TRADE DEADLINE 2013

I’ve written more words about the blue than anything else on this blog, and when it comes to the Oilers the river leads to an ocean. The news is better this spring, with Justin Schultz and his tremendous skill added to Smid-Petry and the rest. If we’re playing along at home and waiting for a Coffey-Huddy-Lowe-Gregg-Fogolin-Jackson complete set, I’ll suggest we’re at about 50% (Smid-Petry-Schultz the younger) with a lot of Gary Lariviere’s and Rick Chartraw’s hanging around.

The Oilers may have a chance at the deadline to add a reasonable fourth to the group.

==

The Oilers have been looking up for so long it’s hard to remember the last player acquired as a rental (no it isn’t–the answer is Ales Kotalik). Here’s my quick hit list:

1. D Mark Streit-A great match for need, and maybe they can sign him to an extension.
  2. L Curtis Glencross-He’d come at a dear price, but is a nice fit for the team’s needs and he’s a rugged bugger.
  3. R Drew Stafford-The Oiler connection is often mentioned, but he’s a good player.
  4. L RJ Umberger-Has plenty of skill and the size Oiler management apparently values like gold.
  5. D Keith Yandle-Supremely talented, but a major cap hit and he’ll cost the sun, moon and stars in trade.
  6. L Raffi Torres-He floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee.
  7. G Ben Bishop-Apparently someone has offered a first round pick, so he’ll be too dear.
  8. C Boyd Gordon: The Other John has convinced me. Jim Dowd walks among us!
  9. D Dmitry Kulikov: Young D apparently available, a perfect fit.

And my list of possible assets out:

1. 2013 2nd round pick (ANA)
  2. Ladislav Smid (UFA): Edmonton hasn’t signed him yet and that might mean there’s a gap between agent and team in terms of zero’s on the contract. Smid is going to get paid, the Oilers have to figure out if they want to be the team to pay him. Signed
  3. Ryan Whitney (UFA): Defensemen always have increased value at the deadline.
  4. Mark Fistric (UFA): I doubt the club would get less than the pick they gave up for him (3rd rd pick).
  5. Ryan Jones (UFA): He’s coming off an eye injury, but his wheels are fine. An NHL team might want to increase their offense in the bottom 6F and have a guy who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, either.
  6. Nikolai Khabibulin (UFA): Will the Oilers re-sign him?
  7. Ales Hemsky (UFA 2014): The Oilers were not getting strong offers for him a year ago (the rumored return was a 2nd and a 4th from Nashville).
  8. Ben Eager (UFA 2014): One year left at $1.1M and the concussion issues are a concern. Plus he’s been on waivers.
  9. Eric Belanger (UFA 2014): Makes $1.75M and might fill a need for a 4line C, faceoff guy and penalty killer. Injured.
  10. D Theo Peckham (RFA 2013): Forgotten man among the Oilers, but he’s a defenseman with NHL experience and that has value.

I’ll update as I can today, please post any deals in the comments and I’ll do a wrap for the GDT later today.

484 Responses to "TRADE DEADLINE 2013"

Newer Comments »
  1. gcw_rocks says:

Salma!

Lots of talk on Toronto sports radio this morning about Khabby as an alternative to Kipper. Wouldn’t that be sweet! For Ben Scrivens?

McBain not on your list for a reason?

If you trade for Yandle, odds are that’s the end for Horcoff or Hemsky. You won’t be able to fit his cap hit in when Hall and Eberle’s new deals kick in.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hayek Attack!!

umm… tsn for free you streamers:

I’m still pretty gobsmacked that anyone thinks that Kipper is worth trading for.

Not sure if TOR is serious, but the laundry list of “hcokey insiders” and “experts” who think this is a good move just pretty much validates the fact that most of the media and a reasonable chunk of NHL teams run on memory and reputation.

Just heard on the radio “we all remember what Kipper did in 2004″

9 years ago and people thinks its relevant today.

Amazing.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Trade everything on that list except for Hemsky and one of Peckham or Fistric for picks. Flip them at the draft for actual NHL players.

buy low, sell high!

we’re not making it this year, don’t let delusion crowd your thinking into keeping hangers on. even if we make it we don’t need these pluggers.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

Just heard on the radio “we all remember what Kipper did in 2004″

9 years ago and people thinks its relevant today.

Amazing.

The Jays acquire Frank Thomas.

The Raps acquire Olajuwon.

This isn’t hockey specific. Part of me thinks this kind of move is often (when not a playoff rental situation) a cynical move to buy the rights to a future HOF’s retirement lap to sell a few more tix. I can’t recall it helping a team on the ice/field/court.

D Dmitry Kulikov: Young D apparently available, a perfect fit.

Whaaaaaaat?

Why is he available?

Source?

I trade this year’s 1st and Marincin or Gernat for him.

I’d trade MPS for him despite no LW depth.

That’s a hell of player available.

GCW: McBain (imo) would cost someone like Paajarvi, and I don’t think that will happen.

Dreger tweets Snow has no intentions of dealing Streit. That’s at 6:45am. Let’s see what happens at noon.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

He’s an LD too, right? right age for the group too.

mmmm… too good to be true.

no way it happens.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 24m
    Intriguing name: teams are talking to Florida about Dmitry Kulikov. He’s not untouchable but I think Florida would need to get a great offer

11. meanashell11 says:

I do not believe Dmitry Kulikov is available and if he were, 1st plus Marincin or Gernat is not going to get this done but I agree he would be a good fit. Realistically PRV may get it done but agree with WG that I am not sure I would do that deal unless we have a deal for Penner for picks lined up and not even sure then!

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Magnus for Kulikov would be a funny re-do of the 09 draft.

If we trade the first, I sure hope it ends up being Lazar and not Barkov.

LeBrun is about as credible as it gets, suspect there’s something there. It’ll come down to what they want, Panthers are one of those goofy teams that do weird things. I think draft picks would have to make up most of the value, but he’s a guy you move heaven and earth to acquire because a player of his quality/future doesn’t come on the market often.

14. remlap says:

I feel like this year there’s going to be a lot of names “available” but not much getting done due to “high prices”.

AKA: The insiders will snatch up any name even the least bit whispered, for the purposes of drumming up some interest in deadline day. Feels like all the big deals were done over the past week.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 12s
    Lots of interest in Bishop: PHI, EDM, CAR and TBAY have all inquired. Sens would like a player and pick in return. #TRADETRACKER

I’m pleased the Oilers are in on Bishop. That’s a good pickup even though Dubnyk is the starter.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 12s

If they can move Khabby for a 2nd, there’s the pick.

Prospect doesn’t have to be any great shakes.

Maybe they need some truculence and we can move Abney.

Haha!

17. DBO says:

Kulikov and Bishop would instantly make us a better team and add depth. So what would we be willing to move for them?

- Kulikov: He is exactly what we need. I hope Tambo is on the phone finding out what Florida needs. I’d give up the 1st this year or next and one of our top prospects. Would our 1st in 2014, Marincin and Peckham get it done? Or would it take less if we are taking back one of their overpaid guys, saving them some money? What if it’s Kulikov, Upshall for Marincin, our 2013 1st and Pitlick? 2 decent prospects and a 1st for Kulikov and we have to take Upshall for dollars. He is a solid, gritty player paid too much, but I would do it if it meant getting Kulikov.

As for Bishop, it will take a 2nd at least along with a player that helps them this year. Wonder if something like Whitney, Jones and a 2nd gets it done. TSN saying prospects and picks fro Bishop. So maybe a 2nd, Roy and Hamilton.Lots to give up, but I do it if we get Kulikov and Upshall (see above). That would be going all in on the playoffs by management. Doubt it happen. I expect Jones and Belanger gone for late picks. Nothing else.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 12s

I’ve asked this before… but did the Oil make an offer when OTT picked him up? Since the price seems to have gone up quite a bit, it would nice to know they tried back then too.

19. wordbird says:

I’d trade Salma Hayek for Penelope Cruz, straight up.

20. DeadmanWaking says:

Romulus Apotheosis: we’re not making it this year, don’t let delusion crowd your thinking into keeping hangers on. even if we make it we don’t need these pluggers

Parodied by Robot Chicken where it is revealed that the Imperial officers just pretend to be strangled by Vader. After suitable dramatics and “death” they are dragged out of the room where they put on a simple disguise and go back to work, with Vader none the wiser. They do this because Vader only thinks he can strangle people with his mind. He does, however, have a lightsaber which can cut people in half, so it’s better for everyone involved to play along. They also, apparently, are reduced in rank, probably so Vader doesn’t catch on. When the instructor points to someone who was “killed” several times already, the guy’s rank is a private.

One more demotion, he’ll become the scullery maid for the Hershey Bears. Our ANP materialization coin-purse is looking mighty scruffy.

We remain at a low ebb in appeasement quotient. It would be a lot easier to trade some of these guys if the receiving GM could silently slot them onto a shadow depth-chart, only to be undraped from shadow purgatory on some pallid LTIR sunrise of the HMS Cinderella. But that’s not how it works. Few fan-bases rejoice to receive the dregs and cast-offs of the lottery-spree North Yonkers Oilanders.

Maybe finishing 9th this season wouldn’t be such a bad thing if it takes the sting out of our reputation as a leper colony. Leper colonies are rarely as active at the wire as one might wish to behold.

I just realized the parallel to Woodguy’s observation:

Only I’m talking about how other fan bases perceive our team’s recent history.

21. DBO says:

makes me sad.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 7m
    Unless something unpredictable is offered, which is possible, Oilers will likely stand pat. Perhaps, add a depth forward. #tradecentre

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird:
    I’d trade Salma Hayek for Penelope Cruz, straight up.

why make a trade? used your depth to acquire both!

and see Jamon Jamon.

Penelope’s damn sexy in her early Spainish films.

23. stevezie says:

Kulikov would address need and be a Russian buddy for Yak. He should probably have one, non?

24. DBO says:

Kulikov is my first target, but McBain is an interesting lower end one. Seems a lot like Franson in Toronto. Not quite on same page as coach, but ready to break out. Has some offensive skills. Maybe it is a simple deal like Whitney and a 2nd for McBain. Our RD depth would be set for years, and gives us at least one puck mover per pair.

Shultz-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Fistric-McBain

You can still look to upgrade LD (I would pull out all the stops of picks and prospects for Kulikov), but this makes us a better team right now. Plus we get younger, and cheaper, giving us more cap space to address other needs.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DeadmanWaking,

favorite satire of Star Wars is Space Balls:

verges on A&C quality! speaking of which:

26. regwald says:

wordbird:
    I’d trade Salma Hayek for Penelope Cruz, straight up.

Nope, I would take Salma Hayek … ;)

27. VanOil says:

wordbird:
    I’d trade Salma Hayek for Penelope Cruz, straight up.

I am 20/20 for this trade.

28. gcw_rocks says:

The Oilers, I think, can put together a “great offer”. Their 1st, plus one of Musil/Marincin/Gernat should be intriguing. Otherwise, I would push MPS, Jones and a secondary prospect like Cornet and see where it goes.

29. VanOil says:

Kulikov for this years first pick and a bucket of prospects would make me a Tambo believer. I would not give up more than a 2nd round pick for Bishop, he is a good second string goalie but they are always some available in the summer as free agents at reasonable prices.

30. jp says:

regwald: Nope, I would take Salma Hayek …

imo it’s a saw off right now, but I think Hayek is closer to the cliff.

31. gcw_rocks says:

regwald,

I am with you. Salma all the way!

32. gcw_rocks says:

Man, if Kulikov moves to someone other than the Oilers without it being a crazy over-pay, I will be pissed.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: Those are some top quality assets on both sides. Would be very expensive to acquire…

imo it’s a saw off right now, but I think Hayek is closer to the cliff.

there’s more top side driving her over the cliff into the river…

hard to argue with either though.

34. wordbird says:

Romulus Apotheosis

Penelope’s damn sexy in her early Spainish films.

Penelope would be damn sexy in a potato sack and a welding mask.

Hayek brings a couple of things to the table, but Cruz is younger with a ton more skill. You build your franchise around Penelope.

35. delooper says:

I doubt the Oilers make any substantial moves at this deadline. They don’t believe they have a realistic shot at doing any damage in the playoffs, provided they even make it. So they’re going to want to keep as many of their prospects and actual NHL players as possible. The only people I see them moving are the prospects they’re close to giving up on like Peckham, and veterans that wouldn’t get you much in return like Whitney. Kind of a meh trade deadline.

36. Lucinius says:

Personally I don’t move MPS. Marincin is also someone I’d be reluctant to move short of being part of something massively beneficial.

For someone like Kulikov you try to do it with someone other than MPS, Klefbom or Marincin to ensure defensive prospect depth in the next two or three years.

37. WeridAl says:

Seriously LT you need to get over this love for Mark Streit, he hasn’t been the same player since he was injured and would do more harm than good. Stafford seriously, big body, but inconsistent, and has no physical game. McBain would be interesting, but he’s soft like a marshmallow, and his offensive game has taken a big drop, is he worth taking a chance on. Dmitry Kulikov would be nice, but it would take a arm, leg and then some and he will most likely run at the 1st chance he gets.

38. JorgeR04 says:

Can somebody put a list together of all the stupid things Feaster has said about Edmonton being bad and Calgary good over the last two years? TSN just mentioned how he gauranteed a playoff spot and reminded me of those things he said about Edmonton last year and how he is now going to get what was coming to him.

39. HiddenDarts says:

Not to go overboard here, but if I’m Florida, I offer my 1st rounder for the rights to Penelope.

I feel like Salma’s still a player, but that 35+ contract might be a tough thing to swallow in a couple of years.

40. regwald says:

HiddenDarts:

Hidden Darts for the win ?

41. nelson88 says:

Count me in for Kulikov. 2014 1st, Gernat and another B leve prospect.

MPS would make me pause but I would likely still pull the trigger.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

HiddenDarts:

not to ruin anyone’s day, but Penelope is 38. Salma 46.

“veteran presence” “staying power” etc.

43. bookje says:

JorgeR04,

44. LMHF#1 says:

Bringing Jason Chimera back would be a solid depth move. He scored 20 last season but is struggling this year.

Would also be nice to see him get another go here after the last run didn’t end very well. Mr. Last Cut had to put up with a lot of crap.

45. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I still like the Paajarvi for Couturier rumor of a deal. works for everyone.

46. Lucinius says:

Looks like Kipper isn’t moving, at the moment. Toronto; go for Khabbi now!

47. Lucinius says:

And Hemsky and Jones are 6 and 7 on TSN’s trade bait list… one belongs there. One does not.

48. bendelson says:

WeridAl,

Why will Kulikov most likely run the first chance he gets?

49. MrSmitty says:

I am all for trading the first rounder and a defensive prospect for Kulikov. Of the three defensive prospects (musil, gernat and marincin) I try and dump musil. He has the least upside of the three. I have watched him play and the guy is another alex plante, he is dreadfully slow which might get him to the AHL but he won’t likey get more than a handful of NHL games. The two slovaks have the tools to be NHL players and good ones at that.

50. slopitch says:

If I’m the Oilers I mostly stand pat. If your gonna move then its Jones, Belanger, Khabby. Now may not be the time to buy with the cap going down this summer. I doubt there are many good available hockey trades but we can hope.

I like Couturier a ton. If we were to get him, what happens to Gagner? PPG season then you move him wing seems odd. Would that signal a Horcoff trade?

51. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking: At Lake Wobegon, any hint of tarnish is ambushed by the Red Queen, who shrieks in anguish You Have Failed Me … FOR THE LAST TIME!

Asset management sets the table for winning only after winning sets the table for asset management. Meanwhile … we wait. If we finish 14th again, we’ll have so many marbles tied up in rising assets that we’ll be forced to yard sale the dregs straight off the auction plank. You think it can’t get worse? Think again.EDITI just realized the parallel to Woodguy’s observation: Only I’m talking about how other fan bases perceive our team’s recent history.

Robot Chicken is the best thing on TV that’s not a movie or a sport. Far smarter than adult soap operas like Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad.

52. Bar_Qu says:

Trade deadline day sucks – its like Christmas morning, drawn out over 6 hours with no guarantee that you get a present combined with the strong likelihood that if you do get one it is going to be the dollar store version of the Barbie Heroin-Look fashion accessories.

In other news, Kiprusoff likely to retire, thus ending any pretension of the Flames being competitive any time soon. I look forward to consoling my 6-yr old on the precipitous decline of his favorite team shortly after he began cheering for them (up until thursday his heart’s desire was an Iginla jersey for his 7th birthday). I don’t expect sympathy, but it is going to make for a very sad kid here. The upside is he may be forced to choose the Oilers out of a lack of any other reasonable option.

53. Captain Obvious says:

Paajarvi for Couturier is dreamy. It is also never going to happen.

I’d be looking to buy something for nothing. The guy that might be had for nothing is Drew Stafford. I’d trade a second round pick and a later pick for him.

54. Smarmy says:

Bar_Qu:

This seems like a good time to drive home the fact that the world is an awful place that doesn’t care about him. Be without mercy and when he’s broken you can give him a hug and tell him he’s ready to be an Oilers fan.

55. bookje says:

Bar_Qu,

You’re a terrible parent for allowing your kid to be a Flames fan. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

56. Captain Happy says:

David Shoalts ‏@dshoalts 29s

RT @smitchcd: Appears #CBJ D Jack Johnson has left practice. Not sure why.

Where is Woodguy?

57. commonfan14 says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger lots of discussion this morning, however sources indicate Kiprusoff will stay in Calgary and retire at the end of the season.

If this ends up being how it turns out and considering Keenan’s handshake understanding comments the other day, the NHL had better at least investigate the Flames for cap circumvention.

It would be incredible if they lost their first rounder this year over it.

The precedent is there with what happened to the Devils.

58. Bar_Qu says:

bookje:
    Bar_Qu,

You’re a terrible parent for allowing your kid to be a Flames fan.Sorry, but someone had to say it.

It gets worse. His second favorite team is the Leafs.

Please don’t tell child services.

59. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: not to ruin anyone’s day, but Penelope is 38. Salma 46.

“veteran presence” “staying power” etc.

Well they certainly both have a lot of poise. Salma might have an edge in truculence. No idea who’s more vocal in the room.

I still go with Penelope based on youth.

60. commonfan14 says:

Jack Johnson just left practice for unknown reasons…

61. spoiler says:

bookje: JorgeR04, Yeah, no sympathy for Feaster, he could have easily made his point about taking a different strategy without the childish attacks on Edmonton. At best, he is there for the tear down of the team. I can’t fathom an owner who would leave him in place for a rebuild.

The teardown arguably requires more skill from the GM than walking up to the podium and picking the consensus #1.

62. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“Jack Johnson just left practice for unknown reasons…”

commonfan14,

Then let’s pray Tambi did not actually make a deadline trade for unknown reasons.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14:
    Jack Johnson just left practice for unknown reasons…

let those not be oiler reasons.

64. dessert1111 says:

The NHL should enact a mandatory “one trade per team” policy on trade deadline day to entertain us.

65. BlueNoteNorth says:

bookje:
    Bar_Qu,

Lol Classic Bookje line.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14:

It would be incredible if they lost their first rounder this year over it.

The precedent is there with what happened to the Devils.

can you explain this?

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

it’s a good thing the NHL and the NHLPA never got around to sorting out the icing situation:

people are the worst.

68. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Small sample size this year (see Kadri, Nazem) but here are TSN last performance rankings with just the forwards.

1 Sidney Crosby
    2 Steven Stamkos
    3 Chris Kunitz
    4 Patrick Kane
    5 Jonathan Toews
    6 Eric Staal
    7 Thomas Vanek
    8 Nazem Kadri
    9 Alex Ovechkin
    10 Rick Nash
    11 Ryan Getzlaf
    12 Taylor Hall
    32 Tyler Seguin (Next time, Hallsy! next time!”)

69. spoiler says:

Dreger tweeted this 2 hours ago, but I don’t see it referenced above:

@DarrenDreger: Unless something unpredictable is offered, which is possible, Oilers will likely stand pat. Perhaps, add a depth forward.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what the hell is tampa doing with A. Hall?

is this crazy or stupid or both?

71. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

So the Flyers have claimed him. What will Tampa pay this time?

The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired forward Adam Hall and a seventh-round pick in 2013 from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Hall has been placed on NHL waivers and if he clears at noon on Wednesday he could be assigned to the Syracuse Crunch.

The Lightning tried to pass Hall through waivers last month en route to Syracuse, but Carolina claimed him.

WeridAl:

Streit has played 2nd toughs with rookies all year and is 50 CF%

Why exactly would Kulikov bolt?

73. G Money says:

Bar_Qu:
    In other news, Kiprusoff likely to retire, thus ending any pretension of the Flames being competitive any time soon. I look forward to consoling my 6-yr old on the precipitous decline of his favorite team shortly after he began cheering for them (up until thursday his heart’s desire was an Iginla jersey for his 7th birthday).I don’t expect sympathy, but it is going to make for a very sad kid here.The upside is he may be forced to choose the Oilers out of a lack of any other reasonable option.

I empathize… I was born and raised in Edmonton (though I’ve lived out longer than I lived in), so I’m a life long Oilers fan. Having the glory years be during my high school/university years didn’t hurt, and neither did going to Jr High with Pocklington’s daughter.

But my sons were all born in Calgary, so they ‘have’ to be Flames fans – I cannot deny them this curse of their birth. In fact, I’m taking my eldest son to the Ballet, sorry, Battle of Alberta tonight.

That said, being that my eldest is only 8 years, he doesn’t truly understand the rivalry, so because of Dad, his second favourite team is the Oilers. That will help him to feel better over the next 10 years or so.

74. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

My guess is that they wanted out from under Bergeron’s caontract (1m this year) and/or they are freeing up contract spots.

Considering it’s Stevie Y, and not Steevo T, I’d guess it’s unconventional and effective.

75. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Jordan,

Stevie Y REALLY likes him,

76. Bos8 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: not to ruin anyone’s day, but Penelope is 38. Salma 46.

“veteran presence” “staying power” etc.

That’d be more like veteran presents.

77. spoiler says:

Wow, this is an aptly named DEADline. LOL@TSN/SN for their very big shows.

I’m concerned about the game tonight, mostly because I’m going and I hate going to away losses. OK that playoff thing is perhaps important too. Here are my issues…

1. Now that the trade stuff is behind him, Kipper will want to go out on a winning note. I don’t expect any softies from him tonight

2. The rest of the team can breathe a sigh of relief now that the deadline has passed and play with less tension and anxiety. Still a lot of vets in that room who can play the game of hockey

3. Despite our win, they out-played us in our own barn last game. We will need more energy and smarts than we came with Monday to beat them in the Saddle.

78. Jordan says:

Bos8: That’d be more like veteran presents.

If veterans got presents like that, there would be a lot more people enlisting.

79. denny33 says:

LT has a list of 10 items that needed possible addressing….we have only one item scratched off.
    ( signing Smid )

We need resolution on at least a couple more items – can’t sit Peckham forever.

As far as Raffi Torres is concerened – TSN panels said it best. – he is ALL BUTTERFLY NOW.

Nothing to his game now that he has been forced to loose his ‘edge’….

80. bookje says:

Woodguy:

Why exactly would Kulikov bolt?

Uhm, hello, he’s a Russian and vodka is expensive in Canada and cheap in Russia. It’s like you don’t even pay any attention to what Don Cherry has been saying over the last 20 years.

81. VanOil says:

denny33:
    LT has a list of 10 items

82. TheOtherJohn says:

If Toronto needs a playoff tested backup goalie: Khabby to TO for MacArthur LW or Matt Frattin. RW

83. spoiler says:

VanOil: I had not noticed that LT had a list above. Something had me distracted. Good focus Denny33.

Speaking of the scantily clad… To those with access, has Unmentionables mentioned anything juicy in the past 24 hours?

84. Truth says:

spoiler,

Word is MacDonald starts. Unfortunate, it would be nice to run Kipper out in Calgary to the fans knowing he’s not willing to be part of a trade that would help the rebuild.

85. Bar_Qu says:

Looks like the Oil missed out on the Maxime Sauve sweepstakes. #sadness

86. Bag of Pucks says:

Bergevin picks up Drewiske for a 5th round pick. Moves like this get lost among the higher profile names on deadline day but this is exactly the kind of depth acquisition TambLoweMacSon could and should be making today.

Kings have some of the best D depth in the league and had to move DD out to make room for Regeher.

“Davis Drewiske is a defenceman with good size and experience who has already played more than 120 games in the NHL,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He adds significant depth to our group of defencemen.”

87. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

MacT looks like he wants to be somewhere else. Steve looks like they gave him an Etch a Sketch app.

88. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Keenan talked the other day about how it was understood when he signed the contract that Kipper never had any intention of playing the final year.

Somebody (I think Dreger) also tweeted the other day that several GMs were pissed about it, with the concensus being that the Flames can’t just get away with that.

If he does retire, it’ll show that the Flames did in practice what the Devils tried to do in theory with the first Kovalchuk contract, and the Devils lost a first rounder over that.

89. Bag of Pucks says:

Trade Day predictions.

Omark to Det for a conditional pick
    Whitney to BOS for AHL prospect we’ve never heard of

Wishful thinking prediction.
    Hemsky, Horcoff, Khabi to the Leafs for Bozak, Gardiner and Scrivens

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Smithson???

who is this guy?

91. wordbird says:

Smithson from FLA to Oilers.

92. jake70 says:

Saying he is a center.

93. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

commonfan14,

Doubt they revisit all those empty barns. The twist is that if K wants a sign and trade he might as well stay put until July 1 as no one can do that now.

94. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

4th round pick for a 34 year old with 36 NHL playoff games.

95. Ribs says:

Smithson is an excellent pickup. The guy flat-out hustles every game.

96. Bag of Pucks says:

97. steveb12344 says:

Smithson is a big body that hits a lot, has no Offence, and is very good at faceoffs

98. jake70 says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

4th round pick for a 34 year old with 36 NHL games.

Wiki says he is R wing. And 543 games?

99. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

Just so everyone is aware…..Mark Streit turns 36 years old this year.

100. striatic says:

could have used Smithson a month ago with Horcoff out.

much less useful now.

101. Jordan says:

Jarred Smithson? Really?

RelCorsi looks terrible, but zone shift looks good. meh.

Edit: RH Center. Plus.

102. remlap says:

Not sure why you guys are saying he’s only played 36 games..

I like it, but I wish it had happened a month ago. With all our centers healthy, it makes less sense.

EDIT: Sorry.. I guess he’s a winger?

103. prairieschooner says:

What does that do for our contract situation?

104. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

remlap,

corrected that to 36 playoff games.

105. Truth says:

jake70: Wiki says he is R wing. And 543 games?

36 GP this year probably. I remember him from being with NAS forever. I’ll take it, would like to see some more PIMs in his resume though.

106. Clarence Oveur says:

WHAT. THE. F*CK.

We waste a draft pick when we could’ve brought in Adam Hall off waivers for nothing. What is Tambellini doing?

107. JAG-041 says:

could be that his RelCorsi is bad because he has no offence and is also likely started in the D zone much more often because of his faceoff ability

108. denny33 says:

Truth,

No Captain Iggy, No Boumeester and No Kipper.

Big softball coming our way…very little arc on it. Softly tossed….

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

thanks. I get it now.

would that apply to the Lou and DiP deals?

110. striatic says:

Bag of Pucks: Sharks deal away Clowe and Hannan for futures. Nice to see one of the teams the Oil are chasing for 8th in sell mode.

this is what i don’t understand about this year.

haven’t we been making fun of Calgary for chasing 8th instead of getting value for assets to be a better team down the line?

Edmonton should absolutely be trading Whitney now. any pending UFA they don’t plan to re-sign should be gone. don’t fall into the trap of giving up assets for nothing in order to just miss the playoffs anyway.

111. goldenchild says:

Jordan: Jarred Smithson? Really?RelCorsi looks terrible, but zone shift looks good. meh.

Agreed. And why not just pick up A.Hall on waivers instead of giving up a 4 that could be bundled up for something else.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Clarence Oveur:
    WHAT. THE. F*CK.

We waste a draft pick when we could’ve brought in Adam Hall off waivers for nothing.What is Tambellini doing?

or J. Jok. both free!

113. Truth says:

50 Contracts now apparently. Goodbye Teddy.

114. Bag of Pucks says:

Florida acquires Smithson for a 6th and then peddles him to the Oil for a 4th despite no appreciable improvement in his game.

Do TambLoweMacSon even look at these things?

Tambi is the old guy at the bar buying the young girl Grey Goose martinis cos she smiled at his stupid joke and he’s convinced he’s got a shot.

115. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“we could’ve brought in Adam Hall off waivers for nothing”

Clarence Oveur,

A. Hall is even cheaper than that. Tampa actually pays a finders fee when they lose him.

116. wordbird says:

goldenchild,

Oil aren’t low enough on the waiver list. had a better crack at him when he was waived the first time…

117. rich says:

Smithson was one of Barry Trotz fav’s when in Nashville. Good on faceoff’s, late in the game was always one of two centre’s on the ice for d-zone FO, solid on the PK, defensively responsible.

Not much in terms of offense, but willing to go to the tough areas.

Tells me that Belanger is not expected back.

And yes, if he’d come back when Horcoff was out, we’d have at least 4-5 more points.

118. nelson88 says:

Mayber they have found a trade partner for Jones and plan on making a playoff run with the following;

hall….rnh…..ebs
    yak…..gags….mps
    smyth….horc…..hemsky
    petrell….smithson….brown

Best forward line up we have iced all year.

119. Jordan says:

Have no problem with picking up this type of player. Looks like a reasonable facsimile of what the team is looking for.

Hall was free, when we needed that extra centre though. Sure hope there’s a second shoe to drop here, or this looks really putrid. Otherwise Asset management gets an F.

120. denny33 says:

striatic,

No kidding. San Jose is obtaining a LOT of picks for old players past their prime.

3 fairly high picks for 1 – 30 year old player. ( value )

FURTHER, they are 7-3 in their last 10 games.

Let’s see …selling incredibly high & they keep winning games….

121. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

I am getting very depressed…..

And as someone else asked….why now?

122. prairieschooner says:

Lets look on the bright side here guys
    Hey his first name isn’t Ryan
    I will bet he has a good rel poise number

123. FrankenOil says:

On The Forecheck (Preds blog) provided this about Smithson on twitter:

In regards to Adam Hall, Strudwick said on the radio that Adam Hall is vastly overrated. He was one player that Strudwick said he was always happy to be on the ice against.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

apparently smithson is in the hospital with his wife in labor right now. he may not report for a few days and he may be a bit… distracted.

125. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

tsn: Jerred Smithson, 34, has played a strictly checking centre role throughout his NHL career, scoring a career-high 16 points with Nashville in 2007-2008. He has struggled this year in Florida, but has five points and a minus-4 rating in 35 games. Where Smithson particularly excels, however, is in the face-off circle, having won at least 54% of his face-offs in each of his last four seasons. He’s also tied for 30th among NHL forwards in hits this season, with 81. Slap him into a fourth-line role and he can kill penalties and win face-offs in the defensive zone.

126. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

4th liner with awful Corsi. Welcome home!

127. Cobbler says:

I like the Smithson trade. Could really care less about the 4th.

Smithson works now and I am happy they are improving the bottom of the roster without giving up much.

I would have prefered a J. Joikinen on the waiver wire but wasn’t to be.

128. asiaoil says:

Smithson for a 4th and potentially a 3rd……..our bunch of mgmt clowns are a riot. Other GMs must just lick their chops when these guys talk about a significant deal. Best we can hope for is that they do nothing except trade Whitney/Peckham or Jones to get the picks back that we wasted on Brown and Smithson.

Bag of Pucks:

The only reason Clowe went is he wouldn’t re-sign w/ SJS.

Getting rid of your crap for picks is known as “Wilsoning”

I look forward to Tambellini Wilsoning someone with Jones today.

130. Ice Sage says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:

Just what is needed, IMO.
    Can’t believe the whining here – there is so much that we don’t know about players but you can be sure that Adam Hall has all kinds of flaws that would piss us all off in a few games – Oilers already have enough of those players.
    More importantly is the message getting Smithson sends to the room – ‘we got a solid vet who always plays hard and who’s gonna help where we need it ’cause we believe we’re going on to the playoffs’

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    4th liner with awful Corsi. Welcome home!

why pay nothing for Hall or Jok when you can pay a 3rd, 4th and 4th for Fistric, Brown and Smithson!!

132. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

I am looking at his simple stats.

He had 1 goal all of last year….ONE goal.

He has 2 goals this year.

You have to give it to ST – this is a BIG improvement over Belanger.

133. Bag of Pucks says:

If nothing else, Smithson looks to be an upgrade on Belanger. Price is low rent and he DOES fill a need.

Would be nice to actually acquire a Bottom 6 player who’s not a boat anchor for a change?

134. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy: Wilson is selling off his poorer players (or as Spector calls them, “better players”

The only reason Clowe went is he wouldn’t re-sign w/ SJS.

Getting rid of your crap for picks is known as “Wilsoning”

I look forward to Tambellini Wilsoning someone with Jones today.

Wilson trades Douglas Murray for two second round picks.

Replaces him with Scott Hannan in exchange for a seventh round pick.

Smart guy.

asiaoil:

Oh its not that bad.

The marginal difference between 4th and 5th or whatever you give up to get him is next to nothing.

Also,

Smithson’s wife induced today as per TEAM1260

Probably won’t play vs. CAL or VAN so he can hand with his wife and new baby

136. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Two more 3rds and he could fill out the 4th line and the bottom pair.

137. Cobbler says:

Yikes, Jokinen just went for less.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

unfuckingbelievable… pens just got Jok for a “conditional pick”…

fuck you tambi… just fuck you.

139. dessert1111 says:

Why are you guys upset? He’s clearly supposed to be a Belanger upgrade/replacement, which puts Smyth back to wing, Lander back to the A and adds a bit of depth. Oilers might be able to get that 4th back for Belanger at the draft. 4th round pick isn’t that valuable — if you’re lucky they turn into Tobias Rieder, then you trade them anyway!

140. asiaoil says:

Plus the guy is not going to play in almost 20% of the remaining games this year because of his baby coming today – bonus!

141. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    unfuckingbelievable… pens just got Jok for a “conditional pick”…

fuck you tambi… just fuck you.

Well said.

142. FastOil says:

Kulikov has -1.3 QoC (easiest) and 58.2% zone starts (2nd easiest) according to Ninja Greg. He would be taking The Bomb’s roster spot unless they move N Schultz and one of the two can handle second. It would be a long term move I think.

I wouldn’t part with this year’s first because next year’s will likely be lower and we need another centre in the system ASAP.

The Johnson thing is worrying. It’s a real shame given they need more org depth and trade chips they aren’t cashing in the non-core UFA assets for anything. I am sure they could get something, perhaps not seconds or multiple seconds, but something.

It likely means they don’t comprehend retaining asset value (or at least part of) or are planning to re-up some or all of them. Neither situation is a good thing, yikes!

143. goldenchild says:

Jokinen is a much better player but has another year on his contract so I doubt they even looked at him. Not that I agree

144. prairieschooner says:

So a trade where we don’t get the player right away?
    If the wife is induced she will be in hospital for 24 -48 hours anyway.
    They have no family to help out?
    The guy should get here right away!

145. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Almost same age. Almost same goal production.

Belanger is supposed to win draws . So is Smithson..

I actually can’t tell the difference between the players….

Belanger is *supposed* to be good defensively. Smithson is *supposed* to be good defensively…
    ( Smithson playing the ‘tough’ 3rd/4th line players in the Southworst )

I think we just added -another – Belanger….

146. Hayek says:

I don’t mind trading 4th rounders because they are usually not NHLers. But we are trading it for a player who is barely an NHLer, no potential, and a rental.

Oh, Smithson was acquired from Nashville last year for a 6th rounder. We pay a 4th rounder, and only as a rental. Tambo sucks.

147. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

prairieschooner,

They played in state last night so no great surprise if he missed tonight anyways.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dessert1111:

it’s about asset mgt., assessing need and fair market value.

KL and ST have shown they can’t do all of the above.

149. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33:
    Bag of Pucks,

Almost same age. Almost same goal production.

Belanger is supposed to win draws . So is Smithson..

I actually can’t tell the difference between the players….

( Smithson playing the ‘tough’ 3rd/4th line players in the Southworst )

I think we just added -another – Belanger….

bingo. and with better, cheaper options available now and when we really needed them previously.

150. jp says:

prairieschooner:
    So a trade where we don’t get the player right away?
    If the wife is induced she will be in hospital for 24 -48 hours anyway.
    They have no family to help out?
    The guy should get here right away!

He’s UFA too. So a 4th for ~11 games of Smithson…

151. Bag of Pucks says:

Denny33 – I suspect mgmt sees Smithson as an upgrade given he hits more. Also is supposedly ‘good in the room’ while Belanger is ‘allegedly not’

On the Jokinen to Pens deal, the devil’s advocate in me is saying some GMs just like to deal with each other and Shero and Rutherford seem to be emerging as that type of tandem. One could also speculate that this is some final ‘wink wink nudge nudge’ closure on the Jordan Staal deal.

152. Ribs says:

Smithson – 81 Hits
    Belanger – 17 Hits

Smithson can wear down players. He did it to Edmonton for years with Nashville.

153. rickithebear says:

Smithson:
    Woo Hoo

We just got nashviles shut down center.
    Until gaustad.
    Histrorically
    Faces 1st or 2nd comp.
    his zone starts were 30 to 36%
    Eats d zones draws.
    55% faceoff.
    Shifts the zone 6 to 10% each year.
    is -1 in this situation every 12 games well ahead of
    the average since lockout.

this could get the kids back to higher than 60% oz start.

is he still that guy?
    PK center rank in the league.
    Gagner #2 1.00
    Smithson #7 2.68
    Horcoff #15 4.15

154. asiaoil says:

Yeah we need a 4 for 1 deal all right……..Jim Nill for Lowe, Tambo, MacT & Howson.

That’s 4 ASSETS Detroit….4 ASSETS!

155. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Ribs,

A 4th for 11 days of Stauffer on hits, poise, and face-offs.

156. Kris11 says:

Tambo overpays. Again.

I don’t mind Smithson for depth. But the cost of Smithson, Fistric, Brown, and Kessy has been too high,

Hopefully they can sell some of Omark, Jones, Whitney for later picks to offset the loss.

157. Cobbler says:

Ribs,

Yes I think with Brown there is some intimidation there and with TOI of around 10:00 these guys will at least be on the ice.

158. spoiler says:

jp: He’s UFA too. So a 4th for ~11 games of Smithson…I don’t mind the trade, but was he not available for a 4th weeks or months ago??

No, he wasn’t while Weiss was hurt. Now it doesn’t matter that Weiss is hurt.

159. G Money says:

prairieschooner:
    Lets look on the bright side here guys
    Hey his first name isn’t Ryan
    I will bet he has a good rel poise number

Except it seems Nashville fans (where he was before FLA) called him Smytty. So there you go.

160. Clarence Oveur says:

This management team sucks.

It absolutely sucks.

161. FastOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    unfuckingbelievable… pens just got Jok for a “conditional pick”…

fuck you tambi… just fuck you.

After Belanger one would think they figured out the age thing a little better, Jokinen is 30, Smithson 34. And I don’t think Smithson is Finnish.

I guess we can see who is connected and has their ear to the ground. Talon might be a maniac, but he sure can make deals.

162. TheOtherJohn says:

Beyond ridiculous: WG championing the use of Wilsoning……. ie getting the better of other GM’s. Shouldalso add Lowebelliniing: not understanding the value of a player in the marketplace.

163. TheOtherJohn says:

Beyond ridiculous: WG championing the use of Wilsoning……. ie getting the better of other GM’s. Should also add Lowebelliniing: not understanding the value of a player in the marketplace. Smithson for a 4th

164. G Money says:

Re: Smithson…

As far as I can tell, his Vollman chart from Florida suggests he is basically Belanger 2.0 – good faceoffs, no offense, similar QOC, similar ZS, slightly lousier Corsi.

Balance that with size, a willingness to skate and hit, and durability and perhaps he’s an upgrade.

But terrible terrible use of a 4th round pick.

165. Clarence Oveur says:

Adam Hall had been sitting on waivers since Christ was a carpenter’s aide…so what does Tambo do?

Trades a 4th round pick on a rental player who is worse than A. Hall, and who was originally acquired by Florida for a 6th rounder.

Just piss poor asset management and player valuation.

166. russ99 says:

Finally addressing 4th line center is a good move.

Would have preferred less that a 4th, but that’s the price on deadline day. Had Tambi not dithered, we’d have payed less.

Besides, Stu’d probably waste that 4th rounder on yet another coke machine… Let see who we move out and the return before slamming the loss of the pick.

167. FastOil says:

Sure didn’t take Shero long to find a good centre when he needed one suddenly, or Wilson to be rid of his worst players. I wonder what that’s like as a fan?

168. WeridAl says:

Like the Smithson trade, a little high, but it does help out the OIilers. If the Oilers get some picks for other players like Jones (3rd) and Fistric (2nd/3rd), the Oilers will be better off.

169. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: thanks. I get it now.
    would that apply to the Lou and DiP deals?

DiP’s deal isn’t back-diving, so there’s no circumvention issue with him.

With Luongo and all the other ones, the league won’t do anything about them because they didn’t do anything at the time.

However, it’s a different matter when you have a guy who worked for the team at the time the contract was signed coming right out and saying that the contract was bullshit from the start.

To me, that should force the league to do an investigation.

Plus come on, imagine the glory of Calgary getting the first overall pick and then having it stripped. Somebody needs to start a campaign.

170. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone remember Rod Beck?

For no reason other than I hate KL and ST and the image of Rod Beck dangling his arm astride his fat belly with his hilarious mullet and handlebar always brings a smile to my face:

RIP Rod Beck.

I hate you ST. I just really, really, really hate you.

171. prairieschooner says:

Oilers only had one contract left to use .
    Any other decisions would require multi tasking at a level that these guys do not have enough time to think through.
    Slow and steady will get you fired

172. rickithebear says:

Romulus Apotheosis: it’s about asset mgt., assessing need and fair market value. KL and ST have shown they can’t do all of the above.

A 4th rd pick has a 8% chance of getting a 300GM NHL player.
    a 6th round pick has a 6% chance.

we traded for one of 10 guys i wanted for that d draw role.
    Get to test drive him for the rest of the year.
    Can likely sign him for 1M less than Belanger.
    Bigger more Physical.

173. Clarence Oveur says:

The Oilers have traded a 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders for: Mark Fistric, Mike Brown, and Jerred Smithson.

Pathetic.

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

WeridAl:

this mgt. team isn’t going to get value for anything. don’t waste your hope.

175. Clarence Oveur says:

rickithebear,

And every bit as bad defensively.

It’s not about adding bigger, more physical players for the 4th line (we already have 4th liners that can hit and play that kind of game). It’s about adding sound hockey players who can carry the mail, and the Oilers (yet again) have failed to do that and wasted an asset in the process when THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO DO SO when Adam Hall has been available on waivers all season.

It’s just asinine.

176. denny33 says:

Ribs,

But I think Nashville let him go for a 6th round pick and felt the NEED to obtain Paul Gaustad as his replacement for a 1st round pick…

I don’t disagree with what you are saying – just that Nashville clearly felt he was not the answer to their need for a defensive/ face-off specialist. But we seem to think he does.

And as someone else mentioned – I am willing to bet ST was not even aware Smithson was had for a 6th rounder last year…

If Dale Tallon keeps calling us in the summer – we know why….

Again, I agree a 4th rounder is not much to get worried about. But it goes to the heart of asset management. Some GM’s turn garbage into assets.

Others casually throw them away or …let them walk out the door.

177. dessert1111 says:

KL and ST have shown they can’t do all of the above.

I guess, but if he is an upgrade on our current 4C (he may or may not be — I know nothing about the player, but I know Belanger likely hurts the team more than helps), and we are only giving up a tiny chance of getting even a fringe NHL player, is it worth getting upset over? So what if the pick was a 5th round instead? They likely see something in this player that they didn’t see in a guy like Adam Hall, and the difference between these guys is likely so minimal, it’s splitting hairs either way.

There are a million things to get mad at this management for, but this isn’t one of them imo…I prefer to look at the bright side, that at least they are doing something small without giving up much/anything to show they are taking a playoff push seriously. It’s all I really want from them at this point in the year. I would prefer if they would sell guys like Ryan Whitney, but if they don’t, it’s not a huge deal — again, it shows they are serious about not tanking, which is a nice change.

178. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“Adam Hall has been available on waivers all season”

Clarence Oveur,

Bolts GM should have been fired long before that 28th trade to get him back from Carolina. Oilers up next after Flyers.

179. Bag of Pucks says:

Bad – Slight overpay for something the Oil need (faceoff wins and hits from the 4th line)
    Good – Better than sending two 2nds to the Sabres for Regeher?

If you look hard enough, you can find some joy in the mediocrity.

180. Lois Lowe says:

I cannot understand the vitriol over Smithson. Y’all are overreacting something fierce.

181. Clarence Oveur says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

If the Oilers were looking for a 4th liner with size and faceoff ability (and they were, judging by the remarks made re: Smithson), Adam Hall was sitting there on waivers doing f*ck all and was available for f*ck all.

I don’t care if a 4th round pick is a long shot to make the NHL. It’s the idea of wasting an asset when it was absolutely unnecessary to do so.

182. Ribs says:

Ben Bishop has been told he’s been traded from OTT to TB. #tradecentre

183. Clarence Oveur says:

Lois Lowe,

Asset management.

That is all.

184. DBO says:

Bishop to Tampa. Would have been nice here.

185. bookje says:

Clarence Oveur:
    Нинтендо⁶⁴,

186. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: You do understand that Adam Hall was claimed by the Flyers who had a priority claim for him over the Oilers, right?

not the first time he was waived.

187. Clarence Oveur says:

Would’ve been nice to dump Khabibulin and bring in Bishop…but that would require shrewd tactics by Oiler management, and that’s just not in the cards.

188. wordbird says:

Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher and a 4th?

Nice add up front for OTT.

189. Gerta Rauss says:

Lois Lowe,

Vitriol and hyperbole are what we do around here.

I seem to recall that we were still in the Dekyser sweepstakes and were sitting at 49 contracts at the time that Hall was (first) on waivers.

And we’ve still got another hour or so before the deadline…maybe Jones/another body brings back a pick.

190. delooper says:

Meh, whiners are whiners. If you can’t see the point in this trade you’re blind. Smithson is better defensively than a bunch of the 4th liners the Oilers have. So its an increment. Not a very big one but it’s something. As has been mentioned previously, this is likely a future Belanger replacement.

May the best Belanger win!

191. Clarence Oveur says:

bookje,

You do understand that Adam Hall was on previously on waivers this season, prior to today, yes?

192. Bos8 says:

Any oi you consider that This player with the top end draws could make a big difference in games and thereby the playoff run?

Call a waambulance. Oh no, the dreaded fourth round pick.

The horror. It’s a small patch to straigthen and strengthen the team – as in release Smyth to wing and Lander to OKC.

I’d call it a shrewd move at very little cost, considering the stakes.

193. delooper says:

Clarence Oveur:

And you realize the Oilers likely had other priorities at the time?

194. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: and you realize the Oilers likely had other priorities at the time?

like losing and icing VDV and Smyth at center?

195. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird:
    Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher and a 4th?

Nice add up front for OTT.

still don’t understand why we didn’t move on STL to get him in the first place.

Good asset mgt. by OTT

196. delooper says:

Romulus Apotheosis: like losing and icing VDV and Smyth at center?

In a season where the Oilers go from last place to middle of the pack — a **GIANT** leap forward — you’re saying their priority is losing? You need to get outside occasionally.

Smithson’s CorsiRel is about where we’d expect it to be based on his zone start. Clearly not Boyd Gordon, but imo the club needed to address need and didn’t give up a lot.

Now, adding a blue and dumping Ryan Jones are still “to do” and of course they want their mister man PF, but Smithson addressed a need and didn’t cost a lot.

What did we expect for the 4C?

Newer Comments »