MOTEL MATCHES

With the Oilers giving it away like motel matches, terms like “must win” and “playoff chances” are put away for another year and we can move on to buyouts, blame and the draft. Again.

at game 29, we looked at games 30-40 being very important. At that time, I compared them year over year:

• 11-12 after 29: 14-12-3, 31pts
  • 12-13 after 29: 11-11-7, 29pts

The problem for last year’s team? Games 30-40:

• 11-12 games 31-40: 2-9-0, 4pts
  • 12-13 games 31-40: ????

Here’s how they looked after game 30:

mar 25

And since then, the club has gone 6-4-0, a huge improvement over one year ago but only good enough to move up the chart a little:

this morning

I think we can safely say they won’t catch Calgary and Colorado, and Florida plus Carolina have a head start in the lottery too; having said that, your Edmonton Oilers could be drafting top 5 this summer. That takes us from Curtis Lazar to Sean Monahan or Valeri Nichushkin.

137 Responses to "MOTEL MATCHES"

1. regwald says:

Fire MacTamboLowe … fire them all. This is ridiculous.

2. Kris11 says:

I think the Oilers picks should be forfeited.

The league has pitied the Oilers too much already by giving them the best young players. At this point, more pity is just gross.

Losers.

3. Hammers says:

A team with no character . The only initial benefit may be Tambellini gets fired . Lowe probably should to as he hired the guy . Said it for 3 years Vancouver passed on him twice as there GM .There are 10 players that must be cut loose and if Krueger fights for any of them he should go to .

4. BlacqueJacque says:

I’m sorry all, but first I’m going to laugh at the suckers who watched the game, and then I’m going to resume spamming #firmactamblowe with every post.

The management on this team is beyond incompetent. The average hockey fan would be as good, and given that the posters on HF and ON are smarter than the average hockey fan, you know this is a damning indictment.

5. Hammers says:

The ten . Belanger, Eager , Pettrell, Brown ,Jones , Hordichuck, Whitney, Fistric, Potter, Toss up on Smithson , Peckham & Smyth.

6. danny says:

*reposted from end of last post comments*

Does anyone think starting a Kickstarter funded project to purchase a full page ad in an Edmonton tabloid, and create an open letter to Katz. The contents of the letter would probably be determined by committee, but i suspect that it would be asking to be heard, and direct him/media to a supporting website, chronicling a handful of well-spoken and logical/statistical findings from respected sources in the Oiler community.

I’d be on board with doing a large share of the work, if I get the sense that people think its a worthwhile endeavour,

For anyone unfamiliar with Kickstarter, it’s a crowdsourcing platform where you state the project parameters, and a goal amount. People that want to partake in the funding of your project make donations.

Interested in peoples thoughts. I’d imagine an ad buy like that could cost a fair amount, but kickstarter is pretty impressive for these things.

Using twitter, facebook, HFboards, blogs etc, it would reach a large audience fairly quickly. I think the MSM would cover it as it progresses too. It’s an interesting way to vent some of our frustrations at the very least.

7. Hammers says:

One more thing . Send J.Schultz to OKL with Lander, to help them get in playoffs and help him get his game back . Oh thats a GM decision .

8. Radman says:

Just can’t bring myself to get excited about another top 5 pick. There is a shelf life on these things. Maybe in June.

Hopefully another playoff miss motivates a house cleaning. Need to change the culture of losing mentality. So desperately need some fresh perspective at the top, and some veterans that know what it takes to win games like last night. Pretty obvious, but I have my doubts we’ll see meaningful change. The rut is pretty deep.

9. regwald says:

danny:
    *reposted from end of last post comments*

I’d be in for $50.

10. bookje says:

danny:
    *reposted from end of last post comments*

It’s just hockey – if you are going to dedicate your time and money to something why not find a real cause to attach yourself to?

Besides, I suspect that Katz is not easily influenced.

11. Hammers says:

I have never sent 4 messages but I’m pissed . Bad enough we pour our money and time into OUR team Mr.Katz but if you do nothing again we all suffer . More importantly the decent players you have are learning the wrong things . Right now I feel sorry for a guy like Horc who does his best under incompetent leadership..What do you think Hall, RNH , Yak , Ebs , Schultz . Petry &Gags really think .LET ME OUT is what I think .

12. 106 and 106 says:

bookje,

Who says sports isn’t a real cause? i volunteer tons for “real causes” but I’m also passionate about the team – Danny, do it bud – at the VERY least, it would get some attention drawn to it.

And Bookje, don’t you comment, like every day on these sites? #hypocrite

13. rich says:

For this team to come out in an important game last night and play with a complete lack of urgency is very dissapointing. It speaks to the culture surrounding the team.

I thought there were some excellent posts in yesterday’s thread trying to explain what’s happening on the ice – and while I can accept a part of that (new coach and system), that does not absolve the coach either. You don’t have enough time to practice the system – you simplify things so that you can have some success…unless management has basically told you this season doesn’t matter.

I’m not advocating a coaching change because you can’t keep changing the voice behind the bench (unless the coach has lost the team). But this management group has to change. There is no vision for a proper rebuild. Adding a couple of kids and deeply flawed vets each year is not effective. Doing nothing at the trade deadline (sorry, adding Smithson is not a move towards being competitive) is not a plan for improvement when you have obvious holes. Not even moving UFA’s that the coach won’t play has become the symbol for Tambellini and Lowe. They talk a great plan, but the plan does not work.

But what really amazes me is that the fans in Edmonton are willing to tolerate this is. The re-build is not in year 3 – we’re now in year 7 and this team is only marginally better because there is high end skill on the team. The flaws are still significant.

And yet, seats are full, fans show up and accept this. Sure, a couple of people will call in their frustrations to a radio show where apologists (Tencer) will defend the “plan”. A few others will just make emitional outbursts – which managers are trained to ignore (it’s why they’re called fanatics – so you can’t react to every outburst). Besides, the owner is getting his new playpen, why should he care when in the end, he’s going to get his money back because his investment grew in value.

So thank you Mr. Katz. Thank you for giving us the NYI West. For allowing your loyalty to a dynasty that ended over 20 years cloud your business judgment – something you’d never allow in your real business. You’ve obviously decided that as long as the fans buy tickets, merchandise and $8 beers, that management must be doing something right. We as fans are so fortunate to have Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini running this show and owe it all to you.

14. Gret99zky says:

Predictions:
    -Horcoff will remain Captain of the team.
    -Smyth will be back next year.
    -Tambi will be replaced by Howson.
    -Khabby will be re-signed for 1 year for too much $ and get injured.
    -Whitney will be re-signed for 2 years for too much $.
    -Petrell will be re-signed for reasonable $ but too long a term.
    -Hemsky will be traded for size.
    -Gagner will be extended for too much $.
    -Jones and Peckham will sent down the road.
    -Klefbom will be forced into the line-up before he is ready.
    -MSM will claim this is year 4 in a 5-7 year re-build.
    -The Oilers 2013 first draft pick will be disappointing in the eyes of the fans and bloggers.
    -Hall will become increasingly frustrated with the lack of brains in the braintrust and it will show in his game, body language, and may eventually ask for a trade out of town.
    -The new arena conspiracy theory will gain traction.

15. Mark-LW says:

#FireOilersExecs #FOE

16. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide

That takes us from Curtis Lazar to Sean Monahan or Valeri Nichushkin.

If the Oilers draft around 5th, then definitely Monahan or Nichushkin. However, if the Oilers are drafting around 8 – 10th, why not Frederick Gauthier? I see very little talk about him around these parts. On the surface, a 6’5″ two-way centre scoring a point per game in his draft year is the size, position, and skill this team is looking for, no?

17. Cobbler says:

rich,

Rich,

I wish we were NYI West. We would be looking at making the playoffs this year.

After the lack of effort and utter disarray I saw on the ice last night, I can only hope we turn into a team like the Isles.

A disgusting effort from the Oilers these last 4 games particularly given the position they were in.

Vanilla….

18. Bad Seed says:

danny,

Awesome. I’m in.

19. Rondo says:

Trade Edmonton’s first rd pick 2013 for Adam Larsson.

Start building a team

20. Vince says:

I think I’m already over the playoff hype and have moved on to the edge my my seat terror at what might happen at the draft thru the opeing of free agency, good primer for the “oilers screwed up their rebulid” narrative I expect to be reading about in 10 months.

21. remlap says:

danny:
    *reposted from end of last post comments*

I would definitely be in. Big fan of Kickstarter, and a big fan of trying to send some sort of message to Oilers management. And yes, like you said, if we re-post it enough, we could get potentially get quite a bit of media coverage. I’m not sure if anyone has done anything like this before on Kickstarter.

Sign me up for pledging, and, if you’re interested, helping out with some of the actual business-type things that would need to be done.

Toss me a DM on Twitter @remlap13

22. speeds says:

LT, you think Lindholm sounds like the kind of player EDM might look at as well?

23. madas says:

regwald: I’d be in for $50.On another note, on Tuesday afternoon I received a phone call to be part of a Edmonton Oilers focus group on Wednesday night. So, of course I said yes. The lady on the call mentioned something about the arena, but when the invite came it only said it was an Edmonton Oilers focus group.I suspect Katz wants to know if the average fan will pay a licensing fee for their seats … lol

Danny, I’d be in too… I understand that this may not be the most noble of causes but I think the fans in Edmonton have seen enough apathy from the management of this team to warrant this. I would see if you could get Oilersnation and “Wanye Gretz” involved in this, he may be willing to back it up.

24. Doug McLachlan says:

Disappointed, sure, but not surprised. Would I have liked a peek at the post-season this year, absolutely but at the start of the year the goal was to be in the race until the end – with three weeks left we were in 8th. Wanted more, to be sure, but not distraught. 20th – 25th is a distressingly slow improvement from 29th-30th but it IS an improvement.

We learned good lessons this year too: Dubbie can be a #1 goalie; Krueger can coach a PP as well as a PK; Hall has a “beast-mode” function that we will want to see more of. We got tantalizing hints at other good things to come: Nuge has a big, Datsukian brain on him; Justin Schultz can be a top-pairing guy; and Yakupov has a lazer of a shot. Don’t focus too much on the clouds that to forget the sun, people.

This upcoming draft reminds me of 1990. That was Jagr’s year. Recall that Jagr went FIFTH! Owen Nolan, Nedved, Primeau and Ricci went before him. ‘Twas a good draft. Unless Tambo’s rabbit foot qualities win us another lottery (in which case I must presume that is begins to show in the advanced stats as something he is doing to push the river) we aren’t getting Jones or McKinnon. Personally I would love to get Barkov but don’t think we fall quite that much. We might, however, be able to snag Nichushkin who – IMO – may be this year’s Jagr. Trust in Stu.

25. Henry says:

I think MacT will be the GM after the season.

I want to see a serious push from the Oilers the rest of the way. I don’t expect it, but want to see who is a competitor at the NHL level. It is clear who has ability at the NHL level.

The effort in the Phoenix game was far better than Anaheim but still not good enough.

26. Cobbler says:

If we are in range I would like to see them take Monahan. A bigger centre is what this team needs. Fill out the wings through FA.

Please don’t draft another skilled winger!

27. gcw_rocks says:

danny,

LOL. I was looking into what an ad would cost last week! I couldn’t think of any other way to get Katz’s attention…

28. gcw_rocks says:

wheatnoil,

Gauthier has bounced around the rankings, but if the offense is there for second line C, he would be perfect for the Oilers.

29. fuzzy muppet says:

Amateur scouting is fine…Professionally, not so much. Bye Morey Gare

30. GordM says:

If you want to reach Katz you might need to try the Vancouver Sun instead.

I’ll have an easier time getting excited for next season if they package our now-potential-top-5-pick with another asset or two to land us that defenseman we dearly need (Weber). Or as others have suggested, straight up for a D-man more NHL-ready (ex Larsson). Or with something for some guy we aren’t thinking of like Gudbranson, Bogosian, Myers.

I don’t know if my patience is there to wait for yet another 18 year old to find his full stride in 3-4 years.

31. mustang says:

Last night was beyond disappointing, this team doesn’t know/or can’t compete to the level they need to win, plain and simple. I’m so frustrated with these guys, especially the older veterans. Hemsky, I’m done with this guy, sublime talent but can’t put it together 95% of the time, he’s no leader never has been, I honestly think he would prefer to play in the world championship. He needs to go, so does Smyth..retire already your embarrassing yourself, Whitney do not sign this guy, Petrell, Jones. Tambi and Lowe can hit pave as well. Bring in Burke, at least he can assemble a team which will compete.

32. BlacqueJacque says:

danny,

I’ll do another $50, with the proviso that there is a legal contract ensuring the funds are used as intended.

To whoever said “why not a real cause”, I already donate to charity and it’s my god damn money.

33. rickithebear says:

fuzzy muppet: WHat they really NEED to do is get rid of the entire Professional Scouting Department. They haven’t hit on a player in YEARS.

I would hope everyone has looked at our prospect and player situation post 06 cup run.
    then look at were we were at end of 06-07 season.

Can we think of a team that was in just as awful a situation.
    That has turned it around!
    Has passed us.
    That was driven by scouting and pro player based trades.

Umh!
    Oh wait!
    the guy who did that is helping our pro scouting and Gret99 thinks he is our next GM.

The only acquisition since has Smithson.

34. admiralmark says:

fuzzy muppet:

Amateur scouting is fine…Professionally, not so much.Bye Morey Gare

Yes to this?! Or how much of it falls on Tambellini to take what he gets from his Pro Scouts and decide?! I don’t know which is to blame more… So to be safe we should clean out both!

But truly the time of waiting to start making some moves.. real moves from the GM position must be this summer. It might be ridiculous but I would clean out 4 of the bottom 6 . Bring up Harti. And compile an entirely new 4th line. Big moves need to be made and there are going to be MANY opportunities to do so with the shrinking cap. Teams will be dropping players at a bargain to get below cap line and the opportunities will be there… Problem is that our Pro Scouts are looking like absolute shit and providing the necessary direction?!

35. mc79hockey says:

I’ll throw in $50 and I’d be interested in helping with the execution.

36. sliderule says:

Gee folks don’t give the oil management an idea to trade our pick for Larsson

The Larsson with no goals and 5 pts and a healthy scratch for a bunch of games..

Bad bad idea they might pick up on.

37. CM says:

mc79hockey,

I’ll Throw in $50 and am interested in Tyler helping with the execution.

38. Captain Happy says:

mc79hockey:
    I’ll throw in $50 and I’d be interested in helping with the execution.

Guillotine or poison?

39. sliderule says:

When they didn’t pick up Jokinen either on waivers or some kind of trade I became convinced the tank was still on.

I know he gets a big check for one more year but even with him we would still be under the cap .

They will try to make some major moves this summer probably sending away some of the players we like.

I know we think we are all smart as hell and management are dumber than a bag of hammers but Lowe did trade for some pretty damn good players in a previous life.

Our pro scouting has been the shits but MacT has been spending a lot of time in other people’s rinks.

I try to be hopeful that they can be smarter than us and make some good moves

The other problem they most likely won’t deal with is coaching.

This bunch of retreads just won’t cut it and before we can have any real success will need to be all replaced just not rebranded

40. crust says:

If you want management’s attention, organize the fans to stay home from just one particular game. Playing to an empty arena might have some impact. Perhaps something urging the fans to miss game X could be included in the open letter??

41. danny says:

Ok guys, it seems like it’s not that crazy of an idea. I will make inquiries to gather details on insertion prices etc. Tyler would definitely be invited to play as large of a role in this as he wants to take.

If this starts to happen, I will create a separate forum elsewhere. This will not be my personal soapbox / agenda or MY project at all, I will just take a role in the task / technical execution and help moderate this process and keep things as sophisticated and intelligent as possible.

This won’t be an LT’s blog thing. I didn’t ask his permission to do this here and I don’t think this is the best place to handle the details of pulling something like this off. I will keep people updated here and provide info on how to get involved etc.

BlacqueJacque:

BlacqueJacque, If this happens, I will be using Kickstarter. I’m not well versed in Kickstarter, but I’d imagine they have legal checks in place to protect peoples donations. I won’t do anything that’s not transparent to everyone involved. This will be a committee/community project.

42. danny says:

bookje:

I think this may be more about the fans having a voice more than anything else. If it did happen and get successful coverage, then it changes the dynamic a bit I think.

There can also be a charity component to this if deemed appropriate… I have a couple ideas however this isn’t the time or place to hash details like these out. All in due time.

43. russ99 says:

Gret99zky,

The new arena conspiracy theory already has a lot of traction, especially if Katz is trying to push a seat license scheme…

This summer will be the tell. If there’s a management reshuffling and they make smart moves, cut away the deadweight, use a buyout or two, and acquire at least average to good experienced help in the bottom 6, the defense and at backup goalie, then we can discount that theory.

If the management team comes back intact, we draft a coke machine in the first, re-sign more than one of Khabibulin, Whitney, Jones or Petrell, bring back most of the RFAs and bring in Grebeshkov in lieu of a FA defenseman, then the fix is in.

44. denny33 says:

Doug McLachlan,

The New York Islanders are close to making the playoffs.

We are looking up at the Columbus Blue Jackets ( who have been without their 1st pick in last years NHL entry draft )

Should we select a new set of teams to benchmark ourselves?

It has been a famous trio for some time…in NHL ranks – the Jackets, the Islanders and Oilers.

45. Bag of Pucks says:

I think it’s encouraging that Edmonton’s much too passive hockey fanbase is finally looking to find a voice for its displeasure, but agree with those who state it will only have impact if it hits Katz on the bottom line.

On that front, I do wonder why Katz always seems to escape the well deserved criticism leveled at his management staff? This team is $16mil below the cap! What about that screams that we have an owner that is serious about competing?

Is it not possible and in fact, even highly probable, that the call for a rebuild was also a carefully considered smokescreen enabling the owner to cut payroll and further ratchet up the profits? Last night’s thread mentioned how it seems most fans surrounding the Octane Girls are embarrassed, and why wouldn’t they be? Is that Katz’ idea of a quality product? I suspect it is, because Katz who rarely attends the games of his supposedly beloved Oilers, could actually care less about you as a fan, and in all likelihood, probably thinks you’re stupid. What else should a billionaire conclude about people who buy a clearly inferior product?

Organizing an online petition or full page newspaper ad (what is this the 1920s?) is a laudable pursuit, but I would suggest the critique of management is the tip of the iceberg. Owners like Ed Snider get criticized a lot, and rightfully so, for their meddling. But at least you know he wants to win. Katz? I’m not convinced. Criticism of the Oilers has to go to the top and that is not management. This owner is $16mil under the Cap with one of the most profitable operations in the league and he’s consistently putting an inferior product on the ice.

Stop going through the turnstiles and supporting this shite. That is the only way things change. Unfortunately what will end up happening over these final games is the corporate fat cats will pawn their tickets off on clients as a goodwill gesture and the seats will stay relatively full.

Oh, and in terms of management, the Canucks sheltered the Sedins to maturation with Naslund and Bertuzzi. TamboLoweMacSon gave our boys Horcoff and Hemsky. It’s fairly easy to conclude where the solutions lie.

46. Hammers says:

Sorry guys . Katz won’t listen to fans complaining . It’s not in his nature . He is a business man first and foremost even though he loved the Oilers of the 80′s . To bad he doesn’t realize how that team was built and ran by Fraser / Slats etc . The same as the Detroit model of the last 20 years .What I don’t understand is I thought his Ego would jump start something . We have a few weeks to see if he does anything . Good Luck Danny.

47. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

mc79hockey:
    I’ll throw in $50 and I’d be interested in helping with the execution.

Kickstarter’s policies likely exclude firing squad, hanging, electrocution, and lethal injection.

48. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Critical ads and social network campaigns don’t seem to fit kickstarter either:

49. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Accountability starts at the top. Tambellini may be the source of issues or he may be a figurehead to shield Lowe. Until Lowe is gone every move is questionable to his influence.

Lowe must Go

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Missed the fun yesterday, but caught the game.

Hall and Yak are exceptionally fun to watch. I could watch that all day. The rest of the game… meh…

Just wanted to aplaud this hilarious idiosyncracy from Hunter yesterday:

People from Ontario do this, people from the West do that, Quebeckers usually do something else…I’m suspicious of hat wearing singers. Where do you think I’m from?

This is great. Just great. The nuance is spectacular. Hunter doesn’t hate “hat wearing singers” which in itself would be an impressive feat of idiosyncratic rancour, he is “suspicious” of them.

What are they trying to hide anyway? I’d guess a receding hairline… but I suspect Hunter has a more metaphysical explanation for his distaste.

I’ve always found this “hatted” performance to be an exceptional example of pandering to the local crowd, although I suspect it’s not the hat that most find “suspicious”:

Regarding the Hip. As another BC transplant to Ontario, I can confirm that the favor this province has bestowed on this middling rock band is highly confounding to an outsider and clearly bespeaks a kind of regional phenomenon not uncommon to the human experience.

51. Quicksilver Ballet says:

Curtis Lazar…

If there Oilers do take him, how far is he away from helping the Oilers? Two yrs away perhaps.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

If you are just looking to “crowdsource” $$ there are numerous options:

(I know nothing about this… these just came up from a simple google search. I’m guessing you can find a site to work for you… maybe you could even simply create a paypal account and ask people to send it money and get Tyler or someone else the Oilogosphere trusts to manage the account…. )

53. Truth says:

I think coaching has to be brought into this as well. It is quite clear Kreuger has not been supplied the proper personnel, but the defensive zone play is a joke. The man on man defense the Oilers play is absolutely horrendous.

Not only is man defense ridiculously easy to beat on skates with players at the NHL level, it completely screws up the breakout. Every player follows (yes follows) their respective opponent around the ice while the opponents easily retain possession while one opposing player simply has to get between the Oiler defender and the net for an easy scoring opportunity. After the shot and the odd time the Oilers get it back, the Oilers are so out of position they do the old rim it around the boards to the opposing defenceman for an easy turnover. If the Oiler winger (or center or defenceman at the winger’s position) is lucky enough to come in contact with the puck, the play is so often repeated and foreshadowed that the defenceman makes the easy and relatively safe pinch to keep the puck in to regain possession. Then watch the Oilers scramble to tightly check their man. It is by far the worst defensive zone play I have ever seen. I have honestly watched Peewee teams with a more effective system. It also doesn’t help that the Peewee team plays with more conviction than a group of multimillionaire professional athletes fighting for a playoff spot, but that is another matter.

Time for wholesale changes.

54. Bar_Qu says:

‘Read Kent Nilsson’s thoughts over at flamesnation today. Very interesting ideas re: Grabovski & Gardiner, who are suffering under Carlyle’s old school regime. NH sound like they could be had in the off-season for ‘hockey guys’ like Jones or Fistric. Worth a read.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, can just confirm that they only called up Lander to insure against another freak RNH day-of flu type situation, i.e., they never intended to play him?

That’s about the only explanation I can figure out: they got burned at Centre all year did nothing and now they are “correcting” the situation by bringing in Smithson and sitting Lander?

Is that right?

Looks like they are trading the clay in their garden for cement. Not sure why it’s so hard to find some soil… and potable water.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bar_Qu:

I was at the leafs-rangers game the other night. Carlyle makes a lot of weird decisions and he really seems to love and trust his bangers.

57. danny says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks ROM, I have those and am waiting for my media buyer to calculate it for me… I got as far as the lines but lost focus trying to marry that with the columns. The fact that I got that far would impress our accounts ppl. I prefer to think of newspaper rates / dimensions as one massive screw up waiting to happen so I just stay clear as much as possible.

58. Doug McLachlan says:

denny33,

Yup, the Islanders are in a playoff spot – and may keep it. Good on them, their fans deserve it. If I told you at the start of the season we would be outpointing Nashville and Philly you might have taken this as a good sign. The issue isn’t are we where we want to but but are we going where we want to go.

This season’s numbers don’t look much better than last years except last year we had a 19pts in our 18 games against the East. Our 16-17-7 record is an improvement, however marginal, on the 24-33-7 record we had against the West last year. The growth IS there, it just isn’t as much as we would all want.

We left pts on the table. I cited the Dallas game and the 2-0 lead on St.L above. I could also include the last minute collapse against a depleted Av’s team on a Saturday afternoon in Denver. Give us those 4pts and this current do-or-die games would not be as devestating. If wishes were horses, I know, but the needle is moving in the right direction – don’t lose sight of that.

59. HugThePost says:

There are some who have said that firing some/all of the management mid-season or at any time will not change anything around here.

But:

Look at what has happened in Columbus after they got rid of Howson (but since he is such a great manager, he is back here—that’s something to grate about elsewhere).

The new management goes out and makes some bold aggressive moves with conviction and the turn their season around.

Players notice what the managers are doing, there is no doubt about it. They want to win, but I believe they need to know management does too, and will do just as much as the players are willing to to do so.

So when Horcoff breaks his knuckle and we have no centers to help, and management does nothing and people like CVV and #94 are forced into roles they cannot help in, and when the trade deadline comes and goes after the team plays balls out, wins 5 straight and actually hold down a playoff spot, and all management does is get Smithson and nothing else…….one cannot help but think it takes a little out of the sails of the guys on the ice.

Big Sexy was right about Tambo and his crew. Say what you want about how he went about things while he was here, but he was dead right about his bosses. And now the Oilers are still paying him and his league-leading +/- to play for the playoff-bound Ducks.

60. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Odds that the Journal or Sun runs anything that remotely affects their place at the udder?

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:

I’d guess they would welcome the ad dollars and the same hope we all are clinging to… ie., the creation of a media firestorm…

one provocative ad can lead to a lot of ink being spilled.

62. Doug McLachlan says:

HugThePost,

Howson’s hiring by the Oil was the sort of courtesy hire you make to a friend to keep them in the NHL loop – not a substantive addition to the managment team.

That said, perhaps it should be. Columbus’ turnaround was not because of Davidson but becasue Howson’s pick-ups of Goalie Bob turned into gold and the much maligned Nash deal netted the Blue Jackets enough NHL players who could work in their system to win them more games than they were able to with Nash in the line-up. Howson had to go, to be sure, but don’t think he doesn’t still have his “Tallon”s all over this much-improved line-up.

63. Truth says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

I believe Lander was called up right after Belanger’s failed attempt to come back off injury and just prior to the deadline in which they acquired Smithson. They didn’t play him in Vancouver because they were still on a roll and kept Smyth in the middle, and then Smithson joined the team in Cali. No idea why he wasn’t sent to OKC when the team went to Cali though.

64. Captain Happy says:

Doug McLachlan:
    HugThePost,

That said, perhaps it should be.Columbus’ turnaround was not because of Davidson but becasue Howson’s pick-ups of Goalie Bob turned into gold and the much maligned Nash deal netted the Blue Jackets enough NHL players who could work in their system to win them more games than they were able to with Nash in the line-up.Howson had to go, to be sure, but don’t think he doesn’t still have his “Tallon”s all over this much-improved line-up.

Kelkalainen picking up Gaborik at the deadline shouldn’t be overlooked either. He has produced 2 goals and 5 points in his 4 games with the Jackets who were sorely lacking scoring.

Kelkelainen did, however, give credit to Howson for accumulating the assets that made that possible.

65. Showerhead says:

My theory on Lander: They perceive him to be one of their core guys – the group of people they envision holding down roster spots when the Edmonton Oilers are eventually “good”. You know, the way it’s obvious Taylor Hall will be Edmonton’s #1LW if/when they win the Cup, I feel that Oiler MGMT has Lander’s name sketched in at #3C.

Why do I think his has anything to do with how they’re handling him?

They threw his name up on the board, half drunk, a long time ago and it looked good. They’ve been completely blind to any of his real struggles or need for development, but god damn is it nice to think that the checking line center spot is taken care of forever. Based on this, it didn’t matter if he played during the recent call-up – more importantly, he was with “the guys” in and around meaningful games. Whether or not he played, this was to magically imbue him with “eye glow” and give him the experience in “poise” required to contribute years down the line.

Now that the games don’t matter, he’s off to OKC to be part of their playoff run.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Truth: They didn’t play him in Vancouver because they were still on a roll and kept Smyth in the middle

It’s frightening to consider they may have correlated the win streak with playing Smyth out of position.

That’s quite possibly the last item I would list as contributing to those wins.

67. FastOil says:

sliderule:

I know we think we are allsmart as helland management are dumber than a bag of hammers but Lowe did trade for some pretty damn good players in a previous life.

I try to be hopeful that they can be smarter than us and make some good moves

The other problem they most likely won’t deal with is coaching.

This bunch of retreads just won’t cut it and before we can have any real success will need to be all replacedjust not rebranded

I agree. As far as tanking, it started last summer. In doing nothing to improve a terrible team, reasonably no other result should have been counted on. Any improvement would mostly come down to luck. What else can you call it when a team that is awful makes no effort to get better, even if the effort is misguided? It has to be by intent.

Even Hall & Co. moving forward is not enough in the NHL to ice a team with 3 NHL defencemen none of which are solid first pairing, one good experienced centre, and the worst 4th line in the league. We have seen many teams with some great players go nowhere because the GM bought into myths and couldn’t build a competitive team below his star players.

Which brings me to our GM oligarchy. I had a few comments about Jokinen at the time, and someone posted about his declining offense and that he doesn’t hit etc.. Here in lies the biggest worry for me.

The “quads” believe in myths. That hitting is more important than ability. That size is more important than ability. That faceoffs mean anything much. That one good season makes a star you have to pay a lot to. That reputation has current value outside of marketing.

Worry #2 is that because they are seeking “character” role players and hard players, they are showing that they don’t have sound strategic plans in place. Their “intangibles” is a word used by those who don’t understand what it is they seek. It’s intangible because they don’t comprehend it.

What makes Crosby and Hall who they are is great skill combined with incredible drive. They refuse to be beaten. Like Gretzky (who Badger Bob called the most competitive player he had ever seen) and Messier. And Kevin Lowe.

If the quads don’t soon come to realize that one without the other doesn’t work, they could do a lot of damage. If you have a young core, unless you are planning long term and intend to find vets now for the interim, there isn’t time to develop role players. They are the lower end players and take years to learn to be good at it.

It doesn’t make sense to grow you own for the short term. Role players are the easiest and cheapest to find. The other problem with this is that role players as many have said are often failed skill players that adapt to stay in the league.

Would you rather have a guy that scored 100 pts in his draft year or 40 playing third and fourth line? If you draft a player for the bottom six because of some attribute/s, you end up with a less skilled player on your team because the player will be lower scoring in junior or you’d be drafting him for the top 6. You also wait years for him to season. It’s just common sense.

Kevin Lowe was a high end D when drafted and played a “shutdown” role in the NHL. These guys have lived this, the team they played on was innovative and tried all types of players and thought outside of the box – they have no excuse for such wrong headed thinking now.

Unless the lights come on at Kingsway and they populate the bottom six and bottom half of the D with some capable vets (regardless of size), they will construct a high event team that has weak depth and will not score well if the top players can’t produce every night, which happens when the chips are down and checking is tight.

68. James says:

I love this place, but jesus christ if you’re raising money give it to the Food Bank or WIN House or something. In no universe will this ad have any effect on anything meaningful.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

James:

Giving money is rarely a zero-sum game. I can’t imagine anyone donating to an ad buy who would have pull that money from their “food bank jar.”

You should never discount the power of anything — even an advocacy ad — to spur a social media campaign.

It seems to me there is a pretty great level of interest in the Oilers and that interest is almost universally frustrated with mgt. Giving that population a cipher to effectively marshal their frustration seems like a sound strategy to if not effect change at least force an uncomfortable conversation for mgt.

70. TheOtherJohn says:

Danny I will throw in $50.00 on the condition that the message is NOT patience.

Suggest Howard Beale’s speech in Network “We’re mad as hell and we’re not gonna take it amymore”

Can we also quit with the wishful thinking “we gotta be tanking”! It is simply not true and what is worse, there is ZERO evidence that supports the thoeory. Reconcile yourself to the fact that our management group is stupid and unable to identify and assemble a competitive roster.

They are exceptionally good at pushing any form of accountability into the next decade but little else

71. HugThePost says:

All that posting an ad does is confirm to Katz and his group that the team has a very very captive audience.

Nothing changes until the team skates out to friends and families on game nights, the corporate boxes are empty, and nobody is guying advertising space on the Rexall boards.

ie. as long as the paying fan keeps the team relevant, nothing nothing nothing will change.

72. FastOil says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Danny I will throw in $50.00 on the condition that the message is NOT patience.

You’re likely right but assuming tanking is easier to take. There is still hope with tanking because it can go away

73. Genjutsu says:

Before this season started if you told me that Horc would be hurt for most of the franchise record longest ever road trip and that Belanger would spend a good chunk of the season playing the 3C hole with broken toes ahead of CVV; I would have said: So Jones or MacKinnon then?

It was rotten luck and one team was out of it enough to want to sell replacements at that point. I didn’t expect to see the second season. But I also had the no idea the kids would be so good.

Silver linings again. This draft class is good.

Doesn’t make it suck any less though.

74. FastOil says:

MacT got an MBA, no? He will want to be GM when Tambellini gets a new title. I think they will give Steve a break now, he’s taken enough lumps for them.

75. Showerhead says:

The ad would have to be:

1) Big.
    2) Prominent.
    3) Direct.
    4) Firm enough to be embarrassing, but not too embarrassing.
    5) It would have to leave Katz with an “out”. IE not “your team sucks and you’re awful and this is terrible” but with “you’re new, the fact that your team is terribly built must be shocking, here’s what to do”

There are only two ingredients necessary for any public-driven policy change: pressure from the public and pressure from the people in the boardroom. The 2nd can come from the 1st but sometimes it doesn’t. The 1st could come in the form of this ad. I say go for it!

And to anyone saying “use your money some other way”, grow up. Everyone has (or should have) a discretionary or entertainment budget. No one is telling you to spend more or less on your rent or your car or your food or your anything… and I say this as someone who has worked successfully for social justice organizations in the past. Choice is key, no need to preach.

76. TheOtherJohn says:

FFS lets quit with the excuses. Ottawa lost the reigning Norris trophy winner, their 1C and their starting goalie that is 3 of their key 5 players and are in the 6th slot in the East

77. Doug McLachlan says:

TheOtherJohn,

No excuses but where do you think Ottawa would place in the West?

78. BlacqueJacque says:

James:

Do what you want with your money, don’t tell me what to do with mine.

79. jonrmcleod says:

James,

Since you mentioned Jesus Christ, here’s what someone once said to him: “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” (John 12:4). His name was Judas.

80. Ducey says:

TheOtherJohn:

If the Oilers were in the same situation everything would be swell?

81. gcw_rocks says:

I am in for $50. I recognize its a long shot, but I think it is worth it. It’s different enough it should get noticed, if not by Katz himself then by his friends who will surely ask if he has seen it.

82. BlacqueJacque says:

Showerhead,

The ad should be a “Thank you Kevin Lowe &co.. Happy Retirement” ad. You know, thanking him for his accomplishments – 15 out of 16 seasons without a playoff series win, three first overall picks, six straight seasons of early golf for the Oilers to rest them up next year, his tremendous poise, his dedication to former Oilers, no matter how skilled, etc.”

Plus a suggestion to Katz to hire people based on competence, not former Oilers who allowed him to come along for beers.

83. jonrmcleod says:

My point in the above comment is not to imply that anyone here has the character of Judas. I’m simply saying that all of us spend/waste some of our disposable income on things other than charitable causes. And to complain about people spending $50 on an ad is self-righteous and hypocritical. :)

84. cabbiesmacker says:

Billboard ads might be more bang for the buck than the newspaper. Just sayin.

Put me down for $50 if the ad includes a pic of me pressing ham against a plate glass window. An even hun if I can have an Oiler mini flag flapping from my sphicter

85. spoiler says:

If you are going to buy an ad–and I personally want no part of it, but can understand the sentiment–I strongly recommend you either have Tyler write the ad or at least vet the writing of the ad.

Rather than some of the more over-the-top recommendations above.

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod:

If you read Nikos Kazantzakis’ “Last Temptation of Christ” you will find a very different portrait of Judas.

That Judas would no doubt be a welcome “character comparable” for many.

87. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey: Is that the team that has lost 5 in a row, is 4-6 in their last 10, is just 2 pts into the playoffs and has a whopping 5 pts more than the Oilers?If the Oilers were in the same situation everything would be swell?

I get that you are the largest managment apologist that posts here but you comprehend the difference between being over the playoff line with 7-8 games to play as opposed being under the playoff line with 3 teams between you and the playoff line? Right. There is a difference. A big difference

. Withe 3 of Ottawa’s best players out for months. Not your 3C and 4C forwards.

If that was the Oilers you would be pissing your pants with joy. Instead we are on the outside looking in AGAIN with an equal opportunity to pick 5th as 12th. Thankfully you continue to preach patience

88. jonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve never read the book. The Wikipedia entry suggests that the book is not heretical. But I’m sure there are some parts that I’d disagree with. In the Gospels, Judas is a man who had a wrong expectation of what the Christ/Messiah should do and struggled with greed. And these two flaws led to his betrayal of Jesus, which he immediately regretted.

89. LoDog says:

jonrmcleod: My point in the above comment is not to imply that anyone here has the character of Judas. I’m simply saying that all of us spend/waste some of our disposable income on things other than charitable causes. And to complain about people spending $50 on an ad is self-righteous and hypocritical.

Yes, people can do whatever they want with their money. It is a total waste, will accomplish nothing and probably wouldn’t get published but enjoy lighting your $50 on fire.

And you can imply anything you want about fictional characters, who cares.

90. jonrmcleod says:

LoDog,

Never said I would light my $50 on fire. And implying something based on a fictional or a nonfictional character is the same implication. (But the above comments may have come across as more harsh than I intended. Sorry about that.)

91. JohnnyRocket says:

remlap,

Yes, yes, and yes! Please.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Kazantzakis was never deemed heretical by the Orthodox Church for this work or any other.

Many of his novels explicitly engage Christian themes, stories, messages, etc., and he had many vocal detractors both within the Orthodox confession and others.

He’s an interesting figure for many reasons but is actually rather typical of other 20th century figures working through their faith creatively. He left Crete (like Herzog refers to himself as a Bavarian and Yakupov a Tartan, Kazantzakis thought of himself as a Cretan before a Greek) young for France and studied under Bergson:

(Bergson is another interesting figure. A French Jew, he planned on converting to Catholicism at some point — not unlike Edith Stein — but refused to do so in solidarity against the Nazis. This is also interesting because the Catholic Church banned his books for “pantheism”)

and wrote his PhD on Nietzsche:

His theology is actually closer the “process theologians” that borrows from Bergson, Whitehead and James:

At any rate, he interprets Judas as Christ’s most ardent and committed follower (interestingly, Peter, the “rock,” is depicted as more wavering than his epithet would imply). He is portrayed as pushing the “human” Jesus toward the decisive conflict in the Jesus story and the conflict that informs most of Kazantzakis’ interests/works: the conflict between the human and divine within Jesus.

Kazantzakis’s treatment rests on the premise that without the betrayal Jesus cannot fulfil his destiny of confronting his inner conflict and at the same time the conflict of an unredeemed earth… Or, Jesus needed help to achieve his destiny and what if that gesture was one of love rather than greed, hatred, etc.

Anyway… as they say: just watch the movie… it’s also great!

93. FrankenOil says:

Can we just get a street sign that says “Honk if you want change at Oilers HQ” and get the hotel to place it out on the corner of 109th and Kingsway Ave and maybe one on Kingsway Mall’s property across from Oilers HQ? Or rent a billboard sign around Oilers HQ so the quad will see it everyday on their way to work?

94. DT says:

Spending $50 or $100 on this project would be much more satisfying than setting it on fire. It would also be a lot more satisfying than putting that money towards buying Oiler tickets or merchandise.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

damn moderation and its hatred of linking!

96. Nostradumbass says:

I’ll throw in $100

Don’t care what the ad say, a fan funded full page ad will send a very loud message

And the media will eat it up

97. FrankenOil says:

Or, could we use Kickstarter to fund a documentary called “The Kings of Kingsway” to chronicle the decline of a once proud franchise? Maybe we could even get Don Metz and his group to produce it ;) ?

98. Bad Seed says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Showerhead,

The ad should be a “Thank you Kevin Lowe &co.. Happy Retirement” ad.You know, thanking him for his accomplishments – 15 out of 16 seasons without a playoff series win, three first overall picks, six straight seasons of early golf for the Oilers to rest them up next year, his tremendous poise, his dedication to former Oilers, no matter how skilled, etc.”

This.

99. FastOil says:

FrankenOil:

Put one in downtown Vancouver as well. That will get Katz’ attention and be very awkward for him.

100. DeadmanWaking says:

Missing seven times is not that hard. All it takes is teamwork.

CFP: welshing (x1)
    EIG: improper farm system (x1)
    Lowe: inflated contracts, year of living dangerously (x2)
    Katz: whale hunting (x1)
    Honest rebuild: (x1)
    Tambi: Smyth at center (x1)

Juicy Fruit

101. JohnnyRocket says:

I agree with the billboard idea. It would be less likely to be rejected and it would be up much longer. I don’t know about the cost. Is there a billboard near Oiler HQ?

102. jb says:

103. FastOil says:

LT – what are the chances of getting Tambellini on your show with a few stat heads and nicely ask him how he feels about the bad players and what he might do to improve over the summer? Maybe show him a few examples how stats predicted a few things over the last few years. Could be fun.

104. JohnnyRocket says:

FastOil:

105. spoiler says:

jb: I propose we all gather in a large field and beg one of the many Gods for mercy. Arguably our most effective option.

Thank Gord that as hockey fans we are very lucky to have our own Living Gord.

Odin’s one-eyed stare got nuthin on our Gord.

106. Bad Seed says:

JohnnyRocket: I’d far rather see Lowe on the show in the same situation. Let’s get to the heart of the matter.

Neither would show up. They don’t have the balls to answer the tough questions. They’ll only answer the softballs that Bum Stuffer lobs.

107. denny33 says:

Ducey,

Yeah – if 35 year old phenom Eric Belanger and 34 year old Sean Horcoff had just managed to stay healthy…we would have been challenging the Ducks and Blackhawks.

We can only hope and pray Mr. Belanger is able to return to form next year.

108. FPB94 says:

I don’t buy Lazar at N10. He,s ranked in the low 20′s both by Button and Mckenzie.

Anyone but him seems a good pick.

I mean sweet jesus look at Nicholas Petan who’s just before him. A 120 points! God damn.

Especially when you have 3 guys who’ve scored 40+ goals and are over 6”0 (Mantha, Zykov and Richel)

109. Bag of Pucks says:

You can write the most eloquent and convincing ad showing clear and unassailable evidence of management incompetency with the Oilers, and it won’t matter a whit.

From the Gretzky sale to the Souray exile, bad PR rolls off the Oilers’ back.

The only way public communication from the fans will work is if A) the fans complaining are the selfsame ones paying the bills & B) there’s demonstrable proof that they’re united in their efforts to stop doing so.

The ad/appeal shouldn’t be to the team, owner and management. It should be to the fellow fans. It should call for a boycott on attendance with a specific target date from the games that remain and it should present a compelling argument why they’ll want to forgo their hard earned hockey ‘entertainment’ for a night to facilitate transformative change at the top.

I doubt either of the papers would run it, and really, there’s no reason a community in this day and age should have to pay to achieve this kind of exposure.

If Lowetide and/or OilerNation were so inclined, they have the platform and audience to drive awareness to an online petition. That petition could be facilitated on a website, on twitter, or even on facebook page.

The choice of media doesn’t create the audience. The validity and compelling nature of the content does. Execute it properly (i.e. add a forward to a friend component for viral potential) and put it in a place where disenfranchised Oiler fans already live, and this could gain its own momentum. Then, you seed it to the media, and they report on it, giving it the additional mainstream coverage you’re seeking for free.

110. skinny65 says:

I love the idea of a full page ad.
    And all those people saying it would be denied by the papers are crazy. It would be a big news story and besides the advertising money, the papers would be all over it. It’s a great way to focus not on this season, but on the culture of futility that tambo-lowe have brought.
    A simple laying out of the facts since Lowe took over which then slides towards our frustration at the apparent acceptance management has for losing.
    Properly done this will give the media a spark which will force a narrative. Which, as we know, the edm media sorely lacks.

111. BONVIE says:

Genjutsu:
    Before this season started if you told me that Horc would be hurt for most of the franchise record longestever road trip and that Belanger would spend a good chunk of the season playing the 3C hole with broken toes ahead of CVV;I would have said: So Jones or MacKinnon then?

It was rotten luck and one team was out of it enough to want to sell replacements at that point. I didn’t expect to see the second season.But I also had the no idea the kids would be so good.

Silver linings again.This draft class is good.

Doesn’t make it suck any less though.

Really!!!!! If your biggest injury is losing your 3rd line centre for 10 games, you should count yourself lucky. I mean the waivers or a third round pick could have filled that hole.

Last year when we had a real NHL coach we had a lot of man games lost to the key players of the roster, and had a weaker and younger roster but finished in relatively the same spot as this year.

112. spoiler says:

spoiler: Thank Gord that as hockey fans we are very lucky to have our own Living Gord.

Odin’s one-eyed stare got nuthin on our Gord.

Our Gord doing Gord’s work… snapping pencil necks.

113. Bag of Pucks says:

Further to my last post, the biggest challenge in organizing a coup d’état is uniting the populace.

The first step is convincing ALL Oiler fans that management is doing a bad job. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re quite there yet. There’s still a lot of apologists. In fact, I’m a recent convert myself.

Once they’re convinced, the populace then needs to be organized to storm the palace gates. Unfortunately, we don’t storm palace gates in the 21st century, we send $50 via paypal or sign a petition. This is the reason Russia has a Czar again and Rexall continues to happily serve all your pharmaceutical needs, but I digress…

114. commonfan14 says:

HugThePost: We’ve given them 7 years of sell outs, most of which to see perhaps the most putrid hockey ever played in these parts.

The thing is, I feel like there have been a ton of ridiculously entertaining nights and moments over the last 3 years.

Those highs eventually lead to a ton of frustration because we get glimpses of real greatness and then have it snatched away when the reality of the very real holes on the roster manage to overcome the top-end talent over the long term.

I don’t know though. Personally, I’ll take the rollercoaster for a little while longer as long as it seems to be leading somewhere. For me, it beats the merry-go-round of endlessly watching overmatched teams chip away at 8th place and knowing that they just don’t have any of the horses necessary to really compete.

The ’06 team taught us that adding one true superstar talent to a group like that can create magic, but he turned his back on us and we weren’t able to replace him through free agency or trade.

Now that they’ve swallowed their pride and delivered those superstars here, the next step is to surround them with those scrappy overachievers again. That seems easier to me than trying to do it the other way, although I’ll certainly nod along with anyone who expresses doubt about whether the current management group remembers how to get those guys anymore. They need to show us and it needs to begin this summer.

So while I’m right there with everyone else in that the frustration and disappointment turning over in my brain lost me some sleep last night, today I’m remembering that I also lost a lot of sleep the night Yak tipped one past Quick and made us believe there wasn’t anything he couldn’t do.

Like a lot of people, this is what I signed up for when I called for a new approach. So far, I don’t regret it.

115. Ducey says:

Bag of Pucks,

Yeah, the Oilers never listen to the fans.

By the way, which fans should they listen too?

Should they listen to the patient ones like me? The ones who were fine with letting the kids play until they started to force the issue. Or maybe they should have listened to the fans who were fine at the deadline not making any big changes (like 4 games ago)?

Should they listen to conspiracy nuts who believe they have been intentionally tanking this year for any number of reasons (including some that rank up their with aliens killing off the dinosaurs)? Maybe the nuts who are sad the populace doesn’t riot enough anymore.

Maybe they should listen to the fans who would pick every guy off waivers or trade for every player rumoured to be on the outs on their respective teams.

Or maybe the few thousand fans who would instantly trade the last player who screwed up in the last game, such as DD last night?

Maybe the guys who wanted to trade MPS for a Colby Armstrong type a few years ago, and have traded him mulitple times? Or the guy that texted in to 1260 this morning adamant they needed to trade Yak for Clarkson?

Maybe they should listen to Spector, or Gregor, or maybe Don Cherry?

I could go on. The point is the second that management starts listening to fans, they might as well resign. You can be pissed at them, you can give your opinion, but don’t be naive enough to think they should be listening to you – whoever you are.

116. cabbiesmacker says:

Man does Hall have a strong resemblance to Howe in that pic. It’s a sign from above I tell ya.

117. denny33 says:

FPB94,

Agreed. Not sure how Lazar has been brought up so much….Craig Button’s most recent list has Lazar down to #28.

You can maybe argue he could be slotted in the 20′s….but not sure how it is relevant to where we will be selecting….

Very perplexing…

118. Ducey says:

So anyway, Stauffer was mentioning today that people from other teams have been critical of the system the Oilers have been playing. They say its a hybrid that is very tough to play.

Maybe the solution to the problem is that the Oilers are just playing the wrong way?

119. stevezie says:

Of course I’d prefer a high pick, but at this point I think some organizational pride is a higher priority. For once we’re better off winning, even if it means drating at 14 instead of 6. Show the UFAs, show the fans, show the players themselves.
    Win Rocky, win.

120. FastOil says:

Any fan of a perennially bad team is unhappy, yet it seems like it might be worse when it appears they also have a more sophisticated and validated understanding of the game than the “professionals” in charge.

121. Ducey says:

denny33:
    FPB94,

Agreed. Not sure how Lazar has been brought up so much….Craig Button’s most recent listhas Lazar down to #28.

Very perplexing…

ISS has Lasar at #11 http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/85259/2013-iss-draft-rankings-jones-nichushkin-hold-top-two-positions/

They also have Barkov at 7 and Monahan at 8. Hopefully the Oilers can get into that mix.

I am not sure how ISS ranks historically but Button tends to go off the reservation a lot.

122. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey, I think we’re of the same mind on this, and just forming the argument from two different tangents.

Absolutely agree that it’s nigh impossible to achieve unity among the fanbase on this (and is that even desirable as you rightly question?), so ultimately what you’ll be left with is a passionate splinter cell comparable to those diehards burning Pocklington in effigy after the Gretzky sale.

Where I may disagree with you is its seems to a certain extent as if you’re advocating apathy in the face of incompetence?

You are absolutely right. The fanbase is all over the map and with that in mind, their opinions on managing the team have to viewed from that context. But it’s also important to remember that Katz is selling a product and brand loyalty to any product is dependent upon that product continuing to meet the requirements of its consumers.

Katz and co. were smart enough to realize 3 years ago that the brand perception would suffer significantly during a rebuild. This is why they re-positioned the product (i.e. from compete for championships to hope down the road). This is also why they’ve continually been proactive in polling and meeting with their season ticket base (i.e. to keep a finger on just how much suffering they’ll put with before the revenues stop flowing). The crux of this however is they’re now selling gradual improvement, and at some point that improvement has to happen in a demonstrable fashion or fans WILL sour on the brand proposition and vote to put their disposable income elsewhere.

We’re not there yet, but I suspect if we’re at the bottom of the league this time next year, the apologists will jump ship almost en masse and declining revenues would force the issue (i.e. product improvement=regime change) on Katz.

When it comes to the product that is the Oilers, we each vote with our wallets. Ultimately each of us have to determine for our own selves when the product is no longer worth the investment. Personally, I don’t see the point in watching any more games this year. Do you?

123. spoiler says:

Don’t know if this technology will eventually give us a Battlestat, but I am very curious to find out what they can bring to hockey analysis:

At present, the tech is used to track player movement in Basketball and European Football. I thought they did Tennis too, but that must be a different source.

124. slopitch says:

I’d pitch towards the full page ad.

125. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, the irony in all of this is that Katz is providing an absolute top notch product in the form of the Oil Kings and they’re still forced to block off sizable chunks of the upper bowl during the current playoff run.

Odd, because I know which team has provided me with more entertainment value in the last couple years and it certainly hasn’t been the supposed ‘major league’ squad.

126. TheOtherJohn says:

DeadmanWaking: Missing seven times is not that hard. All it takes is teamwork. CFP: welshing (x1)EIG: improper farm system (x1)Lowe: inflated contracts, year of living dangerously (x2)Katz: whale hunting (x1)Honest rebuild: (x1)Tambi: Smyth at center (x1) We could well make the playoffs for the next seven years straight. Even without a firing squad. I don’t see any problems so large that Tambi can’t address them over the summer. Nor do I see any reason why he won’t. I think he’s just as capable and prepared to bring necessary pieces into the fold when he chooses to as Lowe was at the trade deadline when we pickup up Roloson et al–and just as capable as Lowe of waiting until the eleventy-oneth hour to bring in Roloson, which nearly cost us our glass-slipper guaranteed boarding pass. Juicy FruitI guess I’m angst-impaired. Anyways, the first seven years are the hardest. Isn’t that right, Wilson? Now if only that Porta Potty shell wall would wash back up on the beach, we’d be all set. Shame we let that slip right though our fingers. Isn’t that right, Wilson? Wilson? Wilson! Wilsssssssonnnnnnn! Dammit, Wilson, pay attention, or I’m counting to three …

DMW

Disagree with you

Have absolutely no idea how the lack of the farm system is laid at the feet of EIG. None. That is a hockey operations decision. Purely. Here is your budget spend it where you want. Well I do understand how it could be said, it just invloved the person who made the decision blames the parties no longer in the building for whatever goes wrong. That would be K Lowe. At the exact same time with very similar respources Nashville set up and ran a farm team that sent a number of prospects to the NHL team. Incredibly short sighted for whoever was in charge of hockey operations. Large contracts? They are being handed out thsi past off season: We spent to 90% of the cap while finishing 30th, 30th, 29th and now 25th????? signed by both of our last 2 GM’s Smyth 2 freakin years after he had a bad second 1/2 last year…. 2 years???? Have no clue why anyone would think Smyth could play centre particularly after he played centre part time in the cup run so unsuccessfully 7 years ago. Too bad we do not have anyone left in management like the coach or GM from that run

The trade deadline is the perfect example of this management group: Buy? or Sell? . Straighforward right? ….there actually is no other option unless you are convinced your squad is sufficiently strong to make it without changes. So what does Oiler management do: NEITHER!! They add a true bit player 6-8 weeks too late and neither buy nor sell. Healthy scratch Jones in 2 games since TD, should have healthy scratched Whitney and healthy scratched Peckham for 10+ games. Move none of them.

Express surprise when we fall short

You can’t even make this shit up. Ten hard questions of Tambellini or Lowe at a press conderence and their heads would explode

127. FPB94 says:

Ducey,

I don’t know. It just seems that some guys with impressive stats (40 goals mostly with 40 assists)) and size (6”’1+ ) are being trumped by a 38-23 guy who’s 6”0.

128. BlacqueJacque says:

Bag of Pucks,

It’s junior. In an NHL town that’s stretched to the limit supporting the NHL team.

129. Rebilled says:

What I’m surprised about is that a lot of you are surprised.

4 year NK deal = 4 year rebuild. That’s just my assumption but I think they’ve always planned to add players this summer. Oil Change implies some sort of ‘change’ right?

If they leave everything as is this summer then we’re in big trouble.

I could seeing them trading the 2013 pick with a package of players. I wonder if Calgary will go after Valeri Nichushkin seeing how their goalie is retiring.

The shit winds are blowing. We won’t be drafting #1 this year…

130. BlacqueJacque says:

Rebilled,

After the Oilers publicly stated that they have a “5 year plan” (like Stalin? Or Mao?), and year 3 was “playoffs” or at least “playoff run”, and I’ve already fucking given them 2010-2011 for free (even though 2009-2010 should have been the first year of the rebuild)…. I don’t care how long you sign Khabi for.

131. MrSmitty says:

I got my 50 bucks waiting for an ad.

132. Captain Happy says:

I’m in for $50.

133. Rebilled says:

BlacqueJacque,

I didn’t sign Khabi but the term ‘rebuild’ showed up at the same time he did, did it not?

08-09 season = Magnus 10th(NK signed in off-season)
    9-10 season = Hall 1st
    10-11 = Nuge 1st
    11-12 = Yak 1st
    12-13 ? (end of NK contract)
    13-12 ?

9-10 was the first year of the rebuild no? We came 11th in the West in 08-09. If its 5 years then…

134. Rebilled says:

As for the 3 year playoff thing, that shows you the crazy expectations management has with these young players and the mixed matched surrounding cast.

135. James says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That’s fine… but we’re not talking about a massive amount of money for a single page ad.

You’re right of course, and if that’s where you want to throw your money then enjoy yourself. A couple thoughts:
    -Judas sounds like a pretty fun drinking partner
    -the cynicism and negativity that surfaces this time of year in these parts is sadly inevitable and wearing
    -Bookje is right, again
    -I’d love it if our (Lowetide) community protest dollars were re-allocated ticket funds spent on social programs that needed it, (there’s your social media campaign)–not lecturing billion/millionaires that will ignore you, or at best, belittle you
    -to reiterate, I love this place. I’ve come daily for the past five years–even checking in on my honeymoon (oops!)–to visit the community. I’m inspired and enlightened constantly. I thank you all, sincerely. I see another season wearing good people down, and it’s a shame. I may have to take a break as the negativity reigns supreme once again. There are projects and people that deserve my time.
    -Sorry for responding on a dead thread. See you next year?

136. Ivan says:

Not sure if any discussion has been generated about this yet, but what are the rules about sending players down to OKC to gear up for actual, you know, playoffs. I’d have to think that giving the kids who started the season down there could learn a lot from a playoff run, and it’s not like they’d have other stuff to do. Anyone aware of the restrictions around sending players down after the Oiler Death March, (TM) ?