OILERS AT AVALANCHE G43 (12-13) 19.4.13

As the season winds down, there are “points of interest” to track–things like Taylor Hall’s point total and the Oilers slot in the draft. There are also players to evaluate–Hartikainen could use a nice run here–and finally there’s the draft rankings to ponder.

scoring leaders

Hall is 16th in total points, and has played 4 or 5 fewer games than many others on the list. I’ve been reading a lot about Tavares “breakout season” but it’s interesting to see Hall trailing by two points (in 5 fewer games). The kid is dynamite. He is 10th in 5×5/60 at 2.93, miles ahead of his closest Oiler teammate:

1. Hall 2.93
  2. Yakupov 1.95
  3. Gagner 1.94
  4. Eberle 1.78
  5. Jones 1.52
  6. Horcoff 1.46
  7. Hemsky 1.40
  8. Petrell 1.36
  9. Nugent-Hopkins 1.22
  10. Paajarvi 1.20

How in hell is Hall that far ahead of his linemates? That’s kind of incredible.

cardinale

There may be some movement at the top of the draft:

ross1

If I’m reading Ross correctly, this should be the current McKenzie order:

1. Seth Jones
  2. Nathan MacKinnon
  3. Jonathan Drouin
  4. Valeri Nicushkin
  5. Sasha Barkov
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Sean Monahan

I don’t think the Russian goes that high (there are the usual Russian contract rumblings) but if Edmonton has a shot at Monahan at 7 (that’s their current number) we’d have to consider that a very good thing. The Finn and the Swede are pretty damn good too–in fact, if someone takes the Russian and Edmonton drafts 7th, the results will be outstanding.

If he plays tonight, Teemu Hartikainen will reach the 50 game mark in the NHL. That’s my line in the sand for a graduating rookie (although I’m going to take Yakupov and Schultz off the prospects list–they’ve graduated), and as it turns out the club will have to risk waivers if they want to send Harski out in the fall.

I have never really been able to see why Paajarvi and Hartikainen weren’t in the top 12 (this goes back at least a season) but if I’m ranking them based on signed contracts (and rfa status) it might look like this:

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Jordan Eberle
  4. Nail Yakupov
  5. Sam Gagner
  6. Ales Hemsky
  7. Shawn Horcoff
  8. Magnus Paajarvi
  9. Ryan Smyth
  10. Teemu Hartikainen
  11. Anton Lander
  12. Eric Belanger
  13. Mike Brown
  14. Ben Eager

Your mileage may vary, but I think it’s fairly safe to put the Finn inside the top 10. If he plays 4line minutes next season, with some shifts  inside the top 9, I’d say he should be able to deliver at a high enough level to stay in the lineup. He might end up doing better, but it seems reasonable to me to say the following: Hartikainen has proven enough to be on the NHL roster this fall.

148 Responses to "OILERS AT AVALANCHE G43 (12-13) 19.4.13"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT,

that first paragraph is a touch repetitive.

On the draft front, I think it’s going to have to be Barkov. With Petrell — as terrible as he is — looking like he won’t dress another Oiler game, our Finnish compliment is going to be very low and place a huge burden on Hartikainen.

I don’t see how we can be competitive with our Finnish stocks so depleted.

2. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Have to say I’m crying out for Barkov. To produce like he has in the Finnish league at 17 AND be considered to have good two-way potential is nothing short of phenomenal. I would do anything I could, within reason, to trade up for a chance to get him. Can’t see him falling below 4 though to be honest. Monahan would be a great consolation prize.

3. Smarmy says:

If the Oilers can gas this one I’m fully of the believe they can run the table.

Might even get to Mackinnon.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    LT,

that first paragraph is a touch repetitive.

sorry, I can’t edit that out now, and it just looks dickish, but… the paragraph reads a lot better now!

It’s always interesting to see the draft rankings wander. Remember when de la Rose was in the top 10?

5. Beaker says:

Shirts off for Barkov?

p.s. Hall is a beast.

6. hunter1909 says:

Finally, the Oilers real season has arrived:

Lose tonight then face a seriously interesting Ducks team who have every reason to assist them in their perennial drive for five(1st overall picks).

Then the lottery. Feels good to be an Oiler fan right now.

7. Genjutsu says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Don’t forget the half breed PRV!

8. sliderule says:

It looks like we will stay at seventh if we don’t win more than two of our remaining games.

The teams behind us other than Tampa have tough schedules and won’t catch us.

Coyotes have a very tough schedule and I can see us passing them if we win three.

Lindholm has more points than any forward from SEL for quite a few years.They have scouted him extensively so they should know what they are getting.

9. cabbiesmacker says:

Oilers play tonight?

(Yawn)

Hurry up and finish the tank job boys. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Moooveee along

What a shitty hockey team.

10. Beaker says:

I dont see how they dont do everything in our power to get into the top 5 and try and get Barkov. If we’re drafting 7th does the 7th + a second rounder get us to 4th or 5th?

11. FrankenOil says:

My hope is for a 5-3 loss with Hall marching on in his quest to get league-wide recognition and hopefully Yak City scoring a goal or 2 as well. The loss, with CGY and NSH wins would push us to 5th! If they are going to miss the playoffs, may as well do it with gusto!

12. leadfarmer says:

sliderule,

Win three? This is the only game left we have a chance of winning. We lose this game we might finish the season on a 11 game skid. Dont see us beating Anaheim or minnesota in St. Paul. Chicago, small chance as we normally play them well but not the way this team has been playing. Im guessing we pick 5th. Yeay tanking.

13. Clay says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the NHL.

14. danny says:

I just want to repeat someone elses suggestion commented in a previous post (sorry forget who)…

Let’s test Taylor Hall at C for the final games. It’s a win-win situation. It helps the tank most likely, it helps MacT and Kreuger evaluate the possibility for next season… it’s a great idea.

I can’t imagine the new GM would be so short sighted as to do a lockeroom visit to inspire a strong finish to the season. “lets win the rest of our games boys and have some momentum for next season!”

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

The time for winning has passed us by… so has the time for feel good stories. Let’s do what’s best for the future. Put 4 at C, see what we have there, and let’s move up the draft rankings. Let’s give Eberle a pre-emptive shoulder surgery or something. Maybe we conveniently forget to show Dubnyk any tape on how to ‘not kick rebounds into the slot’?

One final theory, remember when Patrick Roy couldn’t hear Roenick because of his rings in his ears? Lowe has 6. Enough for all major orifices.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Genjutsu:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Don’t forget the half breed PRV!

Doesn’t count. Pure blood only.
    ;)

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

danny: Let’s test Taylor Hall at C for the final games.

I think it’s a great idea, but I think the stumbling block might be Hall. He’s spoken about not wanting to switch without TC IIRC.

I’m guessing he doesn’t want to be embarrassed. Remember him trying to play goalie last year when Renney pulled the Goalie?

17. pboy says:

You sir, disgust me. Your lack of couth leads me to believe that you must not be a season ticket holder. 2nd tier fan at best!

18. Doug McLachlan says:

Clay: The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the NHL.Not surprised at all that Nichushkin is moving up. The kid is Rick Nash with a cool accent.

I’m reading stuff on this kid that suggests if the birth certificate said Moose Jaw he’d be competing with Jones for #1. Stu should talk with Yak, as they played on the WJC team and get his take on this guy. Remember how Hall praised Landeskog in his draft year (no complaints with RNH but no sign that Landeskog is a dud) if Yak City is giving the same thumbs up to Nichuskin…

19. jake70 says:

Smarmy:
    If the Oilers can gas this one I’m fully of the believe they can run the table.

Might even get to Mackinnon.

I commented (out of concern) prior to last game they might get “bump” and win a few games after GM switch, jeopardizing draft position…..they come out and let in 5 that game………we should be “fine”. Hey no shame in Oil Country, let’s go all the way and win the 1st overall….lol. I think Tambellini resigned because he couldn’t face the nation on the draft lottery show again, despite him almost certainly winning it. ;-)

20. slopitch says:

I don’t see the Oilers tanking the last 6 games. They need some progress for next year. I agreed in that I can see Nichushkin slipping to our pick where it currently stands due to the Russian factor. Not sure the Oilers can afford to use another top pick on a winger though.

What if the bold move is our first, 2nd and 2nd for the 1st overall? Adding Jones would be a game changer. I’m a firm believer that long term success is built from the back-end out. Teams like TBL and Carolina cant compete with a good top 6 and a porous D . Philly, Detroit and Nashville all took major steps back recently due to losses on the back-end.

21. bookje says:

Wait, What? The Oilers are still playing hockey? I kind of forgot about that.

Bah, let’s face it, the high draft pick is the best thing for this team. What needs to happen now is the Oilers need to make use of the ‘Oilers rule’ to win the first overall pick this year. That would be gold.

22. hunter1909 says:

Oiler fans hold contradictory thoughts simultaneously. Optimism during TC, followed by despair before springtime, then hope during the annual panzer exercise, in turn followed by joy at winning the lottery.

Just checked the schedule. Lose tonight, and this team has a real shot at picking 2nd.

Flames on the other hand are soaring upwards, and could finish out of the top ten. Idiots.

23. Beaker says:

As much as i want a really high pick the thought of finishing below CGY this year makes me want to vomit.

24. Hockeyman 99 says:

This Draft sounds a lot like Jagr’s draft year.

25. Hockeyman 99 says:

He should have been first minus the whole not playing in NA like Nedved.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker:

You mean jump with joy?

The idea of Calgary fucking up the tank job is absolutely hilarious.

27. Hockeyman 99 says:

I Would use our First next Year plus This years Seconds to get another top 10 this year or a Weber type player with another sweetener if needed.

28. Hockeyman 99 says:

I am Cheering for Calgary too finish 9th

29. VanOil says:

LT. I too heard, watching various games last night and in Lebrun’s post game article, rave reviews of Tavares. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9188655/john-tavares-makes-case-hart-trophy-dazzling-hometown-display

Trying to set aside the Easter media bias, and the ‘it only counts if he can do it against the amazing leafs’, angle. Tavares is a very good hockey player. That the younger Hall is already his equal is amazing news.

If you follow this as typical progression of successful 1st over all picks we are in for the following treats;

1) Hall to be a Hart trophy nominee next year give or take some eastern media bias.

2) The following year Nuge with two good shoulders and a little bit of man strength, schools the big bad Leafs in TO and is discovered by the the Hockey press as the next Datsyuk. And he still won’t be 22 yet.

3) The year after Yakupov wins the Heart. As a Russian he will never qualify for the other voted for awards. It does not matter EA puts him on the cover of the Video games anyways. 50 goals has that kind of effect.

How that for some RE? I am a fan and want to be rewarded for my suffering, the above and a couple Cups will help.

30. uni says:

I’d be happy if the Oilers got Lindholm. He’s not as big as Barkov, but he’s put up very good numbers in an arguably tougher league and isn’t exactly a midget at 6′.

Should be there at 7.

31. ashley says:

Unless we’re top 5 in the draft (unlikely), I can see MacT trading this pick. It would be a good move. I know the all of us draft nuts here would be disappointed, but we would be able to get a good young centre to play behind RNH by trading this draft pick who would be more closely clustered with our core. I’m thinking something like Johansen in CBUS.

As theotherjohn often reminds us, time is short. We don’t need to draft a new two year project right now. We need a player.

I know it’s fun to fawn over all the shiny new things, but I would give it up for a bold move for a young ELC centrer.

Then we could trade Gagner for a 3 million dollar Dman with relative impunity.

32. HBomb says:

Oilers vs. Avalanche on TV?

Screw that.

Oil Kings vs. Hitmen, WHL Eastern Conference Final, game 2, live at Rexall?

Yes please.

33. Doug McLachlan says:

ashley,

This is not bold, this is foolishness.

Top 10 picks are not just bullets for Stu, they are silver bullets. IF we are going to try and do the huge rebuild to be relevant not only during the Hall window but beyond we need to keep stocking up the shelves for the hopefully long, lean years where our draft picks are in the 25-30th range.

It sucks that we blew a tire and are going to stink out the joint over these last few weeks. The thought of being passed by Calgary is a very, very bitter pill to swallow but we are in this now – don’t flinch. We take our medicine, again, and we make the moves that need to be made after we have the pick made. Now is not the time to make a Kessel-type trade and while you would never descrive it as such that is exactly what it is.

Keep the assembly line moving. Better days are coming.

34. LMHF#1 says:

If you trade the pick, you trade the pick + a good player for a decidedly better one. Like the deal the Canucks *spits* made for Alexander Mogilny.

35. denny33 says:

Beaker,

Great idea – I was thinking along the same lines…wonder how much it would take to move up just a few slots.

I am on record has offering up more and getting Seth Jones…..

Consolation would be to move up and select Barkov…

Of course, we may get lucky in the lottery!!

36. Genjutsu says:

If we can sneak into third I can see it going:

1 Florida – Jones

2 Colorado – Drouin

3 Edmonton – MacKinnon

How sweet would that be?

37. jake70 says:

Doug McLachlan:
    ashley,

This is not bold, this is foolishness.

Top 10 picks are not just bullets for Stu, they are silver bullets.IF we are going to try and do the huge rebuild to be relevant not only during the Hall window but beyond we need to keep stocking up the shelves for the hopefully long, lean years where our draft picks are in the 25-30th range.

It sucks that we blew a tire and are going to stink out the joint over these last few weeks.The thought of being passed by Calgary is a very, very bitter pill to swallow but we are in this now – don’t flinch.We take our medicine, again, and we make the moves that need to be made after we have the pick made.Now is not the time to make a Kessel-type trade and while you would never descrive it as such that is exactly what it is.

Keep the assembly line moving.Better days are coming.

Agree with this. If MacT does trade the pick, by itself or as part of a package, worst-case scenario is he gets a bit more leverage with each draft position up to #1 overall.

38. Captain Obvious says:

Trading this pick is a bad idea. This looks like the best draft class in years.

I am, however, highly in favour of Sean Couturier. I’d trade almost anything to get him.

39. oilersfan says:

Nicushkin has two more years on his current contract in the KHL so that has many not wanting to draft him and will definitely result in some sort of a slide.

Barkov is considered to be a very similar player to Kopitar and peter Forsberg. a big, skilled center. I can’t imagin the oilers passing on him. I think there is a very good chance the Oilers pick 4th as they will likely only win one more game this season, and that is the one tonight. RNH/Barkov would be like Sakic Forsberg for the next 15 years.

I think it has been said here, Barkov hurt his shoulder around april 1 and is out 5 months which coincided perfectly with sept.1 for training camp. I say tank for Barkov and then if they never use another draft pick for 5 years I am fine with trading every one of them over time to fill out the roster with the big LW, the top 4 dman and the backup goalie. everything else should be available in free agency for a reasonable price about 2 weeks after july 1 for bottom pairing dmen and a few bottom six veteran forwards. this summer why not trade the 2014 1st or second to a cap strapped team for a top 6 LW with size or the top 4 dman we need?

I could see Boumeester being available for a second if st. Louis fizzles in the first round. I don’t see how that budget strapped team can afford him and all the rfa’s they have coming up.

40. sliderule says:

This is a very deep draft with the top ten probably in top five most other years.

Lindholm and Monahan would have been top three last year.

The point is you don’t have to pick top five to get a very good player.

If there is a bust it could even in one of the players picked top five.

I want the oil to win two or three and pick seventh.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

ashley:
    Unless we’re top 5 in the draft (unlikely), I can see MacT trading this pick.It would be a good move.I know the all of us draft nuts here would be disappointed,but we would be able to get a good young centre to play behind RNH by trading this draft pick who would be more closely clustered with our core.I’m thinking something like Johansen in CBUS.

So trade a pick that likely adds a solid player that will contribute in 1 – 2 years for a Johansen that might possibly do the same in 5?

I’ve got no big issues with trading the pick but I would if it was for that guy. Beware the Portland Winterhawks top 5 overhype. (Nino Niederreiter.

What’s is unlikely about the Oilers picking top 5?

42. LMHF#1 says:

Captain Obvious:
    Trading this pick is a bad idea.This looks like the best draft class in years.

Not a bad idea if other teams agree with your assessment and value the pick very highly. There are a bunch of established players who would be much better to obtain now than waiting for a pick to develop.

I’m not speaking of second tier players or prospects still very much on the way.

43. Rocknrolla says:

Repost from late last night…This is for LT and any other Scarlett Fans

44. Rocknrolla says:

Just had a brainwave…lets get Petrell and Lowe to take Barkov out on an oilers 80′s style bender.

Once they all get arrested for disturbing the peace down Whyte ave tomorrow night at 3am, Barkov is sure to drop 3 spots so the oil can pick him up….

Shirley it’s probably something Lowe has suggested already no?

45. ashley says:

Doug McLachlan,

46. ashley says:

cabbiesmacker,

Well, maybe Johansen is not the guy. He was just an example. I think we have to keep our minds open.

I think the Oil will win a couple o the remaining 6. That’s why I don’t think we’ll be top 5.

47. cabbiesmacker says:

ashley:
    cabbiesmacker,

Well, maybe Johansen is not the guy.He was just an example.I think we have to keep our minds open.

I think the Oil will win a couple o the remaining 6.That’s why I don’t think we’ll be top 5.

as I say I wouldn’t have huge issues if they did Ashley but it’s pretty rare to see types like Johansen and the above mentioned Couturier moved while still on ELC’s.

I’d rather see them keep the pick based on this years talent pool and try to secure the types you speak of via “existing” players who aren’t pulling their weight or likely to improve team success rates longterm, i.e. Gagner and Hemsky

Harski out and Jones in.

What the fuck?

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 35m
    “It’s important to see what Ryan Jones can do for us.Jerred Smithson is a player we want to get to know better.”Krueger on Smithson/Jones

Really Ralph?

What exactly is Jones going to show you what you don’t already know.

Shitty.

Whitney scratched. Theo back in Edmonton with a “contagious disease” go figure.

Also,

Tyler Dellow is on Oilers Now at 1:05pm today.

Seeing as Bob used to deride Tyler as “that Toronto lawyer” , this is an interesting development.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 1h
    The Oilers blogger with the best handle on advanced stats IMO will join us today on @OilersNow at 1:05 MST

High praise.

Nice to see Bob adding advanced stats to his show.

Also,

I think if the Oilers can grab a big C, so Barkov (obv), Nicushkin (might be afraid a bit, but he could be the best in the draft), or Monahan then they grab a big C.

If the big C’s are gone, they may trade the pick if they can get a 23-25 year old who can step in now as a part of the package.

Av’s best D is out in Johnson and another starter in Wilson.

Should be a track meet.

Hall might get 4-5 points if he’s feeling it.

49. Spydyr says:

Beaker:

Know what makes me want to vomit.Calgary drafting a better player with a higher pick and having that player against us for the next decade.The short term pain is worth the long term gain.

50. jake70 says:

Man, I wonder if the Bruins will have to start playing double-headers.

51. Bar_Qu says:

Spydyr,

Beaker,

The strategic thinker looks at the schedule and realises it is in the Oilers favor for Calgary to lose the majority of its games to “improve” the Oilers draft standing, by providing points to the teams below them (ie Nashville). Who cares where Calgary ends up; the thing is for the Oilers to lose tonight (“must lose game!”) and they have given themselves the best chance of that icing the line-up they have. This puts them in top 5 territory.

I feel dirty just writing that. Ugh.

52. commonfan14 says:

ashley: We won’t (and can’t) trade the pick right this minute

Are we sure this is the case?

I thought I read/saw something last year about how the “trade deadline” is actually kind of a misnomer and that it”s actually just a roster freeze and not a ban on trades.

I’m therefore not sure that we couldn’t, for example, trade our first and two 2nd rounders to Florida for their first right now.

I think teams might also still be able to make minor league deals too.

53. OilLeak says:

I’m not understanding the love for Monahan, he’s an older prospect and his offense has stagnated year over year. I know the Oilers could use a center, but considering where Edmonton will draft, I would take Nichuskin or Barkov if he falls. Nichuskin looks like a blend of Taylor Hall and Paajarvi, the kid is fast. Barkov is a beast putting up huge numbersin SM-Liga(skating a bit of a concern though). Monahan doesn’t appear to be a very dynamic player and could be a potential bust with those numbers.

BPA always.

54. Derek says:

OilLeak:
    I’m not understanding the love for Monahan, he’s an older prospect and his offense has stagnated year over year.I know the Oilers could use a center, but considering where Edmonton will draft, I would take Nichuskin or Barkov if he falls. Nichuskin looks like a blend of Taylor Hall and Paajarvi, the kid is fast.Barkov is a beast putting up huge numbersin SM-Liga(skating a bit of a concern though).Monahan doesn’t appear to be a very dynamic player and could be a potential bust with those numbers.

BPA always.

Monahans numbers have “stagnated” because of the team he plays on.

2011/2012
    Monahan: 33G, 45A for 78 Pts, +25 on a team that was +52 in 62 GP
    His team: 40W-20L-8OTL for 88 PTS, 2nd in the East. 268 GF 216 GA
    (In on 29 percent of his teams total offense)

2012/2013
    Monahan: 31G, 47A for 78 Pts, -18 on a team that was -115 in 58 GP
    His team: 16W-46L-OTL for 38 PTS, (Worst in the OHL) 208 GF 323 GA
    (In on 37 percent of his teams total offense)

Looking a little deeper you can see Monahan took a step forward this year while his team took a leap backwards. This doesn’t account for how much TOI he had per game being the teams only star, or his late birthdate etc, just a different take on his boxcars.

55. denny33 says:

OilLeak,

Neither am I – and having found out his age makes me less inclined on him….

Sean could be a very good player…but he is older than some of rest and I repeat my warning that Mark Scheifle was Owning Sean this year. (only 18 month age differential) Owning him.

This was from the Ottawa media guy….

56. FPB94 says:

Let’s trade for Couturier while the Flyers are still thinking about it.

Sam Gagner and some part of Briere’s salary?

57. FPB94 says:

When I see Karlsson, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson, RGIII, all recovering ahead of time, I can’t help but wonder that either

A: We’ve turned superhuman
    B: HGH were involved

58. OilLeak says:

Derek: Monahans numbers have “stagnated” because of the team he plays on.

2011/2012
    Monahan:33G, 45A for 78 Pts, +25 on a team that was +52 in 62 GP
    His team: 40W-20L-8OTL for 88 PTS, 2nd in the East.268 GF 216 GA
    (In on 29 percent of his teams total offense)

2012/2013
    Monahan: 31G, 47A for 78 Pts, -18 on a team that was -115 in 58 GP
    His team: 16W-46L-OTL for 38 PTS, (Worst in the OHL) 208 GF 323 GA
    (In on 37 percent of his teams total offense)

Looking a little deeper you can see Monahan took a step forward this year while his team took a leap backwards.This doesn’t account for how much TOI he had per game being the teams only star, or his late birthdate etc, just a different take on his boxcars.

Even taking into consideration the quality of team surrounding Monahan this season his production is lacking for a top 5-7 pick. Monahan being a bigger and older prospect than those of his his peer group give him a physical advantage that he will not have going forward in the pro ranks. In reviewing some video Monahan does not possess any Elite skills,(Does have a good snap shot) and I think would be years and years away from contributing to the Edmonton Oilers. Just my two cents.

I really like Nichuskin however, the kid is a 6’4″ speed demon and ice-tilter. Lord knows the Oilers could use a lot more of those type of players.

59. denny33 says:

FPB94,

Hockey Central pointed out that Karlsson did not completely sever his tendon…..still does not diminish his return.

60. ashley says:

Good reading for Lucic-loving-Oilers-fans:

I think the Bruins are a mis-understood team. For all the talk about the toughness that team exhibits, the year they won the Stanley Cup they had historically-good goaltending. They had the best two-way player in hockey in Patrice Bergeron. They had several talented offensive players who weren’t necessarily known for their toughness in Nathan Horton, Brad Marchand, David Krejci and Michael Ryder.

So the mere presence of Shawn Thornton playing 10 minutes a game doesn’t really change that. If not for the “Big Bad Bruins” of the 1970s there may not be an obsession to draw parallels between the 2011 team and those of the past. “

61. denny33 says:

FPB94,

Love the idea….

Carolina Hurricanes fell down a mine shaft – similar problem to Oilers ?

Got this from the Carolina crew…

1st line is lighting it up – E. Staal, Semin etc, ( +6, +11 )

However, 2nd line with J. Staal and Skinner getting KILLED . ..Skinner -19 / J. Staal -17…
    pewee kids are lighting them on family day.

To your point about Couturier – might not be able to score a ton – but if he can slide into the 2nd centre role and stop the goals against – we might roll.

Add Barkov and we are rolling….

Bar_Qu:
    Spydyr,

Beaker,

I feel dirty just writing that. Ugh.

Feaster has already anticipated this:

From: @JohndownCH
    Sent: Apr 19, 2013 2:52p

From what GM Feaster is saying, #Flames will dress upwards of 13 farmhands/prospects in final 4 games. Let’s see who sticks!

63. cabbiesmacker says:

LT? Any chance you could do a Saturday with McKinnon, Spector, and Lowe sitting in? Off site it in a barn for extra entertainment value.

I would love to hear one of them pin Lowe with just two questions that would make the whole show:

“So Kevin, the team down highway 2 is better than YOUR team right now, even after moving their best forward, best defenceman, and possessing goaltending that can’t stop 4 mph beachballs, have a ton of caproom for next season, and sit with 3 first round picks in a deep draft year:”

“Can you deny any of the above are true?”

“How can you profess to having one scintilla of hockey intelligence, or state with a serious face that “the team took big steps this year” with that being the case?

I bet those six rings would liquefy on the spot?

64. Doug McLachlan says:

ashley: Doug McLachlan, Well, I don’t think we’re in a position to be that dogmatic about it. We won’t (and can’t) trade the pick right this minute, so we’ll see where it sorts out. But the questions that need to be asked as the draft approaches, or perhaps on the draft floor should be: Is the player we are going to draft better than Johansen (or Couturier, or, whoever they have been kicking tires with)? How long until he plays in the NHL? What position does the BPA play?If the answers are “maybe and two years” or worse, “maybe, two years, and wing”, I think we should consider trading it. None of the LT draft fanatics are going to like it. Johansen/Couturier etc are no longer shiny and new. But balance and timing are everything.Drafting a D other Jones is very poor planning. An 18 year old Dman is a three year project…minimum.

The only time you trade a 1st rounder, IMHO, is for that final missing piece or pieces that put a cup pretender into cup contender status. We are, this year, far removed from that possibility. Top end picks are for BPAs and that can’t be position dependent. If you end up with a box of apples you can figure out the exchange of apples for oranges later – but on draft day pick the pick of the crop as they come up. Especially if you are selecting as early as the Oilers will this year.

65. RickDeckard says:

Woodguy,

What do the Flames and the unemployment office have in common? Lots of college kids with no hope of a career.

66. ashley says:

Doug McLachlan: Actually with top-end draft picks I am very dogmatic because rarely does that deal ever work out for the team trading the pick away.

The only time you trade a 1st rounder, IMHO, is for that final missing piece or pieces that put a cup pretender into cup contender status.We are, this year, far removed from that possibility.Top end picks are for BPAs and that can’t be position dependent.If you end up with a box of apples you can figure out the exchange of apples for oranges later – but on draft day pick the pick of the crop as they come up.Especially if you are selecting as early as the Oilers will this year.

Fair point, but I think I would only buy that for top 5, maybe top 3. After that, I think once the pick has been made, you limit the market that you might be able to trade your asset. Your asset may flourish, as you suggest, but your asset may also tank as we have seen many top 10 picks do over the years. Trading the pick provides the broadest market to balance the roster with a good young player.

I agree about BPA, but if the Oilers are looking at a winger or dman as BPA, the pick may have more value as a trade than picking the player and hoping for a trade to balance later. From the sounds of things, the Oilers are talking like they might use the pick to fill an organizational need which means they should trade it for sure. Loser organizations draft for need in the first round.

67. BlacqueJacque says:

I’m struggling to find reasons to watch this game. Do I want the Oilers to win, to lose, or for the season to go away?

The only hook I’ve got is seeing two future giants of the division going at it, but Colorado is going to the Midwest next year.

68. RickDeckard says:

BlacqueJacque,

Avs aren’t going to be in the Oilers division starting next year. Unless you think that the NHL will expand to Houston+KC, forcing the Avs back into the neo-smythe.

69. BlacqueJacque says:

RickDeckard,

Thanks, I just caught that myself.

I was looking at a potential conference map rather than an actual one. :)

Sorry for the stealth edit.

This Boston stuff is fascinating. There’s a 6-0 thrashing going on (NYR>BUF) but I’m watching this coverage. I feel a little guilty because there’s only two ways this can go.

71. BlacqueJacque says:

Wait, what?

Don’t you have this backwards?

The team with three first overall picks already (finishing 30th, 30th, and 29th in the last 3 years, and not much better in previous years) is somehow “ahead of the game” of a team that is managing a rebuild without becoming a laughing stock?

I agree the Oilers have more potential, but … this was the year the potential was supposed to turn into something real.

72. jake70 says:

OK, good, I am not the only one. There’s a 40 gallon gas can in that boat he is in, owners, now that they are safe, probably nervous they will lose their toy.

73. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque,

You want the Oilers to lose, and the season to go away.

These line are wack.

75. hunter1909 says:

Sacco looks like John Travolta.

Just trying to cheer things up.

76. VanOil says:

Even the PP is in the show me state with Potter as the Point.

Hall. All day.

78. VanOil says:

Some one forgot to show the Kingston Cannonball pictures of sad kittens.

79. MrSmitty says:

Dammit Hall is going to cost us Barkov :(

80. VanOil says:

Do we even have a game plan for playing with the lead? I thought we we always supposed to spot them one.

Nice save by Dubnyk, some traffic in front.

Good stick by Ryan Jones there.

83. VanOil says:

The Ice has not so much tilted as fallen over a cliff

84. rich says:

Hey Ralph! Do you need to make any further assessment of Jonesy? Or can you let Harski play?

85. hunter1909 says:

Pity. Potter is one of the players I’d have killing the penalty.

86. hunter1909 says:

How does the 1st+2nd class Oiler fan thingy shake down when they’re playing on the road? Could someone let me know?

87. hunter1909 says:

Both teams look fed up.

88. VanOil says:

If he meant to do that, wow

holy crow, Eberle with a beauty.

90. hunter1909 says:

Oilers play great non-contact hockey.

Paajarvi with a really wise defensive move, he cheated for the slot in anticipation and damned if the puck didn’t go there. Impressive.

92. hunter1909 says:

Even Yak’s stick lying on the ice tries to make a play.

93. bookje says:

Woodguy:

I can see it now!

1. Oilers finish season just ahead of Calgary Flames. Flames in line for 5th pick, Oilers in line for 6th pick.

2. Day before Draft lottery, Bettman announces that the Flames are required to forfeit their first round draft pick as a penalty for icing an intentionally non-competitive team for the final games of the season.

3. Oilers win draft lottery.

94. Captain Happy says:

SOG:

COL 19 EDM 10

Just caught up on DVR, watching COL feed on CI at my condo in PHX.

COL pbp team loves the Oilers skill, can’t see why they aren’t closer to the playoffs.

Agreed that 91 made a heady play to save a goal.

4 and 14 showing who they are.

28 showing who he is too. Why is he playing?

45/44 not good at the first pass at all. Expect more of 44.

Nuge. I love that kid.

97. Derek says:

I’m currently tuning in from my penthouse in Lethbridge. Livin La Vida Loca

Rajala scores midway through the third, OKC wins a big one 1-0.

Derek:
    I’m currently tuning in from my penthouse in Lethbridge.Livin La Vida Loca

I love LA

100. rich says:

@ Woodguy:

LA = Lower Alabama?

101. VanOil says:

Eberle might get a bucket full tonight.

102. VanOil says:

Woodguy: I love LA

Kipling had some concerns about the basement.

COL is mentally in Vegas

VanOil: Kipling had some concerns about the basement.

I thought that was after he visted “Gas City” Medicine Hat?

105. hunter1909 says:

I every NHL game was like this, we’d all be 2nd tier fans.

106. MrSmitty says:

Pray Calgary and Nashville can hold on for wins tonight. Cause there is no way we are losing to Colorado it seems.

107. hunter1909 says:

Are occasional Oiler fans, who go to 3-4 games a season 1st, or 2nd class?

108. hunter1909 says:

MrSmitty:
    Pray Calgary and Nashville can hold on for wins tonight.Cause there is no way we are losing to Colorado it seems.

Avs are worse, and Oilers are going to score 7+ tonight.

rich:
    @ Woodguy:

LA = Lower Alabama?

Left Albania

110. hunter1909 says:

Only players signed long term are allowed to score, lol.

111. VanOil says:

Woodguy: I thought that was after he visted “Gas City” Medicine Hat?

You are correct, I was mistaken.

112. hunter1909 says:

Love the National Guard commercials…selling USA protection then straight off to the middle east.

113. speeds says:

Woodguy:
    COL is mentally in Vegas

FWIW, COL is outshooting EDM 25-21.

114. MrSmitty says:

hunter1909: Avs are worse, and Oilers are going to score 7+ tonight.

Well I hope they get the goal scoring out of there system. They need to lose the rest of his season. Run the score up, I hope they score 10.

speeds: FWIW, COL is outshooting EDM 25-21.

Let me be more clear.

COL’s D are mentally in Vegas.

They are awful.

116. hunter1909 says:

Mark Rycroft is hilarious.

117. hunter1909 says:

2 minutes for hitting.

118. hunter1909 says:

Yaks makes passes where he slams his stick on the ice and the puck just goes wherever he wants. The only player capable of playing with him is Hall.

Jones. oy.

Ryan Jones. oy.

121. VanOil says:

Jones. oy.

Taylor Hall (arm) will not return to the game. oy. oy. oy.

Gernat with a goal, and an assist tonight.

124. MrSmitty says:

What happened to Hall I am stuck at work. I can’t watch the game? Did it look bad?

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 1m

On Hall’s last shift of the second, he blocked a shot with what appeared to be his arm. I assume that’s it.

126. fuzzy muppet says:

Tank time! No Hall=No wins

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 40s

Final chances: 15-18; 2-6 ST

128. Gerta Rauss says:

Well, as long as Hall or Petry don’t need anything amputated, I can live with this result. You can’t lose them all.

129. MrSmitty says:

Damnit Hold on Calgary

130. fuzzy muppet says:

Yay Flames!????!

131. VanOil says:

It might be a long time for there to be cheering like that in the Saddledome again.

132. Captain Happy says:

VanOil:

They have 3 first round draft picks and a ton of cap space.

They may surprise you.

133. rickithebear says:

Do not know if anyone mentioned it.
    Was listening to Fan 960.
    Droping my son off with the Ex.
    They announced a 7year contract renewal.
    Ken king thanked the fans for supporting the radio based games.
    Said THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PAY TO BE FLAMES FANS..

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 1m

Hall pulled from the ice after he blocked a shot with arm. Not considered serious. Ditto for Petry (nose), Brown (nose) & Paajarvi (leg).

135. RickDeckard says:

Gernat with a 5 point night, Marincin with 7 shots in OKC.

Sign Gernat. I know he has some chaos and most of that offense is probably going to stay in junior but there’s just too much there.

137. Suntory Hanzo says:

what does the ST mean?

special teams, I assume anyway.

139. Captain Happy says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 14m
    “We don’t want to be in the top 5 and drop into the lottery. We want to move up. I’ve set a goal to try and get us to 21st.” Ralph Krueger

Good God.

140. bookje says:

Captain Happy: They have 3 first round draft picks and a ton of cap space.

They may surprise you.

You think they might find three Jankowskis this time around?

Your shtick loses all effectiveness when you try to elevate EVERY team above the Oilers.

141. vishcosity says:

Captain Happy:
    SOG:

COL 19 EDM 10

From the guy who keeps saying that only goal scoring counts.

This is exactly why I think there needs to be better metrics on shot quality from the league. The league could easily hire five people to watch then rate each shot. I caught pieces of that game and it seemed the Oil had the advantage for more than half the time, and certainly were getting better chances.

WG – you see that sunset tonight? Wow. I love Phoenix (except for August).

142. LMHF#1 says:

Second OKs game in a row tonight.

Gernat was stellar in the offensive zone. Lazar and Samuelsson both played really well.

Moroz and Ewanyk were pretty bad. They are capable of being decent whl goons but I’ve just never seen more. Certainly not a step forward for Moroz.

Neither was as bad as Reinhart was before the mid-third. We were honestly debating whether he was concussed or drunk for a while.

143. Ribs says:

“Just trying to protect our guys,” said an out-of-breath Moroz post-game at Rexall Place. “It was a dirty hit and that’s what I’m here to do. Even if it’s a 5-on-3 for us, Trav (Ewanyk) and I are going to take liberties and protect our guys.”

Meanwhile….

Oilers prospect Martin Gernat was instrumental in the Game 2 victory, registering a pair of goals and an assist to lead the Oil Kings to a 6-0 throttling of their provincial rivals.

It’s all beginning to make sense….

144. leadfarmer says:

Captain Happy,

Cause we all know that the best free agents want to come to a rebuilding town in Alberta.

145. Hammers says:

Magnus should sit 6th and Hartski 9th .on your list .

Captain Happy:
    Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 14m

Good God.

That was a misquote. Krueger didn’t use the word lottery. Checked the tape. But I wouldn’t mind if he had. A coach shouldn’t be concerned about draft positioning.

One should always be trying to win. The remaining 5 games are against really good teams, so one can try hard to win.

147. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ribs:

Meanwhile….

It’s all beginning to make sense….

Sign the facepuncher, lose track of the star?

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:
    Sacco looks like John Travolta.

Just trying to cheer things up.

I always thought he looked like a depressed barfly.

VanOil:
    Some one forgot to show the Kingston Cannonball pictures of sad kittens.

terrible showing by that first and second line tonight… stupid winning!

Woodguy: Let me be more clear.

COL’s D are mentally in Vegas.

They are awful.

But Zanon’s beard is right where it belongs, in rarified air up there in Col.

BTW. did anyone else watch the Col feed? those guys are like a pair of Kelly Hrudeys. Both super positive, happy about everything. And not just in a homer way, they literally praised everything that happened and didn’t happen. It was kinda fun.