MY AIM IS TRUE

Remember that line about waiting 5 years after a draft before assessing? Magnus Paajarvi looks to be proving the point. His path has been winding, but his aim is true.

• Redline Report: Swedish winger Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson possesses blazing speed and is the best pure skater in the entire draft. He’s also got good size and strength, and has been competing against men in the Swedish Elite League all year, so he may be ready to step in and play in the NHL right away.”

MPS has had his struggles, and spent some time in OKC (and welcomed it) on the way to becoming an overnight sensation. Last night’s quote from coach Krueger (hat tip WG) says it all:

• “He gets to the blue paint as much as any forward right now.His feet are around the blue paint, around the goaltender. So not only is he using his outside speed and playing extremely responsible without the puck and defensively, his tracking to the net and tracking to that blue paint is as strong as anybody.He is truly going there and as a result getting goals.Its nice to watch a young player take the steps he has at an important time for us.”

Still a long way to go, but he’s turning some kind of corner. Paajarvi would be an effective player if he could play a 2-way game and score 15–if he can score at a greater clip then we’re looking at something else again.

Could Paajarvi emerge as a legit top 6 LW? If that happens, maybe three scoring lines will actually happen in my lifetime.

Paajarvi is slightly ahead of his RE:

• RE: 39, 3-9-12
  • Actual: 28, 7-3-10
  • Projected 43, 11-5-16

but the real story is his recent offense (in 13 March games, he is 5-3-8) and the things Krueger says above.

Today’s the day for Dan DeKeyser to choose his NHL future. Updates when we get them.

correl12-13

Trading Ryan Whitney looks like it would be difficult, but there’s apparently great interest. His performance last night was quite good to my eye (and Schultz the elder was horrible), but if DeKeyser says “Edmonton” today I think there’s a good chance Whitney is dealt by Monday.

122 Responses to "MY AIM IS TRUE"

1. Zipdot says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Magnus Paajarvi is one of the biggest sleepers in hockey. One day, he will be a superstar.

2007: Sam Gagner
    2008: Jordan Eberle
    2009: Magnus Paajarvi
    2010: Taylor Hall
    2011: RNH
    2012: Nail Yakupov

If Paajarvi can run with those guys, that’s a helluva player. 20 goals a year and his kind of 2-way play? That’s a valuable player.

3. hunter1909 says:

Pajaarvi nearly got run out of the NHL once the word got out he was “soft”. They still try it, but as time goes on they won’t want to bother themselves.

I see him as a never injured, perennial Selke candidate. With 30 goals.

4. Doug McLachlan says:

So am I to understand that not only did the Oil draft a good one in MPS but we “developed” a good one? The mind boggles at the thought.

As for DeKeyser, love the big kid’s size but are we to expect he gets more than a cup of coffee or two this season?

5. hunter1909 says:

Jordan Eberle’s goal last night was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Ever. His skills are all-star, Olympic, whatever you like calibre.

6. Gino says:

I think Paajarvi deserves to be with this club for the next 3-5 years lets get a deal done this summer.
    Also to be the last man standing playing dodge ball must be worth something?

Doug McLachlan:
    So am I to understand that not only did the Oil draft a good one in MPS but we “developed” a good one?The mind boggles at the thought.

I think DeKeyser gets a look at the NHL level, and suspect it’ll be clear of at least one Oiler D.

hunter1909:
    Jordan Eberle’s goal last night was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Ever. His skills are all-star, Olympic, whatever you likecalibre.

He’s so quick and deliberate in close. Cool, calm and a killer.

9. Zipdot says:

Lowetide: He’s so quick and deliberate in close. Cool, calm and a killer.

JORDAN’S A KILLER!

10. Hammers says:

Great to see him get the recognition he deserves . His defensive game seems to be the best of the top 6 . All Iknow is they better not trade him .

11. Gino says:

2007: Sam Gagner
    2008: Jordan Eberle
    2009: Magnus Paajarvi
    2010: Taylor Hall
    2011: RNH
    2012: Nail Yakupov

12. Thiru says:

Lowetide: He’s so quick and deliberate in close. Cool, calm and a killer.

I love that little hesitation move he uses when in close to change his shooting angle. Just lovely. I maintain that he’s a guy that will continue to get better and better.

My highlight from last night is that Yakupov pass. Horcoff wasn’t even in the screen!

Gino: Lowtide, we still require someone with a little more grit in those six you mention. If you were to move one which one would it be?

None. I just wouldn’t move any of them. Seriously.

14. rickithebear says:

hunter1909:

Lets trade him!

15. steveb12344 says:

It really looks like the light finally clicked on for this kid. In the last 10 games or so he’s easily been one of the best Oilers. Just fantastic to see.

As of this morning we are 1.5 games back of St L, and 2.5 back of Det, and SJ. Still lots of hockey left to play.

They need a monster game against the distinguished Canucks. Then no letdowns against the extinguished Flames.

GOilers!!

16. speeds says:

Why move any of them when the grit problem, if there is one, may well resolve itself internally as these players grow and mature?

17. Ducey says:

That 2009 draft is looking wonderful:

Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, B. Schenn, OEL, Kadri, Glennie, Cowan, MPS, Ellis, deHaan

A very nice top 12. This is another strong draft, so I will be pissed if they trade their #1 pick.

The only guy that seems to be a bust from that list is Glennie. The Oilers were rumoured to be high on him. Thank goodness the Stars took him.

The Oilers still have MPS, Lander, Bigos, Rajala and Roy. MBS did a nice job, although he would like to have that third round back (Abney!, Hesketh). To be fair, the only guy to amount to much from that 3rd round (so far) is Cody Eakin.

Whats up with Bigos? Shouldn’t they be signing him soon?

18. admiralmark says:

Ok there’s far too much positivity on this site. I’m gonna go over to Copper & Blue so I can read about everything thats wrong with the Oilers.

19. rickithebear says:

Most of grit is learning to protect yourself at a high level.

20. HBomb says:

My aim is true? I was expecting something more along these lines associated with said lyric…

I know Mr. McCurdy will appreciate a little Genesis on a Friday morning.

Mr. Tambellini has a job to do between now and 1pm MST Wednesday, this much we know….if he could offload some dead weight and get Smid extended, all the better.

speeds: Even if the Oilers top 6 needs more grit, and I’m not sure that it does, I don’t see why you’d be looking to change things now. We’ve heard over and over again the importance of patience. IMO, this is where you show that patience. Paajarvi is not the exact same player he was a year ago. And 3 of the players being talked about are even younger than him!

And now Paajarvi. I think (as was mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago) it’s taken this long for him to condense his game into the smaller sheet of ice.

Phrases like “chicken Swede” and “soft Euro” perhaps come from the difficulty in adjusting to the bigger ice. But hell, he’s adjusted!

22. Bryan says:

speeds: Even if the Oilers top 6 needs more grit, and I’m not sure that it does, I don’t see why you’d be looking to change things now.We’ve heard over and over again the importance of patience.IMO, this is where you show that patience. Paajarvi is not the exact same player he was a year ago.And 3 of the players being talked about are even younger than him!

Can we please bombard Oiler HQ with this message, and add in Hemsky, or somehow steal their phones for a few days!!

23. Kirby says:

speeds:

I have the same sentiment. Nail Yakupov (as a 19 year old rookie), has already shown he is willing and able to be physical – He might not be the tallest guy (5’11″), but hes already listed at 184; in 2-3 years, he most likely fills out around 195-200. Taylor Hall at 21 is listed at 6’1″ and 195 pounds, and we all know hes a bull who will continue getting bigger and stronger. He also throws some hits. MPS is 6’3″ and 208 pounds and is finally starting to show what he did in the SEL – the confidence that he can actually use that size.

Last year, MPS would take big hit and seem to disappear afterwards; this year, he takes one of those hits and either keeps on going, or plays harder. If he can keep this up, along with the growth in size/strength in Hall and Yakupov, there may not be need for a trade for this so called “missing” grit.

24. HBomb says:

Lowetide: True. Also, the idea of “grit” is only arguable with things like going to the net and into high traffic areas for the puck. Hall certainly does this, Nuge wins battles, Eberle goes to the slot all the damn time, Gagner battles, Hemsky does too, Yakupov hits people like he’s a Coke Machine.

Want to add some size to the top nine? There’s a large winger who likely could be had for a song from the LA Kings.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
    Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky

That…is a good top-nine.

25. cabbiesmacker says:

2007: Sam Gagner
    2008: Jordan Eberle
    2009: Magnus Paajarvi
    2010: Taylor Hall
    2011: RNH
    2012: Nail Yakupov

Not sure you were intending to LT but that list of picks looks an awful lot like next years starting top 6 to me. Something also looks to have clicked in with Yakupov and I don’t laud him now just because of the nifty Horcoff setup. He’s been more physical the last 3 – 4 games and looks more confident carrying the puck. There’s a very good NHL player in there.

Second line of MPS – Gagner – Yakupov ?

If it comes to pass it would probably be Hemsky changing teams for help on the back end. That would be a sad day I think and I really hope it doesn’t happen. One more year on the RW with Horcoff and ????? and plenty of PP time I hope.

Even here today Yak gets a mention for his assist and Eberle for his goal but not one word about the goal Ales scored. One that can only be deemed “Hemsky-like”. The guy has looked awful good when playing with others of similar talent levels but his $5M goes a long ways towards a top 2 D,

Ducey,

Luckily DAL took Glennie before the OIlers could.

MPS falling into their lap was a nice stroke of luck.

Cue: DeeEssEff and Kulikov

27. Bryan says:

Hemsky was an absolute treat to watch last night! The thought of trading him for a plug like Lucic takes the sunshine out of the morning for me! If the Oilers want to unload a few extras that will be gone at the end of the year anyway then that is fine, but please don’t screw up what has taken so long to put in place! I wish I had just a tiny bit of faith in management and my coffee would be tasting better!

Woodguy:
    Ducey,

Luckily DAL took Glennie before the OIlers could.

MPS falling into their lap was a nice stroke of luck.

Cue: DeeEssEff and Kulikov

29. doritogrande says:

HBomb: Want to add some size to the top nine?There’s a large winger who likely could be had for a song from the LA Kings.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
    Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky

That…is a good top-nine.

Ryan Whitney: The Bruins are looking for a defenseman and there’s little doubt the Massachusetts native would love to play for the Black and Gold. The Bruins have made phone calls about Whitney and it seemed like things might have been progressing on that front Wednesday when the Iginla deal looked imminent. But now it’s cooled off a little as the Bruins regroup and go for Plan B. The Edmonton Oilers are said to be looking for a Douglas Murray-type return (two second round picks) or a goaltender (Niklas Svedberg) in exchange for Whitney, and neither of those is going to happen. It isn’t out of the realm of possibility to see a Jordan Caron-for-Ryan Whitney still happen if the Bruins need to get an offensive defenseman.

31. FPB94 says:

First of all it’s pretty funny how a good couple of games turn the Eberle thing around.

@LT: I’ve been always hoping that you’d be wrong with Paajarvi, that he’d be more than Dvorak, but now it sounds just about right (for him and the Oilers) too bad he has hands of stone.

RK actually said even more nice things about MPS right after he said the above.

Hit the link below and click on RK’s post game. MPS stuff starts at 4:24

FPB94:

I don’t think there was anything to turn around in regard to Eberle. He’s a terrific young player, and the puck luck is going his way now after going the other direction earlier. Eberle’s an extreme value for where he was selected and a big part of the Oilers future.

Is there an argument otherwise?

34. FPB94 says:

It seemed to me some people here were getting quick on the gun, especially because of his contract.

I’ve never been worried tough.

35. cabbiesmacker says:

I love the last line on Iginla. Nice enough guy and a great hockey player in his day but Jarome has always done what’s good for Jarome and his place in the spotlight.

“Play for Canada on the international front?” “Oh no…I have a booboo.” “Only if it’s the Olympics please.”

Dude was no Ryan Smyth by any stretch.

I hope you retire cupless Jarome. Thanks for a reason to cheer against the Pens.

36. TheOtherJohn says:

Paajarvi could develop into a very nice player. A great skating good defensive forward who may be able to slide up the lines and play anywhere. At 15 goals year he’s a player. At 20+ he will be especially valuable on this roster.

Still need size & grit on top 6 for the 20 game tournament that is the SC playoffs but understand why everyone wants to keep our top young players. It is very very hard to project who, of the group, will develop the least. If Calgary is selling can we trade for Glencross which will be expensive. I’d say trade some of our bright shinny prospects in the AHL for GlenX but we will find out that the great bulk of them are only bright and shiny in the Oilers eyes.

I would trade any of our draft picks not named Klefbom in a deal for GlenX. Any of them

37. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

Could we do Lowetide @ High Noon today, I feel like my hokey fix today! Also is Luedecke teed up for tomorrow? Am sure he will have New England take on Iggy trade

Give a healthy dose of credit to Todd Nelson (and perhaps the off-criticized guy who hired Todd Nelson).

Paajarvi grew playing defense. Just phenomenal natural physical talent. Trained well in Sweden how (as MacT used to say) not give up much. But he really had a poor understanding of the forward position in the offensive zone in the North American game.

What did Todd Nelson do. He played him everywhere, with everyone, and in every role imaginable.

He played LW and RW. He played with the checkers. He played with the grinding offensive cyclers. He played with the skill guys. He played on the PP, on the point on the PP, and on the PK. I.e. He was able to observe all the forward roles and how to play them.

So now all Krueger had to do was tell Magnus, we need you to play this role.

And because of what Todd Nelson did, Magnus understands what the forward has to do in every role.

TheOtherJohn:
    LT

Could we do Lowetide @ High Noon today, I feel likemy hokey fix today! Also is Luedecke teed up for tomorrow? Am sure he will have New England take on Iggy trade

Yes. Luedeke will be in the house!

40. jp says:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
    Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky

That…is a good top-nine.

That is a very nice top 9.

doritogrande: No love for Hartikainen? I agree with you that Penner would upgrade that slot, and cheaply, but we’ve got an in-house solution.

Nope. I’m still not sold as Harti. He’s certainly a 4th liner, maybe better, but Penner is clearly a better player (or at least is capable of being a better player). Not that management would bring him back though.

Get something done boys. Never mind 2 second rounders. I’d be ecstatic if Whitney brings back one late 2nd.

TheOtherJohn:

Still need size & grit on top 6 for the 20 game tournament that is the SC playoffs but understand why everyone wants to keep our top young players. It is very very hard to project who, of the group, will develop the least. If Calgary is selling can we trade for Glencross which will be expensive. I’d say trade some of our bright shinny prospects in the AHL for GlenX but we will find out that the great bulk of themare only bright and shiny in the Oilers eyes.

I would tradeany of our draft picks not named Klefbom in a deal for GlenX. Any of them

The Oilers should want the next Glencross, NOT the current Glencross.

The Oilers should want the next Clowe, NOT the current Clowe.

The current Clowe and Glencross are for Cup contenders.

The Oilers need to probe the bottoms of NHL rosters, and AHL teams for the next Glencross, the way they found Glencross originally, and Jason Smith and Steve Staios and Mike Grier.

The Oilers got Glencross, Smith, Staios, Grier, Marchant, Moreau, etc, before they were the players they would become.

The Oilers need depth forwards whose careers are on the ascent, not whose careers have peaked, and are about to decline.

42. VanOil says:

I would take a bucket of pucks for Whitney but that is me being a spiteful irrational fan. I would prefer Svedberg as Oilers have a need for a backup goalie. Caron looks like a injured Hartikainen. He is a RW and we have 3 all world RW already.

godot10: The Oilers should want the next Glencross, NOT the current Glencross.

The Oilers should want the next Clowe, NOT the current Clowe.

The current Clowe and Glencross are for Cup contenders.

I would make an exception to this rule for a mid-career NHL defensemen (or two). The Oilers have to bridge the gap to their deep pool of drafted D.

44. jonrmcleod says:

I find it surprising that Haggerty commented on Richard Cloutier’s trade rumor regarding Lucic.

45. TheOtherJohn says:

Godot10

You realize GlenX is 30 Right? Wanna look at rosters of last 10 SCC they are NOT exclusively 24 year olds. I’ve seen job Oilers have done pro scouting and I’m good trading for GlenX

No interest in Clowe. Not sure why, just don’t. Would love to add Jared Boll too

While extolling Todd Nelson’s virtues how are:Plante, Tuebert, Lander, Pitlick, Hamilton, Martindale developing on the farm? Not so good, eh. Maybe It’s easier to “develop” a 10th overall pick than it is to develop the guys that you were hired to develop

46. Ducey says:

TheOtherJohn:

GlenX has a NMC. We all know how well Feaster handles those.

It was interesting yesterday when Ken King basically threw Feaster under the bus by admitting if they had to do it over again they would have had Iginla provide the names of the four teams in writing.

If Feaster fumbles again he might be gone.

47. bluenotenorth says:

EDM 0.667 | 0.500
    NAS 0.679 | 0.500
    CBJ 0.700 | 0.485
    PHX 0.714 | 0.485
    CAL 0.719 | 0.469
    COL 0.900 | 0.394

STL performance needs to be above seasonal average to reach 53 points.

Oilers are 0.667 since Horcoff’s return.

Oilers would need to go 5-2-2 at home and 3-1-2 away to reach 53 points.

If Oilers win their next two games, they will be 0.615 | 0.529 at the trade deadline.

Is that enough to convince Lowe et al that they are still in a playoff race?

Hope not. Hope they are sellers. Move Whitney, please.

48. Bos8 says:

What I didn’t realize until Mr McCurdy’s fine column, is that Hall got his butt parked for nine minutes. Now that’s a coach, boys. “Hallzie, you’re a star, you make big bucks – but I’m the coach, so get your head out of your ass and play like you should. We’re trying to win a game here”.

That’s what I call “Good communication skills”

Brass balls Ralphie, brass balls. Oh, Yeah.

49. TheOtherJohn says:

I would have thought the failed AHL forward list i just listed would give you pause before anointing the drafted D as being just a year or two away. The Oilers do very few things superbly but selling just selected draft picks as GREAT is one of them. I am confident Klefbom will have a long NHL career, the rest of the bright & shiny defensive draft picks: maybe. That is, maybe 1 or 2 of them will have NHL careers

So before you hold off on adding players lets see these kids trajectory in pro hockey before we hand them roster spots

TheOtherJohn:
    Godot10

While extolling Todd Nelson’s virtues how are:Plante, Tuebert, Lander, Pitlick, Hamilton, Martindaledeveloping on the farm? Not so good, eh. Maybe It’s easier to “develop” a 10th overall pick than it is to develop the guys that you were hired to develop

You get no bargain contracts or value for money contracts on 30-years olds. If one is a contender…sure. But if one is building, you work against yourself taking on 30 year old role players who production and play begins to decline over time.

A hard cap system is about value for money. Paying full value for 30-35 years olds is for contending teams, not rebuilding teams.

People forget all their moneypuck lessons as soon as a 30-something establisihed hockey player flashes before them. Then the value-for-money aspect of analytics seems to go out the window.

You can’t bury contracts any more.

51. Ray says:

is it just me or when talking about adding a gritty winger to play in the top 6 or 9 shouldn’t we look at a centre that is flexible enough to shift to the LW spot. Then RK could cycle Horc and hypothetical new forward around

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

last night was amazing. Yak, ebs, magnus, hemsky… all with crazy good performances.

I still can’t believe there are doubters on these players.

keep them all. sign smid and cull the weak pieces.

ps. twitter says its the wings…. radically unconfirmed. still hope!

53. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Please let that be a tweet from Aaron Ward…?

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Please let that be a tweet from Aaron Ward…?

the completely credible sounding “rumor wire”

55. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10: Yep…30 is when Sather began dumping his role players, and replaced them with younger, hungrier, cheaper role players. This is how the Oilers stayed competitive during the no money EIG-Lowe early years.

You get no bargain contracts or value for money contracts on 30-years olds.If one is a contender…sure.But if one is building, you work against yourself taking on 30 year old role players who production and play begins to decline over time.

A hard cap system is about value for money.Paying full value for 30-35 years olds is for contendingteams, not rebuilding teams.

People forget all their moneypuck lessons as soon as a 30-something establisihed hockey player flashes before them.Then the value-for-money aspect of analytics seems to go out the window.

You can’t bury contracts any more.

Mark Naprier, Kent Nilsson, Pouzar………. Pretty sure LAK didn’t get your memo they acquired and gve significant minutes to Scuderi & Willie Mitchell

Forgot Musil, Gernat & D Simoson will fill out our D

Romulus Apotheosis: the completely credible sounding “rumor wire”

I like the comment ‘stot in the dark.’ Hahahaha. The keyboard is so difficult!

57. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well, that settles it then – tough to compete with 10% off Little Caesars’ pizza…

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I like the comment ‘stot in the dark.’ Hahahaha. The keyboard is so difficult!

Romulus Apotheosis: tangent: my dad love’s Peter Sellers, but if you try to talk to him about the Pink Panther and refer to anything but the first two films (the second called “A Shot in the Dark”) you are in for a long-form performance of “disappointed older gentlemen groaning to mythical proportions”

60. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Dr. Strangelove for me. If you’ve never heard Sellers go through all the variations of a British accent, it’s amazing.

Your Dad is right – it’s like Gretzky being remembered as a NYR.

61. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: My favorite movie of his is Being There,

That movie sums up oiler’s management as well as anything.

62. jake70 says:

I can’t think of a game where Hemsky skated better than that. Full out skating, no gliding at all. And that body language after that goal..something to behold….;-)

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Loved Sellers. My favorite movie of his is Being There, but the Pink Panther movies are classic. Farce later though, your Dad’s right. A Shot in the Dark introduced Dreyfus iirc

being there was a real return to form… “muted crazy” is a good description of that kind of british comedy… slapstick but restrained at the same time. Some of the great Alec Guiness films are in the same vein. weird blend of high and low comedy.

“The Party” though… man… that movie is classic right through. “bang hardy cowboy” makes me wince with pain laughter each time!

Lowetide: I remember talking to Guy Flaming after the draft and iirc the name they were going to call was John Moore (and Kulikov was in there somewhere).

Really? That early?

I heard Glennie, but Guy probably knows more. Or Moore.

65. justDOit says:

Detroit signing is official – Justin Verlander signs $202M dollar deal.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Detroit signing is official – Justin Verlander signs $202M dollar deal.

I was at this game a couple years ago:

one of those weird fan moments where you stop rooting for the home team and root for history in the final stages

of course… I’m a pretty fair weather jays fan.

67. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

To be honest, I don’t know who this Verlader guy is, but that would be very cool to see a no-hitter in person. I don’t think I’ve watched a Jays game since ’92.

godot10: The Oilers should want the next Glencross, NOT the current Glencross.

The Oilers should want the next Clowe, NOT the current Clowe.

The current Clowe and Glencross are for Cup contenders.

I agree.

Finding the jewels in the AHL or out of the healthy scratches in the NHL was one of the Oiler’s best attributes.

Wonder who the key guy was in all that who is no longer here?

I don’t want to say Sather because it continued after he left Glencross, Hedja, Gilbert etc.

Woodguy: Really? That early?

I heard Glennie, but Guy probably knows more. Or Moore.

Nope you’re right. Quoting Guy’s column:

My sense was that by the time the draft was about to get underway, the Oilers had eliminated the two Swedes from serious consideration and that Kadri probably wouldn’t be available leaving them with Moore and Glennie sitting neck-and-neck with equal value to them. The only difference between the two players being that the franchise is arguable more in need of a scoring forward than a top-3 defenceman making Glennie their man.

Ducey: GlenX has a NMC.We all know how well Feaster handles those.

If Feaster fumbles again he might be gone.

Couple that with the ROR thing and he might be gone in the off season already.

bluenotenorth,

Hope not. Hope they are sellers. Move Whitney, please.

Don’t have to be sellers to get rid of Whitney.

See what Wilson did with Stone Footed Turnstile Murray.

Fleeced Shero and SJS hasn’t lost since Murray left.

72. TheOtherJohn says:

No question they used to have someone in pro scouting who knew stuff, Could id real gems in rough. 20 years ago they had someone in org that could I’d & project goalies: Moog, Fuhr, Randford, Joseph …. That guys been long gone

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Here in toronto where hockey is very expensive, jays and raptors games are remarkably affordable. As much as a flic.

I love baseball, but lost interest in the jays somewhere along the line…

seeing a no-hitter was very impressive. and if you don’t know much about verlander, all you need to know is he is very, very good.

74. FPB94 says:

Dodged a bullet there. He was Brayden’s sidekick and he ain’t a worldbreaker either.

godot10,

Yup.

Cap system is an efficiency contest. Tyler harps on that constantly.

That’s why while no one wants to trade 14, if you had a gun to your head and had to trade one of 4,14,93,89,64,91 you would pick 14.

You pick 14 because he’s probably an overpay for at least 3 years and brings a large return.

There are no other overpays among those players….yet.

4 is a value contract from day one and goes for 7 years. Great contract.

Having Hall on a value contract really sets the table for the next 7 years.

Kudos where they are due.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

how is it that the PIT moves seem so discordant. the Murray move looks like a huge overpay, the Morrow looks about right and the Iginla move looks like a bargain…. weird.

77. TheOtherJohn says:

Spring training in Phoenix area is really fun. End of March you are seeing pretty good ball and reasonable pricing . Lots of teams, lots of games in very small area: 25 -30 miles apart

TheOtherJohn:
    No question they used to have someone in pro scouting who knew stuff, I’d real gems in rough. 20 years ago they had someone in org that could I’d & project goalies: Moog, Fuhr, Randford, Joseph …. That guys been long gone

Well, they traded two first round picks for Joseph and Rosie from STL, so everyone knew he was good already.

Great job getting Rosie as a throw in.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Woodguy,

Shero had Feaster over a barrell and knew it.

I think Shero has done some fine work, but he has his missteps too

80. bluenotenorth says:

Woodguy,

Don’t have to be sellers to get rid of Whitney.

True. Just don’t want Oilers to think they are contenders and keep Whitney for the run. Or bring in perceived help that will screw their cap in two years.

81. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Oh wait – I was at a Jays’ game in 2005. Was working in TO and got 4 free tix in the first row, right at the 3rd base bag – could have horced a loogie on the 3rd baseman. Gave two tix to a nice couple from Wales who were in town for a rugby event, and they bought beer and food all night in exchange. It was a nice break from the smog and humidity that was at record levels that summer.

82. misfit says:

Paajarvi doesn’t look to be the next Marian Hossa, but if he can become our Jere Lehtinen, I’d be equally thrilled. And if the Scultz/Zubov comparisons turn out, we just need a Joe Niewendyk, Derian Hatcher (Smid is more of a Matvichuk IMO), and Ed Belfour and we’ll be all set.

Of course, this is asuming RNH is our Modano and one of Eberle/Yakupov plays the part of Brett Hull.

83. justDOit says:

Not really impressed with the DeKeyser camp’s regard for deadlines (noon EST…). We can only hope that KL’s stories of Comrie playing in front of his home crowd are giving Danny something to think about.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Shero had Feaster over a barrell and knew it.

I think Shero has done some fine work, but he has his missteps too

The hard part is assessing the need that went into those trades because they seem all over the map. I agree that in the end Shero breaks even or comes out ahead (esp. by the measure to adding depth for a run).

But the murray deal looks like a desperate man trying to fix a problem now and not waiting until the groupon for re-shingling comes around.

That’s the kind of guy we want Bos to be re: Whitney

justDOit,

Did your avatar change?

Toronto can get gross-hot in the summer. on those days the wife likes to picnic on the island. remarkable part of the city.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

let’s just hope KL didn’t bring Comrie up at all!!

“I may employ great spite in dealing with you down the road to no one’s advantage”

86. art vandelay says:

A perfectly reasonabl expectation.

87. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Did your avatar change?

Yes – the Bubbles av was me welcoming Feaster to the desert.

But the pressure of a home town crowd might be a good thing to bring up to DeKeyser, and it also can show how Oiler mgmt has learned from past mistakes.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

88. TheOtherJohn says:

Yes Joseph had a playoff year for StL where he stoned opponents in an unbelievable series of games but that was also 4 very good goalies in a row: we have not found 2 goalies in the subsequent 15 years.

Forgot about Grier ….could use him our third line with MPS. If only he ever learned to learned to turn ;-)

Agree completely cap era is all about salary efficiency and identifying who drives bus: ie MC79′s comment on LeClair/Lindros. Lindros drove that bus. No way your 2nd,3rd, 4th or 5th best player should be paid like your best player and that is what Eberle contract does.

I am not saying Eberle is our 5th best player but we already know he is not at Hall’s level. Nor should he be paid at that level. Extremely shortsighted. We do not know if any of the other kids will surpass Eberle. Very nice dilemma to have but by paying Eberle $6m that sets the floor for RNH, JSchultz and Yak if they have a single good year and then we have REAL Cap problems.

My own view is that it shakes out as : Hall, Yak, JSchultz, RNH, Eberle & Gags but we will not know that for 2-3-4 years.

Its also why it is imperative to quit giving stupid contracts to anyone. Smyth at $2.25 next year is a ridiculous contract. Nor do I know what management was thinking when they signed it. Would you rather have GlenX at $2.55m for next year or Smytth on your 4th line @$2.25m. Two more years of GlenX at $2.55 is also just fine by me.

Stauffer tweeted Smid ceiling 4 years at $3.5m is more of the same nonsense. We have Nic Schultz being paid $3.5m this year and next and that is the supposed ceiling on Smid who is clearly a much better player.

89. Racki says:

It’s as if someone flicked a light switch on with Paajarvi. He just figured out what he has to do in order to be successful in the NHL. Hopefully he remembers how to be successful for many years.

90. VanOil says:

TheOtherJohn,

I choose to view the Hall and Eberle contracts as fair value. Hall looks like he might be a significant underpay. Eberle a slight over pay. Giving the crazy inflation rate of the NHL cap and salaries and the young age of both players I don’t see your dooms day scenario.

Even based on Eberle’s performance this year nursing an injury an on a line that has a much poorer than expected SH%. I could see Eberle finishing the year close to or more than a 30 goal 82 game pace. That would make 2 years in a row over 30 goals. The guy just shipped out of Calgary was a consistent 30 goal scorer and was/is paid a lot more in a tighter cap environment. By no means am I saying Eberle is as good as Iggy all around. But goal scorers get paid, just as defensive defencemen don’t. As long as he averages 30 goals a year for the length of the contract Eberle is just fine. Given he will get to play with a 21 year old + Nuge this seems likely.

I could also see the Hall Cap like the Lindstrom Cap was in Detroit being great for the Oilers. Yak and Nuge could look like 8M dollar players if they continue to develop. Getting them for 6M could be a bargain.

So basically what I am saying is I am not worried about an Eberle floor. Because the Fancy Stat of goals scored is a trump card. I choose to view it as a Hall cap.

misfit,

That’s a great comp.

Never thought of that one, but its really good.

92. Schitzo says:

I think it’s important to remember the context of the Sather years, which was that a player didn’t get his first UFA payday until what, 31? As the prime earning years come earlier under the new CBA, something has to give at the back end, which might mean finding some bargains on guys who are on the wrong side of 30.

93. delooper says:

misfit,

Please no Dallas comparisons. I can’t say “Dallas” without spitting.

94. Ducey says:

justDOit:

Maybe he is watching the tape of last night’s game the Oilers sent him, with a note saying: “look at all the skilled forwards you can play with – and see, we really do need more defensemen.”

95. regwald says:

Woodguy:

RK actually said even more nice things about MPS right after he said the above.

Hit the link below and click on RK’s post game.MPS stuff starts at 4:24

Schitzo: I think it’s important to remember the context of the Sather years, which was that a player didn’t get his first UFA payday until what, 31?As the prime earning years come earlier under the new CBA, something has to give at the back end, which might mean finding some bargains on guys who are on the wrong side of 30.

That’s a good point.

delooper:
    misfit,

Please no Dallas comparisons.I can’t say “Dallas” without spitting.

Fuck Derian Hatcher and everyone who looks like him!

*spits*

98. delooper says:

regwald: You have to love Spector near the beginning of the interview asking about Gagner’s body language. Sheesh, can the mainstream media get any more cliche ?

Spector really wants to get the promotion to Dancing With The Stars judge.

Given Spector’s depth of hockey knowledge its probably best he sticks with body language questions.

100. TheOtherJohn says:

Vanoil

You are not doing the math. Eberle is on track for 24.8 goals over 82 game season this year. .Paying a 25 goal scorer $6m per is monumentally stupid. As stupid as paying Smyth $2.25m next year. Bad cap management. James Neal just got signed at $5m per contract and got 41 goals last year and is on pace for 42 goals over a82 game season this year; not 24.8 goals. Bigger body 23 year old and. power forward

Worst thing about this is the Cap is gonna really matter when RNH, Yak, JSch eligible for real $$. And this all ignores Sam Gagner who is likely going to end up our 6 best forward and will ask for $5+m because we already set the bar

Other than selecting in 1st round have not seen a single area of operating a hockey club that this group is anything but average or worse

101. justDOit says:

Ducey: Maybe he is watching the tape of last night’s game the Oilers sent him, with a note saying:“look at all the skilled forwards you can play with – and see, we really do need more defensemen.”

Good point. I hope he hasn’t seen this though:

102. Lucinius says:

TheOtherJohn,

Neal took a discount, however, remember. He could of easily asked for north of 6 million, but wanted to stay in Pittsburgh. His numbers are also partly due to who he plays with (Malkin, and at times Crosby).

Eberle is not quite worth 6 million yet. He may still end up as such given his age and length of the contract. More importantly, for the Oilers, was the Hall contract setting the internal cap on a player at 6 million.

This is the year you might want to give RNH his extension based off of, because its a down year you might be able to lock him up for only 5.5 or so. Granted, if the cap doesn’t go up after next year we’re screwed anyways, but so are most teams. If it does go up the Oilers will be in fine shape, cap-wise, because of the Hall contract.

103. Lucinius says:

justDOit,

Datsyuk is just… unfair. Its a pity he doesn’t have the sheer offensive skill of a Crosby, because if he did he’d be the best player since Lemieux or Gretzky.

104. jonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

I don’t watch/listen much to Spector, but last night he struck me as trying to come across as Don Cherry-lite.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RE: Spector.

the Brown 3rd star last night (i don’t know if spector had a hand in it… but someone of the same vintage did anyway) was particularly galling. Rishaug spending twitter energy and RK in the post-game talking about his “hard hit in the 1st” are all worrying signs.

don’t get me wrong, Brown has grown on me as a fairly clear upgrade on Hordi and Eager… but still ticks me off that the same people lauding this guy wouldn’t take a free coke from Hemsky, Magnus or Yakupov.

(to clarify, RK doesn’t really belong in this group, though to my eye, he overvalues Brown)

Romulus Apotheosis,

RK was asked about it and didn’t bring it up.

He looked slightly surprised that someone picked that spot as a turning point, but did the good thing and pumped his player’s tires.

107. TheOtherJohn says:

I like Eberle. He;s smart, creative, got excellent hands!! and makes good plays. Undersized, too.

Re: Neal took less money than he was worth so that he could play on a team that perennially competes for the SC. But in Edmonton it is absolutely imperative that we pay Jordan Eberle the very upper end of what he could possibly be worth. Coming off his 2nd year in the league where he scored with a very very high shooting %.

That is the argument?

Lets try this on for size: we pay our best player the most, next best player next most, etc AND everybody takes a little bit less than they want so we can, gasp, “perennially competes for the SC”. Hall did that. How’s that coming so far with Eberle at $6m? Not working already and we have only signed 2 of our 8-10 person core. Sure hope RNH, JSch & Yak’s agents aren’t dicks

And please do not compare Eberle with Igilna. That comment was similar to the person referring to Mike Bossy and Craig Simpson as prolific scorers in the 80′s. One is most decidedly not like the other

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

RK was asked about it and didn’t bring it up.

That’s completely fair. I tried to isolate him from the media he’s serving.

BUT: the question was about Brown using his time well… RK came up with the language of “game changer”… maybe that’s pumping tires, maybe it’s honest…

Still… that comment and the recent Fistric comment (which was hilariously up-ended when Fistric lost his man in the Nash game) are odd to the ear…

saying that though… his on-ice decision to sit Fistric after that blunder is maybe more telling than his hagiography to “hitting” of late.

Jordan Eberle is 62nd in league scoring…safely in 1st line scoring territory, and he’s having a “lousy” year, and only earning about $1 million something.

Most 1st line players are going to make $6 million dollars. per season. There really isn’t anything wrong with the new contract starting next season.

That Zach Parise guy is less than a PPG.

Eberle’s on track for 48, 15-20-35 .729; I had him pegged RE for 44, 14-18-32 .727. Jordan Eberle is where he should be–had some poor luck early and better luck since–and he’s fine.

He’s fine.

111. Bos8 says:

Eberle needs a bus driver. He punches the tickets.

Gagner needs two wingers that backcheck and carry the puck. Something about BJ and Gretzky.

He does kill penalties though – a new development.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bos8:
    Eberle needs a bus driver.He punches the tickets.

Gagner needs two wingers that backcheck and carry the puck.Something about BJ and Gretzky.

He does kill penalties though – a new development.

He’s played on the penalty kill. but i think that probably coincides with the Horcoff and Belanger injuries?

His 4vs5 numbers for players with more than a 1.5 TOI/60 lead the pack up front:

but i wonder if that is sample size induced.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dreger:

Still waiting for official word on Dan DeKeyzer’s decision, but teams involved in the process believe Detroit is the destination of choice.

114. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

BobMac says it’s so…

115. Gret99zky says:

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie2m
    Dan DeKeyser has chosen DET.

116. Gret99zky says:

sign Smid

117. Captain's Log says:

Regarding Eberle I don’t think it’s fair to compare his contract to Neal. James Neal took a discount and is an EXTREME value contract. You’re not going to get those very often if at all.

If Neal had gone to an open market he would have commanded 6+ and probably wouldn’t be seeing the success he currently has in Pittsburgh. I know he doesn’t play with Crosby very often but Malkin is a pretty damn good centreman and half of his goals come on the PP where I’m sure he lines up with Crosby.

We could just as easily compare Eberle’s contract to some of the bloated salaries out there – Brad Richards, Vinny Lecavalier, Zach Parise, etc. Alex Semin is great this year but is he going to give full value on his $7M contract? What about Perry and Getzlaf in Anaheim? Both great players but have had down years recently. Is Anaheim going to get full value on their contracts?

If Eberle is a consistent 30G+ and 70P guy then he is definitely worth the money. I don’t think that’s too far out of the realm of possibility.

118. TheOtherJohn says:

Captain’s Log:
    Regarding Eberle I don’t think it’s fair to compare his contract to Neal.James Neal took a discount and is an EXTREME value contract.You’re not going to get those very often if at all.

If Neal had gone to an open market he would have commanded 6+ and probably wouldn’t be seeing the success he currently has in Pittsburgh.I know he doesn’t play with Crosby very often but Malkin is a pretty damn good centreman and half of his goals come on the PP where I’m sure he lines up with Crosby.

We could just as easily compare Eberle’s contract to some of the bloated salaries out there – Brad Richards, Vinny Lecavalier, Zach Parise, etc.Alex Semin is great this year but is he going to give full value on his $7M contract?What about Perry and Getzlaf in Anaheim?Both great players but have had down years recently.Is Anaheim going to get full value on their contracts?

If Eberle is a consistent 30G+ and 70P guy then he is definitely worth the money.I don’t think that’s too far out of the realm of possibility.

CO

Not sure Eberle is a better player than James Neal. Neal took discount to play on a winner but the Oilers paid Eberle the same as Hall & $1m more than Neal to play on a loser??? Don’t think Eberle was eligible to go to the open market.

Is your idea to identify bad contracts? Richards current contract, agreed. Lecavalier, agreed. Parise? current contract….agreed. Was that the exercise? Getzlaf/Perry…bad contracts in that they doom their team to shitty role players because of a lack of $$

Parise signed a 4 year $12.5 m contract for 2007-2011. At that time he was 23 years old and scored 146 goals over the course of that contract. You are comparing Parise’s 29 year old current contract to Eberle’s 23 year old contract. Already said I like Eberle but have to admit I like Parise more and at that price I like Parise WAY WAY more

119. spoiler says: