WILD AT OILERS, G16 (12-13) 21.2.13

The Oilers were a strong team up the middle each time they played for the Stanley. Homegrown Horcoff-Stoll and Mike Peca were around for the ’06 run and you know the list (99, Messier, Linseman, MacT, etc) from the glory years. The good 90s and 00s teams had the Manhattan Transfer (Weight, Marchant) and the current group is mostly homegrown (Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Lander and outsider Belanger).

Can the Oilers build around Nuge-Gagner as 1-2? I think so, but they would need a strong 2-way C (a young Horcoff, Stoll, MacTavish or Marchant is not currently on the horizon) to complement the duo at the top.

The Nuge is going to take care of a lot of his own business when he’s older–hell, he already is–but Samwise is falling year over year.

11-12 Corsi (center)

11-12 sam

Sam’s Corsi was the best among last year’s centermen (Eberle’s inclusion is an error). He looks good compared to the group in terms of Corsi and P/60.

12-13 Corsi (center)

12-13 Sam

Nuge is of course emerging (his offense is gaining a lot of attention, perhaps burying the lead: Nuge is very good at things like getting the puck, recognizing and reacting to plays defensively and grabbing loose pucks).

Sam Gagner is not getting punishing zone starts or qual comp, and his (and Hemsky’s) Corsi Rel is in the ditch. We haven’t seen Dennis King’s scoring chances yet this season, but I suspect we’re going to find the Nuge line is ripping it up while the other forwards–including Gagner’s line–are not at par.

That is a concern.

My own feeling is that they should keep Samwise. I confess to not knowing what the problem is, and do worry about this summer’s contract. However, he’s a wonderfully skilled young player who has (previous to this season) improved in important areas.

I would rather hire a 2-way checking C than trade Sam for him. Warts and all, Sam Gagner contributes to goal scoring and that’s the toughest thing to do in the game.

standingsfeb

Second place in the division is a free for all, with four teams within three points of each other. Three of those teams can’t score and the other one can’t stop the puck (Calgary’s 54 goals against is a conference worst).

I’m not big on “must win” games, because that phrase should be saved for seasons like 2005-06. This is a good test of character, that I will say.

I’m not sure if Peckham draws into the lineup or Petrell does, but Ryan Jones is apparently ready to come off the IR by Saturday. That will require a roster move, and I’m hopeful they don’t just take the easy way out and send down Paajarvi. He’s earned the opportunity to play, and giving him the opportunity to build on recent success is a big part of this season. This year is about getting better, but it’s also about finding out what these kids can do, I believe the best plan is for the team to make a decision on one of the D.

I wonder if Krueger will put Peckham up front for a few games? He’s a truculent player, very physical and could drive opposition defensemen to distraction. I hate that kind of move (changing a defenseman to forward) but would rather see Peckham fill the role than Hordichuk.

369 Responses to "WILD AT OILERS, G16 (12-13) 21.2.13"

« Older Comments
  1. Lucinius says:

Right there you see why the second line suffers defensively; absolutely atrocious puck support. Horrific.

Setegouchi (Cullen, Hemsky)

3. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s fin terrible 83. Move your feet and get it out of the zone

4. Lucinius says:

I actually have no problem with the reverse from Hemsky — there’s supposed to be someone there, that’s the system. Yet no one was. Forwards were out of position, as were the defensemen.

Granted, Hemsky should have looked first..

Edit: Should add that Dubnyk ‘could’ have had both Minny goals. Kinda soft, despite the errors by the team in front of him.

5. Derek says:

I knew I should’ve used that intermission to pick up a case of beer.

6. VanOil says:

Oilers will need at least 1 shot this period if they hope to score.

Bad choice for Hemsky. Hemsky reminds me of a thing Bill James once said about Whitey Herzog. Whitey used to do strange things like put his closer (Todd Worrell) in right field so he could have a left handed reliever pitch to a power hitting lefty on the other team and then bring back Worrell after the out.

Anyway, Whitey became known for this kind of thing and had some success, and then things went badly for him and the plays didn’t work.

Bill James said that it was cool when everything was going well, but when it didn’t then he looked a little crazy because why would you do that being of sound mind?

That was kind of that play by Hemsky. Why reverse it?

8. BlacqueJacque says:

Smyth-Belanger-Eager is our best line. Shades of Smyth-Horc-Jones last year.

9. tcho says:

I would not have predicted that the problem of this team would be scoring goals.

10. Lucinius says:

tcho,

Can’t score if you don’t shoot the bloody puck. They score just fine…. when they shoot!

11. Lucinius says:

Two games straight an Oiler doesn’t register a shot on a breakaway.

12. SK Oiler Fan says:

Chabot will be busy showing all of the shots they’re passing up

13. Derek says:

The regular third period push to keep us all interested, right on time.

14. Lucinius says:

Can’t wait for this game to be over. Minnesota games always get me drowsy, even if it has picked up lately.

15. PunjabiOil says:

I’m close to tank mode. I’m not even joking about that.

16. Oilanderp says:

I wish Eberele would hit somebody… just once. Heart.

17. crude says:

I hate the oilers

18. Lucinius says:

Well, this is over. Ugh.

19. VanOil says:

Lucinius:

Only thing worse is a Minnesota matinee. Ugh… Looks for LT article on draft picks

20. PunjabiOil says:

Hate to admit it, but the Gilbert trade was a very poor one.

21. BlacqueJacque says:

OK, I was about to say “I don’t think Jordan Eberle, of all people, is going to help Gagner’s defensive numbers”, but I see that’s sort of unnecessary at this point.

64 forgets he’s supposed to cover for the pinching D and creates a 2-1.

40 gets beat high blocker.

Neither things is suprising.

23. tcho says:

Can’t take it anymore. Heading to bed.

24. pboy says:

Cullen absolutely owns Dubnyk tonight.

So tell me more about this Seth Jones……….

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

Well that’s the 5th shot uncontested from the same spot with Shultzes on the ice. They should be better than this

26. Reg Dunlop says:

OK, so we draft Jones 1st overall and if he pans out we only need 5 more NHL calibre defencemen! Things are lookin good.

27. BlacqueJacque says:

If we don’t win on Saturday, and there’s a very good chance we don’t, I bid you adieu, my friends. Enjoy the rest of the season.

I need beer.

28. Oilanderp says:

Oh god, what if we are here again next year?

29. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: 40 gets beat high blocker.
    Neither things is suprising.

So you now know there is no accuracy to Corsi?

30. Suntory Hanzo says:

Is it sad that I am yelling shoot at the the computer screen?

31. S. Crowe says:

The perpetual rebuild continues.

32. Lucinius says:

Only thing worse than the Oilers tonight is Sportsnet.

33. Derek says:

Oh shit, Hall what did you do?

I don’t mind that.

35. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh shit, Hall … Clutterbuck doesn’t look good.

36. S. Crowe says:

I hope Clutterbuck doesn’t get up.

37. Lucinius says:

Yay! Hall! Pulverise that asshole.

38. Reg Dunlop says:

Clusterfuck… payback.

39. jimbones100 says:

89 has to recognizre his two wingers are caught behind the net and his D man is pinching on the 3rd goal. Frustrating because the rest of his game has been so good this game and all year.

40. Suntory Hanzo says:

ghost of Messier…don’t mind that at all. On replay it looks legal.

41. Bar_Qu says:

Sooo, what kind of goon did we need to protect Hall again?

Borderline filthy

42. S. Crowe says:

That wasn’t kneeing.

43. Lucinius says:

Little dirty in that it was late and how low he went down to deliver it.

44. BlacqueJacque says:

Please please please PLEASE let this be the low point of the season.

45. SK Oiler Fan says:

Well there’s at least a game. This is not a smart team

46. jimbones100 says:

A clear knee. Suspension coming for Taylor.

47. VanOil says:

Would be a result if we were challenging Minne for a playoff spot.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Hall was going in for some kind of blow up hit.

49. delooper says:

Clutterbuck has been on the giving end of endless types of hits like that. It’s hard to have much empathy for him.

50. gogliano says:

Was that payback for an earlier incident? I don’t remember it.

I also don’t think it is a suspension, but Shanahan’s 8-ball will tell us tomorrow.

52. Rebilled says:

Hessier

53. Bar_Qu says:

He did something similar at the end of the LA game. Frustrated, he hammered Doughty. I don’t mind him playing physical like this, but, but, but… the Oilers need him.

Not sure that’s a penalty.

Hall’s been pretty orny all game.

Pissed off at losing.

I would be too.

I actually can’t wait for them to go on that road trip.

Will give them a chance to play on good ice.

Not one pass actually stays flat.

The ice is as smooth as 170st in the spring.

55. BlacqueJacque says:

The Anderson comparisons are dying down I see…

56. Jordan says:

I guess Taylor Hall really wants to be playing with Seth Jones next year.

I can’t blame him – I’d want to play with Seth on my team too!

57. Lucinius says:

Woodguy,

Minnesota has made a few crisp clean passes tonight. Bad Rexall ice only seems to affect the home team.

58. bookje says:

That was not a ‘clear knee’. That was Clutterbuck skating with his head twisted around and his body turned. It was a mid ice blind hit. I don’t like hits like that, but they are legal.

I would bet its a hip injury, not a knee injury.

59. bookje says:

Jordan:
    I guess Taylor Hall really wants to be playing with Seth Jones next year.

I can’t blame him – I’d want to play with Seth on my team too!

Yes, because winning teams never hit anybody or play tough.

60. jimbones100 says:

4 showing us how much he hates to loose. Think he has a little Messier in him? Isn’t that the 2nd Wild player he has blown up this year.

61. S. Crowe says:

Hall didn’t stick his knee out. He threw his hip into Clutterbuck’s thigh area and turned him into a yard sale. Could argue that it was a bit late, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no suspension coming.

And again, it’s Cal Clutterbuck, so I’m perfectly fine with that hit.

62. ASkoreyko says:

So we know Hall is capable of playing with that edge, I just wish it came out when it wasn’t clear we lost the game.

Clutterbuck is one of the few players in the NHL I actually feel ill-will towards.

I want Hall to make that hit every single time.

Someone should be getting Messier on the phone to talk to Hall right now. Tell him that exactly what he needs to do.

63. VanOil says:

Does a Hall suspension free up a roster spot for Jones?

64. jimbones100 says:

Can’t win with 4 Dman wo can’t move the pick.

65. delooper says:

Unless there’s a magic camera angle that changes the interpretation of that hit, there’s no way it’s a suspension. That wasn’t even kneeing.

66. Rebilled says:

Beautiful game. Just gorgeous to watch *

67. speeds says:

68. Clay says:

This record is broken…

69. VanOil says:

Looks like Spector and Willis are in a Twitter war. Maybe they are feeling feisty too.

70. Lucinius says:

Well, that game happened. Only positive was the Hall hit.

Fuck this team is frustrating as hell. Some nights its like most of the team doesn’t want to win or know their own systems. Been watching a lot of other teams this season and its painfully obvious what the problem is; its not bad players, its excruciatingly bad positional play and mis-reads/decisions of system play, especially in the defensive zone where its a coin flip whether any forward will actually follow the script on their assignment.

71. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy:
    Not sure that’s a penalty.

Hall’s been pretty orny all game.

Pissed off at losing.

I would be too.

I actually can’t wait for them to go on that road trip.

Will give them a chance to play on good ice.

Not one pass actually stays flat.

The ice is as smooth as 170st in the spring.

Good grief.

That was an intent to injure.

3 games minimum.

72. jimbones100 says:

Sorry boys. Clear knee, clear intent, suspension coming.

73. justDOit says:

jimbones100:
    Can’t win with 4 Dman wo can’t move the pick.

It could be argued that they are moving the pick – higher!

speeds: I think that’s a suspension, would guess 4 or 5 games depending on severity of injury, possibly less if Clutterbuck is fine.

Apparently it isn’t his knee, it is his leg.

75. Reg Dunlop says:

Sport Select just set the over/under for Oiler wins on the upcomming road trip at… 0. I guess I have to go over but I’m not confident.

76. russ99 says:

This team needs a road trip in the worst way. Time to start playing as a team, guys.

Not sure what else Krueger can do at this point. Can’t bench half the team.

Also, any time Tambellini wants to get off his butt and ditch the 6-8 or so spare parts on the roster and get us some actual hockey players, that would be fine by me…

77. Rebilled says:

forgot about this Clutterbuck hit on Hall

78. In the Grease says:

jimbones100,

What replay were you watching dude, it was hip on knee, not knee on knee…. the suspension part… well that will be interesting….. looked like Clutterbuck was genuinely f’ed up though. They put him on a stretcher.

79. eidy says:

Gagner is not playing a good two way game. He and harti are even when Schulz pinches gagner is flat footed and harti races back while 89 coasts. He then coasts to the board swings and misses then just stands there. Harti still engaged down low and89 nowhere near the vacated d. Puck ends up with spurge on and 89 covering a ghost by the other hash mark. He then floats backwards away from the front of the net and it’s completely empty when setoguch gets the goal.

He managed to be in the defensive zone for 20 seconds and never covered anybody. Ever.

Next shift he gets a breakaway for being the last guy out of the o zone. I think we were harder on omark when he did that. But Linus probably would have got a shot on net.

Next shift had a chance to change after 55 seconds chose not to and was out there 90 seconds. Also he floated back defensively forcing 91 to cover low once and 94 the second time.

Next shift bad pinch by Schulz gagner beat back to oilers end by 14. Bad play by Schulz but 0 help from gagner.

Terrible. He’s Michael ryder

80. "Steve Smith" says:

We out-hit them 34-19. As I understand it, that’s supposed to be somehow relevant.

81. In the Grease says:

“I actually can’t wait for them to go on that road trip.

Will give them a chance to play on good ice.

Not one pass actually stays flat.

The ice is as smooth as 170st in the spring.”

Been meaning to ask what happened to the ice in Edmonton? I remember at one point when it was supposedly one of the best sheets in the league?

82. ASkoreyko says:

jimbones100:
    Sorry boys. Clear knee, clear intent, suspension coming.

Are you using knee as a verb instead of a noun?

I can’t tell where you see the knee in that hit.

He kneed him with his hip? I don’t get it.

83. icecastles says:

I think I’m about done. Not with the Oilers, but maybe with this season. I often put the game on TV and hit the treadmill, but lately I’ve been starting to change channels at the TV timeouts, and it feels like a chore to switch back.

Last year, Oilers management/coaching declared that the intention was to make the playoffs. Not this year. Last year. They finished 29th in the league. 1/3 of the way through this season, they are statistically still in the playoff hunt but I think we all know that’s very very unlikely to happen.

Of all the things this team may or may not be, the one that blows my mind is that they have become BORING. Even the breakaways are boring, because there is almost no expectation that they will turn into goals.

Yet we have an MSM that goes on about Corsi and scoring chances as if those things are good for one GD point in the standings and picks the easy targets without holding anyone’s feet properly to the fire. We have a management that committed to a rebuild when they had no other choice, got three #1 picks because they stayed worse than they expected even in the scorched earth approach, and now that they have them, seem to have no idea how to build a team around them.

There are strange things going on that are likely to turn around in time, like the low shooting percentage of the top line. But we lost a key centreman long term and there was no replacement. Then we lost two more. No action taken. Belanger bounced back and the response was “see, he’s okay! no panic.” This, like so many things, is the management team getting lucky and taking credit/being credited for their patience and sound judgment.

In other words, this team, this 30-30-29-? team, is where they are due at least to as much “luck” by management as bad luck. Justin Schultzes don’t come along every summer (and the way things are going, if another one did, it may become questionable agin whether one would take his skills to Edmonton). The first overall picks wont’ show up annually.

Sure Gagner and Hemsky are great. Lots of our players are great. But if you have six scorers who can’t score, what’s the point? It’s like owning six beachfront homes but not being able to get to any of them to enjoy them. At some point, you say “fuck it: i’m tired of wasting all six of my houses, so I’m going to sell one and buy a goddamn car so I can at least get some benefit from the remaining five.”

At some point, the Oilers have to grow a pair, make some decisions, and take control of their own destiny rather than let luck and the lottery bring “success” their way. Even if they do finally start winning, I worry that they are building a Canucks team: built to kick ass in the regular season and be completely dismantled every year when things get heavy in the playoffs.

I still care enough to rant, I suppose. But even that is starting to fade. Please, Steve Tambellini: you are paid to make difficult decisions. After six(?) years, make your first one.

84. In the Grease says:

eidy:
    Gagner is not playing a good two way game. He and harti are even when Schulz pinches gagner is flat footed and harti races back while 89 coasts.He then coasts to the board swings and misses then just stands there. Harti still engaged down low and89 nowhere near the vacated d. Puck ends up with spurge on and 89 covering a ghost by the other hash mark.He then floats backwards away from the front of the net and it’s completely empty when setoguch gets the goal.

Terrible. He’s Michael ryder

Contract year.

I’m fine with the hit even if it means a suspension. Based on the looks I had and the fact that Clutterback’s leg is the problem, Im not sure if the knee on knee is something they can prove.

86. bookje says:

jimbones100:
    Sorry boys. Clear knee, clear intent, suspension coming.

Or spearing, your maybe biting, or unicorn horn stabbing – if you are going to imagine things, you might as well go all the way. If you cant see his hip hitting Clutterbuck in the upper thigh, you must not actually have been watching the game.

87. jimbones100 says:

ASkoreyko,
    His left leg was extended when the hit was delivered. Doesn’t matter what we call it a suspension is coming. I don’t mind Hall being pissed off and i say FU to Clutterbuck.
    None the less suspension.

88. In the Grease says:

God sometimes that oil drop just looks like a big ol’ tear …
    :*(

89. RMGS says:

I don’t think it’s a suspension, but if it’s the other way around, we’d be calling for 20 games.

The Oilers will not make the playoffs unless some magic switch clicks. The season’s too short for perpetual “learning opportunities.”

Tonight they passed up too many shots (and good scoring chances) for the extra pass. They refuse to consistently drive to the net as if the “danger zone” Krueger talks about had the plague.

I didn’t want that first line changed, but at this point what’s there to lose? Try:

89-4(after the suspension)-14
    93-64-83

What a shitty hockey game.

90. hunter1909 says:

Tuned in just as the Wild were slapping each other on the backs. Missed everything, dang.

TANK UPDATE:

With tonight’s brave loss, the team finds itself slipping one place in the 30 team NHL.

This Morning: Oilers were in 23rd overall place in the upcoming draft.

After the Wild Game: Oil now drop down into 24th(7th or 8th depending on the new lottery) overall, as they start to make their annual move for the top pick.

Hilariously, removing the 1-5 only rule(anti-Oilers they say) merely takes pressure off us common fan folk/Volk; since now we all basically think we’re going to drop back one spot automatically.

Previously of course, we all fretted about the 1-5 positioning etc.

Washington has got to improve, leaving one less team in the 48 game shortened race to Seth Jones.

I’m not a bookie, but I’d probably give odds of 6/1 that the Oilers end up with a shot at Seth, and from the look of things this road trip is going to be fun.

91. jimbones100 says:

bookje,
    Yeah u r probably right. I’m sure the league will see it your way and Hall will suit up on Saturday. Don’t what I was thinking. Please remind me how stupid I am tomorrow when the NHL announces the suspension.

92. Oilanderp says:

GET OUT OF MY ROOM!

*slams door*

93. steveb12344 says:

I bet the comment section on the Minni blog over on SB Nation would be good for a laugh tonight. Big Hall fans over there.They are probably calling for public execution by now. LOL… Also Fuck Clutterbuck, that douche has been taking liberties with our players for years!

rickithebear: You finally get that that is a goal 70% of the time. highest scoring location on a goalie.
    So you now know there is no accuracy to Corsi?

You’re not sane.

95. Ribs says:

So you now know there is no accuracy to Corsi?

I think it might be higher on Dubnyk. It’s a pretty obvious weakness now that teams are keying in on.

I’m a bit worried that Krueger might fall into the trap of having his “Eager” line play too much. MacTavaish was prone to the same thing. The top lines don’t seem to be creating, so go to the energy guys. The only problem with that is that all the energy line does is kill time. You still have to try to win the game at some point.

Well, at least they kept MP Frikkin’ Bouchard off the scoresheet for a change. Probably the second time in a decade.

96. bookje says:

jimbones100:
    Sorry boys. Clear knee, clear intent, suspension coming.

bookje,

No need to wait – ‘Clear Knee’ was a stupid statement when you said it and nothing has changed since then. As LT said, it may be a suspension, but the league is going to stretch things pretty far if they call it a knee on knee hit.

97. jimbones100 says:

eidy,

Exactly what I seen on the 3rd goal.
    The kid either has no defensive awareness (hard for me to believe) or he is not interested in it.
    Either way if Mac T does have a voice he won’t stand for that for very long. U can’t win with play like that.

98. Ribs says:

I’m fine with the hit as well. Doubt there’s a suspension. One game, if at all.

99. PunjabiOil says:

The good thing about the shortened season is the tanking process will not be as grueling.

This 9 game road trip may very well be the season folks.

100. jake70 says:

Unicorn horn stabbing – hilite of the night. Lol. Oh man can we fast forward to when we win many more games than we lose.

101. bookje says:

Woodguy: You’re not sane.

icecastles,

Which MSM goes on about Corsi?

103. jimbones100 says:

89 is frustrating. He cares, he is a wonderful offensive player. Can he not learn the be a responsible center that does not give up so much the other way?

I think the coach needs to put 89 in the press box. I really hate to trade a kid with that kind of talent. Got to believe he can improve.

104. delooper says:

If Taylor Hall molested the Minneapolis unicorn, wouldn’t that be sexual harassment rather than a suspension?

Ralph Krueger: “We need to be extremely angry, and out of this anger find solutions…we’ve had 15 of 16 tight games. That doesn’t count.”

I’m a fan of Ralph.

Lucinius:
    Woodguy,

Its shit.

Both teams would have been better off with axes.

Oilers never shoot in scoring areas so it doesn’t really matter.

93 passing out of the slot with the D backing up to 19 in the corner actually made me pull a little hair out of my head.

This team is like the 08/09 Oilers except Cogliano and Nilsson have been replaced by better players but they still try to pass the puck into the net.

Nah forget that thought. 08/09 Oilers had 3 maybe 4 decent dmen.

Right now this team has 1, maybe 2.

Awful

Can’t wait to see them without Hall for 5 days.

Also,

PDO sent me a freeze frame of the impact, its not knee on knee.

More hip/thigh on hip..

Clutterbuck couldn’t put any weight at all on his left leg, might have dislocated his hip.

Would explain the excruciating pain he was in. Blowing out a knee hurts, but you can still limp on it a bit, dislocate the hip and you can put 0 pressure on the leg.

“It sucks to see him down, but I don’t think it was a dirty play … I don’t think I led with my knee.” – Hall

I agree. Taylor is so smart.

bookje: I honestly think he is actually a bear that got a hold of someone’s cell phone in the woods and with that, I am tremendously impressed by how logical his comments are.

Can we fire Tambellini yet?

ELC’s will be over for Hall and Eberle and 2/3 over for RNH and they are still a lottery team.

Please?

109. bookje says:

Woodguy: Can we fire Tambellini yet?

Please?

Well, maybe we can promote him within the organization at this point.

Ribs: I’m fine with the hit as well. Doubt there’s a suspension. One game, if at all.

Magic 8 ball has actually been pretty good about getting into the minutea of the suspendable plays.

Unfortunately they let luck also determine fate and if the is an injury the punishment is more severe.

Clutterbuck might be done for the year.

bookje: Well, maybe we can promote him within the organization at this point.

Same thing.

Let him cut Special Consultant Pat Quinn’s cigars for him.

112. refmaksy says:

LT, with all the great hockey fans on your blog, I’m surprised that only 2-3 of the people who posted about the hall hit on clutterbuck recognized the severity of the infraction. This is an easy 3-5 game suspension for a first-time offender, and would be a lot worse if he was a repeat offender. This is one of the worst knees I have seen in many years in the NHL. Maksy.

113. Ribs says:

I’m a fan of Ralph.

He could be MacT’s brother with that line. I hope the difference is that he has the horses to actually do something about it.

114. BONVIE says:

hunter1909:

TANK UPDATE:

This Morning: Oilers were in 23rd overall place in the upcoming draft.

Previously of course, we all fretted about the 1-5 positioning etc.

I think Sleeepy Steve might already be planning his lottery winning speech. I think he might even bring Scott Howson as his escort, just to try to recreate the magic that made him the MVP of the NHL lottery.

Folks>>Can he become a legend and defend his Championship for a third time to win four times consecutive.

We will just have to just stay tuned…or endure two more months of garbage hockey

115. icecastles says:

Woodguy: Which MSM goes on about Corsi?

Oh come on: don’t make me back up my words with things like facts and reality. :)

I would have to dig, but fair enough – I’m probably conflating some of the more articulate members of the blogosphere with mainstream media. I’m thinking perhaps more of guys like Dave Staples on the Journal (great journalist and an astute critic: don’t get me wrong). But he often gets so lost in talking about “scoring chances” and there have been so many articles reaching for a positive spin that it feels (yes ‘feels’ – I recognize I’m being completely totally subjective here) that our media are more concerned about staying in the good books to guarantee future interviews (the Larry King school of journalism) that they just won’t ask hard questions. They’ll speculate whether this player or that player is on the way out, but the problems with this team don’t fall exclusively on the shoulders of individual players.

This many years, this many problems, that’s management. I think Kreuger is the first member of the decision-making group willing to make the hard decisions, within the limited range of influence he has.

Gregor is call it a hip inury or very bad charley horse.

If that’s the case Hall will skate……so to speak.

117. hunter1909 says:

Remaining an Oilers fan is like starring in a Salvador Dali feature length movie at times; Up seems like Down, Black turns into White, and throughout the entire process Tambellini’s smirking face beaming at everyone.

Woodguy,

Execpt for Hall of course.

His ilk hasn’t worn an Oiler sweater in over 20 years.

119. franksterra says:

Woodguy,

In a Gary-Oldman-as-George-Smiley voice, “Now’s the time…”

It would be justified.

I watch a fragment of the games most of you watch, but there is terrible culture of self-congratulatory mediocrity emanating from somewhere in the organization. Almost nothing proactive, ever.

We have some fantastic players. But the mix is shit. And there are too many average to poor players, regardless of ‘mix’.

icecastles,

I think things are changing.

We may see that change soon.

I hope.

Pray really.

121. BONVIE says:

refmaksy:
    LT, with all the great hockey fans on your blog, I’m surprised that only 2-3 of the people who posted about the hall hit on clutterbuck recognized the severity of the infraction.This is an easy 3-5 game suspension for a first-time offender, and would be a lot worse if he was a repeat offender.This is one of the worst knees I have seen in many years in the NHL.Maksy.

This hit was nothing, I am sure if the ref had the benefit of a replay there would not have been a call. Where was the intent to bring his knee out on this hit. Replay it all you want. The only reason there was an injury is that old Clutterbuck had just kicked out his left leg trying to kick the puck, just as Hall was lineing up the hit .

122. bookje says:

50.1 Kneeing – Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.

Porter Hit – Kneeing explained by Shanahan- 4 games – http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=140793

WG is right that the level of the injury has affected NHL decision making previously and as such – Hall my be suspended, but the replay shows him leading with his hip, not his knee, so it’s tough to call it ‘kneeing’ by the NHL definition.

Woodguy,

And RNH. He gets a break for taking on the toughs at 19 and 175lbs.

124. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: You’re not sane.

I an sorry that shot was the same as a dumpin on goal from centre. Go corsi!

A 70 % shot 100 times pure scatter. you can get what 10 in a row.

Should of had that!!

Oh you were talking to yourself!

Do not be hard on yourself!

Update: Charlie Horse for clutter buck!

Charlie Horse!

What a Pussy!

Guys play with broken bones.
    heck deep bone bruises feel worse than broken bones
    but you can still leave on your own strength!

There are those guys that are a complete disgrace to the game!

125. jimbones100 says:

icecastles: Oh come on: don’t make me back up my words with things like facts and reality.

I would have to dig, but fair enough – I’m probably conflating some of the more articulate members of the blogosphere with mainstream media. I’m thinking perhaps more of guys like Dave Staples on the Journal (great journalist and an astute critic: don’t get me wrong). But he often gets so lost in talking about “scoring chances” and there have been so many articles reaching for a positive spin that it feels (yes ‘feels’– I recognize I’m being completely totally subjective here) that our media are more concerned about staying in the good books to guarantee future interviews (the Larry King school of journalism) that they just won’t ask hard questions. They’ll speculate whether this player or that player is on the way out, but the problems with this team don’t fall exclusively on the shoulders of individual players.

126. Clay says:

icecastles:

Do you honestly think that will happen with this management group?

Since Lowe took the reigns in 2000, they’ve made the playoffs 3 of 11 years. Yes, they made it to the finals, but it was a perfect storm of having CFP lead the way and unreal goaltending.

Anyway, whatever, that horse has been beat to death. Suffice it to say that we, as fans, are in a very precarious position. The owner has a man-crush on Kevin Lowe. Until he pulls his head out of his behind and cleans house from top to bottom, to expect a management group, that has only proven they can build last place teams, to somehow suddenly build a winner, is folly.

Katz needs to decide if he wants a serious contending NHL team, or just a boys-on-the-bus alumni club that he can hang out with and feel nostalgic.

127. Ribs says:

Woodguy:
    Gregor is call it a hip inury or very bad charley horse.

If that’s the case Hall will skate……so to speak.

Sounds right. Guys don’t usually look like they’re in that much pain if it’s their knee. It’s usually just a pop and that’s it (for hockey players, anyway).

refmaksy:

Except of course, his knee didn’t hit Clutterbuck’s knee.

Hall’s a killer, I love the guy. I bet the Messier banner was pretty damn proud tonight. Too bad it wasn’t Calgary, but Minny’s fine too.

rickithebear: I an sorry that shot was the same as a dumpin on goal from centre. Go corsi!

A 70 % shot 100 times pure scatter. you can get what 10 in a row.

Should of had that!!

Oh you were talking to yourself!

Do not be hard on yourself!

Update: Charlie Horse for clutter buck!

Charlie Horse!

What a Pussy!

Guys play with broken bones.
    heck deep bone bruises feel worse than broken bones
    but you can still leave on your own strength!

There are those guys that are a complete disgrace to the game!

Its your choice.

Its ok, march to your own drummer, or xylophone or whatever the band leader in your head plays.

God made us all different.

Like snowflakes.

Is is wrong that I feel the same way?

bookje:

This is the correct answer.

133. icecastles says:

Woodguy,

I think things are changing.
    We may see that change soon.

I hope you’re right. I’m baffled at how slow these changes are, and a bit surprised at Katz’ apparent comfort with the pace of the rebuild. Though like a lot of people here, I get a little giddy twitch every time I think of MacT being back in the fold and wondering if he is being considered as a GM.

And since I am the one calling for a balls-out “it’s just so crazy it might work” kind of trade (and I say humbug to talk about anyone being untradable. Fucking Wayne Gretzky got traded), here’s a crazy ballsy move: Kevin Lowe hiring Brian Burke as our new GM.

.giggle.

icecastles,

Thing is that it was going well and has come completely off the rails.

Everyone under estimates luck and over emphasizes outlier results in small samples (me included)

They were playing pretty decent hockey.

Last two games are for shit and given what we have gone through since 06 and the unwatchable hockey in the last 3 years, patience is all gone.

Fire the fucking lot of em if they can’t win with all the talent they have.

Its what you get for trusting the same fools who made the mess to clean it up.

MacT, like Obi Wan Kenobi, is our only hope.

135. Clay says:

Love it. Need more of it.

Did you see Hall answer Spector’s question with a question? This team deserves better MSM.

136. bookje says:

Good view of the hit here.

If you look at 2:03/04 of the video and pause it there you could make the argument that Hall is ‘leading with his Knee’, but from my view of it, by the time they hit, he is hitting more with his hip.

Anyway, I hope Clutterbuck gets flesh eating disease from it and all of his team-mates catch it from him. I am tired of seeing the Oilers lose 2-1 to Minnesota.

Woodguy: Is is wrong that I feel the same way?

Lowetide: No. It was the best thing about the Oilers all week, with all respectful apologies to Clutterback the assclown.

Cal, this is Karma.

She’s a bitch.

Even if he wasn’t a cheap prick he’d deserve it for the mustache.

140. franksterra says:

Clay,

Just watched it. Line walking Hall. Good stuff.

141. Clay says:

bookje:
    Good view of the hit here.

Anyway, I hope Clutterbuck gets flesh eating disease from it and all of his team-mates catch it from him.I am tired of seeing the Oilers lose 2-1 to Minnesota.

Good link.

From that reverse angle, I can see how Shanny would give Hall a few games. I don’t think Hall was trying to take his leg out, but Clutterbuck changed his angle at the last instant, and what would’ve been a train-tracks type hit by Hall became a glancing blow.

No matter. I love that Hall was going for it.

It’s a bit of a change of Oiler luck that Hall didn’t come out of it with the injury…

142. Thiru says:

I am heartened by the fact that this team is finally outshooting and outchancing the opposition on a consistent basis. The wins will come. Goalies just aren’t going to post .950+ save pcts night in and night out against this team.

The last time this team did that was probably 06-07.

That team also had a poor record vis a vis their underlying numbers. They were a goaltender away then, and they’re a dman away now.

Regression (progression?) to the mean is our friend right now, and I think they’re due for a tidy win streak soon.

Some of the puck luck tonight was just ridiculous — Fistric inadvertantly deflecting the puck right to Cullen on the first goal, and then Hemmer reversing the puck to no one on the second goal.

It’ll even out.

143. icecastles says:

Woodguy: MacT, like Obi Wan Kenobi, is our only hope.

And MacT, like Obi Wan, let himself be struck down only to become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

And just to stretch the analogy, Steve Tambellini = C-3PO. Fucking protocol droid.
    (KLowe: Han “never tell me the odds” Solo)

144. BONVIE says:

bookje:
    Good view of the hit here.

Well we lost 3-1 so…lucky you have some relief. Krueger must have been tired of losing 3-1 though because he pulled his goalie and we did our best to make it 4-1 but Minnesota did not want to take it.

145. hunter1909 says:

Having Reviewed the Video Evidence 10x or more:

Clutterbuck’s playing like a fool, kicking his greasy leg around like a can can dancer, right in the trenches where Taylor Hall is channeling his inner Mr. Hockey. He’s responsible for his actions? No?

Hall’s just put his shoulder down, finishes his brilliant check, and after the clusterfuck that ensues, doesn’t give a fuck when he sees what’s happened to Clutterbuck – Moose country!

146. franksterra says:

I don’t think some magic law of averages and improving luck will help. Trades and signings and learning a new system will help. And listening to Taylor Hall.

147. steveb12344 says:

I can’t think of another player who’s bullied our players more in recent years, and just plain been a weiner than Clutterbuck,I say he had it coming. Somehow that loss hurt just a little less after seeing him getting scraped off the ice….Thank you Taylor!

148. jimbones100 says:

I agree that our GM hasn’t done enough to help the team. However the biggest issue is we have so many young players learning on the job. I hear the fans on this blog (myself included) ask the coach to play the kids with a eye to the future. That means growing pains.

But yes that defense was terrible tonight and 15 looked as bad as anyone. We only had tow D dressed tonight who could move the puck. Not good.

149. jimbones100 says:

Just seen Dorsett got openeed up by Tootoo. Clutterbuck and Dorsett. That is a good night.

150. russ99 says:

If that blatant cheap shot on Hossa the other night resulted in a one game suspension, then Hall shouldn’t get any.

151. BONVIE says:

Thiru,

If you want to shoot from the perimiter all night without traffic in the front of the net they will.

Here is a challenge for you shoot 100 pucks from the blue line, at a goalie without any traffic in front.

Then shoot another 100 pucks shooting within the circles at another goalie.

Which goalie will have the better save percentage?

Is it obvious?

152. BONVIE says:

hunter1909:
    Having Reviewed the Video Evidence 10x or more:

Hall’s just put his shoulder down, finishes his brilliant check, and after the clusterfuck that ensues,doesn’t give a fuck when he sees what’s happened to Clutterbuck – Moose country!

Poetry

153. boopronger says:

Oilers need to fire tambo. The tank job is done and i have zero faith that steve-o can fill the necessary holes. Hes too safe, and if he got ballsy im scared he would get fleeced. Oilers need to do a yak for pietrangelo or something.

154. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Here’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be knee on knee, a low bridge hit below the waist is a suspend-able offense. Looking 3-5 games.

The Oilers better have someone who can fight the next time these teams play.

LT

As for liking Krueger, why is this guy still sending Gagner and Hemsky over the boards together? Completely blows the mind.

The Oilers are in deep shit.

155. gogliano says:

I see it as a win-win.

Hall doesn’t get suspended–our best player plays.

Hall gets suspended–more players take note that the LW on the #1 line might take you out of action if your primary skill set is to run players like a jackass.

Howes and Messiers are a million times more effective than Eagers and Hordichuks. Nice to have one.

156. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Its not my fault you don’t read the links I post and choose to remain willfully under informed.

Its your choice.

God made us all different.

Like snowflakes.

i have worked almost 35 years in industrial design
    and am certified in as-building
    and confidently sitting and critiquing engineers in;
    Civil (Steel and Soil),
    Mechanical (Rotating and Process),
    Material ( Thermal and Chemical),
    Electrical (relay, Distance Protection, Arc Flash, Transformer, SwitchGear, Localized control)
    Instrumentation
    Network.

taking dated systems, look at trending, and current setings try to reverse eng 2 to 4 generation changes. to reject or justify the migration.

My strength is to look at
    100′s of columns of data.
    filter the shite
    determine important variables and think of them in 3 dimensions (in my head).
    what people are calling volmers.
    latley using radial thought.

in my world Corsi does reflect procession.
    Strictly Binary.
    have
    not have
    would be and is labelled as Shite by Me!

timed pocession in standard locations with back to and facing the net.
    How it leads to a shot from a % point of view.

Christ making a zonal grid with scoring value from each location on the grid.
    ninjas shot search gives an X,Y value to each shot for and against.

this what you seek!

Back to insane!
    today maybe.
    it was the first day I had my boys to my own!
    usually everything full family
    Hanna to tyrell museum
    ! hr museum (food to go)
    Tyrell to reynolds museum
    1 hr Museum (food to go)
    Reynolds to Red Deer
    Alberta sports hall of fame
    1 Hr museum
    Rise of the Guardians (popcorn Pop)
    Mongolian Grill
    red deer to Hanna

Snowflake!

157. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Dudes! First off, don’t get seats behind the opp’s bench. All you see is the backs of coaches and trainers. Not cool! And, 3rd row means behind the bench. …I get the math now… Rookie mistake…

A few thoughts. Forecheck! Good things happen. The beers cost ridicules amounts of money, but man do they mess you up! Peckham looked good. Dubnyk not so. Hemsky bad pass, Schultz bad read. I still like what Eager brings and would argue 10 mins a night isn’t a bad thang. Forecheck.

Hall.s hit? His leg never lifted up and/or changed any major direction. No further discipline. IMO.

Finally, is it my duty to be a prick to the opp when I’m sitting behind their bench?

158. Reg Dunlop says:

Wes Mantooth-11:
    Here’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be knee on knee, a low bridge hit below the waist is asuspend-able offense. Looking 3-5 games.

The Oilers better have someone who can fight the next time these teams play.

LT

The Oilers are in deep shit.

About that fighting thing next time we play Minnie, man you got that right. Better sign Big Mac to a 1 game contract and get diapers for the kids, it could be ugly.

159. G Money says:

Hall’s hit – a hip check. Looked that way in real time, so I was surprised to see the penalty called. Replayed it on the PVR, and he hits with his hip. The only thing that one angle makes it look vaguely knee-ish is when he squats down to make the check – which of course you have to do to throw a hipcheck.

Almost never cheer a player injury, but the combo of a douchebag like Clutterbuck and the Wild, who for years seemed to use a strategy of trying to injure Oiler players, it’s complete karma.

Frustrated by the Oilers, but find the calls to overhaul the team, tank the season, fire the management team, etc. a bit stupid. Two tendencies are ruining these games consistently – passing up shots in the offensive zone to make pretty passes, and bonehead zone exit attempts, passing up simple zone exits with clear possesion for complex back and forth attempts that inevitably result in a giveaway/turnover and multiple chances the other way. Two of the three Minny goals were easily preventable if a simple zone exit is taken.

The first is easily cured (we saw it in the Dallas and Colorado games). The second one I just don’t know how or why it’s happening, so I don’t know if it’s easy to fix. Maybe the Oiler players really do just have a low defensive IQ? Not sure how you improve brains to go with those elite legs and hands.

160. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”: Smith

Well… c’mon. Blocks, faceoff percentage, takeaways- none of these things equals a goal, but you’re better with them than without.

161. Captain Obvious says:

It wasn’t a knee but it was late. Considering the publicity, the non-suspensions recently, the general dislike the league and its officials have for Hall and the Oilers, and the arbitrary nature of this system of supplementary punishment, I wouldn’t be surprised by an unreasonably high suspension.

This season is over. You can’t win without scoring from three lines and the defense. Considering the mainstream narrative the ironic problem of this team is that it doesn’t have enough skill.

rickithebear: i have worked almost 35 years in industrial design
    and am certified in as-building
    and confidently sitting and critiquing engineers in;
    Civil (Steel and Soil),
    Mechanical (Rotating and Process),
    Material ( Thermal and Chemical),
    Instrumentation
    Network.

taking dated systems, look at trending, and current setingstry to reverse eng 2 to 4 generation changes. to reject or justify the migration.

My strength is to look at
    100′s of columns of data.
    filter the shite
    determine important variables and think of them in 3 dimensions (in my head).
    what people are calling volmers.
    latley using radial thought.

in my world Corsi does reflect procession.
    Strictly Binary.
    have
    not have
    would be and is labelled as Shite by Me!

timed pocession in standardlocations with back to and facing the net.How it leads to a shot from a % point of view.

Christ making a zonal grid with scoring value from each location on the grid.
    ninjas shot search gives an X,Y value to each shot for and against.

this what you seek!

Back to insane!
    today maybe.
    it was the first day I had my boys to my own!
    usually everything full family
    Hanna to tyrell museum
    ! hr museum (food to go)
    Tyrell to reynolds museum
    1 hr Museum (food to go)
    Reynolds to Red Deer
    Alberta sports hall of fame
    1 Hr museum
    Rise of the Guardians (popcorn Pop)
    Mongolian Grill
    red deer to Hanna

Snowflake!

That’s awesome!

You should be as awesome as you are.

Still doesn’t mean that non-goalies influence ONSV% one iota.

The data is there that ONSV% is not repeatable for skaters.

You still cling to these miniscule samples and ignore the work of others who work with much larger samples.

You always bring up the ol’ “shot from center counts as much as a shot from the slot”, when you know full well that the “shot from center” rarely happens and is just a tiny unit of noise that gets washed away in larger samples.

You are right that certain shot locations have a higher chance of going in, but on a teamwide basis its not doesn’t change much in terms of repeatable high SH%, and only slightly on the individual level.

All this work has been done by others with fairly large samples and rigirous process.

If you choose to ignore it, that is entirely your choice.

Just quit telling me you grandpa smoked for 80 years and therefore smoking causes no health problems in no one, becuase that is exactly what your tiny sample observations are providing in terms of conclusions.

icecastles,

That’s really awesome.

164. Smarmy says:

I can’t imagine why Taylor Hall who has no history of suspensions could get five games because people think he led with his knee. (I’d say charley horse) or that it was 0.3 seconds too late.

When you look at suspensions right now it seems ridiculous and woefully uninformed to think he could get that amount. I’m guess he doesn’t get suspended.

165. BlacqueJacque says:

If Hall gets suspended, the headline and music link should be “Goodbye blue sky” (Pink Floyd).

166. DBO says:

This thread is almost over, unless LT is starting late today with a scotch hangover and painful knuckles after hulk-smashing the wall a few times watching that crap fest yesterday.

Regardless, with Hall surely gone for at least 1 game, out comes the Krueger blender, equipped with a new Jones attachment, a rejuvenated Smyth, a slumping Eberle and Nuge, and a clueless Yakupov rookie. Not very fun.

A few hopes heading into our last home game for what may seem like the eternal road trip:
    - I hope Yak plays 4th line at evens. he is clueless out there and should get the rookie Hemsky treatment until he learns to not fly the zone and make spinorama passes on a 3 on 2.
    - Either separate Hemsky and Gagner or give them a responsible winger like Smyth, cause they can not get the puck out of our zone.
    - Split up Nuge and Eberle. time to shake it up.
    - Play Harsky and MPS more. Both are responsible in their own zone, both by eye move the puck out well and actually dump and chase properly, while crashing the net and getting some shots. The “star” kids could learn a few things.
    - Do not add Jones to a scoring line as he is just returning from injury and needs time.
    - Run Whitney for the whole trip and try damn hard to either let him work out his play or improve it enough to dump him. Because Peckham is not the answer. he played OK, and that is more an indictment of how bad our #6 dmen have been then Peckham doing anything of note.

And finally. If Tambo does nothing, and turns into Mr. Dithers 4.0, then fire him. He is fiddling while Rome burns, and at some point someone in management better take some god damn responsibility for how poorly constructed this team is.

I need a drink. I feel like going all Horcov on some mofo’s.

167. bookje says:

After seeing the reverse angle and the image at http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/21/should-taylor-hall-be-suspended-for-his-hit-on-cal-clutterbuck/ I think that Hall could sit for a few games. It didn’t hit knee on knee, but he does appear to lead with his knee for at least a moment, although it was a very weird hit overall with Clutterbuck in a strange position – this may be a mitigating factor. With that said, I am ok with it. Taylor Hall has really awoken this season.

168. franksterra says:

“Taylor Hall has really awoken this season.”

He is Kraken-esque