OILERS AT CANUCKS G37 (12-13)

The Oilers have a 42.1% chance to make the playoffs this morning and in fact hold down the 8th and final playoff spot. Taylor Hall is 5, 6-8-14 +9 during the recent streak and those numbers are positively Herculean.

8th placeThat’s a beautiful sight, Oilers inside the playoffs. There’s a long way to go, but this represents a turning point along the way to contending for the Stanley. Which team will falter and allow the Oilers in? I don’t think it will be St. Louis, but Detroit, San Jose and (believe it or not) Vancouver may be vulnerable.

Tonight’s game is massive. I don’t think you can count on the Oilers to win, but if they do it would represent another statement game. Saturday night in Rexall against the Canucks, last night against the Flames, and tonight against Vancouver all in one week? Should that happen, we might be talking about this week well into the future–years.

scoring race

It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? My oh my, that looks very good. Hall is 7th in NHL scoring, 3rd in the real conference and he could pass a few more names before mile 48.

5x5hall

Hall leads the western conference in 5×5/60. LEADS IT!

Parkatti’s numbers are up and they confirm many, many things:

• The Hall line moves the chains like clockwork
  • The 2line is better but still not where it needs to be
  • Horcoff is central to this team’s success
  • Yakupov is pushing now, it’s going to get crazy very soon
  • The 4line needs work
  • Smid-Petry are solid
  • Potter seems to be moving up the depth chart

smid1

Last night’s even strength minutes for D

1. Smid 18:32
  2. J Schultz 17:58
  3. Petry 17:48
  4. Whitney 17:04
  5. Potter 16:00
  6. N Schultz 14:21

Nick Schultz has been playing fewer minutes of late, I wonder if he’s nursing an injury? Anyway, coach Krueger seems to have little worry about moving Potter up or sending Smid, J Schultz or Petry over the boards a time or two. Are we seeing some kind of morphing among the blue? Potter from 6-7 to 5? Whitney from 5-6  to 4? Nick Schultz to the back of the line?

Or is it injury?

YakupovCelebrates

Something unusual happened last night. Ralph Krueger didn’t call off the dogs–in fact, he seemed to be increasing the skill shifts and using his 1PP late in the game when it was a laugher. My theory is he didn’t like the Flames taking liberties and decided to exact his own justice. Could be wrong, maybe he just wanted to see the horses run free like the rest of us.

Absolutely nothing against anyone, but this kid Yakupov needs to be playing with the gifted players. Next year for sure.

About tonight:

weir4

456 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G37 (12-13)"

« Older Comments
  1. spoiler says:

Ribs:
    Spector has lost his marbles.

I’m too scared to look. On the other hand “Steve’s” link was most enjoyable.

2. Lucinius says:

How was that chop not called? Christ.

3. Ice Sage says:

VanOil: I have ran into the Sedin’s around town a few times. They are good blokes. Even posed for pictures with some drunken friends (Oiler Fans half in the bag from there flight out here) on there way to the beat down last weekend. They donated 1 million dollars to the local children hospital.

I still want to see them lose though.

Hey, they’ve had their day and will be the first Canucks in the HOF. If I met them, I’d see if they really could cut piss

4. Suntory Hanzo says:

Is this not a really boring game?

5. "Steve Smith" says:

Suntory Hanzo,

I’m not posting links to classical music comedy because I’m enthralled by the play.

6. Chris says:

This is the kind of game where I miss Ryan Jones randomly banking a timely goal in off his ass.

7. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    So the telethon volunteers have their names shown on tv; then a manaic stalks one of the hotter women and invokes the “telethon defense” to beat the eventual rap.

They are hockey wives maybe they get lonely.

8. spoiler says:

Looks like Schneider has this shutout locked up.

9. spoiler says:

spoiler:
    Looks like Schneider has this shutout locked up.

I think you just got reverse hexed… Dumbass.

10. Ice Sage says:

spoiler:
    Looks like Schneider has this shutout locked up.

I like what you did there – aw crap. thud

11. bookje says:

Danis would have had that.

12. Chris says:

I think three nothing for the dys is the point I start browsing netflicks….

13. Lucinius says:

The defenseman has to take that pass option away. God damn, its basic hockey.

Christ. Schneider from One Day at a Time was more entertaining than this game. Oh well. Saturday’s coming.

15. spoiler says:

spoiler: I think you just got reverse hexed… Dumbass.

Definitely reverse hexed.

16. bookje says:

Here comes the pressure!!

17. "Steve Smith" says:

This is on Smithson for having a baby.

18. spoiler says:

“Steve”…

He lost me at “Hi Internet”.

Doesn’t he know we’re the people and he’s the internet?

Ryan Smyth with the Amsterdam hooker there, no call. Holy.

20. VanOil says:

If the had Oilers put in the same effort we did, being smart arses on this blog all day, playing hockey the result may have been different.

21. "Steve Smith" says:

This feels more like a 4-0 game than a 3-1 game.

22. spoiler says:

Has Paajarvi been taking Eberle lessons?

#stickhandleinaphonebooth

23. Lucinius says:

They are trying to kill Hemsky :(

24. Gerta Rauss says:

This game is dull as dishwater. Yawn.

25. Lucinius says:

Powerplay has let us down tonight, amongst other things.

No puck luck, either.

26. spoiler says:

bookje:
    Here comes the pressure!!

Too much chocolate will do that to you.

27. GordM says:

what horrible rebound control by Khabby on that 4th goal. I know it doesn’t matter but yikes.

28. Lucinius says:

Ugh.

Deserved to lose. Pretty poor effort and you could tell the Oilers were a mixture of bang up and dead tired. Had hoped for better effort. Now we’ll get to see how they bounce back against the Kings.

29. kinger says:

Sorry bookie I missed your post.

You really disagree with my assessment? Are you still watching the game?

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:
    This feels more like a 4-0 game than a 3-1 game.

yup.

31. Genjutsu says:

#Should have sold.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well.. that was flat out terrible.

the high of those CAL games is going to give them a marginal pass here… better luck next time gents.

33. icecastles says:

Gave up halfway through the third to go read The Neverending Story.

(The children’s fantasy novel. Not the book about the Oilers rebuild)

34. spoiler says:

icecastles:
    Gave up halfway through the third to go read The Neverending Story.

Did you finish it?

35. bookje says:

kinger,

I think Khabibulin is one of the better backups in the league this year with modest usage.

The Oilers were dominated tonight – the scoring chances were extremely lopsided. I don’t think playing Dubnyk would matter, nor would it matter which backup was in. So, yes, I think the goalie was irrelevant tonight in general.

With that said, I didn’t see the final goal so it could have been terrible, but it doesn’t seem to matter at that point.

36. kinger says:

.857
    .810
    .1000
    .880

Do you really think that Khabibulin belongs in the NHL at this point in his career? Do you really think that his current SV% is indicative of his talent level? He’s started 9 games this year, and those are his last four.

37. kinger says:

You think he is one of the better backups? Well, then I guess there is no point having a discussion, because if that is your starting point then we would just be wasting our time.

Good night.

38. kinger says:

One more quick thing: The NHL is a highly competitive environment, and the difference between good teams and bad teams is the good ones consistently make small moves that improve their team, and the bad ones do the opposite.

Guess which side the Oilers fall on?

39. spoiler says:

kinger:
    Sorry bookie I missed your post.

You really disagree with my assessment? Are you still watching the game?

Was that the game where the Oilers didn’t score?

40. bookje says:

kinger:
    .857
    .810
    .1000
    .880

He’s a backup and his last four game contain two or three of his worst 9 games of the season, so you are kind of Cherry picking stats. His overall save percentage going into the game was .930. Most backups are hovering between .915-.900 mark this season and a quick glance at their game by game Save percentage is similarly erratic.

Look, I am not arguing that he should be re-signed, mostly because there is no long term potential and the very real likelyhood that he could fall of the cliff in terms of performance, however, if you are going to argue that he is a terrible backup, then please take the time to slot him in amongst the other 30 or so backup goalies. While doing that, consider who you would have gotten and at what cost while buying out or sitting NK. If your answer is Yann Danis – don’t bother.

41. bookje says:

kinger:

Good night.

That made me laugh – was it supposed to?

42. Ribs says:

Sucks to be Krueger after this one. Kid line didn’t buy into the game plan and paid dearly for it.

Nuge goes 1-9 against Henrik on the faceoff. He’s got some work to do.

Khabibulin played okay. No offence was the killer in this one. Too many soft passes and not hard enough on the puck. Plain and simple.

Beating up on the lowly flames is one thing, matching the play of a legit veteran squad is another.

I root for Gagner but he needs to be better defensively. When defencemen go walkabout he needs to recognise and react a hell of a lot faster.

Wish I had a replay of that too many men call. Did our guy actually touch the puck? Could have been a very important call in this game.

Yakupov impressed the most tonight. Seemed to be one of the few with any urgency in his game.

43. bookje says:

Ribs:

I don’t think it’s necessary to touch the puck. Certainly, the Oilers sent out an extra man and they were alll meters from the bench – it wasn’t just a slow change, it was two guys jumping on the ice and into the play when only one guy came off.

Tonight Yakupov reminded me of Hall, back when Hall was tearing it up and scoring like 5 points per game.

44. Bushed says:

Lowe said this was going to be a benchmark game. Because apparently this management team wants to measure (“evaluate”) the team AFTER the trade deadline.

So what results do you see, Kevin?

Whitney: sure glad we didn’t let this treasure go for future assets.
    Potter: when he stops falling over and learns to skate will likely have great poise. Another keeper. Also obviously a physical force to be reckoned with.
    Khabby: two weak goals, but we need to re-sign him for another year of veteran locker-room support.
    Gagner: great shot block on the 5 on 3, still finds lower gear on backcheck, still gets lost in own zone. And with his point production this year, probably couldn’t have gotten much for him anyway, right?
    Jones: did he do anything at all tonight? OK, one whack at the puck. Better keep him, too.
    Kreuger: ignore or get schooled on line matchups, put Gags out on the 5 on 3 (for his awesome faceoff ability and D zone play), didn’t put Yak (a rare player with some jump tonight) with real skill, didn’t respond to Canuck cheap shots, overplayed Smyth who was obviously gassed, didn’t play Fistric, didn’t call up Harski (who needs size and grit when you can intimidate with speed and skill?)….

But as Tambo says, let’s reward the players for their hard work this year. Sure Steve, cause we know the team is going all the way this year, right? Wouldn’t want to look too far ahead, say all the way to next year, by selling off some of the “assets” we have this year to make room for contracts and garner a few more trading chips, or (heaven forbid) perhaps even get a real NHL player.

Oh well, too late for this trade deadline.

Guess we’ll have to wait for another summer of stellar GM’ing (like last year’s). Can’t wait.

45. jb says:

a bit disappointing but this was a should win for the lame ass nucks.. only 2 behind Detroit!

46. spoiler says:

3rd game in 4 nights, travelling against a team who has been home for a few days. Natural letdown after the big win last night… If I could’ve bet tonight it would have been hard on the Canucks. I’m not surprised they lost tonight. There was some pushback in the Oil’s game, but they looked as mentally tired as they appeared physically. And there were no happy bounces on the opportunities they did create, something they needed to give their legs some life tonight. If Bieksa doesn’t get his stick just there, does that puck blow by the out-of-position Schneider and into the top corner? Would that have made a difference to the outcome? Impossible to say for sure, and likely not, but this is a team that likes to score in bunches (which sounds familiar somehow), so it might happen in more than a couple of the possible universes/timelines.

47. G Money says:

goldenchild:

Tonight is as about a bad a spot as the Oil can be in, I do enough gambling to know the Sharps love situations like this because they pay on such high probability.Oil playing 2nd of back to backs on the road and 3rd in 4 nights.Plus they are coming off a monster win and for the first time in forever have climbed into the 8th spot, everyone will be patting them on the back today,its a natural let down spot.On the other side you have rested vet team who is coming off a couple of tough road losses plus looking for revenge for Sat night.If we can get a point tonight its a great result.

Props – nailed it.

48. gogliano says:

Even 2 out of 4 points in SoCal will be a decent result.

This is a team that does well at home and keeping pace until we have 7 of 9 at home sets them up nicely for a run.

49. spoiler says:

Agreed on Yakupov, he had a good game. If a light or two has come on, it’s pretty amazing development for such a short stint. But that shortness is a problem too; I’d like to see a bigger sample size to be sure he has really taken steps. The pugnacious aspect of his game is a beaut too. He looks like he’s gonna be built like a tank. He could be a real serious force when he is in his man body.

But damn we have some nice totems at forward…

Hall — Bull (Moose? No, more like Bull Shark I think… lightning quick, predatory, always hungry)
    Yak — Tank (Not Soviet WW2… wide track T90 firepower)
    Ebs — Surgeon (The brains, the hands and the scalpel for it)
    Nuge–Eagle (swooping speed, preys on puck-carriers, and has the eye thereof)

That’s right, folks, totem analysis, It doesn’t get any math-ier than this.

50. spoiler says:

G Money: Props – nailed it.

I thought that had been said already.

I can’t really get too down about this game, I didn’t have high expectations in the first place.

51. maudite says:

Nucks at home and pissed. Was hoping we’d somehow manage to 3 point game this but wasn’t holding my breath.

Downside:

Average points of the 8 teams in the playoffs and CBJ’s over the last 10 games: 12.7

Oilers: 13

Nobody is sinking at all.

Min -> Pominville
    Van -> Roy
    CBJ -> Gaborik
    Stl -> Leopold and Bouwmester

Plus side:

9th in the west, 18th in the league is a lot higher than I thought we’d be going into the year.

Regardless of schedule, Detroit is the one you likely hop scotch to get in. If we take similar advantage of Anaheim that they did, we should be close. The ducks 21st ranked PK is an encouraging sign if we can hold it together at ES.

.500+ on this road trip is still doable

52. bookje says:

I hate the Oilers. They’re horrible.

53. Ducey says:

LT,

The Barons signed Joey Leach from the Ice to an amateur tryout. Details at the OKC website.

Looks like an interesting signing.

54. russ99 says:

I was mildly perturbed at playing Khabibulin tonight,but a banged up gassed team playing a road back-to-back, in hindsight was a smart move to give Dubey a break before the home stretch.

Also, after this California trip we have 7 home games and 2 road which is a big advantage over our all our playoff spot rivals except the Blues.

55. G Money says:

spoiler: I thought that had been said already.

Most of the ‘had been said’ were said after the game (though 20/20 hindsight is better than no hindsight at all, hello Tambo) … I had to give props to goldenchild because (I think) he was the first one to put forward that line of thinking, he did it well BEFORE the game, and he did it well…

Since I usually only post when I disagree with someone or want to modify what they’d posted, I feel it is important to give kudos when something is posted that I not only agree with, but is expressed well and in a timely way!

56. maudite says:

bookje:
    I hate the Oilers.They’re horrible.

One slight correction:

I hate the Oiler’s management. They are horrible.

« Older Comments