MACT MYSTERIES VOLUME 1 (SUMMER 2013)

Based on the conversations I’m having with Oiler fans this week, Craig MacTavish has the fanbase engaged and ready for a big summer. I would suggest that we take a watchful approach and realize the enormous task at hand, and accept that casting about for solutions will no doubt bring success and failure. It has always been so; it’s also hard to keep hopes down when the General Manager keeps making so much sense.

1. Who will they take at the entry draft? MacT has made it clear they’re after a center, and I think they will end up selecting Monahan at #7 overall. I do think they’ll try to move up in an effort to get Barkov, but that the price will be too dear. I also think they’ll draft Erik Comrie and Kerby Rychel in the second round.
  2. Who will coach? Ralph Krueger. This is less a mystery now, after the MacT season ticketholder conference.
  3. How will they improve the defense? By trade, free agency and elevating prospects. I think Smid, Petry and Justin Schultz are part of the group for next year (barring trade), and would put Mark Fistric and Oscar Klefbom in ‘likely’ roles for 13-14. That leaves two spots open, and I’ll guess the Oilers sign Mark Streit and trade for another veteran like Fedor Tyutin. This would mean Nick Schultz heads out of town, and the pairings (Tyutin-J Schultz, Smid-Petry, Streit-Klefbom) would be a major upgrade. I do think MacT will be very aggressive on the blue.
  4. Will Hall move to center? No. He might end up taking faceoffs from time to time (MacT likes wide range of skill players) but C will get an overhaul over the summer, similar to the blue.
  5. Who’s leaving at C? I think we can be certain that Eric Belanger is gone, and I’m also thinking Shawn Horcoff may be offloaded.
  6. Who’s coming in? That would leave Nuge (recovering from injury,mind) and Gagner as the NHL options with Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello knocking at  the door. I think we’re going to see two center’s (at least) acquired, one a 2-way type with experience and size and the other a quality defensive player. I’ll say their names are Marcel Goc and Boyd Gordon.
  7. Who’s coming in at LW? Viktor Stalberg is such an obvious choice, all he would cost is money. There are lots of others too, and we should remember that teams will be trying to offload salary and there may be some bargains (value wise) available at LW.
  8. What about backup goalie? Anton Khudobin is the most reasonable option but who knows.
  9. What will be the big splash? I think the draft will see MacT add help on the blueline and that will be the big item. I’ve chosen Tyutin but it could be Kulikov, Del Zotto or any number of players. I do think it’ll be above the Hjalmarsson level we were discussing a year ago.
  10. How many Oilers UFA’s return? I think they sign Mark Fistric. Ryan Jones, Lennart Petrell, Jarred Smithson, Ryan Whitney and Nikolai Khabibulin are all gone this summer.

This morning at 10 on the Team 1260, Lowdown with Lowetide will hit the airwaves. Scheduled to appear:

• David Staples from the Cult of Hockey. David has been looking at the OKC Barons this winter and spring, and recently wrote about some strong seasons on the Oklahoma City Blue. I’ll also ask him about the MacT dangling conversation.
  • Guy Flaming from the Pipeiline Show. Guy was at the Memorial Cup, we’ll get a feel for the event and ask Guy if Nathan MacKinnon did enough to become #1 for 2013.
  • Lisa McRitchie from Kukla’s Korner. Lisa and I will talk about the 2013 draft, the Memorial Cup, the Barons and Oilers.
  • Corey Graham from Team 1260′s pbp team. Corey and I will discuss the draft, the 2013-14 Oil Kings and riding buses.

76 Responses to "MACT MYSTERIES VOLUME 1 (SUMMER 2013)"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

“would put Mark Fistric and Oscar Klefbom in ‘likely’ roles for 13-14”

Unless I misheard,
    At the presser MacTavish said Marincin is head of Klefbom.

Whatever, both should start the season in OKC.

Team Depth.

2. BrazilianOil says:

Do you think this rooster would put us in play off spot ?

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wow… If MacT can get anywhere near all this done he’d have to be GM of the year.

Barkov, Tyutin and Streit, Stalberg, Goc, Gordon, and Khudobin!

WEEEEEEE!!!! yes please.

Also, I read this sentence wrong and nearly fell off my chair:

“How many Oilers UFA’s return? I think they sign Mark Fistric. Ryan Jones, Lennart Petrell, Jarred Smithson, Ryan Whitney and Nikolai Khabibulin are all gone this summer.”

I read that first period as a comma. yikes!

4. jonrmcleod says:

MacTavish is acting like the anti-Tambellini–instead of downplaying expectations, he’s talking about “bold” moves. He’s also making sense when he talks about what the Oilers need in order to be a successful team. For the first time in a while, I’m genuinely hopeful about what the Oilers will do this summer.

5. oilgreg says:

WE keep hearing the names Shattenkirk & Pietrangelo from St. Louis, but my money would be Bouwmeester on a trade & sign (two-three year extension).

I don’t see St. Louis giving up one of their key young d-men, and Bouwmeester’s contract makes it difficult for them to get all of their free agents under contract. Maybe Halak is part of this deal, with Petry and assets going the other way. Berglund and Gagner could be part of this deal, giving the Oil their much needed size at centre.

6. Vaclav says:

Khudobin seems to be the goaltender many believe the Oilers should chase. But I’m wondering why no one mentions Thomas Greiss. He’s just entering his prime (26 y.o.), has put up solid numbers in a back-up role for the Sharks and may be interested in signing with an organization where he could be in a 1a/1b role with Dubnyk rather than the table scraps he’ll get in San Jose behind Niemi.

7. Hall Awaits says:

T.Hall / Nugent-Hopkins / Eberle
    Stalberg / Gagner / Yakupov
    Paajarvi / Gordon / Boyes
    Smyth / A.Hall / Hartikinan
    Brown, Arcobello

Tyutin / Schultz
    Smid / Petry
    Klefbom / Streit
    Potter

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

Of course I could be dead wrong and this is day dream stuff, but if this is even close to achievable I will jump for joy.

LT, what do you think the cost of a Tyutin will be at the draft? Is this a 3 for 1 deal you keep talking about?

8. vishcosity says:

How many blunders is MacT allowed? While he obviously isn’t going to hit multiple home runs without a single miss, I’m curious what is a tolerable rate of success. For a NY stock trader, 55% success should yield millions, but in hockey it would probably get a GM fired.

Or if he pulls the 3 for 1 does he get room to screw up two drafts?

I’m unclear when to start calling for his head.

9. Clarkenstein says:

It all starts in goal. Not going to the promised land with Dubnyk!

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Vaclav:
    Khudobin seems to be the goaltender many believe the Oilers should chase.But I’m wondering why no one mentions Thomas Greiss.He’s just entering his prime (26 y.o.), has put up solid numbers in a back-up role for the Sharks and may be interested in signing with an organization where he could be in a 1a/1b role with Dubnyk rather than the table scraps he’ll get in San Jose behind Niemi.

As with all things PHX though… it is impossible to tell how hard/easy it may be to pry players out of there.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

vishcosity:
    How many blundersis MacT allowed? While he obviously isn’t going to hit multiple home runs without a single miss, I’m curious what is a tolerable rate of success. For a NY stock trader, 55% success should yield millions, but in hockey it would probably get a GM fired.

Or if he pulls the 3 for 1 does he get room to screw up two drafts?

I’m unclear when to start calling for his head.

Probably depends a lot on the impact of the successes and failures… and mostly whether there is actual team success (say the playoffs) and whether the failures had a real or perceived impact on making/not making the playoffs.

12. gcw_rocks says:

Talk is cheap. I am keeping my expectations down until I see some actual smart moves rather than a lot of (implied) promises.

Given the tone of MacT’s comments on Dubnyk, I think he shoots for a higher bar than Khudobin. Khudobin is who they should get, but I think he will spend more assets and more cap space than that to acquire a “better” player, which most likely will be a waste. We shall see.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Clarkenstein:
    It all starts in goal. Not going to the promised land with Dubnyk!

Before making such a decisive declaration… why not wait until he’s got a team in front of him that is built to challenge for something.

Many teams have won with average to slightly above average tending.

14. Rondo says:

With the close of the junior hockey season this past weekend and in advance of the upcoming NHL Draft, ISS Hockey has named Nathan MacKinnon the #1 ranked prospect, supplanting Seth Jones

15. Beaker says:

Goaltending is way down on the list of priorities in terms of “bold moves”:

1) Defense
    2) Center
    3) Big left wing
    4) The next heir apparent to the whole “flow” regime we have going here. (I say go off the charts and go with a Hartnell or even a Brent Burns to fill this role!)
    5) Goaltending

16. fuzzy muppet says:

Just spitballing but would anyone have interest in Brad RIchards after he’s bought out by the Rangers for reasonable dollars??

THat frees them up to move Gagner for the D-man they need.

17. Lloyd B. says:

It is highly unlikely that MacT will be able to address all areas of weakness in one off-season. he is simply communicating what is very obvious. Definitely an upgrade on Tambo. This team needs help in so many areas it is hard to go wrong no matter what he does by way of trade or aquisition. He has thrown all his concerns on the table. If he can’t make all the upgrades in three months ( and I doubt he can ) then he simply can say the deals were not right, asking price to high, work in progress, etc. However, even addressing only 2 of them should pacify the masses until the trade deadline. I have to disagree with beaker. The number one area I see of concern is goaltending. Just imagine what happens to this Oiler team if DD gets hurt and is out for an extended period of time. Yikes!! Doesn’t have to be a number 1 like a Louongo ( I just puked a bit in my mouth) but be my reckoning MacT needs at least 2 if not 3. One for both Edmonton and OKC.

18. sliderule says:

The question I have is why is Stalberg getting so little ice time and a healthy scratch for one game?

Red flag?

19. Vaclav says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The other goalie I’ve seen mentioned that has appeal is Labarbera (I think JW mentioned him). He’s not in the age range of the ideal target (Bishop et al), he’s 33. But he seems a pretty reliable backup with a track record and he’s not going to cost that much…

I guess it depends whether the objective is to provide Dubnyk with a solid backup or with someone who could potentially challenge him for the starting spot. I’d prefer the latter. In the best case scenario both tenders play well which provides the organization with a tradeable asset if one of their goaltending prospects ever develops.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Vaclav: I guess it depends whether the objective is to provide Dubnyk with a solid backup or with someone who could potentially challenge him for the starting spot.I’d prefer the latter.In the best case scenario both tenders play well which provides the organization with a tradeable asset if one of their goaltending prospects ever develops.

Agreed. two young guns challenging each other is best.

but if you can’t get someone under 30… he’d be a cheap, reliable alternative. and 33 isn’t 36 and up.

21. Rondo says:

LT,

Does age come into drafting. Looking at the top 30 Barkov and MacKinnon are almost a year younger than Seth Jones.

22. knighttown says:

Redline Report has Matt Murphy sliding down the rankings. He’s a 6’1″ 200lb defenseman that played on the dominant Mooseheads team behind all of the stars. If you read the MacT comments about scouting that one shift of Klefbom’s in Sweden it makes you think of a guy like Murphy. Kelfbom retrieved the puck, escaped, made the outlet, forward turned it over so he closed the gap, forced the pass, broke up the cycle and made the outlet pass again.

I saw a bit of that from Murphy here in Halifax over the past few months. He’s a beautiful skater, especially backwards and moves around the defensive zone very well. He scored a bit (33 points in 68 games) but had no power play time behind Abeltsauser and Weegar with Frk playing the point too. I think he’ll product offense next year beside Weegar. Still some brain cramps but might be a Lydman or Oduya type of player.

23. Bar_Qu says:

Clarkenstein:
    It all starts in goal. Not going to the promised land with Dubnyk!

Not true. Howard has the Wings in the conf semi-final against the team which was supposed to waltz to the SCF. Good teams need average goaltending, That is all.

Dubnyk provides the Oilers with half of a good tandem. Emery/Khudobin/Greiss/?? would all provide a reliable 1B tender. At little cost to the org’n.

More critical is the situation on D, but there is good prospect depth which will not be able to step in soon enough, which can be used as trade fodder. Fedun comes to mind. He would help out any org’n which needs a positional D-man, who has some offensive instincts and space at their bottom pair. Edm can take cap space in exchange for a guy like him easily (or as part of the mythical 3-1).

That is where the bleeding is on this team. Not the G.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo:
    LT,

Does age come into drafting. Looking at the top 30Barkov and MacKinnonare almost a year younger than Seth Jones.

I’m guessing it matters a lot more within position rankings, i.e., because D take longer to develop and have a much wonkier path, it probably isn’t as useful to compare D to F.

Or, maybe it is an advantage to get a D further along in their development? i.e, you have a better idea of what you are going to get… but not as big an advantage in the sense that the up side is going to be limited vs. a D one year younger.

But I think a year’s difference within a position probably makes a world of difference, esp. at forward.

25. jonrmcleod says:

knighttown,

I was expecting more from Murphy–makes lots of mistakes. But he was drafted quite high in the Q draft. I’d prefer that the Oilers take a chance on Weegar if he’s available in one of the later rounds.

26. jonrmcleod says:

Bar_Qu,

I would say that Jimmy Howard is an above average goalie. On the other hand, I’d say Crawford is average.

27. sliderule says:

I see Gernat has been released from his amateur tryout contract.Oilers website.

WTF does that mean?

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    I see Gernat has been released from his amateur tryout contract.Oilers website.

WTF does that mean?

maybe he wanted to go home and start his summer feed?

29. Vaclav says:

Bar_Qu,

I’d like to see the Oilers target a defenceman from the prodigious 2008 draft. Cap space isn’t an issue for either Buffalo (Myers) or Winnipeg (Bogosian) but perhaps they could grab the Sabres attention by offering to take Ville Leino off of their hands in a deal for Myers.

30. Captain Obvious says:

Adding a goaltender is the last thing the Oilers should do. This is a team that was horrible last year at:

a) scoring goals and
    b) preventing shots

Spending either money or assets on goaltending would demonstrate a basic misunderstanding of what goes into winning and losing hockey games.

This leads to two fundamental axioms of building a hockey team.

1) If your team has a negative shot differential goaltending is irrelevant. You’re not going to win no matter what. Fix the shot differential first, then look at the goaltending.
    2) In contrast to every other position, money spent on a backup goaltender is always wasted. Only one guy can play at a time, don’t leave money on the bench.

31. Vaclav says:

Captain Obvious:
    Adding a goaltender is the last thing the Oilers should do.This is a team that was horrible last year at:

a) scoring goals and
    b) preventing shots

This leads to two fundamental axioms of building a hockey team.

1) If your team has a negative shot differential goaltending is irrelevant.You’re not going to win no matter what.Fix the shot differential first, then look at the goaltending.
    2) In contrast to every other position, money spent on a backup goaltender is always wasted.Only one guy can play at a time, don’t leave money on the bench.

Anaheim, Los Angeles and Minnesota, all playoff teams had over $7.0M committed to their goaltending tandem this season. The Oilers could offer Khudobin or Greiss $1.5-2.0M contracts and still only have $5.5M tied up in their goaltending which would be good value for them.

Clarkenstein:
    It all starts in goal. Not going to the promised land with Dubnyk!

List of Stanley Cup winning goaltenders since the lockout and where they ranked that season in terms of SV% among goalies who played at least 35 games:

Quick – LAK- 5th
    Thomas – BOS – 1st
    Niemii – CHI – 19th
    Fleury – PIT – 19th
    Osgood – DET – 16th
    Giggy – ANA – 7th
    Ward – CAR – 29th (note: Ward only started 25 games that year, Gerber started 53)

Now that Thomas and Quick won the last 2 everyone says you must have goaltending to win the cup.

MacT nailed it when he said “winning is always in fashion” or something to that effect.

Every time a new team wins the Cup, their roster make up becomes the new fashion.

I think DD is ok, but as with every position from 1C to 6D, if you have an opportunity to improve and the cost is reasonable vis a vi the level of improvement, you should do it.

33. knighttown says:

jonrmcleod:
    knighttown,

Well yeah except that Mac Weegar is no longer under the radar. Some commentators actually saying he increased his stock more then sny other player this postseason and likely will go in the 2nd or 3rd. Murphy on the other hand was highly touted but didn’t adjust as well to his role after the trade and may be a steal in those later rounds. He’ll definitely get the chance to prove it next year when he takes on the role of a top 2 damn. I like Murphy as much as Mac and he probably comes a few rounds cheaper.

34. rickithebear says:

Clarkenstein: It all starts in goal. Not going to the promised land with Dubnyk!

1. A good team prevents shots on goal. 28.7 league average
    2. All a goalie can do is stop shots.
    39 goalies were qualified by league.
    League AVG 28.7SH/gm .914 SV%
    20 were above league average in SV%

7 Faced the highest shot range 31.7-33.4Sh/gm
    Riemer .924
    Dubnyk .920 he was .923 until the trade deadline colapse
    Bishop .920
    Holtby .920
    Lehtonen .916
    Miller .915
    Scrivens .915
    I do not take any of these over DD.
    as we go on think about the D that leads to less shots/gm.

1.5-2.5 less sh/gm 5-9% less shots.
    Vokoun .919
    S. Mason .916
    None of these!

3 – 5 less shots/gm 9 to 15% less shots
    Anderson .941
    Bobrovsky .932
    Schnieder .927
    Niemi .924
    MAF .916
    No chance of trading for the first 2.
    The The next 2 have the same questions as DD with better teams.
    the last is a joke in the playoffs.

5-7 less shots/gm 15-20% less shots
    Rask .929
    Lundquist .926
    Crawford .926
    Howard .923
    Fasth .921
    none of these are available

7-9 Shot less shots 20-28% less shots
    Emery .922

This year the NJD goalies faced 22.8Sht/gm and the broduer and hedberg averaged .893 SV%.
    could you imagine NJD with an average Save % that would be 1.90GAA

6 remaining playoff teams Reg season:

Pitsburgh 28.4 SH/gm
    SJ 28.4 SH/gm
    Boston 27.9 Sh/gm
    Det 27.7 SH/gm
    Chi 25.6 SH/gm
    LA 25.0 SH/gm

What the fuck do you think happens if NJD get DD.
    I am sure they would be happy with a 1.75GAA facing 22.8 shots /gm

I would say……………..

look at the results boys!

DD has been given two chances to play under any kind of Pressure. I like his results.

35. Lloyd B. says:

Captain Obvious,

Hey Capt. I guess I should have been a little clearer. The biggest “organizational” need is goaltending. The Oilers biggest need ( if DD stays healthy ) is well documented. Just about everything except high falutin wingers. If we lose our number 1 defenceman ( itself a discouraging exercise identifying who that might be ) we can still play with the multitude of mid range defencemen we have. Not a great thought but at least we don’t drop off a cliff. If we lose one of our wingers, again we don’t drop off a cliff. If we lose one or two centremen ( sound familiar ?) we can at least bring up one of the #4 centremen in the system to cover off. Not a great thought and certainly an area that needs improvement. However, if we lose DD we are absolutely done. I’m not talking about a host of multi million $$ goalies to sit on the bench. Just servicable back ups for #2 & #3. They should be the easiest to get at a reasonable cost as there are only 30 starters in the NHL and a multitude of wannabes around the world.

36. rickithebear says:

Captain Obvious! Just read your post!

You articulated the clear understanding of a cap driven team performance!

37. Bar_Qu says:

Vaclav:
    Bar_Qu,

I’d like to see the Oilers target a defenceman from the prodigious 2008 draft.Cap space isn’t an issue for either Buffalo (Myers) or Winnipeg (Bogosian) but perhaps they could grab the Sabres attention by offering to take Ville Leino off of their hands in a deal for Myers.

38. Vaclav says:

Bar_Qu: Myers would seem to be the most available of that draft class, though Gardiner might come available if a team were willing to take salary off TO’s hands. Otherwise, all of those guys seem like young cornerstones for their respective franchises. Too bad the Oil got the wrong guy from the LAK from that group in the Penner trade.

I agree Myers is the most likely candidate to get moved from that group. Although having just paid his $12M bonus last season Buffalo (or more importantly Terry Pegula) may want to re-coup some cash somehow.

39. VOR says:

Vaclav, Bar_Qu:

You do know that the Oilers have already twice gone out and got D from the 2008 draft? While Teubert hasn’t worked out I think the second D, Justin Schultz, has shown some promise.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m just going to note how odd it is to target positional players from a specific draft year.

(not that there aren’t attractive players to be targeted from that tightly defined group).

41. slopitch says:

42. Smarmy says:

With Mac-T saying they’re thin at goalie I wonder if he might spend a second on Fucale. Kind of hope he get a cheap vet backup and lets Roy and Bunz do their thing and see if we can get a goalie out of either of them.

43. Marc says:

If you haven’t checked out the Esa Tikkanen hot dog commercial that JW just retweeted, you really should.

44. Doug McLachlan says:

I’m curious if people think there may still be something left in the tank of Stephen Weiss UFA in FLA? I suspect his advanced stats are awful but there may be gold yet to be mined.

45. Vaclav says:

VOR:
    Vaclav, Bar_Qu:

Yes I do. It was such a strong draft for d-men and from a developmental standpoint the fit with the young Oiler forwards seems perfect. This is not to say that I wouldn’t want the organization to exclude defenceman drafted in 2007 or 2009 but the quantity of quality is not the same.

46. spoiler says:

LT said…

Actually, then Bickell would be the obvious choice. While Stalberg is a LHS, he plays RW.

47. TheOtherJohn says:

Stalberg played very few minutes for Chicago in last game. Maybe Quennville does not think Stalberg is as good as we think here. big body, good skater but……

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn:

on the bright side… it probably means he’s available. If the GM is paying attention to the coach’s player usage, Bickell is staying in house and getting a raise and Stalberg is on the way out.

maybe he’s a “second look” guy?

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: maybe he wanted to go home and start his summer feed?

50. GordM says:

slopitch: Its too bad Vanek makes more then Hall. He’s prob available but I think we should have the Hall-cap

I agree with your thoughts re: “Hall Cap”. Although I’m not sure if a ‘traded for’ contract would apply given that we didn’t sign him to it. Wait…we sort of did with Kevin Lowe making the offer sheet. But Lowe is just the president, not the GM…but he acted like he is in charge at the presser because he ‘knows how to win’.

My head just exploded.

Tyler Myers is betting the rebuild on one player. Contracts can no longer be buried. Do you really want to bet the rebuild on one player? If one could still bury contracts, pursuing Myers would be a no-brainer, but then Myers wouldn’t be available, because Buffalo has a rich owner now too.

Stephen Weiss and Brad Richards are 30-somethings who are ready to or have fallen off of a cliff. Stephen Weiss is basically same age Horcoff was when he got the current 6-year contract. And Horcoff had a healthier track record. Ditto Moreau and Staios. There is little to no value-for-money in 30-something UFA’s. The vast majority of players decline fairly quickly after 30. Your rebuild gets stalled before it gets started.

The Islanders are getting better because they are scouring the AHL, the waiver wire, and the bottom tier of the NHL rosters for young, cheap value for money players, like the Oilers used to when they had no money.

Since the Oilers have a lot of D-prospects a couple of years out. 30-something defensemen with relatively short duration are probably tolerable, but I think there is probably better value-for-money in the younger RFA/offer sheet D market. Voynov, Leddy, Alzner, McDonagh, Gunnarsson, Tanev.

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: From DET to CHI everyone was saying you didn’t need a great goalie to win the cup.

Yeah, and just before your list there was another run from ’99 – ’03 that went Belfour, Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur & everyone was saying you need a HALL OF FAME goalie to win the Cup. It’s a cyclical thing.

What you can’t have is Bad goaltending & win the Cup.

53. OilClog says:

Edm – Sam Gagner, MPS, #7

Fla – Kulikov, #2

This is my dream. Dream with me?

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Judging by his Twitter feed, Gernat is already at home. His latest tweet dated May 26 says: “Finally rest #Prešovhomeland”

good eye.

I trust MacT snuck a note in his luggage for his mom: “feed the boy and send him back safe and strong”

55. asiaoil says:

1. they will trade down to #11 and pick Bo Horvat

2. Kruger

3. they wlll trade Ales Hemsky and their 2014 first round pick for JayBo

4. Hall – center – no

5. Gagner (trade), Horcoff (buyout) and Belanger (Buyout) all gone

6. Couturier, Briere plus Smithson is resigned as #5 C (we trade #7 and Gagner to Philly for Couturier, Briere and #11) plus maybe a Gordon

7. any big body with some ability will do on LW

8. Khudobin or any other legit backup will do

9. my Philly and STL trades meet the blockbuster criteria

10. only Smithson returns

Hall RNH Yak
    Bickell Coututier Eberle
    MSP Briere Harti
    Smyth Gordon Brown

Jaybo Schulz
    Smid Petry
    Schulz Kbomb Potter

DD Kudobin

56. lakedr.pepper says:

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 36m

Regarding the draft, Maloney said he’s already been offered deal to move up.

MacT, don’t do it, don’t do it.

OilClog:
    Edm – Sam Gagner, MPS, #7

Fla – Kulikov, #2

This is my dream. Dream with me?

Florida doesn’t need Gagner. They have a lot of young centres, so much that they might lean to Drouin over MacKinnon if they have the choice. They also wouldn’t want to pay Gagner.

Dreams should be realistic.

IMHO, the only way Florida trades down out of #2 is if someone takes Campbell off of their hands.

A swap like #2 and Campbell for the #7 and Horcoff is the structure of a deal that has a possibility of happening.

59. Racki says:

I sure as heck hope that the guy that got barely more than a dozen games in last year is going to be spending a good chunk of the year in the AHL (Klefbom, that is). I wouldn’t consider him in the Oilers line up for at least a couple months.

Also, just a reminder to all that we will likely be without the Nuge for a few weeks or so after the start of the season, due to the shoulder surgery recovery. Although who knows.. could be way shorter.. could be longer.

I also fear suggestions that Arcobello or even Lander will be our go-to centers for the bottom six next year. I guess you never really know, but I think the Oilers need to have a better plan. I think Lander can be good one day, but we know AHL success in no way equates to NHL success, necessarily. The Oilers should pick up 2 centers (minimum) in the off-season, especially should they be dumping Horcoff, and be without Nuge for a bit. (this is what LT mentioned in the article, so I’m on the same page with that idea)

I also think Ryan Jones will be back, but Petrell, Smithson, Whitney and Khabibulin definitely gone. MacT will really have his hands full as is, so I think he’ll hang on to Jones since you could probably give him a free pass for a poor year based on the eye injury. I wouldn’t be upset at all if we parted ways though for someone else. I just think there will be a lot of new faces coming in / leaving, which might be a little easier said than done.

Lastly, I think if MacT pulls off a miracle of some sort and lands a real solid, top D-man for this team, that will go much further in making the Oilers better than any other additions.

60. OilClog says:

godot10: Florida doesn’t need Gagner.They have a lot of young centres, so much that they might lean to Drouin over MacKinnon if they have the choice. They also wouldn’t want to pay Gagner.

Dreams should be realistic.

1. Dreams are called dreams for a reason, they make us happy. Realistic or not.
    2. Gagner is 23.. Florida may have young C’s, but I believe only 1 is currently an NHL everyday honest player. Gagner would be an upgrade in position for them, denying this is ridiculous. How do you know they wouldn’t pay Gagner? Tallon and yourself share meals together?
    3. Anyone that picks Drouin over MacKinnon is going to regret it, yes Drouin is an amazing playmaker. But MacKinnon is a KILLER, you don’t pass up guys that bury that puck when the game is on the line. That’s MacKinnon not Drouin, lots of playmakers in the league, much fewer finishers. Let alone the fact that Dynasty type C’s are far more extremely difficult for teams to get their hands on over similar wingers.

61. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10:

Godot

Very nice “possible” deal. Altho Florida may want our #2 or Anaheim’s #2 from us as well. FLA gets Horcoff’s $5.4m cap hit, decent player and a much smaller salary. If MacKinnon is still there at 2OV WOW

62. OilClog says:

godot10:

I would argue that the only way this deal you’ve created happens is if Horcoff is replaced with Gagner, even if we are taking on Campbell’s salary for the season. There isn’t a chance this trade happens realistically it’s the #2 for #7 with Salaries going back and forth… Tallon would be a fool to drop 5 spots for no gain, as Campbell’s contract isn’t hindering Florida in anyway at the moment. As to why you need to add a player like Gagner to the deal for any chance of it taking place.

I’ll change it up

Edm – Gags, MPS, Maricin, Omarks rights, #7
    Fla – Kulikov, #2

This is the direction I go as a GM I offer offer offer any of our young guys not in the FAB 5 plus whatever other goodies we need to throw in to get this done. Hell I’d send every draft pick we have this draft to Florida plus the players to get that #2 and Kulikov.

the famous 5 for 2

Hall, Nuge, Ebs
    Bickell, MacKinnon, Yak
    MPS, HORC, Hemmer
    Smyth, Gordon, Brown

Petry, Smid
    Kulikov, Schultz
    Fistric, Ference
    Klefbom

Dubnyk
    Emery

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog: Gordon Brown

just noting you’ve invoked the former UK PM here.

64. TheOtherJohn says:

Oil Clog

Think Godot is realistic in that FLA owes Cambell $21.5m CASH over the next 3 years. That is a lot of $$ for a team with limited resources. Taking that burden off of them while retaining Horcoff’s cap hit of $5.5m for 2 years at a cost of $7m is a very real real asset. Now as to the periphery of that deal add whoever you want. Campbell still decent player just paid godawful $$$

65. regwald says:

And this is why the GM in Colorado should be dusting off his resume and getting it updated.

From twitter:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1h

Patrick Roy told Joe Sakic today that the team needs to study the possibility of trading the team first round pick in a month. #RDS

66. BlacqueJacque says:

I’d get off the Stalberg bandwagon. He’s been seeing a lot of pine.

BlacqueJacque:
    I’d get off the Stalberg bandwagon.He’s been seeing a lot of pine.

68. Danenbaum says:

At the end of the season, didn’t MacT say Ryan Jones has the type of character he wants for the team?

Danenbaum:

70. cc says:

Lowetide: Meh. Hawks liked him enough to play him 14 minutes a night and he delivered nicely. The post season has seen him get on the wrong side of the coach, doesn’t mean he has no value.

I agree, actually his post season run might be the best thing to happen with regards to teams wanting to acquire Stalberg. I think the odds of the Oilers signing Bickell (whom, I prefer over Stalberg) @ less than 5%. HIs playoff performance is just too good. He’s likely going to get north of 3 million now. That would mean if the Oilers want him they’d need to pony up between 3.5 – 4 million.

Whereas, Stalberg hasn’t been effective in the playoffs but he’s still a damn fine hockey player. I think that the Oilers could overpay Stalberg and he’d still be south of 3 million (2.75 million is my guess). With that cap hit you can play him on the 2nd or 3rd line easily. I could see a 3rd line of with Paajarvi & Stalberg as being hell to play against.

71. Rondo says:

ISS Final Draft 2012 , I wonder how close their top 10 will be 2013

1. Nail Yakupov -1
    2. Filip Forsberg- 11
    3. Ryan Murray -2
    4. Mikhail Grigorenko -12
    5. Jacob Trouba – 9
    6. Griffin Reinhart- 4
    Morgan Rielly – 5
    8. Mathew Dumba – 7
    9. Teuvo Teravainen- 18
    10. Cody Ceci – 15
    11. Brendan Gaunce- 26
    14. Alex Galchenyuk – 3

How could they be so wrong about Forsberg and Galchenyuk?

72. Oilanderp says:

LT, after reading your piece and interpreting it as a prediction, I can only type this:

“If you’re going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you’re going to be locked up.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Then again, some of the happiest people I know are insane…

73. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

TheOtherJohn,

Campbell has a NTC.

That deal won’t happen.

For that matter so does Horcoff

74. mike.c33 says:

Here’s a bold move: MacT trades ALL the Oilers’ 2013 picks for the 2013 first overall.

75. art vandelay says:

Edm – Gags, MPS, Maricin, Omarks rights, #7
    Fla – Kulikov, #2

What? No smelly tube socks as a sweetener to the deal?

76. WeridAl says:

Viktor Stalberg will be one of the hottest UFA, and good chance he will be massively overpaid. Don’t know if you would want Stalberg and his questionable attitude.

I thought the Oilers were looking for a gritty puck moving D and lets face it Hjalmarsson is neither of these, placing too much value on Hammer. Wet dream to believe that Columbus would trade Tyutin, Florida might trade Kulikov, but the question is he worth one of the Oilers top 4, because that’s what Florida would be asking for. The Russian factor scares me with Kulikov, not worth the risk. Sounds like Fistric has priced himself out of the market, 2M range is too much for a 7D. Del Zotto would be interesting, but the question is will Marincin be better and he’s almost ready. The asking price for a top 4D is ridiculous right now and with what the Oilers have coming up is it worth it.

Best bet Fistric will test the open market and will get a big payday from either Montreal, NYI, St Louis, or Tampa. Wouldn’t surprise me if Calgary or Chicago got into the mix.