JUSTIN SCHULTZ RE 12-13: BACKSTREETS

Along with the #1 overall picks, this era of Oiler procurement will be best remembered for the incredible: a real live impact defense prospect deciding to join the Oilers department of youth for an adventure. I still don’t think it’s hit us. (photo courtesy of Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved).

Justin Schultz 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.96 (2nd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.06 (1st among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughes faced among regular D (2nd pairing)
  • Qual Team: best available teammates among regular D (1st pairing)
  • Corsi Rel: -1.2 (4th best among regular D) (-12.19 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 48.1% (2nd easiest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 49.5% (3rd best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 85/9.41% (best among F’s>30 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48, 8-19-27
  • Plus Minus: -17 on a team that was -15
  1. What do these numbers tell us? This is an outstanding talent (age 22) who should have a long and productive career. His puck handling ability is all world, his offensive creativity is off the map. He is a sublime talent.
  2. That plus minus is ugly. In his first 19 games in the NHL, Schultz was 5-7-12, -4. In his final 29, he was 3-12-15 -13. I think chaos entered his game in a big way when he began to flag. That was a very long season, hell it ended for him late this week!
  3. How was he at the WHC’s? 8, 0-4-4 +1 he played well from all reports.
  4. His numbers weren’t very good. Have you been drinking? Offensively, Schultz ranked in a tie for 12th among defensemen in points, tied for 8th among blue in goals, tied for 7th in powerplay points among defenseman and he played 21:26 a night. As a rookie!
  5. He didn’t get a Calder nomination. Yes, quite.
  6. What happened? I told you above, he ran out of gas. Jonathan Willis tells the story early and late.
  7. He sure did well in OKC. Did well here too, until the bottom fell out. The Oilers didn’t have enough depth because Ryan Whitney couldn’t play the big minutes so it fell to Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz to do all the work.
  8. What happened? Second time you’ve asked. Playing NHL defense when everything is right is hard enough, playing on an empty tank must be a very difficult thing to do. Schultz played big minutes all year long (21:26 a night in Edmonton, my bet is much more in OKC) and remained healthy and from this angle there’s been a lot of try.
  9. What’s the best thing you can say about him? Justin Schultz is the best young puck moving defenseman to land in Edmonton in 32 years.
  10. Wow! Really? I believe so, yes. Those are ROOKIE numbers above, if he’d played 82 games at the same level the numbers would have been more impressive–he might have pushed 50 points.
  11. What’s the record for points by an Oiler rookie defenseman? Listed below, he would have blown the doors off Gilbert’s total given 82 games.
  12. Is he going to struggle with the defense? I don’t think he’ll ever be a shutdown defender, but he should be able to play regular top 4 EV minutes.
  13. How did he do defensively last season? The Vollman Player Chart is below.
  14. Good lord, what’s that? Well, I’m no expert but it looks like Ralph Krueger trusted two guys a lot, two other guys some, and then may have shut his eyes when the other three were on the ice. The good news is Schultz was in the second pairing, and his Corsi Rel was close to even par.
  15. As a rookie. As a rookie.
  16. What would you like to see for next season? Ideally the Oilers add a veteran LH defender (say Tyutin) and give him the mentor role to young Schultz. People are tired of Mark Streit’s being mentioned but I’d like him fine. Even better, if the Oilers could find a way to place him on the third pairing–that would be music! Third pair evens, first unit PP.
  17. Speaking of music, why this song? It’s a coming of age song that begins with a tremendous bond of friendship (I don’t know if Terry is male or female) and commitment to it, and is the closest thing I can find to Schultz’s unusual and touching commitment to a future that is not promised. It’s also the best of Springsteen’s brilliant “overlooked” songs along with another one that’s coming later.
  18. Based on this season, how good could Schultz be? He could be a cornerstone for this franchise for a decade on defense. An absolute piss cutter. I think the chaos at the end of the season has clouded the enthusiasm, but he’s a brilliant player surrounded by young men of similar quality. Justin Schultz was a gift, we’re just going to have to get used to the blessing and just how much he’s going to impact the future.

EDMONTON OILERS ROOKIE SCORING, DEFENSEMAN

1. Tom Gilbert (07-08) 82gp, 13-20-33
  2. Paul Coffey (80-81) 74gp, 9-23-32
  3. Randy Gregg (82-83) 80gp, 6-22-28
  4. Justin Schultz (12-13) 48gp, 8-19-27
  5. Marc-Andre Bergeron (03-04) 54gp, 9-17-26
  6. Steve Smith (85-86) 55gp, 4-20-24
  7. Dan McGillis (96-97) 73gp, 6-16-22
  8. Kevin Lowe (79-80) 64gp, 2-19-21
  9. Tom Poti (98-99) 73gp, 5-16-21

2012-13 vollman oilers d

59 Responses to "JUSTIN SCHULTZ RE 12-13: BACKSTREETS"

Shultz is manna from heaven.

He’s the ultimate “do-over” for all the misses that are piling up in the Oiler’s 2nd-3rd round draft record (where many NHL regular Dmen are drafted)

I’m usually the first guy to deride anyone looking at drafting records with 20/20 hindsight, its just too easy and too unfair to do.

You always hear that NAS was brilliant for taking Weber at 49th, but they fail to mention NAS took Glazachev at 35 and Kline at 37 in the same draft.

There’s too much luck involved in development to sling mud too hard…….unless the roll of the dice keeps coming up snake eyes year after year, then you have to look at who’s throwing them.

If we go by the rule that you cannot judge a draft until you are 5 years out (a good rule) then we are a ways from proclaiming anything up until 2008 draft.

Aside: Petry is a good example of the 5 year rule. Drafted in the 2nd round in 2006, didn’t make the Oilers line up full time until 2011.

Oiler’s had no 2nd rounders in 2007, but had 3 1st rounders neither Plante nor Nash are full time NHL’ers, but Nash may do it next year for CAR.

2008 has no 2nd or 3rd rounders.

2009 has Lander, Hesketh and Abney in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Lander may make it yet, but Hesketh is out of hockey and Abney has trouble getting a regular shift in the ECHL (perhaps the biggest waste of two highish picks in the last 10 years on the Oilers)

So along comes Shultz and give the Oiler’s organization a do over for 2007-2009 2nd-3rd round and drops right in their lap.

Manna from heaven.

That would be great.

I’m still longing for the day that Oiler rookies get broken in using soft minutes instead of throwing them in the deep end and giving older, worse, failing players the softer minutes.

Shultz is also the reason the Oilers shouldn’t chase Yandle.

Shultz is Yandle.

Yandle is 1PP D who plays 3rd pair 5v5. Offensive specialist.

You can’t have two of them as they cost a lot and can’t play the tougher minutes, so spending money on two is a waste of cap space.

I think we’re about to see a paradigm shift with MacT. Among the things he said about and relating to the draft at the end of the season:

1. “We’re definitely going to look at doing something with that (7th) pick. I think we’d be very receptive to moving back and picking up another pick potentially,” said MacTavish.
    2. “It’s a very deep draft in my mind. There are tons of players out there who excite me. Or possibly we could pick up somebody that could help us immediately and another pick.”
    3. “We want more toughness, more meat and more depth in our lineup,” he said.

bob McKenzie:
    “They may use the pick, but they may try and parlay it into something immediate.”

Then Stu MacGregor said this:
    Things are different [under MacTavish than they were under Tambellini]. Mac has a theory you need lots of skill and that you need skill to be able to make plays, but he also is saying ‘we need the passion of players to be able to compete’ which is something that we’ve tried to find. He believes that we’ve got to get a little bit bigger; these aren’t things that people would be surprised by. Mac has his theories and his ideas of what needs to be done; he followed us a lot during the season, I think he knows us pretty well. This is his first year-end meeting that he’s sat in on. He’s given us some ideas of things that he likes and wants. Part of that is discussion with us, myself and him and also within the group, just kind of the way he sees the world. Every GM sees things a little bit differently, and he works a little bit from a coaching standpoint in that guys have to be able to think, players have to be able to figure out what the coach is showing and teaching. He makes us think, and make sure that we’re trying to find those types of players that have that hockey sense and understanding of systems, playing within a group, being able to adapt to circumstances and things like that.

What does it mean? Big players sure, but guys who can play. That tells me if Brad Marchand and Kirill Tulupov are available, you take the hockey player.

Now, that’s my reading. We wait.

Zadorov scored a goal last night btw. Radar on? Suspect so, but they just don’t take blue that high.

LT,

I agree with you that MacT will push the drafting in a different direction, especially in rounds 2-3.

Unfortunately, it will be 4-5 years before we see the fruits of it.

Also,

With the cap going down, many of the cap strung teams will not want salary coming back in any deal, or at the least minimal salary.

Katz has always stated that he’ll spend to the cap.

When management by neglect was the order, there was no reason to spend lots.

Now that the window is open with the kids, and “Impatient” MacT and “Expect the Unexpected” Lowe are at the tillers, it could get wild.

This team is about to be re-made.

5. LMHF#1 says:

If Schultz can add the Joni Pitkanen puck-separation move in the defensive zone, he’s capable of being a #1 for a long time. I only saw it from him in a couple games but it could be in there somewhere.

Still miss Joni. Between that puck separation check and the ability to flip it perfectly to the edge of the opposition zone every time…he was just a couple seasons too early…and too late.

6. leadfarmer says:

Given the skills of this pro scouting department I am expecting “Impatient MacT” to become “Disaster” MacT.

7. leadfarmer says:

This team definitely needs more draft picks, especially outside of the first round given how well they have done drafting in the second round.

Given how many picks they have had in the last few years and how packed the pipeline will be in the AHL going forward, they should really think about combining picks to move up and not down.

SPECULATION:

Perhaps MacT is the kind of GM to take a run at grabbing Weber as he said that is was Pronger that took the Oilers to the Cup final and he may try to re-create that.

Perhaps Katz is the kind of owner who would back door $10MM or so to principles of Predators Holdings LLC to make the deal work for them

Perhaps Poile looks at his team that has a nice cluster at 20-23 and decides to move Weber and others to add to the young core with an eye to peaking from 2015-2020.

Perhaps the Oilers will spend to the cap next year.

leadfarmer:

I think MacT is impatient on the pro side, but understand the amateur side well enough to stop them from drafting Hesketh, Abney and other low percentage players in favor of higher percentage players.

Woodguy: ing “Impatient MacT” to become “Disaster” MacT.

Say the Oilers deal #7 overall and Oscar Klefbom to NAS for #4 overall, with future considerations on both sides. Then the other shoe drops later in the summer. Maybe the other shoe is Next year’s #1 and then something else very large (not going to speculate about who it might be) and the Oilers then feature Weber-Petry-J Schultz as RH D with Streit-Smid-???? on LH blue.

I think they’d have to flush Nick Schultz to shoehorn Weber and Streit, but that’s fine by me.

11. leadfarmer says:

I like Weber but the cost of picking him up would be insane to the point that it would gut this team’s depth. Nash wouldnt let him go for 4 first rounders and now that they paid him almost 30 million they will want even more. They will have 29 teams trying to pick him up and the cost would be something along the lines of at least 1 and probably 2 of the 4 wonder kids. AKA not worth it.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

We’ve been busy searching for that LH puck moving D we haven’t talked much about the right side.

Schultz on the 3rd pair and 2pp would be ideal.

I like Roman Polak out of St Louis. Something around Hemsky for Polak might be do-able. St Lou has big bodies throughout the lineup, they could use a creative playmaker that skates well. Even if we have to eat some of Hemsky’s salary to sweeten the deal it would be worth it.

Hemsky at $5m may not be attractive to a lot of teams. Hemsky at $3.25M should get you something you can plug into this lineup.

Lowetide: I think Weber is a good candidate for the Oilers this summer. Although they’d have to wait for the actual Weber portion of the deal, they could frame the front end at the draft.

I think NAS takes a C at #4, its right in their wheel house and those types of C’s are rarely available.

Since Weber’s RH NAS probably wants at least Petry coming back.

I can see Pety, Yak and something else good (next year’s #1, or EDM takes who NAS wants them to take at #7 and the deal gets done when its been a year since Weber signed) for Weber.

Gerta Rauss,

Schultz on the 3rd pair and 2pp would be ideal.

Why not 1PP?

He’s pretty good at it.

15. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy:
    Gerta Rauss,

Schultz on the 3rd pair and 2pp would be ideal.

Why not 1PP?

He’s pretty good at it.

That’s a fat finger on my part-Schultz can play 1pp on my team anytime.

16. Professor Q says:

Not really relevant to Justin Schultz, but that Jordan Eberle-Kevin Wheeler commercial is pretty freakin’ hilarious

17. steveb12344 says:

Woodguy,

“Its years like this that the 7th and Paajarvi might get you Lucic if you are inclined to a add a LW who makes $6MM/yr”

If this means Hall, MPS, and this years first, for Lucic. I would have to politely decline.

Really if MacT does move one of the Fab 5, I would have to think Hall, Nuge and JSchultz, would be pretty safe. Hall is the face of the Franchise, and will be the next Captain. Nuge is No. 1 C, and only one at that position. Ditto for Schultz, just D instead of C.

That leaves Yak, and Eberle. It seems Yak is the easy one out, as he is not really part of the emerging Oiler “Bratpack” of young Canadian talents.

I really cringe at the thought of losing Yak. If they do, it sure as hell better be worth it. That kid will win the “Rocket Richard” one (at least) day. The thought of it being with another team makes me a sad panda. :(

18. jonrmcleod says:

LT, I think you should be nicer to your alter ego. One of these days he’s going to quit doing these discussions.

19. supernova says:

Woodguy stated it properly we were blessed with manna from heaven.

The hockey gods finally shined the light on us.

jonrmcleod:

lol. I’ll have a chat with him, make sure he’s fine. :-)

21. supernova says:

I think the oilers should be targeting Eric Johnson and one other D, someone like a niskanen or a Paul Martin

I think all of those players are achievable and it lets us keep our core and our picks.

22. Ribs says:

Tom Gilbert (07-08) 82gp, 13-20-33
    Paul Coffey (80-81) 74gp, 9-23-32
    Randy Gregg (82-83) 80gp, 6-22-28
    Justin Schultz (12-13) 48gp, 8-19-27
    Marc-Andre Bergeron (03-04) 54gp, 9-17-26
    Steve Smith (85-86) 55gp, 4-20-24
    Dan McGillis (96-97) 73gp, 6-16-22
    Kevin Lowe (79-80) 64gp, 2-19-21
    Tom Poti (98-99) 73gp, 5-16-21

Wow. I didn’t really think about how close he was to Gilbert/Coffey. He would have shattered those numbers!

23. Rondo says:

LT,

Did you watch London last night?

I only watched 1 period, I thought Zadorov looked ordinary. I was expecting more speed and toughness. I know only 1 period.

Any thoughts if you watched

Rondo:

LT,

Did you watch London last night?

I only watched 1 period, I thoughtZadorov looked ordinary. I was expecting more speed and toughness.I know only 1 period.

Any thoughts if you watched

Taped the game, watched late night. Scored a nice goal, he seems more mobile than your average giant. I think I wish the Rangers picked ahead of us, but maybe Feaster will take him.

25. speeds says:

For anyone interested, here are some thoughts on Nichushkin and the 7th overall pick:

26. Rondo says:

Nashville do like their Swedes maybe they are thinking of Lindholm and would trade down.

# 7 spot maybe to far down for Nashville

27. vesci says:

Duchesne and Eberle looked good together at the WC. How about something bold like Eberle and the 7th for O’Reilly and the 1st? Oilers then take Jones with 1st and have a real good bigger #2 centre in O’Reilly. This may also free the Oilers to move Gagner for another piece or keep him and buy out Horcoff to open up cap room to make more moves.

No Hall.

Paajarvi + 7th overall.

BOS gets massive cap relief and a LW who can play today in the top 9 at under $2MM/yr plus a good prospect who doesn’t have to make the team for 3 years.

Oilers get a whale.

I don’t think Lucic is worth $6MM/yr, but MacT might.

29. speeds says:

That seems like a ton Woodguy, not sure I would trade either the 7th or Paajarvi for Lucic, nevermind both.

30. vesci says:

vesci,

I realize that there is an issue with the timing of being able to trade for O’Reilly given when he was signed but this is the type of win win deal that the Oilers should be looking to make. The Avs don’t need over 15MM tied up in 3 centres next year and could still get a good Defenceman at #7.

31. jp says:

5×4 points per 60: 5.06 (1st among regular D)

That 5X4 number is 10th among NHL D depending how you filter the players (1.5 min/game and 20+ GP). If you up the cutoffs to 2 min/game and 30+ games Schultz is 7th. As a rookie! Elite.

Tied for 8th overall in rookie goals and 4th in rookie points too. Agreed he’ll be capable of playing top 4 defense at evens. Pretty nice to get your best defenseman (soon enough) for free.

Woodguy:

“I think that June/July 2013 will be the most important time period in this version of the Oilers.
    This team is about to be re-made.”

“Couple that with the fact that no one loved Pronger more than MacT and we could see some whale hunting up front and on D.”

“Perhaps the Oilers will spend to the cap next year.”

Full agreement with each of those points. The next few months will be a huge time for the Oilers. So many possibilities about how things might play out.

Whale hunting for Weber is a definite possibility. I just hope Yak doesn’t end up going the other way.

I’d be very surprised if the Oil don’t spend close to the cap next season. Pretty tough to overhaul half of the team without spending a fair chunk of change.

Exciting times all around!

32. vesci says:

Woodguy,

I don’t mind PRV and the 7th for Lucic provided you have a deal worked out to move Hemsky’s dollars . If not you probably lose too much in cap flexibility to do much else.

33. speeds says:

We heard rumors about Grebeshkov awhile ago (or what was rumored to be Grebeshkov, based on Stauffer’s hints), prior to MacT becoming the GM. Anyone specifically remember MacT’s thoughts on Grebeshkov back when he coached him?

speeds:
    That seems like a ton Woodguy, not sure Iwould trade either the 7th or Paajarvi for Lucic, nevermind both.

I would probably trade one of them for Lucic if he didn’t make $6MM/yr

I bet I’m not far off the price if he does move.

I wouldn’t pay it though.

speeds:
    We heard rumors about Grebeshkov awhile ago (or what was rumored to be Grebeshkov, based on Stauffer’s hints), prior to MacT becoming the GM.Anyone specifically remember MacT’s thoughts on Grebeshkov back when he coached him?

In 08/09 Grebs was 4th among D in 5v5 TOI/gm behind Vis, Gilbert and Souray.

Seemed to like him fine.

I have heard he’s a Grebs fan as well.

36. speeds says:

vesci:
    vesci,

It will be interesting to see what happens with Stastny this summer, if COL trades him while he still has a year left on his deal. I’m not sure EDM would be willing to pay what it would take to land Stastny, but is it possible they look at some sort of deal based on Horcoff + something for Stastny?

Stastny only costs 400K less for next season than Horcoff would for the next 2 seasons in real money, and COL wouldn’t much care about the cap IF they aren’t going to spend to the cap anyways.

Horcoff’s NMC ends this summer, and converts to a NTC, so he’d either have to waive it or COL would have to be a team on his list, no idea how likely that might be. And I’m not sure how much interest COL would have in Horcoff, would likely depend on the rest of the package EDM would exchange for Stastny.

The issue with Grebs was going to be his arb dollars that summer. Once MacT got that tinfoil hat working, Grebs was good.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

speeds,

I was going to say the same thing-the target on Colorado is Stastny if we’re shopping for a big ticket C.

39. asiaoil says:

WAS might be inclined to make changes, Ribero is UFA, and they have a strong D – maybe a redo of the 07 draft with Gagner going for Alzner? Age is right and Alzner-Shultz would make a nice pair. Just let everyone below grow into their roles next year and one or two of Kbomb/Maracin/Musil/Gernat/Simpson will grow into something.

Smid Petry
    Alzner Shultz
    Shultz Fistric Potter

We don’t need to lose Horcoff now as he fills a role of vet mentor and can still play on a skill line. I think he would be great between Hall and Yak (someone has to play defense). You also need Horcoff for another couple of years while the center we draft #2 develops – we need the guy people – quit trading him.

We need a LW who is a LAMWS (large angry man with skill) to create some space on the 2nd line. Sure Lucic fits but the price will be too high in terms of assets and salary and I don’t give up any of the kids or the #7 to get him. You could get Penner for 50% of the price as a UFA and Kruger is one guy who I think can work with him. Hartnell is another guy but there are also cheaper if somewhat less effective options as well – and Hemsky (if we keep some salary) could be the bait in trade for somewhat skilled LW banger

As for the bottom 6 – obviously a mess – but MSP, Smyth and Brown are in the mix – and I might keep Smithson as the #5 center. So we need capable size in the form of another couple of centers and another big RW

Anyway – we’ll see what MAcT can do – he either sets up the team for longterm winning through wise moves or crushes any hopes of escaping the Atlanta Flames syndrome through bad ones. We’ll see soon enough because Taylor Hall is even less patient than MacT at this point.

40. FastOil says:

Woodguy,

“Shultz is Yandle.

Yandle is 1PP D who plays 3rd pair 5v5. Offensive specialist.

They need a tough minutes D,not more easy minute D, especially with Klefbom coming.”

I agree completely. The Oilers don’t suffer from a lack of offensive talent, it’s possession and role players that have enough ability.

MacT mentioned a left side powerplay quarterback. I hope he meant a second tier type like Whitney was supposed to be that doesn’t cost the farm and eat too much cap.

41. Gerta Rauss says:

Not OIler related but Eric Staal diagnosed with an MCL sprain-rehab only, no surgery.

Good to hear, that knee on knee looked awful.

42. VanOil says:

Following from WG’s point about 2nd and 3rd round picks is where you get NHL defensemen. I would happily trade both our 2nd round picks for Tanev a top 4 NHL defenseman right now. (Canucks Nations suggest one might do it http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/16/chris-tanevs-next-contract)

Yes, as Willis recently reported, he is not a) a giant or b) left handed but both of these are short term problems. We have very promising Left handed giants galore in the system. Tanev and a short term solution like Streit would help now, and lots more help is on the way.

A smooth skating, first pass making, Corsi (Possession), defensively responsible Stud on the back end that is 23 and has been coached by the great MacT himself. Too good to pass up. Southpawed giants are just a Slovakian or two away.

Don’t trade for Alzner. Just offer sheet him. He is a far better option than Weber, at a fraction of the price in salary and cap space, and in the talent one has to trade for him.

The Oilers don’t need Weber’s offense, because they have JSchultz. What they need is Weber’s defense, and Alzner brings that.

Alzner, McDonagh, Voynov, Leddy, Gunnarsson, Tanev.

This is or should be the summer of the young defensemen offer sheet. Pick your order and keep trying one at a time until you get one.

I wouldn’t try Pieterangelo or Shattenkirk, because St. Louis will match, and it will delay getting offer sheets to the cap strapped teams like the Capitals and Rangers and Chicago and Vancouver.

And if you offer sheet Alzner first, you drive up the price for the St. Louis pair, and that might shake one of them loose.

44. RickDeckard says:

The moment that people start talking about Lucic and Weber I tune them out. Neither one fits the Oilers right now. Gunnarson would be an excellent target, not only does he fit the Oilers current need, he screws the Leafs over.

45. art vandelay says:

The most prominent feature of Joni Pitkanen’s game isn’t puck, separation (whatever that is) but knee separation. I’ve seen less fragile characters in Tennessee Williams plays.

46. FastOil says:

My concern with Streit is according to the Ninja’s bubble charts he played pretty easy comp with a zone start push. According to BTN his top linemate was Tavares. He would bring offense but it seems unlikely he will make the team stronger defensively. Is that going to make the team better when it needs stronger 5v5 D zone play most?

A more able Smid is enough for me.

art vandelay:

My favorite Tennessee Williams line: “There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors.”

48. gd says:

asiaoil,

I agree with targeting Alzner as he would be a great fit in many ways and I think Washington is almost for sure making changes. I also think they should look at Green as he is slightly overpaid, but that should lower the trade value and his contract comes off the books when hopefully the Klefbom, Marancin group are ready for top 4 minutes. I think Green will cost less in trade assets than Yandle.

asiaoil,

I disagree that WAS has a strong D

Green, Mike $6,083,333 $6,083,333
    Carlson, John $3,966,667 $3,966,667 $3,966,667 $3,966,667 $3,966,667
    Schultz, Jeff $2,750,000
    Erskine, John $1,962,500 $1,962,500
    Alzner, Karl RFA
    Hillen, Jack $700,000 $700,000
    Oleksy, Steven $541,667 $541,667

Green still isn’t what he was, Carlson is good, Alzner is good, Olesksy is few years away from being good, Erskine, Schultz, and Hillen are nothing special.

RickDeckard:

The Oilers covet both players.

That why they are discussed.

I think most here would prefer cheaper options.

Both cheaper to acquire and cheaper on the cap.

51. FastOil says:

LA is of course a very strong, deep team. Looking at D production their group had 84 reg season points, the Oilers 71.

I think JS will even those totals next season single handedly, a 40 point season. Also that if more effective defensive help is found that the whole group will do better.

The Oilers should be focusing on those better wingers and strength at centre so they can be more effective with system play and can be better sheltering those needing it. And making sure RK’s thing isn’t goofy but I am sure MacT won’t have that.

LA is the perfect example of how having depth with enough skill trumps high individual point totals especially when playoffs start. The Oilers mostly young top 6 highest scoring forwards outpointed LA’s 200-187.

52. spoiler says:

FastOil:

1. Schultz was on pace for 46 pts this year, so 40 would be a small step back, although 40 will probably in range of LT’s RE next year

2. Doughty can eliminate any gain by Schultz by himself, by himself.

3. Defensemen scoring seems (to my eye) to have more variance than forward scoring, year to year.

53. spoiler says:

LT said:

4.His numbers weren’t very good. Have you been drinking? Offensively, Schultz ranked in a tie for 12th among defensemen in points, tied for 8th among blue in goals, tied for 7th in powerplay points among defenseman and he played 21:26 a night. As a rookie!
    5.He didn’t get a Calder nomination. Yes, quite.

Incredible that he didn’t get a nomination. Having an imbalance in the location of the members of the PHWA doesn’t make for fair awards. Exacerbated in a year with no cross conference play. Another embarrassing blight on the face of the NHL. And it might have an effect on the choices of free agents.

The fact that he was invited to the WHC–as a rookie Dman–shows what actual hockey men think of him!

LT said:

Umm, they already have one. Traded for him and everything.

With all the other changes that seem to be planned for the roster, I highly doubt that Sergeant Schulrz is going anywhere. Especially with MacT’s dressing room comment… since this guy has a rep as one of the best in the league in the room.

They have to find and obtain an improvement on Whitney before they can worry about N. Schultz.

54. RickDeckard says:

Woodguy,

I have no doubt that the Oilers covet Crosby and Chara but they never get discussed. Why? Because neither is happening. Weber is not happening. Ever. It is as pointless as discussing the return for when they trade Hall and RNH.

55. Spydyr says:

Gerta Rauss:

Good to hear, that knee on knee looked awful.

The way he went down like he was shot I expected a mcl, acl injury.Not a sprain.Low pain threshold or acting?

56. RickDeckard says:

Spydyr,

He reacted the same way his brother did to taking puck to the face. Maybe that’s just what they do?

57. Spydyr says:

RickDeckard:
    Spydyr,

Oh OK,I don’t recall that.Thanks for the heads up.Must say I’m not a big fan of it.I’m old school suck it up and get off the ice don’t wither on it like your going to die over a sprained knee.

58. RickDeckard says:

Spydyr,

It got him the 5. Shame that Canada’s PP was so pathetic in that tournament.

RickDeckard:
    Woodguy,

Except people hear things that they actually are perusing these guys.