OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS G22 (12-13) 5.3.13

It’s easy to forget that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is not yet 20. It’s also easy to forget that despite having a major falloff offensively the young man is effective in other areas, the areas of the game we associate with more mature players. It’s easy to forget–when he’s winning puck battles or back checking like a demon and winning the puck–that he has some lingering injury issues that will probably shut him down for “Oilers shoulder surgery TM” sometime this spring.

Jim Matheson suggests that St. Louis is looking at Ryan Whitney.

• Matheson: The word is that the Blues may be looking at him now, feeling he can be a better alternative than Wade Redden or Ian Cole on the back end.

I’d love to see Ian Cole as an Oiler, but they’d have to move soon as he’s a Jarmo Kekelainen prospect and I suspect the Blue Jackets will be after him.

Mike Brown will probably be in the lineup tonight, my guess is that he plays on the 4line instead of Petrell.

• RNH-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Paajarvi-Hemsky
  • Belanger-Smyth-Jones
  • VandeVelde-Eager-Brown
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Peckham
  • Dubnyk

If the Oilers don’t run Paajarvi out there after the last game, expect another Woodguy post to appear–and this time he’ll be pissed! :-)

The disconnect between Edmonton’s msm and the Oilogosphere in terms of what this trade means is incredible. How two groups of people can have such a massive gap in evaluation of the trade borders on impossible–but it has happened before. Bill James early writings were scoffed at by many baseball people, and his views were framed at just shy of blasphemy, but most of the things he wrote about in 1984 are now commonplace in baseball.

The nature of the beast in hockey is that there is no central figure–yet–but things like the gap between media and advanced stats observers will create a need (probably propelled by television) for an advanced stat guru. I always though Tyler Dellow was the best candidate, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him on the tsn trade deadline show one year or part of Sportsnet’s free agent special.

Scoff if you wish, but we’re beyond ‘if’ and well into ‘when.’ If I could offer one piece of advice to anyone wanting the mantle, I would suggest the following:

• pick something that you know to be true but that hockey people would find alarming.
  • Write something that delivers the news without bias but plenty of color, with phrases like “the Sedins are older now, but if you were to use a 19-year old for his entire career in such a way (drastic offensive zone starts), that 19-year old might outscore his generation by 500 or more points.”

That might do it.

I don’t have much to say about tonight’s game, an Oilers win means we can talk about a successful road trip being possible and the second season still being in sight. A loss means you’ll see me talking more about the draft beginning tomorrow.

It is not a must win, but we can see it from here.

425 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS G22 (12-13) 5.3.13"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. OilClog says:

7 shots, hope they can atleast get 4 in the second.. Might be asking for too much.

2. VanOil says:

Norm Macdonald sighting, he is doing insurance commercials in Ohio.

3. Lucinius says:

Time to turn off the audio so I don’t have to listen to Sportsnet’s twit collection.

Its almost unfair; Oiler fans have to suffer through both the team and Sportsnet’s assembled asinine analysts.

4. jonrmcleod says:

Another great moment in Spector’s show yesterday: he’s hysterical with the acquisition of the big, tough Mike Brown. Then he says the European Hartikainen isn’t big for a third liner. Brown is 5’11″, 205. Hartikainen is 6’1″, 215.

5. skinny65 says:

Wondering if anyone else saw this mention of macT at the sports analytics conference. It doesn’t make me feel very good, cause I thought he was looking for edges like this.

6. Smarmy says:

I agree with former NHL GM Doug Maclean. “Why is Whitney in the doghouse?”

I’m really baffled tbh.

7. SK Oiler Fan says:

I know there’s personnel issues, but the coaching staff has to have these guys more fired up and prepared to start games. They’re not this bad.

8. Rebilled says:

2 goals and 3 assists in 14.3 games for Whitney.

Let’s face it, every team needs this guy and we should look at some options. Real leader in the room. Real veteran presence.

Boston should also take a look at this guy. He’s from there. We’ll take a Bruin for Whitney. Done deal.

9. ohhell says:

Anyone got a feed for this game. Trying to view from the Caribbean. Help!

10. Smarmy says:

ohhell:
    Anyone got a feed for this game.Trying to view from the Caribbean.Help!

Hi I’m in paradise and I’d like to watch the Oilers please?

Never thought I’d experience this.

11. Derek says:

ohhell:
    Anyone got a feed for this game.Trying to view from the Caribbean.Help!

Make sure you’ve got a drink.

12. bookje says:

Anyone got a feed for a Caribbean Beach. I am in Edmonton and watching the Oilers. Help!

13. VanOil says:

Partatti’s article on Nuge Numerology over at C&B made the intermission more enjoyable than the first period.

14. ohhell says:

Smarmy,

It’s called masochism.

mas·och·ism

/ˈmasəˌkizəm/

Noun

1.The tendency to derive pleasure, esp. sexual gratification, from one’s own pain or humiliation.
    2.(in general use) The enjoyment of what appears to be painful or tiresome.

15. tcho says:

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

Loved the luck post by the way. This is the problem with the olympics- single elimination allows for far too much luck.
    Each shot on net is like the pull of a slot machine. Odds are altered by the quality of the shooter and the quality of the goalie, but it is still basically a series of lever pulls. You can’t always control whether or not you win, but you should be able to determin how many pulls you get vs. give.

Good analogy. I’d replace “determine” with “influence,” and then I think this describes quite well what a coach should be trying to do. (Except for the variation in the quality of the “pull” – shooting location, rebounds, etc.)

I’m going to cry when they send Paajarvi down.

17. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi! Eurosoft scores!

18. Rebilled says:

Holy shit MPS and nice work gags!

19. tcho says:

This Paajarvi kid sucks. Let’s trade him for another Ben Eager.

20. striatic says:

demote THAT to OKC!

21. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice play by 89, but Mason has holes everywhere

22. Lucinius says:

Nooooo! Mason got pulled! Put him back in! We need Mason in the net!

23. Smarmy says:

Mason blows big time but I’m happy for Mags. I want him to score all the goals.

24. bookje says:

Awesome 2 and 3/5ths to 2.

Euro goals only count as 3/5th of a Canadian goal, right?

I am pretty sure I heard Spector say that today.

25. Smarmy says:

Luckily CLBs other goalie sucks shit too.

26. OilClog says:

MPS The Mysterious. He can score a goal a game and he’s still doomed.

27. VanOil says:

91 gets ice time. 91 gets to play out side the Belanger Traingle. 91 becomes one of Oilers top 5v5 scorers.

Onrait is going to love the BOBROVSKY sigthing.

28. Rebilled says:

Columbus has a short bench right?

This is a must win game, if we wanna get back to .500

29. tcho says:

Foligno’s looked good to my eye for CBJ tonight.

30. SK Oiler Fan says:

bookje:
    Anyone got a feed for a Caribbean Beach.I am in Edmonton and watching the Oilers. Help!

That’s gold. It’s comments like this that get us through games like this

31. striatic says:

SK Oiler Fan: get us through games like this

and to think this is what we say when they are winning.

32. tcho says:

Damn.

33. striatic says:

well.

34. Lucinius says:

Obviously that was Paajarvi’s fault, right? He line-changed to get Hall on the ice and Edmonton got scored on.

35. OilClog says:

12-9 final, looks like Dubnyk has decided to curl

That was Hall’s guy.

37. SK Oiler Fan says:

Who was the LW on that play that stayed over on the hash whe cbj had the puck behind the net? I mean these are pee wee mistakes

38. Lucinius says:

This is what grit gets you, right?

39. TheOtherJohn says:

Seriously Oilers are the 27 Yankees……………. Ok they are not!!!!!

P.S.: those of you that like Whitney just fine (as a player): you fit within the definition “sophisticated fans” that Bob Staufer says constitutes 75% of the total # of Oiler fans.

When the CBJ goalie cannot stop SHIT, how is this game tied?

40. Lucinius says:

Did Sportsnet really screw up going to commercial like that?

41. Derek says:

Noone actually thinks that guy helps a team win hockey games right?

42. Zelepukin says:

Smid has been fighting the puck all night.

I’ll be surprised if Hall plays next game.

Oilers beginning to lose their way now.

44. Lucinius says:

Oilers should run clinics on how NOT to do defensive zone play.

45. tcho says:

Oilers need to pick it up. Outshot nearly 2-1 in period and game, and some definite pressure from CBJ for the past 5 mins.

46. Henry says:

That spin move by the Nuge with a guy on him was so good it must have been sort of lucky.

47. Henry says:

Lucinius:
    Oilers should run clinics on how NOT to do defensive zone play.

Where is Charlie Huddy now?

48. VanOil says:

CBJ commentators very impressed with the Nuge, pointing out that the Oil Kings have 10 players older than him. The splash card they used had him listed at 6’0 and 171lbs. The NHL site has him at 6’1 185lbs. Shh don’t tell any one he is growing into the job. At this pace next year he will be a 6’2 199lbs monster Coke machine. Maybe the extra inch in height is throwing off his coordination/slash aim and when he gets a longer stick he will shoot lower.

49. hunter1909 says:

Oilers play a hyper aggressive style and they’re constantly cheating and pushing the limits and make a ton of mistakes as a result; most of the rest of the NHL plays safer and therefore makes less mistakes but this team’s too talented to stand for anything but elite.

So…whether anyone likes it or not it’s going to be lot’s and lot’s of mistakes, until these punk’s collective bollocks finally drop.

50. hunter1909 says:

Rebilled,

I was wondering where the catch was.

We we porridge for years, and now we’re either splendid or on fire depending on who is on the ice. One day, when the Oilers decide to turn the switch and add actual NHL players we’re going to see a tremendous group.

Or Hall asks for a trade. One of the two.

52. bookje says:

I think the opposition has figured out a great way to beat the Oilers defensive coverage. Stand near to Whitney in front of the net. Being so close to a white sweater with an Oilers logo gives the illusion that you are covered and the real players leave you alone.

Yeesh – It doesn’t take foot speed to care. He lost about 5 ‘battles’ in front of the net that period.

53. hunter1909 says:

Hall’s not going to ask for a trade; he’s going to start getting Mark Messier pissed, then he starts slapping and verbally intimidating, followed quickly by beating up the slackers and they’ll be the ones crying out of Dodge.

Why should it be these great kids ending up having to be broken up, particularly when this is the poster child team for fucking up already established dynasties?

Unless Katz is a fool, which he certainly is not, Kevin Lowe/MacT/Bucky/Steve Smith/Horcoff should all be wondering where they’re going to be this time next October.

54. Derek says:

Or Hall asks for a trade. One of the two.

First they need to find the switch, then find someone capable of turning it. Will there be anyone left watching by that point?

55. OilLeak says:

Or Hall asks for a trade. One of the two.

If this team finishes in the bottom 5 in the NHL next season, I can see Hall doing that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he rips on some of his teammates behind closed doors.

56. VanOil says:

Ahh Porridge. In honor of that thought and the late great Ronnie Barker watch this after the game as a pick me up. For win or lose this has been dyer. Give it a chance it starts slow but is well worth it.

57. Derek says:

Man, they just showed a replay of the Jackets second period goal on the Columbus feed and Hall looks really bad on that play. I knew it was his man before hand but damn, he stood there and watched the entire thing happen.

58. Derek says:

Also:

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH
    Chances after 40 min: 6-12; 0-3 ST. The Oilers have six chances in 40 min vs the Columbus Blue Jackets. Stop wasting your time

59. striatic says:

OilLeak: If this team finishes in the bottom 5 in the NHL next season, I can see Hall doing that.

he has too many friends on the team and this current season has too much of an asterisk next to it to be doing that next season.

but season after next, he’s gone.

60. hunter1909 says:

I’ve had the day off, and missed the 1st 2 periods, other than some scrambling around by both teams for about 3 minutes before the end of the 2nd.

This way, I get to see a 3-3 tie game unfold, fresh without any torments such as the rest of you poor bastards must be going through right now.

61. Nostradumbass says:

hunter1909:

This game. Is a must win for management. Oil fans are going to light torches if this one slips away.

Katz might want to pull a Joker, gather the above management group, break some pool cues and turn out the lights. Survivor can be the token advisor/tie to the past and move on with a competent management team

62. Danenbaum says:

I generally like to flip around NHL Centre Ice on intermissions and commercials. In MOST other games, there is a noticeable improvement in the speed, flow, and intensity in games not involving the Oilers. This is not new to this year. (Note: I will attribute a small portion of this to the Sportsnet crew who are not great at getting anyone excited).

63. tcho says:

Oh dear. This powerplay…

64. Lucinius says:

This is just embarrassing.

65. tcho says:

Can we decline the powerplay like in football?

66. BlacqueJacque says:

tcho:
    Oh dear. This powerplay…

If the Oilers played as well 5v5 as the Ceebeejeebees played 4v5, we could win a few.

I thought I was going to miss something when I went to my appointment. I come back to this shit?

67. Smarmy says:

The GM told me this team just needs to learn how to win. So when they read that book and watch the video we should be good to go.

68. Derek says:

I don’t want Edmonton to win this game. I want them to keep losing until someone gets fired, at which point Lowe will just appoint another puppet, but atleast I won’t have to look at Tambellinis mug anymore.

69. hunter1909 says:

I recommend everyone misses the 1st 2 periods of the next game. What a concept. You miss out on so much ag. I’m watching this and it doesn’t even bother me.

70. Zelepukin says:

Danenbaum:

i do the same. It’s like watching an AHL game in comparison.

71. hunter1909 says:

All joking aside, tonight’s game has got to be classified as must-win.

72. GordM says:

outshot 28-14…a powerplay that cannot get out of its own zone…somebody call me when they fire Lowe and co. (except MacT)

73. Smarmy says:

Hmmm now i see why Nail doesn’t get as much PP time as I want.

74. hunter1909 says:

Hard to say this, but putting Eberle and Gagner together might fail.

Oilers must be everyone’s fave opponent in the West – everyone looks so happy for the Jackets tonight, as Oilers make them look good.

75. Smarmy says:

Danenbaum:

I do this as well. I actually enjoy Leafs games as a dumpster is more entertaining when their is no emotion invested in it.

76. Nostradumbass says:

I remember when Prout was in the rookie game a few years ago. Outside of Eberle was the best player in the game. Made Alex Plante look like an EasterIsland statue on skates.

Of course we didn’t sign him and now he’s playing 20 mins tonight for CLB

Wonder if we missed out or if its more a reflection of a player getting a chance with another bad team

These are two awful hockey teams.

78. leadfarmer says:

I wouldnt be too upset if 64 spent the next couple games eating pretzels with Whitney and Potter. Check out the wild v Hawks game after this, its a lot more interesting hockey.

79. BlacqueJacque says:

Can we start a “fire MacTambLowe” campaign?

This whole 3-headed hydra of horrible hyperfailure is getting annoying.

I want Tambellini gone, because he built this team.

I want MacT gone because the stench of failure and mental weakness clings to him like maggots cling to rottten meat.

And I want Lowe gone for being the true architect of this pathetic bullshit.

Hire Burke.

Senators? Playoff-bound.
    Habs? Playoff-bound.
    Leafs? Playoff-bound.

And we’re being outplayed by the Blue Jackets and got humiliated by the Wild.

80. sliderule says:

Nuge won the face off and Eberle did a flyby and forced Nail to take a hook.

For those of you who don’t think we are too small that was classic.

81. VanOil says:

Half jokingly in the past I have recommend Esa Tikkanen as the Oilers coach. I am coming back to the idea today but as assistant coach in charge of truculence and special Spector only media relations manager. This thought brings me joy. Tik by the way is an accomplished coach and played a lot more minutes with the great one than his famed protectors of old, because he could play. Soft as a scalpel.

82. hunter1909 says:

I’m still cautiously optimistic for this team.

83. Danenbaum says:

Zelepukin,

Would that be the same AHL that destroyed Eberle’s NHL work ethic this year?

84. hunter1909 says:

FFS someone give Brown another fucking number…as if 13 is lucky in some cosmically cool wack way for hipsters or something.

Euros can have 13 since they’re all basically commies.

85. tcho says:

Fun counter-attack there from 91-89-14

86. tcho says:

Finally starting to pick up the pace a bit here.

87. 42 percent body fat says:

this team sucks

dont the player see that the top three shooters are also the top three scorers on the team,

Shoot the Fn’ing puck (nuge!, Hemksy! yak!)

88. Danenbaum says:

It looks like Brown is really good at skating fast and bumping into things. Poor Smytty. He deserves better linemates…like Petrell or VV for example.

89. hunter1909 says:

I’d like to know exactly how the Oilers explain this season to their season ticket holders in that annual meet the suckers day.

All those who have had season tix since the Gagner(3 1st round picks, remember?) draft could by now have sent their kid to Harvard for three semesters, all expenses inclusive.

Okay two semesters.

90. leadfarmer says:

How long until fans turn on 14, giving it 1 year.

91. sliderule says:

I have counted eight uncontested shots from the high slot by jackets.

That’s coaching my friends.

92. alice13 says:

When does the ‘Fire-wagon Hockey” phase start?

NELPH.

Jesus.

93. SK Oiler Fan says:

If they’re tired already, the last gameof this tour is going tobe globetrotters. It’s either tired legs or no effort causr this is the slowest I’ve seen them.

94. 42 percent body fat says:

leadfarmer,

I like 14 but I chose him as the trade bait and on him about production when he signed that ridiculously overpriced contract.

95. hunter1909 says:

Hemmed in their zone with 5 mins left in a must win or the season’s flushed…love it.

96. hunter1909 says:

That ice has a 7 degree grade tilted toward Dubnyk, lol.

97. bookje says:

GordM:

I don’t see why MacT would be spared.

This team misses Horcoff.

If the management is trying to compete and is being stymied by a tight trade market and having little to offer (and an unwillingness to part with future picks) then they better pick up Hamerlik.

The Brown pick up was not really bad or good. It’s only bad if the management truly believes that all the team is lacking is truculence.

98. leadfarmer says:

WIld getting pummeled by Hawks. 4-1 at the end of 1. 17-5 shots on goal.

99. hunter1909 says:

Always like Tutyin since he was a Ranger.

100. leadfarmer says:

How is 6 still allowed to play.

101. hunter1909 says:

Imagine buying season tickets to watch these losers.

Season after season, while Lowe’s kids graduate college lmao.

102. SK Oiler Fan says:

Mr krueger,
    Why is 6 out in the last minute of a must win game?

103. hunter1909 says:

Pythonesque, are these Oilers.

104. hunter1909 says:

I half expected RNH to rifle a shot at Dubnyk at the bell.

105. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer,

SK Oiler Fan,

Orders from the top. Hahahahaha

Eric Belanger made possibly the stupidest play by a veteran C I’ve ever seen. 50 seconds left, throw it in the slot! Holy hell.

42 percent body fat:
    leadfarmer,

Eberle has 6 goals and 17 points in 22 games and earning $1.2 million, playing most of the season against the toughest opposition on the other team at 22 with 20 year old and a 19 year old.

There are about 20-25 players in the entire NHL at more than 1 PPG.

I think some people have unreasonable expectations.

108. Lucinius says:

Belanger’s ice time is way, way too high this game.

109. BlacqueJacque says:

Gawdangit Eberle how do you not bury that?

I CAN MAKE THAT SHOT.

I can’t receive the pass, but I can make the shot.

110. tcho says:

How does 14 miss that… wrist must be bugging him.

111. Lucinius says:

Eberle! You have to get that higher.. bleh.

112. jake70 says:

One timer, not in the playbook.

113. tcho says:

And then 14, with body position, gets knocked way too easily off the puck.

114. BlacqueJacque says:

The second was a helluva save by Bobrovsky.

115. Lucinius says:

Eh…

You’ve got one guy on that powerplay who’s scoring.. and he’s stuck at the point playing pass the puck for the guys snake-bitten.

116. hunter1909 says:

Too bad it can’t all be 4 on 3 for the Oilers.

117. delooper says:

Eberle blew his clutchness.

118. Smarmy says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Eberle miss like that before. Junior included.

119. hunter1909 says:

Eberle hesitated. I saw it.

It was for a split second, but he hesitated.

120. Derek says:

1 shot on net on a PP in OT?

121. SK Oiler Fan says:

Fk now kruegs has 6 out for 4 on 4? He can’t skate!

122. bookje says:

Smarmy:
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen Eberle miss like that before. Junior included.

The whole team has what he has.

123. BlacqueJacque says:

This stinker turned into a thriller.

I picked a good time to tune in.

4 on 4 should be standard NHL hockey.

124. hunter1909 says:

I don’t care what happens.

125. Reg Dunlop says:

Can you imagine how ugly this game would be if the oil were playing a team of real NHLers? On the bright side, none of the oilers will have to change into dry clothes after the game. Every one of these primadonnas needs to visit a jobsite in a kind of scared straight way. No effort? No problem. Grab a shovel.

126. Lucinius says:

I’d go Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi for the shoot out.

Instead we’ll see Eberle, Gagner, Hall and lose.

127. tcho says:

Still a chance to salvage 2 points here. Come on, boys!

128. gogliano says:

If I were RK I would have pulled the goalie on the PP. Zero points is probably better than one at this point.

129. hunter1909 says:

Can they afford to lose in OT?

130. bookje says:

Lucinius:
    I’d go Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi for the shoot out.

Instead we’ll see Eberle, Gagner, Hall and lose.

Paajarvi in the shootout? I like the guy, but lets not be silly.

131. Lucinius says:

I bet Columbus tries to go blocker side!

Dubnyk is weak blocker side in shootouts.

132. Lucinius says:

bookje,

He’s one of the few Oilers who played a good game and isn’t snake bitten!

133. hunter1909 says:

Gagner will miss.
    Eberle will score but might miss.
    Hemsky is money tonight. He shoot, he scores!

134. BlacqueJacque says:

Bobo isn’t giving anything up blocker side.

135. hunter1909 says:

oh oh.

136. tcho says:

sonofabitch.

137. BlacqueJacque says:

Fire MacTambLowe.

Well ladies and men, the Oilers didn’t deserve to win it and that’s for sure. 1-2-2.

139. jp says:

Wow, does the loser point ever feel like a loser point tonight… damn.

140. Smarmy says:

Detroit Lions of hockey… (Which is extra painful as I follow them too)

141. Lucinius says:

Whelp.. they actually went glove side.. so Dubnyk is just bad at shoot outs period.

Oilers didn’t deserve the one point they got. This team is not a playoff team. This team isn’t even a 9-12 team, which is pathetic. So few of the players actually apply :effort:. Its not grit or size we need. We need more players who give a shit and can actually play in the defensive zone.

142. hunter1909 says:

We’re the 1962 Mets.

143. delooper says:

I’m glad I only caught the last 5 minutes.

144. leadfarmer says:

When we start seeing Paajarvi, Belanger, and VDV in the shootout we’ll know the tank is on.

145. hunter1909 says:

Honestly dudes, I missed the first 2 periods of tonight’s barf-snoozefest and it’s recommended for whichever NHL team Oilers face next, during this Magical Mystery Road Trip to Venus/Mars.

146. TheOtherJohn says:

Oiler goal should be to blow KLowe out of the organization. Him and every subpar crappy hire he ever made. Mediocre coach, absolutely shitty GM (the Worst and i include Maclean in that discussion) abysmal puppet master of Tambelini. They must have office pools on malapropisms by Tambellini. Truly butchers basic English. Would be GM of Nucks save for intelligence, judgement and the ability to make a decision.Other than those small deficiencies, he has a stunningly mediocre pedigree as an AHL GM.

Trust many of you here recall Tambi’s famous 09 end of the year presser when ST said Oilers are too easy to play against, not a hallmark of Oiler hockey and hat would change asap, and before next (2009/10) season.

Meant to ask how’s that working out?

147. hunter1909 says:

No team can win jack with Gagner as it’s leading scorer, and the stats back it up. The stats that show them anywhere between 12th and 14th right now.

148. OilLeak says:

I miss Andy Sutton.

149. hunter1909 says:

TheOtherJohn: how’s that working out?

You must have forget about the evaluation.

150. hunter1909 says:

I feel like I’m trolling. Good night.

151. SK Oiler Fan says:

Fortunate to get a point. I’m not sure they put 2 good shifts back to back all night. This team is regressing and that’s not good considering where they came from. Hamrlik can play 3D on this team right now.

152. alice13 says:

The sad and terrifying thing:

This was Columbus.
    This is the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Oilers.

The Perennial Lottery.

153. TheOtherJohn says:

Having been meaning to ask: why would we sign Darcy Hordichuk to a one way NHL $850K contract if we saw him play for the entirety of last season? Understand signing someone you haven’t seen to a mistake contract but Hordy is your own player.

Reinforces my belief that LoweBellini take the bulk of the NHL season off, save of course, the lottery

154. hunter1909 says:

PS: Just checked the standings. Nice, Oilers 14th/CBJ 15th; like they’re both saying

“We want Seth Jones”.

“No, We want Seth Jones”.

“Don’t be silly. We’re getting him”.

“No you aren’t. We’re getting him”

etc.

155. VanOil says:

Fugly hockey, but I will be back for more punishment.

156. hunter1909 says:

I’m really enjoying this. if they blow for Jones, and get him, I’ll be over the moon and so will everyone else lurking in these shadowy internet basements, all done up ala Pupkin in each their own special way.

hunter1909:
    Woodguy’s starting to remind me of the Fonz.

On Happy Days Fonzie starts out as a minor character, more for a little light relief than anything before he suddenly starts taking over the show and watch out, because it’s only a matter of time before The Fonz stars in that memorable scene – with a fish sporting a cartilaginous endoskeleton, no less.

That’s a little much.

158. BlacqueJacque says:

alice13:
    The sad and terrifying thing:

This was Columbus.
    This is the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Oilers.

The Perennial Lottery.

Columbus showed more desire, more heart, more dedication through ~58 minutes of hockey (including OT) than the Oilers.

Columbus which not only just began its rebuild (again), but they traded their star, their first overall pick near his peak, last year. And their second overall defenceman is injured in junior.

If Kreuger is like so many other slow-to-anger types I’ve met, when he blows, it’s going to be a cataclysmic eruption. A second Krakatoa. I should buy a bunker.

B S,

I would only take umbrage with the use of shot differential as a predictor of winning percentage, it was already shown in a previous thread (honestly can’t recall who) that the best predictor was goal differential (logically since it is the deciding factor in each game). Teams can have solid possession but either run into a hot goaltender, or be taking poor shots on net, while another team can reserve their shots for high quality chances on a counterattack (Washington vs Montreal a few years back).

Scoring differential is very highly correlated with winning, no question, and I think slightly better than shot attempt differential, but SAD (hilarious) is still 80-85%.

Works better in season than scoring diff imo.

Of course luck is very important, I posted in two threads about it yesterday.

Its the single most ignored factor in sports.

160. leadfarmer says:

hunter1909,

Try updating the standings. We just passed Calgary and Colorado. I think the Eastern conference will have something to say about who gets to the basement first. There is some serious suckage going on there.

161. Gret99zky says:

There was a time long ago when coaches could consequence players for not giving 100% effort every shift.

They could put them on the bus still wearing their gear.

They could bag skate them until they puked.

They could put 500 pucks on the ice and make them shoot every last one into the net before leaving the ice during practice. “You don’t take shots during the game, you’ll take them during practice!”

But those days are long gone. Coaches can’t do shit now with players rights and guaranteed money.

Pussification indeed.

B S,

Coincidentally I believe Corsi is a poor estimator of skill, or ‘betterness’ of a team or player because it doesn’t look at possession, just shot attempts, it only tells you who is shooting more, if they also have a low shooting% then they probably aren’t even aiming the darn thing just throwing it on net (Paajarvi ’11/12 anyone), but a guy can shoot the puck as soon as he gets or hold onto it and pass it around looking for better opportunities, corsi doesn’t tell you which. My point is more or less that in sports stats aren’t yet used the way they’re supposed to be.

Actually its the best indicator of possession that we have.

Ideally, you’d want every player to be wear a chip that tells you where they are on the ice at all times and for that to be tracked and published.

Of course you’d want a chip in the puck to do the same thing.

You’d also want:

-passes attempte/passes made
    -battles won/lost
    -zone exits with possession
    -neutral zone with possession
    -zone entries with possesion

Mind you, the chips would give you the last 3.

We don’t have that info, but the info that does get published is shot data by the NHL.

What shot differential looks at is how many times a team attempts a shot.

This is a good proxy for possession because:

-You know which team has the puck
    -You know they are in a position to make a shot on net so 99.98% of the time, they are in the ozone

So you can use every attempted shot as a point of data that Team “X” had the puck in the ozone, or that Player “X”‘s team had the puck in the ozone when they were on the ice.

That is all Attempted Shot Differential (ASD, I like that better) is used to describe.

You don’t try to use it to see “how good a shot was” or if was a good scoring chance.

You don’t use it to try to determine skill or “betterness”, unless the “betterness” is puck possession, then you do.

Trying to use it for that is simply wrong. I don’t know of anyone who tries to use it as you described.

You use it because its the best tool available to deterimne puck possession in the offensive zone.

Full stop.

Also,

Attempted shot differential has also been found to be highly correlated with scoring chances:

163. Gret99zky says:

It sucks that not one member of this organization, player or otherwise, hates losing. Not one.

Or Hall asks for a trade. One of the two.

Its nothing that 3 real NHL Dmen and a 94-20-28 4th line couldn’t fix.

And a good backup goalie.

All of this is predicated on having a GM who doesn’t just wait for kids to grow up.

Gret99zky:
    It sucks that not one member of this organization, player or otherwise, hates losing.Not one.

I’m not kidding.

166. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy: According the Stauffer today, the culture of losing on the Edmonton Oilers is all Horcoff’s fault and he’s also not letting the kids take over the team.

I’m not kidding.

The sockpuppet speaks?

Must be a trade in the works, or the Oilers org prepping for Hall taking over the captaincy.

Or maybe they’re throwing Horc under the bus to keep their jobs.

Who knows? It’s the Oilers. Either possibility is likely and shameful.

I’m not kidding.

What? WHAT?

168. 42 percent body fat says:

godot10,

So you are saying he is making good on his 1.2M contract this year. That doesnt change the fact that a player who never has been a ppg player and shot a ridiculous shot percentage last year should make 6M next year.

I dont care what he is making this year. We have 6M per year invested in him, and he has to show progression towards this not a step backwards. And like horcoff you dont blame the player for taking the money.

But to anyone who thinks this is a good contract you are an idiot. You dont pay a player that much based on a 43 point season and a 73 point season with a shooting percent that high. I guess Nazem Kadri should be resigned this year than for 7.0M.

The worst thing about this is knowing that we have three more studs to sign we didnt try and get a discount. Stupid. If he continues at this pace this year he would be signed for 5M. and it would help keep Gagners next contract in check.

169. tcho says:

Gret99zky,

Too far.

Derek:
    I don’t want Edmonton to win this game.I want them to keep losing until someone gets fired, at which point Lowe will just appoint another puppet, but atleast I won’t have to look at Tambellinis mug anymore.

I’m down with that.

sliderule:
    Nuge won the face off and Eberle did a flyby and forced Nail to take a hook.

For those of you who don’t think we are too small that was classic.

Eberle didn’t fly by because he’s small.

He did it because he was lazy on the play.

A 4ft man could get that puck after RNH won it.

sliderule:
    I have counted eight uncontested shots from the high slot by jackets.

That’s coaching my friends.

I agree with that.

And young players who forget assignments.

Or Jones’ who forget assignments.

173. Southern Oil says:

I’m not kidding.

Do you think this signals a buyout this summer? That’s all fine and dandy but you have to come up with a replacement. That seems really tough for a management team that is still evaluating.

174. Zipdot says:

“No word yet on Taylor Hall’s return, but reading the tea leaves I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the lineup tonight. Oilers are a different team with Chance in the lineup, and that top line rattles and buzzes and percolates with #4 driving the sports car. Taylor Hall seems to help the wavelength.”

LT, no disrespect intended, but this sounds super gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

175. voxwah says:

The one thing that will help me sleep at night is that with 26 games to go in this NHL season the Oilers are 3 points out of a playoff spot right now. If you would have asked me if I would take that scenario at the beginning of the year I would have thought that would be a good spot. The team just needs a bit of a jump start and some confidence and they really could go on a good run.

They just need to find their mojo.

Smarmy:
    Detroit Lions of hockey… (Which is extra painful as I follow them too)

Well put.

You can also call them the Atlanta Thrashers of hockey.

It was mentioned on Stauffer’s show that Jeff Marek said the Oilers were in danger of becoming the Atlanta Thrashers and you could feel the heat from Bob’s face getting red on radio.

Then Bob started on about how Pittsburgh had 5 (5!) Lottery picks and the Oilers only have 3.

I’m not kidding.

According to Dr. Bob, you need 5 lottery picks to compete.

It helps if you forget about every other team that’s won the cup except Pittsburgh.

Zipdot:

LT, no disrespect intended, but this sounds super gay.Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Well, that was what I was aiming for!

Southern Oil: Do you think this signals a buyout this summer?That’s all fine and dandy but you have to come up with a replacement.That seems really tough for a management team that is still evaluating.

He alluded to a buyout.

Who knows?

They way this team is lost in the bottom 6 without Horcoff it would be idiotic.

Therefore I think it will happen.

MORE KIDS!!

THE SOLUTION IS MORE KIDS!!!

FIRE THE COACH!!!

GET ANOTHER LOTTERY PICK!!!

WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!

-Oiler’s Ad Slogan 2018

TheOtherJohn: Having been meaning to ask: why would we sign Darcy Hordichuk to a one way NHL $850K contract if we saw him play for the entirety of last season?

Because Oilers.

Every idiotic thing this franchise does can be answered with:

Because Oilers.

voxwah:

They just need to find their mojo.

Oilers need to go 15-8-2 to get to 55 points which everyone figures is the cut off.

You couldn’t chew a mojo that big.

181. BlacqueJacque says:

I’m honestly starting to get deja vu.

I was just noticing how Kreuger – a positive, player’s coach – has started to depart reality quite soon, compared to Renney. Already crediting the difference in the result to Bobrovsky, rather than perhaps the extra 10 shots against and innumerable chances.

I remember being here with MacT and Renney, it’s all starting to blend together.

182. Southern Oil says:

voxwah:

They just need to find their mojo.

Problem being they are 3 points out of last place in the West. I know what you are saying but IMO this is the year of the rebuild where they need to make a jump. If they don’t, I have to start asking myself, will they ever?

183. cabbiesmacker says:

“The Edmonton Oilers are so proud…..I mean…really, really proud…..

Flabbergasted and yet happy to be standing here with the #1 overall pick again proud”

Glad I’m a Hawks fan too. Oilers are a really shitty hockey team.

On a sidenote…Hall was obviously off a step or two. Has there been any word that he suffered the injury on the Clusterfuck KO?

184. RickDeckard says:

Anyone else concerned about Seth Jones’s offensive upside? He is .875 ppg on a team scoring 4.5 goals per game. Morgan Reilly is only 7 months older and has .907 ppg on a team scoring 2.5 goals per game. The impact everyone wants Jones to have is Doughty’s. Doughty scored 1.10 and .862 ppg on teams that scored 3.76 and 3.13 goals per game.

The Oilers should target Barkov. The kid has been playing adults and scoring. His NHLE is 42, compared to Hall’s 46, RNH’s 38 and Yakupov’s 40. Keep in mind that Barkov is 10 months younger than Hall, 5 months younger than RNH and 11 months younger than Yak.

Oh, and Barkov has taken a total of 6 minutes in penalties this year and gets big praise for his two way game. Against men. In a lockout strengthened league.

185. Lois Lowe says:

Zipdot:

186. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Because Oilers.

Every idiotic thing this franchise does can be answered with:

Because Oilers.

Oilers is as Oilers does?

187. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,
    Oilers have 26 games left.

As for 55 points, well, that number is going to be a bit lower now. The parity in the western conference through 20-odd games likely lowers the bar to about 52-53 points. It’s going to be unlikely that we get several tams pulling away from the pack to make 55 the minimum.

St. Louis, which is currently in 8th, would have to go 15-11-1 in 27 games remaining to get 55. They’re currently 11-8-2, so it’s within the realm of reason, but 53 points is statistically more likely. (never mind! I did the math, they’re right on pace.)

Oilers are 8-9-5. With 26 games remaining, to get 55 points they need another 34. So 17-9, or 16-7-2. QUITE unlikely. But 53 points would be 16-10 or 15-8-2. Still rather unlikely, but slightly better.

Of course, if you look at shots for/against and chances, well, we’re up shit creek without a paddle.

188. Zipdot says:

Lois Lowe: Making a ridiculous (and dated) platitude after using the word gay to disparage something doesn’t make it, or you, any less offensive. Just an FYI.

Err, it’s kind of a meme around here… Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

189. Southern Oil says:

I usually always listen to the post game presser from the coach. But tonight I just can’t. He’s far too positive right now for my liking – ‘if it looks like shit, smells like shit, it’s really just a nice filet.’ Sorry Ralph – I’m not buying.

190. Lois Lowe says:

Zipdot: Err, it’s kind of a meme around here…Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Calling things “super gay” is a meme around here? I must have missed the memo.

I get that you weren’t trying to offend anyone, hence the Seinfeld quote, but I am pointing out that calling things super gay is offensive. There is a negative connotation associated with the usage in this context, it’s not acceptable, and I am calling you out on it.

I really like the community of posters on this blog, and I think that we’re all adult enough to accept that even though this is a quasi-anonymous forum, some things are offside.

191. bluenotenorth says:

BlacqueJacque,

Oilers need 68% of the 52 points available to them. Only 4 teams are operating at that level – Chi, Ana, Mtl, and Bos. Not going to happen this year.

192. BlacqueJacque says:

bluenotenorth:
    BlacqueJacque,

Yup. QUITE unlikely.

193. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gary Clark!

That truculent guy that came over from the Leafs. Pat Quinn likes him fine. He’s really turning things around.

And, we get to keep that 3rd rounder!

Bring on Rummy Daves!

Can he wear 13 too?

194. bookje says:

Lois Lowe: Calling things “super gay” is a meme around here? I must have missed the memo.

Fully agree with Lois and if you don’t actually comprehend the problem with this term, consider that you are taking a term to describe a group of people and labelling it with negative connotations. People used to do this with people of different ethic backgrounds. Imagine if you were a young individual struggling whose identity was used in a derogatory fashion on a regular basis. Perhaps its time to challenge some of the meme’s that you use on a regular basis. I know these phrases are popular in high schools and the such, but you will notice that it’s not used here as the commentators are generally more respectful and more informed than your average high school cluster.

BlacqueJacque:
    Woodguy,
    Oilers have 26 games left.

As for 55 points, well, that number is going to be a bit lower now.The parity in the western conference through 20-odd games likely lowers the bar to about 52-53 points.It’s going to be unlikely that we get several tams pulling away from the pack to make 55 the minimum.

St. Louis, which is currently in 8th, would have to go 15-11-1 in 27 games remaining to get 55.They’re currently 11-8-2, so it’s within the realm of reason, but 53 points is statistically more likely.(never mind!I did the math, they’re right on pace.)

Oilers are 8-9-5.With 26 games remaining, to get 55 points they need another 34.So 17-9, or 16-7-2.QUITE unlikely.But 53 points would be 16-10 or 15-8-2.Still rather unlikely, but slightly better.

If you look at points percentage DET is in 8th in the west with .565

Over a 48 games that 54.24pts.

After tonight:

NASHVILLE 0.5
    CALGARY 0.5
    EDMONTON 0.477
    COLORADO 0.476
    COLUMBUS 0.391

196. Rondo says:

The problem is Lowe and his vision for this team. He has been wrong on so many levels, until he gets fired Oilers will be the same team they have always been with him.

Good hockey player bad coach and horrible President.

Lowetide: What? WHAT?

Listen to the podcast of Oiler’s now from today.

Bob was wwaaaaaaay out there on more than few things

Rondo:
    The problem is Lowe and his vision for this team.He has been wrong on so many levels, until he gets fired Oilers will be the same team they have always been with him.

Good hockey player bad coach and horrible President.

If Lowe’s trying to re-create the boys on the bus, he’s running out of time….

1979 – Drafter Messier, Lowe, Anderson (lordy)
    1980 – Coffey, Kurri, Moog (again, lordy)

1981 Beat MTL in the first round of the playoffs

If the clock started on the 2010 Hall selection (with Eberle, PRV and a future defector Shultz already drafted), he’s overdue already.

If you push it back to RNH in 2011, then he’s due to make the playoffs this year.

tick, tick, tick, tick

Woodguy: Listen to the podcast of Oiler’s now from today.

Bob was wwaaaaaaay out there on more thanfew things

Most of this was about 12:30pm ish

200. Minister D- says:

Woodguy,

“Lazy on the play” describes Eberle far too frequently in recent games. Everyone spoke of the ‘leg up’ the Oilers’ kids would have because of their play in the AHL. I don’t know, it seems more like the AHL screwed them up. Seriously. It’s like dominating a beer league all summer, picking up all sorts of shady habits that you can get away with, and then transitioning to competitive hockey and expecting that shit to fly. As Charles Bronson might say, NO DICE.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »