OILERS AT CANUCKS G37 (12-13)

The Oilers have a 42.1% chance to make the playoffs this morning and in fact hold down the 8th and final playoff spot. Taylor Hall is 5, 6-8-14 +9 during the recent streak and those numbers are positively Herculean.

8th placeThat’s a beautiful sight, Oilers inside the playoffs. There’s a long way to go, but this represents a turning point along the way to contending for the Stanley. Which team will falter and allow the Oilers in? I don’t think it will be St. Louis, but Detroit, San Jose and (believe it or not) Vancouver may be vulnerable.

Tonight’s game is massive. I don’t think you can count on the Oilers to win, but if they do it would represent another statement game. Saturday night in Rexall against the Canucks, last night against the Flames, and tonight against Vancouver all in one week? Should that happen, we might be talking about this week well into the future–years.

scoring race

It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? My oh my, that looks very good. Hall is 7th in NHL scoring, 3rd in the real conference and he could pass a few more names before mile 48.

5x5hall

Hall leads the western conference in 5×5/60. LEADS IT!

Parkatti’s numbers are up and they confirm many, many things:

• The Hall line moves the chains like clockwork
  • The 2line is better but still not where it needs to be
  • Horcoff is central to this team’s success
  • Yakupov is pushing now, it’s going to get crazy very soon
  • The 4line needs work
  • Smid-Petry are solid
  • Potter seems to be moving up the depth chart

smid1

Last night’s even strength minutes for D

1. Smid 18:32
  2. J Schultz 17:58
  3. Petry 17:48
  4. Whitney 17:04
  5. Potter 16:00
  6. N Schultz 14:21

Nick Schultz has been playing fewer minutes of late, I wonder if he’s nursing an injury? Anyway, coach Krueger seems to have little worry about moving Potter up or sending Smid, J Schultz or Petry over the boards a time or two. Are we seeing some kind of morphing among the blue? Potter from 6-7 to 5? Whitney from 5-6  to 4? Nick Schultz to the back of the line?

Or is it injury?

YakupovCelebrates

Something unusual happened last night. Ralph Krueger didn’t call off the dogs–in fact, he seemed to be increasing the skill shifts and using his 1PP late in the game when it was a laugher. My theory is he didn’t like the Flames taking liberties and decided to exact his own justice. Could be wrong, maybe he just wanted to see the horses run free like the rest of us.

Absolutely nothing against anyone, but this kid Yakupov needs to be playing with the gifted players. Next year for sure.

About tonight:

weir4

456 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G37 (12-13)"

Newer Comments »
  1. jp says:

This is fun!

2. Adam Dyck says:

What a game. Remember that time we spotted the Flames a couple of points?

The only thing that makes me as happy as the success of the Oilers is the failings of the Flames, and tonight those two trains rode the same track a long, long way. It’s always hard to believe in the Edmonton Oilers, and we’ve all had our hopes dashed a hundred times before, but all I can do at this point is think about the playoffs. Stan Weir is back.

STAN WEIR.

3. jonrmcleod says:

Is there a site that shows the NHL standings with shootout wins? I’m just curious what the standings would look like if we still had ties.

4. Simmer24 says:

I haven’t seen Stan Weir since I found this site during the cup run in ’06 when I would read the posts out loud to my wife (then gf – did something right). Gave me goosebumps to see his photo today. Welcome home Stan, hope you’re here to stay.

5. jonrmcleod says:

The last two victories would have been more sweet had they been against a full Flames squad. But two straight wins against the Canucks (who keep adding and adding and adding trying to get that elusive first Cup) would top off a great week of Oilers hockey.

6. GordM says:

7. Chris says:

The return of Stan Weir! For those that have forgotten Stan Weir’s tears cure cancer but no one has ever seen him cry. His beard doesn’t conceal a chin but another fist. He does not sleep he simply waits.

A five game winning streak and the Oilers are two and half games back on the division lead and in a playoff spot. Huge game tonight for the Oilers.

8. Traktor says:

Because Taylor Hall.

9. 42 percent body fat says:

Gagners and Paajarvis offence has slowed down since hemsky was put back on there line. While hemsky creates offense he does it by himself and not with his linemates. Time to put Yak back on that line where they will work together and hemsky down with horcoff and jones who have no offence so anything hemsky brings is a bonus.

Now I know you dont want to tinker with a winning line but…

Also Erat for Foresberg. Where was Tambo. Could you imagine adding another winger, convertable center, with size to this team. Again trading hemsky sends the wrong message but that would have been a great trade.

10. jonrmcleod says:

42 percent body fat,

Would you be OK trading something like Klefbom and a 1st round pick for Erat? I wouldn’t.

11. justDOit says:

That Stan Weir fella seems to be good luck for the kids – let’s keep him!

12. sliderule says:

Yakupov will probably end up playing with Gagner.Some of the oil look off Yak but Gagner finds him.

You had to love the crosscheck to Glencross and scrum after.He even tried to throw a few punches.

No fear there.

13. Kris11 says:

Yeah, both Yakupov and Hall have that horrifying insanity that they call “total lack of fear.”

Seriously, I can imagine either guy going cliff diving for a lark of fighting in MMA on a dare.

Amazing to see, but a bit worrisome, to me, if not to them.

14. Smarmy says:

I bet the Hopkins line wanted out there in the third. The Flames were taking liberties on them and they wanted to kill them where it matters. I loved every second of it.

Hall is doing what everyone here said he’d do. Grab the team and throw it on his shoulders.

The Nuge is coming around. Yakupov has taken a step forward. The defense looks better these days.

It could all go 180 tonight and the posts here could reflect the bi-polar nature we see around here when it goes bad. But for now you gotta believe.

15. goldenchild says:

No matter what Spector and Rishaug and these guys keep screaming, 4th line goons dont stop dirty play, killers like hall and Nuge on the PP do. How many more beatings like that do you theink the Flames really want to take for the sake of being tough guys?

Man the difference between fantastic offensive player like Hemsky and the All world Super Novas like Hall and Nuge is startling. Hemmer had a lot of nights where he dominated and ended up with 1 or 2 pts. These guys finish everything and leave with 4′s and 5′s. Taylor Hall has become Must See TV.

Tonight is as about a bad a spot as the Oil can be in, I do enough gambling to know the Sharps love situations like this because they pay on such high probability. Oil playing 2nd of back to backs on the road and 3rd in 4 nights. Plus they are coming off a monster win and for the first time in forever have climbed into the 8th spot, everyone will be patting them on the back today, its a natural let down spot. On the other side you have rested vet team who is coming off a couple of tough road losses plus looking for revenge for Sat night. If we can get a point tonight its a great result.

Lets Go Oilers – (Clap Clap)

16. Jordan says:

Some might even say Horcoffian.

Dare I say…

Scorecoffian…

W.R.T. the last photo…

I greatly admire and appreciate that His name is not actually bring brought out yet. That should certainly be reserved for the playoffs, and I applaud you LT for ensuring this occurs. But that being said… Damn it’s good to see his ugly mug around here again.

17. hunter1909 says:

Kris11: Amazing to see, but a bit worrisome, to me, if not to them.

Why bother worrying? History suggests they each have a decade of NHL stardom ahead. After that, they belong to Slats.

18. Hammers says:

I won’t be surprised to see the following by the end of this trip . RNH ,Hall, Ebs ; Gags , Magnus,Yak; Horc Smyth, Hemsky and Jones Pettrell or Brown with our new center .

19. hunter1909 says:

Hall speaks and answers questions like a young Gordie Howe.

The weird thing is, he’s probably starting to approach the same level of play.

20. striatic says:

huge game tonight.

slapping around the discombobulated Flames doesn’t say much, but beating the Canucks on the Road says a lot.

it also will move the playoff probability into honest coin-flip territory.

i think with Kesler out and with the Luongo distraction the Oilers have an opportunity here.

the Canucks brought in Derek Roy to fill the void left by Kesler but the Oilers have a chance to catch the Canucks while he’s still acclimating.

21. JAG-041 says:

Stanny boy
    Do us good!

22. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Lockout made for a weird schedule. 3 with the Ducks (alas not the Sharks), 2 with the Wild and Canucks, 1 each with 4 other teams. So still some chance to pull back the division rivals.

“and (believe it or not) Vancouver may be vulnerable”.

5th anniversary baby!

4th Oilers 41-35-6 88
    5th Canucks 39-33-10 88

75 Minnesota 2–1 Vancouver
    76 Vancouver 2–3 Calgary
    77 Vancouver 3–6 Colorado
    78 Vancouver 0–4 Minnesota
    79 Calgary 2–6 Vancouver
    80 Colorado 4–2 Vancouver
    81 Edmonton 2–1 Vancouver
    82 Calgary 7–1 Vancouver

23. JAG-041 says:

Seriously love that Yak was getting a bit gritty last night
    I really dig his style of play
    and that clapper!
    he could put a hole in the side of an aircraft carrier

I personally think that 4 line will look a helluva lot better when Smithson arrives
    I’m hoping he’ll suit the play style of the other guys on the line better than Belanger
    I like that he has positive ZS ZF numbers, that’s something that earlier in the year I think we all could have appreciated…

24. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

Knocking the Dys out was only a consolation prize that year, but leaving them for dead on the last game of the season should be worth a play-off spot this year.

25. Numenius says:

N. Schultz got hit hard twice in one shift early on. That could be the reason for his decreased toi later. Hope it’s nothing serious.

26. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“Damn it’s good to see his ugly mug around here again.”

Jordan,

Oiler’s twitter site has the next gen mug shot charm up today:

‏@EdmontonOilers: Giving some mad #Oilers Twitter profile love to @hallsy04 right now on account of the #beastmode pic.twitter.com/poEyUlVl7K

27. Ice Sage says:

This won’t be easy – Schneider and Vcr D not likely spray out the softball rebounds that accounted for 5/8 goals last night. Krueger (and the vets in the room) got a big job to keep these guys focussed and ruthless. A regulation win would be amazing.

28. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Ice Sage:
    This won’t be easy – Schneider and Vcr D not likely spray out the softball rebounds that accounted for 5/8 goals last night.Krueger (and the vets in the room) got a big job to keep these guys focussed and ruthless. A regulation win would be amazing.

And this isn’t even the hardest part of the schedule. When the schedule was drawn up those 3 games against the Ducks looked more useful than say 3 against the Sharks.

Total opponent record for all of the remaining games: 242-140-51.
    And only the only head to heads are with the teams tied for 3rd seed.

29. striatic says:

Ice Sage: This won’t be easy – Schneider and Vcr D not likely spray out the softball rebounds that accounted for 5/8 goals last night.

beating up on an absolutely terrible Flames squad was fun, don’t get me wrong, but we shouldn’t be too optimistic based on exploiting a gutted, next to last place team.

Vancouver on the road is the real test.

if the Oilers can win this one, i’m confident they will be playoff bound.

30. cabbiesmacker says:

Chris:

Weir? Pffttt.

It’s a known fact that the Titanic did not sink after colliding with an iceberg. It was Taylor Hall backstroking across the Atlantic.

When this season is over, and Hall is holidaying in Pamplona for San Fermin, the bulls will be running from Him.

31. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic,

Yeah, I don’t think people appreciate how depleted the Flames are. No Iginla, no Bouwmeester – that’s fifty minutes of top-line players gone. Throw in bad goaltending and you have the recipe for the disaster that was last night.

Vancouver, meanwhile, now has a second line centre in Derek Roy.

32. cadooo says:

jonrmcleod,
    Standings with the old OT rules

WEST

PHI – 33
    WSH – 32
    TBL – 31
    BUF – 28
    FLA – 22

33. Jon K says:

It is good to see His image again. Let us hope we have not scorned Him by calling on His likeness to better our petty hopes and dreams.

34. wordbird says:

Once, Stan Weir gave himself a birthday present.

He opened the box, and inside was another Stan Weir, identical in every way, holding a box. He opened the box, and inside was another Stan Weir, identical in every way, holding a box. He opened the box, and inside was another Stan Weir, identical in every way, holding a box…

35. Minister D- says:

I’m ok with winning a game by six goals that we should win by six goals. I’m even more ok with it being the Flames. Don’t care if it “doesn’t say much” or that we manhandled a depleted team: what it DOES say is that the Oilers are finally reaching a point where they’re beating teams they should beat. That’s still taking care of business. That’s a step for a team that’s all about next steps. Next step: kill Johnny Canuck.

36. delooper says:

The Oilers have a glut of really hard games in the next week, starting tonight. But then like magic, the schedule softens just before the end. If they can go close to 50% in these big matchups with Vancouver, LA and Anaheim, stay away from injuries then blow-away the opponents in the remaining matches, they’ll have a decent chance for the playoffs.

37. delooper says:

Another possibility is the Oilers will just get lucky. Teams like Anaheim and Chicago are maybe feeling pretty comfortable in the standings. So maybe they rest-up some of their dinged better players rather than play them against the Oilers. This kind of thing seems to always happen towards the end of the season.

38. denny33 says:

LT makes a great point.

Second time I have seen Krueger do this…keep 1st line guys rolling when the score is out of hand. He did it against Dallas – who like Calgary – were being clowns.

At first, I was really, really mad at Hartley because he kept rolling out his 4th line….but the truth is – it was his BEST line and they actually deserved more icetime. Still don’t like it…

Jackman fighting Whitney is totally unacceptable…..

In the coming years – we might run teams out of the rink more….I do worry about the clowns of the NHL ( yes – I know – there are less of them..)

A few runs at players by Sarich and Giordano running at Hall…..

39. Lois Lowe says:

I think the schedule being difficult is a good thing for a playoff drive. The teams that the Oilers need to beat to get in are the teams that they will need to beat as a playoff team. To my eyes, Detroit looks the most vulnerable, but I really don’t care who stumbles so much as I want to see the Oilers finish strong. The team is healthy, they seem to be using their speed to their advantage, and I would wager that Coach K’s message is really sinking in. I think this groups believes that they can play with anybody and to my eyes they can.

40. CrazyCoach says:

Finally a game on TV (I live in BC) and I can’t watch it due to my rec league playoffs starting tonight.

The Canucks are still a good team with the ability to go far, but as with most teams, age and injury have slowed them down considerably.

It would be a drag to play them every night, but tonight is a good test to see how far these boys have come.

Go Oilers!

41. denny33 says:

42 percent body fat,

Could not agree more….I actually respect Washinton’s managment for drafting….

Need to figure out why they would dump Forsberg at this point….really strange.

42. Wolfpack says:

Last night, after the two quick goals by the bad guys, I shrugged my shoulders and said that I wasn’t worried, the Oilers would come back easily. My wife was shocked and pointed out that it had been many years since I had said that.

All the lack of finish that the first line displayed the first 15-20 games has seen the pendulum really swing back. Now they are burying their opportunities.

I think the Canucks will be out for blood tonight and I am not expecting an Oiler win but if they can keep the game close and push back it will be a good sign.

I detest all things Canucks but part of me felt bad for Luongo yesterday, who clearly wanted out. But the fact that he dried his tears with gold-trimmed silk hankerchiefs kind of brought me back to reality.

43. Lois Lowe says:

I also want to point out that MacDonald should have got the mercy pull last night but didn’t which is a shame because it would have kept their streak alive.

44. Wolfpack says:

Lois Lowe,

Now that is has come to light that Kipper will probably retire at the end of the season and not honour the last year of his contract, I wonder if he sees the ice again. Not sure if the Flames would be bitter about that or whether they still worship at the altar of Mikka.

45. FPB94 says:

So that’s what it’s like when you take a team’s soul and eat it.

Good job Oilers.

46. TheOtherJohn says:

Love Hall. He truly drives this bus!

Do not, however, suggest he is a Gordie Howesque. Howe was quite unique in that he was a perennial top 5 scorer and was a true superheavyweight. Last night he would have pounded Jackman and had a most interesting tilt with MacGrattan. Flames would not have been running around taking liberties with his teammates in the third period

Do not think Whitney is doing what the Oilers think he is doing but until they embrace analytics, it willl not change

Going to be interested to see what Derek Roy brings to Nucks

47. FPB94 says:

Seeing the NHL highlights with the Sportsnet West commentator who seems to be a Flames fan. Seems like every goal is eating him bit by bit. Love it.

48. jonrmcleod says:

cadooo,

Thanks! (Where did you get your info?)

49. Peacecountry says:

Kris11:

Amazing to see, but a bit worrisome, to me, if not to them.

Think about it for a second…. have either of those two EVER had anything to be fearful about? They have literally succeeded with at any hockey related endevour they have attempted. Yakupov and Hall aren’t fearless or cocky. They are indignant.

50. cabbiesmacker says:

sliderule:
    Yakupovwill probably end up playing with Gagner.

That should be exciting to watch if it happens this year. Exciting as in “Oh geez….now what happens” , facepalm, kinda way. Nice game by the kid last night but whoa, some of those passes into the netherzone can make a guys sphinc clench a little.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The weirdest part of being an Oiler fan today is the affect imbalance. The sheer joy of watching these kids clobber the world is unmatched by anything else a fan can experience. The sheer frustration of watching their managers fail to resolve peripheral problems is equally unmatched.

At any rate, as far as last night goes I’d like send a big ole’ “thank you john” to Jay Feaster:

I wanna thank you John
    For being a good time come
    You done proved yourself to me
    You’re as jive as you can be
    Now it’s all right to keep her out all night
    But when she leaves you alone
    Send your paycheck home
    It’s gonna be all right

Today the flames fans are singing, “Bring on the heartaches”

Going into tonight, I’m feeling my oats after the big win. I’m ready to serve up something for the Nucks. They’ve been too long without a taste of hurt

“I’m gonna drop some hurt
    I’m gonna make your heart burst
    get ready for your first taste of hurt”

(check out that organ riff at the beginning. sweet baby jesus that’s hot!)

Willie Tee ladies and gentlemen.

52. Dipstick says:

I’m coming around to the idea that an effective power play can be an better deterrent than an enforcer. It doesn’t take up room on the bench. The only worrisome variable is the willingness of the refs to call penalties, especially if the team gets to the playoffs. I loved watching the “skate of shame” and the expressions on their faces, as each Flame was let out of the box after the second period goals.

53. PaperDesigner says:

Howe was a super heavyweight? I don’t get that impression from anything that was said about him, by his stat line (he only broke 100 PIM four times in his career, and his highest was 109, plus he was six foot flat, apparently, and although players were smaller in that era I’m sure, I doubt that was heavyweight territory). People talk about him being a bit of a dirty player, and a physical one, but I don’t think that makes a player that is dissimilar in style to Taylor Hall at all. At least, on the surface–I never saw him play, being a twenty five year old. We shouldn’t be holding off on the Gordie Howe comparisons because of playing style, really, but just because he’s one of three players in NHL history who realistically can be pointed to as an alternative to Gretzky as a legitimate alternative to the best player in NHL history (the others being Lemieux and Orr). We can start having that conversation when Taylor starts maintaining his current two points per game pace over the course of the next decade or three. Well, maybe not quite that much.

54. jonrmcleod says:

Dipstick,

I’m 6 feet flat and I’m considered a heavyweight in my floor hockey league. :)

55. DeadmanWaking says:

GordM: Under the “Take me to the land of realignment” link on sportsclubstats.com they indicate the Oilers would have a 60.1% chance at the playoffs.

You can’t take that too seriously. Coaches coach to present reality. GMs trade against the present reality. I’ll believe those premonitions of realignment when it includes ten hours of simulated trade-deadline coverage with entirely different moves being made by managers jostling on a froth of alternate happenstance. Except for Feaster. His red mile yard sale was preordained.

We’re still a flawed team. Even with Hall beasting, we still need to find an extra half a gear to close this season out. Paging Mr Yakupov to Cape Canaveral.

I’m on my last Boost for this cycle this morning. I wasn’t sure I needed this dose, nor was it clear I didn’t. I’m four time zones advanced from where I intended to land, and a half a planet (12 hours) advanced from where I expected to find myself without this crazy slingshot around the dark side. While my alignment with the bright star is now much improved, my internal body clock is thoroughly buggered.

On the second dose of the fourth double-header I experienced an hour of waking REM sleep. I sat on the couch in delirious fusion with a distant internal voice repeating over and over “I really must be awake to be sitting on the couch asking myself whether I’m awake or asleep.” A spinning top would have been handy right about then. The Boost obliterates body signals concerning natural sleep rhythm. Fatigue is a little different. The exhaustion signal shows up after a few days of sleep abuse. At that point I could figure out when to crash and not have my eyes bolt open three hours later in a horrible state of half-rested limbo. Unfortunately, exhausted sleep is a kind of empty-calorie sleep. It’s the sleep equivalent of a snack-foil dinner.

Tomorrow I’m shields down and entirely back to my own devices. The Star Trek episode with the face-wash spoor flowers comes to mind. Poof: welcome to your new reality.

Kirk [struck by the spoor] begins to feel at peace and makes plans to beam down to the colony, but as he is about to leave the Enterprise, he has second thoughts in reflecting upon his career, causing him to feel a wave of violent emotions, which overwhelms and destroys the effect of the spores. Kirk now realizes the spores cannot survive the presence of strong feelings. He asks Spock to come up to the ship ostensibly to help him with some things that they won’t be able to retrieve once the last of them leaves. Kirk actually wants to revert Spock’s change of personality. The Captain states for his log that his plan to kill the spores by enraging Spock carries considerable risk: Spock is a half-Vulcan, a humanoid far stronger than a human, whose race were once ferocious warriors before their control of emotion ended the slaughter on their world.

Homicide, herbicide, hamicide.

In the evil Spock mirror universe (featuring the bearded Weir-Vulcan) Kevin Bieksa is a potted plant field-forcibly sequestered in the dankest corner the biohazard deck as a Trojan gift against any do-gooder pantywaists you wish to destroy: one flaky beakful of Biekzema chuffed into a crowded room induces such a mayhem of hell-bent annihilation that your pacifistic mirror-universe adversary completely forgets their larger purpose. In this universe, the spell is broken with an outburst of rapid-fire jamicide, such as we witnessed last night. It completely subverts the trope of Growing the Beard to have Captain Fistric take the helm of the USS Excursion, be he ever so adept at titillating the ladies. I don’t share Hunter’s confidence in the mirthril shield of manhood on a munch break. Don’t let this man mess with your brain bucket.

I’m amused at the secondary ability of the spoor-plant to rock your play list. Spock had no idea what hit him. My Pebble watch arrived yesterday. It has a function to shuffle your tunes, but when I go there it tells me “No Music Found”. I guess I’m a bit like Scotty during his Delta Vega phase spending far too much time with his head up the conduits and not having much of a party life. While Pebble lacks the ability to “beep”, the vibrator is distinctly audible. It works well enough, but it’s presently useless as a Morkian personal time piece, being completely stuck on earth time until they get the lead out and deliver the SDK. Once they deliver the SDK I won’t rest until it displays:

Stardate 41153.7
    Boost factor 3

With my stockpile of pharmaceutical wares on the up and up, this is far from an idle threat.

I missed the fireworks last night while watching Melancholia with Kirsten Dunst. She’s cool about the personal exposure, which she says is artfully shot, more spacey than spicy, and not one bit like Kirk preparing to fend off Seven of Nine. The middle third of this movie consists of the wedding scene from The Deer Hunter reshot by the director of Tree of Life, slower, twice as dark and drowning in swank. Wedding scenes in movies give me a hypoxic itch at the best of times; pretty much anything church-related is hard for me unless Bunny Breckinridge is sitting in a back pew whispering none-too-quietly “Let’s hear you call Boris Karloff a cocksucker”. One can either view this movie as an exercise in art-house masochism or as a Hollywood root canal. Basically the plot is that a man is struck by an asteroid on his wedding day, leaving behind a violent violet so consumed with her inner Vogon poetry that she’s unable to lift a leg, until with the clock winding down she summons the pluck to secure a paleolithic window seat on the grand finale, in which three hours of Peter Jackson special effects are compressed into a blink-and-you-miss-it dust-bunny of Armageddon. That’s pretty much it. I don’t think I left much out but the herky-jerky hand-cam work, which began to get on my nerves.

So far so good. Melancholia appears to have flung past and is now receding at 60,000 miles per hour, scientists confidently proclaim with little margin for error.

56. denny33 says:

On a side note, I see the San Jose sharks are feeling the effects of unloading their UFA’s and collecting boat loads of 2nd round draft picks this year and next…..

They keep winning….they beat Minnesota last night.

That makes it 6 in a row…..

Unload chaff – get high round picks….Dumb Wilson.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dipstick:
    I’m coming around to the idea that an effective power play can be an better deterrent than an enforcer.It doesn’t take up room on the bench.The only worrisome variable is the willingness of the refs to call penalties, especially if the team gets to the playoffs.I loved watching the “skate of shame” and the expressions on their faces, as each Flame was let out of the box after the second period goals.

It’s definitely more effective… but on a sidebar one of the more ridiculous “color guy comments” of late is homers congratulating their team, or the opposition on occassion, for playing “more disciplined” as the season wears on…

this drives me crazy as it is obvious to anyone that what too place last year is on again: the refs set a weirdly high pace for penalties at the beginning of the season calling everything in sight (remember that game where Smid got a ton of strange calls?) to today where most games seem to abide by the “let the play” mentality.

I don’t have the time and patience to do what Bruce did last year (cut and paste the nhl data into Excell), but I suspect his findings from last year would be replicated for this year:

58. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Not too late for Gordon Graschuk to learn the official Canucks road game anthem for the 27th.

59. Beaker says:

Beat the flames and the Avalanche
    Beat the coyotes
    Win 1 out of Two with both Minn and Van
    Then we need to win two of three with Anaheim (or one out of two and beat the hawks) to get to 53 points.

That’s doable.

An extra point in a few of those potential losses would help the cause.

60. Beaker says:

Dipstick:

Yeah they call less penalties in the playoffs but goons also get less ice time in the playoffs…

61. CrazyCoach says:

PaperDesigner: Howe was a super heavyweight? I don’t get that impression from anything that was said about him, by his stat line

Not everything on the stats page tells you the story of Gordie Howe. I met the man once at a dinner and even in his late 60′s he scared the daylights out of me cause he looked like he could kill you with one swing of his arm. Legend has it that Gordie liked to work out in boxing clubs in the Detroit area and many an observer said with a little training Gordie could have been a good boxer.

I only saw him play in his WHA days and even then he just looked like a guy you wouldn’t mess with if you valued your life. He was far from a goon, but he wasn’t no Jean Ratelle either.

Taylor Hall is growing into that mold, everyday.

62. bookje says:

I don’t think some of you understand what is happening here. The Canucks are like an Orca pod cornered in a bay and the Oilers are about to make like Japanese fishermen. Wear your goggles folks – this is going to get ugly.

63. Wolfpack says:

I am still shaking my head over the second Yak goal. That was such a terrible play by Stajan or whoever was facing off against Ryan Smyth. Zero effort to tie up Smyth and he easily walks around the Calgary player to set up Yak for the tap in. I thought that move only worked in rec league hockey.

The size of players in the different eras is quite astonishing. I have a great uncle who played for the Trail Smoke Eaters when they won the World Championship in 1961. My grandfather (his brother-in-law) always said he was the biggest, meanest, most feared d-man around. Then I met the guy and he was probably 5’8″.

64. Wolfpack says:

One more thing before I get back to work today. Love how refreshing it was to hear Smid talking about his new contract. When asked about the home town discount he basically said “Are you kidding? I never in a million years thought I’d make this much money” – or something along those lines.

It is great to hear that $14 million dollars is still a lot of money to some of these guys.

65. spoiler says:

My woman dropped me and buddy off at the C-Train station across from McMahon. He’s a Habs fan, but he had asked me if he could wear my Eberle home jersey since I had on the Hall road one. Coz he hates the Flames. A lot. And since it was his squeeze that swung the tix, I had to comply (I will have the jersey sterilized later).

So we traipse onto the C-Train draped in the right colours. And as the train went from stop to stop, the Oiler jerseys kept piling on. Coming out of the station at Stampede, I heard one of the transit guys remark to his co-worker, “Holy crap it’s been mostly Oiler jerseys coming off the trains.”

Of course, once we were in the Dome more Red was noticeable, but even then we had cute girls wearing their Orange and Blue coming up and high fiving us… which was surprising to me since me and buddy are Old Balls, but you know go with the flow, lol. The atmosphere was electric.

The first “Let’s Go Oilers” started with the opening whistle and the icing by the Flames. I had a bad feeling about the game, and the two goals by the Flames to start off did nothing to alleviate my fears. but the Oiler chants kept coming as did the Oilers and we headed down to the concourse to re-supply at the end of the period all tied up and feeling pretty good because the Slick were looking slick and had their skating legs and no fear of the decimated side they were playing. And I think by then the 50/50 was already at about $60K.

And then the 2nd period and… Taylor Hall. Taylor Frickin Hall! Champagne Supernova. My buddy was in awe. And you could see the Flames bench give up about halfway through the second, their side merely going through the motions after that despite their attempts at intimidation,

The cheers for the Oiler goals were huge; I kept expecting the horn to go off after they scored because it felt like a home game. Like G Money in the last thread, I’ve seen a few Oiler games in this barn but always on the losing end and as a huge minority in the “Sea of Red”. There is nothing worse than going to an Away Loss, and nothing better than attending an Away Win, Last night was the most fun I have ever had in the Saddledome. I will remember it forever.

Maybe we didn’t beat a “real” team, but there was a lot of payback last night and damn it felt good. Flames fans looked downtrodden on the way out of the arena. They’re a smart bunch, unlike Canuckleheads, and they know they were witnessing years of future despair, wandering through the desert, all wrapped up into one hockey game.

And I should be sober again by about Monday.

66. denny33 says:

CrazyCoach,

This is a story from Greatest Hockey Legends – Joe Pelletier..

Feb. 1, 1959
    Howe vs. Lou Fontinato (Rangers)
    This was the fight that truly established Howe’s reputation as a tough guy. Fontinato had a major league reputation as the NHL’s top policeman until he met Howe. Both men exchanged punches in a long battle. Leaping Louie took the worst of it though. Fontinato’s nose was mangled and pushed so far over to the right side of his face that, as one media source reported, “it looked like he ran the 100-yard dash in a 90-yard gym.”

Here is the story above about Howe…. opposition players and teammates said it sounded like Howe was ‘chopping wood’…

Also, famous story in the WHA when Gordie was 46 and playing with his son Marty. A Brawl that saw Marty on the ice and a player on top of him….Gordie came in and lifted the guy off by pulling him up by the nostrils…..

Interestingly, after 4 decades of hockey, one article said Gordie Howe only recorded 2 ‘Gordie Howe Hatricks…

67. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Wolfpack,

Back in the day Tim Horton was 5’10 180. Howe called him the strongest man in hockey and Ferguson said he had the hardest body check.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler,

great story.

69. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sweet Willie Tee. Let it be so for the Canucks tonight.

70. russ99 says:

Gotta beat those clowns tonight, but to do so we need to play a lot better defensively.

Left Dubey out to dry way too often last night.

Can’t wait to see what the kid line does tonight to top last night. :D

71. cabbiesmacker says:

Best Howe story I’ve heard was roughly 15 years ago when he was asked:

“Gordie if you were playing in the NHL today how many goals would you score over 82 games?”

Howe ; “I don’t know…15? 16?”

Interviewer incredulously: “Gordie, you’re widely regarded as one of the top 3 players ever to play in the NHL. Only 15 or 16?”

Howe: “Well I am 70 years old”

72. Clarence Oveur says:

STL regulation loss and even just a point tonight goes a long way. CBJ regulation loss (we have a game in hand on NSH) and DET regulation loss would be icing on the cake.

These next three games are critical to the stretch run. Get out of this road swing with 3 or 4 points, and 7 of the final 9 games are at home. What an opportunity for this team, I’m cheering like hell for them.

73. denny33 says:

bookje,

That is good…..

74. Ivan says:

A VERY good friend called last night and gifted me tickets for tonight vs the Dys. Row 5, just off the Oilers zone faceoff dot. My Daughter and I will be rocking the vintage jerseys, and cheering manically!
    Tough circumstances for the lads tonight, but momentum is a power antidote for tiredness. Besides, they’re (mostly) young and enthusiastic, I hope they lay the boots to the other guys.
    Goilers!

75. cabbiesmacker says:

Wolfpack:

This Wiki blurb kind of says it all. “His rough play caused the NHL to develop penalties for ‘elbowing’ and ‘kneeing’ to discourage others. har.

Still my favorite Wing of all time.

denny33:

They keep winning….they beat Minnesota last night.

That makes it 6 in a row…..

Unload chaff – get high round picks….Dumb Wilson.

All of Doug Wilson’s alleged “brilliance” does not make up for the fact that he choked on Pronger, and let Pronger go to Burke and the Ducks when the San Jose Sharks were in their window. He gave away the Cup to his state rival, and blew up his own contending window.

As we all know, Lowe was not asking for all that much for Pronger, and Wilson hesitated.

So for all his alleged “tactical” analytical genius, he make a massive “strategic” blunder.

77. bookje says:

Wow, all of this awesomeness and Smithson hasn’t even joined the team yet. Imagine how things will be once that happens!

78. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: spoiler, great story.not sure I could wear a jersey of any NHL team other than the Oil though.. I think it would have to be some vintage deal of a long lost team or the jersey of a team from an era before the oil.BTW: what is the Etiquette about wearing jerseys of non-playing teams to a hockey game? I’ve always worn Oiler (or team canada) jerseys to anything that’s hockey related. basically, why didn’t your friend wear his Habs jersey? it’s cool right?

Actually saw a couple of Leafs jerseys there last night.

79. Factotum says:

Ah, that was fun. About a dozen more Flames beatdowns like that and all will seem right with the universe. These next three games, I think, on the road against winning teams that have something to play for, will tell the tale of this Oilers season. Hopefully the quiver wasn’t exhausted last night and arrows remain for the hated Canucks.

No matter how this season ends, it seems apparent that spring has finally come to Edmonton in the form of Taylor Hall. Or, in the words, of e.e. cummings (with a special appearance by Tambo as the balloonman):
    ____________________________

in Just-
    spring when the world is mud-
    luscious the little
    lame balloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
    running from marbles and
    piracies and it’s
    spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
    old balloonman whistles
    far and wee
    and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it’s
    spring
    and

the

goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
    far
    and
    wee
    _____________________________

Enjoy the just-spring, all of you eddieandbill’s and bettyandisbel’s. It’s been a long winter.
    (Sorry, e.e., that the spacing comes out wrong here.)

80. "Steve Smith" says:

Factotum,

(Also, you nailed the capitalization, but got the punctuation wrong.)

81. delooper says:

bookje:
    Wow, all of this awesomeness and Smithson hasn’t even joined the team yet.Imagine how things will be once that happens!

You’re the brightest force of optimism on this blog, bookje. It’s lovely.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

"Steve Smith":
    Factotum,
    (Also, you nailed the capitalization, but got the punctuation wrong.)

And now I’m researching this issue, instead of the issue I should be researching, and am determining that I spoke too hastily – on both of the above points. See this, for example.

83. spoiler says:

"Steve Smith": Factotum, I had an English prof who was convinced that the balloon man was intended to be Satan (I’m agnostic, but can see her point); I’m not sure we want him anywhere near our kids. Other than Yakupov, who’s already acquainted with him from the time they made that deal that gave him his shooting prowess.(Also, you nailed the capitalization, but got the punctuation wrong.)

84. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: I always thought of the balloonman as Pan aka the Pied Piper, leading the others into the bacchanalia of Spring.

85. Factotum says:

"Steve Smith",

Interesting – thanks. Use of the lowercase will be a hard habit to break at my age, but I shall try.
    (PS. Personally, I always thought of the balloon man as Pan. Won’t bore anyone with “how is Tambellini like Pan?”, though…)

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Actually saw a couple of Leafs jerseys there last night.

yuck. wretch. gross.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ivan: A VERY good friend called last night and gifted me tickets for tonight vs the Dys

where does this “Dys” come from…. ?

cabbiesmacker: Ted Lindsay wasn’t a big man, 5’7 – 5’8, but he had a bit of a reputation in the day.

Is there a way to check on average height/weight through the ages?

maybe that was biggish then?

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

has anyone else remembered in the last hour that if we actually make the playoffs… Brown’s 4th becomes a 3rd?

that’s one condition that I wish ST pushed a little harder against.

still there’s no such thing as a crappy lining to making the playoffs after so long.

GOILERS!

89. wordbird says:

spoiler: Actually saw a couple of Leafs jerseys there last night.

And at least one Boston jersey(?)

gawd what a fun game to be at.

especially enjoyed the “EIGHT YEAR REBUILD” chant near the end (to the tune of “Let’s go Oilers”)

90. jimbones100 says:

You misunderstood. He meant to trade Hemsky for Forsberg

jonrmcleod:
    42 percent body fat,

91. 42 percent body fat says:

jonrmcleod:
    42 percent body fat,

nope, but I meant trading hemsky for forsberg , Hemsky is better than erat and we could have gotten a bit more. Oilers version of that trade would be like Hemsky and Petrell for Foresberg. Wonder what we could have added to get tome wilson.

OH too dream

92. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: where does this “Dys” come from…. ?Is there a way to check on average height/weight through the ages?maybe that was biggish then?

“Dys” is short for the Dynasties; our snide little term for the Canucks and all their championships.

93. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

spoiler,
    Romulus Apotheosis,

They think they are the most hated team and fanbase *because* of their victories. Close. They are the Dys *because* they actually believe that that reason exists.

94. Marc says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    spoiler,

96. Lucinius says:

Tonight is a big game. I don’t think the Oilers win it; between the Canucks wanting revenge for the last game, adding Roy and the Oilers playing in Calgary last night, I just don’t see it unless Dubnyk stands on his head. I do think Hall and Co. will make it close and might steal a point from the game, however.

But god damn am I hoping and cheering for a win.

Though I do hope that if we make the playoffs its in 8th. Chicago is the one team we may have a shot at beating!

97. Bag of Pucks says:

Filipino Cupid ads on the homepage?

Oh Lowetide website, you had me at ‘Rello.’

98. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: That’s a more conventional interpretation, I believe, and probably a more “correct” one, to the extent that such an assessment is valid. I prefer my prof’s as more interesting, however.

Well, considering the Catholic notion of Satan was heavily influenced by Pan, the antecedent, I think your Prof’s take is more derivative than interesting, or reflective of his/her own personal beliefs. JMHO and nothing personal intended. The entire U of A English Dept hated me anyways. Outside of the Econ Dept, they were the most dogmatic bunch of idiots I’d ever had the pleasure of being “taught” by.

99. jonrmcleod says:

42 percent body fat,

The Caps must not be that excited about Forsberg if they traded him already. I would only trade Hemsky for someone who would help the team right now. The Oilers are at a point where they need to add actual NHL players, not prospects and first round picks.

100. khildahl says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

The difference between a Canucks fan and any other fan in hockey is illustrated perfectly by the fact the Canucks fan doesn’t understand why the Eberle “movie theatre” commercial running this year is the greatest ad in the history of television.

101. spoiler says:

Marc: Here in London hockey jerseys are an unofficial uniform for Canadian events. At the Canada Day party in Trafalgar Square 70-80% of the people are wearing hockey jerseys. And you can always identify a Tragically Hip gig by the stream of people in hockey jerseys walking from the tube.

That’s pretty cool; I did not know that.

102. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

spoiler,

Waste of carbon. They’re happy to settle for derivative works when Bilgamesh is available to them in perfectly serviceable fragments of Sumerian. What else would you expect from Akkadian lit lovers?

103. spoiler says:

Lowetide: “Dys” comes from Dennis King iirc, he grew tired of the Vancouver fans bragging like they’d won 5 Stanleys in 7 years. They were talking like the Canucks were a dynasty….”Dy’s”

There was something in there too–wasn’t there–about them having non-Stanley Cup banner raising ceremonies?

104. FPB94 says:

So yeah… is it me or the standard for Swedish players seemed to have droped and a lot of guys getting drafted out of Swe-1 or Swe-2?

Magnus was drafted out of the pros, but guys like Forsberg were drafted as high out of the junior. Weird.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thanks all on the “dys”

I figured it was a diss of some kind but hadn’t ever seen it laid out.

106. Ice Sage says:

spoiler: Well, considering the Catholic notion of Satan was heavily influenced by Pan, the antecedent, I think your Prof’s take is more derivative than interesting, or reflective of his/her own personal beliefs. JMHO and nothing personal intended.The entire U of A English Dept hated me anyways. Outside of the Econ Dept, they were the most dogmatic bunch of idiots I’d ever had the pleasure of being “taught” by.

107. FPB94 says:

Ice Sage: My high school English teacher (may she RIP) intimated that the baloonman was just a garden variety neighborhood pedophile… I never trusted folks who don’t capitalize their words after that

Suprised the economic dept is dogmatic? Neo-liberalism all over the damn place.

108. VanOil says:

DeadmanWaking:

A DMW Classic: I am better for knowing;

“Paging Mr Yakupov to Cape Canaveral”

“exhausted sleep is a kind of empty-calorie sleep”

“Homicide, herbicide, hamicide.”

“one flaky beakful of Biekzema”

“an outburst of rapid-fire jamicide”

“Captain Fistric take the helm of the USS Excursion, be he ever so adept at titillating the ladies”

“Kirsten Dunst. She’s cool about the personal exposure”

In response all I can offer is well done sir. May tonight be the night we grow the beards, if that is even possible for young Nuge. And if breaking up with Fallon broke young Miss Dunst may Melancholia fix her and bring us art more nourishing than her saccharin past and her hard to digest present. The world needs more art even if it is in the form of a young Tatarstanian fast ball hit to the cosmos on the half volley.

109. hunter1909 says:

CrazyCoach: Legend has it that Gordie liked to work out in boxing clubs in the Detroit area and many an observer said with a little training Gordie could have been a good boxer.

A pro boxing trainer who’d worked with the best reckoned Howe had the potential to become the world heavyweight boxing champion, such was his physique and athleticism, not to mention a natural born killer’s mean streak.

110. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

RMGS:
    Damn you, Willis!

111. hunter1909 says:

My all time fave Taylor Hall compliment came during his rookie season from Denis Potvin; who simply labelled Hall “a bull”.

Praise from Caesar.

I wonder what Hall’s agent thinks right now?

112. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

hunter1909,

Baseball too.

“Howe played some semi-pro baseball in the offseasons until the Red Wings requested that he quit. He did, however, continue taking batting practice on a relatively regular basis with the Detroit Tigers, and both Tommy Lasorda (MLB Manager) and Al Kaline (Detroit Tigers player), who witnessed these outings, felt that he would have been a good to great professional baseball player with regular playing time”.

113. "Steve Smith" says:

FPB94,

I had limited exposure to U of A econ profs, but I experienced a few who were able to proceed from the first principle of scarcity rather than from that of the free market. There are too many who can’t (or don’t), though, which leads to the totally mistaken impression that economics is, as a science, somehow inherently conservative (or “neo-liberal” – I basically stopped listening to political scientists when they told me that “liberalism” and “conservatism” are opposites, but “neo-liberalism” and “neo-conservatism” mean essentially the same thing).

114. denny33 says:

42 percent body fat,

Chris Cuthbert on the local radio waves saying the only explanation for the Forsberg trade is that the Washington Management group is finding their seat very hot. And to make the playoffs is Imperative for their employment…..

Heavy price to pay for Washington ……

115. Thiru says:

godot10: All of Doug Wilson’s alleged “brilliance” does not make up for the fact that he choked on Pronger, and let Pronger go to Burke and the Ducks when the San Jose Sharks were in their window.He gave away the Cup to his state rival, and blew up his own contending window.

And for all of Gillis’ genius, he traded away Hodgson and signed Luongo to a terrible contract.

I love analytics, but scouting matters too.

I’m a Tambo fan because he hasn’t made any really stupid mistakes. Small ones won’t kill you — it’s the big ones that haunt the franchise.

116. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

denny33,

That’s the kind of bet you only make when you’re rolling the dice to be employed another year. See Lowe, Kevin:

- June 2007 EIG reduces Lowe’s early extension from 4 years to 2 years and then shelves it.
    - July 5, 2007 Lowe offer sheets Vanek attempting to give up 4 #1s.

117. hunter1909 says:

"Steve Smith": I’m agnostic

“Steve Smith”: Anyway, say what you will about Satan, but he’s got a tough zonestart and damned near omnipotent qualcomp.

Agnostic re religion, yet fervent believer in Satan? Doesn’t this line of reasoning ultimately contradict itself?

118. denny33 says:

godot10,

And how long can you hang on to Marleau and Big Joe?

Speaking of Pronger – Emerson Etem has had a decent start for the Anneheim Ducks this year – he was actually a piece of the Pronger trade from the Ducks to the Flyers. Same with the recently traded John Moore….

Last night and now a west coast game tonight…..lots of coffee Friday morning for us Central time zone guys….

119. hunter1909 says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: – June 2007 EIG reduces Lowe’s early extension from 4 years to 2 years and then shelves it.
    - July 5, 2007 Lowe offer sheets Vanek attempting to give up 4 #1s.

I’m sure the EIG had good reasons for the former, but Lowe’s offering up 4 1st round picks probably remains the stupidest thing he’s ever done in his life – which is saying a lot.

120. denny33 says:

Thiru,

Not sure I have ever heard anyone compliment Gillis….he inherited the core of the Canucks.

And as you mentioned – is lying in the Luongo bed of his making…

Ballard, Kassian Garrison…I am not sure what Gillis has done to improve the Canucks.

Speaking of windows – their core is in their mid 30′s…

121. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:

I meant that I was agnostic with respect to my prof’s theory. I make a point of not discussing my religious views in most fora. Hockey blogs are on that list.

122. BlacqueJacque says:

Thiru,

Gillis had no idea of knowing that Kesler would get injured and Hodgson is unsuitable for a third line role. Kassian fills a need and I still think he’ll be a serious puzzle piece for a contender one day.

123. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909:

If I was an atheist I’d still believe in evil. And that’s just because of Mugabe.

Go Oilers (tho i share the notion that the Canucks will win in a walk)

124. B S says:

delooper:
    Another possibility is the Oilers will just get lucky.Teams like Anaheim and Chicago are maybe feeling pretty comfortable in the standings.So maybe they rest-up some of their dinged better players rather than play them against the Oilers.This kind of thing seems to always happen towards the end of the season.

I don’t think Chicago takes it easy on the Oilers. I think they do everything they can to keep the Oilers out of the playoffs. Based on the last two games between them Chicago is scared of playing the Oilers. They coasted to a OT victory because they were worried they’d lose in regulation if they opened up the game, then they sat back and tried to trap the oilers in the 1st period of the next game. Chicago’s style just doesn’t mesh against Edmonton and I think they know it. Anaheim might see it the opposite way though and could certainly look at it as a chance to coast.

Lois Lowe:

This pretty much sums up why this team needs to (not should, or wants to) make a strong push for the playoffs. The coach can preach his system and mantras as much as he wants but until the team wins the players won’t buy in, they’ll simply go through the motions. It sounds circular, but success breeds success. These wins against Van and Cal show a team that is starting to “get it” and hopefully they continue it tonight.

I like how Krueger got his foot on the Flames’ throat and instead of letting off, he stepped down, but I hope the next game against Calgary he dresses Fistric and Peckham. I also hope that the 1st line gets smart and Ebs dumps the puck behind Sarich so that Hall can line him up along the boards, because the only guy looking for redemption last night was Yak (I think it was Brodie who took liberties with Horcoff, and Yak just waited for him to touch the puck before pretending he was a linebacker).

125. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

You’re too intelligent for me. By half. I’m often reduced to grasping at straws, like that one. I went to a 1st year philosophy course(rhetoric) that was populated by aspiring lawyers – one of them was a lot like you. Terrifying intellectual capacities are best left alone by my kind – I prefer barrel shooting.

126. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

hunter1909,

Nothing stooopider than a guy swinging for the fences with the house’s money. GM’s looking for a home run to get an extension need to be under lock and key.

127. Kris11 says:

Steve Smith.

We want you to know that God loves you.

Here, look at this magazine.

128. delooper says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: The shot percentage of 46.4% posted in the playoffs by the 2005-06 Oilers would fit nicely in Willis’s graph. The beauty of small samples like the next 12 games or any round of the playoffs is that lumpy events (and Stan Weir) can swamp round numbers.

The presumption of that blog post is there is a linear relationship between “scoring chances” by whichever metric and actual goals scored. Has anyone actually tested that? Perhaps the relationship is non-linear and nobody looked.

It would seem non-intuitive but there are plenty of non-intuitive relationships out there — like how a moderate amount of fishing actually increases the fish population. A lot of fishing kills off the fish (which I think is intuitive) but a modest amount has the opposite effect.

129. denny33 says:

David Staples has a great article up about the Oilers and trade deadline day..

130. hunter1909 says:

I agree that Chicago wants to meet anyone but the Oilers, but they don’t want to be seen giving Oiler’s respect either, because 1- there’s nothing in it for them and 2- They probably hope Oilers will simply go away, asap. They’re recent cup champs, after all. No point in encouraging upstarts.

131. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:
    “Steve Smith”,

I can’t tell for sure if that was sarcastic, but if it wasn’t it probably should have been.

132. hunter1909 says:

B S: I don’t think Chicago takes it easy on the Oilers. I think they do everything they can to keep the Oilers out of the playoffs. Based on the last two games between them Chicago is scared of playing the Oilers.

Going back to my lion cub analogy, Hawks are like an alpha male lion, enjoying the good life while Oilers are like younger, perfect, potential rival for the affection of the girl lions. Hawks/alpha lion have no reason to fear the upstart because it’s the younger lion’s first mating season, so for this year at least the status quo should remain the same, from the Hawks perspective.

The Nucks are a whole different matter. Nucks are the old, not too successful lion who’s best days are behind him, watching the younger lion starting to get attention from his girl lions, and wondering wtf’s going to happen if/when it’s usual mane puffing trick fails to scare it away.

133. khildahl says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Thiru,

Gillis had no idea of knowing that Kesler would get injured and Hodgson is unsuitable for a third line role.Kassian fills a need and I still think he’ll be a serious puzzle piece for a contender one day.

Other than that little “he’s Kesler” indicator, you mean?

134. hunter1909 says:

khildahl,

It sounds a bit like trading Sam Gagner for Mitch Moroz, with all due respect to Mitch.

Rexall management must be over the moon to see the Nucks destroy themselves, just like that.

135. FrankenOil says:

OKC signs former Flame pick D-Man Joey Leach (formerly of the Kootenay Ice) to an ATO:

136. FPB94 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    FPB94,

I had limited exposure to U of A econ profs, but I experienced a few who were able to proceed from the first principle of scarcity rather than from that of the free market.There are too many who can’t (or don’t), though, which leads to the totally mistaken impression that economics is, as a science, somehow inherently conservative (or “neo-liberal” – I basically stopped listening to political scientists when they told me that “liberalism” and “conservatism” are opposites, but “neo-liberalism” and “neo-conservatism” mean essentially the same thing).

I had the chance to get a teacher who was more focused on scarcity as well, but plugged off when the other gave me some opinion columns to work from (In the paper, it was like wow).

But yeah. Satan sure works hard in the corner to retrieve those lost SOULS.

137. khildahl says:

Cam Barker is playing tonight. Please, Ralph, abuse that matchup wherever possible.

138. B S says:

FPB94,

Bear in mind those PoliSci geeks aren’t big on working out the problems, just reiterating what they’ve been told before. No real experience or knowledge outside of their own clique so they end up suffering from confirmation bias. It’s actually the main problem in Academia in general. If someone has an opposing view point they will just argue from authority (you aren’t a specialist, you don’t know) rather logic or rationale.

Edit: I realize that this is ripe with generalizations, but that’s what they are intended to be, there are certainly plenty of good academics and Political Scientists as well.

139. Truth Movement says:

Amazing.

Joanne Ireland‏@jirelandEJ4m
    Eve of trade ddline Whitney at movie w tmmates, incl Hemsky, who saw #oilers GM called. All figured Hemsky gone. Was a Tambellini pocket dl.

140. cabbiesmacker says:

hunter1909: Exasperated at the thought, probably. Sure the Hawks want to play the Oilers hard, but they’re in a no win situation whereby if they were to for example hammer the Oilers hard in the 2 reg season games, what happens if Oilers storm back and steal the 1st 2 in Chicago come playoff time?

Hossa lion is back on the ice tonight. Sharp lion probably mid next week. Whole different pride with those two healthy.

Agreed on the matchup though. Hawks are not a very physical team and if you give the Oiler kids some room we know what happens. That goes both ways however.

Hawks are deeper than Oilers in most departments but anything can happen in the playoffs. Would be a damn nice series to watch I think. Games going by in a blur and all that. Think theres decent talent on both teams?

141. regwald says:

Truth Movement:
    Amazing.

Joanne Ireland‏@jirelandEJ4m

Why does this not surprise anyone on this blog ? LMAO

Or better yet, we are all in shock that Tambo’s phone actually works.

142. BlacqueJacque says:

Factotum,

Umm, did you take an English course with Garrett Epp at the U of A?

143. Lucinius says:

Hilarious. Can think of a few more, though, that should be on that.

144. hunter1909 says:

cabbiesmacker: Dare to dream my friend but usually what happens is the “far larger” and far “more experienced” lion cuffs the upstart upside the head to remind him who the real boss is then does whatever he damn well pleases..

This blog needs more lion talk.

145. BlacqueJacque says:

cabbiesmacker,

The number one thing that might happen to the Hawks is that their goaltending comes back to earth. Crawford and Emery have already regressed from their hot starts. If both goalies slump, it is tough for any team to win a series. Even the mighty Blackhawks.

146. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Way things are going we might not even face the Hawks first round. Anaheim has almost caught them. We might need to finish 7th if we want to face the Hawks first round.

God damn. Discussing who we’d want to face in the playoffs.

How I have missed this. Hell, I wasn’t even talking about the Oilers with other fans on this fancy internet thing the last time we made the playoffs.

147. Zelepukin says:

on the one hand I agree with the suggestion that Yaks might need to move back with Gags and Maggy since Hemsky is definitely a one-man-show kind of offense and always has been.

On the other hand, Horcs does pick up the slack with regards to Yak’s defensive positioning issues.

Either way we need the 2nd line to start producing more scoring chances because eventually the kids are going to regress or face opponents who will do a better job of line-matching them against their best checkers rather than their first line.

148. khildahl says:

Lucinius:

Hilarious. Can think of a few more, though, that should be on that.

Like a box around the whole thing labelled “Detroit Rules Immunity Zone”.

149. regwald says:

khildahl: Like a box around the whole thing labelled “Detroit Rules Immunity Zone”.

Or the Lidstrom Hot Bounce area behind the nets. Damn those boards at the Joe are lively.

150. Lois Lowe says:

Zelepukin:

I have never like Gagner and Hemsky together, and I still don’t. The issue that I see is that Gagner is not ready to take defensive responsibility for Yak yet, so we’re left with three “scoring” lines once Smyth moves up the chart and plays with Horc and Yak.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: This blog needs more lion talk.

B S: those PoliSci geeks

Oddly there is a connection here.

The imagery of the “lion” runs throughout the canons of moral and political thought. A small sampling.

Plato, Gorgias 483e-484a

Aristotle, Politics 1284a16

Cicero, On Duties I, 41

Machiavelli, Prince §18

Locke, Second Treatise §11

Nietzsche, Zarathustra III, 12 §1; IV 11, 20; Genealogy I, 11; Twilight Improving §2; KSA 13:11[153]; 13:15[62].

152. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Truth Movement:
    Amazing.

Joanne Ireland‏@jirelandEJ4m

bqhatevwr

153. VanOil says:

Lucinius:
    Hilarious. Can think of a few more, though, that should be on that.

This is great

154. Factotum says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Factotum,

Umm, did you take an English course with Garrett Epp at the U of A?

I’m afraid not. My time spent traipsing the halls of the Humanities Building predated Dr. Epp’s arrival by several years.

155. VanOil says:

The Oilers losing streak had me give up on Statistics and Fancy Stats in favor of Numerology, as reading the Parkatti column became too painful.

This winning streak has inspired me to take a stab at Astrophysics (like McCurdy but without the reason and knowledge);

1) Jordan Ebele was our first shooting star. He rounded his 21st year being a 34 goal scoring all star. He has only scored 37 goals this season and his NHL only pace will likely have full season equivalency of about 30 goals. In the eyes of some, the fact he is establishing himself as a consistent 30 goal scorer with big game pedigree, in a season he played with a broken finger, at the age of 22 makes him an over paid bum. I merely suggest he is a shooting star, burning just as bright, but hard to see when standing by;

2) Mr Champagne Supernova, the Gravitational force that is Taylor Hall. At 21 and finally injury free he is ready to reshape the NHL, pulling this team from obscurity to contender and perennially competing for the Hart trophy. Mistaken Natural Science types have tried to define him as a Potvain “Bull” or a Mess-like “Mouse” those of us in Astrophysics know him to be simply Supernova.

Oasis’s Champagne Supernova should immediately become the Oilers post goal song at Rexall in his honor:

How many special people change?
    How many lives are living strange?
    Where were you while we were getting high?
    Slowly walking down the HALL

Faster than a cannonball
    Where were you while we were getting high?
    Someday you will find me
    Caught beneath the landslide

In a champagne supernova in the sky
    Someday you will find me
    Caught beneath the landslide
    In a champagne supernova

3) This brings us to our third interstellar body. Ryan Nugent Hopkins. This body is quietly gaining Mass. Strengthing young shoulders that will one day bear the weight of the world. Will this star explode like the above two at the age of 21? I don’t think so, weaving magic skills in layers so dense it warps light; he will quietly go unnoticed by all not cleaver enough to look. When he is old enough to shave he will inherit Datsyuk’s mantel as the hockey players’ hockey player.

4) And now a young man who can already bend the rules of Physics with his shot. That Yakupov is an interstellar body is in no doubt. What he is ~ is unknown. How do we define this uncoached wilder; both a Russian and a Musulman, shy and respectful yet with unbridled enthusiasm and style. He has already faced multiple attacks from a bigoted and intolerant MSM looking to choke him into their antiquated and small minded notion of Hockey culture. He fits modern Hockey and modern Alberta to a tee. Hopefully he will out shine his detractors and redefine the game to his will. As for explosions of intergalactic import: Think of this, should he be provided even one line mate capable of St. Louis caliber dishes he should be able to rival Stamkos for the Richard trophy by the time he is 21. Oilers have such assets. His stick will rival Thor’s hammer and the cosmos shall know his name.

I will finish with a less than Scientific: Beat them Damn Nucks.

156. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oh fuck… that ruins the day… Roger Ebert died.

I found a lot of my favorite movies through him… if you get a chance watch

Night of the Hunter, Charles Laughton, 1955

157. jonrmcleod says:

LT, how accurate is your RE for Eberle now? He’s really started to pick up the pace.

158. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”:
    FPB94,

“Steve”…

This was brilliant.

JonR:

Eberle RE 44, 14-18-32 .727
    Actual: 36, 12-16-28 .778

160. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler,

Thank you, though I think I may regret not describing his zonestart as “hellish” (this is the sort of thing that keeps me up nights).

(Though I guess under some interpretations, that would be his zonefinish, post-fall.)

161. BlacqueJacque says:

I remember Hall being drafted, the interview and commentary about him on TSN and around the league, and one thing struck me in particular. His former coach said, when asked about Hall, that “he would take the net off its moorings with his teeth if that’s what it took to score a goal”. Then Hall, when interviewed, he said something like he wanted to go #1 so bad, he was shaking in his seat. I’ve never interpreted that as “I was so nervous, I was trembling”, but literally that he wanted to be the best so badly that he was shaking in his seat.

During his rookie and especially sophomore seasons, I tapered my expectations about his scoring – after all, you can’t draft a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin every year. I figured him sort of in the Toews mold of player – contributing offensively but being determined at both ends and above all being a leader. Not necessarily in the top 10 in scoring other than peak years, but almost certainly a great all-around player and leader.

And he’s absolutely blown those expectations away this season. He’s putting pucks in the net better, and he’s become an amazing playmaker, and he’s in the top 10 in scoring and third best in points per game. And he’s only 21 years old.

I mean really, when you think about it, there is a #1 pick every year. First overalls have careers that range anywhere from 10 to 20 years, so let’s say 15 on average. About 5 of those are peak years. So to make it to the top 10 is a feat for even a first overall. Then you consider all the other players being drafted and you realize that the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Stamkos (in that order, in 2010) were already drafted and the Sedins had a window, and there was Backstrom and Toews and Kane…

He’s third in points per-game behind Crosby and Stamkos, and I’d argue that Stamkos is not the better player. Neither advanced stats nor conventional +/- suggest he dominates play the way Hall does.

Regardless of what else Stu MacGregor does or how the rest of the prospects turn out, he got the single most important draft decision in Oilers history right. He drafted the best overall player with the first overall pick. Arguably he did so two more times (I much prefer Nuge’s all-around game to Huberdeau’s scoring and Landeskog would have forced someone to centre or been playing on the second line, while Yakupov is showing signs of being a unique talent in the NHL – to my eye there are no comparables to much of what he does.)

Good gravy I can’t stop talking about how good Hall is. My coworkers were sick of me by first coffee today.

162. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I almost cried.

163. Lucinius says:

Adam Hall hurt Lupul. I am now glad we did not claim him either time.

Yes, I’m a bastard.

164. Lucinius says:

Also, what the hell is up with Toronto not playing Gardiner?

We should try to trade for him in the off-season!

165. stevezie says:

"Steve Smith",

“Tough” was better, more subtle. Loved it. Sleep well.

166. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque: Yakupov is showing signs of being a unique talent in the NHL – to my eye there are no comparables to much of what he does.

Yaks kind of reminds me of Anthony Quinn in La Strada.

167. Ice Sage says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I remember Hall being drafted, the interview and commentary about him on TSN and around the league, and one thing struck me in particular.His former coach said, when asked about Hall, that “he would take the net off its moorings with his teeth if that’s what it took to score a goal”.Then Hall, when interviewed, he said something like he wanted to go #1 so bad, he was shaking in his seat.I’ve never interpreted that as “I was so nervous, I was trembling”, but literally that he wanted to be the best so badly that he was shaking in his seat.

During his rookie and especially sophomore seasons, I tapered my expectations about his scoring – after all, you can’t draft a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin every year.I figured him sort of in the Toews mold of player – contributing offensively but being determined at both ends and above all being a leader.Not necessarily in the top 10 in scoring other than peak years, but almost certainly a great all-around player and leader.

And he’s absolutely blown those expectations away this season.He’s putting pucks in the net better, and he’s become an amazing playmaker, and he’s in the top 10 in scoring and third best in points per game.And he’s only 21 years old.

I mean really, when you think about it, there is a #1 pick every year.First overalls have careers that range anywhere from 10 to 20 years, so let’s say 15 on average.About 5 of those are peak years.So to make it to the top 10 is a feat for even a first overall.Then you consider all the other players being drafted and you realize that the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Stamkos (in that order, in 2010) were already drafted and the Sedins had a window, and there was Backstrom and Toews and Kane…

He’s third in points per-game behind Crosby and Stamkos, and I’d argue that Stamkos is not the better player.Neither advanced stats nor conventional +/- suggest he dominates play the way Hall does.

Regardless of what else Stu MacGregor does or how the rest of the prospects turn out, he got the single most important draft decision in Oilers history right.He drafted the best overall player with the first overall pick.Arguably he did so two more times (I much prefer Nuge’s all-around game to Huberdeau’s scoring and Landeskog would have forced someone to centre or been playing on the second line, while Yakupov is showing signs of being a unique talent in the NHL – to my eye there are no comparables to much of what he does.)

Good gravy I can’t stop talking about how good Hall is.My coworkers were sick of me by first coffee today.

Totally agree.
    A lot of things have gone right for #4 this year – health, maturity, steadiness of linemates (counting OKC), even the benching message that coach knows he should be awesome.
    To mine simple eyes, he’s simply taking the puck to the net (and good things happen)

168. VanOil says:

I am out of practice in this out of town score board/game watching. Chicago gets a break and I react Oh No and then I realize I want them to win.

169. cabbiesmacker says:

hunter1909: This blog needs more lion talk.

I’d be lion to ya if I said I didn’t agree.

170. VanOil says:

cabbiesmacker: I’d be lion to ya if I said I didn’t agree.

Oh Meowww

171. striatic says:

the main thing Yak needs to do to take a step forward is gain some strength.

Hall has become stronger over the years and now is dominant on the cycle, something which will take Yak some time to learn and grow into.

Yak is a very strong young man as it is, so i think this is just a matter of time as he fills out his frame a little more and learns how to use it.

if you look at Yakupov’s game log, you can see him move from a routinely minus player, to an even player, and now hopefully onto being a routinely plus player.

172. cabbiesmacker says:

BlacqueJacque:
    cabbiesmacker,

The number one thing that might happen to the Hawks is that their goaltending comes back to earth.Crawford and Emery have already regressed from their hot starts.If both goalies slump, it is tough for any team to win a series.Even the mighty Blackhawks.

Hawks goaltending is ok. Crawford was actually good in the playoffs last year excepting one weakie in every damn overtime.

I actually think, and never thought I would, that the Oilers have the edge at C. Toews is far and away the best on either team but after him it gets damn thin for the Hawks. Bolland, bad year, Shaw, young, and Marcus Kreuger, not there yet, ain’t world beaters.

I just tell Hossa to sic Hall and watch the matchup unfold. Two damn good players there.

Hawks 3rd and 4th are a lot better than the Oilers.

Hell, flip a coin but there’s just one thing….Oilers have to make it there first. Hawks are in and practising.

173. VanOil says:

Alain Vigneault claiming the Hall took them to school last time out and that line dominated the Canucks like few lines have in a long time. (see TSN video)

I take this as high praise and a warning that the Canucks will be prepared.

174. Captain Happy says:

1-0 STL over the Hawks.

175. striatic says:

VanOil: I take this as high praise and a warning that the Canucks will be prepared.

guessing there’s a lot of looking at video of what Hall did to them last game and identifying mistakes.

wonder if Hall can look at the same video and try to predict what they will be trying to do to stop him.

176. hunter1909 says:

cabbiesmacker: I’d be lion to ya if I said I didn’t agree.

Oiler’s expect to come roaring out of the gate tonight.

177. spoiler says:

cabbiesmacker: I’d be lion to ya if I said I didn’t agree.

Principe, is that you?

178. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909: Oiler’s expect to come roaring out of the gate tonight.

Well that’s the mane ‘game’ plan

179. sliderule says:

Man a lot of you folks are poetic .

I am an engineer and the anti poetic.

Love reading your stuff with great envy.

We should lose tonite but with luck win on Saturday.

Don’t give up!!

180. striatic says:

sliderule: Man a lot of you folks are poetic .
    I am an engineer and the anti poetic.

there is something ironically poetic about rhyming poetic with poetic.

181. Bar_Qu says:

sliderule,

That was worthy of poetry fingersnapping.

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: there is something ironically poetic about rhyming poetic with poetic.

First rule of rhyming: everything rhythms with itself.

183. VanOil says:

Chicago has tied STL 1-1 early 2nd period.

Edit 2-1 Chi

184. justDOit says:

I worked with someone who met Howe at a sports dinner in S’toon in the 90s. After shaking hands with Howe, my friend commented on the size of Gordie’s mitts, only have have Howe reply with something like how the girls all used to love them.

185. hunter1909 says:

VanOil:
    Chicago has tied STL 1-1 early 2nd period.

Edit 2-1 Chi

186. Lucinius says:

Need Chicago to finish off this win over St. Louis, and I’d prefer Nashville win over Columbus because I think the former will have a worse stretch run than Columbus. Then if Phoenix can win over Detroit and we can pull out a win tonight…

Heatley for Minnesota looks like he’ll be out for awhile.. so he might miss one or both of the games against the Oilers.

187. VanOil says:

hunter1909: There appears to be truth in those Bouwmeester getting paid off by Katz rumours, judging by the way he’s managed to help fuck up the Flames, and currently Oiler’s 8th place rivals.

I like the exporting turnstyles theory of hockey management. Tonight’s exhibit A hopefully will be one Cam Barker.

188. 42 percent body fat says:

jonrmcleod,

agree, and that why I said it would be hard to tinker with the line up. However I am close to the end of finding hemsky useful to this team. He will be in the playoffs but next year he has to be on the third line.

Too bad we didnt know if we would make the playoffs for sure. If so Hemsky for Foresberg would have been nice.

189. Southern Oil says:

I haven’t wiped the smile off my face all day from last night’s affair. Looking forward to tonight’s game. If we can just keep putting points on the board.

190. Captain Happy says:

Gaborik with 1G 1A.

CLB leads NSH 2-1

191. striatic says:

Southern Oil: If we can just keep putting points on the board.

Khabibulin has to play well also.

192. spoiler says:

Southern Oil:
    I haven’t wiped the smile off my face all day from last night’s affair.Looking forward to tonight’s game.If we can just keep putting points on the board.

Down here, I got to talk to Flames fans all day… And if for some reason, I was sans fans for too long, I’d text one. Politely inquire about their day and how they felt, lol.

Tough to feel hungover when you’re griinning and walking on clouds.

193. delooper says:

Southern Oil:

As long as the Oilers keep beating the Flames like this, I’ll be totally content. They could get blown-out 10-0 by the Canucks tonight and I won’t care. I hope the Oilers do, but me, I’m happy.

194. Southern Oil says:

spoiler: Down here, I got to talk to Flames fans all day…And if for some reason, I was sans fans for too long, I’d text one. Politely inquire about their day and how they felt, lol.

Tough to feel hungover when you’re griinning and walking on clouds.

LOL! I’ve been waiting for these moments for 6 f’in years. I was falling asleep at my desk all day today at work. The time change (EST) kills me. I wouldn’t have it any other way though.

DET 1 – 0

Come on Coyotes!

195. striatic says:

Bluejackets ahead by 2 in the 3rd against Predators.

good news.

Coyotes beating the Wings would almost be too much to ask for if both the Preds and Blues lose.

196. Captain Happy says:

3-1 Columbus

197. Zelepukin says:

striatic: i still think Yakupov has the most promise of all the young Oilers, even more than Hall. if anything i wish he’d play with more abandon, for entertainment’s sake, but he’s been very smart about developing other aspects of his game.

I was always skeptical of Hallsy going supernova until this season. I knew he’d eventually put up good numbers like top 20 range, but right now he is playing like a perennial top5 player. Having said that, I have no doubts Yaks will score 50 in his career at some point.

Overall though, my choice is still Nuge. Once he builds strength I can see him playing a game very similar to Crosby but with even better intelligence with the puck. Every game he surprises me on the little things you just don’t see other players do. He is going to put up some ridiculous assist numbers in his career.

198. Ribs says: