FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)

Saturday night was one of those nights we’ll remember for a long while–winning a big game against a superior opponent is a tough assignment–but tonight’s game is just as important. The Calgary Flames may be minus Jarome Iginla but that doesn’t mean they’ll lay down for the upstart Oilers. It is–as they say–a huge game at Rexall tonight.

CALGARY IS SIN CITY

Jim Matheson got the story yesterday–all of it. A very good article in the EJ laid it all out for Oiler fans in regard to Laddy Smid and contract.

• Smid: “I’d like a five years, around that term. Yeah five years at $3.5 million (a season), that would be nice. I’d be more than happy with that. Obviously you look around and see what other guys are making. I do think we’re getting closer (to a deal).  Negotiations are pretty good right now. We have three days left and I’m really hopeful  we’ll get a deal done. Obviously we have to have something done by Wednesday. I would hate to be traded.  We have a great thing going on now and I’d hate to leave.”

I’ve been hard on Smid over the years, he learned on the job at the NHL level and that wasn’t fair to him or the fanbase. However, if he’s willing to sign that contract then Oiler fans like me should understand it for what it is–a substantial reduction in what he could get on the free market and a massive gesture to the Oilers and the fanbase. I don’t think we can see it any other way.

UPDATE: Oilers just tweeted out a 4-year deal at $3.5M a season. Great contract.

CALGARY IS FULL OF LOLLYGAGGERS

Oilers called up Anton Lander, but he won’t play tonight. He’s here as insurance.

• Krueger: “Bringing up another player puts pressure on people, keeps the other 12 forwards honest. He’s a versatile player, a good depth player. He can move up and down the lineup. The six points he had (Saturday) doesn’t hurt.”

Oilers have a 23.8% chance of making the playoffs this morning, and a win tonight puts them into the “real chance” to make the post-season category. What’s more they are on track with reasonable expectations at this time:

2012-13 PROJECTION (48 GAMES)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 131
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 138 (including 7 EN goals)
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.73 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.88 (2.83 last season)

2012-13 ACTUAL (34 games)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 85
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 92
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.50 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.71 (2.83 last season)

Minus 7 projected, minus 7 in fact after 34 games. It’s been a crazy year, but the Oilers are finally scoring at reasonable levels 5×5, and they also boast the 4th best powerplay and 7th best penalty kill.

5×5/60 (FORWARDS)

1. Taylor Hall 2.94
  2. Sam Gagner 2.16
  3. Jordan Eberle 1.89
  4. Ales Hemsky 1.59
  5. Shawn Horcoff 1.52
  6. Nail Yakupov 1.39
  7. Magnus Paajarvi 1.39
  8. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.29
  9. Lennart Petrell 1.22

Hall’s number is tied for 10th in the NHL among regulars, and 3rd among western conference players who have been in 20 games or more (he trails Matt Cullen and Jonathan Toews). Hall–at 21–is ripping up the toughest hockey conference on the planet 5×5. Coach Krueger has him getting supreme zone starts and the qual comp suggests Hall is getting a push there too, with the result being some quality  even strength scoring. That’s a nice number for Samwise, too.

CALGARY IS NOT HELL, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM THERE!

“With the 83/84 season, the Oilers revolution in playing style began to make its influence felt on the league. The tight defensive style of the Islanders, depending on big players and clutch-and-grab tactics to slow opponents down, was proving ineffective against the Oilers as teams tried to hold them in check. Sather had emphasized speed and finesse in building the team, and the Oilers could not be stopped by trying to stand up to them at the blue line, or clogging the neutral zone. They played a creative, high tempo passing game that took the action aggressively to opponents. Five up was how the style came to be described, Oiler forwards were on top of opponents defensemen and the Oilers defensemen moved up to engage the forwards. “

Douglas Hunter, the Glory Barons.

gyj.jpg

This is a huge game, ladies and gents. Tonight, the Edmonton Oilers can win and move into a playoff spot as we head toward the deadline. The Oilers could add–Streit, Glencross, a center–and could subtract too. It may be wise to do both–but first they must win tonight to give themselves the very best chance available to them.

Godspeed, young men. Thanks so much for giving us something real to cheer for, after so many, many days, months and years of losses. After a generation on gravel, you’ve finally reached the blacktop.

628 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)"

« Older Comments
  1. icecastles says:

spoiler: Judging by the “Wait” and past posting excellence, I’d say IC was joking on the Faust thing.

On the topic of Krueger’s book, I actually am very curious to read it (I devour management and leadership books, and I’m becoming a pretty enormous RK fan) so thanks to Gerta, Romulous and DeadManWaking for the info. Might have to convince my quadrilingual girlfriend to read it to me.

I’d love to hear if Krueger would still endorse the book. It’s more than a few years ago now since he wrote it… time for an English translation? Would have done gangbusters if it were available after that HNIC segment.

2. Ducey says:

Woodguy: I think you can “Wilson” other GM’s while trying to make the playoffs.

Doug Wilson dumps his garbage on other GMs and they pay him for it.

Murray and Handzus were the two worst RelCor on the team.

He cleared out chaff and got 2 nds and a third and SJS hasn’t lost since Murray left.

Can send Whitney, Jones and Khabby away and the team will get better.

Need Tambellini to “Wilson” a few guys.

For sure. If someone asked to talk to a half dead Kipper today, the same Kipper with the .868 save %, then you can trade almost anyone (except Belanger and Petrell).

3. asiaoil says:

Zelepukin:
    Tambo needs to Wilson Wilson and trade him Whitney for those 2 rnd picks.

Whitney, Jones, Belanger, Eager, Petrell, Peckham – any or all can go with no ill effect. Bulin actually won us a couple games on his own this year so it would not make me sad to keep him and see if he can do it one or two more times.

4. icecastles says:

According the the website and Google Translate, hisRK’s book is centered around five principles he has developed over the years:

Think

Be

Pursuit

Do

Life

So as far as Google Translate can tell me, his philosophy is based on the Trainspotting soliloquy poster that covered dorm room walls like a plague in the 90s.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: Thanks, Spoiler! I was indeed joking. SNet fellow pronounced it so close to “Faust” that the lightbulb went on and I couldn’t resist.

google translate will help with the website, which has a lot of the book in bullet form IIRC.

if you are really interested you might email him, or his manager/agent whomever, in the offseason and he may (depending on how copyright concerned he is) send you his presentation notes (I’m sure he must have lectured the book in English at some point right?)

Ducey: For sure.If someone asked to talk to a half dead Kipper today, the same Kipper with the .868 save %, then you can trade almost anyone (except Belanger and Petrell).

You have to think that is a pedigree signing, right? delusional aged depth.

6. spoiler says:

Jones for a third. Whitney for a 2nd and a 3rd (there has to be a standing offer at least of this level considering Regehr and Murray). Peckham for a 5th. And I will be happy.

Neither Calgary or Colorado are going to trade with us, and the good players on Philly and Florida are all hurt. There’s not much out there to sell to us. Buffalo, Tampa, Dallas and Phoenix. Buffalo is probably done dealing defensemen. Everyone but the 35 yo Robidas on Dallas is signed to term. Yandle is alleged to be available from the Yotes and would be a great fit, but is rumoured to be very costly. Unfortunately we can’t trade them Belanger back for Lombardi. That leaves Tampa, who is certain to be dangling Salo, although he has a year to go at $3.75M. Brewer has to good of a contract to be traded. Campbell could probably be had from Florida.

So I really don’t see where we can improve our D without giving a vast overpay to Phoenix, or taking a big risk like Campbell, or eating a year on an old Robidas or an injury prone guy like Salo.

Which is also why Whitney should be worth a bundle by Wednesday.
    :o)

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles:

Think

Be

Pursuit

Do

Life

not quite the OODA loop then?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Krueger post-game.

RE: hemsky “in his defense it’s something we can’t talk about”

what does that mean?

9. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: RE: hemsky “in his defense it’s something we can’t talk about”

what does that mean?

Risk of the injury being targeted.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Risk of the injury being targeted.

ahh… of course. something about the way he said it made me think it had nothing to do with hockey, like it was a privacy issue or something.

11. icecastles says:

what does that mean?

Oh god. It’s gonna be pubitis.

12. delooper says:

what does that mean?

Probably those are the words of a guy that’s running out of convenient and polite ways to duck questions.

13. spoiler says:

icecastles: Oh god. It’s pubitis.

Wouldn’t be fair on the guy to have his pubitis targeted.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: Oh god. It’s gonna be pubitis.

he probably had one of those 4 hour erections the commercials warn you about.

15. maudite says:

In an ideal world, Detroit falls short and the Oilers make it. Put a huge question mark on the UFA march to motor city on a discount “because it’s Detroit”

16. Zelepukin says:

Either way he left the game and that’s not good news.

asiaoil,

Tamblowmac sitting on their god damn hands while Horc was injured killed their chances.

Agreed.

Not doing the little things right when the top 6 are as good as they are is terrible.

Basicaly buring another year for no good reason.

asiaoil:
    Woodguy,

EDM has their next 4 on the road and then mostly at home. STL has their next 5 of 6 on the road and then mostly at home. We’ll have a pretty good idea where it stands by the time both teams finish this stretch – and unless we are clearly ahead of them at that point – it’s unlikely. STL must lose a lot of these upcoming road games.

Woud be great if they came back from the road trips tied.

19. Beaker says:

maudite,

No, in an ideal world we’d beat the blues out of the playoffs and move calgarys first round to next year.

20. Ducey says:

So in June 2011 the Calgary Flames (Feaster was GM) traded Robyn Regehr, Ales Kotalik and a 2nd round selection in 2012 to the Buffalo Sabres for Chris Butler and Paul Byron

Now Buffalo gets two second round picks for an older, rental Regehr.

Feaster is not a good GM.

Ducey:

Now Buffalo gets two second round picks for an older, rental Regehr.

Feaster is not a good GM.

I loved Feaster saying the market for Jbo was limited because of his contract size next year.

Apparently he missed the fact that teams can retain salary in a trade for just such an occasion.

Retaining $2MM or so for one year to get the prospect you want is a no brainer.

I don’t know if he went to Edwards with that and was shut down, but given how Feaster is talking, I kinda doubt it.

22. stevezie says:

Woodguy:
    asiaoil,

Agreed.

Basicaly buring another year for no good reason.

Look at me! I was right! About everything! Including the Johnson trade (or lackthereof)!

Kneel!!!

stevezie: This is completely true. You know what else was completely true? Everything I said would happen with Smid! i was going to humbly enjoy my clairvoyance privately, but after watching Woodguy spend the better part of a thread pulling his shoulder patting himself on the back I want in. If it’s good enough for Woodguy, you know it’s good enough for this guy.

Kneel!!!

We should all be our own #1 fan in life.

24. spoiler says:

April 1: Fool’s Day
    April 2: Revisionist History Day under Stalin

25. DeadmanWaking says:

As nice as it is to wake up to a 4-0 score for the second time this week, my gut tells me this team is going to let just enough points slip through their fingers due to growing pains to finish as bridesmaids.

My happy wallowing in tonight’s 4-0 glory didn’t last long: the boxscore refreshed showing the late Calgary goal as I finished scanning the TOI column and began to mouth the phrase “Sweet, back to back shut-outs for the Dube.” Just great, the Jinx has ginned-up a lambent, piss-warm tank and plumbed-in some precogs. Now even thinking about trying not to say it won’t save you.

I’m on the Boost again for the fourth and last double-header. Last night I was in such a tinny chemical stew that I couldn’t write a coherent paragraph. My sentences were fine. I wrote one good sentence after another. But whenever I strung them together it was like walking over a floating bridge of giant inner tubes. This would be a fabulous effect if confined to one character in a novel whose inner life consists of beating down rubber-rake erections of plump pnuminous Goodyeerios. Maybe last night that man was me. It’s not a fabulous effect when you can’t help it.

(I didn’t quite attain my ogooglebar quota with “pnuminous” as Google unshucks “numinous” and “pneumatic” I think suggests itself.)

Usually I sit down with one major theme. I’ve discovered that this is the main struggle of the Murakami “running program”. Normally–in my right mind–I rarely struggle to come up with something to say. It’s not so hard as feared to refill the tank, night after night. What is tough at this pace is that you dip into the tank the next morning and you bring up a big ladle-full of disconnected fragments. It’s the clumping and clustering process that feels pressed. In fish-wrap school they ask you “What’s your angle?” Until you have an angle, it’s just the same old stuff. An angle is a waypoint in dogshit park that kinks the beeline over untrampled ground, all the better to freshly slick your gumboots. Angles aren’t my thing: too transactional. I’m usually straining for gyres. Lately, gyrencephala unwound: loose flotsam is not wending into distinct sworls.

So I have two themes duking it out: Krueger, sex, Krueger, sex, Krueger, sex. Let’s start with sex, because Mating in Captivity returns tomorrow to sandalwood purgatory. It begs, it pleads, but I cannot liberate it from its public library tattoo.

Here’s the passage that most surprised me:

[Ray] was not like the guys Joni usually dated–struggling, self-absorbed, emotionally undependable, alcoholic artists who weaseled out of relationships by saying things like, “Let’s not try to define this; can’t we just see where it goes?” and “It’s because I like you that I can’t be with you.”

[Ray was punctual, prepared, and attentive.] “He asked me questions about myself and [actually] remembered the answers. I was used to a scene where you can have sex with someone for six months and never even broach the subject of what that might mean or where it might be going.

Whoa, pony! “Let’s not try to define this” slammed as a weasel’s prerogative? This is not typical of Perels in the rest of the book. And it’s even weirder when she devotes an entire chapter, The Shadow of the Third to loosening the girth strap on blinkered monogamy.

I question the widespread view that infidelity is always a symptom of deeper problems in a relationship. Affairs are motivated by a myriad of forces; not all of them are directly related to flaws in the marriage. As it happens, plenty of adulterers are reasonably content in their relationships. So was Doug. But he wanted more. He couldn’t articulate what it was exactly, only that it had something to do with more frequent sex.

About half this book is marred by page-long excursions to Oprah-ville. Poor tongue-tied Doug, who doesn’t have his finger on the pulse.

For him, [tumultuous sex with Naomi] is a place of emotional nourishment and a sanctuary. … Through sex he reaches an egoless oblivion that makes him feel at one with the world. Passion grants Doug ultimate relief from the unbearable aloneness of being. “It’s like I’m gone; it washes everything out. That kind of absolute focus, total attention, somehow releases me from myself. I stop thinking, the sensation washes up through my spine, through my brain, and out. But there’s no observing of what’s going on.” With Naomi, Doug is able to maintain this high-octane, transcendent sex [in part] because erotically they are made of the same cloth.

Poor tongue-tied, inscrutable Doug. Women sometimes dig too deep. Child, hand, cookie jar, concealed crumbs. Have I left anything out?

The good stuff in this chapter is the section The Shadow of the Third.

All relationships live in the shadow of the third, for it is the other that solders our dyad. In his book Monogamy, Adam Phillips writes, “The couple is a resistance to the intrusion of the third, but in order for it to last it is indispensable for it to have enemies. That is why the monogamous can’t live without them. When we are two, we are together. In order to form a couple, we need to be three.”

What then is a couple to do? Many of the patients I meet simply refuse to acknowledge the third. They’re drawn by the lure of oneness, which insists that there is no need for others. Perfect love is sufficient unto itself. So fragile is the fusion that the presence of another, even in fantasy, is powerful enough to shatter it.

Trouble looms when monogamy is no longer a free expression of loyalty for a form of enforced compliance. Excessive monitoring can set the stage for what Stephen Mitchell calls “acts of exuberant defiance.” When the third is denied, some people decide to negotiate it privately. … When the third is exiled to somewhere, only permitted outside the marriage, that is where he is sought.

I think it’s almost an exaggeration to distance this so far as “third”. At a coffee shop I frequent, there’s one woman who works there who almost exactly hits the seam on what I find attractive and what leaves me cold. It’s like one of those freaky young-woman / old-woman optical illusions. Just a shift of her posture flips her from hot to cold. Is she some kind of freak? No. The freak here is my internal wiring. She just happens to snag on some weird dividing line in my personal hot-or-not sexual fishnet. I’m perceiving an odd snag in my own sexual fishnet when eying her over. There’s another woman working there who pretty much defines the outer boundary of my sexual comfort zone. She possesses a double measure of the vitality of the human animal, projecting some kind of subliminal “all there” vitality I don’t think she could hide if she tried. She’s physically attractive, but everything else about her is completely opaque to me. She must live in a world consisting of people way more cool than I’ve ever been, and I’m guessing this goes back a generation or two. I think to myself, “for that package, I might risk spreading my wings”.

But I’m not in the least thinking about abandoning my favourite and most adorable lemon tree. I’m thinking about myself. I’m thinking about who I’ve been, and who I might be. I’m reminding myself how fragile confidence really is. With this woman I’d be at sea without a compass–a wild, stormy, turbulent sea with never a dull moment. I remember fear. I remember my fear of how sex can churn your intestines inside out and crochet hook them into a door mat. I remember that fear is pretty damn exciting. For a man–if I may speak so boldly–nothing brings the self to roost so much as the feminine form. A woman in herself is but an instance (a glorious instance) of something much bigger: the great unknowable of the other half. It’s a good thing that the other half comes to us in specific forms–sometimes an enduring specific form–but it’s far from the only thing.

Rather than inhibiting a couple’s sexuality, recognizing the third has a tendency to add spice, not least because it reminds us that we do not own our partners. We should not take them for granted. In uncertainty lies the seed of wanting. In addition, when we establish the seed of psychological distance, we, too, can peek at our partner with the admiring eyes of a stranger, noticing once again what habit has prevented us from seeing.

The last thing to say about this book concerns men and women and emotionality. I think it’s wrong to perceive men and women as opposites. The masculine and the feminine are more like reversals. Men crow about their social aggression (when successful), women prefer to hush it over. Women project their emotionality outwards, men prefer to hide it. One neurological study showed that the emotional brain centers in men were more active than in women (I forget the task and context). Men are highly emotional in the heat of the battle, but not at the forefront. This book suggests that for many men, sexual experience is the only way to fully step inside all this intense masculine emotion that’s normally pressed to the margins, like so many halberds fastened to the walls of the jousting floor.

Where women define, men objectify. Isn’t the feminine quest for “definition” just the objectification of passion? That makes it sound too harsh, doesn’t it? But then by the same token to fixate on the male sexual objectification of women is also too harsh, most of the time. Fortunately, this “clash of the gonads” caricature is usually confined to a dangerous undertow in an otherwise transcendent pool; but don’t take that for granted–keep yourself at all times in good ducking order.

I’ve been thinking while writing this about Krueger: motivation, confidence, self-awareness, togetherness, honesty, and positive communication. It’s a lot of the same stuff.

26. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking,

Your gnuminous Goodyearios pneed more meat glue.

27. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

Every day I go out there and try to earn my own love and respect.

« Older Comments