START AGAIN FROM ZERO

We’ve got all spring to  look at this thing all different ways, but the bottom line is this: the Oilers have their jacks and kings, but need those 6′s and 7′s and 9′s in the right amount. How many pieces do they need? Oh, about the same number as last season!

Here’s last summer’s list taken from this August post and I have included original points (we can see how things like Ryan Whitney’s positive news turned out):

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. Oilers did not address this area, although some may feel the positive news re: Ryan Whitney will suffice. A major item.
  2. A better Renney. Tom Renney is out, Ralph Krueger is in. Based on what we know, and the verbal from all corners, this appears to be a positive move. I expect we’ll see some form of the trap, especially when this young team is in a close game.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar. Won the Schultz race, incredibly. I know that old timey guys like me ramble on about this, but winning the day on Justin Schultz is historic for the Oilers. Crazy, man, crazy.
  4. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. I think Yann Danis is a suitable “replacement level” solution to the problem, and would suggest that the Oilers feel comfortable moving forward with their goaltending group. I know this is an area of worry for many, and the lack of quality behind Dubnyk is extremely likely to cost points. Anyone arguing the Oilers are not serious about making the second season in year three of the Hall era need only point to the goaltending position.
  5. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). The Oilers quickly re-signed Lennart Petrell and haven’t looked at anyone else since then. I think they are making a mistake, but as this is a very under-reported area of need pretty much worldwide, I’ll assume that others feel Edmonton has enough in this area.
  6. Ryan Smyth or similar. Smyth did return, and possibly to the role mentioned in point #5. I don’t think he’ll be placed in the offensive situations of the past, but make no mistake: bringing back Smyth for such a young team was a key item.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed. Got ‘em all done, the major ones too. The Petry contract is extremely likely to be high value, the Gagner contract probably means he’s going to get squeezed by all of the other contracts that need to be signed in the next 12 months.

The problems we have today were the things that Steve Tambellini did not address last summer:

1. A top pairing defenseman (now rumored to be Mark Streit).
  2. A reasonable goaltending option (now rumored to be Nikolai Khabibulin).
  3. An established two-way winger (no rumors, distressing).

Let’s say they trade Sam Gagner and Teemu Hartikainen to Columbus for Ryan Johansen and RJ Umberger. That’s an Oiler type move, right? Giving up the best player in the deal for a prospect they covet and an overpaid veteran? Seems about right.

• Goal: Dubnyk, Khabibulin
  • Defense: Smid-Petry, Streit-J Schultz, N Schultz-Klefbom, Potter
  • Center: Nuge, Johansen, Horcoff, Lander, Belanger
  • Left Wing: Hall, Umberger, Paajarvi, Smyth, Eager
  • Right Wing: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Brown

I’m using hypberole here with the re-signing of NK and the return of Eager, but the point is the Oilers (based on their own past) are unlikely to aim higher.  The entire issue could be solved easily if MacT adds “should we be aiming higher?” to his “are you sure you want to do that?” but it remains to be seen if the Oilers sign from the A or B list.

The foundation is this:

• Goal: Dubnyk
  • Defense: Smid-Petry, -J Schultz
  • Center: Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff
  • Left Wing: Hall, Paajarvi, Hartikainen
  • Right Wing: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky

That’s a baker’s dozen, ladies and gents. The Oilers need to choose the final ten wisely. And it’s likely a good idea to start again from zero.

112 Responses to "START AGAIN FROM ZERO"

shuffle the roster with a major trade for a PF

Lucic is having a bad year.

Never been a big fan of his, but he has 1 goal in the last 24 games and is slated to become the most expensive BOS forward at $6MM/yr next year and they need to make some cap roo.

I can see the Oilers giving the Sun, Moon and Stars for him to come here and put up 17 goals per season for $6MM/yr.

He’s big and shiny.

Right up their alley.

2. FrankenOil says:

I’m going to re-post this from the end of the last thread:

I find it interesting that many are pumping Horvat and slagging Lazar. I read someone saying he has “size” when he is the exact same size as Lazar – both are around 6′-0″. Here is the comparison on their stat line as well:

Horvat : 68GP 33G 28A 61Pts 29PIM +3
    Lazar : 72GP 38G 23A 61Pts 47PIM +25

Lazar’s TSN DraftCentre profile by Craig Button:

Curtis has the puck skills of top scorers. He can beat you with a shot from 35 feet out or by skating past a defender given the opportunity. He has excellent offensive instincts and a great release on his shot. He is very good in traffic and he is a player who bears down in the scoring areas to get his opportunities. His skating is very good and his quickness may be better than his speed, but he’s a guy who can play at a high pace and tempo. He gets involved and will assert physically to win the puck and gain advantages. He is good all around player who finds a way to impact the game in many ways, even physically. He has excellent playing sense and reads and anticipates the play very well, which combined with his skill, makes him very hard to keep in check. Comparable Style: Patrick Sharp

I keep reading goal scorer, (which is true – you don’t get 38 goals by accident – for comparison’s sake Eberle had 42 in his draft year), plays with intensity (hmm, the Oilers don’t need that do they? We are always talking on this blog about how high the compete level is on this team), and plays with pysicality. Lazar is not going to be a reach of Morozian proportions. I kept reading that he doesn’t belong in the 10-15 range even though ISS has him at #11 and McKenzie dropped him at mid-season from #9 to #25 mainly because of his scoring drought in October when he didn’t score a single goal.I will bet that in McKenzie’s final rankings, we will see him back in the 12-18 range. The Lazar bashing is getting absolutely ridiculous, almost to the levels of the media bashing Hemsky pre-2011 trade deadline.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Mantha at around 10 as well. I just don’t think Lazar is as big a reach as many around here are proclaiming.

The thing about Lazar is that he’s in the top 10 in PP goals and he played miles less than the other guys.

4. FrankenOil says:

Exactly. I am not trying to say the Oilers absolutely must draft the kid, but I just don’t understand the vitriol against him on this blog from many of the posters. When I’ve seen him play, I’ve been utterly impressed. Him and Samuelsson were THE guys for the OK in the Memorial Cup last year. I kept shaking my head at the presence of a 17 yr old on junior hockey’s biggest stage. And, after hearing many people talk, that’s the way the kid is – he lives for the big stage.

5. Cobbler says:

FrankenOil,

The Lazar “bashing” seems to come from a place where people believe it is a foregone conclusion that the Oilers draft him. They have featured him on their website and he does play within the hockey ops “organization”.

Probably more reflects on how management is perceived rather than the player, in that they seem to make up their minds early on a player that is in their system and don’t drift too far from that (e.g. Moroz).

I feel they will take Lazar if they are in range and he hasn’t fallen too far. I really just want them to take a centre this year, have that player learn the ropes in OKC for a year or two and be ready to contribute when Nuge, Ebs, Hall and Yak are really hitting their stride as a forward group.

They need a potential 2C to replace Gagner is a couple years (assuming he is re-signed for that term). Perhaps a Lazar, perhaps a Johansen?

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I genuinely don’t understand how these CBJ rumors keep circulating (Methot, JJ, now Johansen, Umberger) and the Tyutin prize doesn’t come up.

One can only assume these rumors filter down from something of tangible interest to the Oiler mgt. How they can keep staring at the CBJs without looking at Tyutin doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

Speaking of the possible Leafs deal being bandied around yesterday… yes please!

I’d love to have Grabo… looks like he’s middle of the pack QC and nearly keeping his head above water at corsirel:

last year with a full season and a different coach even better results:

Living in Toronto I can safely say via anecdotal chatter that Grabo gets the Hemsky treatment. He wouldn’t be welcomed by the media here in EDM and most likely by mgt. as well.

Gardiner makes too much sense to actually happen. he can play with Schultz and he’s the same age group as the cluster… never happen.

7. Racki says:

It’s too bad we didn’t land Ben Bishop. He’d have been a good guy to play with Dubnyk. I have always liked Khabibulin, but really, he now seems to explode into a million pieces after two or so games. So he isn’t a suitable backup for an 82 game stretch. Danis.. well, he seems to be utterly useless at the NHL level, to be quite blunt, at this stage of his career. He is RFA this year, so maybe if things go sour with TB, there is opportunity for a trade.

The UFA market doesn’t have much in the way of value contract goaltenders. I have a fear that the Oilers will throw money at another aging goaltender.. maybe a Nabokov or Theodore. Maybe they play the safe bet and just re-sign Khabi (safe in their minds)… maybe they offer Ray Emery some cash. Who knows. They definitely need to address this area though. I peg Dubnyk for about 40-45 very reliable games. Someone will need to balance the rest of the load.

Mike Smith might also be a guy we could look at, although I’d imagine he’ll come at a price, if available in the UFA market. But it would be good to have a goaltender that can handle the puck. Both Dubnyk and Khabibulin handle the puck like their stick is upside down – especially Dubnyk.

I think their big goal for the offseason is.. well.. too get big. Someone’s got to go in our talent pool, and I figure it to be Gagner, as much as I’d hate to see him go (always been a big supporter of him, even during the “he’s not a #1C” days). But in order to land the type of player we need, other than through the draft and with a long wait, we’re going to have to give up a guy like Gagner, Eberle, Yakupov.. and I don’t want to see either of the two latter names go. I suppose there is also Paajarvi too. I don’t think he quite has caught other GMs eyes quite as much as Gagner would have.

There are also a few UFA names out there… Nathan Horton, David Clarkson and Ryane Clowe. I think these are all good players, but I can’t see the Oilers too involved there. They could go with longshot players, re-visiting Dustin Penner… or take a risk on the off-injured Guillaume Latendresse. No thanks there, though.

Really, I don’t see much movement by the Oilers. They did try some good adds at this year’s deadline (Bishop, Talbot), but I don’t know if they can pull anything off in the off-season. I’d like to see Smithson and Fistric back at the very least, but we’ll need more than just this.

8. DBO says:

LT, what has MacT done in the past for you to continually talk about his big brain and him making the smart, common sense decisions. Do you have inside info as to what he has done, or recommended, in the past. Just curious as you often preface these off season posts with things about how MacT will hopefully ask the tough and right question. Man I hope you are right, but what have they done since he has arrived that leads you to think he adds anything other then “great idea Kevin, let’s tell Steve to do that”.

As for moves, we can all post our hopes (and I always do), but I really think they just ride along as is, and maybe overpay for Streit (who is old. Why do we keep talking about adding old vets). Is Streit that good other then offensively?
    - He has a negative On Corsi = -1.33 (5th for dmen on his team)
    - He gets a pretty big zone push = 54% O zone start, 51% O zone finish
    - He has the worst plus minus on the team by a large margin = -14
    - HIs Corsi relative is 5th on his team = -.04
    - He gets huge PP minutes = 3.47 per game
    - almost half his points are form the PP (10 of his 23) and we don;t need much help in that area
    - He is soft as butter and small (5’11, 191 lbs)
    - Did I mention he is old = 35 (Dec bday)
    - And it was rumoured he wanted a 3 year deal for around $5 mill per.

Seriously, why are we wanting this guy? Don’t get me wrong, he is clearly the dumbass kind of move I expect from this management team, but there has to be better options then overpaying an old, soft, sheltered dman whose only skill seems to be PP prowess, and we have an older broken down one who will probably be cheaper in Whitney, and god help us if we sign him. Has anyone scene him good? Anyone?

9. TheOtherJohn says:

Looked at today’s column and it was sad. Last summers list is this summers list. J Schultz did exactly what I hoped he would do. He has not been a top 4 D man in his rookie year. Too inconsistent. Should played Yandle 3rd pairing minutes & PP. hope they give Klefbom 40 games in AHL

Not a fan of Lucic. Yeah yeah want size on top 6 but would rather have a GlenX type

We are not tanking (and have not been tanking the last 4 years) but today we could very easily end up selecting 5th overall. That is just shitty management

10. RickDeckard says:

FrankenOil:

I have no opinion on Horvat but reaching for lazar would be worse than moroz imo. Reaching for the 5th ranked player at 1st overall is much worse than reaching for the 8th player at 4th overall depsite the fact that the number of spots reached is the same.

11. tcho says:

I actually think they’re close. I like the 12-core you listed above, LT. I’m lacking confidence in management to add the right 6s and 9s though. I think we can sometimes be too hard on management, with the benefit of hindsight, on the signings of Eager & Belanger (I remember mc79 was arguing against the third year of Belanger’s contract, but other than that reaction seemed fairly positive). The Khabby signing was much maligned even at the time. Mike Brown? Meh. Smithson? Same. Petrell? Oh dear God…

Jury’s out, but approaching a decision for me. If they do any more than ONE (I’ll cut them a teensy bit of slack) of the following, they are fucking morons and need to be fired:

-resign Khabibulin
    -resign Whitney
    -keep/resign Petrell
    -fail to rid themselves of Eager, Belanger

12. FrankenOil says:

Cobbler</

I will agree with what you're saying to a degree. However, there have been more than a few posts that are just out-and-out dismissing of Lazar's talent and skills as a hockey player. I just wanted to provide the Horvat comparison (who has been championed by many Lazar detractors) as a superior player. I also just wanted to post my views on the kid from what I've seen of him and just watching him as a hockey fan without the (justly) jaded glasses of many fans of the Oilers organization on this blog.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think we’re going to see the Oilers do three notable things this summer: shuffle the roster with a major trade for a PF, add Streit via free agency and sign at least one of their ufa’s (Khabibulin, Jones, Petrell) and make roster space for Oscar Klefbom.”

On the Klefbom… there is no way the Oil don’t push him ahead of schedule next year. Remember Klefbom had to opt out of playing in NA this year:

most likely that means the team was pressuring him to play at the very least in OKC.

Now, there is a piece up at the Oilers site on Klefbom’s recovery and future:

some choice quotes:

Klefbom has been skating for a few weeks now and is back in Edmonton for a check-up with Oilers doctors. During his stay, which will last until the end of the regular season, the 6-foot-3, 204-pound rearguard will participate in a series of workouts and on-ice sessions.

During Oilers games, in an assignment given by Head Coach Ralph Krueger, the 19th overall pick in 2011 will be studying the play of veteran defenceman Nick Schultz from high above the ice surface.

“(Krueger) sees me as a pretty similar player to Nick, and I do as well,” he said. “I’ve been watching Nick’s skating, his positioning and how he brings such a solid defensive game to the Oilers. I think he’s a really good player, so I’m trying to learn as much as I can by watching him.”

“It’s wonderful to have him here,” added Krueger. “We’re going to continue to integrate him into the program and into the system.”

They have him studying N. Schultz and the Oiler system.

They want this kid in the lineup next year.

14. DBO says:

And as for wanting Grabovski. Are we kidding?????!!??? He is Horcoff. And has the same shitty deal. How the hell can we pine away for an overpaid 3rd line centre who had two solid years offensively, not shockingly leading up to a contract year. And he topped out at 58 points. That is all. Timing was perfect for him. Toronto sucked, the msm was killing them, and they couldn’t let him walk for nothing. He is solid in his own zone, does chip in a bit when he gets good linemates. that is HORCOFF people. And Horc was better offensively then Grabovski. He was almost a point a game player the year he signed his deal. And followed it up with a 53 point year that caused a shit storm of “why did we overpay that bum”. Stay away from Grabovski. At l;east Gagner has the potential to get you 60-70 pts, and still has room to learn (he is only 23). Why are we always ready to move out kids who are just starting to get it in this league for guys are have “gotten” it but are overpaid. At Gagners age Grabovski played 3 games with that Canadians, while getting less then a point per game in the AHL. 2 years later he had 48 points for the Leafs in his first full season. I would guess that those first few years he was not asked to be a 2nd line centre and did not play as well as he does now in his own zone. Why would you deal Gagner for a guy who tops out as Horcoff, but not as good offensively???!!!?????

And yes someone shit in my cornflakes this morning.

15. Racki says:

I noticed some draft talk here, so I’ll weigh in my 2 cents… names I’d be looking at that are potentially in our draft range:

Frederic Gauthier – massive center.. 6’5″, 219lbs, 2-way, good skater.. would be one of the younger guys in the draft) – this one intrigues me the most, given our needs.
    Darnell Nurse – huge D-man at 6’5″, 195… needs to grow into the frame a bit, but is a physical guy that seems to be able to play a solid offensive game
    Sean Monahan – Big center (6’2″, 193lbs) – physical, smart, playmaker, all around player.. what more adjectives do we want to hear about a C?
    Josh Morrissey – D (6’0″ 185lbs, left shot) – Someone who will likely complement Justin Schultz one day. But wouldn’t be an immediate drop-in (although none of these guys really should be). His style of play has been compared to Dion Phaneuf. Take that for what you will though, since most hate Phaneuf. But I’ll take that to mean that he has a mean streak and can play a decent offensive game rather than to mean he’s a douchebag.

16. FrankenOil says:

RickDeckard,

Well I’m not advocating taking Lazar ahead of Barkov or Monahan if the Oilers are in the top-5. However, if they are in the 8 and lower range, when we all are in agreement that a C is the biggest need, then Lazar isn’t that much of a stretch. If Lazar has a good playoffs (Right now he is 9GP 4G-1A) and shows up in the Memorial Cup, I guarantee the verbal about him around here will change as there will be a greater opportunity to watch him via broadcast television (Shaw and Sportsnet). And, based on his track record, I wouldn’t bet against him surging up the draft rankings as long playoff runs for draft eligible players usually help their final rankings.

17. DBO says:

worth a laugh. And man I need one because i think this may be close to the truth.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO:
    And as for wanting Grabovski. Are we kidding?????!!???He is Horcoff. And has the same shitty deal. How the hell can we pine away for an overpaid 3rd line centre who had two solid years offensively, not shockingly leading up to a contract year. And he topped out at 58 points. That is all. Timing was perfect for him. Toronto sucked, the msm was killing them, and they couldn’t let him walk for nothing. He is solid in his own zone, does chip in a bit when he gets good linemates. that is HORCOFF people. And Horc was better offensively then Grabovski. He was almost a point a game player the year he signed his deal. And followed it up with a 53 point year that caused a shit storm of “why did we overpay that bum”. Stay away from Grabovski. At l;east Gagner has the potential to get you 60-70 pts, and still has room to learn (he is only 23). Why are we always ready to move out kids who are just starting to get it in this league for guys are have “gotten” it but are overpaid. At Gagners age Grabovski played 3 games with that Canadians, while getting less then a point per game in the AHL. 2 years later he had 48 points for the Leafs in his first full season. I would guess that those first few years he was not asked to be a 2nd line centre and did not play as well as he does now in his own zone. Why would you deal Gagner for a guy who tops out as Horcoff, but not as good offensively???!!!?????

And yes someone shit in my cornflakes this morning.

Because you primarily want Gardiner… remember the giant hole at LD?

That’s the piece of the puzzle that’s bigger that Gagner right now…

BUT, if Gagner goes to bring that back… you need to replace him… a 29 year old Grabo isn’t Ryan O’Reilly… but he’s a pretty good option for a 2C if he can pot 50 points or more and be reliable in his own end.

If the idea is a straight up trade Grabo for Gagner… I can’t think of anyone who says yes.

I think we are on the same page here.

19. Rondo says:

Hard to get excited when the Jockey on this horse is Lowe and Tambellini.

20. Doug McLachlan says:

Kent Willson’s thoughts on Grabovski need to be separated from his comments on Gardiner. Toronto may be prepared to deal Grabovski, I don’t see them doing the same on Gardiner – they know that they stole a good one there and while he ought to be dominating in the AHL they’ve given him the Lander press-box treatment for reasons that escape me.

As for FA targets, I love the idea of Steit for 2 yrs but at 35 this is still a stop-gap measure. I’d be curious to know if there is any interest here in Weiss out of Florida? Clarkson, Clowe and Horton all offer three PF options. I know he is probaly the most criticised but I would be most interested in Horton. Someone I wonder about as well is Eric Fehr in Washington.

Have we started to project who all shakes loose with this season’s cap-crunch? Vancouver, Philly and Tampa – in particular – look to be very, very tight. Who ought we to be realisticly targetting there? If bought out would we be interested in Bryzgalov as a Dubbie partner?

21. RMGS says:

Romulus Apotheosis: On the Klefbom… there is no way the Oil don’t push him ahead of schedule next year.

Yeah, that’s about right. Oilers management could give a course on how to fail to hedge your bets. Hanging your hopes on a hobbled defenseman (but what a breakout pass!), a groin that keeps on giving, a rookie or two, AHL centre call-ups, and the worst possession (by proxy) player in the NHL to fill your gaping roster holes requires a religious commitment to ‘gut feelings.’ Sadly, it’s no substitute for basic risk management.

Here’s to hoping Klefbom makes it despite being thrown to the wolves. ~~If Brodin can do it…~~

22. G Money says:

*** A NEW GAME FOR LONG-SUFFERING OILER FANS TO ENJOY ***

As I read the above comments, there is a long-standing zeitgeist present, namely the sense/fear of
    – here are the things Tambo *should* do (e.g. add a veteran two-way forward)
    – here are the things we worry Tambo *will* do (e.g. re-sign Khabi to a big-money contract)

So … I propose a new game for this summer … I haven’t decided if it should be best called
    TIC TAC TAMBO or TAMBINGO.

The idea is that each of us puts forward a ‘card’ containing a list of the bad moves we fear Tambo will make. (e.g. “trade Gagner for a coke machine with stone hands”).

We arrange that into either a 3×3 card (Tic Tac Tambo) or into a 5×5 card (Tambingo). Whoever makes a line first (vertical for TAMBINGO, vert/hor/cross for Tic Tac Tambo) wins.

Whoever wins gets an agreed-on prize.

This is sort of the same way as having a player you hate in your playoff pool – at least you can cheer when that player gets points, even though you hate it.

This game might allow us some perverse pleasure if the moves we fear Tambo will make actually happen.

23. bookje says:

Various thoughts

Lucic – Buy Low? If the cost is very low And you can get a touch of salary relief going the other way (let’s say the Bruins pick up $1 million per year) is it a worthwhile move. If nothing else , it would allow management to move on to other priorities.

The Oilers need a backup with some promise for the future (under 30 years old).

Taylor Hall is a King – this season established that. Next season RNH will break from his sophomore slump and join him I think, I see Yakupov and Hall competing to see who is more insanely competitive. All good news. MPS might be a Jack! That’s great news too.

The addition of two solid NHL calibre defensemen would make this team much much better. All of the sudden, the third and fourth lines would not look so bad. A lot of the problems on this team are to do with the defenders.

Management has shown no ability to acquire NHL talent. I hope they are either being patient with their brilliance in this area of management or that they get replaced.

OtherJohn – if you don’t think the oilers intentionally tanked for 1.5 to 2.5 years, you’re not paying attention. This year and last may be behind schedule for improvement, but the year before was pure tank.

If the Oilers win all of their remaining games and make the playoffs, I fear for our sanity.

24. Doug McLachlan says:

As for Klefbom’s preparedness for the NHL, he has good NHL size and has played against men. He is coming over and mentally prepared to focus on the North American game – great. Regular camp and preseason and we judge at that point. If he is ready for a third-pairing assignment, great. If not, he goes to OKC.

If we can put aside the (wholy justified mistrust of managment for a moment) the re-discovery of the value of the minors by this organization wrt MPS should give us some hope that they are starting to “get it”. I think we got a good one here and believe they will not throw him to the wolves but simply find out what they have.

25. Racki says:

Oh I’ll throw one out that I’ve never heard anywhere….

Florida has Jonathan Huberdeau and Nick Bjugstad as their young C’s, as well as some other C’s there. I think they would be a good target for a trade. Personally, I’d like to try and swindle Bjugstad away since on paper he fits out needs. It would be harder to do, but maybe Gagner and a D Prospect does it. At any rate, that would be one guy on my radar, since the Patnhers already have Huberdeau, Stephen Weiss (if re-signed), Marcel Goc and Drew Shore.

Not saying it will be easy to get Bjugstad, but thinking outside of the usual box here.. Bjugstad or Shore might make good additions here since they both have nice size and offensive instincts. Shore would be aiming our sights lower, by the looks of it, but sometimes if you pair a guy with the right players, good things happen too.

As for Klefbom, it would be silly to expect him to jump in the lineup right away next year after practically losing an entire year to injury. I’d think he’d need at least a month or two in OKC, possibly more, to get back into game shape. However, we may see a guy like Fedun a bit, a once promising prospect until Nystrom decided to goon him. He plays the right side though, which isn’t as much of a pressing need right now as the left (which isn’t common with teams).

26. Rondo says:

Truly putting your hopes a Klefbom is an act of desperation . Abandon ship

27. mustang says:

FrankenOil:

Exactly. I am not trying to say the Oilers absolutely must draft the kid, but I just don’t understand the vitriol against him on this blog from many of the posters. When I’ve seen him play, I’ve been utterly impressed. Him and Samuelsson were THE guys for the OK in the Memorial Cup last year. I kept shaking my head at the presence of a 17 yr old on junior hockey’s biggest stage. And, after hearing manypeople talk, that’s the way the kid is – he lives for the big stage.

Thats exactly it, I’m guessing these people haven’t seen him play. This kid is pretty much what the oilers are looking for except he’s not 6’3 and 220#. Lazar is a player and wouldn’t be a bad pick around 10-15

28. Doug McLachlan says:

Let us presume that the hopes for Klefbom are not that he is the answer for next season but that he is a long-term solution.

As for Bjugstad, I think that Florida views him as a cornerstone along with Huberdeau and (presumably) Drouin.

29. Melman says:

Looking at the ‘Foundation List’ the biggest issue that pops out to me is that I don’t believe they can successfully move forward with Eberle, Gagner, and Hemsky. Any 2 of the 3 yes, but all 3 no. Too much of the same player type. Gagner and Hemsky aren’t a fit on the same line and unless you want a Triple H, Hemsky Horcoff, Hartikainen 3rd line – which isn’t ideal – something has to give.

If L & C stay the same and your right is Eberle, Yak and Horton (or similar) can you win in the second season?

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I wonder if the mgt. group has seen this:

31. denny33 says:

FrankenOil,

It has *nothing* to do with Lazar….people like me cannot figure out why he is mentioned at all.

Craig Button has him ranked 28th./ Central Scouting has Lazar 26th.

It has nothing to do with JT Compher ranked 29th, nothing to do with Laurent Dauhphin ranked 26th,nothing to do Ryan Hartman ranked 24th…..all probably good players, like Lazar, just don’t know what their connection to Oilers would be?

We are likely picking at the 8-12 range, no?

Are we thinking of trading up from the 2nd round?

32. khildahl says:

No comment on the topic at hand today. I’m looking for advanced stats data on a per-game basis (actually preferably per-period if it exists) to follow a train of thought I got on this morning. I tried to find this using the magic of Google, but came up with nothing. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

33. sliderule says:

Gauthier boxes really fell off last half of season and playoffs.
    Only 4 pts in playoffs .Four games with no shots.
    Not physical for big guy…I hate to mention the word Bonsignore but he showed up last time we picked high and went for big but picked a pussy.
    It sounds like he is a really risky project.

34. Racki says:

I had the pleasure of watching a decent amount of Curtis Lazar last year and this year. Good player, but I wouldn’t make him a priority or anything. Plays with a lot of heart when needed, but also has disappeared for long stretches too. Maybe a comparable more to Sam Gagner in that regard. I wouldn’t be drafting him at where we are likely picking. Maybe if I were GM, I’d see if I can flip our 2 2nds for a late first or something… although it likely would need more since Anaheims will be a really late 2nd. But you get the idea.. try for a second pick for Lazar, not draft him at ~10 or wherever we end up drafting.

35. denny33 says:

DBO,

I needed that…..

Why do I have a sinking feeling that it might be closer to the truth than I would like to admit though…

36. rich says:

The nice thing about Lazar’s production is that at least he can score EV. The one thing I remember about Nuge’s scoring his last year of junior’s was that there was a lot of carping about the percentage of his points coming on PP vs. EV.

Agree with whoever said it, if we’re relying on Kelfbom to play a big role next year that spells bad news. Instead of addressing the real issue on the blue (right now we have only 3 actual NHL d-men), we’re going to allow a kid – who’s missed most of this season – to develop in the NHL instead of going to the AHL to learn on the small ice. That’s brilliant asset management.

This team badly needs NHL ready defensemen if we’re going to compete next year. I would argue from watching the last 4 losses that this is an even bigger issue than our probs at forward because we struggle to get pucks out. A part of it may very well be that the team has not figured out Krueger’s system – but it all starts with the first pass and if we’re going to continue to rim the puck on a clear out, you can put Bernie freaking Parent in goal and it’s not going to help us a bit.

37. wuthering says:

Which team doesn’t trap in close games?

oh yeah, the oilers

38. denny33 says:

Racki,

Speaking of Florida – Erik Gudbranson did not look very good last night here in Winnipeg. His feet look really, really slow….-21 on the year. ]

39. Racki says:

DENNY33: I guess part of my point is they actually have a decent traffic jam of centers, both young and already NHL ready. Bjugstad would be top of the list for me (assuming Huberdeau is untouchable), but I’d definitely be happy with Shore. But you’d start with some high offers for Bjugstad and see what happens.

40. TheOtherJohn says:

Bookje

I was watching very closely and with the exception of the RNH draft year there is no evidence of a tank job. None! It is a fiction that gained traction because no one wanted to believe that this management group is as thoroughly incompetent as it is now becoming clearly evident to everyone.

The item that this management group gets the most credit for is amatuer drafting and the selections outside of the first round have, with the exception of Hartikanen, been underwhleming to date. So even that “strength” may not be a strength. Another area of touted strength is player development. Ok, what player development? who has played in the farm system for 1-2-3-4 years that has progressed into a real NHL player? Harti.

It cannot be salary cap management we spent near the cap this year and over the past 3 and acheived 30, 30, 29 and this year: 25??? 24? 23?.

Repeat what I said yesterday: to get to the trade deadline and to be neither a buyer or seller is puzzling in the extreme. But we “want to the boys experience meaniingful games this spring”. Gee how would a 1st round playoff matchup with Chicago. Meaningful enough?

Instead we add Jarred Smithson. Not when we need him but at trade deadline. Worse, I fully expect that we also resign Jarred Smithson. No clue why but fully expect we will. He fills too many superficially perceived boxes: tall, heavy, cheap, good faceoff man. No one asks if he is a real NHL player that can help you play 4 SC playoffs series.

If my Smithson prediction occurs that, In a nutshell, is why we are the Edmonton Oilers and we sit where we sit

41. Wolfie says:

I don’t think he’s happy in Nashville and if they miss the playoffs it wouldn’t surprise me if he asked for a ticket out of town.

Would this year’s 1st, Klefbom, Hemsky and conditional 1st in 2014 be enough to pry him loose? Or would that be too much.

It’s a similar package the Ducks ended up paying from Pronger. I’m sure there could be some additional cash considerations given Nashville has had to fork over an enormous amount of money in signing bonuses.

42. rickithebear says:

denny33: I don’t mind that – Bjugstad – but like someone else said – what are you willing to give up for a cornerstone player?

Bjugstad 6’4″ 2005LB .69PP @ 18 in freshman year.

I would give up
    Khaira 6’3″ 195LB .68PG @ 18 in freshman year and a 4th.

Or not?

43. Bag of Pucks says:

LT, I’m curious how that statement can be justified vs. Khabibulin’s actual job performance this season?

.923 save percentage, good for 16th overall in the league and among the top 3 in the league among backup tenders playing 5+games. This from a player already under contract.

Are we so desperate to find narratives to convict management on all fronts that we’re ignoring real facts now?

44. denny33 says:

Taylor Hall -Edmonton Journal – on Nail Yakupov….

45. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

46. khildahl says:

Wolfie:

Would this year’s 1st, Klefbom, Hemsky and conditional 1st in 2014 be enough to pry him loose?Or would that be too much.

It’s a similar package the Ducks ended up paying from Pronger.I’m sure there could be some additional cash considerations given Nashville has had to fork over an enormous amount of money in signing bonuses.

47. Hammers says:

Re Start again from Zero . That’s not the case at all. We now have HALL ,RNH,YAK EBS, Magnus , Gags , Petry , Smid, J. Schultz , Dubnyk . That is way more experieced players than we had 3 years ago . To that list add Horc , Hemsky , N.Schultz , Hartski , Lander & Klefbom . 16 players that need to be fitted in as I see it, 2 top lines, 3rd with a 4th line center . 5 “D” 1 Goalie . What’s needed Top 4 “D” (Streit ?? )Backup Goalie ??? . 2 tough wingers who can play . Extra 3 , Potter or Peckham ; Brown or Smyth . The others have to go. Surely if some teams have cap problems this should get resolved even without trades . Just saying .

48. Bag of Pucks says:

@Denny33

Love that quote from Hall.

To paraphrase Jack as the Joker, what this team needs is an enema!

49. denny33 says:

rickithebear,

50. Gret99zky says:

I’m with DBO on the MacT take.

What has he done since his re-arrival that shows he is the new genius in the room? Smithson?

Until there is significant aquisitions to improve the team I don’t believe MacT is anything more than another old-boy brought back to congratulate Lowe on the great job he’s been doing.

Not sure why he is held in such high regard when the holes in the lineup are just as glaring as they have ever been.

51. Wolfie says:

khildahl: That would be an awful, awful trade for an overrated player with a terrible contract.

I don’t know that Weber is overrated. I think he is grossly overpaid. But he is as #1 as a #1 NHL defenseman gets. Capable of playing in all situations and plays big minutes. I guess it depends on whether or not you risk losing a window of opportunity by waiting until everyone develops. IE Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat etc.

52. FrankenOil says:

denny33,

I’d just like to you to look at Central Scoutings 2012 final list and ask yourself: how accurate were thier rankings? Their list has become one that people look to for names to follow but not necessarily a list to gauge who are the best players in the draft. Just for comparison’s sake, Scott Laughton was their 28th ranked player a year ago, is a C, similar height, similar point production.

Button's 2012 final list:

1. Nail Yakupov 1 Sarnia (OHL) 10/6/93 RW L 5'11/189 42 31 38 69 +15
    2. Mathew Dumba 2 Red Deer (WHL) 7/25/94 D R 5'11/183 69 20 37 57 -6
    3. Morgan Rielly 3 Moose Jaw (WHL) 3/9/94 D L 6'0/190 18 3 15 18 +6
    4. Alex Galchenyuk 4 Sarnia (OHL) 2/12/94 C L 6'1/197 2 0 0 0 -4
    5. Teuvo Teravainen 5 Jokerit (FIN) 9/11/94 RW L 5'11/165 40 11 7 18 -5
    6. Griffin Reinhart 6 Edmonton (WHL) 1/24/94 D L 6'3/202 58 12 24 36 +23
    7. Filip Forsberg 7 Leksands (SWE) 8/13/94 LW R 6'2/181 53 10 10 20 +1
    8. Malcolm Subban 8 Belleville (OHL) 12/21/93 G L 6'1/188 39 25 2.50 .923 3
    9. Matt Finn 9 Guelph (OHL) 2/24/94 D L 6'0/195 61 10 38 48 -13
    10. Hampus Lindholm 10 Rogle (SWE) 1/20/94 D L 6'2/196 36 2 7 9 +7
    11. Cody Ceci 11 Ottawa (OHL 12/21/93 D R 6'2/207 64 17 43 60 +21
    12. Jacob Trouba 13 USNTDP 2/26/94 D R 6'2/193 54 9 23 32 –
    13. Ryan Murray 12 Everett (WHL) 9/27/93 D L 6'0/205 46 9 22 31 E
    14. Mark Jankowski 14 Stanstead (Quebec Prep) 9/13/94 C L 6'2/170 57 53 40 93 +51
    15. Andrei Vasilevski 15 Ufa (KHL) 7/25/94 G L 6'3/204 27 – 2.23 .931 –
    24. Scott Laughton 25 Oshawa (OHL) 5/30/94 C L 6'0/177 64 21 32 53 +8
    25. Gemel Smith 26 Owen Sound (OHL) 4/16/94 LW L 5'10/160 68 21 39 60 E
    26. Brady Skeji 27 USNTDP 3/26/94 D L 6'2/200 60 4 19 23 –
    27. Sebastien Collberg 28 Frolunda (SWE) 2/23/94 RW R 5'11/176 23 9 8 17 +2
    28. Olli Maatta 30 London (OHL) 8/22/94 D L 6'1/202 58 5 27 32 +25
    29. Henrik Samuelsson 54 Edmonton (WHL) 2/7/94 RW R 6'2/195 28 7 16 23 +18
    30. Phillip Di Giuseppe 29 Michigan (CCHA) 10/9/93 LW L 5'11/176 40 11 15 26 +23

Look who is at 29 on his list? How many people here would gladly take Samuelsson around #10 this year if he were available? I'd wager quite a few. Look at who he has around the range we believe the Oilers will draft at, and ask yourself, based on the draft results, was Ryan Murray a reach at #2 because Button had him at 13? Or how about Jankowski at 14 on his list? C'mon guys, as Gregor says, be better.

53. Amadeus says:

Gagner and Teubert for Grabovski and Gardiner

Book it.

54. cabbiesmacker says:

Gret99zky:
    I’m with DBO on the MacT take.

What has he done since his re-arrival that shows he is the new genius in the room?Smithson?

Oh come now. Everyone who’s been watching the Oilchange series know MacT was brought onboard to keep Tambo’s abundant enthusiasm, hasty decisions, and rambunctious trading style in check.

Plus he’s on TW, (Toby watch) and (PB) Penner block duty.

Don’t be silly.

55. cabbiesmacker says:

Racki:
    . Bjugstad would be top of the list for me (assuming Huberdeau is untouchable),

Pretty safe assumption I think.

56. Ice Sage says:

Bag of Pucks: @Denny33Love that quote from Hall. IMO, the last week has revealed that the culture change hyped in ‘Oil Change’ is far from complete and there are still some ‘losers’ that need to be excised from the locker room. In particular, Gagner, Hemsky, Jones are all selfish players that cheat for offense and float on the back-check. One of the qualities that should truly separate management from the fans, is their ability to be absolutely ruthless in the appraisal of these players and whether they are delivering the legitimate skill-set needed by a championship winner. It’s ok for us to hold a soft spot for Hemmer on the basis of the highlights he’s provided, 2006 in particular. But there is no room for that kind of misplaced loyalty in the head office when the question is ‘can this player be a consistent outscorer for us at the heighest levels of competition?’ Combine that with the fact that you have a number of players clearly past their best buy date (Whitney, Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger, Potter and possibly Schultz Sr) and it’s hard to envision the Oiler culture as one that is truly results based at this time. Still too many players ceded a spot in the lineup on the basis of contract and/or no one else in the league wanting them.To paraphrase Jack as the Joker, what this team needs is an enema! It’s easy to cull the O’Sullivans, Nilssons, and Potulnys of this world. It’s a much more difficult proposition to move on from the likes of a Hemsky or Whitney. But it’s exactly the kind of thing that Tambellini should be doing and to be fair, it should’ve started at last year’s deadline.

110% agree. Time for an aggressive pruning.

And Bjugstad? Dream on

57. Captain Obvious says:

Wolfie: Wolf

Someone posted a similar idea in the last thread. I’ll just repeat what I said there. A sickeningly bad idea.

The Oilers problem is they don’t have enough good players. Trading away multiple good players for one good player on a massive contract that would limit their ability to get more good players and keep the good players they already have is the absolute worst thing they could do.

I would have doubts of signing Weber to that contract if all it cost was money. I’d probably do it but it would give me angst. Add two first round picks, Gagner, and Klefbom to all that money and it is an incredibly bad idea.

Conversely, if I’m Nashville I would do it in second. That kind of trade could turn the franchise around and set them up for years.

58. rickithebear says:

Wolfie: If the Oilers are going quality for quantity I think there may be an opportunity to pry Shea Weber from Nashville.

Look at our: Even play, PP PK
    what does his 7.86M improve.

Weber last 4 years:
    Even:
    18:45 EVTOI mid 1st to 2nd Comp 2.21GA/60 +.3SD/60
    There is lots of arguement re Even value so you judge.

PK:
    1:52 PKTOI
    with suter 4.27 GA/60; without suter 9.32 GA/60
    A good coach gives him zero PK time with our D. options.

PP: there is 5.96 PPTOI /GM
    Weber: 3:34 TOI 3.88P/60 6.81GF/60
    Justin Schultz 2:59 TOI 6.08P/60 8.05GF/60
    Whitney: 2:52 TOI 4.00 P/60 7.11 GF/60
    Potter: 2:25 2nd option, 0:48 3rd option 3.77P/60 6.60 GF/60
    Weber is not a first option over J. Schultz.
    Is he superior to Potter.

59. raventalon40 says:

Woodguy:
    shuffle the roster with a major trade for a PF

Lucic is having a bad year.

He’s big and shiny.

Right up their alley.

If the return for Ryan Clowe is a 2nd, a 3rd, and a conditional 2nd, I think that the return for a struggling Milan Lucic is probably closer to a roster player or prospect plus a few high picks.

Since Boston is in need of a puck mover, I’d offer them Petry, or some combination of Dillon Simpson and Ryan Whitney and a couple 2nd round picks.

Jeff Petry
    2nd
    2nd
    conditional 3rd or 4th

for

Milan Lucic

I have a feeling that a guy like Kyle Bigos could step in and do what Petry is doing. He might not skate as well as Petry but I can see Bigos being a Matt Greene type for us. Greene with a point shot!

60. cabbiesmacker says:

raventalon40:
    Since Boston is in need of a puck mover, I’d offer them Petry,

Jeff Petry
    2nd
    2nd
    conditional 3rd or 4th

for

Milan Lucic

(Raps knuckle in a horizontal path along the wall searching out the steel studs……Finds one and marks position with bright Sharpie)

(Backs off 10 feet then propels himself rapidly towards the mark in the head down position)

61. rickithebear says:

denny33: rickithebear, So you would give up a 3rd round player Kariha ( and a 4th rounder ) for 1st round cornerstone Nick Bjugstad. ….Florida would counter with — Florida’s 3rd round pick – Steven Hodges + a 4th rounder for 1st round pick Oscar Klefbom?

What does it matter were he is drafted. Corner stone Blah! Blah! Blah!
    he is a bigger center who trended at the same rate as Khaira @ 18 in thier freshman NCAA year.
    Who had a regression in production in his junior year when he should be improving.

leadfarmer: rickithebear, LOL, Go back to hfboards. No way Florida trades even returns your call. I dont think I would even trade him if I was Florida. Probably around our first rounder would be the asking price.

So to point it out to all you I cant believe you would suggest that.

1. Florida would not do that.
    2. We give up high talent for the same thing coming down the pipe in 2-3 years.

It is called Sarcasm you dumb asses!

62. Kitchener says:

How about this idea for the offseason: spend whatever’s needed to get Jagr on a 1-year deal. Flush Hemsky if needed for $’s or a roster spot. A year of mentorship from the granddaddy of offense: priceless.

63. rickithebear says:

From my post in last article relating to the last 6 years.

// in that time we had 18 players who @ even would give us a chance for our Special teams to get us in the Playoffs.

We have 6 moving forward:
    Hall (3/3)-RNH(2/2)-Eberle (2/3)
    Harti(2/3)-Gagner(4/6)-MP(1/3)

two look like they are done.
    Hemsky (4/6) (1/3 last 3 years)
    Horc (3/6) (1/3 last 3 years) //

Yakupov is adjusting his game relative to Distance from Goal.

It matched what LT is saying re house cleaning.

From the Prospect pool
    we see hemsky’s replacemnt
    and an #2 /3 center replacement @ 8mM off the Cap.

64. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

FrankenOil,

It’s not that I am bashing Lazar or really against him…..However if I may.

The Oilers problem is they have to many Lazar players on this team.
    They don’t NEED him in the sense of position as well, although the he’s listed as a C he in fact players RW, if I’m not mistaken a lot of the scouts are listing him as a RW/C now.

Lazar will take at the very minimum at least two years.

The Oilers at this point can’t even wait for Paajarvi or Hartikinanen to finish developing IMO, they need to get aggressive and need immediate help now.

While the ISS is a good service, Mackienze is almost gospel. While Button my be a little off on who he lists in the top ten he’s pretty accurate 10 and up and is a very good source of information and I might add very well connected.

This maybe the most damning of them all, Lazar plays on a ultra elite team, were he is NOT considered there best player, the fact he did go into a extensive drought further worried the scouts, the fact he wasn’t even invited to the WJC after his play in the summit series is a BIG clue to how the coaching staff viewed his play.

Not to mention were the Oilers are drafting from, they will leave both NEED and BPA on the table.

Watch the memorial cup, if the Kings get in against the Knights Horvat will shut Lazar out.

65. bookje says:

TheOtherJohn,

66. commonfan14 says:

denny33: “He likes to stick up for himself,” said Oilers winger Taylor Hall. “There are similarities in the way we play. He’s an aggressive player who’ll go into the hard areas.

I like Eberle with those guys as much as anyone, but trying this still seems like a no-brainer to me.

67. DawnM says:

Doug McLachlan,

Bryzgalov LOL! While that thought tickles my admittedly bad sense of humour, round 1 of last year’s playoffs should keep any sane person far, far away. It was hugely entertaining by virtue of horribly bad goaltending.

Moving on – I’m still perplexed by so many of these Gagner trade suggestions. If it does not bring us back a 2nd line centre who is bigger yet still has the offensive numbers, why would you say such a thing? Goals are worth more than hits any day of the week. Yeah hits get cheers, but goals get wins. Gagner’s not expendable until we have depth at centre.

To my eye, we have depth at the wing and in D prospects. If we’re only willing to trade away depth players, we can only get depth players. That’s ok if it meets a need we have. But as Struds is so fond of pointing out, you gotta trade good stuff to get good stuff. So which of our good wingers are we willing to part with for a good centre or top 4 D? Hall, Eberle, or Yak? (My vote is none but I could maybe be persuaded if the return was sufficiently compelling.) I just don’t see Hemsky, Jones, Petrell, Eager, Hortichuk netting us anything really good. That is unless there’s a “trade me right fucking now” deal out there.

Wolfie:

Can we stop this foolishness. Nashville is NOT going to trade Weber after paying him $27 million dollars for 48 games of hockey. They have endured the worst pain of that contract already. Weber’s contract is not a burden for them. After all they have to get to the cap floor, and paying full value for two very good players, Weber and Rinne, makes that easy to do, and insures that they will be in the playoff hunt every year, right with the pack.

69. FastOil says:

O’Reilly or Duchesne – one will likely be dealt given Duchesne seems to have a big problem with O’ from what I’ve read. The Avs need a scoring winger and PP help and are deep at C.

Hemsky + for O’Reilly. Gagner for McDonagh. After Gagner’s season he’s a high scoring young C – lots of value. McDonagh is going to get paid as well. Might have to take some salary back. Rebuild over.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pajaarvi-O’Reilly-Yakupov
    Smyth-Horcoff- #1
    Harti-Lander-Brown
    Petrell

McDonagh-Petry
    Smid-J Schultz
    Klefbom-N Schultz
    Harry

Dubnyk
    vet not Nik

I put Bomb, Lander, and Harti in because they will likely do it if at all possible. If #1 has a good camp pencil him in the line up, this is the Oilers after all, why not start 4 rookies? They all have intangibles and formidable poise.

That line up is pretty solid, 3 F lines head likely above water (until Kaptain gets hurt), 3 decent pairings. You know they’ll sign Petrell because of his grit and EXTREME pk value.

The 4th line will still get shelled, but on the bright side at least they will improve.

70. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Agreed.

Thankfully, Oil Change is now viewed as a comedy show and ratings have soared…

71. VanOil says:

commonfan14: I think I’ve posted something along these lines before, but when you draft a LW, C and RW 1st overall in 3 straight drafts, don’t you owe it to yourselves (and indeed, to history) to put them together and see how it looks?

I also am a Eberle fan but I agree this should be done for entertainment value alone. We require entertainment now that the games are meaning less. Plus it is a reward for Yaks hard work last game.

For another suggestions on how the Oilers could use this silly season. Demote Paajarvi to the AHL.

Before you bludgeon me follow my logic. Paajarvi has firmly established himself as an NHL player. He is a very good 3d line player and a acceptable 2nd line player who’s sober play might be a lasting foil for Yakupov’s intoxicating brilliance.

The Oilers games are now meaningless. OKC is gearing up for a playoff run. Paajarvi reuniting with the Nordic line will bolster the team and hopefully bolster Hartikienen and Lander who we wish to be a part of the Oilers future. This tough minute line would also allow snipers like Arcobelo and Rajala to thrive with softer minutes.

In this scenario sending Paajavi down is not a demoting as much as placing a ringer down there to make a playoff push and help with player development.

72. misfit says:

I think a one-year deal to Khabibulin should be expected. They believe in Dubnyk and aren’t going to be in the market for guys like Smith, Thomas, Nabokov, or Backstrom.

I haven’t read the rumblings about Umberger/Johansson that LT has brought up around here, but if he says he’s hearing things, I’ll assume those rumours are out there. I like both players, and they fill needs, but at the expense of Gagner, it just seems like a step back. I also don’t know how much I believe Gagner will be moved. The souring on Sam seems to be coming from the media and fanbase more than the Oilers org, and it doesn’t seem like the Oilers are in any rush to replace him. The biggest thing I like about Umberger is that he should come cheap. Giving up our 2nd line center and #2 scorer is no small thing.

Curtis Lazar I like. I think the Oilers like him a lot too, and I don’t blame them. He reminds me a lot of T.J Oshie, but like Oshie, I think he’ll end up plaing the wing as a pro. That said, I don’t think he’s their prime target. I really believe they’ll do everything they can to trade up to take Barkov. If they don’t accomplish that, they’ll take whichever center is on the board at their pick. I do think they’ll pick more for need than BPA this year more than in the past.

73. sliderule says:

The LA Clippers spent over a decade in the NBA drafting high and a payroll way under the cap.

They never got better but because of low payroll and NBA tv money made a pile of money for owner.

The story was owner didn’t care how they did just make money.

If we don’t spend to cap next year and make some moves are we the Clippers of hockey.

All the Lazar speculation was based on the Oilers drafting 11-20. They are likely to draft 6-10, so that takes them into a different range of player. It is too early to get hysterical.

Grabovski isn’t the right age range for the cluster. And that contract is horrid. Basically, Horcoff can bridge the gap to Lander and any centre drafted in the 1st round this year.

Gunnarsson might be the guy I would most like to pry out of Toronto. They have Rielly and Gardiner coming. Franson to sign also. They have Holzinger and Fraser as depth guys. And Liles signed to a no-move contract.

Gunnarsson and Streit and a centre drafted in the top 10 would be a successful summer for the Oilers. Re-sign Fistric as #7. Potter as #8.

There is some risk with Streit, as he is looking for 3-year and about $3.3 million per season on a 35 plus contract.

If Liles would wave his no-move, I might prefer him to Streit as a Whitney replacement. Liles, like Gardiner isn’t one of Carlyle’ s favorites either.

75. FrankenOil says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

Too many Lazar’s on this team? Really? Guys who play with an edge and are willing to stand for themselves and teammates? I’m pretty sure I watched Hall in the 3rd period vs PHX basically have to take on 3 Coyotes by himself with only Smid showing an interest in standing up for him. Lazar is exactly what this team lacks and desperately needs more of: intensity and moxie. In the TTop Prospects game, he threw down with Darnell Nurse just to get his line going (sounds like Sam Gagner). Plus, in terms of production, it is never fair to put a lot of stock in offensive numbers for a player on a strong team who is in a support role. Next year, when he will be on the first line and getting prime minutes and opportunities, that will be when the depths of his offensive potential will be known. Well if McKenzie is gospel, then we should wait to pass judgement on a player the Oilers may select until we know where Bobby Mac lists him in his final rankings.

From Derek Laxdall in the Edmonton Sun:

No goals when his team scored nine; no points the next night as the Oil Kings swept Medicine Hat.

Should there be worry about Curtis Lazar?

“Nope,” said Oil Kings head coach Derek Laxdal, emphatically.

“Curtis has been playing very well. His goals will come. Curtis has been fine. He’s the type of player, when he’s not scoring he’s doing a lot of little things.

“He’s strong defensively, does a great job penalty killing, stands in front of the net on the power play.

“Curtis is one of those players that at the end of the night, you look at the scoresheet you might not see his name, but you look back at the game tape and he did a lot of things.”

A few articles to educate on the type of player Lazar is:

76. hockeyguy10 says:

denny33: Taylor Hall -Edmonton Journal – on Nail Yakupov….“He likes to stick up for himself,” said Oilers winger Taylor Hall. “There are similarities in the way we play. He’s an aggressive player who’ll go into the hard areas.“We’re starting to see him throw bodychecks. You have to do that. If you want to play on the perimeter and stay on the outside, you won’t produce. By going to those areas, sometimes that means you take a shot in the face.”Impossible not to love Taylor Hall….anyone else reading between the lines on what he *may* think of some of his teammates?If you want to play on the perimeter and stay on the outside, you won’t produce..I bet if we think real hard, and we are honest with ourselves, a few names will immediately pop into mind….

This team doesn’t have a size issue.They are big enough they just play small. There are too many players on this team that avoid contact in a contact sport. That’s why they get their show run by the teams like St.Louis that initiate contact.

77. Jordan says:

bookje:
    TheOtherJohn,
    Only Daryl Katz knows what the strategy is.They may be all in on this slow and steady approach and perfectly fine with missing the playoffs this year.

*** The following post is written from an incredibly cynical point of view and and may be offensive to optimistic Oilers fans, Egyptians in the Nile Delta region, and anyone else who still has their soul. Read on at your own risk. ***

If you haven’t figured it out by now after all of the hullabaloo about the Arena, Batman’s interest in owning the Oilers is not some childhood dream of owning the cherished team of his youth. He’s here for the money people.

The longer he goes without having to pay for actual hockey players, guess who wins? It’s not management. It’s not the players. It’s sure as shite not the fans. It’s the guy writing the cheques.

Or rather, cashing the cheques.

You can gripe and moan all you like about this team. I do. Sometimes it feels good to ponder over what could have been with a different group running this gong show. How much better this team might be.

But the truth is that until the owner says management needs to be accountable and produce… it’s all just fluff. To be honest, I don’t ever expect this team to win. There’s no value in it for the owner. All that winning creates is higher expectations.

Much cheaper to milk the fans for all they’re worth for as long as you can on the backs of memories of better days and hope for the future, no? How many season ticket holders now want to give up their tickets? How much hype and demand is there for the future of the Oilers? How much more are those tickets going to be worth next year?

Cashing cheques people. Cashing cheques.

Cheering for the Oilers is like cheering for Wile E Coyote. It’s an exercise in pain, defeat, and futility. If Camus were a hockey fan, he’d watch the Oilers. When the lines to get into the 7 circles of Hell are full, Lucifer reincarnates the damned as Oilers fans, because he know’s there’s no difference between the amount of suffering each will enduring.

78. FrankenOil says:

Look, I know I have been beating the Lazar drum pretty hard and my intention is not to say the Oilers MUST draft him at any costs. I am just trying to say he is a good player, may well be worthy of a pick in the 8-15 range, and imo, will play in the NHL as a 3rd line C at worst. If the projection is he’s a can’t miss NHL’er and will play a feature role in some capacity, then you draft the kid. You can’t expect every player in the draft is going to be a superstar. If anything, the past few years of being putrid, should have taught many of us the value of the Stolls, Pecas, Dvoraks, Torres’, etc. If the Oilers decided his skillset is what the Oilers need going forward and have to have him anytime after the 8 spot, I wouldn’t object either. The Oilers haven’t wasted their 1st round picks under MBS. I know the organization has screwed up many things, but that part has been right on the money in recent years.

In Stu I trust (for the 1st rounder anyways!)

79. denny33 says:

FrankenOil,

Henrik Samuelson does not play in the NHL….

Just come right out and say you want the Oilers to take Lazar no matter where they are selecting?

Be honest.

Button, Mackenzie, Central Scouting…..if you want to go way off the board for Lazar, no problem. But I can’t figure out why Lazar over say..Jason Dickson or Rychel or another player in the 20′s…

Again, I have nothing against Lazar AT ALL.

But if most org. have him in the mid to late 20′s – and we are selecting 8th – that seems a bit of a reach to me?

Want to emphasize – this is nothing against Lazar.

80. denny33 says:

FastOil,

I would love to get O’reilly….might have to give up Sam + +like you mention….

Something tells me Colorado ( unless there is bitterness from players or management over the contract dispute ) considers O’reilly a cornersrtone player…along with Duchene and Landeskog.

Might be untouchables..

Love the idea…

81. denny33 says:

godot10,

Might want to check out some of the posts today….Someone is actually posting right now about taking Lazar….

82. LoDog says:

This made up Lazar stuff is getting as bad as the made up Smid stuff.

The reality of being an Oiler fan isn’t bad enough for some people, they have to pile on imaginary issues too.

83. "Steve Smith" says:

I heard that Tambellini is trying to trade Cutis Lazar for Dany Heatley, assuming that the latter will waive his NTC.

84. FrankenOil says:

85. FrankenOil says:

denny33,
    Well, it’s better than the tired, and not going to happen, fire MacTambLowe stuff that gets posted ad nauseum. I’d rather discuss something that has a shred of possibility of actually happening.

86. "Steve Smith" says:

FrankenOil:
    denny33,

Forget it. I won’t add anything to any conversation to move it forward.

Hey! Stay off my turf!

87. FrankenOil says:

denny33,

The only problem is that Colorado can’t trade O’Reilly for 1 year from the date they matched the contract, unless, and it is very possible, I am mistaken.

88. gcw_rocks says:

FrankenOil,

Doesn’t the fact that Lazar gets very few assists compared to the other forwards in the top 15 worry you? It sure as hell worries me. Its not like he is playing on a crappy team and there is no one to pass to.

89. bookje says:

LoDog:
    This made up Lazar stuff is getting as bad as the made up Smid stuff.

I gave up following the Oilers when they traded Hemsky and Smid. Really, the final straw was when they traded Yakupov for a coke machine.

90. bookje says:

Jordan,

You don’t understand business at all. If Katz wanted to just make money, he would have invested in something other than the NHL. Risk + public shit. It may be his ego or the fact he wants a Toy, but its not solely about money. I am not saying its not partially about money, but if it were soley about money, he would be in another business.

Also, sellouts are more the product of a reasonably strong economy (particularly for blue collarish types and blue collar industries) and a general love for the sport here. How the team does is irrelevant. If it was about icing substandard teams, there would not have been the tripling of management staff (player personal, etc.) and the deal with the farm team.

91. skinny65 says:

All these people talking about oreilly, stop wasting your time!!!! He cannot be traded for one calendar year from the day he was signed which was something like feb 28. So make your ludicrous trade proposals for someone who is at least slightly plausible.

92. FrankenOil says:

gcw_rocks,

I won’t lie that it doesn’t worry me. I’ll be interested to see his draft+1 year. Goal scoring is the toughest thing to do in hockey, so I’d probably be willing to live with his Patriots-Bills game scoring line

93. FrankenOil says:

bookje,

What really got me, was that the coke machine was still dispensing Mellow Yellow.

94. Doug McLachlan says:

FrankenOil: No I don’t want the Oilers to take Lazar ahead of (in no particular order): Barkov, Monahan, Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Mantha, Nurse, Ristolainen (whose draft profile screams Pitkanen to me anyways and I loved Joni when he was here). Outside of Mantha, I am not interested in a winger (Shinkaruk – too small, Nichushkin – too much of a wild card) in that range and while Lindholm is interesting, I’d rather a C with a different skill set to off-set RNH and probably Gagner. So yeah after the first 8 I mentioned – if they are all gone – I would take Lazar if he were available.

I’m with you here save that I would include Nichushkin – in fact I think me may prove to be the real steal of the draft outside the top 4, which I don’t think we fall into.

95. bookje says:

Just to add to that – just because Katz is interested in a competative team, there is no reason to think he is capable of building one. However, assuming that it is all just about a money grab makes no sense.

96. khildahl says:

bookje:
    Jordan,

You don’t understand business at all.If Katz wanted to just make money, he would have invested in something other than the NHL.Risk + public shit.It may be his ego or the fact he wants a Toy, but its not solely about money.I am not saying its not partially about money, but if it were soley about money, he would be in another business.

That and playoffs = a lot of money.

gcw_rocks:
    FrankenOil,

Doesn’t the fact that Lazar gets very few assists compared to the other forwards in the top 15 worry you?It sure as hell worries me.Its not like he is playing on a crappy team and there is no one to pass to.

So you are saying that he’s “ideal” for the Oilers who have far too many forwards who prefer passing the puck to shooting it! -).

The last thing the Oilers need is another forward who wants to pass the damn puck instead of shoot it! -).

98. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

godot10,

Not to worry. Lazar’s stock will rise, the Yotes will go on a losing jag and take Lazar before the Oil get to the podium.

Call to offer sheet experts out there:

If Gunnarsson doesn’t opt for arbitration, would a 3-year $3.33 million dollar per year offer sheet to Gunnarsson (or what ever the max salary is for only 2nd round draft pick compensation) make sense.

100. FrankenOil says:

godot10,

Yes it makes so much sense the Oilers won’t do it sadly

101. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

FrankenOil,

Well, what the hell is a coach going to say?

IF the Oilers draft Lazar, he will be no more then a third line player, that’s it.

It’s also about NEED and always about BPA!! You don’t draft a player that’s on 80% of the most recognized scouting list as a player between 15-28 in the top ten, ridicules!

Not to mention he is a RW, not a true center, if the Oilers get another bullet in the draft and can pick Lazar up somewhere in the 15-20 range then so be it, but wasting a top ten pick on a player that’s in the top twenty is ludicrous.

Also, he’s only 5’10 to 5’11, he doesn’t play a hitters game like you think he does, finishes his checks yes, but he’s not a pure physical player.

The Oilers NEED a skilled big C The Oilers NEED a big skilled LW…..BOTH will possible be available in the top ten BOTH will be BPA when the Oilers draft.

I watch a lot of OHL games, I am a season seat holder at the Oilers and the Oil Kings, I’m going to tell you Lazar is right where he should be.

Deep draft.

102. gcw_rocks says:

godot10,

No, I want a player that can do both shoot and pass, and there seem to be lots of them in this draft.

103. speeds says:

Only 3 or 4 games until Paajarvi has to clear waivers, any chance the Oilers send him down to OKC before then to get him into AHL playoffs?

104. FrankenOil says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

Well if you see where I basically listed at least guys I would take ahead of Lazar:

FrankenOil:
    No I don’t want the Oilers to take Lazar ahead of (in no particular order): Barkov, Monahan, Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Mantha, Nurse, Ristolainen (whose draft profile screams Pitkanen to me anyways and I loved Joni when he was here). Outside of Mantha, I am not interested in a winger (Shinkaruk – too small, Nichushkin – too much of a wild card) in that range and whileLindholm is interesting, I’d rather a C with a different skill set to off-set RNH and probably Gagner.So yeah after the first 8 I mentioned – if they are all gone – I would take Lazar if he were available.

There is zero consensus outside of the 8 I listed talong with Nichushkin and Lindholm as to who goes where. Every scouting list is different. If the Oilers have Lazar (and note I said IF), then go ahead and draft him since after the 8 I’d take ahead of him, the consensu on all the lists is all over the place. Examples:

Zadorov:
    Central Scouting MId-term :30
    ISS: 7
    Button:11

Jason Dickinson:
    Central Scouting MId-term :16
    ISS: 14
    Button:23

Ryan Pulock
    Central Scouting MId-term :6
    ISS: 12
    Button:25

Point is, BPA is very relative when it comes to this draft after the first 8 picks or so.

105. DBO says:

With the cap dropping there will be some players dealt for futures or picks who normally would not be available. So targeting teams who are tight to the cap will be a smart move. Those kinds of moves, and maybe a hockey move (Hemsky for someone, gotta happen eventually) where the dollars are equal but both teams get what they need.

There are a few teams who may deal with us based on cap space we will have, and looking at what they have that may fit our need. These deals could be for picks at the draft or futures/prospects.

- Tampa will only have $3.285 in cap space for 3 players, and one of them will be Bishop so they need to clear cap for sure. Target (based on need and past MSM talk) = Ryan Malone. The tough LW the org jerks off to at night. $4.25 mill for 2 more years. 33 yrs old. Injury history. The perfect Oiler (shaking head sadly). I’d take him since he will cost us a low prospect at most.

- San Jose is also in trouble. They have $8.65 for 7 players. Rumours of them moving Boyle are interesting, and he would be great (although he is a RD), but the target I would look at is Vlasic. $4.25 mill for 5 more years. 26 years old. solid two way LH dman. Perfect fit with Shultz. May cost us a decent prospect but he would make us so much better, and allow the Elder to play 3 LD. San Jose may do it since they have 2 kids starting to play bigger minutes and I doubt anyone takes Boyle’s deal without them eating salary.

- The inevitable Hemsky trade. For a dman or a coke machine I am sure. No idea if we can get much back. More likely to a team lacking offense like Nashville, Florida, Jersey or the long standing every rumour we deal with Columbus. Maybe it is the LT mentioned Umberger for Hemsky deal (Umberger has 4 more years at $4.6 mill. Kinda steep, but the kind of move this team would do, especially with Columbus in the East). But I would more likely see them dealing Hemsky to Buffalo for Stafford (2 more years at $4 mill).

I like the idea of trying to target players with only 2 more years of higher deals since that is when we will need to play Yakupov, so decisions will have to be made.

Side note, man capgeek is fun. You can make trades, sign players, etc. and run the cap. geeking out a week bit too much on this thing.

106. DBO says:

So messed around with Capgeek and made the deals I mentioned above. Not saying I advocate them, just saying these are the kind of moves I expect from this management team.
    - traded prospects for Malone
    - traded picks and prospects for Vlasic
    - traded Hemsky for Stafford

Payroll
    $68,811,667
    Bonuses
    $8,550,000
    Cap Space
    $310,833

That is the capgeek calculation, which I think takes into account previous discussion of certain bonuses not all hitting same year. That is a much bigger roster, with more balance and better veterans while giving our kids the best chance to win. I could get behind those moves. Yes cap is way too tight, but we could do damage with that lineup.

107. FastOil says:

skinny65:
    All these people talking about oreilly, stop wasting your time!!!!He cannot be traded for one calendar year from the day he was signed which was something like feb 28.So make your ludicrous trade proposals forsomeone who is at least slightly plausible.

Feb 28,2014. Book it!

108. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

FrankenOil,

First I want to say good conversation.

Now, normally in a draft year I would agree with you, anything outside the top 6 is hit and miss.

However this is not one of those years.

I just think, with the way Lazar plays, (he’s on an elite team) is hiding some glaring issues.

I also think that Oilers fans and fans of Oil Kings are over valuing him, the most recent N.A players as listed by NHL.com for Central Scouting service has Lazar as the 26th ranked N.A player!

//www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Which means he might not even be in the top 30 according to central scouting.

If the Oilers can get an additional pick, then I might agree with a risk pick in the 10-20 range, I feel there’s to much in this draft the Oilers need besides Lazar who is a RW.

I agree with your top 8 with the exception of Lindholm, I have not read up enough on this player.

109. TheOtherJohn says:

bookje: TheOtherJohn, In year 1 of the ‘rebuild’, Tambellini basically announced (with no uncertainty) after Khabibulin went down that they were going to try to finish last. However, as others point out, up until that point and certainly in the preceding summer (when they were chasing Heatley and ignoring GlenX and signing NK) they were doing their best to build a competitive team. They failed in an astounding fashion to do so. The RNH pick year (i.e. the season leading to RNH) was also clearly telegraphed by management. So that’s 1.5 years. The following year, there were indications that they wanted to improve their final standing (at least Tambellini suggested that) and best guesses are that they were hoping to move out of the bottom 5 and get near a playoff spot. If that was their goal, they failed miserably as they ended up 29th in the league.With that said, it’s difficult to know. Only Daryl Katz knows what the strategy is. They may be all in on this slow and steady approach and perfectly fine with missing the playoffs this year.

Again, sorry to disagree.

The Oiler urban legend of the Oilers trying to tank is simply not true. It would be much easier for all Oiler fans to stomach than sheer managerial incompetence. It is just not true. There is less than ZERO evidence that we were tanking in the Hall draft year. That case simply could not be made out.. . The Oilers assembled their roster, including the overpay: $$ and term to Khabby and he went down after 18 games. The only evidence that would support tanking was moving Lubo for a broken footed Whitney but the Oilers deny that Whitney was injured or had chronic feet problems so I’m not sure of how that is evidence of tanking Well thats also not true because they hired Pat Quinn, who refused to match lines, insisted on a Coke Machine on every line (JF Jacque on the 1st line) and seemed astonished when that did not work out.

So no evidence of tanking. Bad roster and late in the year as the story goes: Katz tells organization its time for a “true rebuild” ….ie blow it up real good.

In Nuge’s draft year the Oilers lost 16 of the last 21 games after Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Hemsky all got injured very late (Hall, Eberle, Gagner) or relatively late (Hemsky) in the year. That consisted of the almost all of our players capable of scoring. All, at one time. You will also recall that the top 4 D man we traded for with chronic bad feet/ankles went down after 35 games.

It was not tanking. It was assembling a very shitty roster and then having ALL of your top scorers l go down with injuries at the end of the year. That season was capped off by the Oilers scoring a total of 24 goals in the last 16 games with all of: Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky & Whitney out for the year with 4 of those injuries taking place after the trade deadline. Leading scorers on the roster for that last 16 games: Cogliano and MPS

So as much as I wished it was tanking it was not. While spending near the cap so you were spending lots for very few wins

110. Gret99zky says:

Good post, DBO. Very interesting. You may be smarter than MacT.

If you have cool gray hair and designer glasses you may even win favour with LT.;)

111. JohnnyRocket says:

Anyone else watching OIl Change on access? Its the last episode of the 2010-11 season. Tambo ends it with saying they are fortunate to have 1 overall picks two years in a row, but there is no way that he wants to be in that seat on TSN next year. And that the goal is the playoffs next year.

In most jobs, if you publicly stated a goal like that and missed it by a country mile, you would be demoted. If you kept missing your goals, year after year, you’d be fired.

How does this man have a job?

112. Rondo says: