OILERS AT FLAMES G36 (12-13) 3.4.13

I went into today hoping the Oilers would acquire Mark Streit, Ben Bishop, a 4line C for depth and if they had to add a physical winger let it be Glencross or Torres or someone like that (who could take/make a pass and add to the skill set).

The club acquired Jerred Smithson for a 4th rd pick to address center depth, and apparently tried to get Bishop out of Ottawa with Ryan Jones and a pick (rumored). I also know they wanted a physical winger, but was pleased they didn’t offer the winning bid on Raffi Torres (it would have taken a 2nd rd pick to get him).

Those are the positives.

The negatives? They didn’t unload any of the veteran UFA’s (Khabibulin, Jones, Whitney, Fistric) and still have 8 defensemen. I also worry they may be thinking of signing some of those UFA’s this summer. Finally, they didn’t make room for Hartikainen and I believe he’s earned the stretch run. Oh well, injuries will take care of it.

The major negative? The Oilers players and the fans deserve a better defense, a stronger 6-man unit who can stay away from 40-second shifts of carnage. If you look very hard you can actually see the problem:

whitney99

Steve  Tambellini’s press conference (I caught it in the car) runs at exact cross purposes with this graph. If we ever wanted to know if the Edmonton Oilers are in lock step with advanced stats, shame on us for not knowing now.

Toronto Maple Leafs v Nashville Predators

Smithson took a hammering in the comments section of my blog today, although I think it’s meant for Steve Tambellini. Smithson isn’t Jim Dowd, or Boyd Gordon, or any number of effective 4line centermen who roam the earth at any given time. Still, he’s a veteran who will allow Ryan Smyth to move over to his natural position and the Oilers to choose between Mike Brown and Lennart Petrell on the other wing. He cost a 4th rd pick, but that’s not exactly high cotton and I’d rather pay high for an expiring contract. Maybe Lander’s ready next fall, or maybe the Oilers will find a solution through free agency, but Smithson is a stop gap and that’s reflected in the price. Faceoffs, penalty kill, hell he’ll even make people happy because he has a large number of hits.

His CorsiRel is second last among Florida forwards, he has the toughest zone start and he’s delivering about as much 5×5/60 as Ryan Smyth this season. He’s good on faceoffs.

VERY ANGRY

If you’re asking me to get angry at the Edmonton Oilers tonight, I’ll gladly do it. However, I’m going to start and end with the decision to keep Whitney and failure to launch on acquiring an upgrade to replace him. I began my post this morning “I’ve written more words about the blue than anything else on this blog, and when it comes to the Oilers the river leads to an ocean” and begin this evening wondering if there’s anything bigger than an ocean.

THE REAL PROBLEM

Paltrow

About tonight:

weir4

Oilers have to win tonight. They’re the better club and they could wake up tomorrow morning in a playoff spot. After these long months of bad nights, tonight could be a very good one for the Oilers and the fans.

Finally!

521 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES G36 (12-13) 3.4.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. CrazyCoach says:

I was disappointed that they couldn’t rid themselves of some pricey contracts such as Khabi, Whitney, and Belanger, for at least some picks.

Thanks for putting up the picture of Stan Weir. I knew there was a reason I wore #21 outside of my Swedish ancestry.

2. Smarmy says:

Yeah kind of seems like they could of still said they wanted to make the playoffs but dealt a few guys that they had internal solutions for.

No reason for Khabby or Jones to still be here imho. I guess I’m alright wtih Whitney hanging around.

Now they’ll probably try and sign them all and be hard up against 50 contracts a lose a guy like Gernat.

3. hunter1909 says:

Smarmy: No reason for Khabby or Jones to still be here imho.

2006 finals, game 1 says hello.

4. Kris11 says:

Yeah, Whitney is the center of the Oilers problems right now.

At the beginning of the season, we all seemed to recognize that the Oilers needed Hemsky and Whitney to play very well to make the playoffs, especially Whitney given how there aren’t enough established top 4 D-men on this team.

Whitney has been awful, as was predicted by a lot of people, which means the Oilers don’t have a top 4 D that is far below league average. And it is hard to make the playoffs with a below average D.

Improving the top 4 D was obviously the biggest need for this team and it hasn’t been met, even with a half-measure.

5. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“today’s events imply Steve Tambellini has the age old Oiler problem of not being able to part with his own additions. If Steve Tambellini can’t flush Nikolai Khabibulin and Ryan Whitney, we’re as doomed as doomed can be.”

I’m OK with the Oilers renting these guys to RK IF the right replacement rentals or long term solutions weren’t on the the table.

It’s more than an implication if these guys are back next year.

6. bookje says:

Keeping NK is important if this team wants to make the playoffs unless you bring someone else in. The price for Bishop was high.

I didn’t hear Tambellini’s presser, but will listen. I also think that NONE of the Oilers management is in tune with advanced stats (MacT included) and this is why they can’t make good decisions regarding NHL level talent. Other teams are using more and better information in their decision making.

7. hunter1909 says:

Tambellini’s not getting fired – if anything he’s getting a raise. His tone was barely contained anger during his interview this week, at everyone at Lowetide who differs with him.

He probably reads this blog every day, before heading to work to face the daily behind his back snickers, from Lowe/MacT + others.

I’m expecting another big game from Camallari tonight – pointlessly heading into the zone, with no one having a clue what do do once he gains it…followed by an Oilers rush and 45 seconds of possession – finished off with a great scoring chance.

I’m trying to think of nice things to say about Horcoff…um…let’s hope the captain has another great game. What a leader.

8. Lucinius says:

I already went through why I don’t think the Oilers did much of anything today, in the last thread, and I really think I was right (naturally!). But I do wish the Oilers could have improved their situation. Swap Jones for something better. Swap Petrell for something better. Swap Whitney for something (much) better. And yes, I wish they’d swap Lowe/Tambellini for something, anything, better.

I just don’t think the circumstances really allowed for any of it.

Hopefully we win tonight, however, and manage to pull something out of the Vancouver game. Tough sledding ahead for the Oilers. I pegged them to finish 8-10th in the conference so I’m pretty content with where they are right now.

9. Factotum says:

Reading the comments in the trade deadline thread, I decided that Stevens’ “The Snow Man” could have been written about The Oilers Fan c.2013. I offer it without further comment, other than to note that we have been cold for a long time:
    ____________________________________

One must have a mind of winter
    To regard the frost and the boughs
    Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time
    To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
    The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think
    Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
    In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land
    Full of the same wind
    That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,
    And, nothing himself, beholds
    Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

10. hunter1909 says:

bookje: I suspect that Whitney didn’t garner much interest and that it wasn’t worth dumping him for a 4th when he is liked in the room. Keeping Hall and co happy is now a factor.

Absolutely. Whitney has issues, but he still has a good first pass and he’s combative as hell. Whatever Hall wants, Hall gets.

11. GordM says:

Must admit…slightly worried they are looking past this game tonight to the Vancouver game tomorrow. Heck…even Lowe is talking about that one already:

“This is where we wanted to be at this point in the season. Playing meaningful games. Games that mean a lot,” said president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe. “When you go into Vancouver on Thursday, that’s going to be a lion’s den. We’re going to see what we’re made of in there.

12. hunter1909 says:

If they make the playoffs, there isn’t a single blogger in here who didn’t give up on them prior to their turnaround.

Of course, everyone having given up on them probably sparked the revival. :P

13. PaperDesigner says:

Is everyone forgetting that the incompetence that is the modern Oilers could still lose to Calgary tonight?

14. BlacqueJacque says:

I’ve noticed less of Potter on the ice, less criticism of him online, and to my great surprise*, my gut feelings are in line with statistics.

*I also happen to be a fan of Petrell and Jones.

That problem isn’t solved at the deadline, its solved in the summer.

Long term solutions don’t often happen at the TDD.

Steve Tambellini’s press conference (I caught it in the car) runs at exact cross purposes with this graph. If we ever wanted to know if the Edmonton Oilers are in lock step with advanced stats, shame on us for not knowing now.

I missed it, care to expand?

If I had to guess it would be that he felt that keeping the players gave them the best chance to make the playoffs.

Its total crap in regards to Jones. Jones playing 3LW instead of Smyth has directly caused that line to be dominated in shots.

In terms of Whitney, he’s had better games of late and can make a first pass, but Gregor has been going on about 6 making that pass to 4-193-14 and if you “watch the games” you see 93 getting low to get the first 10ft pass from the D and being the actual outlet passer on that line.

In terms of Fistric or Peckham. Well, I have no clue.

He’s also tied with Goc for TOI/60 4v5, so he’s 1PK.

He also has a SA/60 4v5 of 42.9 which puts him ahead of Belanger (53.9, worst of Oiler PK regulars)

So there’s that.

16. VanOil says:

I reflect on http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5718 comparison of Oilers fans and Russian Serfdom. Given that I have been conditioned to expect absolute treacherousness behavior from Oilers management from long before the Tambo the Terrible era, today was not a bad day. (Calgary could ruin that quickly)

My serf born spidey sense has me worried that this might mean that Tambo might invite Bullin, Whitney, and Kones (edit:sic) back to play next year and I poo my pants a little. But this is not reality yet and hopefully never will be.

As for today’s actual transaction it may be a month to late and a dollar to much but it needed to be done. RK showed no inclination for dressing Lander over Smyth as 4th line center. Make the playoffs or not it this move means Yak gets to play with and learn from both Smyth and Horcoff for 10 straight games, therefore we are winners in the deadline sweepstakes.

If we accept the primary reason in keeping Whitney is to inspire Hall to carry us to the promised land I propose the following fancy stat measurement: any increase in Hall’s CorsiRel from this point forward be accredited to Whitney, he will need the help.

I expect the Oilers to lose tonight.

They were thoroughly outplayed last game, including the 1st where score effects had yet to take effect.

I’d put it at 60% on CAL (which still means EDM wins 40% of the time), but they got rid of two players who had poorer RelCor and they are not playing the worst starting goalie in the NHL.

They got lucky last game, and the game before.

You cannot predict when a team scores 3 on 4 shots or 2 on 2 shots, but it doesn’t happen often.

Also,

I blame RK for not having 4-93-14 together during the losing streak more than a 4C.

They killed opposition, including out shooting Thornton, Pisscutters and others, and just had bad puck luck and he broke them up.

Terrible, horrible move fueled by superstition more than anything else.

The coaching and management have the ability to do more harm to this team than anyone else in the NHL.

I hope they don’t fuck it up.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

18. Lucinius says:

Clowe’s got 1 goal, 2 assists already, and there’s still 5:41 left in the 1st period, hah.

19. Rondo says:

A truer description of Steve Tambellini would be difficult to find!

“While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old Texas rancher, whose hand was caught in a gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to politics and then they discussed some new guy who was far too big for his shoes as a politician.

The old rancher said, ‘Well, ya know, he is a post turtle’. Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a ‘post turtle’ was.

The old rancher said, ‘When you’re driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that’s a ‘post turtle’.

The old rancher saw a puzzled look on the doctor’s face, so he continued to explain. ‘You know he didn’t get up there by himself, he doesn’t belong up there, he doesn’t know what to do while he is up there, and you just wonder what kind of a dumb ass put him up there in the first place”

STEVE TAMBELLINI is a post turtle.

20. Maverick says:

Trade deadline day in Edmonton as usual…..Meh! Same old same old. As LT so perfectly put it above.

“The real problem might be this: today’s events imply Steve Tambellini has the age old Oiler problem of not being able to part with his own additions. If Steve Tambellini can’t flush Nikolai Khabibulin and Ryan Whitney, we’re as doomed as doomed can be.”

That is really the problem with this Steve Tambellini group from the day he was hired. Asset management, from signing incorrect players (Khabby, Barker, Belanger, Foster, etc), trading for the wrong players, and not able to let go of their own mistakes for a return. Some of the signings such as Eager didn’t work out because of injury but the key to any organization is asset management either way. Kenny Rogers song ‘the Gambler’ is playing in my head….”know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run….”

I understand not trying to mess with the optics in the room and trading away a player while they are on the cusp of a playoff spot but not having the ability to bring in help for that dressing room over the past 18 months what message does that send??

I will cheer for my beloved team and the crest on my jersey, for them to make the playoffs but if they don’t and this “standing pat” smacks the management and the owner in the face to make upper management moves in the summer, than so be it, and maybe in the end that won’t be such a bad thing.

Tyler brought up the 2003 trade deadline when 2 late trades shocked the team.

Anson Carter out and Janne Niinimaa out.

Pat referenced Captain Smith escorting a tearful Janne out of the room.

That has to have impact.

Not sure if Whitney (maybe) has that impact or Jones (know for sure it doesn’t), but sometimes maximizing value has other unintended consequences.

Sometimes.

22. BlacqueJacque says:

Anybody else think that LT should have Woodguy post some pointer-counterpoint-question type blog posts? They really bring the best out of each other.

23. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I do not think keeping Whitney for this reason is crazy. I also think that the Hannan and Redden returns show that the Murray trade was an otherwise excellent GM getting drunk and clicking “accept trade” more than it was an indicator of the market for D-men. Maybe there really wasn’t a good deal to be had.

That said, I remain confused as to why we decided to keep all 8, and have yet to recover from my confusion as to our lack of interest in Roszival or the like all those months ago.

WG: Tambellini on Whitney:

1. the fact that he’s playing well
    2. his ability to move the puck is something that we desperately need.

25. bookje says:

2. his ability to move the puck is something that we desperately need.

This seems like a good sign, management understands that their defence are terrible at advancing the puck.

26. bookje says:

Woodguy,

I think shipping guys out, even these guys, without replacing them with NHL talent would have made Hall and co feel like management was throwing away their chance at the playoffs.

That kind of sour mood is not worth a few draft picks.

If the Oilers make the playoffs and give the Hawks some difficulty, then signing Free Agents will be easier over the summer. The Oilers will seem like a team on the rise.

27. bookje says:

I wonder if the Oilers still think they have something in Peckham, but are unwilling to risk games by playing him?

28. bill needle says:

The reason why the Oilers weren’t able to trade Whitney, Jones, Belanger, Petrell, Khabibulin and the rest of the ragamuffins is that the rest of the league knows what the Oilers management doesn’t. All those guys are done like dinner.
    They weren’t able to trade them away because there was no demand for them. This blog has been dumping on that sad lot for two years for nothing.
    It’s too bad the Oilers couldn’t deal any of them away – even for future considerations, like a shooter tutor – because getting rid of these guys would be addition through subtraction.

29. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy:

That problem isn’t solved at the deadline, its solved in the summer.

Long term solutions don’t often happen at the deadline

And that’s the rub. As FPB94 stated earlier. When the guy making the moves is constantly screwing up the small deals, how can you possibly have faith in him to make a major move? We should all be shaking in fear based on his track record.

30. Smarmy says:

bill needle:

Belanger is likely unmoveable but I could see just about any of those others finding a team that would use them this year.

bill needle:

I don’t agree. Jones and Khabibulin may not have fetched top 100 picks (in return) but Whitney sure as hell would have (based on the going rate into today).

32. VanOil says:

STEVE SMITH
    As there have been recent criticism of this Blogs commentators deviation from Stats and your focus sometimes not being directly on hockey I feel l owe you an answer to your query based on numbers I proposed yesterday.

I am 100% certain that if we win tonight I will be 50% more certain that we will make the playoffs but 75% certain that number would dive by 60% if we followed it up with a loss to the Canucks. As for the teams we are chasing STL has got 16.5% better by addition, where the Sharks got 22.5% better by subtraction. Detroit has stayed the same 19 times out of 20. So basically I don’t have a flipin clue, my head tells me we don’t make the playoffs this year and my heart says we might.

I think I may have just driven a Red Fire Truck over stats and headed into numerology again, lets hope Hall et al make it a fun ride.

33. gr8one says:

I think there might be two things at play here, the first being, the OIlers actually being in contention, so flushing some of those players would actually send a bad message to the the the youngsters.

In other words, seeing what happened today around the league is it seems unlikely that Tambellini would have received anything for those players that would be an upgrade to what we currently have, sure he could have got some prospects picks for Whitney and Khabi…but with players like Streit not being available for the same reason on his current team and others like Yandle who the cost was too dear.

A deal like what Nashville gave up for Forsberg we could argue that we could have offered up Hemsky plus and trumped that trade, but again, that’s a move for the future, but would really hurt the right now playoff push, something that I think someone like Taylor Hall would take major issue with since they gotta be getting impatient and want to start playing for the NOW. Same with Khabi…sure we could have traded for Bishop and then flipped Khabi, but at the cost of a rookie of the year candidate and a pick I don’t blame Tambi for not offering more than that…so trading Khabi without a suitable backup option again sends the wrong message to a young team playing for a playoff berth.

Another issue at play is I believe this offseason is going to be very interesting with teams putting into effect their buyout clauses….there might be some very interesting players hitting the open market after getting bought out and could potentially be had for a bargain if it happens(Brian Campbell, Vinny Lecavalier, perhaps?)

Imagine…

Vinny and Campbell on value contracts, add a Nathan Horton and a Bryan Bickell via traditional free agency, dangle Hemsky and our first to move up in the draft to select Barkov, Trade Gagner and a prospect/pick for someone like Kulikov. and make some other depth moves to shore up the bottom six.

Hall Nuge Eberle
    Horton Lecavalier Yakupov
    PRV Barkov Harski
    Smyth Horcoff Bickell

Campbell J.Schultz
    Kulikov Petry
    Smid N.Schultz
    Klefbom Fistric

I know that’s a little pipe-dreamy best case all world scenario but you all get the gist…I think this offseason is going to be one of the most unique in the history of the NHL and with no precedent having ever been set no GM’s know what to expect.

I guess my point is, with so many factors at play and wanting to send the message that he believes in his current team by not buying anymore future and unwilling to sell any future either Tambo’s hands were almost tied not to do much under the circumstances of this trade deadline.

That being said, damn I’m disappointed…I wanted more to happen!!!

34. Thiru says:

WG: Tambellini on Whitney:

1. the fact that he’s playing well
    2. his ability to move the puck is something that we desperately need.

In fairness to Whitney, his Corsi has improved the past 10 games or so, although he had a few awful performances versus the Preds and the Blues.

Also, in terms of PP points/60, he ranks 28h in the league amongst D-men who have played at least 20 games, a little ahead of guys like Suter, Weber, and Keith. (Side note: Schultz is way up at 11th!)

He’s a flawed player (Whitney, that is), but he isn’t useless, and I don’t think he’s done by any stretch — provided, of course, that he can continue to make the necessary adjustments to his gap control.

35. Bison says:

I am in Vancouver tonight (near Stanley Park), and I am wondering if anyone could tell me where I might be able to catch the game on TV? Thanks for any help with this.

Thiru: If the run with Whitney this spring and then sign Streit during the summer, then it’s a problem solved UNLESS they choose to re-sign Whitney.

37. stevezie says:

What if Whitney is paid and played like a 7th D? A more talented Strudwick, or more charismatic MA Bergeron?

38. maudite says:

gr8one:

This is where I found the whole panel laughing at Feaster when he stated the flames intend to compete next year as a bit funny. I’m not so sure Feaster is the man I would peg with the savy to take advantage, but if a team like Dallas really puts some money down, they could quickly retool. The flip side Given our pro scouting and UFA signing history (generally too long in length and too high in salary), this could really screw us if Tamblowe gets excited.

39. VanOil says:

Bison:
    I am in Vancouver tonight (near Stanley Park), and I am wondering if anyone could tell me where I might be able to catch the game on TV?Thanks for any help with this.

The Black Frog in Gastown normally show the Oilers. Most pubs will change the channel for you after a giving you a bit of stick.

40. bookje says:

Re-tooling is possible if you are a team that players are interested to come to and you have some depth in the organization. Calgary is where Edmonton was a few years go – the last place any Free Agent would want to be.

41. Suntory Hanzo says:

Bison,

Try the Black Frog close to gastown. They are an “Oiler Friendly Bar” in Vancouver. Serve Grasshopper too.

108 Cambie St

42. Captain Happy says:

maudite: This is where I found the whole panel laughing at Feaster when he stated the flames intend to compete next year as a bit funny.I’m not so sure Feaster is the man I would peg with the savy to take advantage, but if a team like Dallas really puts some money down, they could quickly retool.The flip side Given our pro scouting andUFAsigning history (generally too long in length and too high in salary), this could really screw us if Tamblowe gets excited.

With Kiprusoff off the books, the Flames are going to have close to $30M in free cap space in the offseason.

With that amount of cash and 3 first round picks as currency, they could turn things around pretty quickly considering there will be a large number of free agents available with the cap dropping.

I’m not sure Feaster is the man for the job though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian Burke surfaces in Calgary before next season.

43. Captain Happy says:

Ryan Clowe with 2G 1A in his Ranger debut.

Derrick Brassard 1G 2A.

Slats looking like a genius.

44. Bison says:

Suntory Hanzo,

I will give check it out, thanks very much vanoil and suntory

45. Doug McLachlan says:

More mistakes made on Trade Deadline day … etc.

I’m ok with the stand pat. Let the kids see where they are at. Mr. Dithers’ natural inclination to evaluate is exactly the right choice for spring 2013.

At the start of the season the goal was to be in the hunt with a dozen or so games to play and we look to be. We are at the “so what do we have” stage of the rebuild and part of that calculation is finding out how the kids handle the pressure of a run. No Tambo did not give them a vet or two to lean on but that may be, long term, a blessing if it hammers home that this team belongs to the kids. He also didn’t cut them off at the knees by flushing teammates out the door with 4 weeks to go.

Let’s see if the faith is well placed, I am quite at ease putting the Oilers’ playoff hopes in the hands of Hall, Eberle and the Nuge as opposed to Tambo.

stevezie:

Everything Whitney can do, Klefbom can do better.

47. Captain Happy says:

godot10: Everything Whitney can do, Klefbom can do better.

Based on what exactly?

48. BlueNoteNorth says:

Feaster mentioned his marching orders were to get the Flames into the playoffs next year.

That should guarantee another year of Calgary wandering in the desert before the rebuild (retool? reload? refocus?) begins.

Perfect.

I want a better plan than Klefbom. But Klefbom makes re-signing Whitney a bad decision.

50. Rondo says:

Captain Happy,

Obviously he” bought in”

BlueNoteNorth:

Perfect.

Prediciton: Brad Richards will be a Flame. Rangers need the cap room.

52. BlueNoteNorth says:

I can live with Whitney and Khabibulin until the end of the season. Just don’t resign them. Use the salary to get a 2D and get a backup off the.UFA pile.

And flush Belanger.

53. FPB94 says:

I can’t forgive the Smithson deal, simply because similar guys were readily available on waivers (Hello Halpern/Hall).

I can also live with Whitney because he was so good when healthy. It’s just crushing to let go of a guy who had such great potential. Khabibulin is just a safety net who’s playing really well.

54. stevezie says:

godot10,

Probably, but wouldn’t you rather start him on the farm and move Whitney if you’re forced to?

There are better options out there, but if being “good in the room” results in a Whitney returning as a latter-day Struds it won’t be the worst move management has made (surely we can all agree with that statement). I doubt he would take 7th D-man money.

What I really hope is that Edmonton doesn’t come into next season in a position where they’ll be screwed if Klefbom can’t immediately deliver. That’s not much smarter than banking on Whitney this year.

55. gcw_rocks says:

If you think Tambo couldn’t have done better, all you need to do is look at the Jokinen trade.

“The Hurricanes receive a conditional 2013 sixth- or seventh-round draft pick and retain a portion of Jokinen’s salary, which pays him $3 million US per season and expires after 2013-14.”

So, the Canes trade Jokinen to a conference rival AND agree to pay a portion of his salary and all they get is a 6th or 7th round pick. The Oilers get an inferior player and give up a higher pick.

The Oilers, at worst, could have matched this deal and kept Jokinen out of the conference, which is better for the Canes. Depending on the salary retained, they also could have sent Belanger the other way instead of have the Canes retain the salary and both teams would have been at least as well off, if not better.

And LT is so right about the Oilers and advanced stats. Not a stats geek in the bunch or the Smithson trade would not have happened, nor would Tambo be taling about Whitney the way he did. Hopefully Howson brings some of that to the Oilers. Oh wait, he traded for jack Johnson, so we definitively know he does not use them either.

No fucking hope.

56. Hammers says:

Don’t like saying it but I agree with woodguy on us loosing tonight and then that’s it . Since when is selling or buying players at this time the wrong thing to do .

Smarmy: Well this just isn’t true. Khabby is a hell of a lot better rental then taking on Steve Mason. Teams are starved for defensemen and took all kinds of flotsam for picks.

While getting punched in the balls is preferrable to getting kicked in the balls, it doesn’t make getting punched in the balls “good”.

58. Smarmy says:

Woodguy: While getting kicked in the ballsis preferrable to getting punched in the balls, it doesn’t make getting punched in the balls “good”.

Getting kicked is probably worse and I don’t know what you’re talking about in regards to what I was saying to the other poster.

59. BlueNoteNorth says:

godot10,

Start Klefbom in OKC. Bring in a 2D ( Oilers will have the cap room) and move Schultz Elder to 3D.

If Klefbom is ready, either move Schultz at the trade deadline (he will be a UFA rental) or bump Potter.

WG: Tambellini on Whitney:

1. the fact that he’s playing well
    2. his ability to move the puck is something that we desperately need.

I should do his pressers for him.

I’d be more believable.

Even when I’m telling the truth.

61. dessert1111 says:

Really liked the article LT. Sincere, well-composed and passionate.

62. Doug McLachlan says:

Question for the hive-mind: following the Swedish playoffs would Klefbom be able to suit up for the Oilers? Apparently the Preds have suggested that they could do this with the just acquired Forsberg.

Follow up question: would this plan fail because the Oil are at the 50 contract limit? (I read that Klefbom and signed juniors are able to exceed the 50 contract limit.)

Final follow up: If the limit is a barrier, would placing a Belanger on IR open up the slot?

Thanks in advance.

63. Captain Happy says:

John Moore with a goal for the Rags.

Brassard with his 4th point.

I hope everyone realizes that considering Crosby’s jaw, and Bergeron’s concussion, Montreal is probably going to waltz to the Stanley Cup finals to face an exhausted and beat up Chicago Blackhawks or LA KIngs team.

65. VanOil says:

BlueNoteNorth:
    godot10,

Start Klefbom in OKC. Bring in a 2D ( Oilers will have the cap room) and move Schultz Elder to3D.

Agreed that Oilers can afford under the cap to sign Samwise, Paajarvi, Hartikainen and a backup goalie. I would go with a top 4 D and a 4th line center to rival Ladner. Klefbom is the wild card, counting on the NHL seems ridiculas but but… Oilers. We do deepend or drowned development.

66. Rondo says:

Tyler Dellow gets it right.

“If you’re the general manager of a hockey team, your job every day is to get your team closer to winning the Stanley Cup. It’s not about leveraging a player in a trade for the highest return – it’s about getting closer to winning the Stanley Cup. Your job never changes. Tambellini’s job was never about leveraging assets to get the greatest return – it was about getting closer to winning the Cup and that was the way to do it.”

67. jake70 says:

Did I just hear Roger Millions say the Oilers acquired young Jared Smithson?

68. fuzzy muppet says:

Anyone have link that doesn’t show game 2 of a million in baseball instead of hockey playoff battles?

69. VanOil says:

Hemskey seems to be full of piss’n vinegar to start so is hopefully is not that sore.

Doug McLachlan:
    Question for the hive-mind: following the Swedish playoffs would Klefbom be able to suit up for the Oilers?Apparently the Preds have suggested that they could do this with the just acquired Forsberg.

Thanks in advance.

Klefbom could suit up for Edmonton, but they would have to make room on the 50-man list (he’s a sliderule now) and of course they risk burning a season of his entry level deal for nothing. Putting Belanger on IR would get him on the 23-man roster but would do nothing for his 50-man roster status.

71. Lucinius says:

Hall and RNH soft on that goal against.

72. Scotty LaDouche says:

Who needs Iggy when you can score with the shaft of your stick?

73. Lois Lowe says:

Bison:

There is a bar called the Black Frog in Gastown that is an Oiler friendly establishment.

74. meanashell11 says:

anyone have a stream for this game. Here on centerice i have the blow jays

1-0 for Calgary after the Oilers had a couple of strong shifts to start the game. Like the Oilers effort early but the hockey Gods are pushing the red light early.

Mike Brown fights Steve Begin.

76. hunter1909 says:

Tonight is the Flame’s SC Final.

77. BlacqueJacque says:

And of course the Glencross point.

This is what happens when you take a win for granted.

These Oilers are slow, slow learners.

78. Lucinius says:

Flames out working the Oilers. Pathetic. Nap time is over, guys.

79. hunter1909 says:

Oiler’s already act like the 2 points in the bag, lol.

80. fuzzy muppet says:

Same old Oilers. Good thing they did nothing to actually improve them team. What a waste

81. VanOil says:

Please RK call a time out. Then re-enact a riot. Reading it might not be enough.

82. Lucinius says:

Second goal against, on J. Schultz and Whitney, by what I saw, but I’m not sure and really don’t want to rewind to watch it again…

83. icecastles says:

Somehow this feels justified and appropriate. I can’t figure out why or how.

The tough thing is that I suspect the Oilers were hoping for an early lead and then a quiet game where they could conserve their strength and rest their skill to be ready for the upcoming game. They’re going to have to work hard and play the top 6 a lot more now, which doesn’t bode so well for the second of the back-to-back.

84. BlacqueJacque says:

Sportsnet One HD. 302 on my Shaw.

85. icecastles says:

SNW SD is carrying the game. Ballgame is only on the HD channel.

86. BlacqueJacque says:

The first line is crushing the Flames.

87. Suntory Hanzo says:

meanashell11,

use first row sports, but links 5 and 6

88. Rebilled says:

The 4 game win streak ruined the chance for a real trade today.

Just kidding, this is a 4 year rebuild. They don’t want them to win this year. They’ll have to do it themselves if they want it. see: Taylor Hall

89. Southern Oil says:

Taylor Hall is a beast. Hopefully that wakes them up!

90. supernova says:

Lets go alternate universe and say they make a few big deals to gear up for a playoff run.

We know the two biggest needs are a tough physical top 6 winger and a top 4 LH shooting D.

Ryan Clowe was traded for a 2, 3 and a conditional 2. So we know what we have to do to beat this, we give up our 2 2nds this year as well as a 2 next year.

Mark Streit is perhaps the most available suitable D that fits our need, which I don’t believe he is as NYI are in a more achievable playoff spot. What would it take? Most likely a 1, a 2 and something else maybe a 3. First thing is we would have to acquire the 2 and 3. So maybe that takes Whitney and jones and possibly a 4 and / or Peckham

So after all this the oilers acquire Clowe and Streit and subtract Whitney. Jones, this years 1, 2 and next years 2.

Not only does this affect the locker room, the future both of these players are UFA’s so we either get them resigned or we lose them, we are far from a certainty to keep them, all this as well as on the outside looking in.

These moves are also made from a Monday morning quarterback position of knowing almost exactly what it would take.

Would Clowe waive his NTC to come here?
    Would NY even deal Streit ?
    Would they even make the playoffs after this ?
    Is this 4 game win streak the real oilers, are or they getting a few breaks and bounces?

My eyes tell me they are more likely the 11 place team than the 7th?

I will take my chances at the draft and through the summer and continue to build even though it isn’t rewarding on April 3.

All this to say I still think we need new management, especially when you see Murray in Ottawa and even some crafty moves in SJ

91. jake70 says:

I’ve got the Calgary SN feed on C-Ice, in HD, if that means anything.

Yeah, I have it but trying to find a stream (as per request above by Mean as hell).

93. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Except, of course, for the goal against.

94. jake70 says:

Eberle with some great effort there. Line looking good.

95. Lucinius says:

Jones is defensively astute. Who knew?

This is according to the Flames broadcasters.

96. BlacqueJacque says:

YES BABY! The Gods of Odds prevail. Chances, chances, and more chances.

97. jake70 says:

Nice tip by Gagner.

Fuck that was a nice pass by Gagner to Petrell. And then Gagner scores, but holy hell that was crisp from 89.

99. Lucinius says:

GOAL!

Gagner!

100. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s a HUGE goal from 89…HUGE

101. bookje says:

I think Hall is going to win this game.

Gagner (Petry, Petrell)

103. VanOil says:

Everything the Hobbit touches… and long may it last.

104. Lucinius says:

The upstart Flames deserve only one fate for scoring two early goals on the Oilers.

Smid Hat-trick.

105. Zelepukin says:

Without Brown’s fight that goal never would have happened.

106. icecastles says:

Oilers win 6-2. Later tonight, Feaster points to the 2-0 lead from early in the game as evidence that the Flames are right on the verge of winning these kinds of games and that there is no reason that next year, they won’t be back in the playoffs. This summer, they acquire Jonathan Cheechoo and Scott Gomex to play top-line minutes.

107. VanOil says:

Nuge’s defensive responsibility and positioning says Selke is in his future.

108. Zelepukin says:

Ebs is dangling like crazy tonight.

109. BlacqueJacque says:

Smid should shoot more. The comic effect of people ten feet away from the net diving for cover is worth it.

110. Lucinius says:

Hemsky knows what I’m talking about!

Almost, Smid.. almost.

111. Scotty LaDouche says:

These Flames announcers and commercials are making me feel a little queasy.

112. Suntory Hanzo says:

fuzzy muppet,

this feed working better than firstrow

113. Lucinius says:

Scotty LaDouche,

Every game matters!

Timing is everything.

114. icecastles says:

Quick! Trade him while his value is… oh right. Damn.

115. BlacqueJacque says:

WHITNEY TIES IT!

Fucking eh! These Oilers will NOT be denied!

Thank GOD they didn’t trade Whitney!

117. fuzzy muppet says:

SWEET. THey still have a chance.

4 is an absolute KILLER

118. jake70 says:

Oh wow, nice goal. Lol.

119. Lucinius says:

That’s why they kept Whitney?

120. Rebilled says:

Hilarious.

121. rich says:

Time to trade Whitney, his value will never be higher…

Whoops.

122. VanOil says:

Hall really really likes Whitney. Talk about a setup. Is he dating Whitneys younger sister?

123. fuzzy muppet says:

Games back on center ice package. Good thing we got to watch that thrilling cleveland win in game 2 of 162

124. Lucinius says:

Hilarious moments for the Calgary broadcasters;

1) Complimenting Jones on how his strong defensive play is a big reason for his NHL success.

2) Commenting on how Paajarvi has only recently managed to get his defensive game in order instead of cheating for offense.

Like wha!?

Whitney (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins)

126. icecastles says:

Probably common knowledge by now (I have no idea how long OTs last in baseball – don’t follow the sport at all), but the game is finally showing on SNET-W HD.

127. PaperDesigner says:

Lucinius:
    Hilarious moments for the Calgary broadcasters;

Like wha!?

Calgary is also planning to make the post-season next year so… Yeah.

128. hunter1909 says:

The little red gazelles are back.

129. Lucinius says:

Also, Moore, Clowe and Brassard combined for 8 points tonight against Pittsburgh.

Slats, still got that crazy trade mojo?

Too bad most of his free agent signings suck?

130. Scotty LaDouche says:

Lucinius,

Or the sound of surprise when he read that Gagner had 14 goals on the season.

131. hunter1909 says:

VanOil:

Talent knows talent.

It might only be for 12 games but Whitney’s already proving why he’s worth another contract.

*Lowetide posters run for cover*

132. khildahl says:

Lucinius:
    Hilarious moments for the Calgary broadcasters;

Like wha!?

Also Roger Millions’ Freudian slip right before Calgary’s first goal: “…if any Oilers player scores five goa–oops!”

133. VanOil says:

Lucinius:
    Hilarious moments for the Calgary broadcasters;

Like wha!?

Amazing how Nashville and STL broadcasters to name a few off the top of my head are so much more informed about the Oilers than there supposed ‘hockey market’ rival.

134. Southern Oil says:

Lucinius:
    Hilarious moments for the Calgary broadcasters;

Like wha!?

#3 – our shots for are going to climb now as all the players are back from injuries. Like who exactly?

135. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

I often wonder why the average fan has such incredibly bad information and makes such bizarre comments. This is why. I get that a big part of MSM success is speaking well, work ethic, industry contacts, dues paid, and a million other things, but you would think that SOMEWHERE in there, actually knowing WTF you’re talking about would be a key factor to success.

136. VanOil says:

Hemskey is a bad bad man!

137. Lucinius says:

Southern Oil,

Horcoff! Obviously.

We generate an extra shot for every million dollars he’s paid.

138. nelson88 says:

icecastles,

thank you sir.

139. icecastles says:

Southern Oil: Like who exactly?

Khabi, obviously.

140. Lucinius says:

icecastles,

Agreed. MSM not having a clue and having their own bias and agenda is a big reason why the average fan had opinions of a retarded monkey that’s been beaten in a sack for a week.

141. Lucinius says:

Smid needed to just blast that one!

142. BlacqueJacque says:

Yak and Horc are bending the Flames over and just forced an icing.

It’s so weird watching a game vs the Flames and feeling confident with a 2-2 score.

143. VanOil says:

Yaks back hand pass is harder than a Smyth slapper. Man I love this kid.

144. GordM says:

Hearing the broadcast talk about Feaster’s identified ‘untouchables” (what an idiot). I’m surprised he didn’t mention Jankowski…didn’t he say at the draft that 10 years from now he will be the best player taken…thought that would make him untouchable.

What an idiot.

145. Southern Oil says:

#4 – we’re always thinking about scoring goals!!!

This color guy is a riot LOL!

146. khildahl says:

Hot water is harder than Smyth slapper, but yes, Yak is awesome.

VanOil:
    Yaks back hand pass is harder than a Smyth slapped. Man I love this kid.

147. jake70 says:

Hit em Nuge!

148. Lucinius says:

I do not like this Gagner line (Gagner centering Smyth and Petrell).

Also, Calgary’s broadcast team properly identifies an Oiler’s player strengths (Smid).

149. Rebilled says:

The Nuge with the face wash!

150. Lucinius says:

A powerplay against the Flames! How rare.

151. Zelepukin says:

seriously, Hallsy is unreal right now.

152. jake70 says:

Those great passes on the PP down to the left circle need to be one-timed.

153. VanOil says:

What baboons host SN Calgary? I don’t think I want to know.

Hall is supreme.

155. Lucinius says:

Anaheim leading Dallas 1-0 after the first period, so far.

The powerhouse Minnesota Wild.. losing to San Jose 1-0 so far.

Edit: San Jose up 2-0 now.

156. hunter1909 says:

Flames fans must love watching Oiler’s power play.

157. Southern Oil says:

VanOil:
    What baboons host SN Calgary? I don’t think I want to know.

Does anyone know – is there no Oiler feed for this one? NHL Game Center has nothing.

158. icecastles says:

Zelepukin,

He has to be a near lock for the Olympics at this point. Trying to recall the last Oiler to play in the Olympics, Team Canada or otherwise… was there anyone in 2010? I would have thorught Hemsky for Czech, but I’m pretty sure he was injured at the time.

Edit: Hemsky helped Czech to bronze in ’06, but was not on the team in ’10.

159. khildahl says:

jake70:
    Those greatpasses on the PP down to the left circle need to be one-timed.

This. They also need to be made to Yakupov.

160. icecastles says:

Jay Feaster should never be allowed to say he needs to get bigger.

161. bookje says:

Thank GOD they didn’t trade Whitney!

Awesome – I burst out laughing when I read this! (Aka LOL)

162. ASkoreyko says:

God just spewing such bullshit.

The goal is to make the playoffs?

I guess if you say something out-loud enough times you start to think its true?

163. hunter1909 says:

icecastles:
    Jay Feaster should never be allowed to say he needs to get bigger.

164. Scotty LaDouche says:

So Feasters plan is to acquire the most expendable players from cap crunch teams?? Because Flames.

Except for the start there was a lot to like about that period.

Except for Jones.

He’s just awful.

That would have been addition by subtraction.

I expect RK to bench him after Lander comes up and 94 can play 3LW.

166. RexLibris says:

hunter1909:
    Flames players must love watching Oiler’s power play.

Fixed

167. hunter1909 says:

Interesting season, getting to see the Flames turn into the POS era Oilers in a couple of weeks.

Now all they need is to find their very own versions of: Gagner, Pajaarvi, Hall, RNH, Eberle, J Schultz…

Yakupov. I always got’s to remember that name.

168. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

KW over at that other blog site has the chances in the 1st at 9-3 Oilers. 93. Foreshadowing?

169. VanOil says:

Can we test WG’s punch or kick hypothesis on Roger Millions? Or are you against animal testing?

Sorry for the unnecessary nastiness. But Flames.

170. BlueNoteNorth says:

bookje:

I didn’t hear Tambellini’s presser, but will listen. I also think that NONE of the Oilers management is in tune with advanced stats (MacT included) and this is why they can’t make good decisions regarding NHL level talent.Other teams are using more and better information in their decision making.

Tambellini mentioned Smithson’s FO% as a reason for the move. Baby steps.

I wonder what influence Darkhorse Analytics out of the U of A, or for that matter Bruce McC et al, have. The Oilers appear to be getting the stats. The unknown is their use.

171. khildahl says:

Feaster is such an idiot. “Kipper didn’t refuse to waive his NTC; there was never a trade because he said he wouldn’t go there.”

It’s not a spade, it’s a dirt relocation spoon.

icecastles:
    Zelepukin,

Edit: Hemsky helped Czech to bronze in ’06, but was not on the team in ’10.

Lubomir Visnovsky, 2010, Slovakia.
    Denis Grebeshkov, 2010, Russia

173. Zelepukin says:

icecastles:
    Zelepukin,

I would have said no chance 2 weeks ago. If he keeps this level of play up for the rest of the season and next, then absoluttely.

Edit: Hemsky helped Czech to bronze in ’06, but was not on the team in ’10.

174. hunter1909 says:

khildahl,

I love Jay Feaster. He’s making Calgary the new, official laughing stock of the NHL.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 20s

First period chances: 9-5

Chris Pronger and Ryan Smyth 2006 Olympics.

177. RexLibris says:

hunter1909:
    khildahl,

I love Jay Feaster. He’s making Calgary the laughing stock of the NHL.

And he’s doing it against some pretty strong StupidRel from the big guns in NYI and others. Impressive.

178. bookje says:

Lucinius:
    I do not like this Gagner line .

Would you like the here or there?
    Would you like them in a house?
    Would you like them with a mouse?
    Would you like them with a goat?
    Would you like them with a moat?
    Sam-I-am.

179. ASkoreyko says:

This strategy room is hilarious.

It reminds me of sitting around listening to my extended family talk about hockey.

How is it possible that Sportsnet can not hire a single decent person for their telecast?

Ferarro jumped ship as soon as possible.

180. Kris11 says:

bookje,

Awesome.

181. Lucinius says:

Sportsnet’s “Strategy Room” is such a joke. Could they be more irrelevant?

182. asiaoil says:

Ya know I can honestly live with Whitney still around as a decent replacement is expensive at this time of the year. I can also live with Bulin still here as all we need is a couple of more games from the backup. Even Belanger as a 5th center is OK. But why Jones and Peckham are still on this roster is a mystery of some magnitude.

183. VanOil says:

bookje: Would you like the here or there?
    Would you like them in a house?
    Would you like them with a mouse?
    Would you like them with a goat?
    Would you like them with a moat?
    Sam-I-am.

A Swedish Yak for next year please, Sam-U-are.

184. khildahl says:

hunter1909: Sparks fly off Feaster’s knife and fork so fast, they put arc welding out of business.

He’s not fat, he’s voluptuously muscular.

185. BlacqueJacque says:

By drawing attention to the fact that that’s the first fight in the BoA in 12 games, they’re only reminding everyone of why it’s the first fight in 12 games – Ivanans.

186. pboy says:

There’s no way Sportsnet pays more than $200 on either Spec’s or Eric Francis’s suits. I’ve seen better dressed homeless men.

Go Oilers!

187. Lucinius says:

asiaoil,

Because you could not move Peckham. Why on earth would any team trade for Peckham? He doesn’t come to camp in shape.. twice. Can’t crack our d-corps. hasn’t played and you have no idea what game shape he is in. No reason any team would take him.

Jones they tried to trade as part of getting Bishop.. probably just didn’t get an offer for just him.

I don’t mean to defend Tambellini because I’m not a big fan of his. But shit players don’t move. And this year Jones is shit.. last year is when he needed to be moved.

188. Lois Lowe says:

I am just going to say this again…lay off the Feaster is fat comments. Glass houses and stones people. I am sure that every one of us could stand to lose a few.

Attack his paltry record as the GM in Calgary, and a million other things he’s done wrong since he’s stepped into that role.

189. Rebilled says:

Wideman should get a diving penalty there.

190. hunter1909 says:

Black Sabbath lmao.

191. bookje says:

Lois Lowe:
    I am just going to say this again…lay off the Feaster is fat comments. Glass houses and stones people. I am sure that everyone one of us could stand to lose a few.

Or have some other personal failing either now or to come.

192. Lucinius says:

Going to need to score on this powerplay, imo..

193. Scotty LaDouche says:

Suck it Flamers

The Strategy Room “idea” is a good one. If they had 4 bloggers in there, or 4 advanced stats people if you prefer, and they gave instant analysis based on the numbers I think it would be outstanding.

OR, on draft day have 4 ex-GMs talk strategy at certain moments.

Yakupov scored. I love this team. Don’t change a thing.

195. fuzzy muppet says:

YAKCITY! Thar’s what he was BORN to do

196. Lucinius says:

On the face off win/shot the Flames duo couldn’t tell who was RNH and who was Hemsky. 8 and 9 look so alike on replays.

197. rich says:

Yak Attack!

198. BlacqueJacque says:

Good gravy that shot curdles milk.

Newer Comments »