FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)

Saturday night was one of those nights we’ll remember for a long while–winning a big game against a superior opponent is a tough assignment–but tonight’s game is just as important. The Calgary Flames may be minus Jarome Iginla but that doesn’t mean they’ll lay down for the upstart Oilers. It is–as they say–a huge game at Rexall tonight.

CALGARY IS SIN CITY

Jim Matheson got the story yesterday–all of it. A very good article in the EJ laid it all out for Oiler fans in regard to Laddy Smid and contract.

• Smid: “I’d like a five years, around that term. Yeah five years at $3.5 million (a season), that would be nice. I’d be more than happy with that. Obviously you look around and see what other guys are making. I do think we’re getting closer (to a deal).  Negotiations are pretty good right now. We have three days left and I’m really hopeful  we’ll get a deal done. Obviously we have to have something done by Wednesday. I would hate to be traded.  We have a great thing going on now and I’d hate to leave.”

UPDATE: Oilers just tweeted out a 4-year deal at $3.5M a season. Great contract.

CALGARY IS FULL OF LOLLYGAGGERS

Oilers called up Anton Lander, but he won’t play tonight. He’s here as insurance.

• Krueger: “Bringing up another player puts pressure on people, keeps the other 12 forwards honest. He’s a versatile player, a good depth player. He can move up and down the lineup. The six points he had (Saturday) doesn’t hurt.”

Oilers have a 23.8% chance of making the playoffs this morning, and a win tonight puts them into the “real chance” to make the post-season category. What’s more they are on track with reasonable expectations at this time:

2012-13 PROJECTION (48 GAMES)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 131
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 138 (including 7 EN goals)
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.73 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.88 (2.83 last season)

2012-13 ACTUAL (34 games)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 85
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 92
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.50 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.71 (2.83 last season)

Minus 7 projected, minus 7 in fact after 34 games. It’s been a crazy year, but the Oilers are finally scoring at reasonable levels 5×5, and they also boast the 4th best powerplay and 7th best penalty kill.

5×5/60 (FORWARDS)

1. Taylor Hall 2.94
  2. Sam Gagner 2.16
  3. Jordan Eberle 1.89
  4. Ales Hemsky 1.59
  5. Shawn Horcoff 1.52
  6. Nail Yakupov 1.39
  7. Magnus Paajarvi 1.39
  8. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.29
  9. Lennart Petrell 1.22

Hall’s number is tied for 10th in the NHL among regulars, and 3rd among western conference players who have been in 20 games or more (he trails Matt Cullen and Jonathan Toews). Hall–at 21–is ripping up the toughest hockey conference on the planet 5×5. Coach Krueger has him getting supreme zone starts and the qual comp suggests Hall is getting a push there too, with the result being some quality  even strength scoring. That’s a nice number for Samwise, too.

CALGARY IS NOT HELL, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM THERE!

“With the 83/84 season, the Oilers revolution in playing style began to make its influence felt on the league. The tight defensive style of the Islanders, depending on big players and clutch-and-grab tactics to slow opponents down, was proving ineffective against the Oilers as teams tried to hold them in check. Sather had emphasized speed and finesse in building the team, and the Oilers could not be stopped by trying to stand up to them at the blue line, or clogging the neutral zone. They played a creative, high tempo passing game that took the action aggressively to opponents. Five up was how the style came to be described, Oiler forwards were on top of opponents defensemen and the Oilers defensemen moved up to engage the forwards. “

Douglas Hunter, the Glory Barons.

gyj.jpg

This is a huge game, ladies and gents. Tonight, the Edmonton Oilers can win and move into a playoff spot as we head toward the deadline. The Oilers could add–Streit, Glencross, a center–and could subtract too. It may be wise to do both–but first they must win tonight to give themselves the very best chance available to them.

Godspeed, young men. Thanks so much for giving us something real to cheer for, after so many, many days, months and years of losses. After a generation on gravel, you’ve finally reached the blacktop.

628 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)"

Newer Comments »
  1. dawgtoy says:

Go Oiler Go, everything else is meaningless if we don’t beat the god forsaken Flames.

2. RMGS says:

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

Let’s go Oilers, let’s go!

3. Peacecountry says:

Hey LT…. is this as close as we are going to get to a Stan Weir good luck post or should I be expecting a few in the coming weeks?

4. gcw_rocks says:

This home and home should be interesting. Fitting that it should be a short series against the Flames that will tell us are the boys in or out!

5. nelson88 says:

At deadline prices I would be very suprised; and likely disappointed, with anything the Oilers are buying.

Great to see them playing meaninful games in April. Go Oilers!

Peacecountry:

Stan lets me know, not the other way around!

7. bookje says:

Smid will sign. I guessed 4 years at 3.4 a while ago and I am sticking to that. Management understands the ties Smid has here. The team is also past the point of having to overpay for players in Edmonton. Players want to play here. I guess the weather or nightlife has changed for better. I would bet the players have also been affected by the Ryan Smyth story that life is not always better elsewhere.

Give. The influence that marrying a local girl has on the team, If I were GM, I would seriously be trying to find ways to get the young players ‘settled down’ with a local girl. Maybe they hold some old style church mixers of something.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Because I always post it for Calgary games and because it perfectly capture the visceral hatred I have for the flames, those disgusting orange creatures:

we rarely beat them though… I fully expect to lose tonight, esp. at home. prove me wrong boys!!

I don’t see how you don’t run at that 3.5 x 5 for Smid. sounds good to me.

On the pessimism pete front, I’m not even considering the playoffs. I don’t see it happening. I’d rather see the boys just continue to play well, sort out the shot differential and a few other things (5×5; magnus keeps ripening; dubnyk closes strong). That kind of structural checklist is more important and reasonable to me right now.

the most important item, though, has got to be clearing out mgt. or a dramatic change in mgt. philosophy, style and performance.

GOILERS!!

9. Henry says:

“Smid: “I’d like a five years, around that term. Yeah five years at $3.5 million (a season), that would be nice. I’d be more than happy with that. Obviously you look around and see what other guys are making. I do think we’re getting closer (to a deal). Negotiations are pretty good right now. We have three days left and I’m really hopeful we’ll get a deal done. Obviously we have to have something done by Wednesday. I would hate to be traded. We have a great thing going on now and I’d hate to leave.”
    I’ve been hard on Smid over the years, he learned on the job at the NHL level and that wasn’t fair to him or the fanbase. However, if he’s willing to sign that contract then Oiler fans like me should understand it for what it is–a substantial reduction in what he could get on the free market and a massive gesture to the Oilers and the fanbase. I don’t think we can see it any other way.”

Signing this contract has to happen. The team can’t rebuild by developing Ladi Smid since fall 2006 without realizing the benefit of that work for the next 5 years.

It’s interesting that Smid put the numbers he’s looking for straight to Matheson. Will help build the public pressure.

I really hope they don’t blow it like they did with Brodziak.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

GM Steve Tambellini announces #Oilers have agreed to terms with defenceman Ladislav Smid on a 4-year contract extension ($3.5 AAV)

I believe that’s real, but the AAV from the Oilers is a first so am not certain. Anyway, great if true!

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

wow! yea!

streamers and villager rejoicing!!!

Smid-Burgers for everyone!

12. DBO says:

This management team can do a lot of both good or hurt to this organization in the next 3 days. I think most of us expect a few moves, and I’m convinced that we will get 1 OK move, 1 NOT BAD move and 1 “WTF did you do that for I hate you so much” move. I wish I had more confidence in the management, but I do not.

I hope they send out players who we can replace from within and possibly cash in on the lack of dmen with a Whitney trade (although I am becoming OK with him staying and maybe signing for cheap – $2 mill).
    Harsky is better then Jones
    Lander is better then Belanger (maybe not “better” but I think he will have better results)
    The issue with Whitney is that we have no one who is better, so I hope they make a deal with someone for an upgrade (Streit is always mentioned, but i expect him to sign with the Isles).

Swap those two and I think we are better. Add a real piece (Jokinen for Eager as I have mentioned before) then we have 3 real scoring lines and suddenly we are dangerous. And shock me please Tambo, but go get a real NHL dman and make us believers!!!!!!!!!

13. DBO says:

whoohooo

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7m

14. admiralmark says:

I’m of the opinion that Smid’s true value in terms of production + elements that he brings to the team = what he should get paid in a Cap(shrinking cap) market which is in actuality about $3 Million/per. However, if he were to become a UFA he would likely garner 4.5- 5 Million/yr from some GM somewhere. This is somewhat the travesty of monetary system the NHL finds itself in. The travesty becomes worse when any player Y is up for arbitration they then use 3-4 examples of these players given contracts by desperate GM’s and hold their #’s up as comparison to win arbitration cases… and up and up the cost of players go.

At any rate… bottom line is. If Smid signs for 3.5 per season or less with the Oilers… He has given them(and us fans) a “home town discount”. This is something we don’t generally hear around the Oilers franchise and should be seen as a very positive change. We need more of these especially since Tambellini hasnt shown much of a propensity to shave $$$’s of contracts even when its obvious he could of.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m only curious why they didn’t opt for the 5th year and try to bring the number down a pinch.

clearly smid was willing to bend if he gave up on term (compared to what he told Matheson), why not give him an extra year and pinch the $?

at any rate, just like with Hemsky last year… I am shocked they didn’t fuck it up and ecstatic my favorite Oiler is going to be around…

No doubt that snipe on Schneider played a role :)

16. Kris11 says:

There will be cap room next season with the current players staying and some of the cap problems (Khabi. Whitney, Souray’s ghost) coming off.

Sure, Hall and Eberle will be making more, and Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff will all have bigger cap hits too, but there will still be room to add.

The question is whether Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff are good uses of cap space given that the team needs D help.

Long story short: I could see bringing in Campbell and then buying him out during one of the two buyout periods and maybe moving Hemsky or Horcoff out for even more D help (both have trade value IMO.)

In fact, that is exactly what I would do, were I Tambellini but not as dumb.

Campbell with the plan of a buyout is a great idea, IMO. (Katz will have to deal. Maybe we can have a lottery to pay for it.)

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

tiny bit more info:

“General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today that the Oilers have re-signed defenceman Ladislav Smid to a four-year, $14M contract extension.”

not really… just spelled out the AAV as $14M

Bohologo’s Weir joke is classic!
    ——

19. striatic says:

that’s a hell of a deal for the Oilers. i think i would have given him the term he wanted [5 years] but i’m a big softie when it comes to all things Ladi.

thank Smid! he’s a warrior and will now go down in history as a legend of e-town.

20. spoiler says:

Signed Smid. Thank the Hockey Gords.

21. DBO says:

Capgeek with good look at UFA’s next year on D. What is the problem with Ian White? He is not playing in Detroit, but is a RD vet, who turns 29 this summer and has a ton of experience and is a two way dmen. Isn’t he a clear upgrade on Potter? Why the hell are we not after this guy, and looking to extend him for cheap for a few years. If our 3 D next year were Shultz-White, that is a playoff D.

??-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Shultz-White

That is a darn good start, and if you did add Klefbom then Shultz R. moves up. This falls under no brainer to me, unless White has fallen off a cliff. Anyone see him play?

22. striatic says:

Lowetide: The Smid signing means the Oilers go into summer without needing 2 defensemen. Oilers have Smid, Petry and the Schultz boys signed for next season with Klefbom rising. Work to do, but less work than there was earlier this morning.

they still need 1 top pairing D-man, and those aren’t easy to find.

but the Smid signing greatly simplifies the situation. now they need 1 guy, instead of a total defensive rebuild.

23. Kris11 says:

Oilers need (okay not “need”, but you get the point) to get 3 out of 4 points, at least, in this home and home to stay in the playoff race.

Oilers need to add players, and remember that they can grab a bad cap hit and buy it out over the summer. They have a cap mulligan in the bag and should use it strategically. (Horcoff is looking tradeable or keepable.)

24. Kitchener says:

Smid news: Fuckin Awesome.

One more piece in place, yes, but also another sign that we’ve rounded the corner from “rebuild” to “mid-build”

26. Kris11 says:

You have to rack up points against the Flames and other crudtastic teams and play .500 against the good teams.

27. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Lander up means mgmt can move a body at any F position before the game and slide Smyth back. Smart move but makes me leery.

For the record I called the AAV on the Hall, Eberle and now Smid contract.

I’ll be at the massage therapist getting the muscles worked on that I pulled patting myself on the back.

29. BlacqueJacque says:

That’s a hell of a deal for the Oilers. Laddy could possibly have gotten 5x$4m or better on the open market. He’s tough, durable, in his prime and the best defenceman who was UFA.

We should thank Ladi for his willingness to stay and compromise as much as Tambo for signing him.

30. striatic says:

Lowetide: Capgeek’s list of available free agents. I like Glencross more than Raffi, but what about Raffi?

i don’t see anyone on that list worth trading for or signing.

Amen.

3-4 pieces away from looking at the standings to see what the battle is for first in the division, not for a playoff spot.

This summer is MASSIVE to the future of this team.

With some teams needing to shed salary to get under the cap, the Oilers might be able to pick up a guy (hopefully 1LD) this summer that makes us all say “Wow! HE was available?!?”

Go Oilers!!!

*clap,clap*

32. DBO says:

SO now our lineup looks like this (Staples with good post on why the Oil need a tough gritty forward, and that forward is free for us – Harsky )

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
    ????-Horcoff-Yakupov
    Smyth-Lander-Brown

Smid-Petry
    Shultz-Shultz
    Whitney-????

Trade a pick for Ian White to fill 3 RD
    Trade Eager to Carolina for Jokinen(saves them $2 mill per year, adds a solid two way winger who can play centre for us = depth)
    Move Jones and Belanger for anything.

Do those two things and I am happy. And spend off season looking for an upgrade at LD to play with the Younger.

33. LMHF#1 says:

The start to our first good news trade deadline in several years? Maybe.

Win tonight. Make management at least think about it.

34. russ99 says:

That’s a very reasonable contract. Good deal.

Now I hope that 1 year offer rumor to Whitney is a plant to build up his trade value.

Whitney’s situation isn’t like Souray, he just physically can’t play at the level he used to, so there’s no point holding a spot for him.

Raffi as 3LW is pretty good. Won’t cost much either.

36. BlacqueJacque says:

I get nervous signing physical over-30s of moderate skills, but he’d be the best option for a third line left wing. Glencross (arguably correctly) thinks he’s a top-6 guy.

37. Kitchener says:

As we turn our attention to other roster moves (hurray!), isn’t it interesting how little we’ve been complaining about the Mike Brown trade?

Several weeks removed, it looks like a good deal.

Trivia: Ian White grew up in Steinbach, MB, the same town as Coach Ralph. Both were Millers (local hockey team), as was I.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?rentals=on

he’d satisfy the Spectors of the world, that’s for sure!

a quick glance:

suggests he’s being sheltered but not dying in the role he’s in. last year looks more impressive over larger sample:

do you think his contract $$$ go up or down?

I really hope to Gord (h/t Spoiler) that they come out against CAL like they did against VAN.

I don’t expect 3 goals on the first 4 shots, but to come out and put the boots to them right from puck drop and get CAL thinking….”oh well, just not our game tonight…..”

40. Lucinius says:

Smid signed!? Thank you Dithers for a non-retard moment! Wish they had tacked on a fifth year, but I’ll happily take Smid at 3.5 for the next four. Now we only need to avoid a bugfuck crazy trade before the deadline and I’ll be content (for now).

41. LMHF#1 says:

Kitchener:

Several weeks removed, it looks like a good deal.

You must have missed LT, I and several others noting how responsible he’s been for goals against. He’s also neglected his duties in games like the VAN game. PB him or double shift another winger all game.

42. GordM says:

spoiler: Signed Smid. Thank the Hockey Gords.

You are welcome.

Great number for Smid and great to see a player leave some potential UFA$ on the table to help stay and build something.

43. striatic says:

Woodguy: It seems like every time the Oilers are playing well and the fans are feeling good, they come out and shit the bed.

they just need to hang on and get a win tonight.

then they will be able to afford a couple of bed shits down the stretch.

there is still a lot of season left and the Oilers aren’t going to lose their share but these home games against weaker teams like Calgary are absolute must win games.

44. goldenchild says:

Its fun to watch games in April that matter, says something about how low its been the last few years. As an Oiler fan living in Van, Sat night is as good as a reg season win can get.
    Also funny how much better this teams is when they have 3 healthy NHL center’s in the game, still cant believe Tambellini didnt getthem help when 10 went down or with all the issues young Nuge has had. Adding a vet C that can play 10- 15,16 mins if needed would be a huge boost to this team and vital if they do make the playoffs. You are asking too much of 93,89 and 10 as it is and I dont think Belanger has anything left to give,

Need the 2 tonight and I think that kid in the 4 jersey makes it happen.

Great news on Smid deal like term and price

45. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    For the record I called the AAV on the Hall, Eberle and now Smid contract.

Three weeks ago, you noted that Smid was going to be traded as a sure thing and lambasted management for it. Two weeks ago you said he thought he would sign. Last week, I think you were back to ranting about management being stupid for sending Smid out. Something like that anyway. So, yes, congratulations that one of your many predictions was accurate. While your one hand is patting your back, perhaps your other hand should be slapping your face.

A month ago, I said 4 years at 3.4 million and have been consistent throughout. I guess I was wrong as it is $3.5 million for four years.

Good thing that Taylor Hall talked to Craig MacTavish and got the deal done I guess.

46. BlacqueJacque says:

Classic stuff!

Fraser, Storts, Peckham… yikes. Being interviewed by Smid is like the kiss of death.

47. Lucinius says:

Interesting that the contract does not include a no-trade or no-movement clause.

Worrisome, actually, with our management group…

48. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius:

Worrisome, actually, with our management group…

The unexpected competence (and trust shown in management by Smid that he won’t be dealt) is unnerving, isn’t it?

Romulus Apotheosis: he’d satisfy the Spectors of the world, that’s for sure!

a quick glance:

do you think his contract $$$ go up or down?

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

51. Ducey says:

Lowetide: Same number next year I’d expect. Pouliot looked decent last year too. Sign him Tambellini!

Just ahead of Gilbert Brule!

bookje: Three weeks ago, you noted that Smid was going to be traded as a sure thing and lambasted management for it.Two weeks ago you said he thought he would sign.Last week, I think you were back to ranting about management being stupid for sending Smid out.Something like that anyway.So, yes, congratulations that one of your many predictions was accurate. While your one hand is patting your back, perhaps your other hand should be slapping your face.

A month ago, I said 4 years at 3.4 million and have been consistent throughout.I guess I was wrong as it is $3.5 million for four years.

You fail to read for comprehension, but that’s ok its not my blog.

I took pains to state the Johnson thing was speculation.

I even put “speculation” in the title when I wrote it, but LT edited it out.

The last line of the post is :I really hope that I’m reading the tea leave wrong.

But that’s ok fire away.

Of course!

Who else would it be?

I was consistent that the Oilers should sign Smid, but only at $35MM or less as he doesn’t add offense.

When Smid’s agent went public with “no negotiations” I had seen that before and got worried about it.

I still maintain that if the Oilers got Keyser Sose that Smid would be packing his bags.

53. DBO says:

Whitney can get you a 2nd right now. Mentioned it before, but Jones and Whitney to the right team could crazily get you a 1st. You have to get that value and now.

As for Bulin, someone shoot me. Cause a 42 yr old goalie with groin issues is definitely a good signing?!?!?!? WTF.

54. eidy says:

Who signs a contract on April 1. That’s not cool.

Love the signing, love smid, more weir please

As for free agents I prefer stalberg out of Chicago over Torres. I don’t think Torres history there is any way he is back.

55. Ducey says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

I am really hoping the Oilers lose tonight for this very reason. They go on a little spurt around the deadline and all of a sudden we get everyone coming back next year, walkers and crutches in hand. Even worse they trade the #1 pick for a rental so they can just miss the playoffs.

I can see keeping Whitney on a 1yr cheap contract, but Bulin? Did they shut down all the goalie factories?

Maybe this is Dreger’s April 1 joke.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

he may be looking for another 2 year though… with a tough guy on the wrong side of 30 (now… just now really), term might be the sticking factor.

speaking of ex-oilers Poti is on that UFA list too… may as well collect the whole set (kidding!)

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

Brownlee was spitballing signing Nik last week. I really hope they get a 2nd for Whitney and anything for Nik and move on.

re-litigating the whole backup goalie situation… why didn’t we beat OTT in the Bishop deal last year? did we even make an attempt with STL?

STL would probably love to have kept him now… funny how goalies turn out.

At any rate, it looks like OTT may either keep him or flip him for a profit — he’s worth more than a 2nd now, no?

57. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3mSome consideration to keeping Ryan Whitney for Oilers playoff push (in-house rental) and signing Khabibulin for another year. Hahahahahahaha. Warren Zevon should have been an Oiler fan, there’s more material here than under the Joshua tree.

Nice posturing Tambo. I didn’t think you had this kind of stuff in you…

58. spoiler says:

That win by the Oil against the Nuckleheads really helped Tambo out at this deadline. Because he still has to be a bit of a seller (unless Peckham is being interred indefinitely in Guantanemo). But the pressure is off to sell with the playoff race at hand, which means he can demand better overpays.

59. BlacqueJacque says:

spoiler: Nice posturing Tambo.I didn’t think you had this kind of stuff in you…

Let’s be fair: Tambo & Co. did a marvelous job of setting up Taylor vs Tyler, the mystery pick in 2011 (is it gonna be Landeskog? Huberdeau? Couturier? Nuge?) and of course the Murray vs Yakupov scenario last year was down to the wire.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: Let’s be fair: Tambo & Co. did a marvelous job of setting up Taylor vs Tyler, the mystery pick in 2011 (is it gonna be Landeskog?Huberdeau?Couturier?Nuge?) and of course the Murray vs Yakupov scenario last year was down to the wire.

So you’re saying they are very good at keeping the sports section of the papers in business?

spoiler: Nice posturing Tambo.I didn’t think you had this kind of stuff in you…

I blame MacT.

62. Clay says:

Credit where due, good signing Tambo. Now don’t f**k up the rest of the trade deadline stuff.

Just say “no” to Raffi. He was a headcase when he was here last, and he’s got 5 more years of bad coke trips under his belt now.

63. bookje says:

Woodguy: You fail to read for comprehension, but that’s ok its not my blog.

I took pains to state the Johnson thing was speculation.

I even put “speculation” in the title when I wrote it, but LT edited it out.

But that’s ok fire away.

Of course!

Who else would it be?

I think you were pretty clear that you were posturing about Johnson. You were a little more firm on Smid not being signed here I thought, but regardless, if you make both side of a prediction – ‘Smid will be traded’ and ‘Smid will sign here’, you can’t really pat your back for one of them coming true. That is, unless you are a professional psychic in which case that is what you have to do.

Let’s just agree that LT was absolute in his statement that ‘Smid is gone – done deal’. Again, to his credit, two days later or so, he noted that he thought Smid would re-sign.

Otherwise, let’s focus on the good news here – The Oilers are going to make it into the playoffs and then make it to the conference finals. Note – if this comes true, I will trumpet my status as a prophet as I refer back to this post. If it does not come true, I will say nothing.

64. bookje says:

IF you KNEW the Oilers were going to make the playoffs, would you:

keep Khabibulin as a backup?

keep Whitney on defence?

Assuming that the return on either is a high-level 2nd round pick (i.e 50th to 60th).

65. Ribs says:

I don’t mind keeping Khabibulin for a playoff run. Signing him to an extension seems like a stretch.

There’s not enough NHL defencemen on the bench to drag Whitney through the playoffs. If you want him around you need to get some real help on the blue.

66. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

Yes, and yes, because of the lack of viable alternatives. Hell, I still think we come up just short of the playoffs and I think it’s important to show that we’re not sellers any more. Pretty much everyone on the team needs a reminder that there’s such a thing as “playoffs”.

67. Lucinius says:

Now that Smid is safely signed… the Oilers should celebrate by getting him a hat trick tonight, imo.

68. denny33 says:

Please God, no. Please…

Douglas Murray moved for possibly TWO 2nd rounders and we are going to keep Whitney?

Love the Smid signing. But really this should have been automatic.

The fact we all have to cheer this move is telling….

69. russ99 says:

I think that if they re-sign Khabibulin, the tar and feather brigade makes a trip to Rexall. If you want to keep him around for a playoff push, and to rest Dubnyk, cool. But there is no way he should be here next year.

Again, this seems like posturing to get better trade value on both Whitney and Khabibulin before the deadline on Wednesday.

70. bookje says:

While I am excited about the Oilers making the Playoffs (it almost seems strange to be considering it), I have mixed feelings. The possibility of the Oilers finishing just out of the playoffs and winning the draft lottery would be such a beautiful thing. I realize that it is a 1 in 200 chance, but my bet is Steve’s Grin gets it done.

71. denny33 says:

bookje,

Khabby / Whitney – big litmus test for current management…

There is NO upside into keeping either player….none.

MUST receive assets for players that will not be playing on your team next year…

72. Lucinius says:

bookje,

The cries that would arise of the game being rigged would be immense.

And Oiler fans would dine like kings on the tears of Calgarians.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33:

Please God, no. Please…

Love the Smid signing. But really this should have been automatic.

The fact we all have to cheer this move is telling….

I think you’ve kind of answered your question here…

the high value on D this year (Murray as prime example) is going to give GMs an incentive to kick the tires a little longer, plus as WG notes the Oil may have gotten Dekeyser, which still would have made flushing Smid crazy, but not as much.

74. BlacqueJacque says:

denny33,

How many picks and prospects can a team have?

Even if we got a 20th overall pick for Whitney, I’d rather keep the team in a playoffs mentality, to get them to learn what it takes. Hopefully they’ll actually get in the playoffs and get the requisite one-round-and-out of all young teams out of the way, as well.

I’m really hoping they are lowball offers so Tambo can say:

“We offered Nik/Ryan an extension to stay for next year but he turned it down. We had to trade him to maximize the value of the asset. Did we want both of them here? Of course, both men are veterans with experience and poise, but we couldn’t come to an agreement”

bookje: I think you were pretty clear that you were posturing about Johnson. You were a little more firm on Smid not being signed here I thought, but regardless, if you make both side of a prediction – ‘Smid will be traded’ and ‘Smid will sign here’, you can’t really pat your back for one of them coming true.

I thought Smid was a trade target and maintain that if Dekeyser signs, he’s gone. I got the target wrong (JJ instead of Dekeyser)

I also stated that IF HE DID SIGN, I wouldn’t sign him for more than $3.5.

I was patting my back for getting the $3.5MM right.

Again, read for comprehension:

For the record I called the AAV on the Hall, Eberle and now Smid contract.

More or less to grind Godot a bit.

You read a lot extra into what I actually write.

77. sumaclab says:

Very happy with Smid’s signing today/last night. File in the column for things that Tambo has done well. If he could pry Glenncross out of Calgary at the trade deadline I would be pleased. I f Whitney nets a second round pick that would probably be a peter pays paul kinda thing.I think it would probably take a 2cd round pick to get Glenncross. With Jones and Peckham RFA`s this summer both players are expendable. Jones needs a rethink on his career. That eye injury is a wake up call for him. If I am him I say thank you very much and call it a career. I lost my left eye as a kid. Better to have sight than not. It really takes the edge from his game. He was not the most physical guy previously but not imo the willingness to engageéfight has disappeared totally. Peckham has wrote his ticket to a minor league career. Lack of preparadness and fitness in a league where there are guys lined up 10 deep waiting for a shot at your job makes Peckham descision to let himself go makes it even more unbelievable.

Stan Wier was the original hillbilly. He makes those Duck Dynasty guys look like a bunch of candy asses. If I am the bear I would not move either.

78. spoiler says:

We probably couldn’t have asked for a better time to face the Phlegms on a back-to-backer… Right in the middle of the trade deadline, and they’ve finally realized they’re sellers.

While they will be dangerous and their coach will be saying things like “Pride Game”… Their long-serving leader is gone and the rest of the roster has to be thinking “Who’s Next? Is it me?”

If the Oil can get an early goal or two, this could turn real ugly, real fast. Like Cowboys at 2 am when they turn the lights on. Even Kipper hasn’t been his usual stingy self this year.

79. jake70 says:

Just watching HC at noon, Maclean saying he heard Ottawa is persuing Glencross. Millard saying Glencross is rumoured to be chased by 4 teams. If you get Glencross, do you have to bring back Huggy Bear and the Brodzilla?

Oh, and great news – Smid.

80. BlacqueJacque says:

sumaclab,

Do we actually know that Peckham’s fitness is the issue?

There were no complaints from the coaches when he came back.

81. G Money says:

DBO:

Trade a pick for Ian White to fill 3 RD

Omark for White? Perhaps Omark+T. Peckman for White, if ‘D depth’ is critical?

Win-win perhaps. Omark is not going to play for us anyway, but Detroit might be able to find a spot for him.

Conversely, I am not an Ian White fan, but that said, I think he qualifies as an “actual NHL defenseman” and would be an upgrade for our current third pairing.

82. WeridAl says:

Great signing for the Oilers, thought Smid would of got in the 4M range, great job Tambo. Still don’t think the Oilers will make the playoffs, but some trades can still be made that shouldn’t harm the chemistry of the team. Jones, Fistric and Whitney can still be traded, cannot see anyone trading much for them unless it’s picks. It would give the Oilers some room at least to bring some of the Barons up to give them experience.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    sumaclab,

Do we actually know that Peckham’s fitness is the issue?

There were no complaints from the coaches when he came back.

See:

also… his TOI this year.

show up once out of condition (2011-12)… we HS you a lot

show up again out of condition (2012-13)… we banish you from the parking lot.

84. DBO says:

G Money,

I like that. He is not a top 4, but he is a real player and will be motivated to play for a contract. He may just be in the penalty box for ripping Bettman during the lockout, and as a tank you to Bettman for moving the Wings to the East, Illitch has said he stays on the bench. Would not shock me at all.

85. Ribs says:

Plus if they get Ian White, Katz can save money on pylons for practice!

86. sliderule says:

The oilers have to win here and in Calgary.

Those back to back games later could be killers.

The cherry is if we just miss it looks like a great draft for centers with Wennberg Lazar and Horvat available in the 10 to 20 range.

I know Lazar and Horvat have been playing mostly wing but they project as centers.

87. asiaoil says:

Good signing with Smid. He’s actually top pairing capable guy if his partner is an offensive true #1 dman.

We need to sell as much of the replaceable crap on the roster (Whitney, Khabi, Jones, Peckham, Eager, Belanger) as possible to finance buying a decent dman or bigger winger for the playoff push. Think of it as quantity for quality deal in separate pieces. Hopefully this smoke about re-signing Whitney (silly) and Khabi (totally insane) is just pumping their tires by adding another potential suitor (us) for their services.

There are still two games before the deadline and we need to win both to stay in the hunt. The final multi-game road trip is also here and by the end of the weekend when they get back from the west coast the team only has 2 single road game left until the end of the year and 6 home games. So the schedule is favorable. St Louis is ripe for the picking as they are on an extended road trip now after totally bombing the last week and putting themselves in jeopardy.

88. striatic says:

In an effort to imagine how difficult making the playoffs would be given the April schedule, I present to you “The road to 9-4-1″ ..

MON APR 1 – CALGARY v. EDMONTON: Must win game. Edmonton at home versus a non playoff team. 1-0-0

WED APR 3 – EDMONTON @ CALGARY: Win. A dagger to the heart for Cowtown. 2-0-0

THU APR 4 – EDMONTON @ VANCOUVER: Close OT win against a very prepared and keyed up Vancouver team that still loses due to lack of Centre depth with Kesler still out. 3-0-0

SAT APR 6 – EDMONTON @ LOS ANGELES: Loss against an LA team closing out the season in playoff mode. Streak ends. 3-1-0

MON APR 8 – EDMONTON @ ANAHEIM: Loss against an Anaheim team that has been struggling lately but catches Edmonton at the end of a road trip. Panic sets in. 3 more losses end the season. 3-2-0

WED APR 10 – PHOENIX v. EDMONTON: Massive must win home game. Edmonton Wins as PHX gets into penalty trouble and is killed by the Oilers PP. Fans elated. 4-2-0

SAT APR 13 – CALGARY v. EDMONTON: Must win Home game. Edmonton blowout. Calgary in full disintegration mode. 5-2-0

TUE APR 16 – MINNESOTA v. EDMONTON: Edmonton Shootout home loss after blowing an early lead. Parise with the shootout winner. 5-2-1

FRI APR 19, 2013 – EDMONTON v. COLORADO: Must win Home game. Edmonton Wins a very balanced, medium scoring game. 6-2-1

SUN APR 21 – ANAHEIM v. EDMONTON: Edmonton loss. a struggling Anaheim team snaps a slump against Edmonton again. 6-3-1

MON APR 22 – ANAHEIM v. EDMONTON: With the margin for error narrowing, Edmonton guts out an OT win. 7-3-1

WED APR 24 – CHICAGO v. EDMONTON: Edmonton Win. Patrick Kane wants to give his buddy Sam Gagner an honest shot at making the playoffs and encourages his team to play run and gun to close out the season. Edmonton barely wins in another Chicago/Edmonton classic. 8-3-1

FRI APR 26 – EDMONTON v. MINNESOTA: Edmonton Win. Stellar play by Devan Dubnyk steals a game where Edmonton is outshot. Playoff spot secured. 9-3-1

SAT APR 27 – VANCOUVER v. EDMONTON: Edmonton blowout loss after post-playoff clinching hangover. 9-4-1

89. WeridAl says:

G Money: Omark for White?Perhaps Omark+T. Peckman for White, if ‘D depth’ is critical?

Win-win perhaps.Omark is not going to play for us anyway, but Detroit might be able to find a spot for him.

White’s not a option for the Oilers, the Oilers rely on the size of their D to supply their grit and at 5’10″ White doesn’t do that. Potter played a pretty good game against the Canucks and I cannot see White as being much of a upgrade right now. If White was a big upgrade, I’d be all for it, but he isn’t. I wouldn’t mind the Oilers trading to get Marek Tvrdon, big kid playing with the Giants, Ryan Whitney to Detroit should do it.

90. pboy says:

Stan Weir and Superman once fought each other on a bet. The loser had to start wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants.

Smid!

91. LMHF#1 says:

If not for his NMC and the fact that he’s a Flame, getting Glencross and his 2 more years under contract sure would be a nice “switch locker rooms before the game” pickup. Would nice to be on the winning side of one of those for a change.

92. Genjutsu says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think you’ve kind of answered your question here…

In a draft this deep getting additional picks in the 2nd round is a must on anyone not coming with us next season. Jones, Whitney, Fistric, and NK should all be gone. There is value in moving them and in keeping them. But with team like Boston in a position where they need to go for broke this year its going to hard to say know to what they will be offering.

We need a few more pieces that’s one thing that is undeniable. The only C’s in the system with top 6 upside are Martindale, despite strides made this year he’s a long shot and Khaira.

On the wing its not much better with only Rajala and Zharkov looking to a top 6 fit.

This draft could be the one we talk about in 5-6 years as being the ONE.

93. Lois Lowe says:

Great news on Smid’s re-signing! I like the term and I like the dollars. My only issue with trading Whitney is that they will have one less actual NHL defenceman for the stretch run. He may be a 6 or 7 now, but he’s still 2PP and can take and make a pass. Who do the Oilers replace him with and what does that say to the players about management’s willingness to believe in the group they have?

I think that the Oilers will actually be fairly quiet at the deadline; maybe offload a Peckham or a Potter, but that’s it.

94. ashley says:

bookje:
    IF you KNEW the Oilers were going to make the playoffs, would you:

keep Khabibulin as a backup?

keep Whitney on defence?

If you’re thinking playoffs, you have to keep Khabibulin. As much as we love to hate him, he as a bonafide NHL goaltender. Trying to make a playoff run without a proper NHL backup is insane. The Conklin experiment in G1 2006 SCF should have taught us that.

Still, while I’m cheering as hard as I can, I don’t think the Oilers make the playoffs. STL is not going to miss the second season. Realistically, we are chasing DET and SJ who are 4 and 5 points ahead of us with all of PHX, DAL, CBUS, and NSH having something to say about it.

In past years, teams pushing for a playoff spot play lights out. One of PHX, DAL, CBUS, and NSH will drop off, and one of DET and SJ will take off higher. That leaves us plus 3 other teams trying to chase (DET probably) who currently are 4 points ahead of us.

Realistically, we need to go 8-3-3 to get close, but then that might only still be 9th. We are a .500 team.

I still think selling would be prudent at this point. However two more consecutive wins would change the equation yet again, and suddenly going 6-3-3 in the final 12 would still be a tough road, but would be a real possibility for this team.

95. denny33 says:

People keep comparing this June’s draft class to the vaunted 2003 class….nobody really knows of course..however if you move Whitney you could have 3 picks in the 2nd round.

Re: Trading Ryan Whitney for possible 2nd rounder.

Here is a sample of what was found in the 2ND ROUND of 2003:

Kevin Klein
    Louis Eriksson
    Patrice Bergeron
    Matt Carle
    Shea Weber
    Cory Crawford
    David Backes
    Jimmy Howard

I left out BJ Crombeen and Max Laperierre…

96. Ducey says:

BlacqueJacque:
    bookje,

Yes, and yes, because of the lack of viable alternatives.Hell, I still think we come up just short of the playoffs and I think it’s important to show that we’re not sellers any more.Pretty much everyone on the team needs a reminder that there’s such a thing as “playoffs”.

With all due respect, that’s Jason Gregor/ Mark Spector speak.

We have Dallas and San Jose “selling” yet still in the playoff race. It can, and should, be done.

The three games Bulin will start down the stretch can be handled by someone else. He is a complete wildcard. He could be lights out and then mail in a stinker like his last game. If they can get a second or a third rounder for him, its a no brainer.

Whitney isn’t going to sign a one year $2 million dollar contract. That is all he is really worth. Trade him and cover his spot with Fistric/ Peckham. There is not likely to be a big drop off there over the 10 games it matters.

Jones is quickly becoming irrelevant. Hartikanen and Lander play well together. Jones has but 3 pts and 22 shots in 16 games. He doesn’t fight, isn’t a big hitter, and isn’t really good defensively. Why are we keeping him?

If they want to take the picks they get for these guys and bring in a Glencross, thats fine too. For the record GlenX isn’t coming here. He has a NMC and would have to consent. As well, Feaster isn’t going to put himself in a position to have Flames fans watching him light it up with the other young guns for the next few years. His seat is hot enough as it is.

97. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

How many players do we have that have come from outside the 1st round in the last half decade?

How are we going to address filling out the rest of the roster – bottom 2 centres, top 2 dman, etc,
    ( Horcoff is about to turn 35 )

Few people here believe it will be via trade. Nothing attractive in the UFA market…..If not through the draft how else?

Three possible cracks at the 2nd round in a ‘generational’ draft seems attractive to me…especially since Whitney won’t be here next year!

98. spoiler says:

According to TSN, no NMC or NTC in Smid’s deal. That’s the one thing I was worried about in a “hometown” deal. Well done.

99. Professor Q says:

denny33,

And maybe using some of those second rounders, trading up and selecting Bo Horvat :D

100. WeridAl says:

Ducey,

I agree, but with Glencross, still remember what he did with the Oilers last season and I don’t think the Oilers would want a coward on their team.

101. denny33 says:

Ducey,

I used to be a okay with Jones…however, like Belanger – he can’t even handle the puck anymore.

Ryan Jones and Eric Belanger both keep hacking the puck to pieces…..

Even on Saturday – Jones seems unable to take a pass….

Lost in the playoff hype – Horcoff turns 35, Smyth is 37 and Belanger should have been out of the league last year. Maybe Lander fills one role not sure…

Bottom 2 Centres / a couple of wingers / top Defenceman….Just a few more pieces…and those pieces have to come through the draft IMO.

102. denny33 says:

Professor Q,

That is exactly what I am getting at….chips to be used. However ones see fit.

If Whitney just walks away….that will be both telling and sad.

Trading up is a definitely an idea….

103. striatic says:

Ducey: There is no evidence that “showing we are not sellers” is going to do anything for the hockey team this year. It does eliminate any chance of getting anything for these assets.

i agree with this but i also think it is important to have a “reminder that there’s such a thing as “playoffs””.

Edmonton can sell *and* take a shot at a playoff push, it just changes who the team is selling.

if you sell and push, you can move maybe 50% Jones and Petrell, Whitney, Fistric and Khabibulin without damaging the team to the point where the team won’t be able to demonstrate strength down the stretch.

realistically, there won’t be enough demand from other teams to move all those guys, but moving Whitney could net a decent enough return that i think you’ve got to move him if the offer is there. if you can get a second round pick back, you make that move in a heartbeat.

then you play out the stretch demonstrate the team is clearly stepping forward, miss the playoffs by a couple points and then go into free agency with a lot more cache than in previous years.

denny33: is

It’s way better now for the Oilers, though. Jacques/Stone were a mess with Quinn, but even before that the club had forwards who could not take a pass. It’s a big item, taking and making a pass.

Current Oiler roster forwards who cannot take a pass? Brown can’t make one but they can all cradle a pass.

105. fuzzy muppet says:

denny33,

106. gcw_rocks says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

Damn April Fools jokes. Please tell me this is an April fools joke…

107. TheOtherJohn says:

Really hate to write this,HATE…..Great signing for the Oilers, great job by management

Wanted to sign Smid just did not believe we’d get that great a price

Confidence is a strange thing for skilled players. Oilers could go on a real streak. I’d still blowout Whitney, Jones, Peckham Khabby and Belanger if he’s still alive. They are not driving the streak.

If Toronto believes they have a real shot at winning a series or two would they move Gardiner or Morgan Reilly for a package of Hemsky & a D prospect not named Klefbom

108. bookje says:

Woodguy:

For the record I called the AAV on the Hall, Eberle and now Smid contract.

More or less to grind Godot a bit.

You read a lot extra into what I actually write.

So now you are declaring yourself as a reincarnation of Finwë, King of the Noldor? Your assertions have stretched from a bit smug to totally absurd!

109. bookje says:

As per ‘buyer/seller’, I wonder if the positive vibes from the team making it to the playoffs would be worth something in the Free Agent market this summer.

I would probably trade Whitney for a 2nd round pick – he doesn’t want to be here anyway and in 2013, Corey Potter is not much worse than Ryan Whitney (at least for a few weeks). Peckham could step in for the odd game.

I would keep Khabibulin. I think the team – specifically Dubnyk – appreciate having his veteran presence in the room and on the bench in case he is needed.

Of course, it all depends on the return, but if it is a 55th pick, that is what I would do.

110. Ducey says:

Dreger is reporting that CLB is looking to flip one of their first rounders for a scoring forward.

Do you trade Hemsky for a first and a prospect?

CLB has their own pick, that of NYR and LA…

Whitney and Hemsky for Boone Jenner and a 1st?

Maybe I am sounding like one of those HF guys…

111. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet: 2nd round picks from this draft are likely 3-5 years from contributing, if they ever do. They’re going to have to fill the gap elsewhere

so then, prospects?

112. FPB94 says:

Of course 2nd rounders don’t usually get much, but it’s also a vicious circle, teams don’t think they can get bonafide so they draft a ”utility” guy, rate goes down etc etc.

The 2nd round is a round where you lose picks, but it’s also a round where you can draft a Subban, a Letang, a Bergeron, Krejci, etc.

Good teams rarely have to rely solely on their first rounders.

113. prairieschooner says:

Given the Oilers history of negotiating with playersw contracts it was really smart of Laddy to announce in the press a very fair offer that he was willing to accept.
    No negotiation was involved
    That is except for this conversation
    OK Laddy we see that you are willing to sign for 5 years at 3.5 and we appreciate that you are giving us a home town discount but we have to have the final say here, so instead of a hometown discount for 5 years we are only going to let you give us a discount on a 4 year contract
    Laddy shakes head and signs

114. Numenius says:

Love the Smid signing.

Hope they also sign Fistric. He may not be top-6, but he’s a solid option to plug in when needed due to injuries or for toughness.

115. spoiler says:

Gregor’s NSGDP from his non-GDB on ON:

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Mike Brown scores a goal, adds an assist and delivers two big hits early in the first period. He has a solid game, meanwhile Magnus Paajarvi shocks everyone and gets into his first NHL scrap, but registers no points. In keeping with recent tradition Paajarvi will be named the 3rd star and not Brown.

Somebody (Spector) really does need to be taken to task for that. Good to see other media-types quietly ripping on him.

116. delooper says:

Ducey:
    Do you trade Hemsky for a first and a prospect?

No, that would be totally insane. There’s little chance Columbus’s first would eventually be as good as Hemsky, and it would most likely be 5-7 years before they’re at their peak, provided their career isn’t derailed by injuries. It would be throwing away a great player for magic beans.

117. Lois Lowe says:

McCurdy’s April Fool’s post over at CoH is funny business.

118. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

bookje,

On the same day archaeologists will stumble across a temple of the previously unknown Greek god of irony Σταύρος. They will be puzzled by the frequency of the numbers 14, 15, 16, and 20 at the temple site.

119. Marc says:

Anyone else curious as to who MacT was scouting at the Habs-Rangers game last night?

I can’t think of any obvious candidates, unless Sather is desperate enough to give up Kreider for Hemsky.

120. G Money says:

WeridAl: White’s not a option for the Oilers, the Oilers rely on the size of their D to supply their grit and at 5’10? White doesn’t do that. Potter played a pretty good game against the Canucks and I cannot see White as being much of a upgrade right now. If White was a big upgrade, I’d be all for it, but he isn’t. I wouldn’t mind the Oilers trading to getMarek Tvrdon, big kid playing with the Giants, Ryan Whitney to Detroit should do it.

He’s not gritty, but neither are Potter or Whitney.

bookje: So now you are declaring yourself as a reincarnation of Finwë, King of the Noldor?Your assertions have stretched from a bit smug to totally absurd!

121. bookje says:

I heard that Smid injured his shoulder signing the contract.

122. Ice Sage says:

Marc:

Rangers need to stoke something but should fire the coach. I can’t see Hemsky going, though – they already have Gaborik in that role. Maybe Whitney? Fistric? (and fire the coach)

123. G Money says:

bookje:
    I heard that Smid injured his shoulder signing the contract.

124. FPB94 says:

Marc,

Mcdonagh (if they’re stupid enough) Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, Gaborik.

125. spoiler says:

G Money: Like I said, I’m not a big fan of White, but I do think he’d be an upgrade, or at least ‘just as good’ depth.He’s not gritty, but neither are Potter or Whitney.Omark isn’t worth anything other than in a trade, so I think it’s still a win-win.What position does this Finwë play, and what round was he picked in? More importantly, does he have poisë?

Potter and Whitney, especially Potter, play with far more grit than Ian White.

126. spoiler says:

G Money: I heard he didn’t actually sign it, he just threw himself in front of it and the blood from the resulting papercut ended up on the signature line.

That’s pretty effin funny!

I really don’t get this.

I’ve never called myself an insider and make it clear I speculate

You hear things from time to time, but its still speculation.

This is weird.

128. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I really don’t get this.I’ve never called myself an insider and make it clear I speculateYou hear things from time to time, but its still speculation.I’m happy that they signed Smid to a reasonable contract and that it was close to what I guessed.This is weird.

I just thought you were having a little fun this morning, and teasing Godot a bit.

I don’t think WG did anything we all haven’t done–made a prediction, pointed it out when it came true. Beyond that, a little ribbing is fine but it seems to be getting a tad personal. Can we refrain from this? It takes away from my day off and watching the Yankees squirm.

Thanks.

130. spoiler says:

Jamie McBain fr the Canes is allegedly available. Now there’s an honest-to goodnes defenseman who can take and make a pass. Also has a decent shot from the blueline. Still developing at 25 years old. Only problem is he’s a RHS. But he’d be an upgrade on Fistric or Potter at 3RD. $1.8M cap hit with a year to go.

131. bookje says:

Woodguy: I really don’t get this.

I’ve never called myself an insider and make it clear I speculate

You hear things from time to time, but its still speculation.

This is weird.

Oh, I think you missed my attempt at humour regarding your statement “You read a lot extra into what I actually write”.

My response regarding you declaring yourself the a reincarnation of Finwë, King of the Noldor (apparently a Tolkein character) was meant to be some kind of absurd and over the top reading a lot extra into what you actually wrote. It had no meaning other than humour.

132. bookje says:

Thanks.

Again, just to clarify – the kIng of whatsoever statement was in no way intented as an insult of any kind. The ‘absurd’ wording was also part of the intended humour. I appear to be coming off as being serious this morning when I really am not serious at all.

At most I was aiming for gentle ribbing. I don’t take any of this that seriously and as a result I don’t actually go back and read things that people wrote and just work from memory.

Honestly, apologies all around that this came off as serious criticism.

133. Genjutsu says:

Marc:

He might be there for the Habs. Diaz is out and they need a D man. Maybe Fistric would be nice for them as his physical play could be a boon to a smallish Habs team.

134. cabbiesmacker says:

4 more years of Flabby Schmeebs. Excellent.

135. Genjutsu says:

Finwe who begat Fingolfin who begat Turgon who begat Idril who begat Earendil who begat Elrond of Rivendel.

136. Captain Happy says:

Interesting move this morning that I can’t make sense of.

The Canucks have just purchased the Peoria Rivermen, the farm team of the St. Louis Blues.

The Canucks current AHL affiliate is the Chicago Wolves, the owner of which is Don Levin who has expressed a strong interest in owning an NHL team in Seattle.

One would think the Canucks are planning to move the Rivermen somewhere (perhaps Abbotsford?) while the Flames would put the Heat somewhere else (Saskatoon?).

The Heat have been a massive failure in Abbotsford since the locals refuse to support the Flames farm club.

Speculation?

137. Genjutsu says:

Genjutsu,

Also the Habs own 6 picks in the top 100 this year including Calgary’s 2nd :)

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

interesting development:

bookje: Again, just to clarify – the kIng of whatsoever statement was in no way intented as an insult of any kind.The ‘absurd’ wording was also part of the intended humour.I appear to be coming off as being serious this morning when I really am not serious at all.

At most I was aiming for gentle ribbing.I don’t take any of this that seriously and as a result I don’t actually go back and read things that people wrote and just work from memory.

Honestly, apologies all around that this came off as serious criticism.

Got it.

Not a Tolkien guy and I even googled it!

All good.

Sorry to dereail the thead.

Also,

Amazing.

Also,

Kipper starts tonight.

5+ goals coming for the Oil.

Bookje it!

140. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Got it.Not a Tolkien guy and I even googled it!All good.A little disapointed as I had written a “Bookje Disclaimer” that I was going to add to the end of my posts.Sorry to dereail the thead.Also,Spector just said he takes Kipper over Luongo and that TOR should pick up Kipper TO START for them during the playoffs.Amazing.Also,Kipper starts tonight.5+ goals coming for the Oil.Bookje it!

Spector makes his living in Alberta. He would throw that out whether he believes it or not. Such is the nature of Spector. Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’ve hated this guy since he wrote for the Gateway. Has no principles or any consistency to his thought.

Ralph is no looker, but he’s so smart that things seem better, more sunshine.

Great item from Tyler

143. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Happy,

beat me to it, I see.

They must have something like that planned, otherwise they are simply buying up AHL franchises like they are Starbucks outlets!

are you sure the nuck pull is enough to turn people off pro hockey in Abbotsford? seems kind of petty. small town like that, you’d think they’d be excited to have a pro team regardless.

144. Gerta Rauss says:

Ralphie pre-game

No real details re: lineup but he said Lander was 13F so don’t expect any changes from the other night.

**edit-LT beat me to it**

Wonderful news about Smid-nice dollar amount with a nice term.

145. striatic says:

Captain Happy: Looks like the first move in a series of moves but not sure what the end game might be especially for the owner of the Wolves.
    Speculation?

this is all about Vancouver wanting to own their affiliate, and keep it locally.

146. Gerta Rauss says:

Spoiler posted this a couple weeks ago and I though I’d re-post it(full disclosure, the article is from early Feb)

The 2013 draft may not be as deep as originally thought…I’m just sayin’

147. G Money says:

striatic: i don’t think anything will happen except Levin will own the Blues affiliate instead of the Vancouver affiliate.

Seems to be a three-way AHL franchise trade brewing.

148. delooper says:

Ralph is no looker, but he’s so smart that things seem better, more sunshine.

His wife sure is cute. I suppose in the sports world that shows he’s got confidence or something like that.

149. spoiler says:

Hartley, also from The Herald

“We will never quit — we don’t have the right to quit,” the Flames coach said after Sunday’s session at the Saddledome. “I will not let anyone quit. If someone wants to jump ship, he will not be in the lineup. It’s as simple as this. We have a responsibility as professionals — whether we’re players or coaches — to always put our best effort out there . . . it’s my job to make sure that no one will slip away.

“There’s not one bad person, there’s not one bad team player, on this team. Everyone’s working. You guys saw practice (Sunday) morning. Everyone’s upbeat. We know we have lots of work to do and we’re facing a big challenge, but the only way we’re going to achieve something is by sticking together. The good part of my job is the quality of the individuals that we have in this locker-room.”

Gotta know that the Flames realize th fans will forgive them for losing 10 straight on the road as long as they beat the Oil.

150. delooper says:

Can the Oilers “step on the throats” of the Flames? Tune in and find out!

Genjutsu: ’ve never called myself an insider and make it clear I speculateYou hear things from time to time, but its still speculation.I’m happy that they signed Smid to a reasonable contract and that it was close to what I guessed.This is weird.

Habs have one of the best drafting records in the last 7 years or so as well.

spoiler: Spector makes his living in Alberta.He would throw that out whether he believes it or not. Such is the nature of Spector.Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’ve hated this guy since he wrote for the Gateway.Has no principles or any consistency to his thought.

What years were those?

I was there from 89-93

During the height of Space Moose

Good times.

153. MrSmitty says:

I am taking a friend of mine who is a Habs fan to the game tonight. But he is rooting for the Oil to crush the Flames. Hopefully I get to see the three straight wins at Rexall since I have been back home from work.

If we get a big lead again early we are going to have to watch for cheap shotting again just like we saw from douche bags like Bieksa in the last game. Brown better be ready.

154. VanOil says:

The Sun is shining. Smid is sorted. The future just got a whole lot closer.

mc79hockey article is a great overview of the serfdom of being an Oiler fan an a excellent review of Whitney. Basically keeping Whitney next year on a value contract is not possible, he would have to pay the Oilers to play (like some F1 drivers do) to be considered a value contract and I still would not want him.

Bruce McCrudy is a cruel and brilliant man. His article is should not be considered an April fools joke but a manifesto for the NHL. I hope NHL fans around the league get to read it.

A smack down of Calgary tonight would be great. Not because of the standings, it is its own good in its own right.

155. Clay says:

Marc:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Boyle.

156. denny33 says:

fuzzy muppet,

Maybe. Do you think we will seriously compete for the cup next year with Horcoff and Smyth though?

The Oilers window – I would suggest is in 3 years or so…

Sean Horcoff wont’ be in the league in 24 months. Same with Smyth…if not in the 2nd round of a generational draft, I ask where do those replacements come from?

NYR: Brian Boyle?
    Mon: Lars Eller, Travis Moen?

158. Mr DeBakey says:

What years were those?

I was there from 89-93

He was there earlier than that

159. denny33 says:

Ducey,

Hemsky turns 30 thisyear…won’t be here for our trup contention time frame…

I do that deal…2 picks in the 2013 first round.

160. spoiler says:

denny33:
    fuzzy muppet,

Please tell me you’re drunk. Please tell me you’re old enough to drink.

Oh God, I remember when girls had hairdo’s like that one. Ah, good times.

162. delooper says:

denny33:
    Ducey,
    Hemsky turns 30 thisyear…won’t be here for our trup contention time frame…
    I do that deal…2 picks in the 2013 first round.

denny33:
    fuzzy muppet,

The Oilers window – I would suggest is in 3 years or so…

You are talking about bottom six roles. It is “relatively” easy to find bottom six players. Internal development of prospects, UFA’s attracted to the cluster. i.e. 2 years of development in Lander and Khaira, for example. It is the top six guys that are “hard” to find.

The first round pick of a centre this year will have two development years to be ready for when Horcoff slides down to #4. In two more years, Gagner might actually be a complete centre and Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins both might be able to handle tough minute roles.

164. FPB94 says:

If Montreal trades Lars Eller i’ll be a sad-sad man.

You can have Moen tough. Take him and run away.

165. bookje says:

Woodguy: What years were those?

I was there from 89-93

During the height of Space Moose

Good times.

Ah Space Moose. I too was a member of the Space Moose era as a student at the U of A. About a month ago I Googled Space moose and discovered the whole ‘Clobberin Time’ Controversy (see Wikipedia Space Moose entry for details). I graduated in 1995 and in the early years of the internet, there was not good coverage of local issues when you lived across the country (I was in Ontario then).

166. Henry says:

delooper: Your 2 picks likely won’t be here for the contention time frame, and if they are here they won’t be pushing things. Hemsky serves a useful role, and he’s got several more years of his magic left.

Would Nikitin and the CBJ 1st for Hemsky interest you?

167. delooper says:

bookje: Ah Space Moose.I too was a member of the Space Moose era as a student at the U of A. About a month ago I Googled Space moose and discovered the whole ‘Clobberin Time’ Controversy (see Wikipedia Space Moose entry for details). I graduated in 1995 and in the early years of the internet, there was not good coverage of local issues when you lived across the country (I was in Ontario then).

I am of Space-Moose epoch as well. Apparently we’re about the same age. Clobberin’ Time rings a bell but I don’t know why!

168. cabbiesmacker says:

Hawks move a 4th for Handzus?

sigh

169. delooper says:

Henry: Would Nikitin and the CBJ 1st for Hemsky interest you?

My interest isn’t relevant. Lowe and Tambellini’s would be. I’ve never really understood this fantasy trading thing. Back in the 90′s I was a fan of the x-files. Far more “serious” fans than me would make up fantasy x-files episodes where Mulder and Scully made-out. I always viewed that as a little over-the-top but tolerable in a hopefully cute sense of “wow they’re enthusiastic”. I view fantasy trading as sort of like that. It’s well beyond fandom to some kind of self-play. But it’s not clear what purpose it satisfies.

170. G Money says:

Mr DeBakey:
    What years were those?

I was there from 89-93

He was there earlier than that

Huh, that means he was there the same years as I was … didn’t even remember. However, my buddies and I did publish some articles and letters in the Gateway and The Grind under the nom de plume “The Bonehead”. E.g.

You decide – Spector or The Bonehead.

171. delooper says:

Continuing my last post — I suppose I should have prefaced that. I also find people’s fascination with flowers somewhat odd. We don’t walk up to people or dogs and sniff nor admire their genitals. But with plants we’re all “woohoo! look at this guy’s reproductive bits!! smell’em!!”

I don’t know why so many people are so hyped about plant genitals.

172. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    For the record I called the AAV on the Hall, Eberle and now Smid contract.

So what’s your call on the Khabibulin and Whitney extensions? Curious minds want to know.

173. Oilanderp says:

delooper,

Sure he is a slow skater, but really do we need to bring his genitals into this?

174. Suntory Hanzo says:

Captain Happy,

I live in Abbotdford, and it is true – the team is not supported very well.

A few years ago, the city put to a vote Plan A – which was to build a big arena (7000ish), a museum/gallery, and some excercie facilities. The vote passed, and then the city asked the provincial gov’t for help, and they said no. WHy? Because the people already agreed they wanted to do it, so why help?

The city signed a 10 year deal with the heat to guarentee that they break even. Unfortunately, many “hockey” fans out here say they don’t want to support a team fro Calgary as they are a rival of the Canucks. My response is that I go to the games and I grew up in Edmonton. I understand the hatred of the Flames, but it is still a local team, and it is a good time.

Often, one can get 2 for 1 tickets, and for the last two years, most fridays are 2$ beer and 1$ hotdog night. The cheapest bar in town with a hockey game in the baclground. They sell out most times when the Wolves come, and they sold out both Barons games earlier in the year, but usually there is only around 3000 on a good night – leaving it less than 1/2 full.

For the last few years, the taxpayers have had to support the team to the break even point. Around 1.2 million a year.

A few weeks ago, paper out of Utica NY stated that the Heat was purchased and will be moving to NY. Co-incidentaly, the Wolves conract was expiring.

So I am delighted on a few levels if the Canucks farm team moves here:

A) more attendance will equal less tax dollars subsidizing

B) it’s not the Flames

Hope that gives a locals perspective on the game.

Let’s hope for another game like Saturday. The friends around here that cheer for the Canucks lit up the texts to me 16 seconds in. Yay!

175. Marc says:

VanOil:
    The Sun is shining. Smid is sorted. The future just got a whole lot closer.

MC79 spends 800+ words talking about the Oilers resigning Whitney because they don’t know he’s bad at hockey and doesn’t bother mentioning the other possible reason that there are suddenly reports in the media that they’re looking at resigning him – ‘leaked’ by the Oilers to put pressure on potential trade partners to give up a Douglas Murray type return for him.

I mean it’s not like Tambellini has a track record of using his leverage to get a better deal for the Oilers. Other than not talking to Smid about a new deal until the week before the trade deadline. And Smyth until right before free agency started. And shopping Hemsky before the last trade deadline. And refusing to offer more than a bag of pucks to LA for Smyth.

Whitney told Matty yesterday (http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/03/31/edmonton-oilers-defenceman-ladislav-smid-will-be-signed-by-the-trade-deadline/) that the Oilers haven’t been in touch about a new deal (his exact words: “They’re not going to resign me”).

So if the Oilers genuinely are interested in resigning Whitney they:
    a. apparently decided to do so at some point yesterday;
    b. haven’t actually spoken to him or his agent about it and so don’t know whether he wants to resign and if so, at what price; and
    c. went straight to the media to talk about their sudden change of heart instead of going to his agent.

Or they could be making a fairly transparent attempt to secure a better return for Whitney if they do trade him.

176. Suntory Hanzo says:

Woodguy,

Wow. I was there 90-95! Have the SPace Moose comic (signed) and the T-Shirt!

Captain Happy,

I live in Abbotsford, and it is true – the team is not supported very well.

So I am delighted on a few levels if the Canucks farm team moves here:

A) more attendance will equal less tax dollars subsidizing

B) it’s not the Flames

Hope that gives a locals perspective on the game.

177. Suntory Hanzo says:

oops.. messed up the edit button. Spelled my town wrong in my big write up…

178. Ducey says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Hawks move a 4th for Handzus?

sigh

Handzus looks to be done. 2 points, -9, -14 Rel Corsi and 36 yrs old. Not sure what you like there.

It is a further reminder that a team trying to make the playoffs can dump a few peripheral players.

In regard to Whitney being re-signed, I’ve always wondered about the timing of the medical procedures. Were these done with the team’s blessing? knowledge?

I’ve always wondered, never have been able to piece it together.

180. Ducey says:

ANA just traded for Harry Zolnierczyk

*sigh*

181. denny33 says:

Where do you stand LT – with regards to trading Whitney, Khabby or maybe Jones?

denny33:

Where do you stand LT – with regards to trading Whitney, Khabby or maybe Jones?

I’m standing on my deck, and would like to see the Oilers add:

1. A veteran defenseman like Mark Streit
    2. A veteran center
    3. A veteran winger like Eller
    4. Ben Bishop

I’m fine with all three of Whitney, NK and Jones heading out, but am also okay with placing all three on waivers if the club needs the room to add my choices above.

183. Bank Shot says:

What if the Oilers acquire Ryane Clowe, either now or in the offseason?

That gives them a guy like Mike Brown that can actually play hockey. Clowe’s value is likely very depressed now because of his epic scoring drought, but his shots per game and corsi are pretty much the same as last season, and they are not bad numbers.

He’s a guy that can play 2nd/3rd line minutes, and protect the kids. Nobody wants to mess with Clowe.

184. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey: Handzus looks to be done. 2 points, -9, -14 Rel Corsi and 36 yrs old.Not sure what you like there.

Perhaps you misunderstood the real meaning for my sigh?

I fart more useful things than Handzus

185. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey:
    ANA just traded for Harry Zolnierczyk

*sigh*

The Comedy Club just traded Phyllis Diller for Ducey.

snark

186. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    If Montreal trades Lars Eller i’ll be a sad-sad man.

You can have Moen tough. Take him and run away.

Omark for Emelin?

Too much from the Oiler side?

187. denny33 says:

I see…..

Apparently, a lot of teams are after Bishop….

188. spoiler says:

189. Ducey says:

cabbiesmacker: Perhaps you misunderstood the real meaning for my sigh?

I fart more useful things than Handzus

You might be able to get a third rounder from the Hawks then.

190. spoiler says:

Kesler expected to be back in a week per Farhan tweet.

Hopefully that’s after the weekend.

191. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ducey,

So there IS a market for Belanger.

192. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler: I won’t be upset if the Oil don’t add anything this deadline. Anything worthwhile–ie better than say Handzus above–is going to cost real assets in this market. We’re not a Cup contender this year, so to spend like that makes no sense to me. Would be happy if we just cut one or two pieces loose. Maybe make a minor move. Hockey trades, which is what this team really needs, are easier and cheaper to do post-season.

193. denny33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

GREAT point!!

Like the Douglas Murray trade – if ST wants – you have to believe some players *could* be moved for prospects/ draft picks..

194. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Yeah, this is exactly how I feel as well. They’ve come this far with this group, let’s let this thing play out and see what happens. I think they will move Whitney, and they’ll move Jones, both for picks. And they’ll run with this group.

I think Peckham is the likeliest to go. I think Whitney and Jones both depend on what they get offered for them.

195. LMHF#1 says:

Any chance the Senators move Lehner and not Bishop?

Newer Comments »