THE 2013 ENTRY DRAFT AND CURTIS LAZAR

In the words of Casey Kasem, we’re counting down to a new number one. QMJHL winger Jonathan Drouin is #1 on my list of 2013 draft eligibles, passing Seth Jones.

1. L Jonathan DrouinQMJHL star was 39, 34-48-82 in late Feb and is 16, 10-25-35 (including playoffs) since. I know he’s 5.11, 176 but his NHLE reads 82, 18-31-49 and he’s improving as the season wears on. Craig Button: “He’s dangerous with the puck because he can shoot, pass or beat you one-on-one and there is no easy way to play versus him because he’s a multi-faceted threat.”
  2. D Seth Jones: Big WHL defender is strong, skilled, massive wingspan, tough, physical, can do it all. 30, 6-22-28 +19 since January 1st and 61, 14-42-56 +46 overall. He slips down one notch because Drouin looks like a truly elite offensive player, no other reason. Craig Button: ”He’s a unique defenceman. I consider him the most unique defenceman since Chris Pronger.”
  3. C Sasha Barkov: Another mover, moves up one based on ridiculous numbers at at tender age in the SM-Liiga. He’s 6.02, 205 and 53, 21-27-48 during the Finlandian regular season, 5, 0-4-4 in the playoffs. Bob McKenzie has mentioned the name Dale Hawerchuk as comparable in style to Barkov. That’s some nice company. Corey Pronman: “Barkov is on pace to have one of the best 17-year-old seasons ever in Finland’s top league. He is a big man with high-end skill and elite hockey sense, but his skating still needs work.”
  4. C Nathan MacKinnon:  Last time we looked at MacKinnon, he was sitting 37, 26-36-62. Since then, including playoffs, he’s 13, 9-16-25. MacKinnon’s NHLE is 82, 17-22-39 and I think it’s safe to say he’s shy of Drouin and Barkov offensively. Still, much to be excited over. Excellent skater, quick hands, great shot. Natural center, can play a physical style. Corey Pronman: “MacKinnon is an elite prospect in every sense of the word. He can do everything at such a high level and has the tools to potentially be a star if not a superstar.”
  5. C Elias Lindholm:  A fine 2-way C prospect who helped his cause with a strong season in the SEL (48, 11-19-30). Craig Button: “His game is founded on an intelligence and understanding that is exceptional. He’s capable of adapting to any situation with the ability to make the right play regardless of the challenge. They call these types of players ‘a coach’s dream.’ He is a very good skater who is quick and agile and combined with his IQ, it makes him a very difficult player to play against and try to get an advantage on.”
  6. C Sean Monahan: This is a guy I’d love to see the Oilers draft, but doubt they’ll get a chance at him. His OHL season (58, 31-47-78) is shy of the forwards ahead of him, but his range of skills makes him an attractive option for those picking outside the top 5. Corey Pronman: “Monahan is a top-end thinker who shows good all-around play. My only quibble with him is only average skating, but aside from that, he does everything else well or really well.”
  7. L Antony Mantha: He is one of several forwards I can see Edmonton trading up for in the edition of the draft. Scored 50 goals in 67 QMJHL games, an impressive toal. He’s 6.03, 200 and came on strong this season. May be somewhat undervalued based on some of the draft rankings . Corey Pronman: “Mantha is an intriguing package of tools as he is 6’4” with good speed, a heavy shot, and offensive instincts. I wasn’t all that sold on him last season, but he has developed well over the last six months or so.”
  8. L Valeri Nichushkin: 6.04, 196 fast and skilled, stunning display at the World Juniors. Corey Pronman: “Nichushkin has a ton of upside between his elite skating, his great skill level, and a good power game. He has been playing in the KHL at 17 and had an impressive World Junior showing.”
  9. D Rasmus Ristolainen: 6.03, 207, has a wide range of skills and is playing in SML. Strong, 2-way defender with good offensive range. Corey Pronman: “Ristolainen has logged really tough minutes this season, displaying significant two-way ability. He does everything really well, as he can skate, move the puck, and make plays in his own end.”
  10. C Curtis Lazar: Closed very well (final 21 games: 15-9-24) and ended the season with a flourish (or was it a swirl?). There’s a big disconnect between what we’re being told the scouts believe and how the scouting services have ranked this player, but I suspect he’ll close strong. I also expect he’ll be the Edmonton Oiler selection. Now, that may not mean much after the Yakupov counter trey a year ago, but Oiler fans pretty much knew Hall and the Nuge would go #1 overall in their draft years and Lazar should be available when Edmonton picks (depending on how this goes down the stretch). I’d bet a 2-4 on Lazar being an Oiler pick. Corey Pronman: “Lazar is a plus skater with a similar amount of two-way work ethic. His production this year has caused mild concerns, but he remains an above-average but not a great offensive player with an upper tier shot.” Craig Button: “He is very good in traffic and he is a player who bears down in the scoring areas to get his opportunities. His skating is very good and his quickness may be better than his speed. He’s a guy who can play at a high pace and tempo. Curtis gets involved and will assert physically to win the puck and gain advantages. He is good all-around player who finds a way to impact the game in many ways, even physically. He reads and anticipates the play very well which combined with his skill, makes him very hard to keep in check.”

• Evan Daum: “Word on the street – or press box in this case – is the Edmonton Oilers are extremely high on draft prospect Curtis Lazar. The whispers of “wouldn’t he look good on the Oilers’ third line?” have gotten louder in recent weeks.”

84 Responses to "THE 2013 ENTRY DRAFT AND CURTIS LAZAR"

1. ItsTheBGB says:

I cannot see any way Lazar gets into the top 15. He’s good, but he’s not good enough. Being short doesn’t help, either.

2. VanOil says:

Curtis Lazar, from what I see projects to be Horcoff. Which is good Horcoff is a valuable 3d line player. But much like defencemen I don’t think this this type of player matures until about 25. That’s a long wait.

3. speeds says:

What, in your mind LT, is the source of the gap between Drouin and MacKinnon/Barkov, enough of a gap that Jones fits between? Just flat out offensive upside?

And, if you were EDM’s GM and they won the lottery, would you be picking Drouin, Jones, or someone else? Or possibly trading down?

4. Captain Happy says:

Drafting a potential 3rd line player at #10?

speeds:
    What, in your mind LT, is the source of the gap between Drouin and MacKinnon/Barkov, enough of a gap that Jones fits between?Just flat out offensive upside?

And, if you were EDM’s GM and they won the lottery, would you be picking Drouin, Jones, or someone else?Or possibly trading down?

Drouin’s performance leads me to believe he might be a generational talent–he’s outstanding and has ripped up the ranking this season. It could be a freak season–there’s a danger–but when I watch him he just has that Lafleur electricity about him.

I’m worried enough about Barkov’s speed and MacKinnon’s offense that Jones slides in.

If I’m Edmonton’s GM? I’d take Jones.

6. In the Grease says:

I don’t get it , why- assuming the Oilers are indeed in search of a center , which seems logical – would they reach down for Lazar? (currently ranked at 28th on Button’s list… I know, I know … it’s Button, but also #25 on MacKenzie’s Jan ranking) ….It seems apparent from recent drafts that they are aware size is also an issue in the top 6 / top 9 – so if they’re gonna reach down why not pick Frederik Gauthier? 6.5″ 210 lbs, and just turning 18 this month. Is the fact that Lazar plays in Edmonton going to be a deciding factor? Just doesn’t make sense to me grabbing yet another small-ish forward….

TSN Scout Craig Button on Gauthier:
    An imposing centre who can play any situation in the game. Very smart and his awareness is excellent both with and without the puck. Can control the game from the centre ice position in multiple ways. Is very difficult to handle offensively and equally difficult to break down defensively. Has very good skating and puck skills and really understands how to play to his strengths for the benefit of the team. Has shown the ability to raise his level of play at critical times and is a very competitive player.

Sounds like two -way ability as well, with that ever-elusive size….

7. Captain Happy says:

The way it’s looking right now, Florida will draft Drouin.

A Huberdeau – Drouin line could be lethal.

With Columbus leading the Sharks 3-0, they move ahead of the Oilers so the Oilers may be drafting higher than 10th.

8. In the Grease says:

I guess by default that also means I am wondering. LT, why you have ranked Lazar at #10, ahead of more than a dozen other prospects in contrast to both MacKenzie and Button…. am I missing something?

9. speeds says:

EDM is in a pretty interesting position if they end up picking, say, 9th and Nichushkin slides. There aren’t many teams that would be in a better position to be patient, pick a prospect in the top 10 and be comfortable with him outside the NHL for a couple years.

I can see the temptation to just take Jones if EDM were to win the lottery – it’s the less complicated decision and could well be the right one.

Which leaves the team better off in 2 years, if you’re convinced you need a “franchise D”?

Jones + Eberle

or

Drouin + whatever D you can get if you trade Eberle this summer

10. leadfarmer says:

There is a pretty good chance we only win 3 games the rest of the way. Most likely win against Calgary and Colorado as both are dumpster diving. Phoenix is in about the same shape as us battling for a playoff spot, but likely outside looking in. The rest of the games are against divisional leaders plus two against the Wild who we never beat. This includes 6 games in 9 days to end the season. I predicted a 10th in the West finish at the start of the season, and right now that looks optimistic. Hope we get a better and bigger player than Lazar.

11. VanOil says:

Nuge with 2 good shoulders looks better than anyone on this list. Can we send him to the surgeon now? If we go by Hall’s recovery timeline it will be January before he is 100%

12. leadfarmer says:

Captain Happy,

Next year we can draft a potential 4th line center with our first round pick completing the center flush.

In the Grease:

I had him #12 mid-Feb

and #12 mid-March

He’s been impressive since the new year.

14. 42 percent body fat says:

Drouin looks good and until the emergence of MPS he would have been my pick (we needed another LW). However this is the QMJHL. This situation looks an awful lot like a certain oilers center in Junior.

Gagner (small highly skilled player) played with the preseason ranked number 1 (kane) and an already drafted older player (kostitsyn).

Drouin (small highly skilled player) played with the preseason ranked number 1 (mckinnon) and and already drafted older player FRK

Not saying Drouin is bad, he is a sublime talent, but this is why he should not be number 1;

1. this is the QMJHL, numbers do not convert to NHL as likely as the OHL or WHL. Ask Sean Couturier
    2. his NHLE is actually lower than Gagners 53 and Kanes 59 (if I remember correctly) in a very similar position or situation. Frk is better but kostitsyn was older.
    3. Yzerman was a better scorer and all around player than Federov (was great two way himself) but Yzerman adapted his game for the team to win. Watching Mckinnon play he seems to have done this and is letting drouin take the ropes for the offence.
    4. This is the Q
    5. Simon Gamache (irrelevant, but this is the Q)

15. jonrmcleod says:

I was leaning toward ranking Drouin ahead of MacKinnon a few weeks ago, but since MacKinnon has come back from his injury, he’s been very impressive. He’s faster, stronger, and more explosive than Drouin. Drouin is the better playmaker, obviously. I think if I had to pick between drafting one or the other, I’d pick MacKinnon.

16. Southern Oil says:

Don’t mean to downplay the thread at all LT, but boy this gets far less exciting every year. Next year I want to draft 22nd – we seem to have good luck at that spot.

17. regwald says:

Lowetide: I had him #12 mid-Feb

and #12 mid-March

He’s been impressive since the new year.

ISS (Hockey’s Future) has Lazar ranked at #11.

18. jonrmcleod says:

LT: I’ll put it more bluntly…I don’t think there’s anyway McKinnon should be ranked #4.

19. Rondo says:

Oilers need a big 2 way center they don’t need a Drouin or MacKinnon . Edmonton is full of the same players.

20. mustang says:

That Frederik Gauthier fella is an interesting player, I don’t know anything about him, has anyone on here seen this young fella play live? If so what is you opinion on him. Thanks

21. jonrmcleod says:

Rondo,

I believe McKinnon can be a 2-way center. Another difference between McKinnon and Drouin is that McKinnon is much better defensively. That’s why Drouin was given an offensive role at the World Juniors.

22. RexLibris says:

The problem with drafting Lazar is that he is either an overqualified 3rd line centre or a good 2nd line RW. From what I’ve seen over the years, he’d be best suited as a winger.

I’d prefer either Mantha or Gauthier, Monahan ideally (and realistically), but whatever player is taken this year needs to spend some time ripening on the vine. I guess Tambellini will have to actually add some players this off-season. Are there NHL rules about that?

23. Rondo says:

jonrmcleod,

That is the problem with the Oilers they want to build an All Star team and not a hockey team.

Look how the men’s USA Olympic team was built. Oilers management has not figured it out.

24. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Captain Happy:
    Drafting a potential 3rd line player at #10?

Sums up the oilers drafting quite nicely doesn’t it?

25. Captain Happy says:

Columbus 4 San Jose 0

Oilers – 12th/25th

26. speeds says:

Rondo:
    Oilers need a big2 way centerthey don’t need a Drouin or MacKinnon .Edmonton is fullof the same players.

It wouldn’t have been all that hard to imagine EDM saying “Well, we’ve already got a bunch of small, skilled guys in our top 6, we don’t need anymore. Maybe we don’t need to take the BPA here, let’s look to get a D at 22, maybe someone like Cuma or Carlson, or a big F like Nemisz.”

It would have cost them Eberle.

Incidentally, that Eberle pick is part of why I think some are getting a bit carried away with the idea that EDM will pick by need. They’ve already proven, in the first round at least, that they are willing to take the BPA even if it doesn’t necessarily suit current needs (or current perceived needs).

Could have made the argument against a F like Eberle in 2008. They took Eberle.
    Could have argued for a D in terms of positionally need in 2009. They took MPS.
    Could have argued for a C ahead of a W in 2010. They took Hall.
    Could have argued for a D in 2011 in Larsson. They took RNH.
    Could have argued for a D or C in 2012. They took Yakupov.

27. Rondo says:

speeds,

Not really , most teams won’t take a D with the #1 pick for good reason.

Your argument works for any scenario . You can never be wrong.

Southern Oil:
    Don’t mean to downplay the thread at all LT, but boy this gets far less exciting every year.Next year I want to draft 22nd – we seem to have good luck at that spot.

It was painful for me to write this. Seriously. No joy at all. None. I like to keep track of the prospects–always have–but don’t usually post all that much until season’s end. It has sadly become a staple of mid-season on this blog. Gack!

29. bendelson says:

Strange list.

Based on projecting the Oilers picking between 7th and 10th… drafting Lazar without trading down in the draft seems foolish. The Oilers may have him top 10 but does anyone else on the planet outside of yourself LT? Any ideas where Redline has him ranked?

Mantha at 7? Nice package of skills indeed but he is a year older so those numbers should be impressive. Was Mantha passed over in the draft last year? How else does Mantha and Wennberg end up in the same draft year? Perhaps just an error on the TSN website?

The top four seems locked with it somewhat wide open after that… hopefully they get their shot at Monahan and let Lazar go 15-20. Hell, maybe he slips further and they can package the two seconds to take him late in the 1st round.

30. speeds says:

bendelson,

Elite prospects has Wennberg only about a week younger than Mantha, I’m guessing his age at TSN is a typo. If he was born Sept 22, 1995, he wouldn’t be eligible until the 2014 draft.

In the Grease,

Because he’s already part of the organization in sense, and the Oilers fall in love with their own players.

If you gave Oiler management a lump of shit on a stick and made them carry it around for year and then gave them the option of trading it in for a strawberry on a stick, they’d probably pick the poop.

*Note: I have not done this experiment, nor do I know about the fragrance/60 or peanut content WOWY. There are probably some colon-mate issues I’m ignoring too, but I’m putting it out there.

32. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

My favourite part is that you take it as a given that Oilers management would carry the shit-on-a-stick around for a year in the first place.

“A gift!”

33. speeds says:

Rondo,

How so? I admit I don’t have EDM’s list, so I’m obviously just trying to guess based on their actions, but I’m not sure what you mean. How can’t I be wrong?

34. bendelson says:

OK ISS is making my trading down comment sound somewhat unrealistic…

I guess the real question to ask is who has to slip in order to change the managements mind about drafting Lazar? My fear is the answer is nobody – they are taking Lazar whether it’s 7th or 10th or whatever…

speeds: Back in 2008, EDM had Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson in the fold, all 23 or younger and all coming off 40+ point seasons.

It wouldn’t have been all that hard to imagine EDM saying “Well, we’ve already got a bunch of small, skilled guys in our top 6, we don’t need anymore.Maybe we don’t need to take the BPA here, let’s look to get a D at 22, maybe someone like Cuma or Carlson, or a big F like Nemisz.”

It would have cost them Eberle.

Incidentally, that Eberle pick is part of why I think some are getting a bit carried away with the idea that EDM will pick by need.They’ve already proven, in the first round at least, that they are willing to take the BPA even if it doesn’t necessarily suit current needs (or current perceived needs).

Could have made the argument against a F like Eberle in 2008.They took Eberle.
    Could have argued for a D in terms of positionally need in 2009.They took MPS.
    Could have argued for a C ahead of a W in 2010.They took Hall.
    Could have argued for a D in 2011 in Larsson.They took RNH.
    Could have argued for a D or C in 2012.They took Yakupov.

They take a C.

Book it.

36. speeds says:

bendelson,

I think another interesting question is how does EDM have their list tiered, and do any of the teams higher up have an inclination to trade down for a 2nd (or maybe two 2nds).

It’s possible they really like Lazar, but like Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm notably more, and are more than willing to part with one or two 2nds to get into a position to draft one of those guys if another team is willing to trade down.

37. speeds says:

Woodguy,

I heard the same thing last year, when it was hinted they were looking at Murray. They took Yakupov.

Note: note: I’m not equating Lazar to feces.

The kid can play and went 30g-14a-44pts in the last 45 games of the WHL season.

That’s pretty good.

Don’t know if its 2C on a NHL team good, but its good.

speeds:
    bendelson,

40. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy:
    Note: note: I’m not equating Lazar to feces.

Too late – if the Oilers draft him and he becomes our first-line centre for years of Cup wins, his nickname around these parts will remain “Shit on a Stick”. Book it.

speeds:
    Woodguy,

I heard the same thing last year, when it was hinted they were looking at Murray.They took Yakupov.

I heard that too, but not from Stu.

Heard it from Stu this time.

He may have said it last time and I just missed it.

Pretty sure Stu’s pick was Murray.

“Steve Smith”: Too late – if the Oilers draft him and he becomes our first-line centre for years of Cup wins, his nickname around these parts will remain “Shit on a Stick”.Book it.

Booked.

43. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: I think if Monahan gets to (say) 8th they should try to trade up and grab him. Looks like a keeper.

With both Columbus and Calgary holding 3 first round picks, this could be a very unpredictable draft since I expect both teams will be open to moving some of those picks.

Compounding everything is the new lottery which could see any non-playoff team picking 1st overall.

44. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

It’s a good basic axiom that if you take a quart of ice-cream and a quart of dog feces and mix ’em together the result will taste more like the latter than the former. That’s the problem with Oilers management.

45. Captain Obvious says:

That Daum quote on Lazar is terrifying.

Q: What kind of organization run by morons would use a top 10 pick with the hopes of getting a third line player?
    A: The same organization that drafted Ewanyk in the third round and Moroz in the second round.

I hate Curtis Lazar already. He is everything that is wrong with the hockey establishment. He will be a terrible, terrible, overdraft no matter where he is taken. It won’t be high school player from Quebec bad, or Scheifele instead of Couturier bad, or letting Grigorenko fall bad, but it will be bad.

46. bendelson says:

I think that is a wonderful idea that a solid management group with the chops to make such a move would strongly consider.

That is all.

47. Ryan says:

leadfarmer:
    Captain Happy,

No need to wait that long… We like to blow our 2nd round pics on guys who project out to the fourth line or bottom pairing, so we can wrap that up this year.

48. Hammers says:

5 games from now we will have a better idea . 8th is a possibility

49. Ryan says:

Woodguy: I’ve heard Stu interviewed this year saying stuff like “since we’ve drafted 1st overall they last 3 years it gives us the luxury of filling a need this year”

They take a C.

Book it.

I guess if you look at the cupboard, they probably do mostly need a centre.

Yet, the Oilers roster is in need of many things like top four defensemen. I’m mean there’s the klef bomb, but I’m not sure any of the others will pan out.

50. Wolfpack says:

Does the lump of shit on a stick have poise?

Every year we talk about the Oilers trading up and every year it does not happen. Wait, there was Riley Nash. Trading up into the area of the top ten just seems so rare to me I think i will faint if it happens this year.

I really hope the Oilers don’t choose Lazar because of where he played his junior. I am higher on him than most but don’t think he should go in the top 10.

51. VanOil says:

I would like to point out some of the teams chasing us down this list don’t have our pedigree. Buffalo, Nashville and Philly are all amateurs at this game. Only when you get to Carolina and there impressive 6 game losing skid do you see a serious contender though you have to admire TB superstar players and there salaries executing the nose dive with such grace. When you got the skill and experience at this the Oilers do, expect the best. So a #6 pick is easily achievable before any Tambo lottery magic. Monahan here we come.

52. bendelson says:

Note: A Casey Kasum countdown without a long distance dedication is just not right.

53. Suntory Hanzo says:

Wolfpack:
    Does the lump of shit on a stick have poise?

I’m more curious how much grit the LOS has.

54. VanOil says:

Suntory Hanzo:

LOS has grit, a Pile or POS has poise. It is an important distinction.

55. eidy says:

I am sad that tambellini might not be done. How could he not be. He has too be statistically the worst gm ever.

That is why I am hoping too slide back to the 5-6 range. Take monahan and then have an early second. I don’t trust the management to make the right choice so I prefer when it’s taken out of their hands. I would take the top 4, monahan, lindholm, Rasmussen nikushkin, over lazar.

Gernat 2g, SIGN THE MAN
    Kessy with another goal as well.

56. Ducey says:

Wow. Oil Kings up 9-2 over Med Hat. Musil with 2 A’s, Moroz 1A, Ewanyk 1G, Gernat 2G, Lazar 1 A

When it comes to Gernat, couldn’t they just sign him to the max contract and then keep him in the minors his whole ELC? I don’t see him making the show by then anyway as he needs a few years to add some beef and learn to play some semblance of defence.

I am not sure why you guys are worrying about Lazar. Tambo will win the lottery.

And Kessy with 9 G and 2 A in 9 playoff games. Maybe he is LT’s saviour – another Pisani

57. PDO says:

Ha! Only a real loser organization would try to draft a 3rd line C with the 10th OV pick.

…shit.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If this is a ceiling projection… they aren’t aiming damn near high enough for their 1st rounder.

If this is a current projection (i.e., he’d look good on the 3rd line next year)… they are out of the pot and into the fire tossing another raw rookie to the wolves.

I expect it’s the latter… if only because it makes more sense and fits the mgt. profile of the Oilers current era.

59. Smarmy says:

So Lazar is the next thing posters are going to rant about because they’re sure it’s gonna happen? *yawn*

60. wheatnoil says:

Uh… guys… I’m pretty sure the Oilers are going to win the draft lottery. That’s kind of Tambellini’s thing. Also, it would HILARIOUSLY piss the Flames off.

Seth Jones. Book it!

61. PDO says:

How much money is too much for Nathan Horton?

#1) The Oiler’s are one of the few teams with cap space next year.
    #2) He’s killing it for Boston this year – http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=191&withagainst=true&season=2012-13&sit=5v5 – and they can’t resign him.
    #3) If you sign him, you can trade Hemsky for a D without blinking.

Would he sign for say..

8-6-4-3-3-3? 4.83 cap hit, he gets money up front and given the low cap signs with one of the best teams that can actually make a play for him this summer?

Then you can flip 83 for a top 4 D to a team like St. Louis, Washington or New York.

Always liked Horton. RW would be Horton, Eberle, Yakupov, LW would be Hall, Paajarvi, Hartikainen? Hmmm. Interesting.

63. Bad Seed says:

Take it for what it’s worth but Matty has been asked a couple of times in his columns about who the Oilers need & he’s said Barkov each time.

64. In the Grease says:

Woodguy:
    In the Grease,

If you gave Oiler management a lump of shit on a stick and made them carry it around for year and then gave them the option of trading it in fora strawberry on a stick, they’d probably pick the poop.

*Note: I have not done this experiment, nor do I know about the fragrance/60 or peanut content WOWY.There are probably some colon-mate issues I’m ignoring too, but I’m putting it out there.

Basically my thinking as well based on the Daum quote…. just couldn’t put it into words as eloquently as this…. haha.

And yes not to say Lazar is not a good player, just seems like the Oilers have been trying to draft for size with several picks outside of the first round in recent years – could this not be the year that the first round pick does target this need?

65. In the Grease says:

Bad Seed,

Of course, Barkov would be a no brainer if they somehow found themselves in the position to grab him… this assuming a non-lottery first overall win, Drouin and Jones already off the board, and the Oilers actually pulling off Mission: Impossible – moving up in the draft ?

Edit: It is indeed depressing realizing how much mental energy I am already directing at the draft. Bleh…

66. dessert1111 says:

Watched the Blazers game. Kessey is good at going to the front of the net, but he has trouble stickhandling and passing, ie the basic hockey stuff. Missed a wide open net from a few feet away on a 5-3. Gets good PP time with quality guys, but looks like he normally skates on what is either the 3rd or 4th line. Ugh. Well at least he is putting up points right now.

67. Clarence Oveur says:

PDO,

Hemsky is not going to get you a Top 4 defenceman.

As much as we like him, it’s just not happening.

68. jp says:

Southern Oil:

Yeah, MAP was a hell of a player.

They take a C.

Book it.

Agree they’ll probably take a C, but it’s a bit different this year with the deep draft and (probably) not picking 1st OV. The BPA will be less clear cut and there are C, D and big wingers available – all things on the wish list.

69. eidy says:

Like Horton and Boston tight too cap.

I have been pitching Stalberg from Chicago. 27 yo, 6’3″, 207 lbs. and he can play hockey. Only making 875,000 this year. Would be huge improvement over jones

LW- Hall, MPS, Stalberg, harti/smyth
    RW- Horton, ebbs, Yakupov,and ugggghhhh Brown

That is a nice set of wingers

Hemsky could then be traded too Philly or NYR for a D

70. sliderule says:

Speeds
    You are right cut off hasn’t changed with new cba still sept 15,

Future considerations has Wennberg at sep 22 1994,

71. sliderule says:

The excitement isn’t there because whoever we pick most likely won’t play for two to three years.

The last three first picks we were looking for someone to play immediately and save us from our misery

72. VanOil says:

PDO,

A top 4D man might be available for very little too. Chris Tanev now a top 4 Dman on a good and very expensive Vancouver defense. They have major cap issues even if they move a goalie. A nasty little offer sheet might pry him loose. His is a right handed shot but most of our up coming prospects are lefties and at just 23 he could be here a few years to play with them. We would need Hemskys cap room to pull off both deals. It takes the heat off the actual return on the Hemsky deal and screws over Vancouver.

73. BONVIE says:

Wow almost every one on this list would fit the Oilers drafting by need!! You have a lot of left wings and Centers with size and skill in this list. I have no doubts in my mind that Tambelini will get to the podium before 10th, he is just so good at finishing near the top when it comes to drafting, really he is like a generational talent in the drafting world. He may even get the top pick again this year.

74. Hammers says:

Ryan,

Ristolainen may well be the pick especially after the games last night.We will keep droping . Just not Lazaar . Our “D” still sucks/

sliderule:

Its the Oilers.

He’ll probably play next year.

They’ll draft a C and slot him into 2C and trade Gagner.

76. HBomb says:

It would have cost them Eberle.

Could have made the argument against a F like Eberle in 2008.They took Eberle.
    Could have argued for a D in terms of positionally need in 2009.They took MPS.
    Could have argued for a C ahead of a W in 2010.They took Hall.
    Could have argued for a D in 2011 in Larsson.They took RNH.
    Could have argued for a D or C in 2012.They took Yakupov.

I’d like to think the organization learned a lesson from the massive misstep that was “not taking Zach Parise because they had Mike York and Mike Comrie in place”. However, Lazar worries me because of the whole Oil Kings connection.

And don’t get me wrong. I like Lazar. A ton. One of my three Oil King jerseys is a #27 one (the other two are Samuelsson and Reinhart, for the record). But when I watch the guy, I see one of my favorite non-Oiler players in the league right now – David Bolland. 3rd line guy with enough offense that he can play on the second line at times, depending on strength of linemates and overall team make-up.

(Sidebar: the fact they watched Bolland a ton with London in 2004 yet still made the idiotic decision to take Rob Schremp at #25 instead of Bolland? One of about a thousand reasons I despise Kevin Prendergast.)

You draft that player in the 20-30 range and don’t think twice about it. At #10 overall in what is considered a “deep” draft year, a la 2003/2008? That’s a reach.

The Oilers would be very prudent to find a way to trade into the last third of the first round to position to take Lazar AFTER using #10 on the BPA. Maybe they can use some of those extra draft picks they acquired by offloading Khabibulin, Whitney and Jones on deadli…..oh, wait. Nevermind.

77. DeadmanWaking says:

There’s a table at the bottom of the team page at SCS which predicts draft seeds for teams that miss the playoffs. Factoring out our dwindling chance of squeaking in, our average draft position (including results from today’s games) is to finish 19.9th (good for the 11th pick, lottery not included).

Since I’m feeling lonely, here’s a contrarian from another forum (Mayor Bee) who is pretty firmly of the camp that Howson is not an idiot:

Part 1: Origins
    Part 2: The Setting
    Part 3: Goalies
    Part 4: defensemen
    Part 5: Forwards (again)
    Part 6: Drafting
    Part 7A: Trades
    Part 7B: Trading the Franchise
    Part 8: Contracts and Signings

I think he intends to post a summary piece to end this series of recent posts. I noticed a bit of a sharp exchange with a fellow who seems to accept it as self-evident creed that any team under good management can go from dust to riches in just four years. You see, it’s not about how well you draft, it’s about your farm system having a Midas touch.

78. TheOtherJohn says:

That can’t be true K Lowe has told us a rebuild takes many to rebuild. On the evidence to date, his timeline might be optimistic.

79. FPB94 says:

To me drafting Lazar is just asking to get punched in the face. At best he seems to be a Michael Grabner kind of guy, plus skating and scoring.

I’l just say a number:

4. (Most of them 1 or 2 times)

That’s the number of guys who have cracked top 60 NHL scoring (usually 60 points) with their GP higher than their PTS by at least 5 in their draft year.

Lucic (2X), Clowe, Laich, Burrows (undrafted)

Most guys who don’t have offense in the juniors and ”get it” later on are because they play against men (Europe,NCAA) or are simply from some league where the competition doesn’t permit to properly evaluate (BCHL, swiss etc).

Most guys who score under 60 points yearly (unless Lazar becomes the once every 3 draft kinda guy) can be traded for a 1st pick or under. So taking a 1st pick to try and draft this kind of guy is pretty ridiculous, especially when you have a draft that’s as loaded and you can take a 50 goal scorer or even a guy who scored a 100 points (even if he’s undersized).

80. FPB94 says:

42 percent body fat:
    Drouin looks good and until the emergence of MPS he would have been my pick (we needed another LW).However this is the QMJHL.This situation looks an awful lot like a certain oilers center in Junior.

2. his NHLE is actually lower than Gagners 53 and Kanes 59 (if I remember correctly) in a very similar position or situation.Frk is better but kostitsyn was older.
    3. Yzerman was a better scorer and all around player than Federov (was great two way himself) but Yzerman adapted his game for the team to win.Watching Mckinnon play he seems to have done this and is letting drouin take the ropes for the offence.
    4. This is the Q
    5. Simon Gamache (irrelevant, but this is the Q)

Thanks for your blind assessment but historically the Q pumps up more player per draft pick, has more top 60 scorers per draft pick than any other NA league. So yeah.

81. FPB94 says:

Comparison is poor at best, since Kane was the highest scorer, Sergei the middle man, and Gagner on bottom.

Now it’s Drouin on top, Frk middle man, Mckinnon at bottom. It seems at best you should be dissing Mckinnon (Which you shouldn’t anyway)

82. russ99 says:

The Oilers will draft a defenseman first this year, since nobody is going to be giving away a top pairing guy for either Gagner or Hemsky +, and the defense FA market is weak this coming offseason. I see them turning to Streit and Grebeskhov as stopgaps.

I think there’s a chance Ristolainen slips to us at the 10-13 range, and next up would be Pulock. Just drafting a center (without size) isn’t good enough, and all the top-end big ones will be gone when we pick.

If they draft Lazar at 10-13, that would be a worse reach pick than Moroz at 32 last year…

83. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

first Lazar is NOT a center, he primarily plays RW, I have season tickets and whie he does play center from time to time he mostly plays RW.

Also Laar is small, scouting reports have him between 5’11 and 6’0 this is definitely wrong, standing beside him (I’m 6’4 245lbs) I would have him at no bigger the 5’10, my wife was beside him and she’s 5’8.

So this seems counter productive to draft Lazar based on what we all know not just the so called experts that Oilers lack size.

Also, if the Oilers are drafting for need the biggest need is size, skill in the top 6 specifically on LW, this brings the Oilers into Nichushkin & Mantha territory which is where they may be because other GM’s scare to easy.

Not only that but from all accounts Nichushkin, Mantha, Barkov are by all accounts ready for the NHL game, Lazar would be a project not a prospect.

If the Oilers want Lazar then trading Hemsky with a prospect and one of your seconds to the Hurricanes or the Flyers might net you another first which you then could use to draft for need(Lazar)

Even then, I would still draft a Rychel or Horvat before I would even consider Lazar.

If the Oilers blow a top 8 pick on Lazar then all those SOB should be taken out to the barn and shot in the balls.

84. gcw_rocks says:

DeadmanWaking,

He appears to be mildly delusional in some of this analysis. Yes, Howson was dealt a bad hand to begin with, but he looks through a number of Howson’s moves through rose coloured glasses