WILD AT OILERS, G16 (12-13) 21.2.13

The Oilers were a strong team up the middle each time they played for the Stanley. Homegrown Horcoff-Stoll and Mike Peca were around for the ’06 run and you know the list (99, Messier, Linseman, MacT, etc) from the glory years. The good 90s and 00s teams had the Manhattan Transfer (Weight, Marchant) and the current group is mostly homegrown (Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Lander and outsider Belanger).

Can the Oilers build around Nuge-Gagner as 1-2? I think so, but they would need a strong 2-way C (a young Horcoff, Stoll, MacTavish or Marchant is not currently on the horizon) to complement the duo at the top.

The Nuge is going to take care of a lot of his own business when he’s older–hell, he already is–but Samwise is falling year over year.

11-12 Corsi (center)

11-12 sam

Sam’s Corsi was the best among last year’s centermen (Eberle’s inclusion is an error). He looks good compared to the group in terms of Corsi and P/60.

12-13 Corsi (center)

12-13 Sam

Nuge is of course emerging (his offense is gaining a lot of attention, perhaps burying the lead: Nuge is very good at things like getting the puck, recognizing and reacting to plays defensively and grabbing loose pucks).

Sam Gagner is not getting punishing zone starts or qual comp, and his (and Hemsky’s) Corsi Rel is in the ditch. We haven’t seen Dennis King’s scoring chances yet this season, but I suspect we’re going to find the Nuge line is ripping it up while the other forwards–including Gagner’s line–are not at par.

That is a concern.

My own feeling is that they should keep Samwise. I confess to not knowing what the problem is, and do worry about this summer’s contract. However, he’s a wonderfully skilled young player who has (previous to this season) improved in important areas.

I would rather hire a 2-way checking C than trade Sam for him. Warts and all, Sam Gagner contributes to goal scoring and that’s the toughest thing to do in the game.

standingsfeb

Second place in the division is a free for all, with four teams within three points of each other. Three of those teams can’t score and the other one can’t stop the puck (Calgary’s 54 goals against is a conference worst).

I’m not big on “must win” games, because that phrase should be saved for seasons like 2005-06. This is a good test of character, that I will say.

I’m not sure if Peckham draws into the lineup or Petrell does, but Ryan Jones is apparently ready to come off the IR by Saturday. That will require a roster move, and I’m hopeful they don’t just take the easy way out and send down Paajarvi. He’s earned the opportunity to play, and giving him the opportunity to build on recent success is a big part of this season. This year is about getting better, but it’s also about finding out what these kids can do, I believe the best plan is for the team to make a decision on one of the D.

I wonder if Krueger will put Peckham up front for a few games? He’s a truculent player, very physical and could drive opposition defensemen to distraction. I hate that kind of move (changing a defenseman to forward) but would rather see Peckham fill the role than Hordichuk.

369 Responses to "WILD AT OILERS, G16 (12-13) 21.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

As for lines, etc. No idea where to slot Yak at evens, and I expect Krueger feels the same. Yak flies the zone the moment he thinks we have the puck, the issue is that only 2 of our 6 guys can get him the puck on the fly and usually we turn it over at our blueline. The Oil need to get cleaner on their zone exits, and right now we lose the battles at the blue far too often. We don’t need knuckle draggers, but we do need grit. At some point another “NHL” trade will have to happen, where we are mostly annoyed and not sure if it was a good trade for us (ie. Glbert/Shultz). Maybe it’s Gagner for O’Reilly, I don’t know, but something needs to happen to help balance out this team.

We need a better top 2 option then the Elder, and we need someone with sandpaper in the top 9. Jones will help, but on a good team he is a 4th liner. If we want a shot at the playoffs, our 4th line next year should be Smyth-Horc-Jones. Unfortunately, on this team that is our 3rd line and right there is a big reason we are not true contenders.

As for the D, I think they expect Klefbom on the big squad next year. Prob pair him with the Elder as our 3rd pair. so once again we need a better partner for the Younger.

2. 42 percent body fat says:

good corsi last year, check
    top defensive numbers on the team last year, check
    still the biggest of our top forwards, check
    will have 400 games played end of year and only 23, check
    always in top 3 five on five scoring, check
    leads team in pp scoring this year per 60, check
    leads team in scoring this year, check
    leads team in scoring per 60, check
    could argue best numbers among regular penalty killers this year, check
    one of the oilers top shoot out guys, check

Trading Gagner without a replacement for most of these will kill us.
    Why is Eberle not getting trashed for his terrible defensive play? Because Taylor Hall is driving his numbers through the roof!

These guys are still young, and for those of you thinking Gagners offensive numbers will regress back to the mean, his corsi numbers, and scoring chances against will also.

New coach, new system. We hit the reset button and now we have to wait for it to reload. Eberle will start scoring again (maybe not the rate of last year).

For those of you suggesting Barkov will be better next year. Get your heads out of your ass. Remember everyone wanting Johanson from Columbus. When Mackenzie say NHL ready it mostly means he will not get killed physically (whether it is because of size and or skill) and will be good enough not to get demoted. On teams drafting that high that doesn’t say much. Barkov may win more faceoffs next year but he will get eaten alive In Gagners spot.

Simple solution to five on five woes and recent pp struggles. Give the first pp minutes to 89-83-64 and give the lost minutes of the pp of 4-93-14 extra five on five. Only makes sense to put the lines in situations where they are doing best, and right now 89s line is killing the nuge line on pp, and visa versa for five on five.

3. humantorch says:

This, unfortunately, is probably exactly what Tambicakes is going to do.

4. Ice Sage says:

For tonight, we all know the script: Minnesota’s skill players (Heatly, Parise, Suter, Setoguchi, heck even Granlund) will shine and score timely goals, their goaltender will have his ‘best game of the season’ and the handwringing about Oilers ‘lack of puck luck’ will continue. We’ll shuffle Peckham and Paajarvi deck chairs while in denial as to the fundamental immaturity and timidness of this team.
    I’d be delighted to see anything else though – if they can get 50+ shots for…
    This season feels like one long SCF 83 – a protracted, harsh schooling on the subject of ‘winning hockey’. Hope they’re learning…
    GOIL

5. OiOiOil says:

Petrell is on a one way and will be safe. With Jones injured to start the season it was Hartis and MPSs chance to show they can take his spot. Neither came remotely close. Harti has been givin #1 PP and even top 6 minutes and has nothing to show for it. While MPS threw a hit this season and scored a nice one timer, I still don’t see any significant change to his game from last season, he’ll have similar success to last year unless he’s put with Jones and they re-enact his rookie year.

Harti or MPS will go down. This wouldn’t even be a conversation if either had shown they were indisputable NHLers. Neither did, and I’d hate to see either of them when they’re not playing for a spot on the team.

OiOiOil,

Did they not fall down enough?

DId they not fly the zone early and cheat for offense enough?

Is their hair not long enough?

Curious to know how they didn’t fill the Jones void in your opinion.

7. OiOiOil says:

Woodguy,

I’m pretty sure I articulated some points on why, unlike you who just presented a bunch of snide rhetorical questions.

But here’s some more I guess.

He was more productive on the PP than Harti is this season.
    He was more productive than both of them combined even strength.
    He was our best PK winger to my recollection so I’m sure I can find stats comparing him to MPS on PK.
    He had more blocked shots than both combined by this time.
    He had more hits than both combined by this time.

Need more?

42 percent body fat,

good corsi last year, check

It was ok at .490
    He was .462 away from Hall and .470 away from Hemsky.
    Not buring it up, but ok. The reliance on Hall is clear.

top defensive numbers on the team last year, check

Which numbers are you looking at?

still the biggest of our top forwards, check

Hall and Hemsky are bigger

will have 400 games played end of year and only 23, check
    always in top 3 five on five scoring, check
    leads team in pp scoring this year per 60, check
    leads team in scoring this year, check
    leads team in scoring per 60, check
    could argue best numbers among regular penalty killers this year, check
    one of the oilers top shoot out guys, check

All very good points.

Trading Gagner without a replacement for most of these will kill us.

I don’t think you trade him unless what is coming back is an improvement.

Trading him without a C coming back is suicide today.

Another very good point.

14;’s out shooting share last year:

Overall .480
    With Hall .519
    Without Hall .461

This year’s #’s

Overall .523
    With Hall .543
    Without Hall .411

He’s played 158min with Hall and 35 min without. Sample is small and numbers can vary wildly at this point, especially the without number. 35 min is very small.

14 should give 4 1/3 of his new pay cheques.

OiOiOil,

He was more productive on the PP than Harti is this season.
    He was more productive than both of them combined even strength.
    He had more blocked shots than both combined by this time.
    He had more hits than both combined by this time.
    Need more?

You’re right, I’m being snide, but Jones is not the future of this team, 91 and 56 are.

I have no time for him on my team.

I will concede his 5v5 results are better than 91 and 56, but at their age Jones was still at Miami.

He does go to the net for garbage better than anyone not named Smyth on the roster and they could sure use more of that.

10. OiOiOil says:

“If you are using the first 15 games as your Jones sample, then I’m using the 20 games from Dec 29- Feb 15 where Jones went 0g 4a -7 as my sample.”

OK fine, he still has the same amount of points as both of them combined. And their games played would add up to 26.

Maybe they are the FUTURE maybe they’re not, I don’t have a time machine so I don’t know. But what I do know is that the goal right now is playoofs. And right now we have better options than both of them.

Another winnable game for the Oilers.

MIN is still a team that gets out shot and out chanced regularly and the Oilers need to capitalize on that.

I thought the addition of Parise, Suter and Gilbert would help that

Parise is at .500 on shots, Gilbert is .474 and Suter is .426

Jonas Brodin is playing with him, but it seems to be hurting Brodin more than Suter.

Suter overall .426
    With Brodin .459
    Without Brodin.388 (only 35 min apart, but that’s gross)
    Brodin apart from Suter .607 (37 min)

Hmmmmm

You are hearing Brodin’s name in Calder talk a lot too.

Klefbom played with Brodin last year and while Brodin was the better of the two, many have said they were not far apart in terms of talent.

Since Klef got his shoulder surgery before joining the OIlers, we will be perfect!

Key to the game is getting some PP’s and getting some goals.

If that wild bitch variance takes her foot off the Oilers’ neck 5v5 that would be nice too.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

OiOiOil:

OK fine, he still has the same amount of points as both of them combined.And their games played would add up to 26.

Maybe they are the FUTURE maybe they’re not, I don’t have a time machine so I don’t know.But what I do know is that the goal right now is playoofs.And right now we have better options than both of them.

All of that is very fair, but I still think its the hair.

13. OiOiOil says:

Either way, this was their chance. They knew it was and what have either done to leave Tambi no decision as to them staying with this team?

You can make a stronger arguement for MPS with 2 GWG but really the second was all Smyth and I don’t see any difference in his play from last season.

“But I still think it’s the hair”
    Agreed, it distracts defensemen chasing him on breakaways.

14. Clay says:

Of all the head-scratchers by Oiler management between lockouts, trading Brodziak for nothing draft picks may be the most ridiculous. How badly they could use him now.

That, and letting GlenX walk. How badly they could use that guy now.

And letting Hejda walk. How badly they could use that guy now.

But that said, if they would’ve kept those guys, they might not have finished 30th, 30th, 29th, so instead of Hall, Nuge, Yak, they’d be slumming it with Seguin, Landeskog, and Murray.

Oh, wait.

Is it too early for beer?

15. Clay says:

The best thing to come from the last game is we were 49 seconds from having a goalie controversy. Jeff Carter ensured that Dubnyk wouldn’t have to worry about his #1 status.

There has been more and more talk about zone entries and neutral zone play here.

Thought I’d post some of the stuff by Eric T that piqued my interest in the whole thing.

Sorry if I’m polluting the GDT LT, I’ll back off for a while.

Also,

His post on why you can use shot differential for a scoring chance proxy is excellent:

17. OiOiOil says:

Clay:

Of all the head-scratchers by Oiler management between lockouts, trading Brodziak for nothing draft picks may be the most ridiculous.How badly they could use him now.

That, and letting GlenX walk.How badly they could use that guy now.

And letting Hejda walk.How badly they could use that guy now.

Oh, wait.

Is it too early for beer?

Looking back you can pick and choose all the good players let go, but as you concluded we would have what we have today if that were the case. There’s also no guarantee they progress with us the same as any other team. All you can do is try to fill the holes you have which is a lot easier said than done.

“Is it too early for beer?”

Can the Oilers score 5on5?

18. FPB94 says:

Jones has averaged 16,3 goals for 3 full seasons now in the NHL. Yeah he’s got a high shooting %, but that’s also because most of his shots come from the crease and now some EthanRiflesDownTheWing.

It’s been 3 full years now that he’s shooting 12-13%, and EVEN if his Corsi his bad it matters much less because of that; most 3rd liners shoot around 6-7%.

The bottom 6 production is putrid, this guy showed he can and will score, i’d give him a chance.

Send Petrell or Peckham down: They’ve been given chances and are known garbage.

19. RMGS says:

Woodguy: Another winnable game for the Oilers.

After Tuesday’s debacle, I vowed not to burn the midnight oil (hah!) watching the team on eastern time, but I’ve relapsed. Another groggy morning’s up ahead.

I’ll be focusing on the match-ups, both against the opposition and the team’s forward-defence combos. The coach will likely continue to eschew matching for zone starts, so I’m curious to see how it works (or not) for him tonight.

20. Captain Obvious says:

OiOiOil,

I’m with Woodguy on Jones. However, that’s immaterial since Paajarvi and Haartikainen are competing with Petrell for a spot and Paajarvi and Haartikainen are pretty clearly better hockey players than Petrell. Not only do they look much better but they generate more shots while allowing fewer. Unless you think generating and preventing shots isn’t important?

Now it’s true that being better than Petrell is the definition of damning with faint praise.

21. cabbiesmacker says:

42 percent body fat:
    good corsi last year, check
    top defensive numbers on the team last year, check
    still the biggest of our topforwards, check
    will have 400 games played end of year and only 23, check
    always in top 3 five on five scoring, check
    leads team in pp scoring this year per 60, check
    leads team in scoring this year, check
    leads team in scoring per 60, check
    could argue best numbers among regular penalty killers this year, check
    one of the oilers top shoot out guys, check

Trading Gagner without a replacement for most of these will kill us.

Forgot RNH’s injury?

Gagner’s #1 TOI linemates EV 2011/2012 = Hall and Hemsky, check

Gagner’s #2 TOI linemates EV 2011/2012 = Hall and Eberle, check

Gagner’s #3 TOI linemates EV 2011/2012 = Belanger and Jones, check

Not too difficult to hypothesize why his numbers are skewed downwards is it?

Is your question whether or not it would be good planning to move a good PP option for a good 2 way player who put up more points last year than Sammy has managed in any of his 6?

22. LMHF#1 says:

Clay:

That, and letting GlenX walk.How badly they could use that guy now.

And letting Hejda walk.How badly they could use that guy now.

One of these things is not like the others…

23. wheatnoil says:

If you go by WOWY numbers, the best place to put Jones when he returns is on a line with Belanger and Smyth… although he did well in limited minutes (75 total) with Paajarvi. Then, when Horcoff returns, you replace Belanger with Horcoff.

As for who gets demoted… why not Petrell? He was demoted for a period last year and cleared waivers just fine as I remember. If the Oilers are worried about PK ability, Jones has shown an ability to play on the PK last year.

24. RMGS says:

Teddy’s in – paired with Fistric. It’s a Don Cherry wet dream!

Whitney has to be on his way out soon, doesn’t he?

25. danny says:

Maybe Sam can be our joffrey lupul. Are Nashville gonna trade weber as soon as their trade embargo lifts this off season? Pump and dump Gagner beats overpaid gagner.

Gags, klefbom, ’13 + ’14 first rounders. Oh and a 5th to make it 5 assets.

26. jonrmcleod says:

So the Wild spent $196,000,000 on Nashville’s second-best defender and New Jersey’s third-best forward (in scoring). If the Oilers win, I might go trolling on a certain Wild blog.

27. OiOiOil says:

Captain Obvious,

I really don’t think they were competing against Petrell at all. Based on their 2nd/1st line placement in OKC that puts them as competing on at least a minor level for points. 4th line isn’t expected to get many points. 3rd line has a certain amount of pressure to at least put up some and help win some games over the season. With that said:

By the comments today from RK, Petrell will be playing Saturday. Which means one of 3 things. Either

1) Jones isn’t coming off IR Saturday
    2) Harti or MPS are getting sent down
    3) A defensemen is being moved

With what RK has been saying since the start of the season the likeliness of these would be ranked as:

2, 1, 3

28. Spydyr says:

“Sam Gagner contributes to goal scoring ”

He sure does and even some times for the OIlers

29. 42 percent body fat says:

Woodguy,

Gagner is our biggest top 6. No one uses height in any equation. E=MC2 not E=HC2. The smartest man to have ever lived would have said Gagner is bigger than hall and hemsky. Hall will be bigger next year.

Gagner corsi number last year was good for the oilers.

For defensive numbers, we can start with a team high in plus minus with tough minutes. His chances for/against differential was one of the highest on the team despite not having as many chance for, meaning he was really limiting chances against. Eberle had the most chances for but the worst differential. Thats not good. Also, has Eberle ever played with bad linemates.

@CABBIESMACKER

on the oilers it doesn’t matter who you are. Hall helps your numbers. you want a bigger more productive 2nd line center you aint getting it. Eberle defensively plays an easier position, and he isn’t getting the job done in our end either. He isn’t scoring as much and will make 6M next year, why don’t we call for him to be traded. I don’t want him gone, but regression happens. (that’s why we shouldnt have rushed to sign him).

Also RNH injury means nothing. Either way he is finally playing with good linemates. All it means is he sees tougher minutes and more of them in total, with more responsibility. So that would help my argument.

Now RNH line is getting killed on the pp as opposed to the Gagner line. So take away 5 on 5 time from the gagner line who is getting killed and give them the first line pp time. No that means you can give the RNH line more 5 on 5 where they are playing better. That simple.

Also go look at gagners 5×5 numbers the last couple years. He is always near the top for oilers. Things will find a way back to the norm.

I’ve been looking for this for two days

Centermen scoring chances through 10 games
    RNH – 4.73
    Gagner – 3.56
    Belanger – 1.82
    Horcoff – 1.48

I think the missing table leg is scoring chances. If we could add that to the conversation imo we’d be laughing. I do think Gagner’s a more effective player than the current Corsi, which isn’t to say that the Corsi should not be a concern.

31. hunter1909 says:

jonrmcleod,

M.A.Pouliot and J.F.”Crazy Train” Jacques say hello.

32. DBO says:

Peckham in for Whitney. wow. bye bye Whitney. Sorry you hurt your ankle and were never the same cause boy if you were healthy we would be talking about how great our D depth is, instead we are debating #6 dmen. ouch.

The lack of one top four defenseman is the main problem with the Oilers.

Sam Gagner is imperfect, but he is not a problem. That he can provide secondary offense is a good thing.

The thing is that the Oilers can probably get away with offering Sam Gagner a lot of money on a two year deal. This means they can draft Barkov or Monahan or Lazar in the first round, and in two years they will be ready.

If Gagner wants a 5 year deal, when he will have to cut down the per season value to not to much over $4 miilion per, but on a 2-year deal, the Oilers can get away with offering near $5 million (if Gagner is producing at a PPG).

If Gagner wants to be part of what is happening in Edmonton, a two-year deal should not be a big issue. He will be 25 or 26 coming out of it, and still in position for a big contract spanning his prime.

I don’t think one should be offering 2nd line players long deals anyway. The long deals should be reserved for 1st line players and top 4 D.

One can no longer bury contracts, a la Redden, so one will have to be much harder on term to all your non-elite players.

34. jonrmcleod says:

hunter1909,

Hi. But I must confess that I don’t understand.

35. DeadmanWaking says:

DBO: Not too sure what to expect with this team tonight. We usually lose to Minnesota in a snoozer, so here’s hoping the opposite happens and we win in a high scoring affair.

During the long dicker, I was thinking about how the Flames declared to themselves a few years back that their path to the playoffs went through Edmonton. Hmmm, I said to myself, as things appear to be shaping up, our path goes through Minnesota. Why not Calgary in good revolving yin/yang dim sum rivalry spirit? Well, first, unlike Calgary we’re not just trying to make the playoffs. Second, it suffers the flaw of not being actually true, unless they’ve restructured the playoffs to admit 24 teams and I didn’t hear about it (unfortunately, on recent data, that sword is razor sharp on both sides–it really is crazy-making).

Finally, here’s something from the dept. of weird things that float through my head right after my eyes pop open.

Jinxed Sphinx: Sex is the false bottomless cup, though I’ve heard that false bottoms are now possible.
    Sergeant Stillwater: Whoa, that’s deep.
    Jinxed Sphinx: Dude … what’s the opposite of deep?
    Sergeant Stillwater: Whoa, you’re blowing my mind.
    Jinxed Sphinx: Hey! Who just cut the cheese?
    Sergeant Stillwater: Whoa, that’s deep.

Actually, the last time the loose-nostrilled Sphinx cracked that joke Krakatoa completely lost it. I guess you had to be there. Fart jokes are the favoritest material of petrified pre-cogs. No one laughs and everyone goes code Marsh Gas to secure their proboscii, except for the flipper kid who shrieks Not Between The Knuckles! at the nearest Good Samaritan (the human mirror neurons are not yet evolved enough to apply the opposable thumb to anyone else’s nose, and the Sphinx secretly knows it will be a dark day in petrified eternity when the human species finally evolves over the cleft; meanwhile: good times. Never a dull two hundred years.)

But there’s always a dark side. As day comes after night this minor merriment caused the Egyptians to lock away the flipper kids in unmarked attics; this pre-Enlightenment pre-cognititive shit really messes with a society’s grasp of cause and effect. No-one wants to risk another Krakatoa when the Sphinx gets it into his noggin that this routine is waaay funnier than “Hey Adam! Pull my finger.” Also, he’s never quite forgiven the rascal who climbed up onto his lower lip with a pot of honey and a shovel full of ant-hill, just to get a reaction from a girl he liked who finally had to show her dimples when the Sphinx became a captive eyeball toy apparently deeply preoccupied with the schnoz he no longer possessed.

That’s kind of funny, actually. I should sleep more often.

36. RMGS says:

I’ve been looking for this for two days

Centermen scoring chances through 10 games
    RNH – 4.73
    Gagner – 3.56
    Belanger – 1.82
    Horcoff – 1.48

The coach tried what Dellow (and others) suggested by taking the rookie off the Gagner-Hemsky line. They’re not facing top opposition, but their opponents are no slouches either, as Willis pointed out at the EJ (I think). But, Gagner-Hemsky’s Corsi didn’t improve much.

At this point, I say put the rookie back in the top six (at least until Horcoff’s back). He’ll still lag behind on defense, but I think he’s improving by eye and number (if slightly). Another poster suggested this a couple of days ago:

89-4-14
    93-64-83

I’d be curious to see how that would work.

37. BlacqueJacque says:

Thrilled with Peckham coming in. He looked really calm and focused in his interviews from practice yesterday. Sort of a “yeah, I heard the shit people are saying but you just watch” vibe.

38. DeadmanWaking says:

One more thing:

Enough with the false bottoms. Starting tonight.

39. cabbiesmacker says:

DeadmanWaking,

Did you and I ever do acid together in the 70′s?

If not are you William S. Burroughs by chance?

40. cabbiesmacker says:

RMGS: The Staples “Neilson numbers” Dellow cites may be the closest proxy to scoring chances broken down we have in lieu of King’s charts, and they reflect the disconnect we see.

The coach tried what Dellow (and others) suggested by taking the rookie off the Gagner-Hemsky line.They’re not facing top opposition, but their opponents are no slouches either, as Willis pointed out at the EJ (I think).But, Gagner-Hemsky’s Corsi didn’t improve much.

At this point, I say put the rookie back in the top six (at least until Horcoff’s back).He’ll still lag behind on defense, but I think he’s improving by eye and number (if slightly).Another poster suggested this a couple of days ago:

89-4-14
    93-64-83

I’d be curious to see how that would work.

just for shits and giggles I’d throw Horcoff between 83 and 64 when he comes back from injury.

If he posts better numbers than 89 all is exposed and tradeplans can be drawn up

41. B S says:

I’ve been looking for this for two days

Centermen scoring chances through 10 games
    RNH – 4.73
    Gagner – 3.56
    Belanger – 1.82
    Horcoff – 1.48

Which is what I was pointing out last night. His line isn’t shooting as much, but still holding onto the puck. The shooting% across that line is high for everyone, suggesting they’re being picky with their shots, especially Hemsky. Finally found Gagner’s save%: .907, lowest of the regular Centers (ahead of VV and err… Petrell), lost a bit of my lunch money for looking it up I guess as I’ve been championing Gags as allowing low percentage shots. I don’t think Yak is helping much either (.890 Save% when he’s on the ice) and Hemsky’s not much better, but acceptable (.914). Still like Gagner as second C and he’s not as bad as his Corsi, but he needs to get it together and that line needs to start outscoring 5v5 (not outchancing, or outshooting, just as long as they’re getting more goals).

42. hunter1909 says:

I’ll toss my hat into the management ring:

1 – Jettison Ryan Whitney A.S.A.fucking P. This is a negative personality venting it’s ID out in the workplace. Yeah ha, IF Whitney could play….”but he CAN’T play” Bette Davis(paraphrased).

Whitney’s making me think he’s crazier than me – and this isn’t a good sign. Honest.

2 – Find a few defencemen, namely 1-2 also at least another centre. Gagner’s using the Oilers as his personal springboard to a big payday and while that’s no doubt admirable to the future Mrs. Gagner, the reality is he’s too small to play with RNH – of course Oiler’s might as well let him walk as a UFA. I’d hope they do that, myself.

Where they manage to find these gems, well…”That’s not my pigeon”. Irwin Rommel(paraphrased).

43. Ribs says:

Dittrick tweets…
    PM Bouchard returns to the lineup tonight for the #MNWild. Not the news the #Oilers wanted. He’s scored 12G & 41PTS lifetime vs. EDM.

Grrrreeeeeat.

44. delooper says:

Is it really as set in stone as everyone here seems to be making it out? I mean, if Gagner goes to arbitration (he’s an RFA not a UFA, right?) is an arbitrator really only going to look at point production and ignore a potentially team-bottom plus-minus stat, and all the other similar indicators?

45. Traktor says:

Trading Gagner now would be selling high so I suspect we will hold onto him. You never know though with MacT in the room..I wonder how much say he has.

46. denny33 says:

godot10,

I agree about the need for a top 4 defenceman and to be honest not really sure about some of our other D-man. ( Petry, N. & Schultz and even Smid have been so-so )

So, why go after Barkvo, Monohan or any other forward?

As an aside – and yes I know he is older – Mark Scheifle who can’t crack a team like the Winnipeg Jets ( hello Sean Coutourier ) keeps OWNING Sean Monohan in the OHL.

How about a Zadorov or Nurse both well over 6 feet…maybe even Pulock?

Might be time to start picking Defenceman in the 1st round……although, I will concede I am a draft the best person available kind of guy.

National Post had an article about the Oilers and seemed to express frustration from RK about the young Oilers puck management. Young players are not willing to dump it past the defenseman and go get it….

Agreed on Gagner – at times he is scary to watch in his own end – not because he is out of position – but because he can’t physically handle the opposition player. Scorers are not easy to find though and should never be taken for granted.

47. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

More importantly – he CANNOT be worse than Ryan Whitney.

Although, I imagine Peckham will need a few games to get things going…..

48. S. Crowe says:

the Peckham-Fistric pairing has disaster written all over it…

49. DBO says:

S. Crowe,

nice SOA reference.

\and yeah, possible clown music when they are out there. although maybe they will be the first Oil d pair to actually make forwards anxious about getting smashed, “don’t you ever touch my puck!”

50. S. Crowe says:

DBO,

Actually, it’s my name (Sam Crowe). Weird, eh?

51. DBO says:

S. Crowe,

well then. solid. do not buy a harley and drive through california. just saying.

denny33:
    godot10,

So, why go after Barkvo, Monohan or any other forward?

As an aside – and yes I know he is older – Mark Scheifle who can’t crack a team like the Winnipeg Jets ( hello Sean Coutourier )keeps OWNING Sean Monohan in the OHL.

How about a Zadorov or Nurse both well over 6 feet…maybe even Pulock?

The Oilers have accumulated a lot of D prospects. The general concensus is that the risk reward of drafting defensemen high in the first round is poor. So unless Tambellini wins the lottery again, and Seth Jones falls into the OIlers lap, this draft has a lot of nice looking centres, who will be ready in a couple of years, if one treats Gagner as a transitional centre, until the cluster attracts a better one, or until the OIlers can develop a better replacement.

Gagner on a 2-year deal, even for a lot of money, is not a dangerous contract. (Too long of term is the real danger with Gagner’s next contract. It is dangerous to give term to a player who cannot play the tough minutes.)

53. B S says:

DBO,

Probably what I miss most about Pronger. Fistric and Peckham should be daring the opposition to dump the puck in, they’ll be sitting -6 on the night in a 5-3 loss, but the Wild will be subbing Gilbert in as a Center for the next 3 weeks.

54. hunter1909 says:

MEMO TO MR. KATZ: The more intelligent Oiler fans can tell Oilers are set to emerge in the next few years as a legitimate contender for the big prize.

They understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day, but please, for fuck sakes and for everything honest and true – fire whoever is behind the philosophy which seems to state that the team has got to endure seasons with gaping holes throughout the lineup, with trade deadline day held as some kind of “Miracle Day” TM Lowe inc.

55. S. Crowe says:

DBO,

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked about SOA, but it’s all good.

Got me laid once.

56. delooper says:

S. Crowe: man and to be honest not really sure about some of our other D-man. ( Petry, N. & Schultz and even S

Actually, it has Edmonton Oilers before they acquired Ryan Whitney written all over it. The team that couldn’t get the puck out of their own end. Luckily, there’s other pairings so they don’t have to be on the ice all the time.

57. hunter1909 says:

During the last off season, did anyone in mgmt. honestly think Ryan Whitney was still close to a viable defenceman, since I as a fan could see he was washed up? I don’t get it.

Not only that, but there was literally NO NEED WHATSOEVER to improve on the 29th and formerly 30th place Oilers defense!??

They must want to tank it again. Seriously.

There’s simply no other way to frame this: We’re still in the Overlook, Wendy. And I hear Scatman’s snow cat approaching, which now that I think of it resembles Manstein’s ultimately unsuccessful rescue attempt of Paulus’s crew back in 1943.

58. delooper says:

I imagine if Horcoff and Jones weren’t injured the team would have another 4 points by now and people would be a little happier and more willing to overlook Whitney’s play. Optimism is an infectious disease.

59. VanOil says:

B S:
    DBO,

Probably what I miss most aboutPronger. Fistric and Peckham should be daring the opposition to dump the puck in, they’ll be sitting-6 on the night in a 5-3 loss, but the Wild will be subbing Gilbert in as a Center for the next 3 weeks.

This could count as a strategic win if we ever to witness playoff hockey again, for tonight though it could be ugly.

For those of you calling for a top pairing defense man to be acquired by trade where do you see Kelfbom in the next couple years? I know it is infuriating to wait but watching Hemsky lift the cup in New York, Gagner in Chicago or MPS turn into a Selke winner some where else would steam my giblet.

All I require to be happy about this season is an 8th place finish and not getting swept in the first round. I think and competent bottom pair defender acquired at low cost and Nuge’s and Schultz Jr’s shoulders holding out is all that is required. As Delooper mentioned Horcoff and Jones coming back is a pretty big boost in the bottom 6 forwards.

hunter1909:

They must want to tank it again. Seriously.

Were you interested in 29-year old Dennis Wideman for 5 years at $5.25 million per season?

The price of Hjallmarsson in a trade was supposed Gagner.

And clearly, Hemsky, nor Gagner, was remotely enough for Yandle after being devalued by Renney last year?

Can you provide a reasonable option for a proven top 4 D at a reasonable price in contract or trade that the Oilers should have pursued? Rather than just criticizing.

Who exactly did the Oilers miss out on?

I think they are going to have to play one of Petry or Schultz a little more often tonight. That third pairing is not going to be able to do much with the puck.

Hey TSN just mentioned that Oilogosphere stud D UFA, 6-years @ $4.6 million dollar bargain Jason Garrison with a hometown discount is down on the 3rd pairing after 15 games.

It looks like he is still decent defensively, but all that Brian Campbell assisted offense is toast.

Pretty big cap hit for a long time for a purely defensive D.

Finding D is easier said and desired than actually done.

63. DBO says:

godot10,

See Tyler Myers. Which is why big 2nd deals are not always the best thing, especially for D.

64. Captain Happy says:

godot10:

Pretty big cap hit for a long time for a purely defensive D.

Finding D is easier said and desired than actually done.

The Canucks moved Tanev up because he’s a right handed shot.

The problem was that Edler was not playing well because he had been forced to his wrong side.

65. DBO says:

Captain Happy,

Which ids why balance is important. Klefbom is a lefty, but probably should start on the 3rd pairing on ideally in the AHL. So a better 3rd pairing RH dman then Potter and an upgrade on the Elder so he can slide down to the 3rd pairing would make a lot of sense. Of course as mentioned many times, easier said then done.

66. bookje says:

I imagine Ralph Krueger gave them a special “this rubber disk is called a puck…” lesson today.

67. spoiler says:

Happy 37th Birthday, Smytty!

Thanks for all the sweat, blood and tears over the years.

68. bookje says:

hunter1909:

They must want to tank it again. Seriously.

spoiler:
    Happy 37th Birthday, Smytty!

Thanks for all the sweat, blood and tears over the years.

Amen to that. What a great player over a long time.

70. Captain Happy says:

Anyone watching the Leafs game?

JVR is going to be a beast.

S. Crowe:
    the Peckham-Fistric pairing has disaster written all over it…

Off the glass and out.

No possession through the neutral zone unless the C or F gives them a 6ft pass option.

72. DBO says:

lines as per oilers twitter:
    4-93-14,
    64-89-83,
    94-20-55,
    91-54-56,

15-19
    5-2
    24-45
    and Devan Dubnyk between the pipes

73. VanOil says:

In attempt to fit in with the we need a trade now club. I would propose the following trade: Whitney and Teubert to Islanders for Lubo and Anders Lee. http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012/5/23/3039534/anders-lee-20-on-islanders-top-25-under-25

I like the Symmetry of Whitney and Lubo trade again. Teubert still has a little former first rounder cache but is behind Fistric and Peckam in toughness and Fedum in playing ability. Anders Lee is scaring the Islander as he may take the Schultz Jr route out of College. Heck through in Omark if they need an offensive sweetener. Islander would ditch some money and Edmonton has the Cap room. If Lubo does not want to come back next year to play in the KHL no big deal. If Anders Lee wants to join a club going places very big deal.

74. Bar_Qu says:

spoiler:
    Happy 37th Birthday, Smytty!

Thanks for all the sweat, blood and tears over the years.

X2

37 ain’t old, but you can see it from there!

;-)

75. oilersfan says:

I have a question/comment for the advanced stats guys.

“corsi numbers” are often expressed as a form of “possession numbers”. I question the validity of that expression. If the Oilers have the puck in the Kings’ zone, get two shots towards the net, take 45 seconds to do so, and get one good scoring chance, or the Kings have the puck in the Oilers’ zone, take 45 seconds, get 4 shots towards the net, and one scoring chance, how is it that the Kings had twice the “posession numbers” of the Oilers?

I think a combination of “puck on zone”, defined as time the puck is spent past the opposing teams’ blue lines, along with scoring chances, as a more effective measurement of “puck possession” than corsi.

Does “time in opposing teams’ zone” get measured anywhere? Considering the time of possession that football stats guys lean on for dominance of play, it seems to me this is something not considered or measured.

I know at the COH they were using some sort of Russian system to try to count time the puck was on a certain’ teams’s stick , but I bet half the game the puck is on nobody’s stick. The neutral zone is not so interesting so I thought the opposing teams’ zone would be an intersting way to measure it.

THoughts or comments welcome.

76. VanOil says:

I have been watching Ryan Rishaug game notes at TSN. When Nuge hits puberty watch out. He is a Diamond kid he will be Supernova as an Adult.

77. geowal says:

Really liking Hemsky’s body language during the pre-game warmup, smilin the whole time ;)

78. hunter1909 says:

godot10,

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and all I can answer is no, I have no answers, and no, I’m not Steve Tambellini.

Since basically you’re offering me the keys to the Oilers company Jag, I would have invited 100 defencemen of as high a standard as humanly possible(unless the Aliens are involved then it quadruples) from all around the world to a giant competition to see if any of these slobs have what it takes to step up and play for the Edmonton Oilers. This also means trying to trade for another 1-2 Fistric level players, and I remember pimping him ever since he was last seen leveling half the Oilers in front of the Dallas crease.

I entered this season with two minds(surprise surprise) and if they were to majorly tank one more year, so long as they end up in Seth Jones range I’m 1,000,000% behind it.

I guess I’m still in denial mode. That can soon change, lol.

bookje: I believe you also knew that Dubnyk was no better than a Pee Wee goalie. It’s easy to predict many things and then point at the predictions you made that were correct. The GM doesn’t have that option.

I admit to be like everyone else in here and not rated Dubnyk higher than Markinnen level, so what? Go and sit next to everyone else who hate everything about me, just because basically once, twice, and more I’ve made a bold prediction and looked dumb for it.

I also remember being the very first one in here to say Hall was going to be the business. Two Memorial Cup Championship MVP’s make that kind of decision easy, imo. I’ll say it more or less now the way I saw it then – Hall’s possibly got Bobby Hull like talent…might not make it quite that high, but that’s not beyond the realm of possibility either.

I missed the last Oilers game, thankfully as it turns out. I’ll be watching out for gondola shots or wherever Kevin Lowe is going to be on TV tonight. He’s a big Parise fan I hear.

oilersfan:
    I have a question/comment for the advanced stats guys.

“corsi numbers” are often expressed as a form of “possession numbers”. I question the validity of that expression. If the Oilers have the puck in the Kings’ zone, get twoshots towards the net, take 45 seconds to do so, and get one good scoring chance, or the Kings have the puck in the Oilers’ zone, take 45 seconds, get 4 shots towards the net, and one scoring chance, how is it that the Kings had twice the “posession numbers” of the Oilers?

Does “time in opposing teams’ zone” get measured anywhere? Considering the time of possessionthat football stats guys lean on for dominance of play, it seems to me this is something not considered or measured.

THoughts or comments welcome.

Oilersfan: I’m not an oilogosphere math expert, but from what I’ve read Corsi most closely reflects true performance by game state (Corsi Close, etc) and score compared to the other items available. For me, that’s why the scoring chances are important, because they’re a different measure, but usually end up being a mirror of Corsi.

If a player, say Gagner, has a good scoring chance number but is trailing in Corsi, that will usually iron itself out over a long season. The weird thing about Gagner is he’s scoring points, is getting scoring chances but is death at Corsi.

What gives?

I guess I’m saying that sure let’s add all kinds of measures, but Corsi has over a long period done a good job of measuring play by individual. To the point where you can identify players when they’re injured for instance (usually the Corsi goes to hell).

Cue DSF.

80. hunter1909 says:

Tonight:

I’d have RNH play with Yaks and a MPS type winger,

then Hall/Gagner/Eberle as clean up.

Ralph might like to try something like this, but I’m betting he’s too terrified the team’s going into a nosedive to want to engage in anything too risky.

Please for the … no Whitney tonight!

81. hunter1909 says:

If Whitney’s playing I’m going to just work, and miss watching the 1st period. I’ll listen to it on the radio. The office is now fully computerised, so there’s no problem.

Whitney’s going to get the Oilers Seth Jones, right? That’s why they’re playing him, right?

Hunter: Whitney’s out, not playing tonight.

83. Derek says:

Gene jumps on a scale for the opening to a Theo Peckham story.

Splendid.

84. VanOil says:

http://youtu.be/8srPkl2PzJ4 A song about Jean worthy of Gene

oilersfan:
    I have a question/comment for the advanced stats guys.

THoughts or comments welcome.

I posted a bunch of links near the top of the thread.

Read the last one, deals with your question.

Then read everything Eric T has written.

Writes very clearly for those not familiar with stats terms.

86. BlacqueJacque says:

Nuge is playing so much stronger this year. More physical, hitting really hard for his size.

I love this kid.

BlacqueJacque:
    Nuge is playing so much stronger this year.More physical, hitting really hard for his size.

I love this kid.

He might be as good defensively as he is offensively. When the points start coming, and playing as he is everywhere else? Man o man.

88. Derek says:

Peckham and Fistric on the ice vs the top Minnesota line with the kids up front.

Hmm..

89. Rebilled says:

Did they just say Smid married an Edmonton girl this summer?

90. Downright Fierce says:

Tomorrow’s Sun: Pecks Wrecks Heatley, Named Team Captain

91. BlacqueJacque says:

Going to be interesting to see how Magnus responds to that hit.

I love the Hitchcock comparison of Nuge to Datsyuk. I like Datsyuk more than almost any star player, and short of Crosby and maybe Malkin, I can’t think of a better player in the league. Stylistically Nuge and Datsyuk have a lot in common, but our youngster has a way to go to match the Russian.

92. VanOil says:

Kids will be doing a lot of cycling with those two one defense. No shots from the point are coming.

93. delooper says:

Fistric-Peckham looked great on that shift. Wouldn’t let minny’s top line out of their d-zone.

94. tcho says:

Nice offensive zone possession from that #1 line, but you can see what RK’s saying about danger areas.

95. Gretzkin says:

Desperate for a good link please

96. Lucinius says:

Rebilled,

No. Gilbert did. However, Smid got married back home and invited Gilbert.

97. Derek says:

Krueger is using 3 kids who don’t even shave to protect his third D pairing from the top line of the opposing team.

Derek:

Hmm..

Seen that twice now.

Maybe RK wants the best forward trio out with the weakest passing D as those F take the puck out themselves?

45 and 24 then pound the 1st line of MIN when they can?

Also frees up 2-5 to help out 64-89-83

I could be reaching

99. Lucinius says:

RNH is putting a lot of pucks high this year.

100. delooper says:

“…and both those guys when they hit the net, can score goals.” The feed from Minnesota is full of wisdom.

101. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy: Seen that twice now.

45 and 24 then pound the 1st line of MIN when they can?

Also frees up 2-5 to help out 64-89-83

I could be reaching

I think perhaps it’s more that Kreuger realizes the kids don’t utilize the defence much in the cycle. Other than a streaking Schultz in the slot every now and then, the triumphant trio do their own thing. With their domination of the puck, they cover for weaker defenders (while simultaneously freeing Fistric/Peckham to provide some muscle and win the board battles.)

That’d be my guess.

102. DBO says:

ugly hockey. hate the wild

103. BlacqueJacque says:

speeds,

That doesn’t seem possible. At quick glance, the math doesn’t add up. Too many minutes played, total. And look at the shifts… no, this is some bug.

Maybe it was done by an automatic scanner of paper documents, and misread a 1 or 2 as a 4?

104. DBO says:

and why would we have a checking line if we play them against the other teams 3rd line? especially when we have last change? I know Ralph isn’t a big line matchup guy, but it seems weird, especially in the O zone.

105. S. Crowe says:

Is it just me, or does Eager seem too eager to throw the puck on net when he could take an extra second or so to set up a legit scoring opportunity?

106. BlacqueJacque says:

Who said it’s a checking line? Maybe it’s a scoring line made up of the third-best players at their positions?

Kreuger thinks different.

speeds: only thing I can think of is that they were going for some kind of record or someone was hurt.

108. khildahl says:

Real nice shift there.

109. BlacqueJacque says:

Every now and then, the second line just *clicks* and starts buzzing like that.

Gagner sort of wins a puck battle, and Yak wins a puck in open ice. I like the flashes of brilliance, but this line is why a coach’s favorite word is “consistency”.

110. Derek says:

The Western Conference Champion Minnesota Wild look suspiciously like the dead last in the league posession numbers Minnesota Wild plus Parise and Suter.

Brodin is fantastic though, god I hope Klefbom can be a similar player for Edmonton.

111. DBO says:

ok, maybe that is why we don’t “check” with our third line. yep, those guys are now 4th liners. need some real NHL help and soon

WAY more pinching by the D tonight to keep the puck in the Wild zone. It seems like 10.

113. Bob Arctor says:

speeds,

#2 in TOI: Pretty hard to believe a 36 yr old Doug Gilmour played almost 45 minutes in only 30 shifts. Something isn’t right.

Petry-J Schultz pairing at the end there is an interesting wrinkle.

115. VanOil says:

DBO:
    ugly hockey. hate the wild

ugly hockey. hate the wild

116. hunter1909 says:

Peckham and Eager and the rest of the team are employing truculent methods against the team in my new favourite Oiler rivalry. I like the Wild, and think that from now on, both teams will play flat out against each other, out of spite.

It’s textbook, old timey hockey.

Dennis King: First period chances: 5-3 Oilers; both teams are terrible

118. BlacqueJacque says:

LOL Theo, still out of breath eh?

Boy, you look like a deer caught in the headlights after a sprint away from a hunter.

119. geeker99 says:

is Keenan drunk?

120. khildahl says:

Mike Keenan? Really, Sportsnet?

Marc Crawford wasn’t on the bottom of the barrel?

121. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh Mike Keenan… your little rant was so bad you were shut down by your co-hosts. That was almost as bad as Clint Eastwood talking down to a chair on national TV. Nothing but tired hockey cliches.

No wonder you’re not a coach any more.

122. VanOil says:

I hated Keenan as a Coach. He was an idiot blow hard that did not know the modern game back then. He has not got any more enlightened in retirement.

123. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque,

You prefer Whitney? Say it isn’t so.

Peckham’s playing in a 0-0 game. Give the Fat Pig(I hope they show/read this to him) a break, it’s his first 20 minutes being forced to play hockey in ages.

124. Derek says:

Mike Keenan channeling Don Cherry here on the SNET panel.

“Good to see Teddie Peckman in! Wheres Colton Orr? They might win more games with Kingston boys and how bout that Lalongo?”

Edit – I see I was soundly beaten, but in my defense I had to look up the proper spelling of Lalongo.

Hunter: agree. I have always liked games against the Wild. A well played 1-0 game is a fun evening. This is not well played but there are two periods to go.

Like what I see so far.

Good forecheck.

Good transition.

14 skating. Didn’t last game.

89 looks good, but I hate the volume of hail marys in the neutral zone.

56-54-91 had pressure a couple times.

Like they are feeding the point and going to the net.

They need to burn their sticks, get some sacrificed fried chicken and ask Jobu to take the curse of their sticks.

127. BlacqueJacque says:

VanOil:

I *loooooved* Keenan as a coach. Wore Iginla down, drove CuJo into our arms, rode on the shoulders of Messier like MacT rode on Pronger. Keenan was good for the Oilers.

I wish Keenan was Calgary’s GM. He’d trade Baertschi and Backlund for immediate help. :-)

129. hunter1909 says:

Bloggers can provide a valuable service to mr. AT,(Katz’s secret inner circle nickname) by making caustic comments about players like Theo “the Fat Pig” Peckham, or Ryan “I’m a celebrity, get me out of here” Whitney.

130. khildahl says:

Apparently “personality” is only good if it refers to big hits and stupid penalties. And maybe blasting your goalie in the media if you lose a game 1-0?

God forbid if some Russian kid celebrates a goal.

131. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: This is not well played but there are two periods to go.

Both teams playing basically at Pee Wee level, but it’s the NHL.

Peckham 6:20 that period.

133. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909:
    BlacqueJacque,

You prefer Whitney? Say it isn’t so.

Uh… what? We’re talking about Whitney?

No, I was just hoping that Peckham would come in with some focus, a chip on his shoulder.

No reason to call him names. Especially since he’s still in better shape than I am =/ BTW, he played 4 games in OKC.

134. VanOil says:

geeker99:
    is Keenan drunk?

Probably and he is leading me to drink after listening to his slurring rants.

BLACQUEJACQUE good points he has been good to the Oilers.

135. Rebilled says:

Lucinius,

Thanks. Thought I heard that wrong. Obviously should have kept Gilbert and traded Whitney, Potter, and Teubert for N. Schultz.

136. khildahl says:

VanOil: Probably and he is leading me to drink after listening to his slurring rants.

There’s a guy who sits up in the 200s somewhere at Rexall that screams “hit shumbody!” about 50 times a game. I think we just figured out who it is.

137. BlacqueJacque says:

Anyway, speaking of Sportsnet commentators, I’ve been meaning to say this for a while – how does Brad May get worse, season after season? He really could not have been this bad the first time I saw him. He was never better than mediocre, but he can’t make it through the simplest sentence now.

Commentating is supposed to get easier with age, unlike hockey. =/

138. Derek says:

Spector talking about scoring percentage makes me want to drink.

139. hunter1909 says:

I’ve already picked my bandwagon teams for the playoffs. So if the Oilers blow this 4 pointer, I won’t cry. I’ll just return to last season’s, and the season before that and probably the season before that of watching the 30 teams upside down…

This is exactly what I called for about ten years or so ago when returned to watching NHL hockey. A giant, California Golden Seals level tank, followed by absolute total domination. It’s been a rough road, but hilariously it’s very possibly going to happen. I wouldn’t have imagined this really happening, at the time, because Oilers were in that Lowe/Mact/EIG with Schremp and the goalies and Crazy train all over the place…in a universe of total absolute hopelessness of sucking and blowing. It’s just a ridiculous coincidence.

I’m sure Bruce McCurdy enjoys watching a parallel/reverse NHL, when like the rest of us we know another Uber Player is en route – to the Boulevard of Everyone’s Oiler Dreams.

140. jake70 says:

Agree on Brad May.

141. BlacqueJacque says:

Suter strips Eberle, Hall strips Suter. The food chain.

142. Rebilled says:

Some serious NHL acting there. Pretty clever holding the stick move.

Some nice work there by Yakupov and Gagner.

144. Rebilled says:

WHAT SNAKES ARE BITING THESE GUYS? FFSNAKES?

145. khildahl says:

That’s about the fastest whistle I’ve ever seen.

146. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov needs to get the puck passed to him at least twice every game(that’s sarcasm btw).

Wtf, pass him the puck 5x every period.

147. Lucinius says:

Quick whistles have always annoyed me. They’re supposed to wait until the goaltender has covered or held the puck for five seconds, not one second.

148. DBO says:

Don’t you ever touch my puck!!!!!

149. khildahl says:

2 minutes for Heatley being weak on his feet?

150. SK Oiler Fan says:

Holy f, apparently the zebras were bored. Bs call

151. VanOil says:

hunter1909:

Wtf, pass him the puck 5x every period.

And 5x every PP

152. khildahl says:

I say this every year, and it’s sadly true every damn time.

The officiating this season is the worst I’ve ever seen. With all the shit they don’t call, the stuff they do is such borderline ticky-tack garbage. Between the calls (and non-calls), the disallowed goals, and the constant zebra interference in the play (they block more shots than Smid) it’s beyond ridiculous.

153. VanOil says:

How was that not a Delay of game penalty on the clearance?

154. DBO says:

unintentional but this is a fun line. Nuge with Hemsky and Smyth. Put Gags with hall and Eberle.

155. hunter1909 says:

Heatly flying down the wing is a sight to see. It truly is. Fucker can’t even skate anymore.

Oilers zone exits have been good.

Zone entries are like trying to do fine carving with a chainsaw.

157. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: And 5x every PP

158. leadfarmer says:

Well at least at this pace one of the teams might break 20 shots on goal. Yawn. Glad I spent $200 to watch these teams again in two weeks. These two teams when they get together are the number 1 treatment for insomnia.

159. SK Oiler Fan says:

I thought this year’s Wild were supposed to open it up a bit. Zzzzz

160. khildahl says:

SMYTTY!

Ryan Smyth. For his kids. I’m going to cry.

162. Lucinius says:

Smytty makes good on his promise to his kids!

163. leadfarmer says:

WOOOOT

164. BlacqueJacque says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMYTTTTTTYYYYYYY!

Such a beautiful, classic Smytty goal. All blue collar around the net wraparound birthday boy! Eager did a good job bringing the puck in, too.

165. crude says:

Smyth!!!!!

Vintage Smyth!

Happy B-day!!!!!!

166. VanOil says:

I can’t believe Smyth scored on his patented wrap around on his birthday. That must be 4 for 42,500 on the career. Great.

Smyth (Belanger, Eager)

168. rich says:

Happy b-day Smytty!

169. SK Oiler Fan says:

Greateffort by 94. He’s now 1 for 50 on wrap around attempts on the year

170. BlacqueJacque says:

WTF was Gagner doing there in front of Dubey? Setting up for a hooking call?

171. khildahl says:

Doesn’t Sportsnet hype every Bluejays season like that?

172. Lucinius says:

Gagner needs a smack upside the head in the defensive zone. It almost feels like he’s getting worse.

173. BlacqueJacque says:

khildahl:
    Doesn’t Sportsnet hype every Bluejays season like that?

Yup.

But this season it’s actually a possibility. New York and Boston both look relatively weak. The Jays bullpen will probably be their Achilles heel this year, though. There’s always something. Fielding, starting pitching, bullpen.

174. BlacqueJacque says:

Did Peckham ignore Fistric and back off his man, switching for the other guy?

Fistric-Peckham.

176. SK Oiler Fan says:

There’s the peckman we know. Wtf was he doing?

177. hunter1909 says:

1-1.

Time to go away and do some work.

178. Lucinius says:

Sigh, Peckman! Listen to Fistric! he told you to cover that area and man.. and you come over to his man?

179. BlacqueJacque says:

Hall may be #1 in offensive zone puck retrievals in the league, relative to line Corsi. When he’s on the ice, his name rings out constantly.

180. VanOil says:

Schultz Jr looking better than he has since the injury.

181. BlacqueJacque says:

Hemsky’s speed gets him so much respect. The Wild d-man could have tried to slow down and reach for that puck before it reached the centre line, but with Hemsky coming at him, he didn’t want to take the risk, lose the puck battle and get beaten.

I wish I knew who that d-man was. Smart.

182. BlacqueJacque says:

Like right there. Hall fires the puck at the net from the point, Nuge misses the rebound, Koivu gets the puck in the corner but Hall is right there, delivering a great check and almost preventing the dump. If only he had Crosby’s or Kane’s hands…

183. SK Oiler Fan says:

Did I just see 89 come back into his end without a stick after skating by the bench?

Koivu out for the rest of the game with the flu.

You know this game will end 2-1 with 83 getting a great chance and Brodziak will be dragging ass on the back check and get sprung for a breakaway and score.

You can just feel it.

185. BlacqueJacque says:

Koivu got a little bit of that Taylor Hall flu? Hahaha oh God if only Hall was 6’3 215lbs…

186. Derek says:

Woodguy:
    Koivu out for the rest of the game with the flu.

You can just feel it.

Oilers hockey!

187. Lucinius says:

I didn’t see the first intermission, but god damn… Keenan is worse than Cherry.

188. Derek says:

Mike Keenan ladies and gentlemen. Marion Hossa is possibly faking it and Brian Burke has a bad track record so don’t hire him.

189. Lucinius says:

Also, I thought Keenan had a gig with one of the American stations/teams for play by play or desk jockey?

190. VanOil says:

I am starting to feel bad criticizing Keenan. Maybe its a tumor or PCS.

191. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow, t keenan. These intermission panels are bad accross the board now. One of the networks has to get creative and provide some educational or entertainment value here.

192. BlacqueJacque says:

Ben Bishop made a good argument for not trading for him.

193. Lucinius says:

Ryan Smyth has won a lot of championships?

194. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius,

WHCs, Spenglers, etc.

195. BlacqueJacque says:

Aaaaauuugggghhh Gagner Hemsky….

196. khildahl says:

Well, my PVR just cut out to record something else. I take that as a sign and won’t watch the 3rd (also, I’ve seen this movie too many times already).

Just too bad it didn’t happen before Spector started talking.

197. Ribs says:

Don’t see many wraparounds these days. Good on Smytty. Happy birthday, you old dog.

Keenan – He has some sort of Christian Slater type intensity to him that I can’t help myself from liking. Crazy bastard.

Newer Comments »