OILERS AT RED WINGS G23 (12-13) 7.3.13

In an article about the Minnesota Twins, Bill James wrote a brilliant piece on a team getting something out of a truly wayward season. He called it “THAT was one Ugly Baby” and I think that might apply to this year’s Oilers.

They are dead, as dead as dead can be. And yet there are things that could show progress. Like Paajarvi’s development.

That’s Blind Faith in Hyde Park, their first live gig. Basically Steve Winwood and some nobodies, they sure sound wonderful. I think they could have been something if they’d have a guitar player.

•  RNH: “To me being good defensively is very important. I want to be trusted by the coach and that all starts with my defensive play. I’m going to keep working on it and I’m not going to let myself get frustrated by it. I’m just going to keep working.”

Who knows how this turns out, but when a kid this good also has a work ethic–sky’s the limit. The Nuge hasn’t found the range, so maybe he explodes (as he did last year) with a hat trick or a 5 assist night. He’s most certainly showing well in many aspects of the game we associate with mature players.

Any word on Hartikainen? We’re at the point in the season when players disappear like Von Trapps over the hills. That 4th line remains a disaster, but the Oilers aren’t going to do anything to address it with Horcoff and Hartikainen so close to returning. Or not.

A nice article by Jesse Spector on this waiver thing some teams are using nowadays.

In honor of Magnus Paajarvi, whose sideburns and waiver ineligibility means he’s probably playing his last games for Edmonton before heading to OKC:

I wish the Red Wings would send us Jim Nill as the next GM.  I don’t think there’s an secret to the Red Wings success, unless you think “do everything humanly possible to win each game” is a revelation.

They do things so logically. Consider:

• The Red Wings needed some offensive punch so reached into the Swiss-A league for Damien Brunner. He played with Zetterberg during the lockout and plays with him now in Detroit. The other linemate in Zug–Linus Omark–won the scoring championship and I dare say at some point the Red Wings will sign Omark and bring him over for a look-see. NOTHING GUARANTEED mind you, that’s the Detroit way. And it works.
  • The Red Wings needed someone to replace Nick Lidstrom’s minutes, and I thought Brendan Smith would turn into a feature player (he’s 24, and has 2.5 years of AHL experience). No sir 18 minutes a night and he doesn’t play every game. Detroit will NOT push a guy. Zetterberg played 16 minutes a night as a 22-year old rookie, and that was 4th on the team among forwards. Datsyuk was 8th in F TOO as a 23-year old rookie. Of course, both of them performed very well and would soon increase their role but the point is that Detroit took care to make sure the long term was always the goal. Detroit puts their young players in a position to succeed, and have an amazing track record.

I don’t think the Oilers win tonight, and it’s clear they’ll be in the NW basement when they return from the road trip

nwstandings

I keep hoping one day management will find a team they believe in and give them help at center and on defense when it’s needed. I can’t imagine the restraint it must take to watch Taylor Hall risk life and limb on one end and not send the troops an upgrade on Chris VandeVelde on the other.

In hockey terms, it’s tragic.

Roman Hamrlik’s waiver  moment is such a tell; the Oilers could have risked waivers on Whitney or Potter, they could have traded Peckham, hell they could have put Eager on the IR (I don’t think he’s right, just my opinion).

I don’t recall a team with this level of Jacks and Kings (although young) who are willing to flush a season over a lack of 6′s an 7′s. The Montreal Expos used to do this, they’d have Gary Carter and Andre Dawson and Tim Raines playing at high levels and ruin the balance with Doug Flynn at second base and Dan Driessen at first base.

And you know how the story ended for the Expos? They traded Gary Carter for four 6′s.

True story.

289 Responses to "OILERS AT RED WINGS G23 (12-13) 7.3.13"

« Older Comments
  1. Lucinius says:

Smyth is becoming the definition of soft on the puck, especially defensively.

Emmerton with a nice shot there. won’t blame DD for that one. Oilers gave a good period’s effort tonight.

3. 42 percent body fat says:

“Steve Smith”,

oh I forgot to add the 13th and 14th forward.

4. Lucinius says:

Surprise, Belanger out of position..

5. DBO says:

and then our defensively responsible vet loses his man and they score. Belanger can go bye bye, and soon. Smyth not much better

6. Zelepukin says:

Lucinius:
    Smyth is becoming the definition of soft on the puck, especially defensively.

more like the definition of retirement.

7. DBO says:

So Horcoff probably smiling at home. Man we miss him.

8. icecastles says:

There’s a sense of inevitability not only to this season, but to a lot of these games that makes them so much less exciting to watch.

We have said for so long that even when losing, this team is going to be so exciting to watch. It’s not that the Oilers are losing so many games – I think we could all handle, understand and accept that. It’s that they don’t seem to have much hope of winning (or even ability to win ) so many games. This isn’t the high-event team we expected that going to go down swinging in 6-5 or 4-3 hockey games. They don’t play to their strengths… it’s as if they don’t even have any strengths to play to.

9. 42 percent body fat says:

“Steve Smith”,

yes I should have, 41 was either a typo or a brain fart caused from my nausea from watching this period.

10. Lucinius says:

DBO,

A lot of that chaos was started by Smyth. Several chances to get it out and he failed to even get the puck, despite it coming right to him. Also had a chance to change.. and didn’t.

Then Belanger finished off the play of crappiness by not covering the slot.

11. Lucinius says:

Oilers need practice time to go over Passing 101: How to make and take a pass.

12. Rebilled says:

Do we really have 11 shots?

That seems like a lot.

13. Rebilled says:

Ooooohhhh, those types of shots.

14. Lucinius says:

Oilers need to bench Belanger. Badly.

15. rich says:

Watching this game is like watching your older brother play “keep away”. It’s almost unfair…except that this is the approach Oilers management has been allowed to take.

Brutal.

16. TartanArmy says:

It’s men against boys. This is not an NHL team. For a team that’s supposedly blessed with talent…..where is it?

17. DBO says:

Yep, no need for real NHL players. Detroit is not “big” but they forecheck relentlessly and have great puck pursuit. Something we know nothing about.

18. Southern Oil says:

I think RK should put Ebs, Hall & RNH back together. At least that way, we might have one line going.

19. Henry says:

I missed the Minnesota game. Were the Oilers worse in that second period or this one?

20. Lucinius says:

Henry,

They were worse. Frightening, eh?

Hamrlik would have helped on the breakouts and recognizing and reacting. That was a terrible decision.

22. 42 percent body fat says:

wow, yak is way better on RW

23. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi with another good game, imo. One of the few Oilers who’s playing like an NHLer on this road trip.

24. DBO says:

at least Brown is trying. Hard to say the same about half our team

25. Lucinius says:

I’m going to call it quits for this game. Go do something a bit more productive and less reliant on alcohol to enjoy.

26. TartanArmy says:

Did not get all of that shot/did not get all of that pass…..that about sums it up this season…lets face it. Time or a rebuild……um, wait a sec….

27. VanOil says:

That period was worse than my math! 91 and 64 to spark a remarkable come back in the 3d?

28. hunter1909 says:

Just tuned in. Wish I hadn’t.

Oilers have the Wings right where they want them.

29. hunter1909 says:

TartanArmy,

Talking about a rebuild with a tag like Tartan Army?

30. DBO says:

Agreed LT. Willis on twitter mentioned trying for Roszival in off season. I think he was mentioned a few times here, but the Org banked season on Whitney’s ankle. The management have thrown in towel and clearly never planned on doing anything this year regardless of what they said in public.

That in mind, make moves now to address needs for next year. It does not have to be in the off season. I was calm to start this game, I am now getting more angry. Not at the game or the players on the Oil, cause you don;t get mad at the dumb kid who keeps getting the answer wrong. It’s not his fault he is dumb, it’s the fault of his parents for putting him in a position to fail and not bringing in help. That is Tamblowe, Krueger has no chance, and the players on the ice can only do what they can do (which is not much). Don’t hate the players, they are trying, hate management for icing a team that is half filled with AHLers or NHL vets who should retire.

31. Rondo says:

Oilers are still better than Florida

32. TartanArmy says:

Curious as to how a sarcastic rebuild comment relates to TartanArmy. Maybe your not sure what the TartanArmy are?

33. geeker99 says:

this team deserves a bag skate. Petry, Brown and Maggie are the only exceptions in my eyes.

34. VanOil says:

I can’t see the Oilers not honoring Smyths contract for next year despite past contract disputes. I hope he is not scheduled to play more than 55 games and no back to backs. Target 10 minutes of ice time max he is out of gas.

35. TartanArmy says:

Smyth is awesome, but he’s done. Belanger is better suited for OKC. It’s not rocket science to know the bottom 6 need re-vamped, a big scary skilled top 6 forward is needed, and a bonafide top 4 d-man. Unfortunately, Tambo is the GM.

36. Danenbaum says:

Ridiculous Sportsnet anchor quote, “Good news for the Oilers! Pittsburgh came back from 4-1 down on Philidelphia so maybe it’s that type of night.”

If only the Oilers were that type of team.

geeker99:

Some of them might die.

38. bookje says:

Tambellini could probably pick him up for a third round pick!

39. bookje says:

Lowetide: Some of them might die.

Does that clear them off the 50 man roster limit?

40. DBO says:

Lowetide: Some of them might die.

is there a time limit on the duration of said skate because it may take a few of them a long time to finish

41. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius:
    Oilers need to bench Belanger. Badly.

In favour of whom? Who are we going to play in Belanger’s spot?

God damn this team’s depth sucks.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

Man, I can’t remember exactly when the last time was that Bookie turned heel (from management’s perspective), but I remember it being a dark, dark era.

43. voxwah says:

That might be the only way a roster change happens.

44. geeker99 says:

Lowetide: Some of them might die.

so true Lowetide, just sick of watching the lack of try from certain players. hopefully the third is better.

45. hunter1909 says:

geeker99: hopefully the third is better.

Of course the third’s better. That’s when the pain ends.

46. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque: In favour of whom?Who are we going to play in Belanger’s spot?

God damn this team’s depth sucks.

At this point I am willing to try Teddy a C in 20s place just for the amusement!

47. DBO says:

yak misses a lot of shots and passes cause the puck slips off his stick. too much curve?

48. BlacqueJacque says:

42 percent body fat:
    wow, yak is way better on RW

I said it since game 3 or so.

Then I got tired of saying it.

49. 42 percent body fat says:

BlacqueJacque,

50. hunter1909 says:

42 percent body fat: I was saying it when we drafted him, move hemsky to left wing, he is a veteran and will adapt easier.

Don’t be silly. What can any of us possibly know, that the management already hasn’t carefully evaluated? It’s time for trust.

51. DBO says:

keep them together forever.

52. fuzzy muppet says:

When does the rebuilding of the rebuild begin?

53. VanOil says:

Columbus just beat Vancouver, they might beat us in the standings as well as on the ice.

54. DBO says:

VanOil,

15th here we come.

55. 42 percent body fat says:

hunter1909,

True, I wont claim to be a good gm or a better one than Tambo, but I can see yak is better where he has played his whole life.

56. Suntory Hanzo says:

Why couldn’t Jones have been draftable last year. I like Yak, and think he will be good, but man do we need a defenceman.

57. 42 percent body fat says:

crosby 3 points tonight, when he gets the scoring lead he just doesnt look back does he.

Infamous slow starter

58. hunter1909 says:

Tom Renney must be seriously happy watching this.

59. russ99 says:

Just when you thought the Oilers couldn’t get more inept or boring…

We’re getting dangerously close to a “Shift of Doom” level of suckitude.

60. 42 percent body fat says:

Suntory Hanzo,

It could be arguable that if we got jones we may not have got schultz. Safe to say that Schultz would probably have more of an impact this year than if Jones were a raw rookie.

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Suntory Hanzo,

You’re assuming we’re out of the Jones sweepstakes.

Even if we get near the playoffs, we still have a chance due to the lottery changes.

62. ashley says:

You can’t really start a rebuild until you have at least four first overall picks.

63. hunter1909 says:

Always hilarious watching new Oilers like Brown, who haven’t yet learned the Oiler’s culture and instead keep fighting no matter what.

It’s like Nillson /POS all over again, sheesh.

64. Suntory Hanzo says:

BlacqueJacque,

I would guess the “random” selection would make the Oilers not pick 1st.

65. TartanArmy says:

Wow! Edmonon’s board play is eak as sin.

66. jake70 says:

Detroit prolonging the agony with the icings.

67. russ99 says:

Shift of Doom:

So how many years of the rebuild are we supposed to be ahead of this??

68. regwald says:

So, if Hemsky is gone for any length of time is that the last straw that forces Tambo to make a trade ?

69. VanOil says:

This game was mercifully short.

70. Ice Sage says:

Classic game!

71. hunter1909 says:

Makes me feel warm inside, seeing how happy Oilers made Detroit and their fans tonight.

72. VanOil says:

Our most recent odds of making the playoffs 8.8% http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

73. Southern Oil says:

Didi I just hear the color commentator on Sportnet say they “grounded and pounded” us? Did anyone else see that? The MSM can’t stop with the old ‘soft’ refrain. I give up.

74. Factotum says:

Gawd, this is depressing. The utter futility of it all. It’s unconscionable to trot out such a pale imitation of a balanced team of actual NHL players – year after year after year. Surely the fans – and let’s be honest, nobody loves hockey more – deserve better than this.

Learned helplessness is a real thing. No matter his vaunted motivational skills, anyone who thinks RK will be able to overcome it once it has set in is kidding themselves.

It ain’t the players fault. It’s obvious this management group hasn’t got a clue how to build a complete roster.

FFS, Daryl, are you blind?

75. BlacqueJacque says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    BlacqueJacque,

I would guess the “random” selection would make the Oilers not pick 1st.

Say what?

Tambellini is a draft lottery God. With a capital G indeed. He’s got that shit nailed down.

Statistically speaking, the odds of getting two 49% chance 1st overall picks and a 25% chance pick in a row are under 1 in 16. Best lottery GM in hockey.

Anyway, I don’t know WTF Louie Debrusk is talking about. The Oilers have a high powered offense?

76. squeezboks says:

77. russ99 says:

Don’t get any easier with Nashville and the Hawks on the schedule the next 3 days.

I’m starting to wonder if Krueger will last the season. Not his fault here due to epic mismanagement, but there’s you can’t keep icing a team looking like zombies and not have the coach questioned.

And the road trip is a lame excuse. All teams have a long road clip each season.

78. geeker99 says:

42 percent body fat:

Infamous slow starter

Chris Kunitz has 31 points playing with Sidney, that tells a lot about that hockey player. that teams offense is scary good.

79. SK Oiler Fan says:

Only saw the third, but wow looks like alot of passengers again tonight. Where’s the try? So much gliding and watching.Rec hockey. Yah, there’s roster issues everywhere, but is this all RK can get out of them?

80. jake70 says:

This team is in some thick fog right now.

81. DBO says:

new thread. you know LT is upset

82. Captain's Log says:

God it’s depressing listening to these goofs on 630 CHED try to name their hardest working player. Smid? 5 blocked shots? Yeah because we spend 60% of the game in our own zone.

Kreuger is was too dispassionate for me. I don’t know if he is just depressed too but his post-game conferences are like listening to paint dry. If he’s like that in the media how are the players going to listen to him?

83. icecastles says:

squeezboks: Officials lose their whistles after calling the first penalty. Oilers get mugged in Detroit. Horrible one-sided officiating is bench poison when you are playing from behind. Sigh.

84. bluenotenorth says:

The Oilers are following the “Detroit model”. Unfortunately it is the 1966 to 1983 version where they made the playoffs 2 of 17 seasons.

85. "Steve Smith" says:

squeezboks:
    Officials lose their whistles after calling the first penalty.Oilers get mugged in Detroit.Horrible one-sided officiating is bench poison when you are playing from behind.Sigh.

Also, the Oilers are terrible.

86. hags9k says:

DBO: new thread. you know LT is upset

That’s what I was thinking too. I better go check it out.

87. Ribs says:

Picked a good game to only watch the some of the first period of, I suppose. It looks like Belanger was bad for more than what I saw. That sucks. He was remarkably weak on the puck and making some real dumb-dumb decisions in the first.

I was going to get angry about it, but then I remembered Marty Reasoner. He’s the Belanger equivalent and he bonered some games, himself. It happens.

So umm…How’s Hemsky doing? Tell me he foresaw the loss and sat out for the hell of it. Please.

88. BONVIE says:

BlacqueJacque,

Vandevelde

89. squeezboks says:

icecastles: Maybe. But there’s no way you can blame this game on officiating. Not even close.

“Steve Smith”: Also, the Oilers are terrible.

I guess my point is that this team isn’t terrible. Its fragile. I have played on a couple teams like this where as soon as we got behind, the game plan went out the window and then we got spanked. These guys are still young and learning to play through adversity; you can see it in bunches at times. That being said, at the end of the day, when it seems like the ice and the refs are tilted towards your net, the bench becomes apathetic. This is the part of the rebuild where talent isn’t the issue, age and experience (re: mental fortitude) are huge factors.

« Older Comments