FOR THE TURNSTILES

If Craig MacTavish plans to build up the middle–and let’s face it the wings are strong–then a very good place to start is his old position–center ice. Led by teenage phenom Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the position of center has quality, no depth and certainly room for an upgrade.

CENTER

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  2. Sam Gagner
  3. Shawn Horcoff
  4. Eric Belanger
  5. Anton Lander
  6. Andrew Miller
  7. Travis Ewanyk

My friend Louise (Ice_Dragoon from hfboards days) is a great person to talk to about the Oilers. She’s smart, remembers everything and her mind works in a way that brings all kinds of loose bits together into a legit idea or thought. One example: MacT and centermen. He always had a guy who could win faceoffs, or he was always turning a winger into a center, there was always something going on. Another example: Louise said to me the other day (something like) “Stu MacGregor is a guy you have to listen carefully to, for what he says and doesn’t say.” What DIDN’T Stu MacGregor say last week? Elias Lindholm.

Anyway, continuing with the MacT center idea (and with Tyler Dellow’s excellent work on the Gagner-Hemsky line in mind), I wonder if the Oilers might add a center AND keep Gagner in the Hemsky slot on RW? We’ve been talking about adding Boyd Gordon-types on the 4line, but what if they add that player AND Martin Hanzal? That would mean the C depth chart goes Nuge-Hanzal-Horcoff-Gordon, with Gagner on the RW or at center depending on the night.

Anyway, it’s a thought.

Belanger’s gone, one way or another.

LEFT WING

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Magnus Paajarvi
  3. Ryan Smyth
  4. Teemu Hartikainen
  5. Toni Rajala
  6. Phil Cornet
  7. Ryan Martindale
  8. Kristians Pelss
  9. Curtis Hamilton
  10. Kale Kessy

I don’t mind this group at all, but do expect the Stalberg or the Bickell or whomever to drop in and move Paajarvi, Smyth and Hartikainen down the depth chart. I have Rajala at five, but the Oilers may add a coke machine for the 14th forward (I’m not certain what happens with Mike Brown). Anyway, Hall’s at the top of the list and that sets the tone.

RIGHT WING

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. Nail Yakupov
  3. Ales Hemsky
  4. Mike Brown
  5. Mark Arcobello
  6. Tyler Pitlick
  7. Antti Tyrvainen
  8. Cameron Abney

I think they’ll end up with Yakupov on the 2line, but if Gagner moves over to RW maybe Yak is on the left side. Hemsky (it pains me to say this) is going to need a miracle to stay, the die is cast. Brown I’m not sure of, and of couse Arcobello (and maybe Hartikainen or Rajala) might get some looks at this position.

LEFT DEFENSE

1. Ladislav Smid
  2. Nick Schultz
  3. Oscar Klefbom
  4. Theo Peckham
  5. Martin Marincin
  6. Brandon Davidson
  7. David Musil
  8. Martin Gernat

If you’re trying to pull out and pass other NHL teams, this would be a nice place to start. Add someone at the top of the pile (let’s say it is Fedor Tyutin) and then things fall into place. Klefbom can replace Nick Schultz at the deadline or next season, and Marincin can force his way onto the roster in fall 2014. Peckham is out on mile 14 trying to hitch hike back to town. Man, that’s a big old doghouse he’s in.

RIGHT DEFENSE

1. Jeff Petry
  2. Justin Schultz
  3. Corey Potter
  4. Taylor Fedun
  5. Colten Teubert
  6. Alex Plante

I actually like this group, although another depth blue wouldn’t go a-miss. Petry and Schultz should be a nice RH-side top 4D for years to come. If the Oilers acquired Weber, one imagines Petry would be part of the package. Oilers don’t have a young stud RH D developing, but Klefbom (iirc) can play over here.

GOAL

1. Devan Dubnyk
  2. Olivier Roy
  3. Tyler Bunz
  4. Frans Tuohimaa

We know they’re going to upgrade, I bet they’ll draft one in the second round and add one via trade/free agency. I think the Riemer item in Toronto serves as a nice reminder that the more famous goalies–the expensive ones–aren’t necessarily better. They need a good backup, though.

So, that means the shopping list might be:

• Martin Hanzal
  • Boyd Gordon
  • Viktor Stalberg
  • Fedor Tyutin
  • backup goalie
  • Elias Lindholm

Interesting days ahead.

shine box

This morning at 10 on Team 1260, it’s the Lowdown with Lowetide. Scheduled to appear:

I’m hopeful you tune in and ask questions/give your input. There will be two open line segments (20 to the hour both times)  and of course you can reach me on twitter @Lowetide_ or text to 101260.

48 Responses to "FOR THE TURNSTILES"

1. slopitch says:

Man Hanzal has a great contract. I doubt a the Coyotes would move a contract like that. Its impressive how CBJ were able to move Methot from a position of strength last year and seem to be able to do that again this year. Hemsky could have a nice year playing with Gaborik.

I think your list. It is reasonable and provides upgrades in every position – especially Tytuin over Whitney. The more I think about it, the more I want the Oilers to keep their pick. The cap is going down and and players will be available this summer without moving it. They will need to fill spots from within over the coming years where they are hopefully icing a competitive roster.

2. TheOtherJohn says:

Tyutin & Hanzal would be great additions. Like both players a lot. But what pieces do we use to get them. Unless CBJ or PHX have cap issues and have to move a contract, we have to give up something to get something. Not sure Hemsky, our first rounder this year gets us into serious discussions re those two players

No difficulty moving Gagner to wing

I have no clue how everyone has concluded Klefbom is NHL ready. None. Pretty sure Oilers have concluded that. Just unaware of the facts that support that conclusion. It was not off of his 11 SEL games last year. It was not off of playing 60% of the SEL games (33) the year after he was drafted. In 64 SEL games over 3 separate seasons he has 3 goals and 4 assists. And was injured most of last year. So his résumé to be given an NHL slot given to him is he had a heckuva WJC. The other all star D man at the WJC was Brandon Gormley who spent this full year in the AHL.

Nor was it because he’s just like Jonas Brodin, because he isn’t. Or at least the coaches of their SEL team did not think they were alike. In their 17 & 18 year old years (draft & subsequent year) Brodin played 91 games plus 14 playoff games. Klefbom played 56 gms with zero playoff games. From that data Brodin was a regular D man dressing all games as a 17 yr old plus full playoffs and Klefbom was the 7th D man dressing 23 times. In their 18 year old season Brodin played 49 games Klefbom played in 33 gms.

Not saying Klefbom may not be capable of top 4 minutes on real good teams. I fully expect e will be. Just not at this point. Expect there is pressure for any draft pick outside of 1st overall to crack the roster. It has been very slow to happen.

3. Hammers says:

Like Tyutin but Gags would need to go or that price point plus say Schultz . I wouldn’t be surprised to see a big deal with Columbus also including a winger . Maybe our #7 for there pick included in a Package deal

4. Rondo says:

I wonder if the Oilers will use their picks for an existing player in the NHL or move up or down in the draft

#7 # 37 and #52 .

Hanzal is going nowhere. He is part of the core in Phoenix.

5. Jordan says:

TheOtherJohn,

Klefbom has had a number of different health issues since his draft day, including:

Consussions
    Thigh contusions
    Shoulder injuries

Copper & Blue’s profile of him carries a lot of the pertinent information. http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/4/4036862/oscar-klefbom-8-in-the-top-25-under-25

Part of his reduced play is simply from injury – may not have anything to do with what the coach wanted.

6. Hammers says:

Again on Columbus what about Boll or could we get Dubinsky if Gags went the other way . Hell our #7 , Gags & Schultz for Dubinsky & Johnson or Tyutin and there NYR pick .

7. supernova says:

I see Columbus as a good trading partner for the oilers as well, but realistically they are a good trading partner for the entire league. They have the picks to do anything as well as the extra D man.

Aside from Columbus two teams I have felt the oilers should target are the stars and avs.

Eric Johnson and Alex goligiski. I see Matty is now writing about it in regards to the stars.

These might not be the ideal players but with D men you have to buy low and hope they improve.

I would target Eric Johnson over Jack Johnson myself, Columbus would rather have Fedor than Jack.

8. sliderule says:

I hope the oilers scouts have their eyes wide open watching OHL final.

Horvat looks like just what the doctor ordered for a second line center.

Six foot and over200 lbs and solid on skates.

Takes face-offs on penalty kill and stands in front of net on PP play.Tough guy.

In the game on sports net showed nice speed to score a shorty on a breakaway with a nice hands finish

9. misfit says:

Any reason why you think Colorado would consider moving Erik Johnson? I don’t see any, myself.

10. misfit says:

I like Horvat a lot as well. Maybe it’s the fact that he plays for the Knights, but he reminds me of Dave Bolland.

11. RexLibris says:

I’ve been wondering about targeting the Devils in a trade. They lose their first either this year or next, and I wonder if the Oilers could offer their 2014 first round pick for Adam Henrique. He could become quite something, but based on recent history, so could that draft position.

Henrique brings size and defensive responsibility, and slots right into the age bracket, and if the Oilers take a center at #7 this year it allows for some gradual development. Henrique could play the 2nd line center position, eventually replacing Horfoff should the Oilers graduate a Lindholm or Monahan in a few years’ time.

The depth chart in two years’ time could read: Nugent-Hopkins, Monahan or Lindholm, Henrique and Lander with Khaira and Martindale coming along behind. Not bad.

12. RMGS says:

LT, why are you ok with your LW list? In the top four, only Hall is in the right spot in the line up with a work-in-progress MPS, the aging Smyth, and “non-factor” Hartikainen all playing a least one slot too high. As far as the wings go, the depth problem is on the left side, IMO.

13. supernova says:

misfit,

Here is their D-man under contract for next season (some of them beyond that)

Johnson
    Hejda
    Zanon
    Wilson
    O’ Brien
    Hunwick
    Barrie

you add in the selection of Seth Jones who will play in the NHL next year, they also have a few D in their farm system and along with the fact their wingers in the system are extremely weak aside from PA Parenteau and Landeskog.

I am not saying they have to move Johnson or even will but all the makings are there for MacT to make a deal.

14. stevezie says:

While I think it does make sense to trade Hemsky, if his trade value is lower than any of us are guessing I think it makes much more sense to keep him as a solid depth player than it does to weaken a team that can’t afford it by losing value in a trade.

15. RickDeckard says:

Speaking of Bolland, what are the odds that Chicago runs into some cap trouble and needs to move Leddy for picks, Kessel style? Good young LHD with NHL experience and good pucks skills.

16. supernova says:

RickDeckard,

not a bad idea thought, but I dont think it would happen at all.

Chicago talks quite often about learning its lesson about not having enough quality puck movers on the back-end. Leddy is almost as unatainable in Chicago as Seabrook and Keith. They will roll with those 3 for the next few years, Depending on contract and how they are playing would be even inclined to move Seabrook before Leddy.

Hjalmarsson will be the first to go aside from the pending UFA’s.

17. misfit says:

Compliance buyouts on Olesz and Montador would give the Blackhawks almost $6M in cap space for next year. They’d be $7M under the cap with only Leddy and a backup goalie to sign. No need to trade guys like Bolland, Leddy, or even Hjalmarsson.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

Surprised to see you opine that the wings are strong LT. After Hall LW is a pretty barren place. 56 and 91 are 3-4′s at best right now.

Team needs a solid 2LW in a big way, and some lesser additions would probably be a good plan as well.

19. misfit says:

Yeah, this team definitely needs one more LW for the 2/3 line. I’m fine with Paajarvi as either the 2nd or 3rd line LW. 3rd line would be ideal simply because we’d be adding a better player, but I really don’t have a problem with him being on the 2nd line.

20. VOR says:

Misfit,

Are you saying the Blackhawks aren’t resigning Bickell, Stralberg, Rozival, Krueger, and Handzus?

21. RickDeckard says:

misfit,

Good points I still think a Kessel type trade is what is needed, accelerating the rebuild. Other targets would be Fowler (tough year and Anaheims internal cap) and McDonagh (rags making changes, losing some picks in the nash and clowe trades, stepan and co. getting raises).

22. VanOil says:

For the forwards I think the two places we could add too are Center and Left wing.

Of course the prevailing wisdom is that adding size is also important. We all live in dread that this size won’t have skill.

My favorite acquisition target addresses all these needs. I like him better than more well known and higher paid Lucic type players.

Shawn Matthias from the Florida Panthers. He is 25 years old 6’4″ 225lbs Center/Left wing currently making $900k but a pending RFA. His numbers last season were 48 14-7-21.

For those seen him good stats hated here (for good reason) his Heart is best seen here in the hustle goals of the year: http://youtu.be/JnZHeRHXBNM

His Poise is best seen by his coach trusting him in the last minutes of the games.

He is basically the complete package of what the Oilers are looking for. Which is why the Oilers were rumored to be interested in him in the Winter. Of course Dithers Dithered and we ended up with Smithson.

Why do I think he is available? Rumours and the fact Florida are stacked at Center. Currently they have Jonathan Huberdeau and could add Mackinnon. The also have Weiss, Goc, Mueller and Shore. I think due to there budget concerns they will only sign one of UFA Weiss and RFA Matthias. I think the Oilers should make a strong push for this player.

A Matthias-Gagner-Yak line instantly makes our top 6 bigger (they would average over 6′ 200lbs), shutting up the TV pundits and be more defensively sound allowing Gagner to be Gagner and Yak to be Yak.

Also pushing Paajarvi to the third line would instantly make our bottom 6 better. A win win for a player that will not cost the world to acquire or break the cap structure.

23. supernova says:

misfit:
    Compliance buyouts on Olesz and Montador would give the Blackhawks almost $6M in cap space for next year.They’d be $7M under the cap with only Leddy and a backup goalie to sign.No need to trade guys like Bolland, Leddy, or even Hjalmarsson.

I didnt say they would be dealing Hjarmalsson now, I said he would be the likely first to go.

Hawks have a ton of upcoming depth at FWD in the minors and juniors. They also have to budget for the resigning of Kane and Toews, which will be really interesting. If those two want Getzlaf and Perry contracts, or if they take less.

This off-season will be very interesting.

I think the Oil might be better off, by knocking on doors and listening rather than trying to blow the other teams away with offers.

24. supernova says:

RickDeckard:
    misfit,

Good pointsI still think a Kessel type trade is what is needed, accelerating the rebuild. Other targets would be Fowler (tough year and Anaheims internal cap) and McDonagh (rags making changes, losing some picks in the nash and clowe trades, stepan and co. getting raises).

Agree with you on Fowler.

How soon do the Rangers trade Staal to Carolina? it seems that is inevitable, they might not do anything with their D until they figure that out.

25. cabbiesmacker says:

supernova:

Actually no they don’t. By the time Toews and Kane are ready to renegotiate ( 2 seasons left on existing), the cap will be up considerably.

The RFA’s and UFA’s at the end of this season are where the Hawks are vulnerable and they could solve most of that problem by unloading a high contract or two, i.e. Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, Bolland

26. cabbiesmacker says:

misfit:

You’ve forgotten Kruger, Bickell, and Stalberg

27. jake70 says:

Uggh…Hall might get benched for a while….offensive blue-line giveaway……results in breakaway goal against.

28. supernova says:

cabbiesmacker,

Disagree,

If the cap goes up so does what they can ask for.

Add in Saad’s contract as well as Leddy and Bolland for whatever they re-sign him for and like I said it will be interesting.

I didnt say they were in cap peril, I said they will have to budget correctly to keep their window wide open and long.

They ran into cap issues with their last cup run, they will be very disciplined this time

29. Gerta Rauss says:

Gregor had some quotes from Stu yesterday in the Journal, on Nichushkin:

MacGregor said rumours he has an out-clause after the first year are incorrect.

“The only way he can get out of that contract is if he bought his way out of it,” MacGregor said.

Nichushkin’s rights were recently traded from Chelyabinsk Traktor to Moscow Dynamo for a reported $3 million US.

“When a player is under contract in the KHL, it’s a factor (drafting him). It’s something that has to be considered, but it’s not insurmountable. You have to determine exactly the timeline of when the player wants to come over, if he wants to come over, and his commitment to actually coming over,” said MacGregor.

He also had comments on Monahan, Barkov, and Nurse. No comments on Lindholm, I’m not sure if Gregor asked him or not.

I’d be thrilled with Lindholm..he’s my target in the top 7.

30. misfit says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Bickell and Stalberg walk in the offseason, and how much is Kruger realistically going to make? Or even Leddy for that matter?

Say Leddy gets $4M, and they spend $1M on a backup goalie, they can give Kruger $1M and still bring Roszival back as well.

Anyway, my point is that the Blackhawks have other options to reduce salary before they start having to look at trading away key pieces off their roster.

31. cabbiesmacker says:

supernova:
    cabbiesmacker,

Disagree,

If the cap goes up so does what they can ask for.

I didnt say they were in cap peril,I said they will have to budget correctly to keep their window wide open and long.

So they should worry about what “might” happen for the 15/16 season?

None of what you said makes much sense . So if the cap rises to 100M Kane and Toews can ask for 10M per? And Saad will sign for what….$3M? Big deal.

Hawks have got lots of peripherals to deal but with strong kids ready to graduate it isn’t going to matter much.

They might lose Bickell and Stalberg this summer. Hardly the end of the world.

32. cabbiesmacker says:

misfit:

Leddy won’t get 4 unless Kevin Lowe is involved Misfit. Won’t surprise me if Stalberg and Bickell are gone either and if the sun is shining right Roszival won’t be wearing a Hawks jersey next year. He stinks.

Lots of depth in the minors to cover any losses off. That’s what happens when you draft and trade properly

33. RickDeckard says:

Gerta Rauss,

I’m glad he commented on RR55. He’s tue defenceman the prospect pool needs, not a chaos lord like Gernat but he still has enough offense to be a factor and Stu clearly likes his skating.

34. Gerta Rauss says:

I had forgotten how much I hate Marc Crawford as a color analyst.

35. Gerta Rauss says:

Cabbie-

What’s your thoughts about Brian Campbell as a target for the Oilers..?

I know that contract is the butt end of jokes on the internet, but is he worth the risk for the Oilers, especially if the cost to acquire isn’t huge..?

36. cabbiesmacker says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Cabbie-

What’s your thoughts about Brian Campbell as a target for the Oilers..?

I think there’s far better options to be honest Gerta. He was second pairing, often #4 D during the 2010 cup run and I know for a fact that Bowman wasn’t in love with him. As you say that contract is horrendous so unless FLA was willing to eat close to half I’d look elsewhere.

Next to zero physicality which I think the Oilers need some of on the back end and 34 isn’t a spring chicken. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in the big requirement being a LH shot either. I’m seeing a few playing out of position during these playoffs without issues

37. Gerta Rauss says:

cabbiesmacker,

Thx-I wanted an opinion from somebody that has seen him play.

It’s difficult to get past that contract and age.

When I look at the trade targets fitting our requirements the landscape is pretty bare. I like
    Tyutin as a target but I can’t see why CBJ moves him before Wiz and JJ are shopped. Godot and others have been pimping the offer sheet route(and I like the idea)
    ,but I’m not sure you bank on that option considering how desperate we are to add a defender(s) to play on our top pair.

I like Polak out of St Louis but I’m not sure he fits the bill as a top pairing guy, and I have no idea if he’d be available.

The UFA crop is also pretty thin, and the best options of Scuderi and Hainsey hardly inspire confidence as first pairing options.

38. supernova says:

So they should worry about what “might” happen for the 15/16 season?

cabbiesmacker,

None of what I said makes sense?

Really, maybe that’s because you are reading parts of what I wrote and parts of others.

Of course they need to plan for 15/16 well ahead of time two seasons is pretty normal when you have big contracts to re-sign when you also re-sign them a year ahead. These are franchise altering types of deals and why would you not plan for them.

You are the one who is speculating the cap would increase significantly and that they wouldn’t have an issue, they went through that once before. With Cristobal Huet and Brian Campbell, and others and had to purge their roster because they didn’t plan far enough in advance. Dale Tallon and others misstep massively on the Versteeg and others contracts that summer and it cost him his job.

I stated that Nick Leddy would be highly unlikely to be traded and they have alot of prospects to come up and play.

I also stated this would be an interesting team to watch how they handle their “window”. I guess you didn’t read clearly what i was stating, as I think the Oilers could position themselves to take care of their players in a similar model as well as become potential players for some of the players like Bickell and Stalberg that can’t in the system.

I clearly think they will have to finesse the cap and lose a few players that they would rather not either through trade or free agency. You seem to think that they will have no real cap issues as the cap should go up to cover off any of this.

Agree to disagree sir.

I am a huge reader of the business of sports, big NFL fan and watching how teams handle cap issues is massive in the NFL, to think long term cap planning is not a big deal in the NHL is completely wrong and we are seeing teams accommodate for this. Teams have no idea what the cap will rise to so they should plan at current levels,

why is does this not make sense?

you clearly watch what the Hawks do, as do I

39. cc says:

Hammers,

Schultz is key to our defence.

40. supernova says:

CC,

I seen you were here,

thought i would ask your thoughts on who you thought should be our D targets.

with a couple requirements that you could actually see it happening from all parties.

my watch list is;

A. goligski
    E. Johnson
    one of the Ranger D other than Staal (probably destined for Carolina)
    Cam Fowler
    Dustin Byfuglien
    Fedor

Thoughts and maybe your list

41. commonfan14 says:

Gerta Rauss,

That was in interesting exchange between Stu and Gregor. What really caught my ear was that after Stu explained about the contract and how he’d need to buy himself out of it to come over, Gregor talked about how any team that drafted him would have to go into it knowing that they wouldn’t see him for at least 2 years.

The interesting part is that Stu didn’t say “Basically, yeah” or something like that in response, but came back quickly with “UNLESS he buys himself out of the contract.”

Sounded like it was something he’d been thinking about a lot.

42. commonfan14 says:

Lots of guys on twitter reporting that Bruins fans are absolutely killing Seguin on talk radio in Boston right now. They’re ranting that Kessel is owning him and calling for Chiarelli’s job over the trade.

43. Gerta Rauss says:

cc:
    Hammers,

Schultz is key to our defence.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume he meant Nick, not Justin.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

commonfan14,

I’m fine with Nichushkin playing 2 years in Russia-give the kid a chance to play with grown men and make pile of money..I’ve got no problem with that.

I just hope the Oilers do their homework and find out for certain that the kid would want to play in Edmonton with Yakupov. If he says yes, that’s great. We left Klefbom
    in Sweden for 2 years without much fuss(I know that’s not an apples to apples comparison, but still, leaving an 18 year old kid in another league to mature before bringing him
    to the NHL is hardly revolutionary)

My worst fear though is the Oilers get a chance to draft the Russian at 7, pass on him because they had a bad experience with Mihknov 10 years ago, and then find out
    after the fact that the kid would have been thrilled to come to Edmonton and play with Yakupov and Hall.

45. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

commonfan14,

A little early to compare to 2013 Kessel. Today they’d have to compare Seguin + Hamilton + Knight to a 21 year old Kessel.

46. Hammers says:

cc,

Nick Schultz needs to go and is no Key

47. commonfan14 says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

For sure. It’s just highly amusing for all the TO media guys to hear people rage against the trade from the other side.

48. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Lowetide just a couple issues with your shopping list.

Martin Hanzal has 5 years at 3.1 a year on a team that has to retain and add salary for next year.

Boyd Gordon – signing a player with lower back issues and hasn’t played a full NHL season is exactly what I would expect K.Lowe to do.

Viktor Stalberg – seem incredible unlikely given Chicago isn’t in bad cap trouble, with compliance buyouts there going to need Stalberg back.

Fedor Tyutin – signed for 4.5 per with a NTC chances are he wont come to Edmonton willingly.

IMO the only time these players see Edmonton is when they play them.