Press conference at 10:30, Tambellini out, MacT in, Howson in consigliere role. more later.

255 Responses to "“Jerry, it’s Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner’s here … George is dead… Call me back.”"

Newer Comments »
  1. Bar_Qu says:

From previous thread:

I’m curiously detached about the firing, despite joining the call for it the last three years. Dunno, maybe as a fan I’m numb or maybe I don’t know that it will make a huge difference with Lowe still in place.
    I guess I just need to wait and see what the summer brings before I get hopeful things will improve – the proof in the pudding and all that.
    Jobs for MacTasGM (MTGM):
    1. Lose Petrell, Jones, Whitney, Eager, Hordichuk, Smithson(maybe)
    2. Don’t resign NK/find back-up goalie (hello Ray Emery)
    3. Land Grabbo from TO (preferrably in exchange for one of the guys on my first line)
    4. Steal a top 4 D
    5. Trade Gagner for something equivalent, but better in own zone
    If 3 or 4 of those things happen, then I will be optimistic about this change.

2. Racki says:

With MacTavish, the one thing you can guarantee is the re-acquisition of Toby Petersen.

3. fuzzy muppet says:

Does anyone even care at this point?

4. Traktor says:

inb4 MacT names Huddy the new head coach.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

two sidebar revelations:

1) media collusion in EDM is strong and thinly veiled

2) whatever theories exist regarding who is running the ship, we will know shortly one presumes as we can test the differences this off season with the past 4 years.

6. bookje says:

The Blog is Crashing, The Blog is Crashing!!!!

7. LMHF#1 says:

If he’s not interim, (please please please be interim) my only hope is that MacTavish at some point learned something from Sather about being aggressive and inventive.

Guys like Bryan Bickell, Colby Armstrong, Dustin Penner (yeah, I know), Latendresse, and Scott Gomez (or their rough equivalents) are out there, cheap and would make for a vastly improved bottom 6. Still a fan of trading for Brian Boyle and maybe the old Oilers/Rangers ‘red phone’ still exists.

There are also a bunch of useful players in the Russian league. Sather would have called up Larionov and had him on some kind of consultancy deal by now if he ran a team in our situation.

We wait. We hope.

8. Traktor says:

“Once an Oiler, Always an Oiler.”

LOL

9. ScottieA says:

Shuffling of the deck chairs, that is all. The cancer is still in the Prez Hockey Ops role.

10. DBO says:

Well there you go LT. Wet dream has arrived. Good thing Lowe and MacT are biddies with Katz cause there is no reason to suggest it will get better. I hope I am wrong, but I assume MAcT as GM, Howson in the MAcT role and hopefully Lowe says something about “the buck stops here, and by here I mean at MacT cause I am safe”.

Prove you have a brain MacT, prove you can make the tough moves. Maybe with MacT in as GM, he will have more security since Katz is also his buddy, so maybe/hopefully he is not afraid to make the tough moves.

11. bookje says:

re-post from last post…

Of course Jones got a ‘tip’. That is pretty standard in politics, hockey, etc. Now Jones will write an article about how Tambellini was REALLY in charge and Lowe and MacT will be different. Next time, Jones gets a tip again. His bosses say ‘well done’ because they broke the story.

That is not unexpected at all. Nor is it unusual.

The problem is that frequently Jones (Staffer, etc.) don’t get a tip and still guess at things (i.e Hemsky being traded). So, we can assume that some of the things these guys say is insider information, but other stuff is just guessing. We should not assume that everything they say is accurate. That is the mistake that some commentors and bloggers make.

12. Hayek says:

What a great day. Finally a chance at this rebuild coming to fruition.

Just hoping Brown, Petrell, Smithson, Whitney, Jones, Fistric can all be done with the team too.

13. Racki says:

I just hope that MacTavish isn’t given the same 3-year evaluation period before making any decisions like Tambo was… “hang on, I’m new here.. I don’t want to make any rash, albeit obvious, decisions..”

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    re-post from last post…

That is not unexpected at all. Nor is it unusual.

The problem is that frequently Jones (Staffer, etc.) don’t get a tip and still guess at things (i.e Hemsky being traded). So, we can assume that some of the things these guys say is insider information, but other stuff is just guessing. We should not assume that everything they say is accurate.That is the mistake that some commentors and bloggers make.

A couple of distinctions:

1) there is a difference between a column suggesting x may happen and arguing x should happen. When you get a tip that x will happen and the day before suddenly write that x should happen… that is pretty damn weak.

2) Jones, Stauffer etc. may very well be speaking from sources within the org. when they suggest x may happen (ie. a trade). the fact that a trade doesn’t happen doesn’t mean the org. didn’t feed them the info (they could have tried to make a trade work and it failed, or they could have spread the rumor for any number of reasons).

15. bookje says:

16. HeavySig says:

Maybe the announcement is actually about Bucky getting Ralph’s job?

bwahahaha….

Actually, shouldn’t they be hiring the next head coach and sticking him in the assistant coach position if they are going to stay true to form?

Can’t believe that Steve or Bucky is even close to consideration for that.

17. denny33 says:

Laughter from around the league…rolling in.

One of the big architects from the Columbus Blue Jackets in a key role….

So many here joked about it – Howson and Mac T…..I am shocked.

Jackets, Oilers, Islanders…..

18. jdrevenge1 says:

Mac is the right choice.

19. commonfan14 says:

Traktor: “Once an Oiler, Always an Oiler.”
    LOL

It’s fun to shit on this mantra until you remember that it played a huge part in us landing Justin Schultz. Sometimes it’s nice to have a couple of Hall of Famers on speed-dial.

20. DBO says:

For comedies sake i hope MacT talks about taking some time to evaluate the roster and his 5 year plan for winning the cup.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Now let’s see Gare and Semenko get the boot.

baby steps.

22. sliderule says:

This could be good it couldn’t be worse.

MacT won’t be afraid to make a move and he doesn’t have to worry about his six as he is in Katz good books.

They have to make a smart move to get better and rebalance roster.There are going to be teams that will unload decent players for picks .

If they have to give up next years first pick so be it.

23. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think that Jones is a pretty weak journalist and doesn’t mind taking advantage of things to make himself look better.

Also, we should consider the fact that pretty much everyone was thinking what Jones was thinking after the Calgary game. LT wrote an article on Tambellini’s tenure (maybe that was due to the Jones piece?). Anyway, its not a stretch that it’s coincidence. Perhaps the ‘tell’ is that the article makes no mention of Lowe’s job being at risk.

24. FrankenOil says:

I’d like to think a major tell was Stauffer ripping the roster after the CGY game. I thought that was a major sign something was happening.

25. LMHF#1 says:

Stauffer’s commentary apologizing for Howson’s time in Columbus and “MacTavish ain’t no dummy” language, and trying to claim there’s no old boys club is making me want to puke.

Who gives a damn about “wanting the team to win”. Wanting will get you precisely nothing.

26. leadfarmer says:

Katz is a rich Canucks fan trolling the Oilers.

27. LP says:

wow, I wan’t expecting this, not now anyways.

MacT as GM? I actually like this move. (and I doubt I’m alone)

Howson back? well, he’s not going to be GM and supposedly has a good eye for talent.

This is going to be interesting…. Here’s hoping things get better. (at last!!!)

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

the callers to 1260 seem obsessed with the idea that the coach is the problem. something about not being angry enough.

is this a typical hockey cognitive dissonance? blame always heads toward the coach, never the mgt?

29. mustang says:

30. LMHF#1 says:

They even have the line down already. “Management Team”. UGH.

31. LMHF#1 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Krueger doesn’t message himself well to a certain subset of the fans that would like a coach to go Jim Schoenfeld every now and again.

32. supernova says:

supernova says:
    April 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

The Oil GM job as it will sit at the end of season will be one of the best GM jobs available ( let’s hope it is available)

The question is what is actually available a front man who does PR and has a 25% say.

Or the full meal deal.

I think MacT will be the guy, as he is great with the media, Rick O is the negotiator and details guy, and Lowe will “oversee”. I think Tambellini will be shown the door as he is already the odd man out.

They also might promote Stu to MacT’s current role/ overseeing all of player personnel.

Howson might add more to his title but also probably wants to not be to tied unless he gets the full GM job, Howson’s value could go way up if Columbus continue’s to shoot up the standings. He might get a good look In Florida ( if Tallon is shown the door) or even New Jersey if Lou gives up the GM title and acts like a Pierre Lacroix.

Howson’s reputation went up a notch after the gaborik trade and with them still having 3 first rounders.

Whether I like it or not I think Lowe has one more hire in him for the GM role or till the new rink is in move in condition. Lowe will make that MacT.

(Quote) (Reply)

Going to toot my own horn here from yesterdays blog. (if Woodguy can so can I)

Very Predictable, Expect at least two big moves this summer

Maybe that 3 for 1 that Lowetide has been calling for!

MacT will do something to stamp the change, (the change that isn’t a change)

33. DBO says:

LMHF#1,

I think it’s more in the media. No one can really say if Krueger doesn’t rip them behind closed doors. Shultz said the biggest reason he came to the Oil was Krueger, and Yak and others have mentioned loving Ralph and wanting to win for him. We just don’t have the horses to actually do it and that is on management.

34. bookje says:

I think that when they announce ST will be the new Assistant Vice-Adviser to the Deputy GM of Hockey Operations that they actually might mean it.

Tambellini seems to be a good deputy, but not a good sheriff. It wouldn’t surprise me if he is with the organization for a long period of time.

Or he could soon be on Sportsnet?

35. Jordan says:

leadfarmer,

OMG. LOL. That’s gold, Mr. Farmer.

36. Jon K says:

This has been the other shoe waiting to drop after MacT and Howson were brought in.

Chances this was Lowe’s plan all along? Bring in a puppet to face the slings and arrows of the rebuild, then implant the man you really want to reap the harvest.

Not that I think this is the wrong move. Tambellini’s failure and/or unwillingness to improve the team now or for the future at the last two trade deadlines amount to more than just cause. The Gilbert/Schultz trade continues to get worse as time marches on, the team faces a crisis at centre with Cogliano gone for a second and Sam looking for a Mike Ribeiro-type raise (and possibly a Ribeiro-type career).

As an aside, I don’t see how people are so down on Howson. I think moving forward there should be increasing analysis on how Howson actually made the Blue Jackets better. The Nash and Bobrovsky trades have both gone well, by my eye.

In any case, welcome to the “New Oilers”. Seating is the same as last time, take your places.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

yesterday he was fired. yesterday. Jones… got the tip.

what a craven thing to do.

38. LMHF#1 says:

DBO:
    LMHF#1,

I’m not one that needs the coach to say “I’m effing pissed” every second game, but some do once in a while and Krueger is not interested.

39. danny says:

Well, as much as MacT doesnt follow advanced stats, does anyone here really think MacT isn’t best suited to rebuild a bottom 6? I’d be really surprised of MacT failed at that.

40. DBO says:

wow, Lowe trying to be funny. ouch. And him talking about how MacT took the lead role in landing Shultz. Lol. wow, just wow. Talk him up. Who are you trying to convince.

41. FrankenOil says:

lowe giving credit to mact for landing j schultz

42. mustang says:

FrankenOil:
    lowe giving credit to mact for landing j schultz

Ya what a joke, Saturday night Justin said Kruger is the one that got him to join the Oilers, I guess that must have been past Lowe’s bedtime.

43. spoiler says:

bookje: A LOT of the mistakes in the last two years are in the procurement of bottom roster talent (3rd and 4th line, 3-8th defensemen, back-up goalies). From Ben Eager through to Smithson, there have been no trades that are real ‘winners’ upon reflection. An average GM should be ‘losing’ and ‘winning’ 50% of those trades (i.e. Players turning out better or worse than what they were traded for). To make myself feel better, I am going to presume that those trades were Tambellini and that the management team (Lowe, MacT, etc) were only involved in the bigger decisions. Lowe and MacT were reasonably good at assessing talent in the past. MacT had issues with ‘entitled’ players (Nilsson and Penner for example) and Lowe was a Whale hunter for a few years, but let’s hope that they learned some lessons from that and are now brilliant. The alternative is to be D.S.F. and start hating on this team and cheering for the Canucks or whatever other team is doing well at the time.

From the last Oil Change it looked pretty evident that Olczyk and Tambo made the Smithson trade… they had to tell Lowe about it. Lowe also looked pretty unhappy when the Pominville, Gaborik and BIshop trades were all announced. And Tambellini looked surprised. I know I’m reading a lot into a couple of seconds of video, but that was my initial impression,

44. DBO says:

MacT saying all the right things. Need to be bold, take risks. Greater depth is a need. Primary pieces are great.

45. Racki says:

MacTavish is going on one hell of a rant, but he’s saying everything that I’ve been feeling for a while.. so .. slow fucking clap.

I was a big fan of MacTavish being canned as coach, because I thought he was “stale” here, but I always thought he was an incredibly smart man. I have high hopes that the team is in good hands with him.

46. DBO says:

MacT “need to do a better job arming our coaches with players who will compete. We will do bold and competitive things to win the cup.”

At least he sounds enthusiastic and can string together a few sentences without looking like he might cry. He keeps saying “depth, depth”. Maybe he listens?!???!????!? Oh happy day. wait, sadness. anger….. happy? I am so confused cause I want so desperately to believe this shit.

47. DBO says:

Please someone ask a real question

48. spoiler says:

The Toastmasters say Tambellini has a job with them whenever he wants it.

Kind of like Kirstie Allie and Jenny Craig.

49. DBO says:

50. remlap says:

DBO:

That was Rishaug?! Oh man. He’s my new favorite TSN guy.

51. fuzzy muppet says:

At least MacT is saying all the right things. Thats a positive.

It’s going to be an looooong 3 months until they can actually make moves.

52. bookje says:

DBO:

Yes, He didn’t answer it well. I would have said “We just fired our GM, its one of the most difficult things I have had to do, that is meaningful change”.

His response was basically “What, you don’t think we are competent – have you seen Taylor Hall lately – we are awesome”.

53. spoiler says:

Hey… Just think of all the money Lowe saved you guys on Quickstarter!

54. DBO says:

spoiler:
    Hey… Just think of all the money Lowe saved you guys on Quickstarter!

hehe

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

5 cups!!!

are you fucking kidding me!?

56. remlap says:

spoiler:
    Hey… Just think of all the money Lowe saved you guys on Quickstarter!

What’s a Quickstarter?

57. spoiler says:

The “Mess” question is just brilliant. MacT struggling to answer it.

58. DBO says:

And based on last question I think it was Spector that asked the “meaningful change” question. And now question is “how can the fans believe that the group that made the mess of this team can clean up the mess they themselves made”. Now MacT referencing the 5 cups in the 80′s making it hard to win again cause it’s cyclical. At least it seems like MacT accepts that he is under the gun. And he sounds annoyed by questions. BAsically rolling to “what I say means nothing. What I do is what matters”

59. spoiler says:

remlap,

Sorry Kickstarter. Trying to work, post and listen… Hopefully the only error is here, lol

60. DBO says:

Jones fighting with Lowe. Wow. MSM actually doing it’s job.

61. JAG-041 says:

jeez K. Lowe
    wow
    not doing yourself a favour with that one…

62. DBO says:

Lowe getting angry. Lol. Now a reference to how only 1 guy in hockey has won more cups.

63. bookje says:

God, these guys are NOT handling questions about their role in managing this team in the past. MacT just blamed the 90′s and 00′s on winning cups in the 80′s.

I am feeling uncomfortable watching them squirm with their responses – quick, someone throw them a softie – “Who do think is going to be better Hall or Seguin?”

64. remlap says:

spoiler:
    remlap,

I knew what you meant, I’m just giving you a hard time. :-)

On another note. Does Lowe not come off as an arrogant prick in this presser? He’s essentially saying “All you guys on the internet are stupid, because you don’t buy tickets to hockey games. We’re smarter than you.”

65. Nostradumbass says:

MacT and Lowe seem quite unprepared for the actual tough questions that are raining down

Wow..Lowe sounds like an ass

Winning 6 cups as a 3rd Defenceman on a once in a lifetime roster means nothing Kevin

66. Jon K says:

Lowe falling back on the rings when questioned about how the rebuild is dragging on. It’s getting ugly.

67. bookje says:

The Oilers have called a 30 second time out.

68. spoiler says:

Lowe getting pretty defensive, although I would be totally okay with it if he was to punch Spector on television.

69. DBO says:

Stupid Tencer interrupted the question, but I think Rishaug asked what kind of power Tambellini actually had. Lowe saying he had full control. Although he does say he asked Tambellini to do some things he didn’t want to do, but he is only the conduit to the owner.

70. JAG-041 says:

I think ask them who they’re going to draft

watch Lowe explode

71. jeffj says:

There is ONE THING Tambellini did consistently right in his tenure: win draft lotteries. So what does Lowe do?? Punt Tambo before the lottery, of course.

FML.

72. DBO says:

Gregor asking about “pro scouting”. MacT basically saying we sucked so bad that the only guys who were willing to come here. Game has changed, now you need to be able to pass the puck and have more stick skill. Does he really see it? does he?

73. Nostradumbass says:

Everything you need to know about what is wrong with Lowe was exampled in the one tough question he’s received in 10 years

Ego, grasping to past glory, temper, not prepared …all the weakness in one answer

This organization is doomed with Kevin Lowe at the top

Nothing changes today

74. DBO says:

Mact “grit without skill will not move this team forward”. So want to believe………

75. bookje says:

Question for Craig and Kevin – “You guys are pathetic losers. How are fans supposed to be comfortable with you pathetic losers running the team? Please answer without any reference to Stanley Cups won more than 20 years ago. Also, where do I renew my press pass for next year?

76. Ribs says:

Tamby is a good man….

77. JAG-041 says:

drops the Milan Lucic bomb…

oh no, more coke machines…

78. bookje says:

DBO:

Signing Smyth? Talking to LaRoque? Signing Hemsky?

79. DBO says:

Now MacT talking about needing to understand statistics in this NHL. Seriously, half wood right now. Just having hard time believing.

80. Captain Happy says:

Nostradumbass:

This organization is doomed with Kevin Lowe at the top

Nothing changes today

This.

All day long.

81. Jon K says:

STATISTICS REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE! I witnessed it with my own eyes and ears!@

82. Scotty LaDouche says:

“I watched Wayne and Mark win 5 Stanley Cups, no one knows more about winning than me”

“Im like a Chairman, I have all the power, but none”

Good to see the arrogance is still alive and well with Lowe, and Nepotism has taken another giant leap forward in the organization. Lowe is clueless.

83. bookje says:

Craig MacTavish just said some ‘new’ statistics are important for a GM to understand.

(Hoping, Hoping, Hoping…)

84. DBO says:

MacT ” I won;t shy away from difficult decisions regarding players on the Oilers”. Don’t tease me you mofo

85. fuzzy muppet says:

It sure sounds like MacT is inferring that Tambo was incapable of taking risks. Maybe it WAS his fault??

86. Ribs says:

“I’m an impatient guy. We have to do some bold things to move this team forward in a rapid fashion,” said MacTavish. “We have to a better job arming our coaches and our core players with a group to get us to a highly-competitive level.” – MacT

Love it.

87. bookje says:

Can someone ask about Krueger’s job?

Ok, Thanks.

88. DBO says:

Spector asking if the under 24 kids and the 1st rd pick could be moved. Answer “very relunctantly”. Krueger – remote chance that where we are is due to coaching. The coach needs better tools at the NHL level.

89. rich says:

The dreaded “vote of confidence” for the head coach.

90. spoiler says:

POISE!!!

91. remlap says:

Man, Rishaug is GRILLING Lowe during this thing.

92. bookje says:

Poise – Thank God!

93. Nostradumbass says:

“Time will tell if we made the right decision…”

Yeah becasue the 11 year Lowe era has really left questions about his effectiveness

94. VanOil says:

Re: Jones and the tip

From my own personal experience, with stories I have had the fortune or misfortune to be around, reporters get the story about 20% right. If you can find 5 different reports not copied of each other you might get up to 60% of the story. This is not to knock journalist, well not that much, but they do not have access to all the information.

Sports and War Correspondents are a different cases. In both these cases you ended up with in-bedded reporters given priority or exclusive access in exchange for editorial direction. Think Bob Stauffer. You also get crusty experienced old vets who are known to be able to shape opinion. Think Jones. Most of all you have management or Generals who think the press is just another weapon to be utilized and controlled. This means the picture is distorted intentionally and hard to decipher.

If Jones was tipped before Tambellini was told it was a shitty thing to do. It would be to a player or any employee. If Jones provided the cover, intentionally or other wise, for them to make a decision they were already going to make it is more understandable. Unless it was a General manipulating for his own purposes, in which case this team/organization is sicker than even the standings for the last 7 years suggest.

95. justDOit says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Does anyone even care at this point?

Care about what now…?

spoiler:
    The Toastmasters say Tambellini has a job with them whenever he wants it.

Kind of like Kirstie Allie and Jenny Craig.

Or ‘My Fair Lady’.

96. denny33 says:

Agree with someone else who said – Mac T might want to put his stamp on the team pretty early this summer. I look for at least one big move.

I predict a busy /big summer for the Oilers….

97. Scotty LaDouche says:

Im friends with a billionaire, so F you guys.

-Lowe to non ticket buying fans

98. Ribs says:

“Steve is a very good man who worked hard for the Oilers. I want to thank him for all his contributions,” added Lowe.

Haha, Damn. Every time.

99. bookje says:

The Oilers may not keep Tambellini in an advisory role, there are rumours that Calgary’s ownership is in contact with him regarding bringing him on board as a GM for 3-4 years. They noted that he brings a skillset that the team needs right now.

100. fuzzy muppet says:

i’m really gonna miss the @fakeoilersGM twitter handle…

101. striatic says:

Rishaug made that presser. Kudos.

it was interesting that Lowe’s fallback positions are “6 rings” and “Paying Customers”.

the entire event left a bad taste and a smarmy, self-congratulatory feel until Rishaug burst the bubble.

102. icecastles says:

Forget you grumps, I’m happy.

- thy made the change during the season rather than in summer when it’s almost too late for many decisions for the coming season.

- MacT is s damn smart fellow. Whatever you thought of him as a coach, this is a different role and I think he has the judgement to make good calls. Nobody’s going to bat 1000 but I think he will do well.

- If you show a lack of confidence and decisiveness, your boss is going to be very hesitant to trust you. Seriously, from what we saw, would any of you have left Tambo unsupervised? Nothing would ever happen. Lowe will likely have a lot more faith in MacT. And MacT will likely demand that faith if it is not forthcoming.

- the team had bold balls-out leadership when they should have been cautious, and cautious leadership when they should have had boldness. The managers finally match the task.

- MacTavish recently go his MBA and despite bookje’s viscious and hurtful slander (boooo) Queens has one of the best MBA programs in the country. Knowing hockey is obviously important. But li HAVE to have a business mind for this gig. I believe the new GM has this.

- he looks WAY better in a suit.

- Lowe is still a defensive, pompous ass. And he still thinks the Stanley Cups he won as a player have some bearing on his ability to run a business. I sincerely hope that if he really is holding the reins (and I still maintain that we don’t have what I’d consider to be good evidence that this is the case), he has been advised by Katz to step back a bit.

- taking on a degree of risk to improve… This is what I’ve been waitin ages to hear mgmt say. And they acknowledged it today. No more hiding behind “risking the core” as an excuse to avoid addressing need with the few players who can actually bring in more than a 3rd round pick or a marginal 4th liner.

103. bookje says:

No Comments from LT on this, here or on Twitter.

I bet it’s days like this that he really hates his day job.

(Disclaimer- LT loves his day job and greatly appreciates the leeway that his employers give him to indulge in hockey related stuff)

104. striatic says:

‏@DownGoesBrown:

“I think whenever Kevin Lowe says “fair question”, it’s his code word to have the reporter immediately taken out and killed.”

105. denny33 says:

Media on Lowe still being employed..

The Sun’s Robert Tychkowski earlier tweeted: Firing Tambellini is fair. Ignoring Kevin Lowe’s culpability in this mess is laughable.

****************************************************

And make no mistake – the league is laughing.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

that press conference went south pretty quick.

no accountability for their hand in the failures and incredibly peevish responses to legitimate questions.

Stauffer is making a very strange defense of Lowe: they were trying to be good before Tambo came in and failed, so it’s Tambo’s fault.

what?

107. Clarkenstein says:

Mr. Kevin Lowe… it’s because of you that after 21 years I cancelled my season tickets. I thought you had become an arrogance, pompous prick that didn’t have a clue about building a hockey team. Thank you for confirming that for me today at your press conference.

108. bookje says:

icecastles,

Re- the Queen’s MBA.

Let me be clear here, when speaking about Queen’s MBA program, I am talking without any knowledge or awareness of the program and most of what I say should be ignored (seriously – I am just BSing without background).

With that said, most individuals with an undergrad degree in Stats, Econ, or otherwise would find ANY MBA program to be pretty basic in those areas. The key of an MBA in general though, is not to learn statistics or econ, but rather to learn how to make use of the people you employ. MacT does not need to understand advanced stats well to be able to make use of people who DO understand advanced Stats well.

109. bookje says:

I hear Lowe has booked a barn and is having certain members of the press brought out to the barn in unmarked vans with hoods over their heads.

110. striatic says:

That press conference did not inspire confidence.

Wonder what the players are thinking.

111. delooper says:

I only saw a bit of the press conference but they sure looked defensive, and leapt back to the 80′s an awful lot, considering it’s 30 years later now…

112. Koho says:

bookje:

hahaha

113. supernova says:

bookje,

agree completely.

MBA offers a lot of things but main benefit’s is not becoming a statistician.

Empower your employees and Network would be two of the biggest. He doesn’t need the network (as hockey is a closed circle) but his colleagues will respect him for having the MBA,

How many former players that become coaches get this? he will have their respect.

114. Rondo says:

MBA , why are we talking MBA is that the secret to winning Stanley Cups? Who cares having an MBA does not mean much, maybe you are good a memorizing . Having a law degree does not make you a good Lawyer.

This move is typical of the Oiler organization, playing prevent defense.

How many years does Mac get before he is fired?

115. oilersfan says:

As Oilers fans we should feel like Dorothy when her house landed in Oz. Great news, the first witch is dead. Too bad we can’t really celebrate until her evil sister is gone too.

116. bookje says:

Interview with Tambellini

He notes that he “is happy to announce that he now has Daryl Katz approval to do what needs to be done to build a competitive team and that he looks forward to assessing the team that they have assembled to see what needs to be done .”

He indicates that he is still “assessing being fired and isn’t sure if he wants to go forward with it at this time and is considering other options at this time”.

On Craig MacTavish being named GM – “Craig is a good guy that we have had our eye on for a long time. Stu had him on his draft radar in 1980 and we wanted him then. Stevie Yzerman had loads of good things to say about him, though Stevie sounded confused as to why I was calling. He brings a real competativeness to the organization. I think that he is really going to help us in the face off circle and can provide some leadership on the penalty kill while Horcoff is injured”

Kevin Lowe indicated that they will not be informing Steve Tambellini that he is fired. Lowe said “With only one year left on his contract, we figured we could just ride it out by letting him come into the office and telling him that everything looks good. If we don’t press him into doing something, he just sits there and stares out the window. We are thinking of getting him a cat.”

117. goldenchild says:

bookje,

As a recent MBA grad, I would say that while there is some focus on technical skills the major focus is on Case analysis and problem solving. The number one job for new MBA grads is strategy consulting and in that way MacT’s role is very similar to what many MBA’s would be doing which is to do a thorough examination of what went wrong in the past and develop a strategy to get a failing company out of their current mess. MacT would of worked on business case after business case from all types of industries and all with differing issues and problems and then used the tools and framework learned in the classes to identify the problems and find options that could solve and narrow down to the best choices. Sounds like he is doing exactly that.

For all the 5 Stanley cup nonsense, I heard enough good things from Mac to make me feel a lot better about this team today then I did last night. The point about grit without skill, the numerous mentions about the complementary pieces not being good enough, the discussion of pro player acquisition failures all make me confident we are in better hands.

118. Bar_Qu says:

Please someone tell me this presser is archived to watch later. I want to take my time watching it to enjoy it properly, which is impossible during work hours.

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    Interview with Tambellini

On Craig MacTavish being named GM – “Craig is a good guy that we have had our eye on for a long time.Stu had him on his draft radar in 1980 and we wanted him then.Stevie Yzerman had loads of good things to say about him, though Stevie sounded confused as to why I was calling.He brings a real competativeness to the organization. I think that he is really going to help us in the face off circle and can provide some leadership on the penalty kill while Horcoff is injured”

It’s like that Seinfeld where George is dating a lady that won’t accept his breakup.

120. Jordan says:

bookje,

I hear that he’s tag-teaming those members with Brian Burke.

Also heard that Strudwick will be showing up to fight the winners.

121. cabbiesmacker says:

commonfan14: It’s fun to shit on this mantra until you remember that it played a huge part in us landing Justin Schultz.Sometimes it’s nice to have a couple of Hall of Famers on speed-dial.

Serious doubts. Everything I’ve read, heard, and seen speaks to Jr having his mind made up a fairly long time in advance. The HOF’s were just a part of the toweling off process..

Whatever being a HOF has to do with properly running a hockey team of course.

122. LMHF#1 says:

Some MBA grads are quite sharp…while two of the absolute dumbest people I know also have them. It is like any other piece of education – entirely about what you absorbed and what you do with it.

I’m really annoyed that, regardless of whether you like MacTavish or not, it appears that some much more qualified people are available and that they had no interest in hiring them. Not just that, but that this group doesn’t appear to have thought for one second about hiring them.

I’m going back to my “hope he learned from Sather” corner to wait. This should have been a much more satisfying day.

Also – Lowe never should have moved beyond coach. At least he was pretty decent at that.

123. delooper says:

BAR_QU: if they edit-out the awkward moments it might be a short archived video.

124. LMHF#1 says:

“We’re poised for greatness and our fans understand that,” said Lowe.

Seriously.,.what the hell?!?!

I didn’t know languishing at the bottom of the league is how you attain the “poised for greatness” tag.

125. delooper says:

LMHF#1:

It is a little worrying that the Oilers managment has more the shape of a religious cult than a professional organization. Are there many other work places where you’re entirely surrounded by the people you more or less grew up with all the time?

126. rickithebear says:

Columbus team:

Calvert (#127,08) – Anisimov (Nash) – Atkinson (#157, 08)
    Prospal (UFA 11) – Dubinsky (Nash) – Gaborik (????)
    Umberger (UFA 08) – Johansen (#4, 2010) – Foligno (Methot)
    Mackenzie (UFA 07) – Letestu (2nd RD pick) – Comeau (Waivers)
    Gillies (waiver) – Boll (#101, 05)
    rangers were cap pressed with Nash acquisition. The gaborik trade had to have been pre arranged for deadline or draft.
    tyutin ( zheredev, Fritsche) – Johnson (carter)
    Nikitin (Russel) – Prout (#154)
    Wizniewski (UFA 11) – Aucoin (UFA 12)
    Erixson (Nash)

Bobrovsky ( 2 -2nd RD Picks)
    Leighton (Mason +)
    Boll Maclean Draftee and leighton ftradedeadline are the only guarnteed non howson moves.

3 1st in 2013

Howson turned over an entire team in 5 years at Columbus. They are close to playoffs With largely pro acquisitions.

127. VanOil says:

Bar_Qu:

Oilers website has it Raw in chunks on its home page.

128. VanOil says:

The Nordic Line is back in town. Lander and Hartikainen both recalled. I hope they play instead of the plumbers.

129. Racki says:

RJ MacKinnon just got fired…

I kid.

He was the one that threw an uppercut at Lowe when he asked the group why fans should be assured that things would be different when the guys responsible for the mess Tambellini had to try and clean up are still here. I sincerely applaud him for asking that difficult question. You don’t get to ask too many other questions though when you ask stuff like that.

MacT coming on Bob’s show right now.

131. RexLibris says:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but, um, when the draft lottery comes around, do we get to keep Tambellini’s lucky tie?

132. Scotty LaDouche says:

“6 rings!”

“Most fans don’t count!”

“Its not me!”

Kuddos to McKinnon for going there, and Spec who started there.

134. striatic says:

Scotty LaDouche: But Lowes fallback position when threatened with serious, credibility challenging questions about his ability to oversee a hockey team, is to get huffy and remind everyone he won some Cups as a player 20some years ago.

it was also interesting to hear him say something about “never should have left the job” regarding his time as GM.

135. bookje says:

Scotty LaDouche,

Yes, he needs to flush that from his system. Someone needs to tell him how stupid that sounds. There are many defenses he could use that would be effective, but the ‘six cups’ thing sounds pathetic.

136. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:
    MacT coming on Bob’s show right now.

137. bookje says:

LMHF#1,

He doesn’t need talking points – He just looks at the ‘Payee’ line on his paystub and he knows what to do.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Should we be taking bets on who is the first player, coach or manager to throw the “five cups” and “six rings” lines back at MacT and Lowe?

I’d bet on Burke, but I’ll take offers.

139. Bad Seed says:

LMHF#1: You think Stauffer gets the talking points before interviews like this? He just laid out the complete whitewash of any and all responsibility for the current situation from the Lowe, Howson, MacTavish group and basically proclaimed a new day. What utter fluff.

What do you expect? When he had his radio show, he never dumped on Lowe. I think he was always angling for the Oiler job & knew the guy he couldn’t piss off. Plain & simply, he’s an Oiler’s shill and can’t be taken seriously. I hope MacT has a long memory because Bum Stuffer used to dump on him constantly when he was coach.

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Reviewing the PC in my mind I’m glad Gergor asked about pro scouting… but the answer was a complete dodge, which suggests the bleeding started and stopped with ST. too bad.

141. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d bet on Burke, but I’ll take offers.

i’d say Feaster, if he wasn’t so shell-shocked.

142. LMHF#1 says:

bookje:
    LMHF#1,

I agree, but I don’t think he’s coming up with this stuff on his own. I’m betting it is discussed.

143. Scotty LaDouche says:

I was watching a miniseries on the National Geographic channel last night about the decade of the 80s. All I could think about was how the last time the Oilers were a quality organization, nobody knew what an internet was.

144. DBO says:

145. spoiler says:

Woodguy: My favorite part of the PC where Lowe removed all doubt as to his competence as a Manager.
    “6 rings!”
    “Most fans don’t count!”
    “Its not me!”
    Kuddos to McKinnon for going there, and Spec who started there.

Lowe’s face went all red… I thought for a moment that Vish Throttler was going to step into the scrum and strangle Spector.

It was almost like Dennis King emailed the question into the press conference…

146. striatic says:

delooper: It is a little worrying that the Oilers managment has more the shape of a religious cult than a professional organization.

it sure feels like that sometimes.

147. mustang says:

Jon K:

I think your giving Lowe to much credit, I think this all just happened this way. Ya he brought MacT back to get familiar with the team and take Tambi’s position.

I think they brought N.Schultz in for leadership, Gilbert isn’t a leader, by the way Gilbert got a healthy scratch the other day. Cogs isn’t going to improve this team, he’s more of the same not everyone can be a small skilled player so to speak, the return for said player can be debated.A good mix of actual “NHL PLAYERS” as LT would say is needed.

148. bookje says:

MacT on Stauffer

On Krueger – Stauffer suggested that maybe they need to bring in a senior, experienced coach to ‘assist’ Krueger. MacT said maybe – he will need to talk with Krueger after the season.

So, does this mean that Krueger will have his replacement ‘in place’ looking over his shoulder soon?

Also, MacT indicated that Bucky and Steve Smith are ‘untouchable’ and are here to stay.

149. spoiler says:

DBO: So has anyone figured out the one guy who is still in hockey who has won more cups then Lowe? Super arrogant question and comment by Lowe, but fun trivia

Assuming Scotty Bowman is not Special Advisor to anyone any more, I’d think the answer would have to be Sather.

150. Rondo says:

Lowe will retract what he said and say what I really meant was ……

I find it funny when public figures shy away from what they said the first time. Rule of thumb what they say the first time is the truth.

151. DBO says:

spoiler,

152. Scotty LaDouche says:

DBO,

Bowman is still a Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations with Chicago (I think), and has 12 Cups in coaching and team management and 0 as a player. He also won a Memorial Cup as a coach.

Lowe has 0 Cups in coaching and team management, but 6 Cups as a sidekick to 2 of the best players ever.

153. LMHF#1 says:

bookje:

Exhibit A as to why I have no confidence in his judgement. Kelly Buchberger “highly thought of”…really? REALLY???

154. DBO says:

Scotty LaDouche,

True. i found one more for sure who has a combo of player, and coaching/management.

155. refmaksy says:

mustang: LT, I don’t like what has transpired here, only half the problem is gone. I have zero faith in Lowe in any capacity. This is just a total disrespect towards Oiler fans. We needed a culture change not a regurgitation of the same old crap “old boys club”. Katz is more interested in being a member of the “Boys on the Bus” than running this team like a winning business.

BEST POST OF THE DAY!

156. Nostradumbass says:

Any doubts that Lowe initially balked at giving Taylor Hall his #4 were officially removed today

Hes holding onto his player accomplishments like a life raft

157. refmaksy says:

DBO: Oooh Rishaug. you are so out. “How is this meaningful change”, Solid question, Lowe looks pissed. hehe (Willis says it was Spector who asked. Only listening so can’t tell for sure)

I thought this was Mark Spector’s question? Awesome question, and Lowe evades the question like a jackass, telling me my vote doesn’t count because I don’t have season’s tickets.

158. Nostradumbass says:

Stauffer ‘Howson you have a history of building a team that competes”

yeah for last, with the Oilers…

It’s all about compete level now apparently

159. refmaksy says:

striatic: That press conference did not inspire confidence.Wonder what the players are thinking.

The press conference was a panic attack, very poorly handled, the team looks like idiots in front of the whole sports world.

160. LMHF#1 says:

It’s the return of “COMPETE LEVEL”.

I’m going to be ill again.

161. bookje says:

refmaksy: BEST POST OF THE DAY!

Keep reading, I have a really good one with fake quotes from Tambellini and Lowe….

162. Nostradumbass says:

Stauffer going on and on about the Bobrovsky deal….to the guy who placed his chips on Steve Mason

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stauffer to Howson: “you look like a genius” based on his time with CBJ.

164. refmaksy says:

Scotty LaDouche: Gretzky had way more to do with winning 4 more of those Cups than Lowe, and is on a whole other level as a player. Yet this did not translate over to running a hockey team.But Lowes fallback position when threatened with serious, credibility challenging questions about his ability to oversee a hockey team, is to get huffy and remind everyone he won some Cups as a player 20some years ago.

Kevin Lowe is a dumbass, and Katz even dumber for not cleaning the upper house

165. Nostradumbass says:

Stauffer completely scrubbing the Howson/CBJ disaster

166. Nostradumbass says:

Howson “fans have been spoiled here in Edmonton”

Spoiled as in our stomachs spoiled from eating rotten tripe for 15 years, spoiled

167. Scotty LaDouche says:

Sportsnet replaying presser, not sure if its gonna be the whole thing tho

168. refmaksy says:

striatic: i’m not sure that a transition and press conference like that does a lot to make players want to come play for the oilers.

Great comment, the organization looks weak, some of the comments made today simply weren’t even fair to the players on the team. You watch, Oilers are going to lose next 7 games in a row. Maksy.

169. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje:

Tambellini seems to be a good deputy, but not a good sheriff.It wouldn’t surprise me if he is with the organization for a long period of time.

Or he could soon be on Sportsnet?

“I’m so proud to announce tonight’s game scores”

The Wirtz/Pulford-Twins model.

Probably an improvement on the Wirtz/Pulford-plus-puppet model.

171. Hammers says:

I am Happy oh so Happy . Remember 1 thing Lowe hired Tambellini and for that he has a cross to bare . If McT does as a GM what he did as a coach with not many players untill 06 we will be OK . Don’t expect 240lb wingers but I do expect players who play the game and McT knows them .

172. FPB94 says:

So inneficient member of the old boys’ club is replaced by one who failed in CBJ and the other who was fired previously by the team.

hahahahaha.

173. pboy says:

Holy fuck. Look kids, it’s Big Ben!!!!!

I actually liked what MacT had to say and with the way that he handled himself during the presser. MacT came off like the smartest guy in the room. Except for where he blamed the 2 decades of either losing or barely holding their heads above water on how many Cups they won during the ’80s. Welcome back Craigers!

Lowe’s arrogance is unbelievable.

I believe the answer to DBO’s questions would be Larry Robinson and Scotty Bowman.

174. Nostradumbass says:

Bottom line from Bob “KLowe and Howson are outstanding talent evaluators” ..”fans are the reason KLowe threw money at every piece of crap on the market”

175. cabbiesmacker says:

remlap: I knew what you meant, I’m just giving you a hard time.

You just figured out the Oilers mantra? 5 cups in 7 years makes you a Teflon Tesla doesn’t it?

This teams arrogance blows me away. Always has. Wake the fuck up and recognize you suck and have for many years. Idiots.

176. Nostradumbass says:

thank god for this caller Gord who brings the right level of disgust to the CHED show regarding Lowe’s presser.

Stauffer cuts him off and goes to break

177. bookje says:

Kevin Lowe needs some lessons in PR. Seriously, a politician would have just smiled at the questions and than gone on to talk about how great the future of the team is. When people ask you impossible questions just don’t answer them, answer the question you wished they asked.

178. pboy says:

Someone should tell K-Lowe about Michael Jordan’s adventures running the Washington Wizards and the Charlotte Bobcats. Jordan was kind of a big winner during his playing career too. Post playing career, not so much.

MacT said a lot of good things. If the Wirtz/Pulford model is going to work, the GM has to be able to push back on the Pulford figure, and have access to the owner.

I think MacT has that.

I liked what MacT said about risk. Tambellini wasn’t bold and was risk averse. Tambellini was a process guy.

I think MacT also understand that the GM also has to be a leader. And Tambellini’s poor communications skills detracted from his ability to lead the organization.

It is better that they made the change now. It is important that MacT does the exit interviews this year rather than Tambellni.

The old boys club wasn’t going anywhere. We knew Lowe wasn’t going. So next to Lowe taking the job himself, with this model, MacT is the next best thing.

180. FPB94 says:

pboy,

Somebody in KLowe’s entourage should Charles Barkley him in the media. (Tell him in all honesty that he’s been blowing managing teams on national television)

181. spoiler says:

DBO: spoiler, I think Lowe was wrong. i found 2 for sure if you count Bowman. Sather? He would have the same amount wouldn’t he? Lowe was in NY when they won correct?

Gainey has 6 cups I think, and is still a “consultant”.

Larry Robinson has 9, but is a coach, not management.

182. striatic says:

bookje: Kevin Lowe needs some lessons in PR.

MacTavish also.

he says it doesn’t matter what he says at the presser, since actions count more ..

.. but good luck executing on those actions when your presser communicates a clownish nature to every pending UFA in the league.

action speaks loudest but communication enables action.

183. Kitchener says:

Hilarious Presser.

Moving on:
    – The first offseason bomb has detonated. More to come, I’d guess.
    – 83 & 10 not listed as core players.
    – 89 included in list.
    – Change of captaincy coming? Definitely would fit as another “change in leadership.”

184. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje:

(Hoping, Hoping, Hoping…)

As in

“Is there any truth to darker jerseys making you look bigger and more intimidating?”

“How many Toby’s is too many?”

“How many pucks to the grill does it take to warrant a massive overpay?”

“What would Shawn Horcoff look like sitting on my knee with my arm up the back of his shirt?”

185. Captain Happy says:

Jouni Nieminen ‏@OnsideWithJouni 5m

Last 4 Stanley Cup-winning GMs: Lombardi, lawyer, Chiarelli, lawyer, Bowman, lawyer, Shero, lawyer. None had their name on Cup as a player.

186. Rondo says:

I want to look Kevin Lowe straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no good, rotten, floor-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d*ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*ss, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed, sack of monkey sh*t he is! Hallelujah! Holly Sh*t! Where’s the Tylenol?”

187. bookje says:

Rondo:
    I want to look Kevin Lowestraight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no good, rotten, floor-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d*ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*ss, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed, sack of monkey sh*t he is! Hallelujah! Holly Sh*t! Where’s the Tylenol?”

I don’t know you, but I am willing to bet that he would totally kick your ass before you got to the third comma – barn or no barn!

188. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

what?

Stauffer is like the little dog that runs along beside the big bulldog in the old cartoons. “Spike and I are friends. Right Spike?”

189. asiaoil says:

What a fucking joke are these clowns. Props to a couple MSM for not laying down and spreading in the PC. This garbage is not going to change until the day all these washed out 80s has-beens are retired. Good news is that it’s only another 10-15 years and they’ve been so bloody awful at their jobs that there are no old boys to replace them. Miss the playoffs next year and Lowe has a spectacular 90% failure rate over the last 10 years. He can shove his six rings up the same dark hole his head has occupied since 2006.

190. Gerta Rauss says:

What arrogance from Lowe. “2 types of fans..paying customers and….”

Fuck you.

191. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje:
    icecastles,

Re- the Queen’s MBA.

“Oh so you have an MBA. IN that case I’ll talk slooooooowwerrrrrrr”

192. LMHF#1 says:

Stauffer has adopted the Kevin Lowe approach on the radio show. His defensiveness is embarrassing.

At least the organization is consistent.

193. Gerta Rauss says:

Above is the presser…the web format has changed since I launched the video about half an hour ago…I can’t tell if it’s been cleansed at all by the Org(I don’t intend to watch it again)…it’s currently listed at about 34minutes(which seems about right)

194. Minister D- says:

Plus ça change plus c’est la même chose. Lowe is a complete boor who been living inside of his own head for so long that he’s become autistic. No matter how far in advance we knew of this (I think it was apparent from the moment MacT was rehired), the move still seems panicky, desperate, ill-considered, and reactionary.

That said: I’m not necessarily averse to MacT being the GM, even Howson as VP, but Lowe is an entitled sod who should be keelhauled out of town for his comments at the press conference alone, let alone his other considerable sins.

For some reason when MacT talks about how actions speak louder than words I hear Christian Bale’s stupid Batman growl: “It’s not who I am underneath, it’s what DOOOOO that defines me.”

195. FastOil says:

bookje:
    God, these guys are NOT handling questions about their role in managing this team in the past.MacT just blamed the 90′s and 00′s on winning cups in the 80′s.

A sense of entitlement being offended by those who couldn’t possibly understand what it means to be great?

So Oilers. Hope they keep the heat on. Apparently they haven’t been awake the last umpteen years the team they ran sucked. Maybe the 06′ thing hit the reset on sucking so it’s only been 7 years.

196. RMGS says:

Just saw the presser:

- The Oilers front office’s arrogance was in full display and is insufferable. ~~~ Then again, I’m only an occasionally paying customer, so who gives a shit? ~~~

- That said, MacT talked a good game, and I especially appreciate his emphasis on talk being cheap. He pointed out a lot that’s almost doctrine round these parts, so I’ll take that as a good sign.

- As Godot10 suggested, given the Boys on the Bus culture, MacT as GM may be the best for which one can hope.

Let’s go Oilers, let’s go!

197. striatic says:

The cognitive dissonance from Stauffer is astounding.

48 games isn’t enough to know if Krueger is a legit head coach, but it *is* enough to know that Dubnyk is a surefire NHL starter?

198. Scotty LaDouche says:

Does CHED not realize they went to static for 15 minutes

199. bookje says:

Gerta Rauss:
    What arrogance from Lowe. “2 types of fans..paying customers and….”

Fuck you.

To be fair, I accept my status as a leach. I record the games on my PVR and watch them without commercials. I never pay to go to games, but get free tickets every so often.

So, my contribution is to my cable package extras and a few slices of pizza a year. I pay for 1/5th of Ryan Jones’ skate lacing time for one game.

Newer Comments »