BARONS V BULLDOGS 2.4.13

The OKC Barons are in action tonight and have a very good chance to improve their hold on a playoff position. It’s close, but a strong finish (this is the first of 11 April games for the Barons, that will close the schedule) should get them into the second season. (photo by Rob Ferguson).

ahl standings

I find this Barons season fascinating in so many ways. For instance, the trio of Eberle, Schultz and Hall remain 2-3-4 in team scoring and Nuge, Paajarvi and Lander are all inside the club’s top 15 scorers.

But the real story for me is the 2013 numbers.

OKC LEADING SCORERS SINCE JANUARY 1

15. Nathan Deck 19, 1-2-3
  16. Andrew Hotham 20, 0-3-3
  17. Tanner House 26, 3-0-3
  18. Tyler Pitlick 10, 0-2-2
  19. Alex Plante 17, 1-1-2
  20. Chris VandeVelde 21, 1-1-2

The interesting thing for me is that Rajala and Cornet–the two prospects who are scoring well along with the AHL vets–have two things in common:

• both were drafted outside the top 100
  • both were forced down to Stockton by the NHLers but did play as regulars in the ECHL.

Which brings me to a couple of questions:

• would the Oilers have been better off sending Hamilton/Pitlick/Martindale to Stockton?
  • if true, why don’t they do it now?

65 Responses to "BARONS V BULLDOGS 2.4.13"

1. Mark-LW says:

Because they are awful at developing young players?

2. VanOil says:

Do Rajala and Cornet push for an NHL job next year? Do they push for those jobs with the Oilers? Unless they start sharing scooby snacks with baseball players, grow there hat sizes 2 inches and put lifts in there skates probably not with the Oilers. OKC could be really good next year with there help though.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“would the Oilers have been better off sending Hamilton/Pitlick/Martindale to Stockton?
    if true, why don’t they do it now?”

probably better than that HS rotation they’ve got going.

maybe the same fear about sending young tweeners down to the A (see: Lander) happens regarding the E?

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:

5. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You’d have to think they are there as call-up duty only and looking at steady pro work in the AHL as their future ceiling (not a bad place to be for a late draft pick)

Fair point. It is a decent return on those picks. Having some talent capable of scoring a goal during an NHL injury call up would beyond my recent experience as an Oilers fan. But I am not opposed to the concept.

6. VanOil says:

Dickie has one hell of a knuckle ball. He doesn’t break bats he makes player chuck there bats in the stands.

7. jake70 says:

OT, any fans of knuckleball pitching, B-Jays opener with Dickey pitching. 1st inning – already a bat flung into the stands on a swing and a passed ball. Fun stuff.

Go Barons!

8. jake70 says:

Sorry Vanoil, didn’t see your post.

9. VanOil says:

jake70,

No worries I am glad some one else is multitasking in there sports watching as well. It is going to be fun to watch if he does that all season.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:

similar to knuckle balls. he dominated.

Still, though, knuckle ballers have to be goaltending voodoo times a million. contingency goes through the roof. I wouldn’t have the balls to make that Dickie deal, I’d worry his success would be too fickle.

11. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I agree about the mercurial nature of knuckle ballers it was a brave decision. Thanks for introducing me to the Eephus. My favorite spin bowler (cricket equivalent) Shane Warne could move the ball like no one I have ever seen aided by the bounce. Check it out here http://youtu.be/dJeFsTFECbM some of them must move over 1 meter side to side.

12. jake70 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: When I lived in London i used to see Majors games all the time (dinky Ontario league ball). one year they had a pitcher from the Dominican that pitched a lot of Eephus pitches:

similar to knuckle balls. he dominated.

Lol, Arencibia’s going to need a glove twice the size….3 pbs so far.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil,

I know nothing about cricket, but that spin is pretty incredible. how much control do they have on it, or is like the knuckle ball… a total crapshoot?

14. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

A bit of both, they bowl so long and so often some are bound to work out. But when you are able to cut it around some ones back you are a magician. Like knuckle ballers spin bowlers are widely inconsistent during there careers. Age seems to have little to do with it, so basically a crapshoot. Also like Baseball the bigger your variety of pitches the better of you are if one is not working.

15. bookje says:

VanOil:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

That guy is also my favorite cricket ball thrower guy.

16. Clay says:

Am I blind, or is Lander not on your list anywhere? Why do you hate him so much?

Lander is with the Oilers, I could have included him but left everyone with an “x” off (this is from the AHL site).

18. Kris11 says:

“That guy is also my favorite cricket ball thrower guy.”

Who is your favorite croquet ball thrower?

Because I am told that throwing the ball as hard as possible is against the rules in croquet, but when anyone says that, I throw the ball at them as hard as possible.

19. nelson88 says:

Apologies if it was listed elsewhere but Kessy had another hat trick (his second in the series) last night. I still don’t like the trade but nice to see he can play with skilled players at least at the WHL level.

20. Lois Lowe says:

The Indians announcers just said their second baseman played with “poise” and “grit”. I wonder if he’s available at the deadline for Omark’s rights?

VandeVelde (Hartikainen, Rajala)

22. bookje says:

Kris11:
    “That guy is also my favorite cricket ball thrower guy.”

Who is your favorite croquet ball thrower?

I knew a guy who could throw his voice. Funny to begin, but weird after.

24. fuzzy muppet says:

IYO, has Rajala worked his way into a “legitimate” prospect. If so, has he become valuable as a trade asset?

25. jonrmcleod says:

fuzzy muppet,

I just asked Corey Pronman about Rajala on Twitter, and he says he’s changed his position on him and now sees him as a legitimate prospect.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje: I once knew a great crochet thrower – the guy could kill a deer at 4 yards with a ball of yarn.

I once dated a great crotch blo….oh nm

fuzzy muppet:

IYO,has Rajala worked his way into a “legitimate” prospect.If so, has he become valuable as a trade asset?

I think you have to consider him as legit. He’s above 1/1 and is clearly able to make plays at speed in the AHL. I think he’d need to do it for another year before getting noticed, but he’s a talented player.

28. jonrmcleod says:

The Oilers are ranked 12th in TSN’s power rankings…if that means anything…which it doesn’t.

cheechoo (Arcobello, Cornet)

30. TheOtherJohn says:

Because it is hard to keep the fiction of player development alive when 2 of your top prospects are in the ECHL. It’s one thing to healthy sratch Tuebert, Hamilton & Pitlick, it’s quite another to put thm in the ECHL

31. rich says:

Another point for Rajala tonight – going at a point per game pace in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at – that’s a fine league.

FWIW tonight, Zorg has a point for Hamilton too.

Davidson with an ENG

33. FPB94 says:

That finished bum Ovechkin only scored his 20th today. Guy is done.

Jamie McBain is probably off the market. Pitkanen crashes into the boards on an icing.

Jets becoming the same old “lovable” Jets. And Oates and Ovechkin (and the rest of the Caps) are suddenly sympatico.

35. "Steve Smith" says:

FPB94,

He’s Russian, not Finnish.

(And it wasn’t a Porsche, it was a Ferrari.)

Boy was I.

37. hunter1909 says:

TheOtherJohn: It’s one thing to healthy sratch Tuebert, Hamilton & Pitlick, it’s quite another to put them in the ECHL

Teubert/Lynch/Woywitka etc are the reason why prospect watching blows. Which is another reason to keep Pajaarvi on – the kid appears to have that elusive hockey talent – physical invincibleness.

Happy to see Tambo keeping things nice and calm with tomorrow’s game being on everyone’s mind, instead of wasting assets on quick fixes and pipe dreams – that go up in smoke like Teubert’s NHL career.

Another reason not to get too expensive ink when writing up next season’s blueline: Oskar Klefbom spent 80% of the last season on IR…of course he claims everything is fine.

38. hunter1909 says:

Read someone mentioning Hall for this years Hart trophy – and it fairly took my breath away.

Make the playoffs…

I’m 75% certain Oilers will make the playoffs. They’re going to be playing higher ranked teams in the run up to be sure, but with the level of aggression Oiler’s hand out there’s no reason to assume some of them won’t be happy to just let things slide, until playoff time.

Ducks games might turn out to be eventful with Souray and Cogliano(actually I’m not worried about him since he left the Oilers).

39. Southern Oil says:

hunter1909:

Make the playoffs…

I’m 75% certain Oilers will make the playoffs. They’re going to be playing higher ranked teams in the run up to be sure, but with the level of aggression Oiler’s hand outthere’s no reason to assume some of them won’t be happy to just let things slide, until playoff time.

They still face an uphill battle but damn doesn’t this feel good!!!

40. hunter1909 says:

Nucks will kill themselves for 10 minutes then coast, since to read their arrogant minds, they’re already halfway back to the finals(too bad for them it’s the 2011 finals).

Blues will be tough, but Hall’s better than any of them so wtf. Come to think of it that Oiler top line is already looking unstoppable.

Hawks can always be had for at least an OT point.

41. hunter1909 says:

LA will be super to watch the gang up against the cup champs.

42. BlacqueJacque says:

You know, I’m starting to hope the Jays season ends in disaster.

Sportsnet’s forcefeeding me of sappy commercials, specials, and constant news about them is causing a gag response.

43. FastOil says:

hunter1909:
    Nucks will kill themselves for 10 minutes then coast, since to read their arrogant minds,they’re already halfway back to the finals(too bad for them it’s the 2011 finals).

Hawks can always be had for at least an OT point.

You’re too much Hunter

44. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    I’m 75% certain Oilers will make the playoffs.

You are 50% more certain than I am. But I will buy a Hart for Hall at some point in his career at 75%. My attitude will change for the better if we win the next 2 games. Even if we don’t make the playoffs I like beating NW rivals.

45. spoiler says:

Vancouver is going to make some more moves and make themselves even more difficult to beat. The Sharks appear to be going backwards but have a bit of a lead on us. St. Louis becomes even better but loses their starting goalie.Dallas should fall off. Columbus has picks to play with and wants to bust some moves, but hasn’t been able to find a dance partner. Detroit has been awful quiet but is typically conservative with their offers at the deadline. Going to be tough to make it. Depends on how long this streak keeps going and playing that game last night willl be a loss tomorrow.

Maclean on TV now admitting he was asked to trade Brule for C. Schneider and turned Gillis down. Mike Smitth was offered C. Giroux for P. Ranger and passed.

So hard to tell how a player is going to develop when they’re young. Even when they’re mature, you never know when a player’s cliff is going to suddenly appear, or how their personal life is sailing through the waves, or when injuries might engulf a career.

You can make bets like Shero and lose your leader to a freak injury. It’s like farming without the insurance.

Huh… Spector just said on the Deadline Preview show that the Oilers have notified other teams that Belanger is available. Despite the groin, he will be ready to play.

46. TheOtherJohn says:

Now lots of GM’s willingly make fun of “fancy stats” but how do the Oilers explain Belanger’s 3 points in 23 games this year &16 pts in 78 games last year? Yeah but he’s got grit, poise, he’s clutch and, clincher, Stevie Y really likes him

47. Zelepukin says:

spoiler: So SJ trades Clowe, are they going to acquire a replacemen? That’s a lot of size and strength and determination to give up. Maybe he”s on the down side of his career, but he’s still a heckuva player. Damn… We don’t play them again, do we?

48. spoiler says:

Zelepukin: I don’t know about, Heck of a player? He has 0 goals and 11 assists in 28 games this season and is -4. No player has taken more shots this season without a goal than Clowe, lol. What makes this even better is that the Rangers are 30th in GF.

In all fairness, I should warn you that I consider Shawn Horcoff a heckuva player.

49. spoiler says:

Ducey:
    Matheson is trying to trade Whitney to CAR.Hopefully he is successful

Pitkanen hurt bad, out for 3 months apparently. That article sounds like there’s a lot of reluctance to make a trade in the Oiler Command Centre. Tambo sounded reluctant talking to the Human Pun too, between periods last game.

50. "Steve Smith" says:

Interesting that Matheson characterizes Pitkanen as “vastly underrated” – I agree with that, but I’m surprised to see Edmonton MSM saying so without adding that he’s sulky and square peggy.

51. Lucinius says:

If the Oilers are to make the playoffs (which I see as a long shot still, albeit one a fair bit nearer than it used to be) we’re going to need to get some help from other teams. Nashville and Phoenix winning tonight doesn’t help. Damn Kings and Avalanche.

Still, nice to see the Oilers be in the conversation for the playoffs with only 13 games left; something I thought would be necessary this year if the Oilers wanted to make a real push next year. It gets the team, and most importantly, the kids exposure to games that matter. To needing to win at the NHL level. I don’t expect much from the Oilers if they actually manage to make it into the playoffs (although, it is the Blackhawks we’d face… Gagner could use them to guarantee a massive contract somewhere!) but it’d be immensely beneficial to the young kids and making the Oilers have an easier time attracting free agents to help put the team over the hump.

52. stevezie says:

I’m still confused as to why McBain is available.

53. spoiler says:

The long knives will be out for Tambo if he gets nothing but Davidson out of the Stoll-Greene trade.

53 points gives us a coin flip’s chance at making the playoffs: 8-5-0 or 7-4-2 or 6-3-4. Do-able.

Do you risk that 50% chance by subtracting from the roster, or do you risk not getting anything back for him?

I have a feeling the owner will be making this decision. And my guess at that is Whitney stays.

54. spoiler says:

stevezie:
    I’m still confused as to why McBain is available.

No kiddin’.

55. jfry says:

Cool basketball quote tonight after Carmelo went for 50. Battier who guarded him most the night:

“It’s an inopportune time to announce my candidacy for defensive player of the year,” Battier said. “Carmelo had a hell of a game. … That’s a game that drives the analytics guys crazy because he didn’t attempt a shot within 15 feet of the basket. Most nights, we’ll take that every single time. And he made a ton of shots. Made a ton of shots. And that’s to his credit.”

56. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil: You are 50% more certain than I am.

Do you mean that you are 25% certain (25% + 50% = 75%), or that you are 50% certain (50% * 1.5 = 75%)? This has been bothering me for hours.

57. Rebilled says:

spoiler,

Didn’t Lowe trade Stoll and Greene?

58. spoiler says:

Rebilled:
    spoiler,

Didn’t Lowe trade Stoll and Greene?

Well yes, that goes without saying. And there was an intermediary in the form of Visnovsky too.

It’s shorthand for the ideas Matheson is expressing, or at least, it was shorthand. Why?

59. WeridAl says:

stevezie,

His offense has dropped, and that was the only thing he had going for him, sounds like he’s pretty soft. With Pitkanen being injured, I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon.

60. Rebilled says:

Stoll and Greene didn’t like playing with Stortini.

61. Szach says:

Ryan Martindale seems to prove that not all prospects benefited equally from their stay in Stockton. He has more GPlayed in OKC (48 vs. 39) during his career with marginally better results in Stockton which is about the same in proportion to Rajala (35 vs. 29).

For the rest it seems that more playing time on top lines should be in order to improve in the very least their skills and consequently their trade-able asset value… No?

62. nelson88 says:

I have begun to shift to the “don’t touch anything we are in a playoff race” position but if they do trade Whitney I hope they give Fedun a chance. Good puck mover who has played well in OKC. A little bit of an older prospect and obviously very smart so hopefully the learning curve would be less then for a Marincin or others.. Now is when it would be nice to still have Brett Clark.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    I’m still confused as to why McBain is available.

Scooey!!!