BREAK OUT THE CHAINSAW

MacT: “We had a lot of guys that the best they were going to be in any given game was a non-factor.” Wow. Double wow. Who are these guys? Let’s ask shot differential:

corsirelforwards

I’ve lined it up via CorsiRel but straight Corsi doesn’t change much (except for Smithson, whose NAS number skews the graph) and if you’re looking for names to attach to the MacT quote you can put the following on the big board: Ben Eager, Eric Belanger, Lennart Petrell, Mike Brown. The Steve Tambellini All-Star band, with poor Chris VandeVelde called up so ‘no decision Steve’ could mull over calling up Mark Arcobello.

corsireldefense

Smid-Petry, a rookie in Schultz the younger, an aging second pairing guy in Schultz the elder, a 5-6D in Fistric, a minor leaguer (outperforming several) in Potter, and ‘no I in team’ were under water for long stretches most nights.

That’s one crazy shot differential chart.

81 Responses to "BREAK OUT THE CHAINSAW"

1. Showerhead says:

Every single D-pair plays a rank too high vs a championship quality team.

x-x
    Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz

Looks like a killer crew even if your x-x is very similar to Smid/Petry. Give J Schultz all sorts of PP time and N Schultz all sorts of PK time if necessary but you need to push the existing core down the roster.

As for Belanger, Petrell, Eager, etc – they’re too much of a black hole for me to have an idea what to do with. The idea of them being replaced / upgraded fills me with glee!

Was a bit surprised re: MacT and goaltending though – Dubnyk has covered the bet, no?

2. regwald says:

I don’t get the Dubnyk hate. First full year as a starter he covers his bet and more. Yes, a few bad nights, some bad goals, but they could do so much worse.

The only other item I can think of as a criticism is his laid back attitude may be perceived as not caring or something. I believe he can be an above average starter. In fact, I would take him over Howard in Detroit and he just got himself a nice contract.

I don’t think they’re going to flush Dubnyk, but feel he can be better. His numbers suggest he’s average to maybe a hair above average, and for the money that’s a good deal. No hate, just wanting to be better in every area.

All day. ALL day.

4. sliderule says:

Belanger made some nasty comments about Winnipeg when the talk was Coyotes ere going to peg.

When out of the blue the oil signed him I thought why would we sign a guy that off his comments probably thinks the same of Edmonton.

He never wanted to be here and played accordingly.

5. Ryan says:

Yes, Smid-Petry is not a top pairing in the NHL (except on the Oilers).

This means that we either need:

a) Shea Webber to push everyone down
    b) Another solid 3/4 pairing to lighten the load on Smid-Petry

We know Shea Webber isn’t being airlifted in, so that leaves us in need of 2 x top 4 d.

6. DBO says:

So LT what is your pie in the sky off season then?
    - Bernier for a 1b goalie?
    - Offer sheet that gets us a McDonough or Shattenkirk?
    - Something smaller like a Gordon signed for 4C?
    - Hockey trade like a Hemsky for Stafford?
    - the infamous 3 for 1 trade that gets us a Weber?
    - A real UFA like Clarkson signing for reasonable dollars?

7. B S says:

Just reposting from the last thread so it doesn’t get missed:

godot10: You don’t rebuild to make the playoffs once.You rebuild to make the playoffs 20 years in a row.

That’s organizational vs team rebuild. Organizationally they need to continue acquiring assets (picks, prospects, players), then improving them (i.e. strong development) while avoiding considerable losses on outgoing assets. Basically as Detroit does it. The team on the other hand has been rebuilding for 3 seasons now and are supposed to be a playoff team. Adding rookies (especially those who have never played pro before) represents considerable dedication of resources (including coaches and soft ice time) to develop and generally hinders the teams overall performance. This was fine during the first few “rebuild” years for the team, now, with the expectation of playoffs, it’s a hinderance.

I’m not saying don’t draft a 7th overall, I’m just saying that you should draft the BPA with the expectation that he won’t see the NHL for 2 seasons, or until there is sufficient injuries to warrant a call-up, such as he is the best center available with Horc, Gagner, and your 4th down and two AHLers already called up. The players you draft now should be developed into high level players for the future, but you should have sufficient depth to keep them off the roster under normal circumstances, essentially making them depth players.

8. Ryan says:

sliderule,

To be fair, I think it was more a case of the triangle being a spent force. Whitney didn’t want to be here, but he still tried to post some numbers. A guy in the twilight of his career who’s posting zero offensive numbers is either doing it because a) he can’t put up points b) he doesn’t want to play in the NHL anymore.. not because he doesn’t want to be in Edmonton.

9. DBO says:

I doubt pie in the sky can happen, but do think the smart simple moves will help. Not all are perfect, but they add what MacT said he wanted, and are in the realm of realistic.
    - trade a pick/prospect for Boyle from the Rangers
    - Move Eager for Malone from Tampa (we add the kind of player we need, and Tampa saves a ton of money and they need to with their cap issues, and no way ownership buys out Lacavalier cause they don’t have the money, so Malone is the logical choice)
    - Sign Streit on a two year deal
    - Move Hemsky for Stafford.
    - re-sign Gagner for $4.5 mill for 5 years

Smid-Shultz
    Shultz-White
    Potter

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

DBO:
    So LT what is your pie in the sky off season then?
    - Bernier for a 1b goalie?
    - Offer sheet that gets us a McDonough or Shattenkirk?
    - Something smaller like a Gordon signed for 4C?
    - Hockey trade like a Hemsky for Stafford?
    - the infamous 3 for 1 trade that gets us a Weber?
    - A real UFA like Clarkson signing for reasonable dollars?

I haven’t really put names to it but would be pleased if they:

1. Added a forward who can play a two way game. I know the talk isof a PF and that’s fine, just want to make sure he can play hockey. If he’s a top 9 option that’s fine too, but looks like MacT is aiming higher. Examples might be Glencross, Horton, Stalberg, Bickell, Raffi.
    2. Help on D. I keep mentioning Streit, but maybe it’s Tyutin or Shattenkirk or Del Zotto at the high end or maybe they trade for Weber (I don’t think that’s wise).
    3. Another center (veteran).

11. Melman says:

Lowetide: I haven’t really put names to it but would be pleased if they:

3. Another center (veteran).

The more I look at Streit, the more I’d rather see them go another direction. We’re always lamenting grabbing a veteran on the wrong side of his peak. Streit seems to be a better version of Potter, but is he a complete defenseman who can handle top pairing minutes in his own end? Maybe he is. I’d rather see them go after, Kulikov, Tyutin, one of the boys from NY or even Jay-Bo.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Melman: The more I look at Streit, the more I’d rather see them go another direction.We’re always lamenting grabbing a veteran on the wrong side of his peak.Streit seems to be a better version of Potter, but is he a complete defenseman who can handle top pairing minutes in his own end?Maybe he is. I’d rather see them go after, Kulikov, Tyutin, one of the boys from NY or even Jay-Bo.

I’m right there with you.

However, the fellows you mention are long term solutions. I believe Streit has to be a two year max. option as a stop gap to either one of the in-house prospects going supernova or some one else coming around.

That is, if they can’t get someone else, Streit would be a good stop-gap.

I just hope — if it’s him — MacT doesn’t give him the ST special, $$ and term.

13. fuzzy muppet says:

Watching the Blues vs. Kings and realizing that this team is LIGHT Years away compared to those two.

Both teams are unbelievably physical and fast.

Mac T has a lot of work ahead

14. rickithebear says:

Showerhead:
    x-x
    Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz

all GA /GM rates are based on 17min.

the 2 schultz give up .95Goals/game @ even
    facing the 45 easiest comp in the league.
    The league average is .65GA/gm for 17 min of even.

We gave up 27G in 48 games 6min/GM of PK
    roughly .56GA/GM

Smid and petry were .63GA/gm
    Fistric and potter were .39GA/gm

Can we see were the problem is?

I can!

It is .95GA/gm gilbert all over again.

15. Derek says:

fuzzy muppet,

Wierd. Edmonton doesn’t look that far behind the Chicago team I just watched one period of.

16. BlacqueJacque says:

fuzzy muppet:

Both teams are unbelievably physical and fast.

Mac T has a lot of work ahead

The Blues are so good. I don’t know why they were struggling all year until they got JBo, but man, what a trade.

BlacqueJacque: The Blues are so good.I don’t know why they were struggling all year until they got JBo, but man, what a trade.

Agreed. Picked them to win the Stanley.

18. jake70 says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Picked them to win the Stanley.

Ah man, I just cleaned up from hosting a playoff pool gathering….I haven’t turned the TV on yet, I picked 4 Kings out of 10 players. You better be wrong. Hehe.

19. Derek says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Picked them to win the Stanley.

You must know something about a deal between Jobu and Elliott/Halak.

20. Gerta Rauss says:

I don’t think Streit is the answer either if we’re pencilling him in on the first pair. I’d like to move Schultz the elder for the first pair Dman then sign Streit for 3rd pair.

(Schultz trade)- Petry
    Smid- Schultz Jr
    Streit- x

I’d like to pick up another RH Dman to push Jr down to that 3rd pairing as well, but that’s a lot to ask in 1 summer. I’d prefer a 1 year deal for Streit, 2 max. If he wants 3 years as rumoured, pass.

21. Captain Happy says:

Their goaltending was pretty iffy early on.

If they get some performance from Elliot they have to be the favourite.

Just a nasty team to play against.

22. BlacqueJacque says:

For a big guy – especially among teenagers – Mitch Moroz sure ends up on his knees, on his back, or his belly a lot. If he’s a MBS choice, no wonder MacT has some questions about “later round picks”.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Sportsnet should be embarrassed.

Local cable crew delivers better broadcast of junior hockey game than professional sports broadcaster does of top-tier professional league team.

Also, Shaw’s standard-def cameras are about as good as Sportsnet’s high-def cameras.

24. hags9k says:

Before I start bringing up names of the 1LD, and 2LWPF I’d like us to go after, I am going to watch these playoffs because surely those players are playing in these games.

25. BlacqueJacque says:

Kinda easy to see why the Oilers are high on Lazar.

Too bad he plays left wing.

26. unca miltie says:

fuzzy muppet:

where you watching kings/blues.. can’t find game on tv

27. Gerta Rauss says:

Who scored in the Oil Kings game..? I flipped to LA/STL for a second and missed it…

28. BlacqueJacque says:

St Croix. Big, fat, third rebound from the slot.

29. BlacqueJacque says:

unca miltie,

CBC. Clearly working off an NBC/Versus feed (based on camera quality) and then overlaying their own stuff on top.

30. Gerta Rauss says:

unca miltie,

I’m not sure about your post, but if you’re looking for the LA game it’s on CBC

31. Gerta Rauss says:

BlacqueJacque,

thank you…and now I’ve got blue screen on Shaw

edit-game is back on

32. supernova says:

DBO:
    - trade a pick/prospect for Boyle from the Rangers
    - Sign Streit on a two year deal
    - Move Hemsky for Stafford.
    - re-sign Gagner for $4.5 mill for 5 years

Smid-Shultz
    Shultz-White
    Potter

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

DBO,

Hopefully you take this constructively because I like that you are proposing moves and attempting to solve the problem, but I have to say I disagree with almost all of your moves that it would actually be improvement. To me it looks more like shuffling of players.

Here is my opinion on your moves.

Malone- don’t want him as he is a slower, injury riddled skater on the downside of a Power forward’s career

These guys are tough to find, they generally mature later, get injured more, and nosedive quickly.

The NHL equivelant to the NFL running back. You realistically have half the career length of another player.

Stafford- maybe a new scene re-invigorates him but he is a bigger perimeter player, we need guys that drive the net. He is a big softie in my opinion

Streit- cant seem him leaving a up and coming team to one that is a Step behind unless we over pay on term or money, or both

As opposed to me just knocking yours and not proposing my own here is mine;

Hemsky and 7th to Columbus for Fedor Tyutin and 14th
    Sign Bickel to a two year 2.5 million contract
    Sign Stalberg to a 2 year 4.5 million contract
    Sign Horton guessing at 3 yrs 15 million range
    Trade for clutter buck- minny is up against the cap and he could be had for picks/ prospects
    Lines would be

Hall-Gagner-yak
    Horton-Nuge-Ebs
    Clutter buck-Horcoff-Stalberg
    Bickel-lander-brown
    Extras Smyth & smithson type replacement

Fedor-j. Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    N.schultz-Potter

Fistric

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

Go ahead and hack it apart but all are conceivable moves with the trade back with Columbus take Gauthier or Lazar ( sounds like they are In love with him)

33. murphy says:

Why no trade for weber? Do you really think a eberle, n schultz, musil, and next years first would put this team that far behind? Throw in a omark or hamilton if need be.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

murphy,

The same reason nobody will trade for Luongo, except double: the contract.

Now, with him earning $12-$14m per year until my ball hair goes white and my ears sprout hairs that grow like amazonian weeds, and with three first overall picks + eberle + gagner + schultz on the roster… how do you figure we’ll afford all that?

Weber’s a dick. He broke his team with that contract. Nashville will never win a Cup with him there – they won’t be competitive in time – and they’ll never be able to trade him because nobody will touch that contract with a ten foot pole.

35. unca miltie says:

thanks, guys..only hd cbc chanel i get is toronto, did not think to look at non hd chanel..got it now

36. supernova says:

BlacqueJacque,

Haha,

Love some of your items in there.

I think certain teams will touch that contract just don’t think we can for the reasons you mentioned.

Philly would we know that, I am guessing at least 10 other teams would as well.

Don’t think we could though.

37. dessert1111 says:

I love Lazar at 15, but not top ten. Suspect the Oilers feel similar. Would rather they got an extra pick 12-15 by trading the 2 2nd rounders and the rights to someone like Peckham or Omark (remember him?), but bet they move down instead (or, perhaps, stay pat).

So much talent in the first round this year, it seems, I want lots of picks!

38. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve got no problem with the Weber contract(it’s not my money) it’s the assets we’d have to give up to get him that would hobble this team right now(1 step forward, 2 steps back)

That, and I don’t think Nashville trades him-they’ve come this far with the front loaded salary, why would they move him?

39. Ryan says:

supernova,

I’m going to go all “Steve Smith” on you here.

$2.5 m is a lot of money to pay Stu Bickel. Or did you mean Bryan Bickell? :p

Okay, back to normal me…

I hadn’t noticed till now that Clutterbuck’s an RFA. That raises a few possibilities.

I don’t like Lander as the 4c. His Staples metrics are worse than VV.

I don’t know about Hall-Gagner-Yak

I agree with your concerns about Malone, but Horton is also an injury risk going forward.

Overall, this roster is going to need a retool of the 2,3,4 lines from this past season. I don’t know enough about players league wide (abilities / contract value / etc) to guess how this will shape up.

40. supernova says:

dessert1111,

Agree with Lazar,

My thoughts were in trading back to get the D they need.

Other teams will want to move up and we might be able to get extreme value by willing to move 5 to 7 picks back.

Phoenix, Winnipeg and Columbus are all good trade partners for assets the oilers have.

41. supernova says:

Ryan,

Bickel in Chicago 2.5 into 2 years, so 1.25 a year. Someone will pay that range if not more.

Agree Horton has concerns but when with a limited amount of these guys we have to take a risk on one of them, he is younger and has more upside than most.

Here is the list I see as attainable;

Horton
    Clowe
    Clarkson
    Possibly Lucic

They all have warts

Lucic would take a lot of assets and has a huge contract
    Clowe looks like he has bottomed out and might be a Chris Neil from now on
    Clarkson will be a huge payday if not resigned

Lander- don’t love him either but my gut tells me they stick with him, would prefer he stays In OKC and is called up on injury

42. slopitch says:

Another line that the Oilers have nothing like is

Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg

Big, grinding line that dominates possession, wears out d and pins the opponent in their own zone.

43. Rondo says:

Steven Santini would be an excellent pick for the Oilers in round 2, look like a good D man

44. striatic says:

murphy: Do you really think a eberle, n schultz, musil, and next years first would put this team that far behind?

why on earth would Nashville make that trade?

45. Hockeyman 99 says:

supernova,

Can’t see Minnesota trading Clutterbuck as the will buy out Heatly and their cap problems are solved.

46. Derek says:

striatic: why on earth would Nashville make that trade?

4 Assets dude. :)

47. bookje says:

Anyone notice how Belanger and Beneager are almost anagrams?

48. bookje says:

Regarding Dubnyk

I get the sense that they feel like he is coasting a bit. Maybe MacT saw him out at a bar at 10pm on a night before a game or something. I think its a bit like MPS in that they are trying to motivate him to be better than ‘good enough’.

49. bookje says:

rickithebear: all GA /GM rates are based on 17min.

the 2 schultz give up .95Goals/game @ even
    facing the 45 easiest comp in the league.
    The leagueaverage is .65GA/gm for 17 min of even.

We gave up 27G in 48 games 6min/GM of PK
    roughly .56GA/GM

Smid and petry were .63GA/gm
    Fistric and potter were .39GA/gm

Can we see were the problem is?

I can!

It is .95GA/gm gilbert all over again.

Yes, but the rookie will get better.

50. supernova says:

Hockeyman 99,

Heatley is injured.

Injured players can’t be bought out.

Unless you think he is going to get “cleared” before July 1 that isn’t a option

Making clutter buck as a RFA a possibility

51. BlacqueJacque says:

This stupid closing your hand on the puck rule is retarded.

Not to cheer for the Hitmen, but for a player to sweep the puck with the palm of his hand – without closing it or cover the puck – to be called for closing his hand on the puck/delay of game is just fucking retarded.

Also, Corbett needs to finish his checks. Just embarrassed by Virtanen.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

BTW bench Samuelsson. 4 penalties.

And Brossoit is going to be an insane starter in the NHL.

Stupid Calgary, drafting him in the 6th.

53. bendelson says:

Wow.

Quick move the puck!

Nevermind.

54. geowal says:

Oil Kings take it!

Since you ask from time to time LT, with the wrap-up of the oilers we’ll run out of locker room quotes to analyze so I’d be in favour of some oil-king coverage for the WHL final and (hopefully) memorial cup.

55. rickithebear says:

bookje: Yes, but the rookie will get better.

It is the sum of the pair
    not the players me thinks.

post 05-06 lockout free flowing perimeter and zone entry.
    Pre 05-06 lockout in front of the net.
    J. Schultz 6’2′ 185 5 more years of physical maturing
    N.schultz 6’1″ 200lb is the physical D man?
    These are not pre 05-06 Dmen for in front of the net.

Fistric 6’2″ 233lb
    and
    Smid 6’3″ 226lb Are.

Smid-Petry
    Fistric-J.Schultz 3rd’s 13 min a night.
    Roll J. schultz another 4 min in Ozone draws.

56. supernova says:

Looks like the guys I want to sign from Chicago just connected on a goal.

Contracts that Chicago won’t have the cap space for them.

Big, strong and fast. Learning how to win. Just what we need. 3rd and 4 th liners.

57. murphy says:

striatic,

Do you think they will get more than a top line sniper, what could be a top ten pick, a #4 d man and a promising d prospect? What else do you think it would take with webers contract?

58. fifthcartel says:

Bickell and Stalberg are going to get payed this summer.

59. supernova says:

fifthcartel,

By the oilers!

60. BlacqueJacque says:

fifthcartel:
    Bickell and Stalberg are going to get payed this summer.

Yeah, they’re going to get that “won the Cup” overpay. Pass.

61. OrangeandBlue says:

Of all the suggestions I’ve been hearing the last few days about not having time to wait for the 1st rounder to develop all I can think is how long can we wait for gagner to develop into a more effective center? Rnh is two years in now and he’s already miles ahead in terms of being a good two way center…don’t get me wrong I like gagner on the team. I hope they find a good spot for him but I can’t see much improvement with him occupying one of the center positions…maybe under a different system he could do better?

62. supernova says:

BlacqueJacque,

Depends on the overpay. Not such a crime to pay for players who have won, on a team devoid of success. Term matters more than dollars on a overpay.

Oilers have to overpay any way it’s all relative.

63. SK Oiler Fan says:

I’d say MacTs first target with that comment would be Belanger since he was supposed to play a MacT style. He atarted out ok, but his last half was horrid. He was signed as a 3rd or 4th line C who could play physical, chip in offensively, win faceoffs, and PK. He was satisfactory in half of those and horrid at the rest. He’s not that old and has a history of filling all of the above roles. Regardless of how he fit into the Oilers system he shut it down here. It was comical, he could spend a whole shift doing absolutely nothing but weaving around avoiding the puck or contact. He wasn’t mtaking big obvious mistakes, but was just not bringing anything but faceoffs for most shifts.

64. art vandelay says:

I thought Oscar Klefbom was The Answer To All the Losing.
    Or was that last week?

65. B S says:

art vandelay,

This week the answer is Monohan.

66. DBO says:

supernova,
    all good.

I like your list better but don’t think it can happen. I still believe we are not a spot people come to unless it is an overpay or a trade. I can’t see us getting anyone but Streit (cause of Ralph) unless we deal.

I agree on Malone being hurt, but still believe we are more likely to get that kind of player then being able to sign Clowe or Horton. Same reason I see them dealing for Stafford. Only way we get a guy with size, and I expect them to use Hemsky. Don’t want it, just expect it.

67. DeadmanWaking says:

B S:
    That’s organizational vs team rebuild. Organizationally they need to continue acquiring assets (picks, prospects, players), then improving them (i.e. strong development) while avoiding considerable losses on outgoing assets. Basically as Detroit does it. The team on the other hand has been rebuilding for 3 seasons now and are supposed to be a playoff team. Adding rookies (especially those who have never played pro before) represents considerable dedication of resources (including coaches and soft ice time) to develop and generally hinders the teams overall performance. This was fine during the first few “rebuild” years for the team, now, with the expectation of playoffs, it’s a hindrance.

All true. At the same time, I can’t recall the last time it was also pointed out that an organization in rebuild mode can’t be expected to accomplish a team rebuild in an ideal time frame. Detroit is able to make good decisions about seasoning prospects in the minors because their organization has the right number of bodies available at every stage of their pipeline.

People keen to criticize management are quick to compare the decisions we’re making on the path to becoming more like Detroit to the decisions Detroit makes having already become Detroit, as if Detroit never had a rough patch getting up on their water skis.

Detroit wasn’t Detroit becoming Detroit.

This is why I think our window is a camel with two humps. Only a smoothly functioning organization can properly pull off a one hump camel.

Our second hump is the wave of defensive prospects tracking behind our wonderkind cluster. Organizationally, we’re far better off leaving that second bubble alone. In the short term, that ties MacT’s hands in his mad scramble as the last-minute substitute casting director for Eight is Enough.

68. LP says:

BlacqueJacque:

…And Brossoit is going to be an insane starter in the NHL.

Stupid Calgary, drafting him in the 6th.

Could the Oilers trade for L. Brossoit out of Calgary?

Would be nice to have for our goalie depth chart.

69. Puckberger says:

supernova,

Please….the names of Bickell and Stalberg haven beaten like a drum by Ol Bob Stauffer so its no revelation you want them, and If i remember correctly Ben Eager once scored a big goal for Chicago in a Stanley CuP run…………..

But hey Ill take Bick or Stal over any of the trash on the oil

70. Puckberger says:

If last years 8th and Sutter Plus ….. got you Jordan Staal , what would Gagne and this years 7th fetch the Oil?

71. Puckberger says:

My Target would be Oliver Ekman Larsson , would look great growing with Klefbom and Shultz, Obviously would cost a ton though

72. Its a Trap says:

Puckberger:

That’s the one I’m preaching too. I think it gets us Handzul and something else. Maybe even opens up a discussion for Yandle. Who needs offence at center and is doing some form of rebuild or retool and would give a bit of extra value to that 7th pick? Phoenix, buffalo, and Nashville would be my prime suspects. Handzul, Yandle, Foligno, Ott, Wilson, Legwand,Klein, Gaustad. I think fans wanting to trade that pick are in the minority, but I’m definitely one of them. Trade the pick, trade Gags, and package some of our b grade d prospects. At minimum. 8 new faces aren’t coming via UFA.

73. Puckberger says:

Its a Trap,
    Like Mckenzie said on TSN, the oilers need someone to come in now to join this young core, rather than another high end prospect, I am totally on board with moving this pick !!

What about Bogosian or Bufflin out of Winn ( butchered his name , I dont know if im as crazy about Yandle, this team still lacks alot of toughness in all areas

74. Its a Trap says:

Puckberger,

Bfug has a no trade and verdicts out on what Bogosian’s value is depending on what they sign him for. Same holds true for Sam as well though. I don’t rate Bogosian as a top pairing regardless which is what MacT really needs to shoot for the moon for.

75. Puckberger says:

Its a Trap,

True that, Bogos only 22 tho @ 6 ft 3 , 215 ,perfect age for this rebuild, at least these discussions make more sense than Mathesons call of getting Shea Weber…..not going to happen

76. supernova says:

Puckberger,

Doesn’t take a genius to look at capgeek and then look for player(s) that are producing well In 3rd and 4th line roles.

Suggest your own then hotshot?

Easy to be the critic, come up with a solution. At least I am attempting

By the way, I believe Stalberg has been out there by many people. Including several on this site for months.

77. Showerhead says:

rickithebear: Shower

Comparing qualcomp across the league is pretty sketchy business. This has been demonstrated a few times. On the Oilers, those 4 D actually fall into a very similar range with Fistric and Potter actually bookending the two Schultz’s. Justin started hot and then turned a little bit into a black hole (as demonstrated by J Willis) which is worth noting, but the single biggest difference in their #’s is glaring:

PDO.

The two Schultz’s have the absolute worst PDO on the team while Fistric’s is the highest by miles. It’s not about muscle, it’s about luck. I like Fistric fine as a 6/7 but if you’re looking at GA and deciding Fistric/Potter is a better 2nd pairing than the 2 Schultz’s you are not seeing enough context imo.

78. 719 says:

I came up with an idea, not sure if it would work. I also posted this at ON.

We trade our 7th and Eric Belanger to Tampa Bay for their 3rd and Vinny Lecavalier. Hear me out before you kabosh this.

This is done with the understanding the Oilers will use a compliance buyout on Vinny. Vinny is then free to sign with TB for a much friendlier cap hit, and TB will out of cap hell. The Lightning, from everything I have read, cannot afford to compliance buyout Vinny, and even if they could would not retain him as he would be a UFA who could sign with any team but TB.

We help TB out, the Oilers draft Barkov 3rd overall, TB still gets a good player at 7, and they are out of cap hell, with Vinny still on their roster.

79. Ribs says:

2021-22: $2,142,857
    2022-23: $2,142,857
    2023-24: $2,142,857
    2024-25: $2,142,857
    2025-26: $2,142,857
    2026-27: $2,142,857

I’ll make you an appointment with Mr. Katz…But I’m not sure he’ll take you….

80. stevezie says:

719,

I don’t think you’re crazy, but I think it wold take a helluva sales pitch to convince Katz to drop that kind of money for Mckinnon (who I think we would take over Barkov) and another helluva a sales pitch to convince the Bolts that their finances are so dire they need to give away McKinnon (or Druin or eve Jones) for Monahan. I think the latter is probably the easier sell.

Dare to dream.

2021-22: $2,142,857
    2022-23: $2,142,857
    2023-24: $2,142,857
    2024-25: $2,142,857
    2025-26: $2,142,857
    2026-27: $2,142,857

I’ll make you an appointment with Mr. Katz…But I’m not sure he’ll take you….

In real dollars to buy out Lecavlier is 1.95 million over 12 years, because his contract was so front loaded. (35 million left on the contract x 2/3 over double length on the contract). Yes that is a lot of money I agree, but weren’t we supposed to be a high spending team? It would basically cost us 21 million to move up 4 spots in the draft (when you subtract the belanger contract) and doesn’t cost us anything on the cap.