NIKITA

I have a friend who grew up in the Kremlin. Seriously. I always tell people his story because it’s pretty cool. He loves Canada (except for the winters) and is an Oiler fan which I find to be a fascinating fact. After all, the Oilers are NOT aggressive in the Russian hockey market.

I’ve been reading Jim Matheson since I was a teenager.  Matheson was writing long before many of you were born and can still hit the ball hard when the opportunity presents itself. Something tells me the recent management change might have opened up a trickle of information for the veteran newspaper man.

Matheson is writing some interesting stuff for draft fans, and specifically has his finger on the Oilers pulse as it applies to Russian defender Nikita Zadorov. The big man scored a nice goal on the PP last night, and does indeed appear to be that most rare of defensemen–a huge player (6.06, 230) with good foot speed. If the Oilers envision a shutdown LH defender who might be ready in the next 24 months, maybe they take him at #7. A few notes from Matheson, whose impressive article is here.

• Stu MacGregor talking about comparisions between Zadorov and Ottawa D Jared Cowen: “There’s similarities. Zadorov probably skates a little better than Cowen, but Cowen has a real intelligence to his game. He’s a little more refined right now.”
  • More MacGregor on Zadorov: “He’s a big boy who moves pretty well.”

Matheson also sounds pretty certain of the Oilers interest, saying “the man-child Zadorov is definitely on the Oilers’ radar screen with the No. 7 pick. They’ll be watching him very closely, unless MacTavish deals the pick and they slide back about 10 spots, then the strong, two-way centre Horvat could be in play. Or maybe the goalie Fucale, who is in a group with Edmonton Oil Kings’ Tristan Jarry and Tri-City Americans’ Eric Comrie, who figure to go very early in Round 2.”

I believe they covet Sean Monahan, but are convinced Barkov will go #4 and Monahan will end up in Calgary at #6. Can’t say I disagree. speeds has a nice, reasonable argument on his blog in support of selecting Nichushkin for the #7 pick, but I think the Oilers grab the Russian playing in North America at #7 (unless Lindholm or Monahan are there, or they trade down).

Finally, I’m up to 15 now in my ongoing effort to rank the first round. This isn’t scientific (believe me) but does rely on Desjardins’ NHLE and other things that I’ve grown to believe indicate strong trends among draft eligibles. You’ll also notice some shuffling of the previous top 10, as I get a firmer grasp on exactly what we’re looking for. The last time I posted a list was here.

TOP 15 (SECOND DRAFT) 2013

1. L Jonathan Drouin: Moves up to #1, impact offensive player might be the best this decade. Willis convinced me.
  2. D Seth Jones: I know defensemen are hard to predict, but there’s just too much talent to rank him lower.
  3. C Sasha Barkov: This is such a deep draft, I think he’s got a chance to be something special.
  4. C Nathan MacKinnon: Still a big fan, but for me the other three have the potential to impact the game more.
  5. C Elias Lindholm: Overlooked talent, Stu MacGregor never mentioned him during the first round of 2013 draft talk with media. Counter trey?
  6. L Valeri Nichushkin: Last guy on the board who could be an impact offensive player in the NHL. This is an insanely deep draft.
  7. C Sean Monahan: I believe he is the Oilers target, the key tumbler for new GM MacT in terms of building up the middle.
  8. D Rasmus Ristolainen: I stubbornly believe he’s the second best D option despite growing evidence to the contrary.
  9. C-L Max Domi: A nice kick at the end puts him here. Talented hockey player. Who knew?
  10. D Nikita Zadorov: Huge defender with speed, I don’t see the offense everyone is talking about but he can move and blocks out the sun.
  11. C Curtis Lazar: Despite Bob McKenzie saying that Lazar was one of two prospects outside the top 10 to get more than one vote for the lottery edition, there are Oiler fans who believe he is a late first rounder. I don’t see it. With the understanding that he is not an elite offensive player, I’m not certain there’s a tremendous gap between Lazar and Monahan based on their TOI in the CHL. I’ve nicked him some because of rumors he’ll play as a RW in the NHL.
  12. L Artturi Lehkonen: Finland produces an outstanding skill W who could be underrated at this number.
  13. D Darnell Nurse: I’m officially not as strong on this player as pretty much everyone else. I just don’t see the offense. Good player, doesn’t get bonus offensive points from me.
  14. L Anthony Mantha: I like him, dropped him down a little because Redline has thrown up some question marks.
  15. C Nicolas Petan: I know, he’s very small. Don’t care.

72 Responses to "NIKITA"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

I think for your radio show you should interview someone with the London Knights. Since the Oilers could be looking at Zadorov and perhaps Horvat.

I thinks since the Oilers are drafting #7 there is more opportunity to bluff and posture . Unlike picking #1.

2. Captain's Log says:

LT, everywhere I’ve looked I seem him as being 6’5 / 230. Curious where you saw him at 250. Pretty surprising to see an 18 year old at that weight (even 230 is huge).

I’d be happy with Zadarov with the 7th pick although I think they could probably move down and still pick him later. 22nd in final CSS rankings.

Rondo: Working on it, likely to come sometime after the Memorial Cup. I’m most interested in Domi–that guy has really turned it on, but Zadorov is certainly in there somewhere.

Captain’s Log:
    LT, everywhere I’ve looked I seem him as being 6’5 / 230.Curious where you saw him at 250.Pretty surprising to see an 18 year old at that weight (even 230 is huge).

I’d be happy with Zadarov with the 7th pick although I think they could probably move down and still pick him later.22nd in final CSS rankings.

My bad, I misquoted the Matty article. Will correct.

5. Rondo says:

Great, I will be listening. Your very good on the radio.

BTW I did ask Corey Pronman the difference between Monahan and Horvat he said A little but not a ton. Monahan has a notch or so more offensive upside

6. VanOil says:

My bet is Mackinnon has a Steve Yzerman like career. At #4 that is a hell of a value.

A press confernce video of the 3 top CHL guys here http://thechronicleherald.ca/videos/sports/2390043536001

7. spoiler says:

Glad to see all you guys are finally coming around to my thinking on Drouin!

;op

But… I also think he slides at the draft, unless Florida can put something together where they can get both Drouin and MacKinnon.

8. spoiler says:

Hasn’t Matheson had the Oilers taking a defenseman for 3 straight drafts? I don’t think his article is coming out of inside knowledge or a finger on the pulse, but rather personal bias.

spoiler:
    Hasn’t Matheson had the Oilers taking a defenseman for 3 straight drafts?I don’t think his article is coming out of inside knowledge or a finger on the pulse, but rather personal bias.

Good point. Zadorov, Murray and Larsson. I believe you’re correct.

10. leadfarmer says:

Sure glad they won those 2 meaningless games at the end.

11. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Good point. Zadorov, Murray and Larsson. I believe you’re correct.

I don’t mind his thinking… but I worry too that Zadarov doesn’t bring enough O to be taken that high. Larry Robinson comparisons are a hell of an endorsement though.

By the way, don’t know if this was your intent, but your title photo is missing a Kremlin… Has St Basil’s and a piece of Red Square but no Kremlin.

12. sliderule says:

LT
    I don’t think Horvat will be there after the tenth pick.

He is moving up and his play against Saskatoon was very good.

Unlike Domi he plays center and wins draws like Monahan.

Skating needs some work but thick guys like he and Barkov can improve with coaching.

He has good hands and will get a ton of points when they move him from front of net on PP.

SpOILer: I just really liked that photo, the sky against all the color in the buildings. Kremlin is impressive, but that photo above is beautiful.

14. spoiler says:

C’mon Orb! It’s been too long since the last Triple Crown.

15. spoiler says:

St Basil’s has to be one of the most photogenc buildings in the world. Absolutely gorgeous.

16. spoiler says:

Wow, we’ve just seen an Oxbow incident. Pole to pole pretty much. No Triple this year.

spoiler:
    Glad to see all you guys are finally coming around to my thinking on Drouin!

;op

How does Drouin get past #3? Perfect successor to St. Louis. Jones off the board. Lecavalier signed for eternity and Stamkos.

18. spoiler says:

godot10: How does Drouin get past #3?Perfect successor to St. Louis.Jones off the board.Lecavalier signed for eternity and Stamkos.

Hey, I’m a big fan of Drouin. I think he should be number one…

I shouldn’t have limited it to FLA going for both, don’t know why I did, but if one of the top 3 drafters really wanted the 2 linemates, I can see them attempting a trade.

19. spoiler says:

And I should add that Barkov could very well go in the top 3.

20. spoiler says:

Oh I feel for the poor anthem singer. What a great crowd to help her out.

spoiler:
    Oh I feel for the poor anthem singer. What a great crowd to help her out.

I was so proud of that crowd for doing that, awesome. And then she came back and sang the Canadian anthem very well. Good for her. As someone who has had his share of public speaking “moments” I can’t imagine the terror of losing the anthem as she did.

Damn.

22. fuzzy muppet says:

Anyone have a link to the memorial cup? In the USA they aren’t showing jack squat

23. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Anyone have a link to the memorial cup?In the USA they aren’t showing jack squat

Sportsnet is supposed to have live streaming, but it’s not working on my laptop:

24. fuzzy muppet says:

25. spoiler says:

A very un-Carruth like goal there. Caught deep in his crease too.

Red Wings absolutely stole Frk in the 2nd round last year.

26. spoiler says:

The one thing about Jones is there isn’t a Dman in this draft that can match his offensive instincts. And probably not his straight ahead speed. Great goal. I think every Hawk on the ice had a touch in the lead up too.

27. speeds says:

Different people have different things they look for, but every time I’ve seen Petan he’s been impressive.

28. leadfarmer says:

Hey LT what did you think of that Torres suspension. IMO 2 games would of been fine. Stoll was skating with his head down and got hit. Happened to Hall all the time until he started keeping his head up.

29. speeds says:

In that one period, you see some of the things noted on the scouting reports of the top players – MacKinnon’s speed and acceleration, Drouin’s hands, Jones’s instincts

30. spoiler says:

speeds:

I thought he had a strong period. He’s been convincing me this playoffs.

31. spoiler says:

While that goal looks like it is all Rattie, Petan makes a good dish and then smartly runs the interference that gave Rattie the time and space for his toe drag.

leadfarmer:
    Hey LT what did you think of that Torres suspension.IMO 2 games would of been fine.Stoll was skating with his head down and got hit.Happened to Hall all the time until he started keeping his head up.

The NHL is a joke. An absolute joke. That’s what I think. If Joe Thornton makes the same play, I doubt it’s a penalty.

33. spoiler says:

Wow, MacKinnon absolutely scoops Jones then somehow gets it by Carruth.

34. fuzzy muppet says:

well Mackinnon is doing all he can to stay in to the conversation for #1. Hat trick. Ideally I’d like the Oilers to trade UP and take him

Deep deep draft. Four guys who could end up being high level, impact, elite, franchise types. Oilers picks 7th (sad trombone).

36. speeds says:

They’ll still get a very good prospect if they take whoever of Monahan, Lindholm, or Nichushkin is available.

speeds:

Agreed.

38. asiaoil says:

#7 to Philly for Couturier still seems like a deal to me – particularly if the Russian is there – he’s already stated that he wants to play there.

Then Hemsky/Gagner for a dman and LW muscle

39. spoiler says:

I’ve never seen Carruth play this poorly.

40. speeds says:

asiaoil,

Not sure Philly would do that deal. That would leave them with 7OV and 11OV, not sure that’s better for them than Couturier and 11OV. Or that they wouldn’t prefer trading up from 11 to 7 while retaining Couturier.

41. Rondo says:

asiaoil,

I could see Philly seriously thinking about that trade if Valeri Nichushkin is available at # 7.

42. sliderule says:

I think MacT expects more from scouts in later rounds.

Since Stu started to pick he has had 5 second round picks plus two more this year.
    You should get 30 percent of those so two players.
    So far we have nobody emerging with exception of Marincin .Hopefully will cash this year

In the third round he has made seven picks and the league average is around 20 percent.
    There should be one player there but so far the arrows are not up.

In the 2001 to 2006 drafts KP was bang on with his second and third rounders but dismal at 40 percent with first rounders.

KP was not picking first overall like Stu so you have to cut him some rope
    Stu and his staff have to do better this year with the two seconds

sliderule:
    I think MacT expects more from scouts in later rounds.

You should get 30 percent of those so two players.

Not picking on you, but is 30% a proven line in the sand?

44. asiaoil says:

Rondo:
    asiaoil,

Yeah that’s probably the scenario given the guy’s talent, size and desire to play in Philly, and they could still get a good dman (Zadorov) or center (Horvat, Gauthier) at #11. But it probably all depends on the Russian being there. Couturier and RNH would be a great two-way 1-2 punch at center, especially with our skill on the wings.

45. spoiler says:

sliderule:
    I think MacT expects more from scouts in later rounds.

You should get 30 percent of those so two players.

There should be one player there but so far the arrows are not up.

KP was not picking first overall like Stu so you have to cut him some rope
    Stu and his staff have to do better this year with the two seconds

I think people get a little too brainlocked on draft position. I’m willing to bet that the Oilers had Moroz, Kuhaira and Zharkov ranked on their lists in the opposite order they took them, but drafted them in the order they could get them.

46. sliderule says:

LT
    That was the percentage of player who played more than 200 games from the 2001 to 2006 draft.

That’s only one six year sample but it is the only measuring period that would allow 200 games to be reasonable and covered part of KPs tenure.

The thing that sticks in my craw is three of the picks made by Stu and staff were almost like late first rounders were the success rate should be 65 percent

47. Rondo says:

asiaoil,

Makes sense to me.

48. spoiler says:

Joe Thornton and R A Dickey are long lost brothers.

sliderule:
    LT

That’s only one six year sample butit is the only measuring period that would allow 200 games to be reasonable and covered part of KPs tenure.

The thing that sticks in my craw is three of the picks made by Stu and staffwere almost like late first rounders were the success rate should be 65 percent

But can you blame MacGregor for the Pitlick injury? The goal scored by Toffoli tonight caused Bob McKenzie to comment on how far he fell, but Pitlick was ranked AHEAD of Toffoli in 2010! Using McKenzie’s list, Pitlick was the better bet.

I understand the frustration, but wonder if this is on MBS or just a case of random bad luck? I could buy either, but think we should at least have the conversation.

50. spoiler says:

asiaoil:

Then Hemsky/Gagner for a dman and LW muscle

This would be sweet, and I would do the deal in a tweeker’s eyetwitch, but I too am not convinced that Philly would trade Couturier. If he falls to 11, I’m sure they take NIchushkin, but I think they wouldn’t want to pay so much to be sure they get him. Briere is 35… they need to hang onto their young Cs. And they will still get a good winger at 11, if that’s what they want.

51. sliderule says:

I don’t have too much trouble with the Pitlick pick.However I don’t think MacT would have let that pick stand when you consider his comments about players being able to follow instructions.

I do have problems with the Musil pick as skating for a D has to be considered and Musil doesn’t have that.Hamilton was a throw away as he had hardly played as a draftee and as a result you didn’t know what you are getting..The fact those injuries were from contact and have affected the way he plays should have been considered.
    Then you have the Moroz pick which at first I gave them the benefit on as they had the most opportunity to study and know him.Off what I have seen and the boxes he has produced the arrows are down for this young man.
    I hope MacT much like Lombardi brings new ideas to draft.The oilers draftees seem to skate real well but the bigger ones don’t seem to have hockey sense and hands.These are things that are impossible to teach .The skating can improve with good coaching.
    I believe MacT understands this and as he has spent a lot of this seaso scouting I am hopeful for good things at draft.

52. spoiler says:

C’mon Seals. Bury one here.

spoiler:
    C’mon Seals. Bury one here.

I’ve got my Gord Gund Platypus cheering for the Seals!

Sliderule: The Musil pick is the big one imo. I talked to a scout (non Oiler) who said if his foot speed was a little better he’d be a strong NHL defenseman for a decade. His opinion though was that he was shy and wouldn’t have a long NHL career.

We’ll see, but that was his call. Again, NON OILER scout.

55. spoiler says:

sliderule:

I’m hoping Caroline takes Zadarov and we get us one of them there shiny new Centers.

All the talk about defensemen though does worry me. We know a couple of them wanted the Dman at the last draft. And it so hard to trade for a top pairing blueliner that I think they would draft him if they thought there was one available in their slot. Regardless if there was a C available.

From MacT’s comments, The Braintrust seems to be pretty happy with Gagner so they probably aren’t looking for a Center at all, despite Horc’s age (and maybe Kuhaira is planned as his replacement).

But finding that future first pairing defenseman in this year’s crop looks tough. Last year was a defenseman draft. This one doesn’t seem as good.

56. spoiler says:

Where the hell did CJ Stretch come from? The Ontario Reign of the ECHL? Huh?

57. spoiler says:

The White Skates win!!!

58. spoiler says:

Pitlick’s playoffs have been encouraging this year. If he can keep it up, there might still be a player there. Maybe a Brodziak.

59. OilLeak says:

spoiler:
    Pitlick’s playoffs have been encouraging this year.If he can keep it up, there might still be a player there.Maybe a Brodziak.

Pitlick’s playoffs were encouraging last year as well, but in his second year in the AHL his overall numbers and play were worse than his first. Brodziak also scored a bit in the AHL and by the third year Brodziak had 24 Goals and 56 points in 62 games. If, we’re hoping for a Brodziak type player, Pitlick needs to take a massive leap in his development and I just don’t see that happening. Pitlick reminds me of POS in a way, amazing tools and ability, but is unable to put it all together to fulfill his potential.

60. supernova says:

OilLeak: Pitlick’s playoffs were encouraging last year as well, but in his second year in the AHL his overall numbers and play were worse than his first.Brodziak also scored a bit in the AHL and by the third year Brodziak had 24 Goals and 56 points in 62 games. If, we’re hoping for a Brodziak type player, Pitlick needs to take a massive leap in his development and I just don’t see that happening.Pitlick reminds me of POS in a way, amazing tools and ability, but is unable to put it all together to fulfill

Take this for what it’s worth

I seen Pitlick play about 30 games in his one and only junior season. Of course he was drafted prior to playing junior but here was my thoughts

He immediately stood out for hockey sense and positioning
    Decent skater and pretty decent hands not phenomenal but good hands
    Strong, and willing to hit and be assertive
    He rarely played with linden vey ( one of the top point getters) or Emerson Etem or hunter Shinkaruk but still drove the river and made smart reads in both zones.

Reminded me a lot of mark McNeill who I have also seen play many times and also against Pitlick. McNeill probably had better hands Pitlick better skating.

Biggest thing that struck me was he looked like he needed more at bats, he got injured that year (ankle) and I thought the best thing for his development would be to play one more year in junior at get those at bats.

He went to the AHL off an injury and also with very few actual games under his belt due to his injury and also playing young in college hockey.

There is definitely a player there but my fear is he might be a casualty of miscast and misjudgement, by both himself and by the team.

I have always thought unless a guy can play top 6 all year, leave them to over ripen.

I have the same fear for Ewanyk, different situation but with all the injuries he has had I think he should spend the year in Edmonton and play against boys and grow in confidence and strength before facing men in the minors. Pitlick and Ewanyk are different players and Pitlick in my mind had a much better chance at becoming a regular nhl player but I see a similarity.

61. Danenbaum says:

Where do you think Yakupov would slot if he were in this year’s draft (pretending he never played an NHL season of course)?

62. RickDeckard says:

spoiler,

I’ve heard 2012 described not so much as a defenceman heavy draft but as a draft devoid of forwards. Zero Canadian forwards taken in the top 15 speaks for itself. Players like Murray, Koekkoek and Reinhart aren’t particularly special, at least, not like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Bogosian and Karlsson are. I like both Nurse and Ristolainen over Murray.

63. OilLeak says:

supernova,

In the AHL so far he has shown poor Hockey sense and poor playmaking ability. Often skates in the offensive zone and doesn’t do much with the puck (Easy to knock off the puck too, especially along the boards). I haven’t caught his most recent games, but after watching him for the last couple of seasons , he needs to start strong, there are always new prospects waiting to take his place.

64. striatic says:

Zadorov looks to be the second best defenseman available this draft.

Between his size, willingness to fight and respectable offense i think the Oilers will be interested.

What i worry about is that the best case scenario for Zadorov is as an Andy Sutton replacement. These are guys you get get as moderately expensive UFAs once your team is good enough.

If he’s Zdeno Chara, then you need to draft him but his offensive numbers fall significantly short of Chara’s pre-draft stats.

65. MrSmitty says:

Watching the highlights of that Portland vs Halifax game. Jones did not look good against elite scorers (McKinnon). I have fears he may be just another Johnson. McKinnon certainly impressed.

Danenbaum:

Good question. I think he’d be in the mix at the top, Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Yakupov. I don’t know the order, Yak’s injury might have impacted. Oilers would have taken Jones, guaranteed. Beyond that, I wouldn’t even want to guess. These kids this year are outstanding, but so was Yakupov.

Drouin’s NHLE is 50 points, and that’s an amazing number. Yakupov had the same NHLE before he was injuried in his final junior season. Dynamic players.

67. sliderule says:

In going over the draft success from 2001 to 2006 the fourth round had a success rate of 12 percent.

As the third round had a success rate of 20 percent Stu’s comment to Tambo that giving up a third or fourth didn’t matter which ,rankles me more.

68. mustang says:

OilLeak:
    supernova,

In the AHL so far he has shown poor Hockey sense and poor playmaking ability. Often skates in the offensive zone and doesn’t do much with the puck (Easy to knock off the puck too, especially along the boards). I haven’t caught his most recent games, but after watching him for the last couple ofseasons , he needs to start strong, there are always new prospects waiting to take his place.

I’m with Supernova on this one, I think Pitlick has all the tools to be a NHL hockey player, his biggest issue is confidence. I think supernova is right it would have been a good idea to keep him with the tigers one more season then the AHL. Hind sight is always 20/20 or better I guess. I wonder if it would help to send him to ECHL if he doesn’t start strong next yr in OKC.I don believe Confidence is a major issue with this young man, and without it you’ll never reach or exceed your potential…Alex Burrows is a good example.

69. Ducey says:

sliderule:

As the third round had a success rate of20 percent Stu’s comment to Tambo that giving up a third or fourth didn’t matter which ,rankles me more.

What’s “success”? If the criteria is an NHL game, does VDV or Kytnar or Motin or Plante count as a success?

70. supernova says:

mustang: I’m with Supernova on this one, I think Pitlick has all the tools to be a NHL hockey player, his biggest issue is confidence. I think supernova is right it would have been a good idea to keep him with the tigers one more season then the AHL. Hind sight is always 20/20 or better I guess. I wonder if it would help to send him to ECHL if he doesn’t start strong next yr in OKC.I don believeConfidence is a major issue with this young man, and without it you’ll never reach or exceed your potential…Alex Burrows is a good example.

I think that should be an option this year as well with the 3 big guns on the farm.

I think the organization has to put players in a position to succeed. Simply put if the player isn’t showing a ton of success don’t move him to the next level.

Harti is a much better example of pure player development and he frustrates lots of people because they think he should be a full time NHL player, hopefully he will next season but he has also had the at-bats in the minors to have coaches, players and himself say he has proven everything he needs to at this level lets move him on.

71. sliderule says:

Ducey,

Success is 200 games played in NHL.