OIL KINGS V WINTERHAWKS 4.5.13

It’s game 2 of the WHL finals, Oil Kings up 1-0 after game one and looking to take a stranglehold on the series. I don’t think it happens tonight, there’s just too much in Portland for them to fold. Here’s the Oiler list:

1. Martin Gernat 17, 6-10-16 +21
  2. Curtis Lazar 17, 9-2-11 +5
  3. Travis Ewanyk 17, 5-4-9 +9
  4. Mitchell Moroz 17, 1-5-6 +6
  5. David Musil 17, 0-5-5 +11

Gernat’s the star here. No doubt.

14 Responses to "OIL KINGS V WINTERHAWKS 4.5.13"

1. Racki says:

Foreshadowing? How did Lazar end up on the “Oiler list”? lol

2. Racki says:

In other news, I’m jacked up for this one! And got a decent group of us going to game 3, 4, & 6 if there is a 6. Looking forward to the home games!

3. fuzzy muppet says:

are there any streams?

Racki:
    Foreshadowing? How did Lazar end up on the “Oiler list”? lol

Calls ‘em like I sees them. :-)

5. striatic says:

jesus Gernat’s numbers look incredible.

i hope the Oilers aren’t too eager with him and let him play at least a season in OKC.

6. Racki says:

Not a good start to this one, again. The rope a dope is in full effect.

7. WeridAl says:

I would have to disagree here, Musil has been rock solid, not getting the credit he deserves.

8. jp says:

Damn. Glad we didn’t draft that Samuelsson guy.

Never like to see that kind of thing happen. Sounds like he could be back though.

9. jp says:

And Samuelsson is back for his own PP. Never like to see that either after he looked like he might headed for surgery…

10. Racki says:

He is Ulf’s son, after all!

In all seriousness though, it was a dangerous hit and he could have been hurt bad

11. D says:

Was at the game tonight in Portland, LT. Man, the Oil got their teeth kicked in. They did not come out to play tonight. Entertaining game for the fans of the Winterhawks.

12. speeds says:

D:
    Was at the game tonight in Portland, LT.Man, the Oil got their teeth kicked in.They did not come out to play tonight.Entertaining game for the fans of the Winterhawks.

13. dangilitis says:

This thought of trading down from a very good top 7 draft pick to 10-20 range for Lazar really scares me. What are they looking for in return for such a trade? Do they think they will get an immediate roster player to suit their needs as part of the trade down, much less any roster player? I have been watching Lazar in the playoffs and I think the best he becomes is an eventual replacement for Horcoff. So could other players drafted in 2nd round or lower and that shouldn’t be the goal of a 1st round pick, it should be to push the depth in the top 6F or top 4 D.

Could he not slip to end of 1st or beginning of 2nd round, and would it not make more sense to trade our 2 2nd rounders for earlier 2nd round or late 1st round in an attempt to grab him there? I know Mackenzie put him just outside top 10 but most scouting reports put him in the 20-30 range. I think if we draft him between 10-20 that it’s a really risky move to get a possible role player. 8th on the team in playoff scoring does not impress me. Heck, I don’t think he will catch Kessy in playoff pts. And I also think the Oilers are doing a really bad job at “hiding” their love for the guy, which can only turn out to their disadvantage at the entry draft when they are trying to pull a trade.

Ending on a positive note, OKC Martin and EOK Martin, Fedun are doing very good things, Kessy had a small but impressive run, and Harti/Lander/Rajala are showing some nice chemistry. If OKC can push on into final 4 that will be a huge success this year.

14. D says:

speeds: Can you give me your take on Petan, curious to hear from someone that might have seen him live a bunch of times.

He was explosive last night and he really set the pace for the entire team, which skated Edmonton into the ground. I saw him as a rookie as well and this year is like night and day.

The obvious downside is his size, but heart and speed make up for it. He is clearly under the shadow of Seth Jones, and because of his size will fall in the draft to late first, early second round pick.

But if you’re an NHL team that already has enough size, then passing on Petan for size reasons alone would be a mistake. That being said, not sure if the Oilers should expend a first round or high second round pick on him, considering where they stand with smaller forwards.