Devan Dubnyk represents a high water mark for the Oilers in terms of drafting goaltenders. Only Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog rank ahead of him in GP by an Oiler draft pick.
Devan Dubnyk 10-11
- Boxcars: 35gp, 2.71
- SP: .916
- WLT: 12-13-8
- SP behind starter: Dubnyk was 26 points clear of the veteran
Devan Dubnyk 11-12
- Boxcars: 42gp, 2.67
- SP: .914
- WLT: 20-20-3
- SP behind starter: Dubnyk was the starter, 4 clear of NK
Devan Dubnyk 12-13
- Boxcars: 38gp, 2.57
- SP: .920
- WLT: 14-16-6
- SP behind starter: Dubnyk was the starter, 3 behind NK
ALL TIME GP LIST FOR OILER DRAFTS (GOALIES)
- Grant Fuhr 868
- Andy Moog 713
- Devan Dubnyk 139
- Jussi Markkanen 128
- Jeff Deslauriers 62
- What do these numbers tell us? He’s a pretty good NHL goalie. I’d put him 14-18 among NHL starting G’s.
- Man, the Oilers have sucked drafting goalies since Moog and Fuhr. Yeah, although Dubnyk will have a career barring injury.
- MacT isn’t impressed. Actually, MacT has chosen his words carefully and I think that shows he does like him. DD isn’t a top level goalie, but there’s still room for him to move up the ladder. I don’t think there’s any harm in wanting more from your young players.
- He’s not young. Still developing. Goalies are funny.
- Funny how? You know, just…funny.
- No I’m seri—haha, we could do that all day. He’s subpar at EV SP. 20th among regulars, .922. Overall, he was tied for 14th at .920. I think we can be fairly certain he’s in the ‘average’ range, and that’s good enough for now.
- For now? If Dubnyk tops out at #14G among league starters that’s not going to be an issue until he loses a playoff series.
- Can he be better? I assume so, what I don’t know about goalies is a helluva lot.
- Can he be luckier? Yeah, I think so. He had some weird GA this season, some real strange stuff.
- Is that what MacT saw? Hell I don’t know. MacT said something about if you have to ask, which is kind of old timey lingo for I know what I know and the book is closed.
- Is he GONE? How the hell would I know?
- Luongo! Dammit they’re trading for Luongo! Oh settle down.
- Why this song? I think it’s about survival, and survival in a tough part of the city. Things are happening and most of it isn’t any good, and maybe you’re going to be successful but you and Jeff Deslauriers were about even three years ago and maybe you’ll be about even three years from now. It’s a helluva way to make a living, really.
- What do you mean? How many goalies are there in the established hockey world in one season? Say 70 in the NHL, double it for the AHL and then add another 50 in the ECHL. Let’s say there are 100 more in Europe who at least one scout could see grabbing a NA job. So, that’s 300 goalies trying for 30 starting NHL jobs and every year there’s so much movement your head is spinning. And maybe you signed a two year deal a year ago and maybe the GM said ‘congrats’ and maybe you thought it was a pretty good year. But now there’s a new boss and the paper says he thinks you’re a work in progress.
- Huh. Yeah.