TRADING FLOOR?

If the Oilers and Boston are talking, I’m going to suggest a deal could get done. These two teams have been trading partners for some very famous deals (Moog-Ranford, Guerin-Carter) and one suspects there’s a match here too.

What will Edmonton give up? Whitney is strongly rumored, Hemsky has been mentioned a lot, Paajarvi, Khabibulin, and on it goes. The Oilers are likely going to be asking for roster players, so names like Nathan Horton, Johnny Boychuk as well as prospects like Alex Khokhlachev, Ryan Spooner and others could be involved.

Bruins-Oilers trade talk is something we should treat seriously.

201 Responses to "TRADING FLOOR?"

Newer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

Don’t they lose their young goalie for nothing next year? Khudobin? He has solid numbers, is 26 but no real NHL experience, and he is a UFA next year. he would be worth a shot and a solid return, and give us a guy who we can sign to push Dubnyk at not a great cost. They have a cup team for 2 years, so maybe they crazily think Bulin is an upgrade. Would he come back for Bulin?

Whitney for a prospect as well?

2. DBO says:

from staples:

This just in from from Boston hockey reporter Joe Haggerty of CNNE: “Don’t be shocked if its the name Magnus Paajarvi that you hear paired with Ryan Whitney in trade discussions w/the Bruins.”

And I vomited in my mouth. motherfucker this better not happen. This is the Size and meanness trade. Those two for Lucic at $6 mill cap hit.

3. Kirby says:

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 29m
    Don’t be shocked if its the name Magnus Paajarvi that you hear paired with Ryan Whitney in trade discussions w/the Bruins #BruinsTalk

Unless the return is something significant, I am not a fan of this if there is any legitimacy to it.

P.S. First time posting, long time reader.

4. canucknnv says:

I had better be Lucic. It’s no secret thats who the Oilers covet so they might as well make it happen if its there.

5. hunter1909 says:

Trading Pajaarvi essentially condemns oiler’s to 1972 Pittsburgh pens status forever and a day, so I’m sceptical.

On the other hand, I’m sure this will send enough of you into raptures that whatever fucktard originated it will enjoy their trollburger tonight with extra relish.

6. DBO says:

hunter1909:

LOL. awesome.

7. boopronger says:

Meh, as long as they get good return, i wouldnt sweat losing prv. Not aggressive enough imo and will never put up big points.

8. DBO says:

for those wondering. here is the link for Boston’s prospects.

No idea who they would look for.

9. coolwasabi says:

canucknnv:

Lucic? Pfft. He’s slumping.
    It better be Chara. The Oilers could really use a perennial Norris-candidate dman like Chara.

10. leadfarmer says:

boopronger,

11. sliderule says:

When I hear all the crap Gregor and Brownlee are throwing out it makes me really nervous.

I just hope those two guys don’t have their ears to the right wall.

Whitney would be a good pickup for Boston as a PP specialist.How much they would give up I don’t know.

I can’t se us trading Habi before the next two games as we still have a favorable schedule for a run.

12. slopitch says:

Hemsky with Krejci makes some sense. They were great together in the lockout.

Whitney+Hemsky for Lucic I would do. I suspect thats a homer move that no one on Boston would.

13. eidy says:

I am looking forward to getting dougie Hamilton.

I assume that’s who they are getting….. Wishful thinking

Ps please don’t trade MPS

14. canucknnv says:

coolwasabi,

nah, he won’t fit in the Katz jet

15. MrSmitty says:

I am ready with my torch and pitchfork if Paajarvi is going out the door.

16. leadfarmer says:

I see Klefbom is on hf as the 22nd best prospect. I like the player, but I dont think I would put him anywhere near that high. Probably would be there without injuries, but 2 season ending injuries in a row.

17. eidy says:

I know people are against trading hemsky, but trading him and his contract is better than trading 91. 91 should be a bargain fo the next number of years

18. MrSmitty says:

eidy:

I agree with this. I would much rather trade Hemsky, but it better be for a damn good return.

19. justDOit says:

hunter1909,

Two words – I learned two words right there, although my wife doesn’t agree with them being used at the dinner table. She’s such a fucktard…

20. Maverick says:

If the Bruins and Oilers are talking trades and it becomes a bigger deal would the Oilers provide the Bruins a little cap relief??

The prospect from the Bruins the Oilers would be looking at would be Max Sauve, a center over 6 feet, has a great work ethic, however, he has been injured quite often since his draft year of 2008.

Interesting times…..

21. fuzzy muppet says:

Alex Khochlachev(Bruins) a late AHL scratch. Now reports of Iginla getting scratched. MPS, Hemsky, Whitney rumors everywhere!

This is gonna be a fun week

22. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer: Every oiler is tradeable. I would even trade Nuge and Hall. For the right price.

This is what trading Coffey, Gretzky, then Messier while keeping palooka plug ins like Lowe/MacT does to the collective psyche of certain areas of the fanbase. Try polling habs fans re the feasability of trading Rocket Richard aged 27 for cash, prospects and picks.

23. leadfarmer says:

fuzzy muppet,

5’10″ center under 200 lbs. Sounds like we have a winner.

24. hunter1909 says:

Katz should stop acting like a fucking pansy, and roll out the red carpet for Messier/Gretzky/Andersonj(he’s uber trendy!) /Kurri/Coffey…hell offer them all vice president for life jobs.

Then watch KLowe/MacT demoted so quickly it would make even Katz’s head spin.

25. hunter1909 says:

if i had any talent I’d make a GIF of Katz’s head on a cat body, spinning around and round.

26. hockeyguy10 says:

Gagner and Whitney for Krejci and a pick or prospect? Gives the B’s a better power play.

27. mumbai max says:

The Oilogosphere is a strange and conflicted place. People shout from the rooftops that Tambo should DO something. Then, when it appears that he might, they all shout in unison, ‘ BUT NOT THAT’!

The climate has been created for him to do something stupid just to keep fans happy. Most of the best trades are the ones that do not happen. Peckham and Omark do not return a top 4 D. Sorry about that. If you want one of those or a Lucic, someone you like has to leave.

Personally, except for jettisoning spare parts, I support a bit more dithering.

28. hunter1909 says:

sliderule: Oilers have a history of trading skill for toughness or skill for nothing see Satan.

29. "Steve Smith" says:

mumbai max: Personally, except for jettisoning spare parts, I support a bit more dithering.

As do I. There are a lot of spare parts, though, Whitney among them.

30. steveb12344 says:

hunter1909: I remember ignoring the Oilers sans the first 2 weeks of every season after the Messier for Nicholls trade, and thinking aloud just wtf happened to a 5 cup dynasty team reduced to having Satan as a player.

You’ve got a good point there. They would have literally burned The Forum to the ground.

(edit) I was replying to the comment of trading Richard.

31. jake70 says:

Wonder if Marchand involved, the little ball of hate.

32. "Steve Smith" says:

My father loved that guy. He’s a pretty casual fan, but while Miro was here he’d watch a lot of games, just to shout “Go Satan!” (pronounced like Lucifer, obviously). We Smith men are big fans of sophisticated humour, as all regulars here are no doubt aware.

33. Ducey says:

DBO:
    for those wondering. here is the link for Boston’s prospects.

No idea who they would look for.

Thanks

Jared Knight and Max Sauve look interesting. So does Malcolm Subban. Most of B’s prospects are not good fits for the Oilers – but what do I know.

Find someone who was ranked high in the draft and played well in the world juniors – thats who they will get. :)

34. justDOit says:

jake70:
    Wonder if Marchand involved, the little ball of hate.

Go, Satan. And he did, because Ron Low didn’t like him. Sheesh!

36. Marc says:

It’s interesting that all these rumours about Edmonton and Boston talking trade come to light today, when Calgary and Boston are known to be discussing Iginla.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston put the word out (note that that it was two Boston journalists KP DuPont (who is Boston’s Matty) and Haggery) to put some pressure on Calgary to lower their price a bit.

Not unlike Calgary’s interest in Smyth coming to light when talks between Edmonton and LA bogged down…

37. justDOit says:

So what had Mrs Fussy Britches been tweeting these days? I don’t twit, and therefore can’t even read her stuff because she’s closed her account to non-twits like me.

38. Ducey says:

justDOit: There’s some ‘careful what you wish for’ for Oiler fans right there – added grit, decreased team size.

39. Maverick says:

Where’s Kirk Luedeke when you need him to update us all on the Bruins prospects.

I’m guessing he might be on Lowetide at High Noon on Saturday!

Maverick:

I’m guessing he might be on Lowetide at High Noon on Saturday!

Already asked and replied, so count on it!

41. leadfarmer says:

Dont care for the Flames, but kind of hope Iginla finishes his career there.

42. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: I can’t see Boston trading anyone off their current roster like Marchand or Lucic. They are loading up for a Cup run after all. It has to be someone on the periphery, in the minors or a pick.

That’s what sets the elite GM’s apart from the hacks. Adding Pajaarvi, who IMO is set to break out is potentially the stuff of legends.

43. hunter1909 says:

oiler’s meanwhile have the special needs GM at the helm, so anyone who wants to fret re MPS feel free to do so….because eventually we’ll all be joining you.

Lander (Fedun, Hartikainen)

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 23h

#hawks have Interest in Khabibulin also APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 23h

#Oilers listening to offers for Jones and Petrell APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

Oilers still talking to #Sens about Bishop APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

Oilers looking for a Center have had talks with the #Blue Jackets interested in Letestu APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

Oilers listening to offers for Smid but are still talking APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

#kings interested in Peckham
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

Boston Carolina and Wings interested in Whitney APG
    Tracy Tracy ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 26 Mar

#Leafs interested in Khabibulin talks still on APG

46. Captain Obvious says:

The Bruins aren’t going to trade roster players. However, if they did here are some adjusted +/- from last year measured against replacement level. All numbers are from last year

Lucic + 28
    Horton + 17 (similar to Lucic on a per minute basis)
    Boychuk +13 average NHL Dman
    Ference +3 below average NHL Dman

And some Oilers:

Gagner: +25
    Hemsky: +12 (no powerplay production at all)
    Smid +14 solidly average NHL Dman
    Whitney +7 all the plus is on the powerplay, worse than Ference at even strength
    Pajaarvi 0 (he really had a bad year last year)

[Edit] Letestu +9 but most of value on powerplay. well below average at even strength.

Yandle is +25, I’d trade for him in a heartbeat
    Couturier is +19 in limited playing time. One of the best young players in the game. These are the kind of players we should be targeting.

47. Lucinius says:

The idea of trading future, possible integral pieces like Paajarvi rubs me the wrong way. Sure the kid has had a lot of ups and downs in his NHL career but he’s started to really get it and actually fits one of the more elusive spots on the Oiler roster the past few years (two way winger with some scoring ability and sound defensive ability). Not only that but he’s one of the few Oilers to have already found good chemistry with the Russian Vibrator (called as such by a friend who noted that the guy vibrates and shakes so much from excitement any time anything even remotely positive happens — kind of like a terrier).

I’m not saying ‘never’ to a trade involving Paajarvi, only that the Oilers damn well get the better of it (oh, man.. I think I just hurt myself laughing). Same goes for anyone young and/or skilled. If the Oilers ever want to content they have to, at worst, pull even in any trade.

Honestly, what the Oilers need is for Maclean to be a general manager again. Guy was dumb enough that you could fleece him twice in the same deal.

48. prairieschooner says:

Bruins fans are having kittens with the rumours that they might land Iggy Hemsky and Whitney.
    As expected the Oilers players getting dumped on, though not by everyone.
    Apparently Koko has been scratched from their AHL team which makes it look like he is in play on an Iggy deal.
    Who is left from the brains trust to look after trades? Afterall the band have a gig just now trying to land Keyser Soze which leaves Tambi to pull the trigger with Boston……..or he could just wait till the Band get back in town.

49. hunter1909 says:

Lucinius: The idea of trading future, possible integral pieces like Paajarvi rubs me the wrong way.

Or don’t you like teams who trade away their best prospects for veteran help, like the 1960′s LA Kings?

50. sliderule says:

I just hope my prediction doesn’t come true were we do an islanders and trade away all our prospects for shit.

51. Lucinius says:

hunter1909,

Never saw the 1960′s LA Kings; I hadn’t been born yet (for awhile, even). But yeah. You only trade pieces like Paajarvi after you know what you have, and we don’t. He could really blossom into something special (not Eberle/Hall/Hopkins/Yakupov special, of course) and already fits very well into the NHL roster.. and is an actual NHL player.

That and I like him. He’s probably my third favourite Oiler at the moment; in large part because of how he skates is just sublime. Hell, could be a real bad week for me, my three favourite Oilers all have rumours swirling about them (Hemsky, Smid, Paajarvi).

prairieschooner:
    As expected the Oilers players getting dumped on, though not by everyone.
    Who is left from the brains trust to look after trades? Afterall the bandhave a gig just now trying to land Keyser Soze whichleaves Tambi to pull the trigger with Boston……..or he could just wait till theBand get back in town.

I think it was WG on twitter who mentioned Nathan Horton, that would make sense if the Flames are getting inexpensive bits back from the Bruins.

53. justDOit says:

Thanks LT – so basically, nothing much from Ms FB.

54. Genjutsu says:

What If its Hamilton for PRV+Whitney+nik+

There is your 3 for 1 LT.

55. stevezie says:

Genjutsu,

If their scouts think Whitney and Nik are comparable to Ramage and Wamsley that trade makes historical sense, and their scouts should be fired.

But yes, I would do that deal.

56. Genjutsu says:

I
    stevezie,

The plus on our side would have to be substantial.

A man can dream though.

57. rich says:

sliderule:
    I just hope my prediction doesn’tcome true were we do an islanders and trade away all our prospects for shit.

What he said.

Lowe and Tambellini channel their inner Mike Milbury. I will fly to Edmonton and join the brigade with torches and pitchforks if this management team is that stupid.

58. Ducey says:

hunter1909: Kind of like Sam Pollock trading Guy Lafleur, after deciding he was a bust after his 1st two uneventful seasons?

Does MPS look like Guy Lafleur through that bottle of yours ?

Plante’s 1st goal for OKC ties it, Rajala with another assist, he 9-19-28 in his last 27 games

60. Gret99zky says:

With Iggy an HS tonight, this sounds more to do with the Flames and less to do with the Oilers.

Hemsky goes to Detroit, right LT? He has always gone to Detroit.

ST is on the phone with Holland right now. Asking how to get the Bruins game on.

Gret99zky:

Hemsky goes to Detroit, right LT?He has always gone to Detroit.

ST is on the phone with Holland right now.Asking how to get the Bruins game on.

Detroit makes sense for Hemsky. Not for me, but for him.

62. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: Does MPS look like Guy Lafleur through that bottle of yours ?

What bottle? Do you mean alcohol, a substance that I occasionally drink? Sorry for breathing.

Pajaarvi’s been pretty inconsistent / rookie/sophomore player Guy Lafleur was nothing to write home about either.

Anything else? Feeling clever?

63. Ice Sage says:

Lowetide: Detroit makes sense for Hemsky. Not for me, but for him.

Saw him but good in ’06

Magnus Paajarvi, a bigger faster more talented Ed Westfall

65. leadfarmer says:

We sure know how to pick the little guys.

66. striatic says:

Hemsky and Whitney should be traded this year. in a package to Boston would be great but now that the Bruins seem to have landed Iginla i can’t see them being that interested in Hemsky, despite the Krejci connection.

67. VanOil says:

Ducey: Does MPS look like Guy Lafleur through that bottle of yours ?

I have written that previously that Paaravi has reminded me of the Flowers wonderful perimeter shot. I also noted that the perimeter shot is no longer that useful with modern goal keeping equipment. I firmly believe Oilers hockey viewing is better with a drink in hand.

Speaking of drink. Is Omark enough or do you have to add Whitney in a trade with Detroit for “superdrunk” Riley Sheahan. He is the 2nd ranked Wings Center prospect and the #1 Center on there AHL team. I figure that is a pretty good comparable to Oilers 4th line. Plus Oilers have a storied history on taking on players with a history of drunk driving.

68. Thinker says:

Looking everywhere for mor info. The guy on hockeybuzz(not credible whatsoever) brought up lucic for oilers first pajaarvi and whitney. Hard to stomach the first, and i can’t really see boston giving up lucic. However, that first could be top ten or higher in a deep draft. It’s like heatley all over again (me hiding under the covers hoping to god it doesn’t go through).

69. hunter1909 says:

Watching TSN Tradecentre where they talk about trading Iginla, the thing they don’t understand is it’s more interesting to check out their suits than the commentary. Craig Button’s winning, but for all the wrong reasons.

70. BlacqueJacque says:

Thinker:

You know he’s not credible. You bring him up on a forum where the opinion of him is so bad that not only do we ignore anything posted on that site, but we also don’t even bother commenting on him.

So why worry? An E5 is like a gold-plated guarantee that nothing like that will happen.

hunter1909: credible whatsoever) brought up lucic for oilers first pajaarvi and whitney. Hard to stomach the first, and i can’t really see boston giving up lucic. However, that first could be top ten or higher in a deep draft. It’s like heatley all over again (me hiding under the covers hoping to god it doesn’t go through).

Chiarelli disembowelled Burke on the Kessel deal. Looks like he wants to do a double this time, both Feaster and Lowe.

Lowetide, you promised MacT would say “Are you really sure you want to do that?”

73. Ice Sage says:

Bruins could use iggy’s poise tonite. Hans showing how a small team can fight

74. Ducey says:

Boston have a little rookie named Torey Krug and Aaron Johnson playing defense tonight. Whitney would be an upgrade on either of those guys.

75. VanOil says:

Watching the Bruins and Habs and remembering hockey can be an exciting game when the Oilers aren’t breaking your heart.

76. hunter1909 says:

godot10,

Pajaarvi, blossoming in front of our(but probably not management’s) eyes added to the Bruins will help them contend for every second and more whenever Lowe’s Fool and the Gang imagine they too will magically contend, despite trading away what little future they currently possess in their headlong rush to canonise Horcoff.

:p

77. gcw_rocks says:

it feels like we are about to see proof that MacT is as big an idiot as Lowe, Tambo and Howson.

godot10:
    Chiarelli disembowelled Burke on the Kessel deal.Looks like he wants to do a double this time, both Feaster and Lowe.

I’m sure he’s saying it!

79. stevezie says:

godot10:

Chiarelli also paid as much for Kaberle as the lames are looking to get or Iginla. Granted, Kaberle was in the middle of a good season and Iggy is not, but still, disembowellments go both ways.

80. Thinker says:

BlacqueJacque,

Needed the reencouragement(sp?). Full on panic mode as tambo is home alone and bloodlust is sweeping over the city. Something stupid is about to happen and i don’t like it one bit .

81. pboy says:

Sports Illustrated’s Alan Muir is reporting that Iggy has left the Saddledome. If I had any humanity left, I would feel for the Flames fans.

Just kidding. Fuck those guys.

82. Lucinius says:

pboy,

According to TSN’s JFranklin Iginla was never at the Saddledome tonight, as told to him by the team. Which, imo, shows he is on the move either tonight or tomorrow. McKenzie says sources have told him not to expect the Iginla trade tonight now.

83. Ice Sage says:

End of an era in Cowtown. They’ll b ok, Baertschi is god

84. Lucinius says:

Also, looks like Anaheim and Minnesota are going to make things harder for us.

85. bookje says:

Lowetide: I’m sure he’s saying it!

If MacT were coaching the team now, I am pretty sure Pajaarvi would already be gone. MacT liked guys who were gritty and had no use for guys like Pajaarvk who don’t use their size.

86. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

Okay, maybe 9/11 was a little bit of an inside job.

bookje: If MacT were coaching the team now, I am pretty sure Pajaarvi would already be gone.MacT liked guys who were gritty and had no use for guys like Pajaarvk who don’t use their size.

88. Lucinius says:

bookje,

Some of us don’t really blame or accredit anyone and merely drink while mulling over if we should toss molotov cocktails into the head office or somesuch.

Or is that just me?

89. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: As for the rules of the game around here, they are as they’ve always been: voice your opinion, and live with the results.

Wait, I’m supposed to be voicing my opinion? But I’ve always found voicing Dellow’s, Captain Obvious’s, Woodguy’s, et al’s (I don’t know if that’s even the correct possessive form of “et al” – what kind of a lawyer/pedantic grammar shithead am I, anyway?) to be much more congenial.

So, uh, that Taylor Hall guy. He’s…pretty…good at…playing hockey?

90. hunter1909 says:

Ironic how “Steve Smiths” online slander has taken flight, as my reputation suffers from his ill will and spitefulness.

Meanwhile the REAL convicted alkies rule Rexall, and my money adds Kevin to the MacT AA squad but the difference being he’s able to drink himself silly in his Presidential office any time he likes. They make a lot of alkie style decisions, like never acting in a normal manner – instead always trying to look extra clever(while making asses of themselves).

Similarly a drunk boyfriend will promise to build his gf’s 8 year old a fully operating dollhouse, with electricity and everything, but somehow the thing never gets past the early stages and sans lighting, furniture, carpets, tiny paintings and kitchenware, it ends up instead being used for basement shelving.

91. Lucinius says:

Bah, Barons lost. To the Forsberg move, naturally.

92. Gret99zky says:

Gretzky at the Flames game tonight.

hunter: I’m drinking, does that help?

94. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:

No ill-will or spite, truth be told – my impression was that you (or, more accurately, your online persona, that being all of you I know) were a self-proclaimed over-imbiber. It appears that I misinterpreted your comments in reaching that impression. I haven’t repeated my characterization since you made clear that you objected to it, and I won’t do so moving forward.

So, to be clear: if anybody reached any conclusions about Hunter’s consumption patterns based purely on my characterization of them, you should disregard those conclusions immediately, because I was speaking from a position of deep ignorance.

Sorry about that, Hunter – seriously.

Well. Steve Smith is an enabler. Well.

96. loosemoose says:

stevezie,

I’m pretty sure Kaberle was the leading scorer for defenceman on the Bruins during their Cup run…..

What’s the return accomplished in Toronto so far?

Steep price, but I can’t see anyone in Boston complaining……

97. hunter1909 says:

I’m Irish. They make movies about these people.

98. Kitchener says:

pboy,

The only thing better than seeing the Flames suck is, well, nothing.

99. hunter1909 says:

PS: Lately, Italians have muscled into both the directing and acting of the Irish myth. It’s been getting skewed as a result of sawn off midget star DiCaprio in particular, throwing his 108 pound weight around like the second coming of Mickey the leprechaun.

100. gcw_rocks says:

Gret99zky,

Gretzky at the Flames game tonight.

is that even legal?

101. Ducey says:

So that hockeybuzz guy says the the Oilers trade MPS, Whitney and their first to Boston for the great white whale Lucic. They then trade MPS and the 1st to GY for Iggy.

102. Lucinius says:

Ducey,

……………..

Edit: I should add.. thank god its from that twit. That trade would bother me. Calgary is not allowed to have MPS or our first round pick. Its just not right.

103. BlacqueJacque says:

So you know, Montreal, the team that drafted third overall last year, is now second in the East, having defeated the Big Bad Bruins in a gutsy come-from-behind effort.

The Oilers, who were slated to draft second overall last year, are 12th in the West.

104. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”: No ill-will or spite, truth be told – my impression was that you (or, more accurately, your online persona, that being all of you I know) were a self-proclaimed over-imbiber.It appears that I misinterpreted your comments in reaching that impression.I haven’t repeated my characterization since you made clear that you objected to it, and I won’t do so moving forward.

Sorry about that, Hunter – seriously.

Wow, Steve has now made me feel a bit guilty as well. I am afraid that I too have been unjustly labelling Steve as being a somewhat pedantic grammarian with tendencies towards sarcasm and the use of sharp wit as a form of humour. So to be clear; If anyone has developed perceptions of Steve or judged him based upon my characterization of him, please don’t. Instead, take the time to look him up and go see him in person. Don’t be obvious about it though, just kind of sneak around and stalk him a bit, maybe hide in his bedroom or just show up at his place of work regularly and ask his co-workers about him. That way you can get to know the real Steve and not just my clearly ignorant perception of him.

Sorry about that, Steve – seriously.

105. bookje says:

hunter: I’m drinking, does that help?

Is it the weekend?

106. Ducey says:

Lucinius:
    Ducey,

……………..

I hear ya.

Why would BOS trade a 24 yr old power forward they will need in the playoffs? Makes no sense.

bookje: Is it the weekend?

Dammit! I forgot I once wrote that. Okay, well it’s the weekend somewhere!

108. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”: what kind of a lawyer/pedantic grammar shithead am I, anyway?

Ok, What’s really funny is my description of you as a pedantic grammarian was written PRIOR to reading this (I usually read comments from the bottom up – its like watching memento – but with less popcorn).

109. bookje says:

Lowetide: Dammit! I forgot I once wrote that. Okay, well it’s the weekend somewhere!

I have no idea why I remembered that…

110. RickDeckard says:

Ducey:
    hockeybuzz guy

111. bookje says:

Lowetide: And yet MacT was the one who worked like a bugger to help Hemsky learn the finer points of the game.

Yes, but Hemsky has grit, its just the bad body language that makes some fans think he doesn’t. I am thinking more along the lines of Penner.

bookje: Never read that site. Ever. He has as much credibility as me saying Eberle and Whitney for Krejci and Savard (oilers buyout) followed by Eberle to Calgary for Iggy and a Kipper that is committed to playing out the year.

Yeah, I don’t know about the Penner deal. MacT never liked him, it was actually exactly like Burns and sideburns.

113. bookje says:

RickDeckard: Eberle and Whitney for Krejci and Savard (oilers buyout) followed by Eberle to Calgary for Iggy and a Kipper that is committed to playing out the year.

Seriously, are you sure about this. I am pretty stoked about the Oilers getting Krejci, but am sad to see Eberle go, particularly to Calgary. Time for the Sail On post LT.

114. Ryan says:

MPS is exactly the type of player a good gm would try to money puck from our hapless committee.

Young, big, fast… unfortunate counting numbers but good at driving play, puck possession metrics and skilled enough to expect an upswing. Not to mention that his counting numbers of spent considerable time in the Belanger triangle.

115. Ryan says:

bookje: Is it the weekend?

It is somewhere in the world. oh, maybe not.

116. Ryan says:

Probably old news, but the Calgary Herald has Iggy on his way to bean town for the two obvious players mentioned.

117. pboy says:

Fucking Mattingly.

118. BlacqueJacque says:

Lowetide: Button’s been pretty terse in his comments about the job Feaster is doing nowadays. I’ve heard him on several formats on the world wide Gore and he seems to be getting quite brave in his comments.

Craig Button talking shit about another GM is almost as crazy as someone giving Scott Howson a job after what he did to Columbus.

119. BlacqueJacque says:

I still like him better than Steinbrenner.

BTW,
    This is kinda why people want you to start backing up why you think Mac’s a big brain or something. I know he sounds smart, and yeah, he taught Hemsky something about defence – but that’s implying Hemsky is either horribly selfish or that no other coach in the league could teach defence.

Obviously to me, anyone and everyone involved with the aftermath of the 2006 6’6 gap-toothed-golden-horseshoe-stuck-up-the-ass-of-the-Oilers Cup run should be run out of town. Mac, Lowe, Howson. The stench of failure permeates this team. They’re all a bunch of Jonahs on the sailing ship HMCS Oiler.

120. bookje says:

Sounds good. For the record, I am past defending Tambellini as a GM. He had this summer and fall to do something and he didn’t. The only time I ‘defend’ him at this point is akin to when I ‘defend’ Saddam Hussain when people say he was behind 9/11. He was a murderous tyrant and an evil man, but he had nothing to do with 9/11. In that regard, I guess MacT is kind of like Tariq Aziz who was fully part of Saddam’s regime and all it did, but people kind of like him because he spoke good English and is kind of witty.

I guess this would also make Bob Stauffer Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the Iraqi Information Minister. I am not sure who Principe would be…

121. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Didn’t someone point out that while Howson didn’t do great in Columbus his biggest problem was just how fucking putrid of a team he inherited from that insider of insiders at Sportsnet left him and how it took years just to regain some kind of balance there (which is finally showing)?

122. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10:
    Magnus Paajarvi, a bigger faster more talented Ed Westfall

Actually was thinking more like Bob Bourne…… Nice piece

123. Lucinius says:

Well, Minnesota wins, but gave Phoenix the loser point after leading 2-0. And San Jose looks to be on track for a win, so it looks like the Oilers will fall to 4 points out.

124. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius:
    BlacqueJacque,

Umm, in the five years Howson was GM… well, that “mess” he inherited from MacLean had 80 points in ’07-08 (better than the 79 we’d hit at our current pace over 82 games), then that mess made the playoffs the year after, then they regressed the year after and stayed there, and in his last year, the wheels fell off.

Pretty damn sure that by year 5, the GM is responsible for making his own bed.

125. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey:
    Boston have a little rookie named Torey Krug and Aaron Johnson playing defense tonight.Whitney would be an upgrade on either of those guys.

TheOtherJohn: Actually was thinking more like Bob Bourne…… Nice piece

Another good comp for Paajarvi.

127. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

No way Boston trades away roster players or especially roster playing D before their playoff run. So any trade with the B’s that goes beyond Whitney and the Great Maginot will be a bad trade.

Optimistically, Hemsky talk is to grandstand Feaster that there are other options.

128. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

I wasn’t sure. I just remember someone dissecting it and showing Howson didn’t do as badly as most think, even though he was still a failure as a GM.

129. maudite says:

Lucinius:
    bookje,

Or is that just me?

Send me a save the date card. Definitely not alone.

130. striatic says:

got a very small favour from Minnesota catching Phoenix in the 3rd and winning in OT.

131. maudite says:

Sorry about that, Hunter – seriously.

I always assume it’s just someone with severe bipolar disorder.

132. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius:
    BlacqueJacque,

*shrug* I’m not saying he was the worst GM in the world – he got a really good return on Nash and the team did actually make the playoffs one year (though it was only his second year there) – but he didn’t exactly build a winner.

bookje: What are the rules around here? If the Oilers do something good we credit MacT or Hall, but if they do something stupid, we blame Tambellini and Lowe?

Correct.

I see you read your handbook with the MacT pin I sent you.

134. Zelepukin says:

TheOtherJohn: Not sure Whitney is an upgrade on anybody if his opponent keeps making tight turns. Whitney can not pivot one way

135. TheOtherJohn says:

Is there an Oiler fan that posts here that does not fear that they’ll wake up in the morning and find out that the Oilers traded 2 or 3 quite nice assets (and I do not include the AHL roster prospects) for something that doesn’t fit: chronic injury; too old; too expensive; a major league dick or, worse, a player that is already done like dinner

Problem with bad management is you expect/fear a terrible deal

136. bookje says:

Woodguy: Correct.

I see you read your handbook with the MacT pin I sent you.

I would wear the pin. I like MacT. I think that he probably is good in the roll of ‘VP of Giving Hockey Related Advice, but I would be very disappointed to see him named GM. With that said, I hope he is brilliant if he gets the job. Hell, I hope Tambellini pulls of an amazing trade this week and turns things around.

137. bookje says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Is there an Oiler fan that posts here that does not fear that they’ll wake up in the morning and find out that the Oilers traded 2 or 3 quite nice assets (and I do not includethe AHL roster prospects) forsomething that doesn’t fit: chronic injury; too old; too expensive; a major league dick or, worse, a player that is already done like dinner

Problem with bad management is you expect/fear a terrible deal

Tambellini said a few weeks ago that they would not be trading prospects or young talent for established players.

138. Kris11 says:

1. I also apologize to Hunter. I thought he said he enjoyed his drink greatly, as I do.

2. Iggy leaving the Pseudo-Cowboy-Town Buttholes is a big deal in the history of Alberta sports.

What would we need to trade for him?

139. MrSmitty says:

TheOtherJohn:

Problem with bad management is you expect/fear a terrible deal

I am going to have trouble sleeping from here till after the trade deadline

Changing of the guard at TSN too. Aaron Ward scooping BobbyMac and Dreger.

Ducey: I hear ya.

Why would BOS trade a 24 yr old power forward they will need in the playoffs?Makes no sense.

They are in serious cap trouble next year, only $6MM to sign 6 guys.

Savard is probably retiring, so his $4MM comes off too.

Lucic is 5th on the team in scoring and slated to become their highest paid player next year at $6MM/y x 3 years.

Horton, Krejci and Lucic play almost exclusively together.

They get the same kind of minutes that 91-89-64 get, so soft offensive minutes.

Lucic is 18pts in 31 games this year, Horton 17 in 32.

I’d dump him too if I were Chiarelli and wanted to re-sign Horton or spend the money elsewhere.

Bergeron, Seguin and Marchand get the tough minutes (like 4-93-14 when they play together, always get the best of the other team)

Kelly, Peverley and Bourque get the Horcoff minutes.

He’s expendable given their depth and makes the most.

He’d get a slew of good stuff for him.

If its PRV and the Oilers 1st this year, its waaaay too much.

I have the Oilers finishing 24th overall and there will be lots of good players there.

As much as I deride management, I can’t see them giving up that for 3 years of Lucic.

Terrible trade, really doubt it happens.

142. Zelepukin says:

godot10:
    Changing of the guard at TSN too.Aaron Ward scooping BobbyMac and Dreger.

no he just played some of last years for the B’s and probably has better contacts within the organization.

143. striatic says:

Zelepukin: I don’t know for certain but I watched Montreal/Bos game and they seem to be doing 2 pp units of 4 forwards. Hamilton and Chara being the D on each. Perhaps they somehow see Whitney as an additional option to help improve their 25th ranked PP.

didn’t they win the cup with a really bad playoff PP?

144. BlacqueJacque says:

TheOtherJohn,

The Oilers should trade Hemsky and clear up the logjam on the right. Shore up defence, left wing, or centre with that trade.

We’re not going to get anything of value for Whitney other than picks, and we need bodies, especially puck-moving bodies, on defence. Whitney is downright horrible as a defenceman these days so it could be addition by subtraction except for the fact that we don’t have much in the way of Whitney replacements lined up.

Other than Smid-Petry-Schultz, everyone should go.

If Smid is asking for more than $4m per, he should go. Yes, I know, he’s irreplaceable at this point but you have to think cap hit with Nuge, Yak, and Schultz facing extensions soon. Even $3.5m per would be a lot if he wasn’t one of the premier UFA d-men available.

Eberle could go for a really good return – one that addresses desperate needs (centre, defence). Really, the only reason I’d be reluctant to trade him is because he’s Hall’s bestest buddy in the wholest world. His career trajectory screams “peaked young” to me. He’s unable to create against determined defenders, unlike Hall, unlike Nuge, unlike even Hemsky. Great finisher, good passer, but can’t drive the play. Love the player, hate the contract. Wow… this paragraph hurts so much to write. After seeing Hall-MPS-Ebs at the 2010 rookie camp, I was sure Eberle would surprise everyone by being the best of the three. Good chance I’ll be eating these words in 3-5 years, but I still stand by what I just wrote.

I’d trade Gagner+dead weight for a bigger, more defensively aware second-line centre+slightly-less-dead weight. Mostly because of cap issues.

Yakupov is untouchable – I think he’ll put up more points than any of the other kids, and guarantee that he will score more goals. Much more raw than either of our other 1sts. Nuge is untouchable. Hall is pretty much worth the rest of the entire team at this point, so he’s obviously untouchable.

A Nash-like quality-for-quantities-of-lesser-quality trade would serve us good.

I mean, if you could significantly upgrade Potter+Whitney+Belanger at the cost of Gagner or Eberle… wouldn’t you? It’s not like there are solutions coming in free agency, and I think Marincin, Gernat, Klefbom, Lander, and Fedun all have a long way to go.

145. VanOil says:

godot10:
    Changing of the guard at TSN too.Aaron Ward scooping BobbyMac and Dreger.

I dislike his commentary but I recall Ward breaking a few trades/signings during the last TSN day long events before the other guys too. Credit to him in building those connections.

bookje,

but I would be very disappointed to see him named GM.

Neither he nor Lowe will be the GM.

Too much heat.

Get all the fun and hardly any of the heat in the offices with the better view of Kingsway Ave than the GM.

147. loosemoose says:

They say done deal.

Iginla’s a Bruin.

148. Lucinius says:

Well, looks like the Iggy trade is done. But no confirmation that its the Bruins’ first, Kochlachev and Bartowski yet, but that’s the likely return, which, imo, is high.

149. TheOtherJohn says:

You guys misunderstand me

I don’t say they will f&&k up,

I say based on their history, if told about any type of trade tomorrow am your first reaction would be “NFW” , followed by “why the bleep would we do that”

Not: there’s no way we’d do that trade

Anything is possible

Ok: Yak for a signed David Clarkson: that’s not possible even with our Special Olympian management group

150. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius:

Yeah, impressive return. Almost as good as what Columbus got for a younger, better Nash.

BlacqueJacque,

Having 3 good RW is not a log jam.

Its the beginning of making a good team.

Lucinius:

Pronman speaks highly of Kochlachev.

1st is the year’s draft is nothing to sneeze at, even at 28th or so.

For 19 games of Iggy? + Playoffs.

Not bad.

Not as good as NYI 1st, Nilsson and O’Mara mind you……

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
    Unconfirmed but BOS-CGY appears to be Khokhlachev/Bartkowski/conditional 1st round pick for Iginla. 1st rder conditional on Iggy re-signing.

1st conditional on Iggy re-signing??

Hahahahahahhahahahhaha

154. loosemoose says:

…speculation that the return is Khokhlachev/Bartowski/conditional 1st(only if Iggy resigns) per Mackenzie……interesting

155. Lucinius says:

156. striatic says:

Lucinius: Interesting, according to TSN, the 1st is conditional on Iginla re-signing, which makes it more understandable for the Bruins.

that’s messed up.

it gives Boston an extra incentive not to re-sign Iginla, which i’m not sure Iginla would be too happy with if his waiving his NTC was based on the team’s willingness to re-sign him.

157. justDOit says:

Must be difficult for the Flames to hear that their captain has been traded while the game is still on. Good luck to Iggy on winning a cup this year.

158. Zelepukin says:

striatic: that’s messed up.

unless they win the cup then he’ll just retire anyways. If they go to the finals and lose, he’d probably resign with them if there a strong indication that their core roster is returning.

159. Ducey says:

Lucinius:

Probably a second if he doesn’t?

COL making a big push for #1 overall.

Edit: and then they score on the PP

160. Zelepukin says:

Iggy is looking to pull a Bourque.

Khoklachev looks like a player for sure, but that 1st rd pick condition is whack. WHACK!

162. Lucinius says:

Ducey,

So far it looks like if he doesn’t re-sign with Boston then the Flames don’t get a draft pick out of it at all, but you could be right.

163. justDOit says:

striatic: that’s messed up.

Doesn’t it also give Calgary plausible deniability that they didn’t already make a hand-shake deal with Iggy? If they’re concerned about the B’s resigning him, then they don’t already have confidence that he’ll return.

164. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Woodguy: They are in serious cap trouble next year, only $6MM to sign 6 guys.

But that is next year. Unless it makes them a better this year I don’t see a reason to make that trade until summer. Lucic will still be desirable then.

165. Ducey says:

till_horcoff_is_coach: But that is next year.Unless it makes them a better this year I don’t see a reason to make that trade until summer.Lucic will still be desirable then.

Yup. In any event it is just some BS from hockeybuzz as the Lucic deal was supposed to be part of the Iginla one. That is unless the Oilers trade MPS, their first and and Whitney for Lucic. They wouldn’t do that, would they?
    *shudders*

166. Lucinius says:

Interesting that the reaction from Flames’ fans I’ve seen is thus far furious. Not sure what they expected for a guy who’s 35 and a pending UFA.

167. pboy says:

Jesus H Christ, Craig Button must get dressed in the dark. That suit is hurting my eyes.

168. striatic says:

Lucinius: Not sure what they expected for a guy who’s 35 and a pending UFA.

with an NTC no less.

hard to get good value back when you only have a handful of teams you can deal with.

169. Lucinius says:

striatic,

Yeah. I really don’t get the anger. I could see disappointment at the trade return and anger at losing your Captain of ~15 years. But there just wasn’t much wiggle room for Feaster. If the conditional is as bad as we think it is.. yeah, Feaster lost the trade, but I don’t see how he was ever going to win the trade to begin with.

170. justDOit says:

flamesnation.ca is a lovely place right now – who wants to go do some trolling?

171. stevezie says:

striatic,

Don’t forget that he’s in the middle of a pretty lacklustre season.

172. Clay says:

So, I’ve always liked the Bruins, liked them more when they denied the Canucks a cup, and now they get a good St. Albert boy that I’ve never been able to cheer for, but now I can.

If nothing else, this will make the playoffs a lot more interesting for me this year. And if a few Oilers end up over there, even better. Go Bruins!

173. Genjutsu says:

Boston should still have a ton of cap space maybe they do come get a D man or two. Whitney and Hemsky and Fistric and Nik for Hamiliton and McQuaid.

174. DBO says:

Iginla to Pittsburgh. Wow

WOW. Pittsburgh!

176. DBO says:

Agostino, Hanowski and a 1st

177. DBO says:

So Pittsburgh all in. Wow. No fuckin around by Pitt. And a better deal then the Bruins deal. 2 college prospects. More NHL ready next year u suppose?

178. striatic says:

Iginla to the pens increases the probability Hemsky moves to Boston, right?

179. Clay says:

Pittsburg! Ha!

Man, that return isn’t much, but Feaster.

I like this trade less than the Boston deal based on first blush. What the hell, Feaster?

181. Clay says:

I wonder if Feaster really believe the drivel he says. He keeps talking about how high they are on their young kids in the system.

Really? Really Jay?

There are very few teams with cupboards as bare as the Flames right now.

182. bendelson says:

So the Flames had three offers from the four teams on Iggy’s list…
    And then Iggy choose the final destination/trade to Pittsburg?
    Do I have that right?
    That sounds wrong.

183. bluenotenorth says:

DBO:
    Agostino, Hanowski and a 1st

Essentially a 2nd given where Pitts will finish.

184. DBO says:

Oops. Its not D ‘Agostino. Willis tweeting details of the players. Not big time prospects it seems.

185. Clay says:

I mean, Baertschi is pretty nice, TJ Brodie looks like he’ll be a middle pairing guy, and Johnny Gaudreau certainly is trending up since the WJC, but it’s crickets after that.

186. Ducey says:

Yeah, HF has them as the Pens 10th and 12th best prospects. Picked in the 5th and 3rd rounds.

Feaster seems to have a penchant for going off the board.

187. DBO says:

So no way Boston gets smaller by dealing away Lucic. Wonder if Whitney and Jones or Petrell would work for at least a 2nd and a prospect

188. jfry says:

Calgary has one of the worst pipelines in the NHL and listening to mgt talk about them is funny. They use “hockey sense” like the oil use poise. Listening to feaster rationalize jankowski was embarrassing. The unrealistic narratives average GMs put on prospects is one of my favourite parts of following hockey.

189. gogliano says:

“Steve Smith”:
    bookje,

Okay, maybe 9/11 was a little bit of an inside job.

190. Genjutsu says:

Boston has to go for it this year they have a ton of space and need to take a run now before Chara fades.

191. "Steve Smith" says:

gogliano,

One of my favourites. On the other hand, there are probably about 50 others I’d say the same thing about. When xkcd is on, it’s on.

(Too often it isn’t, sadly, but it’s not like it’s a huge investment of time to check it three times per week.)

192. jp says:

DBO:

Yeah, hard to see them moving Lucic without some sort of replacement.

Hope the Oilers can get a decent return for Whitney and Jones. God I hope they don’t resign either of those two. Moving them will put those fears to rest, and of course bring some beans back.

Would any other team in the league play Petrell in real games? I guess there could be one or two, but it’s difficult to imagine anyone actually PAYING to add him – even a 7th rounder. He’ll be back playing the 3rd line in Finland come September.

193. Lucinius says:

Very interesting development.

So.. the Pens? Trade looks worse than the Bruins one, other than the draft pick. Just.. wow.

194. delooper says:

Lucinius,

One wonders if the Oilers could get a better return for Whitney than the Flames got for Iginla.

195. art vandelay says:

The Oilers fans suggesting they’ll get Lucic for a bag of pucks remind me of the homers on John Short’s unlistenable show back in the day who’d call in and propose the Oilers trade Reijo Routsalainien for Ray Bourque because Bourque had two serious injuries early on.
    The crazy has just shifted to the webernets, I guess.

Good point.

But if you have a GM willing to give you a top 5 pick and PRV, then you do it.

Draft picks have the lowest value at the deadline and highest value at the draft.

I doubt you get a top 5 pick and PRV at the draft.

art vandelay:
    The crazy has just shifted to the webernets, I guess.

Hi Art!

198. edwards_daddy says:

Letang going down explains the Whitney interest – no doubt Lowe brought up Lucic – possible salary dump, so Shero threw in PRV and MacT sang – ‘Are you sure you want to do that?’
    Maybe today we’ll find out…..

199. slopitch says:

Well a couple things Oiler related

- There is still a possibility on the Hemsky/Whitney to Boston front. Given what Boston was offering Calgary, I sure hope Hemsky isn’t moved there
    - I do wonder if Hemsky for Yandle based traded is a possibility
    - Given that Iggy chose to play with Crosby/Malkin we see the benefits of having the elite talent. Looking at the Penguins, I don’t think the Oilers will ever be in a comparable spot for 2 reasons 1) Crosby and Malkin aren’t just former first overalls, they are generational talents 2) our first liners all play together. Our young talent may allow us to recruit D and 3rd/4th line talent however and thats ok, thats what we need.

200. Ducey says:

Good morning all! The sun came up and Tambo didn’t do anything stupid (that we know of) last night.

I still don’t like that CGY trade for the Flamers.

Newer Comments »