FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)

Saturday night was one of those nights we’ll remember for a long while–winning a big game against a superior opponent is a tough assignment–but tonight’s game is just as important. The Calgary Flames may be minus Jarome Iginla but that doesn’t mean they’ll lay down for the upstart Oilers. It is–as they say–a huge game at Rexall tonight.

CALGARY IS SIN CITY

Jim Matheson got the story yesterday–all of it. A very good article in the EJ laid it all out for Oiler fans in regard to Laddy Smid and contract.

• Smid: “I’d like a five years, around that term. Yeah five years at $3.5 million (a season), that would be nice. I’d be more than happy with that. Obviously you look around and see what other guys are making. I do think we’re getting closer (to a deal).  Negotiations are pretty good right now. We have three days left and I’m really hopeful  we’ll get a deal done. Obviously we have to have something done by Wednesday. I would hate to be traded.  We have a great thing going on now and I’d hate to leave.”

I’ve been hard on Smid over the years, he learned on the job at the NHL level and that wasn’t fair to him or the fanbase. However, if he’s willing to sign that contract then Oiler fans like me should understand it for what it is–a substantial reduction in what he could get on the free market and a massive gesture to the Oilers and the fanbase. I don’t think we can see it any other way.

UPDATE: Oilers just tweeted out a 4-year deal at $3.5M a season. Great contract.

CALGARY IS FULL OF LOLLYGAGGERS

Oilers called up Anton Lander, but he won’t play tonight. He’s here as insurance.

• Krueger: “Bringing up another player puts pressure on people, keeps the other 12 forwards honest. He’s a versatile player, a good depth player. He can move up and down the lineup. The six points he had (Saturday) doesn’t hurt.”

Oilers have a 23.8% chance of making the playoffs this morning, and a win tonight puts them into the “real chance” to make the post-season category. What’s more they are on track with reasonable expectations at this time:

2012-13 PROJECTION (48 GAMES)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 131
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 138 (including 7 EN goals)
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.73 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.88 (2.83 last season)

2012-13 ACTUAL (34 games)

• TOTAL GOALS FOR: 85
  • TOTAL GOALS AGAINST: 92
  • GOALS PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.50 (2.52 last season)
  • GOALS AGAINST PER GAME AVERAGE: 2.71 (2.83 last season)

Minus 7 projected, minus 7 in fact after 34 games. It’s been a crazy year, but the Oilers are finally scoring at reasonable levels 5×5, and they also boast the 4th best powerplay and 7th best penalty kill.

5×5/60 (FORWARDS)

1. Taylor Hall 2.94
  2. Sam Gagner 2.16
  3. Jordan Eberle 1.89
  4. Ales Hemsky 1.59
  5. Shawn Horcoff 1.52
  6. Nail Yakupov 1.39
  7. Magnus Paajarvi 1.39
  8. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.29
  9. Lennart Petrell 1.22

Hall’s number is tied for 10th in the NHL among regulars, and 3rd among western conference players who have been in 20 games or more (he trails Matt Cullen and Jonathan Toews). Hall–at 21–is ripping up the toughest hockey conference on the planet 5×5. Coach Krueger has him getting supreme zone starts and the qual comp suggests Hall is getting a push there too, with the result being some quality  even strength scoring. That’s a nice number for Samwise, too.

CALGARY IS NOT HELL, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM THERE!

“With the 83/84 season, the Oilers revolution in playing style began to make its influence felt on the league. The tight defensive style of the Islanders, depending on big players and clutch-and-grab tactics to slow opponents down, was proving ineffective against the Oilers as teams tried to hold them in check. Sather had emphasized speed and finesse in building the team, and the Oilers could not be stopped by trying to stand up to them at the blue line, or clogging the neutral zone. They played a creative, high tempo passing game that took the action aggressively to opponents. Five up was how the style came to be described, Oiler forwards were on top of opponents defensemen and the Oilers defensemen moved up to engage the forwards. “

Douglas Hunter, the Glory Barons.

gyj.jpg

This is a huge game, ladies and gents. Tonight, the Edmonton Oilers can win and move into a playoff spot as we head toward the deadline. The Oilers could add–Streit, Glencross, a center–and could subtract too. It may be wise to do both–but first they must win tonight to give themselves the very best chance available to them.

Godspeed, young men. Thanks so much for giving us something real to cheer for, after so many, many days, months and years of losses. After a generation on gravel, you’ve finally reached the blacktop.

628 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS G35 (12-13) 1.4.13 (SMID SIGNS!)"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. JohnnyRocket says:

Space Moose!

My brother drew a comic “Angus” around towards the tail end of the “Space Moose” years.

Remember “Paneled Heat”? by Mike Winters? I loved that comic. Him and Chris Boutet (who drew “Lazer Comix”) were friends of my brothers and went on to create the “Covered in Oil” blog. Loved that blog. Lowetide and Covered in Oil were my go to’s during the cup run and the dark era after the Pronger trade.

2. prairieschooner says:

In regard to Whitney being re-signed, I’ve always wondered about the timing of the medical procedures. Were these done with the team’s blessing? knowledge?

I’ve always wondered, never have been able to piece it together.

As I heard he did one procedure at one team and the other at the second team.
    the decision was his and I also heard that the bill for the procedure was passed on to the team he joined ( The Oilers paid for the second procedure)
    Philly lost 2 defence men on the weekend and have called up two from the farm.
    If only we could find a dance partner for Whitney, who has been playing better of late Hmm?

3. spoiler says:

spoiler: I think Peckham is the likeliest to go. I think Whitney and Jones both depend on what they get offered for them.

That said, the lack of offers to either player is pretty telling.

I’m not sure the Oil will be in any better frame of mind tonight than the Flames, considering we’re younger and there’s going to be some anxiety over trades and change throughout a significant portion of the line up. Nightmare needs to keep them focused.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

5. prairieschooner says:

The 2 D men Philly lost were both victims of the” Edmonton Injury” so not short term issues

6. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey: You might be able to get a third rounder from the Hawks then.

My eyes went a little funny there. I saw 2nd liner from the Flames for a second

Don’t be dissin the Blackhawks either buster. You’re not in a “diss” position

bwa

Bruce McCurdy: So what’s your call on the Khabibulin and Whitney extensions? Curious minds want to know.

Nyet on Khabby.

80% no on Whitney, he’ll want more than what they offer.

8. BlacqueJacque says:

I just caught the end of the Space Moose years. Classic stuff.

Today’s Gateway is shamefully untalented in the comics department by comparison.

That comic was true art. No exaggeration. Like some music acts (The Pixies), it came before its time. South Park and Family Guy would eventually get there.

9. bendelson says:

LT

I’d like to go record and state that over the past ten years, I have never once reminded the crowd about an accurate prediction I have made…

But the first opportunity I get….

10. spoiler says:

Sharks got their own pick back in that Handzus deal. Wonder if that determined where they would trade him.

11. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Nyet on Khabby.

I’ll see your nyet and raise you a “better the devil you know…”

12. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: spoiler, I think there are offers on the table now for Whitney, the Oilers are just waiting for team(s) to add the “other piece”(the Douglas Murray premium)Who knows with Jones-I think they’ve been playing him the last couple weeks(and Harty in OKC) to pump his stats a little(with little effect)

With Jones it might be to prove that he has no vision issues or any fear of being physical.

LMHF#1:
    Any chance the Senators move Lehner and not Bishop?

None, unless they get the world for him.

cabbiesmacker: I’ll see your nyet and raise you a “better the devil you know…”

Oilers want someone to keep DD on his toes.

Its not Khabby.

15. spoiler says:

I wonder with the long weekend and all, if Friedman knows it’s Monday and he’s supposed to think 30 times. Or has all this “action” forced numerous re-edits, lol.

bendelson:
    LT

I’d like to go record and state that over the past ten years, I have never once remindedthe crowd about an accurate prediction I have made…

But the first opportunity I get….

17. hockeyguy10 says:

spoiler,

18. spoiler says:

hockeyguy10: spoiler, Freidge tweeted earlier today the column would be delayed until tomorrow because of the trade deadline.

Thank you HG10. Saves me a few thousand “Refresh” clicks.

I doubt the Senators trade a goaltender till summer now, since Anderson has not played a game yet.

Lowetide: lol me too. I like to keep my predictions on the down low, except obvious ones like Pouliot’s comeback.

Hang on LT the 3 for 1 is coming…

21. Marc says:

Woodguy: Hang on LT the 3 for 1 is coming…

Sorta like this

Except that we want one man to enter and three to leave.

22. bendelson says:

Prediction: LT and WG will be very disappointed with Hemsky trade #1 but elated beyond words with Hemsky trade #2 – when he returns for a cup run a couple of years later.

23. G Money says:

Ducey: Harry Zolnierczyk

My wife totally hates it if I let my zolnierczyk get too hairy.

24. VanOil says:

TO talking to Kipper. Hopefully he is distracted further and not temped to show off against the Oilers.

That 3-for-1 trade goes all the way back to maybe 2008 or so, even if it happens I shouldn’t claim credit.

BUT WILL

26. spoiler says:

VanOil:

That makes me think that if Tambo is smart–and we all know he’s at least Mensa smart–he will make all his deals tomorrow, on the non-game day, to allow his young troops to get their minds around all the changes before sending them back into the Battle.

Assuming there’s gonna be an “all the changes”.

27. VanOil says:

spoiler,

Maybe Tambo is so Mensa smart that he cons TO into taking Bullin for the veteran backup they so desire. He has more cup rings than Kipper or Luongo. Scrivens might make a OK backup for the Oil we have had some success with Spruce Grove goalies in the past.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

VanOil: Bruce McCrudy is a cruel and brilliant man. His article is should not be considered an April fools joke but a manifesto for the NHL. I hope NHL fans around the league get to read it.

Thank you kindly, VanOil. (Even as I’m never sure to pronounce McCrudy with a “crude” or a “crud”. ;)

It started out some time ago as “If I Could Be Bettman For A Day” but when I asked myself “when would be a good time to publish that” the date of April 1 suggested itself so forcefully that it took on a life of its own and devolved into a faux interview with an unimaginably humble Bettman. Meant to get a few cheap laughs and make some serious points both. Thanks for reading in the spirit intended. You too, Lois Lowe.

Great thing about blogging is it gives us fans a soapbox and a megaphone (of however modest dimensions) to at least state our case. Wasn’t always that way.

29. FPB94 says:

cabbiesmacker: Omark for Emelin?

Too much from the Oiler side?

One of the things I pray for is a full Omark season in the NHL. Because, you know, I think he’s a player. Not perfect, but he can flat out play.

31. justDOit says:

VanOil:

Given the history of these two teams in trades, I’m surprised Feaster is even answering calls from a 416 area code. That will be an interesting deal if it goes down.

32. Lucinius says:

Spent some time today talking with my father about hockey, the Oilers and the season as a whole. This is a guy who only uses the internet for banking and otherwise sees the whole thing as ‘useless and bad’, and goes by ‘saw him good/bad’ entirely.

He loved the Smid deal, who he actually met once on the street (as he tells it, Smid nearly got run over by my father for singing while sauntering slowly across a cross walk) as he’s a big fan of the guy/player.

He’s also fascinated by the utter weirdness of this season and that, more than anything else, has rekindled his interest in the NHL beyond the Oilers. That and how utterly moronic the MSM are; like with declaring Ovechkin no longer a premier scoring talent.. right before he starts scoring again now that the Capitals have sorted out some horrific system play in the Oates system.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BUT WILL

when it turns into a 6 team deal involving 37 players (9 nhl regulars, 14 prospects and 14 picks), then what are you going to say?

34. FPB94 says:

Oh you’re preaching to the choir here for Omark. I just think Emelin is something else. He’s the best open ice hitter I’ve been given to see (and clean too)

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94:

36. VanOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks for the article, sorry about the miss spell. I sometimes thnik with a lisp.

37. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Oilers want someone to keep DD on his toes.

Its not Khabby.

Utopia is getting to that stage at every position.

38. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94: Never in a 1000 years. Omark isn’t worth anything; Emelin’s a disciplined Kasparitis with an offensive touch and he fits dandy with Markov.

I was just kidding bud. I like the player a lot.

Wanted to see if I could invoke a Rene Levesque retort

McCrudy doesn’t mind, although iirc he’s a pretty good speller. Pretty good speller? Is speller a word? Looks funny. Huh. Oh look, it’s 6:30!

40. FPB94 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Scott Stevens was a pretty good open ice hitter. Of course, you usually died if you got hit.

That’s why I took the time to mention ”Clean”

41. sliderule says:

The Smid contract is brilliant.

The Whitney for whatever will be brilliant.

Go Lowe Tambo Mac T

42. Captain Obvious says:

After leading the Swiss league in scoring Omark was a scratch in two of the seven games of the series Zug just lost. I don’t know if it was injury or a healthy scratch but his playoff numbers were way down and I read tweets of the coach being unhappy with him.

43. Ribs says:

mirtle
    Flames trade Bouwmeester to St. Louis.

D-men are gonna be all gone by the time Tambo gets around to things…*sigh*

44. Ribs says:

Flames get St. Louis’ 2013 first round pick, defenseman Mark Cundari and goaltender Reto Berra

45. justDOit says:

@DarrenDreger: Regehr to Kings for a pair of 2nd round draft picks. #tradecentre

46. Ribs says:

If Blues don’t make playoffs, first rounder deferred to 2014.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

so… who’s playing D for CAL tonight?

48. Smarmy says:

Blues get Bouw which seals their fate of getting into the playoffs. yesssss.

49. BlacqueJacque says:

The Flames’ fire sale continues.

Hey, Feaster…

“I’m sorry — Edmonton finished where last year, caller? Want to wager on where we finish relative to Edmonton this year? I’m tired of this question, I’ll tell you very honestly. I’m getting a little sour. How many teams . . . every year, for the last 10 years, five years, eight years, have finished in the bottom five, bottom seven, bottom 10? They’ve had a pick anywhere from No. 1 to No. 10 year after year after year after year, and they still wander in the desert. And they’re no closer to getting out than they were 10 years ago.

“You know what? I look forward to the Battle of Alberta for the next X number of years. If the idea is, ‘Burn it to the ground,’ then Ken can find another manager to do it.

-Jay Feaster”

Heh… heheh….heheheheh…. huehuehuehuehahahahahahahahahahahaha!

50. Ribs says:

Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Flames also say if Blues miss the playoffs, that 1st round pick in 2013 becomes 4th-rounder this year and a 1st rd in 2014

51. Smarmy says:

Calgary could get the rebuild going quick if they do their homework this draft.

52. Captain Happy says:

If the Flames can also get a first round pick for Kiprusoff, they can “retool” pretty quickly.

53. FPB94 says:

Smarmy,

Indeed, Very strong draft. Outside of Lazar i don’t see a bad pick in the top 30.

54. cabbiesmacker says:

Ribs:

Then promptly give them NTC’s.

That’s a weird payment for Bouwmeester. Oilers could have done better, especially considering the Flames might have been willing to protect it. My guess? Bouwmeester wouldn’t waive to come here.

56. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t see the Oilers giving up their first rounder for $7m of average defenceman who won’t be around for a Cup run.

The Flames were NOT going to trade Bouwmeester to Edmonton until it was an extreme overpay. Feaster has enough heat in Calgary as it is. The offer sheet to O’Reilly. Embarrassing the organization with the handling of the Iginla trade. Helping Edmonton make the playoffs would seal his fate.

58. FastOil says:

Now that Regehr is back in the conference, Steve should trade Hemsky immediately out of humanitarian concerns.

59. FPB94 says:

Great move by St-Louis.

They already are stacked on offense with Shwartz and Tarasenko in reinforcements, and their only weakeness was D because they traded Nikitin for Rusell and ended up with Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo + Void

60. VanOil says:

61. delooper says:

Will the Flames have enough players on hand to ice a team tonight?

62. Zelepukin says:

The Feaster hat trick would be trade Kipper before the puck drop. Best Forward, D-man and tender all traded.

63. Traktor says:

That’s not a bad deal for Calgary. Took back zero salary and they now have 3 1st round picks in a strong draft. They could probably pick up a few more picks and have an epic draft/great start to the rebuild.

BUT WILL

You certainly claim to be first on that one.

65. Lucinius says:

Traktor,

Really interesting in that the 1st rounder from St. Louis becomes a 4th this year and a 1st next year if St. Louis misses the playoffs this year.

66. striatic says:

VanOil: Does Detroit missing out on Bouwmeester might make them desperate enough to take Whitney?

i don’t think so.

i think Detroit is going to keep their picks and prospects in an effort to prevent a major tank job rebuild down the line.

Boston is more likely.

STL currently tied in MIN. good news if the wild can do us a favour tonight.

67. Kris11 says:

Had you told me the return for Iginla and Bouwmeester would be two late first rounders and some middling prospects, I’d have told you the Flames will need a talented (and/or lucky) GM to avoid five years in the league’s basement.

As all Oiler fans know, it takes a lot of time and luck to build even a modestly good team through the draft froms scratch, expansion team-style. (It’s better to have some decent or excellent players and try to keep a continually influx of players coming in through drafting and free agency than to try to build up from scratch.)

If they do move Kiprusoff, are they much better off than an expansion club (with a slightly better prospect pool) heading in to next year?

All that said, a good GM can make it work in Pseudo-Cowboy Town. Really not sure if that is Feaster, though.

68. jake70 says:

Traktor:

Let’s hope they draft a Gagner (well not really) , Plante, R Nash

cabbiesmacker: Utopia is getting to that stage at every position.

Not Uptopia.

Competence can you get you close once you have the kids EDM does.

70. cabbiesmacker says:

delooper:
    Will the Flames have enough players on hand to ice a team tonight?

The Feaster Bunny helping make all the Edmonton children’s dreams come true

71. FastOil says:

VanOil:

If Steve can’t deal Whitney for something decent, I , well, you know.

72. Kris11 says:

Does Kiprusoff accept a deal or just retire if he is traded? Will he retire next year, regardless?

73. Zelepukin says:

Kris11:

74. Captain Happy says:

Traktor:

They’ve also cleared up nearly $20 million in cap space.

With the cap dropping, they have the room to be big buyers in the free agent market.

And they may still get another couple of first round picks for Kiprusoff and Cammalleri.

Impeccable timing.

75. delooper says:

cabbiesmacker: The Feaster Bunny helping make all the Edmonton children’s dreams come true

Now my Oilers, harvest your Feaster Eggs! Harvest them before they hatch and turn into ??Feaster Beasts??

76. Southern Oil says:

Well this guarantees St. Louis won’t make the playoffs right? Need to keep Bouwmeester’s streak alive!

77. hunter1909 says:

M.U.S.T.
    W.I.N.
    G.A.M.E.

Oilers score tonight: 4-9 goals

flames score tonight: 0-3 goals

OT possible.

78. Kris11 says:

It goes without saying, but had the Flames moved Iginla, say, 20 months earlier, they could have brought back young talented players, and not just picks, and the same for Kiprusoff and even Bouwmeester. IMO, that is a much faster, smoother, and more reliable way to rebuild: trade for decent a young core of 20-somethings, and then add picks and free agents.

The Flames picks in this draft (even the lottery pick) will be unlikely to help them win this year or the next. That means free agents might be loathe to come to a losing team without an overpay for two years. Then all of a sudden you’re years in the basement, carrying bad contracts, a la the Oilers.

Oilers better win this game.

79. Kris11 says:

Zelepukin: If he is planning to retire after this season or even after next, why would he not want to finish on a cup run?

1. He is a weird dude, IIRC.

2. He might rather stay in Calgary than go on a cup run. If so, I wouldn’t blame him, if I were (shudder) a Pseudo-Cowboy Corporate-Dink fan.Family and community and sticking to a team are as commendable as going on a cup run as a mercenary goalie. IMO.

80. cabbiesmacker says:

Traktor:

81. Kris11 says:

hunter1909:
    M.U.S.T.
    W.I.N.
    G.A.M.E.

Oilers score tonight: 4-9 goals

flames score tonight: 0-3 goals

OT possible.

I don’t think that “possible” means what you think it means.

82. Captain Happy says:

Southern Oil:
    Well this guarantees St. Louis won’t make the playoffs right?Need to keep Bouwmeester’s streak alive!

STL 3 MIN 1

Late in the second period.

83. rickithebear says:

Bouwmeester gives up a goal a game @ even.
    your better even dmen give up 0.4/game
    How the fuck do you make up .6goals/game for the season.
    the answer.
    You do not!
    You end up being a shitty team.
    Calgary just got alot better.

84. Lucinius says:

Damnit, Minnesota.. St. Louis starting to pull away in the game; now 3-1.

Kipper is the Khabby of the Flames tank.

They actually aren’t terrible, but have AHL back up level goaltending.

86. spoiler says:

I was kind of hoping Gino would light himself on fire this intro, to describe the sale Feaster is having.

Maybe next game.

87. BlacqueJacque says:

cabbiesmacker: Lets get this straight. It’s a RETOOL….not a REBUILD. Jay has no time for rebuilds

Ken King needs to find another man if he wants an Oilers type of build.

88. delooper says:

Kris11: I don’t think that “possible” means what you think it means.

I predict either the Oilers or the Flames (or both) may score anywhere from 0-12 goals. OT possible. A 25 round shootout possible.

Now watch my predictive power!!

89. delooper says:

Hey, Kiprusoff is still on the Flames. I thought they had traded him.

90. BlacqueJacque says:

God dammit, I wish Calgary kept Iginla and JBo to the deadline.

It’s just not the same.

91. knighttown says:

ANyone have a working link?

Justin Schultz from a beautiful Hall setup. Lovely, just lovely. Eberle gets the 2nd assist

93. BlacqueJacque says:

Hallsy with a nice setup for Schultz’s slump-buster. Flames just standing around as Schultz basically sits in the slot.

94. spoiler says:

The cycle for the first line has been ungodly the last 3 games.

95. Lucinius says:

J. Schultz! Nice to see us get the first goal after a great start by the Flames.

96. striatic says:

solid.

now keep kicking them while they are down.

97. delooper says:

Lucky goal! The Flames are still in it!

98. spoiler says:

They’re like three little John Tonellis all of a sudden.

#tenacious

99. VanOil says:

My expectations of the 1st line are at risk of climbing to unreasonable levels when I watch them dominate there shifts.

100. hunter1909 says:

Thought after 1st goal:

Flames like one of those little gazelles the mother lion provides for the cub(Oilers) to play chase + snack with.

101. hunter1909 says:

Hall – same attitude as last game – he smells playoffs so now we see everything that makes a 2x Memorial Cup mvp.

Justin Schultz – seems like tonight’s break out guy.

102. delooper says:

The Hall line looks like they enjoy the taste of Calgary blood.

103. Captain Happy says:

SOG 8-1 Calgary.

That should work.

WOW! WOW!

105. spoiler says:

Gettin outshot 8-2. But we’re also 2 for 2.

106. BlacqueJacque says:

supernova

107. VanOil says:

delooper:
    The Hall line looks like they enjoy the taste of Calgary blood.

Vampires!

108. delooper says:

Blood!!

109. Lucinius says:

Look at that shooting percentage!

Who needs to shoot the puck a lot?

110. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909:

One of the reasons we chose Taylor over Tyler.

111. striatic says:

2 shots against Kipper, 2 goals against Kipper.

wonder how that showcase is working out for Feaster : ]

112. delooper says:

Calgary’s not out of it yet. 2-0. They’ve dug themselves out of 2-0 holes sometime in the past few seasons… right?

113. VanOil says:

Anyone concerned about unsustainable shooting % ? Or like me reasonably happy if they all go in!

114. Gerta Rauss says:

What a nice start..holy shit.

115. Lucinius says:

If we’re going to shoot like this, I say we need to get Smid more shots.

He could use a hatty or three.

Yes, I really, really want to see Smid score a hat trick. Who wouldn’t?

116. Traktor says:

The Moose has arrived.

117. JAG-041 says:

for real supernova

118. crude says:

mm mm MMM

119. BlacqueJacque says:

Really, Jones, you couldn’t pass that to Yak, who was mostly clear and in good scoring position?

120. spoiler says:

Horcoff with the Nuge.

121. Lucinius says:

There goes Jones, ruining the streak.

Thanks Jones.

Geez.

122. delooper says:

The Jones line has Calgary hemmed in their own end.

123. VanOil says:

Lucinius,

I am on board with a Smid Trick.

124. hunter1909 says:

This is too boring.

It will get better when they play better teams, these Flames are lottery-ville crap.

125. Lucinius says:

Flames actually looking good whenever they are in our zone.

Bad decision by Whitney there on the icing.

126. crude says:

Man, Whitney and Jones lookin’ suspect on that last shift. Get Yak away from Jones.

127. spoiler says:

hunter1909:
    This is too boring.

Confucius. And all that.

128. Bulging Twine says:

129. hunter1909 says:

I really enjoy hating Lennart Petrell.

130. delooper says:

Something is happening. The Oilers bring the puck into the offensive zone and I hope they score. And deep down I know it’s not unrealistic. That’s a great feeling.

131. Gerta Rauss says:

Bulging Twine: Whitney is a disaster out there in his own end. It isn’t just his immobility, it is more his poor reads!

Shhhh…he’s worth 2 2nd round picks and that’s all there is to it.

132. bookje says:

i think Kipper might do well if he is traded elsewhere.

133. hunter1909 says:

Is it true Lowetide’s giving everyone online medals? One for everyone who sat through the crap season before the sun broke through the clouds, and beamed radiant light on the fans for the first time since 1991.

134. BlacqueJacque says:

Magnusifent.

135. Lucinius says:

Detroit beats Colorado in regulation, which is unfortunate.

Need Minnesota to come back and beat St. Louis.. but thankfully, at least, Anaheim and Chicago are winning their games against Dallas and Nashville, respectively.

Oh lord, here comes the three year deal.

137. BlacqueJacque says:

Jonesy gets a Jonesy goal. Hopefully those shows signs of recovery.

138. Lucinius says:

Wow.

Jones?

139. delooper says:

Wow, a Jones do-it-yourselfer. Wow.

140. jp says:

That shouldn’t have gone in, but that was a little better for Jones.

Also,
    TO, do you really want that?

141. spoiler says:

Gooooooooood Ole Puuuuuump n Duuuuummmmp|

They gotta pull Kipper don”t they?

Edit: Yep

142. delooper says:

Yeah, that was an embarassing goal for Kip-kip.

143. Lucinius says:

Goalie change!

Kipper with 0.400 save percentage today!

Quick, trade for him now Toronto! PLEASE!

144. Smarmy says:

Geez it’s kind of sad (it isn’t) seeing kipper play this shitty.

145. delooper says:

Hall’s balls have grown in this game.

146. VanOil says:

crude:
    Get Yak away from Jones.

This.

147. crude says:

Soon as I pressed “Post Comment” I knew Jones was going to do something good to make me look the fool.

So, I will give him credit. Way to tuck the D’s stick under his arm and drive to the net.

148. jp says:

Paajarvi leading with his face there… Technique needs some work.

149. jake70 says:

Wow, MPS almost took one in the face, uggh.

150. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi! Don’t try to block things with your face. Leave that to Petrell and Jones.

151. FPB94 says:

So why does Toronto want that guy already?

152. Smarmy says:

FPB94:
    So why does Toronto want that guy already?

It’s the beauty of the Maple Leafs

153. spoiler says:

They might actually have us on scoring chances this period.

154. Lucinius says:

FPB94,

Because he’s a veteran!

And poise.

And some truculence.

And he’s got a cup! Wait, no.. but he has played for it, unlike most of Toronto!

155. VanOil says:

Lucinius:
    Kipper with 0.400 save percentage today!
    Quick, trade for him now Toronto! PLEASE!

156. Lucinius says:

Also, at this rate, the Oilers could be even at goal differential by the end of Wednesday’s game.

157. jp says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Jonesy gets a Jonesy goal.Hopefully those shows signs of recovery.

Pump and dump here please. Or at very least the latter part.

158. Lucinius says:

Giordano verse Eberle in a game of last goal wins?

That’s the Battle of Alberta in a nutshell now, actually……

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 5s

First period chances: 3-6

160. striatic says:

Halak injured in Minnesota.

Brutal turn of fortune for St Louis, even if they pull off the win.

161. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic,

The market for Khabibulin grows.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 5s

First period chances: 3-6

I just want to point out for Bookje that I posted this at 7:36pm, right before puck drop

Kipper is the Khabby of the Flames tank.
    They actually aren’t terrible, but have AHL back up level goaltending.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh lord, here comes the three year deal.

no, no, no… pump the tires for the trade!

VanOil: As a non-neutral that always hates the Flames and Leafs. This trade looks to me a win-win, both teams would suck more.

this, in spades. damn leafs fans cluttering up my town.

164. delooper says:

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 5s
    First period chances: 3-6

Those numbers can’t be right. I swear I saw Hall look at the puck more than 6 times.

165. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: The market for Khabibulin grows.

but how could Edmonton possibly trade Khabibulin to a team they are in competition with for a playoff ..

actually, that would be awesome.

Oilers would have an inside man, with a PhD in throwing games : ]

166. spoiler says:

I’m thinking no deal involving Whitney could be done till Bouwmeester moved. If there are still multiple teams in the defenseman market, getting value for him should now be pretty easy.

striatic:
    Halak injured in Minnesota.

Brutal turn of fortune for St Louis, even if they pull off the win.

Wow.

2nd best Fenclose and the 2nd worst goaltending and Halak goes down. Ouch.

Here’s the bottom 5 in team SV% this year

Philadelphia 0.892
    NY Islanders 0.890
    Florida 0.889
    St. Louis 0.884
    Calgary 0.882

WIth a goalie NYI are in the playoffs, STL for sure, mabye even CAL, instead they’re a joke.

The more I look at fancy stats the more I think “goaltending is everything”

168. Bulging Twine says:

Chased another goalie!

169. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

I don’t think goaltending is everything, but like quality pitching, you may not always notice when you have it, but you definitely notice when it’s bad.

170. hunter1909 says:

Tambellini hates everyone who posts on this blog.

Especially me. He’s shooting me the evil eye throughout the computer screen as type this.

171. jp says:

Really glad Tambo didn’t say truculence there.

172. delooper says:

Tambellini with his cards on the table.

173. BlacqueJacque says:

Whoah, Tambellini talking about making moves, making use of the cap space.

174. jp says:

Lucinius:

The last 4 periods have been fun, but hopefully they don’t fix their 5v5 SH% in a couple of games.

Tambellini’s actually getting better at interviews. Seriously. He isn’t speaking too quickly, he isn’t doing that thing he does where he seems to be dry and need a glass of water, and he’s using fewer crutch words.

176. dessert1111 says:

Does Tambellini remind anyone else of William H Macy from Fargo how he deflects questions? Also similar to most politicians.

177. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Wow.

2nd best Fenclose and the 2nd worst goaltending and Halak goes down. Ouch.

Here’s the bottom 5 in team SV% this year

Philadelphia0.892
    NY Islanders0.890
    Florida0.889
    St. Louis0.884
    Calgary0.882

The more I look at fancy stats the more I think “goaltending is everything”

how frustrated are they that they traded Bishop now?

and is J-Bow going to play net for them?

that is simply an amazing team with goalies playing bizarro versions of themselves vs. last year.

178. cabbiesmacker says:

Is there a website a guy can access that gives a players total puck possession time for the season?

I want to see if Petrell’s is in milliseconds or nanoseconds

179. delooper says:

dessert1111:

Little known fact, but Tambellini was the 4th man in the FLQ. He’s got reasons to be cagey.

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dessert1111:

“we’ve got that tru-coat all ready for you on your new station wagon!”

181. cabbiesmacker says:

dessert1111:
    Does Tambellini remind anyone else of William H Macy from Fargo

Nah. Shameless maybe

182. Gerta Rauss says:

I noticed that as well. There is a piece up at NHL dot com about the anatomy of a trade..it’s largely piffle but Tambellini acutally looked life like in the interviews.

183. jp says:

Glad that was Begin and McGratton!!

184. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    Tambellini hates everyone who posts on this blog.

I thought he was only doing that to me! now I feel better.

185. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Petrell’s Barker moment!

186. hunter1909 says:

Check out Tambellini’s eyes – Mark Messier’s kidnapped Tambo, and is posing as him wearing a Tambellini 99% suit.

That was Messier talking, with those scary eyes.

Oilmen own the Flames.

Calgary oilmen have been brainless idiots lately. They were totally unprepared for the North American natural gas glut. They were totally unprepared to the American tight oil revolution. They didn’t build any pipelines to get all the bitumen their were producing to market.

The way they are running the Flames is on par for the way they have been running the oil business lately.

188. hunter1909 says:

I’m starting to get worried about this game.

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

189. spoiler says:

That was a good run by the 3rd line there, basically because they didn”t let Jones touch the puck.

190. VanOil says:

godot10:
    Oilmen own the Flames.

Calgary oilmen have been brainless idiots lately.They were totally unprepared for the North American natural gas glut.They were totally unprepared to the American tight oil revolution.They didn’t build any pipelines to get all the bitumen their were producing to market.

As an Oiler fan I am way too stoned on prescription drugs to reply to this.

191. BlacqueJacque says:

Our first line is eating Tanguay/Stajan for breakfast.

192. hunter1909 says:

Cammalari looked like one of those little gazelles there.

Flame’s fans get to see an entertaining hockey game.

Expect St. Louis to be one of those 3-8-1 teams down the stretch.

193. jp says:

Woodguy: Wow.

2nd best Fenclose and the 2nd worst goaltending and Halak goes down. Ouch.

Here’s the bottom 5 in team SV% this year

Philadelphia0.892
    NY Islanders0.890
    Florida0.889
    St. Louis0.884
    Calgary0.882

The more I look at fancy stats the more I think “goaltending is everything”

Funny how StL are looking for a goalie, and Cgy are fielding offers for theirs.

194. SK Oiler Fan says:

Everytime the 4 line goes off they have to get a new puck. They just chop it to bits

195. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909: Cammalari looked like one of those little gazelles there.

ahahahah…..lol

196. BlacqueJacque says:

Smid’s a true-blue Oiler.

Like Bucky, he gets knocked around every fight but he gets up for more.

197. spoiler says:

Yakupov did everything right in his own zone 4 on 4 there. Very nice.

198. delooper says:

Suck them dry my Oilers! Nourish your bodies!

199. hunter1909 says: