OIL KINGS AND BARONS IN ACTION 3.5.13

Martin Gernat and the Edmonton Oil Kings faceoff tonight at 8:05 in Game one of the WHL finals. Team 1260 has the game and it should be a very good one. Today on Lowdown with Lowetide, Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun told us he wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers ended up trading down and grabbing Curtis Lazar (another Oil King).

If you’re tuning in the game tonight, watch Lazar and tell me what you think. Thanks.

cornet2

Also tonight it’s do or do for the OKC Barons against the Charlotte Checkers. I’ll update as the evening wears on. The real story this season for the Barons has been the progress made by certain prospects–Toni Rajala, Martin Marincin, Taylor Fedun. Not many, but a start.

1. Cornet (Arcobello) 1-0 OKC at 34 seconds
  2. Pitlick  (Green, Marincin) 2-0 OKC 10:23
  3. VandeVelde (Tyrvainen, Eager) 3-0 OKC 15:57
  4. Green 4-0 OKC 5:27 (2nd)
  5. Lander (Marincin, Hartikainen) 5-0 OKC 8:29 (2nd)
  6. Marincin  (Green, Hartikainen) 6-0 OKC 11:11 (2nd)
  7. Pitlick (Fedun, Stretch) 7-1 OKC 9:08 (3rd)
  8. Hartikainen (Rajala) 8-1 OKC (3rd)

65 Responses to "OIL KINGS AND BARONS IN ACTION 3.5.13"

1. boopronger says:

Huge mistake to trade down IMO. The team that trades down almost never comes out on top and I certainly dont think this current management group can out smart anyone to do it.

You would almost be better off trading all the rest of your picks to move from 7 to 5.

2. Racki says:

Go Kings!

3. Melman says:

LT there’s something wrong with your keyboard. It typed Pitlick as the 2nd goal scorer!

Unless they package the 7th for immediate help, i think they’re better off keeping the pick vs. adding a lower one. Realistically your 7th pick should be 3-4 years away (maybe more for a D) and the best teams seem to always have a prospect ready to come up. Outside of Hartikainen (and maybe Rajala) we’ve probably graduated all of our forwards from the 2011 and earlier drafts who will become regulars in the NHL.

I think it depends on who is at #7. If all the forwards are gone and the choice is Zadorov versus dealing down? I’d say deal down. Or take the Russian, but I have to say that’s a long shot based on their history

Melman: I know! He hasn’t scored in years.

6. Ray says:

I don’t want to make this sound like a hfboards post but I could see a reasonable scenario where we trade back. For example would Petry, Hemsky, and the 7th, get you Bogosian and the 14th from Wpg?

i’m not going to argue the value of the above but more the idea of it. I think it has enough merit that I wont complain about all the smoke out there until I see what the return can be.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

To continue my tracking of mainstreaming adv. stats from earlier today… Ron MacLean just said “corsi and fenwick” as part of a toss to commercial

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone know if Eager is enjoying himself?

I’d think I love the opportunity to play in the playoffs even if it was the AHL if I was a guy like him.

9. Ray says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

fantastic to hear… every time I hear advanced stats talk from msm it puts a smile on my face

10. stevezie says:

boopronger,

PHX won by trading down to Edmonton in 2007.

11. leadfarmer says:

How has Gernat been doing in these playoffs?

12. fifthcartel says:

Marincin with a 3 point night.

13. Lucinius says:

I don’t understand any rationale in trading Marincin, short of him being a piece in a deal for a franchise d-men, based on his year in OKC; there’s just too much damn potential in the kid.

14. art vandelay says:

You guys would enjoy my new advanced stat:

All teams who fail to make the playoffs go on to fail to win the Stanley Cup.

If you’re interested in the data, it’s available at:

www. the playoffs are on in 16 NHL cities .com

15. FPB94 says:

art vandelay,

You and Wayne would be great friends.

16. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

art vandelay,

hiart

17. leadfarmer says:

Nice to see Colin McDonald finding a home.

18. Lucinius says:

Not sure how the Checker player didn’t get an instigator penalty…

19. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

I caught that too and couldn’t help but think that someone in CBC management said “we need to increase our nerd demographic!!”

20. RickDeckard says:

Racki,

Or “Oh shit, CTV is going to steal the Saturday night contract if we keep shitting the bed”.

21. Lucinius says:

Eight goals for the Barons… and there’s still more time.

22. LoDog says:

I’m not at the game tonight but I was at game 5 and gernat was the player that looked way above everyone else. Only one game etc.

23. fifthcartel says:

Pitlick with two goals, is this real life?

fifthcartel: .

4-4-8 in his last 11. Appears to be a pulse.

25. BlacqueJacque says:

Heh. It is strange to be pleasantly surprised by Pitlick. Until today all he had accomplished is to somehow be the first player to get worse every season after being drafted.

He’s 21, that’s pretty young. Terrible start to his pro career but there’s time.

27. Bank Shot says:

Pitlick has a chance at becoming an Eric Nystrom. That’s not the worst thing in the world.

28. Aron_S says:

Glad to see there’s a pulse from Pitlick. Is Hamilton injured? Or a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

29. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Anyone have an Oil Kings stream?

1-0 OK

With Pitlick, it is all inside his head. Does he want an NHL career or not?

A serious injury and seeing it slipping away tends to focus the mind.

32. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Does anyone know if Eager is enjoying himself?

leadfarmer:
    How has Gernat been doing in these playoffs?

Stats certainly back up LODOG’s personal assessment. 17 6 10 16 +20 6 so far including an early assist tonight. Best +/- in the playoffs, and tied for D lead in scoring.

BlacqueJacque:
    Heh. It is strange to be pleasantly surprised by Pitlick.Until today all he had accomplished is to somehow be the first player to get worse every season after being drafted.

Hamilton is right with Pitlick in that race. At least Pitlick seems to show up for the playoffs.

33. speeds says:

Petan is small, sure. But not many draft eligible WHL players lead league in scoring

34. kashirat says:

You would think another team is thinking the exact same thing though. If none of the forwards fall through the cracks then does our pick lose value in the mind of other teams?

35. RexLibris says:

With regards to Gernat, I’ve seen him play about a half-dozen times now. Hi defensive play is similar to Tom Gilbert’s, in my view, as he is responsible but tends to use his reach and positioning to stop the play rather than the Jason Smith Smashmouth method of defensive-zone coverage. He also spent a good deal of time last season on the first PK unit with Reinhart and he was the better of the two, in my opinion. Reinhart would lose his player at times, but make up for it with his size. Gernat generally kept to his coverage.

Smart player and unbelievable offensive instincts. I can’t wait to see he and Marincin patrol the blueline together.

36. RexLibris says:

Given the Oilers’ success to-date with Yakupov, I’m hesitant to write off the possibility of Nichushkin at the draft. He may be interested to come play with a countryman of similar age. And Yakupov’s having his family here may also make Nichushkin feel more at home were they to room together.

Hall and Ebs, Yak and Nush?

37. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris:

Hall and Ebs, Yak and Nush?

I was going to post something similar. Sure,the org has a history with Russians(Mikhnov) but they’ve gone all in with Yak, I can’t see how picking this kid should be that big of an issue. I mentioned the other night that the Oilers better be doing their homework with this kid because there is a real chance he falls to 7.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

And it’s nice to see Pitlick with a little success(and a pulse)

Getting 1 of Pitlick or Hamilton to show something at the pro level would be a real bonus for this organization.

39. RickDeckard says:

RexLibris,

They should just bring Yak to the draft combine and have him do the interview.

40. Ducey says:

Gerta Rauss:
    And it’s nice to see Pitlick with a little success(and a pulse)

6 shots to lead the team is encouraging.

41. khildahl says:

So, tuned into the SJ/VAN game and see empirical evidence that the NHL has no intention of correcting the poor quality of officiating: Tom Kowal is working in the playoffs.

42. Bank Shot says:

I can’t believe the Oil Kings have a player named Shmoorkoff……

Oilers should sign him just so we can say stuff like Horcoff, Shmoorkoff!

Bank Shot:
    I can’t believe the Oil Kings have a player named Shmoorkoff……

Oilers should sign him just so we can say stuff likeHorcoff, Shmoorkoff!

The first game I listened to on the radio this year, I thought it was some kind of joke or strange promotion. You know, like when Joe THEE-sman becamse Joe THIGH-sman when he had a chance to win the Heisman.

44. Vince says:

Colin Macdonald…playoff goal scorer. good for him.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Ducey,

I’ve been following both those kids since their draft year with high hopes. And it’s not that I’ve been disappointed with poor play or bad habits, it is more that they have been invisible….crickets.(and injury)

I’m pulling for them.

46. Racki says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Ducey,

I’m pulling for them.

Oilers veterans! .. a non-factor at best.

47. dessert1111 says:

For Barons, worth noting that Teubert has been the #8 defenseman. When Deck and Plante went down to injury and Teubert got his shot last game, he played very poorly and took at least one bad penalty, and now Andrew Hotham gets a shot and Teubert is scratched again. Martindale and Pelss can’t crack the playoff line-up either as well as Hamilton.

I’ve been really impressed with Lazar lately. Not quite 7th overall impressed, but impressed. It just seems that the Oilers select the Oil Kings players higher than they should be picked, and they seem to pick a lot of the wrong ones.

Been impressed with Sautner in the playoffs and a little disappointed in Corbett, though he was the better player in the regular season iirc. They were both draft eligible last year, I wonder if the Oilers take one with a late round pick? The Oil Kings defense and their top 9 are phenomenal at the Junior level.

48. gogliano says:

The Dys in the fight of their lives to go back to SJ 1-1.

I’d love to see Torres put in the OT winner.

dessert1111:

Lazar really grows on you. He won’t be top 10 on my draft week list but suspect he could go inside the top 10. He plays a lot and in all three disciplines.

As for Sautner, agree completely.. I’d bet money he gets drafted this year.

50. Racki says:

A lot of people might forget this, but ISS rankings had Curtis Lazar at #5 in their first rankings. He dropped like a rock as he struggled early on in the season. Now mind you, ISS isn’t the best scouting service, but still that does tell you that Lazar was really talked about early. And it wasn’t just ISS that liked him early.

That said though, I think we can’t get too wrapped up in the hometown team guy. We have the benefit of seeing him a tonne, but don’t get to see the others very much (or at all). You can’t draft with the heart, you have to listen to the scouts and pay attention to all the guys that are in the mix. I think Lazar is a fine player though.

If we drafted him, I wouldn’t be upset. He’s not the biggest guy, but he plays with size. He’s a spark plug.. he generates energy and can play physical hockey. He has a great shot and a great set of wheels. He’s very solid defensively (what a great PK job by him tonight, btw!)… really, what’s not to love about him? But yah, we’ve been here before where we drafted with our heart.

A lot of people also have to bear in mind that while we need a center pretty much NOW, any guy we draft should realistically be a couple years off at best (save for maybe Barkov). We were lucky to have guys jump in right away, but I wouldn’t bank on it with this pick. As they say, unless you pick high, when you draft by need over BPA, you are asking for trouble, because that player generally takes a while to get into your system, and by then your needs completely change (arguable in a deeper draft though that #7 is high enough).

Just some food for thought. And it might have much to do with why MacT is so willing to move that #7 pick. I’d like to see a study showing how long on average a #5-10 overall pick takes to enter the league and start making any impact.

51. gd says:

This was the best game I have seen Lazar play. He made Jones look pretty bad on his goal. That said, he still never jumps out to me the way I think I guy in junior would need to justify a top 10 pick.

I really thought Gernat was the best D on the ice tonight. I tell you one thing, I would be pretty stressed if we spent the 8th pick on Pouliot.

52. gogliano says:

You’re welcome.

53. pboy says:

gogliano:
    The Dys in the fight of their lives to go back to SJ 1-1.

I’d love to see Torres put in the OT winner.

You’re so hot right now!!!!

54. Scotty LaDouche says:

gogliano: The Dys in the fight of their lives to go back to SJ 1-1.I’d love to see Torres put in the OT winner.

Ladies and gentlemen, the incredible Kreskin!

55. gd says:

When do we start speculating that Vigneault is coming to Edmonton?

gd:
    When do we start speculating that Vigneault is coming to Edmonton?

Ask Gogliano!

57. Lucinius says:

Tonight went exactly as I hoped, outside of the Montreal win. Wild losing, Pens losing, Canucks losing, Oil Kings and Barons winning.

58. Ducey says:

Suck it Canucks!

59. Jordan says:

I’m pretty sure that bringing Torres back for round two is a bad plan. We’ve been to this dance before, and it was not a pretty breakup.

However, when a guy can crush a team’s spirit with a clutch goal like that… and he plays the style of game you want… Jesus that would help the Oilers. And of course, it’s vancouver, so that’s a HUGE plus.

You know, now I think I understand women who are interested in bad boys…

60. LMHF#1 says:

Canucks and their fans getting precisely what they deserve. Love it.

When it comes to Lazar, there’s no doubt he can play. Great wrister. Blows people up every now and again. Doesn’t seem to go a game without you noticing him most of the night. The thing is, I struggle with how high his ceiling actually is. I’m not sure how much polishing and growing is really left.

I still want the Oilers to acquire Samuelsson more than anyone else on that team.

61. tcho says:

Oh dear. Watching the OKC highlights on the Oilers site. Looks like it was shot by my mom (a lovely woman, but not tech. gifted/savvy). Dreadful quality.

62. gcw_rocks says:

Oilers should take BPA, even if that’s a defenceman. The player drafted will be a couple of years away and who knows what the defence will look like then or what defensive prosects will have cratered or been traded.

Over the last 20 years, how many times has the second pick from a trade down actaully turned into a useful NHL player?

If one of Nushechkin, Monahan, or Lindholm are on the board, trading down is really stupid.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: An assist, plus interference, unsportsmanlike, roughing and fighting penalties plus a misconduct. Sounds like fun.

For a guy like Eager… yea, that sounds like his version of fun hockey!

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Delighted about Pitlick, Van losing in a heartbreaker and that the universe continues to stroke my interest in hilarious names: Shmoorkoff!

amazing.

65. 719 says:

gcw_rocks:
    Oilers should take BPA, even if that’s a defenceman.The player drafted will be a couple of years away and who knows what the defence will look like then or what defensive prosects will have cratered or been traded.

This!