WORKING FOR THE KLEFBOM

Amid talk of men like Denis Grebeshkov possibly returning to the Oilers next season comes word that Oscar Klefbom is recovering well. This story by Ryan Dittrick uncovers a lot of previously unknown information about the injury and his recovery.

A couple of items:

• DittrickBack on Oct. 9 in a Swedish Elite League game vs. Vaxjo, Klefbom was nudged from behind with what he deemed to be a “dirty hit,” sending him heavily into the boards. On the six-hour, through-the-night bus ride home to Karlstad, the defenceman experienced bleeding in the surrounding muscle and required the use of a sling.

Ack! Dirty hit and then a bus ride from hell. Bonus points for a shoulder injury, the official injury of your. Edmonton. Oilers.

• Klefbom on how it feels“It feels pretty good. It’s been a couple months now, the process has been good and I’m really quite happy with how everything has gone. The surgery and recovery so far has gone quite well. The Oilers have five games here at Rexall Place over the next two weeks, so we arranged for me to come here, watch some games, meet the guys in the locker room and get a check-up from the doctors as well.”

Dittrick is an edmontonoilers.com reporter and my thanks to him for getting information out about the nature of the hit. I don’t really understand why access to these kids is so limited, but at least the question was asked and answered.

57 Responses to "WORKING FOR THE KLEFBOM"

1. raventalon40 says:

That’s an interesting move to get him a little vacation to Oil Country to meet his future teammates. I like it.

Karlsson done… market for Whitney in OTT?

That’s such an interesting article from Jason Gregor.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

He’s got to play in the AHL next year, right?

I mean… only a crazy organization would force a young, injury riddled player to make his North American Pro debut in the NHL, right?

That’s such an interesting article from Jason Gregor.

I think the forwards have more trouble with this than the D as when the D pressure up the ice and the F needs to cover. The F’s have been absent too often.

Gregor is adament that Whitney can play, but doesn’t trust his ankle.

Watching Whitney’s foot work, I’m not sure his ankle can do what it used to and he’s just compensating.

Rom: I think you bring him to camp and see. He was beginning to dominate the SEL, and that’s about equal to AHL (although some will disagree either way). If he can make the jump, fabulous. If not, a season in OKC is a nice plan too.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

haven’t I heard you long for the days when D come to the team with 150 ahl games under their belt?

7. BlacqueJacque says:

Phbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbttttttttttt.

Every Oiler with a shoulder injury “feels pretty good” a few months down the line. Ales Hemsky was “in the best shape of his life” coming into 3 or 4 straight seasons. Taylor Hall was feeling well coming into last year.

Romulus Apotheosis: But… he only played 10 games this season… will be rehabbing all this year… hasn’t played in NA before (minus WJC) and I’m not confident the org. will take the long term interests to heart, they might want the potential elite player he will be in 3 years now.

9. jonrmcleod says:

I believe that Klefbom is also more physically mature than the average 19-year-old hockey player.

10. leadfarmer says:

I know I’ve said this before but this fits better here. I wonder how good he is or would have been without the injuries given that he was compared fairly well to Brodin who is having a good rookie year as the Wilds #2.

11. regwald says:

LT, didn’t see it mentioned last thread and this work thing got in the way of me commenting. Did you see Terry Jones article about MacT this morning ? Interesting, the access the big man has around town to get the interview.

Lowetide: Sure, and I agree that defensemen need to be brought along slowly. However, since we don’t know where he’s at–and he was +7 in 11 SEL games–and the verbal was pretty incredible. I suspect he’ll be in the AHL, but I’m not a believer in just sending a guy out without getting a good look at him. Klefbom will be 20, not 18.

He’s in ink at 3LD and they hope he’ll be 2LD by mid season.

regwald:

No, I didn’t see it. Will go in search of.

14. regwald says:

talks about his role and some of the things he’s doing. adds some boundaries to how we have all wondered what he did.

15. bookjLe says:

Note – for those of you not familiar with the Sun’s pages, you need to click “Get the full story” at the bottom of the page.

Awesome article. Thanks SO much, Regwald and Bookjdjfhgye

17. Rocknrolla says:

Looking forward to seeing this guy in Oiler silks next year. Hopefully he can be that great defensive D for us.

A bit OT, but with all the talk about offer sheets and Restricted Free Agency, I always found it a bit confusing on the rules, and now with a new CBA.

I was worrying about the Oilers potentially getting offer sheets on Schultz, from lets say Anaheim?

Does anyone know a good article or resource that explains the new RFA rules, arb rights, age limits etc?

18. jonrmcleod says:

Rocknrolla,

Are you sure Oilers uniforms are made of silk?

Rocknrolla:

RocknRolla,

The Oilers signed Schultz to a 2-year deal, after which he’ll be an RFA. If the Oilers have any sense at all, they’ll sign him and the Nuge this summer, one full year before either can entertain an offer sheet.

20. Rocknrolla says:

jonrmcleod:
    Rocknrolla,

Are you sure Oilers uniforms are made of silk?

I doubt they are but they should be….Only 23 men can wear these storied robes at any given time…It truly must be an honor…

21. Rocknrolla says:

So basically, if you sign a long term deal before the players current deal expires, you avoid the offer sheet opportunity. Only if it expires and he is an RFA, that is when the offer sheet is a possiblilty. Is that correct?

Also, I have heard that all you need to do is offer a 10% raise above the previous year salary, but in the case of players breaking out, if they get that 10% offer, and dont sign it, do they then get to ask for arbitration? Only at a certain age?

22. Rocknrolla says:

Back on the topic of Klefbom, not sure if you have seen this pic of him after winning the World Juniors, but man the guy is built like a brick sh**house. I can see him being a powerful stay at home, similar to a Bowmeister.

Unfortunately I don’t think the mean streak runs too deep in Swedish players.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Rocknrolla,

Hello, Pierre. Didn’t know you posted here.

24. jp says:

I suspect he’ll take the Gilbert/Petry route. Start on the farm and come up mid-season. Hard to see them starting him in the NHL coming off an 11 month layoff. If he kills at camp it’s certainly possible, but I think he’d have to be pretty amazing. Without the injury I do think he’d have been penciled into the 13-14 starting lineup for the Oilers though.

Rocknrolla:

So basically, if you sign a long term deal before the players current deal expires, you avoid the offer sheet opportunity.Only if it expires and he is an RFA, that is when the offer sheet is a possiblilty.Is that correct?

Also, I have heard that all you need to do is offer a 10% raise above the previous year salary, but in the case of players breaking out, if they get that 10% offer, and dont sign it, do they then get to ask for arbitration?Only at a certain age?

Yes. Sign him long term and it’s good. Even if someone signed Schultz to an offer sheet, EDM would match. What are they gonna do, bring back Chorney? Hahahahahaha.

Arbitration is something a player earns with tenure, I’m not quite certain with the new CBA as it applies to a college man like Schultz.

Anyone?

26. Rebilled says:

Not to play ‘guy who’s never seen Klefbom play and what usually happens to guys drafted 19th overall and are already having surgery’ but i’ve never seen him play.

That being said I hope the best for him and hope he likes our silky igloos.

His Wikipedia stats do say he only had 1 penalty minute in 09-10. Should cut our PIMS in half¡

27. leadfarmer says:

What do you sign Nuge. Playing with injury and fighting the puck a bit. Will be a good player but wouldnt sign him for 6 mil a year yet. See how he does next year.

28. leadfarmer says:

And a guy injured and missing as much development time as Klefbom has he needs a year in the AHL, even if he can play better than Whitney.

bookjLe,

From the Jones piece:

MacTavish says he finds it a total twist from where the team is now from when he coached prior to the 30th-, 30th- and 29th-place seasons and the three trips to the draft picking No. 1 overall.

“When I left, we were missing the big pieces. We had the periphery players taken care of. Now we have the franchise players who can play here for the next 10 or 15 years. We certainly have four or five of those guys. Now we’re more focused on finding the periphery players.

“Because I wasn’t here last year, the biggest surprise for me was how good our goaltending has been. That was a real question mark for me coming in, having not seen the way Devan Dubnyk developed during the second half of the season. Instead of being an issue, goaltending has become a strength.

“I see a lot of positives. We’re not looking for the big parts so much as we’re looking for smaller parts.

“It’s a one-goal league for us now and we’re a goal away. We need another goal. But it’s a real positive when the kids on our top line can match up against any top line in the league and dominate like they did Tuesday night against Dallas. I really thought they dominated the game.

“I think it’s an exciting time. There’s always some angst for the fans and development seldom follows a straight line. There are ups and downs. But it’s trending in the right direction. An organization can never outrun expectations.

“To get to the point where we’re at right now does not come without a lot of pain and suffering. But I don’t expect a lot more of that.”

That’s really nice to read from someone who has decision making power in the organization.

When MacT says:

He’s basically validating that v4.2 is only good at saying “with the first overall pick in the 20xx draft I am so proud to announce…..”

Parts and good pieces are picked up by other organizations every year.

Hell, they could do a 3 for 1 trade right now a guy I know tells me.

Right now!

Or so I hear.

When the Oilers make that 3-for-1, I hope I have a drink in my hands. What are the odds?

31. jdrevenge1 says:

Granted Stauffer didn’t actually name Grebs as coming back… this would be the the Whitney replacement for next year would it not? Interesting stuff if so.

Fairly good.

33. jfry says:

Talk of grebs? For those of us not in Edmonton, or really plugged into the msm, can you provide more, please?

Woodguy: Fairly good.

This summer.

35. bookjLe says:

Woodguy:
    bookjLe,

From the Jones piece:

He’s basically validating that v4.2 is onlygood at saying “with the first overall pick in the 20xx draft I am so proud to announce…..”

Whatever fits your narrative D.S.F WG.

He could also be saying that the team wasn’t looking for those periphery players because they were not a priority the last few years and they are relatively easy to pick up when you need them, particularly when you have an exciting core.

He also noted that he (MacT) wasn’t involved with trades, etc, but that the pain will be over soon. So, unless he is expecting Tambellini to be fired, he must be anticipating that he (Tambi) is going to pick up those peripheral players.

36. delooper says:

bookjLe: Whatever fits your narrative D.S.F WG.

He could also be saying that the team wasn’t looking for those periphery players because they were not a priority the last few years and they are relatively easy to pick up when you need them, particularly whenyou have an exciting core.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what are the odds you end up using the soda water to clean the carpet when that drink leaves both your hand and mouth?

38. Bruce McCurdy says:

delooper: Or perhaps that they were going to bring them in as the core started forming. If they brought in good secondary players three years ago, they’d have never been able to draft RNH and Yakupov.

Bingo.

39. bookjLe says:

Bruce McCurdy: Bingo.

See, Bruce gets it so we must be correct – suck it up WG and polish up that Tambo pin – Hall is going to pot four goals in a game and the celebrations can begin.

Bruce, about 3 years ago you and I were two of the only holdouts against the fall for Hall (under the losing on purpose is bad argument) but now I have accepted that I was wrong. In my mind, this was the only path forwards from where the team was at. What are your thoughts now?

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookjLe,

I accepted the logic of it at the time even as I pulled for the Oilers to win games. They did manage to win a few and still finished 12 points back of 29th.

Funny that since then the Oil went into long-term suck mode to compile a few high picks, but many of the same folks screaming Fall for Hall then seem to be among the least patient now. Odd how things turn.

41. Bookjdjfhgye says:

Awesome article. Thanks SO much, Regwald and Bookjdjfhgye

No Problem – I wish we had that kind of insight into the operations more frequently. Oil Change gives hints, but you get the feeling that there is more misdirection in it than anything.

bookjLe: Whatever fits your narrative D.S.F WG.

He also noted that he (MacT) wasn’t involved with trades, etc, but that the pain will be over soon.So, unless he is expecting Tambellini to be fired, he must be anticipating that he (Tambi) is going to pick up those peripheral players.

So the Oilers are tanking again this year?

I thought the concensus was that this year was the first of not trying to suck?

Where are the periphery players?

V4.2 going to wait until Hall is nearing UFA?

Isn’t your narrative “just wait until they don’t want to suck, then they’ll add good players”?

Where are the good additions?

Everyone screamed Chicago model. Chicago won the last year of Toews/Kane ELCs.

This is the last year of Hall/Eberle ELCs.

*puts pin back in the drawer*

Bruce McCurdy: Bingo.

Oiler’s non-RFA Free Agent signings and trades this year:

Lennart Petrell
    Ryan Smyth
    Darcy Hordichuk
    Yann Danis

2 of them on the farm, Smyth is a shadow of his former self and while being an excellent PKer, Petrell gets outshot by the other team’s 4th lines as a matter of routine.

Trade:

FIstric for 3rd rounder

Fistric is being out shot the worst of all Oiler D while playing the 3rd pair. I like his physicality, but he is exactly what he is.

Not exactly trading for Sharp and signing Hossa.

Bingo?

More like pin the tail on the doney.

If the Oilers aren’t tanking this year then they have terrible management.

44. Henry says:

Woodguy,

In their defense, they did sign Hemsky rather than trading or letting him sail as an UFA. I don’t think they are tanking. They do have questionable management though.

45. gangplank says:

Woodguy,

But but but Seth Jones!!!!!

On a serious note. I completely agree with you. Bruce talks about patience; however havent we been patient enough? Shouldnt we see rewards for our patience? And reward isnt just seeing Taylor Hall flying into offensive zone beating 3 opposition players. Reward is seeing this team now not waste that effort.

We are losing games due to somewhat easily rectifiable problems and a lack of foresight

46. leadfarmer says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Yes, imagine that, its only been 3 years, we should cheer for perpetual tanking. Look I think they should just roll this year with the current lineup and get another top 10 pick in this draft, that looks very deep. But I dont blame any fan that is frustrated with the lack of improvement by this team, and the lack of change in upper management that has bottomed out this once great franchise. If I am the janitor or anyone else working for the oilers doing day to day jobs I would have a CV ready cause we know that they will get the boot instead of upper management when we tank again and changes need to be made..

But we’ll probably just fire the training staff again for all the injuries that happened instead of addressing the real issue.

47. russ99 says:

If Klefbom and Grebeshkov in playing Edmonton next fall preclude the management team from fixing our slapdash defense – with Whitney and maybe Smid also gone, I’m not for it.

Seems to me that would be yet another kick it down the road a year move…

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Grebeskhov-Klefbom
    Fistric

I can see that. Totally. I can see the Oilers doing those moves over the summer.

49. FastOil says:

Seems pretty clear this year was dedicated to acquiring “missing big pieces” given no effort was made to improve the roster outside of adding two more skilled rookies.

Which is fine with me if their “luck holds out” and injuries put us high enough in the draft to choose a quality player for one of the two holes still needing big pieces.

Always excel at what you do – either climb well out of the hole or put your face back down deep in the mud. There’s nothing good in clinging to the crumbling edge of it.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

did he feel he had built a bubble playoff team as he sold it to the public?

Or, was he just shuffling chairs on the titanic?

Either he cynically suckered his season ticket holders and the public, or he has very bad evaluation skills.

like most people, I prefer the former… but fear the latter.

51. Zipdot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: In this conversation it’s worth asking: last year when ST said his goal was “meaningful games in the Spring” (or whatever the exact phrasing was) and when he acquired Sutton, Eager, Belanger, Petrell, Barker, Hordichuk, etc.

If his pro scouts were any good, then Belanger and Eager would have been excellent additions. No telling “what could have been”. So I can’t blame ST for bad evaluation skills, I blame his pro scouts, and I also blame the players for failing to play reasonably well.

Sutton was a solid pick up and could have done some damage in the playoffs.

I blame Jarri Kurri for Petrell. He forced the club to take the player, saying that Petrell was some great untapped talent, but we all know how that went. So Kurri is a horrible player evaluator.

Barker was a good risk that didn’t pan out because of the player. He had every chance to succeed, but instead he chose to play like dancing dogshit.

Hordichuk is what he is… I wish the player would stop breaking his own heart by practicing hockey drills and talking about how much improved his game is and how he’s ready for the coach to put him in for a real player shift.

Didn’t he see the movie Goon? It says right there in the movie that he’s going to be heartbroken!

So in summary, I think he thought he had built a bubble playoff team – and many of us thought we had that potential as well during the Khabibulin run.

52. Zipdot says:

Woodguy: Everyone screamed Chicago model. Chicago won the last year of Toews/Kane ELCs.

This is the last year of Hall/Eberle ELCs.

Oh damn. Now I’m sad.

53. Zipdot says:

bookjLe: Here is that article LT – sheds some light on the ‘who does what’ questions. Clears up a lot of the creative interpretations that people have had here and elsewhere.

Good lookin’ out, Booky Lee!

54. BlacqueJacque says:

If I was picking a player to build around, I’d puck Nuge. Centre, offensively gifted, defensively remarkable.

If I was to pick the best player right now, it’d be a toss-up between Hall and Schultz.

Best goal-scorer? Yak.

55. maudite says:

Probably too late to this but:

I’m with WG 100% on timeline. Really next year you still have Shultz, Petry, Yak, Nug on cheap deals
    ‘Next year:
    Hall (6), Eberle (6), Gagne (4.5+) and Smid (+4) all coming in higher that’s at least 7 million more dollars spent on no new talent.

Two years from now:
    Petry (3.5+), J Shultz (5.5+), Nuge (5+) all coming in likely 4 million more dollars spent on no new talent

These numbers are likely low but 11 million dollars more in cap hit for this lineup:

RNH (5+) – Hall (6)- Eberle (6)
    x – Gagner (4.5)-Yak (3.75)
    MPS (1.5) – x – Harti (1.0)
    x – Lander (1.0) – x
    x

shultz (5.5) -x
    smid (4) – petry (3.5)
    x – x
    x

Dubnyk (3.5)
    x (1.0)

Total 44.5 (more like 47 ish) Cap +65 mil….18 million 10 players to go.

One being a top 4 D man (+4 mil)
    Top 6 winger (+3 mil)
    Effective 3rd line center (+3 mil)

We effectively start reaching the peak of the summit there. Full fair for all the talent. Have to start digging through the bins trying to find finishing pieces. It becomes way harder after next year to ice the type of team it would take to win a cup. Next year is the last chance for the Chi/Pit cup win if you really start looking at the numbers.

YOu really do likely have to buy out Horc’s contract this summer there are just too many years in the critical timeline it will hurt you.

56. maudite says:

I’m not advocating selling the farm for one run here. If you look at the players we will have it’s not a one and done. Stockpiling first overalls as we have ensures we’ll be competitive for awhile. I do find it alarming to hear people overly trumpeting patience at this point though. Between that and listening to management discuss developing defence from within deal. Timelines are wrong. While it won’t hurt us down the road to be able to pull from our minors, our pro scouting and finishing work to this point can’t be ignored. How many years do people have to watch this team run with improper rosters 3 goalies, 8 defense, shipping useful players due to waiver eligibility over shedding less useful pieces. I’m sorry there is not much evidence to support the front office that mismanaged us to bottom dwellers has the skill to build a long term competitive team.

Very quickly (one more full season from now) the cap flexibility to really tilt the scales in your favour all dissapears.