BLACKHAWKS AT OILERS G46 (12-13) 24.4.13

One of the things we can do while biding our time is check out possible acquisitions for summer. Niklas Hjalmarsson (Chicago player in photo) is a 21 minutes a night defenseman who has a reasonable CorsiRel considering his zone start (most severe) and qual comp (toughest). He has nice boxcars (45, 2-8-10 +14) for his player type and at $3.5M and a year from free agency maybe he’s a guy MacT can pull out of Chicago.

I admit to watching Winnipeg a little these days, a little melancholy about missing out the heartbreak of a season’s effort falling just short. One of the things these lottery seasons rob from us is the connection to the prime time of the sport–the period where the games become important and winning is life and death. For Oiler fans, that season is a distant memory, something we can barely remember.

The lottery seasons have brought us Hall, Nuge, Yak and the others, but it’ll be nice to see spring with games that matter someday soon.

If we could steal Stu MacGregor’s laptop (please do not steal his laptop, sure as hell a google search gets them here and I’m off to Bowden for the summer) the top of the board might look like this:

1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Sasha Barkov
  5. Sean Monahan

Right now, the Oilers are slated to draft 6th overall:

• 1st Florida
  • 2nd Colorado
  • 3rd Tampa Bay
  • 4th Nashville
  • 5th Carolina
  • 6th Edmonton

I think it would be noxious for the Oilers to win the lottery (seriously, the league needs to do something about their draft rules if the Oilers grab a 4th first overall selection), but on the other hand I’d love to see the MacT era kick off with one of those five.

One team MacT could steal ideas from are the New York bloody Islanders. You talk about moneyball, Garth Snow (himself a moneyball type GM pickup) has been a waiver wizard over the years and the team’s depth has improved because of it.

Among the names claimed by NYI are Michael Grabner, Thomas Hickey, Evgeni Nabokov. They’ve also signed several minor free agents like Colin McDonald who have found their way on the Island.

Tambellini passed on some useful pieces this year, and now he’s sitting in limbo.

One time years ago my friend Louise and I were at Oilers training camp (don’t remember the year) and went to the Coliseum Inn for lunch between scrimmages. We can talk all damn day about the Oilers and in the middle of the conversation MacT and his coaching staff walked in and sat down to do the same thing.

I always wonder about the two conversations. The coaching staff has all kinds of things that make them more qualified to assess talent, and of course inside knowledge about which players are mature, which ones have injuries that could shorten their careers, etc.

However, the topics and tone are probably similar. Edmonton has a pretty damn intelligent fan base and the problems can be seen from miles away, especially after so many years of failure.

I would suggest most of us feel the Oilers need:

1. A quality, veteran NHL defenseman to play with Schultz the younger
  2. A legit C to play behind Nuge, Gagner and Horc. This player should be able to slide up the depth chart, because we know injuries will impact the position.
  3. A veteran winger (probably portside) to go with Hall-Eberle, Paajarvi-Yakupov, ????-Hemsky. I think the Oilers could get by with Smyth-Hartikaien as the 4line options next year.
  4. A solid backup goalie.

Now that’s my list, your mileage may vary. Four additions, that’s fewer than last summer and the kids will be a year older. If MacT could add Hjalmarsson, Boyd Gordon, Stalberg or Torres and Khudobin? I’m just doing blue sky here and you probably have your own names, but the point is made. The Oilers are a few well  chosen players from being good enough to contend:

• G: Dubnyk, Khudobin
  • D: Smid-Petry; Hjalmarsson-J Schultz; N Schultz-Klefbom; Potter
  • C: Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Gordon, Lander
  • L: Hall, Paajarvi, Stalberg, Smyth
  • R: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Brown

Let’s say that’s what Louise and I decide on during our lunch (this is my list and Louise is a smart cookie with her own opinions so I’m sure there would be “tweaking”), these are your Edmonton Oilers 2013 fall.

What about the coaching conversation? I have a feeling they are looking at goaltending a little more than we are (we’ve talked about this, the Bishop and Luongo discussions), and suspect MacT is going to add a bigger name on the blue. The rest? Suspect it’s close.

Bottom line: Oiler fans know this team pretty well, and MacT is a very smart guy. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to see these moves develop and compare them to our own lists.

What’s your list?

monroe1

257 Responses to "BLACKHAWKS AT OILERS G46 (12-13) 24.4.13"

« Older Comments
  1. RickDeckard says:

Lucinius,

Who started the game? Apparently it is a penalty if you don’t start the same lineup in all three periods (barring injuries/penalties to those players).

2. spoiler says:

Our puck management at opposing blue lines can only be matched by our breakouts for their beauty…

3. Lucinius says:

RickDeckard,

Home team is actually allowed to swap it (rule 86.8).

Doesn’t matter, though.

Who here would use our fourth line as their starting line?

4. RickDeckard says:

Lucinius,

What a bizarre rule. What purpose does either part serve?

That was a terrific save by Crawford.

6. Lucinius says:

RickDeckard,

I try not to comprehend the NHL rule book.

I’m already dancing on the wrong side of the line of sanity.

LT; yeah, windmill save like I haven’t seen in years…

7. VanOil says:

You could time a Smyth, Brown and Smithson breakout with a sun dial.

8. BlacqueJacque says:

Decent 6 on 5 but I wish Harski had shot it.

9. BlacqueJacque says:

VanOil,

And count the number of consecutive passes made on one hand… If you’re a quadruple amputee.

10. Lucinius says:

Good god our players cannot pass on the powerplay.

11. BlacqueJacque says:

Is a healthy Hemsky + Nuge the real secret to the Oilers power play?

Corey Potter doesn’t have offensive instincts. Good shot but he doesn’t belong on the PP.

13. Lucinius says:

Our fourth line out against the first line of the Hawks AGAIN.

Krueger… I like the guy, but god damn. He can’t line match worth shit. he doesn’t seem to understand you actually do need to line match.

14. VanOil says:

Lucinius,

Kruger mentioned in a recent interview that going into this season he planned to put Schultz Jr and Yakupov out in all situations, even when they were over there heads. He thought it was an important part of there development. I can buy his argument in regards to those two players. As to what the hell he his hoping the 4th line learn, other than that NHL hockey might not be for them, I don’t know.

15. Gret99zky says:

True tier 1 fans buy tickets to the game to watch Six Rings chew gum in the PB.

16. Lucinius says:

Okay.. apparently putting out the fourth line against the first line of the Hawks is.. intentional.

I don’t know.

I just don’t.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

Ryan Jones gets some credit from me tonight for being an intelligent, hard-working and above all effective player.*

*watch parkkatti prove me me wrong in under two hours. :)

18. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Jones has looked good tonight. Has looked like the Jones of the previous two years. Defensively atrocious but a beast in the offensive zone for some ungodly, unknown reason.

19. Bad Seed says:

Lucinius:

I don’t know.

I just don’t.

Of course it is! It’s a directive from Combover McGee himself – he wants Barkov as bad as the rest of us.

20. dangilitis says:

Anybody watching the out of town scoreboard? St Louis is about to become the oldest player to win the Art Ross. Mr. Hockey was 34 when he last won it in 1963. Sid was 19 (just over 1/2 St Louis’ age) when he first won it. Incredible, are you paying attention Smytty?

21. Lucinius says:

dangilitis,

Smytty has never been as good of a hockey player as Marty St. Louis, though.

22. pboy says:

Good lord is Samwise stunned in his own end. Everything that LT wrote about Potter and his offensive instincts can be said about Gagner and his defensive game. Either he doesn’t care or he can’t figure it out and I don’t think it’s a “brains” issue.

23. Lucinius says:

Oh. Great. Yak hurt.

24. spoiler says:

Some pretty interesting speculation by the pundits during both intermissions on what changes MacT might undertake and what the Oilers need.

Darnell Nurse is definitely in the picture… IF they keep their draft pick, but BobbyMac and the rest think they should trade it for immediate help.

Iginla’s name was also raised.

25. RickDeckard says:

spoiler,

Didn’t they say trade last year too?

26. Gret99zky says:

Iginla to the Oilers?

Now I’ve heard everything.

27. Lucinius says:

This powerplay is infuriating. No one timers. Pass.. settle, pass.. settle, pass.. settle, shoot.

28. OilLeak says:

The hawks have taken a knee and are still schooling the Oilers all over the ice. Sad, just sad.

29. Ice Sage says:

OilLeak:
    The hawks have taken a knee and are still schooling the Oilers all over the ice.Sad, just sad.

Oilers took 2 knees and a blindfold 9 games ago…

30. VanOil says:

Dubbie is feeling it tonight. I would put him on the point on the next power play, with Smyties stick. The 1st tier fans deserve something to cheer about in the last few minutes.

31. Lucinius says:

Oilers need Slats back as coach.

They desperately need one of his infamous practices of showing them the basics of hockey.

Such as how to make and take a bloody pass.

32. rich says:

Just want to thank KLowe and his 6 rings for tonight. If it weren’t for his brilliance, I don’t know how I could have enjoyed this game more.

That makes 9 losses in 10 games and they haven’t been competitive in a single one of the losses. Not one.

33. speeds says:

With this loss, EDM’s clinches at least the 8th OV draft pick.

34. Ice Sage says:

Stands looked like swiss cheese tonight – lots of empty seats, Paid for, sure, but these are the Hawks! Well at least that team gave good value tonight. I need a shower

35. OilLeak says:

rich:
    Just want to thank KLowe and his 6 rings for tonight.If it weren’t for his brilliance, I don’t know how I could have enjoyed this game more.

That makes 9 losses in 10 games and they haven’t been competitive in a single one of the losses.Not one.

I would argue that they weren’t competitive in the one win either.

36. Rondo says:

Looks like Edmonton will finish 27th.

1. Seth Jones
    2. Nathan Mackinnon

3.Aleksander Barkov

4. Oilers pick?

37. speeds says:

If EDM finished 7th worst, there would be an 87.7% chance they either win the lottery or don’t move down, meaning a top 7 pick would be pretty likely (though not guaranteed). That’s important if EDM sees the draft as having a distinct top 7, assuming they don’t trade the pick (who knows if that’s likely, I probably wouldn’t but it depends on the deal).

38. RickDeckard says:

Rondo,

I think Drouin and Jones make up the top two so the Oilers choose between Barkov or MacKinnon. Tough one, Barkov has that pro experience and size while MacKinnon is another Hall-type.

39. Rondo says:

Rondo,

If it does turn out like that I would hope Oilers would not pick Jonathan Drouin unless they trade Jordan Eberle. If they think Jonathan Drouin has a higher upside than Eberle, t then I could see trading him.

40. smellyglove says:

speeds:
    If EDM finished 7th worst, there would be an 87.7% chance they either win the lottery or don’t move down, meaning a top 7 pick would be pretty likely (though not guaranteed). That’s important if EDM sees the draft as having a distinct top 7, assuming they don’t trade the pick (who knows if that’s likely,I probably wouldn’t but it depends on the deal).

What makes you think the brain trust has a defined top 7?

41. Rondo says:

RickDeckard,

I’m guessing of course. But I think Jonathan Drouin will drop.

42. fifthcartel says:

So….. is Krueger feeling less and less confident about his position?

43. Captain Happy says:

Rondo:
    RickDeckard,

I’m guessing of course.But I think Jonathan Drouin will drop.

Florida will take Drouin #1 overall.

Colorado will get Seth Jones.

Book it.

44. gogliano says:

Updated odds:

A top 5 pick pre-lotto is now at a 63% chance.

45. Ice Sage says:

Captain Happy: Florida will take Drouin #1 overall.

Colorado will get Seth Jones.

Book it.

Stored for future reference. Not BPA but a Quebecois Kane / Toews must be awefully tempting.
    Anything that keeps small skilled forwards from Oilers ‘braintrust’ is progress

46. Kagato says:

DSF, please to donate to the LT beer fund. Thanks in advance.

47. VanOil says:

Yakupov 2 points back of the rookie scoring race lead. He has not quit.

48. asiaoil says:

Well all these losers need to do to finish bottom 4 is lose another 2 games – and nobody can lose like the Oilers. The MIN game is in the bag and only VAN can stop us – but they are powerless to deal with our ability to lose when the chips are down.

6 rings – 7 straight years out of the playoffs – the balance has swung!

49. speeds says:

smellyglove: What makes you think the brain trust has a defined top 7?

Nothing in particular, I think most scouting sources think there’s a top 7 or so, maybe top 8 (which would be Nurse). EDM has tended to pick F’s in the first round, be that an organizational philosophy or happenstance, and I think there’s a separation in the F’s after the top 6.

50. Gret99zky says:

Hopefully MacT has the fortitude to clear out the entire coaching staff, part ways with Horcoff and Smyth, replace the pro scouts, and beg-borrow-steal a real NHL defenceman.

51. Hockeyman 99 says:

I haven’t read any posts but I was thinking of Nashville and Edmonton as trade partners and wanted to see what people thought of my idea.

to Nashville: Gagner, N.Schultz, Horcoff, Dubnyk and 2014 1st and possible 2013 switch.

to Edmonton: Weber, Rinne and Legwand

In the next 2 years Nashville isn’t going to win much and is a havenot franchise at the start of a rebuild. The players going to Edm have a cap hit of about $19.3M and to Nash $17M if Gagner gets $4.5m, but in actual money the players going to Edm. will be owed $61.3M in the next 2 years and again assuming Gags gets $4.5 the players heading to Nashville are owed $23.5M. If I’m Nashville’s ownership and I am bracing for a hit in attendance for 3-5 years $40 Million is pretty hard to pass up.

52. Aron_S says:

Hockeyman 99,

Even if you’re blue-skying a trade scenario, I think Weber may not be tradeable for a calendar year since Nashville matched an offer sheet for him? I know there was some mention of that last summer. Someone else could let you know in a heartbeat, I’m sure.

53. Hockeyman 99 says:

This has to happen in July but a 2013 switch at the draft can be anounced as future considerations

54. Hockeyman 99 says:

I just think some team(s) is going to get these guys so why not us. If the contracts weren’t a problem for Nash they never trade these guys but I think the Weber and Rinne contracts only worked if they kept Suter as well and it didn’t happen and now no one wants to be there except Fischer

55. WeridAl says:

Captain Happy,

I wouldn’t bet on that, Florida has more of a need for D.

After watching that dismal performance, the Oilers are desperate in need for size at the center position.

56. russ99 says:

fifthcartel,

No way, the tank is on.

Keep playing those 3rd and 4th liners, Ralph. We’re only one point ahead of Tampa!

Not winnin’ for MacKinnon.

57. russ99 says:

BTW: It’s going to be an interesting “tank playoff” this weekend, as only 2 points separate the 3rd pick from the 7th with everyone having two games left to play.

3 – TB has @ Boston and vs. Florida
    4 – Nashville has @ Detroit and @ Columbus
    5 – Oilers have @ Minnesota and vs. Vancouver
    6 – Carolina has vs. Rangers and @ Penguins
    7 – Calgary is @ St. Louis and @ Chicago

With 2 losses we might pass Tampa however Nashville looks tough to pass facing the last 2 playoff teams playing for one spot (unless Detroit clinches early), but you never know.

« Older Comments