OILERS AT PREDATORS G24 (12-13) 8.3.13

The Oilers had their usual in Detroit: a large humble pie with a giant Cleveland Steamer as a chaser. Taylor Hall looks hurt, Ryan Smyth looks done, and Devan Dubnyk looks abandoned.

hemskyandgagner

The truth is not everyone sucked. Using Michael Parkatti’s work from Boys on the Bus, we get the following SF/SA:

1. Jeff Petry 22-19 +3
  13. Mike Brown 3-11 -8
  14. Chris VandeVelde 2-11 -9
  15. Corey Potter 13-23 -10
  16. Justin Schultz 9-19 -10
  17. Ryan Jones 2-12 -10
  18. Ryan Whitney 12-24 -12

The bottom 6 forwards and two of the three pairings were underwater. Again. Yakupov and Schultz the younger are rookies, and VandeVelde is an AHLer trying to keep up with the pace, but beyond that I see a long list of NHL players who aren’t doing very well. And you can say “well it’s Detroit” but the Red Wings didn’t win with Lidstrom and Fedorov and Holmstrom last night, they won with Kindl, Emmerton and Andersson.

They need to be better than this, and management needs to find help for the top 6 forwards and defense. Dreadful.

ottawa

Send them Mike Brown. I actually like Brown, he certainly gave Tootoo more than he’s gotten from the Oilers in some time and he can skate too. However, the Oilers 4th line needs more savvy overall players and fewer parade makers.

Which brings me to Ryan Smyth. The Oilers were hemmed in last night and the puck landed along the boards maybe three strides from Smyth. Now, I’ve seen Ryan Smyth in that situation maybe 1000 times and because I know what he’s going to do (engage the blueliner who is coming down the wall, take the physical hit to make the play and move the puck to safety) it came as a shock to see him turn off before  making an attempt.

That was hugely disappointing. Seriously. Maybe he was hurt or gassed or maybe he’s no longer able. It filled me with equal parts rage and sadness, as it is clear that Ryan Smyth is no longer part of the solution if he’s going to pick his spots or turn away from his duties.

whitney2

Whitney is playing his final games as a highly paid pro athlete. Whatever his next contract, it’ll have a smaller number attached to it and that’s a damn shame. I wonder if the Oilers are pissed over his decision to have that surgery.

standingmar

If the season ended today, the Oilers would draft 6th overall which puts them in Monahan-Mantha territory. I still think they take Lazar.

dubnyk3

Goaltending isn’t the problem.

If I’m posting Townes Van Zandt songs you know the road trip isn’t going well. This is actually a positive song, if we get deeper into his library that’s a very bad sign.

CUE HOWARD

I’m pissed and disappointed. It was supposed to be different this time. Lidstrom’s gone, Hall’s here. And yet we’re talking about Kindl and Emmerton and Andersson this morning and it’s all happening the same as always.

Cue Howard.

The coach got schooled last night by Mike Babcock, hell that’s going to happen. I don’t think we can blame the coach for the bottom 6 or the lack of quality on the blue, and I don’t think Eager and Petrell drawing in will change one damn thing.

Well, at least Shawn Horcoff should hear one or two cheers the next time he steps onto Rexall ice.

495 Responses to "OILERS AT PREDATORS G24 (12-13) 8.3.13"

« Older Comments
  1. delooper says:

gogliano,

That Columbus game was the battleground state that broke the camels back.

Woot. Avalanche 4-1! Chicago’s big streak is going to die tonight!

2. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909: I’m pretty sure Preds will score.

lol

3. hunter1909 says:

Technically, I require 7 goals against for any game to be considered a whipping.

Khabibulin is probably in the parking lot trying to get someone to run over his foot.

Oilers will be 14th in the conference after tonight, exactly where they ended up last season.

6. VanOil says:

That might have cost Danis the backup job next year, but filling that position is not the biggest challenge in the off season.

7. Spartacus says:

I think I’ll put on my Oilers pajamas and go cry myself to sleep.

8. delooper says:

I’m impressed you all can watch that train-wreck of a game. Colorado is looking like a real NHL hockey team tonight.

9. Clay says:

For any team not named “Oilers”, a game like this, right after a game like last night, would cost some people their jobs.

I honestly thought that, with a motivational speaker for a coach, that “give a shit” wouldn’t be an issue for this team. It may be the biggest issue.

10. VanOil says:

delooper:
    gogliano,

That Columbus game was the battleground state that broke the camels back.

Woot.Avalanche 4-1! Chicago’s big streak is going to die tonight!

Great an angry Chicago is all this team needs to face.

11. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are a sad, sick franchise.

Rotten from top to bottom.

12. delooper says:

5-1!

13. Zack says:

delooper,

I was lucky enough to catch the LAK game where Yak scored with his sick Theo cele. I’ve been busy with school and have had a hard time following the NHL this year and even harder to keep track of the Oil who have been slipping away.

14. Scotty LaDouche says:

I hate to ruin the Nashville fans parade, but we sucked more than they were awesome.

15. delooper says:

VanOil: Great an angry Chicago is all this team needs to face.

It’s probably exactly what this Oilers team needs to face. What was the Oilers-NJ “Mickey Mouse” game score like? I vaguely remember 13-0 or some such ridiculous score.

16. TheOtherJohn says:

Colin Wilson looks like Stan Mikita . 4 points .and he cannot skate

Mike Babcock as GM/President of hockey operations in June

17. VanOil says:

18. uni says:

Well that was a waste of 2.5 hours, I’m sick and bed ridden. What’s everyone else’s excuse?

19. delooper says:

uni:
    Well that was a waste of 2.5 hours, I’m sick and bed ridden.What’s everyone else’s excuse?

I’m writing lecture notes, the Colorado-Chicago game is on, and the only way I’m tracking the Oilers game is via this blog. The blog filter softens the pain.

20. Clay says:

This is an appeal to all of you who live in Edmonton. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop buying tickets to games. Please tell everyone you know to stop buying tickets to games. It is the ONLY way we’ll see any change.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

I stopped watching at 4-0.

I can’t even muster the energy to criticize them anymore.

uni:

I’m preparing tomorrow’s show. I have all the questions typed out, just need to delete all the profanities.

23. VanOil says:

delooper: It’s probably exactly what this Oilers team needs to face.What was the Oilers-NJ “Mickey Mouse” game score like?I vaguely remember 13-0 or some such ridiculous score.

Fair point. A Mickey Mouser to spur change might be a result.

24. OilLeak says:

VanOil: Third over all pick. Choose your poison whatever young man is left over from the Mooseheads will do. Plus 4 forwards for our bottom 6 and 2 deferencemen and we are laughing.

There is still a lot of hockey left for this team to suck at. This team will be last in the league soon enough.

25. bookje says:

HeavySig,

I am ok with what I said, it was in response to Spoiler ‘calling me out’ for not wanting to debate/argue with him. While the tone was belligerent, the level of insult was pretty minimal. He has indicated an admiration for each of the individuals I linked him with and he has made it clear in the past that he has no respect for my fields of study.

With that said, I apologise to him and the entire Oilogosphere for any harm I have caused. You have to forgive me, my hockey team has been having some difficulties lately and it is has me being a bit short tempered and irritable.

26. hags9k says:

Nobody in management will be fired because they are doing their job. I think it’s reasonable to assume Katz’ orders are to remain a bottom feeder one more year. Enjoy the slow death for Seth, losin for Drouin, winnin nuthin for Nathan. Cmon Batman the signal is about as bright and high in the sky as it can be.

27. gogliano says:

I’m thinking of taking all my assets and credit lines and betting on Chicago re: Sunday.

28. delooper says:

The Chicago-Colorado game is good! Chicago is pushing back!

29. Clay says:

I wonder what goes through young Shultz’ head these days?

“…but Mr. Gretzky said it would be awesome!”

30. hunter1909 says:

uni:

I’m hungover from first big night out this year last night, burning and shredding documents.

I really felt like I was going to die this morning.

31. gangplank says:

is it going to be aired from pint or something? can I come and say hello?

1. Zharkov with a goal tonight
    2. Rieder with an assist
    3. Dillon Simpson with an assist
    4. Joey Laleggia with two assists
    5. McCarron with a goal
    6. Ewanyk with an assist
    7. Moroz with a goal and an assist

33. uni says:

It’s okay everyone, just go to your happy place:

“This is another embarrassing performance for us. We have to stay together but we also all have to be accountable.” Ladislav Smid

35. bookje says:

hags9k:
    Nobody in management will be fired because they are doing their job.I think it’s reasonable to assume Katz’ orders are to remain a bottom feeder one more year.Enjoy the slow death for Seth, losin for Drouin, winnin nuthin for Nathan.Cmon Batman the signal is about as bright and high in the sky as it can be.

The problem with this is that I don’t understand the Renney firing.

My bet is that if there is no trade in the near future, Tambellini is fired, but Lowe and MacT remain.

36. uni says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, one day before I’m too old I’m going to have to go out for a night on the town with you. I’ll either end up dead or in Yemen, but I don’t doubt it’ll be interesting.

37. Zelepukin says:

Even though we are beyond horrible right now, I’m glad we aren’t at a Tampa level of frustration yet. We have the same amount of points yet they have the #2 and #4 scorers in the league, Lecavalier and Purcell almost a ppg, the leading scoring rookie, a stud D man and play in the worst conference in the league.

38. bookje says:

1. Zharkov with a goal tonight
    2. Rieder with an assist
    3. Dillon Simpson with an assist
    4. Joey Laleggia with two assists
    5. McCarron with a goal
    6. Ewanyk with an assist
    7. Moroz with a goal and an assist

If they were all on the Oilers, they would have won 7-6 tonight.

39. HiddenDarts says:

Wow. Am I ever glad I avoided watching that stinker.

Fortunately, I caught the FLA-WPG game. Man, that Byfuglien is a stud.

Thinking I might actually reignite my old Jets flame (I’m originally from the ‘Peg). Good team, hilarious coach and easy division.

I’d better start now, before the Oilers make me hate hockey in general :D

40. VanOil says:

Sign him, Fire any 3 he chooses.

41. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

Do not want to piss on your cornflakes but no one in your last post will play 50 games in show

Insult to injury Winnik scores driving to crease in Ducks/Flames game

42. HiddenDarts says:

bookje: If they were all on the Oilers, they would have won 7-6 tonight.

That’s a beauty right there.

43. delooper says:

How do you accomplish that? A group hug that leaves some players smothered?

Rajala and Fedun each had a goal and an assist.

45. bookje says:

VanOil: Sign him, Fire any 3 he chooses.

The really really funny thing about that is I bet it would be totally effective.

46. uni says:

delooper: How do you accomplish that?A group hug that leaves some players smothered?

47. bookje says:

The pain of this is amplified because it has been five games in eight nights. Its a pretty demoralizing hammering.

48. hunter1909 says:

Now Oilers are exactly half way through the 48 game season at 24 games.

Any thoughts?

TheOtherJohn:
    LT

Do not want to piss on your cornflakes but no one in your last postwill play 50 games in show

Insult to injury Winnik scores driving to crease in Ducks/Flames game

Dillon Simpson is going to surprise imo. I wanted Winnik to sign here don’t know if the Oilers looked at him, probably felt they could cruise after getting Petrell signed.

50. bookje says:

uni: As a team you march into Tambellini’s office, hog tie him, and give Scotty Bowman a call?

If they wear an onion on their belt, I don’t want them. A quick look at the advanced stats on Brown showed exactly what he would bring to a team and that is what he brings. Old guys fall for that ‘good in the room’, ‘tough player’ and ‘energy line’ crap. That was great in the 1990′s when everyone was doing that, but I suspect that other teams have adopted more informed approaches to management now and that is one of the reasons that some teams like the Oilers can’t figure it out.

51. delooper says:

hunter1909,

If the rest of their season is more like the first 10 games, I’ll be pretty happy. If it’s more like their 2nd batch of 10 games, I’ll be unhappy with the general trend.

52. hunter1909 says:

bookje: Old guys fall for that ‘good in the room’, ‘tough player’ and ‘energy line’ crap. That was great in the 1990′s when everyone was doing that, but I suspect that other teams have adopted more informed approaches to management now and that is one of the reasons that some teams like the Oilers can’t figure it out.

Your logic has the trajectory of a non-linear form.

It’s relatively cheap and easy to stock up on toughness. It’s incredibly almost impossible to ice a team of skilled, honorable YMCA style gentlemen NHLers. Which you appear to think possible.

I’m a bandwagon leaf fan now, so I’ll offer the Leaf as evidence of a tougher lineup overcoming obstacles such as talent.

53. Southern Oil says:

bookje: I would suggest that if no major trade is made, the team keeps sucking, and there is no change in management, then we should assume the tank is on.

The problem with this is that I don’t understand the Renney firing.

That is exactly what I am afraid of as well. Lowe needs to be included for any restructuring of the front office to have a chance at being successful. I am agnostic about MacT being given the role. I think I would prefer a fresh face from outside. Doesn’t matter though. MacT will take over with Lowe behind him.

54. bookje says:

hunter1909:
    Now Oilers are exactly half way through the 48 game season at 24 games.

Any thoughts?

I wonder what cross country skiing is like – maybe I will give that a try.

I don’t drink enough.

I should probably start wearing my Oilers jersey just around home, for doing oil changes and painting and the such.

I am going to tell my kids to watch pro basketball or pro baseball – some league where an Edmonton pro team might have a chance someday.

Man, I wonder if Daryl Katz will reconsider moving the team to Seattle. I bet we could get an NHL team here someday if he did.

Sometimes you hear about these guys who get hit in the head and lose like 20 years of their memory – that would put me just a year or two after the last Stanley Cup. Where is my hammer?

@DKingBH: Chances last four games: 31-83; 2-14 ST

56. ohhell says:

Introducing:

Alexander Barkov – Center
    September 2nd, 1995 (only a few days from being eligible for the 2014 draft)
    17 yrs old
    6’2″, 205lbs

8th in scoring in the Finish Elite League
    1st in scoring for all players under 24
    52 games, 21 goals, 27 assists, 48 pts, 8 pim, +18

My draft day wish outside of Jones.

57. TheOtherJohn says:

Dillion Simpson has, I m afraid, the possessor of David Musil/Alex Plante feet. Not a good thing.

Winnik is a hard guy to play against

58. delooper says:

bookje: I wonder what cross country skiing is like – maybe I will give that a try.

Edmonton is a lovely place for it. The river valley is endless trails. You can probably ski to work.

59. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

This.

It took the Atlanta Thrashers 9 years to make the playoffs.

So we got two more years of this.

61. Southern Oil says:

Woodguy:
    It took the Atlanta Thrashers 9 years to make the playoffs.

So we got two more years of this.

So basically in 2 years we can make the dance to get blown out 4-0 and then relocate a few years after that? Winnipeg was never so lucky when that fat shit Waddell didn’t go with them.

62. TheOtherJohn says:

WG

Worse: if you asked which track the Oilers are currently on:Pitts/Chicago or Atlanta/NYI I’d tell you it’s the latter.

Or they are such incredibly clever managers they really have been tanking, all evidence to the contrary

63. dawgtoy says:

Jones, Makinnon, or Barkov? When is the lottery again? When is the draft? Could we pick first four years in a row?

64. TheOtherJohn says:

Roszival is a decent RH D, course we didn’t sign him.

We were waiting for the power skating miracle on Whitney’s ankles or were deliberately tanking, again

65. Gerta Rauss says:

dawgtoy,

Sunday June 30 in Jersey-all 7 rounds on one day.

I like Barkov..although if we pick first it would be hard to pass up Jones.

ohhell:
    Introducing:

Alexander Barkov – Center
    September 2nd, 1995 (only a few days from being eligible for the 2014 draft)
    17 yrs old
    6’2″, 205lbs

8th in scoring in the Finish Elite League
    1st in scoring for all players under 24
    52 games, 21 goals, 27 assists, 48 pts, 8 pim, +18

My draft day wish outside of Jones.

Son of pro hockey player
    Finn by birth
    Russian by heritage
    Big
    Can score

I’m in.

Southern Oil: So basically in 2 years we can make the dance to get blown out 4-0 and then relocate a few years after that?Winnipeg was never so lucky when that fat shit Waddell didn’t go with them.

No relocation

Not much else to do in Edmonton in the winter, they’ll always sell tickets and think they are geniuses.

“When you get a score like this and you’re at the tail end of it there’s really no excuses at all.” – Ralph Krueger

69. OilLeak says:

I don’t drink enough.

Man, I wonder if Daryl Katz will reconsider moving the team to Seattle.I bet we could get an NHL team here someday if he did.

Sometimes you hear about these guys who get hit in the head and lose like 20 years of their memory – that would put me just a year or two after the last Stanley Cup.Where is my hammer?

I say yes to the cross country skiing, I picked it up this year and I love it.

70. elgruntus says:

Unlike the Oilers players, I’ve figured out Ralphie’s “gap control”. It’s a system designed to keep the gap between my wallet and my hand at a minimum..

71. uni says:

hunter1909,

The Leafs are riding percentages right now. I expect them to come back down to earth soon, although not as spectacularly as the Oilers.

72. Southern Oil says:

Woodguy: No relocation

I went off on a tangent as I sometimes do. Agreed – we are starting to resemble the Thrashers ineptitude. I was under the impression the only way Waddell kept his job was because:
    1. the owners didn’t care about hockey
    2. they were suing each other and weren’t focused on the on ice product
    At the time, I didn’t think a rational team would keep on this type of GM given the results.

I still hope to be proven correct but am worried. What is going through Katz’s mind at the moment?

73. Smarmy says:

I went to the Blades game instead and forgot about this game until the second intermission and I checked my phone for the score and then I laughed and my co-worker asked me what was funny and I told him and he said. “I’m an Oilers fans” and I said I guess I am too and he said “They fucking suck shit!” and then we bought a beer and watched Nicholls score shorties.

74. Captain Happy says:

uni:
    hunter1909,

The Leafs are riding percentages right now.I expect them to come back down to earth soon, although not as spectacularly as the Oilers.

If they play .500 hockey the rest of the way, they’ll make the playoffs.

75. Rondo says:

It’s not about picking the right player in the draft, Oilers could have the 1st pick for another 5 years they would still lose.

They don’t know how to build a team, they know how to build an all star team.

Daryl when are you going to wake up?

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I was out at a dinner party tonight. only the second game of the season I’ve missed.

I’ve had a great deal of wine. but I’m frankly zen like in response to this 6-0 blow-out. no goals in two games from our “hot young offensive core that ripped it up in the AHL”.

looking good.

can’t wait to get my hands on seth jones so we can ruin his career too.

here’s the pitch: “come to Edmonton! try hard for a year too early, develop bad habits, give up, hate life, become mediocre, finish a middling career elsewhere!”

who wouldn’t bite?!

77. gogliano says:

@DKingBH: Chances last four games: 31-83; 2-14 ST

Crikey.

I wonder what it would look like with all Hall chances for and against taken out.

I think I’m done for the season.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

can we give J. Schultz back to ANA. so he can have a meaningful career?

Isn’t that our job are responsible stewards of this young man?

79. bookje says:

LT – I suspect that you might have some difficulties writing tomorrows post. Please feel free to use the following.

“It’s Saturday the eighth of March and with a high of 2 degrees, it will probably be a great day to spend outside. Maybe try and chip away some of that ice on your sidewalk. Anywho, in other news there is a comet that you can see up in the sky without a telescope just after dusk in Edmonton over the next couple of days – I forget the name, but if you Google comet and Edmonton, you can probably find it. For those of you sports fans, it’s hockey night in Canada and I am sure the Leafs are probably playing someone. Its going to be a nice day for icefishing if you like that kind of thing. Well, that’s about all there is to say today. See you tomorrow.

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the NHL.”

80. Lois Lowe says:

Captain Happy: The Leafs have the most ROW in the entire league and are +10 in goal differential.

Now you’re just making shit up.

81. gogliano says:

Also, this is now the relevant Sports Club Stats thread:

We currently have a 45% shot at being 26-30th. 10% shot at 30th. (Using 50/50 method. Weighted gives 56% and 11%, respectively).

82. Gret99zky says:

The new draft lottery system only gives the 30th place team a 25% chance at winning the first pick. The good news is we won last year with only an 18.8% chance. But compared to the 48% chance we enjoyed the two previous drafts the numbers have essentially been halved.

That is not good news for Lowe and Tambi. They will need to evolve along with the new format.

With the second and third last teams getting an 18.8% and 14.2% chance respectively, I think it’s clear what this management team needs to do during the second half of the season to ensure the franchise stays the course.

Personally, I have faith this organization will deliver another #1 overall draft pick. Reaching the top of the mountain is easy. Staying on top, 4 years in a row, is gut wrenchingly difficult. Pray for us.

83. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Son of pro hockey player
    Finn by birth
    Russian by heritage
    Big
    Can score

I’m in.

Elite Prospects

Barkov is a creative with a very solid overall package and the skill set to compensate for his BELOW-AVERAGE SKATING, making him one of the top prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft.

84. oilersfan says:

Anybody notice what great seasons Souray and Cogliano are having?

Cogliano would look better than our bottom six than, well , anyone in our bottom six.

And as the season goes along, it is more and more apparent that firing Renney made no sense. I am not sure if I am against Krueger or not but the dzone coverage is consistently terrible, and the ozone isnt any better. That being said, since they never get to practice maybe that isn’t really his fault. I wonder what a training camp and a few days off would give.

Not sure if I want Seth Jones or Barkov or Monahan. I am pretty sure I don’t want Drouin or MacKinnon. Too much like what we already have. I am already wondering if the Oilers should have taken Gally over Yak. It is really too bad Galchenyuk missed most of last season. If he had played and had similar stats to Yak I am sure the OIlers would have picked the big, skilled two way player. Not so much unhappy with Yakupov just thinking maybe the other pick would have made more sense.

85. rickithebear says:

When you go back the last 5 seasons.

THe EVen point per season rates of players.

Eberle 43PT

MP-XXX-Eberle

Come back from OYEN:
    960 did the what if:
    instead of hall, RNH, Yakupov
    we took
    Seguin, landeskog, Galchenyuk

most i have talked to would take the later.

Dang it oilersfan started this 1 hour ago!

86. BONVIE says:

TheOtherJohn,

Yeah his Dad wasn’t the fastest skater either yet he is up there with Bossy as one of the two most prolific goal scorers of that era.

87. Bruce McCurdy says:

And they’re 15th in the conference in GD, at -17.

Idle thought, when your GD is GD terrible, does that make it a GDGD?

88. justDOit says:

The most appropriate song I can think of at the moment, courtesy of a one Mr. Zappa:

89. fifthcartel says:

So, that sucked.

90. justDOit says:

fifthcartel,

Two humiliating shut-outs in a row is quite a lot more than ‘sucked’. Making the ‘bad play of the day’ honors on TSN is more than ‘sucked’. We’re going to need some new words if this keeps up for two more games – and there’s no rational argument as to why it won’t.

91. stevezie says:

I don’t want to talk about the OIlers anymore.

By what metric is Ryan Getzlaf an eight million dollar player!?! Oh sorry, 8.25. This is crazier than anything Tambillini has done.

92. fifthcartel says:

justDOit,

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I’m really curious as to what they do, considering the level of animosity brewing within the fans. My guess is little to nothing.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

I raise you:

“You ain’t really made for bein’ out in the street
    Ain’t much hope for a fool like you
    ’cause if you play the game, you will get beat”

94. elgruntus says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

and I’ll see your raise with ..

“can i have my money back, money back, money back,
    Can I have my money back, please sir?”

this musical poker is wayyy more fun than watching the games !

« Older Comments