OILERS AT WILD G21 (12-13) 3.3.13

Yesterday we were talking about adding grit–or truculence–to the Oilers’ top 6 forwards. It came up several times during the radio show and has been the topic of conversation many times on this blog. Often, when we talk about a player’s shortcomings, it is in relation to this magical lack of physical presence–Paajarvi isn’t tough enough, Nuge-Gagner doesn’t strike fear in the hearts of the opposition.

And then we start making a list of players who have truculence. This week, we all spent way too much time on Aaron Volpatti and one or the other of the Sestito boys and for me that’s really the heart of the problem: we’re talking about 4′s and 5′s when the club really needs 10′s and jack’s in the position (if they truly need a physical force and I think that is open for debate–a strong PP kept Detroit’s opposition honest for over a decade).

THAT’S NOT A KNIFE

First, can we agree that having some Coke Machine come out 10 minutes after one of the Oilers has been intimidated serves no use? Okay. So, then can we agree that ‘toughness’ is a lot about reputation? A player like Brad Marchand isn’t big, but no one really thinks he’s a shrinking violet, correct?

Among Oiler regulars up front, there are a few players who show up physically and on the scoreboard:

1. Ryan Smyth 30pims (19, 2-5-7)
  2. Taylor Hall 23pims (18, 4-14-18)
  3. Ben Eager 23pims (11, 1-1-2)

Okay. So, can we agree that Ben Eager is not a top 6F? So, if the Oilers need someone in the Smyth family or someone in the Taylor Hall family (#1 overall picks are unlikely to be Edmonton property for the rest of my life time) in order to add to the group? Right?

guerin

This is Bill Guerin. He could score goals and he could fight and he was an actual NHL player. Bill Guerin’s don’t grow on trees, but that’s the kind of player Edmonton should be adding if there’s a need for a physical presence on the big lines. He could shoot, pass, take a pass–all of the things that contribute to advancing the play into the offensive zone and scoring goals. And, Guerin could throw them too.

I threw that in there since it’s ‘down on Mike Keane’ week and in honor of the win over Dallas the other night. Music! The point of all of this is the following: Eager and Smyth and Petrell and the rest are fine as physical players, and I have no problem with adding a big, strong player who can fight and play it dirty when required by game and circumstance.

Oilers in Minnesota is pretty close to the Oilers in Dallas. The home team in the Wild-Oilers matchup is 26-9 in the last 35 meetings. Edmonton is 5-21 in their last 26 trips into the land of 10,000 lakes. I admit to always having something else planned for these games, because if the Wild get a 1-0 lead the games changes from hockey to the blanket show on ice.

Krueger: “You can’t think about anything personal right now. The way this conference is, you need points. Anything distracting you from that task at hand is dangerous. We all know what’s going on here, and we need to scrap out points really badly. To get three or four points in the next two games is what we’ll be shooting for.”

shannonhall

Man I hope they sit him if there’s any doubt at all. Hall is this team’s best player and the straw that stirs the drink, but one game–even in a shortened season–isn’t worth the risk. A win tonight would be huge though, so one suspects talking Hall out of playing might take Krueger all day. I understand it’s a hammy.

Nail Yakupov:I wish we had all the injured guys back and healthy as soon as possible. I want our team to win more often and make it to the playoffs. If we can stay healthy, we’re a very good team. We can beat any team in the league. Besides, we have got an excellent coach. He’s great not only as a coach but on a personal level too. I have never met a coach like him. He’s always there for us. You want to go out there and win games just because of him.”

Nail Yakupov is terrific. Just terrific. And that’s a helluva interview btw. And Ralph Krueger has the best reputation among players I can recall for an Oiler coach–certainly since MacT but probably ever. Muckler? Maybe. Slats had a different style so they’re not comparable. The Krewg has the gift.

Radio show from yesterday is here, under Lowetide at High Noon episode 1. Tyler Dellow, Corey Pronman, Jim Byers, Tom Lynne, Guy Flaming and my thanks to each of them. I don’t know about itunes but will check on that and get back to you.

OKC Barons play in Charlotte this afternoon, I’ll update in the thread below. Cheechoo is killing it now (13, 8-10-18) and with a win today would draw into a playoff position in their conference (depending on what happens in the Lake Erie-Chicago game). Either way, coach Nelson has the club heading in a good direction.

321 Responses to "OILERS AT WILD G21 (12-13) 3.3.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. Smarmy says:

Watching Minnesota is telling your eyes you hate them. Especially if you’re an Oiler fan.

Then again, if Hall plays it might make for an interesting game.

2. Bushed says:

Loved Bill Guerin and was very sad to see him leave. Still wear one of my two Guerin jerseys to games occasionally, hoping that management might notice me in the nosebleeds and think, “Hey, let’s get a guy like Guerin” instead of “Hey, Samwise fights and scores and sometimes wins a puck battle or plays defense–that’s pretty close, isn’t it? Plus, he has a 9 in his number, too! (Or, 10 is pretty close to 9, and we’re paying him even more money than Geurin made, so he must be much better). Looks like we’re OK for trucu… um, how do you spell that?..er, we’re team tough. Yeah, that’s it!”

Sigh.

The continued asset management failures and failures to improve this team are driving me crazy. Do something other than evaluate FFS. I’m not getting any younger, my liquor costs are soaring as I have to keep resorting to drink to drown my frustration, and my patience is wearing very thin.

(PS Sam and Horc are only random examples–trade the whole team if necessary, just get to an end point that includes some skill, size, toughness, and a balanced roster that can realistically compete deep into the playoffs for crying out loud.)

3. DBO says:

Functional toughness is the key. Get guys who have size and can actually play. Montreal was a good example last night of a team with a bunch of smaller players who had a few bigger guys playing big roles.

I have prayed for Boyle, Penner would work on the 2nd or 3rd line, and Ryan Clowe is a UFA next year and could fit our top 9 really well. Have our 4th line as an actual line with true NHLers and look out.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Clowe-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-Boyle-Yakupov
    Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi

No more complaints about our team being too small, and adding Boyle and Clowe gives us toughness and hitting with skill, and Penner while not physical is a beast who flourishes in the tougher games (see last years playoffs) and on this team would be a great addition. Both Clowe and Penner are struggling right now, with both of their teams on the playoff bubble. Same with Boyle in New York. No idea what it would take, but if they want to add real players with size, then they should be looking to add one or two right now and add the other in the off season.

4. Bushed says:

PPS OK, I’m venting.

We can keep Hall, Schultz, and Yak, but any other trade that improves this team is fair game, no?

5. Jesse says:

I might be missing it, but it doesn’t look like it’s anywhere to be found. Is doesn’t look like it’s under the “podcast” heading or anywhere that I can see.

Bushed:
    PPS OK, I’m venting.

My keeper list would be Petry, J Schultz, Hall, Nuge, Yak, Eberle, and I wouldn’t trade Gagner unless a very good C is coming back.

7. justDOit says:

Jesse,

scroll down to the list of podcasts – its second from the top.

Jesse:

Jesse: it’s #2 on the menu, below Krush Performance Show. Lowetide at High noon, just click and it will load.

If 4 is out, I’m assuming 91 is drawing in.

Maybe they run:

64-93-14
    91-89-83
    94-20-28
    55-54-37

Either way, I hope the 28 w/ 89-83 experiment is over.

RK has shown that he sees what we see when making line up decisions, but the 91 is still a head scratcher,

I think it has to do with RK giving each player a very defined role and expectations and 91 not doing something RK wants him to do.

I don’t know what that is as 91 took punishment and earned every inch of ice against CHI and had the best shot attempt differential on the team.

91 by all reports exceeded expectations vs CHI, but has been scratched the two games following.

Weird.

There’s something there that we’re missing.

I understand if they want to audtion 28 with 89-83 and make sure they aren’t overlooking any possible chemistry for that line, but how in the hell do you justify playing 37 over 91?

IsMental.

Game is very winnable, even without Hall.

MIN has an even worst shot attempt differential than the Oilers.

Expect to see 6 back and probably 24.

Great to see 6 have a decent game against STL. I wish 5 had his passing skills and offensive instincts.

I can just see v4.2″s presser:

Save us from that MacT.

Please.

Go Oilers!

*clap,clap*

10. Jesse says:

I opened the link on my laptop and managed to find it. I guess the iPhone can’t load that menu/listing of all the podcasts FYI. It just appears as a large blank space on the page.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Anyway. I’ve got it on my laptop now. Thanks!

11. Bryan says:

Not quite sure how you would improve the team by trading Hopkins! And to win a trade involving Eberle or Hemsky or Gagner you need someone special coming back, not just some big plug who doesn’t mind running into people! I spent many years watching this team where we wished that we could somehow get just a bit more skill, but of course skill players are by far the hardest to find. Now that we have a nice group of them people seem to be in a huge panic to dump them for some mythical power forward! Pavel Datsyuk wasn’t always the Datsyuk we know and love now….he spent a good portion of his early career being called soft and a choker in the playoffs. Now he is an artist and an absolute joy to watch! People get what they deserve I suppose!

12. Bushed says:

Actually, your list looks pretty good, except I’d take anything of fair value back for Gagner and go from there. I like his improved skating this year, and his desire to be a leader on this team, but he just keeps killing me with his lack of D zone coverage and turnovers.

And if Hemsky is fair game for a trade, 89 better be ahead of him in my books. Not the popular opinion, I know, just mine.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ohh… Bill Guerin! Yes please!

I’m still ticked he ended up on the Stars… they should have put some clause in his contract that he never play with the Stars, flames or nucks… but mostly the stars.

That line was Weight-Smyth-Guerin IIRC… wow… the new top line is more skilled no doubt, but that Weight line was a dream to watch.

Volpatti and Sesito are also-rans… people want Lucic and Benn.

ps. that Mont-Pit game last night was like a flash back to the 80s… terrible D and G… last goal wins!

14. Bushed says:

WG:

“Why do I think the Oilers are going to do something like Whitney, Paajarvi, and Omark’s rights to DET for Patrick Eaves and a 2nd? I can just see v4.2″s presser:“He was a first round draft pick and we really liked him in his draft year…..functional toughness….” ”

Exactly the kind of frustration I’m talking about. Glad to hear it isn’t just me…

15. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I’m out on Petry, simply because from all indications Klefbom would be able to eat some of his minutes.

I’m not a scout but there was a reason the Oilers wanted him to stay this year, I’m guessing the feel he’s ready.

a Guerin to me.

16. PerryK says:

PENNER!!!!!!!!

He’d make a great 2LW; with size! He is hardly playing in LA. He fits everything that anyone has mentioned about our needs.

Come on Tamblow! Make a real deal.

17. spoiler says:

Wes Mantooth-11:

I know I’ve been saying this all year, but please someone in Oiler management get Ryan Clowe. Score, grit, big coke machine, nasty disposition, willing to take a suspension for his mates…..sound like a Guerin to me.

It’s not a matter of whether Mgt can “get” Clowe… Every team wouls love to have him. But at what price point? And does he want to come play for you?

18. Henry says:

“Just make sure he can play the game. Bill Guerin yes, Tom Sestito no. MacT knows the difference, and that’s for sure.”

I’d pay $5 to know whether MacT would be playing Paajarvi and in which spot of the lineup. I just can’t understand why two coaches won’t play him.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PerryK:
    PENNER!!!!!!!!

He’d make a great 2LW; with size!He is hardly playing in LA.He fits everything that anyone has mentioned about our needs.

Come on Tamblow!Make a real deal.

love the player… but he doesn’t really fit the mould of the player we are talking about here… he’s not exactly “mean” or “gritty” or whathaveyou.

if that is the real concern within the mgt. they aren’t going to look to penner to solve the problem…

Wes Mantooth-11:

a Guerin to me.

Klef is LH

Petry is one of two RH Dmen in the whole organizaion, the other is J.Shultz.

You want to give up an Actual NHL Dman because a rookie might be good?

The Oilers have 3 Dmen right now who will probably be decent in the coming years: Smid (needs to get re-signed), Petry, and J.Shultz.

This team needs Dmen, giving up one of those 3 is not a good idea.

21. FastOil says:

Although there is perceived excess of quality wingers on the team, and for a few years I was on the bandwagon for a one way ticket for Mr. Gagner, if you look at goal scoring the Oilers are still lagging.

I looked at the top 5 team’s G/G average from the 07-08 to 11-12 seasons. First column is year, second is Top 5 Average, third is Oilers (with my first post the columns got messed up, oops) .

11-12 3.11 2.52
    10-11 3.09 2.33
    09-10 3.29 2.51
    08-09 3.28 2.78
    07-08 3.09 2.68

Top 5 overall average is 3.17, Oilers 2.56. Overall the Oilers are 18.9% behind the best scoring teams.

It looks like trading and losing any offense would actually be a mistake. It also looks like the team has been trending down, this year so far the best 5 teams are at 3.29 G/G, the Oilers 2.35, 28.5% behind.

Of course the team can reduce the G/A to win more games, but that is more dependent on team play and can be taught. Goal scoring not so much. Defensive teams that lack scoring also typically have trouble in the playoffs over time – anyone can have a hot hand and win it all, but to be a perennial contender the elite scoring needs to be there.

Trading Gagner or Hemsky etc has to be for at least equal offensive output. The team could move talent for a lottery pick, which would be risky (magic beans) but at least could be justified on some level.

Trading for talent for truculence most likely would be a net loss for a team that needs to score more. We’ll see if Steve can sell the future and maybe sign UFA’S at a decent price that are better than the current bottom 6. Or maybe Stu can find someone outside of the lottery that can actually score some and isn’t child sized. They seem to show up on quite a few teams, just not the Oilers so far.

Come to think of it, drafting undersized players later has turned out to be as wasted a pick as Coke Machines. How about drafting mobile players approaching the right size (not reaching) and hope they develop, instead of physically marginal players (way too big or small). I’ll bet the odds are far better of getting a useful player.

22. Gret99zky says:

Hall and Eager are tough to play against. Listing Smyth as one of our toughs is a bit of a stretch IMO. Unless hooking is somehow intimidating.

I say no to Penner and yes to Brian Boyle.

23. tcho says:

Woodguy:

This team needs Dmen, giving up one of those 3 is not a good idea.

Amen. What they need is win trade where they get the best player NOW. Something that upgrades a Fistric or a Peckham into a legit top 4. The 3 for 1 trade LT has been predicting for years… Hard to pull off, but v4.2′s job.

I’ll be cheering like heck for the boys, especially if they’re missing 4.

Goilers!

*clapclap*

24. regwald says:

Funny Guerin story. A buddy of mine met and is friends with Musil, so he would flip us the occasional game day tix that would be with the Oilers wives. Some of the ladies were talkative, some weren’t. One game we were sitting beside Guerin’s wife and she had their oldest daughter with her. There was a skirmish in front of the net near us (section 134) and Bill engaged with the defenceman and just as he was she said … hey, look up over there to her daughter. Her daughter turns around and looks away.

Meanwhile Guerin gives the dman a shot and they start a minor skirmish, I think the both got 2 for roughing.

She turns to us and says, it is hard to explain to her daughter that it’s ok for daddy to punch someone, but she can’t punch her younger sister. lol Hilarious.

She also told us how Guerin’s mom was in Edmonton for a game and was amazed at the atmosphere and playing the Hockey Song totally cracked her up. She loved hearing it at the game.

Guerin is exactly what the Oilers need.

25. Roughneck says:

Ive met PRV a few times and found him frail, he has minimal upper body mass and strikes me as a teenager in a physical development sense. His stats suggest that he can be signed to his next contract for a pittance and fwiw I would anticipate that his game will improve with his physical maturity. Hes built like a norwegian cross country skier. All legs and lungs.

I do agree that he will never be truculent. Swedes aren’t wired that way, with a few notable exceptions through the years. Suffice it to say… maggie is cut from the traditional swedish cloth. Great kid with incredible speed. I would be hesitant to “throw him in” as part of some deal, theres more there and I would suggest that maggie as a man will be a rather different package than maggie the boy that roams rexall ice currently.

26. prairieschooner says:

Penner is on a downward spiral (sadly) He was random when we had him and appears even more so in LA.
    Surely we need our sandpaper grit guy to show up every night?
    Oilers should work a multi player deal that gets them Samuelson (oil kings)

WG correctly predicts Krueger

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty

Looks like yakupov will take hall place with RNH and Eberle vs Wild

28. fuzzy muppet says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

Oilers lines 91-89-14, 64-93-83, 94-20-28, 55-54-37

And Paajarvi on the top line! Yeah, baby!

30. fuzzy muppet says:

And he flipped 89 and 93.

I really like these lines

Ah, he DID! I like this very much, suspect the Nuge has a good game.

There was atime when Gagner+Paajarvi scared the daylights out of me, but 89 figured it out after a few months. Post Christmas iirc.

33. spoiler says:

Ah, he DID! I like this very much, suspect the Nuge has a good game.

Might rack up some assists, but not sure how the lines change his ability to hit the net.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers

Coach Krueger says Taylor Hall is “still feeling a strain in his leg” and is day-to-day but will not play against #mnwild today

too bad, but the right call. No doubt.

35. PerryK says:

I love this lineup! 91 as the defensive conscience of the line will allow Gagner to do best what Gagner does!

However, I would flip 64 and 94. NO matter how good Nuge is on D-zone exits, I can see 64 hurting the zone clearing enough to cause some problems. 37-20-64 would be better imo.

Doesn’t matter, decent lineup anyhow. Go Yak, G’Oilers!

36. spoiler says:

The Kruge is probably being mindful of the 3 in 4 at the end of the week w.r.t. Hall… Sitting him is the right call IMO too.

37. crude says:

Kinda nervous about that 91-89-14 line. I know Magnus cheats for defense, but…
    They could surprise, maybe Maggie gets a hat-trick.

38. leadfarmer says:

After living in Minneapolis for 4 years, I finally splurged and I’m taking the old lady and some friends to the game tonight.

39. Bar_Qu says:

crude,

I think that line is the stronger of the two top lines; the one which has me nervous is the inscrutable 83 with the shooter (64) and the Nuge. I see three guys who like to handle the puck and wonder who will take it up ice (or if they will fight each other for it). Some defensive responsibility there, potential offensive chaos.

40. VanOil says:

I am glad they are protecting Hall’s leg I hope it is as minor and injury as they say. The lines look interesting. It is fun to have this sort of talent to play around with.

As to functional grit and toughness, it is expensive to get (trade wise) inconsistent to own (production woes and injuries hit this select group hard) and some what unproven as a winning formula (by stats, not prevailing sentiment). I would rather teach grit by having a core group of talented players learn to win together. The boys on the bus most famously learned this during the first Cup defeat to NYI. Kruger speaks a good game about team. The Octane Girls told me so http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=61&id=206444&cmpid=embed-share-video

The Oilers can add functional size by 5 to 10lbs a year just by hiring and adviser like Charles Poliquin. He has even beefed up figure skaters for goodness sake. 5lbs a year for functional strength over a 3 year period for players of this age group is not unrealistic. That would make this line up big and strong with talent. I think the Fire to win is there already. Yak and Hall are already hardly shrink violets, and I doubt RNH, Schultz Jr or even Ebs would be if they had the size to back it up. Samwise might not fight as much or as well as Guerin but he does drop’m.

So I would not give up any young talent to bring in toughness and grit. Toughness and grit are easier to teach than talent. If you want to trade, trade Belanger or any of our defensemen 5 through 10 to aquire a Center who can score sure, but I would keep the kids including Paajarvi. Players like Belanger, Whitney and Eager will likely have value at the deadline for some desperate GM.

If the Wild game gets to boring, and well it might if they get an early lead I recommend this article on Seattle’s Stanley Cup winning team. I wan’t the team out of the desert all the more now. My mission this week is to find the author’s, Craig H. Bowlsby, books they sound great. LT I would recommend him for you radio show if your looking to talk old time hockey. He is THE expert on the old Pacific Coast Hockey Association. (They stole the whole Toronto team in a contract dispute!)

Spoiler alert (They stole the whole Toronto team in a contract dispute then beat the Habs for the Cup!)

41. DBO says:

Bar_Qu,

I think Nuge will be the defensive conscience on that line. And the Gagner line will be interesting. If the gagner line plays well, you probably move Hall in for Yak and have Yak play sheltered EV minutes. Although, Paajarvi will probably play great and ride pine next game.

42. Bar_Qu says:

DBO:
    Bar_Qu,

Quoted for truth.

43. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: Willis on the new lines:http://www.jtwillis.com/1/post/2013/03/quick-thoughts-on-the-edmonton-oilers-new-lines.html

~ Thanks for that link LT-I was mumbling to myself the other day that Willis slacker wasn’t generating enough copy, and needed another online outlet to produce more content about the Edmonton Oilers ~

44. rickithebear says:

Line up!
    is the current best defensive dman in the game playing?

45. Gerta Rauss says:

rickithebear,

Still no word if Whitney is playing tonight.

46. DBO says:

And wow Chicago, Really. Just wow.

47. lawrenharris says:

Guerin? I’d settle for Erik Cole. That was one of the worst trades in Oilers history.

Anybody know what channel the game is on tonight? Can’t find it in the Shaw listings.

48. ashley says:

Billy Guerin. Just when it looked like the Oilers were going to break out of mediocre first round knock-outs with a quality team, Billy gets sent away. In 2000, the Weight-Guerin-Smyth line was one of the most feared. I recall one coach (Dallas maybe?) being asked why he trapped so much, and the reply was “Sure it would be fun for Edmonton fans to watch the Weight-Guerin line score on every shift, but we want to try to win some of these games”.

A quarter way through the season and all three of them were in the top 10 for scoring, if I recall, before Lowe downgrades to Anson Carter, presumably because he knew he wouldn’t be able to afford to pay a line playing at that level.

The frustrating frugal years.

Then we got a billionaire owner, and we’ve been dead last ever since. Go figure.

302 Shaw

50. DBO says:

LT you mentioned it on ON, but when do the Oil finally sign Cheechoo and bring him up. He is a scoring machine, and we could use some EV secondary scoring for sure.

And way to go NBC, cut away from an OT game to go to golf. Just freakin brutal.

And it’s back. NBC, really?

51. El Duderino says:

Re “truculence” : This Fancy Dan $20 word has become fashionable since Burke started using it. He’s a Harvard educated lawyer turned hockey man. In my view it shouldn’t be used to describe certain desired traits in hockey players. Do we really want “savage, fierce, barbarous, cruel, and destructive” men playing in the NHL?

COH has Jones as the most effective forward in games 11-20

Jones only has 4 games to average out during that time.

He had one very good game, one mediocre game and two poor ones imo.

Bruce always marks his cousin Jones easy though…… :)

Also,

Heard on 880am while in the truck that Hartikainen was playing.

Haven’t seen or heard it anywhere else.

Anyone else hear that?

53. DBO says:

Woodguy,

From Oilers website:

Hartikainen hadn’t skated since injuring his shoulder in the game against Phoenix.

“With Hartikainen he was cleared to do things with his shoulder that he hasn’t been able to do so we were very pleased to see those two bodies back on the ice here this morning.”

So looks like it is more him getting in shape a bit.

54. justDOit says:

El Duderino,

Agreed – that’s my most hated hockey word, with a close 2nd being ‘compete level’ (ok, that’s a phrase, but…). Why has the sports world forgotten about ‘competitiveness’?

I think they’d have to make a roster move to get Hartikainen back. As for Jones, that came as a shock because he hasn’t been consistent–not being critical clearly he’s trying to catch up.

Oh well. I’d have Gagner higher on every one of those 10 game segments. Bias she sleeps with all of us.

56. DBO says:

They have to move a dman. either IR someone, waive them down or make a trade. That is hampering the forwards since one of HArsky or Paajarvi will have to be sent down when they have earned a shot fulltime

I think when Krueger sits Paajarvi, it is an entirely different thing than when Renney would sit Paajarvi.

Under Nelson and Krueger, I think the communication with Magnus is extremely good. Magnus is blocked by the numbers games right now, and the still perceived need for specialists. Magnus is at a stage where he can sit a game or two without it hurting him.

It is only a matter of time now before Krueger reaches the conclusion that Paajarvi is a better player than Smyth, Jones, and Hartikainen, and that he cannot sit Paajarvi regardless of how much he likes his specialists in the good-Eager and Petrell.

Paajarvi is a “different” player. With no training camp, Magnus was penciled in as a bubble player who would likely be in OKC most of this year. But injuries have given him a chance this year in the NHL and he is clawing his way back slowly.

With MacT and Krueger in the organization, I think Paajarvi has a renewed shot at being an Oiler longer term. He could still go in a deal for a defenseman, and I would understand that. I would rather Hemsky go for a better defenseman.

I think Penner and Clowe are basically too old to fit in with this group. One should want to find a younger version of Clowe, a mid-to-late twenties version of the player rather than an early thirties version like Clowe or Penner.

59. DBO says:

godot10,

Clowe and Penner are both only 30. we need some vets to have a chance, and they would replace Smyth and Horcoff, only they are 5 yrs younger and still have 3-4 effective years left. Add jones and maybe Boyle, then we have a bunch of 27-30 yr old vets to help the kids grow.

DBO:
    godot10,

Clowe and Penner are both only 30. we need some vets to have a chance, and hey would replace Smyth and Horcoff, only they are 5 yrs younger and still have 3-4 effective years left.

Ideally, you want players whose performacne is not going to be declining as one aims to be contending. The guys who play well in their thirties are the Alfredsson’s, the Ray-Whitney’s, the Mark Recchi’s. The bangers not so much.

61. DBO says:

And for those who talk of Penner not being physical, funny thing this year he would be 2nd on the Oilers forwards in hits this year with 28. That is both an improvement for Penner and an indictment of our forwards and our lack of aggression.

62. DBO says:

godot10,

True to an extent, but you aren’t asking them to be the primary scorers, you are asking them to bring toughness, size and secondary scoring. As complementary players they have a lot to offer, and bringing them in allows us to shift Smyth and Jones and the like to 4th line, which is where they belong and would be most effective. They real issue is in terms of dollars, but if you got them on 2 year deals for decent money they may bite. You then can cut bait when you have to pay Yakupov. We have a 2 year window of cost effectiveness before tough decisions have to happen.

DBO:
    Woodguy,

From Oilers website:

So looks like it is more him getting in shape a bit.

Thanks!

64. asiaoil says:

Krueger is one of the few NHL coaches whose methods Penner could respect and buy into. The big guy is way smarter than most NHL people give him credit for and he’s not the “big dumb brute” that most people want him to be. He’s a unique guy with unique coaching needs. I think bringing him back now would be cheap, fill a need, and pay serious dividends.

From Matty’s column today

Defenceman Ladislav Smid, an unrestricted free-agent July 1, says his agent Steve Kotlowitz hasn’t had contract discussions with the Oilers. Lots of NHL teams have been scouting the Oilers, knowing Smid is UFA this summer, also wondering if he might be in play for a trade April 3 because of that, if there’s no movement on a new contract. “There’s nothing going on,” he said. “I’m trying not to think about. Hopefully, we’ll start talking soon. We have a month to the trade deadline.” Is he worried about a trade? “I guess that would be an option, if I don’t sign a deal by then.” – See more at: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/03/03/no-taylor-hall-for-edmonton-oilers-in-minnesota/#sthash.Qw3BXrIL.dpuf

Seppa’s GVT is up, Dubnyk top Oiler, top skaters are Gagner and Hall.

67. Gret99zky says:

Re: Penner

Yeah, just because he has been a healthy scratch in LA and his work ethic has been in question from the day he arrived in Edmonton years ago, via offer sheet, up until today there is no reason to believe that he won’t suddenly snap out of it, get a mean-on, and start playing the game we all “know” he can play.

Krewgs will fix him.

Also: 10 mins of Smyth’s PIM was a misconduct.

68. Rocknrolla says:

Jesse,

Hey Jesse, I fins that some flash doesn’t she up on iPhone and iPad.

For all the 1260 podcasts just go direct to their sound cloud page. Seems to work well for me on iPad and iPhone.

Also you can play these in the background while doing other things.

Roy to start for OKC.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Defence pairings for tonight’s #OKCBarons game: Clark with Fedun, Jones with Teubert, Hotham with Marincin

Fedun back in.

71. Rebilled says:

leadfarmer,

1st game in 4 years says something about watching the Oilers play the Minnesota Mild. Absolutely hate these games. Was gonna skip it but I’m interested in seeing these lines.

Went out Friday night after Whitney’s goal. We won 2-0 as far as I could see..

Billy G, I’ll never forget the cover of the Edmonton Sun after he was traded. Doug and Bill sitting at a family dinner table drinking Coors lights. Long term it would translate to Arnott for Ashton.

He is the type of player this team needs times two. An Arnott and a Guerin would help immensely.

Why do you hate Smid so much LT? Must be all the blocked shots and the fact that’s he’s been trained to ignore pain….ignore weather.

72. jp says:

From Matty’s column today

Defenceman Ladislav Smid, an unrestricted free-agent July 1, says his agent Steve Kotlowitz hasn’t had contract discussions with the Oilers. Lots of NHL teams have been scouting the Oilers, knowing Smid is UFA this summer, also wondering if he might be in play for a trade April 3 because of that, if there’s no movement on a new contract. “There’s nothing going on,” he said. “I’m trying not to think about.Hopefully, we’ll start talking soon. We have a month to the trade deadline.” Is he worried about a trade? “I guess that would be an option, if I don’t sign a deal by then.” – See more at: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/03/03/no-taylor-hall-for-edmonton-oilers-in-minnesota/#sthash.Qw3BXrIL.dpuf

ffs, don’t go there. Sign the man! I can’t believe there’s any chance they’d be thinking about trading Smid and/or not re-signing him. No way. Not possible.

Seppa’s GVT is up, Dubnyk top Oiler, top skaters are Gagner and Hall.

GVT sure likes the goalies. Khabi is ranked just behind Gagner and well above Hall. And Cogliano is better than any Oiler forwards :)

73. jp says:

DBO:
    godot10,

Agreed, these guys are not too old. Either or both I think would be a huge help to this team. Always the risk of not being 100% sure what you’re going to get with Penner, but he was a key part of a very good line with Gagner and Hemsky not so long ago. The price should be low, I’d definitely take a chance on him.

Clowe would be even better, but I imagine the price would be quite a bit higher.

74. wordbird says:

enjoyed listening to the podcast, Lowetide. glad to hear you back on the ‘airwaves’.

Someone needs to write you a suitable theme song, however. Too much hairy metal for “LOWETIDE AT HIGH NOON” :P

From Matty’s column today

Smid’s agent, I presume, owns a phone, and could pick it up and make a call and initiate negotiations if he wanted too also.

There is going to be term on this contract. Before you pick up the phone and start negotiating, you better have a firm idea about exactly how long and how much you are willing to pay, or too accept, so negotiations don’t go off the rail.

Sometimes not talking can be better than talking. Remember, the Oilers (and we) probably want Smid to take a bit of a home town discount. And in that case, I think less talking is better than more talking. The give and take on a home town discount will only occur in the leadup to a deadline, so it is really pointless talking long before that deadline, because nothing good can come of all that talking.

And who knows, closer to the deadline, someone might make an offer in a trade that is too good to refuse.

So the two sides are staring each other down a little bit. That often is far less dangerous than talking.

76. Downright Fierce says:

Almost missed the show yesterday LT. I assumed High Noon was at 4:20.

Heh.

Seriously though, great to have you back on my radio. Makes Saturdays that much better.

Love the line shake-up. Anything to spice up a game in Minny. Dying for a winning streak, though. I think we all feel the excitement/anxiety over what it would mean for the Oil to string some points together t-minus one month to the deadline.

77. leadfarmer says:

Rebilled,

Normally I just watch one period of these games on TV and get bored and do something else. This time I can only drink for entertainment.

Before the oilogosphere goes all ape%# over Smid’s contract, perhaps we should form our own consensus about term and dollar figure.

I figure 4 years @ $3.5 million per is fair. I could live with five years at that rate. I don’t want a 4 handle on the cap hit.

But I fear that Smid would want to test the open market if that is the offer, and that is why the Oilers are probably not talking, until closer to crunch time.

79. Gret99zky says:

wordbird:

A variation of Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws?

80. MrSmitty says:

I am hoping for a 3-4 year deal at about 2.5-3 mill per for Smid.

We need all the cap space we can get. Especially if we go the free agent route in the next couple years for the missing pieces.

MrSmitty:
    I am hoping for a 3-4 year deal at about 2.5-3 mill per for Smid.

Josh Gorges got 6 years with a $3.9 million cap hit.

82. DBO says:

godot10: Josh Gorges got 6 years with a $3.9 million cap hit.

that’s a good comparable. maybe the 10% cap drop means 5 yrs $3.5 per

Johnny Boychuk, 3 years @ $3.4 million

84. crude says:

Bar_Qu:
    crude,

True. I think we can agree that these lines will make at least make a game in Minny interesting.

Bryan Allen, 3 years @ $3.5 million.

86. Downright Fierce says:

High Noon is a great flick, but I always preferred the one they re-released in the 90s? With the updated graphics?

But I’ll never forgive them for changing it so that Miller shot first.

87. Clay says:

Sooo, Cogliano, hey? Good for him.

Regarding Smid – It’s not a stretch to think that the “braintrust” is in love with their deep deep depth on the blueline. I could totally see Tambo looking at all of Musil and Klefbom and the Martins and thinking that Smid is an expendable piece. Would not surprise me one bit.

Remember, Tambo has only proven he knows how to build a loser. Lowe as well, except for one good spring run where MacT employed the trap.

Regarding the game – they need 6 points in the last 6 games of the roadie for a .500 road trip, which I’m guessing most would see as a successful trip. A win tonight would be huge. Or even a loser point.

Without Hall, the only way they win tonight is if Dubnyk is outstanding. He’s been cheated out of a few shutouts this year, so lets hope the gods give him a little payback today.

Johnny Oduya 3 years, $3.4 million per.

Marc Methot, 3 years, $3 million per.

Jan Hejda, 3 years $3.25 million per.

91. DBO says:

godot10,

all good comparables. hope it goes that way

Andy Greene 4 years @ $3 million per.

I think Smid’s agent believes he can get over $4 million per with term on the open market, which is why the Oilers haven’t picked up the phone yet.

94. jake70 says:

“they win tonight is if Dubnyk is outstanding. He’s been cheated out of a few shutouts this year, so lets hope the gods give him a little payback today.”

He needs to stop that winning goal against St. Louis, the heartbreaker. He has let in some softies this year.

95. wordbird says:

Gret99zky,

Something with some whistling, maybe a couple of whip cracks.

96. LMHF#1 says:

Two of Eric Fehr, Erik Cole and Dustin Penner would do the trick if you want some size in the forward group and all (maybe not Cole) would be pretty attainable. I’m sure there are more as well. Brian Boyle and David Steckel are both out there if you want 4th liners who can play. This could be done if they had any desire to do it. I don’t happen to think that’s the key (I’d rather try to add Lubomir Visnovsky and a Joni Pitkanen type and laugh our way to the playoffs) but it might be worth a shot I suppose.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
    Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Yakupov-Horcoff-Fehr
    Smyth-Boyle-Hartikainen/Eager

That lineup could make some things happen.

A Smid re-signing to a multi-year deal is a no-brainer, yes?

97. Rocknrolla says:

wordbird,

I agree…some Eastwood western music mighty fit…

98. Rocknrolla says:

justDOit,

Sounds good! Whip cracks and all!

Cue the throaty Jack Palance voice “Lowetide at High Noon”

lol. Minimum wage. Love it!

100. wheatnoil says:

godot10:

Would be a shame for the Oilers to lose Smid after they’ve battled through his learning curve. My guess is that Smid’s agent is going to ask for $4M+. If the Oilers get Smid for between 3.5-4, we should be happy, although 3.0-3.5 would be preferable, since both Petry and J. Schultz are going to be making more than Smid when their contracts are up after next year. That said, it might be hard to get Smid at less than 3.5, given that’s how much N. Schultz is making right now. Smid has a slightly better +/- and plays about the same TOI / game as Schultz, so it might be hard to convince him to take less.

101. justDOit says:

That album, Flood, is a masterpiece, imo.

102. VanOil says:

Who the heck is Eric Hunter and why is he scoring goals in OKC as a C? Wow a U of A boy that was twice drafted. Once by Chi once by NYR.

Hunter (Rajala) tied at 1.

104. justDOit says:

Barker in tonight for Ballard with the ‘Nucks. There’s a story line to follow if this game in Minny becomes the staring contest I think it might.

Doesn’t sound like MacT is a big fan of fancystats or gets them yet.

Eric T. ‏@BSH_EricT
    Best moment at SSAC: I drag MacTavish to my poster. He looks at it for 1.5 secs, says “we just hired a guy to do this GVT stuff,” walks away

Eric’s poster was on his work with zone entries.

Nothing to do with GVT at all.

*facepalm*

Woodguy:
    Doesn’t sound like MacT is a big fan of fancystats or gets them yet.

Eric T. ‏@BSH_EricT

Eric’s poster was on his work with zone entries.

Nothing to do with GVT at all.

*facepalm*

Lowetide: The key is to get MacT to look at it with his mind open. He’s a big brain, just misunderstood what he was looking at. Call it his “Jan Hejda” moment.

Tough setting to get quality time as well.

Let’s get Bruce on this…. hehe

108. VanOil says:

justDOit,

That fact that Barker is not starting tonight for the Oilers brings me joy.

Woodguy: Tough setting to get quality time as well.

Let’s get Bruce on this…. hehe

I’m thrilled they’re looking at it. This is news.

110. VanOil says:

My Mother warned me about guy’s like MacT. Maybe with a Big Brain or great hair it only takes 1.5 seconds to comprehend.

My Mother used to tease her Male colleges when MacT was the Oilers coach that she felt he was the Male equivalent of a Big Titted Blond. Just a handsome guy with great hair that looked like a hockey player and talked like a hockey player but with the intellectual depth of salad.

I am slightly embarrassed to quote my Mom here but it is a great line. She would not be shocked by his reaction to what must have been information overload at the Analytics conference.

111. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Let’s get Bruce on this…. hehe

Haha, what do I know, we had Jones as Oilers’ top forward last 10 games.

But at least we didn’t rank RNH 752nd in the NHL in anything.

112. Bruce McCurdy says:

PS: I thought Jones sucked in St. Loo, but Young Willis gave him a passing grade. We don’t always see things the same way, eh. Not an exact science to say the least.

Pretty good chance he had sore ribs, though. Can you imagine the hue and cry if that prick Benn had done that to Hall or Eberle or the Nuge? Or to Clutterbuck for that matter. Still a little choked that he walked after that gutless assault from behind.

113. Ryan says:

Wow. Is it just me or would a real GM have done something about VDV?

This line is just awesome: Ben Eager – Chris VandeVelde – Lennart Petrell

aka where offense goes to die.

As Ashley said earlier.. In the old(er) days, the broke Oilers couldn’t afford or retain talent, but they had decent players up and down the lineup. sort of reminds me of Phoenix minus the stiffling defense.

Magnus better work on his flow to stay in the lineup when Hall returns. :)

Bruce: The good thing is if they’re following GVT Jones is well down the list! :-)

PS, I’m just teasing.

115. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeah, I know that.

116. justDOit says:

VanOil:
    justDOit,

That fact that Barker is not starting tonight for the Oilers brings me joy.

Joy for me would be trading Barker for Leddy – relief is what I feel minus him in the lineup.

117. spoiler says:

For some reason the bars down here in Cochrane would prefer to put the sound on the Calgary Vancouver game. Fools!

Van’s plane was delayed due to weather, only landed a couple of hours ago… Flames might smeak one out.

118. tcho says:

Dang. Can’t find the game on TV. I’ve got Bell, and the Calgary-Vancouver game showing on two channels… (SN West & Pacific) Thanks for that, Bell. Am I missing something? Oilers site says Sportsnet Edmonton, I believe.

119. BlacqueJacque says:

Great, now get ready for the most boring show on ice.

sigh

edit: actually, that was a great shift by 91-89-14 with the schultzes.

third line gives up a breakaway of course.

120. spoiler says:

fire up the Lemaire robots.

121. jp says:

VanOil:

Funny story. Any chance you are MacT’s illegitimate son?

122. VanOil says:

I think we can all agree that the 4th line for the Oilers in tonight’s contest might be poor to piss poor.

123. VanOil says:

jp: Funny. Any chance you are MacT’s illegitimate son?

When I had hair, maybe, now not so much.

124. Suntory Hanzo says:

Can’t find a link. Feeds are showing NYR game and a Panthers game.

125. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ahh. found one on atdhe.

126. delooper says:

Suntory Hanzo,

The streamhunter.eu “Flash” link is working for me, here in beecee.

Petry is playing like a newborn deer out there. Lordy.

128. ASkoreyko says:

Holly shit, RNH did a spinorama steal? I don’t even care about the points right now, he is going to be scary good!

129. BlacqueJacque says:

Really good shift by Jonesy.

130. sliderule says:

Jones with a nice shift with three puck recovery battles won.

Agree with both of the comments above. That Nuge play was terrific and Jones beat everyone to the puck twice and bulled his way through one time more.

132. SK Oiler Fan says:

Petry is playing like a newborn deer out there. Lordy.

Been like this for 3 weeks. Haven’t heard anything about injury. Looks like he found Grebs acid stash

133. stevezie says:

Jones looking like the player his supporters say he is there.

134. justDOit says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Probably got it from that Stoner guy…

135. Ryan says:

Oilers at 5 shots:

VV, Belanger x 2, Whitney, and Smid – aka not the guys you want shooting unless you’re hoping the starting goalie tweaks his groin.

136. fuzzy muppet says:

Maggie!!

137. Derek says:

My homeboy Magnum scoring the pretty ones!

138. VanOil says:

That it he is Healthy Scratched for sure next game

139. ASkoreyko says:

MPS is having an excellent game, this goal is just further proof. Perhaps Krueger knows what he is doing with the kid?

Paajarvi!!!! #3 baby. Against the DEVIL!

141. delooper says:

MPS is quickly becoming a consistent point producer, and he’s only in the lineup half the time!

142. GordM says:

Can someone tell me how Eric Belanger managed to score 134 NHL goals before joining our fine Edmonton team some 95 games ago?

143. BlacqueJacque says:

What I need to see from Magnus is, well… more Magnus. I’m afraid he’ll disappear the rest of the game.

144. Ryan says:

GordM:

Some including myself and even LT thought he would produce better than Scorcoff.

No clue.

Dammit Maggie scored, that makes him a HS next game for sure.

145. stevezie says:

Ryan:
    Oilers at 5 shots:

It is a good sign that these guys are getting shots (just not that they are the only ones). I think Whitney has looked better lately. Not “I’m back!” better, but better. Granted that’s a low bar.

146. Derek says:

I think this team has a lot of the forward pieces needed to be a playoff team, they’ve just been mismatched to this point. I guess it is only the wild but these forward lines look quite a bit better to my eye.

147. VanOil says:

GordM:

The Joe Thornton effect? Wait that’s the other guy.

148. Ryan says:

What on earth happened to our Nuge?

I would buy into he’s hurt if he actually looked like it. He was PPG pre-injury last year and still producing afterwards.

Nuge is on pace for what 4 goals and 28 points?

Kid plays d so well most games, but his seeing eye passes need glasses this year.

GordM:

Dave Tippett and Jacques Lemaire are Dark Lords? -).

150. delooper says:

Ryan,

Every time he has a scoring chance, he’s been gassing his shots. The shots are either off-target, or he takes so long with the release there’s really no point shooting anymore. It could be some kind of hand/elbow/shoulder problem? It might just be a weird coincidence. He’s clearly taking the defensive end of the game really seriously, maybe it’s draining him.

151. Bruce McCurdy says:

Wow, fast period, only 13 faceoffs, 0 penalties, not much sign of a history between these two teams.

152. Zelepukin says:

You can already notice the benefit of splitting up Gagner and Hemsky. Nuge’s def zone puck retrieval and quickness, seems to be working with the two euro fast breakers.

Ryan:
    What on earth happened to our Nuge?

I would buy into he’s hurt if he actually looked like it.He was PPG pre-injury last year and still producing afterwards.

Nuge is on pace for what 4 goals and 28 points?

There is nothing wrong with Nugent-Hopkins. He is mostly taking on the top centre of the opposite team at 19, and doing okay. Only a matter of time before the offense returns.

If I see Krueger put 55-54-37 out for another Dzone draw against good players, I’m flying to MIN to smack him upside the head.

That line is just goddam awful.

I still don’t understand why they signed Petrell. Just not NHL caliber at all, and Oilers have lots of guys who PK as good as him.

If that line gets one neutral zone shift per period for the rest of the game, the Oilers have a chance.

5 knows better than to stand where he did on the MIN goal. Does no use and a lot of harm up in no man’s land.

Good forecheck from 94-20-28 and 91-89-14

14 has some jump too, good back checks, using his body to separate man from puck in ozone.

Glad to see 91 justify my love.

Soft, no talent Euro scores in the blue paint with Suter’s fist in his face.

Soft.

Euro.

Haha!!

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

155. delooper says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Hard to hate a team that has so many of your ex-teammates on it. Well, unless you really hate your former team!

156. Derek says:

Ryan:
    What on earth happened to our Nuge?

Nuge is on pace for what 4 goals and 28 points?

Horcoff got injured. Nuge sees the other teams top forwards and dmen every night and he’s in his second year in the league. He leads the team in ice time from the forwards and still manages to outshoot the opposition despite it all. At the age of 19.

RNH will be just fine.

Paajarvi!!!! #3 baby. Against the DEVIL!

On pace for 15 being HS and mostly playing with the likes of 55 and 37.

158. delooper says:

Derek: Horcoff got injured.Nuge sees the other teams top forwards and dmen every night and he’s in his second year in the league.He leads the team in ice time from the forwards and still manages to outshoot the opposition despite it all.At the age of 20.

RNH will be just fine.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

159. Ryan says:

Zelepukin:

Yeah, on paper Nuge seems a better bet for Hemsky and 64 while PRV is Brawndo for Gagner.

160. VanOil says:

Woodguy:

I might chip in for air fair in honor of a great comment!

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Hartikainen
    Yakupov, Horcoff, Hemsky
    Smyth, Belanger, Jones.

Just saying.

162. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Yeah, that 4rth line is just unreal.

Tambo could have shaken an upgrade on VV loose at some point over the last several weeks.

Petrell shouldn’t be eating up a roster spot–especially over sideburns.

godot10:
    Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Hartikainen
    Yakupov, Horcoff, Hemsky
    Smyth, Belanger, Jones.

Just saying.

Swap Hemsky and Harski and I love it.

That’s a 4th line that can take a Dzone draw.

164. stevezie says:

Woodguy: Oilers have lots of guys who PK as good as him.

Key phrase imo. I think you can justify a specialist if you are dangerously deficient in one area, but we are a fine pk team. We are certainly not so desperate for a PKer that Petrwell can get away with being good at nothing else. We are incredibly soft, but while Petrell bangs and grinds, he is not excellent at it.

I don’t hate Petrell (he reminds me of me, whic is a tragically accurate statement), but in the words of Jimmy Valmer: Come on.

165. Zelepukin says:

shit Ebs didn’t look good going off there.

166. delooper says:

MPS covered nicely for Whitney there.

167. VanOil says:

I know ideally you like to roll 4 lines, but when the 4th line is this bad. Bench their asses.

Any update on the Oilers feed about Ebs? Fox saying he went down the tunnel.

Paajarvi is really pushing things in a good way on this road trip. Sustain. Sustain. Like Neil Young holding a note. Sustain, young man. don’t lose your confidence!

169. Suntory Hanzo says:

delooper,

Trying your suggestion. Still quite choppy. I’m out in Abbotsford. YOu in lower mainland?

170. BlacqueJacque says:

I like how Petry simply leaned into Heatley and did his best Ox impression.

171. Derek says:

I don’t know that the Oilers are that good on the PK, they’re 23rd in 4×5 SA, and Dubynk has an unreal shorthanded save %.

172. VanOil says:

http://youtu.be/KSSvzCNBvlQ for 91 he needs the love as RK is giving him the tough love

173. Rebilled says:

Wow, for a while I didn’t think the refs could give us a power play.

174. VanOil says:

The Wild one of the poorest shots for team in the league is owning the shot clock even on this PP

175. Derek says:

First shift after the PP stars the Edmonton 4 line vs the Wild 1 line. Wtf

176. delooper says:

Suntory Hanzo,

No, I’m living on a hill on the border between Victoria and Saanich.

The feed isn’t choppy now but it started off a bit choppy.

177. delooper says:

Edmonton should change their team name to the Edmonton Dubnyks.

178. fuzzy muppet says:

Horrible, horrible horrible period. They’ve directed NOTHING at the net

179. VanOil says:

It is quite an accomplishment to have no shots in a period when you have a PP and multiple iceings by the other team. I kind am cheering they see out the period this way now.

180. delooper says:

VanOil:
    It is quite an accomplishment to have no shots in a period when you have a PP and multiple iceings by the other team. I kind a cheering they see out the period this way now.

I remember a lovely Edmonton-Dallas game like that somewhere around 1996. Except it was Dallas that didn’t get a shot in something like two and a half periods.

181. VanOil says:

delooper: I remember a lovely Edmonton-Dallas game like that somewhere around 1996.Except it was Dallas that didn’t get a shot in something like two and a half periods.

I like that way around better.

182. Oilanderp says:

VanOil,

Hey, we had a couple spin-o-ramas, isn’t that enough? At least the score isn’t PMBouchard 4, EDM 0.

183. Bruce McCurdy says:

Well the good news is that Taylor Hall is clearly the best player in the history of the Universe. The bad news is that without him, his team sucks. 18-0 ???

184. Derek says:

Shots 29-7 Wild.

185. delooper says:

Bouchard looks like a Romulan.

186. VanOil says:

I know I posted a link to it earlier but i can not recommend enough this article about old time hockey. It better than listing to Sportnets Period report.

187. delooper says:

Bruce McCurdy:

That’s Taylor “Harry Potter” Hall to you!

188. hunter1909 says:

Taylor Hall

- 2x Memorial Cup winner and MVP

- First Hart trophy winner from a lottery team.

Out shot 18-0 by the 2nd worst shot attempt team in the NHL.

They should all get a spanking.

Looks like 14 might be hurt.

Time to move Petrell to a scoring line , amirite!?!?!

This is awful to watch.

190. delooper says:

Quick, somebody get Corey Potter to run over Yakupov’s forehead!

191. hunter1909 says:

delooper: That’s Taylor “Harry Potter” Hall to you!

Make that Taylor “Cyclone” Hall and it’s a deal.

192. BlacqueJacque says:

Wow, Huberdeau with his 10th goal in Florida tonight.

193. hunter1909 says:

Cyclone Taylor – Hall

lol

194. knighttown says:

I said it after the last Minny game, if it were up to me I would refuse to play their stupid-ass game of chess. I’d come out in the 3rd and just stand behind my own net for 20 minutes. I’d love to see them do this and make two statements at one time:

1. Trap hockey is cancer that needs to be cut out. Perhaps shining a spotlight on it will cause the league to act.

2. Bettman points are, what’s worse than cancer…Huntington’s? Anyway, also the scourge of the league and a team holding on to a tie by refusing to play the last 20 minutes might highlight that too.

I’m sorry this is so over the top but Pens/Habs played a 7-6 game which isn’t uncommon in that conference. Why do I have to watch this shit?

195. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Woodguy,

Yes, I do WG.

If it means moving Petry for another right handed defensemen……………….You know where I’m going with this………..

Rhymes with Smebber

I cannot believe it’s 1-1. Watching this game you’d think one team is an NHL team and the other is from Yemen. SOUTH Yemen, where there’s not a lot of ice.

197. sliderule says:

The oil are already into the holding on for a tie mode.

That is the only reason I could see why RK had Petrell out for o zone face off with only few seconds l left.

Newer Comments »