WHICH DUBIE YOU BE?

Devan Dubnyk has been outstanding in goal for the Edmonton Oilers this season. His .921SP ranks him 9th in the league in that category, and if you take that one horrible period against San Jose last week out of the equation we’re talking .942SP. Does Dubnyk look like a different goalie? I think he does. Recently he’s been ranging out of his net more to cut angles and has been outstanding on breakaways–boasting a quick glove. Mostly though it’s that calmness he’s always had (I called it Dreger Face on twitter last night) and I hope they ride Dubnyk until he has a tough game. Why not?

The title of this post comes from one of the funniest lines from 1970′s television. The show didn’t last long, but the line will always be with me. Here’s the promo of the show:

Anyway, it was not a good show, but one of the episodes featured the Doobie Brothers. The line “which Doobie you be?” still makes me laugh 40 years later. Stupid show, funny line.

standings capture

It is razor thin, but the Oilers lead on Minnesota is enough to put them at the top of the division and I’m going to celebrate it every time it happens. We shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves, but this team has real talent, and the maddening things of the past–no one who could move the puck smartly out of the zone, Joffrey Lupul trying to push the puck past the blueline after another bloody Staios around the boards rip, the Smid backdoor blues, the Mike York broken hand 5 on 3–well that was earlier but it was a nadir all its own–seem like distant bells. There’s always something good to talk about after game day.

scoring capture

There’s some very nice numbers here and I do believe they could get better. I used to buy the Hockey News every week from Rexall Drugs in Maidstone Saskatchewan and well remember the day when the Habs took over the scoring list. For about 5 years my Bruins would own the top 25 scorers in the league–Orr, Esposito, Hodge, Cashman, Stanfield, McKenzie, Bucyk–but one week in the fall of 1974 Montreal invaded–Lafleur, Peter Mahovlich, Jacques Lemaire, Steve Shutt, even older guys like Yvan Cournoyer–took much of the list from my Bruins. It was horrible, they even had a defenseman (Guy Lapointe) and it felt terrible. That was the beginning of the 4 in a row club of the late 1970′s.

The Oilers haven’t had a lot of names on the top 25 in the last 20 years, I think they’ll have one soon, maybe even this season.

It is a good day.

71 Responses to "WHICH DUBIE YOU BE?"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If you look at his end to last season — when he semi-officially launched as the #1 — through the spengler through the first 7 games… it looks like we are approaching a real “sample size” to take seriously.

“I hope they ride Dubnyk until he has a tough game. Why not?”

I like the idea of 40 playing again right after a tough game, like after Sharks… sitting him might send the wrong message. I’d sit him on a the next B2B. Otherwise… run him.

2. pboy says:

Would you like to see my flounder?

3. RMGS says:

GREAT match last night (and early this morning). To quote Coach Krueger post-game, “it’s the way hockey should be played.”

4. spoiler says:

Dad? What’s a Doobie?

5. spoiler says:

Eberle last year doesn’t really count as soon?

I think, too, we need to temper our excitement a bit. This team lit it up at the beginning of last season too. They’re improving, but they’re still probably a borderline playoff team at best.

6. grahaeme says:

I think it’s incredible TH’s in the top 15 in the league whilst his SH% is a wee 9.52%.

The Hall-Ebs-RNH line was eating gother guys’ lunch with the cycle for a few shifts last night and they’re still just boys. Cripes.

The thing I wonder about with TH is how he looks like he’s out of control some shifts, like his speed is too much for him. It will be interesting to watch him mature because as of right now he’s the sort of player who looks like a tidal wave out there, pushing and dragging the play behind him. Incredible.

7. Ryan says:

Nuge has been a curious player this season. Haven’t noticed the wizardry with passing the puck as much, but to my eye looks to be playing a very solid 2-way game–and against some real big lines. Did any one notice that one sequence in the third–behind the oilers net on the right side? Nuge looked like a real physical presence pinning a shark into the boards. I couldn’t believe it given his size. Strong little bugger.

I said this in the COL GDT about 40:

I think DD will be fine, but his fine is 15-25th in SV% in the NHL. Serviceable, but not someone to hang your hat on.

Since I said that he’s kicking my prediction to shit.

That’s awesome.

We’ll need larger sample sizes, but he’s certainly trending well.

Great to see.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan: Nuge looked like a real physical presence pinning a shark into the boards. I couldn’t believe it given his size. Strong little bugger.

IIRC that was Thornton too… no shrinking violet.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW can someone in the greater Oiler world actually sit Quinn down and question him about his Homerism?

It’s impossible to listen to him give a counter-narrative to REALITY as it happens.

also, he should be fined every time he says “button hook”

11. sliderule says:

Hall was playing a much more controlled game down in OK city.He was staying on his feet more and picking his spots.
    Since the NHL started up he is going back to getting a little too amped and out of control.With his injury history that worries me.

12. Bos8 says:

I do enjoy a kid developing at the NHL level.. To my shame, I’ve yelled out “Nuuge, you little bugger”. Wrecks my image to shit.

13. rickithebear says:

Romulus Apotheosis: it looks like we are approaching a real “sample size” to take seriously.

It wsa said Dubnyk is not Elite. A response to that flames fan.

Since Nov 8 2012 playing with a Dcore based on:
    Smid-Petry-Whitney-Sutton/N. Schultz
    (no Barker-Gilbert GA nightmare)

20W – 10L – 3 OTL 2.06GA .937 SV%

So this is a full season sample of games with Dmen that are still hear.

So how many .652 WiN% .937 SV% goalies were there last year?

Do you believe the single game that was a full team failure is reflective of his play.

Or the does the 33 games with the major % of the current Dcore more reflective of his play.

Hmm 26 games last year with a record of 16W – 8L – 2 OTL 2.04GA .931 SV%

7 Games this year.
    20 min of team hell.

6 games

373 MIN 199 shots 9G 1.45GA 190/199 = .955 SV%

Really want to see your Elite Goaltender!

14. Clay says:

Right at the beginning of the game, there was that play where the Sharks came in 3 on 3, but Nail left his check at about the top of the RW faceoff circle, and the Shark (maybe Marleau?) continued on to the net. The puck carrier on the LW (Thornton maybe?) hit him with a perfect backdoor pass, and at that point I was already pissed off that SJ scored so early in the 1st period.

Except DD was there waiting for it, and the shot hit him square in the chest. No flail across to make a miraculous save, he anticipated the play and was in perfect position. I was grinning like a fool.

That sort of save from him is what gives me real hope that DD is for real. It was the sort of save we saw Kipper make against us a 1000 times when he was at his best and stealing games on a nightly basis for the Flaims.

15. Clay says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

also, he should be fined every time he says “button hook”

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Clay: Quinn has his issues for sure, but compared to the Flaming Homer Rob Kerr, he sounds like Switzerland.

I actually really like his voice and he’s got solid enthusiasm… and there are definitely worse Homers out there…

but you need to compare up not down.

there was one play from last night that stands out…

Petry gave up the puck in his own zone and then was caught chasing someone to get it back… got a touch on it for a second and then lost it again…

in Quinn speak this = (nothing) And Petry steals the puck! (nothing)

also he went really easy on 6 and 45 on the first goal and 2 and 5 on the second… really easy.

17. Matt.N says:

From BTN team stats (5vs5)

GF/60 = 1.4 (rank = 26)
    GA/60 = 2.4 (rank = 14)
    SF/60 = 25.6 (rank = 25)
    SA/60 = 31.5 (rank = 24)

SV% = .925 (rank = 13)

So, we are riding an above average run of goaltending to make up for getting outshot by a lot.

The goal tending may not be sustainable. Who knows over a short season, but the point is that this doesnt look like a playoff team. Riding on special teams and sv%. We need to improve the shots for and against.

18. Wolfpack says:

That was a great game last night, best I have seen in a while, and I am very pleased the Oilers were able to come back and scrape out a point. A few things that jumped out at me:

Dubnyk appears to have arrived. I have been cheering hard for this guy.

Not sure whether to blame Whitney for the first goal, or Hemsky for giving him the puck in such a terrible spot.

The refs seem to either call way too many penalties, or not enough like last night. Hope they find a happy medium soon.

In OT, Taylor Hall had a shift where he flew up the right wing, chipped the puck off the boards at centre ice and just blew by the defender for a good shot on net. His speed gives him that play against any d-man in the league. When you look at what the Oilers can toss out onto the ice in OT… if they allow games to go to a shoot-out it is their own damn fault.

19. Clay says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Oh, I agree. I got the impression over the last few years that Quinn was over-selling the Oilers’ play in order to keep people from turning the channel.

20. wunderbar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: IIRC that was Thornton too… no shrinking violet.

I believe it was Pavelski, but the point is still the same. RNH is consistently finding himself on the right side of the puck so far, and when he isn’t he goes to the boards and takes the puck away from the player who has it. And gets the thing moving north.

The goals will come bit for my money RNH is far and away the most improved player on the team in this early season. Looks like a completely different player when the Oilers don’t have the puck. I think OKC did very well for him.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Matt.N,

I don’t know how much to lay on the PDO line… but it looks like variance isn’t in our favor right now

maybe that will even out over the season in the same way our shots F and A and save % will?

22. Captain Happy says:

Matt.N:
    From BTN team stats (5vs5)

GF/60 = 1.4 (rank = 26)
    GA/60 = 2.4 (rank = 14)
    SF/60 = 25.6 (rank = 25)
    SA/60 = 31.5 (rank = 24)

SV% = .925 (rank = 13)

Perhaps Dubnyk can keep that from reoccurring.

23. jake70 says:

Hall is flying out there. As long as he keeps his head up. If he is caught with it down, could be disaster. They should get him that camera thing you see on the google map vehicles…..watch for incomming.

Agree with the OT options comment from above poster, if Gagner didn’t take penalty, they might very well have had the 2nd point.

24. DeadmanWaking says:

For a delusional moment of pre-coffee karmic symmetry, I thought it was Bruce who posted the Vancouver celly vid over at Cult (optimally timestamped January 31 at 11:03pm)–flipping the bird–with his pockets full of souvenir blood-encrusted Shark teeth (some fresh, more caked)–at sourpuss Staples who got saddled squeezing sawdust out of the dessicated sand Phoenix the previous night.

“Did you hear that sound?” I was preparing to croak ominously–that’s Staples checking the feed this morning and snapping his straight-razor clean in half. He’s sitting there, drumming drumming drumming his pudgy fingers and stroking his chin to summon and nourish an extra-thick coat of pre-playoff stubble … planning his revenge … on–let me check that as my vertical hold asserts itself–oh double shucks foofoo–noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that’s just not as much fun. Life takes delusion hard to the mat.

Preemptive warning shot? Perhaps. Staples could be down to his very last straight razor, and doesn’t want to spoil his Friday night with the missus–circled on the calendar for weeks now–by having Bruce jingling and gloating his pocket full of shark teeth around the water cooler the whole damn day.

But I liked it better when I was still in my happy fog.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Happy: Exactly what happened early last season until the Khabibulin House of Cards collapsed.

Perhaps Dubnyk can keep that from reoccurring.

26. bookjLe says:

The thing with Dubnyk is he also looks good and comfortable. This isn’t a goalie running on adrenaline flopping his way against teams that don’t know who he is. He looks like a real goalie.

27. ashley says:

bookjLe:
    The thing with Dubnyk is he also looks good and comfortable. This isn’t a goalie running on adrenaline flopping his way against teams that don’t know who he is.He looks like a real goalie.

But he looks that way too, when he lets in 6. It’s hard to read the guy.

28. Captain Happy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That argument only works if you discount the past year of Dubnyk’s play and take the first 7 games as the sole sample size.

It’s not an argument…it’s an observation.

Neither half seasons or 7 games are all that illuminating.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Happy: It’s not an argument…it’s an observation.

Neither half seasons or 7 games are all that illuminating.

Did you not read the comment you approved?

Matt.N:
    From BTN team stats (5vs5)

GF/60 = 1.4 (rank = 26)
    GA/60 = 2.4 (rank = 14)
    SF/60 = 25.6 (rank = 25)
    SA/60 = 31.5 (rank = 24)

SV% = .925 (rank = 13)

That’s an argument: above average goaltending is winning games.

You added that this situation was not unlike last year’s hot start with Nik. That simply furthers the argument on-going.

Except that, that argument ignores that Dubnyk’s goaltending is in line with his last year of play as Ricki and others have pointed out, which throws a wrench into the argument.

I think most people would argue half seasons can be very illuminating. Decisions get made on them all the time (drafts, contracts, trades, etc.)

30. justDOit says:

ashley: But he looks that way too, when he lets in 6.It’s hard to read the guy.

“Let in 6…” is a very misleading phrase. I’d like to see Lundquist, Rinne, Luongo or Quick get thrown to the Sharks like that and not look ‘shaky’ too.

31. rickithebear says:

N. Smith made some comment last night on Sportsnet.
    Teams 5 points out with half a season (41 games) do not make the playoffs.

Made me lookm at the futility of our hope before game 40.

Then I looked at the flames!

Teams need 56 pts in a 48GM season to make the playoffs in WC.
    54 in the east.
    In a 48 game season a team will usually have 6 ovetime losses.

The flames are 1-3-1.

with the expected 6 OTL we can think 1W-3L-6 OTL 8 points. in this group of ten games.

That leaves 38 games remaining that will be outright decisions (wins or losses).
    The flames will need 48 points from this group to hit 56 points.
    They will need to go 24-14 in these 38 outright Games. 10 games above 500.

I think Neil Smith is correct!

5 games in the flames are out of the Playofs! LOL.

32. Clarkenstein says:

Quinn is a homer because the Oil decide who the announcer is going to be. Simple. Did you not like Rod Phillips either? Dubnyk. Playing better than I thought he would to be quite honest. His stellar play so far is covering up some glaring deficiencies that don’t seem to be getting a lot better. On most night SJ may have buried 6 or 7 of those and it wouldn’t be quite so optimistic around the water cooler today. But a point is a point! Having said all that if rookie Schultz could ever start burying those ten bell opportunities he’s getting some of these games wouldn’t be close even if Dubnyk had an average night.

33. oilersfan says:

It is refreshing to look at Button’s draft list and not focus on the top 5. Looking through tthe 10-20 slots, where I hope the Oilers end up (and make the playoffs) one name I hadn’t heard of is this Frederik Gauthier. 6’4 center getting more than a point a game in the Q, apparently fierce competitor and very good defensively. Maybe he could be the long term third line center and Lander the fourth line guy? Couturier light?

34. BlacqueJacque says:

ashley: But he looks that way too, when he lets in 6.It’s hard to read the guy.

You’re pinning the first San Jose game entirely on Dubnyk? GTFO. What kind of value is a comment like that, which disregards the systemic failure of the Oilers (from the coaches on down) on a single player?

And if hr looks calm after letting in a bunch of goals, that’s a good thing! Or do you want Smilin Ilya Bryzgalov circa 2006?

35. FPB94 says:

ashley: But he looks that way too, when he lets in 6.It’s hard to read the guy.

Call it the Carey Price syndrome. Guy looks too talented for the results / looking like he doesn’t care a lot.

All I ever cared for with goalies is save %.

He was league average with an absolutely putrid team. Now he’s pretty good with a decent team in front of him. I like the guy.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Clarkenstein: Quinn is a homer because the Oil decide who the announcer is going to be. Simple.

Going after Quinn is a tired complaint. I know I’m not turning over new rocks.

but after watching mostly other feeds, last night all I could get clean was SN… it’s a shocking difference. And saying he’s better than others, or in the pocket of the Oil, don’t strike me as very good reasons to accept his performance.

justDOit,

BlacqueJacque,

I don’t think it’s a bad idea to make Dubnyk wear his mistakes… sure we can’t hold him solely accountable… but you also don’t want to diffuse the blame such that you lose track of a very bad game played by individuals…

or, I’m a squish and think some middle ground between you two and ashley is warranted.

37. Ryan says:

Outside of the numbers analysis in the above tournament of small sample sizes, anyone else notice the changing of the guard?

Last few years Hall and Eberle were just happy to pot some goals and put up points–now you can see they realize it’s on them whether the team wins or loses. They’re the big dogs on the club and taking responsibility to carry the team.

38. rickithebear says:

oilersfan: Maybe he could be the long term third line center

6’0″+ 190LB+ .70PPG+ @18 centers in the NCAA since 2002

jujhar Khaira 6’3″ 200lb EDM 2012 Rd3 #63
    C. Coyle 6’2″ 207LB SJS 2010 RD1 #28
    N. Bugstad 6’5″212LB FLD 2010 Rd1#19
    L. Leblanc 6’0″ 190LB MTL 2009 Rd1 #18
    D. Stepan 6’0″ 190LB NYR 2008 Rd2 #51
    K. Turris 6’1″ 190LB PHX 2007 Rd1 #3
    C. Wilson 6’1″ 215LB NSH 2007 Rd1 #7
    R. Kesler 6’2″ 205lb VCR 2002 Rd1 #23

This trend hints we have a 40pt 3rd line center in our system.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Harti-Gagner-Yakupov
    XXX-JJK-Rieder
    MP-Lander-Moroz

39. M Parkatti says:

One of my 10 random predictions for the season was that the Oilers would have 2 players finish in the top 20 scorers, something which hasn’t happened since 1990 (Mess/Kurri). We came close in 2001 with Dougie/Guerin, but Guerin was traded mid-season. You could make the argument for 6 different Oilers having a shot, but obviously the best chances belong to the kid line… and wouldn’t that be something?

40. rickithebear says:

ashley: But he looks that way too, when he lets in 6. It’s hard to read the guy.

You Know i like to look at shot type; location of release, path of shot . 7 holes position. he faced 12 perfect strom shots and saved 6.

The TSN guys wanted to blame Dubnyk. but every shot they looked at they new it was close to a no chance shot.. They were looking at each other. Finally M. johnson says “Well Dubnyk has to take some of the blame” allmost in apology cause the shots did not match TSN “Dubnyk sucks Narrative.”

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

rickithebear,

That home opener was a goalie’s nightmare. His team was breaking down on a shift-ly basis, San Jose was jumping on the puck and flying in general, and they were making their shots. At the time I said DD could have had a great period and Oilers would still be down 4-1. Maybe Hasek keeps it to 3-1. Maybe.

At the time I thought, shit, that crater will stay in his stats for a long time. Now we’re five games further along, and already his Sv% is north of .920 even including that debacle. You gotta respect that.

42. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

To say that I’m trying to pin his mistakes on the team is nonsense – as much so as saying Dubnyk ‘let in 6′. They win as a team, and lose as one, but no goalie – not even a shooter tutor – was going to prevent that loss.

43. jonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m pretty certain that MacT will fix the problems with the current TV play-by-play duo.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m not sure I said you said that… and I certainly wasn’t on the “he let in 6″ side.

I just thought the push back against Ashley might steer into the no-man’s land of “everyone was terrible… argh!” which can lead to letting individuals off the hook…

more of a cautionary tale.

jonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t know whose job it is to tell Quinn how to do his job, but if it is MacT, I certainly hope he tells him not to act like we (as Oil fans) are extraordinarily fragile and possess a strong confirmation bias.

45. Zipdot says:

Ryan: I liked how Hall responded after the game when asked if he hoped his line could one day play like Tornton’s. ..

I missed that, what did he say?

46. Bar_Qu says:

I’m confused. Why does anyone care what the talking heads on tv say? They are generally homers or not good enough to make it to national broadcasts or in the pocket of the home team (generally all three). But if you have eyes, you can watch the game and see what occurred. I watched the entire game last night and I would have to think long and hard to remember a single thing either one said. But I do remember the game and my favorite moments.

Hey, don’t let me stop you from commenting, but at the same time, complaining about those guys is finding a problem when things are pretty good otherwise.

BTW, for the Dubnyk detractors, a .925 SV% is a great indicator of ability. It is well in line with previous seasons and even includes poor efforts.

47. BrazilianOil says:

48. Henry says:

DeadmanWaking:

“Did you hear that sound?” I was preparing to croak ominously–that’s Staples checking the feed this morning and snapping his straight-razor clean in half.He’s sitting there, drumming drumming drumming his pudgy fingers and stroking his chin to summon and nourish an extra-thick coat of pre-playoff stubble … planning his revenge … on–let me check that as my vertical hold asserts itself–oh double shucks foofoo–noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that’s just not as much fun.Life takes delusion hard to the mat.

Preemptive warning shot?Perhaps.Staples could be down to his very last straight razor, and doesn’t want to spoil his Friday night with the missus–circled on the calendar for weeks now–by having Bruce jingling and gloating his pocket full of shark teeth around the water cooler the whole damn day.

But I liked it better when I was still in my happy fog.

I was having a perfectly boring day until I read this. Thank you Sir.

49. gogliano says:

rickithebear:
    N. Smith made some comment last night on Sportsnet.
    Teams 5 points out with half a season (41 games) do not make the playoffs.

Made me lookm at the futility of our hope before game 40.

Then I looked at the flames!

Teams need 56 pts in a 48GM season to make the playoffs in WC.
    54 in the east.
    In a 48 game season a team will usually have 6 ovetime losses.

The flames are 1-3-1.

The flames will need 48 points from this group to hit 56 points.
    They will need to go 24-14 in these 38 outright Games. 10 games above 500.

I think Neil Smith is correct!

5 games in the flames are out of the Playofs! LOL.

It isn’t a perfect weighting system but this gives some idea of the hole COL and CAL have already dug themselves:

Falmes would obviously be in a much more dire position if they didn’t have a couple games in hand, but they’re already close to a longshot for the playoffs. Hard to make up points in a league with a loser point (which seems to be more prevalent in the West than East–more even conference, I think).

50. regwald says:

Saw this post. Thought people might find it interesting after last night’s shootout loss.

Niemi Continues Shootout Dominance

From Elias: Neither Sam Gagner nor Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was able to get the puck past Antti Niemi during the shootout of the Sharks’ 3-2 home win over the Oilers. In his career, Niemi has allowed just 23 shootout goals in 105 attempts (22%), the lowest percentage against any of the 39 goaltenders who have been on the ice for at least 100 opponent attempts.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

regwald,

They did both miss the net…

52. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Goalies that give less room to shoot at are gonna generate more misses. Sometimes you do make your luck.

53. Jon K says:

regwald,

It’s probably worth noting that both Gagner and RNH were aiming for open net but simply missed the net on their attempts. I thought it was interesting that apparently Chabot was the one making the shootout picks, apparently.

54. regwald says:

They did miss, but it is also a factor of he did play the shooters well, taking away a good part of the net. Also, just noting that Niemi is one of the best shootout goaltenders as per the article.

Krueger did say after the first shootout win that Chabot supplied the shooters and also gave them advice on tendencies and where to shoot.

55. Ice Sage says:

BrazilianOil: looking the wc standings don,t think the teams wich finally take the play off spots will change so much.

Yeup. LA will displace ANA , EDM or MIN but that’s about it.

56. commonfan14 says:

Since Gagner appears intent on making himself rich this spring or summer, anyone want to guess at what kind of contract he’ll end up with?

I’s love to know what kind of mmulti-year dealls each side was putting on the table prior to settling on the one-year deal.

57. khildahl says:

Ice Sage: Yeup.LA will displace ANA , EDM or MIN but that’s about it.

Fixed. ;)

Zipdot: I missed that, what did he say?

From the Journal:

“It’s a challenge every shift. We really relish that,” Hall said. “We took pride from the fact they didn’t score when we were out against them. If you look at the chances, we probably had more than them. When we’re playing the minutes we are, especially on the road, we can’t control who we match up against, but like I said, going against that trio is a source of pride for us.”

Here’s the link: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Oilers+Taylor+Hall+force+while+riding/7907172/story.html?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_oilers

59. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m pretty sure I never said Dubey didn’t share responsibility. I believe if he was having a great night (like last night), Dubnyk could have kept us in the game. But the fact is, even the best goalies aren’t great every night. Hell, Patrick Roy was having such a bad night in Montreal one time, he demanded a trade when the coach refused to pull him.

So to use a single game, never mind a single period to judge someone is sloppy. Doubly so when it was so obviously the entire team at fault. Yes, Dubey wasn’t standing on his head that night, and he let in one softy and another questionable goal, but the team around him was playing awful – even our vaunted coach didn’t respond until Way Too Late.

Contrast that with a game like Calgary’s loss yesterday to Colorado, where the Flames played a solid game all around (the first line underperformed but wasn’t awful, and the Backlund/Hudler/Cervenka line was great), but Kipper stunk it up. He wasn’t the only one playing soft in the third, but he was clearly most responsible for the loss.

That’s why I responded so harshly to ashley – I don’t find the opinion offensive, I just believe the reasoning behind it is weak. I expect more from the comments on this blog than I do from other sites.

Anyway, I do suppose I went overboard and I apologize.

Awesome quote. I love that kid.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque,

well, I don’t think you need to apologize — but I’ll leave that between you and Ashley.

I agree with everything you said here.

I hope my comment didn’t come off as scolding…

just trying to say, hey Dubnyk wasn’t great that game and there is probably a lesson in there that we needn’t ignore (not that anyone was explicitly) and that that can be true at the same time as we acknowledge how awesome he’s been and how bad the rest of the team/coaches were that night.

or something.

62. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Haha I think we’re just having a discussion :)

63. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

Natural Born Captain.

64. Ryan says:

Zipdot: I missed that, what did he say?

I can’t recall verbatim, but he didn’t get sucked into that one. He said something quite matter-of-fact that they played that line often during the game, created a lot of chances, and spent time in their zone. Main point was he didn’t get sucked into getting all starry eyed over Thornton’s line, looked like he was pissed off over the OT loss… Sort of had the sense he’s really taken on a leadership role.

I dunno mostly it’s just me. Feels better having someone who can actually score goals in a leadership role on a team. I never understood the oilers past penchant for guys like Moreau wearing the c and playing forth line minutes.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Haha I think we’re just having a discussion

true enough :) haha

more often than not, my internal conversations go something like this:

66. vishcosity says:

I stood with my wife outside the arena. Not aware the online ticket sales would be shut down by the time we got there, we went to the ticket window and asked for the cheapest seats available. Apparently Mexico was playing Denmark across the parking lot, there was a wreck on Grand Ave, and due to the crazy traffic, our mates weren’t possibly going to arrive in time. So looking for two seats should be easy right? I’d seen them on the site for $10 each, yet at the window they wanted $40 and we’d already missed the pregame skate. Half price on game day is only a reality in Edmonton apparently.

Scalpers were selling out, then the anthem started, so we watched on the jumbo tron above the doors deciding what to do. It was clear we weren’t getting cheap seats so it was $100 for what? The lady has a clear distain for banks, us giving a C note to those hucksters seemed wrong on every level.

We agreed to use the hundred bucks to buy a few ounces of silver, drove home and caught the rest of the game on tv for free.

So which Dubie do I be? I want to be the good dubie who does everything possible to put the gears to criminal bankers, Bettman included.

But I’ll also be the Dubie who loves to watch the offensive cycle down low by a bunch of kids. I can’t seem to shake my passion for this team, and while I really believe that basically everything about organized pro hockey is antithetical to everything I believe Divinity to really regard, I just love watching Hemsky move with those silky strides, to see Schultz pop into the play from nowhere, to see Yak dig that puck from the corner and rip it across ice, to see Hall drive around a defender. I love watching people do things that I cannot do, be it Olympics, pro football, or kids currently owned by a drug czar who just put the boots to a bunch of elected officials.

While I feel wrong and dirty to support Katz on any level, somehow I’m still super excited to find the Oilers on the tv, last night I sat waiting for the feed to start.

I want to be the Dubie who sees through all the corporate greed yet I’m stuck as just another maniac fan. While I’m glad we missed a boring game, I want to grow up out of this. I want to know the source of my orange and blue blood, and be able to turn it off.

My father in law just got home, told me that if I really want to turn it off, to stop reading about it. Maybe that is the Dubie I will eventually learn to be. Until then I really do want to see these kids grow up and win something. Its like I’ve put in the years of hard work watching DFL hockey, and with the pay off in sight, I feel like I need to continue for at least a little while more. When this group starts to fall apart, maybe then I’ll be done.

67. sliderule says:

@vishcosity
    Sorry you didnt get to see game.

The traffic was do bad after the game it took us 45 minutes to just get to the 101.

Don’t let the assholes that own the teams and run the league ruin your love for the game.

Like the beer commercial “stay happy my friend”

68. asiaoil says:

Tracked this kid since we drafted him and saw all the ups and down. Never said he was a bust in the down games or a star after a few good starts – goalies don’t develop that way. But I called him a solid choice back then – though it was hard to see with him playing on those putrid Kamloops teams. I was sure he was better than the Pogges, Swartz’s and Montoyas who have all faded into the background. He’s a mature goalie with over 100 NHL games under his belt now and the weak errors are starting to fade as he’s able to keep focus for a full 60 minutes more often then not now. That’s the difference with playing net and other positions – a mistake by a forward happens and you have a dman and goalie to cover, a dman mistake and you still have the goalie, a goalie mistake and you are dropping the puck at center ice.

A little fact……..some 33 goalies were picked in 2004 – more than a full round – and only 3 appear to have panned out: Dubie, Schneider and some over-age kid plucked in the 8th round called Rinne. Only 2 have played more than 100 games: Dubbie and Rinne. This is why I have come to agree with avoiding goalies until the 3rd round. The odds are long no matter where you pluck them and the development time takes forever. Draft and follow is the way to go.

I’m not pulling out the “I told you so” line out for Dubnyk just yet – but I’m getting close – real real close. End of the year will give us a verdict but he looks to have covered the bet placed on him which is an accomplishment for a goalie.

Asia: Yes, credit where due. you were on the Dunbyk train right from Kamloops.

70. jp says:

Matt.N:
    From BTN team stats (5vs5)

GF/60 = 1.4 (rank = 26)
    GA/60 = 2.4 (rank = 14)
    SF/60 = 25.6 (rank = 25)
    SA/60 = 31.5 (rank = 24)

SV% = .925 (rank = 13)

Guys, geez.

These numbers don’t suggest they’re riding hot goaltending. They do say they Oilers are getting outshot and outscored 5X5, but it’s great special teams that are keeping their heads above water, not unsustainable goaltending.

Doobie’s .925 SV% is just barely above league average (13th), but the Oilers are shooting just 5.5%, meaning opposing goalies have a .945 SV% 5X5. That means the Oilers have actually been UN-lucky. Good times ahead, unless you think the special teams have been riding luck.

71. asiaoil says:

Asia: Yes, credit where due. you were on the Dunbyk train right from Kamloops.

Balances my brilliant call on Nugent-Hopkins :)

….and nice to see my other long-term guy Smid also emerged right around the number of games played (300 or so) that defensive dmen seem to need to get it together. It just takes that long……