OILERS AT AVALANCHE G26 (12-13) 12.3.13

“Watch out for that last step, she’s a lu-lu!” I wonder if Daryl Katz knew what he was getting into when uttering the famous “rebuild” word that cold, dark winter day in January 2010.

expos

The underdog is always something I can get behind. I enjoy the team building as much as watching the championships. As a fan, there’s not much worthwhile you can invest in a team aside from time and the devotion, and for that, hopefully, you are rewarded with a trip to the top of the mountain. I am spoiled as a hockey fan, having watched my beloved Oilers win 5 and my original favorite team (Boston) win it thrice.

But I know pain. 2006 G7 SCF, or game 1 for that matter. Rick Monday on a cold October day in Montreal “he’ll touch ‘em all” and Jim Fanning’s John Wayne pose as the 80s fell away from the wonderful Montreal Expos. The ’79 Expos won 95, with 5 guys who drove in 73 or more; ’80 Expos won 90 games and the ’81 bunch won their division and came with a hair of going to the WS.

Blue Monday. Pain.

blue monday

As a fan–or an owner–you only get so many sorties before Jeff Loria trades your team for swamp land, or Murray Cook turns your infield from Perez, Scott, Speier and Parrish into Driessen, Flynn, Speir and Wallach (that’s a massive downward spiral).

This season reminds me of the Montreal Expos when Jim Fanning was the manager. They went from Tony Perez to Al Oliver to Dan Driessen so quickly it would make your head spin, and the result was devastating. Sure, the Expos still had Carter and Dawson and Raines and Rogers and and and, but for every impact player there was Doug Flynn or Dan Driessen to GIDP or strike ‘em out throw ‘em out. It was horrible.

Dan Driessen and Doug Flynn are represented on the current Edmonton Oilers, and one hopes management figures out how to bring in competent role players to keep things at do until the Chance Machine returns to the ice. Everyone knows what the problem is, because the Oilers have been using binder twine and rusty nails to fill the holes since 2006 summer. They need Dap, not the generic  type.

The Corsi really shows how wide the gap is getting between the kids–who are getting it now, not just Hall–and the Petrell’s and Eager’s. If you look around the NHL, to names like Kyle Brodziak and Andrew Cogliano and Jarret Stoll, maybe the Oilers are better off staying the course.

With that as the backdrop, the rumors we’re hearing about adding size to the skill lines doesn’t bode well for names like Paajarvi and Hartikainen. Mistake to trade them? They’re progressing, especially Paajarvi.

corsimar12

As for names of possible acquisitions, we’re starting to see specifics filter in:

rosscreek

Stewart has skill and he’s a big, tough winger. His Corsi is not good this season, ranking 14/15 among forwards who have played more than 5 games. He’s posting good offense at 5×5 though, his 2.69/60 ranks him second on the team and is a good number league wide. Two things: why is he in play? The Blues are a team expected to go deep, why would they want to offload him? Is that Corsi true?

And what would they want in return? Dreger suggested a “Stewart for Kulemin+” trade which suggests the Blues might be looking for more of a 2-way type with good speed.

Hitchcock would love to add Hemsky to that group of PF’s I’m sure. If St. Louis acquired Hemmer, I think you’d have to give them an elevated chance of getting out of the west.

432 Responses to "OILERS AT AVALANCHE G26 (12-13) 12.3.13"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

icecastles:
    “But I can tell you again, we’ll be aggressive at the dress… at the dress… at the trade deadline.”

Now that is a terrible liar.

In fairness, I think most men have been aggressive at the dress a time or two.

2. BlacqueJacque says:

LT, hats off. Good eyes on that MPS assist.

3. Southern Oil says:

I don’t know if anyone is watching the Avs feed but I had a good laugh during the intermission. They literally showed Landeskog falling 3 times, convincing everyone that it was not his fault as he hit a rut. They also guaranteed that the Avs would come back and win. This is one game in a long time that I really want to win and win big!

4. OilClog says:

The Avs broadcast crew is horrendous, embarrassing. Just happy it’s not John Garrett

5. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

I was kidding. I don’t think he was really lying. I do think he’s an amazingly unintelligent man.

BlacqueJacque:
    LT, hats off.Good eyes on that MPS assist.

Blind squirrel, nut.

7. Bar_Qu says:

Lucinius,

Or he’s simply a terrible public speaker.

8. icecastles says:

Lowetide: In fairness, I think most men have been aggressive at the dress a time or two.

I like to think he was mixing up his words in a non-Freudian slip-ian kind of way, but it sure as hell sounded like he was having trouble not saying “draft” when I think about it.

9. tcho says:

91 – great shift.

10. Lucinius says:

Bar_Qu,

Quite possible. There is a lot of overlap. Its why the “science of lying” and such is often full of bullshit. Innocent people questioned by the police, for example, tend to exhibit the so-called “guilty” signs, whereas those who are guilty tend to be calmer and more relaxed as they tend to be more at ease in that environment.

Its all a matter of circumstances, background, and quite simply.. guesswork.

11. icecastles says:

Mike Brown > every Oilers “enforcer” in the last five years.

12. Bar_Qu says:

Lowetide: Blind squirrel, nut.

There was a kid in my class that was constantly correcting me for stuff that he was manifestly wrong about (ie a baker’s dozen was only 12, not 13, that kind of thing). Then one day he corrects me and it is actually right (I think it took him until April, for crying out loud). I told him “well even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again” and from that point on he was ‘blind squirrel’ in my classroom. I’m unlikely to ever think of anything else in association with that particular idiom, ever again.

Please, feel free to resume your germane analysis of the game.

13. Lucinius says:

icecastles,

Yeah, I’m not minding Brown at all as a 4th line tough guy type. He’s got some ability to actually play the game, seems able to fight.. and actually knows when not to fight.

14. OilClog says:

More Brown Bell!

15. hunter1909 says:

This game is wonderful.

Brown was good, because first he causes trouble then draws a penalty. And he can fight like Wendel Clark.

16. "Steve Smith" says:

Blind squirrel > every Oilers “enforcer” in the last five years

17. BlacqueJacque says:

icecastles:
    Mike Brown > every Oilers “enforcer” in the last five years.

Eager is totally expendable.

I don’t notice what makes Mike Brown good, but more importantly, I don’t notice what makes him bad.

18. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque: I don’t notice what makes Mike Brown good,

There’s a good reason for that.

19. BlacqueJacque says:

Sign Smid, Steve.

I don’t think Eager was ever healthy here, but I KNOW he was never good.

21. Bar_Qu says:

Lucinius:
    Bar_Qu,

Its all a matter of circumstances, background, and quite simply.. guesswork.

I tell every 14 yr old female student all the tell-tale signs of lying, based on the pseudo-scientific stuff which gets referenced here, then tell them if they ever date a boy who exhibits any of them when answering a simple question “what were you doing last night?” to kick them to the curb.

I figure it is good advice regardless of the nebulous nature of the evidence, because likely any girl under 20 dating any boy is connected with an inveterate liar who will say or do anything to reach his objective. Making them inherently dangerous and necessary to avoid.

Sorry for the non-relevant nature of my comments tonight. I am proctoring (?) a college entrance exam for a former student and have no access to watch the game.

22. Lucinius says:

Smid!

if only he could score as well as he blocks shots. We’d have the best defenseman since Orr.

23. bookje says:

Re- Howson, like Bar Que, I was remembering a few people who recently said they eould like to see him back as a scout or similar role.

In other news Horcov the Liar seems to be an important player on the team.

24. VanOil says:

I don’t think Eager was ever healthy here, but I KNOW he was never good.

I hope he leaves before he costs us a playoff game, which is why his last 2 employers let him go.

25. OilClog says:

Yeah Schultz potter is a train wreck.. Teddy or Fistric need to be in this game.

26. icecastles says:

Lucinius: Its all a matter of circumstances, background, and quite simply.. guesswork.

Having been trained (by Douk Trowel Associates – the same firm CSIS and the RCMP use to train their investigators) in body language and “advanced questioning technique” (and having spent plenty of time applying it), I can assure you there is considerably more than guesswork involved. With training, it is indeed something of a science and less of a guesswork art than many people would believe. The problem is much like the one faced by every undergrad student who takes a first-year psychology course and proceeds to diagnose every member of their family (or themselves) with one illness or another: the average person sees a simplified “rubs his neck when he’s lying” kind of assessment and thinks they know what they’re doing.

Lots of people have no training and look stupid trying to apply the “rules”. Those same people watch pro athletes and think “I bet I can do that”. Lots of other people look at the first group’s failure and assume the field must all be hogwash. Those same people watch pro atheletes and think “it’s mostly luck.”

27. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t think Eager was ever healthy here, but I KNOW he was never good.

I think that’s the saddest part of the whole Eager saga here. Yet another black mark on the Oilers and treating injured players – undeserved or otherwise (personally, I’ve always been a bit open-minded on the Souray thing. The Hall/Nuge/Hemsky shoulder situations don’t help.)

28. "Steve Smith" says:

icecastles,

DePaulo and Pfeifer say hi.

29. FPB94 says:

Sam Gagner just keeps on rolling; not a bad chemistry there with Paajarvi, he’s pushing the puck and helping him.

Whitney seems to have found back his touch.

Magnus Paajarvi is a beauty.

31. tcho says:

Paajarkupov!

32. BlacqueJacque says:

MAGNUS! Out of the air from his own rebound. One hell of a checking winger on the third line.

33. icecastles says:

Ultramagnus Paajarvi.
    Man, I have to figure out how to get my avatar picture back. :(

34. Lucinius says:

PAAJARVI!

35. Rebilled says:

Shazam!

36. Scotty LaDouche says:

MAGNUS

37. wordbird says:

DON’T FUCKING TRADE HIM!!

38. unca miltie says:

Magnus Paajarvi is a beauty.

YES, i shout

39. Genjutsu says:

MAGGYY!!!!!!

40. OilClog says:

Wow!!!!!

41. Smarmy says:

Mags scoring like a pro.

42. hunter1909 says:

This is a mirror image game from the days when Sakic and Forsberg would strangle the Oilers all night long.

3-0 MPS.

43. "Steve Smith" says:

Scotty LaDouche,

“Scott” had better be your real name, or you have no excuse for not going by “Lyndon”.

44. striatic says:

that was sublime.

learning some tricks from Yakupov?

45. VanOil says:

Paajarvi goes “Yak if your going to steal my thing and carry the puck up the ice, I’m going to do your thing, tell that to the wizard”

46. Smarmy says:

Now I want a one timer from Tsar Bomba.

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Who are these guys? These frauds, these impostors, these people in Oilers uniforms?

And man, do I like these refs. #24 Walkom, #29 Walsh.

48. Genjutsu says:

Am I the only one who sees him as a top 6 guy?

49. FPB94 says:

Riley Nash is 3-3-6 in 11 games in Carolina. Lawlz

Send that man to the AHL!

Trade him for a shitty Dman!!

51. icecastles says:

I’m just glad nobody on here calls him Condom anymore.

Ultramagnus it is. (and seriously: how to I get an avatar image on here? Haven’t had one since Lowetide 1.0)

52. Lucinius says:

Its fun listening to Smid during a game. He’s gotten a lot more… expressive with every year.

53. "Steve Smith" says:

If Varlamov gets pulled for Giguere, Smyth can earn his entire lousy contract in one night if he can make him go totally apeshit again.

54. delooper says:

Man, Smid is soooooo awesome.

55. striatic says:

Hall was extremely close to a goal on that rush.

56. SK Oiler Fan says:

Man, if 91 can bring confidence like that consistently, He can be a fixture in the top 9,and can play up and dow the lineup. That’s a valuable player

57. OilClog says:

Screw Riley Nash

58. spoiler says:

Smid showcasing himself.

59. hunter1909 says:

Hall prefers to skate clear across the offensive zone to flatten someone rather than score.

Love it.

Thank you, Todd Nelson.

61. Suntory Hanzo says:

Jones with a goal…oh wait..

62. FPB94 says:

icecastles,

Don’t trashtalk my nickname. (That I gave to Magnus, only because UltraMagnus sounded like a Trojan product)

63. tcho says:

Woodguy:
    Send that man to the AHL!

Trade him for a shitty Dman!!

Hire this man for the Oilers managerial team! He’ll fit right in.

64. icecastles says:

"Steve Smith": Also, when was the last time you hear somebody suggest success as a pro athlete was “mostly luck”? I think you’re struggling for a parallel there.

My point isn’t that people necessarily say success is mostly luck (though I have heard watered down versions of the argument from some dimmer bulbs) . My point is that saying it would be equally defensible (not very).

Though in fairness, how many times have you seen a player or a team find success and their detractors respond with “he got lucky”? Plenty. Though yes, I recognize that particular kind of instance is generally as much sour grapes as it is rational assessment.

65. hunter1909 says:

Looking like a moral victory for the Avs and their fans tonight.

66. OilLeak says:

icecastles:
    I’m just glad nobody on here calls him Condom anymore.

Ultramagnus it is.(and seriously: how to I get an avatar image on here? Haven’t had one since Lowetide 1.0)

I believe you have to create a Gravtar account with the same email as your log in for this site. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

67. VanOil says:

Anyone missing Belanger? Do you think Paajarvi is?

68. icecastles says:

FPB94: Don’t trashtalk my nickname

It was a great nickname. I was just sad nobody got my cool Transformers reference. I thought I was finally going to be one of the cool kids.

69. FPB94 says:

How much money for Gagner? 7? 8 Millions?

70. FPB94 says:

icecastles,

You gotta meet Steve Smith at midnight in a dark alley for that.

71. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh Whitney, that’s not the penalty to take.

Predictably, opposing coaches match fast lines against him. =/

72. Rebilled says:

One a game
    , same area, same penalty. #6.

73. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

To be fair, by my eye.. Whitney has looked better, defensively, this game and last.

Edit: I should add, however, that he did have a pretty low bar to be better defensively..

74. bookje says:

Just a reminder, the Oilers managers never did send Paajaarvi down after picking up Brown, it was just supposition that they were going to do that.

Many people confuse things that they anticipate happening with reality.

75. BlacqueJacque says:

God damn I hate modern goalies, goaltending equipment, and style.

Giant guy, big pads, assume position. Equipment absorbs rebound/deflects into corners automatically. Reposition. Assume position. Legs wide at the knee, arms low and covering all the high-percentage areas. Block shot, dive on rebound. Face-off. Assume mobile position.

!$!@#$

76. hunter1909 says:

I’m sold on Dubnyk.

77. VanOil says:

FPB94:
    How much money for Gagner? 7? 8 Millions?

Unlucky Dithers did not have an opportunity to sign him before he had a break out year. Everyone knows a second line center taller than 6 feet is better than one that can score.

78. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909:
    I’m sold on Dubnyk.

He’s a robot. The ultimate Giguere.

79. bookje says:

3-0 Oilers after beating Chicago at home.

Special Deal —- Get your Steve Tambellini Fan Club Pins QUICK – Get them now while they are hot.

Seriously – I have boxes and boxes of these things, please buy them.

80. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje:

Many people confuse things that they anticipate happening with reality.

I knew you’d say that.

But did you say it?

81. Lucinius says:

I’m still not sold on Gagner. Sure, he’s got offense. His defensive game is what worries me. Especially since the Oilers seem unable to shelter their second line center at all unlike a lot of other teams manage.

82. hunter1909 says:

I don’t respect any of the western teams much, so if Oilers can start their second half season with a 2-0-0 record all on the road, that’s good koolaid.

83. hunter1909 says:

This season is hilarious with one team emerging then flopping…remember the Canucks and Sharks?

I think the right strategy/solution with Gagner is to offer him a lot of money, but only for two years. I wonder if he would be willing to go short term.

85. Genjutsu says:

Key questions coming into this season:

Can Gags add efective secondary scoring?

Can dubee be a number one goalie?

Can the kids be a real NHL front line?

86. icecastles says:

FPB94,

He’s one of the guys on here I’d most like to meet in person. Though I’d worry about being shredded by his razor wit.

87. hunter1909 says:

Lucinius: ’m still not sold on Gagner. Sure, he’s got offense. His defensive game is what worries me. Especially since the Oilers seem unable to shelter their second line center at all unlike a lot of other teams manage.

Gagner’s playing lights out and will continue to do so until some crazy GM without any offence on his shitty team brings Sam in at top dollar.

Gagner’s why you want them to bring back the reserve clause, because you damn well know he’s not quite good enough to star on your cap strapped budget, yet fantastic and you don’t ever want him to leave either.

88. "Steve Smith" says:

Genjutsu,

“Are we actually going to run that defence out against NHL teams?”

89. Genjutsu says:

“Steve Smith”,

Can we get Jones or Nate or Sacha?

90. FPB94 says:

icecastles,

Haha nice. Actually i’l be working for the YMCA student exchange program this year, so I might get a chance to stay in Edmonton for a week or so at the end of the summer. Just around time TC starts up. (Even tough i believe SS resides in the East)

91. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk’s one of the Martian Monster Men from that 1950′s sci-fi classic, Invaders From Mars.

92. hunter1909 says:

Everyone would look like an absolute idiot, if the Oilers manage to turn this season around.

Except “Steve Smith”; who has no such worries.

PS Steve: That Horcoff promise contingent on 8th place and playoffs, since it’s a team game. He looks decent the last couple of games, but it’s 8th place or better to stop the torrent of well thought out abuse.

93. gcw_rocks says:

In other news, Travis Yost posts his score adjusted Fenwick standings. Oilers in 29th!

I know, I know. Eklund blows, but Yost is pretty damn good.

94. Genjutsu says:

What’s the line on Gag’s setting a career high for points this year?

95. BlacqueJacque says:

Craig Button is crazy. He thinks 2 games for the Perry hit. Perry’s already been suspended for the same kind of crap.

96. FPB94 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Second that. He blows in all facets. Mike Milbury and such.

97. Southern Oil says:

Genjutsu:
    What’s the line on Gag’s setting a career high for points this year?

Thank god we didn’t sign him to a multi year deal last summer.

98. icecastles says:

FPB94,

Then we should get together for a drink when you’re here! I’ve never met any of the Lowetide regulars in person. Sometimes suspect its’ just two or three guys arguing with themselves.

(the rest of the time, I suspect it’s actually only one guy)

99. mattwatt says:

Difference between Jones and MPS is on the big-screen tonight.

On Jones 3 on 1 rush that was saved, he was cheating for offense on a breakout play just prior to to odd man rush. Him being ahead of the play resulted in a turnover and a good chance for the Avs. MPS on the other hand stays with the play, beats a defender straight up and scores a goal that involves a nice level of skill.

Yet one has nice hair so many an Oiler fan likes him more. Don’t get it, never will.

100. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

You know, Hunter, for all of the people I rub the wrong way around here, and for all I tend to dismiss you as a fundamentally clownish figure, you’ve become by far my most incisive critic.

(That’s a compliment. Seriously, that’s what I sound like when I give compliments.)

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH

Chances after 40: 17-11; 1-2 ST

102. dessert1111 says:

I know people tend to over-focus on the fourth line, but Smyth > Belanger as 4C. Belanger wins a few more faceoffs, but I like the look of the team better without him. If Hartikainen slots in for Jones and Jones for Petrell, this forward lineup isn’t that bad.

103. 42 percent body fat says:

Lucinius,

Gagner has been on the ice for more pk goals for us than pp goals scored against us. His defense will come. It has on the pk already.

Are you sold on eberle yet? His defense is terrible. He makes too much money next year and luck has dried up. Eberle is still going to be awesome but what a dumb contract. Gagner is just a whipping boy for haters. Why you not picking on Eberle, why not Nuge (who seems to never at any level produced 5×5).

To who ever coined “Tsar Bomba” for yakupov, I love this. Can I use this and try to spread it?

104. Lucinius says:

42 percent body fat,

My comment was more directed at the coaching than anything else. Gagner has way too many defensive issues 5×5, especially on the back-check, but part of that is he gets put/stuck out there with a bad match-up, imo, given the options.

Of course, Horcoff being out made him look even worse.

105. icecastles says:

OilLeak,

Thanks, OilLeak!! i missed this fellow.

106. BlacqueJacque says:

Sloppy play leading to a goal that got waived off! Bad call by these refs that works out for us. Tamblowe must have paid their Bettman taxes or something…

107. 42 percent body fat says:

Lucinius,

His last 5 games have been really good defensively.

108. Lucinius says:

Wow.. lucky. But it looked like Avs got away with a trip right before that.

I’d be incensed if that was an Oiler goal called back for that.

110. hunter1909 says:

Heartbreak of no goal – I swear, this is like a 2001 MacT coached game in reverse, with the Oilers as the bad guys lol.

111. FPB94 says:

2. Hamilton
    3. Couturier
    4. RNH
    5. Zibanejad

Give or take a shoulder

114. icecastles says:

Some crazy quick whistles in this game.

Wow I’m glad I’m not a Colorado fan tonight. I’m as calm level-headed a guy as you’ll meet (got attacked and punched in the jaw today and just held the guy away and told him it was probably a bad idea), but I’d be spitting mad at this point if I were cheering for the Avalanche.

115. Lucinius says:

Avs really out-working our powerplay, sadly.

116. OilLeak says:

Awesome avatar.

117. Lucinius says:

icecastles,

Man.. I’m a calm, level-headed guy. But if anyone hits me I’m very quick to put them in the hospital, but I like that sort of thing.. works for me as a bouncer, though.

118. icecastles says:

I just scared my cat out of her chair I cheered so loud.
    Worth it.

119. BlacqueJacque says:

NUGE! Good work by … Hall to help Hemsky along the wall.

Nuge! And Horcoff is a witch. The nose should have clued me in.

121. Lucinius says:

RNH!!!!

Slump breaker!

122. tcho says:

14 really sucks at puck retrieval/corner work. I hope he can get better at it (93 can, and lord knows he’s no giant), but I wonder how ou work around it in the meantime…

123. Bar_Qu says:

icecastles,

And I too am happy to see the return of the avatar.

Yay 93!

124. VanOil says:

Was that Oilers first PP shot?

FPB94,

Thank you, too.

126. OilClog says:

Nuge!

127. Lucinius says:

Also, fantastic work there by the lazy, soft Euro to make that goal possible.

128. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk’s like a boa constrictor when he’s on his game like tonight.

129. Genjutsu says:

Its crazy how much better this team is with three actual top 9 C’s!

Who knew?

130. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

You grow past it eventually. Plus, it’s easier to have charges laid when there’s no defense of “concentual fight.” The payback is MUCH better when his criminal record means he can’t take any holidays to the USA.

I play the long game. It’s much nastier.

Bar_Qu: I’m guessing your day to day is a little more interesting than the average bear. Wow.

Perhaps. But today was a really bizarre day. That was completely out of left field. Usually I just climb mountains for adventure.

131. OilClog says:

At this point I’d rather see Brown on the 2nd line protecting Ebs and Nuge over Jones not giving a shit about anything at all.. It’s all good dude, let’s go surf at the beach, I won’t check ya.. The waves will.. Yeaaa

132. VanOil says:

tcho:

Don’t look now but Nuge grew an inch last year, maybe thats what happens when you hang out with wizards, giants are possible.

133. Suntory Hanzo says:

4-0. the most dangerous lead in hockey?

134. tcho says:

Shots are basically even, but the Oil have outplayed them to my eye.

135. Lucinius says:

icecastles,

Eh, I’m 30. I’ll never get past it; since I actually ‘enjoy’ such altercations.

136. BlacqueJacque says:

Can someone explain to 29-year-old, 6’3, 210lb Corey Potter that he’s a bigger man than 20 year old, 6′ 200lb Gabriel Landeskog?

Heh, Nuge muscles Duchene off the puck with ease.

137. OilClog says:

Why did potter back off?!? If that was teddy!

138. icecastles says:

hunter1909: Dubnyk’s like a boa constrictor when he’s on his game like tonight.

And it’s the year of the snake. Coincidence?
    (yes but it’s still cool)

139. hunter1909 says:

Eberle looked like he was riding sidesaddle the way he fell when checked.

140. Lucinius says:

OilClog,

He’s backed off a number of times tonight. I think he’s playing cautious for some reason.

141. Rebilled says:

Smid: Visor Instigator.

142. hunter1909 says:

Now that he’s almost as good as gone, I’m going to watch Smid more. He’s really a good hockey player, lol.

143. BlacqueJacque says:

Huh. Hall-Horc-Brown. Protection for Hall? Hejda dumped Hall and got a chestful of Brown in return.

83 ate the glass to keep the play alive on RNH’s goal and hasn’t been back.

13 in his spot.

145. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

This team is cursed :(

146. hunter1909 says:

I’d like a 4th quarter added onto this game.

147. Genjutsu says:

Woodguy,

Ah that’s how we get the tank train rolling.

148. hunter1909 says:

I like Brown’s truculence.

149. unca miltie says:

hunter1909:

I like him too. Heard John Shannon say today that he like Boychuck better. I liked Boychuck as a junior. not so much now

150. Smarmy says:

Hells bells Blades tie it up on the Oil Kings. Go Blades Go!

151. sliderule says:

With all the home games this team will make a run.

Win six or seven in a row you could be in first.

152. VanOil says:

Yak has been way better by my eye than his box scores suggest tonight. That line in general works.

153. Lucinius says:

Smid showing Yakupov why hard passes aren’t always great.

154. icecastles says:

Did Eberle just get the puck and pass it to an Ave?

155. BlacqueJacque says:

Good job Eberle, clear that puck right to a spot about 10 feet in front of the net.

156. icecastles says:

sliderule: Win six or seven in a row you could be in first.

Assuming all the other teams stop playing, yes they could. But other teams are going to keep collecting points as well. And we have to pass five of them. And six or seven in a row is a pretty tall order for any team. I’m optimistic, but not that optimistic yet.

157. FPB94 says:

Seems like people have short memory: turning on Eberle fast. Highly paid, so is one of the guys who’s been defended the most on what he did instead of what he’s been doing recently.

158. Lucinius says:

One thing I’ve noticed in the last half dozen or so games from Paajarvi; he’s slightly slower, but his skating is more controlled, allowing him to actually use his body and stick more, both defensively and offensively.

159. icecastles says:

I don’t understand… this is a divisional game. And they’re winning it. Decisively.

160. BlacqueJacque says:

If we win this, we open up a 3 point lead on the Flamers (currently last in the conference and third-last in the league) and moving us into a tie for 12th (with us having a game in hand.)

We have a ton of home games ahead. A big chunk of the toughest teams on the schedule is gone.

161. VanOil says:

For those of you tired of the Sofia Vergara Pepsi commercial on heavy rotation on the Avs feed. Try this version http://youtu.be/3tm8RNFMatA

162. hunter1909 says:

Colorado needs to bring Don Cherry back.

163. BlacqueJacque says:

Hohoho Yakupov doing some great work on the forecheck.

Wilson snaps and starts Sedin-slapping Paajarvi.

164. hunter1909 says:

FPB94,

I’m Eberle’s number 1 fan. He’s sensational.

165. BlacqueJacque says:

Aaaah… too many passes. Stop doing that Schultz. You were 5 feet from the gravy spot and you pass it?!

166. Lucinius says:

Too cute on the powerplay again.

For once its with a sizable lead, though..

167. Lucinius says:

Well earned shut out for Dubnyk.

That was a pretty cool greeting by Yakupov for Dubnyk. Nice game, nice way to end the trip.

169. tcho says:

I heart Horcoff.

170. dessert1111 says:

I’m not betting on it, but almost twice their remaining games at home where they play much better, so the playoffs are still within reach. Barely, though.

171. tcho says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Aaaah… too many passes.Stop doing that Schultz.You were 5 feet from the gravy spot and you pass it?!

Agreed. Beautiful play by 4 to set it up, and then 19 passes up taking a shot from the slot with traffic in front.

172. icecastles says:

The Edmonton Oilers… also known as Schrodinger’s Cat. They might be alive, they might be dead. The only thing you know is that, no matter how many times you repeat the experiment, you don’t know which it is until you see them that night.

173. Rebilled says:

Great game. To celebrate, I’m going to tow my girlfriends Ford truck somewhere with my exact same Ford truck and go splash in some puddles.

174. Numenius says:

icecastles:

This.

175. Henry says:

Nice game by a lot of guys. Loved Petry tonight and Mike Brown may have terrible underlying numbers, but he was effective tonight.

But I hope MPS remembers forever how good it feels to overpower a defense and score like that. That highlight is going to live for a while.

176. Genjutsu says:

If anyone told me at the begining of the season we would be 3 points out of 8th and 5 out of the division lead at the 26 game mark, I would say that’s not too bad.

177. gcw_rocks says:

FPB94,

Huberdeau was my preference at the time. Sigh. Still, hoping Nuge come back to prove me wrong.

178. icecastles says:

Genjutsu,

That’s a damn fine way of looking at it. Damn fine.

179. FPB94 says:

Kassian for Hodgson might be one of the most lopsided trades of all time it looks like. So much for truculence.

180. BlacqueJacque says:

icecastles:

Brilliant.

181. Smarmy says:

At least this Oil Kings game is shaving down the the ice from the Brier. Blades feeds makes it sound like a disaster.

182. Smarmy says:

Blades win!

183. BlacqueJacque says:

Smarmy:

They’ve got until Friday.

I’m not really much of an arena supporter, but one nice thing about the arena + Northlands is that the Brier, the Tournament of Hearts, CFR, and every other event should no longer send us on two week vacations.

184. VanOil says:

Current odds of making the playoffs 13.1%, bleak but less bleak than before. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

185. icecastles says:

Pittsburgh with 100 goals on the season already as of tonight. Wowzers.

Edit: By comparison, Edmonton has 64. No other team even has 90 and only three are over 80.

186. Captain Happy says:

FPB94:

Vancouver 30 PTS.

Buffalo 23 PTS.

Buffalo playing big bucks to Ehrhoff and, soon Hodgson.

End of the world.

187. Genjutsu says:

icecastles,

Well they do have the two best C’s in the game.

188. Amadeus says:

I wish we had Kyle Wellwood.

20 GP – 5 points

He’s killing it right now. Way better than Gagner.

189. RickDeckard says:

icecastles,

Good thing they pay that sieve $5M to stand near the net. They have 15 more goals than the Hawks but their GD is 5 less. If they didn’t that wouldn’t be fair to the rest of the league.

190. asiaoil says:

VanOil:

I don’t think they can make it – and mgmt doing nothing while Horcoff was injured is the main reason – but if they get some help at the deadline and are still hanging around after that final west coast road trip it could get interesting. Good games by Dubie and MPS – me happy

191. Schitzo says:

Hemsky ok? He didn’t get a shift after the PP goal.

192. FastOil says:

Genjutsu:
    icecastles,

Well they do have the two best C’s in the game.

Centers don’t matter that much it’s all on the wing my friend – see Oilers. Horcoff didn’t earn his pay, again! Whitney has a good game and it’s all fine. It’s all about “offensive” D and intangibles ;)

Western Conference Standings via points percentage

NASHVILLE 0.538
    EDMONTON 0.481
    COLUMBUS 0.463
    COLORADO 0.480
    CALGARY 0.458

Schitzo:
    Hemsky ok?He didn’t get a shift after the PP goal.

He was feeling the flu and RK let him rest after it got to 4-0

RickDeckard:
    icecastles,

Most over rated goalie in hockey.

Has beaten his back up’s SV% 2 years out of the last 5.

TSN/Sportsnet people mention him for Sochi and I just don’t get it.

He’s not even league average.

Being a high draft pick and winning a cup means no one in the media every actually looks at your results.

HIGH DRAFT PICK!!

CUP WINNER!!!

I expect him on the Oilers soon.

Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC
    We need to see how rest of season plays out, but so far #Coyotes rehabilitated Raffi Torres: 18 gms, 5 goals, 8 pts, 9 pims.

Nice to see Raffi get his shit together.

197. Oilanderp says:

An interesting tidbit that I didn’t know, and which also has little to do with this thread :)

198. FastOil says:

WoodGuy – I see your gambit – resign Khabi so they can’t trade for Fleury. Brill!

199. Kitchener says:

In 2 days we’ve gone from “sell/fire everyone” to “3 points out of a playoff spot with 20 games to go.”

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

This team has holes, yes, but it’s a good thing this forum doesn’t run the team. I love you all but thank Krishna hourly they hired Howson instead of LT’s WordPress user list.

Some positives:
    – Horcoff haters are speechless
    – 91-64 look like great linemates.
    – if Brown keeps it up, he wins the 4-line “energy spot”
    – separated Schulzs = better D group
    – Whitney’s stock rising prior to deadline sale

Some concerns:
    – When does Laddy sign?
    – Oilogosphere still hasn’t agreed that a 6th overall center with determination & hands & vision & character who is totally succeeding is a good story that’s worth a real contract. Sign 89.

A juicy question:
    – Which U.S. teams that suck this year have assets we want? (Possible answers: Washington’s D; CBJ’s Murray, Johansen; TB’s Hedman; Philly’s Schenn Bros or Couturier; etc.) IF we’re going to deal Whitney/Smid/Hemsky/Omark/picks/etc., how would we poach assets from non-hockey markets who need to “win now” to sell tickets? Speculation from the crowd?

200. bookje says:

Watched the game on the pvr and noticed prv continues to play well. Whitney’s play has come up a notch. He is still a defensive liability, but in looking back a few years at his Vollman charts, he has always been a bit soft defensively and has contributed offensively to make up for it. In no way is he back to his old 100% (leagues away), but his new 100% is looking a bit better than it did a month ago. Hopefully this helps the team get a few wins and a return on him at the deadline.

I hope the Horcoff haters are absorbing some of this. I was reading comments in the Edmonton Journal (self torture?) and clearly at that level they do not.

Anyway, things always look a little better when they win a few.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »