ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

It’s been a long, long road for the trio of Nuge-Hall-Eberle and they’ve played a lot of hockey. Last night suggests there’s gas in the tank and some willingness to burn up the blacktop this spring.

The three kids had an outstanding night last night and the club once again is in the mix for that 8th playoff spot. There’s plenty of work to do, and the odds do not favor a second season, but we’re in the trade deadline window now and the Oilers are not pure sellers (they had a 9% chance of making the playoffs this morning). The next two games will give us an indication, and it would seem there are no great additions coming….and yet.

DEKEYSER SOZE

Oilers management at its highest level is in Toronto today meeting with Dan DeKeyser. The club will no doubt use the same formula that won the Justin Schultz race–MacT, Lowe, Krueger and the actual kids discussing an exciting future. I have no idea if it’ll work but it beats not having the opportunity.

DREGER DEKEYSER

JOKINEN’S ON YOU

DREGER JOKINEN

Jussi Jokinen is on waivers today, I don’t think the Oilers get him even if they make a claim. Suspect Jokinen gets taken by a team lower in the standings. Funny that Jokinen lost his job to former Oiler prospect Riley Nash, I think we’ll see more of that (less expensive role players taking the job of perhaps overpaid veterans).

Here’s (once again) my list of possible assets out at the deadline:

1. Ladislav Smid (UFA)
  2. Ryan Whitney (UFA)
  3. Mark Fistric (UFA)
  4. Ryan Jones (UFA)
  5. Nikolai Khabibulin (UFA)
  6. Ales Hemsky (UFA 2014)
  7. Ben Eager (UFA 2014)
  8. Eric Belanger (UFA 2014)
  9. Sam Gagner (RFA 2013)
  10. Theo Peckham (RFA 2013)

Usually you hear a few rumors here and there, but beyond Fussy Britches most of this list appears safe as of now. Certainly Khabibulin’s shutout should inspire a call or two, and I think Whitney’s name is out there and we shouldn’t be shocked if he moves. Tambellini’s telling Elliotte Friedman they had talked and Matheson’s article the other day suggest Smid’s contract might get done–and may be a long one.

After that, Jones might fetch something but the Oilers may want to sign him, too. Gagner rumors have been around, don’t know if that’s media talking or if there’s something there.

I think the Oilers do have an opportunity to add some nice pieces for the future. If they walk away with DeKeyser and another player (perhaps a forward with size and skill) young enough to play with the group, that should be considered a solid success.

Stay the course, sign Smid, add DeKeyser, look for a good deal on a skill winger and a center if he’s there (he isn’t).

I’m glad MacT is in the room, imagine he’ll say “are you sure you want to do that?” more than once this weekend.

119 Responses to "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

#firelowe

2. regwald says:

LT, I think you have to assert why you think MacT is the voice of reason. I believe that adding more voices to the choir is a good thing and MacT doesn’t lack intelligence. I just haven’t seen a whole bunch of changes yet and management still hasn’t done squat to help this team since the summer.

I hope you are right about MacT, I just don’t see it yet.

regwald:

I hope you are right about MacT, I just don’t see it yet.

4. regwald says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Interesting note: if the Oilers continued their pace so far over an 82-game season, they’d be looking at 79 points.That would be a whopping 5 point improvement over the previous season, good enough for… 14th in the West.

#firelowe

What that is an interesting projection. Just not good enough. Fire MacTambLowe

5. regwald says:

Well, then this is MacT’s summer … we need to see a reversal of direction and a huge improvement in the team. If they send Smid away for pics … then no matter how bright MacT may be, I think it’s a collective braintrust of failure.

regwald: What that is an interesting projection. Just not good enough. Fire MacTambLowe

Oilers are playing the west exclusively, does that factor in?

regwald:

8. DawnM says:

Quick note on Fistric: He’s the only Oiler with a +/- in the black. They got him for a reason and he’s come as advertised, the other night’s faux pas aside.

9. hunter1909 says:

MacT lmao

Yes, this retread has got high intelligence(he wears glasses), and despite being passed over regularly by 29 NHL teams still manages to procure a plum job at the Rexall family of legal pharmacuticals(vs perfectly good recreational drugs that grow like weed)drug empire.

Led by 6 cups Kev himself, the oilers win a fluke game and suddenly they’re back in the playoff race?

I rest my case.

10. jp says:

BlacqueJacque:

#firelowe

regwald,

??? Clear progress year over year folks.
    Playoffs 2014-15. President’s Trophy 2018-19. Cup 2020-21.

Its funny that when the Oilers pull out all the stops to get a FA, they leave Steve in the car with the window rolled down a crack.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielson1260
    From @DarrenDreger Lowe-MacTavish meeting with College UFA D-Man Danny Dekeyser in Toronto this morning. I guess no need for the GM??

If memory serves ST didn’t go to the J.Shultz open house of begging either.

We may throw vitrol at Tambellini because he’s the GM, but not being at either the Dekyser or Shultz meetings is a pretty big tell on who wears the pants in the family.

I guess Lowe’s strategy of pulling himself out of the line of fire worked.

Its also why neither MacT or Lowe will be the next GM.

It probably will be Howson.

There will be howls but Lowe/MacT will duck and cover and it will blow over.

12. maudite says:

I have a hard time imagining 2014 UFA type contracts are that moveable. Even for a guy like hemmer, return would be slightly diminished. With the cap dropping, next year is going to be pretty rough to manage for most of the buyers out there.

13. slopitch says:

Sign Smid
    Sign Fistric
    Sign DeKeyser
    Sign Pajarvi (before he costs too much)

Trade Hemsky (now or the offseason, Hemsky for Yandle?)
    Trade Whitney (best possible return)
    Trade Jones (best possible return)
    Trade Khabby (I think we can get a 2nd for him after yesterday, goalie insurance for a cup run or Pitlick, I think a 2nd should be doable)

Go after guys like Ott, Kreider, Browuer on F or J Cowan on D. Target a goalie like Bishop or M Subban.

14. Racki says:

I wonder how signing or not signing DeKeyser Soze will impact decisions on Smid, Fistric and Peckham. I don’t think they should wait on Smid for a DeKeyser decision, but they probably should with the other guys.

I still believe there is a player there in Peckham, myself though. I’m not sure if Krueger dislikes him because of earlier reported issues of his dedication on/off rink (to his health, I believe) or what the deal is. But if he can be whipped into shape, he’s a great bottom pairing guy. If he can’t.. well I guess we try and trade him somewhere.

Fistric I always really liked too (despite his more recent bit blunder.. 1 play doesn’t make a man). So I do hope the Oilers retain him, even if just to keep him as a 6-8 d-man. Hopefully they can re-sign him for a bargain price.

15. Ryan says:

C’mon guys, you’re all slipping today.

We can’t call ourselves self-respecting Oilers fans if we don’t bite on this, “Funny that Jokinen lost his job to former Oiler prospect Riley Nash, I think we’ll see more of that (less expensive role players taking the job of perhaps overpaid veterans).”

Under the rubric of Tambo’s litany of savvy trades, how do we like the Riley Nash deal? I haven’t watched Carolina play, but he looks to have a pulse by the boxcars. gp: 17 / 3-4-7 +/- +3 (69-79 or 46.6 FO%) We ended up parlaying a 21 for a 46 and grabbing marincin.

Also, how about that Cogliano deal? Anaheim’s 2nd isn’t looking so good this year.

16. slopitch says:

The only trade that sends a bad message to the team is Hemsky but Yakapov is improving of late. Its an ok time to make a good hockey trade. Screw the lottery pick, and play to win but 4-5-6 dont lose the trades.

17. pboy says:

I think that some addition by subtraction needs to occur this summer. There’s no way they can have Belanger in the line-up next year. Buy him out, dump him in the Oklahoma, package a pick with him so a team will take him……..whatever. This team seems to play with more emotion when he’s out of the line-up.

#firemactamblowe

18. Racki says:

I’m not so sure I’m too concerned that Nash has 3 goals in 22 NHL games. That isn’t exactly mind blowing or foretelling what we missed out on. He’s still an unknown, as is Marincin.

As for Cogliano, we had to move him since we had the “shrimps” covered in bulk here. But it hurt to move him for only a 2nd.. always thought he was a better player, but it’s hard to get much more out of a team for a guy who’s playing in the bottom six of a last place team. His goal production also dropped for 2 years in a row. My only regret there is the Oilers didn’t trade him in his first two years when he was a red hot commodity. But everyone would’ve hated that idea back then (myself included).

19. regwald says:

Lowetide: I haven’t looked at the free agent list, don’t know that there’s a clear direction available that way. However, the club should be able to improve via the trade route.

So, if there is no answer in the FA market, then the improvement is either via trade or from Europe UFA. So that drills home the point that there is no easy replacement for Smid in the summer. He needs to be signed and then the scouting staff (oh man) needs to deliver the goods on the fill in pieces.

MacT needs to be the voice of reason ensuring the mgmt team understands what the summer plan needs to be.

Signing Semin and J.Staal puts CAR at $58MM and 17 players signed for next year with no bonus cushion.

Leaves $6MM for 6 players.

Joker’s contract is the biggest one who is easiest to replace.

He’s a hell of a player and they are a worse team having Nash take his spot.

21. Mark-LW says:

Racki: The Oilers Nation guys (namely Gregor and Brownlee) were discussing (suggesting, actually) moving Yakupov for a signed David Clarkson. I’m interested what people here think of that. For me, I’d say we should look for more (maybe Clarkson plus). Maybe you think about moving Yakupov for a solid 2-way center, if someone would give one up (doubtful even if we do dangle a #1 pick). I really don’t like giving up a guy with such high potential though, but you really do have to give to get. But I would shop Yakupov everywhere before making a Clarkson+ trade for Yakupov, and the Devils would really need a significant add on their end to swindle Yakupov away. I think the Oilers should be looking for a big centerman if they’d actually move Yak, and not a big winger.

Brownlee suggesting Yak for Clarkson was the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time. And I periodically read Spector’s columns.

22. justDOit says:

Mark-LW: Brownlee suggesting Yak for Clarkson was the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time.And I periodically read Spector’s columns.

23. nelson88 says:

-10 games at home and 6 on the road.
    - 5 games against teams below us and likely to be in full “don’t give a shit” mode (flames, yotes and Avs)
    - one against the blue jackets who are terrible on the road.

the percentages say it is a long shot and no doubt it is but they really do have a very favourable schedule to pull of a cinderella run. likely to come down to the 3 games against the ducks and 2 against minny. it would be an epic (or intentional) fail if they aren’t nipping at the heals of a playoff spot right to the bitter end.

even with the playoffs not totally out of reach i hope they sell some parts and make “hockey trades” with assets that won’t be here long term. i think there will be a surprisingly strong market for players like Khabbi and Whitney.

24. justDOit says:

Ryan,

I think the Oilers could have traded Schremp to Ana and he’d be doing great this year.

25. Roughneck says:

Mark-LW,

Given that sarcasm appears to trump comprehension, I would think you would be a big fan of spec’s. ;)

Plus…. his deck is awesome!

26. gcw_rocks says:

“Regwald: MacT’s the counter to Lowe. Lowe’s a passionate guy and we know as GM he often did things that did not have the longer view in mind (Comrie Anaheim trade, etc). MacT is more measured in his approach and I believe he has had an impact (draft 2012) on the club.
    That said, you’re right. We don’t have evidence of a clear MacT-led win in the front office. I don’t know that we’ll ever be able to point at a transaction and give credit, but if the decisions improve then imo we can assume he’s helping.”

Hence the return to drafting coke machines at the 2012 draft? That’s a turn in the wrong direction. The drafting philosophy seemed to change materially at that draft and the only new player in the room was MacT. If the decisions appear to get worse, do we assume he is hurting rather than helping by the same logic?

27. borisnikov says:

Roughneck,

Spec? sarcastic? That’s an understatement if I’ve ever heard one. There are probably a few other apt adjectives you could easily place before his name.
    He needs to go back to j-school IMO. I’m not a journalist (faaaar from it) but I’d guess that constant pandering to the lowest common denominator will never win any sort of prestigious journalism award. I’m not sure how he still has a job to be honest.

Oh wait, he works for the same outlet that employs Doug MacLean. Never mind.

28. cabbiesmacker says:

I think the Oilers have opportunities to add via Fistric and Peckham if they are so inclined. There are top end teams, Blackhawks for example, that could use and might be looking for a Dman of the physical, cheaper ilk and willing to trade prospects to get one.

Hawks have kids in the A that could likely improve the Oilers bottom end at F and I can’t see why they’d be that shy to trade them. They are not knee deep in D prospects, especially physical ones. They’re also going to have a tough time with next seasons cap I believe and might be in tough reupping Stalberg and Emery this offseason if that’s their plan. Ben Smith, Jeremy Morin,and maybe even Kyle Beach could be available.

Hell maybe they they decide to dump some high end talent to clear room and ST can make a Peckham/Fistric for Sharp deal happen.

29. Captain Obvious says:

Re: Jokinen

I’ve devised an adjusted +/- system that measures GF (a formula of G/A1/A12/SF)/GA (just SA) against replacement value, incorporates powerplay and shorthanded time, and adjusts for ZS/QC/QT. So based on the events that happen while a player is on the ice and their contribution to those events it boils down a players past value into a single number. This number isn’t an exact measurement since there is no way to perfectly isolate an individuals contribution to what happens on the ice. However, if I do say so myself, it is far better than the traditional +/-, or any other composite advanced stat because it takes into account all of those things we know are real: scoring ability (measured in terms of points with goals weighted more than A2), possession ability (measured in terms of shots for and against), and context (zone starts, competition, teammates).

Anyway using this method you can generate a list of comparables for Jokinen based on last years performance both in terms of the amount of value they had and where they accrued that value. The list :

Jokinen +16 (+4ES +3SH +9PP)
    Brassard + 16 (+7ES, +9PP)
    Hodgson +17 (+4ES, +13PP)
    Clowe +19 (+7ES, +12PP)

All of these players were below average last year at even strength who accrued a significant amount of their value on the powerplay. If I was actually making the decision I’d want multi-year data however, in the absence of that I take back my assessment from yesterday. The Oilers do need another forward and I’d be happy to spend $3M on that forward but on this team I want someone who breaks even at even strength.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t think we should be lamenting the loss of Nash yet. We should wish him well on exploiting his limited window and complain that he was taken over Pacioretty and Perron. 2007 was the year the fuck up fully underway: No Pronger, 3 picks in the top under 21 and lots of talent we passed over.

BTW Gregor and Brownlee are advocating a straight up Yakupov for Clarkson trade over at ON… because “Size!” or something.

“with friends like these something something we’re all going to die”

also, Brownlee wants to sign Nik.

31. bookje says:

Woodguy:

If memory serves ST didn’t go to the J.Shultz open house of begging either.

Or he just knows that he is not really good at that kind of thing. Ralph Krueger is there and he certainly doesn’t run the show. He is very good at persuasive conversations. With that said, I generally agree that there are many people wearing the ‘pants’ on Oilers management and that Steve Tambellini’s are a little smaller than Lowe’s, but you oversimplify things.

As per GM, if you are suggesting that Tambellini is a facade/sacrificial lamb to protect Lowe and you are using that as your logic as to why MacT won’t be GM, I don’t think the logic holds. It’s much easier to be GM of a team with 4-5 stars on it. I suspect MacT’s hubris would allow him to think he could be successful and that there is no need for a sacrificial lamb.

I look forward to the Smid signing soon to a good contract. When it happens, who will you give credit to? Hall? MacT? Gretzky?

32. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit: He did not suggest that trade, if you read the article. Gregor asks him if he makes that trade – yes or no. It was almost like playing date-bang-marry.

And Brownlee said yes, he’d trade Yak for Clarkson

I’m starting to understand the accusations against Brownlee here. He is, at best, a media troll trying to garner attention at times like this.

33. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis: also, Brownlee wants to sign Nik.

I choose to believe that you are kidding.

34. HugThePost says:

Jokinen has cleared waivers today.

What message are the Kids getting when:

1) Horcoff breaks a knuckle and no move is made to at least put a band-aid on this until he gets back

2) centres who have nhl experience like Hall and now Joker are offered up for free and would not be any worse than the pylons we’ve had rotate through the 3rd and 4th C spots all year and no move is made to get them?

35. Hayek says:

If Khabibulin is available, who is the market?

36. Ribs says:

Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Spoke with one GM this morning who likes Jokinen and would have taken him if he was a pending UFA. Next year’s $3 M on his deal scared teams

Does this seem silly to anyone else?

37. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

I thought the reaction to his words was a little overblown. I can understand his perspective in saying yes to that trade though – some of us might not have enough time to wait until this team becomes a contender.

38. hunter1909 says:

bookje: I suspect MacT’s hubris

Riding Chris Pronger to the 2006 finals? Wearing glasses? Doing some bullshit MBA? Curly wurly hair?

What?

39. HugThePost says:

Ribs,

Was the un-named GM Tambo?

Maybe he was scared of actually having a player who could more times than not give us the puck off a draw because he has so few players who would know what to do with it.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: And Brownlee said yes, he’d trade Yak for Clarkson

I’m starting to understand the accusations against Brownlee here.He is, at best, a media troll trying to garner attention at times like this.

This trade suggestion along with the Gagner for Brouwer pushed by Spec awhile ago speak to two things, one often talked about, one less so:

1). “Size! Grit!” etc.

2). “the grass is greener” I think a lot of hockey journalists that work in specific markets (ie., basically only cover one team with any seriousness), have a huge problem with reasonably evaluating talent across the entire league.

They basically only see highlight reels and box cars from the other teams. So, they are prone to missing out on the mistakes, lapses, droughts etc of other teams, but magnify those of their own.

Also, they are extremely prone to narratives created either absent information or from too much bad information.

In the case of one’s own team…. too much. there is a feedback loop of reinforcement surrounding players so that code words stand in for analysis — “elusive” “veteran presence” etc. — Talking about the same players all the time creates a demand for this new simple, shared language. It’s a classic case of more is less.

In the case of other teams… too little. A couple of highlight reel clips scattered over an entire season hardens into a narrative because further investigation is not warranted (i.e., Oiler media is under no pressure to properly access Clarkson or Semin… so a video of a big hit or Semin’s girly arms serves as the symbol of the player in toto).

The difference between Spec and Friedman on the Brouwer example perfectly illustrates the value of a hockey analyst/commentator vs. an Oiler analyst/commentator.

41. justDOit says:

Wow. Can’t believe JJ made it through waivers. But between the cap shrinking next year, and the deadline coming up, teams are either keeping roster spots in hopes of a big trade or not wanting to take on salary for next season. A strange time in the NHL.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hayek:
    People talk a lot about Khabi moving, jsut like last year, but I doubt that is the case at all.Historically, how many backups over the age of 35 have been traded at the deadline?

If Khabibulin is available, who is the market?

Thing is… his contract is over and he actually has played well this year. you aren’t attaching yourself to him long term. it would be fairly low risk for a playoff team with middling depth at G to take a chance on him.

And, despite sportsnet… the asking price is not going to be a 2nd.

43. bookje says:

hunter1909: Interesting word, but what in particular qualifies MacT for hubris? Lucking out as a plugger on part of a dynasty? Doing jail time for killing someone while drunk? Coaching the Oilers after a buddy hires him?

What?

I probably used the wrong word – perhaps confidence with a bit of arrogance would be more accurate.

44. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ’m starting to understand the accusations against Brownlee here.He is, at best, a media troll trying to garner attention at times like this.

Well, you can’t blame a guy for wanting to feed a family.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

Do we know how many teams put in for Hall?

It is interesting that CAR used waivers to pick him up and drop Jok. But I’d be interested in knowing if any other team put in for Hall and if so why they passed on Jok. I’m guessing $$ and/or term

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: Well, you can’t blame a guy for wanting to feed a family.

I didn’t write that… but Brownlee does have Trollish tendencies like when he said Hemsky called his team quitters

He’d fit in with the big news magazines running trolling articles about “tiger moms” “attachment parenting” etc.

47. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

And they will have to re-sign Justin Faulk in 18 months….

Anyone think there is a possibility of taking advantage of Paul Holmgren….massive pressure to make a push for the playoffs. Fighting for his job?

Overpay for Khabby?

48. Jordan says:

Hayek:

If Khabibulin is available, who is the market?

So… The market is clearly teams who need high-end goaltending for short stretches in the hopes of making a playoff run.

Who’s still in the playoff hunt,. and what’s their team save percentage:

In the East:

Los Angeles .899
    St. Louis .883
    San Jose .913
    Nashville .905
    Dallas .902
    Columbus .917

My targets, based on poorer team save percentages are in italics – based on their position in the conference, they need to be better for a good playoff run.

Doesn’t mean that’s where he’d end up, but if you’re looking at teams who have need this season- those are them.

Considering he just shut them out, I’d say St. Louis is a great target. Or if you think you can fleece snow, hit the islanders.

49. regwald says:

Jordan,

That team SV% for LA is misleading. Quick is at .895 and Bernier (the backup) is at .923. The only way LA looks at an upgrade is if they move Bernier for a playoff piece (i.e. Iggy). Their go to guy will be Quick, no matter what the SV% is for him.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

regwald:
    Jordan,

Quick will get the reins in the Playoffs. I don’t think that is in doubt… but if he struggles in a couple of games… I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pull a VAN lou/schneid move.

51. GordM says:

While I firmly remain in the fire TambLowe, or whatever we call it, camp…Lowe’s best work did come at a time of a cap crunch. I don’t know if the lay of the land is as severe as it was (for other teams) and how beneficial it was (for the Oilers) in Summer 2005 as it will potentially be this coming summer, but here’s hoping that is the landscape needed for us to finally see the 3-for-1 trade Lowetide has been calling for.

Either way, I am anticipating a quiet deadline day followed by a busier draft/summer (hopefully under the leadership of a new GM….and not Tambellini or the next Lowe-puppet).

bookje,

Or he just knows that he is not really good at that kind of thing.

So the guy hired to sign FAs, negotiate trades and negotiate contracts isn’t good at persuasive talking.

Well that’s just swell!

53. nelson88 says:

Hayek: People talk a lot about Khabi moving, jsut like last year, but I doubt that is the case at all. Historically, how many backups over the age of 35 have been traded at the deadline?If Khabibulin is available, who is the market?

Roloson in 2006 and that one turned out ok. I’d bet there are a number of teams that will look favourably on a 40 year old cup winner who can play well in stretches. Worst/best case scenario you only need him to play well for 16 games and then no commitment. The Pens just gave a 2nd and 3rd for a bottom pairing defender. I don’t think it a stretch to say a legitimate cup contender would give up a 2nd even for a proven back up. Toronto, Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Detroit, Montreal are all examples of teams likely to make the playoffs with a goaltender that has no playoff experience or a groin pull away from having their #1 go down and no reliable back up. Kipper taking himself off the market only ups the price.

54. rickithebear says:

Romulus Apotheosis: also, Brownlee wants to sign Nik.

This summer I noticed a clear trend from KHB. from the 07-08 season to now.
    KHB allways had a good start to the seasons in the 7-10 games region.
    then fell ff the cliff.
    07-08 2.11GA .930 SV%
    08-09 2.19GA .927SV%
    09-10 2.87GA .920SV%
    10-11 3.31GA .900SV%
    11-12 0.98GA .963SV%

Made me wonder if he would be an ideal back-up for 16-18 games a season.
    Even at his age.
    12-13 7GM 1.93GA .941SV%

Without moving assets
    who will be a better option in the summer.
    willing to take a back-up roll.

bookje, look forward to the Smid signing soon to a good contract. When it happens, who will you give credit to? Hall? MacT? Gretzky?

Same guy who had Hemsky in his office in the Oil Change episode when he signed his extension.

Kevin Lowe

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

rickithebear,

the problem here is threefold:

1) is this performance in limited service going to continue? can you count on 16-18 games of quality from a guy over 40?

2) injuries. as we’ve seen this year, even when he’s played well in limited settings. you can’t count on him as a back-up for 82 games. you will still need a 3rd waiting in the wings for a considerable part of the season.

3) fails to address long term back-up solution.

57. Rondo says:

Great GM’s in any sport get rid of player/players 1-2 years before the big drop off.

Tambo is not a great GM.

58. justDOit says:

Off topic, but something I’ve always wondered about – goal horns. I love the sound of the Edmonton horn, and I think it sounds a lot like a locomotive horn. I’ve always thought the Calgary horn sounded like a sample played on a keyboard, but the article in this link proves me wrong.

59. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    bookje,look forward to the Smid signing soon to a good contract. When it happens, who will you give credit to? Hall? MacT? Gretzky?

Kevin Lowe

60. Hayek says:

nelson88: Roloson in 2006 and that one turned out ok. I’d bet there are a number of teams that will look favourably on a 40 year old cup winner who can play well in stretches. Worst/best case scenario you only need him to play well for 16 games and then no commitment. The Pens just gave a 2nd and 3rd for a bottom pairing defender. I don’t think it a stretch to say a legitimate cup contender would give up a 2nd even for a proven back up. Toronto, Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Detroit, Montrealare all examples of teams likely to make the playoffs with a goaltender that has no playoff experience or a groin pull away from having their #1 go down and no reliable back up. Kipper taking himself off the market only ups the price.

He was splitting duties, and not a backup

61. DeadmanWaking says:

BlacqueJacque: Interesting note: if the Oilers continued their pace so far over an 82-game season, they’d be looking at 79 points. That would be a whopping 5 point improvement over the previous season, good enough for… 14th in the West.

The 50-50 at SCS gives us the following odds:
    Playoffs: 14
    Unseated: 9 11 13 14 14 14 10

That’s very nearly indistinguishable from three coin tosses. The weighted average over all 15 positions comes out to 11.4 which rounds down to 14th. Not good enough. This also assumes we hold pace and that a young team doesn’t improve at the end of the season, and ignores end-of-season effects such as padding success toward either ring (brass or porridge) with the outcomes of meaningless games.

I’ll be plenty satisfied with 10th if it lays the foundation for playing like a team with identity next October. The difference between 11.4th and 10th is turning one loss into a win. That just happened last night. It could happen again.

10th is useless if we’re creating new voids as fast as we’re filling the old ones. If it’s a foregone conclusion that our management is incapable of filling voids faster than new ones form, then 10th just isn’t good enough.

Is “management sucks” an input or an output of your chain of reasoning? Lucky day: with your thumb on the scale, there’s room for both.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hard to imagine Jersey being in the market for yet another 40-year-old goaltender. Two is plenty.

63. Captain Obvious says:

Gregor is now advocating a Yakupov for Clarkson like trade. The good news for Oiler fans is that as incompetent as Oilers management is they are still infinitely smarter than Oilers media.

Seriously, these people couldn’t know less about hockey and the mechanics of roster construction. A Yakupov for Clarkson trade would be one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL. It would make the Kessel trade look like genius. At least Kessel is a legitimate star.

64. Bos8 says:

I have a dream. Throw the sink at Philly, re Couturier. Some such ilk.

Since Lowe is likely not going anywhere, I don’t mind having MacT in the room, because I think MacT can challenge Lowe, whereas the other guys in the room cannot.

That said:
    1) MacT chose Moreau over Smyth as his captain.
    2) MacT didn’t seem to fight to keep Glencross.
    3) MacT tossed Pitkanen after one year.
    4) MacT completely whiffed on Hejda.
    5) MacT preferred Strudwick to Smid.
    6) MacT had no appreciation for Dustin Penner.

i.e. He went a little batshit crazy, like Lowe, after the SC run. Prior to the SC run, MacT never had a run of misjudgments like that.

Still, after a rest, as long as Lowe is here, I’m glad MacT is going to be in the room.

66. TheOtherJohn says:

bookje: Your reverence for Kevin Lowe is admirable. I am not so sure he is deserving even though I like the guy.

Don’t think reverence means what you think it means

67. tubes says:

Captain Obvious:
    Gregor is now advocating a Yakupov for Clarkson like trade.The good news for Oiler fans is that as incompetent as Oilers management is they are still infinitely smarter than Oilers media.

Seriously, these people couldn’t know less about hockey and the mechanics of roster construction. A Yakupov for Clarkson trade would be one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL.It would make the Kessel trade look like genius.At least Kessel is a legitimate star.

Media wants the team to improve now. So do a fair bit of us. Trading Clarkson for Yak would do that. Would it not?

68. bookje says:

godot10:

That said:
    1) MacT chose Moreau over Smyth as his captain.
    2) MacT didn’t seem to fight to keep Glencross.
    3) MacT tossed Pitkanen after one year.
    4) MacT completely whiffed on Hejda.
    5) MacT preferred Strudwick to Smid.
    6) MacT had no appreciation for Dustin Penner.

i.e. He went a little batshit crazy, like Lowe, after the SC run.Prior to the SC run, MacT never had a run of misjudgments like that.

People have presented all kinds of different scenarios regarding who has actually been running the team over the last 4-6 years. Unless the policy of crash and burn for picks is still on (my best guess is that the team was supposed to improve last year and this – hasn’t happened) then they have shown themselves to be poor at assessing players and not good at managing contracts (see Hortichuk for example). I don’t care if its selling or buying this deadline, but I want to see good decisions being made that improve the team’s position. This would include things like getting a decent pick for NK and/or Whitney.

If good things don’t happen, then fire them all. I think they are all culpable.

69. nelson88 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Maybe they are trying to build out their Masters lawn bowling squad…. ;)

You are likely right although I don’t recall Hedberg having much playoff experience and when our 37 (?) year old goaltender went down in 2006 I would gladly have given a 2nd rounder to have had another!

70. nelson88 says:

On the broadcast the other night they mentioned that after the trade deadline NHL teams can carry as many players on the roster as they want? I don’t recall that being the case in previous years? If true that is yet another compelling reason I would pick up a 40 year old goalie with a track record.

71. denny33 says:

bookje,

I agree completely.

I am certain they thought they would see small progress last year and very decent progress this year. ( like me I am afraid )

As I said at the start of the season, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, etc, etc – all were on a downward slope and I would have assumed the Oilers would have risen.

Of course, I hope I am mistaken, but I have feeling that if management is left alone – they will only play at the margins of this roster. Try Sign Dekyeser – play Klefoom and try to add some marginal pieces to the 3rd and 4th lines. Very incremental stuff.

Like you, I very much insist that Whitney and NK be moved for anything possible.

Sincerely hoping Klefbom turns into a strong puck mover and we get a cornerstone player in the 1st round this year. And I am going to say it out loud – I would like to see us show some skill and select a decent player in the 2nd round for once.

Picking at the top of round 2 – Rickie the Bear I think had drafting #30 -#40 as a 40% hit rate for NHL players. – there always some decent players found in that round. Be nice to find a complimentary player there. Last hit in the 2nd round was Jeff Petry in 2006.

For management defenders – please Insert draft is a crap shoot line here…

72. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 3) fails to address long term back-up solution.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. A lot of teams play it a year at a time with their back-ups, and I think Biron and Hedberg might be the only vet backups in the league who have been with their current teams for any length of time. Other long-term back-ups like Bernier are young guys who don’t want to stay back-ups and likely won’t be with their current teams much longer.

Is there a team in the league that currently has a long-term back-up solution?

73. B S says:

tubes: For the first time in a long time, I somewhat agree with you. Gregor knows a fair bit about hockey and is advocating a trade for need based on improving this team now, not in a couple years. Same with Brownlee.There’s a good chance Clarkson will be the better player for the team’s needs, than Yak, for at least one if not two seasons.

Clarkson is a Sam Gagner with less scoring, worse on faceoffs (he’s a RW, also the Oilers area of strength to begin with), and more stupid penalties. Funny thing about size, it’s best determined by weight or mass, height only helps for playing D and a reach advantage when fighting. Sam and Clarkson have the same mass/weight. So tell me would you trade Yakupov for a severely inferior Sam Gagner? Is that an improvement? I don’t think so and I think Romulous hit it when he pointed out that Edmonton’s media tends to work with small pieces of information. Clarkson was hot to start the year. The rest of the league has already seen beyond him, but here the media is still working with 1 month old information.

Also, when you start trading Yak for anything less than a young stud D, or 1st line quality prospect, you lose, no matter the quantity coming back the other way. Gregor and Brownlee should be embarrassed.

Coincidentally, Yak has more takeaways and fewer giveaways than Clarkson, and 6 more blocked shots, The only places where Clarkson beats Yakupov are the box cars (6 more goals, 5 more points) and hits (57 to 25). Yakupov adds 5-10 pounds next summer and the size difference is negligible. Forget long term, in the short term (next season or the one after) Yakupov is going to be the better player, and it won’t even be close.

The Oilers don’t need size, they need a backbone. They need to hit back, take roughing penalties after the play, and say to hell with the refs.

74. Truth Movement says:

Whitney to Boston rumours heating up.
    Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie12m
    There has been considerable talk of Ryan Whitney being traded to BOS and Bruins have certainly done due diligence on his health etc., but…
    Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie11m
    …the Edmonton Oilers say they haven’t traded Whitney to BOS or anywhere else. That’s as of now. No doubt they’re trying to move him.

75. Bos8 says:

Whitney to Boston? More, more. Can the Oilers send them Jones as a tagalong?

76. GordM says:

A Whitney/Hemsky package?

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 30m Wonder if a combo of Ales Hemsky and Ryan Whitney are on Bruins radar if things fall thru on Iginla talks? Both could be useful #BruinsTalk

77. Lucinius says:

All I ask if we trade Hemsky anywhere; get a good return, and have it be to a good team. I’d rather keep him, and its unlikely the Oilers win any trade Hemsky is involved in… but god damn does the guy deserve to be somewhere better.

78. denny33 says:

Truth Movement,

Lord let it be so…..

79. DBO says:

GordM,

That is interesting. talk of Hemsky to Bruins has been around for years, and Whitney is a Boston lad, who could be sheltered at evens and used as a 2nd PP QB. What would you get is the interesting part?

Hypothetically, I wonder if Tambo has a huge domino set up? follow me here…..
    - Passes on Jokinen due to lack of available contracts (going all in on Dekeyser)
    - All in on Dekeyser, adds the dman with promise of hookers and blow (partying with Petrell and Hocov)
    - Likes Jokinen, but wonders about dollars next year. He passes through waivers, and then the Olers deal Eager for Jokinen. a $2 mill cap hit increase, but he is an upgrade on Jones if needed. BAck pocket in case of next domino.
    - Boston thinks Iginla is too steep, so with Jokinen in the back pocket, the Oil move Whitney and Hemsky to Boston. They would have to take back salary (next year Seguin gets paid), so who to take back? Lucic, lol. But it would make sense from Tambo’s point of view. He is crazy over paid ($6 mill cap hit for next 3 years) but he fits the dream list for the Oilers management (even though it hurts our efforts to add impact dmen). No one else cap wise really makes sense. Could be an Oiler prospect heading that way as well. Lucic has been demoted to the third line, so who knows.

80. denny33 says:

Quick Tangent….

Does anyone know why we play Ryan Whitney and Potter -TOGETHER?

81. B S says:

denny33,

to split 2nd PP duties obviously. You can’t put Peckham on the powerplay.

82. denny33 says:

DBO,

Tough in envision a trade involving Hemsky at this time – I mean – most teams want to keep all of their roster players for the run to the cup. EG: Penguins just give up picks….

83. DBO says:

denny33,

Issue is he has another year at $5 mill. jokinen just passed through waivers because of $3 mill next year. So dealing Hemksy means we have to take a contract back for sure.

84. DBO says:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Lucic-Gagner-Yakupov
    Paajarvi-Horcoff-Jokinen (he apparently likes the right side way better)
    Jones-Smyth-Brown

Interesting.

85. asiaoil says:

I actually like a deal like Whitney and Khabbi to a team that has cap room and needs defense and goal help for the playoffs – is a return of Sobotka asking too much?

86. VanOil says:

Am I sure I would trade Whitney to Boston? Yes, no question about return just yes.

Am I sure I would trade Hemskey to Boston? No, unless Dougie Hamilton is coming back.

Are Whitney & Hemskey together enough to get Hamilton unlikely. Boston has figured out you start rebuilds around stud defensemen not forwards. Hamilton should hit prime time as Chara fades.

Would I through Jones into a Whiteny trade to try an upgrade the return from and pick to a prospect. Yes, I would rather have Hartikeinen get Jones’ minutes.

87. B S says:

denny33,

You bring up a good point, most of the fantasy trades around here have envisioned trading Whitney and Khabi for prospects or picks, and dumping the excess weight for bags of pucks (seriously, Hordichuck and Eager for 6th round pick would be nice). But anything involving our actual hockey players (Smid, Hemsky, or *facepalm* Yakupov) has always expected a return of a good player (top 4 defence, top 6 player with “size”) at this stage in the rebuild. Hopefully that means Smid gets signed soon, and any other deals won’t happen until after the season (draft day?).

Edit: “here” referring to the Oilogosphere (and even MSM). Not Lowetide specifically.

88. FastOil says:

denny33:
    Woodguy,

And they will have to re-sign Justin Faulk in 18 months….

Overpay for Khabby?

Hemsky for Couturier and 1st

89. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy:

How old were Bower and Sawchuk when they played for Toronto?

90. fuzzy muppet says:

Would anyone here move Hemsky for Yandle?

91. fuzzy muppet says:

FastOil,

Dream on. There is no way that happens

92. Zelepukin says:

VanOil:

Boston would never trade Hamilton this early in his career and even suggesting it is stupid. Almost as stupid as trade suggestions for Yaks, a first overall pick who hasn’t even completed a full season yet.

93. FastOil says:

fuzzy muppet:
    FastOil,

Dream on.There is no way that happens

Hemsky for Couturier and a not wanted contract?

94. RMGS says:

I am taking a break from enjoying life with much less interest in the Oilers and their shameless management to say that this nonsense about trading Nail Yakupov for David Clarkson needs to stop, at the very least in this sensible forum.

95. fuzzy muppet says:

FastOil,

Better, But whose contract would be coming back??

96. Traktor says:

Someone told me yesterday that Brownlee wanted to trade Yak for Clarkson. I didn’t believe but there it is right now on Oilersnation. Would an absolute idiot. Dude needs to retire and move to BC and cheer for Van City.

97. B S says:

justDOit,

35 or 36 for Sawchuck, Bower was 40. Brodeur is not quite Sawchuck, and Khabbi is a far cry from Bower.

98. voxwah says:

Brownlee drives me nuts with his Yak-you-pov. Learn how to say his name dude.

Hemsky, Whitney and ?? for Lucic. Lowtides 3 for 1.

Lucic is a bit high of a cap hit at 6 million but that’s only one more then Hemsky.

99. Truth Movement says:

Brownlee and Gregor are either trolling or have simply lost their collective minds.

100. justDOit says:

B S,

Not saying that they’re comparable, but age-wise, it’s a close fit, and both have had long careers and both have cup rings.

101. sliderule says:

If we win our next two the only move they can make is to unload Whitney.

We will need Habi if we are making a run so he stays.

The good news for Hemsky fans is no one will want him with that fat 5million for next year.So even if we split the next two he isn’t going anywhere.

102. rich says:

Love all those suggestions of trading Yakupov for Clarkson or other sundry bags of pucks. Reminds me of that genius who used to be the GM of the NYI (Milbury) who traded Chara, Luongo.

I would expect a Robin Brownlee to say it because he’s paid to stir up the pot. I would think the only way that Lowe or Tambellini would do it is if they had a gig next to Milbury on TV sewed up because that would truly be the last trade they’d make. That would also for sure cement the Oilers as the NYI West.

For crying out loud folks – Yakupov is a rookie who’s going to get better in time. He’s been asked to play off his natural wing a good part of the time or on a 3rd line that has not been generating a lot of scoring chances and some of you want to trade him? Youse guys must be smoking the same brand of drapes that Brownlee is if you really think that’s a smart move.

103. B S says:

voxwah,

Why bother, Brownlee doesn’t expect Yak be around much longer anyway.
    justDOit,

Yeah I know, just teasing, I do think that it would be a fair fit and NJ plays a system designed to make it easy on past their prime goaltenders (2nd lowest SA/Game). I think if Khabbi moves (I believe he could be a good backup here if he’s signed at a reasonable rate, but anything 2nd rnd pick or higher should be a sale, Dubby can play out the rest of the season), then there is a chance for a very decent return, as he has championship experience and can steal games (or blow them), he could look like very tempting goaltending depth.

The Oilers need defensemen, preferably 2 defensemen, plus a re-signed Smid. The top nine forwards are more than good enough as is.

If the forwards get the puck in better position with speed on the breakout, they will do more punishing, and be punished less.

The acquisitions that matter and the ones that will deliver the biggest bang for the buck at this point in the rebuild are defensemen.

105. B S says:

justDOit,

I’m sorry, got those wrong, Bower was 42, Sawchuck was 37 almost 38, math me good.

106. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:
    .The top nine forwards are more than good enough as is.

This is 100% false.

Take a jaunt through a playoff series or three and you’d know how far off base you are.

Unless of course you meant good enough to get CLOSE to the playoffs but not really, in which case I would agree wholeheartedly. In a couple of years yes.

107. stevezie says:

I value Clarkson more than a lot of people on here, and I am choosing to believe that something is being misrepresented in the “Yak for Clarkson” trade notion. No reasonable person could suggest this. It is the dumbest idea I’ve heard all year. No way Gregor is saying this. I’m not even especially a Gregor fan and I still refuse to believe it.
    I would like to make him a tempting offer this summer, but I think we have too many RWs already. You do not move a Yakupov to make room for a Clarkson.

108. B S says:

stevezie,

Read and decide for yourself. Maybe it’s to make the idea of resigning Khabbi seem that much more reasonable by comparison.

cabbiesmacker: This is 100% false.

3 #1′s OV.. Hemsky and Eberle would be top ten picks in a redraft. Gagner and Paajarvi both would still go top 15 in redrafts. Horcoff is a solid two way centre. There is more than sufficient top end talent there to be a playoff team now, and contend in the medium term.

The Oilers are NOT outside of the playoffs because of the forwards. They are outside of the playoffs because of the defense.

110. DBO says:

stevezie,

Gregor has held true to the thinking that we have too many of the same thing, and need some grit and truculence in order to have a shot at the playoffs. Not everyone can be 50 pt me (I believe he broke down the the top 9 of the top teams). Clarkson can be had for free this summer, so no need to send away a player.

Someone mentioned Hemsky for Yandle. interesting, especially if you think he is an upgrade on our D (which he prob is).

111. Lucinius says:

godot10,

I’d disagree slightly; the Oilers are outside of the playoffs because of their 4th line, their bottom 4 defensemen, and their defensive zone system. The Oilers could have a much better defense, or fourth line and it wouldn’t solve all their problems based on how bad their defensive zone system is. They’d mitigate it, certainly, but that’s about it.

112. fuzzy muppet says:

Khoklachev(Bruins prospect) just scratched in AHL. Possible trade coming. Staples saying Whitney and MPS possible oilers names.

Merely speculation but if the move MPS for a prospect, they clearly don’t get it

113. MrSmitty says:

Pray Paajarvi isn’t going out the door. I am ready with my pitchfork and torch if he is.

114. fuzzy muppet says:

Well now Iggy is scratched. WTF is happening!!! This isexciting

115. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10: There are not many forward groups one would swap with Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Paajarvi, Gagner, Yakupov. Smyth, Horcoff, and Hemsky.

I do NOT disagree with much of anything you’ve said this thread, but Ryan Smyth isn’t a top nine forward on a decent team anymore,* and I’m not sure that Yakupov is one yet. Yakupov will get there shortly if he hasn’t already, though, so it’s just a matter of replacing Smyth.

*Of course, neither is Taylor Hall, because he plays for the Oilers. But you know what I mean.

116. stevezie says:

B S,

Holy good mercy. I like Clarkson! I even buy the idea that variety is a strength! I totally accept the idea that we might one day trade a star forward or something we lack! But the 1st overall pick for David Clarkson… the conspiracy theorists who claim he’s trolling for listeners/readers have a real good case here.

117. cabbiesmacker says:

3 #1′s OV..Hemsky and Eberle would be top ten picks in a redraft.Gagner and Paajarvi both would still go top 15 in redrafts.Horcoff is a solid two way centre.There is more than sufficient top end talent there to be a playoff team now, and contend in the medium term.

The Oilers are NOT outside of the playoffs because of the forwards.They are outside of the playoffs because of the defense.

You’re crystal balling Godot. I was looking more at today. I don’t believe some of the youth is ready to represent yet.

Here’s what I”ll give you though. Oilers have assets and you can never have enough of those. I don’t for one second believe all of Gagner, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak, and Paajarvi are going to be here in 2 – 3 years so if that’s what you meant…..then ok.

118. B S says:

stevezie,

I’m generally a “saw him good” sort of guy (I work enough with stats in real life that I’m wary about reading anything into them that clashes with solid observations) so I like Clarkson’s game this season, what little I’ve seen. He has 1 point in his last 5 games playing on NJs top line though, and typically tops out with 40+ points in a season, so the second coming of Eric Lindros he is not. I would certainly consider picking him up as 3rd liner for a reasonable price (a D prospect, and a pick or one of our bottom 6).

I already compared his stats with Yakupov and playing in the top six of a cup contender he’s still not much above Yak as it stands. Either Brownlee can’t read the NHL.com stats page (even just box cars and TOI), or he is desperate for attention. Guess his windshield business isn’t working out. Gregor is the one surprising me and I’m starting to get sick of people like him and Spector (yes I just lumped them together) trading Yak, or Hemsky for guys that have maybe 15 more pounds and 20 fewer points/season than them.

119. Kitchener says:

hunter1909: What?

MacT’s top credentials:

#1 – Featured in The Zambonis’ “The Helmet Song” (http://thezambonis.com/music-2/)

#2 – Made Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Craig%20MacTavish)

Joking aside, I thought he was the best TSN panelist just after getting canned.