DUCKS AT OILERS G45 (22.4.13)

The Oilers have checked out and left Dodge City. Sure, they appear in games, but they’re miles away enjoying green grass and the joys of wealth and youth. Meanwhile, Edmonton’s spring-disguised-as-winter rolls along freezing every night and chilling every morning. If ever a city needed a weekend in Vegas it’s this one.

The Oilers are in a position to select 6th overall in this year’s entry draft. Calgary’s orderly AHL players won last night before the Oilers laid another egg, and the reward is another notch in the lottery ladder. The Oilers are saved from another first overall pick courtesy a shortened season (they’d get there in an 82-game stretch) and the fact they let “Lucky Steve” go last week.

1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Valeri Nicushkin
  5. Sasha Barkov
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Sean Monahan

Monahan would appear to be in the bag. Interesting. Very interesting.

I know management always says things like “we’re going to find out which of these guys really wants to be here” but hell the players have as much right to turn on management as the other way around. I don’t think the players can possibly do any more damage to their careers than they’ve already done (although this team is special in that way) so who knows what we’ll see tonight–maybe they’ll roll out Theo Peckham, Eric Belanger and Ken Berry.

Bottom line: tune in to the game if you want, but absences will be excused from here through season’s end.

One thing management has been doing well this week is communicating. MacT’s words are wonderful, he really does seem to be aware of which way the wind blows. The only quibble I have is telling 29 other GMs you are “impatient” but that’s a minor item and certainly the new GM isn’t going to kill the future.

I would hope that Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, Eberle and Schultz the younger are home and dry. Beyond that, my list would include Gagner, Paajarvi, Hemsky, Horcoff, Smid, Petry and Dubnyk. Something tells me  Dubnyk is not as secure as some others, and that Hemsky, Gagner and maybe even Paajarvi might be in the trade talk.

You have to give in order to get. I still think the Rangers, Flyers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets and Kings are good trade partners.

The Nuge thing. This is what I wrote yesterday: dumping on the Oilers for the Nuge situation is fair based on their own past in the injury/surgery department. However, there must have been a conversation between the team, player, agent and doctors that established:

1. he could not make the injury more severe by playing
  2. that he agreed surgery was the off-season option and that rehab would no longer work

I also think we’re guessing about surgery, recovery and rehab for next season. It could be like Hall, or it could be longer or shorter. There’s enough evidence against the Oilers to bury them on this, when we get into hyperbole we (imo) lose the center of the argument.

Woodguy posted this last night (at 11:15, don’t you people sleep?):

From the Oiler’s twitter account:

• “We discussed it a little bit during the year. It’s something that doesn’t fix itself. It has to be taken care of.” – RNH
  • RNH says his expected shoulder procedure is very close to, if not the same, as Taylor Hall’s surgery
  • “The plan was to get (the surgery) done before the season ends so I’m recovered and good to go before next season.” – RNH

Its a torn labrum. They don’t heal themselves.

tumblr_mh1e1lVF7W1rmbp5wo2_500

I started my career in radio June 15, 1980. From that day until 1996 summer when my daughter was born, I worked on-air for various radio stations in Red Deer, Regina and Edmonton. I entered a radio sales career in 1996 and have thoroughly enjoyed it over the last 17 years–and look forward to doing it many years into the  future. About two years ago, I worked with the good people of Oilers Nation, who wanted to have a weekly radio show that would feature their writers from Oilers Nation, Flames Nation, Canucks Army etc. It was a blast, something that rekindled my old passion for the on air business and gave me an outlet every Saturday. It also kept me away from the Saturday morning grocery shopping, the biggest perk of all. I would like to send a heartfelt thank you to Wanye and the band at the Nations for believing in me and for our continuing relationship. It is one of the best experiences I’ve had in business.

After the lockout, we started the Saturday show anew (this time without Oilers Nation, who are on their own brilliant journey) and have been doing it for a couple of months now, with some success.

About a week ago, the station management at Team 1260 offered me a tremendous opportunity: a daily (Mon-Fri) show from 10a-noon, between the Nielson & Fraser and Mark Spector shows. It took me less than a second to say “I’m in” and I consider it one of the best things to have happened in my now long radio career (33 years. lordy).

Starting next Monday, April 29 at 10am, The Lowedown with Lowetide will be on the air every weekday morning on Team 1260. The show will be unique in focus: we’ll talk to msm and bloggers who view the game through a lens that combines math and visual, with an eye to discovery. We’ll ask for your input, via phone, twitter, email, any form of communication up to and including telegram. I’ll talk Oilers past, present and future with some terrific hockey people, some of them well known in the Edmonton market and others legends from the past.

The first days of the show will coincide with the end of the Oilers season and the beginning of the MacT as GM era, so we’ll do the post mortem and my guests and you will figure out the solutions. I would very much like the show to be like this blog, where the contributions from posters drives the conversation and hilarity often ensues.

I don’t know where we’re going, but do know we’re starting in a very good place. I would like to personally thank Pat Cardinal, Susan Reade and Rob Vavrek for the opportunity given, and can’t wait to get started.

And, because I’m also in sales, you can join title sponsor  Western GMC Buick and Kitchen Studio and Wallbeds EtcThe Beer Hunter, Trilogy Oilfield Limited and EMHL as sponsors. My email address is amitchell@astral.com and I’d be delighted to hear from you (sales or show, doesn’t matter).

I’d love to hear guest suggestions, and topic ideas. Hope you tune in, starting next Monday.

259 Responses to "DUCKS AT OILERS G45 (22.4.13)"

« Older Comments
  1. SK Oiler Fan says:

I think they have their answer on Belanger. He’s shut it down for this team. He’ll likely find a taker somewhere else, but I don’t see how he helps this team next year.

2. Ducey says:

Fuck are these guys a bunch of pu$$ies. A guy runs Smyth, and there is no push back at all.

3. Ducey says:

Gagner is getting more affordable by the minute

4. hunter1909 says:

Smyth never had much of a shot but…

5. Genjutsu says:

Love him

6. OilLeak says:

Whitney’s ankles just exploded.

7. VanOil says:

Ducey:
    Gagner is getting more affordable by the minute

Only with the Oilers can a run of poor play actually increase the likely hood you get a long term contract. That said I am more than happy to have an affordable Gagner back.

8. Gret99zky says:

This team is just two rookies with no NHL experience away from making the post season.

9. hunter1909 says:

Horcoff will be commending the team for not being scored on etc in the 2nd period.

Then cracks a joke that only the vets understand.

10. hunter1909 says:

Steve Tambellini makes an appearance on Lowetide’s new radio show – promoting his kiss and tell memoir as GM of the Edmonton Oilers.

Followed by Lauren Pronger.

Then Sheldon Souray.

11. Clay says:

So here’s a serious question. At what point does Hall ask for a trade?

I mean, seriously. I know that this team has holes, and a couple of key people are sitting out, but there is just no life at all.

I would not be surprised at all if the rumors start this summer. If I was him, I wouldn’t give my youth for this stinking pile of horse-shit team.

12. OilLeak says:

Gret99zky:

WIN!

13. hunter1909 says:

Clay: So here’s a serious question. At what point does Hall ask for a trade?

He’s playing with his friends, they’re young, they haven’t given up until next season at least.

“Just think of the assets he can attract.” MacT (we hope not)

14. B S says:

Poise

15. B S says:

goal again

16. VanOil says:

That’s it what channel is the Voice on!

17. B S says:

Wow, Jones knocked the goalie right out of the net.

18. Southern Oil says:

Just turned it off. There really is no point for the rest of this season. So sorry Kevin I couldn’t be part of the first tier fan club – tough getting to games here in Atlanta, Georgia.

19. Gret99zky says:

Smyth is a bull out there tonight. And Jones is the tits.

20. Ducey says:

16,000 people start looking at their watches and begin thinking “I need to get up early for work tomorrow…”

21. B S says:

Ducey,

But if they leave who’s going to boo this wreck of a team?

22. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909:
    Steve Tambellini makes an appearance on Lowetide’s new radio show – promoting hiskiss and tell memoir as GM of the Edmonton Oilers.

Followed by Lauren Pronger.

Then Sheldon Souray.

Good article in latest SI on CFProngers struggles and karma.

Oilers are the best tankers – there’s a Valdez pun in there but I couldn’t be bothered

23. VanOil says:

Boo

I know from the cheap seats it dose not count as much.

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ha, Whitney burned 3 times in 30 seconds

25. B S says:

If we can’t cheer in the playoffs, at least fans can try to generate the same volume in boo’s for this tank job.

26. OilLeak says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Ha, Whitney burned 3 times in 30 seconds

I agree, he’s having a good night.

27. Captain Obvious says:

I’m not watching the game but it seems like what you are all saying is that the Oilers need to rebuild.

Next year, year one of the rebuild.

28. VanOil says:

Captain Obvious:

Next year, year one of the rebuild.

No they just need poise and grit!

29. SK Oiler Fan says:

Rink was empty with 3min left. That was 3/4 of the roster going through the motions

30. VanOil says:

That is a master class on tanking, they are in a different league

31. Gerta Rauss says:

Both fans seemed to be enjoying themselves right at the end there.

This team is broken.

32. Gerta Rauss says:

Gret99zky:

lol….what is sad is that Klefbom and Monahan fit the bill perfectly

33. smellyglove says:

Long (long) time lurker, grizzled HF veteran – permission to come aboard LT?

I worry about how much of the current cluster$$$$ is attributable to the KLowe brain trust. Was Tambo given a carte blanche or was he just the fall guy?

34. bookje says:

MacT better have a hell of a meeting at the end of the season to raise spirits for next year. The team is really ‘doing the right thing’ here and letting the team settle into its draft position, but there are serious emotional costs to players like Hall who are remembering two years of saying “Next Year”.

35. OilLeak says:

Gerta Rauss: lol….what is sad is that Klefbom and Monahan fit the bill perfectly

Barkov
    Nichuskin
    Lindholm
    Monahan.

In that order.

36. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje,

The way this season is playing out I wonder how much leash Lowe and MacT will be given by Katz. They may only get 1 year to get this team into/near the playoffs or they’ll both be joining Tambellini in the unemployment line.

37. Ducey says:

bookje:
    MacT better have a hell of a meeting at the end of the season to raise spirits for next year.The team is really ‘doing the right thing’ here and letting the team settle into its draft position, but there are serious emotional costs to players like Hall who are remembering two years of saying “Next Year”.

Couple of months at the cabin and all will be forgotten. Heck, look at the hype before this season coming off a 29th place finish.

smellyglove:
    Long (long) time lurker, grizzled HF veteran – permission to come aboard LT?

Welcome aboard! Doesn’t matter now, it’s like trying to figure out the dinner seating plan on the Titanic for the night after it sank.

39. proto says:

Congrats, LT!

I work from home mostly so this is awesome! No more Rome!

Bless the Maker and all His Water.

Just a little book readin’ nerding out. I know no other prayers, all right??

A word on the game: It’s pretty horrible to watch your team and feel embarrassment. I know they’re 1000 times the athlete I’ll ever be but come on, they just look sad out there. I guess Kevin Lowe knows something about winning though, if that’s my concern.

I feel buyer’s remorse for adding myself to the Season Ticket list during the winning streak. I thought maybe if they win 50% of the time it might be worthwhile…

That’s how they get you.

Anyway, all that misery aside, seriously, congratulations.

I had to sign up to comment just to say that. Been following you since 2006 and I’m so happy for your continued upward trajectory. If anyone deserves it, it’s you, A.

You’ve been like the Dad I never had patiently teaching me about hockey and a little about life.

Is it all awkward up in here, yet?

40. Clay says:

Captain Obvious:

Next year, year one of the rebuild.

Rebuild v3.0

I wonder when His Highness is going to share the “thing or two he knows about winning” with the rest of the team. Maybe if he passed his six rings around the room show-and-tell style before each game, that would bestow his magic winning wisdom on the players.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Until this mess actually hurts Mr. Katz in the pocketbook, Mr. Lowe is golden. In other words, we need the Tier 1 fans to stop going to games. Otherwise, this team will be the Leafs of the West.

41. fuzzy muppet says:

They can’t possibly be this bad next season right?? please tell me they will get better. This is ALL TIME FUTILITY were at. No one’s talking about it.

The only thing saving them from looking even worse is that 5 other teams gave up long ago.

I’m not sure i can take much more of this.

42. proto says:

Management must know this is the end of the rope. With the entire building booing the players off the ice for an entire month and a half now? I think the top tier of customers are getting unruly.

43. VanOil says:

fuzzy muppet:
    I’m not sure i can take much more of this.

Hold in there son, Nuge’s Beard is coming!

44. hunter1909 says:

Clay: Otherwise, this team will be the Leafs of the West.

Leafs are in the playoffs. We’d love to be the Leafs of the West.

As it stands, Oilers are the new benchmark for NHL futility.

ps: Lowe’s blown it with his epic outburst. He’s not being forgiven, not for the crap he’s been dishing out. I’ll bet he’s already started talking to Slats about returning to the Rangers, as chief ring polisher. And James Dolan’s the biggest jock groupie ever. Lowe’s going to be fine, stringing Dolan along with how he’s got the inside track on stealing Taylor Hall, etc.

45. Gret99zky says:

fuzzy muppet:
    They can’t possibly be this bad next season right??please tell me they will get better.This is ALL TIME FUTILITY were at.No one’s talking about it.

I’m not sure i can take much more of this.

Don’t worry.

a) The playoffs are a lock next year because Yak will be a year older.
    b) No matter the lines or roster we will have team toughness.
    c) Hemsky is a bad man.
    d) Horcoff is a servicable 3rd line center.
    e) Smyth has plenty left in the tank.
    f) We have a world class management staff.
    g) Six Rings knows a thing or two about winning.

46. smellyglove says:

That may be true but if the architect of our discontent is still pulling the strings – I’d like a refund ;-).

*Before* tonight’s loss the odds (according to Sports Club Stats) looked like this:

9th pick: 14%
    8th pick: 16%
    7th pick: 18%
    6th pick: 21%
    5th pick: 10%

That five game ‘hiccup’ winning streak puts the Oilers out of ‘sure fire’ player territory.

47. Ribs says:

Oilers rebuild: The final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Edmonton Oilers Enterprise.
    Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no team has gone before.

*Patrick-Stewart-facepalm*

48. Ice Sage says:

VanOil: Hold in there son, Nuge’s Beard is coming!

He’s gonna look like James Hardin when Oil make second season

49. smellyglove says:

Another thought that occurred to me: what would you have said if, on April 15, 2009, I told you: “Craig Mactavish, whose head we have all been calling for, who was FIRED today, will be back, running the organization in four years time.

MPS we hope will become a top-six forward in a year or two. Three first overall picks. Still in the basement.

I cannot decide if y’all would have laughed at me or lynched me.

50. MrSmitty says:

I thank the gods that is season is almost over. I just have to suffer through two more games at rexall. Ugh

51. Ribs says:

smellyglove:

I cannot decide if y’all would have laughed at me or lynched me.

As Kevin Lowe duly noted in the MacT re-introductory presser, “Tamby” never fired MacTavish. He resigned. I think many of us here were pretty sure he’d be back in some capacity and weren’t surprised when he was back working for them after his coaching stint with Vancouver.

52. Dominoiler says:

Wow, congrats on the new show.. you’ve earned it, with all the time you’ve dedicated to this blog and forum.. you may just end up pulling the msm into the world of advanced stats (of course many others contribute in their own ways, but this new show could be a link / connection for many others..

we’ll see,.. sounds like a great opp..
    Cheers,

53. PerryK says:

Cheers LT!
    I, for one, will be tuning in daily!

54. stevezie says:

I got bored of reading about the Oilers, so here;s a really good article on the hated Leafs.

It’s good to know that even if our team should luck its way into the playoffs we are still allowed to be angry.

55. PunjabiOil says:

Went to the game today – complimentary tickets from the firm partner. Does that qualify me as a tier 1 fan?

56. Genjutsu says:

the swamy says: Oilers draft third overall pick MacKinnon.

57. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

A few thoughts.

LT.

I honestly think 3 to 5 spot now, but on the outside chance they end up 6th, I would move Hemsky, Hartikinen both seconds and this years first to move into the 3 or 4 spot.

By my eye, the Oilers have no choice but to draft Barkov or Mackinnon.

The Oilers need another pick in the first round…….badly, A Bo Horvat or Kirby Rychel would help the Oilers immensely.

After watching Lander and Hartikinen closely the last two games, there is zero doubt left that these two players should ever see top six minutes again, they were awful and completely dominated, I felt really sorry for Yakupov to have to play with those two.

If the Oilers could have gotten a bag of pucks or Whitney hey should have taken that.

I also would agree that Gagner, Paarjarvi , Hartikinen, Hemsky and I’ll add Petry are the best bet to be traded this summer.

Interesting summer ahead for Mac – T, my guess is he try’s and fails at landing a big trade.

I wonder if the Oilers go after Murray out of CBJ?

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Lowetide: No one has said any of this. NO ONE said Lowe was Pronger, NO ONE. Seriously, you have to let this go. He was a helluva defenseman, I would say he was probably among the 20 best D in the league at one time (at a guess). That’s a valuable player. And he did it for a decade, that’s a long time for a defenseman.

No argument about his management since 2006 and of course his press conference was a complete derailment.

But on the issue of his being a journeyman defensemen, no sale.

And I have never said he’s a journeyman defenceman.

My point is that if Lowe defends his management behind his six Stanley Cup rings, fans are entitled to point out that his six rings came as a support player on some really great teams. Especially if he divides fans into two classes – people are going to get petty and rightly so.

59. stevezie says:

BlacqueJacque,

Lowe did bring this on himself. We can argue the specifics of your anger, but not the cause.

« Older Comments