The 2013 draft seems to have sussed itself out successfully. There’s a top tier of four, followed by another three or four, and then a longer list into the late teens. Each year has it’s own personality, and this one appears to be about the four men at the top (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin & Barkov).
A year ago, Bob McKenzie’s list (at this time) remained a work in progress, with plenty of movement ahead:
- Nail Yakupov (would go #1)
- Mikhail Grigorenko (would go #12)
- Ryan Murray (would go #2)
- Filip Forsberg (would go #11)
- Matt Dumba (would go #7)
- Alex Galchenyuk (would go #3)
- Jacob Trouba (would go #9)
- Griffin Reinhart (would go #4)
- Morgan Rielly (would go #5)
- Radek Faksa (would go #13) & Teuvo Teravainen would go #18)
There was a lot of movement between the draft lottery and the draft, even in the top 10. Four of the 11 names here would slide out of the top ten, and Hampus Lindholm (#6), Derrick Pouliot (#8) and Slater Koekkoek (#10) found their way into the top tier.
This season, McKenzie’s lottery top 10 reads like this:
- Seth Jones (he’ll go 1 or 2)
- Nathan MacKinnon (he’ll go 1 or 2)
- Jonathan Drouin (long gone by the time Edmonton picks)
- Slava Barkov (he’ll be gone by 7)
- Valeri Nichushkin (even if he’s there at 7, doubtful Edmonton takes him)
- Elias Lindholm (the window opens for the Oilers)
- Sean Monahan (this is probably the target)
- Rasmus Ristolainen (Oilers rarely take D this high it was Paul Coffey)
- Nikita Zadorov (see above, although he’s mammoth and would scratch the Dylan McIlrath itch)
- Hunter Shinkaruk (I can’t see the Oilers taking him) and Darnell Nurse (another blueliner)
Terry Jones recent article had two MacT gems about the draft:
- MacT: “We’re definitely going to look at doing something with that pick. I think we’d be very receptive to moving back and picking up another pick potentially.”
- More MacT: “It’s a very deep draft in my mind. There are tons of players out there who excite me. Or possibly we could pick up somebody that could help us immediately and another pick.”
I wrote about possibilities over at Oilers Nation last night, and that’s something we should be prepared for.
The Lowdown with Lowetide at 10 this morning on Team 1260 features:
- Michael Parkatti from the Boys on the Bus. We’ll take shot differential, what’s wrong with the Oilers and the summer moves.
- Kent Simpson from the Oil Kings PBP team. Kent will set the stage for G1 of the WHL finals in Portland.
- Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun. Oilers, Oil Kings and more.
- Kelsey Moronik and Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton. We’ll talk Amway Cup, the big home win Sunday and more.
Calls have been splendid this week, keep them coming. Lowetide_ is the best way to reach me during the show and hope you can tune in.