RYAN WHITNEY’S FINAL UNFORCED ERROR

Ryan Whitney set fire to the internet this afternoon with a couple of noxious quotes at his exit interview with the media. The two items of most interest:

principe whitney

and Whitney’s comment to a reporter that he wasn’t going to “name names” but there were others (aside from him) who could have been scratched. It’s the kind of quote you never see in hockey, and one I suspect Whitney will regret. The sad fact is that he was physically unable to play at an acceptable level. I understand his frustration, but of course the comment will have “legs” and put him in the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

A completely baffling moment.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest Whitney would have been made available throughout the NHL at the deadline, and those are the same teams he’ll be looking to for employment in the fall. I can’t imagine taking a shot at teammates in such a public way plays well with any of those organizations, no matter the situation or level of frustration.

Jonathan Willis also has a story on the situation here.

104 Responses to "RYAN WHITNEY’S FINAL UNFORCED ERROR"

1. Gret99zky says:

So do we sign him at a reduced rate?

2. VanOil says:

I am sorry that he feels unfairly dealt with. Having to come to terms with the fact he can no longer play NHL hockey must be tough.

I am not sorry I now will never have to see him in an Oilers uniform again. One UFA down…

3. Racki says:

Hmm, interesting. Hard to put a neutral spin on what he said, let alone a positive one.. and I tend to give players a lot of slack with what they say. Yet another black mark on the organization, I suppose, but let’s face it.. you were scratched because you fucking sucked most nights, Whitney. Not because the team was mean to you.

If the Oilers had a healthy Whitney would this past season have been different? Yes I believe it would have been different

I think Whitney showed during the stretch run that he just couldn’t do it. That Jagr play was pretty sad. I remember talking to Jeff Krushell about athletes who lose their careers (generally, not Whitney) and man he painted a pretty bleak picture. So I suspect there’s some of that for Whitney today, because in his heart he knows the world has changed for him.

I’m not angry at him, but am surprised he threw Fistric and Potter under the bus. Crazy, honestly can’t recall the last NHL player to do it.

6. DBO says:

agreed on a healthy Whitney. I think that is the bet that ultimately cost Tambo his job. That and the lack of addressing the centre depth once injury hit.

7. Lois Lowe says:

I think it’s mostly just that he knows that his next deal is going to be in the Cam Barker range and may only end up being a PTO or league minimum. His ego just hasn’t accepted that his new normal is not NHL calibre any longer so he’s trying to make the Oilers the villans. Unlike the Souray situation, I don’t think this one comes back to bite the team in any serious way.

8. VanOil says:

Are you sure he wasn’t thinking of Schultz Jr as well? I am sure Whitney still feels he is a top end offensive defenseman. Very rare for NHL players to comment on there team mates in this way, I doubt he meant to do that..

9. DoubleJ says:

Just like Souray regrets the bad comments he made.
    Lets face it the common denominator is the Oilers organization has at least one player every year throw jabs at them. I would like to hear how Peckham enjoyed his year?
    This organization needs to run this ship better. Players will refuse to take a chance here.

I’m guessing Whitney will have a good season with better teammates and a better system.

10. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh, jeez.

I feel for the guy but I haven’t been impressed with his grasp of reality this season.

My one miss in my pre-season playoff guess for the WC was having the Oilers in and DET out.

As payback iwon’t burn down Bruce’s house, but I may steal his whiskey.

A healthy Whitney would have donw this:

5-2
    6-19
    15-44/45

When it comes to D, one man pushing others down the pecjing order can make massive changes in how the D pairs handle their comp.

If Sutton hadn’t of blown out his knee then sub in Sutton for 45.

Don’t forget that Sutton had one of the best corsi on the D last year.

It may have even been:

2-5
    6-Sutton
    15-19

A different world.

That McCurdy is a menace. He cost me a full hour one day by telling me the scotch bar opened at 2!

13. Vince says:

The Springfield Falcons are a “really good team”

14. leadfarmer says:

Whitney was a terrible defenseman before the injury and the injury made him even worse. The guy had one good half season in his entire career. I still cant believe people penciled him as a top pairing defenseman even when he said he was healthy.

I wonder if the straw that broke the camels back was Tambellini thinking of re-signing Whitney.

15. dessert1111 says:

Good riddance to him. There are a lot of players who have a right to be annoyed with the organization, but Whitney isn’t one of them. Saying he is better than his teammates is classless and in this case pretty laughable.

Sucks he’s hurt, but he doesn’t have to be a dick.

16. VanOil says:

Nail “Ralph says I have to shoot every game 3 or 4 times” Sweat lord he going be good.

17. hags9k says:

If anyone should have sore feelings here it is Katz and Tambellini for the crap performance they got for their 4 mil per. NEXT

18. hags9k says:

I’ll add that his comments are out of pride and any pro worth having on your team has an unwavering confidence in themselves. So I understand his frustration but to take a shot at your teammates on the way out is a bit low. I liked Whitney and thought he had a good personality, but it’s the big leagues and you have to “show me” on the ice. It’s not enough just to be buds with Hall and Ebs. Time to move on.

Never trust a man who doesn’t shave everyday and stares into the sky.

20. justDOit says:

Very unfortunate words, indeed. Maybe the Ducks can sign him in the off season and pair him with Souray next year? There should be some immediate bonding there.

All,

The straw that broke Tambellini’s back was made pretty clear by MacT on After Hours last night.

It was time to stop “management by neglect”

They gave Tambo the keys, but never let him drive past the round about on the drive way regardless how many times he insisted that “I’m a really good driver”

Time to build this team for real now that all the toughest pieces to acquire are wearing the oildrop.

Godspeed MacT.

22. prairieschooner says:

Ryan Whitnes” injury was self inflicted.
    He chose to have the surgery on both feet.It was not necessary to have that particular operation
    The surgeries did not work as well as he hoped.
    It was always his choice to have the surgeries.
    He had one done in Pittsburgh and the Ducks paid the medical bill?
    He had the other surgery done with Anaheim and the Oilers paid that bill?
    I blame the oilers for a total lack of due diligence.
    I have no sympathy for Whitney

23. Rebilled says:

Whitney just needed to choose #44 as his number for us to get the hat trick.

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I guess Oilers in when Bruce McCurdy reported from camp that Whitney beat Yak in a skating drill and seemed to be back up to snuff.

I looked it up to either a) defend my honour or b) see how badly out to lunch I was, and here’s the exact quote from my CoH post about Day 1 of camp:

“Ryan Whitney may never be 100% again, but he’s come quite a ways from where he was. He particularly impressed me in a one-on-one drill with Yakupov, in which he outraced the rookie in a sprint-and-pivot race to the puck, then dangled him with a sick move that required a totally-unexpected (by me) change of direction. For that moment at least, Whitney did not look like a guy with a chronically bad wheel.”

Key phrases: “may never be 100% again” … “for that moment”. I probably should have elaborated which direction he had to pivot for that specific drill, eh. Speaks to the perils and pitfalls of “saw him good” even if just for a fleeting moment.

The other key phrase which did get a little air came from my interview with Whitney later that week, when he talked about “a new 100%”. By eye that appeared to be 100% of about 60%. Too damn bad, really.

prairieschooner:
    Ryan Whitnes”injury was self inflicted.
    The surgeries did not work as well as he hoped.
    It was always his choice to have the surgeries.
    He had one done in Pittsburgh and the Ducks paid the medical bill?
    He had the other surgery done with Anaheim and the Oilers paid that bill?
    I blame the oilers for a total lack of due diligence.
    I have no sympathy for Whitney

Also,

I have Paul Holgren at -130 to be the GM to give Whitney a multi-year contract.

26. Scarlett100 says:

It’s really too bad Whitney is so clueless or doesn’t want to face reality. He had a bad year and deserved the scratches. Did some other Dmen? Sure but they were all fighting for spot #6 and all were bad options. Too bad for him….used to be a very good defenseman. I guess he can’t face that he’s not that player anymore. Bad choice of throwing teammates under the bus. Yikes!

27. dangilitis says:

prairieschooner,

Agreed on everything, except I think the Oilers weren’t the only team that would have made that trade at the time. To many, he looked like he was putting the foot stuff behind him, and the early going in Edmonton proved this point. He actually gave a shit too, I remember him coming in with 20 or so games left in another lost season in Edmonton, and him speaking about how the team shouldn’t just be mailing it in, and he showed this on the ice.

The funny thing is that Anaheim didn’t really reap the benefit of the trade either. They signed Souray to fill Lubo’s role at a reduced price (and he filled in quite admirably in this tole), then got rid of Lubo’s hefty contract. In turn, NYI were the ones who seemed to have benefitted from getting a legitimate top 4 Dman at the price of a 4th rounder. What did we get in return for 4th round picks? Oh, that’s right, Smithson and Brown.

As for Whitney’s comments, they pretty much negate any sympathy created for him in OilChange, etc. about being the good soldier. Newsflash Whitney, any “real good team” wouldn’t even want you filling their number 7, and if a “real good team” took a shot and were counting on you at 5-6 role, they would no longer be a “real good team.” The only thing you were right about is that you don’t need (or deserve) any more money. Maybe you should enjoy early retirement, or better yet, become a used car salesman, because you sure talk a lot of shit to sell people on your game, but you’re about as beaten up as my old ’87 Sentra…

28. VanOil says:

Ralphs exit interview up on the Oilers site is recommended viewing. We are going to get bigger.

Hemksy needs a hug.

29. justDOit says:

VanOil:

…Hemksy needs a hug.

Just be careful to mind his shoulder(s). Warranty on those surgeries is up, you know.

30. Ducey says:

Woodguy: A rut in Rexall slush blew an ankle tendons off the bone as well as the foot thing.

Also,

I have Paul Holgren at -130 to be the GM to give Whitney a multi-year contract.

Is Whitney becoming a goalie?

Ducey: Is Whitney becoming a goalie?

Snider’s desperation for 1LD is greater than the Oilers.

Any time Snider is desperate comedy ensues.

RK from his avail

“You definitely need 3 lines of scoring in today’s NHL”

That sound you heard was LT fainting.

33. flyfish1168 says:

I’m sorry we didn’t trade him at the deadline for a bag of pucks. Then his arrogance can be wiped from his face.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    RK from his avail

“You definitely need 3 lines of scoring in today’s NHL”

That sound you heard was LT fainting.

His huge praise of the 4th line from about the 20min mark on is troubling.

35. Ducey says:

flyfish1168:

I am sorry we didn’t trade him because he walked and the Oilers got nothing.

36. justDOit says:

flyfish1168:

I think that the offers for him were about 1 bag short of that though.

VanOil: Holgren

Thanks for the tip.

I want to run through a wall for Ralph.

Relished telling everyone that he sent out his 4th against the other team’s best.

I’m convinced he looks to get his own 1/2 lines weak match ups more than matching his own PvP.

Will match Dpairs all game long though.

Woodguy:
    RK from his avail

“You definitely need 3 lines of scoring in today’s NHL”

That sound you heard was LT fainting.

Won’t happen. Urban legend, cow tipping.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: I think that the offers for him were about 1 bag short of that though.

I’m not sure we’ll be able to settle this until Whitney signs somewhere. Then, I gather, we’ll have some insight into his value at the deadline…

that or someone spills the beans on what was offered/turned down, or if any offer was ever actually made…

the latter seems unlikely. But Whitney has stirred the pot and we may see a vindictive leak to the media in retaliation…

40. Maverick says:

Woodguy,

That was a HUGE tell last night by MacT. The title of Mr.Dithers will always be associated with Tambellini now.

Truly sad remarks from Whitney. Two years ago some were suggesting the Captaincy for Whitney but now we can see his true colors. Really sad. Wish Dithers would have gotten any kind of draft pick for Whitney and now he walks (limps) into the sunset.

Lowetide: Won’t happen. Urban legend, cow tipping.

Stare into a mirror and chant “Bill Torrey” 3 times and a 3rd scoring line will appear.

42. Racki says:

Maverick:
    Woodguy,

That was a HUGE tell last night by MacT.The title of Mr.Dithers will always be associated with Tambellini now.

Truly sad remarks from Whitney.Two years ago some were suggesting the Captaincy for Whitney but now we can see his true colors.Really sad.Wish Dithers would have gotten any kind of draft pick for Whitney and now he walks (limps) into the sunset.

43. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Media fight! Media fight! Media fight!

Seriously, this could get interesting on or about July 1. If I was a betting man, I would say that Whitney’s next on-line purchase will be “Russian for Dummies”.

Romulus Apotheosis: His huge praise of the 4th line from about the 20min mark on is troubling.

We’ll see if it works once he has better than AHL players to put there and 1/2 does better scoring 5v5.

45. gr8one says:

Woodguy:

It was time to stop “management by neglect”

Loved that.

46. sliderule says:

Whitney was paid 4million bucks to play thirty feet from the boards all around the rink.

If you asked the oil for an exit interview with respect to him they would tell you that.

Bruce McCurdy,

That’s the quote.

One tumbler, 4 fingers of Writer’s Tears on the rocks and we’re even.

48. Maverick says:

Racki: I’m not implying any mishandling or anything, but interesting parallel to Sheldon Souray (although Souray was pretty up and down here… but at one point, fans were suggesting he should be captain). Things can change pretty quick here. But I thought Whitney had been dragging this team down for a bit more than just this year with his play/injury problems.. so in now way am I implying that we should have kept him, or he was unjustly benched.

Interestingly parallel to Souray in alot of ways. Definitely time to turn the page on another veteran player that didn’t work out in Edmonton.

49. supernova says:

Also,

I have Paul Holgren at -130 to be the GM to give Whitney a multi-year contract.

I would say Rutherford In Carolima would be the favourite.

Especially if he follows through on his comments about signing on the cheap. Key teammates ( hall, and ebs) were advocates and buddies of Whitney. Players love living in NC and Whitney would integrate himself with the Staals.

50. maudite says:

For once, I would like this to just pass. Hopefully the oil take the high road and don’t leak anything. Just walk away. Saying it’s unfortunate and they wish him all the best.

51. supernova says:

Don’t you wish more players had this candour?

It was clear the staff preferred other players and also really only viewed him or Fistric ( potter was almost always in the lineup) after the halfway point as Press box worthy.

I think it is fair for him to call out the obvious on a team that struggled Defensivly why weren’t more D scratched? If we truly want to improve at the very least send a message. Not a single D on this team weren’t above scratch material at some point this season.

Fair to say but rare.

I credit him for having fire in the belly, someone else might benefit from this fire.

52. supernova says:

maudite,

Agree, Don’t even comment, aside from saying thank you for all your contributions and we wish you the best.

53. Racki says:

I think Lowe should schedule a barn fight with Ryan Whitney

supernova: I would say Rutherford In Carolima would be the favourite.

I think Rutherford and others would grab him on the cheap in a heartbeat.

I think Holmgren, urged by Snider, might throw term and $ at him.

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    Bruce McCurdy,

That’s the quote.

One tumbler, 4 fingers of Writer’s Tears on the rocks and we’re even.

OK. I need to get a new bottle though, I killed the old one last night.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Like I mentioned later, I’m convinced he does that to get easy ice for his own 1/2.

I think you are bang on with his coaching philosophy: screw the matchups, get the kids out there!!

But… I’d be a lot more comfortable with that if two things happened:

1) mgt. found reliable 2nd through 4th lines. Good luck MacT!

2) the coach didn’t give the appearance of being impressed with the performance of his terrible 4th line.

57. supernova says:

How does everyone feel about the article out of Winnipeg yesterday about Byfugelien?

I would take him in a second and I can see the oilers and jets being good trade partners.

I think jets would be listening intently if the Oil started with Hemsky plus something and throw in Omark.They need a skill RW to play second line duty really bad.

58. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Whitney’s interview is being blown out of proportion IMO. It’s been said here as well that on a very good team Whitney could be an easy minutes 3rd pairing, PP1 option. In that role he would likely do much better than here where he was expected to play defense (gasp). He clearly has a chip on his shoulder but it’s gotta be hard accepting “the new 100%” maybe isn’t NHL caliber. Definitely a gaffe, but nothing particularly astonishing.

As for Krueger. I have no clue why he failed to line-match, but I’m not opposed to playing this team how they should be deployed instead of trying to cover the holes. Stanley cup contenders have serviceable shutdown 3rd and 4th lines. He could have gotten more wins with better deployment, but for a development year it is probably more clear now who can play the expected roles of the future. I’m not declaring that was the intention but it would make sense if you are playing the games today planning for games in 2 years.

59. Racki says:

supernova:

Buffy is a double edged sword.. on one hand, he’s huge, physical, and a point getting machine on the blueline. On the other hand, he’s lazy as hell defensively. When he’s on, he’s really on though. So he can be a game breaker. I think he might be a little too expensive for the team since he’s signed til 2016, but ignoring that, I’d still be happy with him cause of the beast he can be.

Step in the right direction, for sure, but I wonder if there is a better fit for the team out there.

60. Racki says:

Krueger on his lack of line matching.. not that I agree or get what he’s trying to say, but here’s his comments:

“Offensively we like the fact that we can roll through four lines and feel good about our lineup. I find that creating pace right now with our lineup has been the key and the match-up has been a secondary thing that we look for — maybe off a TV timeout. In the flow of the game, especially the first six minutes until the TV timeouts show up, I think it’s important for us to find our pace, find our legs early, get a good start and not worry so much. I think everybody has shown they can play against the top lines of the other teams. It must be more about us today than about them.”

61. Rondo says:

Racki,

I don’t think he would be inspired to play hard in Edmonton, he needs a better team with star veterans like Chicago Pitts Boston. Edmonton is the wrong culture Buff would drive the team and fans crazy

62. Racki says:

Rondo:
    Racki,

I don’t think he would be inspired to play hard in Edmonton, he needs a better team with star veterans likeChicago PittsBoston.Edmonton is the wrong cultureBuff would drive the team and fans crazy

63. hunter1909 says:

I have a cousin who played major junior…a big 6’3″ 215 ape of a defenceman who prior to his draft year got injured, never developed, end of that dream. Whitney’s played in the NHL, made millions, and can fuck off back to wherever he likes because the fact is, he contributed more to the Oilers lost season than Cam Barker ever did. Typical Irish delusional eijit.

Hilariously I knew he was going to be useless even before the season started, and would wager that half this board reckoned the same. Now we’re amateurs, and our opinions don’t matter much but Tambellini on the other hand was paid to evaluate this kind of shit and deservedly got canned for being even stupider than Whitney, who in all fairness is free to think and say he’s capable of doing anything.

Tambo’s such a talk the talk – then run for the hills as soon as the going gets rough type, he might as well work for the US State department.

MacTavish to his credit said at one point last night he has zero intention of trading any of the cool under 24 players, for more reasons than this but he did manage to say that he’s deluged by the local fans not to do anything Burke-ish.

Speaking of Mister media junkie…does Brian Burke work for the US Government? Internet trolling is about the only thing that provides an ersatz “voice’ to the 99% new serf class. Maybe it would be good when they finally start clamping down on this last bastion of free, non fascist friendly communication, thus says the Harper/Obamas.

Racki: Agree with every word you wrote. Ralph has some nice things, and some 1950′s thinking that counters that.

65. hunter1909 says:

Racki: I do like Krueger, but I think it’s hard to argue his point being correct when the Oilers finish out of the playoffs, and nearly finished 3rd last.

“Management by neglect”. Craig MacTavish(GM of the Edmonton Oilers)

66. supernova says:

Racki: Yah I wouldn’t argue against what you’re saying at all… he has a different attitude than the players here, for sure.

You could be right , I would be more worried about the fans than the players.

I just wonder if attitude is way over blown by ‘peg media, evander Kane, and buff are good players maybe not leaders and in Canada we tend to cannibalize those players.

67. Rondo says:

Steven Santini sounds like the perfect pick for the Oilers in the 2nd round.

68. kinger_OIL says:

Last year, when RK was announced as head coach, I mentioned on this site that it was surprising how life works out, that the fired coach of a B-country national team, who only got the job because Quinn asked the current Swiss coach if he wanted the job, and he said: “I can’t, but why don’t you ask Ralph: he’s looking for a job”… I got crucified for suggesting that he isn’t the profile of a NHL coach that turns around a team. Ralph is the ultimate “company man” but he’s no good with these kind of players. He’s a smart guy, a great communicator, but he’s out of his element. Certainly he’s not the reason they aren’t a playoff team this year, but he won’t be the coach when they actually get good: book it.

69. spoiler says:

The internet has the ability to magnify and intensify the teensiest minutiae, but this was still not a stellar day for Whitney’s brain. This was obviously a pretty emotional season for him and he let those emotions get the better of him in the exit interview. Too bad. I like players who have to climb a tremendous mountain of personal obstacles, as my own body has betrayed me a few times over the years and I can empathize with their travails… but part of that is having the grace to put a good face on things. It’s not an innate ability–not for everyone anyway, and certainly not for me–and hopefully Whitney will learn and grow from the experience he gained this day.

The lessons Life teaches are never cheap, but they’re always worth the vig.

I wish him the best, wherever he ends up… these players make millions, but really no price can be put on one’s health.

70. Gret99zky says:

Wait and see,

Whitney will sign with another team and win the Norris next year.

;)

71. flyfish1168 says:

Gret99zky,

I’ll take you on that bet anytime any where. I no your kidding.

72. Ryan says:

Whitney will sign with Anaheim play with beauchemin, put up 34 points and finish the season at +44.

Oh wait, that was Souray.

I don’t care what Whitney had to say, but I’d sure like that 2nd/ or 3rd rounder we could have gotten at the deadline.

73. kinger_OIL says:

I’ve got three or more vents and themes in my follow-up: RK of course will deservedly be given the benefit of doubt for this shortened season. T-Mac, who must have missed the strategy and negotiation courses during his MBA by showing his hand to his potential trade partners prior to actually doing anything, will despite this, shuffle the roster around (not Blue Jay improvement). Then next year things still won’t be clicking, as are the Jays, with Gibbons (who like RK, wouldn’t have been hired as head coach for any other organization other than the home team) will hopefully be dumped. Then you have to hope that the rookie GM will take the team to the promise land – even though he, like Lowe, think there play were the reasons the OIL won their cups… T-Mac is no Bob Gainey, Jack Adams or Larry Robinson if you follow me.

74. Ryan says:

The good news is that Mact should already be very aware as to whether or not Kreuger was ankle burning.

75. leadfarmer says:

This year management by neglect, next year by incompetence.

76. Ryan says:

kinger_OIL,

That’s fair. There’s a big gap between someone sounding bright and articulate and having a proven track record or even actually being effective in their role.

One could argue hiring both a coach with no nhl head coaching experience or any great level of success in NA hockey, then following it up by hiring a GM who has no experience are both bad bets.

Reminds me of my friend’s dad growing up… He was a bright guy and smooth talker… Despite not having any experience, he was hired by Ledcor to work as a foreman on a building project. He was fired at some point when the building was half constructed. The work had to be torn down, but that didn’t stop him from having cliff over for drinks for years.

77. bookje says:

There do seem to be a lot of these bitter breakups with the Oilers and problesm in the dressing room have been a standard for quite some time.

Doesn’t this level of communication fall to the assistant coaches?

78. Ribs says:

Poor guy.

…And there’s zero chance he’s back in Anaheim. The players there pretty well kicked him off the team.

79. Ducey says:

Captain Happy:
    Gregor with a great column on what MacT needs to do going forward:

It may be what you want to hear, but it astounds me that Gregor gets paid to talk about hockey. I read dozens of better posts from a lot more insightful people on this site everyday. I am getting excited about LT raising the standard in about 12 hours.

Nervous LT? :)

80. smellyglove says:

Ribs,

Tambo’s such a talk the talk –then run for the hills as soon as the going gets rough type, he might as well work for the US State department.

KXL?

81. maudite says:

Ducey: It may be what you want to hear, but it astounds me that Gregor gets paid to talk about hockey.I read dozens of better postsfrom a lot more insightful people on this site everyday.I am getting excited about LT raising the standard in about 12 hours.

Nervous LT?

Gregor may not be the most insightful, but he’s good radio. Gift for gab, you can tell he really enjoys and is excited when talking about sports and, just as importantly, has an open mind. I never have a problem listening to Gregor’s show if it comes on when I’m driving. The guy is good at what he does and comes off nowhere near the level of arrogant or obtuse that a Spector or a lot of the syndicated shows you listen to do. The guy is good at his job and keeps conversations rolling. Not in love with the guy, just think that slag is a bit uncalled for. He’s solid mainstream sports radio. There is a place on the dial for that and I’m happy it’s locally filled by him.

I am glad LT will be on more often as for whatever reason I seem to be on the road in dead air type spots frequently on saturdays and miss his current slot. That or likely out for hungover brunch.

Sorry, back to actual intent of post. While I would love to believe out with Tambo is the start of some radical shift, I have my doubts that his tenure was overly independent. It doesn’t smell right. The whole “look at Mac T say the right things!”, while soothing to the ears has the reek of business type dealings where the guy sent packing gets all the shit shoveled on him. I think people might be getting a little too far ahead of themselves with their excitement about the ‘change’. Especially when you see the move Dallas just pulled so shortly after. Was he the best candidate? Who knows because they never bothered to look. That still stinks.

82. Gret99zky says:

Ales Hemsky earned $555,555.56 per goal this year.

Sublime.

Shawn Horcoff earned $857,142.86 per goal.

83. stevezie says:

Ribs,

You say this based on what? Honest question.

The Whitney thing is a tempest in ateapot. If he would have said, “I thought I was good enough to play” no one would begredge him the opinionn. He had better believe he is good enough to play, he is a proffesional athlete.
    Well, that is what he said, he just used the wrong words. This will hurt his personal relationships, but no one pays him to choose the right words.

People on here bitching that Cherry is a rascist are even further out of their minds. He said he loves Nail about four times during the segment, he just doesn’t like big celebrations. He never has; he used to roast Fleury for them too. He contrasted Nail with good Canadian boy Pat Kane.
    We all love Nails, but let’s, as a fan base, pull a few out and come down from our cross.
    (I know that is a few days old, sorry.)

84. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey

“I read dozens of better posts from a lot more insightful people on this site everyday”

Duce I appreciate your kind words.

30, 30, 29, 24 Astonishingly, it was all StevenTambellini’s fault. Alone. No one else, just Steve.
    Amateur scouts, top notch. Player development, top notch. Pro scouting, top notch. Salary cap management, again, top notch. We must have 4 or 5 guys from OKC banging down the door for NHL roster spots …..right

Lots to do, not as much time as many here think because RNH, JSchultz & YAK will soon be looking to get paid real money.

85. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

Best of luck in the new mid morning gig. Already missed you Saturday afternoon

86. stevezie says:

Gret99zky,

You’re right, the amount we pay per goal was the problem. We were just shy of reaching the amount of unsed capspace required to qualify for the league’s points subsidy.

87. maudite says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Ducey

Duce I appreciate yourkind words.

Amateur scouts, top notch. Player development, top notch. Pro scouting, top notch. Salary cap management, again, top notch. We must have 4 or 5 guys from OKCbanging down the door for NHLroster spots …..right

TheOtherJohn:
    Ducey

Duce I appreciate yourkind words.

Yeah the mirage that is bringing in high priced AHL ringers to field a competitive squad under the guise of development is something that irks me. There is some light (the rajala type things are good to see) but watching the way MPS was bounced up and down, press boxed, neglected and sort of too frozen to cause a defensive issue or make a mistake (while often skating with below NHL replacement level talent) and calling it development (or the whole drowning Lander for a season) and pretending we have really advanced much in the way of developing things is such a crock. Even the whole Omark scenario (guy puts up 27 points in 51 games and the line of Horc, MPS, Omark appears to have some decent chemistry down the stretch…to get buried in the minors…kill the minors…then get jerked around and not played over face punchers). Just brutal stuff. Our amateur drafting does appear to be holding their own and is batting above average in the later rounds (getting some real positive signs in the later rounds when it likely falls solely on the scouting staff to step to the podium) but the other parts are still far from seeing handing a gold star to. Lots of work to be done on every level. Great that the deck is loaded but have a long way to go to prove they know how to play the hand or even shuffle…

88. maudite says:

We hopefully see a change at this years draft. Hopefully we don’t draft an Oil King well out of place because they liked watching him (the old “that patrick o’sullivan guy really kills us” seen him good style thing…)

89. asiaoil says:

Couple quick points:

Whitney is an ass – got paid top pair money for years and was injured or playing like a #7 for 3/4 of his contract. Completely deluded and classless exit interview. You all know I have zero time for the mgmt group – but this is all on Whitney – don’t let the door hit you on your way out of the NHL buddy.

Kruger was asked about his assistants and he only talked about Freddy and the video guy – not one mention of Bucky and Smith who I guarantee are both as useful as teats on a bull. This is my tell about MacT – can he get rid of obviously useless old boys and get Kruger some real support? I’m sure MacT remembers what it was like to be hamstrung like this by Lowe – let’s see if he has the brains/balls/authority to change anything.

90. VOR says:

I love how you all can just ignore the simple truth. Every 60 minutes Justin Schultz was not on the ice 5v5 this year the Oilers outscored their opponents by nearly a goal. When Justin Schultz was on the ice for 60 minutes of 5v5 the Oilers got outscored by 1.25 goals. For Ryan Whitney the goals for and goals against on and off for 60 are almost identical. Yet Whitney is shit and Justin Schultz walks on water. Despite what the fantasists believe outscoring your opponents is still what wins hockey games. Whitney wasn’t great but Schultz was terrible. What was he, 831st in the NHL in plus minus? A veteran player dares to suggest that some unnamed player didn’t earn their ice time (ice time that came at his expense) and you all compare the guy to the scrubs and ignore the Schultzes who played some of the worst defensive hockey in the NHL this year and didn’t produce anywhere near enough offence to compensate for it.

To suggest that Whitney has a character flaw for pointing out that press boxing him while playing the bubonic plague pairing of S&S seems to me to say you hate the guy for goring your ox. If Nick and Justin has not played this year then Whitney would have been the Oilers worst defenceman by miles. As was Whitney was average on the Oilers. That should give you a really good idea how bad our showcase pairing was. Those two underacheivers managed to make a pathetic defensive player statistically average by pulling the curve into the abyss.

Or as I have said again and again, Whitney wasn’t the problem. He wasn’t the solution but he wasn’t the problem. The problem was a rookie coach and a rookie D neither of whom weren’t ready for the NHL.

91. bookje says:

Having read the full comments by Whitney, I am not too offended by them. He did say a few regrettable things, but he also couched them with lots of respectful comments for his coach and other teammates.

92. Kris11 says:

Sample size. That is all.

““`

Also, I think many here would agree that Justin Schultz didn’t walk on water at all. His Corsi numbers weren’t that great either, and by eye he had some HUA plays. They’re just more forgiving of a rookie defenseman who has serious offensive potential than a guy who plays on a peg leg.

N. Schultz is not so great either.

But Whitney was seven shades of awful.

Gret99zky:
    Ales Hemsky earned $555,555.56 per goal this year.

Sublime.

Shawn Horcoff earned $857,142.86 per goal.

Somebody is really, really bad at arithmetic. 48 games, not 82. Plus, one doesn’t know the final amount returned from escrow.

TheOtherJohn:
    Ducey

RNH, JSchultz, and Yak already have real impact in cap dollars. RNH is likely going on a 2-year transition contract (like Duschene), since next year will be a recovery year, and his point totals will still be depressed. So his cap number will not go up on a two-year deal by much, if at all.

The cap number for JSchultz, if he goes on a two-year transitional deal, will also not go up very much. Only if he goes on a long term deal immediately will his cap number go up significantly. And as we know, Schultz has a mind of his own, and may wait on long term until he is sold on new management.

Ditto for Yak in two year.s But if he breaks out offensively, he is likely to be signed to one of those $6 million dollar deals.

One figures Nugent-Hopkins and Justin Schultz are headed for 2-year transitional deals, so they will be relatively cap frieindly for three more seasons.

Petry’s contract after next season will have more cap impact than the new contracts for Nugent-Hopkins and Schultz.

95. Ducey says:

Look at most of the prospects from Detroit. They receive much the same treatment.

96. hags9k says:

Racki,

And they could tip a few cows on the way.

97. Ribs says:

stevezie: You say this based on what? Honest question.

I remember seeing the TSN clips of him jarring with teammates before the trade and the first game he played against them there was no love lost. He took a slashing penalty and then a 10 minute misconduct penalty for a screaming match at the Ducks bench.

98. VOR says:

Kris 11,

““Despite what the fantasists believe outscoring your opponents is still what wins hockey games.”

Sample size. That is all.”

So Kris, I am surprised to hear that you actually think that if you had a large enough sample size that outscoring your oppostion would no longer matter to winning hockey games.

As long as outscoring matters, and I firmly maintain it always will, Ryan Whitney should have been playing and Justin Schultz shouldn’t have based on their performance over the year. Because over the year Whitney’s goal differential was almost .75 goals per 60 minutes played better than Justin Schultz.

99. art vandelay says:

The best part is the amount of butt-hurt this is causing Oilers fans, who lined up 12 deep to lick Lowetavishson’s ballsack when the “brain trust” suspended Souray for “actions detrimental to the team” or whatever b.s. excuse they used.
    Must be awful to be fans of the NHL’s Worst Franchise ™.

art vandelay:
    The best part is the amount of butt-hurt this is causing Oilers fans, who lined up 12 deep to lick Lowetavishson’s ballsack when the “brain trust” suspendedSouray for “actions detrimental to the team” or whatever b.s. excuse they used.
    Must be awful to be fans of the NHL’s Worst Franchise ™.

Not at all true

101. art vandelay says:

Well, maybe not you. But that’s why you’re the radio host and the others are the callers, so to speak. You have perspective. The other 99% have hysteria wrapped in an Oil drop.
    If any of us had a choice of 30 employers, who would choose to work for a company that would bury an employee for basically saying, “it’s a shit show around here.”
    Oiler fan can bleat all he wants about why Souray shouldn’t have said what he said. That’s hardly the point. These guys have UFA at a young age. Once they top out on salary and term, the other things come into play: weather, organizational professionalism, opportunity to win, etc.
    Edmonton is already in the bottom, um, 1 for weather.
    The opportunity to win is nebulous and fleeting for most teams but coming off 30, 30, 29 it’s a Tolkien fantasy around here.
    And a free arena/revitalized downtown won’t distinguish Edmonton from any other NHL city.
    So the team can’t afford to be anything less than top-notch in terms of how they treat their players, even if the players don’t always love them back.
    One over-hyped, under-nourished college-boy Dman signing as a UFA does not a trend make.
    They treated Whitney like an AHLer on his first callup. And all the rel-Corsi or advanced stats or whatever Staples is trying to use to justify that shabby treatment doesn’t change that essential fact.
    You’d think Team Mickey Mouse would have learned a thing or two when they ran Jason Arnott out of town.

102. mustang says:

I agree with whoever said J.Schultz is the player Whitney was referencing. Schultz could have been healthy scratched quite abit in my opinion, his defensive coverage was poor to terrible especially later in the season. RK kept throwing him out there to learn those “important lesson’s” he’s the future not Whitney…he’s done like Thanksgiving dinner.