OKC V ROCKFORD 9.3.13

The OKC Barons are in a tight playoff race and every point counts. A heartbreaking shootout loss to Rockford last night serves as the backdrop for the game tonight against those same Ice Hogs.

I spoke to Neal Livingston today on the radio show (last segment 1 hr 40mins in) and he offered some great insight into the current team. Livingston told me the guy who everyone watches now is Toni Rajala. Looking at team scoring since January 1st, I’m not surprised:

1. Jonathan Cheechoo 16, 8-10-18 1.125
  17. Andrew Hotham 14, 0-2-2 .143
  18. Alex Plante 9, 0-1-1 .111
  19. Curtis Hamilton 20, 1-1-2 .100
  20. Tanner House 21, 2-0-2 .095
  21. Randy Jones 11, 0-1-1 .091
  22. Chris VandeVelde 13, 1-0-1 .077

The goaltending has not been good lately, the club’s goaltenders are miles from the kind of performance OKC enjoyed last season. Since January 1:

• Olivier Roy .894
  • Niko Hovinen .889
  • Yann Danis .847
  • Tyler Bunz .667

The AHL team is important to Edmonton, now and certainly into the future. Since 2010, the following “minor leaguers” have been in the NHL for at least 1 game:

• Magnus Paajarvi 140, 21-25-46
  • Jeff Deslauriers 4, 2.74 .902
  • Phil Cornet 2, 0-1-1
  • Richard Petiot 2, 0-0-0
  • Mark Arcobello 1, 0-0-0
  • Milan Kytnar 1, 0-0-0
  • Johan Motin 1, 0-0-0

Now I’ve included players who have also spent significant time in the NHL (Paajarvi, etc) but it’s also true a trip to the minors can re-set a difficult season. Schultz went from college to the minors due to the lockout, but I included him in this look. Even discouting those names, Jeff Petry, Linus Omark, Teemu Hartikainen and others have come to us via the Barons.

That’s a nice group, suspect we’ll be seeing Fedun, Marincin, Pelss and some others in Edmonton down the line.

35 Responses to "OKC V ROCKFORD 9.3.13"

Cornet (Cheechoo, Marincin)

Cornet (Cheechoo, Marincin)

For some reason I read this and though Cheech Marin was driving a Coronet.

Cornet gets his 2nd of the night, Clark and Rajala assists

Woodguy: For some reason I read this and though Cheech Marin was driving a Coronet.

Hahaha. Gunned and high, gunned and high. (Cheech).

Green (Marincin) 3-0 OKC

6. "Steve Smith" says:

I can’t see Rajala having a full-time NHL career, but I’ll bet his games played total winds up in the double-digits, which is itself a hell of an accomplishment for a 163 pounder picked 101st overall.

I’m cheering for him, anyway. But hell, he’s Finnish, so I assume that we all are.

7. stevezie says:

I believe Clark would have to pass waivers to come up, but I am not sure. Shouldnt we call him up either way? If we call him up at the same time as we send Peckham or Potter down, might it confuse the league into taking the wrong one? Hammrlik almost passed, shouldn’t an aging minor leaguer have a shot?

8. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie:
    I believe Clark would have to pass waivers to come up, but I am not sure.

Unless I’m very much mistaken, under the new CBA players never have to clear waivers when passing from the AHL to the NHL (I haven’t read the CBA; this is my understanding based on second-hand reports). All parties seem to have realized that the re-entry waiver provisions of the previous CBA served no purpose other than keeping NHL-worthy players in the minors.

Clark, of course, isn’t signed to an NHL contract and isn’t on any club’s reserve list, but I don’t think there’s any similar provision for the AHL as there is for the European leagues.

9. sliderule says:

I would think that they will give Marcinin a look after the road trip.

Guy has 21 pts with very little PP time.

Plus 16 and next best d with much time negative.

Give 5games and see how he does

Zharkov with a goal again tonight
    McCarron has an assist tonight

Arcobello (cheechoo, Cornet)

test

“Steve Smith”: Unless I’m very much mistaken, under the new CBA players never have to clear waivers when passing from the AHL to the NHL (I haven’t read the CBA; this is my understanding based on second-hand reports).All parties seem to have realized that the re-entry waiver provisions of the previous CBA served no purpose other than keeping NHL-worthy players in the minors.

You may be mistaken:

The New Jersey Devils meanwhile have claimed Tom Kostopoulos from the Pittsburgh Penguins. The 34-year old has yet to suit up in the NHL this season, having played 17 games for AHL, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. During that span he’s registered 3 goals and 7 points.
    This claim is a peculiar one given that the Penguins just signed Kostopoulos to a NHL contract but he had to clear waivers in order to play for Pittsburgh. The Devils evidently swooped in and snagged him, out from under the Penguins. Some call it dirty pool, others call it the art of business in the National Hockey League.

I think you have to be on the protected list at the beginning of the season to avoid waivers.

14. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

Is the text of the new CBA online anywhere? I can only find a summary of its terms.

15. speeds says:

Woodguy,

I’m not certain either way, it’s possible the writer of that bolded paragraph is mistaken on how things went down.

That’s the Penguins release, and in that release they say:

“Kostopoulos’ contract is a two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level.

Kostopoulos will be placed on waivers on Tuesday at 12 p.m. If he clears waivers, he will be re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Wednesday afternoon.”

So, it’s not clear entirely clear that Kostopoulos would have had to clear waivers if PIT was keeping him in the NHL, if they weren’t assigning him to the AHL.

16. speeds says:

Also, it appears like CAL didn’t have to place Danny Taylor on waivers right when they signed him earlier this year, I can’t remember reading a ton about this at the time. He was signed on the 6th, and not placed on waivers until the 12th, sent down on the 13th.

He dressed, but didn’t play in the following games between the 6th and 12th:

17. jp says:

Magnus Paajarvi 140, 21-25-46
    Jeff Petry 132,6-29-35
    Linus Omark 65, 8-22-30

Huh. Almost looks as though that Omark chump could have played in the NHL.

speeds:
    Also, it appears like CAL didn’t have to place Danny Taylor on waivers right when they signed him earlier this year, I can’t remember reading a ton about this at the time.He was signed on the 6th, and not placed on waivers until the 12th, sent down on the 13th.

He dressed, but didn’t play in the following games between the 6th and 12th:

I think you are right about the re-assignment thing with Kostopoulos

Just found the section in a ROR thing:

This is Rule 13.23:

In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

19. speeds says:

“Steve Smith”,

No, According to @EricOnSportsLaw it’s now completed, but I haven’t seen it posted anywhere. Last CBA the NHLPA posted on their website, hopefully the same happens this time as well.

“Steve Smith”:
    Woodguy,

Is the text of the new CBA online anywhere?I can only find a summary of its terms.

Its not a CBA yet, still MOU.

I haven’t looked that hard yet…

26A is interesting.

My guess is the NHLPA wanted it.

Might as well call it the Jeff Cater got fucked by Holmgren Rule:

No Move/No Trade Clauses that are negotiated as part of a contract extension may become
    effective immediately upon execution of, but prior to the effectiveness of, the extension contract,
    provided:
    a) The Player is otherwise currently eligible to have a No Move/No Trade Clause, and
    b) The Club with whom the contract extension is entered into agrees to make the No
    Move/No Trade Clause effective immediately upon execution of the extension contract.

22. RickDeckard says:

Woodguy,

I don’t think you are allowed to have a NTC/NMC during during an “RFA year” and Carter only had 6 years of service to that point.

23. tcho says:

LT – I really enjoyed your radio show today especially your segment with Woodguy. I’d like to make a suggestion for your site. You have a really good section linking to other hockey blogs. Would you consider adding a “resources” section under the blogs? You, WG, and several others are often referencing very cool stats sites. I always think to myself, “I should check that one out…” Time passes and I forget the details and where to find them. A brief description of what each site focuses on, and a link to it would be great.

TCHO: Sure. What would you like to see?

Horcoff activated tomorrow morning.

25. FastOil says:

Woodguy: You may be mistaken:

The New Jersey Devils meanwhile have claimed Tom Kostopoulos from the Pittsburgh Penguins.The 34-year old has yet to suit up in the NHL this season, having played 17 games for AHL, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. During that span he’s registered 3 goals and 7 points.
    This claim is a peculiar one given that the Penguins just signed Kostopoulos to a NHL contract but he had to clear waivers in order to play for Pittsburgh.The Devils evidently swooped in and snagged him, out from under the Penguins.Some call it dirty pool, others call it the art of business in the National Hockey League.

Bottom line being successfull (at least making playoffs) teams don’t let competitor’s pick up an advantage, of any kind, at least in Lou’s domain. A GM has to be a horse trader and strategist along with assessing talent properly to be good. Is that what the Oilers have?

26. RickDeckard says:

FastOil,

Edmonton’s GM is more suited to shoveling up after a horse than trading one.

27. tcho says:

LT,

Something along the lines of:

Corsi is a stat that…

For a look at corsi… [provide links]

Zone starts are…

For a look at zone starts… [provide links]

WOWY is a way of measuring how…

For a look at WOWY see… [provide links]

Etc.

Vollman and other good stuff could go in here.

28. stevezie says:

I might be so bold as to suggest that Even if Clark has to clear waivers, we should still try and call him up. It might screw up OKC’s playoff chances, but big picture there is more to be lost by sticking with out current defence, is there not?

Or am I reading too much into Clark’s OKC success? Would Potter have similar numbers? (History says no, but maybe Clark is riding the same luck that Potter had last season?)

Davidson called up to OKC.

Wonder if there’s going to be movement on the D?

30. Ryan says:

At this point, I’m not sure that it makes sense to call up Brett Clark.

Now, I’ve haven’t watched him play much, but he’s 36 years old, so in terms of his age, he’s not a solution going forward (next season).

He was -26 on a 10th in East Lightening in 2011-12, so I don’t know that he would necessarily be that much of an upgrade out of one of our 3 #7 dmen playing on the bottom pairing. I’m not saying that he wouldn’t either, just that it wouldn’t accomplish much either way.

From BTN and I don’t like advanced stats as much for dmen as forwards, it looks like he had a positive zone push, played against the 4rth toughest corsil QOC with 6h best corsi QOT. His PDO was 975, so he was a little unlucky. In spite of that, he was the worst 5v5 dman on the Lightening that season by a wide margin and he’s older now.

This season is in the books for the Oilers, so the only thing that matters now is asset management.

If the Oilers can move some of their dead wood for any type of picks, that’s a plus (Belanger, Eager, Petrell, Khabi, Whitney, Potter, Jones,Peckham..)

Along with that they have to deal with contracts for Smid and Gagner.

There are rumors that the Pens are interested in Smid. Given that the Oilers don’t have enough actual NHL defensemen, I don’t see how they can send Smid to the Pens without losing. That is unless there’s a smorgasbord of dmen that I don’t know about this upcoming free agency…

Gagner’s point production could make him expensive… All that means is the Oilers are likely to reward him with an albatross of a contract that will keep him in Edmonton until he retires and booed till he does (see Horcov, Shawn).

Next up: the draft. Would it be a miracle of SMB could find a player with our 2nd round pick who tracks towards a top 4 d or top 6 forward?

My gut tells me that the Oilers will trade their 2nd in this year’s draft maybe in a package for a guy like Clowe. Next season, we’ll see the tires are bald, but Stevie Y told Tambo to go for it.

The Oilers are widely regarded around the league as sellers already. What they will sell aside from the deadwood?

The only items on the table could include Gagner, Hemsky, Smid, PRV, and Jones. Now we all know Jones isn’t a very good hockey player (cue WG), but the Oilers like his flow.

If the Oilers trade PRV now, I think it will be a mistake unless the return is an actual NHL hockey player (top 9/4) with tread left on the tires.

Hemsky’s been dangled for years, but they have never liked the return. This year could be different.

Gagner’s been dangled too but they lose the trade unless they get a 2C with tread on the tires back in return. I don’t see that happening.

stevezie:

Ryan,

RK had him on the 4th line pretty quickly when he got back.

If 83 plays today, 28 is on the 4th again I think.

4-93-14
    91-89-83
    94-10-64
    13-20-28

Is my guess is 83 is back.

10 is playing (can’t hold his stick well or take a draw, but he’s playing)

32. bluenotenorth says:

tcho:
    LT,

Something along the lines of:

Corsi isa stat that…

For a look at corsi… [provide links]

Zone starts are…

For a look at zone starts… [provide links]

WOWY is a way of measuring how…

For a look at WOWY see… [provide links]

Etc.

Vollman and other good stuff could go in here.

bluenotenorth: Also links to raw data. For example where to find data to enable an assessment of player X playing with and without certain line mates.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ does the WOWY for you. It also allow you to parse the data via goal, shots, corsi, or his version individual stats.

THEN he gives you more options to take straight 5v5 stats, zone adjusted 5v5, and zone adjusted 5v5 close (when the score spread is 2 or less, the most important game state)

Its a pretty unreal site.

34. bluenotenorth says: