OILERS AT PREDATORS G24 (12-13) 8.3.13

The Oilers had their usual in Detroit: a large humble pie with a giant Cleveland Steamer as a chaser. Taylor Hall looks hurt, Ryan Smyth looks done, and Devan Dubnyk looks abandoned.

hemskyandgagner

The truth is not everyone sucked. Using Michael Parkatti’s work from Boys on the Bus, we get the following SF/SA:

1. Jeff Petry 22-19 +3
  13. Mike Brown 3-11 -8
  14. Chris VandeVelde 2-11 -9
  15. Corey Potter 13-23 -10
  16. Justin Schultz 9-19 -10
  17. Ryan Jones 2-12 -10
  18. Ryan Whitney 12-24 -12

The bottom 6 forwards and two of the three pairings were underwater. Again. Yakupov and Schultz the younger are rookies, and VandeVelde is an AHLer trying to keep up with the pace, but beyond that I see a long list of NHL players who aren’t doing very well. And you can say “well it’s Detroit” but the Red Wings didn’t win with Lidstrom and Fedorov and Holmstrom last night, they won with Kindl, Emmerton and Andersson.

They need to be better than this, and management needs to find help for the top 6 forwards and defense. Dreadful.

ottawa

Send them Mike Brown. I actually like Brown, he certainly gave Tootoo more than he’s gotten from the Oilers in some time and he can skate too. However, the Oilers 4th line needs more savvy overall players and fewer parade makers.

Which brings me to Ryan Smyth. The Oilers were hemmed in last night and the puck landed along the boards maybe three strides from Smyth. Now, I’ve seen Ryan Smyth in that situation maybe 1000 times and because I know what he’s going to do (engage the blueliner who is coming down the wall, take the physical hit to make the play and move the puck to safety) it came as a shock to see him turn off before  making an attempt.

That was hugely disappointing. Seriously. Maybe he was hurt or gassed or maybe he’s no longer able. It filled me with equal parts rage and sadness, as it is clear that Ryan Smyth is no longer part of the solution if he’s going to pick his spots or turn away from his duties.

whitney2

Whitney is playing his final games as a highly paid pro athlete. Whatever his next contract, it’ll have a smaller number attached to it and that’s a damn shame. I wonder if the Oilers are pissed over his decision to have that surgery.

standingmar

If the season ended today, the Oilers would draft 6th overall which puts them in Monahan-Mantha territory. I still think they take Lazar.

dubnyk3

Goaltending isn’t the problem.

If I’m posting Townes Van Zandt songs you know the road trip isn’t going well. This is actually a positive song, if we get deeper into his library that’s a very bad sign.

CUE HOWARD

I’m pissed and disappointed. It was supposed to be different this time. Lidstrom’s gone, Hall’s here. And yet we’re talking about Kindl and Emmerton and Andersson this morning and it’s all happening the same as always.

Cue Howard.

The coach got schooled last night by Mike Babcock, hell that’s going to happen. I don’t think we can blame the coach for the bottom 6 or the lack of quality on the blue, and I don’t think Eager and Petrell drawing in will change one damn thing.

Well, at least Shawn Horcoff should hear one or two cheers the next time he steps onto Rexall ice.

495 Responses to "OILERS AT PREDATORS G24 (12-13) 8.3.13"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

spoiler,

2. hunter1909 says:

Tonight’s either going to turn out the greatest performance imaginable and a 5+ goal effort, or else they’re content to lie on the mortuary slab until April.

It’s time to shit or get off the pot, Tambellini.

3. VanOil says:

Phillips with OTT just got the Smid 2 min for instigating with a visor penalty. If NHL were to remove this stupid penalty alone visor uptake might increase. NYR should have had the option to decline because they believe in eye safety. Because Torts is all about fair play.

FrankenOil:
    Woodguy,

I would think the AHL guys are doing a good job looking for players – See Arcobello, Deck and getting Cheechoo. My fear is that Tambo doesn’t listen to Bill Scott (the GM) or anyone else down there.

I’m thinking more a Pisani type.

A guy in the AHL who is killing possession numbers, but for whatever reason is being overlooked.

It happens sometimes.

5. spoiler says:

I used to think Coffey and Gretzky were too good to trade. And then economics happened.

6. hunter1909 says:

VanOil,

Torts was asking the press to tell him the over/under of when he gets fired this week. Torts has bigger fish to fry, and come to think of it he’d be the perfect coach for the vets, so I say split coaching up and give the slacker vets a special coach in the mold of Tororella/Keenan’s slavedriver schtick, and a nice touchy feely Kreuger for the youngsters.

Because if I were the coach I’d bag skate the vets asap. And let the kids have the day off to go to some Donald trump type reward, like meeting Jay-Z at his studio lol.

7. spoiler says:

DBO: spoiler, That is a solid 3 for 1 deal to a team that has money issues. Doubt the league does it, but if you did offer our 1st with Harsky and Marincin? Do we do it? Do they? Would love OEL on this team.

8. DBO says:

spoiler:
    I used to think Coffey and Gretzky were too good to trade.

sadness

9. DBO says:

spoiler: I think it would end up at something like Hemky + 2013 1st, but I would be trying to find a lower price point.

I just wonder about money being the driving factor. If it’s that OEL wants out then I would expect more of a Gagner, especially if he continues to put up these kind of offensive numbers.

10. hunter1909 says:

I hate to say this but I hope they figure out a way to lose Gagner for value. The thought of him sucking up another huge contract sends shivers down my spine.

11. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909: If it’s that OEL wants out then I would expect more of a Gagner, especially if he continues to put up these kind of offensive numbers.

That’s a perfect trade for both sides.

: p

12. spoiler says:

Brad May puts Oilers in the Perry sweepstakes. I don’t see it.

13. VanOil says:

Agreed, but since they are in Nashville tonight, Taylor Swifts house party might peak the boy’s interest!

14. DBO says:

hunter1909: That’s a perfect trade for both sides.

: p

Straight up sure for us. No way for Phoenix. I wonder if the 1st and Gagner would work and would we do it? Or would you more Yakupov for OEL? #1 D for #2 RW?

spoiler,

US economy is roaring back to life.

added 250,000 jobs in January.

Unemployment at 7.7%, Canada is at 7%.

The spot market in lumber it ridiculous right now.

16. Hayek says:

Woodguy,

17. hunter1909 says:

Incredibly better than anything the OIlers provide Preds opening broadcast.

18. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    Incredibly better than anything the OIlers provide Preds opening broadcast.

Terry Crisp sounds like an old Pro Wrestling broadcaster, not that that is a bad thing.

19. geeker99 says:

Just want an effort tonight. In the words of Ryan Smyth “work ethic” We usually play the preds tough. Fridge is full of lots of anti-depressants.

20. spoiler says:

Woodguy: spoiler, There must be other teams where this can be exploited. Florida was certainly hurt by the Bergenheim ruling (again as per Friedman), and other smaller market US teams treading water in the crumbling US economy are probably in the same boatUS economy is roaring back to life.added 250,000 jobs in January.Unemployment at 7.7%, Canada is at 7%.Building materials are always an early indicator of economic direction and they are going up daily.The spot market in lumber it ridiculous right now.

LOL. Full time jobs are actually less than a year ago and that was at a cost of $85B a month of Fed hot money injection. The unemployment rate is only where it is because of an all time historical record drop in the labour participation rate. New housing starts for the ENTIRE country in December was a measly 10,000. The foreclosure channel is stuffed for at least another 2 years. The DOW reflects the hot money injections. Detroit was just made a ward of the state. CAlifornia is in deep deep trouble… Call me when they stop monetizing their debt and interest rates can make it off their ridiculous level and I’ll believe you

Hayek:
    Woodguy,

Sorry, won’t comment past this because this is a hockey blog.US job numbers are just initial estimates, they constantly get revised at end of year.Unemployment is down, but that is because of people leaving the labour force.The labour participation rate is down to over 30 year lows.Increases of food stamps, and people claiming disability in the US are at all time highs.

US economy is not roaring back to life.Just like hockey statistics, having poor knowledge of what numbers mean can lead to gross misinterpretations.

I’ve sold lumber through the last two downturns.

Its an early indicator and its going up daily.

22. Hayek says:

spoiler: LOL.Full time jobs are actually less than a year ago and that was at a cost of $85B a month of Fed hot money injection. The unemployment rate is only where it is because of an all time historical record drop in the labour participation rate. New housing starts for the ENTIRE country in December was a measly 10,000.The foreclosure channel is stuffed for at least another 2 years.The DOW reflects the hot money injections. Detroit was just made a ward of the state. CAlifornia is in deep deep trouble…Call me when they stop monetizing their debt and interest rates can make it off their ridiculous level and I’ll believe you

We need to be friends, lol

23. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Agree with Woodguy, the US economy is slowly but surely recovering.

24. fuzzy muppet says:

Terrible play by Smyth

25. spoiler says:

Hayek: Woodguy, Sorry, won’t comment past this because this is a hockey blog. US job numbers are just initial estimates, they constantly get revised at end of year. Unemployment is down, but that is because of people leaving the labour force. The labour participation rate is down to over 30 year lows. Increases of food stamps, and people claiming disability in the US are at all time highs.US economy is not roaring back to life. Just like hockey statistics, having poor knowledge of what numbers mean can lead to gross misinterpretations.

This.

And that’s the problem with Central Bank monetization… it deceives people and businesses into misallocating their capital.

26. hunter1909 says:

Whitney and Smid are awesome.

27. delooper says:

Anyone watching Chicago’s game tonight? I want to watch them just to see what it’ll take to stop their streak.

28. hunter1909 says:

Petrell lol, what a shitty player.

Less than 5 minutes in and my prediction is still holding 0-0, but the Oilers aren’t really in it whatsoever.

29. Hayek says:

spoiler: This.

30. Southern Oil says:

I was all set to watch the game tonight. can’t remember the last time I missed one. But I am blacked out on Game Center. What a load of crap. All because I live in Atlanta? Really?

Watch them win tonight too!

31. leadfarmer says:

delooper,

Probably not Colorado.

I like how Theo is no where near the guys in front of the net, then pushes one after he scores.

Can’t blame Dubnyk on that goal. Lotta yellow in front of that net. Brown sure fights a lot.

34. Hayek says:

So why exactly is Brown fighting here? Because they scored on us? What a loser.

35. geeker99 says:

love Brown, we need 20 of him

36. spoiler says:

Hayek: I find this conversation more exciting than the hockey game. But to be fair, I’d probably feel the same way even if the Oilers were playing amazing. Slightly sad.

I live, eat and breathe the stuff too. Spend way more time on it than hockey.

STACK! lol.

We need a good Canadian blog on this stuff though.

37. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909: I’ll prognosticate a 0-0 tie until Nashville score 2-12 minutes in, then game over for the plucky Oilers.

Who’d have thought it possible?

Brown’s great fun – providing Sean Brown style entertainment for us old school fans. Tough SOB, isn’t he?

38. Hayek says:

What was Belanger even doing out there. Just in no man’s land the last 10 seconds. Although he was not the cause of that goal.

39. spoiler says:

Here’s a picture of the “recovering” US economy, and then I will let this go…

spoiler: This.

Increases are sticking too.

Increases never stick unless the demand is there.

Lumber commodities are pure supply/demand.

Its going up.

41. Hayek says:

Isn’t it pathetic how Debrusk will devote more attention to analyzing fights than analyzing goals scored against us?

42. VanOil says:

Hayek:
    So exactly is Brown fighting here?Because they scored on us?What a loser.

But this is smart fighting because he is not responding to a cheap hit (so no instigator) and is not wearing a visor (so no instigating with a visor). He may well be the cerebral assassin! to bad about the hockey thing

43. hunter1909 says:

Too bad that Brown fight wasn’t in the 1st minute.

Now I want Tambellini to go Paul Newman and collect evey goon he can lay his hands on.

Yes, anti-fighting Oiler fans, you don’t need goons when you have skilled clean players, which I happen to like myself.

But these players are hard to find, while goons are plentiful, and can fuck up the opposition every game instead; letting some of us suffering fans relief from watching the young kids getting killed.

spoiler:
    Here’s a picture of the “recovering” US economy, and then I will let this go…

And in the next quarter you’ll see the uptick.

45. SK Oiler Fan says:

Brown put more effort into that fight than any of the Oiler hockey in the past few games. Not going to matter as all I see are yellow jerseys camping out in front of DD for free.

46. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I’ve also taken price increases from every US vendor including giants like Shaw.Increases are sticking too.Increases never stick unless the demand is there.I understand the being skeptical of unemployment numbers, but the fundamentals are going up and they never go up unless the demand is there.Lumber commodities are pure supply/demand.Hardwood lumber mills that have been mothballed for 4 years are starting back up.I even know of brand new mills starting and that kind of capital investment has been missing since 09.Its going up.

You’re going to be very disappointed. Sorry. The fundamentals just aren’t there. And the banks can kill any housing recovery at any time by opening up the foreclosure channel, which they will if there’s any kind of price lift.

47. russ99 says:

You’ll know the US economy is getting better when they raise the interest rates.

Sadly that should have been done about 3 years ago, but they’ve tried to game a basic law of capitalism – when there are winners, there has to be losers.

Steve Tambellini’s Oilers: Badly caught out of position on the PK, but boy, howdy that was a nice fight…

48. spoiler says:

Woodguy: And in the next quarter you’ll see the uptick.

That chart needs a heckuva lot more than a tick.

49. Hayek says:

Increases are sticking too.

Increases never stick unless the demand is there.

Lumber commodities are pure supply/demand.

Its going up.

You are speaking of one commodity. Maybe it’s true one commodity such as lumber is increasing. You must realize in the US, they use this wacky hedonic function to adjust for inflation over the past 15 years which understates inflation by conventional methods. Real GDP is barely increasing, just nominal GDP due to massive amounts of printing money better known as quantitative easing (increasing the federal reserve balance sheet)

US labout participation has decreased massively. The federal gov’t and state gov’ts have artifically inflated aggregate demand through massive deficit spending. This is not sustainable and has caused way too much investment in risky assets (a bubble forming).

Did you realize, even with unemployed, there is the same number of unemployed now, as in 2008. And this is with population increases, and a massive shrinking of those who are considered in the labor force.

People tend to look too much to nominal stock market values for an approximation for the state of the economy.

Sorry for distracting from Oilers talk, but they are really stinking.

50. leadfarmer says:

spoiler,

51. hunter1909 says:

Billy Bob Thornton’s going make a killer Bucky when Katz brings out his Oilers movie. Any ideas who can star in it?

52. BlacqueJacque says:

So I just tuned in to be told the shots are 9 to 1 in favor of Nashville.

#FireMacTambLowe #Oilers

I really want to get a “Fire Lowe” chant at the first home game.

53. russ99 says:

hunter1909,

Barry Manilow as Daryl Katz

54. hunter1909 says:

Robin Williams plays coach Kreuger.

spoiler: That chart needs a heckuva lot more than a tick.

I get it what you are saying.

56. Lucinius says:

Gagner has time to line up the pass.. and it ends up on a Predator stick in the slot.

Oilers NEED Passing 101 lessons.

Where’s Slats when you need him. Oh, yeah.

57. hunter1909 says:

russ99:
    hunter1909,

Barry Manilow as Daryl Katz

LMAO Fucking A.

58. spoiler says:

leadfarmer: spoiler, Housing market has also picked up well in the last 8 months. Things are improving despite gridlock and uncertainty at the government level.

10,000 new housing starts in all of the US in December. Less full time jobs now than one year ago despite record government spending and the Fed blowing the money supply wide open (actually because, not despite but that’s a bedtime story for another day). That’s not an improvement on any level.

Rajala (Fedun)

60. Lucinius says:

Oilers on pace for ten shots this game. Wee?

61. Rebilled says:

Last night Oilers highlight: Mike Brown fight

Tonight: so far, Mike Brown fight

Not saying these are good things.

and now Mike Brown has 33% of our shots.

62. Hayek says:

Wow, Debrusk makes a fair point. Picking up Boychuk has upside, picking up Brown is retarded.

63. VanOil says:

Hayek,

In WG’s defense shipping volumes are also up, both globally and in the US. This is a good indicator of confidence in both companies and consumers. Yes, money supply is distorting prices. But if companies are confident enough to import more to sell regardless of price the real economy is likely improving. People are not buying more lumber because money is cheap, they are buying it to build things.

64. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I get it what you are saying.I am talking daily to vendors all over the US and business is good and expanding in many, not all, areas.Building materials commodities have always been an early indicator, if you are an economist you know that, and they are up and up.

In this case they’re an early indication of misallocation. There is nothing sustainable about what is happening in the US. Commodity increases, by the way, in an era of monetization is an indication of inflation finding its way out of the government bond market and into the real economy. That is a self-defeating cycle.

65. bookje says:

Woodguy,

66. hunter1909 says:

Preds better not go into the dressing room with only a 1 goal lead.

PS: That’s just total horseshit.

67. Kris11 says:

RE: Economics

1. IIRC Spoiler is a crazy Ron Paul, gold bug, Austrian school type. They’re like Rob Schremp supporters in the econ world.. :)

2. The whole US economy doesn’t have to improve for hockey related revenues boom. Poor people don’t go the games. Just the upper-middle class. And the economy for people who have money here in the US is already booming. DOW is at all-time highs. Lots of wealthy people have used low interest rates to refi and now have more disposable income. etc., etc. Ticket prices in the US will go up and demand will be there for expensive entertainment.

Khaira and McCarron with assists tonight for Michigan Tech and Cornell, respectively

69. Hayek says:

spoiler,

You sound like you follow the Austrian School. Have you been educated in Austrian economics formally by any chance?

70. Hayek says:

Kris11:
    RE: Economics

DOW is only at all time highs in nominal terms. In constant dollars, it is far from all time highs.

71. hunter1909 says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

THAT goal hurts.

73. BlacqueJacque says:

Dubey… dude…. dammit.

#FireMacTambLowe #Oilers

74. spoiler says:

bookje: Woodguy, WG – When you are done arguing economics with Spoiler, you might want to find a born again Christian to argue about the age of the earth, evolution, or the existence of God.

Can’t form a real argument and you have to resort to this shit?

True colours, I guess.

75. Lucinius says:

………………………….

76. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s your goaltender of the future….

this is a new low

spoiler: 10,000 new housing starts in all of the US in December.Less full time jobs now than one year ago despite record government spending and the Fed blowing the money supply wide open(actually because, not despite but that’s a bedtime story for another day). That’s not an improvement on any level.

US housing start data:

78. hunter1909 says:

lol @ celebrating with Gary Glitter.

79. VanOil says:

That brings back memories of Grant Fuhr. Those 100+ footers used to stump him too.

80. Hayek says:

Not like this road trip should mean anything, because we were heavily expected to lose a lot of games. But any chance ownership decides to give up on Tambellini now? Or is that something if done happens at the end of the season?

81. russ99 says:

Wow. Just brutal…

Getting to the point of wanting the collapse to further spiral downward so entrenched heads roll and we can get one of the top 3 picks.

Sure the schedule is brutal with no Eastern Conference creampuffs, but I really didn’t think we’d be back here again.

82. Hayek says:

Woodguy,

You realize those are seasonally adjusted numbers right? And that the adjustment is abnormally high these past 2 statements. Raw data isn’t all that great. It only seems even bearable comparing to numbers after 2008.

83. dessert1111 says:

I hope we see Danis now. There needs to be accountability thruout the team and that goal is simply unacceptable by any NHL goalie. I don’t care if he made some good saves in the period, that’s horseshit, that can’t happen.

84. Clarence Oveur says:

Nice one, Dubey. Real fucking nice.

85. Lucinius says:

The worst thing about the Oilers is they have some players that you just want to watch. For me, I love watching Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smid, the Wunderkids… but at times I want to never see another Oiler game for as long as I live.

This team is like a nutpunch from an attractive woman. Painful, embarrassing.. and the closest you’ll ever get to sealing the deal.

86. Kris11 says:

All time DOW adjusted for inflation would be about 15,000, which was back in 2000, during the bubble. We are headed back up pretty fast. All time high now, headed for all time, adjusted for inflation high.

Also, S&P is the better indicator, of course. DOW is a sign of real growth in the wealth of the wealthy and upper-middle class who are doing fine and better every day. And they buy the tickets at the arena and especially season tickets.

87. Hayek says:

Woodguy,

Check out this link that explains a bit of what I am talking about in a fairly simple explanation:

88. TartanArmy says:

How often has Dubnyk let 1 in like that? I can’t think of one time, it happens.

89. Clarence Oveur says:

Your 2013 Edmonton Oilers, brought to you exclusively by “Yakety Sax”

90. VanOil says:

Good news, Khaira’s hands are surprising me. I hope they are nurtured in college then refined in the AHL. Only 4 short years from now he could be my favorite rookie! Ahh, the life of an Oiler fan.

91. Rebilled says:

Classic.

92. Hayek says:

Kris11,

They are both terrible indicators. Especially since due to zero interest rate policy, people are forced to invest in risk assets because they get negative real returns investing in bonds.

93. VanOil says:

Clarence Oveur: Yakety Sax

Our new theme song!

94. gogliano says:

Increases are sticking too.

Increases never stick unless the demand is there.

Lumber commodities are pure supply/demand.

Its going up.

You’re extrapolating from an industry that was front and center of one of the biggest financial collapses in U.S. history. An increase from such depths doesn’t tell us enough.

Unemployment is still a mess (the Canadian rate is calculated differently so the gap is much more stark) and there is still no solution to the oncoming retirement of the boomers. I’m generally bullish on the US as a rule and fracking is a huge boon but we aren’t close to righting the ship yet.

95. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: Only 4 short years from now he could be my favorite rookie!

Yeah I remember following Marc Antoine Pouliot in the Q.

May your fave prospect make it to the show without major injury.

96. DBO says:

VanOil,

4 yeras? you know they will try and bring him out in 2 years max to play AHL and in nhl by 21

97. geeker99 says:

question, can the kids go back down to OKC for a playoff run? anyone

98. bookje says:

spoiler: Can’t form a real argument and you have to resort to this shit?

True colours, I guess.

You’ve declared your disdain for New Institutional Economic and Behavioural Economic in the past without every engaging in the discussion other than calling it all Keynesian Bullshit. That alone told me that you had no clue of economics beyond Econ 101 (maybe 201) as they are in no way related to Keynesianism. You have professed your admiration for Ron Paul and Alex Jones both of whom Hayek would have called ill informed right wing lunitics I would suspect.

You are dogmatic right wing Ayn Rand devotee and I see absolutely no use in debating or arguing with you on something for which you don’t have the slightest inclination to absorb any new information on – hence the reference to born again Christians and evolution – facts don’t matter. There is no reason to argue because there is simply no reason to the argument.

So, I will happily discuss and debate hockey with you, but I have no interest in banging my head on a brick wall debating economics with you.

Have fun Woodguy.

99. hunter1909 says:

DBO,

Shh. Don’t let them know management will have figured out how to rush this kid like everyone else before him.

Hayek:
    Woodguy,

You realize those are seasonally adjusted numbers right?And that the adjustment is abnormally high these past 2 statements.Raw data isn’t all that great.It only seems even bearable comparing to numbers after 2008.

But that’s the point.

Its better than the past few years, but 2008 was the end of superheated debt fueled building and there needed to be a huge correction.

January is 35% over last January.

Does that mean its at 2008 levels?

It does mean its up over last year and that’s an upward trend.

The increases have been coming fast and furious in Feb and Mar.

When you see that data you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Rising building material prices don’t lie.

101. Lucinius says:

Okay, you know the Oilers are bad when ECONOMICS takes center stage.

102. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

Gentlemen. This is the War Room.

103. hunter1909 says:

Lucinius:
    Okay, you know the Oilers are bad when ECONOMICS takes center stage.

And the arguments turn on a hair into religious bigotry…

104. Clarence Oveur says:

hunter1909,

Next up: how someone’s probably a Nazi

105. VanOil says:

I am no where near drunk enough, I might remember this.

106. Hayek says:

Woodguy,

I don’t believe you are necessarily wrong, but you likely just don’t see the big picture. Not saying I am necessarily right either, but with such a limited view to one leading indicator, it doesn’t tell a big enough picture. Oh by the way, I’m not some cook, I have degrees in finance and economics. But maybe I’ll just stop arguing here, and this is not the right forum for it. Go Preds!

107. Clarence Oveur says:

Wow Nuge, that was some piss-poor coverage in front.

108. hunter1909 says:

gogliano: there is still no solution to the oncoming retirement of the boomers

109. Southern Oil says:

I hope the Preds win this thing by about 8 goals. That probably won’t bring any changes though.

110. DBO says:

so ugly. while Rome burns…….

Hayek:
    Woodguy,

I don’t believe you are necessarily wrong, but you likely just don’t see the big picture.Not saying I am necessarily right either, but with such a limited view to one leading indicator, it doesn’t tell a big enough picture.Oh by the way, I’m not some cook, I have degrees in finance and economics.But maybe I’ll just stop arguing here, and this is not the right forum for it.Go Preds!

You’re probably right.

What I’m exposed to daily tells me things are steaming along well in many spots.

Colors the rest of it for me.

112. Kris11 says:

bookje,

I agree with Bookjie on this one.

There is no point in debating someone with Austrian views. Its like debating Truthers, Birthers, or Schrempers or people who still refuse to believe in the heliocentric model of the solar system.

Let’s stop and stick to gouging our eyes out with sporks while we watch the game.

113. Hayek says:

DBO:
    so ugly. while Rome burns…….

When we were Rome? Not since 1990 at least?

114. BlacqueJacque says:

Hayek,

Hayek!

How long have you been posting here? I always loved your comments on ON, back when I was there.

Are you cheering for the Preds to #FireMacTambLowe maybe? :) (please?)

115. Hayek says:

Woodguy: You’re probably right.

Colors the rest of it for me.

By the way, don’t mean to offend you in any way. i really enjoy your hockey posts, even on the other blogs. It’s great you are part of the Oilers community

116. Kris11 says:

hunter1909: And the arguments turn on a hair into religious bigotry…

Only a dirty Zoroastrian would say that. Get out you Zarathustra-lover, you. Go back to loving your pal Mazda.

117. VanOil says:

I am thinking of dropping Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir shots into my Belgium beer. The worlds most pretentious depth charge. I will call it the PineSol and hope it cleans Oil(ers) from the mind.

118. gogliano says:

hunter1909: Sure there is. They eventually all die. Irregardless of whether “irregardless” is a real word, or not.

Not before taxing their student debt ridden children to death.

I was thinking in the DET game something along the lines of “at least this team is better than last year.” I’m not so sure any more. I think the #1 line is playing hurt and without Hemsky there isn’t much left after that.

Last year we had Cam Barker but this year we have Ryan Whitney.

119. hunter1909 says:

Preds are going to kill these Oilers after watching Peckham’s insane timing hit.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see one or more of Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov going out on a stretcher.

120. DBO says:

Hayek,

It took decades for Rome to erode, through nepotism and bloated fat cats who protected their friends and blamed others for Rome’s issues. That is management for the Oilers.

121. Hayek says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Hayek,

Hayek!

How long have you been posting here?I always loved your comments on ON, back when I was there.

Are you cheering for the Preds to #FireMacTambLowe maybe? (please?)

Thanks. It feels so dirty to post there because not too sound too elitist, but there are too many retards in that herd, which sway the conversation to some really asinine comments.

I dunno, I don’t really care about the Oilers now. Since playoffs are out of reach, I’d rather we tank, and hoopefully that results in new management. And I don’t really blame management this season, as we are improving on pace. But dumb moves like 3rd and 4th for Fistric and Brown I hated, and Gilbert for Schultz angered me to no end.

122. Clarence Oveur says:

At least Teddy Peckman seems to get it: fuck running the plug who just dummied your star player, go run one of their stars. Sends more of a message.

123. hunter1909 says:

GORGEOUS women at the Preds game.

Oh Geez, then they show some whale tossing a hockey puck.

124. Hayek says:

DBO,

Lol, well said

125. DBO says:

hunter1909:

If we were ever to ice a lineup that can handle it, it is this one. If the Preds run our show, then all this talk of making us tougher is useless.

126. VanOil says:

Mason’s beard on the Nashville bench is epic.

127. squeezboks says:

How the hell is that not 2 and 2 for Gaustad? Instigator plus instigator w/ visor? Weak.

128. VanOil says:

OKC 2-1 Arcobello scores SH

129. delooper says:

After spotting Nashville a 3-0 lead, the Oilers are showing flashes of non-incompetence.

130. hunter1909 says:

This 2013 Oilers team is not going to get better by management inaction. it will blow forever, and ever, and ever unless someone for the love of competence replaces …and …and…

131. hunter1909 says:

And to think, we’re only at the halfway point! So much exciting Oiler’s hockey to see!

Hayek: By the way, don’t mean to offend you in any way.i really enjoy your hockey posts, even on the other blogs.It’s great you are part of the Oilers community

I’m not offended at all.

I get called full of shit multiple times a day.

Sometimes they’re right.

I don’t always know when they’re right.

No one is the burning bush and healthy debate is fun.

Thanks for the kind words.

133. delooper says:

hunter1909,

If the Oilers get the next three first overalls, and draft at least two d-men they might be alright…

134. hunter1909 says:

This game suddenly has real potential.

135. uni says:

“6th overall which puts them in Monahan-Mantha territory.”

For some reason I thought Mon Mothma and got a chuckle. Sadly this is the most entertaining thing about this game so far.

136. hunter1909 says:

Whitney can do that move at my martial art class every day of the week.

137. DBO says:

they have settled down a bit. brown pk, well done

138. hunter1909 says:

I wonder if the kids are on strike?

139. delooper says:

Brown has been one of the better Oilers tonight. I imagine most games if that’s said, the Oilers are going to be down n-0 for n large.

140. hunter1909 says:

Lets start a poll, which former Oilers coach we’d secretly love to replace Kreuger. If we could like, try our fave out for a game or two and put Kreuger back if it goes badly.

I vote for OTC.

Others: MacT, Renney.

141. DBO says:

Ryan Smyth is just kinda in the way like an old dude at the movies. Just saying

142. hunter1909 says:

Maybe the team feels sorry for Ryan Whitney, so they’re purposely playing worse to make Whitney look better.

143. VanOil says:

PineSol’s are disgusting. I mean even worse than watching Oilers hockey right now, Yuk. I was seduced into buying Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir by sampling it after a particularly excellent meal from one of my favorite chefs tom douglas. The Seattle restauranter not the prairie socialist.

Nice prize there Terry (you watching the Nashville feed will get this)

144. hunter1909 says:

I’m really wondering how Nashville Tennessee, which pretty well is posh redneck country has a perfect NHL franchise… I’ll let the Lowetide bloggers work out the rest of this sentence, as alternative to watching the 4-0 game.

145. hunter1909 says:

I’ll bet Lowe and Bucky have something wonderful planned for Mr. Katz.

146. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909,

Right now I want to see Pat Quinn.

Solely for the post-game.

#FireMacTambLowe #Oilers

147. hunter1909 says:

I wonder if the fans will start chanting “USA USA” if the score keeps mounting.

Well this is the Oakland Seals here, kind of cool to have the mustard uni team doing it. The Oilers have given up.

149. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Me too. More for the suits though.

150. hunter1909 says:

Oakland never drafted Guy Lafleur either.

151. delooper says:

A 1984-epoch Sather or Muckler would be lovely.

152. squeezboks says:

Here comes 20 min of neutral zone trap.

153. unca miltie says:

was at the brier all day. Great game this morning between Gushue and Martin. just tuned to Oilers game..4 zip..back to curling me thinks

154. hunter1909 says:

Speaking of the habs, I’m planning to be on both the Canadiens and Leafs bandwagons in the playoffs, if both make it.

155. uni says:

At this rate there’s going to be a new ‘Oilers rule’ only it’ll be related to the draft and it’ll limit the number of consecutive 1st overall picks you can get.

156. bookje says:

The Oilers have given up on management the same way the Flames did on Daryl Sutter. It took about a year and a couple of months for Sutter to be fired – I wonder if it will take as long for the Oilers.

The reality is that the kids are tired of losing seasons. They don’t buy into any effort to take a dive this year. I am not saying they are doing it on purpose, but the heart has fully left this team. They don’t care because they believe it is hopeless.

There are two paths forwards. The current management makes a big trade, probably giving up a future asset (#1 pick in 2014) and things get better (at least for while)

or,

Ralph Kueger is fired and the team continues to play poorly and then the management is fired this summer after the team gets a top pick, but before the draft.

157. hunter1909 says:

unca miltie: was at the brier all day

I can’t honestly imagine the Green Bay Packers playing 4 straight NFL games on the road, just to accommodate something as silly as curling; which is what the Oilers meekly agree to do.

Nothing particular against curling, btw.

158. Danenbaum says:

Can you recall, over the past 6-7 years, the Oilers playing a stretch of lifeless hockey this long? I know it’s always worse in the moment, but this is honestly as bad as I can ever remember it being.

159. VanOil says:

What is the record for a team to go with out scoring the Al Gore is transforming ala DMW on me. Maybe the PineSol is working.

160. hunter1909 says:

Got to love those Pred announcers. Both look like former players, no idea who they are.

161. Gret99zky says:

Time to get deeper into the Townes Van Zandt library yet, LT?

BTW, I approve of the angry LT. Not a fan of artificial sweeteners.

162. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909,

A great point in favor of keeping Northlands! Fuck you, Canadian Finals Allergio!

#FireMacTambLowe #Oilers

163. hunter1909 says:

I’m lucky. I can enjoy this.

Using Shining-Logic, this situation has degenerated, or been elevated to a higher plane or something.

164. hunter1909 says:

Preds coaches are scary guys.

165. HeavySig says:

bookje: You’ve declared your disdain for New Institutional Economic and Behavioural Economic in the past without every engaging in the discussion other than calling it all Keynesian Bullshit.That alone told me that you had no clue of economics beyond Econ 101 (maybe 201) as they are in no way related to Keynesianism.You have professed your admiration for Ron Paul and Alex Jones both of whom Hayek would have called ill informed right wing lunitics I would suspect.

You are dogmatic right wing Ayn Rand devotee and I see absolutely no use in debating or arguing with you on something for which you don’t have the slightest inclination to absorb any new information on – hence the reference to born again Christians and evolution – facts don’t matter.There is no reason to argue because there is simply no reason to the argument.

Have fun Woodguy.

I usually enjoy bookjie’s posts and find them creative and intelligent, but this is just plain nasty and rude, something that would be frowned upon here if it was a hockey related subject. If you don’t want to debate someone, fine, but dismissive, drive-by insults say more about you than they do about Spoiler.

When this blog turns to politics or religion, it always drags it down for me, and this debacle of a team already does that enough. Whether we agree with Spoiler or Woodguy on the state of the US economy, the topic hadn’t gotten personal between anybody until this. I respect both of these guy’s views a lot and understand that perspectives can differ for good reasons.

166. hunter1909 says:

Anyone else seen the Pred associate coach, using strange(to Oilers) words like responsibility?

167. VanOil says:

hunter1909:

Crippy even coached the Flames which might be why he sounds like Ed Whalen

168. hunter1909 says:

HeavySig,

Just bang their heads together.

Danenbaum:

One of the things about the rebuild that began in 2010 (2.0) was that it gave management something of a clean slate. Rebuilds take time, you need to build your team up. I think that 2010-11 wasn’t a surprise 2011-12 was kind of the end of the line for suckage tolerance.

And now we’re here. The Oilers can’t just roll out the usual “we like this group” and “this is a build we’re doing right” because any fool can count the days from the Pittsburgh and Chicago rebuilds and find out when they turned the corner.

And of course it goes for Nuge and Yak, too. The Oilers owe it to these kids to build around them. Why should Taylor Hall give up his shoulders and knees and the best years of his life for a bunch of guys who can’t find good role players?

That’s the EASY part. Shame on them.

170. unca miltie says:

hunter1909: I can’t honestly imagine the Green Bay Packers playing 4 straight NFL games on the road, just to accommodatesomething as silly as curling; which is what the Oilers meekly agree to do.

Nothing particular against curling, btw.

The best two events in Northlands the last 15 months have been the world juniors and the brier..got to go to both..
    nothing in particular against the Oilers. Actually feel sorry for the young lads

171. 42 percent body fat says:

they’re still shitty

172. Clay says:

I hope those rumours of Tambo bringing in Jason Chimera are true. We sure could use his offensive production.

173. VanOil says:

Lowetide: O sure the Oilers have been this dreadful before. However, they are in the third year of Taylor Hall’s career and that’s the difference.
    Shame on them.

Please tell me you have Kevin Lowe as your guest on the radio tomorrow. It would make my weekend and be ratings gold.

174. delooper says:

HeavySig,

Meh, Bookie will say what needs to be said when it needs to be said, provided nobody else has said it. People shouldn’t tolerate Libertarians, they’re immature and a drag on society much like how communists were in the 60′s through 80′s.

175. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: The Oilers are going to wake up one day soon and be facing a trade request from Taylor Hall. Who can blame him? This is horrible, making a kid with his pedigree crawl through the muck like this.

Shame on them.

Totally, totally agree.

176. hunter1909 says:

About to start the fourth quarter. 5-0 up.

177. delooper says:

Colorado has a shot at sticking it to Chicago tonight.

178. delooper says:

5-0!

179. VanOil says:

Wilson is not Crosby, but we can make him look like Crosby

180. hunter1909 says:

Okay, but why not play a big body like MPS with Gagner?

181. hunter1909 says:

RNH/Hall/Eberle:

“The Entitlement Line”

182. VanOil says:

If this was a home game, and I was the owner, I would bench the whole team and ice the “ice girls” for the rest of the game.

183. BlacqueJacque says:

I keep thinking to myself “I should stop adding #FireMacTambLowe #Oilers” to my posts, because that’s really obnoxious.

But then I realize, I’m right.

Lose to the Blue Jackets, get blown out and shut out by the Wings and Preds? In the year that according to their own schedule they should be competing for a playoff spot? And if you take the rebuild back to Gagner, shouldn’t they have a Pittsburgh-in-the-playoffs situation here?

#FireMacTambLowe #Oilers

(we’ll see if it lasts. I’m trying to make it a thing. Anyone else wanna chant “Fire Lowe” with me at the first home game if it ends predictably?)

That Hall play just now was either:

1. Hall being stupid
    2. Hall showing up someone
    3. Hall showing frustration

185. ashley says:

This is why you split up the first line. It’s too easy to coach against a team with one good line, especially at thome.

RNH with just about anyone on the roster would be a second good line. I believe he is the straw that stirs, not the beloved Taylor Hall.

Defense is bad too, but we knew that already going into this season.

186. delooper says:

Colorado 3, Chicago 1! Woot! You’re all watching the wrong game.

187. hunter1909 says:

Hotties.

188. hunter1909 says:

Re Clowns: Were those Oiler fans or Lowe and Tambellini?

189. uni says:

hunter1909,

It doesn’t matter if they play at home or away though.

190. VanOil says:

That Hall play just now was either:

1. Hall being stupid
    2. Hall showing up someone
    3. Hall showing frustration

I think he was trying to win a bet. He did draw laughs from the Nashville commentators.

191. OilLeak says:

Sooooooo, 2008-09 is looking pretty good right about now.

192. hunter1909 says:

uni,

I’m partial to particle physics.

193. hunter1909 says:

Petrell was brought in to replace POS, right? That’s exactly who he reminds me of.

194. hunter1909 says:

Preds have a goal left in them.

195. delooper says:

My memory of POS is mostly dominated by his acronym.

196. Zack says:

This is the second game I’ve watched all year, when is this team going to turn things around? I enjoy the draft but I’m sick at the thought of the Oilers drafting within the top five.

197. hunter1909 says:

I’m pretty sure Preds will score.

198. gogliano says:

One stat that shows the Oil have zero fight left in them: They haven’t drawn a PP since overtime in Ohio (closing hand on the puck, no less).

199. delooper says:

Zack,

You should have watched their first 4 or 5 games. They looked pretty decent back then, before the other teams could get a few practices in.

200. hunter1909 says:

delooper,

For me, that acronym is his actual name.

For working purposes, lol.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »