OILERS AT FLAMES G36 (12-13) 3.4.13

I went into today hoping the Oilers would acquire Mark Streit, Ben Bishop, a 4line C for depth and if they had to add a physical winger let it be Glencross or Torres or someone like that (who could take/make a pass and add to the skill set).

The club acquired Jerred Smithson for a 4th rd pick to address center depth, and apparently tried to get Bishop out of Ottawa with Ryan Jones and a pick (rumored). I also know they wanted a physical winger, but was pleased they didn’t offer the winning bid on Raffi Torres (it would have taken a 2nd rd pick to get him).

Those are the positives.

The negatives? They didn’t unload any of the veteran UFA’s (Khabibulin, Jones, Whitney, Fistric) and still have 8 defensemen. I also worry they may be thinking of signing some of those UFA’s this summer. Finally, they didn’t make room for Hartikainen and I believe he’s earned the stretch run. Oh well, injuries will take care of it.

The major negative? The Oilers players and the fans deserve a better defense, a stronger 6-man unit who can stay away from 40-second shifts of carnage. If you look very hard you can actually see the problem:

whitney99

Steve  Tambellini’s press conference (I caught it in the car) runs at exact cross purposes with this graph. If we ever wanted to know if the Edmonton Oilers are in lock step with advanced stats, shame on us for not knowing now.

Toronto Maple Leafs v Nashville Predators

Smithson took a hammering in the comments section of my blog today, although I think it’s meant for Steve Tambellini. Smithson isn’t Jim Dowd, or Boyd Gordon, or any number of effective 4line centermen who roam the earth at any given time. Still, he’s a veteran who will allow Ryan Smyth to move over to his natural position and the Oilers to choose between Mike Brown and Lennart Petrell on the other wing. He cost a 4th rd pick, but that’s not exactly high cotton and I’d rather pay high for an expiring contract. Maybe Lander’s ready next fall, or maybe the Oilers will find a solution through free agency, but Smithson is a stop gap and that’s reflected in the price. Faceoffs, penalty kill, hell he’ll even make people happy because he has a large number of hits.

His CorsiRel is second last among Florida forwards, he has the toughest zone start and he’s delivering about as much 5×5/60 as Ryan Smyth this season. He’s good on faceoffs.

VERY ANGRY

If you’re asking me to get angry at the Edmonton Oilers tonight, I’ll gladly do it. However, I’m going to start and end with the decision to keep Whitney and failure to launch on acquiring an upgrade to replace him. I began my post this morning “I’ve written more words about the blue than anything else on this blog, and when it comes to the Oilers the river leads to an ocean” and begin this evening wondering if there’s anything bigger than an ocean.

THE REAL PROBLEM

Paltrow

The real problem might be this: today’s events imply Steve Tambellini has the age old Oiler problem of not being able to part with his own additions. If Steve Tambellini can’t flush Nikolai Khabibulin and Ryan Whitney, we’re as doomed as doomed can be.

About tonight:

weir4

Oilers have to win tonight. They’re the better club and they could wake up tomorrow morning in a playoff spot. After these long months of bad nights, tonight could be a very good one for the Oilers and the fans.

Finally!

521 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES G36 (12-13) 3.4.13"

« Older Comments
  1. VanOil says:

A supernova song in honor of Hall and Supernova’s daughter. http://youtu.be/g3C7DECI0jU

2. hunter1909 says:

Flames Colorman babbling about how the Oilers will fare “depending on their road trip” as if wtf they’re playing at home!!?

3. Bar_Qu says:

*evil chuckles*

Awesome Yak.

4. Lucinius says:

Hah!

Yak!

5. BlacqueJacque says:

Hall is 6th overall with 41 points in 33 games. He’s scoring at the third-fastest pace in the NHL. Faster than Kane, Kunitz, Staal, Getzlaf, Tavares, Toews… anybody but Crosby and Stamkos.

AND YAK for #8! WATTAFUKKINGAME!

6. LMHF#1 says:

I. Love. It.

Pedal down. Out of our damn way.

7. delooper says:

Heh. Kicking Calgary when they’re down. I love Yakupov and what he’s becoming.

8. jb says:

It’s a good ole fashioned beatdown!

9. striatic says:

PLUS!!!!

10. bookje says:

Pretty unfair for McDonald – He even hates Calgary now

11. fuzzy muppet says:

Watching Calgary brings back memories of the 2007 Oilers.

If it were any other team, I’d feel bad for them, they’ve got a loooong road ahead

12. Minister D- says:

Hit me baby, one more time.

13. Smarmy says:

I hope that goal scoring smile never leaves his face throughout his career.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

And Cheers in the Saddledome for an Oilers win!

Mother of God what a night.

15. SK Oiler Fan says:

94 with the crafty vet play. Man Yak loves to score

16. VanOil says:

8 into 8 i see why its a lucky number in China

17. JAG-041 says:

Hall isn’t supernova
    he’s gone galactic
    wow

18. Ice Sage says:

Boys learning to play 60 minutes, relentless-style. Am liking.
    Tomorrow will be a lot tighter – hope they didn’t shoot the wad tonight.

19. hunter1909 says:

They’re in 8th!!

20. delooper says:

Tomorrow we see how these new Oilers play against a real NHL team. Exciting!

21. khildahl says:

When was the last time this team had killer instinct like that? Wow.

22. icecastles says:

Well LT, between the trade deadline post and this one, you’ve received over 1000 comments in a single day. That has to be a record.

23. bookje says:

I notice as I look at all of you through the phone that each and everyone of you guys have Tambellini’s grin on your face right now. Maybe it’s contagious!

24. cabbiesmacker says:

Sportsnet reporting that Baertschi, Brodie, Gkencross and Giordano have asked for a private meeting with Jay Feaster to set the record straight.

25. BlacqueJacque says:

khildahl:
    When was the last time this team had killer instinct like that?Wow.

Chicago.

That is one team that really cannot want us in the first round.

26. kinger says:

Tyler who?

27. fuzzy muppet says:

Still a ways to go. St. louis has 2 games in hand.

But boy oh boy this feels good right now

Gotta win tomorrow

28. delooper says:

kinger:
    Tyler who?

Tyler Hall.

29. Lucinius says:

Dubnyk gets his save % back above 0.900 in the final seconds.

Fantastic game, given the sheer number of defensive zone issues. Stajan’s line was the only one that really gave us any trouble.

RNH line was dominant after the fuck up on the first Calgary goal.

Some key saves by Dubnyk to ensure the win when Calgary still could have made it close.

Tomorrow is important. Oilers need to get at least 2 points, imo, out of the 2 games against Vancouver remaining in the season.

30. BlacqueJacque says:

Hey, get this… Oilers are +1 on the season in goal differential.

Fancy that.

31. striatic says:

Huge game tomorrow.

a win and – i think – Edmonton moves to a 50/50 chance at the playoffs.

32. Suntory Hanzo says:

Remember when we couldn’t score?

I thought at the beginning of the season we were going to be like the Barasso Penguins. Winning or losing 6-5 all season.

33. commonfan14 says:

Everyone pissed at the Oilers for not picking up Adam Hall is forgetting a critical factor: Hallsy would have looked lame with a T. stitched on his sweater and it probably would have sent him into a slump.

34. icecastles says:

striatic: a win and – i think – Edmonton moves to a 50/50 chance at the playoffs.

St Louis has two games in hand on us, so probably not at 50% yet. But dang close, and the closest we’ve been in a very long time.

35. whale says:

Win the division?!

36. VanOil says:

Watch out Jonathan Huberdeau two Oilers are coming up on your rookie scoring lead quick

37. jb says:

8th place, +1. Damn, things are lookin good.

38. bookje says:

Taylor Hall just went from 15th in scoring to 6th in the NHL.

39. asiaoil says:

It will be close but still tough – tougher than it needed to be because points in Jan/Feb/Mar count the same as those in April. But that’s been kicked to death and I’ll just enjoy the next dozen games. In 06 the Oilers scrambled to get in late as VAN suffered an epic meltdown – that would be a fun repeat :)

40. Lucinius says:

San Jose announcers marveling at the Oilers win tonight. Remarking that if they make the playoffs all bets are off and no one will want to play us.

Also remarking that tonight was, score-wise, reminiscent of the 80′s Oilers.

41. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh Blessed Father in Heaven,

May the Flames never see the light of day, and if you would be so kind as to ensure that St. Louis’ goaltending continues at its present pace, the city of Edmonton shall be grateful and will rise up and taunt the sodomites down in Gomorrhary, 3 hours South.

42. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje:
    Taylor Hall just went from 15th in scoring to 6th in the NHL.

3rd in points per game. The two guys ahead of him? Crosby and Stamkos.

I don’t think I’ll get tired of repeating that stat for a few days.

43. stevezie says:

commonfan14:
    Everyone pissed at the Oilers for not picking up Adam Hall is forgetting a critical factor:Hallsy would have looked lame with a T. stitched on his sweater and it probably would have sent him into a slump.

Oh I think we’d give the initial to that other A-Hall.

44. jb says:

Halls on pace for 102 points over 82….

3m

“The standings don’t interest me at all right now. They only count after 48.” – Krueger on the Oilers being in 8th place.

46. FastOil says:

VanOil:

Watch out league – I think Taylor Hall has finished recognisance and has served notice of his desire to win with a certainty not seen in Edmonton since 1991

47. Gerta Rauss says:

Holy hell what a game-fantastic comments today as usual.

more Supernova

48. jake70 says:

“JAKE70 says:
    February 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm
    Might be tonite, maybe next year, who knows, but the Oilers are going to blow Calgary right out of Alberta some night.”

Took me a bit to find it, I posted this last year in the 6-1 drubbing. More of this please Oilers. (hope I am allowed to pat myself on back for prediction…;-) )

49. Giant Squid Overlord says:

bookje,

7th (getzlaf is ahead with points tonight)
    Hall is 3rd in NHL for points-per-game with 10 or more games played (behind sid and stamkos)

50. bookje says:

3m

What’s the link to the post game media coverage? I can’t find it on the oilers site.

51. Giant Squid Overlord says:

BlacqueJacque,

Guess I just repeated it for you. Beat me to it.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

4-93-14 – best line in the NHL now that Crosby is injured?

Are they Sochi-bound?

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Giant Squid Overlord,

That’s ok.

I can live with that stat being repeated.

bookje: What’s the link to the post game media coverage?I can’t find it on the oilers site.

don’t know that was a twitter quote.

55. Hammers says:

Eat my words . loosing 2-0 and I thought *#%@#! . I was right there going to loose but Hall & co came back . BIG TIME>

56. Zelepukin says:

BlacqueJacque:
    4-93-14 – best line in the NHL now that Crosby is injured?

Are they Sochi-bound?

We saw them struggle earlier in the season so only time will tell if they keep this level of play up. Granted Nuge looks healthier right now, more confident with puck possession in the corners and smarter on the draws. Ebs is dangling and starting to get his groove back. Hallsy we don’t even have to worry about.

57. "Steve Smith" says:

Does anybody now doubt that Eberle’s the best of the kids? It’s not even close.

(The funny thing is that he scored two goals, and I can still say the above without worrying that anybody will think I’m speaking sincerely. That Taylor Hall…man.)

58. bookje says:

Lowetide: don’t know that was a twitter quote.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

Stajan second star…the fuck?

60. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Does anybody now doubt that Eberle’s the best of the kids?It’s not even close.

(The funny thing is that he scored two goals, and I can still say the above without worrying that anybody will think I’m speaking sincerely.That Taylor Hall…man.)

It’s sad how far he has fallen – just two goals – sigh.

61. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Stajan second star…the fuck?

I think he was in on a couple of Oiler goals.

62. bookje says:

Hammers:
    Eat my words . loosing 2-0 and I thought *#%@#!. I was right there going to loose but Hall & co came back . BIG TIME>

lose and losing – lose and losing – lose and losing – lose and losing!!!!!!

Seriously, you are killing the internet.

63. jake70 says:

Last 5 games, outscoring opposition 25-7.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje: Ah, ok, thanks. They used to play it live back in the Quinn and Renney days, but it looks like they don’t do that anymore.

I think the home/away games factor into the live broadcast of the pressers-it’ll be posted on the Oilers site shortly.

65. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

As long as we’re complaining about that stuff:

resign/re-sign. GodDAMMIT.

But to be honest, I’m not much in the mood to complain about anything. For now.

66. Zelepukin says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Does anybody now doubt that Eberle’s the best of the kids?It’s not even close.

In my opinion, what is amazing is that our 4 kids all excel at different skills from each other (potentially best in the league attributes in the next couple years):

Hall – speed, determination
    Eberle – Hands, accuracy
    Nuge – passing, puck possession, takeaways
    Yaks – shot power/speed/release

67. MrSmitty says:

Now that Taylor Hall has gone supernova, you can see the champion in him again just like when he was the MVP two years in a row at the memorial cup. He won’t let this team falter.

68. Lucinius says:

San Jose, Minny game got very ugly at the end, with San Jose taking all kinds of liberties with Minnesota (obviously they need Brown, Hordi and Eager!!).

Healtey may be hurt. End game scrum/fight with Vlasic and he ended up bolting off ice holding his wrist.

69. bookje says:

Gerta Rauss,

Good point – I hadn’t thought about the home-away. Normally I don’t get a chance to watch until later, but I am up doing all of the work that I didn’t get done during the game.

70. Gerta Rauss says:

Kueger post game

PRV injured?..doesn’t sound serious

71. supernova says:

VanOil,

Awesome all the way around!

72. Clarence Oveur says:

Damn did that beer taste good tonight.

I’m all in now. Make this run happen, boys. Tomorrow night is a big one. If they can come out of it with at least a point, I’d be happy.

73. "Steve Smith" says:

Columbus: .514
    Nashville: .514
    Phoenix: .500
    Dallas: .486
    Calgary: .429
    Colorado: .389

Getting close, but we’re not in a playoff spot by any stretch of the imagination.

74. mustang says:

PunjabiOil:
    Instead of pissing away two forth rounders on 4th liners, Tambellini should have used them to replace Horcoff when he got hurt for 17 games – and maybe the Oilers aren’t fighting for the playoffs.

This team has some very nice pieces going forward.They just need a better GM who can transition this team from the rebuild to contending stage.

75. hunter1909 says:

Columbus: .514
    Nashville: .514
    Phoenix: .500
    Dallas: .486
    Calgary: .429
    Colorado: .389

Steve, 8th place IS in a playoff spot, by every stretch but the delusional.

edit: as soon as I pressed ‘send’ was confronted by a whole lot of evidence that certainly seems to prove something.

76. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

Might want to count the teams above them again.

77. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

Because the NHL uses points to determine playoff position, not baseball percentages, St Louis are in the wrong position. So, the ‘evidence’ you enter is patently false. And therefore inadmissible.

78. Gerta Rauss says:

*edit-delete

79. G Money says:

Wow, just got back from a *great( night at the Saddledome!

Haven’t been this stoked since a (I believe it was) 10-1 drubbing the Oilers laid on the Lamers back in the 90s.

80. bookje says:

Columbus: .514
    Nashville: .514
    Phoenix: .500
    Dallas: .486
    Calgary: .429
    Colorado: .389

Other than stretches of the imagination that give consideration to trajectories. Also – Taylor Hall.

81. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

I only wish that false evidence was inadmissible.

82. hags9k says:

8th, 9th whatever we just hung one on the fizzles. When Taylor Hall hops the boards, welding goggles recommended. GOILERS!!!

83. striatic says:

need to forget tonight.

tomorrow is the important game.

84. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thank you for the technical assistance, but I was merely trying, without much success to illustrate a point to our learned friend.

ps: Those little gazelles did well tonight. I thought they played a great game.

85. "Steve Smith" says:

Do most people here still feel more hostility for the Flames than for any other team? I would dearly like to, but I can’t work up anywhere near the hate for them that I can for the Canucks. I don’t see that changing anytime within the next few years, either.

I suspect that I’ll feel some genuine empathy for Flames fans during the early stages of their rebuild. In contrast, I felt nothing but pure joy when the Bruins won game seven, and I don’t even much like the Bruins.

86. icecastles says:

mustang: Not sure which games you have been watching lately, but they look like they are in the contending stage right now. You must be thinking of Feaster and the Flamers.

Oilers are having a fantastic run of games. But we should temper our enthusiasm. From a points-per-game perspective (much more telling than raw standings which don’t account for number of games played) they are still outside the playoffs. In a division that includes Colorado and Calgary, they should probably be better.

There were some enormous holes this season that desperately needed to be filled, and some waiver pickups who were ripe for the picking that Tambo never moved on. Remember – Hall/Yak/RNH/Eberle are not the result of excellent management – they are the (admittedly VERY nice) consolation prizes for inept management.

Of our top ten players in points, seven were drafted – not the wheelhouse of the GM. One virtually demanded a trade back to Edmonton – not the result of any particular vision or hard work from our GM. One was a free agent that everyone wanted and the Oilers were lucky enough to land. That leaves one player who the GM brought in, who happens to be a veteran defenseman in the bottom 5 for +/-.

It sounds harsh and it sucks to complain during a streak like this one, but a strong argument could be made that the team’s success has come in spite of our GMs efforts, not because of it. True he avoided making dumb moves at the deadline, but that is damning with faint praise. And it rings especially hollow when you consider his extraordinary string of dumb moves prior to it.

87. Zelepukin says:

striatic: i’m interested in any opinions of which of the current top 7 teams is most likely to completely self-destruct this month.

Vancouver or Minny are our best targets. Win both games against each of them and we’re back one point on division lead.

88. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje: lose and losing – lose and losing – lose and losing – lose and losing!!!!!!

Seriously, you are killing the internet.

Irregardless…it was funny

89. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

The Flames are like a civil war; their fans are not much different than Oiler fans. They’re easy to hate, because they’re the team we naturally dislike the most, being that they’re the most like us. The Canucks and their fans are for the most part spivs; they don’t really seem to come from anywhere particularly, quite naturally feel slightly inferior to some higher force within their limited imaginations and therefore feel an abiding need to put Alberta down, simply because they feel that they can.

90. VanOil says:

striatic:
    need to forget tonight.
    tomorrow is the important game.

I wish to say Vancouver because they have been streaky this year but they just added Roy and have Kessler coming back.

So I will go with Detroit. They have great players surrounded by bums if other teams stop being in awe of them it could happen. But unlikely.

91. FastOil says:

Seeing as we have movie buffs perusing here, telling my wife about Hall’s week reminded me of Conan’s creed. Now Oiler fans have Cannonball’s creed:

To crush my enemies

To see them driven before me ……..

Even if they don’t squeak in, we have waited and now see a team with players that can compete in a way that is a true handful to deal with. I think it’s quite clear who the next captain likely is when the right time comes.

It’s now up to the “deciders” to finish the job they claim to have been doing.

92. icecastles says:

hunter1909: Because the NHL uses points to determine playoff position, not baseball percentages

The NHL uses points at the END of the season. At this point in the season, everything is predictive. So you have to seek out the information that gives you the best predictive ability. When one team has played 2 more games than another, current standings provide less predictive ability than points percentage.

93. Suntory Hanzo says:

cabbiesmacker,

How much will the resign Gagne for?

94. "Steve Smith" says:

Suntory Hanzo,

I’m more concerned about what Shultz gets on his second contract.

95. gogliano says:

I’d just like to point out that that Yak PP goal was phenomenal. How many players in this league can one-time a slapshot from an in the air pass and put it past the goalie?

96. cabbiesmacker says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    cabbiesmacker,

How much will the resign Gagne for?

Depends on how many the team looses between now and year end. I see him resigning for a big increase irregardless of how the team finishes.

97. Zelepukin says:

gogliano,

probably just Stamkos and Crosby.

98. Ribs says:

You guyz arr drunk …*falls too floor*

99. Zelepukin says:

cabbiesmacker: Depends on how many the team looses between now and year end. I see him resigning for a big increase irregardless of how many more points he scores.

Actually it depends on his playoff performance. Regardless of how many losses the team has or how many points he adds, he deserves a decent pay raise.

100. striatic says:

gogliano: How many players in this league can one-time a slapshot from an in the air pass and put it past the goalie?

and not only that, the Yakupovian velocity of the puck on that goal was practically supernatural.

he practically put that one through the net.

101. maudite says:

G Money:
    Wow, just got back from a *great( night at the Saddledome!

Ha, that is one of my favorite 90′s memories. 4 of us went to the game (2 oiler fans and 2 flames fans). Cash on the line, trash talking in full effect pre game. Spent the whole game just laughing and hi-fiving. Super poor winner style, it was great!

102. raventalon40 says:

striatic:

I’m hoping San Jose. I want to see them finish stripping that team down this off season.

However, St Louis is probably the only team with the size to match LA and San Jose of the teams that are in contention. So let’s say San Jose and St Louis, and I’d love to see both the Blue Jackets and Oilers make it.

103. "Steve Smith" says:

Zelepukin,

For a guy who can spell “Zelepukin” right, you’re sure shitting all over this riff.

104. VanOil says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Suntory Hanzo,
    I’m more concerned about what Shultz gets on his second contract.

Petry will need a raise too. Despite the cap space for next year I don’t think we can go whale hunting on the backend. An upgrade sure but a top pairing D might be a reach.

Fortunately Horcoff is holding Yaks money for him.

105. hunter1909 says:

Captain Horcoff was saying how he thinks the team can still think about finishing high enough to start the playoffs with home ice advantage. It’s great to see his positive thinking finally being accepted by the team.

106. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Zelepukin,

Yeah Valoury. Losin up a little would ya?

107. cabbiesmacker says:

hunter1909:

He shall henceforth be referred to as Captain Morgan

108. bookje says:

icecastles,

One could argue that with the situation Tambellini came in under that the only (or at least the fastest) way to rebuild the team was to sink it to get good draft picks. The real failure would have been trying to keep competing without any assets or base to the team to build from. With one really important exception, I think Tambellini has done a masterful job of doing what needed to be done and I think the majority of GMs would have screwed this up (locking in contracts too long, giving NTCs, trying to be competitive too soon, etc.).

However, Tambellini has not demonstrated an ability to bring in good NHL level talent at a reasonable cost. He also has failed to find any hidden gems (such as a Jason Smith or Curtis Joseph). This team will not be succesful unless they do begin to do that. He also has mis-managed contract counts and kept too many marginal players around.

109. bookje says:

cabbiesmacker: Irregardless…it was funny

Regardless, it’s regardless.

110. delooper says:

bookje,

It’s probably hard to bring in hidden gems when they know you’re intentionally tanking short-term. Now that the team isn’t tanking, things will likely start turning-around.

111. delooper says:

When Taylor Hall gives an interview I think “what a sweet young man”. When RNH gives an interview I think “that kid still spends most of his time playing video games”. When Eberle gives an interview I think “he’s smart but hasn’t mastered his public image”. When Yakupov gives an interview I think “wow, that kid is gorgeously raw and pure. If I wanted to go to war, I’d want to go to war with him. “

112. bookje says:

delooper:
    bookje,

It’s probably hard to bring in hidden gems when they know you’re intentionally tanking short-term.Now that the team isn’t tanking, things will likely start turning-around.

I think he was looking with Brule, Foster, Fraser, etc. Had any of them turned out, they would not have caused a problem with the ‘tanking’ side of things. Also, over the past 1.5 years, he should have been actively looking for that hidden gem player. What I mean is the player that comes here and does better here than expected. We have mostly seen the opposite (Belanger, Eager, etc.). I have been a big supporter of the rebuild as undertaken by the Tambelowe team, but I am concerned that they don’t know how to procure NHL level talent through smart trading. Now, they could prove that this concern is without merit this summer, but I would have thought I would see some indications of success at this point.

With that said, I do think many of the trades (including all of them this year) are placing a BIG emphasis on the character of the players. Being ‘Good in the Room’ seems to be really important to Tambellini and co. We will see if it pays off.

113. wordbird says:

G Money:
    Wow, just got back from a *great( night at the Saddledome!

Have endured many trips to Saddledome over the years that ended with Oiler losses. Tonight was… glorious. Sitting up in PL2 felt like sitting at a home game.

and, Radek Dvorak scored for the Ducks tonight!??!?!?

114. bookje says:

I just got back from WHyte Avenue, where the hell was everybody? I had to tear down 3 light standards all by myself.

115. geeker99 says:

was at the game tonight and wow, kid line looked all world. I was the first one to say ‘split’em up’ as I was worried about injuries. Hall is awesome. After that clutterbuck hit that guy is Captain. Still bottom 6 is a worrie? smytty is just slow and will be as long as he is bottom 6. Yak deserved better linemates tonight. we can do better than jones, have read that he cheats for offense and saw it live tonight. what a good night to be an oil fan in calgary. I want the division!!!

Went to bed after the 2nd as I had to get up at 4am to catch a flight.

That Oiler team is much different than the Oiler team of even 3 weeks ago.

I think the Oilers are almost .700 with Horcoff in the line, that’s nutty.

Tonight will be a test.

Van brought in reinforcements and the Pisscutters get last change.

Also,

Does anyone else think that RK sometimes intentionally put his 4th out against the other team’s 1st to get more favourable match ups for his 1st and 2nd?

117. Braintrust says:

Hmmmmm…….Let me see now…..Tyler Seguin has 26 points in 35 games and Taylor Hall has 41 points in 33 games. I don’t know……do you see a difference?…..HA! Like I said kids, there is no comparison between the two. Just wait till Taylor is 25 years old and THEN we will see how good he REALLY is! Moreover, Seguin is a “perimeter player”, and Lord knows, we DON’T need any more of those! I rest my case your Honour.

118. admiralmark says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Do most people here still feel more hostility for the Flames than for any other team?I would dearly like to, but I can’t work up anywhere near the hate for them that I can for the Canucks.I don’t see that changing anytime within the next few years, either.

I suspect that I’ll feel some genuine empathy for Flames fans during the early stages of their rebuild.In contrast, I felt nothing but pure joy when the Bruins won game seven, and I don’t even much like the Bruins.

I have the exact same sentiment as you. I Loathe the Canucks. They are the most annoying team with THE most annoying fans. I know this cuz i live in the Vancouver area. Besides its obvious that over the next few years its Vancouver that will be our main rival… Flamers are done. Put a fork in em.

119. BlacqueJacque says:

admiralmark,

I feel differently. The Canucks are an aberration, soon to finally slide into irrelevance. The window Is closing and pretty soon it things will return to normal.

The Flames? I enjoy seeing them suffer almost as much as I enjoy the Oilers winning. Flames fans lorded “we finished higher than you and had a worse draft pick but still went golfing in May” for years, as if finishing ninth was an achievement. I made it through the rebuild by watching the Flames inevitably collapse at the end of each season. For several bleak, terrible years all I had was the kids and watching the Flames waste money on tired old men and falling just short of the playoffs.

I am going to lord this over them for forever and a day.

« Older Comments