BLUE JACKETS AT OILERS G33 (12-13) 28.3.13

Last night was a blast on the Al Gore, with talk of Nathan Horton, Milan Lucic and various other Bruins in exchange for Hemsky, Paajarvi, Whitney, picks and prizes. There is ‘something in the air’ about these Edmonton Oilers. I think there’s a sense of urgency, a need to improve the areas that are costing victories.

I think the problem is this: not everyone is going to agree on what is needed, the order of importance for the items on the list, and the amount required to pay for the help. If we’re talking Lucic, the haul would be a mountain of assets and could fairly gut the rebuild–moving Edmonton from building a foundation to pressing for the top in a heartbeat.

No. Acquiring Nathan Horton and his contract is one thing, paying in full to get him here? Oilers aren’t there yet. Still, fun.

Here’s (once again) my list of possible assets out at the deadline:

1. Ladislav Smid (UFA)
  2. Ryan Whitney (UFA)
  3. Mark Fistric (UFA)
  4. Ryan Jones (UFA)
  5. Nikolai Khabibulin (UFA)
  6. Ales Hemsky (UFA 2014)
  7. Ben Eager (UFA 2014)
  8. Eric Belanger (UFA 2014)
  9. Sam Gagner (RFA 2013)
  10. Theo Peckham (RFA 2013)

I don’t think the Oilers should be trading picks. Not yet, certainly not the first round selection in 2013.

souray1

Steve Tambellini arrived late summer of 2008, and about three years later would make the move that defined his time in the GM’s chair: humbling Sheldon Souray and buying out his contract. It happened on the day Tambellini made 7 transactions–putting his stamp on the team.

1. February 28, 2011: Oilers trade L Dustin Penner to Los Angeles for D Colten Teubert, 2011 1st rd pick (Oscar Klefbom) and 2012 3rd rd pick (Daniil Zharkov). This trade–at the 2011 deadline–signaled the rebuild would continue for another season. The Oilers dealt a solid top 6 winger in exchange for three assets who are outside the NHL as we speak today, 2 years later. That’s going to make progress difficult. One note: the return for Jarome Iginla last night looks inferior compared to what Edmonton got for Penner. I remain convinced the return on the deal was fine, but giving up/not trying to compete for many seasons in a row was completely unfair to the fanbase.
  2. June 15, 2011: Oilers sign F Lennart Petrell to a 1-year contract. We didn’t know him then, but Petrell has carved out an NHL career in the same way expansion clubs acquire Euro free agents not under contract as roster options until a better player arrives through trade or the system. He’s still here.
  3. June 26, 2011: Oilers trade C Colin Fraser and Edmonton’s 2012 7th rd pick (Dmitri Sinitsyn) to Los Angeles for Ryan Smyth. I still think this is a high water mark for the Tambellini regime. Smyth’s return had enormous actual and emotional value, despite the current season’s results.
  4. June 27, 2011: Oilers do not tender qualifying offers to forwards Zack Stortini and J-F Jacques. The finishing touches on the transactions that flushed the minor league system, from Schremp to Stortini Tambellini did it in record time.
  5. July 1, 2011: Oilers buy out Sheldon Souray. The story is now infamous and has been re-told so many times I won’t bother here; suffice to say it derailed Souray’s career for a time and robbed the Oilers of an NHL defenseman in a year they probably didn’t want one. A cynic might view this as ‘perfect timing’ or ‘buying the lottery’ but I’m not convinced the Oilers were thinking that far ahead during this period. Their stated concern involved protecting the kids from Souray’s clearly negative view of the organization.
  6. July 1, 2011: Oilers sign L Ben Eager to a 3-year, $3.3M contract. Eager was the upgrade on Jacques, his resume included being a 1st rd pick and a Stanley cup ring. He was most certainly expected to play in the top 9, but concussions and ineffective play made him waiver worthy halfway through the contract.
  7. July 1, 2011: Oilers sign D Cam Barker to a 1-year, $2.25M contract. The advanced stats screamed what the boxcars suggested: this player couldn’t help the Oilers team in the role projected. Arriving the same day Edmonton bought out Sheldon Souray, it framed Steve Tambellini’s team building perfectly: he was going the wrong way–and this time, while apparently trying to improve the team.
  8. July 1, 2011: Oilers sign L Darcy Hordichuk to a 1-year, $825,000 contract. Enforcer signing was a clear upgrade over Zack Stortini, the club signed him for a second season but he did not survive the year, hitting the waiver wire early in the year.
  9. July 1, 2011: Oilers sign C Eric Belanger to a 3-year, $5.25M contract. What looked like a solid, veteran signing to address C was not successful. Of all the moves Tambellini made, I think it’s fair to say that very few thought it would be this wretched in fact. I’m inclined to file this one under ‘signings that didn’t work out’ as opposed to ‘mistakes in procurement.’
  10. July 1, 2011: Oilers trade D Kurtis Foster to Anaheim for D Andy Sutton. A good hockey trade, with Sutton playing well enough to earn another contract (and that deal did not work out due to injury). I’d place this deal in the plus column.
  11. July 1, 2011: Oilers sign D Corey Potter to a 1-year, 2-way contract. The best signing on Steve Tambellini’s big day was an item right at the end of the day, as the club used Tom Renney’s local knowledge of an old Ranger farmhand. Turned out quite well.
  12. July 12, 2011: Oilers trade Andrew Cogliano to Anaheim for 2013 2nd rd pick. The Oilers ended the summer of 2011 by sending away another player who learned in the capital and then moved on to flourish in a new town. Recalling Kyle Brodziak, Jarret Stoll, Raffi Torres and others, Cogliano has emerged as a useful player.

In 2011, the Oilers sent away Dustin Penner, Sheldon Souray, Colin Fraser, Kurtis Foster and Andrew Cogliano. They acquired Oscar Klefbom, Lennart Petrell, Ryan Smyth, Ben Eager, Cam Barker, Darcy Hordichuk, Eric Belanger, Andy Sutton, Corey Potter. Of the group acquired, Petrell, Smyth, Barker, Belanger and Potter are currently in the NHL. Oscar Klefbom and the ANA 2nd are on their way.

The big day–July 1, 2011–fizzled long ago. Souray has recovered his career, Eager, Hordichuk, Barker are barely hanging on, Sutton lost his career to injury and Belanger looks finished. Only Corey Power Potterplay remains, although the contracts of Belanger and Eager are hanging around beyond this summer.

Up next: the biggest free agent signing in many years, and his unique arrival.

lucic1

Back to the Bruins story. I’m always cynical on a trade story until smoke appears, in this case smoke represented by one or more media outlets with some credibility confirming elements of a deal.

hacks

Haggerty works for Comcast Sports Network, that satisfies (for me) the required threshold. So, with that as the backdrop, can we figure out the trade? I don’t think the players in the Iginla deal would be a fit for the Oilers, but the Bruins do have some things the management group would find interesting:

• G Anton Khudobin, a soon to be UFA goaltender (age 26) with a .916SP. Oilers might find him useful as a backup to DD.
  • R Nathan Horton, a soon to be UFA who has under-performed and had injury woes during his time in Boston. Oilers might want to acquire him and make an effort to get the big man under contract. At 27, he should have many miles left–but the injuries are a concern. Concussions are the big concern, but he’s had leg, ankle, knee injuries in the past. I think he’s a guy Boston might consider moving now, owing to his impending free agency and current struggles.
  • L Milan Lucic, soon to be extremely well paid (I don’t know how he’ll cover a $6M bet with his skill set). I can’t see any reasonable way for the Oilers to acquire him before summer, as the Bruins are committed to winning the Stanley this spring. If you’re all in–and Lucic is a unique player, despite the offensive falloff–then this player doesn’t leave the organization.

Haggerty mentions Hemsky (Horton?), Whitney and Paajarvi, but I can’t figure out a way to get Paajarvi onto the roster with value coming back in  return. Can you?

DEKEYSER SOZE

We should hear in the next 48 hours about Dan DeKeyser, I think that’s probably the beginning of the tumbler clicks for Edmonton. Sign DeKeyser and then trade Whitney? Smid? Peckham? Hell, maybe they go get Bouwmeester from Feaster, lord knows he could use an overpay.

Anyway, I’ve felt for some time the Oilers would be active this time, the organization usually does at least one thing at the deadline. This time? I’ll say two, as Tambellini claws back the 2010 selloff with additions.

1. Last deadline: Gilbert for Schultz the elder
  2. 2011 deadline: Penner deal.
  3. 2010 deadline: Grebeshkov to Nashville, Jones waiver claim, Lubo for Whitney, Staios to the Flames.

Hold on. I think this is going to be a wild ride.

450 Responses to "BLUE JACKETS AT OILERS G33 (12-13) 28.3.13"

« Older Comments
  1. jp says:

Can someone remind me again why Khabi was started tonight?

Is RK trying to keep him around for the “stretch drive” or something? I see a 43 save SO vs STL and think MVPs value will never be higher, he won’t see the ice again for the Oilers (ie – wow, he might actually fetch a 3rd, nice!). Then they go fuck it up by playing him again expecting him to keep it up. wtf!?

PS – Nice game I guess. Sort of. Whatever.

2. Lucinius says:

jp,

Probably because he played so well last game. In theory I have no problem starting Khabbi. He was lights out against St. Louis. In a playoff drive you ride the hot goalie, even if its not your starter.

Also partly a showcase, I wager. Which is probably why it backfired.

3. spoiler says:

Bos8:
    Gagner with a four point night – Ahem.Horseshoes or what.

And wasn’t even a star, but I’m pretty sure Spector picked them tonight.

hunter1909:
    Tonight’s game is all Woodguy.

I take full credit as well.

5. maudite says:

How many points did you think we burned not addressing some of the holes coming into the year?

A couple of one year slight overpays with your ample cap space Rosival, Corvo (a one year deal for smyth at a bit higher number), etc…

add the tail spin when we were struggling with injuries and center depth….

The irony in a year you likely could have had a really decent shot at the playoffs if you were managing your team like you were trying to make it, and managed accordingly through the year, likely burned is kind of funny. I’ve just been confused about the objective of this year from the onset really.

6. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: And wasn’t even a star, but I’m pretty sure Spector picked them tonight.

Eager being the second star was a clue.

7. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: Eager being the second star was a clue.

Lol, but nope, Brown being the 3rd.

8. Genjutsu says:

7-13 now a three point spread. This will be the best/worst week of my life.

They should play 48 every year.

9. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler,

I just got back in and hadn’t seen the three stars, and thought I was making a clever joke. In fact, I was just doing a pale imitation of reality. Oops.

10. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”:
    spoiler,

I just got back in and hadn’t seen the three stars, and thought I was making a clever joke.In fact, I was just doing a pale imitation of reality.Oops.

The 4th line played well and really did get things going in the 1st, but 3rd star with the TOI he had is ridiculous. Definitely Spector’s hand.

11. VanOil says:

Should the recent form mean Eberle’s hands are healed from sillily trying to catch a Yakupov shot he could score a few more before the end of the season. 6 more in 15 games is do able if that line stays together. That would mean his pace for 82 games would be 30 plus goals again. If this is a down year i’ll take it.

Why wouldn’t Nuge get an assist on the 83 goal?

He did now.

Been changed on NHL.com

Bos8:
    Gagner with a four point night – Ahem.Horseshoes or what.

Lost the assist they gave him on Hemsky’s goal. 3 points.

He needs 8 points to be a star when Spector is making the choices.

14. HiddenDarts says:

Best Oiler effort I’ve seen all season. Seriously shades of 06.

Sniff. Sniff.

hunter1909: He needs to be back on tv all the time.

I’d watch

16. BlacqueJacque says:

Genjutsu,

50, like it used to be. Meaningful games. Not quite as meaningful as football, but way more so than baseball or basketball.

Paajarvi is just amazing. Just amazing.

I was wrong about Paajarvi in my post.

He’s not a bonafide NHL 3LW

He’s a bonafide NHL 2LW, but still young.

Bonafide.

18. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I was wrong about Paajarvi in my post.

He’s not a bonafide NHL 3LW

He’s a bonafide NHL 2LW, but still young.

Bonafide.

The Oilers have shown some nice patience with him. And Krueger somehow has convinved him that he’s the second coming of Ryan Smyth and he has taken to it like a baby to pots and pans… Bang on a drum all day.

19. rickithebear says:

Woodguy:
    hesmky is redundant!!!

It is the new NHL our 3RW makes 5M

20. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

I’m bored, so I’ll bite: by what insane, but in your mind objectively unassailable, metric have you concluded that Ales Hemsky is our third line right-winger?

21. jp says:

Lucinius:
    jp,

Also partly a showcase, I wager. Which is probably why it backfired.

If he was a 26 yo backup signed through next season, sure give him the start. But my assumption was that they want to move him if they can. The best case showcase scenario just happened in STL. Why mess that up with back to back starts when he couldn’t possibly improve his value. I guess if scouts are in town and want to see him play then you’ve got to play him. But otherwise the chances of him getting shelled or injured are greater than those of another 43 save SO. I see starting him as a no-win situation which the Oilers just lost.

22. VanOil says:

rickithebear: It is the new NHL our 3RW makes 5M

Our third line center makes 5.5M. What this is telling me is we need to spend a lot more on a 3LW. Lol.
    I still remember the Million Dollar Man as a fantasy TV show.

rickithebear: It is the new NHL our 3RW makes 5M

Yakupov doesn’t make 5M.

Standing updated with tonight’s games:

CHICAGO 0.828
    NASHVILLE 0.500
    EDMONTON 0.500
    PHOENIX 0.485
    COLUMBUS 0.485
    CALGARY 0.469
    COLORADO 0.394

Overall

1 CHICAGO 0.828
    2 PITTSBURGH 0.771
    25 CALGARY 0.469
    26 BUFFALO 0.456
    27 TAMPA BAY 0.439
    28 PHILADELPHIA 0.439
    29 COLORADO 0.394
    30 FLORIDA 0.371

I wonder how Ed Snider’s blood pressure is doing these days?

26. jp says:

spoiler: Lol, but nope, Brown being the 3rd.

Wow. I thought you were joking. But wow.

Other standout Oilers don’t jump to mind, but that Atkinson guy had an OK game…

Here’s a fun list to look at in relation to the overall pts%.

NHL team SV% (all game states) (does not include tonight’s games)

TEAM SVPCT
    New Jersey 0.896
    Philadelphia 0.89
    NY Islanders 0.889
    Florida 0.888
    Calgary 0.885
    St. Louis 0.884

Oilers sure stick out like a sore thumb near the top.

“DOOOBIE IS THE PROBLEM!!”

Not a coincidence that the bottom of the this list looks like the bottom of the standings.

Hitchcock can all the 1.5hr post game meetings with Armstong that he wants, its not the skaters that are the problem.

Unless of course they all harangued the goalies for 90 minutes after the Oilers game.

The more I get into the fancy stats, the more I think “goaltending is everything” and its damn near impossible to predict.

28. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    I wonder how Ed Snider’s blood pressure is doing these days?

It’s approximately equal to being at the bottom of the Atlantic, which is exactly where the Flyers are.

29. VanOil says:

Woodguy: I was wrong about Paajarvi in my post.

He’s a bonafide NHL 2LW, but still young.

Trading him is plainly crazy. Signing him should be come a priority. 3 jobs for the weekend sign Paajarvi for 3M, sign Smid for 4M, sign Gagner for 5M on 5,4,3 year deals respectively. Then worry about magic beans for Whitney. You would still have the fire power to case an unexpected (buyout) 1st pairing Dmen UFA is available. Sign a backup goalie and some more turn styles for our 4th line.

It could be a weekend that LT writes about years from now if Tambo does these 3 things that are totally in his control. I think it would prove a under pay for Paajarvi, a little steep for Smid, and fair price for Gagner even though 6 years in management is still not sure. Come on Tambo you don’t need a trade to be the Easter bunny.

30. jp says:

maudite:

A couple of one year slight overpays with your ample cap space Rosival, Corvo (a one year deal for smyth at a bit higher number),etc…

add the tail spin when we were struggling with injuries and center depth….

The irony in a year you likely could have had a really decent shot at the playoffs if you were managing your team like you were trying to make it, and managed accordingly through the year, likely burned is kind of funny.I’ve just been confused about the objective of this year from the onset really.

Sigh. Addressing holes coming into the year, sure. How about even the most glaring during the year. 3 pts back of STL for 8th right now (same # GP). Would some (any) sort of NHL player in place of VDV for 11 games mean 1-2 more wins? Maybe so, maybe not, but damn. How do they not do something there….

31. VanOil says:

Woodguy:

King Herrick looks like he has lost his dog in NYC. His interviews and play for the last month have been hard to watch. Sure there expensive roster can’t score but if he played up to his high standards no one would care.

32. jp says:

VanOil,

Doobie certainly isn’t the problem. Oilers down to a slightly more reasonable 6th in SV% after tonight.

Team SV%:
    2011-12. StL .929 1st
    2012-13 StL .884 30th

Karma.

Ralph on Paajarvi in the post game presser:

“He gets to the blue paint as much as any forward right now. His feet are around the blue paint, around the goaltender. So not only is he using his outside speed and playing extremely (emphasis Ralph’s) responsible without the puck and defensively, his tracking to the net and tracking to that blue paint is as strong as anybody. He is truly going there and as a result getting goals. Its nice to watch a young player take the steps he has at an important time for us”

*swoon*

jp:
    VanOil,

Team SV%:
    2011-12. StL .929 1st
    2012-13 StL .884 30th

Karma.

35. VanOil says:

For those of you still up Rex Murphy burns his bridges on ever setting foot in Newfoundland (leaf land) again. http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/rexmurphy/story/2013/03/28/thenational-rexmurphy-032813.html

36. VanOil says:

Woodguy: Correctly forecasting goaltenders requires chicken blood, eye of newt, dark rum and a magic 8 ball.

Fried chicken in a pinch works for Jobu at least in Baseball and they invented fancy stats. http://youtu.be/FhWsNtZXdpY

37. Bos8 says:

Woodguy:
    Ralph on Paajarvi in the post game presser:

“He gets to the blue paint as much as any forward right now.His feet are around the blue paint, around the goaltender. So not only is he using his outside speed and playing extremely (emphasis Ralph’s) responsible without the puck and defensively, his tracking to the net and tracking to that blue paint is as strong as anybody.He is truly going there and as a result getting goals.Its nice to watch a young player take the steps he has at an important time for us”

*swoon*

The Man who laid it out there. Thanks

I’m just sitting back and enjoying, watching Paajarvi. That drive on the Hemsky goal was just beauty.

38. BONVIE says:

After the Calgary game we should start moving assets. Hopefully the management is not fooled by a couple of wins. They did not try to improve the team all year when we were losing, so now that our chances of making the playoffs have been dashed. Make sure to trade Hemsky, Whitney, Shultz, Eager, Potter, Petrell, and Belanger.

Targets should be 1st or 2nd picks or prospects that are NHL ready or close to NHL ready with size on forward, especially centers.

THis summer after the good teams are done playing hockey we need to trade some of the picks we claimed at the trading deadline and use them at the draft for obtaining some legit top pair defenseman to play with Petry, Smid, and J. Shultz. Fistric and Peckham both should be resigned for the depth to go along with Marincin, and Klefbom.

We definitely need to sign Smid long term..a four year contract would do, sign Fistric as well.

There is only one time of the year when role players and aging vets have a large value, and this would from now to the trade deadline.

39. VanOil says:

@TSNRyanRishaug: Hall admitted Krueger gave him a few shifts off early in third due to turnovers, owned it, said it was a good lesson. He finished strong.

40. jp says:

And sometimes that’s not even enough!

Iirc, there was widespread amazement last year at the ability of the stifling StL defense to turn two pedestrian goalies into Jennings Trophy winners.

Karma. (by which I mean regression to mean via overcorrection).

41. jp says:

Woodguy,

PS – *swoon* X2

42. VanOil says:

BONVIE,

Problem is top pairing Dmen are 5 to 7 years in the making if you draft them. Hall and Eberle’s new contracts would be over by then.

43. VanOil says:

jp: And sometimes that’s not even enough!

Karma. (by which I mean regression to mean via overcorrection).

Interesting is PDO not as brilliant as it seems but just Karma by the numbers?

44. art vandelay says:

Seriously, Oiler fan. Lay off the glue.
    You’re not getting a top 6 FW on a contender for your random Pieces of last-place cr@p.
    You’re making the dimwits who used to call John Short and Bryan Hall sound like Bob McKenzie by comparison.

45. Clay says:

VanOil:

If Rex Murphy can barely read a bunch of unfunny sarcasm off a teleprompter, but nobody is watching, is he still irrelevant?

46. BONVIE says:

VanOil,
    Use the picks at the Draft, not for drafting but trading my friend this is where it is at sell high and buy low. After the good teams are done the playoffs they need to move some players to be within the cap for the following season with new contracts being signed. This is when you use those picks and some assets of your own to go for a 22-29 year old D man who is either poised to be or already a top pair D-man.

I have no interest in the Oilers trying to trade for old balls like Streit. Go where the play is going not where it has been.

art vandelay:
    Seriously, Oiler fan. Lay off the glue.

Hi Art!

I think you cut and paste your comment into the wrong thread.

48. rickithebear says:

Van oil you got it!
    But the 3LW is making 2.25

Steve! Little less anger! Please?

WG of coarse the reduced contract scenario is the dream for Hemsky.
    rule 1 do not mouth a likely unattainable. Or It shall not come to pass, Booooooooo.

In reality the adjusted cap market likely dictates holding hammer . Seeing the cap settle for next year.

But a signed
    Ganger 5.5M
    Smid 3.75M
    MP 2.25M

Means 8M for 3F, 2D, 1G
    Lander 0.9M
    Rajala 0.82M
    Hartikainen .925M
    klefbom 1.275M
    Districts 2.25M

Goalie 1M

What high end cap hits lets us chase top end FA.

Wait smid and Gagner will be top 10 FA for there position.

49. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil: Interesting is PDO not as brilliant as it seems but just Karma by the numbers?

As I understand it, that is and has always been the entire point of PDO.

50. Johnny says:

It’s SIMPLE.

Hemsky and Whitney for Horton. You have to be sure you can sign him though.

And throw in a 2014 pick (2nd or lower) if you have to.

I think that is a realistic trade considering Horton’s UFA status and injury issues.

« Older Comments