NICK SCHULTZ RE 12-13: JACK OF ALL TRADES

Nick Schultz is a defensive defenseman with plenty of miles. He’s 811 games into his career and turns 31 in August, and for players of his type the end of the road can come fairly soon.

Nick Schultz 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.23 overall
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.01 overall
  • Offensive Zone Start: 41.0 toughest among Minnesota regulars over 40 games
  • CorsiRel: -8.7 in Minny, worst on the team among regulars over 35GP
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest in Minny, although the 3-5 D appeared quite close
  • Boxcars: 82, 1-6-7
  • Plus Minus: -12

Nick Schultz 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.73 (3rd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: 3rd best among regular D
  • CorsiRel: 4.3 2nd best among regular D (-8.53 CorsiON)
  • Offensive Zone Start: 48.1 2nd easiest among regular D
  • Offensive Zone Finish: 49.5 3rd best among regular D
  • Boxcars: 48, 1-8-9
  • Plus Minus: -13 on a team that was -15

2012-13 vollman oilers d

1. What do these numbers tell us? He played second pairing and had a nice CorsiRel. He was mentor for Schultz the younger for much of the season, although the wheels came off toward the end. He doesn’t supply much offense, so most people will look at the -13 and assume it was  a poor season.
  2. Was it a poor season? No. You’d like more success and he certainly made some unusual decisions in terms of choosing when to pinch (my suggestion would be NEVER) but overall I think he was fine as mentor–helping rookies learn the NHL game isn’t an easy gig.
  3. Minus 13 looks pretty bad. Sure, but the Corsi number tells us he was on the ice for good things, and of course he and Schultz the younger had the least attractive PDO’s. Stuff happens.
  4. What are his positives? Good speed, gritty, he has an idea about where to be on the ice and the number one rule of defense (and real estate): location, location, location. It sounds simple but Oiler fans well know there are defensemen who can’t read or react in time.
  5. What are his negatives? He has a lot of miles on him, and his underlying stats aren’t fabulous. Now, much of that has to do with the quality of the team (stay-at-home types only have defense to show for their efforts. when it’s wanting, it is difficult to prove value). I’m not convinced he’s worth the money being paid.
  6. Is Schultz really a good fit for Edmonton? Sure. Schultz doesn’t have the size (6.01, 200) to dominate players physically, but I’ve never seen him back down and he’ll give as good as he gets. If you look back–from Jason Smith to Kevin Lowe to Allan Hamilton to Larry Zeidel to Eddie Shore Edmonton loves these guys, always have. Nick Schultz is a good, hard nosed defender and if he can hang around long enough there’s going to be some good days for him as an Oiler.
  7. Will they trade him? He’s a candidate, but I expect he’ll stay. The Oilers have to add a veteran defenseman, if they add two then maybe Schultz hitting the exits is an option but I just can’t see MacT bringing that much new talent into the situation.
  8. When will he wear out? Three years? I’ll say another 250 games.
  9. What are MacT’s options? I think he could make a big trade–like acquiring Fedor Tyutin–helping that top 4D and allowing Schultz the elder to mentor Oscar Klefbom next fall.
  10. So the depth chart would be Tyutin-J Schultz; Smid-Petry; N Schultz-Klefbom; Potter? Something like that. I believe the Oilers will keep the ‘big three’ (Smid, Schultz, Petry) and that Nick Schultz will also stay unless the club finds two useful defensemen.
  11. What else could MacT do? If the Oilers can’t add a Tyutin, then they might choose to add a ‘mid-level’ free agent like Mark Streit. That might mean they run with a top 6D like this: Smid-Petry; Schultz-Schultz; Streit-Potter. I do think Klefbom starts in the minors unless the Oilers can add a 20+ minutes defender who can make certain that third pairing gets some protection.
  12. What’s the scenario that would see Nick Schultz leave? If the Oilers go out and acquire a big ticket item–Brian Campbell, Shea Weber–I do believe Nick Schultz would be flushed in favor of a less expensive player who could serve the Klefbom mentor role at less expense. I also think that might allow Mark Fistric into the mix, because he would come at a more reasonable cost.
  13. So, let me get this straight: Campbell-Petry; Smid-Schultz; Fistric-Potter? Something like that, I don’t think the Oilers can add a massive salary on the blue and retain Nick Schultz. He costs significant dollars and does not have a wide range of skills.

21 Responses to "NICK SCHULTZ RE 12-13: JACK OF ALL TRADES"

1. speeds says:

For the sake of argument, is Streit preferable to Rozsival and Leopold, if the latter combo is somewhere between similarly priced to a mil or so more combined?

speeds:

I use Streit as a catch all, but in terms of personal preference have always valued Leopold. Roszival is RH so I assume he’s out.

3. speeds says:

Why would that necessarily mean he’d be out?

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Leopold-Rozsival
    Potter

Klefbom in OKC

speeds:
    Why would that necessarily mean he’d be out?

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Leopold-Rozsival
    Potter

Klefbom in OKC

5. Adam Dyck says:

Schultz/Klefbom would be locked in their own end a lot I think; both have skills, not sure NHL puck moving is one of them (yet, perhaps, in ‘bom’s case).

6. LMHF#1 says:

A 31-year-old defensive defenceman who makes that much money but cannot even play a 2-on-1 properly is not something we can afford at present. We need to upgrade.

I miss Tom Gilbert.

7. speeds says:

I don’t really get the difference though, why include Streit and Tyutin? What’s Streit going to cost as a UFA? If we guess 5 mil, then Streit plus Klefbom would have a combined cap hit of ~6.25 mil. Is it unreasonable to think the combination of Leopold and Rozsival would be similarly priced? plus in that case the Oilers would have Klefbom in the minors for depth if someone were to get hurt.

speeds:

I don’t really get the difference though, why include Streit and Tyutin?What’s Streit going to cost as a UFA?If we guess 5 mil, then Streit plus Klefbom would have a combined cap hit of ~6.25 mil.Is it unreasonable to think the combination of Leopold and Rozsival would be similarly priced? plus in that case the Oilers would have Klefbom in the minors for depth if someone were to get hurt.

Well sure, if you can get Leopold and Rozsival for that, but my guess is that they’re going to cost more than 3M per season. If the Oilers can find a way to force Klefbom to OKC, I’m all for it.

9. Henry says:

I hope Vancouver doesn’t get Tippett.

10. cabbiesmacker says:

There are people on this planet that actually think Rozsival could be an answer?? Even the Oiler’s defence isn’t that bad. The guys trash.

As much as I want him as far away from the Blackhawks as possible, the last thing I want is him moving to an Edmonton location and being a pylon in copper and blue.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Moooove along.

11. cc says:

LMHF#1,

You’re not seeing what I’m seeing. This guy is a great utility d-man. He can do the hard work and always goes the extra mile to finish checks, make a good pass out of the defensive zone, and rarely turns over the puck.

We can’t overhaul the backend and the front end as well. We do need a solid #1 d-man I agree, but not at the expense of taking away four of the quality d-men we have. Lets stick to retooling the bottom six, find a #1 backend guy and go out and win our way into the play-offs next season.

12. Kris11 says:

Lowetide: Unless I’ve missed something, Oilers have about $7.5M in salary to fix LW, C, D and G. I can’t see them spending that much of it on the D.

LT,

That’s probably right about what the Oilers will do.

But don’t you agree shedding salary at F and spending a higher percentage of the cap on D is something the Oilers should do more of?

That is one reason that, IMO, at least one (maybe 2) of Hemsky, Gagner, and Horcoff need to go.

13. mustang says:

I have a question. If the draft doesn’t go in the Oilers favour, would you trade Gagner and 7th overall for Yandle? I personally think Yandle is over rated and he wouldn’t be worth a trade like this. He is good offensively but lacks in all categories after that. Whats your opinion?

mustang:
    I have a question. If the draft doesn’t go in the Oilers favour, would you trade Gagner and 7th overall forYandle? I personally think Yandle is over rated and he wouldn’t be worth a trade like this. He is good offensively but lacks in all categories after that. Whats your opinion?

I agree, Mustang. Yandle is a fine player, but the Oilers have that slot covered with Schultz the younger (hopefully).

Bohologo: Amen. Cutting yourself out of talent procurement based on birth certificates is not a good idea.

16. RickDeckard says:

Bohologo,

Sled dogs = 3 scoring lines. Do Russians have an expression that means 3 for 1 trade?

Personally I ask him about Hall, Yakupov and Paajarvi at the combine. Hall because I want know how he’d cope with being at best the 1B option for LW, Yakupov because duh and Paajarvi because I’d want to know how he’d deal with adversity. Obviously he’d be against going to the AHL but if he didn’t burst in as a true top 6 option I’d want to know how he’d face being on the 3rd or 4th line.

17. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Rejoice. The speculation is over, Barkov will be an Oiler:

From the article regarding Barkov:
    “He had a shoulder problem, a dislocation.”

18. Rocknrolla says:

Bohologo:
    Lots of Nichushkin stories here in the morning hockey pages here in Russia today, all quotes from http://www.rsport.ru/hockey/:

-Dinamo honcho Safranov says he thinks Nichushkin is not yet ready for NHL hockey:
    “Мне кажется, что он еще не готов. ”

-(I think this opinion may be linked to the fact that Dinamo recently traded for Nichuskhin’s rights from Traktor just on May 1, so the boss could be trying to save face here; maybe Traktor knew something Dinamo didn’t [I'm a CSKA fan, so eat it Dinamo!])

-Safranov says Nichushkin didn’t want to play on the 4th line (not unreasonable for a teenager playing on one of the KHL’s premier teams, I submit), but the GM says, “У нас нет первого и четвертого звена, у нас все – собаки, которые выполняют свою работу, как сказал один товарищ” (“We don’t have a first and fourth line, we have all dogs which fulfill their work as one comrade.” [Sorry, it sounds better in Russian-sort of a sled dog analogy. Russians have the best expressions.])

-Dinamo’s coach takes the high road and wishes his player well, but says somewhat ominously: ” Сейчас у нас есть папа, мама, тети, дяди и очень много народу, а тренеры где-то в конце, поэтому решил так, как решил, желаю ему хоккейного счастья! – сказал Знарок журналистам.”(“Now we have dad, mom, aunts, uncles, and a lot of people [giving advice] but coaches are at the end, so I decided it’s decided, I wish him hockey happiness! [no really, hockey happiness])

-KHL Commish Medvedev (not the PM) weighs in: “”Потому что расторжение контракта без компенсации выглядит очень странно”, – заметил Медведев,” which is something like “Because breaking the contract without compensation seems strange,” he wants to talk to Dinamo.

-Medvedev further laments a player of Nichushkin’s caliber going to the NHL: “Конечно, нашей лиге жалко терять такую звезду” (“Of course, our league losing such a star is a pity.”)He suggests Nichushkin ought to follow Ovechkin & Malkin examples of waiting a bit. Which is not unreasonable.

——————–

I’ve only got a few weeks left here in my time in Russia, but just because I am biased doesn’t mean I am wrong: the Oilers need more Russians.Before the usual reactions begin, hands up if you would like to any of Datsyuk, Malkin, or Kulikov playing for the Oil. Me too. It’s time to get over Mikhnov.

Great stuff my man!

Kris11: LT,

That’s probably right about what the Oilers will do.

Kris,

Sorry, I missed this last night. Yes, I do think they need to spend more on D, Whitney’s money plus some more. I don’t think there’s going to be a large amount of difference between Whitney’s money last year and Streit’s this coming year (should the Oilers sign him).

If they could get Streit and Leopold for $7M, they could use the Whitney/Sutton money from last season plus another 1M from the forwards:

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Streit-Leopold
    Potter

I just don’t think the Oilers will be able to sign both of them (or even two useful FA’s). Too many teams need defensemen.

20. rickithebear says:

LMHF#1: I miss Tom Gilbert.

Ah yeah!
    In a league were 2.40- 2.58GA/GM may or may not get you in the playoffs.
    Tom Gilberts .82GA/Gm for 15.75 EV minutes facing 2nd ,3rd comp.
    Means the remaining 12 mnutes of PK , PP and 32.25 Minutes of EV need to be 1.68GA/GM
    to let us have a chance at the playoffs.

LAst year;

N. Schultz .05GA/gm
    Whitney .05 GA/gm
    Petry .03 GA/gm
    J. Schultz .02 GA/gm
    C. Potter .02 GA/gm
    Gilbert .06GA/gm

We could not afford Gilbert EV play with J. Schultz Even play on the team.
    J.Schultz and Petry are both top 40 PP production Dmen.
    Gilberts GA off of penalties are there with the two physical precence Dman. Fail!

The need for a stay at home heavy physical front net Dman on each pair
    Dictates the break up of N. Schultz and J. Schultz.
    The complete idiocy of Gilbert on this team.

We know Smid-Petry results are top 10 First comp Dmen.
    J. schultz requires a stable Physical Dman to play bottom pairing with.
    N. schultz may not be capable of playing Front net Physical shut Down D.
    Potter is the perfect 3rd Pair PP Dman.
    Problem is J. schultz cannot even handle 3rd comp Even.(AHL calibre) (whitney is correct)
    that is his slot for 3M more.