OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS G25 (12-13) 10.3.13

First time I saw Horcoff, he made a beautiful play in pre-season, tying up an opposition forward flying through the slot as the puck whipped past. Horcoff held his mark through the slot and out of the sequence, one sortie well defended. That was fall 2000.

Since that day, Shawn Horcoff has skated in over 800 games for the Oilers (regular and post-season) and mentored miles and miles of wingers. Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle spent their first season with him, Nail Yakupov will likely get plenty of time with the captain in these last 24 games and Drouin or Mantha could end up playing with Horcoff next year.

I don’t think he’ll be captain next year, in fact I wrote about it being possible a summer ago.

Horcoff gives the team a badly needed option at center, and puts Smyth back at his natural position. I don’t think the Oilers win today, but they should be a lot more competitive. I hope Horc can grip his stick, the Mike York memories remain.

Oilers moved Brandon Davidson up from Stockton to OKC for today’s game, this kid is such an incredible story.

Kevin Lowe was in OKC last night, looking at the talent on the farm. He would have seen Toni Rajala and Taylor Fedun good among prospects, but I think they are probably looking at Brett Clark who has been outstanding since coming to OKC.

Speaking of Lowe, we’re coming up on 10th anniversary of the “Perry and a 1st” for Comrie deal that got shived because the Oilers wanted $2.5M from Comrie. Should we have some kind of event to mark the anniversary? Perhaps we meet at the Gretzky statue and play “Taps”? We have time, let’s mull it over.

march 10

Oilers found the range at their exact mid-point of the season, which is impressive. The key is to leave it alone–someone hurt? STOP, DROP AND ROLL!–and the Oilers are experts. A well timed pickup of a veteran center and a useful defenseman might be worth a win or two, but it was not to be, and the Oilers felt they needed to replace Darcy Hordichuk’s spot on the roster more than Horcoff’s or Whitney’s.

The Lowetide at High Noon Show is archived now at Team 1260. The podcast page is here, and the show is the last one downloaded (so #1). We talked Oiler struggles, the bottom 6 and how to fix it–at the deadline and in summer–the draft, McCurdy’s zone exits, Woodguy’s impressive defense of Paajarvi and OKC Barons with Neal Livingston from Tend the Farm. Have a listen if you have time.

I’d like to see the following lines and pairings today:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Paajarvi-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Belanger-Jones-Brown
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Peckham
  • Dubnyk

In speaking to both Bruce McCurdy and Darcy McLeod on the show yesterday, I was surprised to find out both feel men like Eric Belanger and Ryan Jones will have trade value. My question to both surrounded how to fix the bottom 6, and both men felt the trade deadline was key.

So, a question: What is reasonable trade deadline value for the following players:

• Eric Belanger
  • Ryan Jones
  • Lennart Petrell
  • Ryan Smyth
  • Mike Brown
  • Lennart Petrell
  • Ben Eager
  • Ryan Whitney
  • Nick Schultz
  • Mark Fistric
  • Ladislav Smid
  • Nikolai Khabibulin

Vollman’s latest chart, courtesy Rob and Jonathan Willis:

puc mar9

This reflects what we talked about yesterday: Petrell, Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk are getting beaten about the face and hands every sortie. The blue notes are the good ones in this bubble-filled graph, with the Chance trio, Magnus Paajarvi, the unrelated Schultz brothers and Teddy Peckman (very small ss) getting the blue sky checkmark.

My only concern among the younger group is the amount of playing time Schultz the younger is getting (they don’t have a number when the kid is lost, and he’s a little lost right now) and the type of minutes the Nuge is getting (tough, tough minutes every shift–he’s still a teenager, folks!).

Anyway, there’s progress and the management team looks pretty bad by this graph–all the kids who were drafted going back to Petry and Peckham are surviving. The problem is the men our GM brought in.

451 Responses to "OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS G25 (12-13) 10.3.13"

« Older Comments
  1. hunter1909 says:

The problem with paying any attention to Ralph from this point on is, we all know his team blows. His post game palaverfests have a sameness, win or lose quality to them that instantly bores.

2. Captain Happy says:

The Hawks, coming back home from a road trip, didn’t show up in the first period.

In the final two periods, the Hawks outscored the Oilers 5-2 and outshot them 31-13.

It happens.

3. russ99 says:

How’s Dubey doing?

4. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

Oh, Hunter – don’t ever change.

Captain Happy,

Oh, Captain Happy – anytime you want to change more fundamentally than evading flood-control with a new handle, feel free.

5. hunter1909 says:

Captain Happy:

It happens.

So basically what your stating for the record is, you don’t account for a 60 minute game as being any fair indicator for anything much in particular itself?

6. Gerta Rauss says:

russ99: How’s Dubey doing?I know the season is pretty much lost anyway, but it could get even worse with Danis and Roy or Hoivanen as our netminders.

Or Khabibulin.

7. gangplank says:

listening to 630ched it feels like we won a 4-1 game

8. spoiler says:

This was the barn burning, hang on for dear life, cardiac kids kind of game I expected to see more of before the season started.

9. Bos8 says:

I like Kreuger. Tells it like it is.

10. hunter1909 says:

Bos8,

Me too. Too bad he’s the only one who never played for the Oilers before. I fear that’s going to be held against him, as it rightly should according to whichever lunatic’s running the logic around Total Recall Place.

11. Numenius says:

Numenius:
    Weird that the two last place teams in the West (at least as of earlier today) were the first two to beat Chicago.

Edit: Oops. That wasn’t quite right. Colorado was 14th when they beat Chicago and we were 15th when we beat Chicago (after Columbus beat Detroit) but we were never 14th and 15th at the same time….anyway, still weird.

russ99:
    “Steve Smith”,

No Gilbert would be the same has he was here before – a plus player in the breakout and on the power play and a liability in his own zone, especially with his board play, passing the puck deep in the zone to get the puckout of the defensive zone and just as awful one-on-one against players with the puck.

His only real value is his puck-moving, and if he’s not putting up numbers to justify that part of his game (especially at that cap hit) he’s no better an option than a Petry or Schultz the younger who have the potential to be better than Gilbert defensively.

And when you drag Nick Schultz into the conversation, it’s foolish comparing completely different players, especially since Nick is doing all the heavy lifting on the same pairing as Justin – who again is not only outscoring Gilbert, but looks as good as if not better as a puck-mover and on the power play.

Maybe they’re showcasing Petrell? He’s played more than 8other forwards by my count, including all the good ones.

Good as opposed to Petrell?

Did you count Chicago Wolves there too?

“Steve Smith”:
    VanOil,

I’m not sure that “over/under” means what you think that it means.

Hi Steve.

I’ve missed that.

hunter1909:
    Lots of nice, slim women in Chicago that enjoy hockey.

Chicago is my single favorite place to visit.

Architecture, Museums, Art, Food, Sports, Women.

They are great at all 6.

Captain Happy:

It happens.

Fuck you.

16. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy: Chicago is my single favorite place to visit.

Architecture,Museums, Art, Food, Sports, Women.

They are great at all 6.

Also one may favourite cities in North America.

Seattle is pretty close.

17. DBO says:

Woodguy: Fuck you.

I second that

18. bookje says:

Woodguy: Hi Steve.

I’ve missed that.

I don’ think “missed that” means what you think it means.

19. RMGS says:

WTF? I decide to carry on with life this fine Sunday evening, and I’m forced to watch this barnburner’s replay tomorrow. That’s what happens when you throw in the towel, I guess.

HORCOFF!

20. sliderule says:

The only city that is worse than Seattle in winter is Vancouver.

The sun never shines and clouds are just above the trees.

Depressing cities in winter.

Captain Happy: Also one may favourite cities in North America.

Seattle is pretty close.

Seattle is great too.

Its not Chicago though.

Never been to Chicago, but LOVE Seattle.

23. hunter1909 says:

sliderule: The only city that is worse than Seattle in winter is Vancouver.
    The sun never shines and clouds are just above the trees.
    Depressing cities in winter.

Yes, because as I recall northern Alberta’s winters only run for an extra two months a year than anywhere else that’s sane, and with all that snow that kids can’t make a snowman because it’s powder, and bitter cold that easily rivals anything the German Army discovered in 1941-45…

To this day every time I see concrete underfoot anytime between mid November and mid April I almost feel like bursting into song.

24. sliderule says:

Well hunter or captain or dee ess ff or whatever you call yourself at least I have flushed out were you are from.

25. pboy says:

Andrew Shaw is exactly the type of prick the Oilers need. Sather used to find guys like him in other teams garbage bins all the time.

26. gogliano says:

Chicago is definitely legit, especially if you like your big cities to have a rougher edge to them (to go along with the upscale stuff). Lots of character.

27. tcho says:

What the Oilers need are more guys with blue circles on the Vollman charts.

28. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy: Seattle is great too.

Its not Chicago though.

Agreed – Seatlle is a 2nd tier metropolis sans NHL or NBA teams. Grunge is dead people, the women wear too much fleece (like Vcr) and what avant-garde vibe there ever was has long moved down the I5 to Portland… now there’s a fun town if you don’t mind tatoos, donuts, a craft brewery on every block and a slathering of irony.

GOod place to recover from being an Oiler fan… fucking team.

29. delooper says:

Never been to Chicago, but LOVE Seattle.

Seattle certainly is lovely. Chicago is a far more “urban” city than Seattle, though. Far more things going on. … and then there’s NYC. In Europe my favourite city is Berlin. It’s modern, it’s industrial, it’s affordable, its increasingly the centre of the continent, and there’s always loads going on.

30. JohnnyRocket says:

Love Chicago! Get to go there sometimes, as my brother lives there. Rich history, great food, awesome bars, nice people, beautiful architecture, wonderful city planning. What’s not to like? Some interesting traditions. No ketchup on their hot dogs. And Malort. Anyone ever do a shot of Malort. it is as evil as it sounds. Any disreputable bar should have a bottle of it open. It will fix whatever ails you.

31. delooper says:

JohnnyRocket:

There’s a lot of gun violence in Chicago, unfortunately.

32. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909: Yes, because as I recall northern Alberta’s winters only run for an extra two months a year than anywhere else that’s sane, and with all that snow that kids can’t make a snowman because it’s powder,and bitter cold that easily rivals anything the German Army discovered in 1941-45…

Honest-to-god, there is no winter climate I prefer to this one. I love the dryness and I love the sun, and I can live with the cold. I liked the snow when I was living in New Brunswick, but I hated the all-too-common winter rain. To a good western boy, there is little more demoralizing than trudging through two feet of snow while the rain pours down on you. Give me a clear, sunny, -20 degrees any day. Vancouver is too grey and depressing.

Haven’t seen Seattle, and only spent a few days in Chicago, but I quite liked it. As far as I’m concerned, though, no city in North America can hold a candle to New York (although I’ve yet to see San Francisco, which some cite as a contender).

In Europe, I can’t agree with Delooper about Berlin. It’s got a tremendous amount of interesting stuff in it, but somehow it’s missing that je ne sais quoi (or “rug”) that ties a city together (this is based on one visit of several days, admittedly). I loved Vienna the one time I saw it, but it’s been a few years. Paris is Paris. There’s something charming about how Rome is, against all odds, still the capital of a basically functional country. Haven’t seen Prague yet. For smaller stuff, Regensburg’s great.

sliderule:
    Well hunter or captain or dee ess ffor whatever you call yourself at least I have flushed out were youare from.

Uh, you know that Hunter is a different person from the other two, don’t you? A very, very different person.

33. Bos8 says:

Love Vienna – a capital of an empire in a postage stamp country. Paris is all snob, God help you if you’re French Canadian and try to speak French. Love Rome, the women are to die for and people watching is hilarious, the vino, the birra. The time to go is in the fall.

And then there’s Munich – the bier, the ham hocks, (haxen) the bier. The Madchen, healthy.

34. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”,

I fully agree about winter. Having lived in Ottawa, Toronto, Kingston and having spent a good bit of time in Vancouver, I prefer an Edmonton winter. I can go outside in runners for 5 minutes and my shoes are dry. Every time you step outside in an Ontario winter you are chilled to the core due to the humidity and everything lower than your knees is wet. Also, the lack of sun makes the whole place miserable.

35. stevezie says:

I understand the irony of this sentence, but Prague has too many tourists. I assume Paris is worse. I think Warsaw is an underrated European city, and there’s a lot of love about Edinburgh, but really London is the one for me.

As far as N.American cities go St John’s is my favourite. Maybe my favourite period.

Anyone been to Quito?

I like Edmonton winters though, so clearly I have unique tastes. I especially love the lack of sunlight, I find I’m more productive in the dark.

36. stevezie says:

Captain Happy,

Credit where it is due, at the beginning of the year we argued as to whether Danis could be an NHL back-up and it appears you were right, though I still think the AHL goalie of the year was a good bet and I would make it again.

You also said the Oil would be screwed if even one centre went down, but the degree of difficulty is a lot lower on that one.

37. Bos8 says:

London – good grief, must be a tourist thing on my part, all I got was drizzle interspersed with mist. Fish and chips were good but the English cuisine and the minuscule portions – yoicks

Always thought about Scotland – got there couldn’t get warm, soggy bedding.

38. B S says:

Liked London, but definitely seemed dreary all the time, the weather combined with the architecture. The Natural History Museum is fantastic (and the average person visiting the museum in London was so intelligent by comparison to North America). I enjoyed Bristol the most when I was in England. Lots to see within easy walking distance, food was much cheaper than London and there were plenty of great places to eat. And a little gritty. Only problem was that it seemed like everything was uphill no matter where you were going.

39. delooper says:

stevezie: rs f

Lviv in Ukraine is amazing. Cheap, few tourists, beautiful architecture, a rather cute and quirky culture, even by European standards. It’s kind of the “new Prague” in terms of european hispsterism. At present, few people go there other than Polish tourists.

If you go a little SE from Lviv you get to Ivano-Frankivsk. One of the few cities in Europe where you can find a monument to the people that fought against the Soviets (with the Nazis) another monument to people that fought against Nazis (with the Soviets) and the people that fought against *both* the Soviets and Nazis (at the same time, this isn’t Italy), all within one block of each other.

40. Kris11 says:

Steve Smith,

Go to Prague right now. You will thank me.

You are welcome.

41. delooper says:

“Steve Smith”,

The thing that’s amazing about Berlin is that while it’s both economically and culturally diverse, and while there’s loads of cultural and economic opportunities, the city has this feeling of calmness about it. It’s not like NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo or Hong Kong. It’s somehow a tranquil major city. Maybe I’m just romantic and can’t stop thinking that this is one of the towns that cultivated Hilbert, Einstein, Hopf, Noether, etc…

42. Bos8 says:

delooper:
    If you go a little SE from Lviv you get to Ivano-Frankivsk.One of the few cities in Europe where you can find a monument to the people that fought against the Soviets (with the Nazis) another monument to people that fought against Nazis (with the Soviets) and the people that fought against *both* the Soviets and Nazis (at the same time, this isn’t Italy), all within one block of each other.

See, you always miss something when you go visiting. I was in the suburbs eating varenyky, hoeing in the garden, (got smoked by a babtsia that was at least 85) and drinking multi toasts of horilka everywhere I went. No wonder the whole stay was a little fuzzy.

Almost like home on the farm except too much horilka. Good thing was – no slow pitch. Used to be baseball at home, now it’s slow pitch. Fat farmers’ sport.

43. delooper says:

Almost like home on the farm except too much horilka.Good thing was –no slow pitch.Used to be baseball at home, now it’s slow pitch.Fat farmers’ sport.

When I was there, Russia had a boycott on Georgian goods. So Ukraine was flooded with cheap Georgian wines and Cognac. Those things were cheap in Ukraine before the boycott…

44. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

B S,

Nice to see some love for the South West UK. London gets all the hype, and I enjoy staying there for a day or two (and for all those moaning about how dreary it is, it’s stunning on those rare occasions when the sun actually shines here in England!), but it’s far too busy for my liking.

I live in Bristol, and it’s ok I guess, a fair amount to do depending on what you like to do, very “urban art” (home of Banksy) and hippy culture kind of place, which isn’t necessarily my cup of tea. And the hills can be frustrating yes.

I would recommend Bath, my hometown, just 13 miles down the road from Bristol. Stunning architecture (the Royal Crescent, Bath Abbey) and a lot of history, plus great pubs and more rural than urban. Of course, I am biased, but I think Bath is a must-see for anyone visiting the UK.

Cardiff is good too, especially if you visit it on the day of an international rugby game being played at Millenium Stadium, electric atmosphere, a very vibrant city – although you have to stay in the right areas.

45. DeadmanWaking says:

Woodguy: Fuck you.

I was withholding “Capstan Harpy”, but now he’s earned it.

46. BrazilianOil says:

Without a doubt, the best place to stay during the winter is my little island !

Why nobody write here you gonna change the clock ? I missed the 4 goals !

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Kris11,

Hit Wroclaw in Poland while you’re nearby, and Krakow is only a 4 hour train ride from there, then you can make your way to Bratislava.

48. leadfarmer says:

BlacqueJacque,

Thats my hometown, tied with Krakow as the best cities in Poland. Budapest is a great city as well. Check out Munich. London is my favorite city in Europe. Amsterdam is great once you get out of tourist zone.

49. B S says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Don’t know if you’ll read this as it’s a day late, but I also enjoyed Bath, visited the roman baths there , but I was only there for a day as the conference was in Bristol, so I didn’t get to see much else. It didn’t hurt that it was fairly sunny the day I was there so the Royal Crescent was pretty cool (also where I saw my first full sized SUV in England after almost 2 weeks).

50. lawrenharris says:

My two kids have been in Prague for the whole winter. Apparently the sun hasn’t shone once. Reminds me of London.

51. BlacqueJacque says:

leadfarmer,

No shit?! I was born there, near Plac Grunwaldzki.

« Older Comments