OILER SIGN GERNAT!

News just across the Al Gore, Martin Gernat has signed with the Edmonton Oilers. Great job, young man–and great job Oilers. The story is here and the scouting staff deserves applause for finding him in the 5th round.

72 Responses to "OILER SIGN GERNAT!"

1. gcw_rocks says:

Yes! Finally!

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just watched the video on the oilers site with the wife.

she says:

“ha! he looks like a hipster”

then I tell her he’s 6’5″ and 191:

“so, he’s skinny and tall too? definitely a hipster”

she likes him.

at any rate, I’m ecstatic about this.

After Klefbom, one or even two of Marincin, Gernat, Simspon, Musil has got to make it!

3. RickDeckard says:

They said they had him in their top 35 remember. Good job by the scouts to find him, better job by that idiot formerly in charge to know when to draft him.

4. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

In the picture above he looks excited about something (a goal, I assume). Being emotionally invested in anything but “ironic” facial hair would get him kicked out of the hipster club.

5. leadfarmer says:

Still wondering what took so long. Yet another player/prospect who needs to spend the summer eating meals with assistant coach of gaining weight Peckham. Just rent a bus and go on a tour of all you can eat restaurants in the Midwest or downsouth. They all would come to camp 30 lbs heavier, RNH at least 4 lbs heavier.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

In the picture above he looks excited about something (a goal, I assume).Being emotionally invested in anything but “ironic” facial hair would get him kicked out of the hipster club.

Clearly he’s too excited. Shouldn’t he be complaining about the Coachella lineup or something?

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

leadfarmer:
    Still wondering what took so long.Yet another player/prospect who needs to spend the summer eating meals with assistant coach of gaining weight Peckham.Just rent a bus and go on a tour of all you can eat restaurants in the Midwest or downsouth.They all would come to camp 30 lbs heavier,RNH at least 4 lbs heavier.

I think he goes home for the off-season.

I’m guessing Slovak moms are adept at feeding people. They should get Frank Musil to send Gernat home with a note to his mom encouraging extra helpings of Goulash. I’m sure she’d love it.

8. tcho says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

It’s the dumplings that really tip the scales.

Great news.

9. Hammers says:

Now Bigos . Took them long enough. He will play in NHL

10. Spartacus says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Wait, let me get this straight;

Your wife LIKES hipsters?

Curiouser and curiouser…

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Spartacus:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Wait, let me get this straight;

Your wife LIKES hipsters?

Curiouser and curiouser…

sorry to derail thread.

hipsters, no. the aesthetic, yes. on occasion.

humans. full of contradictions.

(besides he’s an oiler and a “cute kid” as she’d say, regardless of the cardigan).

Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

13. Bank Shot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think it was the combo of haircut, skinny tie, cardigan and partial beard that did it.

He’s just European. The hipster look is their “T-shirt and jeans”.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

You know those warnings on the Viagara ads: “contact a doctor if you have an erection for more than 4 hours”

Well, Lucic hit Miller on Nov. 12, 2011.

One year and 5+ months is a long time to have an erection.

15. asiaoil says:

Woodguy:
    Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

16. RickDeckard says:

Woodguy,

Maybe he gets bought out and the oilers sign him for cheap

17. RickDeckard says:

asiaoil,

You did not just put Simpson in the same group as tuebert or plante

18. fifthcartel says:

Gernat is gonna be good.

asiaoil: True but I’d send Hemsky, the ANA #2 and one of our 2nd tier dmen prospects down the road (Simpson, Teubert, Plante).

Problem is that Chiarelli is going to get a pile more for him.

Oilers aren’t the only team with a Lucic fetish.

You look at their cap situation and next year their team’s highest paid forward will be their 6th leading scorer who plays 2LW.

I think Chiarelli is smart enough to recognize his mistake on that contract and also smart enough to know he can get a pile in return.

I fear Yak for Lucic like the plague.

Lucic is fine for what he is, a 2LW with size.

2LW with a career .25g/gm and 0.59pts/gm is not a $6MM/yr player.

RickDeckard:
    Woodguy,

Maybe he gets bought out and the oilers sign him for cheap

No way he gets bought out.

The lineup would be 10 teams deep if he’s available for trade.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I fear Yak for Lucic like the plague.

Gregor pitched that yesterday.

Not sure if it is better or worse than his Yak for Clarkson idea.

the hard on for bi-ceps continues.

22. PDO says:

Was at the Oil Kings game last night and couldn’t believe this guy wasn’t signed. He can skate, he’s huge, and he has great offensive instincts. Leave him in the AHL for a year or two to keep adding to that frame and his defensive coverage, but he has all the tools to be a dynamic player for a long time.

I noticed Musil in a bad way – he’s slow. Very slow. Reinhardt had a very rough game too, couldn’t do a damn thing with the puck and clearly had guys under his skin.

Yakupov for Lucic would be stupid, and only slightly better than the Yakupov for Couturier bit that was going around on Gregor’s show before (believe it was Meg Storms who thought that was brilliant).

Simply put, if you trade Yakupov, you’re going to lose that trade. For all the “you have to give up something to get something!” brigade, what the Oiler’s can give up that are in high demand are cap space and assets. They don’t need to trade Yakupov or Eberle or even Paajarvi to bring back quality when you’re sitting on $20,000,000 of cap space for next year.

Lastly… I wanted to say that Mitch Moroz was fantastic last night. He was all over the ice, he showed some nice skill a few times with the puck, he was physical… and he was a super pest. It was like watching Burrows on steroids. He had the entire Hitmen bench rattled, and when the penalty brigade began it was because Moroz took a huge swing at a guy (that connected) while laying on his back before instantly flipping over and going into a full turtle. The guy on top of course lost his crap and from there it was a 5 on 3 parade where Gernat took over.

I’m not saying he’s an NHL player or a value pick at 32 or anything like that – but I can certainly see what it is about him that got scouts so hot and heavy.

23. Oilanderp says:

He told reporters that Smid teases him about how thin he is. Smiling, he responds,

“Like I said, I have to put some meat and that will be the first thing what I have to do back home now.”

Yes Marty, put some meat.

*stares at the ground in awkward silence*

*cough* Great signing though!

24. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

If they think they can get Lucic, they spend whatever Boston asks to get him, even if its Yakupov Future overpay coming…

25. TheOtherJohn says:

Asia

After getting scratched for a must win AHL game in drive for playoffs, Tuebert is nort a 2nd tier prospect D, he’s better skating Alex Plante

26. TheOtherJohn says:

Any trade that sends YAK for Lucic is a trade you lose. I am a huge proponent of getting bigger on the top 2 line (***No Coke machines*** need apply) but YAK has the potential to be an elite NHL scorer. Like 40-50 goals. He can’t spell the word “defense” little alone play it but he is actually in the D zone trying to figure out who he should be picking up. I expect in 2 years he will be a decent defender.

Do not want to trade any of the top 5 kids but YAK would be the 2nd last guy I trade off this roster. Yak even up for OEL? sure but Phx would not do that deal. But thats the kinds deal I would need a very very good young player on decent contract or the Oilers should keep the YAKovian one

27. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Woodguy: 2LW with a career .25g/gm and 0.59pts/gm is not a $6MM/yr player.

Think he’s worth less than Hemsky?

28. FastOil says:

If GM’s were smart they’d leave Chiarelli with that roster killing contract. My bet is Talon steps up and unloads a bunch of young talent.

29. WeridAl says:

About time, LT was sounding like a old woman on the subject.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:
    Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

Buy low?

31. LMHF#1 says:

Gernat is even more interesting for me as a prospect because if he can’t make it as a dman, he has all the tools to be a successful bottom 6ish forward who can play the point on the powerplay. So skilled.

32. jimbones100 says:

What a great video. Nice to see a young man who is committed to playing in the NHL but also very respectful of his parents and proud of his native country. Shame on the Oilers if they frown on him returning home in the off season. Each individual is different and the Oilers need to do everything they can to encourage him to keep that connection to his roots because it is obviously very important to Martin.

And I love the connection he has with Laddy. Wouldn’t that be wonderful to see Laddy break him into the NHL in 2014 or 2015. Laddy could use a D Partner that can skate and move the puck.

I will be cheering for and following Martin closely going forward.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Gregor is just trolling for attention at this point in the season. Don’t worry about it. Ratings are abysmal because the Oilers are showing us no reason to care any more.

Outshot 34-24 by the last-place team in the conference last night.

34. Captain Obvious says:

There isn’t anyone on the planet who is stupid enough to trade Yakupov for Lucic. That will never happen. It’s impossible to make even a bad argument in favour of the Lucic side of the equation. It’s never going to happen.

35. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I would never trade Yak for him (Lucic) but some of our perimiter players will not be here next year….

36. Jordan says:

Captain Obvious:
    There isn’t anyone on the planet who is stupid enough to trade Yakupov for Lucic.That will never happen.It’s impossible to make even a bad argument in favour of the Lucic side of the equation.It’s never going to happen.

*cough* Jason Gregor *cough*

37. leadfarmer says:

Ahh, the mythical Lucic. Not even Milan Lucic is a “Lucic” type player.

38. jfry says:

I’m going to the Tuesday and Wednesday games at the dome if anyone wants to have an LT meet up

39. Ducey says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Gregor is just trolling for attention at this point in the season.Don’t worry about it.Ratings are abysmal because the Oilers are showing us no reason to care any more.

Outshot 34-24 by the last-place team in the conference last night.

40. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey: I think Gregor means it, but last time I checked he wasn’t in charge of the Oilers.He does a decent interview. He should stick to that and stop trying to portray himself as an expert in hockey.

As opposed to all of us that post here?

41. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

Has any organization in the NHL today made more references to needing a lucic-type player than the Oilers?

42. jonrmcleod says:

No team has scored fewer goals that the Panthers. No team has given up more goals than the Panthers. I wonder if DSF is still calling Dale Tallon a genius?

43. jfry says:

Is miller going to dress in okc at all this year?

44. FPB94 says:

Lucic isn’t half bad: If you can get him for a low price it’s nice.

But you can’t expect him to be anything but a 3rd wheel on a line. He’s never going to create anything for himself so you need skilled men around him (Oilers do have).

So if he’s available for not much it would be a good pickup, but he’s an easy to overpay guy because the media always make it look like he contributes more than he actually does.

45. PDO says:

Lucic would be a great option to play with 93 and 14. Would be the perfect fit there.

That said, he’s way overpaid, and any deal for him should factor that heavily into the return.

4, 93, 64, 14, 91, 89, 2, 19, Klefbom, the 1st are all 100% off the table. Letting Boston out of that contract is a favour. If they want to add 83 to help their PP that’s fine and maybe the Oiler’s even offer to hold some of 83′s salary. But if they want real significant pieces? That’s insane.

46. FastOil says:

leadfarmer:
    Ahh, the mythical Lucic.Not even Milan Lucic is a “Lucic” type player.

Too true – tweet MacT ASAP

47. Ryan says:

Depends what you mean by good asset… Outside of Hall, Nuge, Yakupov,and Schultz, I wouldn’t hang up if Chiarelli called.

Last season, BTN tells us that Lucic had a good zone push ~55% ozone against 4rth hardest QOC on his team by any of BTN measures.

He had a 5v5 / 60 of 3.38 which is 2nd only to Eberle (3.63 with 18.9 S%)

His numbers weren’t inflated by PDO either (PDO: 997) but somewhat by S% ( S%=17.4 but career 14.9)

For those who like shooting %, he’s 9% this year which is -5.9% his career average.

Woodguy:
    Lucic a healthy scratch today.

God I hope the Oilers don’t spend a good asset on this guy.

48. FastOil says:

There are a lot of big LW who can score .25 PPG. Way cheaper too. Fixation on one player can be very expensive and not worth it unless you’re talking Toews or Kopitar or such. Fixate on the type of player and find the best deal.

Not many players stay at the top of their game, or the game, year in and out. MacT take note when you’re handing out contracts. The team is possibly already carrying one overvalued long term contract in Eberle when they bought what may be a career year. He’s great but may be hard pressed to produce enough to earn it – what if Yak takes his current spot with Hall?

49. jfry says:

jfry:
    Is miller going to dress in okc at all this year?

Miller will not report to the Oilers or Oklahoma City Barons this season. The Bloomfield Hills, Mich. product has invested four years in his post-secondary education, studying political science, and must be present at Yale in order to graduate.

“It’s not possible for me to leave and still graduate,” he laughed.

From oilers site

50. Ducey says:

Big game tonight in the dive for 5. PHI plays CAR. Hopefully its a three point game.

51. Ryan says:

FastOil,

Now, I’m not a hockey fight type of guy. On that note, I don’t watch Eastern Conference teams, so I really don’t personally have a seen him good / bad feel for Lucic outside of the numbers as an actual hockey player.

Even still, it is curious how Lucic is deployed. Why on earth would Boston want their $6 m 2nd LW punching in 4rth liners like Sestito?

In terms of deterrents, I’m in the opposite of whatever a MacIntyre type camp… Yet, I have watched the Oilers for years now.

We all remember the Doughty hit on Hall or Handzus sending Hemsky for shoulder surgery or Carcillo running Petry or Doan’s hit on Horcoff…. Cluttberbuck’s late hits on pretty much anyone…

Fair question, if you had a guy as feared as Lucic in your top six, would this still happen? Note, this is for those who actually watch Boston play, not a rhetorical question.

thebiggestmanintheworld: Think he’s worth less than Hemsky?

Hemsky is only signed for one more year.

Lucic is 4 years at $6MM and I have no clue if he scores over 25 goals again.

Certainly can’t count on it.

53. PDO says:

Woodguy: 6MM

He would year in and year out if his linemates were 93 and 14.

54. Ducey says:

Ryan,

With Lucic out today, Horton and his glass head got into a fight with Iginla and did not return. He played 5:18 total.

It looks to be his second major of the year. He has had a ton of concussions in the last few years.

Maybe if Lucic is out there, Horton doesn’t feel like he needs to scrap? Maybe Lucic intervenes?

Who knows.

PDO: He would year in and year out if his linemates were 93 and 14.

But Magnus has finally figured out where the blue paint is, and how an NHL winger has to cut the middle and drive the net, without the puck. And he is going to be a superior defensive player, and is a skilled paaser and puck transporter.

So if Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are going to face tough opposition, an emerging Paajarvi is likely a better cheaper option than Lucic (if Hall is going to make another line with Yak).

MacT said it in his press conference. More good players. Lucic and his contract means fewere good players.

56. PDO says:

godot10: And at $6 million, there is absolutely no value-for-money in Lucic. And in a cap system, contending is really about having more value-for-money contracts than the other teams.

Totally agree, just being devils advocate. I don’t think Lucic is a terrible hockey player and I think he would be a nice fit in a lot of ways but that contract is just a killer.

57. BG14 says:

I don’t think Lucic is worth selling the farm for, and certainly any deal involving one 4, 14, 19, 64 or 93 would be a loss from day one. But I think the constant fear of overpayment for size is causing some to underrate Lucic on here. I think that a Lucic-93-14 line would be absolutely killer. He’s the exact player those two need, big body, good hands and can finish.

As Ryan pointed out, his S% is down significantly this year, and this is an excellent opportunity to buy low. I’d be weary of dealing 91 for him, but straight across you have to at least consider it. If that’s an option management should sit down and look at whether or not that deal can fit in on the club for the next 4 years or not. I’d be aiming for something surrounding Mr Gagner though. I really like him, but he struggles defensively and is coming off of a career year. Sell high. Gagner, one of the second tier D prospects (ie not Klefbom) plus a second if you have to? No idea if Boston bites, but I’d pull the trigger. Then you find a 2C somewhere else, move Hemsky, sign one (Weiss?), move 15 (but you better replace him real NHL defenseman), but it should not be a difficult task for a competent manager (which I certainly hope/think MacT is). Gagner also played with Marchand in that junior super series eons ago as well, perhaps the B’s think that might be an effective combination moving forward?

People are always clamouring for management to buy low and sell high, and I see an excellent opportunity for them to do just that with a deal surrounding 89 for Lucic.

4-Weiss (or equivalent)-64
    Lucic-93-14
    91-10-56
    94-57/20-13/28//23(??)/hopefully a better depth FA

Depending on the centre we get to replace Gagner (big caveat, I know), I’d say that’s a better looking lineup than we iced this year.

Buy low.

Sell high.

58. Ribs says:

For giggles…

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Lucic-Yakupov
    Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Smithson-Hartikainen-Brown

Tada! All it costs is this years first and a conditional 1st/2nd for Lucic!

I don’t suppose MacT would go for round 2 of Penner, though. It would be a bold move!

Still haven’t figured out how they’d get a top pairing d-man. Maybe they can wrangle Robidas free from Dallas for prospect/picks.

Smid-Petry
    Robidas-J.Schultz
    N.Schultz-Potter
    Fistric, Klefbom

A little bit better, anyway. If you can replace Potter with a better player, do it.

Hmm…

59. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Woodguy,

Seems like a wild goose chase to me.

Although, he would look good beside 93-14……

60. RickDeckard says:

Ribs,

Do you realize how far over the cap you are? Also, where did Paajarvi go?

61. slopitch says:

Looks like the Islanders are gonna make the playoffs this year. They are proof what an active GM can do. 5 of 9 players on their top 9 were on waivers in the past 18 months. They have a solid set of d-men. And they will make the playoffs despite having almost 10 million wasted on non-roster goalies and a payroll below the cap.

I thought the Oilers could have made the playoffs with 4 moves that improved the team (since September). Tambellini made zero. No wonder he got fired.

62. Ryan says:

Ducey,

Well, I think it’s important to acknowledge that the concept of deterrent has been given a terribly bad ‘rap’ around these parts courtesy of players like MacIntyre.

Obviously, players of that ilk are not effective deterrents because they can’t skate, hit, or put the puck in the net. Also, no one outside of their weight class was willing to fight them. I can remember a few ozone starts with MacIntyre on the ice where the put ended up in the back of our net in six or seven seconds flat. One game against San Jose is somewhere in my clouded memory…

That being said, you’d have to think having a player like Lucic on your roster would given the other team’s players something to think about.

63. Matt.N says:

From Guy Fleming twitter today

@TPS_Guy: Musil on the other hand, I see him an awful lot like Alex Plante but less physical, not as big of a shot and maybe even slower. @TPSDean

A less physical and slower Plante? Jesus Christ that’s a bad scouting report.

64. BlacqueJacque says:

I fucking hate this quite literally Gos-damned city. A snow squall on April 20th?

65. BlacqueJacque says:

Matt.N,

As long as he’s smarter. Plante isn’t exactly the most aware player.

Fistric moves with the speed of a glacier but is relatively effective due to positioning.

66. PDO says:

Musil looked terrible last night in person. Terrible. To think Saad was falling and they let him go…

67. spoiler says:

Nice signing and a relief. We stand a real chance of having a defenceman develop out of the 2nd tier.

As for a #1 overall like Yak for Lucic… insane. No way that deal should happen. If its Yak and Marincin for Lucic and Hamilton, I might listen a little longer.

68. Ribs says:

RickDeckard:
    Ribs,

Do you realize how far over the cap you are? Also, where did Paajarvi go?

Damn cap always getting in the way, hah. I knew I’d forget what I was doing if I left the computer and came back to it. I had traded Paajarvi but I forget what for. I guess in my scenario I would have to trade Hemsky for space as well, but I can’t bring myself to do it, even in pretend land. Maybe the two of them get you a younger (cheaper) guy that you can slot into Hemsky’s spot.

Fake GM’ing is hard, hah. *fires self*

69. vishcosity says:

If Lucic is making 6M and Hemsky 5, is a 1 for 1 out of bounds? I guess Boston is pretty long on RW with Seguin Horton and Jagr in the mix, so maybe that won’t fly. And I’m not sure that Gagner slots in front of Krejci, Kelly or even Peverley for that matter.

I don’t see how Boston would want anyone from the Oil besides any of the wonderkids.

Happy about Gernat, and what the posts of Moroz contain. Maybe the whole develop from within really does have some semblance of a chance. I’m not after a flash in the pan one or two year run for the cup thing. Rather, I’d prefer this whole five year debacle put the Oil into a class with the Detroits and Nashvilles regarding player development. Slow and generally steady.

70. dangilitis says:

I don’t think that everyone gets that Lucic is way overpaid. I have faith that MacT’s MBA will have taught him that you can’t pay a 2nd line winger (at best) 1st line money.
    Even if Lucic was traded for Hemsky, this is what it would look like

RNH-Hall-Eberle will eventually cost 18 million
    Gagn-Yak-Lucic will cost 16 million
    Horcoff-Hartikainnen-MPS will cost 6 million if Horcoff re-signed at an appropriate price (although at present, this is a 10 million 3rd line)
    Lander-decent 4th liner – decent 4th liner will cost 3-4 million
    This means a 44 million forward corps.

What is cap? 64 million? So that leaves 20 million for 6 defensemen and 2 goalies? Ain’t gonna happen, unless we want to still have shitty defense.

I say go after Clowe – he looks like he needed a change of venue, and even as a UFA will command far less than Lucic.

Also, Morrow has been great in Pittsburgh (I know its a small sample size). What if we signed him for 3 million, and then could cut Horcoff loose?

71. BG14 says:

dangilitis,

It’s a little bit misleading to post future cap estimates and compare them to the cap next year. When Nuge and Yak are each making 6 and Hartikainen is getting paid moderate dollars the cap is not going to be 64.3 million anymore.

VandeVelde (Green, Cornet)

OKC is in the playoffs, big win tonight.