BRAND NEW DAY

I felt incredible relief with this morning’s news; we can return to talking about the importance of what you accomplish with the puck and about the importance of what you leave. We can discuss the possibility of getting full value in trade, about dealing draft picks for NHL players, about defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense.

Balance. Miles and miles of balance. I googled “unusual takeoffs and landings” 1,000 times since 2006 summer to describe this organization  and look forward to the day when I can google “perfect takeoffs and landings” to ready a positive blog post.

As a fan, watching your team lose is exhausting. It really is.

I can say that this is the first hire in quite some time at the pro level that makes sense emotionally and intellectually. Craig MacTavish has a fine brain, and when he speaks to the fans through the media I sense he believes he is talking to someone who can understand the salient and the subtle.

I think it is dangerous to read too much into today’s PC, except for the fact that MacT is so good at communicating that, for me, he’s elevated the organization already. I’m a fan, and I want to believe in this organization’s ability to complete this painful process. The talent now in-house (Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak, Schultz the younger) will thrive and sustain the Edmonton Oilers for a decade rolling out if handled properly, and I’m hopeful that MacT has all success in his new role.

This blog endorses the hiring, and will cheer like mad for the Edmonton Oilers.

YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?

Kevin Lowe’s press conference was alternately hilarious and disappointing. I know that the comments section will fill up with rage when I post this, but it’s over. Kevin Lowe is out of range, impervious, home and dry . If Daryl Katz didn’t make that move today, it will not happen. He’s Sinden in Boston, Clancy in Toronto.

Not penetrable is an outstanding job to have, there are very few anywhere in life.

Kevin Lowe has one. Fin.

As for my personal feeling about Lowe, my respect for him going back many years for his good works remains today. However, I can’t let this day pass without pointing out a couple of quotes:

• “We have two types of fans: we have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about but certainly the people that go to the games and support we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.”

The Oilers clearly do value the paying customer highly, it’s obvious in everything they do. The NHL is a gate business, and Kevin Lowe told us what he thought. In Edmonton, there are two types of people: those who can afford to go to games, and those who can’t afford to go to games. No doubt it wasn’t meant that way, but an organization about to build an arena with taxpayers help should probably choose their words carefully in these moments.

• “And lastly I’ll say, there’s one other guy I believe in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups than me, so I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern.”

You have to have the balls of a pirate, the feeling of being invincible and no awareness of the moment to make that statement on the eve of a 7th season outside the playoffs.

As theatre, today was brilliant. I don’t know if the brand did well, though.

BRAND NEW DAY

A couple of MacT notes:

• “grit without skill is not something that will move the dial of our team forward.”
  • “we have to do some bold things, we have to expose ourselves to risk.”

There’s iron in those words, and we should both take heart and be wary–MacT could send away the proverbial mountain in return for a molehill and we could be looking back on July 1, 2011 longingly. I don’t think so, though. This is a smart bet on a smart man.

Listening to the words today and applying them to the roster is dangerous, but Oiler fans are a smart bunch, and I think we know what needs to happen:

1. add a #1 defenseman
  2. add two legit NHL 2-way wingers
  3. improve depth across the roster

In terms of players “in danger”, it’s much too soon to say. If anyone is asking, I would never trade Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Yak City or Justin Schultz. I would be very, very careful in trading Samwise, Magnus Paajrvi, Jeff Petry, Devan Dubnyk, Ales Hemsky or this year’s first round selection.

In saying that, you absolutely know one or more of those assets are heading out of town this spring or summer.

Success comes from ownership, goaltending, and I’ve always been thinking that you can have a fire-wagon type of hockey but your ability to play good defence has got to surface. The thread that ran through all of my success was undoubtedly ownership’s commitment to win. I’ve been quite close to some of the owners, and the Bronfmans’ passion for the game as owners in Montreal and the Ilitches’ commitment to create a winning team in Detroit contributed greatly to our success.

-Scotty Bowman

178 Responses to "BRAND NEW DAY"

1. Rondo says:

Kevin Lowe showed his true self today. He is asked a question and he goes ballistic . Guys like that are so use to people saying yes sir to him. Obviously this guy is never challenged and must have an unhealthy ego.. I feel sorry for his family he is your classic bully.

And as I said earlier he will partially retract his statement by saying this is not what I meant, Rule of thumb with Public figures the first thing they say is the truth. The second is politics

2. jake70 says:

MacT says he is impatient, and then the bold move thing…..let’s hope bold does not equal stupid.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

You know, LT, if it wasn’t MacT being hired, I doubt your post would be so positive.

If it was anyone else – ex-Oiler or not – with Kevin Lowe still pulling the strings – I suspect you’d have more to say on the subject.

4. Ivan says:

Is it just me, or did Kevin Lowe turn into Brian Burke? He needs to be hidden far. far away from the fans who support this team.

BlacqueJacque:

6. VanOil says:

While I am not opposed to trades. This is a summer some one can make hay by having cap room.

On Defense:
    Sign Streit as a UFA. A place holder for Kelfbom and an upgrade on Whitney

Offer sheet Chris Tanev. MacT had him in Chicago.

At Center:
    Sign one of Grabovski or Lecavalier, both likely buy-outs. Both able to play the hard 2/3 line minutes. Horcoff would be a very good 4th line center.

In Goal:
    Not Bullin

On the wing:
    Not Jones

7. bookje says:

Kevin Lowe won’t pull any of Craig McTavish’s strings. I don’t think he pulled many of Tambellini’s.

He is just there to do some stuff here and there.

8. LMHF#1 says:

LT – 2 things, in all seriousness:

1. You have very often said things similar to your statement today that MacTavish has “a fine brain”. I’d like to understand why you are so convinced of this.

2. With men like Jim Nill and Lindy Ruff out there, how can you truly believe this is best? That is not consistent with your usual thought process.

9. Henry says:

I like the move overall, but am unsure if it is what is needed. Mac is a great Oiler, smart guy and a good communicator. I’ve been a fan of his for almost 30 years.

However, this is a tough job for a guy with his history, in particular with ‘his guys’. How dispassionate will he be if Horcoff or Smyth are to be bought out to free cap space or Hemsky traded for a D man? I could not be (in his position) because I love those guys. Could be worse for him.

10. pboy says:

It was absolutely fascinating to watch Lowe during the PC today. The arrogance, sense of entitlement and lack of awareness (I have 6 rings) were on full display and he said a couple of things that he probably regretted once his temperature lowered. I firmly believe that if this ship gets turned around with Lowe in the ” CEO” chair, MacT will have done a HOF job. The emperor was told something about his clothes today and he didn’t like it one bit.

11. danny says:

I think Gagners days are numbered. MacT is of the its what you give up school. Gagner is a D- student on the verge of making B+ allowance.

Problem is his bloated salary will limit the return to another player with faults and a big price tag. Unless of course they trade him for a guy like Brandon Sutter. Limited range, limited salary. It’s gonna be a tough trade to win.

Before anyone asks, I have been working on the kickstsrter project. Domain purchased, web forum instslled, insertion details etc. .. but I think today’s news may kill any appetite for this to happen. So I’ll let it be unless I get s sense that people still feel there is more to say.

12. bookje says:

danny,

There is $55 million needed for the arena…

13. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: Yes.

Fully expect LT would have been equally happy with any number of savvy managers being hired: Jim Nill, Don Maloney, etc. I sincerely hope MacT gets the job done. This a.m. was the day to gas Mr. 6 Rings if it was gonna happen. With Gainey being the last SC player to manage a team to the SC championship (98-99) Lowe solidifies that he’s merely 14 years out of touch with whats happening at a management level..

I listened to MacT’s comments re risk and think they will be going full out for a #1 D man. And a couple of our core players could be playing elsewhere next year. Pietrangelo? Weber? OEL?

14. Rondo says:

If Oilers are targeting a Dman in the draft with their first pick , why not go after Adam Larsson if he is available for the right price. NJ may not be interested but this might be the best chance at trading for him.

15. Henry says:

If anyone was able to record today’s press conference and can post it to youtube, I’d really love to see this event.

LMHF#1:
    LT – 2 things, in all seriousness:

Also, the one time he had a balanced team he took them to G7 SCF. I believe in many ways that team is the one Edmonton should be trying to build now–they were wonderful, balanced and strong up the middle.

I also believe he was good for young players and their development. It’s easy to remember him at the end–and he did go too far in regard to Penner, missed on Hejda etc but the guy did a very nice job developing talent at the NHL level. Many of his players are still in the NHL

2. I’m absolutely certain there are better qualified GMs in waiting out there and men who have done more to earn it. I said it’s a smart bet on a smart man, but can certainly agree there may be better options.

Worse ones too, and Steve Tambellini was one of them imo.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

danny,

Gagner being gone (and I think he’ll get a high return) is one of the better results I can foresee.

Like Hemsky, I’ve defended the guy enough that I’m tired of denying the obvious the whole time.

18. bendelson says:

Although many undoubtably will, I find it difficult to disagree with your article LT.
    I believe MacT is likely the most intelligent GM the Oilers have had in some time (ever?).
    The summer just got a great deal more interesting.

19. wheatnoil says:

Rondo:
    Kevin Loweshowed his true self today. He is asked a question and he goes ballistic .Guys like that are so use to people saying yes sir to him. Obviously this guy is never challengedand must have an unhealthy ego..I feel sorry for his family he is your classic bully.

The thing I like about this is that MacTavish (although also capable of getting fired up) tends to keep in check with his cognitive side… or at least it seems to take a lot more before he lets the emotional side take over, compared to Lowe. Emotions are good in hockey… but you do want some space between the emotional guy and the trigger. MacT, if nothing else, is that space.

I like the Silver Fox. He coached the team well, I thought. That doesn’t make him a good GM, though. That part of it remains to be seen. What will be interesting is comparing this and future drafts to previous drafts. Do they still go Coke Machine hunting? If nothing else, I’m interested again instead of mildly apathetic. It’s a start and as a fan, as always, I hope for the best.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I have a hard time believing someone so callously peevish as to snap at the least bit of prodding was sitting idle alongside ST the last number of years.

That guy today, dropping his achievements from 30 years ago as if they had the symbolic weight of curing cancer yesterday, is not hands off.

That, or he is an incredibly rabid, yet bizarrely indifferent, guard dog.

21. Rondo says:

wheatnoil,

A lot of words but wrong.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

exit questions:

1) how does this move affect the final 7 games? will we try to finish strong, or find another top 6 draft bullet? does it matter what we try to do?

2) concerning MacT’s discussion of exposure to risk: is it possible we are in for the dreaded 1 for 3 instead of a 3 for 1?

Being the OIler’s GM is pretty much the easiest gig in hockey right now.

I can see why they didn’t hold an open competition, everyone would have applied.

From Mike Milbury to Scotty Bowman (who knows eh? ha!) everyone want this gig.

More high end talent is here than almost every other franchise, save for 2-3, maybe.

The job has been “don’t fuck it up”

Now that Lowe and Tambellini has shown their ability in this regard, MacT is GM.

I thought he made it pretty clear the bucked stopped at the GM’s desk too.

Good thing.

In the last 4 years it was always a debate.

I’m pretty sure Darrell Katz would have watched that PC.

Therefore, I’m pretty sure Mr. Lowe is no longer the loudest voice in the room.

A good day.

24. sliderule says:

I was told by a reporter at our old paper that MacT offered to work out with Penner and Hemsky in order to get them in better shape.
    This shows what he will do to make team better.
    The oilers are In a better position today than they have been since they hired Tambo.

25. wheatnoil says:

Rondo:
    wheatnoil,

A lot of words but wrong.

Excellent point!

Romulus Apotheosis:
    exit questions:

1. I want Barkov or Monahan.
    2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

27. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

I actually did email klowe@edmontonoilers.com and dkatz@edmontonoilers.com that I could do a better job than stevet@edmontonoilers.com, but still wasn’t in the top 10,000 candidates for the job.

There are more than one great pieces of writing in this post.

This is among them.

29. RMGS says:

Given the insular Boys on the Bus logic that pervades the Oilers organization from top to bottom, MacT as GM may be the best option. It leaves Lowe as Good Ol’ Boys Club President Emeritus, at least.

But, foregoing a rational competition among qualified candidates to hire a GM with zero managerial experience is not smart, no matter how smart the man hired may be. It’s asking for trouble.

Still, much of what MacT said is promising (it wasn’t just style, also lots of substance), perhaps the most important being that talk is cheap. Firing Tambellini came about three years too late, so I’m excited as hell to see what comes next.

30. VanOil says:

I think we must give credit where it is due. The Edmonton MSM were on great form at the press conference.

The only thing that could of been better was one more re-joiner/chirp from Matheson to Kevin Lowe after the cup rings rant. “I was good enough at my job to ride Wayne to the Hockey Hall of fame, how about you?”

Lowe might of exploded.

One of the biggest reasons Mr. Lowe will next be seen at a pancake breakfast.

We implored Mr. Katz to keep him to pancakes.

We can all comfortably say:

“We told you so”

32. cabbiesmacker says:

VanOil:

On Defense:
    Sign Streit as a UFA. A place holder for Kelfbom and an upgrade on Whitney

Offer sheet Chris Tanev. MacT had him in Chicago.

At Center:

In Goal:
    Not Bullin

On the wing:
    Not Jones

Grabovski is acceptable as a 2C but at $5.5 for another 4 years? Again why? To get a shot at Gardiner? Is MG that big an upgrade over Sam Gagner when Gagner will probably make around a million less? Nothing against the player but there’s lots of better target options out there. ( I say this with very little love for SG)

Vinny’s pretty much done and his contract is up there with Campbell’s on the putrid scale. No.

Hopefully MacT is looking at the kinds of player moves that bring a real difference to the way this team plays the game. I don’t see any of what you suggest doing that. Sorry.

As a coach who lived through the pain of the imbalanced Lowe rosters, I have high hopes for this GM.

“You look up and….boy we have a lot of defensemen”

Kevin, it is you.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

One of the biggest reasons Mr. Lowe will next be seen at a pancake breakfast.

MacT and Penner have reconciled?

35. gr8one says:

LT,

You keep blogging about how aside from his boxcars, that Gagner is having a terrible season in every other aspect of his game, even if inexplicably…and yet in all of your lists of weakness the Oilers need to address you never seem to mention the importance of finding another legit top 2 C, does Gagner’s ineffectiveness not scream the importance of addressing that?

don’t get me wrong, I love Gagner, I love his passion and his willingness to drop the gloves and all of the other things, but even with amazing boxcars this season he’s clearly done more harm than good, so from a pure asset management standpoint wouldn’t the ideal situation be for the Oilers to “sell high” on him and reap the benefits of those great boxcars, or are you still of the belief that he will become that two way threat that this team really needs?

Having said that, if I were to dream up my ideal offseason it would be the Oilers position ourselves to be able to pick Barkov or Monahan, sign and trade Gagner for a true top 4 multi-tool D-Man(Tyutin type), a few key FA signings to address need, and last but not least, flush the boat anchors that just aren’t NHL players anymore or never were.

I will be dreaming of Lecavalier getting bought out by TB and him signing a value contract with us until it doesn’t happen, How about Bryan Bickell and Mark Streit, maybe even a Nathan Horton?

Hall Nuge Eberle
    PRV Lecavalier Yakupov
    Bickell Barkov Horton
    Harski Horcoff Brown/Jones

Streit Petry
    Tyutin J.Schultz
    Klefbom N.Schultz

Gagner/Smid/Hemsky traded to help move up in draft/picks to help stock the cupboards to help ensure future success…

I’d even dangle Eberle as much as I love him…but only because his damned contract is going to be damned hard for him to live up to in E town and damn we could get a nice piece in return.

Obviously this isn’t EA NHL2K13 and not all(if any) of that will take place but with the unique situation of compliance buyouts I think management can be poised(<–see what I did there?) to do some unique things this summer.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

More exit questions:

3) the confused push back on Gregor’s pro scouting question was disappointing. Maybe we see more moves in the offseason with less splash… but I’d like to think MacT is at least getting good advice. Any chance something happens here?

4) I don’t think Ricky O ought to remain as the “cap guy.” I’m hoping MacT and his MBA sees the light here and finds someone who knows a thing or two about contracts, agreements, etc. Any chance something happens here?

5) in the PC when asked about coaching, MacT gave RK a big hug of support but also suggested leaving Smith and Buch in place. Talking with Stauffer later he said he may add another assistant coach after consulting with RK in the Summer. Any chance something happens here?

37. VanOil says:

cabbiesmacker: I really wish the Streit adoration would simply go away. He’s not the right answer and we already have a couple of him in waiting so WHY?

Streit buys time, one year or so, for Kelfbom to play in the AHL.

Grabovski or Vinny as UFAs means they have been bought out and are on cheaper contracts. They could be added to RNH, Gagner and Horcoff. Not replacing them. They buy time for Lander and who ever our first over all pick is, likely a Center, to develop.

38. Rocknrolla says:

Woodguy,

Classic LT!

39. Dominoiler says:

Lots has been written about Lowe and MacT, but what were the deets regarding Howson?.. assistant GM or a consultant type job?.. I think it is reasonable to believe that those three are all involved in the major decisions, remember that this is a management group (a philosophy Katz is big on)..

40. gr8one says:

cabbiesmacker,

I’m an advocate of a Streit signing for a few reasons, but only if it makes sense. To make sense it can’t be an overpay, and only a 2 year deal.

You’re right in the sense that we have more in waiting, but the Oilers need to start winning next season…in order to do that they will need some seasoned vets that can help immediately, so if the above criteria were met I think Streit would be the perfect stop gap.

Also, since he’s an UFA, noe assets will be needed to acquire him, and lastly, his history and rapport with Krueger just helps it all make sense.

But I wouldn’t say my advocacy of this equates to adoration so much as under those circumstances it makes sense.

41. Mr DeBakey says:

Just watched the presser, the above is why Lowe is not a good NHL GM.
    All he had to do was STFU before he said "And…"
    But he was so mad he couldn't stop himself.
    It was a useful trait when he wanted to come out of the corner with the puck.
    But man, that was terrible.
    MacT shudda kicked him in the shin.

Dominoiler:

Howson will be key when they trade for Johnson and Umberger (drops mic).

Did I do that right?

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hey LT,

how desperately do you think MacT wanted to say “are you sure you want to say that” once Lowe started down the “two types of fans” road?

I’d be kicking legs under the table and sending eye daggers.

44. Rocknrolla says:

Lowetide: Howson will be key when they trade for Johnson and Umberger (drops mic).

Did I do that right?

Yes you did LT, Yes you did….Wanye would be proud.

45. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think Ricky O ought to remain as the “cap guy.”

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Hey LT,

I’d be kicking legs under the table and sending eye daggers.

47. misfit says:

Well, if people have been worried about the Oilers not being willing or able to defend themselves, at least we all know now that we don’t have to worry about that from a management standpoint. Lowe’s comments probably weren’t the smartest, but it was nice to see someone from this organization push back, even if it was just in a room full of guys in suits.

There were many times during MacT’s previous tenure with this team that I felt he was the only person in the organization who knew what the team needed to be successful. “I want Marty back” and playing Pisani at center when replacements for Stoll and Reasoner weren’t deemed necessary by management come to mind. Needless to say, I’m glad someone who actually seems like he knows what he’s talking about has the power to make decisions. I don’t think there was one Tambellini acquisition where I got the impression that Tambo knew anything about the player he just aquired, or what he brought to the team.

During his time on the TSN panel, I remember him talking at length about the Oilers’ need for a big centerman (I think it was in one of the preseason or midseason draft rankings segments with Bob MacKenzie). So I do think that will be among one of his targets. If nothing else, I do expect his aquisitions to be made with a mind to how his coach might actually use him.

48. jfry says:

Lowe showing off the comrie trade fire on the one question. He’s hilarious. Can’t wait til he’s old and half nuts.

Really feel like we’re going to hear a lot about jack Johnson around these parts, again. Having to wait until July for Mact to start wheeling and dealing is going to be excrutiating. I wish we at least had one roster spot to see how he’d use it on a college UFA.

This team just got way more fun to watch off ice, that’s for sure.

Mact referenced having to know how to process stats in the new game. That’s encouraging and I’m surprised more people haven’t mentioned it.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Did I do that right?

needs more Randy Watson

50. misfit says:

stevezie: I agree, but I seem to remember one of HOwson’s stengths was contracts, so maybe Ricky is already on his way out?

There don’t seem to be many value contracts on the Bluejackets from what I can tell. Maybe some of that is the fact that Columbus hasn’t been the league’s most attractive market, but still…

51. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: lol. It’s got to be a tough damn job being in front of a hostile media. I didn’t see the pc until just before 5pm when I got home but MAN there were more tough questions today than the entire 90s combined.

Believe hostile media was, in part, as result of the Al Gore, blogs like this and Twitter. Tey know how angry so many people are. It manifested some real tough questions. Lowe was not ready for any of it

Loved it

52. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: 1. MacT made all kinds of good decisions as a coach, one of them involving Hemsky when he arrived. 19-year old kid, MacT brought him along slowly but also put him on a 1line that faced tough comp. He could have shielded the kid but (rightly imo) felt the player had enough talent to do it all

Worse ones too, and Steve Tambellini was one of them imo.

I know we’re going to disagree on MacTavish for reasons discussed many times in the comments section here and likely before on HF as well. I appreciate your reasoned take in backing up your assessment.

I’d also agree that there are worse things that could have been done today, including nothing at all. As I’ve stated multiple times today, for all our sakes I hope he learned some things from Sather.

Thanks as always for taking the time to reply. I’m sure it has been a crazy day.

53. Bank Shot says:

misfit: There don’t seem to be many value contracts on the Bluejackets from what I can tell.Maybe some of that is the fact that Columbus hasn’t been the league’s most attractive market, but still…

It boggles my mind that “Howson is good at contracts” is an idea that has some cache anywhere. The Oilers had a tonne of overpaid depth guys after the cup run, and Howson was supposedly the handler of those contracts.

VanOil,

I’ve dislike both Mark Spector and John McKinnon with their usual vapid writings on the Oilers from a place of little authority.

Both of them killed it today with the questions, that we as fans, wanted asked.

Well done to both of them.

LMHF:
    Crazy only in that I had to listen to the PC in the car and had a meeting right in the middle. GACK!
    Always enjoy our conversations.

56. gcw_rocks says:

jake70,

Yes, whale hunting bold moves have worked out so well for the Oilers in the past. I hope I am wrong but I have a very bad feeling about where this is going to go.

Sure, MacT is the best quote in the business, but slick in front of a crowd and smart in the boardroom are all too often not the same thing.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: Believe hostile media was, in part, as result of the Al Gore, blogs like this and Twitter. Tey know how angry so many people are. It manifestedsome real tough questions. Lowe was not ready for any of it

Loved it

I think that’s right… a lot of the pro journalists are pretty in tune with the social media chatter and that taps them into the oilogosphere

It has to be said though, I was thoroughly impressed by the media holding up it’s end of the bargain today. It was like the house of commons in there. I’m surprised there wasn’t more feet stomping and hollers of support.

Lowe gave the media a huge gift too… losing your mind in public is good for business. But he distracted from MacT’s big day.

3 best items from MacT today:

1) grit without skill = nothing

2) I learned to be aware of and value statistical information beyond traditional stats.

3) no one should think the problem with this team has anything to do with coaching

he hit those points hard and I think those are good signs.

cabbiesmacker,

No he won’t replace Gagner.

He’d replace Horcoff, who has a much more important role than Gagner on the team.

Too much $ though.

Just like Horcoff!

Bitched about for lack of offence with previous good seasons of offense.

Just like Horcoff!!

Perfect replacement.

That and he excels at tough comp C with some offense.

Having an off year.

59. sliderule says:

I would suggest to MacT that he look at hiring Pearn as an assistant .

He is local and has worked for a great defensive coach in Montreal

60. gcw_rocks says:

Howson will be key when they trade for Johnson and Umberger (drops mic).
    Did I do that right?

With Nuge going the other way!

61. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

No he won’t replace Gagner.
    Too much $ though.
    Just like Horcoff!
    Bitched about for lack of offence with previous good seasons of offense.
    Just like Horcoff!!
    Perfect replacement.
    That and he excels at tough comp C with some offense.
    Having an off year.

He should replace Gagner when they trade Gagner for a top defender.

62. gr8one says:

Jack Johnson = nonononononono!!!NO!

Fedor Tyutin – Yes.

By gawd, I hope MacT has the sense to not go near JJ. You all are freaking me out now.

sliderule:
    I would suggest to MacT that he look at hiring Pearn as an assistant .

He is local and has worked for a great defensive coach in Montreal

That would be a very good choice imo.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one:
    Jack Johnson = nonononononono!!!NO!

Fedor Tyutin – Yes.

this!

also when are they going to announce Ron Low’s hiring?

65. jfry says:

I think there will be some decent buyout fodder based on some of the rumours coming out of cities. If vinny, Richards, Lou or bryz really are bought out, they’d look okay on a two year contract at cents on the dollar.

Mact implied that if they were hunting for Hosea or heatley that they’d do better now. Curious how that plays out.

66. Gerta Rauss says:

Henry:

They have 1 on 1 interviews up on the Oilers site if anyone is interested.

67. supernova says:

I think Horcoff has to be the happiest man in Edmonton today.

His two biggest supporters are President and GM.

If the oil have the success we want them too, he will get on ice recognition, and have a job for life.

The Next boy on the bus is the current captain and he still has many playing years.

I need his Horseshoe!

68. Ducey says:

I don’t know how anyone could be surprised that a guy nicknamed Vish would react in an emotional way.

Most of us around here have got pissed off at other posters and typed things we probably regret.

Not a big deal.

I like the addition of Howson. He seems to have an affinity to bigger bodied players who can look after themselves and chip in some offense. I expect he will have a lot of insight into deficiencies in the internal processes and hopefully usher in a revamp of pro scouting.

I expect the days of the GM relying on Stu to advise on players based on their draft year might be over too.

As a disciple of LT, I too like MacT. Though I could never bring myself to wish for a return of MAP and I don’t hate Smid.

69. jfry says:

Also, how much does Mact get fined for talking about lucic when he’s not even 10 minutes into the job? 10k?

70. supernova says:

Who will his top 6 truculent player be let’s start making odds.

Clarkson is the obvious if he hits UFA

supernova:

Who will his top 6 truculent player be let’s start making odds.

Clarkson is the obvious if he hits UFA

What about Raffi?

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jfry:

what’s the rule here… some people said “tampering” but if you simply mention a player as a “type” you are interested does it matter?

If he used a former player would it make a difference?

73. misfit says:

jfry:

I don’t remember Lowe getting fined one offseason a few years ago where he said something along the lines of “Patrick Marleau’s aren’t made available very often”, so I doubt MacT gets in trouble for it. Though just to be safe, he should’ve said Cam Neely or Brendan Shanahan or something rather than a current player.

But who knows. I didn’t catch it, but it looked like Lowe said something to him about it just after MacT said Lucic’s name.

gcw_rocks,

He should replace Gagner when they trade Gagner for a top defender.

If the OIlers draft a big C in the top 8, I wouldn’t mind seeing Grabbo go to 2C, I bet he’s score with Yak very well.

I’d trade Gagner for a real 1LHD.

When Horcoff’s contract is up in 2 years you move Grabbo to 3C and the kid they draft this summer will have to fight with Lander for 2C.

Lander might win it for a year and if the Oilers are lucky that kid will be able to play and there’s nothing wrong with earning 2C from the 4C spot.

75. cabbiesmacker says:

VanOil: Streit buys time, one year or so, for Kelfbom to play in the AHL.

Streit is soft as baby poop though VO and addresses only the puckmover aspect. Plus he’ll be 36 next year yes? I’d rather they went after a younger guy with a little more on the size and pushback side even if it means more coin. Don’t think we should be penciling KBomb into the lineup just yet either.

I’m ok with Grabs if the buyout you mention has happened but still doubt he’ll be a big savings from Gagner. I’m possibly one of Gags biggest detractors here but I just don’t see moving a small C for a small C even Grabovski brings a little more to the table.

Man I love Vinny. when he dropped the gloves and laid one on Iginla I damn near sported wood for the guy. Can’t see him playing in Edmonton on the cheap is all. You pay more to force players to live here remember. He’d probably head back to C…I mean Montreal to close out his career.

76. VanOil says:

Interested to see who gets to sit for Ladner and Hartakienen? Lander on the wing or at center?

77. jonrmcleod says:

Did anyone mention Lander and Hartikainen being recalled by the Oilers today? Is it a coincidence that they are recalled immediately after MacTavish is hired?

78. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    cabbiesmacker,

No he won’t replace Gagner.

Too much $ though.

Just like Horcoff!

Bitched about for lack of offence with previous good seasons of offense.

Just like Horcoff!!

Perfect replacement.

That and he excels at tough comp C with some offense.

Having an off year.

You see Horcoff turning down the player coach role then WG? Followed Grabovski for a long time. Had him in my keeper pool for years when he first came into the league. Nice enough player and Burke labeled him as untouchable at one time but imo only he’s more of the same with a little step up. We can do better bud. We need a 2C thats a real 2C. A Couture/Pavelski to Thornton if you will. Sammy’s going to get ballpark $5M. I think that’s money gets a reasonable 2way facsilile.

79. jonrmcleod says:

Are “bold” and “risk” the new “poise” and “assess”?

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Interested to see who gets to sit for Ladner and Hartakienen?

It’s funny that you’re from Van and you misspelled Lander as Ladner.

that is all.

jonrmcleod:
    Are “bold” and “risk” the new “poise” and “assess”?

They are now.

Well done.

I don’t think MacT repeats himself as much as Tambo, so it won’t be easy to label him with some catch phrases.

82. hunter1909 says:

As a “non-paying fan”…

Go Leafs go.

Go Habs go.

83. jonrmcleod says:

84. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s funny that you’re from Van and you misspelled Lander as Ladner.

that is all.

My dsylxia (sic) includes location based spell checking!

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Philly wining, about to draw level with Oilers on points. Nashville looks like they are giving a text book lesson on tanking for a pick. How else do explain 7 straight losses for a Trotz team? Still barring a MacT rally we are in for a decent pick.

at this point losing is still the preferred option. there’s a chance we get down to Barkov territory still.

86. Dahoosman says:

For me the decision came down to this:

This offseason could be akin to the “Pronger/Peca” offseason where teams were teams will make good players available because of the reduction in the cap. This was the same situation the Oilers exploited in the 2005 offseason on the way to the SCR.

I don’t think Tambo had it in him to make quick decisions, and I don’t think the franchise believed he could take advantage of the opportunity this summer brings.

What will I miss about Tambo? He made the draft and development system one that I think the Oilers can be somewhat proud of. He brought back and legitimized the farm team.

What will I be happy about? Bad bets on professional players. A team full of holes. I don’t doubt after striking out with both Hossa and Heatley the Oilers felt the only way to aquire top end talent was through the draft. I can buy that the felt this was Edmonton’s only option. I can’t buy not surrounding the team with actual players.

See you somewhere: Jones, Whitney, Petrell, Hordichuck, Eager and Belanger. It was nice knowing you.

87. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: that’s one of my worries — expressed above — that the team wakes up and starts winning.

The good news is there are some really bad/crazy GM’s ahead of us in the draft. Something good might fall our way, probably not Barkov good unfortunately. Carolina line up for him at 4th right now are loaded at Center, maybe they swap 1st picks with us for our spare second pick.

88. bill needle says:

Hard to imagine a picture of MacTavish on an Obama-style HOPE poster if you’re an Oilers fan.
    So who gets the axe when the Oilers miss the playoffs again next year?

89. Smarmy says:

Too many comments to read from today but I watched the presser and it was great.

Lowe talking patience, Mac-T talking impatience. Lowe ragging on “non-paying” fans while his boss is getting hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars for a new rink.

The guys talking about how Katz has provided them with everything they’ve needed to succeed and then not succeeding at all.

Lowe really has isolated himself from reality it would seem.

90. PunjabiOil says:

Not surprised by Lowe’s massive ego. He still doesn’t distinguish his success as a player and as a GM. This is the third time he’s publicly referenced his Stanley Cup rings:

1. During the 2004 Flames Cup run, a bitter Lowe exclaimed “look, come back to me when they have 5 Stanley Cup rings”

2. During his feud with Brian Burke

3. Today.

It’s quite sad, actually.

91. Suntory Hanzo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well played.

The draft is likely to go

1. Jones
    2. Drouin
    3. MacKinnon
    4. Barkov
    5. Monahan

That’s worst case scenario top 5 for the Oilers imo, they are currently sitting 8th. If you assume someone takes Nurse (let’s say #6) that means

7. Lindholm
    8 OILERS

They could pick the Russian Nichushkin, the Finn defender Ristolainen, big Anthony Mantha, Lazar or one of the others in that range. Or they could trade up for Barkov/Monahan.

jonrmcleod:

The Oilers should have stuck to their own dynasty.

94. Captain Happy says:

Everyone needs to read this analysis from a smart guy who has no dog in this fight:

The draft is likely to go

1. Jones
    2. Drouin
    3. MacKinnon
    4. Barkov
    5. Monahan

7. Lindholm
    8 OILERS

ISS released a new ranking today.

They have Nichushkin 2nd.

Really love what he did in the KHL playoffs.

Rank Name
    25 Anthony Mantha
    26 Max Domi
    27 Madison Bowey
    28 Ryan Hartman
    29 Nic Petan
    30 Chris Bigras

I know the ISS is not well regarded by many, but its out there.

Horvat moved up from 24 to 10 and Lazar down only 1 spot from 11to 12.

Interesting stuff.

96. stevezie says:

Bank Shot,

If memory serves Howson negotiated the shrewd Hemsky, Smyth, Smith and Pronger contracts and it was only after he left that the wheels came off with the Moreau, Pisani, Horcoff and Staois deals (all fine, fine players- just bad deals).

I am deep in the forest right now and do not have the connection to research this. Feel free to prove me wrong. I will blame Bendelson.

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Yes.

The Oilers should have stuck to their own dynasty.

Hire Ron Low!

98. Ducey says:

Woodguy: Yes.

The Oilers should have stuck to their own dynasty.

The Ring Dynasty!

99. Gerta Rauss says:

Kind of a surreal day today..something we’ve all waited/hoped for years comes to fruition and then that presser was just plain weird.

A good day overall, but the road ahead hasn’t changed one iota- they have some serious decisions to make in the next 3 months and there is going to be upheaval and significant change that may not be popular.

We wait.

Woodguy: ISS released a new ranking today.

They have Nichushkin 2nd.

Really love what he did in the KHL playoffs.

RankName
    25Anthony Mantha
    26Max Domi
    27Madison Bowey
    28Ryan Hartman
    29Nic Petan
    30Chris Bigras

I know the ISS is not well regarded by many, but its out there.

Horvat moved up to 10 and Lazar at 12.

Interesting stuff.

I like ISS, they do a nice job on the writeups and their rankings are interesting. McKenzie’s the gold standard, Redline I love because they’re really hard to please, but I’d put ISS next in line.

If the Oilers get a chance at Monahan I’ll bet money the rush the stage.

101. supernova says:

Top 6 though?

I can see him back as a 3 or 4 line winger.

102. supernova says:

Agree if Monahan is there they rush the stage,

The oilers list is

Barkov
    Monahan
    Gauthier
    Lazar
    Horvat,

Is the list I believe with Gauthier being ahead of Lazar based on size as they are clearly desperate for it.

103. Bank Shot says:

stevezie:
    Bank Shot,

Nah Howson was in place for the Pisani, Moreau, and Staios retirement contracts. Both Staios and Moreau re upped in 06, and Howson left in 07.

104. Ducey says:

PHX signs Reider to a 3 yr ELC

105. gr8one says:

My biggest draft concern is the Oilers apparent woody they have for Lazar…I just worry that the ‘saw him good” pull might be too much for them to overcome with all those games he’s already played in RX1.

Like if say Monahan is still available and they still go with Lazar or trade down a few spots to gain another asset and pic Lazar later…we’ll call it the “Parise effect”…

I don’t have a dislike for Lazar, I just don’t want a reach pick to get him when there are better choices on the board.

In other words….if Monahan is still available when the Oil pick I sure as hell hope they rush the stage!!

Not that I

My only other draft day wish is that MacT dyes his flowing locks red so he can upstage the annoying little Katz ginger kid that makes an appearance every draft day…

106. art vandelay says:

So the same bozos who guided the NHL’s Worst Franchise (c) to one flukey Cup run in 23 seasons is now re-assembled?
    Somewhere, Charles Wang is laughing.
    Enjoy the losing, Oiler fan.

107. FastOil says:

bookje:
    Kevin Lowe won’t pull any of Craig McTavish’s strings.I don’t think he pulled many of Tambellini’s.

He is just there to do some stuff here and there.

Like having fun with one of the wealthiest men in Canada while passing said wealthy’s messages on to the people accountable. I want that job (well depending on the wealthy guy).

I don’t buy it completely, but I do buy that Lowe is smart enough to step above the fracas that is winning, to a more secure perch.

108. FastOil says:

pboy:

Perfect

109. Captain Happy says:

Some of the local media seem to not be on board:

From the Edmonton Sun:

“Edmonton Oilers fans are being asked to remain patient while the guy who can’t get the job done now is replaced by the guys who couldn’t get the job done before.

Seriously.

In a surreal and combative media conference that some described as a cross between a Saturday Night Live skit and a military dictatorship explaining the latest “election” results, President For Life Kevin Lowe stepped to the microphone Monday and laid out the Oilers master plan:

Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

Seriously. That’s what you are being asked to swallow.

No word yet on when Tom Renney and Pat Quinn are coming back, or when Ethan Moreau assumes his position as Assistant to the GM.”

110. Racki says:

What I took out of today is that basically MacTavish said all the right things today, while Lowe said pretty much the wrong things. He got heated from a question or two from the media (whom I applaud for asking “Difficult” questions rather than softballs, such as the one about how can fans be reassured things will change if the people that created this mess are still here). I still don’t really know what all to make of what he said, and have a bit of hope some was taken wrong. But I dunno. Anyways, some of it (the cup rings, for example) weren’t really open to interpretation.

However, I will note MacT said it best.. it doesn’t matter what he (he meant himself) said today.. it won’t make him a good manager or not. But I did think that what I heard was good stuff that we’d never get out of Tambellini. I think Tambellini had a lot more say than people want to give him credit for.. but I think he was slow moving, and feared to make too many big risks. I think MacTavish having suffered through a coaching stint will be able to know what this team best needs and be able to go out and get it… if it can be obtained.

111. Captain Happy says:

A comment posted on ON that each and every Oiler fan needs to read:

“Sorry for comments here kevin. Afterall, I am one of those other fans.

I remember going to Oiler games as a Bay Blueliner. Yep, up there in the deep end, WHA days, cheering the boys. My family didnt have much, so that’s all I could afford. Sorry I wasn’t a better fan Kevin.

Then the NHL came. I was a student at the Uof A, paying my tuition, scartched together a few dollars to attend the odd game or so. Sorry i did’nt do more.

The I graduated! Got a job. Still couldn’t really afford tickets, but i got a jersey and watched all the games I could. I know I could have done more.

Then I got transfered to Thunder Bay! I subscibed and got the Saturdat Journal mailed to me, before the internet came Kevin, to keep tabs on the TV. I missed the games pn ITV, but found out ITV was carried in the town of Long Lac, four hours north. I went there every Wednesday I could to watch the team. Youare boys were fantastic Keven. All those cups. I bet there would have been more if I did more.

Then, I got transfered to calgary. Close to home! Still an Oiler fans. My kids are 21 and 18 now. Since they were 4 and 2, I bought tickets every Christmas when I came up and took my father and my two sons to a game. We have been faithfully doing it every year, except the strike years of course. But i understand, you needed more money.

We didn’s miss this year though. We came up just a few weeks ago and say you beat calgary. My 86 year old and my sons loved it. What a tradition! Alas, it’s not enough however.

I’m so sorry I am not an “A” fan Kevin. I havn’t missed a game on TV yet this year, I have a bunch of jesey’s, even one signed by Smyth when my son was ill and in the hospital.

It’s not easy being a die-hard fan in calgary Kevin. My neighbours don’t like me. My co-workers are on me for the last seven years. But I stayed true. Now you don’t like me.

On behalf of all of us, who have been there from the beginning, who grew up with the team, I’m sorry for not being a better fan.

Now it’s your turn to apoligize to all of us.”

If I was the owner of the Oilers, Lowe would have been fired before he got back to his office.

It’s quite sad, actually.

112. FastOil says:

wheatnoil: The things people say when they’re upset do not necessarily indicate their “true selves”… rather, they indicate their “emotional selves”. From a distance, Lowe comes across as an emotional man who loses the cognitive aspect of himself when he gets fired up. That doesn’t make him a horrible family man nor does it mean his ego is “unhealthy”… it’s just a part of his personality that is not dissimilar from many hockey players.

Nicely said

113. Lois Lowe says:

Captain Happy:

114. Ducey says:

gr8one,

I would think that the supposed love for Lazar will be mitigated somewhat by the regime change.

Howson would have scouting reports from the Jackets before he was fired and he has been scouting since. MacT has been scouting as well. Stu will likely have to satisfy a few savy guys to justify a top 10 pick on Lazar.

115. Ducey says:

Lois Lowe: I agree with the point of the article but calling Burnside a “smart guy” is a stretch.

Well its relative to Lt Happy

Hi Art!

117. vishcosity says:

Today Lowe reminded me of a cop.
    Say something they don’t like, and immediately they go physical.
    That was disconcertingly a bit like a scene from V.

So I wonder, today, who bought lunch?

118. Racki says:

I honestly think that the Oilers probably DO have an interest in Lazar, and I think he’s a good player they should be interested in (if they drafted late in 1st round), however I honestly think the biggest push to get Lazar is from fans. I don’t think the Oilers would have interest in drafing Lazar unless they had a pick in the 20s.

As much as we criticize the Oil suits, I think they know quite well that Sean Monahan is a much much safer draft choice for the team than Lazar. It is pretty obvious he’s the best player the team can draft, and they may do all they can to ensure they draft him. After Monahan, they’ll still look elsewhere. They won’t be drafting Lazar with our pick, and they’ll only move the pick if they feel there is no one in our pick range that can help us… but I don’t see that happening, unless the pick helps land us a good player of the type we really need now (unlikely).

119. stevezie says:

Bank Shot,

Well, I’ll still give Howson credit for the Hemsky and Pronger contracts, but you’re right his record was far from perfect. The Horcoff deal happened after he left, but that really isn’t a credit to him, it’s just not a negative.

120. Bank Shot says:

Racki: . I think MacTavish having suffered through a coaching stint will be able to know what this team best needs and be able to go out and get it… if it can be obtained.

Well he scouted for the Oilers after he left the team, and has been working in that department since his return. We talk about how pro scouting has been bad. Mactavish has been a part of that group off and on.

Racki:

Interesting ISS has him at 12, wonder if he moves up on the other rankings.

122. cabbiesmacker says:

gr8one:

You mean Harpo Marx – Katz ?

123. FPB94 says:

If he scores more than 60 points in an NHL season he’d be the first with his draft year stats to do so in a decade. Yipee ka yai,

Regional bias at it’s best. When a 2nd liner who could potentially play 1st lined if his team wasn’t good goes over bona fide 1st liners who carry their team at age 17.

124. Lois Lowe says:

In all seriousness, is this MacT beta version or are we calling this 1.0?

125. Racki says:

Lowetide: I think Lazar is the first Oil King playr that Oiler fans don’t want BECAUSE he’s an Oil King and there’s a feeling that they aren’t doing due diligence. In the case of Lazar, I think he may well be one of the 10 best players in the draft.

Interesting ISS has him at 12, wonder if he moves up on the other rankings.

FPB94:

What is your opinion of Monahan?

Racki: I seem to recall Lazar being 5th or 6th at the start of the year too on their rankings. He dropped a fair bit when he slumped to start the season off. I think Lazar is a fine player (having watched all of the 2012 playoffs in person, and some scattered regular season games, I became enamored with Lazar, myself), but I think there is no chance he gets drafted where the Oilers draft, which almost certainly will be top 10, the way they’ve been playing.

We’ll see, things always change in the final 6 weeks. Lazar is late first round coming into the final run (Redline has him #22), so I’d guess even with a push he ends up outside the top 15.

128. FastOil says:

VanOil: Streit buys time, one year or so, for Kelfbom to play in the AHL.

Streit plays easy minutes and is old and undersized. I can’t straight see the help he would be, other than skating fancy and getting beat instead of the opposite. The Oilers need to push the depth chart down.

129. FPB94 says:

Big guy who has a more proven track record than a lot of guys in the draft. Likely didn’t improve stats wise because he dragged an absolutely putrid team (when your best teammate is 15 you don’t have much help). I think Kerby Richel is in the same mold (so if you can get both it’s a great day)

I think he proved he could play in both situations (last year being a 3rd wheel on a good team, this year being the man on a bad team). So it’s easier to escape the shades of Pouliot. Statistically ressembles Couture.

I like, really do. Helps that Toffoli and Prince looks like actual players.

I like Lazar in the 2nd round.

130. PunjabiOil says:

Two players that exemplify Steve Tambellini’s inability to make a decision during his tenure as an Oilers GM.

Jason Strudwick

Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers

If you’re GM cannot make the easiest and most obvious of decisions, how does it inspire confidence for him to make the larger scale decisions?

There haven’t been too many good moves Tambellini has made over the years. Perhaps the Penner trad.e A good GM knows when to sell high [Brule, Souray (2008-2009)].

The Khabibulin signing in a buyers market, with Roloson expressing interest at coming back for 2 years at much lower price – I mean, that’s Doug MacLean territory.

All that said, unlike Lowe, Tambellini didn’t cripple the organization when leaving the GM role with unattractive contracts. As I said when Tambellini was hired, he walked into a situation having to clean up the mess Lowe left behind. The problem was that he didn’t do anything after the mess was cleaned up – he just created a new pile.

MacT is coming into a pretty situation with little excuses to offer. Rapid progression, and at minimum, playoffs should be the outcome.

Minimum.

131. Racki says:

What Monahan has most going for him, is similar to what the proponents of Seguin brought up.. he’s putting up pretty good numbers on a team with a very poor supporting cast. He’s got nearly double the points of the second highest point getter on the 67s (who is merely 15, btw!).

I haven’t been able to watch him at all, but it sounds like he is useful at both ends of the rink, and is a great passer.

132. Nostradumbass says:

I can’t understand how anyone is giddy about this move and I say this as a huge MacT fan.

The days of ex players and old boys cubs running teams by the seat of their balls is over. It’s like Disco music, still being played but not by any serious club.

The future belongs to guys who can assess risk, determine market inefficiencies and mispriced assets. Smart individuals that can leverage the CBA to maximum advantage and game plan not only what the Oilers should do but what other teams might have to do.

Mac T’s comments about his lack of patience and all the talk about big bold moves and taking risks is saddening.

Show me an impatient trader in the markets and I’ll show you somebody who used up a lot of other peoples capital.

I don’t want bold moves, I don’t want now moves and I don’t want wow moves.

I want a GM who recognizes when a good asset acquisition opportunity presents itself and takes it and I want a GM who uses all available advantages to tip the scales for the allocating of capital (cap space)

All I see today is a gang of brontosaurs who haven’t acknowledged the smoke rising from the asteroid collision

133. DBO says:

Captain Happy:
    A comment posted on ON that each and every Oiler fan needs to read:

“Sorry for comments here kevin. Afterall, I am one of those other fans.

Now it’s your turn to apoligize to all of us.”

It’s quite sad, actually.

Yep. So true, and man I hope Katz sees it and Lowe is on last life with this team. Embarrassing to the team, and especially since they need money to build the arena, but are asking all of those “not as important” citizens who don’t/can’t afford to go to games to help pay for the arena. Not good. This will hurt the arena deal. And if it does, Lowe better be gone.

134. FPB94 says:

Racki,

A big plus is that he played well before when the 67′s were a good team. So at least it puts that fear to bed.

FPB94:

I think he proved he could play in both situations (last year being a 3rd wheel on a good team, this year being the man on a bad team). So it’s easier to escape the shades of Pouliot.Statistically ressembles Couture.

I like, really do. Helps that Toffoli and Prince looks like actual players.

I like Lazar in the 2nd round.

That’s what they said about Pouliot.

136. DBO says:

FPB94,

uuhhmm. eerrrr… Pouliot esque maybe?

137. FPB94 says:

I guess. But I could say Lazar’s story ressembles a bunch of guys you’ve never heard of. (And even because some guys who were good scorers missed doesn’t mean it becomes rationale to take guys who couldn’t score in Junior and hope they’l do in the NHL (In this case it would be pass but…)

138. BlueNoteNorth says:

Lois Lowe:
    In all seriousness, is this MacT beta version or are we calling this 1.0?

Lowe 13.0? (sigh)

139. icecastles says:

jonrmcleod: I think the moral of the story is don’t hire Vancouver Canucks: Tambellini, Quinn, Renney.

We’ll never get Luongo with that kind of talk.

FPB94:

Sure. Agreed. Lazar 2nd round, huh? Well, he’s late first round on some lists so maybe that happens, too.

141. DBO says:

BlueNoteNorth,

No, it’s MacT Vista

142. dessert1111 says:

Really good article LT, you’ve been hitting some homers lately!

143. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You guys are wandering again with this draft list.

You need to think the tank. You need to visualize the team falling into a position where they won’t be able to wander to a favorite son.

Think bigger terrible.

144. DBO says:

I expect that they would trade up like they did for Nash if Lazar slipped to mid 20′s. If they got both Monahan and Lazar it would address some org depth for sure. Maybe they parley one of the previous 2nd rd picks (Pitlick, Hamilton, etc.) paired with our 2nd to trade up into 24 or so. Like last year when they reached for their need of Lucic hopefuls, I expect they’ll reach somehwat if they can grab Lazar late.

145. PunjabiOil says:

I think the goal should be to win soon. You have known quality players – there is no sense delaying the bullets in the window of opportunity, like Tambellini did this year.

Injuries, trade demands, rapid production decline, who knows?

Tomorrow isn’t promised to no one.

146. FPB94 says:

Just to put Mantha’s 50 goal performance in perspective, here are the guys who scored 50 on draft year in the last 10 years:

Tavares, Stamkos, Skinner, Kane, Crosby.

Pretty exclusive and nice company. Of course a lot of top pickswere on pace to but were derailed because of injury or WJC (Taylor Hall, Yakupov etc)

The way they’ve been picking in the 2nd or 3rd round i wouldn’t mind them shipped for a pick in the 20′s.

But then again they could probably fetch a young 3rd liner with that now.

147. Racki says:

Tambellini was about as patient as any GM can get.. the constant evaluator.. pretty sure that didn’t work out so well. I’m all fine trying to get a bit more “bold”. It’s not like Bold means trading Taylor Hall for spare parts.

148. PunjabiOil says:

Mantha is interesting . 6″3, 200 lbs, can score 50.

The only caution on it he’s a September 16 birthday. So he was 18 all year. His 17 year old season – last year, was somewhat average (only 21 goals, 0.8 PPG).

Still, likely a decent chance he makes an impact in the NHL.

149. Racki says:

Thinking outside of forwards, the Oil could also take Darnell Nurse. BIG Left D. He’s ranked 6th, by ISS, and that definitely is no stretch now that the tank is back on in Oil Town. My preference would be for a big C if there is an obvious enough talent out there. At this rate, we might even slide into Barkov territory.

150. Racki says:

Oilers hockey, eh? Passionately talking about the draft in April…

I have no doubt they’re in love with that massive Russian who crunches people nightly, he’s in the OHL, Zadorov? 6.05, 230? I wouldn’t take him but bet the Oilers are all over him as they were McIlrath (which was the style at the time).

152. regwald says:

Further to the Howson comments above, I remember at the time he was released to become GM for Columbus, Lowe said he would be missed because he was their cap and contract guy. So, bringing in a second view on that front is not a bad thing especially given the recent history of the front office bungling we have seen.

153. mc79hockey says:

Not too often that I know things, but I know that MacT was out scouting Nurse during the OHL playoffs. Seems the Oilers are at least interested enough to send MacT to look.

154. Ribs says:

What are the chances the first gets “boldly” traded away before draft day?

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Zadorov

mc79hockey: Nurse

Big D huh? that would be a switch from the C trend we keep harping on (Barkov, Monahan, Lazar)

Looking back at this list:

looks like de la Rose has fallen off the planet and Nichushkin has emerged. both in a relatively short span of time.

156. bendelson says:

Stevezie: I’m both surprised and somewhat uneasy to learn you are out ‘deep in the forest’ thinking about Bendelson. My sphere of influence appears to have expanded well beyond anything I had previously considered…

157. jb says:

Who does Mac T target first? You know he sees the value in a Christ Pronger on the back-end. It’ll be a better player than Streit almost guaranteed.

158. maudite says:

I know I shouldn’t bother reading comment sections in a lot of places but:

Is there anyway I could send a letter to Horcoff to thank him for being a respectable pro through all of this. All over the place the name Horcoff is rolled in with the greatest of sins this management team ever produced. It’s messed up and in current market it looks even worse (similar to the drury/gomez contracts there is some context behind it). The sin of the Horc contract was extending him based on a career year a year prior to his contract expiring. Then removing the remaining veteran centers leaving him to wallow in the defensive zone. His issues were compounded through all this by injuries (and returning too many times too soon to the lineup after receiving injuries). While there are issues with his contract, they are far down the list of epic fails that have occurred through this 7 year death march. Even with that contract, this team could have been a competitive squad with average to above average guidance. Sorry for babbling but it’s insane how much malice this guy gets. In a twisted way, i think booing him in the home opener and all that has befallen us to once again be half hoping for a lottery finish is kind of karmic.

159. Kris11 says:

I’m of mixed emotions.

Obviously, Lowe should’ve gone, too. He didn’t. And they picked MacT, which is more nepotism. Bleh.

That said, MacT is clearly smart. And I can’t see any reason to think he’ll be a worse GM than anyone else. Indeed, it’s kind of hard to find evidence that any person X will be a good GM, unless they have been unimpeachably excellent for the past 5-7 years in the current cap environment, which would make them someone else’s GM.

I want to see MacT’s first set of moves before I evaluate. If he flushes Jones, Petrell, Belanger, the useless tough guys, finds at least one excellent top 4 Dman, for not too great a price, and maybe adds or trades a little more, I’ll hail him as a reasonably good GM, regardless of the nepotism.

On the other hand, if he can’t get most of that done, then its likely that either Lowe has been and still is the de facto GM all along, and they still have bad management, or MacT is as bad a GM as Tambellini, and will be hard to fire. (Though if he gets fired, Lowe, IMO, will finally have to go, too.)

So, wait and see. We should know how happy to be by the second or third day after UFA’s are being signed in the offseason.

160. Kris11 says:

I would very, very much contemplate trading the first as part of a package for a player closer to his prime, preferably a Dman. The return on that deal could solve a whole lot of problems in the lineup.

161. bendelson says:

Kris11,

Maybe you qualify that first line with: Unless Barkov or Monahan are still on the board…?

162. Rebilled says:

Tambo would be the one who took the fall,

The Oilers got Yak, Nuge, and Hall.

Whether or not it was Tambo’s idea or Lowe’s, it was the idea, along with Katz.

I’m guessing this will be the biggest summer in Oilers history. I blindly hope these guys have an actual plan.

163. delooper says:

Ducey: The Ring Dynasty!

oh god, starring Kevin Lowe as Smeagol / Gollum. The Dynasty of the Rings trilogy!!

my precious 6 stanley cup rings. Precious!

164. delooper says:

Today’s news feels a little bit like realizing you’re a boy, about to hit puberty… living on the Bountiful compound in Creston BC. Either you’re going to get really really lucky… or something that’s more likely is you’re going to be tossed out on your ass and you’ll have no skills to deal with life in the big ugly outside world.

This is the fate of Oilers fans.

165. mike.c33 says:

Hey guys,

I am new to advanced stats and curious to know what you guys think of Alex Pietrangelo.

In 34 games with the Blues this year, Pietrangelo has an average TOI of 18:22, a Corsi Rel QoC of 1.25, and an Off Zone Start of 52%. He is 5-15-20 -2 and a RFA at the end of the season.

Like I said, I am new to advanced stats but those numbers sound decent to me.

How much would he reasonably be expected to make next year? What would the Oilers give up if they offer sheeted him? Would the Blues accept the Oilers 2014 first round pick in a trade? What if Teubert (13th overall, 2008) was sweetener? What about 2014 first round pick, Teubert, and Hamilton (48th overall, 2010)? Hockey’s Future says the Blues weaknesses are their bottom six forwards and defense. Teubert has draft pedigree and Hamilton projects to be a bottom sixer. Perhaps the Blues want a roster player instead of futures.

2014 first overall + Teubert and/or Hamilton = Pietrangelo

Most importantly does Pietrangelo have a place with the Oilers?

166. mike.c33 says:

The Oilers don’t have an NHL defenceman to spare. It would probably take Klefbom to get Pietrangelo out of St. Louis.

Klefbom + 2014 1st round pick = Pietrangelo

Toss in Anaheim’s 2013 2nd round pick as sweetener?

xxx – Pietrangelo
    N. Schultz – Justin Schultz
    Smid – Petry
    Potter

1) St. Louis is not cap-constrained at all. Any offer sheet for Pieterangelo will be matched. Ditto Shattenkirk. Armstrong and Hitchcock did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and knock themselves silly.

2) If Anthony Mantha had been born one day earlier, he would have been in the draft last year. How does his 22 goals last year in the Q look compared to Lazar’s 38 in the low-scoring WHL, or Horvat’s 30 in the OHL. Take an average of 22+50/2 =36, to account for birthdate disparity, and Mantha scores goals in the Q at about the same rate a Lazar and Horvat.

3) There are defensemen in the range the Oilers are picking. They have to take a look.

4) As for Lowe, one has to judge a person on the entire arc of their life. The guy you saw yesterday is the same guy who had to go into the corners with John Tonelli and battle Tim Kerr. Yeah…he said some things really badly, but these guys are still willing to battle all comers. They don’t have to. It is a nice gig, true. But the risk/reward for management in Edmonton is now extremely binary for Lowe and MacT. They will be heros or goats. One sort of has to admire their guts for not riding off into the sunset. I am willing to give them their shot at redemption. Those two held the franchise together with bailer twine from 2000-2006. They lost their footing a bit after game 7, and went a bit crazy. I grant that it is easier for me. I have 40 years of Oiler fandom, from the very beginning, with Bill Hunter and Rusty Patenaude and Al Hamilton. I have 1990 and 2006. I have all of the Eskimos success. Both MacT and Lowe are in the frying pan, and know they are in the frying pan, and they decided to stay in the frying pan. I can live with that.

168. russ99 says:

I’m a big fan of MacT as a player and a coach, but I feel that the fans got hoodwinked.

No search, no candidates, no weighing of possibilities, just kick MacT downstairs and Howson upstairs.

Kind of a reshuffling the deck chairs rather than any real change.

If MacT/Howson can somehow gut the pro scouting department and replace them with better scouts both in old-school valuation and advanced stats, then maybe I’ll be more excited. But to me that seems like yet another old-boy club that can’t be touched.

169. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: pro scouting department

This is one of the items on the periphery of the “boys on the bus” that concern me. Semenko (clearly a old timey oiler) and Gare (been there long enough to be one) have been in their roles for a long time now and have shown very poor results.

The other item is the a. coaches.

Even if we accept the change at the top as real change… I will be watching this Summer to see whether MacT finds a way to bring real change to these positions.

That would be a strong signal that the boys on the bus isn’t more important than winning.

170. Romulus Apotheosis says:

interesting.

Looks like there is a chance Theo Peckham plays tonite. We’ll see at morning skate.

171. Hammers says:

I would still give #1 + Gags + Hamilton for Shea Webber . Prefer to give the two #2′s plus Gags & Hartski for Webber . A REAL #1 “D” is what we need .

172. FPB94 says:

If Mantha would have been born one day earlier he would have played the year before in the Q’. (And one year of hockey more in general).

Even with your calculation he’s still light years ahead of Lazar because he’s big and shown he can actually pass a puck.

173. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Woodguy,

I really enjoy reading your comments, there insightful and you seem to think outside the normal thought process and that’s refreshing to read.

You already know what I think about Grabovski, but this is where I get confused.

If Groabovski is not good enough to play on the Leafs now that there in the playoffs what does that tell you about the player?

This scares the living shit out of me because I think the Oilers have been thinking along the same lines.

I also for the life of me cant understand how you think that Lander, a player not good enough to play on a team that has been in last place or a lottery position all of a sudden he can be your number 2 center?

This is the kind of thinking that has plagued the Oilers, to small, not enough skill, et al.

It’s like waiting for Paajarvi to start playing aggressive, it’s not going to happen, he’s butter soft.

Waiting for Lander to develop, he might, get to the 4th line, but then again he’s small, not overly aggressive and certainly won’t beat teams with skill, he has none.

Like the Oilers thinking that Hartikinen will somehow grow into a power forward? Well, you have to have some skill, you have to actually be powerful, and you actually have to hit, fight, push back and be tough to play against.

The same reason why the Oilers are getting the shit kicked out of them with or without these players in the lineup, this team has to many, Hartikinens, Paajarvi’s,Landers,Gagners,Belangers,Petrell’s.

Then your suggestion is to bring in more? This doesn’t make sense to me, am I missing something?

174. Wolfpack says:

I have defended this organization time and again, but after Lowe’s performance yesterday, I am done. Lowe’s arrogance will continue to be the downfall of this group. We are supposed to ignore his atrocious track record as an executive because he was a good player playing on great teams over two decades ago. Wayne Gretzky was the best player ever – I guess he should have been a winning coach too. Lowe reminded me a bit of Charlie Sheen yesterday. WINNING!

The thing that concerns me with the MacTavish promotion is his lack of experience. This team has one of the best young cores in the league. They need to be surrounded by the right supporting cast – something that cost Tambellini his job. Would an experienced GM who has been down that path before and learned from experience not have been a better choice than another boy on the bus?

175. Bag of Pucks says:

For someone who’s been a fan of this team since their final season in the WHA, I have to say that yesterday’s performance by Kevin Lowe ranks as the single most embarrassing event I’ve witnessed in association with this team since the Gretzky sale. And when a team’s history includes such luminaries as Peter Pocklington, Les Alexander, Shayne Corson, Jason Arnott and Sheldon Souray, that’s saying a lot.

Younger fans probably don’t realize it, and it is exceedingly hard to believe now, but there was a time was Kevin Lowe was regarded as an extremely classy person in these parts. He was charitable, bilingual, diplomatic, friendly, selfless, a team first player and a consummate professional.

He may in fact be all those things still, but you would be hard pressed to identify any of those qualities in the man yesterday.

If I reconstruct the events of the last few days, it’s not hard to visualize an angry and petty man, stung by the boos of the crowd as Saturday’s game against Calgary ended. How else do you explain firing a loyal employee on a Sunday afternoon followed by a hastily arranged press conference that was as immature as it was ignominious?

Based on his comments yesterday, it is also easy to visualize a bitter man who’s virtually seethed for the last 5 years after Katz kicked him upstairs, “I never should’ve left….etc” waiting for the moment when Tambellini finally wore out his welcome, so he could dash back to the rescue with proof to this owner that in point of fact, ‘the old Oiler way is the only way’

MacT may prove to be a prescient hire, though it’s difficult to arrive at the conclusion given the absolute absence of proper process to arrive at that decision. One thing is clear however, a Cinderella run riding a hot goaltender that leaves you ‘one period away from winning the Stanley Cup’ is not evidence of competent management. Icing a consistently competitive team is, particularly when those efforts are conducted with decorum, professionalism, and respect for the entirety of the team’s fanbase. It is on all these fronts that Kevin Lowe has failed miserably.

The toughest part of cheering for this team going forward is the knowledge that should they luck into winning another Cup, we’ll likely have to witness Lowe hoisting the Cup alongside his middle finger to all of his critics. The mind boggles at the size of the ego such an event would create.

176. art vandelay says:

Klefbom + 2014 1st round pick = Pietrangelo
    Next time you’re at the dentist, ask him to ligthen up on the NO.

177. Koho says: