2013 DRAFT: THE TOP 10

The 2013 draft seems to have sussed itself out successfully. There’s a top tier of four, followed by another three or four, and then a longer list into the late teens. Each year has it’s own personality, and this one appears to be about the four men at the top (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin & Barkov).

A year ago, Bob McKenzie’s list (at this time) remained a work in progress, with plenty of movement ahead:

Bob McKenzie at the draft

1. Nail Yakupov (would go #1)
  2. Mikhail Grigorenko (would go #12)
  3. Ryan Murray (would go #2)
  4. Filip Forsberg (would go #11)
  5. Matt Dumba (would go #7)
  6. Alex Galchenyuk (would go #3)
  7. Jacob Trouba (would go #9)
  8. Griffin Reinhart (would go #4)
  9. Morgan Rielly (would go #5)
  10. Radek Faksa (would go #13) & Teuvo Teravainen would go #18)

There was a lot of movement between the draft lottery and the draft, even in the top 10. Four of the 11 names here would slide out of the top ten, and Hampus Lindholm (#6), Derrick Pouliot (#8) and Slater Koekkoek (#10) found their way into the top tier.

This season, McKenzie’s lottery top 10 reads like this:

Bob McKenzie at the draft:

1. Seth Jones (he’ll go 1 or 2)
  2. Nathan MacKinnon (he’ll go 1 or 2)
  3. Jonathan Drouin (long gone by the time Edmonton picks)
  4. Slava Barkov (he’ll be gone by 7)
  5. Valeri Nichushkin (even if he’s there at 7, doubtful Edmonton takes him)
  6. Elias Lindholm (the window opens for the Oilers)
  7. Sean Monahan (this is probably the target)
  8. Rasmus Ristolainen (Oilers rarely take D this high it was Paul Coffey)
  9. Nikita Zadorov (see above, although he’s mammoth and would scratch the Dylan McIlrath itch)
  10. Hunter Shinkaruk (I can’t see the Oilers taking him) and Darnell Nurse (another blueliner)

Terry Jones recent article had two MacT gems about the draft:

• MacT: “We’re definitely going to look at doing something with that pick. I think we’d be very receptive to moving back and picking up another pick potentially.”
  • More MacT: “It’s a very deep draft in my mind. There are tons of players out there who excite me. Or possibly we could pick up somebody that could help us immediately and another pick.”

I wrote about possibilities over at Oilers Nation last night, and that’s something we should be prepared for.

fargo

The Lowdown with Lowetide at 10 this morning on Team 1260 features:

Calls have been splendid this week, keep them coming. Lowetide_ is the best way to reach me during the show and hope you can tune in.

108 Responses to "2013 DRAFT: THE TOP 10"

1. mumbai max says:

I hate the idea of moving down. Gagner plus #7 for #4 and #34? Or Hemsky plus #7 plus prospect for #4. We could even eat some Hemskly salary on this one. Love the big Finn. Please lord, let us not move down.

2. Racki says:

I wonder if the Oilers will hang on to it til their picks are gone.. maybe get someone lined up saying “if our guy is gone by then, we’ll swap” (only problem there is that the team we trade to might not want to do the trade by then either, say if their top choice is gone). Barkov would be really nice.. given how scrambled last year’s draft was.. you just never know if we’ll get him at 7. Ex. look at Filip Forsberg’s drop. Or Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley dropping big in 2010… or Dougie Hamilton dropping four spots to 9… or Tarasenko’s big drop (granted, Russians are a different story).. our Own Paajarvi, who was ranked as high as #3 on some lists (although TSN’s scout survey got this right) but we picked him at 10. Teravainen dropped from 7 on TSN’s scout survey to 18th. Anze Kopitar was the top Euro in 2005 and TSN’s survey had him at #5.. he went 11.

Anyways, you just never know. It’s not an exact science, even though the TSN scouting survey gets it pretty close most of the time. So I wouldn’t for sure say Barkov is gone by our pick. But it’s quite likely.

3. Rondo says:

If the Scouts and Polls had a completely different top 10, us fans would find a player in that list we really want. It is all based on what the scouts says or the poll says. I agree with you things do change as we get closer to the draft just like your example of Bob Mackenzie. I think fans should not put too much faith in the players they like it is so random.

Fans read articles form an opinion and soon it becomes a fact, and once it is a fact they look for articles the confirm their opinion and put a lot of weight on it. When they read negative articles on there pick they discount the info.

I’m sure you got some people mad with this statement “Valeri Nichushkin (even if he’s there at 7, doubtful Edmonton takes him)”

4. RMGS says:

Moving down from 7 given the top seven names available for lower ranked prospects makes little sense. Trading the pick along with a roster player (i.e. Hemsky) for the power forward or top two D the team covets makes more sense. It’s just that teams are unlikely to trade those types of players unless they’re underperforming and/or they’re overpaid. Hey, if the opportunity presents itself – great. But I hope MacT doesn’t let his ‘impatience’ and need to be ‘bold’ force the issue.

5. cc says:

I think Racki is right that you have to wait until the draft. If you have a couple of players lined up they could fall, never tip your hand too early. You can always line up a trade based on whether a certain guy is available or not.

I wonder if Philly would be a trading partner, if Monahan doesn’t fall til the 7th pick. I could see them wanting to get the best d prospect after Seth Jones. 7th / MPS (or someone in that range) for Philly’s 11th and Couturier or B. Schenn. Then the Oilers could get someone that they target a bit later. I think 11th is a little high for Lazar, but you never know. I hope that they would target Max Domi, the guy is small but gritty and has high end offensive ability. Do the Oilers do that deal? Do the Flyers do that deal?

6. Hammers says:

Expect McT to trade this pick but hopefully straight up for a Tyutin type D . May have to sweeten the pot if they want a pick back. so much depends on who is there when they choose . This is a must if he wants to keep Gags . . Hemsky may still be here untill next years cut off . That then leaves Magnus , Hartski , Lander or even Klefbom to trade but I doubt that will happen . #7 , Hartski & Musil for Tyutin & Columbus pick . ???

7. FrankenOil says:

I love the idea of moving down, especially in a draft with teams that have multiple firsts and seconds. This draft should be all about finding 7′s,8′s and 9′s and 10′s in the first few rounds and some long-range prospects in rounds 5-7. We don’t need any home runs, just solid doubles or triples in the first and second round to fill oput the roster. I’d be happy with any of Lazar, Horvat, or Gauthier for a 1st round C and then being able to pick up other solid bets in the first 60 picks would be fantastic.

8. FrankenOil says:

I’d be alright with this scenario:

7th OV
    for
    Salary Dump + Mid-1st Round draft pick

Get an NHL player and possibly the player the org is in love with – Lazar.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t think you can move that pick as long as that cluster of players is going to be available (Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin), not to mention the shuffling and reach picks that can happen.

I think the key things to watch for over the interim are going to be:

1) whether the big D move up the charts or if any of the teams ahead of us look like they are targeting this year’s Reinhart pick.

2) whether Calgary — feeling the pinch of not getting a higher pick and having a tendency to reach for what only they can see — doesn’t pin their hopes on Nichushkin.

I think Calgary out of the teams in the top 7 may have the most incentive to reach if they feel that Nichushkin is going to be the best player 5 years out. Feaster doesn’t seem risk averse and is going to want to sell a narrative that runs something like this: “we got the best player that everyone passed on because he’s x, y and z. We feel we’ve won the draft” and then he’ll say he would have picked him 1st overall anyway.

Prediction:

Oilers will trade down and take Lazar.

Whoever they trade with will take Nichuskin.

Nichuskin will win the Art Ross 2 times in his career.

Because Oilers.

11. Truth says:

I can’t see Monahan falling to 7. Barkov will be gone by the time the Flames pick at 6 and Monahan has the potential to be the much needed center they’ve always been looking for. Either the Oilers move up to grab one of those two centers or they should drop a few and pick up a real player.

It is Jay Feaster, however. With the 6th pick in the 2013 draft the Calgary Flames select, from the Nunavut Wolverines Junior C team…. “Well we are happy to grab him here, he was number 3 on our board of remaining players available, but he fills that need for a centerman 5-7 years down the road,” comments Feaster.

12. FPB94 says:

These guys have learned nothing: 0.

Hey we have a chance at another franchise type forward or D, let’s significantly reduce our odds to pick a WHL 2nd liner, hoping he’ll be a good 3rd liner to get another 3rd round pick to waste on a coke machine.

13. justDOit says:

Ah, the tan Cierra. One of my favorite movie cars.

14. FrankenOil says:

I think that the biggest folly is to overvalue this pick. To me, provided your scouts are doing their homework, the biggest difference between the 7th player taken and the 17th is the development time needed to be NHL ready. IN any scenario, this ais a player the Oilers do not need to rush to the NHL and should see this asset as a being 2 years away at a minimum.

I’m going to look at Centres drafted in Round 1 and start at the Oilers current position. I’m also going to exclude 2012 from the conversation, show the results of the 2009-2011 drafts and have eliminated some players who were listed as a C when drafted but are looking like wingers at the NHL level:

2011:

15: Peter Holland
    18: Louis Leblanc
    20: Jacob Josefson
    24: Marcus Johansson
    27: Phillipe Paradis
    *33: Ryan O’Reilly

I could go back further, but I don’t have the time. If this draft has 4 or 5 “elite talents,” the rest of the first round is more of about scouts doing their homework and giving proper development time and a little bit of injury luck (see Hishon, Joey). If the Oilers were to walk out of this draft with a player that has a Mark McNeil/Nick Bjusgstad ceiling (talent, not player type) along with another Centre along the lines of Zack Phillips or Brock Nelson in the late 1st round at the expense of a Monahan, I’d be all over it.

15. FrankenOil says:

FPB94,

2005: Jack Skille
    2006: Kyle Okposo
    2007: Jakub Voracek
    2008: Colin Wilson
    2009: Nazem Kadri
    2010: Jeff Skinner
    2011: Mark Scheifele
    2012: Matt Dumba

16. mumbai max says:

FrankenOil:

Are you saying you think Lazar is going to be a first line center?? That seems extremely unlikely to me. First line centers in junior, SOMETIMES end up as first line centers in the NHL, but usually as 2nd, 3rd or 4th line centers, or flipping burgers. Second line centers in the WHL usually end up as 3rd or 4th line centers, or with even a greater chance of flipping burgers. I very much doubt there are scouts that project Lazar as a 1st line center. There are 30 1st line centers in the NHL. Assuming they have 15 year careers on average, that means there are two new ones entering the league each year. That corresponds with the notion that the only way to ‘guarantee’ drafting a first line/impact center, is to take one of the first few selected in any given draft. Of course this is fun with numbers, and not statistically or factually accurate, BUT, you WILL be FAR more likely to get an impact center by moving up and drafting in the top 4 or 5, than by moving down for Lazar.No one will remember who we threw in after a few years. Just sayin.

17. FrankenOil says:

I think, reading the comments, people have to temper their expectations that we are drafting another franchise player. At best, we should hope for a very good 2nd line C at #7 who might be good enough 5 or 6 years down the road to play on the first line but not push the river himself.

18. FrankenOil says:

mumbai max,

I NEVER said anywhere in that post that Lazar was a first line C. I said a first round talent. There is a huge difference. Second, getting a first line C is not a need on this team. Getting a Kesler type player who impacts the game in other ways is probably more important – hence why I’d rather Lazar/Horvat/Gauthier over Lindholm since RNH and Lindholm sound very similar and I’d rather some difference in my top 2 centres. If you want to look at a team like St.Louis that has been built (outside of Pietrangelo) with 1st rounders drafted outside of the top-10, they are very talented but lack the top-end players we have. I want the Oilers to seriously look at the St.Louis model where they collected mid to late 1st rounders and built that team. They have their own in:Oshie, Berglund, Perron. They traded a former in Lars Eller for Halak. They also acquired two of them in Stewart and Shattenkirk from Colorado.

19. mumbai max says:

FrankenOil:

In that case why not move up if reasonably possible? When will be the next time we will be within shouting range of the franchise players? It is not possible in my opinion to have too many of them!

20. mumbai max says:

FrankenOil:
    mumbai max,

OK, I misunderstood. I can agree that 7 is not an ideal spot. So, my thesis is that from 7, given the relative proximity to the big boys, why not move up and get a franchise player one more time. Look at Pitts with two genuine 1st line centers. That is what makes them so good. Should we pass on trying to get Mckinnon or Barkov because we already have a 1st line center. I don’t think so. Movin on up!

21. Vince says:

Way too much talk in the MSM of Khabi as back-up for one more year. There’s no way he could carry the ball in the event of a 3-6 week Dubnyk injury. MacT has received a lot of goodwill from fans who probably would have preferred seeing a few interviews (at least) rather than an anointment. How would khabi on a one year deal affect that goodwill?

22. FrankenOil says:

I forgot to add Tarasenko, Schwartz and Ian Cole in that post about the Blues.

23. FrankenOil says:

mumbai max,

I’ll agree. I wouldn’t trade any roster players plus the pick. However it were a 1st + the 2nd rounders for a top-4 pick plus a 4th rounder and maybe a 6th or 7th rounder , I’d be down.

24. FrankenOil says:

I did love MAcT’s comments about looking for home runs late in the draft. I hope this mean that they are going to acquire as many 6th and 7th round picks so that they can and load up on US High School players and Europeans due to the longer time you have to sign them. Look for that 5′-10″ player who rips up his junior league but is only a 150 lbs and looks like he is going to need 4-6 of development or that European goalie playing the 2nd division putting up nice numbers but needs a lot of refinement or that Russian that always goes undrafted due to possible signability issues or that one-time sure-fire top-10 pick who has a disastrous draft year.

25. Beaker says:

I’m thinking/hoping that the whole trade down thing is a smokescreen. I’m all for being candid but I’m also always skeptical of any GM “tipping their hand” as it were.

26. Jon K says:

Based on need it is very clear that the Oilers will be looking at Lindholm or Monahan. Stauffer’s references to Monahan in recent days (yesterday I believe he discussed him in depth with an Ottawa media personality) strongly hint that he is the player the Oilers covet.

I think at this point I prefer Lindholm. In my view his statistical performance this year is superior and it really seems that his only “weakness” is a lack of ideal size. Of course, he is playing with Calle Jarnkrok, which could be boosting his production.

On the other side of things, I am personally very wary of selecting Monahan based on his resume of “does everything well but nothing great” and being the only offensive weapon on a terrible, terrible team. We often see players like this fall flat once they enter the more organized world of pro hockey (i.e. Pouliot, Trukhno). Both of those players were on awful teams in their draft eligible years but put up decent points. The problem is that both were similarly players without any strong items on their resume, didn’t have plus skating, and likely played in almost every offensive situation for their teams. I share the same concern with Monahan, though I will admit that his scouting reports seem to be significantly better than either of those players.

I guess we won’t know for some time, but I suppose that is part of the allure of following hockey prospects.

As a side note, Stauffer indicated that it is seeming very likely Carolina actually takes Nurse at 5, which I thought was interesting.

27. Racki says:

FrankenOil:

I think we don’t need a franchise player, per se. I mean, sure, that’d be awesome if we had another. But you just have to look at a guy like Brendan Morrison. Not a pretty player, but he centered Naslund and Bertuzzi to greatness. We just need a guy that brings the right skillset to the table to bring out the most in our top line wingers, allowing them to do what they do best.

I don’t feel that we need a Crosby here to get Hall or Yakupov scoring over 40. We just need a reliable two way guy who will do a good job of ensuring that we maximize the amount we get vs. the amount we give up.

28. ashley says:

Agree that Feaster might reach. He likes to roll the dice. On the other hand, the pick in 2011 of Baertchi had everyone on the draft floor nodding their heads in agreement.

Any word on how their high school 2012 pick is doing? Covering the bet?

29. Lois Lowe says:

If the Oilers are looking at Monahan, I think that their ideal is for him to be from the Jarret Stoll tree. They had similar numbers in junior, and Stoll is a perfect 2/3C that can move up to 1C in a pinch.

30. FrankenOil says:

Lois Lowe,
    Stoll was a 2nd round pick (twice). I agree that’s what the Oilers need and covet but I’d rather trade down to 10-13 and get something else and draft a player who can fill that role but may need an extra year of development over Monahan.

31. ashley says:

Looking at that 2012 list is interesting. The scouts made it quite clear that there was a talent chasm between Yakupov and the rest of the draft eligibles at the top. It still has yet to play out, but it would seem like that is going to be quite accurate.

Which makes the lottery win by the Oilers last year one of the most significant events to happen to a franchise at the draft since CHI won Patrick Kane.

32. Captain Happy says:

Some food for thought.

JC Lipon, who is currently second in WHL playoff scoring with 23 points in 15 games is an unsigned, undrafted C/RW with a mean streak who is available for free.

He had 89 points including 31 goals in the WHL regular season despite losing games when he played in the World Junior tournament.

This is the type of player that good GM’s uncover (see Chris Tanev) and turn into assets.

33. gcw_rocks says:

Trading down almost never works, and picking up an additional draft pick for trading down is even stupider than trading down and getting a second or third tier NHL player.

This kind of stupidity is why I have railed so hard against the MacT hiring. We need someone who has actually done the home work and realized trading down almost never works out in favour of the team trading down.

Let’s hope he gets lowball offers and keeps the pick, but that sounds like a man who doesn’t understand the value of the pick. A number 7 pick should be a year away from pushing for an NHL job. A pick deeper in the draft is less likely to make it, and more likely to be 2 or 3 years away. The extra pick, even further than that.

Either trade the damn pick for a real NHL player in a position of need, or keep it.

F*&^ing Oilers.

34. FrankenOil says:

Racki,

To me, if that’s what they are looking for and that’s what they believe Monahan’s ceiling is, that’s as bad as taking Moroz at 32 last year. I think MacT has learned that lesson based on his comments. The worst thing an org can do is fall in love with a player before the draft. If the Oilers list has Monahan only slightly ahead of the next group of centres (Gauthier/Horvat/Domi/Lazar) at 7 and a team behind them is offering up their 1st+something else (a second, NHL player), the prudent thing to do is trade back. We aren’t drafting to fill a hole for the 2013/2014 opening night. So whether it’s Monahan or Lindholm or Lazar or Horvat, etc, this player should be playing in junior/Europe next year. I still want a first round pick this, next year and until this team is knocking on the door for the Cup.

35. FrankenOil says:

gcw_rocks,

If anything, and I posted the recent #7 overall picks and I also posted C who were taken later in the first round, the time it takes to the NHL/make an impact in the NHL is similar. The Puliot trade down is a definite cautionary tale but, at the same time, that lays equally on the feet of the scouts (Prendergast). I think if you trade down, you are definitely putting a lot of faith in your scouts.

36. Racki says:

FrankenOil:
    Racki,

I think every team would love to live in a fantasy world where you draft elite player after elite player. Other teams survive without doing it.

In no way was I comparing Monahan to Morrison either or suggesting he isn’t a good player. I was just saying we shouldn’t need to draft 4 elite talents (in addition to our other high draft picks like Gagner/Paajarvi) in order to be a strong hockey team. Bottom line though was that I wasn’t saying Monahan is marginally better than Lazar or others.

My comments of not needing a Crosby to bring out the best in Hall/Yakupov had nothing to do with this draft. I think if we COULD acquire a top center some way (whether draft or trade) we should.. but my point was just simply that the Oilers have a solid group of bookends to work with that shouldn’t need an elite center to play with in order to be successful. They just need the right kind of player to play with to ensure they can do what they do well. My 2 cents.

37. RMGS says:

FrankenOil:

2005: Jack Skille
    2006: Kyle Okposo
    2007: Jakub Voracek
    2008: Colin Wilson
    2009: Nazem Kadri
    2010: Jeff Skinner
    2011: Mark Scheifele
    2012: Matt Dumba

So, are you advocating trading down for some mid-round pick instead of taking a very good player at 7 like most of those you’ve listed?

38. rickithebear says:

FrankenOil: FPB94, I would say go back at look at recent past drafts at players picked in the #7 slot and ask”Is this guy a franchise player or a very good player?”2005: Jack Skille2006: Kyle Okposo2007: Jakub Voracek2008: Colin Wilson2009: Nazem Kadri2010: Jeff Skinner2011: Mark Scheifele2012: Matt Dumba

this exercise is nice but you look at the 5 picks after your draft position.
    In todays media,
    you do not want your pick to look like a reach in 1st round
    or out of touch with the masses (mackenzies 60)

the classic one:
    2011:
    #7 Schiefle
    #8 Couturier
    #9 D. Hamilton
    #10 J. Brodin

Do not think you are smarter than everyone else. That is usually a bad sign.

39. FrankenOil says:

Racki,

Fair enough and I agree 100%

40. FrankenOil says:

rickithebear,

Since I’m a proponent of trading down, your list shows the truth that trading back might be better than just picking at 7.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

Soooo…MacT is receptive to a repeat of the 2003, MA Pouliot fiasco. Excellent.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

Should be an interesting draft for the Oilers. Having to actually put some thought towards things vs making one Bobo the chimp couldn’t screw up.

Magnificent or Mediocre? Take the Swede or Nurse and get off the stage

42. BlacqueJacque says:

Last time the Oilers traded down they got MAP and gave up Parise.

There is a reason everyone in this city doesn’t want them to do it again.

43. admiralmark says:

I think a lot of people are forgetting this draft is considered to be one of the deepest drafts in years. This means there are quality players deep,, But it also means the players at the top i.e. top 10 are of a higher talent level then past years top 10′s. So perhaps #7 pick would be more like a #4 pick in past years? I’m still not sold on trading this. I think Nichushkin could slide there and be the steal of the 2013 draft.

Also, whats wrong with putting a few bullets in the chamber for 2-3 years down the road? I know we want to start winning… But I think the gameplan should also be to “sustain” winning?!

44. BlacqueJacque says:

ashley,

Jankowski isn’t doing that well, but he’s always been seen as a longer-term project.

45. BlacqueJacque says:

admiralmark,

This talk of a deep draft died down in 2012, and since then there has been general disappointment with how the guys outside the top 7 are looking.

Also, keep in mind that when listening to TSN, every draft sounds great at the start of a season, and by the time the draft has started, the talking heads start going on about how “if player X was eligible for the draft this year, he could go number one”. They said that about Hall, Couturier, Larsson, Yakupov, etc.

46. Lois Lowe says:

BlacqueJacque:
    ashley,

Jankowski did worse than Jujar Khaira.

47. Bar_Qu says:

From what I have heard of Lazar, the dislike of him is irrational, or at least rational based on emotion.

I mean, if I were Edmonton and could get access to a roster player not otherwise available and a later first pick by giving up the 7th pick, then I think I do it. And if it ends up being Lazar, well, that ain’t so bad. Especially since he seems to be rising in many scouts’ estimation (and from what I remember the numbers aren’t bad, just goal heavy).

My preference is the Oilers take Monahan if available or not trade the 7th, but I don’t know if I will get all that riled up by a trade down for a roster player. And, imo, I think that is the only way MacT makes the deal.

48. FrankenOil says:

RMGS,

No, what I tried to show was that while good, they aren’t franchise players. My arguement was that if they are locked into a C in Round 1, they will get one of comparable quality in the mid-to-late 1st round. There are ALWAYS “very good players” available in the first round – especially in drafts deep in first round quality centres (like this one and 2010).

cabbiesmacker:
    Soooo…MacT is receptive to a repeat of the 2003, MA Pouliot fiasco. Excellent.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

Magnificent or Mediocre? Take the Swede or Nurse and get off the stage

Well, we can all agree that trade was terrible. However, being gunshy because of a mistake made by the prior scouting regime is unfair to the current scouting staff and all the work they put in. MacT has seen many of these players himself as he did a lot of amateur scouting. Howson, also, has a lot of intelligence on this draft from the Columbus scouts. After the Dithers regime, I welcome MacT and his bold moves. If he is going to fail, I’d rather him fail in spectacular fashion and be gone in 2 years than do nothing and let this organization die by a thousand paper cuts like Dithers.

49. Rondo says:

LT,

Corey Pronman has a strong opinion re: Valeri Nichushkin

50. asiaoil says:

We have a few options but MUST keep the cap in mind. If we assume that: Hall RNH Yak Eberle are here longterm – then we will need a couple of value contracts or entry level contracts in the top 6 (or a combination) in a couple of years. MSP fits the bill and a Euro who can stay over there for a bit would also work – so you run up to the stage and take Barkov or Nichuskin if they are there at #7. Not as sure about Lindholm and Monahan seems like a perfect Flames pick to me (that’s not a compliment).

The other option is to trade the pick for a younger 2nd line center who can be signed to a reasonable deal – and Sean Couturier seems like a perfect fit for our needs (big complimentary two way center who won’t cost $6 million).

We could also deal the pick for a dman from NYC and then put together a package to pick up Legwand from Nashville or Dubinsky from Columbus.

But as much as moving up to bag MacKinnon sounds great – we would get killed by the cap in this scenario just when we are ready to seriously contend. Same with signing Gagner – you deal him now for help on defense and bring in older, more experienced guys at #2/#3 C.

51. BlacqueJacque says:

Rondo,

Care to share it?

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On adv. stats breaking into the mainstream… One thing I thought I’d mention is that someone at the CBC is finding a way to slip it into their broadcasts and seemingly slip it past the talking heads.

In last night’s MON-OTT game (in the 2nd) they put up a graphic of “total shot attempts” and listed the following: “shots on goal” “blocked shots” and “shots that missed the net”… AKA corsi numbers.

They used it to demonstrate the dominance of MON to that point of the game.

A couple of things of note.

1. They didn’t mention Corsi or treat this like voodoo or even mention “underlying” or “advanced” stats. They just did it. Put up the graphic and discussed it briefly for what it was. I think that goes to WG’s idea of demystifying this stuff by how we talk about it…

i.e., no obscure names; and no condescension (that is, pretending this is precocious, infallible information)

2. Someone at CBC recognizes the import and informational value of this data and is finding a way to work it into their broadcasts… not quite covert ops… but close.

at any rate, a good sign.

53. denny33 says:

FrankenOil,

Of course, this 2013 draft has been deemed by most people as above average. Some say it is going to be like 2003.

In 2003 – #7 – Ryan Suter

Looks like a special draft….

54. RMGS says:

I just heard Terry Jones say on LT’s show that he believes the Oilers may trade down given they greatly covet Curtis Lazar who they feel has JORDAN-EBERLE-like potential.

55. FrankenOil says:

I think I am painting a poor picture of myself and my views on the draft. My hope is: 1)Don’t talk yourself into a player before the draft & (2)draft a centre in the first round whether it’s at 7 or 30 or wherever (3)Take the long road in developing whoever it is

56. denny33 says:

Bar_Qu,

Nothing about Lazar, or Dauphin, or Gauthier

Oilers picking 7th…

57. FrankenOil says:

RMGS,

Well, I posted this a ways back and in their draft years Eberle had 42 goals and Lazar has 38. That’s pretty damn close especially considering Lazar was playing 2nd line on his team.

58. Bar_Qu says:

denny33:
    Bar_Qu,

Nothing about Lazar, or Dauphin, or Gauthier

Oilers picking 7th…

All good second options for the big, skilled centre the Oilers covet, if Monahan is gone.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Not a big fan of trading down.

Trading the pick for an established D or C that fills a specific need…?.. maybe.

But trading a nice prospect at 7 for two lower picks that have less of a chance of becoming NHL players…I don’t understand that at all.

This org has shown time and again,they are not smarter than everyone else.

Like cabbie said above, take the best player at 7 and get the hell off the stage.

60. Hammers says:

The only way is a player for #7 . If they go 2 picks for #7 there crazy unless its with say Columbus . Our pick at # 7 and our 2nd for Columbus’s pick & there NYR 1st rd pick . I could consider that but prefer #7 for a “D” or a”C” .

61. Truth says:

The Hockey News magazine is calling this the best draft class since 2003. First round in 2003:

1 Marc-Andre Fleury (Goaltender)
    2 Eric Staal (Centre)
    3 Nathan Horton (Right Wing)
    4 Nikolai Zherdev (Right Wing)
    5 Thomas Vanek (Left Wing)
    6 Milan Michalek (Left Wing)
    7 Ryan Suter (Defence)
    8 Braydon Coburn (Defence)
    9 Dion Phaneuf (Defence)
    10 Andrei Kostitsyn (Right Wing)
    11 Jeff Carter (Centre)
    12 Hugh Jessiman (Right Wing)
    13 Dustin Brown (Right Wing)
    14 Brent Seabrook (Defence)
    15 Robert Nilsson (Right Wing)
    16 Steve Bernier (Right Wing)
    17 Zach Parise (Centre)
    18 Eric Fehr (Right Wing)
    19 Ryan Getzlaf (Centre)
    20 Brent Burns (Right wing)
    21 Mark Stuart (Defence)
    22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Centre)
    23 Ryan Kesler (Centre)
    24 Mike Richards (Centre)
    25 Anthony Stewart (Right Wing)
    26 Brian Boyle (Centre)
    27 Jeff Tambellini (Left Wing)
    28 Corey Perry (Right Wing)
    29 Patrick Eaves (Right Wing)
    30 Shawn Belle (Defence)

I think the Oilers would be happy with #7 in that draft! If they are correct about the depth of the upcoming draft matching this one, getting 2 first rounders for the price of 1 might be a worthwhile gamble. Provided they don’t select MA Pouliot again.

As per Kirk Ludeke:

From: @kluedeke29
    Sent: May 3, 2013 11:18a

“All indications are that Nichushkin will come to North America and play- he will probably play one more year in KHL.” #stockbooster

sent via web
    On Twitter: http://twitter.com/kluedeke29/status/

I really hope they don’t pass on this kid if he’s there at 7.

63. RMGS says:

FrankenOil:

I don’t know enough about Lazar and context certainly matters, but:

Eberle draft year PPG = 1.07
    Eberle draft year minus one PPG = .83

Lazar draft year PPG = .85
    Lazar draft year minus one PPG = .49

64. FrankenOil says:

RMGS,

Fair enough. I was just showing goals since if the Oilers comparison for Lazar is to a goal-scorer…

65. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    As per Kirk Ludeke:

From: @kluedeke29
    Sent: May 3, 2013 11:18a

sent via web
    On Twitter: http://twitter.com/kluedeke29/status/

I really hope they don’t pass on this kid if he’s there at 7.

Rumour has it Carolina favors Nurse so that could make things interesting.

Assuming Top 4 rated + Nurse are gone and that Calgary isn’t dumb enough (big leap I know) to pass over Monahan then your boy will be there. Nashville s/be a little gunshy of Ruskies I’d think.

Would be hilarious if it was Drouin that fell to 7 and the Oilers. Then we could all bitch about another small forward prospect until October.

I like the Swede a little more than Monahan every day because I think he has a pretty good offensive ceiling, but I’d love to see Nurse here.

66. leadfarmer says:

If they really like Lazar then trade up to get him. Do not trade down. You have a chance to draft a very exceptional player, dont pass on it for a guy who may fill your 3rd line slot in 6 years but he is a local guy so you really like him. Sure you it may work out or you might pass on Parise to get JFJ and Pouliot.

The other teams might just gift wrap a very special Russian for the oil, who will get another year of good training in a mens league and push back his ELC by a year at least helping spread out cap hits.

67. speeds says:

I would be surprised if CAR drafts a D, but if they are looking at a D I wonder if EDM looks at trading up from 7 to 5? CAR might figure that both EDM and CAL would take F’s, leaving them the D they hypothetically would have picked at 5 still available at 7, plus they’d get an extra pick (let’s say ANA’s 2nd for the sake of argument) for moving down. Meanwhile, EDM gets whichever F they prefer (among that grouping) and removes the chance that CAL picks the player they want

68. Doug McLachlan says:

In Stu we trust.

My fearless May 3rd prediction (subject to frequent subsequent revisions) is as follows:

1 Col takes S.Jones
    2 Fla takes N.McKinnon
    3 TB takes J.Drouin
    4 NSH takes S.Barkov
    5 CAR takes D.Nurse!
    6 CAL takes E.Lindholm

If the rule remains that we take the BPA, and it should, you leap on the 6’4″ Russian.

I’ve said before that I really believe that this year’s draft looks like the Jagr draft year. The only reason Nichuskin slips this far is because of his passport. Were he playing for Moose Jaw he would be in the first overall discussion and if that level of talent falls into your lap you happily pick it up and run with it.

The Oilers are NOT banking on their pick, at 7, playing this season anyway so let him spend a year (or two) in the KHL add some size to the frame and dress him in Copper and Blue when he’s ready to dominate. Unless we have legit concerns about his ability (not his availability) we ought to be taking him if available.

69. Rocknrolla says:

Doug McLachlan:
    In Stu we trust.

1 Col takes S.Jones
    2 Fla takes N.McKinnon
    3 TB takes J.Drouin
    4 NSH takes S.Barkov
    5 CAR takes D.Nurse!
    6 CAL takes E.Lindholm

I’ve said before that I really believe that this year’s draft looks like the Jagr draft year.The only reason Nichuskin slips this far is because of his passport.Were he playing for Moose Jaw he would be in the first overall discussion and if that level of talent falls into your lap you happily pick it up and run with it.

The Oilers are NOT banking on their pick, at 7, playing this season anyway so let him spend a year (or two) in the KHL add some size to the frame and dress him in Copper and Blue when he’s ready to dominate.Unless we have legit concerns about his ability (not his availability) we ought to be taking him if available.

Yes…this.

ashley:
    Looking at that 2012 list is interesting.The scouts made it quite clear that there was a talent chasm between Yakupov and the rest of the draft eligibles at the top.It still has yet to play out, but it would seem like that is going to be quite accurate.

Only because Galchenyuk and Rielly hardly played because of serious injuries. If Galchenyuk had been healthy all year, there is a pretty good chance he would b e an Oiler today.

71. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

72. hags9k says:

I wonder if Kuznetsov could be snuck out of Washington in the middle of the night.

74. Doug McLachlan says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: Good chance Carolina tries to parlay the Oil/Flames rivalry into a bidding war that closes when #5 is on the clock.

I think it was Eliotte Friedman who suggested that Nashville has already recieved calls about their pick. Given that that would be the natural spot for Barkov to fall to I could see Poille trying to get Feaster and MacT to out bid each other for this pick.

A move up makes much more sense to me than a move down but Calgary’s extra 1st rounders probably gives them the ammo to get it done. So long as Pit doesn’t meet St.L in the finals Calgary’s 6th overall and the earlier of the Pit or St.L pick for Nashville’s 4th and a 2nd rounder is a win-win for both if Nashville is looking for a Lindholm to evenually play with Filip Forsberg.

That scenario still leaves the safe Monohan or my preferred Nichuskin there at #7.

75. Doug McLachlan says:

godot10: I think Carolina is going to use that #5 pick to get Marc Staal of New York now, rather than waiting two years till he is a UFA.If they can improve their D, then can compete in their division now. They have the goaltender and the forwards, but their D is their Achilles heel right now.

If that is the case then the Rangers might be going for Nichuskin – damn.

76. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:

If they can improve their D, then can compete in their division now.They have the goaltender and the forwards, but their D is their Achilles heel right now.

Marc Staal comes with a $4m price tag though giving them 18 players signed at over $60M. Pretty tight unless somebody, Ruutu?? is leaving town.

77. Captain Obvious says:

If the Russian is on the board you take him without even thinking about it. He’s the ideal selection, not only would he be easily the best player available, but he’ll do his grooming in Russia thereby not burning a roster spot and years of ELC in Edmonton. That means he’ll come over right when Edmonton is facing a real cap crunch and he’ll be able to contribute right away. Leaving him in Russia is win-win.

This team is going to need fresh high-end talent in a couple of years and this is their last chance to get it. Trading the pick if Nichushkin is on the board would be a huge mistake. Passing on him to take a Jarret Stoll type player would be even worse.

78. oilersfan says:

i think the very real risk of drafting Nicushkin is the ELC. if he does well in Russia and is offered a contract for say $5 million per year, why come here to make $1 million? That is why Radulov is there and Kovalchuk almost stayed when the lockout ended. If I were him I would seriously consider staying for that much more money. I am happy to live in Canada, I don’t want to go to Russia to take an 80% paycut. why would he want to come here for the same? I know there is a chance when his ELC is over, he will make $5 million or more, but maybe he could make the $5 million for the duration of the ELC there, and make just as much or more there than here after the ELC expires. This is why its called the “Russian Factor” it is a serious consideration.

If he does choose to come, it may be after 2-3 years or more and the competitive side of him who wants to play in the best league in the world for less money, but if one considers money and staying home, close to friends and family, with the same culture, food language, etc, it is a serious issue for the Oilers to consider. I don’t see it as a no brainer at all. Remember , those 2-3 years he may choose to stay there eat into this nice contract Hall has and the window for the Oilers to become a high end team.

7th overall picks don’t have a very high ceiling on their ELC’s…

79. rickithebear says:

Like LT:
    the desire in any draft pick is to get a player with a long positive career.
    since the 05-06 lockout.
    I use to take my success % for each ten position block to measure the common sense of a trade.

This year i am using Schukers NHL draft chart:
    Schukers NHL draft chart analyzed each draft position (rather than my blocks of 10) and the probability of getting a long career player.
    they assigned a point value for each pick position for career length not performance.

As a result you can establish the probabilty of getting long career players.
    So from Shuckers chart .
    For the 7th (66.5%) pick you need to get the 20 ( 35.0) and 21st (33.6) pick to have the same probabilty of the same number of Man games.

The chart is not a measure of performance.
    I have not looked into that.
    Though i would think instead of games.
    You could establish a similiar chart based on production rates GPG; APG; PPG
    With the expectation being high production in the top 5-10.

I however combine the chart with Desjardins NHLE equivalency curves to establish a cieling for any given prospect both in EVG; EVP; TOTG; TOT

As a result ican look at draft value versus pick.
    1. NHLE curve cieling
    2. Scouting Report.
    3. Predicted Draft Rank and draft point.

As someone has pointed out here.
    Since the 05-06 lockout,
    I have allways thought highest pick usaully wins.

In a generational draft this is not true.
    the average success rate for picks for a normal draft
    1-10 is 75%
    11-20 45%
    21-30 30%
    31 -40 22.5%
    41-50 19.3%
    51-60 18.0%
    61-70 17.6%
    In a geneartional draft there is more high end talent
    the regression to 45% goes to around 25th pick instead of 15th pick
    and normalizes not much after that.

As an example:
    Normal Draft:
    #7(66.5%) + #37(21.3%) + #56 (18.0) =105.8%
    CBJ
    #14 (45.6%) + #19 (36.4%) + #23 (31.5%) 113.5%

In a generational year
    #14 (64.8%) + #19 (55.8%) + (48.6%) = 169.2%
    With higher production holding.

80. oilersfan says:

just checked the last 7th overall to make the nHL is Nazim Kadri in Toronto, who has a cap hit of 1.72 million , and that would include bonuses.

81. Lucinius says:

Two game suspension on Gryba; utter and complete bullshit.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius:
    Two game suspension on Gryba; utter and complete bullshit.

Blood on the Tracks = an Idiot Wind

83. FPB94 says:

Lucinius,

As in what sense?

I tought it was blindside and a pretty big charge.

84. Lucinius says:

FPB94,

You mean other than the fact there was body to body contact, first and foremost? Or the fact blind-side hits are allowed in the NHL, so long as the victim has the puck and the head is not the principal point of contact?

Watch Fraser’s break down of the hit on TSN (I usually disagree with him, but he’s actually pretty thorough on this one) and it clearly shows the head is not the principal point of contact on the hit (actually, if you watch the numerous clips of the hit; most of the damage was likely done when Eller’s head hit the ice).

I’m sorry, but the only player at fault on the Eller hit was Diaz with the horrible suicide pass.

85. FPB94 says:

Lucinius,

”Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.”

IMO he did charge Eller, and not in the intention whatsoever of actually retrieving the puck and injured him in the process. So heh.

86. Lucinius says:

FPB94,

First time I’ve actually seen someone who accused him of charging (the penalty on the play was for interference — which made zero sense whatsoever). In the clip I saw of Shanahan’s break down of the suspension he doesn’t even mention charging — just that the head was the principal point of contact (funny that he never used the camera angle showing clear body to body contact before the head gets clipped via incidental contact which is allowed).

The only people I’ve read or seen complaining about the hit in the hockey world are Montreal Canadians and Sportsnet. TSN, NBC, players and management around the league generally considered it a clean, legal hit and a number of GMs and coaches were surprised at the suspension.

Hits like that should be part of the game, imo. Don’t put your team mates up on a silver platter with a stupid suicide pass.

Also, the NHL does need to re-do equipment. A lot of the injuries going around are because of the sheer stupidity of equipment design, especially in the elbow and shoulder pads.

87. FPB94 says:

Lucinius,

Probably. I just hate when

A: A scrub takes out an actual NHL player
    B: Someone gets flattened not to get possession of the puck but just for the sake of flattening a guy.

88. Lucinius says:

FPB94,

Eh.. I don’t see how you enjoy hockey at all then. Hitting players to get them off the puck is a massive part of the game. You very rarely see a player hit a player and try to work the puck as well. Especially since you are not taught that way; you are encouraged and taught to concentrate on the body and deliver the hit, following through fully and thus disrupting the play.

But, personally, I just can’t stand when a legal hit gets a guy suspended like this and it wasn’t even the worst hit on the night (look at the hit on Penner last night; but because he got up.. not call and no suspension).

All this suspension does is teach players that you can only hit players based on a certain whimsical standard. Seriously; look at the hit on Landeskog earlier this year that gave him a concussion. How does that not get a suspension or so much as a penalty compared to the Gryba hit. There was far more contact with the head, there was an upward arm motion during the hit and Landeskog was also completely unaware of the guy coming in.

I’m sorry, but I get tired of always blaming the guy doing the hitting when there is a clear need for responsibility from the players receiving the puck, or carrying the puck to be aware of their surroundings. How can Eller not expect a hit? He’s receiving the puck in the open ice; its common hockey practice to lay the body on a guy as he receives the puck — yet he doesn’t make ANY effort to check his surroundings. None.

89. FPB94 says:

Lucinius,

That happened in like 0.1 second, he touched the puck and got whamed. You’re asking a lot out of a guy to skate, take a pass, look upward and chekc his surroundings in 1 second tops.

Anyways. Over here i see the same uproar when the OIler kids get checked and it’s often perfectly legal, people in every team get upset about it so. I’l leave it at that.

90. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    Lucinius,

Probably. I just hate when

B: Someone gets flattened not to get possession ofthe puck but just for the sake of flattening a guy.

I gather you didn’t like Scott Stevens much?

91. Lucinius says:

FPB94,

He could always look up before taking the pass like they’re taught. I’m not saying you should take a pass, look around and avoid a check. By him not being aware of his surroundings and circumstances before trying to receive the horrible, horrible pass he made a clean hit dramatically worse.

Its not really his fault. The game is fast, his team mate put him in a bad spot where he had to actively look down and away from up-ice to receive the pass. Gryba should not be punished for that either, however. It was a clean hit made worse by the pass from Diaz and the NHL living in the Dark Ages when it comes to equipment.

92. cabbiesmacker says:

oilersfan:

Jeff Skinner?

93. Lucinius says:

cabbiesmacker,

To be fair, Stevens was a head hunter. Pure and simple. A more accurate question would be the clean hits Kronwall throws out. Brutal hits that solely intend to completely remove the player from the play and the puck.

94. cabbiesmacker says:

Lucinius:
    cabbiesmacker,

I didn’t have a problem with Steven’s hits and I don’t have any with Kronwall’s or Clutterbuck’s either. Pretty tough to judge intent. Like boxing….protect yourself at all times.

Gryba’s suspension was unwarranted but Shanahan;s been a joke the whole time he’s had the position. Pretty sad. He used to be a player a fan could respect.

95. stevezie says:

FPB94,

Flattening people is, as of now, part of hockey. No blood on the ice, no suspension.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The crucial point surrounding the Eller hit IMO is to showcase once again the NHL is in the business of dispensing some version of “justice” and has little regard — despite the trappings it drapes itself in — for “jurisprudence.”

The outcome and media firestorm surrounding any given play matter far more than the actual act itself.

The only difference between the Shanahan era and its predecessor is that Shanahan has created an aura of consistency and transparency with his video releases. The actual results are the same grab-bag of confusion.

An interesting comparison to the Eller situation might be Karlson’s tendon. Legal check that results in horrific outcome.

97. leadfarmer says:

oilersfan,

Will someone explain this Russian factor and irrational fear of Russians to me because its starting to border on racist. Before I get started I am not calling anyone a racist other than Don “Canadians should be the only ones playing hockey” Cherry. Since the KHL was founded there has been only one highly profile player that was Russian that would be considered in his prime and a first line talent that has decided to play there. One. Every other very good Russian player wants to play against the best players in the world and they come play their best years in the NHL.

I know some teams complain that the players dont want to develop riding buses in the AHL but I cant fault them for not wanting to play in front of nobody in the wasteland that is oklahoma when you can play in front of a strong fanbase. Klefbom didnt want to do that, and it was ok with everyone.

Eastern Europeans and Russians are different than what most people are accustomed too. They tend to “wear their hearts on their sleeves” and tell you how they really feel instead of the Germanic and Scandinavian “stiff upper lip”.

Oh well, guess I’ll just have to wait couple more years until Yak says this rebuild isnt going so well and gets chased out of town for being too Russian.

98. leadfarmer says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

IMO one game too much. He got suspended for the result more than the action.

99. stevezie says:

The hit was not malicious, but it was imperfect. The NHL appears to be trying to turn hitting into an incredibly skillful art. It is no longer enough not to target the head, you have to avoid it. In some ways this is unfair to the hitter, but I guess knowing what we know about concussions it is understandable.
    I think Wyz said it best when he said:

“Gryba’s was not a successful hit, a hockey play gone bad. But having seen this clip three dozen times, and even after the NHL video explanation, I don’t think it warranted a suspension. I think it’s a hit every defenseman steps up to make, and a pass no defenseman should attempt if he cares one iota about his teammate’s well-being.”

100. stevezie says:

leadfarmer,

Cherry heaps praise on plenty of non-Canadian players (including Yak) and the Russian factor is best expressed by the players you haven’t heard of because they never bothered coming over. Kuznetsov is a prominent example.

101. Jordan says:

WTF happened to you people.

For years Oilers fans have been clamouring for sanity at the draft table. Maybe many of you forget the craziness of the Fraser years, the marginal Pendergast picks, or what will remain one of the worst draft floor trades in Oilers history when the Oilers gave up Jeff Carter for a bunch of scrubs.

I’m just going to say this once.

BEST. PLAYER. AVAILABLE.

For those of you clamouring for anything else… G.Y.H.O.O.Y.A.

In Stu we trust.

102. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

leadfarmer,

I don’t recall Fredrik Reinfeldt offering Landeskog $30M to stay in the SEL. Nor any risk that players will stay in the SEL for all or most of their ELC for financial reasons.

It’s purely a situational discount and it’s not even about walking away from signed contracts. A top 5 overall is probably going to be ready quickly and will sign right away. Picks below the 1st round, no real concern. Late 1st round picks the compensation is ok, so fine.

But the compensation for losing a 6-10 pick is grim, so a player could drop a few spots if bigger or more certain money in the KHL could stretch further into the ELC than the team is prepared to risk.

103. Rondo says:

8 Darnell Nurse D 6-5, 194 Left Feb. 4, 1995 Sault Ste. Marie
    9 Rasmus Ristolainen D 6-3, 196 Right Oct. 27, 1994 TPS Turku
    10 Adam Erne

104. FastOil says:

stevezie:
    FPB94,

The other pro leagues at least have the sophistication to not let the marginal players away with much.

105. russ99 says:

Seems there are two groups of elite players.

1-3: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin
    Gap
    4-6: Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan.

Then there’s Nickuskin, the Russian kid who could be the best player to come out of the draft, but he’s signed for the KHL next year and could drop like a rock despite his obvious quality.

If it plays out this way, and the top 6 go before the Oilers pick and the Russian kid drops, would another team really offer a high end package for one of the three defenseman (Nurse, Ristolainen or Zadarov) or would the Oilers be forced to choose between picking the best defenseman available or a lesser deal?

106. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:
    In Stu we trust.

1 Col takes S.Jones
    2 Fla takes N.McKinnon
    3 TB takes J.Drouin
    4 NSH takes S.Barkov
    5 CAR takes D.Nurse!
    6 CAL takes E.Lindholm

I think you have it right up to the point you suggest Calgary takes Lindholm over Nichushkin. Feaster and Weisbrod favour high-ceiling over anything else, and Nichushkin has arguably the highest ceiling.

My list has the Oilers choosing between Lindholm and Monahan.