CANUCKS AT OILERS G48 (12-13) 27.4.13

Entering tonight’s game, Taylor Hall is tied for 9th in points in the entire NHL. He’s also 7th in the league in 5×5/60, worthy of the kind of attention John Tavares is enjoying this season. Tavares is tied for 12th in scoring, tied for 49th in 5×5/60. I’m not saying the world should shun Tavares and exalt Hall, but some credit is clearly due.

hall 5x5

The last time the Oilers drafted this kind of player I was in my 20′s and full of piss and vinegar. I’m in my 50′s now, and I promise not to take this fellow for granted. As long as Taylor Hall plays in an Oiler uniform, there will be at least one reason to watch Oilers hockey. He’s the real thing.

George Jones died yesterday. I used to watch him on television as a kid, and he was on the radio a lot too (my Dad loved country music, the more fiddle the better) and George Jones sang it his way. This was my favorite song, it seemed to have a happier ending than the other songs (country song writers kill off everything–the love, the marriage, the house, the booze, the guitar, the land, the money, the dog, the tractor, everyone gets it–especially the train) on the radio and television. The stories about him are legion and he was truly an original. RIP.

hemsky4

Ales Hemsky took the usual verbal from the Oiler fanbase and some media members this season, with cries of no heart etc. Coach Ralph Krueger told us this week that there was a lot more than attitude in play:

• Krueger: “He’s had a crack (bone) and won’t be a candidate for the worlds (Czech) team.” Story is here.

In a hockey mad city like Edmonton, Hemsky’s skills over a decade have been a wonder but there are issues. There is an entire wing of the fanbase who view him as a lollygagger who can’t be bothered to make an effort in practice or speak to the media when called upon. I was in conversation awhile with a hockey guy I respect and said “you know, the Oilers are going to trade that guy and he’s going to score 80 points and make the deal look foolish.” The response: you Hemsky fans always say that, he’s never scored 80 here and that’s what matters.

Sure. Except Hemsky HAS delivered over the years. Let’s look at his point-per-game totals by year:

• Age 19: .508
  • Age 20: .479
  • Age 21: lockout
  • Age 22: .951 (Stanley run season)
  • Age 23: .828
  • Age 24: .959
  • Age 25: .917
  • Age 26: 1.000
  • Age 27: .894
  • Age 28: .522
  • Age 29: .526

The last two seasons reflect role (Eberle’s presence and now Yakupov’s) and that is reflected in TOI:

• 2007-08: 14:31EV; 3:52 PP
  • 2008-09: 14:18EV; 4:14 PP
  • 2009-10: 14:08EV; 3:45 PP
  • 2010-11: 14:16EV; 3:13 PP
  • 2011-12: 15:25EV; 2:08 PP
  • 2012-13: 13:00EV; 2:38 PP

If the Oilers run a RW depth chart of Eberle-Yakupov-Hemsky next season, I’d bet the EV and PP numbers either remain in this area or are reduced. So, we’re basically one year away from Hemsky taking less money to stay or leaving town. Whenever a new GM comes in there’s a roster reset, a change in philosophy that can change perception of a player (we may be seeing this with Dubnyk currently, as a for instance).

I don’t think there’s many in hockey who know Ales Hemsky better than MacT. I doubt he trades 83 for 50 cents on the dollar, and that means coach Krueger is going to have two solid pieces for his bottom 6F (Horcoff-Hemsky) this fall. Or at least I think he will.

peckham7

The same article from Matty has Peckham getting mono, a fitting end to a horrible season for the young man (talk about a country song: “What made Gary Bettman famous, made a loser out of me!”). I can’t imagine he returns to the Oilers, but wish him the best in his new town.

Bob McKenzie talked about the possibility of the Oilers trading their pick at the draft this year:

• “What the Edmonton Oilers really don’t need is another 18-year-old blue chipper. They need some help right now and using that first round pick as currency could get them that help right now … (or) … They may use the pick, but they may try and parlay it into something immediate.”

I don’t see that happening, but a trade down is possible. If the Oilers end up drafting 7th (it’ll be 1st, 6th or 7th) it could mean that all of MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm (the center’s) are off the board when they pick. We know from rumblings deep beneath the earth’s surface that Edmonton covets Curtis Lazar–who was ranked 25th on the mid-season McKenzie. Could the Oilers deal from from 7th to say 17th and get Lazar? Would that get them a useful piece?

1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Sasha Barkov
  5. Sean Monahan
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Anthony Mantha

After those players, Finn D Ristolainen and OHL defender Nurse are possibles but my guess is that the Oilers have Lazar in their top 10.

• Evan Daum: “Word on the street – or press box in this case – is the Edmonton Oilers are extremely high on draft prospect Curtis Lazar. The whispers of “wouldn’t he look good on the Oilers’ third line?” have gotten louder in recent weeks.”

The RE series will begin this coming week, we’ll have draft and review stuff for the next month and a half. I’ve chosen Bruce Springsteen as the artist for RE this spring, if that’s an issue please speak now and suggest an alternative. I’ve always loved this song–if you’ve ever felt like an outcast then Wild Bill’s Circus should feel a little like home.

A lot of people are pissed about last night’s win, but for me it feels right. The Oilers should be turning the corner, and 30th, 30th, 29th, 24th is at least some progress. And I do think that the hockey Gods were probably grumbling about the Oilers suckitude and discussing plans of action. Last night’s W appeased the Gods, and it was fun to watch Hall and Yak City confound and humiliate.

More please.

328 Responses to "CANUCKS AT OILERS G48 (12-13) 27.4.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. eidy says:

It really was a bad time to go 30% shooting percentage. On the other hand, if the goal was to pick high in the draft, a 2 w 9 loss record since the trade deadline is more than one could reasonably ask for. I wanted them to finish in the conversation for Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm once the season came off the rails. I would like Monahan, but admit to knowing less about Lindholm. Seems like Monahan did pretty well on a crap team and didn’t get playoffs, these players usually fall a bit in the final rankings

As for Lazar, I just can’t see him going that high. For what was expected of him and his mediocre at best playoffs, I think it would be a reach pick in the top 10. A number of the scouting services have him as late first round. I would rather see if he is there late in the round and move up rather than move back.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I’ve chosen Bruce Springsteen as the artist for RE this spring, if that’s an issue please speak now”

yes. and loudly so we can all see you. you are a terrible person.

your character is mitigated from disaster only insofar as you inspire a profound sadness in everyone around you, your breeding is of questionable origin, you are likely to contribute to the ugliness of your environment and your manner of dietary ingestion is the least charming imaginable. I hate you.

3. eidy says:

As for what I would like to see today….

Florida beat Tampa Bay, Columbus beat Nashville, Carolina manage a point vs Pittsburgh, and Colorado beat Minnesota

Bottom 5:
    1. Florida- Jones
    2. Tampa- MacKinnon- Keep him out of our division
    3. Nashville- Drouin
    4. Colorada
    5. Calgary
    6. Edmonton- hopfully that leaves us whatever of Barkov, Lindholm, or Monahan

It would also leave clutter buck (spits) out of the playoffs. ass

If Florida gets Jones, maybe something around gagner and Kulikov would work. I admire Samwise for his offensive production, but would prefer Kulikov and think he fillls a need much more. Also, Florida is shy on offence and apparently Kulikov’s name is out there.

Finally, If you would have told me Hall would be a top 10 scorer, Yakupov would be tied for the lead in rookie scoring, and Tambellini would be fired, I would have considered 2012-13 a success. Now if only he had taken the 6 ring circus with him.

And for tonight, Vancouver 6 Edmoton 5. Yakupov with 3 points, Hall with 3 points.

that would be a pretty nice little Saturday

4. Bad Seed says:

I was hoping we’d finish in the top 5 so there wouldn’t be this discussion about Lazar again. It’s pretty hard to get excited about drafting a potential third liner. And we all know how it worked out dropping down in the first round before…
    Let this be the year we actually move up in the draft & get one of these highly touted centres. Maybe MacT will be that man of action who will do it instead of sitting on his hands like Dithers.

5. Rondo says:

Oilers could also be picking # 8

6. wheatnoil says:

Rondo:
    Oilerscould also be picking # 8

The Oilers could also be picking #1.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m still pretty ticked about last night… what a time to have variance gift us a win….

Barring winning the lottery (so assuming we pick 6 or 7) I can see an out that still gets us Monahan.

Assuming the top 4 are locked in. We just need someone to chance it on either the Russian and one of the giant Ds, or two of the giant Ds.

Last year a lot of the first round got eaten up by people chasing D out of order (Reinhart being the best example). Nurse looks like this year’s candidate for that (he’s higher than Monahan on Central Scouting’s list.

8. stevezie says:

While I have mixed feelings on The Boss he sure does have his moments, and if you haven’t already heard the song “Long Time Comin’” it’ll be the perfect tune for the Oil making the playoffs.

Right now the perfect tune is “Someday”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyi6mFZv9SI

9. Hammers says:

Would sooner McT trades the pick than trading down fo Lazar . The Pick plus say N.Schultz or a OKL “D” for a top 3-4 or the pick & Gags for a 1-2 “D” .Agree with BM get the players you need now . We have the young guns and the young “D” are 2 years away so if we really want a shot in the next few years this draft pick is redundant .

10. Rondo says:

wheatnoil,

I like that better

11. wheatnoil says:

There’s a lot of interesting talent and the draft rankings past the top 3 are all over the place. Some rankings have Monahan dropping down to a late top 10, Zadarov is all over the place, Gauthier is all over the place, Nichushkin has the Curse of the Russian and so could go anywhere from 2nd to 20th… I think we have to wait to see what McKenzie puts forth. Until Bob puts out his draft rankings, everyone after the top 3 is open to some sort of swing. The Oilers will grab one of Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Monahan, Nurse, Zadarov, Lazar, Pulock, Shinkaruk… these are excellent selections who likely won’t impact the roster next year, but might be able to crack the roster around the time that Yakupov’s entry level deal is done and the Oilers start needing some cheaper entry level deals to fill the roster.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d love the Oilers to draft top 3 and grab MacKinnon or at #4 and grab Barkov, but picking 6-8th is far from a disaster and may fit nicely as a second push of young players as the current crop of young’uns all hit their second contracts. There are other ways to get a 2-way centre or a top 4 D and with the cap coming down next year, some interesting players may shake loose. We’ll have to see what the Silver Fox can do.

12. Rondo says:

Curtis Lazar another small center.

13. eidy says:

I couldn’t disagree more with McKenzie on needs. We have a need for better players overall, but our centre depth is atrocious.

If we could walk away with Lindholm/Monahan, There are also some good players into the 2nd round and someone could fall out of the first round. someone like Compher/Klimchuk/Hurley could be the BPA at the time.

I don’t know where Lazar will fall, but he sped up the draft boards with an excellent playoffs last year. I suspect that he will continue his slide as he isn’t posting too much for crooked numbers yet in these playoffs.

I would be interested to hear how he has been playing from Bruce or anyone else watching the Oil Kings regularly

14. carefreephil says:

I think we need to be looking at a major swap with one of the teams on top. We need a franchise D and/or an excellent two way C (Seth and Nate).

I suggest we look at those teams on top and also see what kind of veteran talent we could pry out of their hands in a major trade (e.g brewer?).

If we can do a swap to get up to the 1 or 2 spot(or both) that includes some veteran help I think we should then consider the risk of including Eberle. Think of it as redistributing an untouchable to another position. We have a lot of depth on RW and Yak is probably the better of the two in the long run. I’d rather redistribute our untouchable depth to C or D.

So include 7th, Ebs, and prospect for 1 or 2 and some veteran depth on either D or C depending on which spot you’re choosing.

I’d go as far to say we should throw everything and the kitchen sink at picking up both top picks to truly finish the drafting portion of the rebuild.

I think of these assets should/could be used to get there – 2013 pick (1 and 2), 2014 pick (1 and 2), Ebs, gags, hemsky, prv, klefbom, petry

Now I’m not saying we should trade all of these assets but that we could sacrifice some of them for the sake of an upgrade in position (Seth>Oscar) and as long as we can find some veteran depth along the way, either in a package with the swap or other trades/free agency.

I know it’s crazy and bold but I think it could work if you included some of the assets I listed.

15. cabbiesmacker says:

Springsteen is perfect Oiler’s background music.

“Same sad story, that’s a fact”

“One Step Up and two steps back”

16. PerryK says:

Why is there no conversation regarding Nicushkin? From what I saw in the WJC, he is a stud!

I know that he recently signed a 2 year contract that leaves him a 1 year out if signed by an NHL team. We can afford to wait for his arrival. After all we waited for Klefbom! Thoughts?

17. smellyglove says:

LT, I also brought up the possibility of trading back for Lazar in order to pick up a roster player. Seems to me a 7 pick is a good spot to pick up a ‘dropper’ like a Hamilton or a Forsberg.

Sports club stats gives the Oilers a 80% chance of picking 7th and a 20% chance of picking 8th – what a change in fortunes! In this edition of the lottery do teams still have a cap on moving up 5 spaces?

Let’s talk RE. I thought the Oil finish 10 to 12 in the conference, looks like they may just do that. Perhaps a month of polishing my pitchfork may have been a poor use of time. Still look at how many bottom 5 teams from last year are in the POs!

Look at the NW, only one team in the playoffs .

18. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t know if the Oilers choked last night or if I should be happy that they fulfilled my minimum hope for the season – finishing ahead of the flames.

19. HBomb says:

Ok, so now that 3rd or 4th overall pick is out-of-play, I can cheer tonight for a win without guilt. Which is good, because if there is one team that I despise losing to, it is the Nucks (I’d use a worse term for them here, but I know Lowetide doesn’t like said word).

That, and really…snagging a Monahan type at 7th and having said prospect develop for a couple years isn’t a bad thing? We need veterans at the NHL level and a long-term “replenishment” of the prospect pool at the A, AA, and AAA levels (to borrow a baseball terminology). My idea of a successful first round is Monahan or one of Nurse/Zadorov at 8th, and then trade into the back-half of the round to grab Lazar.

20. Ducey says:

Can we please stop with the gnashing of teeth over Lazar? We have had the Hemsky trade, the drafting of Murray over Yak, the non signing of Smid and Gernat. All of it was unwarranted.

The quote from Daum was from February. A lot of hockey has been played since then. There is a new GM and a new VP who have been scouting all over the planet. Trying to guess what MacT will do is impossible. I could see Tambo sitting in the press box and watching Oil Kings games being ok with taking Lazar, but MacT is going to look at 6′ and less than a point per game and be smarter than that.

Plus Central Scouting has Lazar at 20 among North American skaters, meaning he could even slip into the second round. I don’t know if Central Scouting has any credibility anymore but they also have Nurse ahead of Monahan.

Throw in Feaster and his penchant for being smarter than everyone else, and guessing what the Oilers will have on the table is pretty tough.

21. HBomb says:

And all I’ll say regarding Springsteen and the Oilers is this – Kevin Lowe needs to take “Glory Days” off single-song repeat on his iPod, because he’s stuck in the past. Six rings!

22. WeridAl says:

Carolina needs a big winger or D and will take either Nichuskin or Nurse
    Nashville will take Barkov, maybe Lindholm
    The Oilers should be able to get Monahan.

LT how do you figure that Drouin or Lindholm would be a option for the Oilers if they had a chance to pick either 2.

23. hockeyguy10 says:

Scott Oake @ScottOake 15m
    Final Aft Hrs of the season tonight (calm yourself). Oiler GM Craig MacTavish is our guest. I imagine you have questions. #HockeyNight

here is your chance guys!!

24. Rondo says:

What makes people think Seth Jones will be good next year in the NHL, he may develop naturally and take 3-4 yrs before he becomes an impact player. There are other D-men in this draft that Oilers could draft at the 6 or 7 spot that will develop in 3-4 yrs..

We always think there are players available for trade. But you look at the history lately not much ever happens. The trade deadline how many players were going to be traded never really worked out. Gagner Hemsky have been traded 10 times over in people’s heads but never happens. You know why they are not worth much, if you want a good young proven D man you will need to trade a Eberle or Yakupov . Your 1st rd pick will not be enough.

hockeyguy10:
    Scott Oake @ScottOake15m
    View details ·

Oh my gentle lord. I’ll have to be sober.

26. dawgtoy says:

I agree with the Mckenzie quote. Our pick has tremendous value this season. Cash strapped team needing to cut costs won’t want salary coming back in any deal. Therefore it’s picks and prospects. Perhaps a GM needing to cut salary can be convinced to do the mythical 3 for 1, but realistically if a prized player is being sought, our first is the real bargaining chip. The first will have tremendous value before the draft. My belief is that will be the bold move MacT speaks of.

27. RexLibris says:

I was hoping for another draft windfall this year as well. That being said, finishing higher at least provides some legitimacy to what the Oilers are doing to outside observers.

With regards to prospects falling in the draft to 7th or 8th, the Feaster/Weisbrod/Button Flames draft ahead of Edmonton. Need I say more?

WeridAl:
    Carolina needs a big winger or D and will take either Nichuskin or Nurse
    Nashville will take Barkov, maybe Lindholm
    Calgary is the kicker, who do they take, they do need D and if Nurse is still around they’ll take him.The Oilers should be able to get Monahan.

29. hockeyguy10 says:

lol I ask tougher questions if I am a little above the “fill to here” line

30. jonrmcleod says:

LT, when you speculate that the Oilers might trade down and select Lazar, are you thinking they will acquire an additional pick (or picks) or an actual NHL player? I did a quick search of draft day deals, and the most recent trade of a top-10 pick involving an actual NHLer was the 2003 trade between the Panthers and Penguins.

To the Penguins: #1 pick (Fleury), #73 pick (Carcillo).
    To the Panthers: #3 pick (Horton), #55 pick (S. Meyer), Mikael Samuelsson.

Samuelsson, by the way, was injured for most of the following season with the Panthers. And then signed in as a FA in Europe after that. Of course, he eventually signed with Detroit.

So I think it would be difficult for the Oilers to trade down 10 spots and get anything in return that would make it worthwhile.

31. Bushed says:

If MacT and co. reach for Lazar when there are much better players still available, it will mean the organization still suffers from draft day home town fantasy-itis and/or poor player evaluation.

You know, the kind that got us players like Bonsignore, the Swiss Miss, and other “we’re smarter than the rest of the teams” players. Then we have the home town boy experiments that went awry (Lupul, Souray, etc), and the MacT Toby Peterson crush, the “Marty Reasoner is like Joe Sakic” thinking, and so on.

Don’t get me wrong, I shed no tears when Tambo left, but there’s still plenty of reasons to be very afraid come draft day. Please prove my fears were unfounded, MacT…

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One slight benefit of the win last night…

If Carolina loses tonight, we’ll know by the start of the Oiler game tonight. With the separation in points between 7th and 8th spot… we can heartily cheer for a win without fear of dropping draft position.

that’s something.

Also… we should be sending Feaster prospect bios from High Schools the world over hoping he goes extreme walk about this year and gifts us Monahan.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

Picking 6/7 does seem about right-a sliver of progress.

I know a lot of folks will be upset with the 2 points last night but taking a look at the draft over the last 3 years the following players were picked 7th overall:
    -Matt Dumba
    -Mark Schiefele
    -Jeff Skinner

Sean Couterier went 8th, Cam Fowler 11th and Grigerenko went 12th last year. There will be a nice player at 7, and perhaps even Monahan falls to that spot.

Looking forward to the Springstein series-I’ve never been a huge fan but at my age(late 40′s) it’s impossible to NOT be familiar with a large chunk of his work. I’ve always thought Bruce Cockburn
    would be a nice fit-with songs like The Trouble with Normal and Rumours of Glory the series writes itself..:)

34. hockeyguy10 says:

bh @hockeyguy_10 39s
    @ScottOake can you ask McT if they pick 6-8 is this pick in play in a trade?

Don’t know which questions will be asked/answered but the more we ask the better chance we have for some insight.

35. justDOit says:

Springsteen. There was a time when that name drew my ire as no other could, although I’m not entirely sure why. It may have had something to do with the media ramming ‘Born in the USA’ down my throat, relentlessly, but that alone shouldn’t consume my feelings the way it did. I know that his nickname has never endeared him to me, but that shouldn’t matter either, unless he coined it himself.

But if you dig through his discography, there are some wonderful songs and some great production. This quote from him regarding his album ‘Born to Run’ is telling about his vision and talent:

“Springsteen has said that he wanted “Born to Run” to sound like “Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan, produced by Spector.”

That the album took 14 months to record, and forced Springsteen to change producers mid-stream to achieve his ‘vision’, is very telling. It’s one thing to build a masterpiece like that, but another to set out to do so and then doggedly stay with it and hit it out of the park.

Good choice LT. I look forward to the music almost as much as the articles, and hope that you see fit to include one of my favorite adaptations of a Springsteen song: ‘Born to Add’, by none other than Sesame Street. They did a brilliant job of that one (especially the Clarence Clemmons character).

36. Cutbackboom says:

Wonderful to see numbers backing up Kadri’s status as one of the top 3 players in the league. With the Buds back in the playoffs as well, I will likely have to mute/disregard all Canadian based media for the next month or so.

37. Gret99zky says:

Next up, If the Oilers trade Shawn Horcoff he is going to Captain a team to the Western Conference Championship.

38. leadfarmer says:

The win yesterday in the long scheme of things was probably not a good thing. But there is still someone good they can get with their pick. If the russian falls that would be perfect. High draft pick they can let develop in russia and then have him on an entry level contract from age 20-23. This team cant handle another rookie in its line up.

39. FastOil says:

The win defines MacT’s direction for him. I could see the top 3 forwards in the NHL next year (meaning possibly helpful by year 2-3) but the rest are far less likely to be solid that soon. They still need to take a centre – they have been pretty good with BPA first round so hopefully that means they don’t take the C who projects to be 3rd line at best.

40. cc says:

jonrmcleod: I did a quick search of draft day deals, and the most recent trade of a top-10 pick involving an actual NHLer was the 2003 trade between the Panthers and Penguins.

Jon,

What about last years deal between Carolina and Pittsburgh?

41. speeds says:

Lowetide, from the article: If the Oilers end up drafting 7th (it’ll be 1st, 6th or 7th) it could mean that all of MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm (the center’s) are off the board when they pick.

EDM can still finish 6th or 7th last, so at this point they can either pick 1st, 6th, 7th, or 8th.

I don’t know if EDM would find a trade partner, and as always it makes sense to look at all trade options, but to me it makes more sense for EDM to see if any of the teams ahead of them are willing to trade down than for EDM themselves to move down. EDM has 2 seconds, if it takes one or both to secure a player they really want, a player they see as a core component, then I think you have to seriously look at that.

42. WeridAl says:

Lowetide: God yes. Drouin would be ANOTHER impact winger, and at that point you move Hall to C imo. Drouin is one of the few players in the draft I could see the Oilers keeping in the fall.

43. jonrmcleod says:

cc,

Carolina didn’t trade down. They traded their #8 pick, Sutter, and Dumoulin for Jordan Staal.

In my above comment I meant that there doesn’t seem to be many trades in which a team with a top-10 draft pick trades down in the first round and receives in the deal an actual NHL player. The 2003 trade was the most recent one that I could find. Perhaps I missed one.

WeridAl: So when all the experts outside of Edmonton, talk about the lack of size in the Oilers top 6 being their biggest problem, you wouldn’t have a problem with them drafting another small forward.

If the Oilers have Drouin on LW, they can move Hall to C with Nuge, and have RW’s Eberle and Yakupov. Gagner and Hemsky are also there, plus Paajarvi.

If size is a concern then add a quality player via trade. But you can’t pass on Drouin at 7.

45. Jordan says:

Lowetide: It looks like there’s a spot after the top 5 players in this draft, so the value may not be high. My guess for the Oilers board (top 7):

Seth Jones
    Nathan MacKinnon
    Jonathan Drouin
    Sasha Barkov
    Sean Monahan
    Elias Lindholm
    Anthony Mantha

Even if the raft went as you suggest it will LT, that would still leave Nikushkin available. Wouldn’t he be a better piece to pick up that Lazar? Also, although Yak considers himself a Muslim Tartar more than a Russian, would there be any value to taking a forward who speaks russian since we already have one?

RNH – HALL – EBS – CANADIANA
    NIKUSHKIN – HORCOV – YAKUPOV – MOTHERLAND
    MAGNUM – LANDER – HARTI – VIKINGVILLE

Edmonton could be like the UN of Hockey!

Seriously though – trading down this year would be the WORST thing this club could do for the draft this year.

WRT Hemsky…. how much of the fan base;s malaise is simply a reflection of morons like Spector who care more about getting a story than they do about facts? Who are so caught up in their own fame as a writer that they no longer care if what they report is really what’s going on? Seems like the narrative is the problem, and no ones even looking for the story anymore.

46. FastOil says:

Willis’ piece up at COH makes me want to weep. I suppose there’s a Lloyd Christmas chance Barkov slides or MacT finds his inner Burke at the draft.

47. justDOit says:

Bohologo,

You didn’t read the rest of my post, then? I had also hoped that by opening with ‘There was a time…’ would also be telling of my opinion.

Yes, that time was 1984, and I was not quite 20 years old. MTV was not cool with me, nor was top 40 music. ‘The Boss’ represented almost everything I hated about pop music and I, however wrongly, didn’t give his music enough attention to see what he was really about.

Today, I reserve those old feeling I used to own about ‘The Boss’ for another dual-word surnamed SOB – Clutter (spits) buck. Until MacT trades for him, that is.

Jordan: I don’t think the Oilers take Nichushkin. Contract rumors and his playing in RUS suggest he’s a different option than someone like Yakupov. Remember, this isn’t MY top 30 list, this is what I think the Oilers will do.

The last time they drafted a player from Russia was Bumagin. If the Oilers draft a Russian/eastern bloc guy it’ll be the Gernat/Pelss route imo, a player who is coming over to NA.

49. Ribs says:

Krueger also said defenceman Ryan Whitney, who may have played his final game as an Oiler on April 22 (Anaheim), has a leg injury. He didn’t make the trip here. “It’s in the calf area, above the ankle,” said Krueger, who only has six healthy blueliners for the last two games, in Minnesota and against the Vancouver Canucks Saturday.

Haha, that’s too funny.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Bohologo,

The problem with an introduction to Bruce via “Born in the USA” is IMO less the political battle it started than the quality vs. popularity problem it curried forth.

That’s probably the height of his popularity, but the apogee of his quality rides a steady wave from Ashbury through to Nebraska only to start a rapid decent with Born.

51. sliderule says:

That’s a nice piece by Willis on Barkov .

You could say the same thing about Linholm who by my rough calculations has an NHLe of 40 pts only one off Barkov.

The only difference is he has a Dec 94 birthdate which puts him older.

Pretty impressive resume .

Romulus Apotheosis: I was 5 in 84, but I remember finding that album less than Wham! but essentially part of the same milieu.

THAT is perfect.

53. speeds says:

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: That’s exactly it. The best intro to Bruce Springsteen was mine. I read about Born To Run in Rolling Stone, went with my Dad to Lloyminster (Lloyd Mall was new iirc) and bought it. Came home, put it on my Dual turntable, and watched the sunshine as the first notes of Thunder Road came out of the speaker.

THAT is perfect.

That’s a pretty sweet memory. “Born to Run” is one of those magic albums like Coltrane’s “love supreme” Zeppelin’s first, Floyd’s “Meddle” and DJ Shadow’s “Endtroducing” that can never be found very far from my turntable.

speeds: Will be interesting to see if his reported transfer to Dynamo will hurt or help his draft stock, if it has any impact at all.

Do we have a verbal from the player or his agent on his intentions…? i.e., has he ever said or done anything to suggest a Radulov situation, or some variation?

55. speeds says:

Wouldn’t bother me at all. I don’t think the size is a problem in and of itself, and even if it is, it’s not clear to me the “problem” won’t correct itself over the next couple years as the players physically mature.

56. justDOit says:

That is perfect. My early music interests came from my older brother, who listened to bands like The Who, April Wine, Supertramp and Three Dog Night. If only he had spun ‘Born to Run’, or ‘Greetings From Ashbury Pk’ when I was younger, I would have been able to take a better perspective on Springsteen when he went supernova in ’84. In fact, it wasn’t until the early days of the internet that I realized ‘Blinded by the Light’ wasn’t written by Manfred Mann.

57. FastOil says:

Let’s’ hope it helps and he is taken before the Oilers pick.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m wondering more and more about RK giving Schultz SR. the A…

I don’t want to read too much into this, RK passed over career Oilers playing higher on the depth chart who have brighter and probably longer Oiler futures (Petry and Smid)…

I really wonder if that move combined with the unforced Gilbert trade means that N. Schultz is basically penciled in for the foreseeable future and that makes me wonder how the make up of the D corps looks going forward.

Lowetide: Oh my gentle lord. I’ll have to be sober.

I would think opposite would be better.

PVR it too, just in case.

What if Nichuskin tells them in his interview “I want to play in the NHL. I’m coming over next year for whoever drafts me”

I think Nichuskin falling to the Oilers will be a real test for this organization.

I think he’ll fall to the Oilers too.

61. justDOit says:

Mark it on your calendars, ladies and gents: The NHL 2013 Draft Lottery, Monday, April 29, at 8:00 p.m. ET.

LT: If I may, for you pre-lotto article, suggest the following music be included:

“Lucky Ones”, Loverboy – “Get Lucky”

“Jump”, Loverboy – “Get Lucky”

“Take Me to the Top”, Loverboy – “Get Lucky”

Without ‘Serendipitous Steve’ at the helm, the Oil will need all the luck they can get.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’m wondering more and more about RK giving Schultz SR. the A…

63. striatic says:

so CSS has Shinkaruk as a C/LW ..

Elite prospects has him as a LW/RW ..

which is it?

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I think N.Shultz holding Klef’s hand on the 3rd pairing next year would be fine.

I’d like to see Klef on that OKC first line next year instead.

I don’t have a problem with N. Schultz as a 3rd… but his paycheck is a bit steep for that isn’t it?

If they go hunting for 2 NHL Ds… who else are they going to cut loose (in one way or another).

Of course, if they graduate Klefbom sight unseen… they only need one.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic:
    so CSS has Shinkaruk as a C/LW ..

Elite prospects has him as a LW/RW ..

which is it?

with his size, I don’t think it matters. I’m guessing the Oil have bought the koolaid stand will pass on undersized players…

though, LT’s no doubt right that they wouldn’t pass on Drouin.

66. RickDeckard says:

striatic,

Even if he does play C in junior I’ll bet he plays wing in the NHL, just like Skinner.

Woodguy,

Or even better “I want to play with Yakupov”.

67. Lois Lowe says:

I just had a frightening thought. If the Wild miss the playoffs this year, they likely fire Mike Yeo. And a good bet for a replacement has to be Lindy Ruff. That would be bad.

68. Hammers says:

Woodguy,

You think he did a good job with Justin ???? . I don’t see Nick in the future and as for Klefbom he should get about 40 games in OKl to start if not the whole season .

69. gogliano says:

speeds: Wouldn’t bother me at all.I don’t think the size is a problem in and of itself, and even if it is, it’s not clear to me the “problem” won’t correct itself over the next couple years as the players physically mature.

Yeah, I think Hall/Yakupov are top sixers able and willing to play with size and the latter will show it more in a couple years. Add in Paajarvi who is starting to grow into his large frame and I think any problem, if there is one, is a lot more of a kids problem than a size problem.

70. Cameron says:

@Lowetide

“Everything dies, baby, that’s a fact. Maybe everything that dies will some day come back…”

Given the lyrics, I gotta think that Bruce’s ‘Atlantic City’ (my favourite of his) is a shoe in at some point.

Hammers:
    Woodguy,

I think RK played J.Shultz way over his head this year.

He also leads the Oilers in TOI.

Baptism by Fire should be trademarked by the Oilers.

N.Shultz would be a great 3rd pairing partner for Klef. Keep him away from the 1st lines of the other team.

Need a very good 1LD to play with Petry on the top pair and J.Shultz can play 2nds with Smid.

Would prefer J.Shultz to play 3rds like Yandle and get the cherry PP minutes, but Oilers.

Would prefer Klef to start in OKC and get acclimated to the NA game and ice size, but Oilers.

72. Magnus says:

In my opinion, the Oilers need a high end center from this year’s draft. They’re not easy to get, and this probably represents the team’s best chance to find one without having to trade some major assets. I’m going to have to disagree with others in that while last night’s win was a great moral victory, it was damaging to the team’s future. Sure it was fun to watch and it feels good now. But to echo another poster’s sentiments, 2-5 years from now when we’re watching a player like Barkov live up to his potential, last night’s win will start to look pretty dumb. Even worse would be if the team was in a situation where a player like Barkov was the missing piece needed to win a cup.

Trading down would be a horrible move (it usually is). I hope MacTavish can put his money where his mouth is and be bold by trading to move up in the draft to grab a MacKinnon or Barkov. Right now what the team needs is a GM with the guts and determination to make that move. Both our 2nds, our 1st round pick next year, a roster player… they should all be in play to make that happen.

At this point I’d be really disappointed if the team just stood pat and picked a 2nd tier prospect. And trading the pick isn’t going to get you a MacKinnon/Barkov level player in return. You make the move, have your top 6 set for the future, then go about fixing the bottom lines and defense through trades and free agents.

Haven’t read it anywhere, but PDO just texted me:

Van benching hamhuis, edler, garrison, d sedin, burrows.

Hope Yak gets a hat trick and 2 assists and wins the Calder.

Hope Hall gets 5pts too.

74. Cameron says:

WeridAl,

The Flames need, and have needed, a franchise center in the worst possible way. There is exactly ZERO chance they prefer Nurse to either Lindholm or Monahan if that is the choice they are faced with.

Given they could be picking top 4, Flames nation is focussed with laser beam intensity on landing Barkov.

75. Gret99zky says:

They will trade Gagner and the first to move up one spot to pick a center. Of course they could have kept Gagner and had the center if they lost last night.

But, Oilers.

76. spoiler says:

Magnus:

Lol. Yes it is a lack of guts and determination that has been preventing NHL GMs everywhere from moving into the top 3 picks at the draft.

77. 719 says:

I would love it if the Oilers took Nichushkin (if he fell to them) with their pick. I just do not see it happening with Howson there and his noted disdain for Russians.

78. spoiler says:

Cameron:
    WeridAl,

Dead on.

79. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy:
    Haven’t read it anywhere, but PDO just texted me:

Van benching hamhuis, edler, garrison, d sedin, burrows.

Hope Yak gets a hat trick and 2 assists and wins the Calder.

Hope Hall gets 5pts too.

Considering Bieksa and Tanev are also out with injury,(although Bieksa MAY play tonight) the Oilers will be facing a defense missing it’s entire top 6.

80. FastOil says:

gogliano: Yeah, I think Hall/Yakupov are top sixers able and willing to play with size and the latter will show it more in a couple years.Add in Paajarvi who is starting to grow into his large frame and I think any problem, if there is one, is a lot more of a kids problem than a size problem.

Harti also plays physically. It seems the Oiler management may be looking for a more aggressive style of physicality. I think they want more players that take it to the other team (and can play hockey) as opposed to not shying away from contact.

I think Pajaarvi and Harti have it in them. The problem the team has are guys like Jones who give the appearance of it but really do nothing – marginal contact, never get the puck, don’t hold possession.

81. striatic says:

spoiler: Lol.Yes it is a lack of guts and determination that has been preventing NHL GMs everywhere from moving into the top 3 picks at the draft.

exactly. Edmonton simply does not have the assets to move up in the draft.

that said, i think moving the pick is a good idea. just that it is unlikely to advance the Oilers to the point where they get MacKinnon or Barkov.

If they can move up to 5th and pick Monahan, i think that’s a worthy play.

If they can move the pick and an asset to get a PROVEN second line Centre coming back, or a PROVEN 2nd pairing D, in their late 20s, then you have to consider that option as well.

but asking the GM to move up into MacKinnon or Barkov range is asking way too much.

82. spoiler says:

THAT is perfect.

Ahh the old Lloyd Mall…. First place I ever had a malted.

They would later steal the colour scheme for that Mall and use it to design the Vancouver Canucks 80s jerseys.

My parents absolutely loved the Hickory Farms store that was in there. I’m not sure they’re around any more, I haven’t seen one for awhile.

83. misfit says:

I hope it’s Nashville who ends up with the #4 pick because I want to see us trade up for Barkov. Yzerman is a product of the Detroit Redwings and the Wings never move on draft day. If it’s the Preds in the 4 spot with Barkov on the board, there’s at least a chance the Oilers can make a trade to move up. If it’s the Lighting or Flames, we’re not getting that pick. Don’t get me wrong, I could definitely see Feaster moving out of their pick, but I don’t see them trading it to us.

84. Magnus says:

To quote Burke on the Sedin moves:
    “…[it was] a big gamble at the time. I never worked so hard on a transaction in my life.” So yes, guts and determination. Say what you will about Burke, and I’m no fan, but he goes after what he wants, and often get it.

And we’re talking about moving up potentially as little as 3 places up, so I’m not sure why you would see it as laugh-worthy, let alone sarcasm-worthy.

85. spoiler says:

How did that gutsy Sedin move work out for Burke?

I find it sarcasm worthy because teams TRY to move up every single draft and don’t because the price is too high. The market is determining the lack of moves (or call it intelligence), not the lack of steel in a manager’s guts.

Derek Stepan just scored a nice shortie.

He’ll be close to 1pt/gm this year.

Drafted 51st (2nd round) in 2008

6’0 185lbs

Didn’t see NYR until 3rd year after his draft.

Given softer minutes the first 2 years in NHL and now showing that he can take on tougher comp at 22 years old.

Might make Richards redundant and NYR buy him out.

Wish Oilers could develop like that.

Everyone tends to pass judgement and give up on someone if they can’t play in the NHL at 20.

87. Bad Seed says:

Magnus: It’s exactly what Burke did to land both Sedins… and to land Chris Pronger. A lot of people questioned it, but it was the right move. Not many other GMs would have attempted the same, and only one went out and did it on 2 separate occasions. The Oilers have been talking about moving up for years. You think Tambo would have had the guts and taken the risk of trading let’s say a Hemsky/Gagner, this year’s 1st rounder and next year’s first to move up? Doubtful.

To quote Burke on the Sedin moves:

I agree. And who says we don’t have the assets to move up 3 or 4 spots? I’ll bet if we dangled our first and the two seconds, it would get it done. We’d probably blow the second rounders anyway. I say that if you think you can get your 1A centreman for the next 10 years in Barkov or McKinnon, then you do what it takes. It would be the shits if calgary ended up with Barkov. There’d be a lot of gnashing of teeth on this blog.

88. Troll says:

Lowetide, do you think you could find a slot in your RE rotation for Springsteen’s concert closer Suicide cover? Maybe for MAP?

89. vishcosity says:

In 1985?, while mouthing off about the mediocrity of Springsteen, buddy put Nebraska on the turntable. Stopped me in my tracks. I still remember the room.

If I’m MacT, which I’m not, I trade this pick, specifically on the floor of the draft. People are nuts, GM’s included, and everyone gets wrapped up in the spirit of the moment. There will never again be an opportunity like this summer, 29 guys are struggling with a dropping cap and an owner’s demands.

I would love to see the Oilers win tonight and put Vancity in a first round matchup with LA. As a player tonight that for me would be enough to bring my best.

Everyone left the house and the speakers just belted out “Roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair.” Awesome.

90. FastOil says:

misfit:
    I hope it’s Nashville who ends up with the #4 pick because I want to see us trade up for Barkov.Yzerman is a product of the Detroit Redwings and the Wings never move on draft day.If it’s the Preds in the 4 spot with Barkov on the board, there’s at least a chance the Oilers can make a trade to move up.If it’s the Lighting or Flames, we’re not getting that pick.Don’t get me wrong, I could definitely see Feaster moving out of their pick, but I don’t see them trading it to us.

The Preds need a scoring winger more than a centre with Forsberg there now. If they’re 4th maybe swapping picks and Hemsky gets it done? The Preds will have more cash available now that Weber’s front load is done.

Edit: If picks would do it I’d keep Hemsky.

91. Magnus says:

spoiler:
    How did that gutsy Sedin move work out for Burke?

I find it sarcasm worthy because teams TRY to move up every single draft and don’t because the price is too high.The market is determining the lack of moves (or call it intelligence), not the lack of steel in a manager’s guts.

And yet for all your disbelief, teams will still occasionally trade down their picks. I’m sure many teams try, but few have the assets available to get it done. Edmonton does have the assets. They have a 1st round pick in the 7/8 range, they have a good young player they could trade in Gagner, they have several good defense prospects, they have a 1st rounder next year, which could still be pretty good, and they have 2 second rounders. The team is well positioned to attempt to trade up in the draft.

Do you know what it took to land the 2nd overall pick and draft Chris Pronger? A 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. We don’t who which players other teams may like, and it’s not impossible a team picking early likes someone like Nichushkin, and is willing to trade down believing he’ll still be around. At this point, we have no idea what a team may be asking to trade down. But its certainly not impossible. Many posters on here were more than happy to trade down from 1st overall for as little as a 1st rounder and Luke Schenn.

92. Cameron says:

Interesting how similar the comments here are to those on the Flames Nation site. Everybody here and there would like to;

- Draft Barkov at center
    - Failing that, package picks to move up higher, presumably to take Barkov
    - Failing that, draft Lindholm or Monahan (so far the Flames fans have a slight preferrence for Lindholm)
    - Avoid wingers and D (except for Jones)
    - Nichuskin scares the crap out of everybody – in both good and bad ways.

The truth is that unless Carolina and Nashville win tonight the Flames won’t have a top 4 pick with which to take Barkov, and it is unlikely he slips outside the top 4.

I don’t see anybody moving up from 5-6-7-8 into the top 3, but if someone does, I have to believe it is the Flames as they have two other 1sts this year they can include in a package to move up.

93. vishcosity says:

Just read on Puck Daddy that Vanek may be hoping to move on. At 29 he’s hardly the ghost of Tom Joad.

I just want to say that I think Gagner and the 7 OV for the 4OV is terrible value. Just awful.

95. Islander says:

Bruce. Perfect. Some good suggestions already (Long Time Comin, Atlantic City, etc). The possibilities are endless (apologies if these are already suggested):

The Promised Land
    Roulette
    Further On (Up the Road)
    Countin’ on a Miracle
    Loose Ends

And the Eberle anthem:
    Iceman

96. RickDeckard says:

If all of Jones, Barkov, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, Monahan and Lindholm are gone when the Oilers come up to draft I want Ristolainen. The Oilers need a RHD over a LHD or a winger and Ristolainen has size, pro experience and a track record of improving offense. His NHLE is the lowest of the defensemen ranked in the top 14 but he is the only one playing pro right now.

I don’t think the Oilers should go all in on a player in the top 5. They have the elites, they need to keep a steady stream of cheap ECLs coming to support them. I’m interested in de la Rose and Subban with the seconds, although I expect the Oilers to take a goalie with one of them.

97. VanOil says:

I come here for the hockey talk but stay for music…

Sadly it sometimes becomes at memorial with great artists like great Georges passing

Missed this week was Chrissy Amphlet of the Divinyls passing http://youtu.be/wv-34w8kGPM

But how about we celibate a birth as well, Régine Chassagne just brought the newest member of Arcade Fire into the world. YouTube is my turntable. Sprawl II is close to the perfect music video http://youtu.be/awHWColYQ90

As for tonight. Hall and Yak on the same line ramming Eastern Bias down the CBCs throats with a combined 9 points. Would allow me to fade into the up coming Springsteen session nicely.

In the same vein, I’d like to add paying $100 for $50 is also bad.

99. Ribs says:

Woodguy: In the same vein, I’d like to add paying $100 for $50 is also bad.

What if the $50 had lots of poise? Or how about if when you hold it up to a light, William Lyon Mackenzie King’s eyes look like they’re glowing?

Bold move.

I’m really only worried about the draft if somebody higher in the standing wins the lottery and the Oilers pick 8th. One of the centres should be there at 7.

Carolina is going to pick a defensemen. So 2 D and Drouin go in the top six. If Carolina is picking 6th and the Oilers 7th, they are a logical candidate to throw a 2nd round pick at with the 7th to get the sixth, and guarentee getting one of the centres.

Ribs: What if the $50 had lots of poise? Or how about if when you hold it up to a light,William Lyon Mackenzie King’s eyes look like they’re glowing?

Bold move.

This is the kind of thing a mock draft should have. Deep, deep scouting.

godot10:
    I’m really only worried about the draft if somebody higher in the standing wins the lottery and the Oilers pick 8th.One of the centres should be there at 7.

Carolina is going to pick a defensemen. So 2 D and Drouin go in the top six.If Carolina is picking 6th and the Oilers 7th, they are a logical candidate to throw a 2nd round pick at with the 7th to get the sixth, and guarentee getting one of the centres.

Trading into the top five is really difficult to do.And there is no point paying the price it would take to do it, even if it were possible.Lindholm or Monahan will be there at 7.

I just wanted to say you’ve been knocking it ouit of the park in every thread in the last few weeks.

Excellent stuff sir.

103. striatic says:

Not only bad value but it doesn’t even solve the C depth problem. Just musical chairs.

RickDeckard:

that’s seven players. some team ahead of Edmonton would have to get incredibly lucky and win the lottery for that to come to pass.

104. striatic says:

godot10: Trading into the top five is really difficult to do. And there is no point paying the price it would take to do it, even if it were possible. Lindholm or Monahan will be there at 7.

it could also end up being Nichushkin.

105. striatic says:

[Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin]

i wonder who of that group Stu prefers.

106. gogliano says:

godot10:

I agree with all this.

I think there is also a chance Nichushkin goes in the top 6, especially if Jones is the only D to go before the Oilers pick. He might fall as well, but I think we’re too far out for anyone to know.

Regardless I think the Oil don’t need to try anything drastic. Lindholm or Monahan is a nice pickup, especially if you consider where this team was slotted three weeks ago.

Let’s just hope they don’t slide down to 8th.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic:
    [Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin]

i wonder who of that group Stu prefers.

I think you have to default to “size” and “Canadian” here.

Though, I’d be happy with any of these gents.

108. speeds says:

godot10:

I would be pretty surprised if CAR were to “reach” for a D

I don’t know if it’s true that CAR is hesitant in drafting D in the first round. Perhaps it was true but isn’t now, perhaps it never was. It is true that, since that was written, CAR has drafted a D in the first round, but it’s possible Murphy is more of an exception. That it’s not so much CAR flat out won’t take a D, but maybe that they prefer to avoid it if the D isn’t, in their opinion, overwhelmingly the BPA. Murphy is also a different kind of D, with a ton of offense – CAR may have felt that if they want that specific type of D the best way to get one is the draft if their perception is that high scoring D are overpriced both in the trade and UFA market, relative to other types of D.

109. nelson88 says:

In the “notes from Sochi” article over at HF there is a quote from Nichushkin saying that he hopes to be drafted by the Flyers or Rangers and plans on following the Taresenko path of playing two years in the KHL and coming directly to the NHL (no CHL or AHL).

From limited viewings I have loved Taresenko’s game and would happily see a; slightly larger, clone in Edmonton but I can’t see the Oilers making that pick at 7.

110. spoiler says:

Magnus: Gee, I don’t know. Maybe it landed him 2 franchise players to build a team around? Not sure exactly what point you’re trying to make with that comment.

What does any of this have to do with gutsiness? Trades, hopefully, are based on improving the team… so the required ability is intelligence, not guts.

111. spoiler says:

Lol… but hey it would be gutsy!

112. ashley says:

Well, there will be two months of that starting today so brace yourself. Sad thing is that other than possibly MacKinnon, perhaps none of these unproven talents will ever be better than Gagner.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I can sympathize though. We had a top 5 pick in our grasp, and it feels like it has been taken away. The answer is not trading away roster talent.

I much prefer the trade down idea. Gain a roster player, and draft Lazar or something similiar at 20. Now that would be a great first round.

113. speeds says:

Lowetide: This is the kind of thing a mock draft should have. Deep, deep scouting.

I’ll be the contrarian here, to an extent. No, I don’t think it sounds great in terms of value either but Gagner’s contract status is a big complicating factor. If Gagner won’t sign an extension at a reasonable price/term, and is going to go UFA in a year, I don’t hate the idea of moving him if it secures you what you perceive to be as a franchise player* – a clear step up on whoever you can get at 7, but that depends on what else you could get for him along with a number of other factors.

* That doesn’t mean I’d necessarily do that deal LT hypothesizes, only that I don’t think it’s as bad as some are hinting depending on some of the issues surrounding those involved in the deal.

114. Ryan says:

Sorry LT, but your blog doesn’t like Apple products. :)

I don’t know how many times I’ve been stupid enough to write a long comment with my iPhone or iPad only to get an error and kicked off the site.

So, I’m going to suggest a vote. There are some slick comment systems (all free WordPress plugins)

Option 1: Disqus comment system

Option 2: Intense debate

Option 3: LiveFyre

My vote would be for Livefyre, but I’d take any of the above if they work with iphones/ipads.

Livefyre’s great for those who like Youtube videos.

You can try demos by search the al gore.

115. LMHF#1 says:

So Jim Nill was indeed looking for a new gig. He’s headed to Dallas. We get MacTavish. Lovely.

116. FastOil says:

Detroit seems as though they want to retire their core players. While the sentiment is nice, it might put them in a tough spot for years as the Oilers were – fighting for eighth, not drafting high enough to get better.

They were pretty lucky drafting the team they had, it’s not likely to repeat the same way. I can see retiring Lidstrom and maybe Datsyuk, but trading some aging core could have restocked the cupboards.

Maybe Nill would be better than MacT, maybe not.

117. asiaoil says:

LMHF#1:

Lovely – we get a guy with almost zero mgmt experience that no one in the league would hire as GM (MacT is Asst GM material at best) and watch Nill go to Dallas. F’ing lovely – you made my day man. Oh well at least Larry, 6 rings Curly and Moe will provide a bit of comic relief when I’m not throwing things at the screen.

118. Rocknrolla says:

Wow Cherry just ripped Yakupov for kissing the oilers crest…not classy to celebrate in a meaningless game….WOW this guy is racist…said Kane and Toews were classy by not celebrating in a meaningless game!

The kid is going for the Calder! And kissed his own Candian shitty teams jersey! It doesn’t get better than that….too bad Maclean didn’t mention he leads all rookies in points and goals today….

Time for Cherry to hang em up I methinks….anyone else see that clip?

119. Rocknrolla says:

Ryan:
    Sorry LT, but your blog doesn’t like Apple products.

So, I’m going to suggest a vote.There are some slick comment systems (all free WordPress plugins)

Option 1:Disqus comment system

Option 2:Intense debate

Option 3:LiveFyre

Livefyre’s great for those who like Youtube videos.

You can try demos by search the al gore.

Agreed, I get kicked off the site and crashes on apple a lot.

120. Scotty LaDouche says:

Yeah Cherry is right, I want to watch robots play hockey, they’re classy.

121. oilersfan says:

I cant believe people here would trade anything more than a third rounder to move up three draft spots, as a third or fourth rounder are all that is usually paid to move up two or three spots. To give up gagner or hemsky for that pleasure is nuts.

And to think all they had to do was lose in minny to secure that top 5 pick. Unbelievable

122. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, Carlyle’s answer to being down 3-1 is to put Grabo on the 4th line with the facepunchers…

He needs out of there.

123. GordM says:

Could this be the end of Donald S Cherry? It’s one thing to mess with Russians…another to mess with Females.

124. gogliano says:

oilersfan:

They needed to lose to Minny and Van.

The Oilers have lost almost all their games since they were briefly in 8th spot. This team is terrible at a lot of things but it was a remarkable tank job to get the 7th overall (pre-lotto draft).

125. jfry says:

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

GordM:
    Could this be the end of Donald S Cherry?It’s one thing to mess with Russians…another to mess with Females.

he’s not going anywhere until he retires or CBC loses the broadcasting rights.

127. leadfarmer says:

Nashville and Tampa both winning their games. That win last night probably cost us a chance of picking third and walking away with Droin, Mckinnon, Jones, or Barkov.

Ryan: I’ll try to figure it out. any help appreciated!

Women are the best. Seriously. If you’re in your 20′s, reading this blog and have an option that involved the company of females, then pursue!!!!!!

You’ll have time to cheer for a hockey team when you’re 50

129. leadfarmer says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I dont get Canada’s obsession with the guy. Absolute Douche.

130. Lucinius says:

leadfarmer,

He gets ratings. Simple as that. If all the people who whined or bitched about Cherry simply turned the channel during intermissions you’d see change.

131. speeds says:

CAR ties it at 3. If they pick up a point, an EDM regulation loss would see EDM finish 6th last

132. hunter1909 says:

The only thing more boring than Don Cherry is the sound of people whining about him.

133. hunter1909 says:

Carolina tormenting Oilers fans as usual.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, how long was that DAL/DET deal in the works? and why pull the trigger now?

I wonder how long ago KL would have had to start chatting with Nil?

135. hunter1909 says:

Dallas Stars, another Oiler killing team hiring Jim Nill, while Oilers get MacT who no doubt would be offered another NHL GM job in a heartbeat were he ever to decide to leave the team.

136. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I wonder how long ago KL would have had to start chatting with Nil?

Why the hell should Lowe want to do anything like that?

137. Romulus Apotheosis says:

6th would guarantee us one of Monahan and Lindholm, right?

138. hunter1909 says:

Got to love the fans who would trade Sam Gagner to move 3 spots up in the draft.

139. Captain Happy says:

Ryan: I’ll try to figure it out. any help appreciated!

You’ll have time to cheer for a hockey team when you’re 50

Can’t you pursue the company of females when you’re in your 50′s?

Damn.

I’ve been doing it wrong:)

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: Why the hell should Lowe want to do anything like that?

he wouldn’t… let’s say “x”… how long ago would x have to start talking to Nil?

Friedman suggested that this was in the works for a long time…. now in the new social media universe that could mean anything from several months to 12 mins.

141. hunter1909 says:

Hilariously, Nail Yakupov’s become my fave Oiler. Taylor Hall and Yaks need to be surgically sewn together next season – they’ll be unstoppable.

Captain Happy: Can’t you pursue the company of females when you’re in your 50′s?

Damn.

I’ve been doing it wrong:)

Nah, you just have all the bullets in your 50′s so don’t need internet advice! :-)

143. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Real NHL teams do things differently than the Swan Hillbilly Oilers.

144. Captain Happy says:

hunter1909:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Real NHL teams do things differently than the Swan Hillbilly Oilers.

I was just thinking of the “Duelling Banjoes” segment from Deliverance.

Lowe and MacT.

Together forever.

145. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Real NHL teams do things differently than the Swan Hillbilly Oilers.

yes, yes…

I’m asking a different question… was Nil on the market, even if on the lowdown, were other teams looking in on him, or was this strictly a DAL situation?

146. uni says:

CBJ with 23 shots on net I think in the 3rd period, just got the go ahead goal with 4 minutes left. Here’s hoping Colorado has something left in the tank down 2-1 to Minnesota right now.

147. uni says:

Wow, looks like a full house and the crowd is buzzing. This could be very very good for Columbus.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:

or… they’d be the premise of not great comedy!

149. maudite says:

Wouldn’t he look good on the Oiler’s 3rd line….

Ceeehrist.

“Doesn’t he look good enough that worst case scenario he likely fits on the third line”

sure

Monahan, I’d do a second for a third swap to jump one spot if I had to.

150. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hall looks pretty well exactly like Matt Damon, so you’re halfway there.

151. Lucinius says:

Columbus wins.

Means Nashville does not pass Calgary (yay) and puts the pressure on Minnesota to hold out for the win against Colorado (go Avs!) if they want to make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh leading Carolina 5-3 now, though.. which was the really important game for Edmonton.

152. Rondo says:

Looks like Tampa Bay deliberately tanked at home against Florida

153. uni says:

That Columbus win was a thing to behold. They got full marks and deserved it. The building was packed and the crowd was standing on their feet and so loud they started to drown out the commentators.

They were chanting “Let’s go Jackets!” and then basketball style, “Defence!” when the puck on a rare instance made it back to the CBJ end.

154. Lucinius says:

Rondo,

I don’t know.. didn’t watch that game, but 31 shots apiece. Looks like Lindback isn’t doing them any favours, though.

If there’s a God in heaven (and I believe there is) the Jackets get in tonight.

156. Lucinius says:

Penguins up 6-3 now.. scoring three goals on three shots in the third period. Who do they think they are!? The Oilers!?

Stupid Carolina.. Ward hurt means Justin Peters is in the net for Carolina, though.. so no real surprise here.

157. hunter1909 says:

Refs want the Wild to get in, gifting those guys a 5 on 3 for nothing much ha ha.

I like the Wild, in so many ways; it’s just that I don’t ever want them to win.

158. striatic says:

jfry: just say no to 3rd party comment logins. statistics show that they have a massive decrease in commenting on most blogs and only benefit the users who “buy into” that technology. the opposite of what LT’s domain is about. one of the most frustrating things is having to have a liveFyre, a disqus and an FB login just so i can leave comments on assorted blogs.

agreed.

the issue is fixing the commenting so it works with iOS. there are ways to do this without using 3rd party commenting systems.

159. Lucinius says:

striatic,

Or fixing the users so they don’t use iOS?

160. Captain Happy says:

Lucinius:
    striatic,

Or fixing the users so they don’t use iOS?

Phhttt…the “users” are fine.

161. Rondo says:

Lucinius,

V. Lecavalier
    M. St. Louis
    S. Stamkos
    V. Hedman
    M. Carle
    T. Purcell

162. striatic says:

colorado has every incentive to lose, which sucks for the jackets.

163. uni says:

hunter1909,

Yeah that was a weak unsportsmanlike conduct late in a vital game like this.

Agreed. Also you’d think the NHL would want the Jackets in to ‘grow the game’. Watching that crowd in CB though, I really want the Jackets to make it. They deserve it, and a playoff run would do wonders for the stability of the franchise, that crowd didn’t know much about hockey from the “Defence” chants but they were freaking standing on their feet from that goal to the end of the game and never stopped screaming. Dubinsky and Anisimov > Rick Nash. Brobrovsky gamble paid off (for now) and Jack Johnson put in the winner, so this is still Howson’s team (Carter would make them better though). Kekelainen just put them over the top with the Gaborik trade.

164. striatic says:

Lucinius:
    striatic,

Or fixing the users so they don’t use iOS?

sigh.

it probably isn’t an iOS issue specifically, but a mobile safari issue, and possibly a mobile webkit issue that could be a problem on android devices as well.

165. hunter1909 says:

uni,

Be careful what you wish for. The Blue Jackets getting good only help make the Oilers and their 6 cup management look even more pathetic.

Hmmm…

166. uni says:

Brodziak being used heavily in the 3rd. He’s cutting guys off from the dangerous areas consistently and just threw a guy off the puck in the corner for a clear on what was looking like a dangerous Colorado play.

Also fan favourite whipping boy Tom Gilbert seems to be playing an important role.

167. Lucinius says:

striatic,

I wouldn’t know and was just joking. I don’t own a cell phone (something that leads to many entertaining conversations when people find this out) so wouldn’t have a clue.

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

With PIT up 6-3 on Carolina it’s pretty safe to openly and honestly cheer for the Oil to stick to the nucks.

That’s something.

169. Lucinius says:

uni,

The Brodziak trade remains one of the worst trades in recent Oiler trade history. Gave away something useful for nothing. For a player to get a roster spot gifted to him that he didn’t deserve, either.

170. uni says:

hunter1909: The Blue Jackets getting good only help make the Oilers and their 6 cup management look even more pathetic.

That’s not even an issue. That ship not only sailed long ago…it hit the iceberg, sank, Lowe survived, and word is a National Geographic diving team has already found the shipwreck and they’re planning a 1 hour special on the discovery.

171. vishcosity says:

OS 10.6.8 seemingly has no issues on either the tower or the macbook. The phone is still on the old OS, and again, that works fine.

For those who crash, what system you use? I bet Danny? would love to know that part of the eq.

172. Lucinius says:

Man… Wild have gotten away with three instances of holding the stick in the last four minutes. C’mon Avs!

173. Lucinius says:

Avs risking their draft position for a win. Good on them.

174. uni says:

Lucinius,

Agreed, they gave away the proverbial 2 way 2nd line center with size and grit for the equivalent of less value than Mike Brown (i.e. by their valuation standards). At worse Brodziak is an excellent 2 way 3rd line right-handed center that can PK, eat EV minutes, win faceoffs, and put up near 0.5 points per game playing against the other team’s best.

To make room for a guy that’s not even really in the NHL right now.

175. spoiler says:

striatic: sigh.

176. uni says:

Lucinius:

Seems very much like the refs are doing everything they can but scoring a goal themselves for Minnesota to win.

177. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wild lock it up and PIT up 7-3

GOILERS!!!

178. Lucinius says:

Damnit.. Wild win. Feh.

179. Captain Happy says:

If there’s a God in heaven (and I believe there is) the Jackets get in tonight.

Minnesota wins.

Ergo…there is no God in heaven. :)

180. uni says:

spoiler: My Android works better on this site than my laptop on IE9. Except for the sizing of the comment text window, which is relatively minor.

181. Lucinius says:

spoiler,

Good god.. why would you use IE!?

The mere thought is almost enough to give me convulsions.

182. Gerta Rauss says:

Avs announcer said CBJ went 19-5-4 to finish and they still miss the playoffs-that’s a kick in the junk.

That’s too bad.

Go Oilers…we can cheer for a sound thrashing tonight with a clear conscience-I hope Yak gets 3 and Hall gets 5 points.

183. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni: Spoiler, in IE9 with the site up and focus on the browser hit F12, in the Developer window that pops up check the Browser Mode and Compatibility Mode.Try having it in IE9 mode and IE9 Compatibility.

I’m pretty sure this is an Oilers fan blog not a Klingon chat forum.

184. Lucinius says:

Oh and since LT is slacking(!!!);

Cheechoo (Arcobello, Rajala)
    Jones (Pitlick, Green) and
    Arcobello (Jones, Rajala)

for the Barons tonight, leading 3-2 with less than 10 minutes to go in the third. They need to win to tie the series up.

Edit: Fixed third goal as it got changed.

185. Lucinius says:

Yak putting a puck right into the ear of Kesler.

Good effort Yak. I approve.

186. jfry says:

yak and hall together are too quick! man do they put D men on their heals.

187. steveb12344 says:

Yak with the sick pass off the boards to Hall.

188. uni says:

Gerta Rauss:

That’s too bad.

CBC just mentioned that Columbus was the best team for the last 2 months. Best record for ‘half’ the season and you still don’t make it. It’s amazing when you consider they were lower than the Oilers in the standings and next to last at one point.

I think of those 2 games when they heavily outshot and outplayed the Oilers and lady luck along with Dubnyk sank them. That would have benefited both teams if CBJ would have won.

189. Bulging Twine says:

Anyone know why didn’t Teubert play last night or tonight?

190. spoiler says:

uni: Spoiler, in IE9 with the site up and focus on the browser hit F12, in the Developer window that pops up check the Browser Mode and Compatibility Mode. Try having it in IE9 mode and IE9 Compatibility.

No difference. It’s weird because the comment box on my work laptop works better than on my home laptop, and they’re both running IE9. But I rarely get punted off the site, or logged out like the iOS users.

Now lets have us some Oiler Qapla’.

191. Lucinius says:

More goals for OKC;

Arcobello (Cheechoo) and
    Arcobello (Green, Jones)

5-2 lead now, minute-ish left.

192. Gerta Rauss says:

Ummm…does this game stink or is it just me…?

193. uni says:

Lucinius,

Arcobello with the natural hat-trick? Nice. Good for him. Here’s hoping this Miller kid is as good or better.

194. uni says:

Derek Zona has noted that Hall seems to be trying to get Yakupov the puck so far tonight.

195. spoiler says:

Lucinius:
    More goals for OKC;

Arcobello (Cheechoo) and
    Arcobello (Green, Jones)

5-2 lead now, minute-ish left.

Train, train, Cheechoo train
    The Barons are gonna win this game
    Cheechoo oh yeah Cheechoo.

196. spoiler says:

Pretty blah period.

We need to get more pucks to the net head.

197. spoiler says:

Cherry has had a couple wobbly pops.

198. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This Cherry hagiography on Brown and the apparent relation between fighting and winning ought to be shown to all first year logic students as a representation of “correlation ≠ causation.”

Newer Comments »