FLAMES AT OILERS G41 (12-13) 13.4.13

As the days wind down on the season and the career of Oiler Ryan, I wonder if his thoughts turn to the next step, the next opportunity. A team that once banished him to Long Island might end up being the same team that lends a helping hand (should it be agreeable) to the other side of the game. Perhaps he’ll prefer to stay out of hockey for a time, furthering his other interests and watching his children grow up and become adults.

petrell2

I wonder too about Lennart Petrell, a man whose signing last summer may have been the harbinger of things to come. Petrell’s penalty killing and forechecking skills can’t outrun his ability to aid in sending the puck in the right direction–a malady that in fairness plagues his line and can’t be blamed on one soldier.

jones5

I wonder too about Eric Belanger, Ryan Jones, Ryan Whitney, Nikolai Khabibulin, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Andy Sutton. Some of these men have played or are playing their final games in the game’s best league, and will never see the NHL light of day again.

Losing is the kiss of death for older veterans who are role players–a man like Lennart Petrell can go back to SM-Liiga but Ben Eager’s concussions and Andy Sutton’s injury and Nikolai Khabibulin’s age all tell us their time is close.

And playing on a loser is no way to be remembered, but these men have no choice.

arterton1

As for the future, the cluster is strong and the future is bright and all that remains is finding the smaller parts that fit. So much has been done, and yet the obvious eludes the Edmonton Oilers. They need actual NHL players. Some of them are free agents, some of them are trades, some of them are waiver pickups.

This summer does not require broad strokes, but rather a finisher’s touch. They Oilers should not do the following:

• fire the head coach
  • sign any of their free agents
  • force their 1st rd pick onto the roster
  • go chasing after whales, monsters or coke machines

And they should

• find a legit top 4D who can calm Schultz the younger and serve as mentor
  • keep Nick Schultz as insurance for the new hire and to mentor the kids for one more season
  • find a line that works from the clay of Gagner, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Yakupov
  • find a veteran winger for Horcoff and the second line leftover to work on a third line
  • find a 4th line that the coach can count on
  • find a backup goalie who can play 20-25 games

WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY

There’s still part of the script to be written. The playoffs are long gone, but for a team that finished 30th, 30th and 29th in the past three seasons, a finish inside the top 20 should be the goal. A small victory? Yes. Let’s start with that.

235 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS G41 (12-13) 13.4.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. JAG-041 says:

I thought to myself at the start of the season, “I don’t think they’ll make playoffs, I hope they make it close, I’ll be okay (but not completely satisfied) with them finishing around .500″

I hope they can pull of a few more point before the end

very frustrating that the same issues have lasted all season and even from the pre-season
    the most pressing one has always been the lack of a true #1 D (I think J. Schultz will take the spot in a couple of years but right now he’s not there due to lack of NHL experience)
    I suppose management is alright with allowing our defence to suffer for awhile and wait for the younger kids to develop on the blue line as well
    sure is frustrating to watch ole #6 get stuck in his zone forever with no hope of clearing the first blue line
    I really feel for the guy, the season he broke his ankle in the games leading up to the injury he sure looked good by my eye

2. Ryan says:

LT, I always thought smart teams found a way to have an extra centre playing in the top nine on one of the wings. That way when one of your top three centres goes down, you’re not left running with a 4rth line centre on the 3rd line and an AHL centre on the the 4rth etc.

As for Kruger, he’s certainly an interesting interview, but I’m not as convinced that he’s doing that great of a job. Granted, I realize that the roster mess is largely at fault, but he doesn’t seem to be able to shift gears when things clearly aren’t working. There’s also the question of everyone outside of the top line falling down the Corsi elevator shaft this season. I guess it’s important not to distract the situation by blaming a coach for having a terrible roster of players.

I’m also not sure whether or not we’re Ballard’s Leafs or if Katz somehow thinks things are going according to plan.

Ryan: Krueger has been schooled a few times this season, but he’ll be better in year 2. I like his overall approach and frankly changing the coach again is insane.

4. RMGS says:

Horcoff-Jones-Petrell

I wonder what the Kaptain, a smart man (I think he may make a good coach or GM), thought when he walked into the dressing room this morning and saw this line on the board…

“The tank is on.”
    “WTF?”
    “Is mental.”

5. rich says:

Pretty significant “to do” list for this summer. Personally, I would add to that list some important moves in upper management that would make a difference when it comes time to decisions on the “on ice” product.

- Upgrade pro scouting before you go after any FA’s
    - Put Tambellini in OKC as GM of the Baron’s
    - Make Lowe hockey ambassador so he has nothing further to do with personnel decisions
    - Find a GM with a track record of building a winner.

Rich: I suspect pro scouting is going on now, Mact/Lowe have been watching NHR closely for some time.

7. Kris11 says:

Yeah, you almost can’t change the coach again just because the turnover rate would be insane.

I might talk to Krueger and bring in a better assistant who could serve as advisor (mentor, really) about how to roll the lines most effectively. An X’s and O’s guy.

Dump Smith and Buchberger. Also definitely dump a lot of the pro-scouts who must’ve signed off on Eager, Hordichuk, Petrell, Belanger, N Schultz, Jones, Khabbi, Smithson, Potter (and really Fistric, too, if someone said he could be top 4) and anyone who may have vouched for Whitney still being good enough to be top 4.

It is too much to hope for that they’ll drop Lowe and Tambellini.

Honestly, Lowe was better. At least he made some trades and occasionally found guys from nowehere who were better than expected: Glencross, for example.

If Tambellini goes and Lowe comes back into day to day control (now that the arena is more settled), or he puts MacT in charge as the new Tambellini, that is better than the status quo, if not nearly as good as dumping the lot. And if Tambellini goes and Lowe can’t find a replacement or himself be a good replacement, finally, they’ll have to replace him. At some point in 2025, anyway.

8. hockeyguy10 says:

Glencross(flu) and Tanguay(knee) are out. Flames recalled Aliu from Abbotsford….he will do something stupid tonight. I hope it isn’t to one of the kids.

rich:

- Put Tambellini in OKC as GM of the Baron’s

Why? The guy Tambellini hired is doing a sensational job.

Krueger wasn’t coaching to hide the flaws in the lineup. He was coaching to expose the flaws in the lineup. He wants to be here for a long time.

Krueger basically protected nobody, except maybe with zone starts a touch. I don’t think the kids minded one bit. I think some of the vets did.

Nugent-Hopkins was not hidden from Toews. Gagner faced the toughest competition he has seen yet.

Podcast is up. Former Oiler Doug Hicks, McCurdy, Parkatti, Corey Graham and James Mirtle. Parkatti and I had a huge argument.

12. sliderule says:

RK needs help they should hire a guy like perry Pearn who has worked for a real defensive coach.

The man defensive zone coverage at least I think it’s man just isn’t working.It takes too much thinking for a young team.

Our breakouts need some new thinking and our forechecking seems disorganized and those line changes that the other teams prey on……

Oh hell on second thought just fire the whole bunch

13. LoDog says:

Speaking of mental, I’d like to see the Oilers take 4 of the next 5 just for drama it would create around here. :)

Sadly, I disagree.

Playing a bottom 6 of 28-10,37 and 94-52-13 agrees with me.

Given the drop off in forward talent after the 7th pick (according to Derek’s research here: http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/13/2013-nhl-draft-rankings-seth-jones-valeri-nichushkin

1 Seth Jones D
    2 Nathan MacKinnon F
    3 Jonathan Drouin F
    4 Aleksander Barkov F
    5 Valeri Nichushkin F
    6 Elias Lindholm F
    7 Sean Monahan F
    8 Darnell Nurse D
    9 Hunter Shinkaruk F
    10 Rasmus Ristolainen D

I gotta hope the Oilers at the least get Monahan.

As of today the toilet bowl looked like:

10th EDMONTON 0.488
    9th NEW JERSEY 0.488
    8th BUFFALO 0.476
    7th NASHVILLE 0.452
    6th PHILADELPHIA 0.451
    5th TAMPA BAY 0.450
    4th CAROLINA 0.425
    3rd CALGARY 0.425
    2nd COLORADO 0.405
    1st FLORIDA 0.400

If the Oilers only get 6 points in the last 8 games they will finish with .468 pts%.

That’s really close to getting the 7th overall.

Might be enough.

I really have no idea which of those kids who would be best for the Oilers, but I trust the many people who say Monahan is much better than Lazar and I know if the Oilers cannot get Monahan, they take Lazar.

Larzar might be great, nothing against him, just that many think Monahan is much better. The world has been proved wrong before and EVERYONE who claims to know better today is a fool.

Variance makes fools of us all.

I want the Oilers to beat CAL though.

Fuck them and people who look like them.

Go Oilers!

*clap,clap*

15. stevezie says:

Kris11: Also definitely dump a lot of the pro-scouts who must’ve signed off on Eager, Hordichuk, Petrell, Belanger, N Schultz, Jones, Khabbi, Smithson, Potter (and really Fistric, too, if someone said he could be top 4)

Fistric started the season as the 7th man, what makes you think they thought he would be top 4? Jones is a flawed player, but clearly a good waiver pickup, and as a top farm option/8th D-man I’d say Potter has more than covered his bet.

There are enough real problems that we don’t need to create straw men for apologists to defeat.

“The world has been proved wrong before and EVERYONE who claims to know better today is a fool.”
    Hell yeah. Nobody knows anything; we’re all just picking dice to roll with.

16. rich says:

godot10,

Godot: IIRC, doesn’t Tambellini set the budget and make the final decisions on OKC roster? Thought I’d read somewhere where ultimately, he’s responsible for the roster. It could be he’s responsible for which of their farm system prospects play in OKC/Stockton and the OKC GM is responsible for the vets who play there, but I thought that Tambi was responsible for this.

17. VanOil says:

I would be happy with Smyth playing as 13th or 14th forward next year in a Player/Coach capacity. He has bleed enough blue and orange to say goodbye on his terms but does not look like an every game player any more. I would also be more happy with Brown in the press box only coming down for say the Battle of Alberta where using all of our offensive talent looks like it will be over kill for the next few years.

I am also on board for a change of one or both of our assistant coaches. Some one off the board like Krugger himself that brings a unique skill set would impress me, say someone with a strategic or statistical back ground. My personal suggestion as ever is Esa Tikkanen who I fully realize is just another rehashed player/old boy like we have now but he did event hos own language. It would be neat to see who Ralph would pick if it truly was his decision.

I am all for another Calgary beat down tonight with both Eberle and Yakupov getting there first hat tricks.

godot10:
    Krueger wasn’t coaching to hide the flaws in the lineup. He was coaching to expose the flaws in the lineup.He wants to be here for a long time.

Krueger basically protected nobody, except maybe with zone starts a touch.I don’t think the kids minded one bit.I think some of the vets did.

Nugent-Hopkins was not hidden from Toews.Gagner faced the toughest competition he has seen yet.

All true.

19. Bar_Qu says:

rich:
    godot10,

Godot: IIRC, doesn’t Tambellini set the budget and make the final decisions on OKC roster?Thought I’d read somewhere where ultimately, he’s responsible for the roster.It could be he’s responsible for which of their farm system prospects play in OKC/Stockton and the OKC GM is responsible for the vets who play there, but I thought that Tambi was responsible for this.

ST needs an ignominious public dismissal from his job, not a punt to another position in the org.

I am happy if either team loses tonight. Which makes it a distinctly uninteresting game.

Woodguy:

Sadly, I disagree.

Playing a bottom 6 of 28-10,37 and 94-52-13 agrees with me.

1Seth Jones D
    2Nathan MacKinnon F
    3Jonathan Drouin F
    4Aleksander Barkov F
    5Valeri Nichushkin F
    6Elias Lindholm F
    7Sean Monahan F
    8Darnell Nurse D
    9Hunter Shinkaruk F
    10Rasmus Ristolainen D

I gotta hope the Oilers at the least get Monahan.

As of today the toilet bowl looked like:

10th EDMONTON0.488
    9th NEW JERSEY0.488
    8th BUFFALO0.476
    7th NASHVILLE0.452
    6th PHILADELPHIA0.451
    5th TAMPA BAY0.450
    4th CAROLINA0.425
    3rd CALGARY0.425
    2nd COLORADO0.405
    1st FLORIDA0.400

That’s really close to getting the 7th overall.

Might be enough.

Larzar might be great, nothing against him, just that many think Monahan is much better.The world has been proved wrong before and EVERYONE who claims to know better today is a fool.

Variance makes fools of us all.

I want the Oilers to beat CAL though.

Fuck them and people who look like them.

Go Oilers!

*clap,clap*

Also,

If the OIlers finish with the 7th overall pick, Tambellini might be fired.

I really don’t think he makes any decisions, but I think his voice is heard.

I think he is not the right man for the job and if he goes that’s a good thing.

Addition by subtraction, like Wilson getting rid of his shittiest players for good picks and running 8-1-1- since Murray was traded.

Oilers need some of that type of thinking.

21. rich says:

Don’t get me wrong, I think Tambellini is way over his head as a GM and should have been gone long ago, but this is an organization that has trouble making big decisions…and admitting it’s mistakes.

Sending Tambellini elsewhere (OKC, Stockton, hey send him scouting to Japan for all I care) is a face saving way for this organization to make the change that they might do. And, what’s going on down there has been a good thing. If he’s not responsible, than so be it, turf him and move on.

But the “Detroit Model” in Edmonton (decision by committee) is not working.

22. Rondo says:

Does it really matter who Oilers get in the draft 2013?

Management does not know how to build a team.

Next year same time , same complaints.

Have the Oilers got better this year ?

23. dessert1111 says:

Watching the college hockey championships and seeing Kellen Jones for the first time.

His numbers and size and lack of verbal from the organization seem like there’s no way he gets a contract, but if he plays the 1st PP on the best team in college hockey, which he does he get serious consideration for a contract? He’s a core part of such a good team.

In the end I still doubt he gets added to the crowded 50-man list but it’s a unique consideration, it would seem.

24. Ducey says:

Stauffer mentioned this week that other teams’ people have told him that the system the Oilers play doesn’t work. They apparently play a lot of man coverage which breaks down in their own zone as people get out of position as they follow the opposition around. I am not sure what they call it but this pressure system they supposedly play just doesn’t work.

I think the lack of shots generated speak for themselves. There has to be a systemic problem. I think instead of playing something like RK created for the Swiss, the Oilers are trying to play a non trap system thats more upbeat. It just doesn’t work.

Not firing the coach because they have gone thru a bunch recently is not a reason not to fire him. I really like RK but I am not convinced he has helped much. Maybe its just because they can’t practice much this year.

I am hoping the Oilers lose tonight.

Not only will it help get them into that 5-6 slot that would secure a good pick, but a major fade down the stretch would probably mean some sort of regime change.

I have not been all that critical of Tambo because it think he did a good job of tanking. A lot of people tend to forget that that was the plan. However, I do have some concerns about his ability to make good deals and judge talent.

A new GM from outside would likely be given more rope in the first year and would presumably blow up the pro scouting department and take a fresh look at guys like Hemsky. Tambo is now at the point where public attention has turned to him, and its becoming a distraction.

Thats right, a new GM would be able to take more time to do the rebuild – more patience baby!

25. Rondo says:

7 years out of the Playoffs

3 # 1 picks in the draft

3 top 10′s in the draft

Justin Schultz a gift would have been a top 10

Still in the line up a #13 pick #14 pick #22 pick and #45 pick.

And this team is no better.

You think there maybe a problem

WG: Someone will jump up and grab Nurse, maybe the Finn too. Happens every year.

Ducey:

A new GM from outside would likely be given more rope in the first year and would presumably blow up the pro scouting department and take a fresh look at guys like Hemsky.Tambo is now at the point where public attention has turned to him, and its becoming a distraction.

The pro-scouting department predates Tambellini, and is the only part of the organization that he was not allowed to fire apparently. Why would a new GM be able to fire Lowe’s cronies?

In the pictures the Oilers tweeted of the warroom at the trade deadline, Lowe, not Tambellini was at the centre of the desk/table. What competent GM candidate would want to walk into that situation?

Who are the people who have been added this year to enhance the pro-scouting. MacT and Howson, who again are Lowe’s guys, not Tambellini’s.

Tambellini is the GM of the grunt work. Lowe is the GM of pro-player procurement.

Why would Lowe fire someone who is content doing all the tedious GM grunt work, while he and his buddies get to do the fun stuff?

David Poile always drafts defensemen. The Oilers can rely on him to pick Nurse or the Finn if they pick before the Oilers! -).

29. Matt.N says:

Rondo:
    7 years out of the Playoffs

3 # 1 picks in the draft

3top 10′s in the draft

Justin Schultz a gift would have been a top 10

Still in the line upa #13 pick #14 pick #22 pick and #45pick.

And this team is no better.

You think there maybe a problem

Maybe it’s time to fire the trainers again!

30. FPB94 says:

Aleksander Barkov Tappara (FIN) C 6’2/205 53 21 27 48

Alexander Wennberg Djurgardens (SWE) C 6’1/174 49 14 21 35

Anthony Mantha Val d’Or LW 6’4/190 67 50 39 89

Kerby Rychel 22 Windsor (OHL) LW 6’1/200 68 40 47 87 -21

Elias Lindholm Brynas (SWE) C 5’11/181 48 11 19 30

Hunter Shinkaruk Medicine Hat (WHL) C 5’11/174 64 37 49 86

Frederik Gauthier 19 Rimouski (QMJHL)C 6’5/210 62 22 38 60

IMO the guys that should be targeted in order.

31. Matt.N says:

godot10,

The one scene that really stuck with me from Oil Change was the Hemsky signing. Hemsky was in the room with Lowe. After he signed and walked out of the office, Tambo was there to ask him what happened and shake his hand. The GM wasn’t even in the room for a big decision.

FPB94:
    Aleksander BarkovTappara (FIN)C6’2/20553212748

Alexander WennbergDjurgardens (SWE)C6’1/17449142135

Anthony ManthaVal d’OrLW6’4/19067503989

Kerby Rychel22Windsor (OHL)LW6’1/20068404787-21

Elias LindholmBrynas (SWE)C5’11/18148111930

Hunter ShinkarukMedicine Hat (WHL)C5’11/17464374986

Frederik Gauthier19Rimouski (QMJHL)C6’5/21062223860

IMO the guys that should be targeted in order.

There’s no way the Oilers draft Shinkaruk ahead of Lazar.

33. Rondo says:

Are the Oilers still interested in Yale’s Antoine Laganiere or is he too big.

34. FPB94 says:

I like him a lot. He’s been a 80 points guy for 2 years now. I’d rather take that than a guy who’s shown an alarming inability to get assists. Guys like that don’t track too well.

35. BONVIE says:

They should have fired him already, they fired Renny for similar results and his roster had a lot of key injuries. Krueger had to deal with replacing third and fourth line players, and failed. Nelson is down in Oklahoma winning with a rookie lineup, and he has a personality too. They need to give him the job that he should have had last spring, and send Krueger packing.

36. delooper says:

The doom-and-gloom sentiment here is sad. The Oilers took a giant leap forward this season. If they had won a couple more games and made the playoffs the sentiment by most of the sky-is-falling crowd would be completely different. This is silly.

37. BONVIE says:

If they would have won a couple less they would have been around dead last.

BONVIE:

I mean it’s incredibly funny, except it’s us!

39. BONVIE says:

Lowetide: When your GM returns ALL of the third and fourth lines it limits the coaching options. “well, we’ve got pure shit at center and shit incorporated on each wing, and on the 4th line we’ve brought back the entire outhouse!”

I mean it’s incredibly funny, except it’s us!

But if you isolate the fourth line how can you look at them and say they cost you a significant number of games its not like they have terrible minuses, they just were not exceptionally effective, but like most teams the fourth line only fills out a roster, but they are’nt the ones that will dictate wether your team is a winning team or not. A good coach gets good mileage out of these types of players, see Todd Nelson.

40. VanOil says:

Cheer up folks were playing Calgary!

As sad as it is to see them have the third overall pick. Have faith Fester could still screw this up.

41. jp says:

VanOil:

My personal suggestion as ever is Esa Tikkanen

Known for his communication skills from what I hear…

Interesting idea though.

42. Rondo says:

Hire Brian Burke

43. BONVIE says:

Or we could still finish lower and then let Steve work his magic…and bang first overall again.

44. sliderule says:

If they don’t fire RK and the whole bunch by july 1 then by Jan 2014 they will fire RK and put Smith in with Bucky as first asst.

Or even worse reverse the names with Bucky taking over.

How would you all feel about that?

45. Captain Happy says:

I mean it’s incredibly funny, except it’s us!

The GM has brought in Ryan Jones, Eric Belanger, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Lernnart Petrell, Magnus Paajarvi, Anton Lander, Lennert Petrell, Gilbert Brule, Colin Fraser and Ryan Stone to play in the bottom 6.

If you can’t cobble together a bottom 6 from that group, perhaps the issue is with the GM.

46. Captain Happy says:

Rondo:
    Hire Brian Burke

This.

It would require the firing of Kevin Lowe, and we would all be in a better place if that happened.

47. Rondo says:

2 AHL teams playing tonight .

48. VanOil says:

NHL.com is already suggesting Sam lost the opening draw. The TV looks like the game is yet to start.

49. oilersfan says:

Fpb why do you not have Monahan on your list and why is Gauthier on it – he doesnt make your ppg cutoff. Doesnt really make sense for a top ten pick. If adam creighton is the ceiling the ceiling isnt tall enough. Pun intended

50. Gret99zky says:

slow start I guess.

zzzzzz

51. VanOil says:

We don’t always have to spot them 2 goals do we?

52. Gret99zky says:

Petrell. The shit winds are blowing.

53. VanOil says:

Petrell sniping his way into a 3 year contract.

54. striatic says:

YAKSSSSSSS!

55. Scotty LaDouche says:

What the NHL needs- more calling back of goals.

56. VanOil says:

Yakupov is the rookie of the year. The eastern press will feel foolish in a few years not voting for him.

57. kinger_OIL says:

Why haven’t we read one post about the merits of tanking now? We are 2 points out of the lottery today. Tank is what prudent management would do: making a statement for next year, being competitive, etc, that’s all bs: Hemsky out, starting G out: that’s a good start for a tank: no trades at deadline: more clues… Would you rather draft 5th or 10th…

Yak City is the man. Love that guy. No goal, though.

59. BONVIE says:

Thanks officials, help us draft top 5.

60. striatic says:

i understand that being called back, as per the rules.

but that sort of goal really should count, even if it means altering the rules.

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Fire Lowr, trade Gagner, extend Petrell.

#firelowe #firemactamblowe

62. striatic says:

kinger_OIL:
    Why haven’t we read one post about the merits of tanking now?We are 2 points out of the lottery today.Tank is what prudent management would do: making a statement for next year, being competitive, etc, that’s all bs: Hemsky out, starting G out: that’s a good start for a tank: no trades at deadline: more clues…Would you rather draft 5th or 10th…

i’m quite happy if Edmonton tanks to end the year, but not tonight.

tonight we need to win no matter what.

63. Scotty LaDouche says:

What is so heinous about kicking in the puck anyways?? Never understood that one.

64. BONVIE says:

65. BONVIE says:

Scotty LaDouche:

Injury issues having players kick in a scrum with those razor badges on their feet.

66. delooper says:

If Jones could pass he’d be a really good player.

67. striatic says:

BONVIE: Actually the rules say distinct kicking motion for disallowed this was a redirect.

it was a redirect where Nail used his leg in a pendulum motion through the puck in order to execute the redirect.

should have been a no goal.

the rule is a bit stupid as it is meant to discourage players kicking in scrums in front of the net, which can be dangerous – but it penalizes all kinds of non-dangerous redirects.

the rule should probably be related to using the force of a kick to add velocity to the puck or something like that.

68. BONVIE says:

This is the time of year I celebrate all of the calls that go against us.

69. speeds says:

striatic,

Perhaps. I’ve always taken the position that I don’t think goals should count unless they go in off the hockey stick.

I mean, if it hits the defensive team off the skate or shin pad and goes in, that’s fine, but if the last touch by the offensive team isn’t off some part of the hockey stick, no goal.

70. asiaoil says:

No boxcars but MSP had an absolutely beauty period of two way hockey – what player he’s going to be when he fills out and adds a bit more of an edge to his game.

71. VanOil says:

With all the specialists on this team these penalties are no problem. It will just mean the kids with talent are well rested.

72. Captain Happy says:

asiaoil:

Jannik Hamsen.

73. Ribs says:

Hoping for a win but in a foul mood this game. If Gagner lollygags his way into the neutral zone with the puck one more time I may send something through the television.

74. dessert1111 says:

Are they playing Khabby tonight to see if they want to resign him? Elevating Petrell for the same reason?

I hope to god they don’t extend Whitney, Fistric, Khabby, Smithson or Hordichuk. I think a case could be made for Petrell or Jones and I won’t be too upset either way.

They need to reevaluate what the hell Smyth is going to do next year.

If they are just evaluating now, wouldn’t mind seeing some OKC guys get a few games.

75. Ribs says:

dessert1111: Jones had a few really good shifts. He can foot-handle pretty much as well as he can stick-handle, which isn’t necessarily a compliment, but useful for the cycle I suppose.
      (Quote)  (Reply)

Horcoff with the nice kick pass to Jones to set up the play was pretty good, too.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 39s

Total chances: 6-12; 2-4 ST Oilers pick late moment in the year for their low point

77. Gret99zky says:

Maclean still talking about the Oilers making into the post season.

78. Ribs says:

Cervenka benched? Or what?

79. Gret99zky says:

dessert1111,

get ready to be disappointed. I can easily see Whitney, Fistric, and Khabby getting extended next year. This is the Oilers we are talking about. The future is always so bright.

80. delooper says:

Gret99zky:
    Maclean still talking about the Oilers making into the post season.

He’s a really optimistic guy. Read his book? Unfortunately Don Cherry’s forward in the book is the best part. But there are some nice moments.

81. Ducey says:

kinger_OIL:

There is no lottery anymore. All non playoff teams have a chance to win the #1. The odds are just better the worse you are. What I am unclear on is if just the winner of the lottery moves up to #1 or whether they sort the teams based on the draw.

Anyone know?

82. Ducey says:

Ribs:
    Cervenka benched? Or what?

83. Ribs says:

Ducey: He only got a few shifts in yesterday’s game too. To think he was going to be their #1 C back in September.

Haha yes. That was great. “I’m actually a winger.”

84. maudite says:

Ducey,
    The lottery will still work on a weighted system – the team that finished the season with the fewest points will have the best odds of winning the No. 1 pick – and no club can move down more than one spot in the draft order.

The likelihood a team can win the first overall pick, from the club with the fewest points to 14th, is as follows: 25%, 18.8%, 14.2%, 10.7%, 8.1%, 6.2%, 4.7%, 3.6%, 2.7%, 2.1%, 1.5%, 1.1%, 0.8% and 0.5%.
    ———————————————
    It would make even more sense if they drew for everyone in the order. That would really reduce the overall point of tanking.

85. Gret99zky says:

wow. this team is not good at hockey.

86. VanOil says:

Gret99zky:
    wow.this team is not good at hockey.

Please clarify. Which team?

87. TheOtherJohn says:

Guys

Tanking does not mean assembling a shitty roster and then being surprised that you lose.

It means assembling a roster that is intended to lose

We are the former, not the later. You don’t get to change definitions at year end when you suck.

Best idea, blow every hockey operations staff member out the front door. All of them!! Every single one of them. Undoubtably there are a handful of guys that you would be mistaken on but it beats the time it would take to identify who is competent (small#: 30, 30, 29), who is marginally competent and who needs to be “spotted” 3 letters to spell the word cat. Expect Oilers have 8-10 guys in later category.

As we speak we are looking at 20 to 24th, that would have been mediocre progress one or two years ago but sweet jesus bad managers should simply be blown out the door.

Expect if Lowe was dumped by the Oilers he would never again get within 1/12th of his present salary.

Ducey whoever wins lottery is 30th and everyone slides ONE spot. We still draft bottom 10

88. rich says:

Have to hope that if this team can find a way to blow it here that the pressure on this management group gets turned up just a little more.

Hey, I’m trying to find a silver lining to a 7th consecutive season of bad hockey…

89. Ducey says:

Gret99zky:
    wow.this team is not good at hockey.

They are absolutely lost out there.

90. BlacqueJacque says:

VanOil,

Both. But the Oilers have the edge. Embarrassingly bad.

91. Gret99zky says:

Ducey,

my understanding of the new draft process is they draw for #1 overall (using the %’s) to select a winner. After #1 overall is determined it is just the order the team’s finished during the season.

92. BlacqueJacque says:

Fire Lowe chants, please? Waffles. Anyone?

93. delooper says:

Well that looked bad.

94. rich says:

The Bulin wall – re-sign him now Tambi/Lowe, you’ll save Katz a few bucks guys!

95. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque:
    VanOil,
    Both.But the Oilers have the edge.Embarrassingly bad.

And are playing a drunk goalie

96. Clarkenstein says:

Sometimes you wonder if JSchultz is the same player that started the season out there. He just doesn’t read plays worth a shit. Then there is Ryan Smyth. Fuck.

97. kinger_OIL says:

Tank 101: play players a) that aren’t NHL calibre, b) and/or bench NHL players c) bag of pucks:

a) non NHL calibre players: (my definition is put on waiver and not picked up by any other “playoff” contending team): Potter, Petrell, Smithson, Brown,
    b) Hemsky: you think he would be on IR if they won the last 4 games, and the next 8 games meant anything? DD – same, he would be starting if winning meant anything. Plus they planted seeds on other players that might tap out: Eberle et al..
    c) Bag of Pucks: Jones, Whitney, Smyth (hurts to type that, but what does he get today?).
    d) Bonus: pick up non-accretive players who go home for wife’s baby at deadline: that’s tanking…

So 4 non-nhl’ers, 2 “benching”, and 3 BoP’s. That’s 35% of roster, that equals tank. Someone smarter than me, please address. Tank is right now, and that is what they are doing. Next week, they can bring up the “call-ups”, for a “look-see”. Math says picking 5th way better than picking 10th…

98. TheOtherJohn says:

To clarify when I stated bottom 10, I mean a team that fell outside the playoffs and is drafting between 20th and 30th in a 30 team league.

Not 1st overall as some here define it

Ryan Smyth is dreaming of a White Christmas.

100. sliderule says:

I am revising my forecast RK will ne fired by dec .

We have had most of the coaching problems show up bad line change leading to goal chaos in own end.

All the usual stuff.

101. Ribs says:

looked like Whiteny almost broke both of his ankles again on that play

102. icecastles says:

Can fans ask to be traded?

I can’t seem to leave on my own.

103. kinger_OIL says:

P.S. – most of you on this site haven’t played competitive hockey, but those that have would recognize that even the team knows tanking is the way.. See game today.

104. BONVIE says:

If they were smart they would fire RK and Tambelina before the night is done, for all that Joey Moss has done for the organization they should make him an assistant for the remainder of the season and Steve Smith can be the boss till Nelson is done his playoff run.

105. BONVIE says:

icecastles:
    Can fans ask to be traded?

I can’t seem to leave on my own.

I hear your cry lol

106. icecastles says:

kinger_OIL: most of you on this site haven’t played competitive hockey

Interesting comment. And your reason/evidence for believing this is…?

107. delooper says:

Clarkenstein:

You expect a rookie college d-man to transition to the pro career without a hitch, where he’s being played like a #1 d-man? Not very generous of you.

108. kinger says:

“One of the better” backups in the NHL is in great form.

I said it once and I’ll say it again, his rebound control is just awful. It’s especially apparent when compared to Dubnyk.

109. TheOtherJohn says:

To ask competitive athletes to tank is exceedingly difficult to do. We have trouble mastering & executing the primary goal all kids are taught: to win. We are incapable of that but somehow are capable of executing tanking down

I think you are mistaken

Well with the exception of Kinger who knows both tanking and playing competitive hockey (Sarcasm inserted)

110. icecastles says:

kinger: It’s especially apparent when compared to Dubnyk.

At this point, I’d say Taylor Swift is better with rebounds than Khabibulin.

111. BlacqueJacque says:

Pleeeeeeaaaaase chant fire Lowe. Or throw a waffle.

112. kinger_OIL says:

icecastles,

This is a Fan site: not a players site, or an “insider’s site” I’m just suggesting the view from the other side. Posters here are for sure 95% fans. Nothing wrong with that. A Fan is by definition Fanatical, fervent. that is this site. (but I still love it, because it’s so earnest, and the articles, written with passion). Players play, posters post…This team is tanking: recognize it…

113. BONVIE says:

I enjoyed the Oilers era of dominating the flames but am afraid that it may becoming to an end as the flames rebuild is looking to be taking full flight, and tonight the writing is on the wall.

114. BlacqueJacque says:

#firelowe

115. VanOil says:

kinger_OIL,

I don’t see Hall or Yakupov recognizing any such thing. Most exceptional athletes are more delusional than fans, its what makes them great.

116. kinger_OIL says:

TheOtherJohn,

You don’t ask players to tank: you stack the cards so that they know that the house is going to win. 35% + of this team isn’t competitive. Pretty hard to compete with that…

117. Gret99zky says:

i’m hitting the mute button for the 3rd. Listening to Kelly Hrudey just sets my teeth on edge. And it is better to light one wee candle than curse the darkness.

118. BONVIE says:

Kneeing on your best player lol what a bunch of pussies, I bet nobody even does anything. Hit or fight or do something.

119. Kris11 says:

You know who played a lot of competitive hockey? Steve Tambellini, that’s who. And Kevin Lowe.

Yet for some reason, they have never actually seen a game, even now.

120. Kris11 says:

Yeah, this team needs more Darcy Hordichuk and Macyntire and Eager.

121. Gret99zky says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Pleeeeeeaaaaase chant fire Lowe.Or throw a waffle.

I doubt even 50% of the sheep in the stands know who you are talking about. They likely have to check the player’s # in their programs to know who touched the puck.

122. commonfan14 says:

kinger_OIL: Players play, posters post

Nice post, playa.

123. Ribs says:

Kris11:
    Yeah, this team needs more Darcy Hordichuk and Macyntire and Eager.

What’s Boulerice doing these days? Get the phone, quick!

124. BlacqueJacque says:

Gret99zky,

That leaves 50% of people who do know who he is.

125. FPB94 says:

Backlund is the type of guy this team needs. And I bet he’d be available for a 2nd rounder or so. Better than taking your 1st pick on that kind of guy.

126. BONVIE says:

Kris11:
    Yeah, this team needs more Darcy Hordichuk and Macyntire and Eager.

McIntyre yes. eager in his time in Edmonton i seen Gagner fight more, and hordichuk can’t play hockey and definitely can’t fight.

127. delooper says:

Looks like Cogliano is out of the Ducks lineup. Time for the Oilers to strike!

128. Kris11 says:

If I throw a beer bottle at the TV, will my wife be mad at me when she comes home?

129. Gret99zky says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Gret99zky,

That leaves 50% of people who do know who he is.

no, the other half are Flames fans.

130. asiaoil says:

The Oilers defense is awful but Smith seems to be made of teflon – the guy is a complete joke and you damn well know he’s not Kruger’s guy. Same with Bucky. Is there any worse set of assistants in the league? Is there any worse pro scouting in the league? Is there any worse front office? The boys on the bus plugged the toilet and the stink is everywhere.

131. Kris11 says:

Macyntire prevented injuries and cheapshots like the goggles protected McABain’s eyes while he was playing Radioactive Man and fell into the acid.

“My eyes. They burn. The goggles, they do nothing.”

Kris11:

No, because you didn’t burn the house down, which is the correct response to this game.

133. BONVIE says:

Kris11:

“My eyes. They burn. The goggles, they do nothing.”

Just because you don’t believe in gravity, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

134. icecastles says:

kinger_OIL,

So you’re saying that you are here but you are a player rather than a fan. And we are (for the most part) fans and not players.

This is ridiculous on so many levels, and makes you sound equally ridiculous.

Of course even if you were right, your comment would still make next to no sense.

135. delooper says:

Announcer mentioned “The battle of ontario, Calgary vs. Edmonton”

136. VanOil says:

BONVIE: Just because you don’t believe in gravity, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Science, Magic and Madness http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22105898

137. Kris11 says:

I alady used the “At least I didn’t burn down the house” excuse this week, though.

Is it just me or do these new-fangled flat screen TV’s look like they wouldn’t take the beatings that I have thrown (shame-facedly) at my old clunky picture-tube boxes of my youth.

Sometimes when I watch my flatscreen and the Oilers are playing, it is almost like the TV is just asking to be broken in half. Sooooooo tempting.

138. FPB94 says:

Kris11,

Remember how much it cost. And that it’s not responsible for the Oilers’ sucking.

139. BONVIE says:

I long for the old Oilers team of the late 90′s when they were losing Maltby,or Rice would run someone through the end boards or Thornton or Laraque or Arnott would punch someone out.

140. Kris11 says:

BONVIE,

Now I have to break my Ipad, too.

141. oilersfan says:

Does anybody else here listen to the games on ched and really really hate the commercials from telus with danny the telus installer for sports in hd? They play it 40 times a game and it was really bad the first time

142. Kris11 says:

But the TV won’t stop showing me the angry things, Why is it so mean and stupid? It must be punished.

143. FPB94 says:

BONVIE,

Also from this era: Oh Mcsorley’s totally going to get Brashear. OH SHIT WTF? Did he just kill Brashear?

Replace Mcsorley with Bertuzzi and Moore.

144. VanOil says:

Kris11:

The trick is blaming other technology. i.e. “it was not a beer bottle, I lost control of the controller playing Wii baseball.”

145. rich says:

Mark Lee: “The Oiler’s playoff hopes are faint, they need to stage a comeback”.

Jim Mora: “Playoffs? Playoffs”?.

146. FPB94 says:

rich,

We couldn’t shoot the puck, we didn’t try to shoot the puck, we sucked.

147. BONVIE says:

I seen a big hole in a 60 inch flatscreen once. It was right through, it sat in their living room for months after that too. it was a hammer or something the kid threw( when I say kid I believe he was about 20. I guess mom made him mad telling him it was time for bed while he was watching his favourite show.

148. BONVIE says:

FPB94,

What are you even talking about dude, I am talking about body checks and fights, and you bring up s.266.

149. BlacqueJacque says:

#firelowe people!

where is that kickstarter page?

150. Ribs says:

I think they’ve made more passes to Flames players than to their teammates this game. Blech.

151. rich says:

Way to go Oilers way to go…

Whoops.

152. Ducey says:

FPB94:

Tambo is that you?

153. BONVIE says:

That was a nice goal when those two oilers both went into the corner with the flames player to stick check them.

154. oilersfan says:

Justin Schultz has been terrible since about game ten

155. asiaoil says:

Hey didn’t you get the memo from the fools on Kingsway – it’s all going to plan.

156. Gret99zky says:

Losing to Calgary. Badly. This team is hopeless, completely hopless Charlie Brown. Rats!

157. Ryan says:

C’mon boys relax. Steve Tambellini is in his element. In fact, he’s in the zone. The tank is on.

How a team with 3 #1 OV’s can’t make the playoffs is borderline criminal, but heh, we’re going to be going into the draft lotto in the range of #6 and when those bingo balls start bouncing, Steve Tambellini will be smiling.

158. FPB94 says:

Ryan,

I feel they’re going to make an ”Oiler rule” like in the NBA where you can’t net consecutive N1 draft picks.

159. fifthcartel says:

We’re losing 4-1 to the Abbotsford Heat.

160. rich says:

A game like this is makes it hard for me to not think that the problem isn’t also behind the bench.

Clean house.

161. MrSmitty says:

We still doing the full page add in the Edmonton Journal calling for Lowe and Tambos heads?

162. BONVIE says:

Ryan:
    C’mon boys relax.Steve Tambellini is in his element. In fact, he’s in the zone.The tank is on.

Word, welcome NHL to Steve’s world.

163. Ducey says:

The good news is this makes it 5% less likely they sign Bulin to a multi year contract.

164. BlacqueJacque says:

fifthcartel:
    We’re losing 4-1 to the Abbotsford Heat.

I don’t know whether to laugh because it’s so true, or cry.

165. asiaoil says:

Check the sked – they may not win again this season and a top 3 pick is not out of the question.

166. maudite says:

So glad I walked away from bothering to watch this game after the first. See it’s 4-1.

Seems like we are showing these flames what tanking is all about. Mop the floor with them, while faintly holding onto hopes of a playoff birth, come back a week later and whammo! Whose going to end up the biggest loser now!

Hopefully we ride the MVP out to the end of the season and show these flames what losing is all about…

167. rich says:

ABOUT &*>! TIME THE FANS STARTED TO BOO THIS GROUP.

168. Clarence Oveur says:

The next title of the Oil Change series: “OcTAINT”

169. Rondo says:

BlacqueJacque,

And Khabby made some good saves tonight.

170. Ducey says:

rich:
    ABOUT &*>! TIME THE FANS STARTED TO BOO THIS GROUP.

The fans are booing us? What did we do?

171. Clarence Oveur says:

Calgary – 16 wins
    Edmonton – 16 wins

Fuck this team with a lunchbox.

172. BlacqueJacque says:

Clarence Oveur,

I’m laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

173. Southern Oil says:

rich:

Clean house.

Honestly, at this point I don’t give a damn about the coach as stupid as that sounds. As long as Kevin Lowe is the first one out the door (followed quickly by ST)

174. VanOil says:

Just ten day’s ago the denizens of Lowetide land comment over 500 times on a Edmonton v. Calgary game. Tonight if we can be bothered to cry we might make 200. If Katz faced a similar decline in business from poor play do you think different decisions would be made?

175. MISNO says:

Have fun with the f*cking draft lottery again, Tambo et al. Not like ANY pick you make will make one f*cking IOTA of difference in the garbage you present on the ice nightly. Did it feel good to get schooled by the ABBOTSFORD HEAT?????

I am done. I won’t watch another Oilers game this season. What a god damned joke.

176. BlacqueJacque says:

Southern Oil,

Let us get that kickstarter going! Full page ad thanking Kevin Lowr for his services. Four consecutive first overall picks, hiring back Scott “franchise killer” Howson, hiring Steve “sock puppet with poise” Tambellini and Craig “I rode the best player in the world to the finals before choosing the wrong backup” MacTavish.

177. Southern Oil says:

Robin Brownlee – twittter:
    “Flames are three weeks into a full-on rebuild. Oilers are three years into it. Do I have that about right?”

Patience man! We’re evaluating here!

178. rich says:

Glenn Healy: “The have the core, they just need to build around it. That should be easy to do”.

Obviously, he’s not been watching this management group the last 7 years.

The move to add Jared Smithson is going to be the defining moment for this management group, 0-5-0 since he joined the team is a symbol of the incompetence of this organization.

It’s time to clean house.

179. FPB94 says:

rich,

Jeff Halpern says hello.

180. mustang says:

BlacqueJacque:
    #firelowe people!

Who’s going to can his ass? Katz? He doesn’t watch this shit, If he did he would have along time ago.

181. Rondo says:

Rondo,

Got my answer tonight. No way a college player would choose the Oilers.

182. BONVIE says:

Maybe we need to blow this thing up and start a rebuild. Maybe its time for another “Oil Change”. Perhaps Steve may have to change the culture of the team.

183. RickDeckard says:

MrSmitty,

My suggestion is a row of graves with the 2006-7 through 2013 seasons buried and then open graves for Lowe and Tambo.

BlacqueJacque:
    Kevin Lowr

I don’t know if you did this on purpose but that is an excellent description of Lowe, constantly lowring expectations.

184. BONVIE says:

rich,

Maybe he knows something we don’t…eg easy for the next guy to do.

185. Southern Oil says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Southern Oil,

Let us get that kickstarter going!Full page ad thanking Kevin Lowr for his services.Four consecutive first overall picks, hiring back Scott “franchise killer” Howson, hiring Steve “sock puppet with poise” Tambellini and Craig “I rode the best player in the world to the finals before choosing the wrong backup” MacTavish.

Honestly I would like to see a nice ol chant at the Coliseum – “fire Kevin Lowe, fire Kevin Lowe”… Something similar to what happened in TO with Ron Wilson

186. BONVIE says:

MISNO:

That sums it up for me right there schooled by the Abbottsford heat a team oklahoma City can beat. You just need a coach that can get a little out his players, and a GM that will move those players that just wont bring it.

187. fifthcartel says:

I’m expecting the call up for Tyler Bunz and Travis Ewanyk to be announced tomorrow morning. Lowe/Tambellini are going back to basics.

188. OilClog says:

I hope they’re punching eachother in the face tonight.. Like they punched my heart.

Homewreckers.

189. Oilanderp says:

So, do I want Barkov or Nurse?

190. BlacqueJacque says:

Southern Oil: Honestly I would like to see a nice ol chant at the Coliseum – “fire Kevin Lowe, fire Kevin Lowe”…Something similar to what happened in TO with Ron Wilson

That’s exactly what I am going for. That and waffles. NHL needs more waffles.

191. BONVIE says:

Where is Linus Omark?

192. BONVIE says:

LOL Krueger is blaming too much time on speciallty teams yet that is the only area they have done well all year. They should be inviting the specialty team game.

193. Gret99zky says:

with this team the future is always bright. and the present always sucks.

194. BONVIE says:

Oilanderp:
    So, do I want Barkov or Nurse?

Whoa we are gonna make top 5 yet this year. We could be talking Jones by the end of the year.

195. BlacqueJacque says:

BONVIE:

… yeah. It took MacT about two seasons to depart reality. Krueger has been heading that way since game 20.

196. BlacqueJacque says:

BlacqueJacque,

errrr… I mean Renney.

197. RickDeckard says:

Oilanderp,

Barkov along with MacKinnon are the best players in the draft IMO. Drouin is too Eberly and Jones’s offense is massively overrated.

198. fuzzy muppet says:

Nothing’s going to change until people stop filling that building. Sop buying tickets. Stop buying merchandise. That’s it. They will keep shoveling you shit and everyone keeps eating it because there’s some shiny stuff to look at.

There are a grand total of TWO players that give a shit about winning or losing on this team. Hall and Yak. there’s 10 to 12 guys on this care about their paycheck and that’s it. There is NO HEART.

This is embarrassing.

It’s hard to blame Schultz. He’s exhausted. Played more than twice as many games than he’s ever played before.

People ragging on Howson, that’s HIS roster that’s making a playoff push after ONE year of dead last. And at least he TRIED to improve his team by taking chances.

Wake me up when the draft hits or they finally fire the idiots in charge. This is the single worst management team in the history of hockey. It’s unrivaled.

Someone said it the other day. These are the LA Clippers on ice. 30 years of losing wouldn’t surprise me

I’m so angry I can’t stay on one topic.

199. RickDeckard says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Nothing’s going to change until people stop filling that building. Sop buying tickets. Stop buying merchandise.That’s it.They will keep shoveling you shit and everyone keeps eating it because there’s some shiny stuff to look at.

People ragging on Howson, that’s HIS roster that’s making a playoff push after ONE year of dead last.And at least he TRIED to improve his team by taking chances.

Fortunately for me I only use pirated streams and chinese knock off merch. When I want to see a game live I go to Calgary.

Don’t let their results fool you, Columbus is being carried by Bobrovsky.

Newer Comments »