DUCKS AT OILERS G45 (22.4.13)

The Oilers have checked out and left Dodge City. Sure, they appear in games, but they’re miles away enjoying green grass and the joys of wealth and youth. Meanwhile, Edmonton’s spring-disguised-as-winter rolls along freezing every night and chilling every morning. If ever a city needed a weekend in Vegas it’s this one.

The Oilers are in a position to select 6th overall in this year’s entry draft. Calgary’s orderly AHL players won last night before the Oilers laid another egg, and the reward is another notch in the lottery ladder. The Oilers are saved from another first overall pick courtesy a shortened season (they’d get there in an 82-game stretch) and the fact they let “Lucky Steve” go last week.

1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Valeri Nicushkin
  5. Sasha Barkov
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Sean Monahan

Monahan would appear to be in the bag. Interesting. Very interesting.

I know management always says things like “we’re going to find out which of these guys really wants to be here” but hell the players have as much right to turn on management as the other way around. I don’t think the players can possibly do any more damage to their careers than they’ve already done (although this team is special in that way) so who knows what we’ll see tonight–maybe they’ll roll out Theo Peckham, Eric Belanger and Ken Berry.

Bottom line: tune in to the game if you want, but absences will be excused from here through season’s end.

One thing management has been doing well this week is communicating. MacT’s words are wonderful, he really does seem to be aware of which way the wind blows. The only quibble I have is telling 29 other GMs you are “impatient” but that’s a minor item and certainly the new GM isn’t going to kill the future.

I would hope that Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, Eberle and Schultz the younger are home and dry. Beyond that, my list would include Gagner, Paajarvi, Hemsky, Horcoff, Smid, Petry and Dubnyk. Something tells me  Dubnyk is not as secure as some others, and that Hemsky, Gagner and maybe even Paajarvi might be in the trade talk.

You have to give in order to get. I still think the Rangers, Flyers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets and Kings are good trade partners.

The Nuge thing. This is what I wrote yesterday: dumping on the Oilers for the Nuge situation is fair based on their own past in the injury/surgery department. However, there must have been a conversation between the team, player, agent and doctors that established:

1. he could not make the injury more severe by playing
  2. that he agreed surgery was the off-season option and that rehab would no longer work

I also think we’re guessing about surgery, recovery and rehab for next season. It could be like Hall, or it could be longer or shorter. There’s enough evidence against the Oilers to bury them on this, when we get into hyperbole we (imo) lose the center of the argument.

Woodguy posted this last night (at 11:15, don’t you people sleep?):

From the Oiler’s twitter account:

• “We discussed it a little bit during the year. It’s something that doesn’t fix itself. It has to be taken care of.” – RNH
  • RNH says his expected shoulder procedure is very close to, if not the same, as Taylor Hall’s surgery
  • “The plan was to get (the surgery) done before the season ends so I’m recovered and good to go before next season.” – RNH

Its a torn labrum. They don’t heal themselves.

tumblr_mh1e1lVF7W1rmbp5wo2_500

I started my career in radio June 15, 1980. From that day until 1996 summer when my daughter was born, I worked on-air for various radio stations in Red Deer, Regina and Edmonton. I entered a radio sales career in 1996 and have thoroughly enjoyed it over the last 17 years–and look forward to doing it many years into the  future. About two years ago, I worked with the good people of Oilers Nation, who wanted to have a weekly radio show that would feature their writers from Oilers Nation, Flames Nation, Canucks Army etc. It was a blast, something that rekindled my old passion for the on air business and gave me an outlet every Saturday. It also kept me away from the Saturday morning grocery shopping, the biggest perk of all. I would like to send a heartfelt thank you to Wanye and the band at the Nations for believing in me and for our continuing relationship. It is one of the best experiences I’ve had in business.

After the lockout, we started the Saturday show anew (this time without Oilers Nation, who are on their own brilliant journey) and have been doing it for a couple of months now, with some success.

About a week ago, the station management at Team 1260 offered me a tremendous opportunity: a daily (Mon-Fri) show from 10a-noon, between the Nielson & Fraser and Mark Spector shows. It took me less than a second to say “I’m in” and I consider it one of the best things to have happened in my now long radio career (33 years. lordy).

Starting next Monday, April 29 at 10am, The Lowedown with Lowetide will be on the air every weekday morning on Team 1260. The show will be unique in focus: we’ll talk to msm and bloggers who view the game through a lens that combines math and visual, with an eye to discovery. We’ll ask for your input, via phone, twitter, email, any form of communication up to and including telegram. I’ll talk Oilers past, present and future with some terrific hockey people, some of them well known in the Edmonton market and others legends from the past.

The first days of the show will coincide with the end of the Oilers season and the beginning of the MacT as GM era, so we’ll do the post mortem and my guests and you will figure out the solutions. I would very much like the show to be like this blog, where the contributions from posters drives the conversation and hilarity often ensues.

I don’t know where we’re going, but do know we’re starting in a very good place. I would like to personally thank Pat Cardinal, Susan Reade and Rob Vavrek for the opportunity given, and can’t wait to get started.

And, because I’m also in sales, you can join title sponsor  Western GMC Buick and Kitchen Studio and Wallbeds EtcThe Beer Hunter, Trilogy Oilfield Limited and EMHL as sponsors. My email address is amitchell@astral.com and I’d be delighted to hear from you (sales or show, doesn’t matter).

I’d love to hear guest suggestions, and topic ideas. Hope you tune in, starting next Monday.

259 Responses to "DUCKS AT OILERS G45 (22.4.13)"

Newer Comments »
  1. regwald says:

Congratulations LT on the new gig. That’s awesome news for the regular visitors to this blog and those who love a different view from the MSM.

Hope it all goes well. You deserve it !

2. JohnnyOilfan says:

Congrats LT, very well deserve indeed.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Congrats, LT.

and the oilers delivered more good news for your draft specials yesterday – with the loss they are really within reasonable spitting distance of 29th.

4. jonrmcleod says:

LT, congratulations! Will you have time to do both the blog and the radio show?

5. BlacqueJacque says:

PS, good news – your first day of the show is draft lottery day.

6. Ducey says:

Great job! Thats awesome. Well deserved LT. Does this mean you are a member of the MSM?

Only problem is us working guys will have trouble listening to it. Oh well, it will make days off extra special.

I agree with your take on the Nuge’s shoulder. It sounds like he has been dealing with the same problem since junior and the spill into the boards last year was something different. It also sounds like there was an ongoing discussion between player and management. I would expect most players play dinged up.

Go Ducks!

7. rich says:

Congrats LT – you certainly deserve something good to come from these years of the Oilers being bad. A lesser person could not have done this.

8. Hammers says:

Congrats LT . This should be good timing as there should be lots happening in Oil country over the next few months . Please God .

Congratulations LT!

You desrve this and you should be proud.

A daily show that is math friendly will help move the conversation forward in a good way,

In honour of OTC I’m sending my first question via pony express and the second one via carrier pigeon.

You are going to be the busiest guy I know with your family, show, sales calls, and blog.

When the hell are you going to have time to drink whisky?

Congrats again sir!

Let me know if you need help bribing JJ.

10. Gret99zky says:

Congrats, LT.

Just keep on truckin with that eternal optimism, promises of a bright future, and that elusive 3 for 1 trade.

My old man always told me: Find out what you love to do. And do it.

11. tcho says:

Congratulations, LT! Great news.

12. judgedrude says:

The Pressure Drop song is great…there’s a nice version used in the movie “Grosse Point Blank”. Considering our scoring lately, did something subliminal happen there LT?

13. mustang says:

Congrats LT, well done.

14. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Hearty congratulations LT, well deserved!

Can I ask, when you started this blog – however many years ago it was now, 6? 7? – did you ever envision things catching on like they did? I don’t know what your latest blog traffic info is, but it has to be substantial, and you’re a real inspiration to other bloggers out there. Well done.

15. Quidge says:

Congrats! You are the reason I read Oiler blogs and now I might have to start listening to talk radio ;)

16. markasread1199 says:

Congratulations! This is one of the first things I read to get my morning underway. Wonderful writing and the visual lineup is always a good distraction from this beloved Oilers team.

Can’t wait for the new show….and also for the regular season to end.

Cheers.

17. LMHF#1 says:

Looks like we’re on almost exactly the same page re the reality if the end of this season LT. Especially when you mentioned the player/management dynamic that may well exist right now. It was something I felt compelled to write about in the report after last night’s debacle. This is the kind of junk hockey you get when management has been intentionally losing and the players have been listening.

Many congrats on the radio show. I’m sure it will be tremendous. One question – unless I’m missing something (and I may well have as I’ve been listening to nothing but satellite for some time), you’re replacing Rome? Tall order as he certainly has a dedicated following.

18. Halfwise says:

Mark Knopfler, Boz Scaggs, Emmy Lou Harris, the Clash AND announcing a new daily radio show with the vaguest hint in its name that KL is not immortal? Pretty good start to a Monday, I say.

It’s weird, this Oiler-following-read -the-blogs-and-all-the-comments thing. The relentless critics piss me off. The pollyannas piss me off too, although they are pretty hard to find these days. MacT offers me a wee dram of hope just when my old glass was in pieces in the corner where I threw it after the deadline passed in a puff of meaninglessness that only ST could have shaped.

But my basic feeling about this team is that they have just thrown away time, money, goodwill, reputation and loyalty, especially since KL stepped upstairs. What a disappointment he has been and still is.

A cynic is just an idealist who has been let down once too often. Me, for example.

I don’t live in the Edmonton broadcast area so I won’t hear your show in the car. Any options for on-line access? I am needing more splints and bandages for my broken Oiler-fanbone.

19. justDOit says:

Congrats, LT. Is filling 10 hours of air time per day going to take away from your priceless blogs?

Also, who is the cute fox?

Quick link for Oiler fans:

20. Bar_Qu says:

That is great news LT. There is always time for something you are passionate about, especially when you get paid for it.

I love hearing Knopfler with Emmy Lou. Such a nice blend of voices.

And thanks for the reminder to do something else (more valuable) with our time rather than the Oil. I have started on a huge Lego set my sons took apart a year and a half ago. It occupied a good 5 hours of my life this weekend and I didn’t begrudge a minute. The blasted kids keep wanting to play with the stuff while I’m working, but I am keeping them away so far! ;-)

21. supernova says:

Congrats Lowetide,

Really enjoy all aspects of your show.

You are great at what you did, lets hope you keep loving it.

22. Smarmy says:

Good stuff. You’re not a fire and brimstone guy but you are critical and hopefully that carries into the show. Keep six rings in the hot seat and be the voice of third tier fans everywhere.

23. Adam Dyck says:

Congratulations, LT. You’ve earned it.

You should look into getting a PHWA accreditation!

24. hockeyguy10 says:

Congrats. Could this lead to a live report from the floor on draft day?

25. Lummeropenet84 says:

Out standing Lowetide!

Like winning your very own Stanley Cup.

26. DBO says:

Awesome news LT. Us unfortunate few Oil fans in Calgary need all the Oilers talk we can get and for some reason Spector hurts my ears. I’ll echo the outcry for you to get sent to the draft!

27. hungoverman says:

Congrats LT. I don’t post very often but I listen to the podcast of each and every show every Saturday night as I make supper and crack my first of several beers. It was very odd not having the show on Saturdays.
    Also…why do you hate Smid enough to put him on your trade list?
    I kid.!!!

28. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Congrats LT! Best news an Oiler fan has heard in a while…

Might I suggest a call-in segment? I would LOVE to actually hear some of the regular posters here on the radio….a Bookje & “Steve Smith” spot would be ratings gold, me thinks :)

And maybe a Captain Happy segment, you know, just to keep us all in check…..

29. pboy says:

Congrats! I got the opportunity to listen to a whole show this Saturday and I really enjoyed it, especially hearing Dennis.

Is there any reason why the Oiler’s didn’t have RNH go in for his surgery at the same time Hall had his? RNH wouldn’t have missed any of this NHL season at all and he wouldn’t be out of the line-up for next season either. I know this is all going to be blamed on Tambo but as usual, this was probably a decision that had multiple fingerprints on it.

It’s incredible that both Hall and RNH had pre-existing shoulder injuries in Junior and they were able to play at such a high level in the NHL against grown men.

30. cabbiesmacker says:

So you’ve knocked Rome off the air in Edmonton Mr Bigshot. Well done and sincere congrats.

Love Emmylou and Knoppler together. You also could have gone with “This Is Us” as an appropriate for the Oilers past few years.

She and Steve Earle also did a version of Goodbye which has always stirred something in me. Fitting for this years version of the Oilers I think.

31. RexLibris says:

Wait, so we get to replace Jim Rome with LT? Feels like winning a lottery. Was this Tambellini’s parting gift?

Congratulations, Lowetide. Well deserved and a almost certainly well-received.

Oh, and I look forward to watching the Oilers rub a little salt into the wounded Flames hearts this spring when they go to the podium and take the remaining top center in the draft.

32. Oiler_Kiwi says:

Congrats on the new gig. Richly deserved and I look forward to listening to pod casts of the new show.

Really enjoyed listening to the show via the podcast and to hear Dennis.

Dennis used to tape 8 or 9 games a month on VHS back in the early ’00′s and send them over to me here in Scotland. Only way I could get my fix of the Oilers back then.

I remember reading you over at HF with the late Red Twilight back in the day as well.

Just amazing how technology and the passion of the bloggers/commentators here and elsewhere have made following the Oilers despite the poor product on the ice, so much more enjoyable and informative.

All the best Lowetide!

O_K

33. Madjack says:

Congrats, LT ! Can’t wait to listen.

34. denny33 says:

Excellent news LT….

Heard you last week and quite frankly – you have a great radio voice…

Well done…

35. Scott Reynolds says:

Congratulations, LT! It’s exciting to me that your view of the game will be getting more play in the city. Do you get a press pass with this new deal?

36. tsunami says:

Congrats, not suprised at all… Unfortunately I can’t listen to it… Any online option ?

37. Lois Lowe says:

Congrats LT, I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more!

38. bookje says:

I just read this (missed yesterday) – Great news and well deserved! You raised the bar with regards to online Oilers blogging and conversations (in spite of those of us who work diligently to lower the bar!) and I wish you all the best in taking that conversation forwards to the rest of Edmonton. I am sure you will be reaching a lot of individuals who have never clicked on an Oilers blog in their life. I would recomend being a bit like American Hockey announcers who take the time to explain icing and offside each and every game. So, when Tyler comes on and talks about ‘Rel Corsi”, you need to be the guy saying “Just a reminder for the folks out there who are new to advanced stats Rel Corsi refers to …”

Congratulations – well deserved! I think its fantastic that your passion for this has opened opportunities for you.

39. bookje says:

On another note – Surgery…

I have often wondered how long before we start seeing ‘performance enhancing’ surgeries on healthy individuals. At some point in surgical development, there must come a point where healthy players can be improved by surgery. Call it performance enhancing surgeries. A strengthening of a ligament here, a lengthening of a tendon there, etc.

Anyone out there have any insights into this? It wouldn’t have to be just for the NHL, it could be any sport.

40. bones says:

Congrats, LT, this has made my day. I’ll be listening to every show from here in the UK.

41. justDOit says:

Smarmy:

‘Six Rings’… nice, but I was thinking ‘Lowe of the Rings’. ?

42. jfry says:

Awesome news

Are you part of the msm now?

It’s good to see you hitting the ball in aaa and getting your at bats in the bigs! Are you waiver eligible now?

43. fuzzy muppet says:

Splendid news. Congrats! Does this mean less posting from our favorite blogger?!??!

44. JAG-041 says:

the only thing not making this season an utter disappointment is that fact that LT now has a daily show

well done!

45. Rocknrolla says:

Well deserved young man!

46. VanOil says:

Congratulations LT on the new gig. May your radio show do for Math in hockey what the Khan Academy has done for math in general. Maybe we should ask Khan to do some videos on Corsi, Fenwick ect.

Something came up yesterday and I did not prioritize watching the game. When I got home late last night I scaned the game day blog to add some colour to the box scores. The fact there was so little mention of the actual game painted a picture, thank you all, sometime less is more.

For guest recommendations on your new show I have a couple; I have heard a rumor that a little known hockey coach is living in Edmonton, he is known to have produced one of hockey’s greatest prodigies and has been around others like Jagr. I believe his name is Mr. Yakupov Sr. Translator may be required but it would be awesome to here form him.

As we get closer to the Draft there is a proud Mother out of Cole Harbour NS who I hear is a very knowledgeable hockey commentator. She has seen more games of two out of the three top picks than any scout and knows her stuff. Mrs MacKinnon. Good luck I am sure the show will be a great success no matter who you get as guests, you have a whole city of hockey fans eager for some hockey to get excited about.

47. Ribs says:

Oh, wow. That’s great news, LT! Congrats!

48. BlueNoteNorth says:

Great news LT. Well deserved sir. Congrats.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Fantastic News!

Congrats LT!

Most important thing is that you are stoked to be doing this.

Last night: Lander and Harti both looked fine.

The scratches: I think as much as the assumption about the firing of Renney might be connected to his playing of Nik and Lander last year… We should consider that ST’s inactivity at the deadline re: Nik, Whitney, etc. may have been the axe that killed him.

RK won’t play these guys unless at gunpoint. As much as the losing streak, that may have broken the facade.

Not sitting RNH two weeks ago is a fatal flaw in the org. for two reasons. When the playoffs were out of the picture (and they were early, if they were ever more than a mirage to begin with), he needed to get cut to be ready for next year and to help the tank along.

Last few games: need to run the tank-table. Calgary is fucking up the tank job and we need to take advantage. RK can talk about winning all he wants. we need results. Lose them all and secure Monahan or better.

Finally, once again, great job and congrats LT. I’ll be listening when I can here in Toronto!

50. Beaker says:

Thats awesome LT!
    Congrats! I rarely get to catch your show and will still have a hard time getting there but will do my best to catch it when I can!

P.S. Carolina has more ROW than us! Top 5 here we come! Lets just hope no one better than us in the standings wins the lottery and moves us back.

51. asiaoil says:

Congrats LT and keep your existing approach to the hockey stats. Make it approachable and maintain your persona as the “ordinary guy” who thinks this stuff is kind of interesting. Avoid guests who make others feel “dumb” about stats as this is the primary cause of people opposing the approach – there are no “dumb questions” – we are all trying to learn.

bookje:
    I just read this (missed yesterday) – Great news and well deserved! You raised the bar with regards to online Oilers blogging and conversations (in spite of those of us who work diligently to lower the bar!) and I wish you all the best in taking that conversation forwards to the rest of Edmonton.I am sure you will be reaching a lot of individuals who have never clicked on an Oilers blog in their life.I would recomend being a bit like American Hockey announcers who take the time to explain icing and offside each and every game.So, when Tyler comes on and talks about ‘Rel Corsi”, you need to be the guy saying “Just a reminder for the folks out there who are new to advanced stats Rel Corsi refers to …”

Congratulations– well deserved!I think its fantastic that your passion for this has opened opportunities for you.

Re: corsi etc.

There is a movement afoot for the stats bloggers to all start using the same nomenclature.

Greg Sinclair (@ninjagreg) is the process of creating a new TOI site. Vic’s site is awesome, but unreliable.

In a twitter thread that included Greg, Mike Parkatti, Eric T, Doogie2K and David Johnson, Mike came up with this:

David Johnson ‏@hockeyanalysis 19 Apr
    @Woodguy55 @theninjagreg @doogie2k @mparkatti @BSH_EricT I am good with SA, but do we include blocked shots or no? i.e. fenwick or corsi?

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 19 Apr
    @hockeyanalysis @Woodguy55 @theninjagreg @doogie2k @BSH_EricT Both: SA% = Corsi%. SAT% (Shot attempts through %) = Fenwick.

So I think you will start to see SA% (shot attempts) replace Corsi, and SAT% (shot attempts through) replace Fenwick.

I think its a big step towards main streaming this stuff.

I know I’ll start using those two acronyms.

53. speeds says:

Really cool news, all the best going forward with the expansion of the show LT! I really enjoyed the weekly show, and am excited to hear the show will be on so much more per week!

54. prairieschooner says:

What I don’t have to switch channels between 10am and Noon?
    Thanks you LT I was really bugged about Jim Rome show, I used to have to go to a music channel .
    Oh and congrats, ratings will be good as LTs Army will all fall in.

55. CM says:

Congrats LT. And thank you for the many hours and hours of entertainment I’ve had reading this site. Like thousands of others I’m here everyday for at least a few minutes or more. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to connect with your fans and the dedication that it takes to keep up a blog of this quality.

I get more of my oilers news from this site than any other. I’m glad to hear you have a continuing opportunity to do what you love and that you have been rewarded for the many years you’ve given to us.

56. M Parkatti says:

Hey LT,

Just wanted to leave a note of congratulations, well done. I’ve followed your work since the stone ages of HFboards. For many fans, this blog and community are a home away from home. Having now dabbled in blogging myself, I have even more respect for the effort and time you put into this stuff. A sincere thank you, and I cannot wait to have a reason to listen to radio during the week.

WG — I’ve started using that naming system in my game tweets and threads, and will be updating my charts soon to scrub Corsi references. I feel like this is a good time to switch over. I don’t have enough courage to use the acronyms alone yet, but after a decent amount of intro time it should be pretty seamless…

57. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Wow. You are an industry. Congratulations. I don’t know how you can do it all. It takes me two days to summon the energy to renew my car insurance.

58. VanOil says:

Woodguy:

I think its a big step towards main streaming this stuff.

This is a wise course of action. Thanks for sharing.

59. Bag of Pucks says:

Congratulations LT and well deserved. You present a very articulate and rational on-air presentation and that’s something that’s sorely needed on the Edmonton sports radio landscape. Hopefully Strudwick has long forgotten the treatment he’s received on this blog or you may suffer the odd bodycheck in the hallway ; )

I used to work in the radio biz as a news director many many moons ago and could never get used to the early morning hours and afternoon naps (am a natural night owl). I was fortunate to be able to transition into corporate communications as the internet was taking off. That’s led to a career that’s been a much better fit for myself and family but I’ve always maintained much respect for professional broadcasters. Being in the public eye, it’s one of those jobs where everyone’s a critic, but you can always tell when someone has a natural affinity for it – and you do. Enjoy the ride!

60. RMGS says:

Congratulations, LT! I’ve been a long-time reader and recent casual commenter on your blog. I’ve learned a lot about how to appreciate the game through the site, and I’m sure many more will benefit from your daily show. Best of luck!

61. 106 and 106 says:

Passion, skill, grit and competitive swagger – you love this team and it shows :)

Can’t be more excited for you (ps: youve paid your dues, 32 years – in Red Deer too, eh? Lordy).

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: The biggest hang up is language. Guys like Glenn Healy talk about “shots directed at the net”, but show disdain for “Corsi”, not knowing that they are the same thing.

Really interesting article about how Snow built the NYI into a team that is 7th in shots for and 8th in shots against out of spare parts and one star.

Did it will smartly not rushing any of their high end kids like Strome, Reinhart, Neiderriter and Nelson.

Their waiver pick ups are much, much, much more effective than EDM’s expensive bottom 6 as well.

Romulus Apotheosis: I noted this on Sat. during the Toronto game Friedman mentioned how badly outshot they were (he wasn’t using corsi or fenwick, just shots)… and Healy waxed poetic about how shots don’t matter because wins are all that matter and something about Curtis Joseph.

Maybe using Healy as an example wasn’t wise. :)

Khabby starts, Whitney in.

Slack Off for Barkov!!

66. corykg says:

Right on and congrats! A verbal 2 hr daily dose of this blog? Sign me up.

67. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

Slack Off for Barkov!!

You could have gone with a different (but rhyming) word there for emphasis

68. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:

Lost a pretty big offensive piece in PA Parenteau last offseason as well and didn’t miss a beat.

69. Clay says:

Great news LT, and congratulations! You’ve earned it. I think that the general sporting public is slowly becoming aware of some of the quality work being done by intelligent bloggers, and you’re leading the way.

70. Ribs says:

EdmontonOilers
    “We want to give the home crowd something to cheer about down the stretch. We need to start that tonight.” – Coach Krueger

Little late there, coach.

71. leadfarmer says:

Congrats LT.

bookje,

Tommy John is as close as a surgery comes to fitting that criteria, but still not quite there.

Still dont understand why they kept peckham sitting around, when young defenseman likely Hickey where hitting the waiver wire. Should of at least taken a chance and if nothing came out of it they could toss em back.

72. Beaker says:

7 more days till the biggest win of the year for the Oilers will happen! Why couldnt we have kept Tambo till then?

73. Ryan says:

Congrats LT!

Interesting link above to the score on the Islanders.

“There’s really nothing special here at work, only there is. Combined, Winnipeg’s first line of Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler make about $11-million. The first line of the Islanders, who have been just as good and exciting make a little under $10-million all considered.”

That’s actually pretty interesting. Winnipeg and the Islanders spend in the same range for their 1st line as the Oilers 3rd line.

Yakupov has moved up and down and there’s been a lot of fluidity to their lineup, but in theory the Oilers can put together a bottom six line that cost nearly $11 m and is a black whole of suck as a unit.

Horcov-Smyth-Hemsky $10.75 m
    Horcov-Smyth-Jones $9.25 m

Either way, that’s terrible value. :(

Here’s a really gross stat.

Oiler’s season PDO is now .998 (7.70 SH% and .921 SV%)

They are full value for their record.

Season wise they have the 2nd worst Fenclose in the NHL (44.35) and are worst in the NHL since March 1 by the same metric.

This team is awful.

MacT has his work cut out for him.

Also,

Hemsky shut down for the season.

No PRV tonight, got hit with a puck in the foot last night.

75. rich says:

I do wonder if this team is able to drop 12 of it’s final 13 if things change re: the view on RK. There is not one single winnable game left. I know MacT said the problem isn’t with coach per se, however, unless he’s running the lines to make a point to management that this group is incapable of playing the game – he’s losing a lot of tactical battles.

When you have the last shift change and you are consistently winding up with your 4th line out against the other team’s top line on home ice, that’s pretty bad.

Going to be very hard to keep some guys from mailing it in.

Of course, maybe tonight is a fan appreciation nite for Khabi and everyone gets to say goodbye one last time. He’s been full value for that contract.

76. Henry says:

Congratulations on the great gig LT! No one deserves this more than you. The past five years you’ve done more to maintain interest in the Oilers from the fanbase than the team has.

77. denny33 says:

Ribs,

Something to cheer about…..inserting Ryan Whitney……

Good luck with that coach…

Columbus Blue Jackets …New York .Islanders….now who can we benchmark ourselves against?

78. fifthcartel says:

Congrats Lowetide!

With Khabi, Whitney, Belanger in and Paajarvi out.

Our draft position is looking better and better.

79. slopitch says:

WG: that article by Charron is a beauty. He’s been pointing out the Islanders roster a bit of the past week or so on Twitter. Its a good story. Your right about the Oilers being aweful. MacT needs to make 5-6 upgrades before this team makes the playoffs. The good news is that 3-4 of them can come over the summer in the form of addition by subtraction.

LT: congrats. Been reading here since the 2006 run. I’m glad to see your hard work pay off.

80. supernova says:

Woodguy:

to be fair

they have tried until this year to force Nino into the line up, as well maligned for the trade and handling of Bailey.

They also alleged proposed their entire 2012 draft to move up 2 spots for Ryan Murray or Galyenchuk.

I really like seeing them succeed and like what they have done in their bottom 6, we should have been doing this as well especially with the active waiver wire this year.

The Oil and Oil fans have an almost insane fanaticism with its 3rd and 4th line. They fall in love with the most replaceable and interchangeable components of the team and we have constantly overpaid on term and dollars.

81. dessert1111 says:

Great news on the show and huge congratulations!! I’ll be sure to tune in online when time permits.

82. Ryan says:

WG, I’m going to pin you down with a question.

Can the Oilers make these improvements if they run Nuge-Gagner-Horcov down the middle again?

Now, for fun I’m going to do Horcov vs. Colin McDonald

Horcov: GP 27: 7-4-11 (.41 ppg) +3 (50.2% FO / 17.9 SH%)
    MCD: GP 42: 7-10-17 (.40 ppg) -2 (57.1% FO / 9.1 SH%)

QOC trad

Horcs: 9th among forwards
    McD: 8th

Corsi Rel QOC:

Horcs: 5th
    McD: 6th

Corsi QOC:

Horcs: 7th
    McD: 11th

Overall, reasonably similar QOC metrics

Zones Starts

Horcs: 41 % Ozone
    McD: 44.9 %

tougher sledding for Horcs, but no easy sledding for MCD.

PDO:

Horcs: 1044
    MCD: 977

Horcs has favorable PDO / SH% to inflate his stats.

5v5/60

MCD: 2.10 (3rd)
    Horcs: 1.41 (7th)

Overall, you could almost argue that they’re book ends in terms of results with Horcov getting more dzone work and producing the same offense based on an inflated SH%.

11.42 min of EV time for Horcs vs 10.90/60 for MCD. MCD isn’t spending much time killing penalties.

I didn’t watch McDonald, but did we lose a player here?

Woodguy:
    Here’s a really gross stat.

Oiler’s season PDO is now .998 (7.70 SH% and .921 SV%)

They are full value for their record.

This team is awful.

MacT has his work cut out for him.

Also,

Hemsky shut down for the season.

No PRV tonight, got hit with a puck in the foot last night.

supernova,

There is actually evidence that doing that would work out more than it wouldn’t. Its an interesting strategy.

Also,

Not many who post here love anyone in the bottom 6, except Horcoff.

What does get derided by a lot of posters is when some of whine about not picking up players who can help on waivers.

Snow has shown how to do it properly.

84. Rocknrolla says:

Great little article by Gregor interviewing Nuge’s agent Rick Vallette. Gives some more insight to how the decision was made and the timing….

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova: How many successful baseball teams have fallen in love with their utility players and have been successful. Lets fall in love with our 3 and 4 hitters and 1 and 2 pitchers and drop the affinity for 10 minute players.

But, but… the “compete level” of Smithson, Brown, Fistric, Jones and Petrell is through the roof!

Ryan,

I don’t know enough about MacDonald to give you a good answer, but your reasoning looks sound.

At with no C depth like the Oilers passing on someone like Joikenen is also baffeling.

I’m heartened by MacT’s delcaration to get more good players.

I hope its at the margins more than whale hunting.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel: With Khabi, Whitney, Belanger in and Paajarvi out.

i thought Belanger was assassinated by some Quebec mafia.

Why haven’t — in these darkest of days — we seen Peckham dress at least once?

88. slopitch says:

Supernova: I’d move all our picks this year for Seth Jones. If your scouts see a big gap on the topend of the roster, I think a case can be made that its a defensible strategy.

I also agree about the topend of the roster – except that the Oilers bottom players are so bad they undo (and then some) any progress made by our top line.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rocknrolla:
    Great little article by Gregor interviewing Nuge’s agent Rick Vallette.Gives some more insight to how the decision was made and the timing….

Gregor seems to be running a bit of cover here…

but RNH’s agent’s comments are welcome, especially about not rushing him. He better play with a big cricket bat to keep “tough guy 6 cups” from trying to rush things

also, the paragraph at the end about Gilbert and golf is priceless…

athletes… still stupid like the rest of us. It’s odd to see them constantly forget their body is actually their only tool for their job… see: Peckham.

90. Rocknrolla says:

Halfwise:

Halfwise,

I would recommend Tune In Radio, I use it on iPhone and Ipad. There is something that feels like home, being able to be walking down the street in New York, and listening live to Ched or the Team, and keeping up with the Oil. Its a good app, and also allows you to record shows too.

Also, if you miss a show, I find that the soundcloud site for Team 1260 works great in the browser on iPhone too, and you can effectively stream an archived show. Quite useful if you are in a further time zone!

Hope that helps

91. Spartacus says:

Congratulation, LT!

Pretty shrewd move by Team 1260 to sign you and get you into the rotation before you went UFA.

On a totally unrelated note: cursory examination of the punctuation makes me think that Hammers is Madjam incognito.

92. ashley says:

bookje:
    On another note – Surgery…

I have often wondered how long before we start seeing ‘performance enhancing’ surgeries on healthy individuals.At some point in surgical development, there must come a point where healthy players can be improved by surgery.Call it performance enhancing surgeries.A strengthening of a ligament here, a lengthening of a tendon there, etc.

Anyone out there have any insights into this?It wouldn’t have to be just for the NHL, it could be any sport.

LT has this right. The Oilers approach to RNH’s injury is ok, if not the standard of care. Many people have labral tears. Probably half of you do. Many people are asymptomatic. For those that develop symptoms, the first question after finding a labral tear is if the tear is the problem. There are lots of things that cause shoulder symptoms, and there is nothing more irritating for a patient than to undergo surgery and a long period of rehab only to continue to have shoulder pain after the surgery. Not to mention surgical risk and when doing anything to the human body, there is always a chance of making things worse rather than better.

So conservative management (NSAIDs, rest, physio) is the first line of treatment for any patient with a labral tear. If the patient fails conservative management, and the symptoms are felt to relate to the diagnosed tear (usually diagnosed with an MRI arthrogram), then surgery is sometimes considered.

It’s true that the labral tear is not going to heal on its own. However, the symptoms from the labral tear can, and not uncommonly do, go away on their own, or with physio. This was presumably the hope with RNH.

There are times when conservative management is not really an option, and this is when the shoulder has mechanical limitations due to the tear (limited range of motion, locking, etc), or the tear is large enough or associated with singificant joint capsule laxity that it is likely to cause continued symptoms or extension of the tear.

Most patients are candidates for initial conservative management.

Regarding surgery to augment physical performance, the short answer is not in our lifetimes. Probably not ever. Despite what those ads about enhancing male genitalia say, it is generally not possible to make something function better with surgery.

Surgery always does damage. Damage gets repaired with scar. The result is alterations in the tissue biomechanics that the body does well to adjust to, but will never be as strong or feel the same as the way it was naturally made to feel and function.

In addition, there are several sets of nerves to every tissue in our bodies that provide specialized sensation and function. These are always damaged or sometimes annhilated with surgery. We can’t mend nerves, at least not easily. Small peripheral sensory (nonmotor) nerves can regrow very slowly, but not always.

One of the biggest challenges to reconstructive joint surgery is the loss of proprioception which is specialized nerve sensation that basically tells the brain where in space the limb is positioned relative to the rest of the body, the ground, etc. Without this, it places additional stress on the other structures and tissues in the joint making them more susceptible to injury.

Not having surgery is always better than having surgery. Surgery as a last resort, athlete, or nonathlete.

Overall, a glenoid labral tear is a pretty minor thing. As a teenager, he’ll do very well. If it was LT’s shoulder, we would have to be a little more cautious with our prognostications. :)

93. Rocknrolla says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Gregor seems to be running a bit of cover here…

also, the paragraph at the end about Gilbert and golf is priceless…

CLASSIC! Risking their careers for some winter golf…Great story!

94. ashley says:

Here’s an abstract from a somewhat older article:

95. bookje says:

Rocknrolla: CLASSIC!Risking their careers for some winter golf…Great story!

Yes, because going outside in the cold makes you get sick, particularly if you ignore science.

96. bookje says:

ashley,

Oh Yeah – what about the Bionic Man – $7 million, even with inflation, would make for a pretty cheap dominant forward these days.

97. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Congrats on going into the corners with Jim Rome and coming out with 10 full hours a week. Make as much room as you can for the Oil Kings as deep as they go. Thanks.

98. FastOil says:

Congrats LT! Hope you can still find time to smell the roses. You’re hat stand must be close to out of open hooks.

I admire you for you’re ability to maintain a balanced perspective while also being interesting. Not the easiest thing to do it seems.

99. lawrenharris says:

Woodguy:
    Khabby starts, Whitney in.

Slack Off for Barkov!!

Better hope Khabi doesn’t have one of those lights-out nights.

100. Jonathan Willis says:

Good for you, LT. You’re certainly deserving of your own show!

101. supernova says:

Woodguy,

I agree on the bottom 6 misuse.

This year was a horrible use of the 23 man roster as well as the 50 player list.

Yesterday was the first game where we had a Center go down and still could ice 4 of them.

it was clear that Carolina / Tampa would have been potential trade partners on these bottom 6 type players.

They made moves that Tambo would never do like cutting a player then re-acquiring or using the percentage trade scenario (Jussi Jokinen)

my other point was Snow shows you can make mistakes but still correct them in season.

102. supernova says:

Woodguy,

I think Mcdonald refused to sign back with the organization.

felt he was misused/ misjudged and wanted a fresh look with someone else.

Even went to Europe to get out, and get a new crack somewhere.

103. ed says:

McDonald doesn’t play C, apples and oranges.

104. supernova says:

slopitch:
    Supernova:I’d move all our picks this year for Seth Jones.If your scouts see a big gap on the topend of the roster, I think a case can be made that its a defensible strategy.

Agree that its a defensible strategy. Was just saying if you like a GM moves in a Vacuum they don’t tell the whole story.

Our bottom 6 look even worse if you watch the Recent Flames games and see how hard those guys are competing.

it looks like out bottom 6 have a year to go until their pension kicks in and are just coasting, waiting for retirement.

105. Bar_Qu says:

Rocknrolla:

I don’t like to paint the bad guy here, but I feel like the Oilers would be a little better versed in shoulder injuries by now. And with a lockout on, they would make an effort to get a guy with tweaked shoulder out of the AHL and into the surgical suite. Gregor can defend the decision all he wants, but the Oilers got a sub-par season from RNH (even though he was one of the more effective forwards) and will get a sub-par start to next season from him too.

It brings to mind Souray’s comments on the medical mindset of the guys in charge and how it hurts the team overall. And I wouldn’t complain if it wasn’t a pattern, but it is and it would be nice if someone would stand up and say “we goofed”.

106. supernova says:

From Gregor’s Journal article;

Former Oilers Tom Gilbert and Kyle Brodziak both had pneumonia early this season. During the lockout, they golfed 45 holes one day in late November in Minnesota when it was only four degrees. Gilbert ended up with viral and bacterial pneumonia and spent four days in hospital. Brodziak didn’t get sick until January, but he lost 15 pounds and it zapped his strength. He said he is finally back to feeling better. When I asked them what they were thinking golfing on that cold of a day Gilbert said: “We weren’t thinking. I have no idea why we kept playing. It definitely wasn’t our best decision.”

We even teach our former players how to ruin their seasons

107. Henry says:

ashley: LT has this right.The Oilers approach to RNH’s injury is ok, if not the standard of care.Many people have labral tears.Probably half of you do.Many people are asymptomatic.For those that develop symptoms, the first question after finding a labral tear is if the tear is the problem.There are lots of things that cause shoulder symptoms, and there is nothing more irritating for a patient than to undergo surgery and a long period of rehab only to continue to have shoulder pain after the surgery.Not to mention surgical risk and when doing anything to the human body, there is always a chance of making things worse rather than better.

So conservative management (NSAIDs, rest, physio) is the first line of treatment for any patient with a labral tear.If the patient fails conservative management, and the symptoms are felt to relate to the diagnosed tear (usually diagnosed with an MRI arthrogram), then surgery is sometimes considered.

It’s true that the labral tear is not going to heal on its own.However, the symptoms from the labral tear can, and not uncommonly do, go away on their own, or with physio.This was presumably the hope with RNH.

Most patients are candidates for initial conservative management.

Regarding surgery to augment physical performance, the short answer is not in our lifetimes.Probably not ever.Despite what those ads about enhancing male genitalia say, it is generally not possible to make something function better with surgery.

Surgery always does damage.Damage gets repaired with scar.The result is alterations in the tissue biomechanics that the body does well to adjust to, but will never be as strong or feel the same as the way it was naturally made to feel and function.

In addition, there are several sets of nerves to every tissue in our bodies that provide specialized sensation and function.These are always damaged or sometimes annhilated with surgery.We can’t mend nerves, at least not easily.Small peripheral sensory (nonmotor) nerves can regrow very slowly, but not always.

One of the biggest challenges to reconstructive joint surgery is the loss of proprioception which is specialized nerve sensation that basically tells the brain where in space the limb is positioned relative to the rest of the body, the ground, etc.Without this, it places additional stress on the other structures and tissues in the joint making them more susceptible to injury.

Not having surgery is always better than having surgery.Surgery as a last resort, athlete, or nonathlete.

Overall, a glenoid labral tear is a pretty minor thing.As a teenager, he’ll do very well.If it was LT’s shoulder, we would have to be a little more cautious with our prognostications.

ashley,

Thanks Ashley,

Very informative. Not every blog has Ortho available for consult. But every Oilers blog should!

Question. Do rotator cuff muscles blow frequently on hockey players?

108. GordM says:

Congrats LT…Looking forward to tuning in.

Iginla’s house in Calgary is on the market. Does he have a place in St. Albert or am I recalling incorrectly? I’d stay away if it takes a 3+ year deal to land him for 1 or 2 at reasonable $s????

109. Mr DeBakey says:

Back in the old days, Wes Montgomery used to joke about his doctor, Ooops Needleman, on his Ched morning show

I’m reminded because “viral and bacterial pneumonia” is not caused by temperatures of four degrees.
    And a November til January time lag?

Paging Dr Needleman

110. Bar_Qu says:

ashley,

And then I realise I skipped Ashley’s view, which would have stopped my rant ahead of time.

Cursed short attention span.

Ditto the congrats!

By the time Todd Nelson was hired Colin MacDonald was on an AHL contract. Nelson had one year with him, and turned him into an NHL player. Prendergast ruined many of his draft selections by not have a clue how to build an AHL operation. Building an AHL organization was one thing Tambellini was good at.

The quickest way to improve an NHL team is by scouring the bottoms of NHL rosters and AHL rosters for value-for-money players, not offer Moreau and Staios like retirement contracts to Ryan Clowe.

The Islanders, being a non-cap team, at least until they move to Brooklyn, are also taking advantage of the 35+ market, because they can offer more term and money than cap teams. If a 35+ player retires on them, the contract just helps them get to the floor. And if the 35+ player begins to suck, they can just send him to the AHL to ride the buses, and coerce the player into retirement.

Mark Streit will be offered more term and money by the Islanders than the Oilers can on a 35+, so I don’t think the OIlers will get him.

I still want to offer sheet Gunnarsson near the max of the 2nd round compensation level.

112. delooper says:

Awesome! Regarding advertising, my law firm defends convicted pedophiles from spurious secondary lawsuits. We’d love to advertise on your show. For whatever reason, we’re finding it hard to get advertising space. Your offer is most gracious. I really have no idea what we could have done otherwise. You’re like an angel.

113. G Money says:

Congrats, LT! Looking forward to hearing you on the ol’ Marconi instead of just reading you on the ol’ Al Gore.

114. "Steve Smith" says:

thebiggestmanintheworld,

I appreciate your (entirely misplaced) interest, but “Steve Smith” is taking a mostly-hiatus from all things Lowetide for a while, because he’s noticed that he’s become a bit of a dick, and would rather not be one. Also, I can’t imagine what he’d contribute to a radio show, since he could hardly berate people for misspellings, and that’s more or less his entire game.

And, of course, congrats to Lowetide. Well-deserved, prince of a fellow, builder of community, etc., etc., etc.

The complaints about your hackneyed MSM perspectives begin tomorrow.

115. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:

Well of course he did. He’s got excellent hockey blood running through his veins and impeccable hockey sense. Anyone related to him carries the same hockey DNA.

116. Smarmy says:

godot10:
    Ditto the congrats!

By the time Todd Nelson was hired Colin MacDonald was on an AHL contract.Nelson had one year with him, and turned him into an NHL player. Prendergast ruined many of his draft selections by not have a clue how to build an AHL operation.Building an AHL organization was one thing Tambellini was good at.

And you’re right. Getting draft picks to succeed entails a lot more then simply drafting them. Too many times the Oilers organization failed players who could of helped the team the last decade had the resources and will for development been there.

117. Jordan says:

cabbiesmacker,

So what… you married his sister?

118. B S says:

ashley,

Great explanation of both shoulder surgery and surgical enhancement, though I wouldn’t entirely shoot down the idea depending on what time frame you were looking at for performance (any serious changes would stress you body long term, but that doesn’t preclude short term performance gains, similar to steroids, but with artificial tissues instead and I do realize that some acclimation and practice would be required to make full use of such an enhancement).

RE: draft. Seriously not getting the love-in for Monohan. Again, all I’ve seen and read suggests his high end will be Gagner (or at peak years he’ll have less offense and a little more defence). The Oilers have Gagner, they don’t need to wait another 5 years to get him again.

Re: tanking. Enough is enough, the young players on this team need some self respect. I’m tired of watching this team lose a lead and suddenly mail it in. At some point winning has to be more than just words, it has to be an action. Draft from 10th damnit.

Re: Calder trophy. Just venting because this has become a peeve of mine given recent Calder talk. Huberdeau will probably win (hard to argue against him) I would then put Gallagher in the finals along with Yakupov (yes hometown bias, but hear me out). A lot of talk has centered on Conacher, Saad, and Brodin.

Brodin has had a good defensive season, but does so with real NHL D-partners. He comes nowhere near Schultz in terms of production, and if no-one is talking about Schultz as rookie of the year then Brodin shouldn’t register either.

Conacher has a lot of buzz around him but his stats are almost identical to Yakupov’s, except +/- a heavily team dependent stat, and FO% because Conacher plays center. Yakupov is 4 years younger and lately has been the driving offensive force on his line. Yak’s stats are also better than Saads by most metrics. Just saying this because Yakupov hasn’t been mentioned in any of the ROY discussion despite posting an impressive rookie season.

119. supernova says:

godot10:
    Ditto the congrats!

The Islanders, being a non-cap team, at least until they move to Brooklyn, are also taking advantage of the 35+ market, because they can offer more term and money than cap teams.If a 35+ player retires on them, the contract just helps them get to the floor.And if the 35+ player begins to suck, they can just send him to the AHL to ride the buses, and coerce the player into retirement.

Almost agree entirely with your whole post, you added to what i was saying that Snow and the Islanders take a much different approach to their team building.

This reduction in Salary cap also works heavily in their favor.

I also don’t see why Streit would sign in Edmonton when NYI finally makes the playoffs this year, and they are almost as promising as Edmonton. It would be a step backwards for him and he might not have many more years.

I think we need to trade for our D need and hopefully sign our top 6 FWD in Free agency. Unless they could somehow get David Backes, he is the perfect fit for the oiler forwards right now. Move Gags to RW and trade Hemmer for a TOP D.

120. ashley says:

Henry,

I wouldn’t say that rotator cuff tear is very common in hockey players. RCT is a middle aged to elderly disease. Uncommon at <40yo, unless significant trauma. An awkward check in an NHL'er could certainly qualify, but pro level shoulder injuries tend to be labral tears, acromioclavicular separation, fractures (clavicle, humerus, glenoid) shoulder dislocation, capsular instability. The latter is not really an inury per se, as the athlete would be born with it, but predisposes to shoulder dislocations and other injuries.

Sometimes a hockey player with multdirectional instability will eventually wear out their rotator cuff in their 30's after multiple dislocations. We've had one of those on this team before.

Overhead throwing sports, wrestlers, and football players are far more susceptible to RCT at <40 due to the nature of the sports and the repetitive stress on the rotator cuff.

So if we put LT on the ice, and he hurts his shoulder, I might worry about his rotator cuff. After all, according to this post, he was an adult in 1980. His rotator cuff will probably be safe in the radio booth, however (congrats BTW).

121. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Smarmy: I won’t take credit from Tambi regarding the AHL improvements but I bet a big part of this equation comes down to Darryl Katz vs EIG.

When we look at shot attempts we discount short term events and get a better handle on what’s coming.

When we see broad improvements in player development we see real possibilities. If an organization’s developmental fundamentals are right and the cap structure is at least neutral the right GM and coach are starting half way to the finish line.

122. cabbiesmacker says:

Jordan:
    cabbiesmacker,

So what… you married his sister?

No but Mike Modano almost did.

We would share DNA if I married his sister? ??

Ick

123. cabbiesmacker says:

Ribs:
    EdmontonOilers

So players will be randomly drawing for BMW’s between periods of tonights game?

124. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

cabbiesmacker: So players will be randomly drawing for BMW’s between periods of tonights game?

No. After the warm up the players will vote on a HS who will then get a BMW for being a good sport.

125. stevezie says:

So you get your own radio show and I never have to hear Jim Rome again? In one quick move God makes the last six years up to Oilers fans.

126. JohnnyRocket says:

Congratulations! I’ll join in the chorus and say that they are very lucky to have you and that I’m excited to tune in.

127. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: When you get Kevin Lowe on the new show, please ask him for me(:P) :

- Kevin, you were, let’s face it, a complimentary player on the Oilers dynasty. What would your thoughts be on Katz were he to bring in say, Mark Messier as VP of hockey operations?

- Kevin, you appear to have isolated a large, if insignificant part of the Oiler fan base. One of my blog fans(feel free to quote me directly) wants to attend a live game, but feels unworthy in light of your comments. Is there anything you can say to help put his mind at rest?

- Kevin, despite being an excellent defenceman in your day, the current Oilers defence, to put it mildly, blows. With the good players starting to command more and more of the budget…oh, by the way, what’s a budget?

- Kevin, some of my blog post fans appear to believe that the reason you and MacT play favorites with Shawn Horcoff, and before him Ethan Moreau is due to the fact that, like both of you, these are bottom of the lineup players. Do you accept this opinion, and, do you think it will play havoc when you are forced to grovel to say, the Taylor Halls of the future?

PS: It might be a good idea to sit near the door.

Hunter: Well, I’ll do my best to get him on, but it’s a pretty busy show.

129. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Dellow on Oilers Now. Lowe on Lowetide. The other 2 horses are getting shoed as we speak.

130. Maverick says:

A little late to the party….but just wanted to say; Congrats LT!!! I look forward to your new gig from 10-12 on the team 1260!

131. B S says:

Not my prime listening time, but congrats and I’ll tune in when I can. You always provide thoughtful analysis, it will be refreshing from the stale old rhetoric spewed forth from most of the MSM these days.

132. PDO says:

Ashley,

Would you mind firing an e-mail to bak47 at hotmail dot com?

I’ve had the SLAP repair surgery and wouldn’t mind asking you some questions if you’re willing. Had a quick chat with Balyck and I’m waiting for a CT scan now after dislocating again (post surgery) but didn’t get many answers.

PDO:
    Ashley,

Would you mind firing an e-mail to bak47 at hotmail dot com?

I’ve had the SLAP repair surgery and wouldn’t mind asking you some questions if you’re willing.Had a quick chat with Balyck and I’m waiting for a CT scan now after dislocating again (post surgery) but didn’t get many answers.

If you’d stop jumping on and off the damn bandwagon……

Thanks for all the kinds words, ladies and fellows. It’s been a very nice day.

135. Genjutsu says:

Congrats LT: best Oilers news this year.

136. justDOit says:

Props to all who have voiced their dislike of the Rome show (spits). I would rather listen to all news, or golden oldies, or pink noise from a transmitter failure.

@Hunter – nice questions, but I think you’re subjecting LT to considerable risk there. Kind of like putting a pass to Lindros in his skates as he crosses the NJD blueline…

137. stevezie says:

This is a whole other topic, but the retroactive slagging of Kevin Lowe as a hockey player that appears to becoming en vogue is a prime example of why Edmonton has some of the most irratating fans in the league.

stevezie:

Interesting you say that, had a long discussion with a couple of buddies on that very same subject not long ago. Kevin Lowe at about 23 is EXACTLY what these team needs right now. He was a killer, an absolute killer.

139. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie:

No, seriously, this is worse than the early-mid 90s. I was there.

140. B S says:

stevezie,

They wouldn’t be slagging if KLowe hadn’t been bragging.

141. bookje says:

BlacqueJacque: To be fair, KLowe took a shit on fans first, and is also directly implicated with the worst period of Oilers hockey in history.

No, seriously, this is worse than the early-mid 90s.I was there.

Are you talking about his ‘two types of fans comments’ – Did you even hear it. Man, I get so tired of Edmontonians and the self-victimization woe is me attitude. If what Kevin Lowe said offends you, maybe you need to toughen up a bit.

142. bookje says:

"Steve Smith":
    thebiggestmanintheworld,

I appreciate your (entirely misplaced) interest, but “Steve Smith” is taking a mostly-hiatus from all things Lowetide for a while, because he’s noticed that he’s become a bit of a dick, and would rather not be one.Also, I can’t imagine what he’d contribute to a radio show, since he could hardly berate people for misspellings, and that’s more or less his entire game.

And, of course, congrats to Lowetide.Well-deserved, prince of a fellow, builder of community, etc., etc., etc.

The complaints about your hackneyed MSM perspectives begin tomorrow.

The Other day I found myself being pretty insufferable on Oilers Nation – so much so that I didn’t go back to the site to see what the follow up was. I guess its just that time of year.

143. BlacqueJacque says:

Also, if Lowe doesn’t want to be criticized for his record as a player, then when asked about his culpability in putting together one of the worst records in league history as manager/sock puppet string puller, he needs to shut the fuck up about his record as Gretzky/Messier’s tag-along.

144. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

I’m talking about the entire God damned embarrassment of a press conference.

Lowe is unfit for a management role. End of story.

145. Milli says:

Congrats LT!!!! I am I had never read you until you joined the nation, but you have become my fav read everyday! Wish I lived in Etown so I could listen regularly, but I will look forward to it when I make my trecks to Edmonton on the Game Days I am one of the PAYING customers! Was wondering your take on the national guys (tsn reporters and CBC hotstove) opinions of MacT getting a great job, because it cannot get any worse? Tell me it can’t, PLEASE!!!! Man I live in BC, but close to Calgary, so it has been a long and painful SEVEN years! But I am still and always will fly the OILERS flag above my store!

Milli: MacT is in a nice situation, no doubt about it. The team now is off the rails, they might win one more this season but they’re on the beach. Can’t tell a thing about this team based on anything since MacT’s announcement.

147. Halfwise says:

Rocknrolla: Halfwise,

I would recommend Tune In Radio, I use it on iPhone and Ipad.There is something that feels like home, being able to be walking down the street in New York, and listening live to Ched or the Team, and keeping up with the Oil.Its a good app, and also allows you to record shows too.

Also, if you miss a show, I find that the soundcloud site for Team 1260 works great in the browser on iPhone too, and you can effectively stream an archived show.Quite useful if you are in a further time zone!

Hope that helps

Excellent, thank you!

148. B S says:

bookje,

I think the “two kinds of fans” thing was overblown to (just like the CBC shitting all over Yak’s tweets about the HNIC Punjabi broadcast), the MSM needs to get bent, or maybe some of us need to just tune them out and only tune into team 1260 at 10am weekday mornings. Tell all your friends.

But Lowe was arguing from Authority, rather than with logic or even competence, so if he thinks logic consists of “6 rings” as a player, makes him championship quality management, then maybe the argument that he was a mediocre player will convince him (or Katz) he’s not that great at management. The point is that he needs his ego cut down and hard so it’s time to permeate the idea that he was only riding the coattails of others to those championships.

149. Minister D- says:

Congratulations, LT! Looking forward to it. The wife’s also looking forward to it; she loves hockey stories, and you tell some of the best.

150. ashley says:

PDO,

Sorry, I’d love to help, but I can’t really. I’ve never found the long-distance internet medical advice thing works very well. Every situation is quite unique, and requires in-person consuItation/examination. I get in enough trouble with my own family.

I will say you are in great hands with Robert Balyk. Good luck!

151. MrSmitty says:

Congrats LT, I may actually start to tune into AM radio thanks to you. Go ducks :(

152. jimbones100 says:

Interesting thought that given a full 82 game schedule this team would find it’s way to the bottom again. Hard to argue with that.

This is the suckiest, group of sucks that ever did suck. (or something like that)

153. hunter1909 says:

I find myself cheering for the Red Wings. I haven’t cheered for them since 1990, when they blew.

I love the way they’re valiantly winning games with something on the line, unlike dynasty plug Kevin Lowe’s Oilers, who blow every single opportunity ever to improve their position in the eyes of their fans, the opposition etc.

bookje: Man, I get so tired of Edmontonians and the self-victimization woe is me attitude. If what Kevin Lowe said offends you, maybe you need to toughen up a bit.

Really?

154. sliderule says:

Where did all the posters go?

On the golf course?

Not!!

155. Ryan says:

B S,

Well, I like the six rings argument.

Colin Fraser has 2, so maybe he’s in line for an assistant GM job with the Oilers when he retires. Who knows, he might have 3 rings by then.

156. delooper says:

Will we be able to listen to your radio show for free or should we find ways to pirate it over the interwebs?

157. rich says:

sliderule,

What, the OIlers are playing tonite?

158. BlacqueJacque says:

sliderule,

I’m reading a new book.

159. stevezie says:

I’m not even asking that people take a reasoned look at what Lowe was clumsily trying to say or see the positives in his management history. He has earned his enemies- but pretending seven all-star appearances (seven!) and six cups was a fluke is making the same mistake Lowe made in the Comrie-Perry affair. Don’t let hurt feelings and emotions turn you into an idiot! An absolute idiot! (Which he was and you are if you think he fits the bill of “complimentary player”.)

Saying that his present deficiencies as a manager somehow diminish his past accomplishments as a player is like saying hearing “I Just Called to Say I Love You” and declaring “Superstitious” a bad song.
    Actually, no, those are at least both songs. It would be more like… if Pete Townsend went on to run a Tower Records into the ground we all pretended that he was a mediocre guitarist who was carried by the greatest rhythm section of all time.
    Give the Devil his due.

160. B S says:

Ryan,

Do towel boys get cup rings, ’cause I’m liking Joey “5 cup” Moss for team President.

161. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque:
    sliderule,

I’m reading a new book.

Liar, your watching the Voice

delooper:

Either way, you can listen live at Team 1260 or use your transistor.

163. delooper says:

stevezie:
    Give the Devil his due.

If we’re taking things to extreme, then if Hitler actually was a good painter….

164. Ryan says:

BlacqueJacque:
    bookje,

I’m talking about the entire God damned embarrassment of a press conference.

Lowe is unfit for a management role.End of story.

Yeah, I’m sure Katz wasn’t thrilled after that PR disaster.

What’s funny though is I used to know a magician back in the day.

One of his magic tricks was predicated on a simple premise.

It’s probably going to be the jack of spades.

In other words, you’d have to imagine that when the heat was cranked up on Six Rings!, he probably didn’t pull the two types of customer philosophy out of a hat–it’s just what the pressure shook loose.

The tea leaves are telling us that they’ve probably had recent discussions about their paying customers after an another epic fail of a season. I would imagine there’s some fear whether real or imagined that the results this season has the potential to start hurting the bottom line. And that really matters…

I would guess that fear is what prompted the change.

165. B S says:

goal

166. VanOil says:

Good shift from the second line. Lander does not look out of place with more talented players than he is used too.

167. B S says:

another goal

168. Spartacus says:

If the Oilers ever make the playoffs again, Taylor Hall is going to have the most righteous playoff beard.

Seriously, even if the series only goes 4 games, he’ll be the playoff beard MVP.

It’s like he’s half werewolf, half man and half scoring chance generator.

And the Ducks score again.

169. VanOil says:

Spartacus,

I have a pet theory that it is Nuge’s playoff beard that will determine the Oilers Stanley cup destiny. As soon as he can grow one we will win one. One day we will all toast to Nuge’s beard, like dwarves in a Peter Jackson movie.

170. Genjutsu says:

BlacqueJacque,

You’re way off here K Lowe was a beauty. Anyone who thinks he was not great Oiler and instrumental to all of the Championship teams needs to go back and watch the games.

171. BlacqueJacque says:

Genjutsu,

I’m not saying KLowe was a bad player.

I’m saying that when he’s asked about his responsibility in building a terrible team, hiring a sock puppet to cover for his terrible moves, and now hiring another ex-Oiler with strong loyalties to himself, Lowe defaults to “nanana I can’t hear you because I’ve got 6 Cup rings” bullshit. Cup rings won 20-30 years ago as a player have nothing to do with building a successful team as general manager. If people are upset he’s being criticized for his tag-along role (and he really was replaceable – I’m sure we can find 20 better defencemen at any point in the 80s or 90s), then he shouldn’t bring it up when defending a completely unrelated point.

172. Smarmy says:

Finished watching the Jays crap out and tune in to see the Oilers down 2-0. Man I have to quit watching sports…. or at least rooting for terrible teams.

173. VanOil says:

Yak being the net presence for Hall. He might be very un-enigmatic Russian, but it is an enigma that one young man can have so much raw hockey desire.

BlacqueJacque:
    Genjutsu,

I’m not saying KLowe was a bad player.

I’m saying that when he’s asked about his responsibility in building a terrible team, hiring a sock puppet to cover for his terrible moves, and now hiring another ex-Oiler with strong loyalties to himself, Lowe defaults to “nanana I can’t hear you because I’ve got 6 Cup rings” bullshit.Cup rings won 20-30 years ago as a player have nothing to do with building a successful team as general manager.If people are upset he’s being criticized for his tag-along role (and he really was replaceable – I’m sure we can find 20 better defencemen at any point in the 80s or 90s), then he shouldn’t bring it up when defending a completely unrelated point.

Yeah, I think you definitely don’t remember the 1980s.

175. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque,

Well played sir! Now if only you can convince Shakira to read it too you.

176. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: i.e. if you and I are talking about the jack of spades and a few hours later you’re put on the spot in an audience of 300 people and asked to name the first card that you think of…
    It’s probably going to be the jack of spades.
    I would guess that fear is what prompted the change.

Brilliant post.

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Regardless of my exaggeration for effect of KLowe’s effectiveness as a hockey player, my point stands – his accomplishments as a player don’t matter with respect to his role as GM/Hand in the Sock Puppet.

BlacqueJacque:

No one is arguing that, it’s the things you’re saying about him as a player that is getting a response. He had a nice run as GM 2000-06, with a huge spike in 2006 spring. Since then he hasn’t been able to put a string of good decisions together.

179. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

stevezie,

Both of you are right. Kevin Lowe was an outstanding defenceman. Bums don’t win 6 cups.

That said, if he wants to play Dr. Mengele with the fan base, in the opinion of many he needs to be run out of town on a rail; and once the chickens are plucked that tar gets hot – you might as well forget about civility.

Edmonton might read today’s media and think it’s p.c. But it’s still redneck country.

180. rickithebear says:

BlacqueJacque:
    bookje,

I’m talking about the entire God damned embarrassment of a press conference.

Lowe is unfit for a management role.End of story.

Have you worked with corporate managers!

You are confused!

181. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: No one is arguing that, it’s the things you’re saying about him as a player that is getting a response. He had a nice run as GM 2000-06, with a huge spike in 2006 spring.

In other words, he made a decent small market small budget no hope manager, who could cobble together mediocre teams that overachieved. But once he was given the same resources as the big boys, he simply fell flat on his face.

182. GordM says:

Oh Radek…

I’ll keep thinking of that goal you scored against Dallas (late in game 4 to make the series 2-2 IIRC) and forgive you for what you now do to our city.

If Memory serves…I was in the building that night and there was a clock issue that stopped the game for about 3 solid minutes late in the third. The decibel level was incredible the entire time.

Lordy this town needs a playoff game.

183. Gret99zky says:

Is it too early to predict a playoff appearance next year?

184. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: I have a pet theory that it is Nuge’s playoff beard that will determine the Oilers Stanley cup destiny. As soon as he can grow one we will win one.

He’ll look like James Hetfield.

Gret99zky:
    Is it too early to predict a playoff appearance next year?

186. BlacqueJacque says:

Seriously though, Lowe was not a top-10 defenceman in the league. He was no Chris Pronger, no Niedermayer, Potvin or Lidstrom nor even a MacInnis, Stevens, or Chelios. He carried no team to the Cup finals. He was, at times, an important piece, at other times (particularly the peak years and the NYR Cup) a valuable but not invaluable low-event minute-eater.

To brag about his 6 rings is like hearing from Toni Kukoc that he won the NBA championship 3 times. Sure, with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

If people don’t like Lowe being criticized for his accomplishments as a player – and yeah, he was a top-pairing guy most of his career, and that spent mostly on good teams – then he needs to STFU about his accomplishments as a player after shitting on his own fans after he’s questioned about his responsibility in building a bad team.

I get why you want to defend him, but the arrogant prick brought it on himself.

187. VanOil says:

Mr. Lowe was one of my all time favorite players. He was underrated as a player, despite his trophy case, in my opinion. But, he would not be asked to speak to the media if I owned the company.

His nepotistic appointment of MacT comes directly from his early management training. His mentor HHOF team builder Glen Sather was the one set up this boys on the bus value system. Best described as Once an Oiler always and Oiler. Sather under Pocklington *spits* wanted to mold the young Oilers franchise into a institution like the Montreal Canadian. The young uncouth team like the young uncouth city and province that they represented needed to build traditions. He did, they did and I am thankful for them. Unfortunately traditions can become a burden, at time like this when new thinking is required to deal with a historically awful turn of results. So blame Slats for the boys on the bus, he will take it as praise.

Kevin is on his own though when it comes for having a tin ear and a poor response to legitimate questions. Oilers fans might be taking them in a thin skinned manor, but we have earned the thin skin the hard way, much like our number one picks.

188. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Yes

Feaster did.

189. VanOil says:

hunter1909: He’ll look like James Hetfield.

He will have to summer in Finland, they love there Metal.

190. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: His mentor HHOF team builder Glen Sather

Would have this team in the playoffs already.

191. pboy says:

VanOil:

Bang on, great post.

FWIW, Lowe was a member of the 1984 Canada Cup team and if he hadn’t of been injured, he would have been a member of the 1987 team as well. Those Canada Cup teams were the equivalent of the Olympic teams now. Only the special guys make the Team Canada Olympic roster back to back. I’m not saying but I’m just saying. Lowe would be a HHOFer if he had the same career for an Eastern team.

192. Jamie says:

Congrats LT, you deserve it. The girls at work were not excited when I told them they were going to have to listen to sports talk radio in the mornings though. Great stuff.

193. VanOil says:

hunter1909: Would have this team in the playoffs already.

Maybe Lowe and MacT should have WWSD (What Would Slats Do) monogrammed on there shirt sleeves. I wonder if Eberle still wears his Andrew Cogliano monogrammed shirts? Didn’t he inherit some during the trade?

BlacqueJacque:

Seriously though, Lowe was not a top-10 defenceman in the league.He was no Chris Pronger, no Niedermayer, Potvin or Lidstrom nor even a MacInnis, Stevens, or Chelios.He carried no team to the Cup finals.He was, at times, an important piece, at other times (particularly the peak years and the NYR Cup) a valuable but not invaluable low-event minute-eater.

To brag about his 6 rings is like hearing from Toni Kukoc that he won the NBA championship 3 times.Sure, with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

I get why you want to defend him, but the arrogant prick brought it on himself.

No one has said any of this. NO ONE said Lowe was Pronger, NO ONE. Seriously, you have to let this go. He was a helluva defenseman, I would say he was probably among the 20 best D in the league at one time (at a guess). That’s a valuable player. And he did it for a decade, that’s a long time for a defenseman.

No argument about his management since 2006 and of course his press conference was a complete derailment.

But on the issue of his being a journeyman defensemen, no sale.

195. delooper says:

If you were looking for a Sather-like player from the 80′s oiler roster who would it be? Linesman? Perhaps he’s too talented.

196. Genjutsu says:

I love Ryan Smyth.

197. hunter1909 says:

pboy: Lowe would be a HHOFer if he had the same career for an Eastern team.

So. Playing for a dynasty isn’t good enough? As for the Canada Cup, didn’t Sather pick those teams?

I like Lowe as a player too, but please, let’s not start lobbying him for more ego enhancements.

198. hunter1909 says:

Yaks is starting to throw his weight around, lol.

Newer Comments »