BLASTS FROM THE PAST?

Craig MacTavish has some holes to fill this summer, and some of them are going to be expensive. Things like a top 4D and a 2line L will eat up much of the available cap space, and buying items like an improved 4line and a backup goaltender might have to be acquired via the bargain bin.

Which brings me to today’s thought: How likely are we to see former Oilers–warriors under MacT–return to the organization? There are a ton of candidates, as many of the men brought in during MacT’s time are still playing somewhere in organized hockey. Here’s a sampling:

• Raffi Torres: I don’t think he’ll cost the moon, and would be a very nice addition. Raffi’s famous for lots of reasons, but strangely being an effective hockey player isn’t one of them. MacT would certainly know what he can bring.
  • Denis Grebeshkov: Still only 29, he struggled this past season with two KHL clubs but played well as a young man under MacT (with some growing pains).
  • Patrick Thoresen: Big time player now in the KHL, MacT liked him then, maybe he likes him now.

He also coached guys like Kevin Connauton and Chris Tanev in Chicago, so maybe they’re on the radar too.

The OKC Barons face the Grand Rapids Griffins starting this weekend in the next round of the AHL playoffs.

ahl scoring

The story here (for me, anyway) is the number of prospects who are contributing to the team’s success. OKC coach Todd Nelson doesn’t give time away to prospects–as it should be–so legit prospects Taylor Fedun, Brandon Davidson, Anton Lander, Martin Marincin, Tyler Pitlick, Phil Cornet and Toni Rajala are all getting experience in a tough league and showing well.

Guys like Marincin and Lander may see NHL action next fall, guys like Rajala and Fedun are going to force the issue sooner or later, and guys like Pitlick are showing well after a long stretch of injury and ineffectiveness.

Good arrows.

stortini

Today’s Lowdown with Lowetide features:

Ten to noon on Team 1260.

62 Responses to "BLASTS FROM THE PAST?"

1. DBO says:

Thoreson has mentioned he wants to come back to the NHL. At this point is he as good as Gagner? He is better at faceoffs, and plays all specialty teams. He is definitely better in own zone (where MacT used him) and is a gritty player. If you move Gagner I wonder if Thoreson can be our #2 centre. A more defensively responsible, better at faceoff two way centre for Yak and ?. Sounds like a good fit. FYI, he is 29 and a point a game player in the KHL, with some PIM’s thrown in for good measure. ANd he is the same size as Gagner but plays bigger.

And Grebeshkov never wanted to leave when he was dealt. At 29 he is the right age, and I would expect it wouldn’t cost much. He would be an upgrade at the minimum 3 LD, so no real downside to bringing him back.

Add those two and one of Stalberg or Bickell, and this team has improved in both zones. Not world beaters, but actual players who improve our team.

2. SoxandOil says:

Big news on the twitters this morning. Sorry I’m on my phone and can’t copy paste.

Fedor Fedin (@FedFedRMNB) says Nichushkin’s contract with Dynamo has been terminated and he plans on signing a NHL contract this season.

Things just got interesting.

3. Beaker says:

SoxandOil,

REAAALLLY??? Interesting indeed.

Though until that’s confirmed more clearly I’ll be skeptical. Dude spelled his name with a Y… thought his name was with an i at the end?

SoxandOil:

Things just got interesting.

Huge

5. Beaker says:

As much as I want Nichushkin in Edmonton, if he gets drafted earlier that pushes back another talent to the #7 spot.

1-5= Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, Barkov

Means that one of lindholm/monahan is there at 7 for sure… plus anyone else the Oil are looking at.

6. Wolfie says:

In other news Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg. He’s very good in his own end. He could play 3C and higher with skill should injuries occur.

7. DeadmanWaking says:

Speaking of Raffi, here’s four small dictionary entries that visited me this morning.

Lynchpim: aka the ailings of Captain Ethan “La Goon” Moreau.

Superate: good grit

Suppuration: bad grit

On the edge: the rash before the crash.

Over the edge: the rush before the crush.

Only in hockey, maybe it’s the other way around. Perhaps that explains something about the opacity of situational awareness among many of the players.

With my midnight blues behind me, I’ve discovered another truism about life: anxiety expands to fill the space available. Suddenly I’m stupid busy and haven’t cracked a sutured spine in two weeks. No matter, MacT will do it all in a single day, so one hour over a sunny latte the morning after should fix me concerning the hunt for ready October.

[Superate: To rise above; to overtop; to cover; To outdo; to surpass; to exceed; To overcome; to conquer; To cross; to surmount; to get over; To overtake. Unfortunately, it's becoming archaic above the 49th in league play.]

8. DBO says:

If Nichushkin is able to come over, does that make him our #1 target? High end LW with size and skill. Many experts say he is a top 4 talent. So as mentioned, either he is there and it makes way more sense (also it means he plays for us next year for sure. No way he enters draft without being sure he comes to play in the NHL), or we have a shot for sure at one of the two centres. So, I wonder if this ether means our draft strategy changes or it places way more value on our pick. Regardless this, if true, is good news for the Oil.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Stalberg-Gagner-Yakupov
    Nichushin-Horc-Paajarvi
    Smyth-Thoreson-Hartikainen
    Lander-Brown

Move on of Hemsky or Gagner for help on D. Horc babysits the new kid for a while. Still no meanness in this lineup, but bigger and better skill across all lines.

9. DeadmanWaking says:

Oops. There are FIVE lights. Haven’t fixed my fonts yet on Olivia the unborn. She’s mint, but she’s no Olivetti.

10. Rondo says:

Well that changes everything if it is true, my best guess at the draft was:

Colorado- Jones

Florida – MacKinnon

TB- Drouin

Nashville – Barkov

Carolina – Lindholm

Calgary-Monahan

Edmonton- Nichushkin

Now Carolina may take Nichushkin or even Calgary

11. SoxandOil says:

If that report is true and Nich is willing and able to come over, there’s no way they trade down unless they get a first and a roster player in return.

Again say all the “elite centres” are gone by 7 Nich should be a oiler. If for some reason they feel he won’t work in Edmonton I can see Philly having a hard on for him. But the cost would have to be pretty high to let them walk away with that talent.

12. leadfarmer says:

Like I’ve been saying top Russian players want to play against the best players in the world aka in the NHL. Russians are more likely imo to like living in Edmonton than American players or Canadian players married to Americans. But 6 rings McGee knows better.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Speaking of blasts from the past… I’ll be watching how MacT handles the Omark situation.

At this point it is well into the curiosity cabinet: “can he find a way into the NHL after all these years; if so, can he find a way to stay there?”

On the big Russian… I am less convinced this will change the Oilers thinking… but it probably increases the chance:

1) someone takes him early and gives the Oil Monahan or Lindholm

2) if he’s still on the board, increases the value of the #7 pick if they trade it.

14. HallAwaits says:

Burmistrov interests me quite a bit. I wonder what it would take to pry him out of WPG? I’m sure a swap of picks this year and maybe Hemsky? Always see his name attached to the Jets. Might have to throw in another mid to late pick to make it work.

If that tweet is indeed true about Nichuskin, Edmonton should absolutely take him if he’s there.

Nichuskin / Burmistrov / Yakupov

Yes please.

15. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Is there trade value in taking on another team’s compliance buyout candidate?

Is it a realistic option?

16. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

More news on the 1st rounder that karma is bringing to Calgary (assuming they haven’t already found an intramural high school player):

…Dynamo assistant coach Harijs Vitolins told R-Sport on Wednesday it would not shock him if Nichushkin, a presumptive top-five draft pick, leaves for the NHL. The teenager is expected to appear at the NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto next week.

“Such is life,” Vitolins said. “Someone leaves the team, someone comes. We’ll see if Valeri remains in Russia or not. For Dynamo, he’s a plus.”

…Team president Arkady Rotenberg, meanwhile, refuted the $2-million rumors on Wednesday but declined to reveal Nichushkin’s salary.

“There are no crazy salaries [on Dynamo],” Rotenberg told R-Sport. “The salaries on Dynamo are pretty moderate, compared to other KHL clubs.”

17. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Some teams with assets may want to trade up, TB has expressed interest in him, I doubt Nashville will try another Russian. If he does make it to #7 , Oilers will get a few offers to trade down, unless of course they take him which they probably should given the info I have read.

Article regarding Nichushkin

18. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Rondo,

English version of that article:

…“I’ve already decided to leave for the NHL,” the 6’3”, 201-pound wing said. “I was told I could leave if I want.”

…“We agreed that they would let me go, but if something across the ocean goes wrong I will immediately go back to them,” he said. Dynamo could not immediately be reached for comment.

19. slopitch says:

LT I’m pretty sure by blast from the past you mean Toby Peterson ;)

I’ve been higher on Nichushkin then most for a while. Based on ability alone he should be 4 IMO. If I’m MacT I’d still sell the pick (at the draft where the return would be the highest). If the return is only ok, keep the pick.

20. fuzzy muppet says:

Nickushkin reportedly heading to NA according to Pronman. How much does this change the draft?!

21. fuzzy muppet says:

Well I was a bit late to the party. …I’m guessing this changes the draft and one of monahan or lindholm is there at 7.

Great news

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: unless of course they take him which they probably should given the info I have read.

I would love them to pick this guy… but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are reluctant in which case if he goes elsewhere helping us get Lindholm or Monahan, I’m a pretty happy camper all the same.

spitballing… but what does the Zharkov situation tell us?

maybe the Oil aren’t as reluctant to draft Russians (caveat: OHL) as we thought; but… buyer beware because he’s headed back to Russia?

23. cc says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
    TB Head Scout Al Murray on Nichushkin’s Feb U18 tourney, “Was maybe the most dominant performance I’ve seen at any U18 or [U20] tournament.”

I wouldn’t be suprised if T-Bay took a chance on Nichushkin even if they had to move down a couple of spots in the lineup.

24. WeridAl says:

Rondo:
    Well that changes everything if it is true, my best guess at the draft was:

Colorado- Jones

Florida – MacKinnon

TB- Drouin

Nashville – Barkov

Carolina – Lindholm

Calgary-Monahan

Edmonton- Nichushkin

Now Carolina may take Nichushkin or even Calgary

The last thing Carolina needs is another C, they are desperate for a power forward and defense. They’ll either take Valeri Nichushkin or Darnell Nurse, my bet would be Darnell Nurse. Valeri Nichushkin would be nice, but can the Oilers take a risk on a player they may not see for a couple years and a outside chance they may never see at all.

25. LMHF#1 says:

Cleveland???

In 1994 the Expos would have played the Yankees. And gotten spanked.

26. Truth says:

I’ve heard that Davidson is playing an increased role. Minus 1 it shows, but if he’s facing the tough competition that’s not too bad. Have to cheer for the guy.

I’m sort of dissapointed with the Nichushkin news. I got myself believing he would fall to the Oilers and would be a great addition. The good news is that if he does fall to 7 hopefully the Oilers will grab him, and if he doesn’t there will be a center available.

27. BlacqueJacque says:

If we get either Lindholm or Monahan at 7, I will be so happy.

If we get Nichushkin, I’ll get a bit concerned. Concerned that the teams ahead of us weren’t smart enough to draft him.

28. Truth says:

WeridAl,

The last thing the Oilers needed last year was another small winger. Especially with a potential star defenseman to go #2. Top 10 picks need to be best player available. I can’t see them passing on Barkov if he’s available.

My guess now:

Colorado – Jones

Florida – MacKinnon

Nash (trade with TB) – Drouin

TB – Nichushkin

Carolina – Barkov

Calgary – Monohan

Edmonton (or whoever trades for pick)- Lindholm

TB will be looking to draft Nichushkin but Drouin holds more value. If it was me I would hold Drouin ransom to NSH. No way NSH takes a Russian. Make them give you something to swap spots or deal with someone else. The potential to lose Nichushkin in trading back is present but the return for Drouin would be very high, IMO.

29. G Money says:

I would like to see Grebs back … his offensive game was always pretty good, and he improved a lot defensively during the MacT years.

And as the designated puck-mover on the third pairing replacing Whitney, he couldn’t be worse – he has two feet after all.

DBO:

NOOOOO!!! Don’t get me wrong, I like Thoresen and think he and MacT took way too much unjustified heat for Thoresen’s defensively responsible 10th-on-the-team ice time.

But a big problem for the Oilers the last many years is that we have too many players playing too high in the lineup. A decent 2D looks bad playing 1st pairing. A solid 4th liner will get eaten alive playing 2nd or 3rd line long term.

In fact, a championship-calibre team IMHO strives for the opposite – they play a qualified 3C as 4C and have a 4C on the farm, and magically they have “depth” if their actual 3C gets hurt.

I would be more than happy to see PT back to replace Eric “Corsi Sinkhole” Belanger as 4C, and this would no doubt be a significant improvement for the team, but PT as 2C or even 3C would be a disaster.

Wolfie:
    In other news Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg.He’s very good in his own end. He could play 3C and higher with skill should injuries occur.

OK, but *why* does he want out of Winnipeg? Because he wants to move from a non-playoff team in a freezing cold hockey-mad small market, does that mean he’s willing to consider moving to a non-playoff team in a slightly warmer slightly larger hockey-mad small market instead?

30. FrankenOil says:

Andy Sutton officially retires:

31. Rondo says:

Truth,

Col–Jones

Florida- MacKinnon

TB- Drouin/Nichushkin

Nash- Barkov/Drouin

Carolina- Nichushkin/ Barkov

Cal- Nichushkin/Monahan/ Lindholm

EDM- Nichushkin/Monahan/ Lindholm

32. commonfan14 says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons: For instance, if we traded with Tor and took Liles or Komisarek and used one of our compliance buyouts on them, who could we get in return for our trouble? Bozak?

Why would the Leafs give up any asset just to avoid having to buy a guy out? Did they suddenly get low on cash?

You’d have to target a budget team with a terrible contract weighing them down.

Not sure Tampa would be able to cover Lecavalier’s buyout, for instance.

33. jonrmcleod says:

Is Don Mattingly coaching baseball or hockey? “We gotta find a team with talent that will fight and compete like a club that doesn’t have that talent,” he said, pointing to last year’s team which led the NL West by 5 1/2 games at the end of May despite a far less-talented lineup. “I felt we got more out of our ability (last year). I don’t know about being tougher but I felt we got more out of our ability. There has to be a mixture of competitiveness. It’s not ‘Let’s put an All-Star team together and the All-Star team wins.’ It’s finding that balance of a team that has a little bit of grit and will fight you. And also having talent to go with it. All grit and no talent isn’t going to make you successful. But all talent and not grit isn’t going to get you there either.”

34. FastOil says:

If the Oilers do draft Nichushkin they will be an interesting team. Crazy good wingers, weak down the middle and on D.

If they have success maybe it’ll become the new model for team building and they’ll finally find some centre help as teams look to downgrade the middle and upgrade the wings.

35. russ99 says:

I’d have to say no on all three of Grebeshkov, Thoreson and Torres.

Torres is the easy one: He’ll make upwards of $2M at age 32, and he’s a dirty player with zero offensive skills. The only way you can call him a 2-way player is if cheap shots is one of the ways. We can do younger and better with that salary range.

Thoreson and Grebeshkov – I’m always wary of older players coming back from Europe.

Lander has to have more upside than Thoreson, and Grebeshkov wouldn’t be a bad addition at the bottom of the D depth-chart (and a #6-7 salary to go with it), but bringing in Grebs and Thoreson in lieu of fixing the gaping holes in our top-two defensive pairings and at bottom six center would be a Tambellini-like punting of the problem down the road, rather than a “bold” MacT move.

36. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’ll be the first to say I like Thor. I like the idea of a player like Thor on the fourth line… he’s not a 2C but a 4C, sure.

Here is the question:

Is he better than Arcobello?
    Is he better than Lander?

I’m ok with a fourth of Lander/Hartikainen/Rajala/Arcobello

Do we need to add Thor to that mix?

Grebs is a good Potter replacement, and a bad replacement for what Whitney was supposed to be.

37. blackadder says:

Loved the way Grebeshkov played for us in 08-09, was dissapponted when traded to Nashville for a draft pick, but he hasn’t,t exactly been lighting it up in the KHL – if he can’t provide offence in the 2nd best league in the world, it’s unlikely he can in the best. Thoreson is a more interesting player, definite upgrade to our bottom six, but I wouldn’t count on him to provide a top six option. Sign him to a one year deal and we can let Lander have another year in the minors rather than playing fourth line minutes in Edmonton. If we sign Torres, it means we’ve struck out on a lot of better 3rd line options available.

38. leadfarmer says:

russ99,

I dont think zero offensive skills is a fair representation of Torres given that he had two less points this year than Hemsky and will come at 1/3 the price. He’s a good 3rd line guy that is good for 10-15 goals a year that goes nuts at times. I wonder if he’s grown up a little.

39. leadfarmer says:

I would try Thoreson for a year. Toss him on the 4th line. Cant be worse than Lander, Belanger, VDV. but If he is send him to OKC where he would likely not report and get rid of the contract.

40. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

commonfan14: Why would the Leafs give up any asset just to avoid having to buy a guy out?Did they suddenly get low on cash?

You’d have to target a budget team with a terrible contract weighing them down.

Not sure Tampa would be able to cover Lecavalier’s buyout, for instance.

Covering Liles’ 15.5m has got to be worth something. Maybe it’s a deal where we eat a contract, trade a prospect and in return get a player who otherwise couldn’t be had for just the prospect alone.

I agree that budget teams would likely offer the best returns on such a deal. There may also be a few instances where a team needs three or more compliance buyouts (e.g., possibly Vancouver).

Using a compliance buyout as trade bait is another way to acquire some upgrades, particularly bottom six, imo.

(I would love to see Katz eat up the $45 mil left on Lecavalier’s contract just after playing hardball with the city during arena negotiations).

41. Zack says:

Truth:
    WeridAl,

The last thing the Oilers needed last year was another small winger.Especially with a potential star defenseman to go #2.Top 10 picks need to be best player available.I can’t see them passing on Barkov if he’s available.

My guess now:

Colorado – Jones

Florida – MacKinnon

Nash (trade with TB) – Drouin

TB – Nichushkin

Carolina – Barkov

Calgary – Monohan

Edmonton (or whoever trades for pick)- Lindholm

TB will be looking to draft Nichushkin but Drouin holds more value.If it was me I would hold Drouin ransom to NSH.No way NSH takes a Russian.Make them give you something to swap spots or deal with someone else.The potential to lose Nichushkin in trading back is present but the return for Drouin would be very high, IMO.

That’s how I picture things going, I can’t see Stevey Y passing up on Nichushkin and if I deal could be made with Nashville (especially knowing their history with Russian(s)) I can see Tampa pulling the trigger, especially if it’s for a young D-man which Nash seems to have an abundance of.

This is only good news for everybody it seems! As for people projecting Nurse to go in the top seven I can’t really see it, I could see Rasmus Ristolainen maybe sliding in but I doubt anyone takes Nurse over Ristolainen. I’m guessing Philly is hoping for Nurse to fall to them or Zadorov for that matter.

42. Gerta Rauss says:

Vigneault fired in Vancouver.

Great news about Nich-don’t know if that means he falls to us(or we’d take him) but a little commotion and upredictability above us is good news.

43. OilLeak says:

Gerta Rauss,

Vigneault would be a great choice for head coach for the Oilers, I wonder if MacT gives him a look?

Also, the Nichuskin news is amazing, either he still slides and the Oilers pick him up, or the odds of picking Lindholm go up. Win win.

As well, I’m definitely in favour of the Oilers looking into Torres and Thoreson, this team is in desperate need of good hockey player to fill out the third line and would be relatively inexpensive to sign.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

OilLeak,

I’d be really surprised-shocked- if Ralphy wasn’t the coach come training camp. That doesn’t make it right or anything,but coaching isn’t the problem with this team right now.

And I’d pass on the ex-Oilers…but that’s just me. Nothing against any of the players, but this org needs some fresh blood.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Ha…and now TSN has changed their headline to “sources say Vigneault to be fired”…so nothing official yet.

Maybe the Canucks will hire Patrick Roy’s brother.

46. oil709 says:

Wolfie,

Hey Guys,

I have been a long time reader but a first time poster. I am a die hard Oiler fan from Nfld. During the lockout I watched Burmistrov play with the hometown Ice Caps several times and from what I seen he can skate, win face-offs and is not afraid to hit. He seems like he could be a solid 2 way centre. Just trying to play arm-chair GM but what would everybody think of a Gagner/Petry swap for Burmistrov/Bogosian and swap 1st rounders if needed. The oilers with pick 14 could still possibly get Horvat or Lazar. Is that too much or not enough? Would this make sense for the Oilers?

47. Kris11 says:

I am operating under two beliefs, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Out of the Lindholm-Nicushkin-Monahan troika, Monahan is the least good. (But still a good prospect.)

Calgary is unlikely to select Nicushkin, (though maybe now someone else before the Oilers will pick him).

So one of Nicushkin or Lindholm has a reasonable chance of being on the board when Edmonton picks.

Unfortunately, I now see this as the most likely outcome:

1. Jones (I mean Colorado can’t resist the local kid)
    2. Drouin
    3. Mackinnon
    4. Barkov
    5. Nicushkin
    6. Lindholm (Calgary has strayed from Russians for a long time, but not Swedes, and he is everything Calgary needs right now)
    7. Monahan only on the board for the Oilers, who might trade the pick or take a Dman.

IMO, I’d prefer Monahan by a faIr bit over the Dmen, but I am for trading the pick entirely.

48. Rondo says:

Won’t be a popular move but AV was fred from Vancouver , he would be a great coach for Edmonton.

49. rickithebear says:

Doaes tippet go to VCR

50. misfit says:

Nichushkin doesn’t change anything in terms of who will be there at 7, IMO. I just don’t see anybody taking him ahead of us other than maybe Calgary (and only because Feaster has always been a complete wildcard at the draft).

It might make it more likely someone ahead of us is willing to trade down to our spot knowing that he’ll be there at #7 though.

There may be only a small distinction between the two, but not for us, because we’d still have to give up picks/players to make the trade rather than just having a more attractive player fall to our pick.

Nichushkin is trying to get himself drafted in the top 5 with his recent comments/actions. He’s hoping that a team who likes him decides the only way to get him is to trade past Nashville/Tampa Bay to do so. I don’t think he’s any less of a risky pick because of what he said, or because of his current contract status with Dynamo.

51. FastOil says:

I think Vigneault was a big part of the Dys problem especially with the extreme zone starts. I also wonder if he’s the source of the prick attitude they have. Not for me.

I hope they hire Ruff who seems suspect to me after the Worlds and despite being a popular guy has a well established record of failure.

I’m liking Ron Hainsey as a UFA pick up who should be an upgrade on Smid for 1LD. His stats seem ok and he has size although might not be enough of a banger for MacT. Not a star but should be affordable relatively.

Gunnarson as well if TO is reasonable.

Anyone know of a reason Hainsey is not a good idea?

52. asiaoil says:

Gagner, Hemsky and #7 for Burmistov, Bogosian & #14?

I would not mind Burmistov on our roster at all – seems like he could be a good emerging 2nd line two-way C

53. misfit says:

That looks much more like a Bogosian/7OV deal than a Burmistrov deal to me. In fact, I’d say Burmistrov (aka – the only player in the deal being reported as “available”) is probably the 5th most valuable asset in the proposal. Maybe 4th ahead of the #14 pick.

54. oil709 says:

misfit,

I agree for sure,

Bogosian should be the main target for the Oilers but with the reported trade demand from Burmistrov he could probably be thrown in for cheaper than other wise. I was thinking that it could fill 2 needs simultaneously for the Oilers. 1. An upgrade on D, 2. A young centre who could play more of a defensive role. The value of the players in order I would think would be Bogosian, Gagner, 7ov,14ov, Burmistrov followed by Petry. I don’t think that this deal will happen but it seems like it would make sense for both teams involved as the Oilers would upgrade D while the Jets upgrade Offense.

55. TheOtherJohn says:

LMHF#1:
    Cleveland???

In 1994 the Expos would have played the Yankees. And gotten spanked.

56. ed says:

oil709,

Wpg isn’t going to deal Bogosian, he’s seen as their best defender and the future on the right side with Trouba. You’ve got a better chance getting Enstrom or Byfuglien. Burmistrov is a good player, plays with a bit of an edge, be interesting to see him line up with Yakupov. Wpg needs someone to play with Kane, Gagner would be a good fit.

57. LMHF#1 says:

TheOtherJohn: Decidedly not true. Do not think you followed baseball all that closely in the early nineties if you believe that

The worshipping and deifying of that Expos team as time goes by is reaching epic levels of ridiculousness. Whether they would have even beat out the Braves is questionable at best. I get the romanticism and desperation, but come on…

The Yankees on the other hand were on the verge of one of the best stretches in recent major league history (along with the Braves).

58. LMHF#1 says:

OilLeak:
    Gerta Rauss,

Vigneault would be a great choice for head coach for the Oilers

If we wanted to turn our talented players into cowardly morons.

59. LMHF#1 says:

LMHF#1: I’m also teasing LT because of what he said on the show and that he said Cleveland and not NYY.

I did think it was Cleveland, isnt that strange. Anyway, the Expos won

61. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: I did think it was Cleveland, isnt that strange. Anyway, the Expos won

And Griffey hits 61? Yuck.

So thankful that didn’t happen.